Speaker 1: Well this lame.
Speaker 2: Kelly six Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app and YouTube. Let me tell you about Candace Nicholas Lippman. She's an actress, spoken word artist, and arts educator with a passion for using her god given talents to uplift others. You may know her from her time as Jasmine on the show Blind Spotting. Candas Nicholas Lipman's solo play, A Rose called Candace, is an epic, moving, inspiring, cinematic ode to survival, grace, and exhilarating ambition. Candas is a shiny exemplar of how living as an artist, in spite of what the universe throws at you, or perhaps because of it, is truly a road to freedom. As the review goes, a Rose called Candace is a templess for any one of us to use in our own lives. She has created an ethos for artists to follow, and she joins us now back here on later with mo Kelly.
Speaker 3: And there's a there is.
Speaker 2: A wrinkle to this because when you came in i'll say last year or so and told us about this one woman's show, you were doing everything. When I say it's a one woman show, I mean you were hanging the lights here, you were doing everything. Part of the reason why we brought you back is the show has grown. It's going to be running from June twenty first to the twenty ninth at the Los Angeles Theater Center. Have that right, yes, which is five fourteen Spring Street. But one of your producers is Academy Award winner Viola Davis. Yes, that's not bad news. You have to tell me the story of and it wasn't it by chance? You just happened to run into Viola Davis. Now, let me tell you this. I happened to run into Viola Davis at the Whole Foods across the street from the studio.
Speaker 3: It didn't go as well for me.
Speaker 2: How is it when you run into Viola Davis you ended up working with her?
Speaker 4: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 1: Okay, guys, this is a little bit of a long story, so I'll just give the cliff notes version. A couple of years ago, we were both in text for South by Southwest promoting our individual projects. Long, long story short, we just happened to be staying at the same hotel. We just happened to be in the Jacuzie at the same time. Meet her and her husband, and we just started talking about everything from like faith to what's going on in the world, to art and all the things, and we just kind of connected organically. And as you know, mister Kelly, I'm very transparent about, you know, things in.
Speaker 4: My life and what's going on.
Speaker 1: And then it was just you know, it's been really really hard and seven so we were just talking about all the things, and then that's how we kind of connected. Mister Julius and miss Yola were like, Hey, when we're back in La, connect with us. Here's our assistance information. And then from there, yeah.
Speaker 2: You say that, you know, we all have our story, yes, and sometimes people only know us by our glory. You've worked in Hollywood for quite some time, you have had success, been on grades of Dat Toy, of course blind spotty. But people think, oh, it's easy after that, and that couldn't be further from the truth.
Speaker 4: Is it so far from the truth?
Speaker 1: And I think that is the thing that's really really powerful in terms of what I believe my purpose and assignment is. I believe my vulnerability is my superpower. And I just recently did an interview with KKW News and something that I quoted on there was. You know, we do live in a world right now, specifically with social media and everyone trying to put on this sort of facade. I guess if you will, yeah, you know, but people, I feel really really described to this whole mantra of like, oh, you know, you fake it till you make it, fake it till you make it. And I don't really subscribe to that. I really believe in faith it till you make it, because if you're faking anything and then you're not being authentic, how can you really be used by God?
Speaker 4: How can you really touch somebody?
Speaker 1: How can you really make a difference if you're not authentically being yourself? And so I am on this journey of freedom, which is a big theme in my show. It's because I want to release all of the things of like what my childhood has instilled in me, in terms of the people pleasing, the lack of boundaries, the caring what other people think about you, you know, like I am me, I am Joe, you know, and I'm in this season of where I'm really like, I want to release all of that other stuff, including feeling shame or guilt about things that I may experience, I e.
Speaker 4: Like a strike happening, like what happens when you're in your dream and then.
Speaker 1: The strike happens and those shows get canceled. Now what happens? What does that really look like? Do you just give up? Or is it like, oh no, I got to put one pants leg back on at a time, get back up by faith and just keep going. And that's what I'm showing you this in my show.
Speaker 2: We have talked to you about this show, probably in a different iteration before, yes, and then you have a different producer, different eyes on a different viewing of it. They they see it slightly different. How has this show changed, improved or grown with the addition of not only Viola Davis but her husband, Well, it has grown.
Speaker 1: For one, of course, having their support is a big deal, right, so I'm very very grateful for that in the sense of how it has changed or how it has grown. I really have to say that is my choice in deciding to bring in a co director. I haven't had a director since like twenty nineteen. I've just kind of been doing it just me and got you know, from all the listen Jesus so from all the friends in Los Angeles to me taking it to off Broadway, Like all of that was just by myself, by faith, right, and so now having someone coming on and producing it where that kind of part of it is a little bit oliviate, you know, taken away in terms of the stress of that, I decided to bring in a co director. And after weeks and weeks of researching various directors, because I'm really really big on who I bring with me along this journey, because it is a journey and I know all that it takes to put up my show, I decided to bring.
Speaker 4: On the amazing Bernadette Speaks.
Speaker 1: Yes, you may know her from Love Jones, from All American And I just think I could not have been more grateful for God to have partnered us together, because she is stretching me in ways that I did not know that I still needed to be stretched. She is challenging me in ways because the thing is, I did my show all the way back in twenty eighteen. But I'm not the same person I was in twenty eighteen. I'm not even the same person I was last year when I did this show, hopefully or not right, And so my as my story is evolving, so am I And so when I am constantly evolving, as we all are. Hopefully as artists, our art should reflect that evolution.
Speaker 2: I always wonder, though, and I asked you some form of this question the last time we spoke, and maybe the answer is the same or it's somewhat different now. I wonder how you manage to tell some of these same stories, relive some of the same pain, and not either become numb or find yourself falling back into that pit of pain.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, This is also another reason why I'm so grateful that I have a co director, because a lot of the trauma or whatever it is that I'm sharing on stage from part of my life story is either trauma that I am still currently actively working through, like in therapy or whatever, or it may be something that I am reliving currently right now in my present day. So again, my vulnerability is my superpower, and I think within that transparency that's the thing that really touches people's souls, because it's like, here I am bearing my soul on this stage unapologetically in hopes and hopes that I can impact, inspire and courage one person in the audience that my bravery and my courage and my understanding that our stories are our trials or tribulations of what we go through is not just for us. It is literally meant to help to save to someone else. And so because I talked about this too in another interview that because within the African American community specifically, we are always brought up to be like, hey, what happens in this house days? And it's not you bet not going against the grain.
Speaker 4: You bet not. I promise you.
Speaker 1: We cannot break generational curses that way, we cannot heal that way.
Speaker 4: And because I.
Speaker 1: Am so much joy right, I literally am an illustration of not looking like what I've been through, and I think that is powerful too. And so if I can show people that resilience and how no matter what, I still can continue to get up, then you could get up too.
Speaker 2: We're talking about a rosecalled Candace with idi am. I am amazed Candace Nicholas Lipmann because each time we talk, you have a renewed sense of self and energy which confounds me. And then I hear your person of faith like, oh yeah, that expats that, you know, yeah very quickly? How can people find the show and get their tickets right now?
Speaker 4: Yes, right now?
Speaker 1: You can go to the Robitheatercompany dot org. Robitheatrecompany dot org. They are also a producer on this show.
Speaker 3: That's r O b e y Yes.
Speaker 1: R O b e y Theatercompany dot org. You can also head to my website a rosecall Candace dot com for more information and it will be We have our first preview this Friday, hold June twentieth, and then the official opening is June twenty first, and we run through the twenty ninth.
Speaker 2: Just got to let people know it's the Robitheatercompany dot org. That's r O b e y t e e A t r E Company dot org. We're gonna make sure that you get there. Will help more with boy I tell you Candace Nicholas Flipman because I tried not to get too caught up in the conversation, you know, but when the spirit starts moving, as they say, you know more in just a moment. It's Lady with mo Kelly caf I AM six forty. We live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app and YouTube.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty k if.
Speaker 3: I AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Yes Later with Mo Kelly We're live on YouTube and the iHeartRadio app, and you're just tuning in. My guest in studio is Candace Nicholas Lipman. You know her as an actress, probably from Blind Spotting as Jasmine and her solo play Now I'm sorry to now, I'm sorry. I hate when I get things wrong with that. I am so sorry.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 2: But we're here for your solo one woman play, a rose called Candace, and it is debuting on the twenty first, and it's running through the twenty ninth at the Roby Theater excuse me, at the Los Angeles Theater, which is five to one four Spring Street in LA. And from what I hear, you got two people in the studio who will be there as well.
Speaker 3: You see, it.
Speaker 1: Should be foult mister Kelly, look.
Speaker 3: Fair enough, fair enough toala. You got my schedule.
Speaker 2: I think we could do Saturday and twenty first. As we talk about this, I suspect you're drained after every performance.
Speaker 4: Oh my goodness, I'm again transparency.
Speaker 1: I'm drained right now, like I am exhausted, like literally even all day today. Although I do have producers on show, I am still a producer of my show and I will make sure that my show is successful in the name of Jesus. And so I'm still behind the scenes, very much so, going all over Los Angeles networking with people, passing out flyers, doing all the things, booking my own press things, you know, like doing whatever I can to make sure that you know, by God's grace, that we get people in the seats and whoever is meant to be there will be there.
Speaker 2: You and I were having a very candid conversation off air talking about the realities of entertainment. Let me put it that way, where with each success, there is someone saying.
Speaker 3: You're a failure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, each.
Speaker 2: Step of the way, someone is saying you can't do this, or you're not good enough, or they don't recognize the path that you're on.
Speaker 3: How do you deal with it? I know how I deal with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, the way that I look at it.
Speaker 3: What is it?
Speaker 4: You know how sometimes people.
Speaker 1: Have been saying, well, like if you don't got no haters, then that means you're not doing you know kind of thing and not trying to say that these people are haters. But when people are trying to speak okay, but like when people do try to feed me with all that negativity. Again, everything is perspective, and I have to do the work constantly to be like, No, I know who I am, I know who God is, and I know what God.
Speaker 4: Said and what he has ordained for my life.
Speaker 1: So regardless of what you're saying, I can listen to what you say, but I don't have to receive it, and I'll have the positive in my spirit.
Speaker 4: I rebuke it.
Speaker 2: Take me inside a rose called Candice. How is it broken up? Is it broken up? Let's say in the thirds where you're a child for a portion, maybe an adolescent than an adult.
Speaker 3: How does it proceed?
Speaker 1: Yes, So it's sixty minutes exactly, no intermission, and basically the show is done like in three acts. However, it's literally like as people have described it in emotional rollercoaster ride, like I literally take you through a lot.
Speaker 4: In sixty minutes.
Speaker 1: And so yeah, so like Act one, we're really digging into me in my childhood. Act two is kind of like high school, more of the growth high school college. And then Act three is here being in Los Angeles and what that experience has been like.
Speaker 2: So do you find that Well, I'm pretty sure audiences react differently on different nights of different parts. Do you find people responding more to when you're an adolescent or maybe in college or I'm quite sure it hits people differently.
Speaker 1: Yes, because it hits people differently, and the different responses that I've gotten from people.
Speaker 4: This is also how I know that this is purpose.
Speaker 1: Because when I'm just a black girl from the hood of Sacramento that's.
Speaker 4: Out here trying to achieve her dream, okay.
Speaker 1: And the fact that me, someone like me, my story can reach someone of different faith backgrounds, of different ethnic groups, of different age demographics. How that's nothing but God that my story can reach all these different people. And I really have to say, that's kind of kudos to my pastor, doctor Hoaiah Collins, because it was him back in twenty fourteen. I was homeless, living in my car when I started writing this story.
Speaker 2: Run too fast past that, slow down so people can hear it and understand not only where you're going but where you've come from. Yeah, thank you almost living in your car.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it's so interesting you said that, because that's one of my notes that my co directors. She's like, you know, you don't have to speak like handa is let us be there with you.
Speaker 3: Yes, let us twell in the moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So yes. It was twenty fourteen.
Speaker 1: I was living in my car, homeless, and I remember having a counseling session with my pastor and I remember kind of just talking to him like about my life little bit. And he's the one who say He was like, baby girl, you have a powerful story, he said, And I'm gonna tell you something.
Speaker 4: Your story is not unique.
Speaker 1: But it's because it's not unique is the reason why you need to share it. And that shifted everything for me where I was like, oh, again, our testimony is not just for us.
Speaker 4: It is meant to be for other people.
Speaker 1: And so with that, I just was like okay, God, And I just was writing, writing and writing, and then I debuted it in twenty eighteen and then just kept on with it from there. But the response I got in twenty that really SOLIDI for that confirm where I was like, oh, wow, okay, so cause I'm terrified.
Speaker 4: It is terrifying.
Speaker 1: I am literally sharing things that people put in their journals.
Speaker 4: Do you understand, like this is.
Speaker 1: Things that I'm sharing out But again, because it is bigger than me, I have to remove myself and understand that Kennis is bigger than you.
Speaker 4: You have more of a calling, you know, Kenn's.
Speaker 2: I always wonder, yes, women are going to get something out of this. Women made more readily identify with the different parts of your story.
Speaker 3: But I'm sure men get something.
Speaker 1: Absolutely absolutely if you go back. And I'm so grateful for those who leave reviews and stuff. Thank y'all so so much, because not only, of course, is it letting other people know what your experience was to see in the show, but it also reminds me too on days that I may have where I'm doubting myself or feeling low or hearing all that negativity.
Speaker 4: And I'm like, why am I doing this?
Speaker 1: God?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 1: And then I go back and I look at I'm like, Okay, God, I'm making a difference. God is having impact the men. If y'all go read the reviews the men their reviews, Wow.
Speaker 4: It's amazing.
Speaker 2: It's interesting because we do different things, but we respond similarly. What I mean by that is when you're performing, and this is kind of a performance art at radio, we may not get the immediate response and reaction from people, but when we do hear from someone, it renews us because we sometimes forget we're touching people in ways that we don't.
Speaker 3: Know in the moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was a rehearsal that Bernadette and I had and it was on a really hard part of my story that I was sharing, and I just broke down in the middle of rehearsal and I literally yelled out to her, why am.
Speaker 4: I doing this again?
Speaker 1: Because yes, because I'm like, why am I putting myself out here again for people?
Speaker 4: Why am I doing this?
Speaker 5: God?
Speaker 1: Like, what is the purpose of Like, So, even within the process and me still being very clear of.
Speaker 4: My assignment, I'm still human.
Speaker 2: Like.
Speaker 1: This is not easy, and y'all will see when you come see the show, It's not easy what I'm.
Speaker 4: Doing at all.
Speaker 2: Candace Nicholas Slippman, I'm out of time with you at this point, but I want to make sure that you know that we support you and make.
Speaker 3: Sure that people know how to get there.
Speaker 2: Yes, tell people the when, the where, the how, all the specifics.
Speaker 1: Please Yes, So again, y'all, my name is Candace Nicholas Flipman.
Speaker 4: That's Candace c. A. N. D Ace. Oh wait, I forgot we online now y'all can see my name.
Speaker 3: Right here break. It's a YouTube show.
Speaker 4: What's up you too?
Speaker 1: So yeah, if you go you typed in my name Candace Nicholas Lippman, you can find me on all the platforms. I don't have a stage name. That is my name, amen. And then for tickets, you can go to a rose called Candace dot com, which is spelled the same way as my name there, or you can also go to the Robitheater coompany dot.
Speaker 2: Org and that's r O b e y Theater t h e A t r e dot org. Because some of y'all can't spell the way you eat.
Speaker 3: You a theater. It's not like boovie theater. It's like play right the r E.
Speaker 1: Yes, you guys, come, come, come. It is more than entertainment. This show is ministry. I promise you, based on what all throughout the years that other people have said, you will not leave the theater the same way you came in.
Speaker 4: I'm very grateful to the Roby.
Speaker 1: I'm so grateful to mister Julius and miss Viola for giving me this opportunity to share my story again and again. This is probably the final run in Los Angeles. So if you've never seen my show, come and even if you have seen it, you have not seen it this way before.
Speaker 4: So come, come, come.
Speaker 2: All I got to say is I appreciate when someone like the statue of Viola Davis sees potential and talent in you and then takes it upon themselves to help you reach another level.
Speaker 3: We should do more than just helping an assisting.
Speaker 5: One or another.
Speaker 1: Amen. And then also, y'all, when you you know how they say like manifesting or speaking things too. So it is one thing about like how we kind of met.
Speaker 4: But also if you go.
Speaker 1: Back through my Twitter feeds, if my friends can attest to this, I have been manifesting or professing like one day I'm gonna work with miss Viola one day.
Speaker 4: One now in my mind, I'm thinking like on the movie set, please Jesus still one day.
Speaker 1: But the fact that this is why you tell God your plans he laughs, Because the fact that it's happening this way with something that I created is amazing.
Speaker 4: And so I'm just so grateful.
Speaker 3: Let me just say this, see you soon. Ay it's later with Mokelly.
Speaker 2: Hey if I am six forty, We're live, everybody, I heart radio app.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: JFI Age six forty. It is a Lady with Moe Kelly.
Speaker 2: We're live on YouTube and the iHeartRadio app. If you have not signed up, this is a good time to sign up for our YouTube show where you can subscribe.
Speaker 3: Like you say, well, why would I want to subscribe?
Speaker 2: Well, it makes it easier to find because when it's a part of your subscriptions, it just pops up whenever we have a live show, and it makes it easier to find because what we're hear in the chat or people say oftentimes is hey, I can't find it. I found it, but I had to search all over. I found old videos about know where the live one was. That's the easy way to get around that. And also it's a good time. You get to hang out in Motown with the momigos and talk about anything and everything. It's a community unto itself. They talk about all sorts of stuff. Sometimes it has to do with the show. Sometimes most of the time, much of the time it doesn't have anything to do with the show, but they have a good time there.
Speaker 3: So we would want you to be a part of that.
Speaker 2: Something I talked about last week, and I didn't have a chance to talk about with Jackie Ray tonight the Dodgers show.
Speaker 3: Hail Tani was pitching tonight.
Speaker 2: That's important because he had was not pitching due to arm surgery last year, so this was the first time he had the opportunity to pitch. He only threw twenty eight pitches. It was not supposed to be a long outing. He started the game, he threw twenty eight pitches, gave up a run the last I saw. I think the Dodgers were winning six to three. I think they're in the bottom of the seventh. But the point is there are a lot of eyes on the Dodgers and the Dodger organization right now. I spoke last week about why the Dodgers as an organization have had nothing to say about the recent events here in Los Angeles, nothing to say about the ice raids, nothing to say in support of the community, because if you know anything about the history of the Dodgers, they have walked arm in arm with the Latino community for the better part of thirty years.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: It's a huge portion of the base and there have been rumors floating around on social media that the Dodgers organization is working with ICE. I haven't seen any evidence to support that, but you know, it's on social media, so people start believing it, and you kept sending it to me. The rumor, the conspiracy theory went something like this, where they were using Dodger Stadium parking lot as a staging area for a lot of what they were doing. I have not seen any evidence of that, but it would be another opportunity for the Dodgers' organization to at least make some public statement to either confirm or deny. Given that the history of the Dodgers organization has been one which was never fearful of speaking out on any issue, and they have usually, i should say historically been at the front on many social issues. If you look at their calendar, they have a Pride Night, they just had that on Friday. They have a Mexican American Heritage Night, they have I think Filipino Heritage Night. They have a number of nights which speak to the diversity of the fan base, but also how they value that. Given what is happening in Los Angeles, I believe that it is not in their best interests to say nothing.
Speaker 3: Yes, I know, double negative.
Speaker 2: I believe the Dodgers should say something for the benefit of their fans who have supported them for decades.
Speaker 3: And if you've ever.
Speaker 2: Been to a Dodgers game in recent years, there is a huge Latino contingent. Huge Historically, the Dodgers have embraced that, and they've acknowledged that. They've had like Los Doyers Night, so it's something they put on uniforms. So I don't know if they can continue in that direction, celebrating Latino heritage or Mexican heritage.
Speaker 3: And then also ignore the moment. You can't have it both ways.
Speaker 2: Now, they got a little dirt on them, as they say, because they went to the White House. There were some within the Dodger fan base who said, hey, you should not go to the White House and shake Donald Trump's hand. I'm ambivalent on that, but it will take me an hour to get all my thoughts out on that. But I know that the organization received some criticism for it, and when you put that in the larger discussion of what the Dodger's organization is going to be in moments like these, you can't separate it. And thank you for Daniel putting that up on the YouTube show. You know, you can't be outspoken just every now and then. You can't be community supportive every now and then, because the community, given what we saw as far as the protests here and in LA they were very vocal, they were voluminous as in everywhere, and clearly it's a huge issue for the Latino community here in Los Angeles and the Dodgers. If you're not going to be arm in arm with the Latino community, I don't know if you will still enjoy the same level of support from the Latino community going forward. It's almost like you know your friends by who's around.
Speaker 3: When you need them the most.
Speaker 2: And if the Dodgers' organization is not going to be there when the Latino community arguably needs them the most, then people will start reassessing that friendship, that relationship all together. But I did want to touch on that because a number of people have sent me in Facebook and Instagram and threads different rumors and thoughts about the Dodgers organization, and I talk about it from the standpoint of being a lifelong Dodgers fan.
Speaker 3: I love the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: I have no ill will towards the organization, but I do know that they cannot miss this moment, and if they choose to miss this moment, saying nothing, for many people is saying everything.
Speaker 3: It's Later with mo Kelly.
Speaker 2: In fact, my final thought tonight is going to be about protests, and I wanted that as kind of a lead in, so it sets up where my head is at, so you'll know where I'm coming from. It's not just about the protests here in Los Angeles. It's about America and why protests have always been necessary to making this country great.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: Kf I AM six forty. It's Later with mo Kelly.
Speaker 2: We're live on YouTube still and the iHeartRadio app coming up in just moments. Will be Coast to Coast AM with George Nori and I always look forward to speaking to him. George, how is your weekend?
Speaker 6: Great weekend? How is your Father's day?
Speaker 4: Everything go well, Nothing bad happened.
Speaker 2: I had a little sip of whiskey, special time with my wife.
Speaker 3: Not a bad day at all. Good.
Speaker 6: My kids were in Saint Louis, but they all checked in.
Speaker 3: All right, that's good.
Speaker 6: Tonight on the show, we're going to talk about the legality of protests, fascinating a couple hours. And then later on Expedition Unknown, we're going to discovery hunting across the world.
Speaker 3: George.
Speaker 2: It's interesting that you're going to be speaking on the legality of protests, because my final thought tonight has to do with the history of protests.
Speaker 6: Interesting.
Speaker 2: So I'll be tuning in me too. Okay, here we go. I'll talk to you soon, Okay. And as I said, this is my final thought. America is such a fickle place. It is a place founded on protest, In fact, founded on a violent protest. Truth be told, Boston Tea Party, American Revolution, War of eighteen twelve.
Speaker 3: Civil War, YadA, YadA, YadA, blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: All were varying levels of violent protests, and every major move forward in this country's did to form a more perfect union has been thanks to say it with me protest, and in every single instance, the status quo at the time resisted it every single time.
Speaker 3: Here are just a few examples.
Speaker 2: I'm talking to you on a Monday after a weekend in which we did what we wanted, including protests, celebrated Father's Day, went to the movies. Whatever the modern concept of the weekend Saturday and Sunday off primarily arose from the Industrial Revolution in the late nineteenth and twentieth centuries early twentieth centuries. Initially, factory of workers, many of whom were former farmers, disliked the whole idea of a seven day work week. When the nineteen twenty nine stock market crash crippled the world economy, the resulting Great Depression led to mass strikes in response to rising unemployment and poverty, among other things. Strikes, of course, are protests by another name. Long story short. President FDR signed the Fair Labor Standards Act into law in nineteen thirty eight. Imagine that protests women all around the country mostly either voted for Donald Trump or Kamala Harris in twenty twenty four. But the women's suffrage movement included peaceful protests, lobbying, civil disobedience, and it took decades of agitation, in other words, protests to get the Nineteenth Amendment to the US Constitution in nineteen twenty. Women's suffrage was a wildly unpopular movement. In the beginning, women voting America was not having it. But here we are today. Protests and the status quo resisted. It was uncomfortable for the country. But when it's uncomfortable, it means the Constitution is doing its job. The modern civil rights movement, you've heard me reference it many times, lots of marches, protests, civil disobedience, even riots, the height of constitutional discomfort in America. I would argue the status quo resisted every step of the way. Most people don't know the Civil rights and ending segregation was not supported by the majority of Americans. When the Civil Rights Act was passed in nineteen sixty four, most people were not down with that cause.
Speaker 3: You should sense a theme here.
Speaker 2: Protests have never been popular, never, because if they were, we would need them in the first place. Just about everything we called normal today was wildly unpopular yesterday.
Speaker 3: The people who are not protesting are.
Speaker 2: Never appreciative of those who protest or their methods.
Speaker 3: That's just a fact in every instance. The mass protest against.
Speaker 2: The Vietnam War didn't end the war, but it surely shaped American foreign policy. The more unpopular the war became, the more prevalent the protests became, the more it hastened our withdrawal at the end. Maybe you're old enough, remember how uncomfortable it was in America during the late nineteen sixties and early nineteen seventies. Let me keep going. The gay rights movement another great example. Pride Month, as in like right now and how far We've come, does not happen without the protests, the riots and backlash to the police raids of gay bars, and the denial of service to openly gay people. The fifty sixth anniversary of the Stonewall Riots is just days away. Protests and American discomfort have historically gone hand in hand. Twenty twenty five no different. It's a continuation of what I would call an American tradition. Now that's not just to say that because you protest, you'll eventually succeed, or that every issue is worthy of support.
Speaker 3: Not at all.
Speaker 2: I am saying, though, that protest is what makes America America. It's affirmation that the Constitution is doing its job. And that's assuming that the three branches of our government all do their jobs. Otherwise the Constitution means nothing. Everybody's got to pull their own weight. And I say all this to say against the backdrop of what we were all watching and seeing and experiencing over the weekend protest is never bad for America or a sign that were on our way to Hell in a handbasket. It says to me that America and Americans remember where they came from, and the country is continuously evolving relative to the issues of the day. The people originally denied human rights now have human rights in this country. The people who were once denied citizenship now have citizenship. The people who could not vote can now vote. The people who could not own land or buy property in any neighborhood as other Americans now can. The people who could not marry whoever they wanted can now marry whoever they want.
Speaker 3: And it's been a process.
Speaker 2: Don't act like America does and have further room for improvement or where somehow we've arrived, because that's not true.
Speaker 3: Women now really pay attention to this.
Speaker 2: Women only gained the right to open a checking account without their husband's permission in nineteen seventy four. That's within my lifetime. I remember nineteen seventy four. The Godfather Too, Part two came out in nineteen seventy four. Hold on to your butts on this one. Mississippi didn't ratify the thirteenth Amendment, which abolished slavery until twenty thirteen. Twenty thirteen, that was during Obama's second term. So oh, yes, protest still has a role in twenty twenty five, and yes it will be uncomfortable, just as the Constitution promises. Because of you know that First Amendment. This country was never great without protest, only thanks to it. For k IF, I AM six forty, I'm mo Kelly
Speaker 5: Ks II and KOs T HD two, Los Angeles, Orange County more stimulating talk