Speaker 1: Make us the number one preset on your car radio and on the free, new and improved iHeartRadio app. Listen for all your music, radio and podcasts free never sounded so good.
Speaker 2: One three to one Austin dot com.
Speaker 3: It's the JB and Sandy Show on Austin's Eighties station. What O three point one? Hey, if you want to win one thousand dollars, be listening at nine o'clock. That's your first chance today. It's coming up at nine on Austin's eighties station one oh three point one.
Speaker 2: You guys ready to do this? Everybody ready, let's go. I'm ready all right, Hey one, thanks for being with us.
Speaker 3: It's the JB and Sandy are do it every day from seven until eight o'clock. And if you're listening on the radio, hey, look, we know the signal's not great. Okay, there's parts of town you hit it. You can't hear us anymore. Use the iHeartRadio app, all right. You can listen to us everywhere. And I I kind of tend to think that most Austinites know how to hook up their Bluetooth and their car. You know, they know how to do that. That was a great mystery when Bluetooth first came out, Yeah, how do I do this? Or, as Tricia's mother calls it, the blue wire blue wire. We were sitting in her backyard once and she had this little speaker and she wanted to have some music out on the patio and just kind of chill and just she just matter of factly said, Hey, Sandy, we helped me blue wire up my speaker. I'm like, no greater grandma name is that words have ever been said and helped me blue wire. So now when we're around her, it's always the blue wire.
Speaker 2: That's funny.
Speaker 1: I was at the DPS office yesterday because every ten years you have to go take a new photo.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, how'd it go? The photos horrible?
Speaker 1: But there was an old guy next to me and he was there with the sign and it was it was really sweet because he's.
Speaker 2: A very old man.
Speaker 1: And you know, they hold up the little I chart just to see, you know, see if you can can read it or if you're too impaired to get your license nude, and he's like, man, I can't read that.
Speaker 2: He goes. He goes. My kids pretty much drive me.
Speaker 1: Everywhere nowadays, and he goes, so I guess she could just give me an ID. I'm only going to drive and it's a case an emergency, and if it's an emergency, I'm not going to care if it's a driver's license or an ID. Right, Like, he made such sense, and I was the woman was just struggling to help him.
Speaker 2: She kept going, no, you can go to your eye doctor and if they'll clear you, then we can do this.
Speaker 1: And he's like, ma'am, it's only going to be an emergency. And if it's an emergency, I don't really care what that piece of paper says.
Speaker 2: It was just such an old guy logic. Yeah, yeah, it was awesome. Boy.
Speaker 3: I can relate to that though as a kid that Like, my dad's still driving and he's eighty four. And I was on the phone with my mom the other day. I'm like, hey, let me talk to dad. She goes, oh, no, he's not here. He went to go pick up Chinese food. I'm like, oh, oh god, Dad's out on the road. Look out there, yeah, look out. He was never a good driver to begin with, and he he had a fighter pilot. Yeah, you can fly an airplane around the world, but has no idea how to get to the Chinese food restaurant.
Speaker 2: That was the family joke.
Speaker 1: He had this terrible He was never good at an even younger day. He was never a good driver.
Speaker 3: And he you know, he didn't get his driver's license till he was like twenty five or twenty six because he lived in New York City, didn't need one.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Again, he could fly a plane but not drive a car. Yeah, it's the weirdest thing. It's hurt car. You've been with him.
Speaker 3: Tricia gets nauseous when she'sa Yeah, she drive with both feet.
Speaker 4: Yes, at some point, at some age in your life, you go back to driving with both feet, like you know, when you're learning, they teach that out of you, and at some point you're like, I don't care, I'm.
Speaker 2: Gonna do it.
Speaker 1: I had both feet uber driver recently and it made me not Yeah, I'm going to get sick in this car.
Speaker 3: Now, you've got me thinking of my dad driving and brought up and we had a nineteen seventy two Volkswagen Bug that he still has that's sitting in his garage in perfect shape.
Speaker 2: But he would drive. That's a stick shift.
Speaker 3: I didn't going to basketball game or something on a Saturday morning and it was freezing cold and Omaha, Nebraska. My man would be driving a stick shift while having a hot cup of coffee.
Speaker 2: And it's smoking a cigarette.
Speaker 3: And when he didn't wasn't busy smoking the cigarette or drinking the coffee, he was scraping the ice off the windshield.
Speaker 2: As we drove down the road.
Speaker 5: Windows rolled up while he was smoking in the car.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I had to beg him to roll the window down. God, I smoke.
Speaker 1: I mean, I have such a similar memory. My dad bamboozled a friend of his into trading a little dots and wagon we had for his VW bug. Turns out they were both bamboozling. They were both lemons, but the same thing. Riding in my dad in this little bug, and he'd have breakfast in one hand and coffee in the other, and so I would shift, well, I would shift with my left and he would not spill a drop of that coffee. And but you know, we didn't have kids listening. We didn't have Yetti's and things like that.
Speaker 2: Back then.
Speaker 1: It was a straight up old school coffee cup.
Speaker 2: And they just knew how to balance it, just like it was on a gimbal, Like it was just perfect, same memory.
Speaker 3: Hey, you guys want to hear some messages we've gotten on the talk back on the iHeart radio app.
Speaker 2: Here is one. This is from Felix. I knowmin Eate, Sandy and Trich to do the ice bucket challenges together. Today the ice Bucket Challenge is back. It's my god, when was that big? Twelve years ago.
Speaker 4: Two fourteen, I think is when it was huge.
Speaker 2: Now it's for mental health.
Speaker 5: It's for mental health.
Speaker 4: You know there is a twenty four hour time limit to do it once you've been challenged.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that's not an official challenge. It's got to be a video of him doing it on social media.
Speaker 5: Oh that's true, so it's not I gotcha.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is not an official one. That was the big deal.
Speaker 1: So someone brought it back. But it's for a different charity because it used to be for AOLS, correct.
Speaker 2: Correct. They just sort of hijacked the whole thing and it's working. All the young teenagers are doing it.
Speaker 4: Our daughter did it. She's been nominated other people, you know what. Presidents were doing it, Bill Clinton, George Bush, Oprah did it back in the day when it was huge for als.
Speaker 2: And I guess for like your daughter's age, Like, this is brand new.
Speaker 3: Exactly, yeah, exactly, so is Pat benatar Rio, speed Wagon, Fleetwood Mac Huge for the kids.
Speaker 2: Love it, love it. Here's another message.
Speaker 3: So this one's directed at you, and it's from a conversation that we had yesterday. Hey, Tricia, you know all the women listening are calling out names of people who weren't trying to show their package.
Speaker 5: I love it, y'all make me laugh.
Speaker 4: When I got when I kind of went off topic and kept talking about male actors or singers who were well and down you can tell through their pants.
Speaker 1: She had a lot of names off the top of her head.
Speaker 5: They didn't realize that I was that aware.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: In fact, an episode of the podcast from yesterday, as Tricia checks out the moose knuckle grabbed the podcast version of the show, if you can't be here for the whole thing. And finally, here's another message here. I made a mistake just before Easter.
Speaker 2: Sandy, it's GOsC on this not break on the head, Costca.
Speaker 3: She said, Costco ronis you break on the head cheaceronis you eat? You're talking about setty eggs at Christmas?
Speaker 2: And I got them. I got them screwed up so kind of I didn't even catch that either.
Speaker 3: I'll never forget it again, right coscaronis chia cronies too completely.
Speaker 5: Now I want to know what cheaceronis are. What do you eat o the little.
Speaker 3: Now? They're kind of like a pork rind, I think, are they? I don't know anybody got the Google Machine open feature.
Speaker 4: My Google Machine is open. Oh it is a fried belly or fried pork grins? Yeah, yeah, chicken ston or beef. They do look good.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 5: I want to eat Mexican food tonight.
Speaker 2: That's so easily influenced last night. You didn't want Mexican food.
Speaker 4: No, I did not want Mexican food last night. Tonight I do because I just saw that picture.
Speaker 3: I shout out to Jack Allen's. We went to Jack Allen's last night and our waitresses name was Kylie and she was freaking fantastic, great, and the food was great and they have the best Qualkamali.
Speaker 1: I'd just say that's one of the most consistently good places in town.
Speaker 5: Absolutely you jeff JB.
Speaker 2: Jeffrey, I don't know. I'm sure I have. I haven't been there in a minute, but everything I've had there is great.
Speaker 4: They had a pumpkin seeds on top of it, and their chips are warm.
Speaker 5: Oh so good.
Speaker 2: Tough to beat Jack Allens, that's for sure. I ate healthy too.
Speaker 3: I had the trout Normally, normally I get the chicken fried pork chop, but trying to eat.
Speaker 2: A little healthier.
Speaker 3: All right, coming up today, you don't want to leave this show at all today because one, we have something that you need to know about. It's an app that JB discovered that lets you know how many times your personal information has been exposed on the on the Internet. Also, some fun stuff with Benson Boone, you know the beautiful thing singer. Some people are doing some clever stuff on Instagram with it. We're gonna share it with you. But up next we're gonna do the people's business and share with you the story we love.
Speaker 2: What do you have?
Speaker 5: It's actually the people's business.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna tell you about something that the House and the Senator are trying to pass for Austin that JB. I heard you got tangled up in this mess not too long ago, so I think you'll be interested in this.
Speaker 3: Stick around. It's coming up on Austin's eighty station. On oh three point one and streaming on iHeartRadio app. It's the JB and Sandy Show on Austin's eighty station. What O three point one. Hey, if you want to win a thousand dollars, be listening at nine o'clock.
Speaker 2: That's your first chance today.
Speaker 3: It's coming up at nine on Austin's eighty station one oh three point one. Christa says the House and the Senator trying to get something done to change something in Austin that JB got wrapped up in not too long ago.
Speaker 2: That's come up in just a sec. Thanks for being with us.
Speaker 3: And you can listen to the JB and Sandy are every day seven until eight o'clock. And of course we've mentioned several times. Grab the podcast version of the show. It's available on the iHeartRadio app. All you have to do is search JB and Sandy the stories we love.
Speaker 2: Good morning.
Speaker 4: So there are two bills in front of the session right now, a House bill and a Senate bill, and the sole purpose of both of these bills is to try and prevent the city from stopping people from cutting down cedar trees on their properties.
Speaker 1: The cedar trees, like any city from doing it.
Speaker 5: Specifically for Austin right now.
Speaker 2: For Austin.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's the ash juniper trees, also known as cedar trees. They're the ones that look like they're on fire about this time of year because they're releasing the giant clouds of yellow pollen and killing people with allergies. And right now there's laws in place that you can't cut them down. You know a little bit about that, right, jab.
Speaker 2: I do, Unfortunately. I So I lived in Westlake for about fourteen fifteen.
Speaker 1: Years something like that, and when I was newer in Westlake, I've lived on a hillside just surrounded by these cedar trees, and on one side of my driveway towards the corner of the lot, the previous owner had just been dumping all.
Speaker 2: Brush there, all this rush. It was pilate.
Speaker 1: It was a tinder box, right, And so I had I had just like a you know, just a skeleton crew off Craigslist or something. I think I saw this guy with a truck maybe with a magnet on the side of it come clean all that up. And I was like, why we're here, can we take out some of these cedar trees?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: These are not the ones, right in front of my house, but kind of off to the side, and it just it just looked like a mess, and I just wanted it cleaned up.
Speaker 4: Oh boy, what happened?
Speaker 1: They cut of a couple of them down, and before you know it, there's like nothing better to do in Westlake. There's like three cop cars there with their lights and sirens showing up.
Speaker 5: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: And they they wrote me a big old ticket. I had to go to court. And it's it's a thing in Westlake. They do not want you to cut down any cedar trees. Now, I've heard since I left, it's been a while, it's been nine years. I think I've heard they've relaxed a little bit of what you can do around the perimeter of your home, especially on a downslope, so behind your home, if you run a downslope, you can go a little farther. But man, I just worried about those hills going up in flames. Yeah easily. And yeah, cedar trees are are are invasive. They're not natural to this area. And they they you probably know more about this sandy. They drink more water than most trees, like they suck up the water.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I bet you that's a lot of the reasoning behind this bill to make it okay to get rid of us the water consumption.
Speaker 2: They take up a ton of water.
Speaker 3: I can tell you how to get rid of a cedar tree the natural the natural way.
Speaker 5: You can't.
Speaker 2: Well, if you built like Sandy, you just choke it to death.
Speaker 3: Nope, you get yourself a big one hundred pounds chocolate lab and having pea on it for about two years.
Speaker 5: Bumper, a.
Speaker 4: Huge tree, and are you really just peed it to death?
Speaker 3: That it was? It killed that tree. He peed on it every day for a couple of years and it was dead.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: The funnier thing about that story once we are really proud of Bumper for doing that. The other part was the guy that we hired to get rid of the dead tree, Mister Romaldo came over and did it.
Speaker 2: My man had that I'm not kidding.
Speaker 3: You had that tree chopped down, cut up into pieces and hauled off in an hour and a half.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if that long. It was fifteen foot tree.
Speaker 4: Huge tree. Bumper had very powerful urine.
Speaker 1: What was funny side note with that Westlake incident where I got in trouble. I had planned on putting some other trees in there. But it was really funny. And I guess what's they call it. Statute of limitations has got to be pass there and come after me.
Speaker 2: Sure it was.
Speaker 1: But my father in law was old college friends with somebody on city council, and after this incident happened, I went to go see him, said look what I do, and he said, go to court, apologize, take the slap on the hand. They're going to give you a small fine, but they're going to rick acquire tree replacement X number of inches for everything you cut down. So it was going to be very large trees I would have to put in, and we're very expensive.
Speaker 2: He said.
Speaker 1: Little insider tip. Tell them you're going to do the tree replacement, go to home depot and get some oak trees and some laurels or whatever. Throw them in there. They're not they're not going to come back by and do a tree count again. And it's funny you mentioned that because I was cutting through Westlake the other day and I was like, oh, go buy the old house, and those trees have grown and they look great and they don't look junkie like the old cedar.
Speaker 2: Yeah crap, he was there before. Yeah, welcome now.
Speaker 1: In Westlake's defense, and you don't get it until you live there for a while. They don't want everybody to come in and have perfectly manicured lawns, yeah, and perfectly edge bushes. In fact, they own like the first ten feet of your lot, and they want that sort of canno tree can it be when you drive through there? They don't want perfect sidewalks, and unless you live near Austin country Club, that's a little more refined. Yes, there are parts that are more of a development, I guess if you will, that are a little slicker than old Westlake streets. But when you live there a while, you'll go, Okay, I get it. I like the natural scape they don't like. I'll give you another example. They don't want you putting in a bunch of landscape lights and lighting up your house in the trees, so it is pitch black and really yeah, it's.
Speaker 3: The getting used to it thing. Is kind of like dating a girl with hairy arm pits. First, I don't really like this, but.
Speaker 5: Then I know not that bad.
Speaker 1: It doesn't want a natural It's very similar yeah, keeping a natural exactly.
Speaker 2: Don't get it. Don't get an ideas.
Speaker 5: Something wrong with the way your brain works. What did you say, something wrong with the way your brain works.
Speaker 4: We're talking about like beautiful natural trees and you go straight to Harry Armpits on Its Chick.
Speaker 5: It's so weird.