Speaker 1: We're Tarmin Lorenzo and this is the Pop Style Opinion Fest. Hello get and welcome back to another edition of the PSO. I am the teen, you'r Tilo Tom Fitzgerald, and I'm here with the Low and your til Lorens. My love husband, are your lovely husband?
Speaker 2: Wonderfully fantastic.
Speaker 1: We have so much to talk about this topic heavy podcast. We have matters of style to discuss, matters of celebrity to discuss, and then we're going to talk about two TV shows. So it is living up to its name, The Pop Style Opinion Fest. Anything else you want any happy talking, you want to get out of your system?
Speaker 2: Oh no, it's just beautiful out, sunny, beautiful out.
Speaker 1: All the tourists are here in Philadelphia, and.
Speaker 2: I know you actually took a picture of.
Speaker 1: The line for the Liberty Bill this morning was just insane. So it's that time of year. And also it's the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary, but we won't be here for it anyway. Yeah, we're traveling to Europe, so we want this.
Speaker 2: It wasn't planned that way, We just happened to.
Speaker 1: It just happened to be. Well, we're going for a wedding. We're going to Ireland for a wedding and then we're going to We said we were going to tell people we're going to Edinburgh. After that we're.
Speaker 2: Going to Scotland. Yeah, so that's buh, very very I'm so excited. Looks like, oh my god, the most beautiful place.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be so hot though. Yes, all right, so that's our little happy talk. The cats are fine. Everything's good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everything's fine.
Speaker 1: Everything's fine, everything's everything.
Speaker 2: Tab is coming.
Speaker 1: Tab is going to jump up on the table any second, any second, anyway with a big thump. All right, So right out the gate, let's talk about matters of fashion, which is Olivia Rodrigo, the pop singer, is embroiled in a silly little controversy. It's not really a controversy at all, but she has brought I guess single hand because I guarantee this is now going to become a fashion item. So probably single handedly has brought the baby doll dress back into style. She last month wore one on stage to perform her late.
Speaker 2: Well, it's on the cover of the new album, so it's all part of her branding of the whole package for the new album. Called you Look Pretty Sad for a growing love.
Speaker 1: Right, and then the single she wore on stage like in the video or something drop dead, which.
Speaker 2: Is amazing song I love is it okay?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: Make me laugh? Cor Tom said that in terms of pop music, I have the dates of a sixteen year old girl, does I do? But that song is amazing. Anyway, I think she's very talented.
Speaker 1: To be honest, I think she's very talented, and I think she's very naive about baby doll dress. So let's start off with this. So she wore a baby doll dress, and let's define this baby doll dresses. It is a specific style of dress which is meant to mimic juvenile dresses, dresses for little girls. So it's a very short skirt, like very micro short skirt, like if she raised her arms, you would see her pante like you. That's usually she's built in feature of it.
Speaker 2: But she's also wearing bloomers, so it's the whole combo.
Speaker 1: Right, Usually puppy sleeves, and it doesn't have a defined waist. It's usually like triangle shaped. It's very much what little girls wear. When you put a little girl in a dress, it has a specific etymology. It has been called the baby doll dress because of the film Baby Doll in nineteen fifty six, which the lead character wore played by Carol Baker, wore a baby doll dress. And you know, Baby Doll was about a baby doll. Well, I mean, I don't know if cless why that is pedophilia, because I think she was playing a teenager, but it was. It's something it was about underage sex, and it was about about infantilizing women and as a form of sexualizing it. So this is not something that just got imposed on Olivia Rodrigo. This is a seventy year old term referring to a specific style of dress that was specifically designed to evoke childhood and sexuality. So that is a very very volatile combination. And in nineteen fifty six you could get away with that. But even then it was a controversial style. And then in the nineteen sixties that style of dress actually became popular among adult women, and it was popularized a lot by the sex kittens of the nineteen sixties, these screensiren's, big hair, winged eyes, you know, coquettish sexuality. The Bridgie Bardouz of that era and then in the nineties it was repurposed again by you know, riot girl singers like Courtney Love.
Speaker 2: Yes, uh, And it was part.
Speaker 1: Of that whole Kinderhorr movement in the nineties, which in that instance it was a sort of post feminist punk take on the baby doll because they weren't sexualizing the dress. They were removing the sexualization of it, the undertones, and they were adding all of this sort of violent punk imagery, messy hair slash, you know, messy makeup, that sort of thing, grungy, you know, adding grungy items on top of it. In all in order to take it away from its juvenile undertones and from its sexual undertones. It was more about defying those things, defying femininity, defying coquettish, and being more in your face about it. That is not what Olivia Rodrigo is doing. She's embracing it completely.
Speaker 2: Go all right. She made a statement, and I think that's what they her team had in mind to go with the court Love, because she actually mentioned I'm glad you mentioned Courton Love, because she actually said that I wanted to go with sort of like a court and Love kind of Look, if you watch the video, I don't know about the cover, can't remember, but the video she's wearing boots, you know.
Speaker 1: I know she does wear nihil black leather boots with it, which does go against the baby dolls.
Speaker 2: So it exploded everywhere with all of the social media TikTok and et cetera. And she she was kind of shocked that because you know, she's young, she's twenty three three, she's twenty three. I don't know what the team was thinking. The thing is that I wish they had an argument why they chose that dress, you know, because usually like look look at Taylor Swift for example, when she did the whole you know Vegas thing, right you show girl, she went with a showgirl look. So I wish they had a better explanation why they chose to that look for this particular album.
Speaker 1: Can I yeah, sure, I just want to I want to say here, there's no there's no real scandal here. A young woman is allowed to dress however she wants to dress, and I don't think she should be criticized for wearing baby doll dresses if that's what she wants to wear. However, those dresses are not without implications, and she is she seemed very ignorant of what the implications of those dresses are. And that's fine, All of it's fine. This is not a criticism of her, But it's more we're unpacking the fact that because she did this thing where she said, you know, in defense of herself, she was like, well, if you look at it that way, I think you're normalizing pedophilia, which is shows a complete lack of understanding about what that's Also.
Speaker 2: That the whole dress is rooted in female liberation, which I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't think that's true either. The baby doll dress was it was a pedophile dream. I mean, that's how it has evolved. I get it. And she should not be criticized, right, and no woman actually should be criticized for wearing those dresses. But they do have implications to them, and pretending that they don't, right is And she did this thing where she said, you know where she fell back on I get it. She fell back on the whole we're policing what women wear kind of thing. And and you know that tends to get my back up because I've been hearing that for twenty years, for as long as we've been doing what we do because we're not policing what women wear. We're discussing what fashion does, what meanings and aesthetics and messages and fashion send out. And I think.
Speaker 2: There's a crowd out there to do what you just said we don't do. But again, and she's responding to that, and I understand that. I'm sure people called her a whore or whatever. I'm sure they called her a slut. And she made the point that she she said, as you know, like for example, I've I've worn more revealing outfits. It's not about a And I think that's that's that's when she missed a point. It's not about you what you wear. It's you choosing a certain item that has a whole history of a lot of things.
Speaker 1: So again, TikTok generation is so uh. Their antenna are so up for like pedophile and age gap and all that I can't even mention the words, Yeah, you can't. So it's not surprising that this abrupted among fans among young people. But they aren't wrong to point out like that is what the implication it is juvenile dresses that are made to make adult women look sexy.
Speaker 2: Also, we have to point out that someone likely we were doing her fans are.
Speaker 1: Very young, and she's very young, so I catty.
Speaker 2: Young and you know, anyway, I think she was shocked, honestly, but you know, I understand that. But at the same time, you have forty p people around your creating a package here to promote your album. Uh, and nobody discussed that baby.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, okay, but I think that, like I said, to wear baby do all dresses on stage, there's no scan career, but I think there probably should have been a prepared understand why. That's what it goes to what you said about, well, why are you wearing for.
Speaker 2: This specific album? Yeah? Why? I mean because usually you choose a whole package. You know, at least that's most people do. Sabrina Corbet or Taylor Swift, they all do, so I don't know. Yeah, So anyway, we're still talking about it and magazines are writing articles about it.
Speaker 1: They're gonna be on the Runway next season. Yeah, I mean probably pretty much brought them back. And you know, we've been doing style commentary for twenty years now and they they were in style during that period, so it hasn't been that long since baby doll dresses were last in style. Probably I don't know, circa two thousand and eight or so, it's probably been about fifteen.
Speaker 2: As a queer man, queer man, I think it's a great look.
Speaker 1: I know, I always thought it was a disturbing I did. It's especially when they really embraced the little girls.
Speaker 2: It depends on how you style it the way she did the way she did it, I.
Speaker 1: Thought it was confusing. The black boots just kind of like now. I mean, if you want to wear like high top sneakers or something, that's fine, but I don't I didn't think the black boots went all right. Moving on Billy Eichner, comic Billy Eigner, he God bless him. I've always been a fan of Billy as a loud mouth gay man with a lot of opinions. I feel like very simpatico with him. I also feel that he like certain gay men in the public eye who have made their careers on being loud and obnoxious gay men. And again there's a certain sympathy there, like, Okay, we we sort of did the same thing, although we're bloggers not not actors. There's a certain sympathy because I could I could tell for years that he was struggling against the image of himself that he had put out in the world of this screaming, screaming.
Speaker 2: Homosexuallyrand and he didn't like it. He didn't like it. He actually said that he didn't like that everyone associated him with the Billy on the Street type of you know, screaming you know, persona asking questions, blah blah blah. But you know, I don't know, you know what you got.
Speaker 1: Really, let's let's talk about why we're talking about Billy. There was a big splashy New York Times article this week, of course, of course, for his new memoir, And I could not roll my eyes at this hard enough because first off, it's Billy on Billy is the name of the Let me just say I do like Billy. He's carved out and knits for himself that he seems intent on destroying. But I also think in recent years his sense of self is very inflated, like you're just not that big a deal, Billy Eichner, You're not that big a comedian, You're not that big a celebrity, and like Billy on Billy, Like, okay, well, are there a lot of people that were asking for that? I know this sounds meaner than I wanted. At least Madonna, I mean Barbara and Barbara, that makes sense, Liza, Unliza, but come on, And it's also I'm being really mean here. But it's an audio only memoir. Yes, it's a sad podcast, which which to me was like what he didn't write it.
Speaker 2: His explanation was that because he's always creamy and people assist with Billy on the street, he wanted to have a soft because he talks about his mother, who story I know, and his mother his father they both passed.
Speaker 1: But ostensibly the point of the book, like he adds all the mom and dad stuff in there, But the point, the central point of the book, and the point of the piece in the in the New York Times, was that he how painful it was that his movie flopped, right, Christ So we talked about Bros. When it first came out, and we did a podcast about it. I should have gone back to listen to it. And I don't think we trashed the film.
Speaker 2: No, we didn't.
Speaker 1: It was a it was you know, it was okay, but we kind of trashed him for how he was acting during that period.
Speaker 2: But the thing is that I don't know what he was Wait, I mean expecting look at this movie now with Jennifer Lopez office roommate. I mean, we're gonna forget about this movie five minutes. My point is that people do shit and they don't become huge successful.
Speaker 1: He so Bros. Was a gay romantic comedy, and from the jump he couldn't just let this be like, here's my gay romantic comedy. It became this big like issue where we all needed to support this because and straight people needed to support this. And I remember he made such a big deal out of the fact that literally not every single member of the cast was some form of queer and I was like, well, why, that's that's just goofy gimmickry. That's just if you don't need to make sure there are no straight people on your set when you make a gay film, that sort of gimmicky short of nonsense. That's that actually put a pall over the film before it even came out. I remember he was on I think the VMA's or something one of the MTV shows. It might have been the Movie Awards, and he did this big riff about America needs to come out like he did into his microphone America needs to come out and support gay blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: I think we came a long way when it comes to queer entertainment TV shows, but we're not there yet. I mean, look, even Heated Rivalry is a huge success right now, but it's not like across the board. I mean, it's not for everybody.
Speaker 1: No, but it is the kind of success that he wanted for pros.
Speaker 2: But well they're both young, and yeah, that's a whole different story. But anyway, my point is that we're not there yet. I have watched so many great things that you know, it's not for everybody. It doesn't interest everybody because we're still very much you know, white straight society.
Speaker 1: Not only that. I mean, and I remember saying this at the time with Bros. Bros was every bit a classic rom com in style, all the in the character types, in the plot points. And I don't like rom coms, and I would wager that a significant portion of gay men are just not into Heated Rivalry. Well, I said this before he did. Rivalry wasn't for gay man. It was the straight win. That's why it's so But gay men generally, and I know there is a gay romance its fandom, and a significant portion of those are gay men. But generally, as a group, I don't think we're especially when you get into like elder millennials and above. We were not socialized to embrace that sort of thing. So the whole point of that movie, I was like, all right, I'll watch it, but I'm not into these kinds of stories.
Speaker 2: Right, and yeah, I can only speak for experience. I mean, when we talk about rum coms in general, iro at that this is not for me. There's not for me. And I remember having conversation with my queer friends and even queer rum they were just like, oh what now.
Speaker 1: The only one I ever liked was Fire Island. Yeah, right, and again Billy. Both of those films came out in the same year, and Billy kind of accidentally or he made some rather dismissive commentary about it. She didn't go well, which didn't got I mean, the whole everything about how he handled that film. He was expecting too much, the thing is, and then he had a public Milton when you know, he blamed straight people for a right for some reason, he thought that you know, straight people owe that to him, you know, like that they would have to like, support this movie because whatever, it doesn't work that way, it doesn't it doesn't work. I mean, you know, I've you look at someone like Ben Wishaw, for example, amazing actor.
Speaker 2: He pretty much plays a gay character in everything.
Speaker 1: Because he can't. I mean, he has it'd be very hard to cast that guy as a straight man, right, And.
Speaker 2: He talks about that. But he's so talented and look, you know, I mean, I mean, he finds interesting roles, but he's not like, you know, very very famous, you know, like that everybody is running to see his movies or TV shows. That's what that's my point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's I just wanted to bring it up because I do feel bad for him. He really can't let this go, and I think he's destroying his brand. To be perfectly honest, like, if your whole thing is I want to be soft spoken Billy, well okay, good luck with that, but that that's not what people want from you. I mean, I understand if you don't want to be screaming at total strangers on the street for the rest of your career, I get it. But this complete one eighty into I'm going to write a memoir about my mother and my feelings like, all right, well, I don't really think this is what people want from you, much like Bros Was not what people wanted from you.
Speaker 2: I understand wanting to expand your career and do other things, but sometimes it doesn't work and you just have to face it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, we've rambled a bit too long here. Let's go for a break and then we'll come back and talk about one more bit of celebrity gossip before we jump into the TV stuff. We'll be right back. We're back in our final final bit of celebrity gossip before we launch into our TV talk. Is actually about a TV show mob Land, starring Pierce President and Helen Mirren and maybe Tom Hardy for the next season. Who knows. It came out this week. I'm going to toss to Lorenzo on this because he actually want you watched the full season, right, I watched both seasons. All right, let me just do the setup and then I'm tossing to you for all the details. So it came out this week that Tom Hardy was being fired from the show where he wasn't coming back for the second season, and then there was a flurry of reports that he and Helen Mirren had clash and that some of the classes were about Palestine, which I didn't think was really likely. It just sounded like a lot of publicists were trying to get their version of the story out, and ultimately I think Miron made a statement and the producers made a statement, and it doesn't look like he's fired, but it sure sounds like that is one messy as hell set. All right, you fill all the rest in well, it just.
Speaker 2: I've got to figure out what magazine on what site came out with an art of saying that, you know, Tom Hardy was fired from Moblin. That's how the whole thing started, right, And then everyone was like what wow, And then all these stories came out and well, apparently, and that part is true. I believe allegedly he was always late, but he's famous for that, and Helen Mirren specifically, not so much Pierce Prosen, but Halen mireor specific was complaining about it that you know that they wait for hours for him to come out and do the scene, so apparently he he was late. He was getting to fights with the show's creator and producer, presenting like script notes at the last minute, and you know, fighting for them at the last minute, that kind of stuff, so causing a lot of trouble on set. And you guys might have read in the past that Charlie then had kind of the same complaints about him on The Man Max. Apparently she was a very stressful set. They were on the it was very hot desert, and apparently the director was kind of an asshole too, That's that's what I read. And things were very tense, and he was always late, he wouldn't take forever to come out of trailer, and so she complained about him, and she Yeah, there's like a book. There's a whole book written.
Speaker 1: About Buchanan, who is a mutual on social media and writes for The New York Times. He wrote a book, Blood, Sweat and Crown, The Wild and True Story of Mad Max Fierry wrote.
Speaker 2: A couple of years ago.
Speaker 1: The set was brutal, and it was a legendarily a contentious set, and it made it sound like it was mostly him. I mean, I don't think Charlie's has a reputation for being difficult, but Tom Hardy absolutely does.
Speaker 2: And the thing is that Charlie theren is she is tough. She's a tough woman.
Speaker 1: She was scared, but she says that's my point.
Speaker 2: I mean, if she complained about it and said she was kind of like worried and it's you know, scared, I mean that something happened. I mean, but apparently he was in character being an asshole the whole time and even want to come out of histrailia blah blah blah blah blah. So anyway, so the same thing apparently was happening again with Moblin. And the thing is that these three actors are a main.
Speaker 1: Character, central character.
Speaker 2: So take Tom Hardy. How are you gonna explain that? Right?
Speaker 1: I guess I could kill him off?
Speaker 2: Why now? But even so then you don't have a show anymore certain way anyway, So I think that's why he's not getting fired because they can't. They can't fire him because otherwise they don't have a show. They don't have a third season. That's my take.
Speaker 1: There's not gonna be They're gonna have one really right, gritted teeth season. Now obvious that everybody in the cast hates each other, and then they're not coming back. That's what's probably gonna happen.
Speaker 2: The thing is that I think Helen Muhraan wasn't liking. She didn't like the whole narrative about her, you know, because then on social media and TikTok specifically, they were talking about, well, she's pro Israel and he's propoust to and that's why, you know, she probably told them to fight.
Speaker 1: I don't think so.
Speaker 2: I don't think that any of that happened. Yeah, I know, and I think she didn't like that. That's why she posted something on Instagram about him, saying, you know, like, I don't know, I love you, but.
Speaker 1: Some some but it sounded like he was difficult on seting.
Speaker 2: I think he was just difficult, and you know, and that's something I never understood. I read stories about that, and I'm like, all right, you very famous, but come on, that's not professional.
Speaker 1: You know, like that the whole not coming out of your trailer thing.
Speaker 2: I now, wow, you I still still do that. I know. I don't think that kind of depth my point. I don't think that kind of behavior should be accepted.
Speaker 1: I don't think it is as accepted as it once was. So that's why this is coming out. But that whole you know, abusing the crew, make wasting hours a time, you know, the industry is not flush with cash at the moment, so we can't put up with that sort of ship. You can't put up with stars, you know, wasting hamp a day or whatever.
Speaker 2: You lose the light, you lose something.
Speaker 1: You're paying union wages to everyone to stand around.
Speaker 2: So I think I was.
Speaker 1: Actually a little surprised to hear those whole Oh he spent hours in his trailer.
Speaker 2: I was like, Wow, they still do that. Huh they do, And I think that's why he hasn't been fired, because they need it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I always thought he was an asshole. Yeah, I always thought he was an asshole.
Speaker 2: I know, I don't know. He's so great in the show.
Speaker 1: I think he's a great actor, but a person, I'm like, I can just tell that's not someone you'd want to work.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I mean he looks and sounds difficult.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he sounds difficult. All right, let's just lead into the next and we'll start talking about Hacks.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. Yes, Well, we.
Speaker 1: Have two shows to talk about this week, one of which we're saying goodbye to and the other one we're saying hello too. So we're going to talk about Hacks, which had its finale series finale last night, and we're just gonna talk about the entire series and the final season, and then after that, we're going to talk about Widow's Bay on Apple TV, which is our new favorite show and you absolutely need to watch it, and we're going to talk about that after Hacks, and the beginning of that convo will be spoiler free, but the end of that conversation, which we will give you warnings, we're going to get into spoilers because I know some of you have already watched it and we need to talk about some of these episodes.
Speaker 2: All right, So Hacks Hecks, I have to start by saying that I'm glad it's gone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love it. I love that show. But and we checked in on it early in this season for our podcast, but we said we weren't going to be doing like recaps of it, and I'm I'm happy with that. I went. I had to sort of binge to get through the rest of the season in time to watch the because I really let it fall off my viewing schedule. So I watched like six episodes in a row. I got like a shot of it. And it wasn't a bad season of television at all. It had some real highlights. It was actually, I think better than the poor season which almost ruined the show.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 1: So they got back into their vibe, they got back into their groove, and then it became okay, let's wrap this up. Like there was just a bunch of episodes where I was like, well, why are we still here? What are we doing? Like, what's going on here?
Speaker 2: Why do we have to write lines for these people? Sort of? I mean, like the daughter never came back? Why not?
Speaker 1: You know, she has her own show. She has two shows.
Speaker 2: Actually know it is like, you know, that's she's so.
Speaker 1: Funny too, and they're so funny together, I know, but she actually has two other shows. She's got It's always sunny, and she has that other like it's like a procedural on ABC or whatever.
Speaker 2: But she was hysteric with with her body.
Speaker 1: Yeah mma husband, And then the the Amazing Rays episode was really funny. But I don't I don't have a lot of critiques of the season. I just felt like, it's we need to wrap it up. It's time this we're just sort of spinning our wheels on a lot of this stuff. So let's talk about some of the arcs of the season. I one of the things I had a problem with the show since the previous season, and we talked about it last year, was that some of the plotting on this show, it's very lazy, and they don't it doesn't actually make a lot of sense if you know anything about the world. So, for instance, last season, the entire season was based on an idea of late night television that simply it does not reflect reality at all. Like, first off, no one's getting new shows. Secondly, no women are getting shows, and third no one in their seventies is getting a show. So she gets this show and I'm like, all right, you're already this doesn't reflect anything about the current world. And prior to that happening, the first three seasons of Hacks, it felt like we were looking at real people in the real world, and now it's like, okay, you're going off into fantasy. And it was the same thing with this season, which with the whole Madison Square Garden thing, I did not like that idea at all. As soon as it was announced, I was like, Oh, the whole fucking season is going to be about this show, about preparing for this show, And I even thought the whole I'm like, preparing for this show that is not going to happen.
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 1: I never thought that show was going to happen. So it felt like a lot of wheel spinning, like it was. It was nine episodes of preparing for this and it was a thing, and it was done in such a way like I'm pretty sure you can't trick someone into giving you a date for and I don't think you can trick people into buying tickets. And then later like the penultimate episode, I don't really think you can get thirty thousand people to show up in Central Portagram three days notice with no planning.
Speaker 2: Right, the whole license to get a license thing, She like, Oh, I'm taking my break now, I'm not going to listen to my favorite book cast. Oh that happens to be produced.
Speaker 1: I rolled my eyes at that so hard. That's the thing about lazy, crazy writing.
Speaker 2: That's what I don't like about these writers, the writers for the show, is that they they want to make certain points, they want to make about certain things in.
Speaker 1: So they just sort of rush past. So they just sprinkle them all over and they rush past explaining anything. So and yes, that scene with oh my god, you produced my favorite podcast and what Okay, you get a light, you get yeah, you get a permit?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, permit.
Speaker 1: All of that is just and there's so much of that where it just doesn't describe a real world. It doesn't describe people who act in real ways, it doesn't describe the entertainment industry. None of this is realistic.
Speaker 2: I watched the show. I have watched the show because of those two main amazing women, Jeane Smart and Hannah ein Bend. I think they are phenomenal and those two characters were great. It was about two different women having to go through a lot of stuff together. Yeah, kind of they beginning to being forced be together and kind of developed developing a relationship. I think it's awesome. In fact, the episode the lesbian I call it the episode they make a point about that, well, you too are in a relationship.
Speaker 1: They are in a relationship. I had heard about that episode before I actually saw it, and some of the headlines made it sound like they actually were a couple, and I was like, oh God, no, that's not worth that's not They didn't do that today, And I would not have been furious if they had made those two a couple. At the end of the Actually, I would have found it dumb. I'm not opposed to queer storylines or people discovering their queerness late in life. It happens, but.
Speaker 2: There's nothing wrong. It was too easy.
Speaker 1: There's nothing wrong with depicting an unusual friendship, unusual and a deep friendship between two people, and you don't have to make it sexual or romantic. In fact, I think sometimes we don't have enough depictions of that in the culture. Deep deep, deep friendships and you know, cross generational friendships. You never see that sort of.
Speaker 2: Thing, especially you know, among women, because yeah, because most shows about women are there they're fighting, right.
Speaker 1: Well, there was quite a bit of that, and I didn't mind that, but I that's my main critique. Well we'll get into uh, the finale and all that, but my main critique is that the show creates scenarios that are so far removed from reality that it just kind of annoys me. And I'm like, why couldn't you have filled in some more details a little bit better?
Speaker 2: I mean, And it's just the things that they do, like the whole thing with a company with well yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, God, I don't hate Jimmy and Kala the way you do, Yes, I do. I don't hate them the way you do. I feel that there's a place for them in the story. Okay, go ahead. But these last few episodes were everything that was going on with them was happening separate from from the main story, and I really I didn't care. And again, it was insanely unrealistic. The idea that he would be first off, the idea that he would even wind up in the mail room. I didn't find that believable at all. He is well connected, he does you know, he would not have put up with that, and you know, no, I just didn't agree with that at all. And then his whole oh well, I found some things and I opened some envelopes, and now you have to give me control of the company. Okay, fine, fuck you. You control the company.
Speaker 2: What I know? I know everything. The mother is happy now with a partner, you know, and you know, Marty comes back.
Speaker 1: It's just like and I actually wish they had gotten together.
Speaker 2: But my point is, everything is like, okay, we have to take care of all the characters.
Speaker 1: Now, yeah, yeah, all right, let's take a short break and then we'll get into the finale and all that. All right, we'll be right back. We're back, and we're gonna I do. I feel bad because so much of my commentary today about Hacks is negative. I did not like the finale. I didn't hate the finale, but I didn't love it.
Speaker 2: I thought it was a cheap shot as a mission to you. When you bring in y.
Speaker 1: As literally the last episode and assisted suicide literally the last episode, I'm like, this is not what this show was about. This is not what the vibe of the show was about, and it doesn't seem like it's lovely. In many ways, the scenes in Paris were actually lovely. Those two actresses are insanely good together, so it was somewhat enjoyable in that sense. But I kept thinking, like, this is so weird that they decided to end it this way, and I knew they weren't going to end with her dying, so again, it was more it was sort of like the same thing with the Madison Square Garden, where it's like, well, I know that's not going to happen, so we're just gonna waste a lot of time until we get to why it's not happening, And that's exactly how it played out. It's it was sweet don't get me wrong, I'm not that cold hearted. It was very sweet. It was very emotional having Barbara and Judy saying happy days are here again at the end of it was genius. Needle Drop could not have summed up the entire point of that show better than with that one song, because it's an old veteran and a young you know, young upstart and they're harmonizing together. So it was such a beautiful choice ended on a lovely note. But I just really hated the whole I'm going to Switzerland to die.
Speaker 2: What that's how you're doing this yet? Yeah? That that made no sense to me. And I think, like I said, it's just an easy way to you know, and add some emotions. Yeah. Yeah. I feel like this is the problem with shows like The East, that you have creators like that and then they they're also characters.
Speaker 1: In Down You, he's your enemy.
Speaker 2: I can't stand it. Well, the fact that he's naked in one of the scenes. This is a queer thing, right, There no need for him to be naked, but he has a great body. I'm the creator, so I'm gonna be naked, right so people can talk about that kind of stuff drives me crazy like her his friend. I mean, that's how he found Megan Stelter. He found her, loved her, and I was like, all right, you're gonna be a character. I hate that kind of approach because you're forcing things into it. The only thing that I find interesting and deep and amazing is those two women aside from them, and I know, and I know, you can't have a show with just two people.
Speaker 1: No, I agree, but they are the show and anytime it gets away from them, there are I don't hate any of the characters, but I do feel like I don't even hate Kayla. I just feel like most of the other characters they never knew what to do with. I've always talked about Marcus, that guy. They never hated the guy, but I was like, what is the point of this character? He's just morose In every scene, he always seems annoyed, and he never goes anywhere. Christopher McDonald is Marty like, what do you you?
Speaker 2: Never?
Speaker 1: They have insane fucking chemistry together. There should have been a whole on again, off again romance with those characters, but they seemed like completely against it for some reason.
Speaker 2: The lesbian I call it the lesbians.
Speaker 1: One and one more thing. The blackjack dealer, Oh right, fucking hilarious, and she's on We get to see her for maybe three minutes a season. This is what I mean. You never knew what to do and not to be mean. But they spent too much time on the housekeeper and the assistant. Yes, they're not that funny.
Speaker 2: They weren't that interesting. Nothing nothing to the other assistant. He's I mean, the actor's kind of funny. But those characters never ever went anywhere. I totally agree that that has always been the problem with the show, is that you had two amazing central characters and then you had all these colorful side characters that you didn't want to develop, so they just sort of they they're not really people, they're just there. And yeah, I agree. More Kiki more was that her name.
Speaker 1: Was hilarious, and she they almost never used her hilarious. I do want to end on a nice note. I do think, as much as I found it completely unrealistic, the Central Park ending was I wish the season had ended there there. It was triumphant, it was beautiful. I don't think it made a ton of sense, but it was mostly earned, like, okay, fine, but we're on a show with.
Speaker 2: A ton of things that don't make sense. That would have been a nice one.
Speaker 1: That would have been a nice one, And I just I really wish it had ended on that. It would have been such a perfect capper to this series, but instead it turned into this please don't die thing at the end.
Speaker 2: I think when it's about them, like the episode where they would Leslie uh Bess as a guest actress appearance guests, she she was hill. She was so funny. The whole thing about them pretending to be a couple. It was freaking hilarious.
Speaker 1: That was the best episode of the season because it was funny. And that is the other thing about this show is that for a show about two comedians, it wasn't as funny as it should have been. And that's a big complaint is in five seasons of the show, we almost never saw one of Devors sets like someone needed to write a killer set, a killer stand up set, and we should have seen her deliver at least one killer stand All we heard about was what a legend she was, but we never got to see it, and in fact, we had multiple scenes of her over the series bombing terribly, So you kind of worked against your purposes. You should have gotten some comics to write a killer type five and have her deliver it just so the audience could see it.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 1: I do love the show.
Speaker 2: Though I liked the idea of the show. I enjoyed the show for the most part. But every time, as you said, it felt like a different show when he when it switched to the other characters. So it's like, all right, like we're taking a break here and we're watching something else.
Speaker 1: Jimmy, We're like a total sitcom. God, it just happening completely apart from everybody else.
Speaker 2: So annoying because their lines were so like, oh my god, not real, you know, like I just want to make a pointee about something, so I'm giving you a line. It was just it didn't felt it didn't feel like organic at always.
Speaker 1: Now, Well that's that's a good way of putting it. It's so much of us just does not feel organic. Yeah, it all felt very contrived.
Speaker 2: Yes, I want to make a pointee about the industry, about I don't know how offices work and how pitching a show that's how it works. So I'm going to create this scene here and you know, if you if you understand the industry, like we're kind of doing a way. I mean, then you find that kind of funny and interesting and you see why they're doing it. But at the same time, I'm like why it makes no sense?
Speaker 1: Right, But listen, I salute those two ladies. Yes, I think they're both up for Emmys again. And as much as I think sometimes the Emmys get into a rut and reward the same show, I would not be upset if Jean Smart one another Emmy because I think she really killed me. I think she's won three or four every single season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, it.
Speaker 1: Was lovely, but it was an imperfect show, and like a lot of shows in the modern era, it probably could have ended after three seasons.
Speaker 2: I agree. It started very strong and then he got lost and then he kind of like sort of like you know, got better, sort of better. And then I actually when I started watching this season, I watched like three episodes and I stoppedcause like, I can't take this anymore. And then I finished it, and I have to say I was kind of like annoyed that I had to watch it, but I actually enjoyed a lot of it. A lot of it. I thought Paris was awesome, because of course it's Paris and they're great. Yeah, a lot of things were great. And I actually got very emotion during the scene in Central Park, you know, like the whole thing when they're when she thanking everyone for that moment. Blah blah blah. I mean stuff like that. It's interesting, I agree, and it goes with a character, goes with a character's history. But everything else is just like, all right, you're just giving lines to your friends. Agreed.
Speaker 1: Do you want to take another break and we'll come back and talk about Widow's Bay or do you want to go right into it.
Speaker 2: Sure, let's take a break.
Speaker 1: All right, we're back and having said goodbye to Hacks, we need to say hello to Widow's Bay.
Speaker 2: Oh god, yes.
Speaker 1: On Apple TV Plus. You know I was hearing buzz about this show about a month before it dropped. We I don't even ask for screeners anymore. I just figured I'll talk about this show after it airs. It's not worth it trying to get screeners.
Speaker 2: No, because the thing is that there are so many shows coming out all the time that it's hard to keep up with him. I have to say someone I can't remember one of our readers on Instagram maybe recommended the show, So I want to thank you because I was like, oh, maybe I should give it a shot. Yeah, and I and I watched it and I loved it, absolutely loved it.
Speaker 1: I had heard about it and and some critics were like, this is the best new show of the year, and I was like, all right, And I did watch the first episode the week it came out, and I wasn't. It didn't grab me, mainly because the first episode is really a wash in the sort of shit's Creak twin Peaks vibe of like a year in a small town and everyone's very colorful and weird and dysfunctional and it I just didn't appeal to me in that first episode. It just did not appeal to me because he is so let's talk about this.
Speaker 2: Widow's Bay is.
Speaker 1: A comic horror series.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: Set on a on an island in the Wing, England that has a host of curses upon it and everything like that. But it is a comic series and the central character is the mayor played by Matthew Reese, and it's all about his like his foibles and and and Shenanigan says he tries to run this town and he tries to get tourists to come to the turn it into His whole goal is to turn it into the next Martha's Vineyard, and he is thwarted by these locals who are all, you know, very colorful, very strange, and and and if if that was the only thing the show was, I would have tapped out after one episode. But I have to say and there's a part of me that's almost reluctant to say this, because when someone says this to me, I almost always tap out, Which is it gets so much better after you if you stick with it.
Speaker 2: It does. It does.
Speaker 1: But this is a thing that people always say in the streaming era, and what it usually means is you have to sit through six hours before there's some sort of payoff, And I'm telling you now that's not the case.
Speaker 2: Right or you force yourself into liking something which is not the case. I love it from the beginning because I watched so many this Cannaving shows about you know, like dark islands and small towns and you know, people in mar so I was. I loved it right from the air. And Matthew, my god, Matthew Rees is just incredible.
Speaker 1: It's a hell of a comedic performance. I did not know he had it into him to be that much of a clown expression. Yeah, I mean he's he's really giving, like Don Knuts in a horror film kind of thing. Just I didn't know he was like that. I didn't know he could be like that on camera. I think I tend to see him as someone who's a little more serious all the time. It also stars Stephen Root, who is killing it.
Speaker 2: And then it's.
Speaker 1: Got like these great character actresses like Dale Dicky and Kay Callen and Katie o Flynn who plays Patricia.
Speaker 2: She's just funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's really really funny. Oh and Jeff Hiller, but he only has a small part. Jeff Hiller who won the Emmy last year for what is it Somebody Somewhere?
Speaker 2: So oh yeah, right, yeah.
Speaker 1: So you know, there's like hauntings, and there's curses, and there's witches and there's all this other stuff and I have to say when it wants oh, and there's killer clowns. That's the thing. It's sort of it pays homage to so many things. One of the heaviest, heaviest influences on it, and they're not shy about it. Is Jaws. You there's all these allusions to Jaws, like the Mayor and and you know, opening up the beaches and there's a scene on a boat in the latest episode very much evokes Jaws. But when it wants to be scary, it is legitimately scary. The killer clown scene, I actually had a pause it. I was like, Okay, this is a little too intense, but I will say, if you're not into horror, it's not it's not going to give you nightmares, and it's not gory. It's not that kind of horror.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm here to tell you that because I can't stand it's not any of that.
Speaker 1: And if you don't even have jump scaries, it's more like high high tension. And it plays on what you know about the stories that they're showing you because there's so many illusions. Like I said, there's a killer clown, they they dig up someone who's not dead, that sort of thing.
Speaker 2: The whole hotel thing, very you know, like all that kind of pale.
Speaker 1: I don't want to get into too right.
Speaker 2: But pay much to all these great movies.
Speaker 1: It's just clever and funny. And by the fourth episode I was hooked and Like I said, I was mildly interested up to that. I really didn't like the first second and third I kind of okay, that's interesting, and then fourth episode I was like, oh, okay, this is creative as hell.
Speaker 2: It is extremely creative. The writing is genius.
Speaker 1: It's just so smart, yes, and well reserved. I don't know if it's going to be if they're going to wrap it up brilliantly. I do think the last two episodes are showing an intelligence and maturity in the writing that I wasn't quite getting in the first couple of episodes. I do want to get into spoilery stuff, so I think from here on out, you know, right, I just want to mention to create the creatible.
Speaker 2: Yes, she is really really good. The lines are hysterical, delivered in such a brilliant way by Matthew specifically yea, yeah, yeah, God, it's just funny, funny, funny, funny.
Speaker 1: Funny, and then when it wants to be scary, it's it's legitimately scary. But from this point on are going to start doing a few spoilers. I mean, there weren't that many twists and turns, and you know, but whatever, if you if you haven't seen the show yet. Take care of yourself, love you mean it, Bye bye, and the rest of us are going to keep talking. Okay, So Patricia's Sunset Cocktails party was when the show went completely like, oh no, this is actually really really smart filmmaking and smart writing because it was hilarious. It was really really funny, and then it took a sharp turn and you were like, oh no, this is horrifying. This is kind of scary. Like when you saw all the faces in the mirror, you know what I'm.
Speaker 2: Talking about, looking at me kind of I'm just looking at you because you love me, Yes, I love me so much, and.
Speaker 1: The antlers on her head and everything. I just just really really well done.
Speaker 2: The hotel scene was incredible, like the whole conversation. Yes, and then he goes into basement. I mean that was scary.
Speaker 1: It was scary, is That's what I mean? That was the one I had a pause. I was like, all right, that's a little that's a little freaky. When the first time he went down in the basement and he saw the crawl space that he was supposed to go into, and he was like, not a chance. And I was like, I love when people in horror stories act like people I know, I know, and that is one of the great things about him in this is that he acts like a real person in this story. Uh, what else did I want to talk about? I want to talk about Betty Gilpin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well we need to explain why.
Speaker 1: And well, if you're listening, you've probably seen because it's a fantastic explanation of the whole curse, the whole thing going on on the Acay. So Betty Gelpin comes in in the latest episode and the entire or actually not the latest the but the penultimate latest episode, and they do a total shift and they go back a flashback to seventeen oh two and she arrives in this village and she's betrothed to the basically the sheriff or mayor of the village is played by Hamish Link later it's Derek, and they're both so good. The thing about Betty Gilben is you can hand her a character like that who doesn't have a lot of background to her, doesn't have a lot of story to her, and it's a one off. I'm pretty sure we're not going to see that character again. No, I don't, And yet she imbus that character was so alive and there was so much going on with her in that forty minutes that she was on screen. Because that's what you do. If you have a character like that, you handed to an actress like Betty Gilben because she's going to make that character come alive and become indelible. She is like one of the most memorable characters on the show right and she probably won't come back.
Speaker 2: She is phenomenal. I'll watch anything, yeah, anything with Betty. She is just incredible. And I read an interview with her and she joked, she said, you know, I'd love over the top acting in a bonnet. Yea, she said, give me that now you know. You know I'm a sucker for that. So anyway, she she loves that kind of you know, over the top acting, and she does such a great job.
Speaker 1: And I want to a note that, like, for instance, on her episode, which was directed by Ty West, the horror filmmaker, the cinematography on that episode was stunning, all that candle light and everything, all the nighttime scenes just absolutely stunning. And apparently they shot it at a a in a cabin that was owned by a condemned witch or something.
Speaker 2: Her name is Rebecca Nurse House.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know Rebca Nurse.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, she was. She went through the whole Salem trial. Yeah, she was accused of witchcraft. Yeah, back in sixteen ninety something. Anyway, So yeah, they shot in her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because Hamton later said it was like he didn't even realize it was on his bucket list to be buried in the grounds of a witch's house and dug up and you know.
Speaker 2: Barently they shot the whole thing and les separate. Yeah, yes, left that for the last part, and so the whole set was like kind of empty, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: It was just a yeah, it was fascinating. And then then they the episode after that is set in the present day. But ha much Link later has to continue playing this character.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: And what I found out later was that those, as you said, they were shot in reverse. He played the old version of the character first. In fact, he didn't even know I believe he didn't even know who was going to play his wife, like Betty Gilpin hadn't even been cast, right, And then they had to go back and shoot, and he said that he actually modulated his voice so that it sounded like a younger version of the but It's just so strange to me that those were shot out of sequence because.
Speaker 2: That episode was so fucking funny, the whole part on the boat.
Speaker 1: The part on the boat. Yes, although I wanted to kill Matthew Reese because come on, how big of an idiot are you?
Speaker 2: Well, he is an idiot.
Speaker 1: He is an idiot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that was so funny when he's like.
Speaker 1: Everything about that scene was really really funny. And I actually thought Stephen Or was going to die that episode too. I really thought he was going to die. I still think he's going to die because he gave an episode, he gave an interview and they talked about a second season, and he gave answers that I was like, sounds like you don't make it out alive through this season. He's great in it, And no, what is not great in it?
Speaker 2: Was that the last episode?
Speaker 1: No, the last of the season. Yeah, no, no, I think there's three more or two more, I can't remember, but we're here to tell you to watch it. Yeah, it's really really good. It's it's smart.
Speaker 2: It's smart.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean we we really like smart stuff.
Speaker 2: I do witty, Yeah, that be intellectual, but but well observed to be intelligent, right right, right, that's it's me. Even when it's supposed to be a silly humor, it has to be delivered in a witty, intelligent way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think, just to bring this back to our previous conversation, as much as I love Hacks, the last several seasons of the show, I just don't think it was smart. I don't think it was very smart writing. It was it all rested on those two actresses, who are amazing.
Speaker 2: But with.
Speaker 1: Widow's Bay as good as Matthew Reesays, as good as Stephen Rude is, it doesn't all rest on those actors. The writing is actually smart, well.
Speaker 2: Observed, awesome. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I cannot find a single, you know, weak point or there's never a point where I'm taken out of the story. And like what, I hate the Sun, I hate the teenagers. I can't stand him, but I mean he does.
Speaker 2: He's supposed to be annoying.
Speaker 1: He's supposed to be annoying, and he does have reason to be mad at his dad. But that's Psycho girl. Who was going does I kept waiting for, like what is she some sort of I know, curse or something because she was acting so strange.
Speaker 2: I know, I was so mad at her, But I love the secretary at the office, the old lady.
Speaker 1: The old lady. Yeah, I can't read her own hand.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's just a lot of colorful characters. And then it's in the middle of a Stephen King novel. Basically, that's highly recommend highly recommend it. Yes, so Widow's Bay on Apple TV can't recommend it enough. And I believe we have exhausted our topics for the way, so we'll be back next week. We do have a new set of movies, movies for the Bitter Movie Club. We're taking this week off, but we have a whole set of movies for June. The first one we'll be doing next week is Atonement from two thousand and seven starring Kieran Nightly, So go ahead and watch that. I believe it's on both Netflix and HBO Max.
Speaker 2: Great movie.
Speaker 1: You should be able to catch it if you if you are so inclined, And we'll be back with whatever else you know across our eyes across our desk next week. Till then, take care of yourself, love you mean it.
Speaker 2: Bye bye bye.