Speaker 1: I'd rather have you eat already caught up vegetables than to not eat vegetables at all, or the frozen vegetables. Just whatever makes these steps feel doable and not overwhelming, because when you go for perfect, well most of us can't, none of us can really achieve perfect, and then you don't get started at all.
Speaker 2: You are listening to the Plant Based Diet podcast where we talk about all things plant based. I'm mister Garth and the host of this show and founder of Alternative Food Network. Join me in my amazing array of guests who are a mix of healthcare professionals, industry executives, and people with an interesting story to tell about their plant based journey.
Speaker 3: Let us help you.
Speaker 2: With your journey wherever you're at to learn the what, why, and how to eat plant based. Happy New Year, everybody, and welcome to Season six of Plant Based Diet. Every year I say the same thing. I can't believe it's lasting this long, so thank you for your continued listening and support of the show. In today's episode, I'm joined by Michelle Stam, who is a plant based health coach and also a returning guest. She's going to share with us a quick list of simple, realistic, plant forward eating tips that you can use right now, especially after the holidays. Many of us have in our minds to start the year on a healthier note. That could be with lighter foods, more exercise, lowering stress. I want to simplify plant based eating for all of you, whether you're a beginner and overwhelmed resolution maker, or you're just looking to add more nourishing meals into your routine. I'm not a proponent of all or nothing plans and diets, and I think this is where plant based eating can help. It's not a strict rule book, it's just a practical way to feel better day to day and long after the holidays are over. With this podcast, I want to help you build habits that actually last and that support your health, energy, and enjoyment of food year round. On a side note, if you're curious about the emerging field of culinary medicine, which is an evidence based field of medicine that blends the art of food and cooking with the science of medicine to prevent and treat disease, I encourage you to check out the podcast's culinary Medicine recipe, which is hosted by a medical doctor who also loves to cook like this plant based diet series. Culinary Medicine Recipe is an Alternative Food Network production and is available on all major podcast platforms, on YouTube, and on our website Alternativefoodnetwork dot com. And Now, without further ado, I'd like to welcome our guests for today, Michelle stan Hello, Michelle, nice to see you again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hello, Esther, It's so nice to be here. Thank you so much for inviting me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's been a couple of years since you were on the show. I remember we did an episode about plant based roadblocks and helping people get through what they perceive our roadblocks, and that's it really well by.
Speaker 4: The way, that episode, oh good.
Speaker 3: You know what, I'm going to include.
Speaker 2: It in the show notes on this episode, so if someone does want to hear another episode with you, that'll be it'll.
Speaker 3: Be easy for them to find.
Speaker 4: Great.
Speaker 2: So, as I said in my intro, you are a plant based health coach. Do you want to explain to people what that really means and what you do?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: For sure.
Speaker 1: What I do as a plant based health coach is help people who in particular want to improve their health through the power of a plant based diet.
Speaker 4: And it's very.
Speaker 1: Important to me as a coach that eating plant based becomes doable, delicious, and fun for people, because when things are doable, you actually do them, and when they're delicious, you actually want to eat them the food, and if it's fun, you actually want to stick with it, and when you stick with it for the long term because you're actually enjoying it. That's how you use plants to create health in your body. It can't be just a one week New Year's resolution and you can't just do it for a week and it's going to change everything. You have to stick with it. But you only stick with things you enjoy. So that's why everything I do here at Wellness Empowered is about helping people actually enjoy eating this way.
Speaker 2: And I was going to mention this later in the episode, but it's such a fun recipe that I'm just going to mention it now. You have shared with me, which I will be sharing an Alternative Food Network's newsletter in January a recipe for an orange Dreamsicle fruit dip. It looks amazing. I can't wait to try it. But you were just talking about fun. That kind of stuff is fun, and I'm sure it tastes great. So that's just an example of what you were doing on how to make plant based eating fun.
Speaker 3: If someone wants to.
Speaker 2: Get this recipe, they should just subscribe to our newsletter.
Speaker 3: It's free.
Speaker 2: You just go on Alternative Foodnetwork dot com and click that subscribe button.
Speaker 4: Perfect.
Speaker 3: Today's episode is going to be a quick one.
Speaker 2: We want to get people started with good habits, so why don't we just run through a list of your suggested plant based eating tips.
Speaker 1: The first thing I would suggest to people is, rather than going with all the cants, I can't eat this, and I can't eat this, and now I can't do this anymore, start thinking about all the things you can and just start bringing in more plants. Everything is about the carrot, not the stick around here, So bring in more plants. Don't have to throw everything out that you're doing. But you know, maybe you just add an apple to your lunch. You start dinner with a salad instead of thinking, oh, I can only eat a giant salad for dinner. No, just eat the same dinner, but bring in some salad. You can just buy the prepared grocery store produce like the stuff that's already cut I'd rather have you eat already cut up vegetables than to not eat vegetables at all, or the frozen vegetables. Just whatever makes these steps feel doable and not overwhelming, because when you go for perfect, well most of us can't. None of us can really achieve perfect, and then you don't get started at all. So bring in more plants to squeeze out the other stuff is the first step that do it in a way that feels doable.
Speaker 3: What's your second tip?
Speaker 1: My second tip is to keep things familiar. So if you're making the switch over to a plant based diet, whether it's just you and or especially if it's people at home, like if you live with kids or something like, I think it's better to keep things familiar. So if you're a taco Tuesday family, keep the tacos on Tuesday, just make them plant based. Or if you're a Sunday morning pancake family, keep Sunday morning pancakes, just make them plant based. And there's recipes for these things online. And then it's also another way to think about keeping flavors familiar is if you do have a favorite taco recipe, use all the same seasonings. That you're used to just swap out, you know, get a ground beef substitute, or use beans or lentils or something. But use flavors that you and your family are familiar with, flavors you already know you like. So don't find a plant based recipe with all kinds of weird to you ingredients. Just only change little pieces of it and then it'll feel more familiar and comfortable, which makes it easier to stick with.
Speaker 2: And I'll just add, since you did bring up pancakes. In US, we make pancakes with cashew milk. So if you're not going to use dairy or you want to substitute the milk that's in pancakes, cash eu milk makes pancakes really fluffy.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Have you ever tried that.
Speaker 1: I haven't. I haven't, but I will. Now that's a great idea.
Speaker 3: It's great.
Speaker 1: The recipe that I use for pancakes, it's plant you Carly bow Drug she's from Canada. I know you are as well, so shout out to her. But she has a pancake recipe where she uses lemon zest.
Speaker 4: And baking powder in there.
Speaker 1: And what I have found for things like baked goods and pancakes and stuff. Is when you use an acid lemon z ass lemon juice plus baking powder, it does that science thing that we all learned back in school and it kind of fluffs things up. But those are the fluffiest pancakes I've ever had. But now I'm thinking, if I use the lemon zest baking powder combo and then add cashew mill.
Speaker 4: They're gonna be the best pancakes in the world.
Speaker 3: They're gonna explode.
Speaker 1: They're gonna explode, but they're gonna be light and fluffy while they do.
Speaker 3: So, Okay, Tip number three.
Speaker 1: Tip number three is plan ahead even a little bit helps. So I think a lot of times when people hear plan ahead, they think of that pinterest refrigerator or pantry where everything is in little matching containers and is labeled and you have a plan mapped out for the month of all the meals you're gonna I am not I am not talking about that. I've never been able to pull that off, and it is you can, like more power to you. But what I'm talking about again is doable. So if you can, you know, make up big a double batch of soup instead of a single batch, it doesn't really take that much longer to make a double batch. They'll make a double batch on the weekend. Maybe you eat it Sunday night for dinner and then you have your you know, package it up for lunches during the week, something like that, or making think you and I talked to esther about maybe making like bash cooking quinoa or rice or something and using that to build your meals. So that kind of planning ahead certainly helps.
Speaker 4: But also almost.
Speaker 1: More important, I think is having a plan for a way from home, because I think people are used to thinking about the organized pantry and things like that for planning ahead at home, but a lot of places where the clients that I work with get tripped up is when they leave their house. You know, all of a sudden, you're you're on a road trip and you're starving, and now you don't know what to do, and all of a sudden you're pulling into a place where maybe they don't have a lot.
Speaker 4: Of good plant based choices.
Speaker 1: So planning head like that, packing a granola bar or something like that, Or if you're going to an event, whether it's a you're invited to a pot luck, or a party or something. Maybe find out what they're going to be serving and bring something compatible along, or you know, talk to the host ahead of time.
Speaker 4: Have a plan.
Speaker 1: If you figure out there's going to be nothing plant based there for you to eat, well, then eat ahead of time so you don't head and starving and make a choice you don't want. And then another planning ahead tip is you know when you're going to a restaurant. Even if you don't have a lot of heads up, I mean you at least you know have the fifteen minutes if you're a passenger in the car or something, just look up the restaurant ahead of time, because I think where people run into problems is if that waiter is back for the third time to your table and you're like, I don't know, I'll just have something that you always used to eat that wasn't plant based. And then in that the stress and the heat of the moment, you sometimes make decisions you don't want to. So planning ahead allows us to access the more helpful parts of our brain. We all know we have parts of our brain that work when we plan ahead and parts of our brain that take over when we're panicked or stressed, so we want to access those planning parts.
Speaker 3: Greats, all great suggestions, God, God, else do you go?
Speaker 1: The next step is don't aim for perfection, aim for progress. We're always going to do better when we look at how far we've come. And this is because our thoughts and what we focus on really does create our results in life. So if you think about just want you to try on two different thoughts. Say you ate five plant based meals during the week and and nothing else changed, but you ate five plant based meals, which is pretty good by the way.
Speaker 4: But if you're.
Speaker 1: Thinking, wow, I ate I ate five plant based meals this week, or you could be thinking, oh, I didn't I didn't do it again another week, I didn't eat plant based like I wanted to. Like my voice is different, I know. But think of the feeling that creates in your body when you think I ate five plant based meals. That feels good, which is going to keep feel moving forward, because again, we want to do things that make us feel good. Where if instead you think, ugh, I didn't get it perfect this time again another week, you're gonna feel you know, just down, like weighed down, of like I can't do it, And then who wants to try again, you know, So focusing on your progress makes all the difference, even if your progress is like I bought one bag of frozen spinach and put it in the freezer. Yay for you, Like that is a step in the right direction for sure.
Speaker 3: Okay, well positive mindset right.
Speaker 1: Totally, totally, but not Pollyanna weird positive like I can do anything, you know that, because it's not real and your brain won't believe.
Speaker 4: That's what.
Speaker 1: It has to be believable, like look at me, I actually bought the frozen spinach. Next week, I'm actually gonna make the smoothie with it, that kind of thing, So it has to be believable. But yes, focusing on the positive rather than the negative, definitely, I'll help people get to where they want to go faster.
Speaker 3: Okay, I think we're on our fifth point.
Speaker 1: Fifth we are we are, which slides really well from the last one, which is celebrate your winds every day if you can be thinking about what's working, or at least every week, and the winds don't just have to be like I accomplished it a fully plant based week. They can be I ate plant based breakfast today, or I bought cashew milk, or I bought spinach, or the scale moved a little bit, or gosh, my food was more fun to eat out of this fancy bowl or something like that. I had a client, a teenager, and she was having a lot of stomach digestive issues and that kind of thing. And by going plant based, she did create a lot of great health in her body. Her digestive issues cleared up, her acne cleared up, she lost some weight, she fit into some smaller clothes. But talking about and focusing on all of those things as they happened really needs such a difference for her, and not just in her food and in her health. But pretty soon, because her skin was cleared up, she was feeling more confident. And then she didn't feel like she had to wear makeup.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: As a teenager, I remember feeling like I kind of had a hype behind my makeup. And so here she is with more confidence. And then because she was liking her food, she was enjoying cooking new recipes, and then that letter to want to have some cook for some friends, and then she bought herself this little cute tea set. So I share all that of like the winds can come from every anywhere, but they really do keep you going in a positive direction. And then another client of mine she, again, most people come to me to improve their health, right that that's what we work on. And she did all that as well. She had a lot of inflammation in her body. She was waiting to get to the rooumatologists but couldn't get in on, you know, for months, So we worked together in the meantime her RA factor if you know what that is, but it's a rheumatoid marker that shows inflammation in your body. All those numbers improved, her migraines went away, So she definitely had a lot of health improvements. But an extra thing that I thought was so cool is she really learned about the importance of winds and focusing on the winds. And then one day she's a manager of her department and it was one of those bad weeks at work. So what she did is she just she didn't talk at all, and she walked up to the whiteboard on the office wall and just wrote the word wins on the top, and then she jotted a few down herself, and just quietly doing that, her team started writing more wins down and then a couple weeks later she wasn't even doing it anymore. They were writing wins on top of this board even when she wasn't there and keeping track of the wins. And I guess I share all of that that second story, especially to show like how this spills into every area of your life and it's making her a more effective boss at work, and it's making her a more productive and everything. So I could go on and on, and I kind of am, But the point is focusing on your wins really does make a difference.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And as you said, it relates to the previous point about positive mindset and positive reinforcement as.
Speaker 1: Well, right right, And then I think the celebrate your wins is really that celebrate piece too, Like it's more than just observing them, it's acknowledging them and seeing how they really are making a difference in your life.
Speaker 3: And that for our last.
Speaker 4: One, always keep it fun.
Speaker 1: The reason to have fun with it is again, you want to do things that are fun. Who wants to do things that feel daunting.
Speaker 4: And drudgery and you know all of.
Speaker 1: That, like nobody does, but people want to do things that are fun. So if you can make plant based eating fun, You're going to want to stick with it for the long term. And that's what how the plants can keep creating health in your body.
Speaker 2: So when I asked you in advance of the recording if you would like to share a recipe with us, and you sent me this orange dream.
Speaker 3: Cicle, I'm like, that is so fun. This is really perfect.
Speaker 2: So again, if someone would like to get this recipe, it will be in our January twenty twenty six newsletter.
Speaker 3: So please just.
Speaker 2: Go to our website at Alternative Foodnetwork dot com and click the sign up button.
Speaker 1: Yes, and I will say, like, I'm so excited about that recipe that dip recipes. I loved orange dreamsicles growing up as a kid, you know, before I plant based. And when I went to create this recipe, I knew I didn't want to use nuts in it. My future daughter in law is allergic to nuts, so I wanted to stay away from that. So I used tolfu as the base. But you know, hopefully that doesn't scare any on a way, Like it's it's so good and goes with fruit and kids love to dip things anyway, So that recipe really does exemplify the word fun in a really very realistic way, something anybody can make.
Speaker 2: So on behalf of the Alternative Food Network newsletters subscribers. I thank you very much.
Speaker 4: You are very welcome.
Speaker 1: I love to share recipes anything to help people eat more plants.
Speaker 4: Totally awesome.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Well, we've gone through six quick tips that hopefully will get people into the habit of eating plant based foods to help them hopefully feel better.
Speaker 3: Do you have any closing message for the audience.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think the main thing is just get started. No matter which of these tips landed with you the moles, take that tip or that suggestion for spinach in the freezer, try the orange dream so to cal dip or anything we talked about.
Speaker 4: Just keep moving forward. That's really it.
Speaker 1: I mean, you can't I know, this is an expression people use. You can't move apart or you can't steer a parked car. So you've got to get moving and then you're going to create successes and you're going to come up against challenges. But working through those challenges is how you're going to get to where you want to go. So don't let yourself get overwhelmed and just just keep moving forward. That's when if you think about driving in the fog, that's how the fog lifts is when you move forward. It doesn't you can't see when you're sitting still, but then you get moving and you can see where you're going. And that's why you've got to get started to get things moving.
Speaker 2: So wonderful if someone wants to reach you, what's the best way for them to do that.
Speaker 1: I would love to connect with any of your listeners esther, that would be great. I offer a forty five minute free consultation call where we talk about you and your goals for eating plant based and anything that's getting in your way, and also some next steps for getting started, which you can schedule on the work with Me page of my way website, which is Wellness dash empowered dot org. And that's going to be hooked up in the show notes as well. And if you're not quite ready for that call yet, you can sign up for my plant based Roadmap to Better Health on my website as well, and that walks you through some simple steps for getting started some of the tips we shared today as well as some others, and then a few recipes, including one for bolonaise sauce which uses we talked before about substituting in your favorite flavors, but using just a substitute instead of like ground beef for example, And this bolonaise sauce uses you grind up mushrooms and walnuts and make like a ground beef substitute. So even just to sign up and learn that recipe then would help you expand on your own tacos and chili's and that kind of thing. So anyway, head on over to my website is the very long answer and sign up for the roadmap, or book a call if you'd like to talk more, because I would just love to again help you eat more plants in ways that you enjoy. That's what I do here at Well is empowered, wonderful.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: It was great to see you and interview you again. Hopefully the episode will do as well as the last one.
Speaker 3: So thank you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you so much for having me here. Esther, It's always good to talk with you and your listeners.
Speaker 2: I hope you found this helpful. Please share, rate, leave a review, and follow Plant Based Diet on your favorite podcast listening platform. You can find us on YouTube and Instagram at Alternative Food Network. We also publish a monthly newsletter that includes plant based recipes, links to our latest episodes, and the occasional giveaway. You can subscribe for free by going to our website at alternativefoodnetwork dot com and click the newsletter sign up button. Until next time, thanks for listening. All content provided or opinions expressed in this podcast or for informational purposes only, and are not a substitute for professional medical advice. Please seek advice from your doctor or other qualified health care practitioner.