Speaker 1: How'd you like to listen to dot net rocks with no ads?
Speaker 2: Easy?
Speaker 1: Become a patron for just five dollars a month. You get access to a private RSS feed where all the shows have no ads. Twenty dollars a month. We'll get you that and a special dot net Rocks patron mug. Sign up now at patreon dot dot NetRocks dot com. Hey, get down, rock and roll build, We're here. It's dot net rocks.
Speaker 2: I'm Carl Franklin, average cap.
Speaker 1: And the end of the second day of recording for us. So you know, it's been a good two days so far.
Speaker 2: I got another one to go today. I've been knocking out run as, having a good time doing it. Awesome.
Speaker 1: I've already done a couple of Blazer puzzles and Jeff Fritz is chock full. I saw our friend Beth outside just now. Yeah, so who used to be Massy? And now I can ever remember her new last name is?
Speaker 2: It? Didn't change it? Oh? Okay, okay, did the wedding?
Speaker 1: Well, that's true, I was there and I don't remember. I don't even remember what I have for breakfast. That's good because I didn't have breakfast.
Speaker 2: Okay, here we go.
Speaker 1: Before we start, let's talk about nineteen fifty five. Episode nineteen fifty five. This episode nineteen fifty five. So we've been talking a little history about what happened. Okay, here, What do you like about nineteen Well, I just know a couple of things significant, you know, cultural, political, and social events. The first McDonald's restaurant opened there. It's definitely a cultural event. Yeah, yeah, fast food, right, Disneyland debuted, and The McKey mouse Club premiered on TV.
Speaker 2: Coincidence, I don't think so. No.
Speaker 1: Politically, the Warsaw Pact was formed and West Germany became a sovereign state. On the social front, Rosa Park's arrest sparked the Montgomery Bus boycott, and the racially inspired murder of Emmett Till caused national outrage. There's a lot more, for sure. What are you thinking about computer tech wise or science wise?
Speaker 2: The first atomic clock, which was measuring the frequency of caesium, so it was an incredibly precise clock. Wow, it was the beginning of the atomic age. Nineteen fifty five, right, But more importantly Velcrow now Velcrow and the Big Mac in the same year, and the first wireless television remote the Zenith flash Omatic. You know. I called it the flash omatic because it used light. It used light. They put a sensor in each corner of the screen, and depending on what corner of the screen you pointed at, it either turn channel up one or the channel down one, or the volume up one or the volume down one.
Speaker 1: Isn't that?
Speaker 2: It was simply cool. And before that there was you had a remote, but it was wired and people didn't like the wire So this was the first wireless, just with a flashing light. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was the remote from my older brother. Yes, let's get up and change a channel. I'll smack you right. Were you the remote for your older siblings? Is that why you play?
Speaker 3: I'm the oldest, but I was definitely the remote for my dad.
Speaker 2: For your dad, I will have children except stupid.
Speaker 1: I tried to train the dog to do it, but never never work. It doesn't work out, all right, So I guess it's time now for better Now a framework? All right?
Speaker 2: Okay, dude, what do you got? All right?
Speaker 1: So I went looking on what's trending in GitHub and again for repos and.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of AI weird trending and here we are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's an AI world, So this one is awesome. Chat GPT prompts. This repo includes chat GPT prompt curation to use chat, gipt and other LLLM tools better so they chatpt but works with these prompts, work with other AI models. Claude Gemini, hugging Face, jet Lama, mister Roll and Moore. Thank you, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's not going to show up all the ship.
Speaker 1: No, probably not, but Brandon, if it does, I would like to say thank you.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so that's it. I mean, it's it's kind of a long read me because there's a lot of stuff there. Oh yeah, but here's just a couple. Act as Ethereum developer, nice, act as a Linux terminal, act as an English translator and improver, act as a job interviewer, act as a JavaScript console, as an Excel sheet. So yeah, some very creative prompts there. I'm sure people are finding good use. So that's what I found. Who's talking to us today.
Speaker 2: Richard Gravin Kalinov Show fourteen twenty five, So going back to New York, have a little bit. That was March of twenty seventeen. We talked to our friend Damian Brady about Brownfield DevOps. Yes, I happen to know Nicole has done a little bit of DEVO related stuff over the years. And this particular, this is when we're sort of talking about bringing the DevOps practice of that sort of automation and controls over an existing application.
Speaker 1: Right, was Damian with Octoplus back then?
Speaker 2: I think he might have been Actually, yeah, of course he's a cloud advocate these days. And so our friend Hilton ge Is now commented on that show. Yeah, and he said, I was listening to the Brownfield devop show and realize some things. One, A green field is actually when it's lush and growing. Well, I'm thinking, say, like a cornfield or something, it's actually about to bear fruit. As contrast to Brownfield is one, it's just the start of the process. There's sort of a file new project. Right, So he's totally clipping the concept on his head. Right, he's not wrong, Yeah, you know. And then two if one things of financial services or wealth management firms is the idea of quote unquote building a legacy is a tremendous need to be proud of. It's something valuable lead behind. Whereas the software development is concerned to all something old, rotten and tarnished. It's definitely something you left behind because you changed jobs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I'm thinking of ways that brown field could be a bad thing. You know, I'm not so sure I would want to walk through a green field, but not.
Speaker 2: Through a brown field because yeah, you getr shoes to money. Yeah, it's not a good thing. It's not a good thing. So I mean it is possible. As an industry, we've actually got these terms flipped around, and you should start fresh with brownfield projects and build a legacy system to be proud of.
Speaker 1: It's really smart.
Speaker 2: Oh, Kilton, you're so clever. But you know, the.
Speaker 1: Planting grass, it's got to be brown before.
Speaker 2: It becomes green, and then the birds are gonna eat the seeds. You're gonna have to plant it again. Ask me how I know, Hilton. Thank you so much for your comment, and a copy of music Goba is on its way to you. And if you'd like a copy of music kobay I, write a comment on the website at dotnet rocks dot com or all the facebooks we publish every show there, and if you comment there and ever read on the show, we'll send you a copy of music Goby.
Speaker 1: Music to Code by the Flack version is now the most popular downloaded version.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because Flack play on everything, I presume it does well.
Speaker 1: But what most people do is they download them and Flack and then they convert them to wave right and they you know, you get the same quality, but it's half the size. It's like a zipped wave. Oh so flat the flat smaller.
Speaker 2: The wave is big.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, Flack is half the size, but it's lossless. Good anyway. Music to Code by dot Net there's twenty two tracks. Go get them there. They'll help you focus and they'll help you be a better programmer. Okay, let's bring back Nicole Forsgren. She's a DevOps and developer productivity expert who thrives on helping large organizations reshape their culture, processes, and technology to improve their business and enhance the developer experience. She combines AI tools with developer expertise to help teams unlock productivity in innovation. And I know this isn't one of those bios that you feel you had to sneak AI in there just to be relevant.
Speaker 3: Because we know you really do that, I actually do.
Speaker 1: You're an AI person.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodnessess, well, I need wear on Donna rocks back in twenty seventeen with our friend Jas Humble in the day, the Dora days and a regular on run. Ass know, half a dozen times over the years, starting with that in person interview at the CHEF conference. I think it was. I think so it was a long time ago. Good to see you again, Good to see you having a good build, I mean love.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's historic in my mind, this period right here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, really crazy emerging technologies. But you've moved on from Dora. It got acquired by Google, didn't it.
Speaker 3: We were acquired by Google.
Speaker 2: Congratulations, thank you?
Speaker 3: It was it was great. Yeah, the team that I got to work with there was wonderful. And the Dora team continues now.
Speaker 2: Sure they still do the report every year. I read it. Yeah, and then ever.
Speaker 1: Can you tell me just what is Dora and what was it? Or what is it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? What's the shorthand for Dora? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Absolutely So. Dora was a multi year now at this point, over a decade research project that looked into, you know, kind of investigating the types of things that can improve software delivery performance and organizational packed and output. So things that now everyone jumping the way back machine. Imagine being the late two thousands, early twenty tens, when we weren't sure. We were hearing stories that things like CICD were important, that things like continuous integration were important, you know, in particular automated testing cloud. So you know, discussions would come up with leaders and organizations or managers and they'd say, oh, well, you know that won't work here, or well that doesn't work like this, or we're a different organization, or even well, what do you mean by CI? What do CI even mean? Because you know at that point also everyone's just redefining it constantly, and so the research program kind of broke all of these pieces down and tested statistically across the whole industry. I mean, we had thousands, tens of thousands of responses and so we could and data points that we could really test on. So that's so DORA was originally short for DevOps Research and Assessment and it was the State of Develops reports. He originally started with the Puppet team and then broke out and did it through DORA well, and that led to the book Accelerate, So some folks know Accelerate. Accelerate is kind of it yeah, synopsis and summerization of the first several years of work.
Speaker 2: I always felt that you were the person who brought the real rigor to analyzing the results of these product teams to show that when they followed these practices, the results were substantial. They were orders of magnitude productivity increases. Like it seems so anecdotal until you started writing those reports, where now it's not acdotal, it's completely scientific, like, here are the numbers, here's what you do, and you two can have this experience, your teams can perform like that. You know.
Speaker 3: The other thing that I think was great, you know, I really value the partnerships that we had with you know, Jess Humble, Gene Kim Puppet, a lot of Brown, Nigel Kurston. I was this cute little baby faculty member and I walked in and I'm like, I would like to help you with some of your data. Oh, by the way, let's also really rethink the research design here so we can test some of these relationships out. And so, you know, to their credit, they were like, yeah, let's go for it, and so everyone kind of jumped in, and you know, Papa had been getting some really interesting results before and Alana Brown was the first person to really see that this was kind of an emerging field and deserve some kind of study. But by having this kind of research design, we were able to also do things like what pieces of continuous integration are important for performance and predictive with performance. Right, So for example, it's three things. That's when you check in code, you automatically get a build it, automa kicks off build it automatically kicks off tests, and you have to keep the build green.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: And for some people that was you know, like they'd have two of the three because you know, it's same. I think it's same thing with AI right now. Right, it's all about the tech. It's like about the yes and the culture and what you prioritize and the decisions that the teams and the processes around that. So the nice thing is we had kind of the statistical significance, but also the research design helped provide direction regardless of whatever technology stack you were on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was the thing that was so cool for me reading all this. It's like it doesn't matter, right, like you if you follow these practices and grow this culture mindset, it doesn't matter what jewels you use. You can get these kinds of results. You know, there's obviously things ultimately need to build, but there's no secret sauce other than making the effort.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and now you don't even really need to make the effort. I mean, so many of these processes are built in, you know, get up actions and things like that. I mean, you have to set them up and turn them on. But it's trivial compared to what it was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the world, the world's different. But I would also say that, you know, a bunch of this is table stakes. Now it's super important, and if anything, it's more important now that AI's here. Yeah, because now people are just making code and innovating, experimenting super super fast, and you know it just frustration and sadness and using computers and anger if you can do all of this incredible coding and prototyping and then you're stuck behind this giant wall of waiting for build and integration and slow feedback and flicky tests and nothing else works.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, waiting for iety to heat to bloy. And remember build servers back in the nineties, build servers yeah yeah, well and the build.
Speaker 3: Master yeah oh yeah, what's old is new again?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and one person that was the only person allowed to do the build. It's like build, we did that on Fridays. But why we would do that on Fridays before going home from the weekend, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Because sometimes it took forty eight hours to round.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true. Yeah, no question or was that it was bunch like? So now a new book coming, Yes, And I saw on LinkedIn you had a vote for the title. Yeah, and I think Frictionless is such a good title, Like it just gives me chills.
Speaker 3: That's the one we had it on. So shout out to LinkedIn folks. Thank you.
Speaker 2: It's a good name. What are you talking about?
Speaker 3: So the book is about developer experience, right, and how it's important, why it's important, how you can make the business case, but especially, and I think most importantly, how you can improve developer experience yourself.
Speaker 2: We have you know, as a developer as the leader.
Speaker 3: Yes, right now, it's probably going to be easiest or most straightforward for someone who is the head of a developer productivity team or an infrastructure team or a DEVX team or you know, pick the word that your company loves. But there are still some really cool, good tools and tips and tricks that anyone could use. You know, it's almost like the old DevOps days, right, Sometimes you had exec support, sometimes it was uh grassroots.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just you know, I remember we told the story of this one person walk around asking questions. It's just sort of surfacing areas really of friction, yep. And and as the conversations start, it's like, hey, you know I could build you a tool that would make that piece easier, or you know, we can I could deal with this piece. You know, the folks and OPS were able to do certain things that was tough for DEV, and there were things that DEV could build and made life easier for OPS. And as soon as those conversations started bearing, things started moving faster.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And you know, so I'm writing the book with Aby Noda, who is you know, founder and CEO of d X and he's also you know, we're both but you know, having all of these conversations with technology leaders and developers and you know, finding the best you know, the best practices that we have right now around developer experience, what it means in traditional systems, how to improve it, what it means for AI right now. Like I said, if anything, it's even more important.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'm just thinking about how because again you and I've had this conversation many times. How different is dev ops today? Admittedly, as car brought up, the tooling is better, but the asks are different now too. Everything's going to the cloud. People expect you to iterate very quickly. There are almost no version numbers per se anymore. You just supposed to the scale.
Speaker 3: The scale and the speed and the size are really no, they're almost On the one hand, I want to say they're changing things, but really they're not. I think they're amplifying things. Right, The fundamentals and the principles are still there. And to be fair, I'll say that every you know, I used to say every year or two. At this point, every three or six months or so, I kind of sit back and I say, has anything fundamentally changed? Is something that used to be important no longer important? And so far the answer is no. Right, we still need to have fast bills, we still need to have good tests, we still need to have good disaster recovery. We still want to, you know, think about security. How that's implemented might look a little bit different. And again, right, it's at scale, and now we have AI not only are things happening faster, they're happening larger, right, like our dicks are much much bigger. So how do we think about approaching that? So I think, you know, like I said, on the one hand, it hasn't changed at all because the fundamentals are there. And on the other hand, it's very much changed because we're kind of dealing with different technologies and new technologies and again different scale and size and reliability and security. I mean, yeah, the world has changed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, without a doubt. And then yeah, I just think about you talked about the repository of prompts, Carl, and oh, yeah, like the prompts are becoming code.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right. They're becoming sort of the lingua franca of you know, instead of I can imagine like a sub stack where you're you know, publishing prompts, yeah, or publishing.
Speaker 3: So a colleague of mine at MSR ben Zorn, has been working on a project around you know, how prompts are code and you need to be thinking about saving them and versioning them because also as our models change, different prompts will be differently effective, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they won't be. It's actually from a historical purpose. Interesting if they take this prompt and just run it on all these different models and see how they're evolving too. People keep telling me the new models are better, and I keep asking them, how do you know? Well?
Speaker 3: And also define better? Yeah, it's like define quality exactly, so many different ways to think about it and define it.
Speaker 1: And everything getting a little meta. You know, it probably won't be long. Probably doing it now, you know, people asking their AI to help them with their prompts for other AI.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's happening, Yeah, it's happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like, what would the best prompt be for you to have this outcome?
Speaker 3: And then well, especially an agentic right, because sometimes a role is to execute something, but a role can also be to write and craft and tune the prompt right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So why didn't you give me that in the first place? You didn't ask?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, we're talking about this like rapid iteration. It's going to be the iterating of prompts as much a it's going to be the iterating of any given piece of code. Yeah, and how that stuff ultimately gets generated.
Speaker 3: Well, and then I think also not just iterating on the prompts, but understanding and tracking the quality of cops. Right, what does testing look like across different props, across different models?
Speaker 2: Sure? Yeah, well let software behave the way the customers back. Yep. That is a very broad principle. There's just a lot of ways to get to that point that had come close to a yes or with some degree of certainty, just like my software is secure to some degree of certainty. Does is this ux coherent? I mean, we usually don't directly articulate those sentiments. We work towards them, but now with prompt behavior, I think we tend to say them out loud now because we have to feed them to the machine. Yeah, to get it to start moving down that path.
Speaker 1: I had my first experience today with agent mode in the Evisual studio.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you've been busy, Not really.
Speaker 1: I just took it for a spin and I asked to do things that I knew how to do, and it did them, except it got hung up on one little thing. Okay, So here's the thing. Blazer has these edit forms and there's an input text that subclasses the HTML input so it can support validation rules and things like that. And I asked it to make a form and it did, And then I said Okay, I want you to do the validation on every keystroke. And when you do that with an input tag, you use the event on input right to handle the binding the bind event. But you can't do that with an input text. It doesn't support that out of the box. But the agent didn't know that, and so it tried twice and I said, no, that didn't work.
Speaker 2: You're going to have to subclass that control. And it did well.
Speaker 1: I was the one that knew what it should do, and it actually did it in a way that's different than I'd done it. So I actually learned something and it worked, and it worked.
Speaker 2: But you still had to give it the hints. You still had to tell it. Just speak to the role and expertise in all of this though, absolutely, yeah, yeah, that's why I told the story. Yeah, no, I appreciate that. And at the same time, it's like, it's not enough to write the prompt, it's also to evaluate the results.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, you know, is.
Speaker 2: This good enough? Should it be better? Like you'd almost have a default that says you should improve that, just to see if it does well.
Speaker 3: And you know, it's interesting because now when you write code, you write generate code and review the code as you go, So we're sort of introducing another early layer of review code review.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, especially when you tell your agent to handle this handle this issue on your Kidhub repo, for example, and it creates a full request and documents it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, better than you. Better than you would.
Speaker 3: Have that, right, especially documents.
Speaker 1: But you know you're doing a code review of the agent and you have to figure it out. You're the one that approves it ultimately.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's going to give us some really good questions to think about because as we are evaluating, you know, reviewing, validating code and pull requests that are entirely generated from someone else something else, right, we need to have a good mental model of the code base and the architecture in our head to understand how it fits in with how it interacts everything else like that, and moving forward. I think that's going to be a really interesting question and challenge because now none of my code is operating production right now, but it used to, and I know that that's how I built up my mental model, and I kind of like feel of the system was doing that coding and writing that code, and you know, running these tests, and it'll be really interesting to see how we can help support the building of mental models, the evolution of mental models of how the back end code base works because agents can and then agents will probably also you know, evolve to be able to handle more of that. But at the end of the day, you know, developers are still deciding and approving and orchestrating all of these systems.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, absolutely so.
Speaker 3: Sorry that was real meta.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but we can also end that with for now right for now.
Speaker 3: Wow, someone tried telling me something was going to It's just impossible, and I'm like, m is it though? Things are moving way too fast right now to say anything definitively Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And then at the same time with like, I don't think the innovation is particularly wildly new. It's not exponential, but we're very much in an engineering cycle where we're finding ways to slip these new tools in and starting to think about how they fit together and what they could do for us. And it does feel like we're really changing the development workflow, even though the principles are still the same. Yep. We're still trying to deliver value to customers and trying toterate quickly get those those features out as soon as possible. Take feedback from their use and shape the next versions something I guess it's an area I haven't explored much yet.
Speaker 3: Well, and version code. You know, before it was versioning code and understanding tests and you know, building out the build graph. Well, now when lms are at the heart of a lot of work, now we need to be thinking about data and data versioning and model and model versioning, and so you know.
Speaker 2: It'sa do you know they're getting better when you make the new version?
Speaker 3: Yep, exactly, And then how would you roll back or shift to a model or a model version or to a to a different data set, right, And so, I you know, that's another thing that I think comes to mind to some folks are like, well, you know, we won't need developers anymore, there's no junior devs. And I'm like, no, we're creating an entirely new class of development. That's important. If we think about the earliest days of you know, before it was DevOps, we didn't really have infrastructure teams the way we do now, and they weren't we didn't understand the whole industry, didn't understand how important it was from a leverage standpoint, just like right now, right for mL developers out there. You know, it's been kind of a challenge. And now that skill set is super important, and that skill set you know, plus plus plus plus plus.
Speaker 2: Sure, well, and there isn't I don't feel like there's consistent patterns to making of those things right now. It's very wild westy.
Speaker 3: Oh, because we're all still figuring it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, and so we don't. I really haven't seen a set of practices that make me feel like that's a way that's going to be successful. These new tools every day, and they're you know, moving the goalposts all the time, so it's hard to try and come up with a set of practices that are really going to be consistent.
Speaker 3: This is a fun time to be in tech.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, well, I'm kind of excited for a junior to imagine a junior developer just coming up now where you're always going to have a prompt like, how much of our time is now scraping off the craft of our old coding practices because we have all these new possibilities in front of us, right well.
Speaker 3: And how much time can you save by chasing down a problem that's just kind of silly and nonsense. I was right, Well, you know, TPD on this term. You know, some people love it, some hate it. It's vibe coding the other day and writing up I know, right, I don't know if you've heard it's vibe coding thing or you know, I was just yollowing it.
Speaker 1: Is vibe coding a pejorative to you.
Speaker 3: I think it is to some people. I joke when I chat with my team, I tell I'm just yellowing it, right, Yeah, I mean I still check the code sometimes. Every once in a while, I've done something just to see how far it can go. And I've been like, I've set up a condition where I'm not allowed to change the code. If I were someone who didn't understand any of this and I only had the prompt, what would I do?
Speaker 2: Anyway?
Speaker 3: I was, Yeah, I was working on this thing and it kept breaking, and I was like, okay, well i'll i'll you know, relax that constrain. I'll go figure it out. Listen. I spent a couple hours like going through every forum and googling everything I could, and finally I was like, this is dumb. Please fix What does this error message mean? Please fix it for me? And I think probably because I've done this before, I will ask it first because it like loads into context what it needs to know. And then fris that Listen, that was fixed in thirty seconds, and it was it was an obscure configure error that like I wouldn't have found for another couple hours. And as a junior dev, those were the types of things that I hit, especially my first six months or a year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, that were just showstoppers.
Speaker 3: And to understand this, yeah, it would take hours because I didn't want to ask someone or I would and then like and then I'm interrupting someone. I think this is one of the great unlocks where junior developers are going to be so productive. I'm super impactful, and honestly, I was a professor for years, you know, Richard, Sometimes junior folks have the best ideas because they aren't they're not constrained, they're not hardened by all of the broken.
Speaker 2: Deaths stuff that we've been doing.
Speaker 3: They don't have the scars, and so now they can actually surface these ideas in like very visible productive ways.
Speaker 2: This is what I'm thinking, is that junior is going to come up whose reflexes to prompt again, Yeah, that reflex we don't have yet. And things in those terms. How do I deal with this from a prompt perspective rather than our visceral reaction would be get under the hood. Look at the code I've changed?
Speaker 3: Well, both and both right, because sometimes we need to tell it. You have to break down a problem a couple of times.
Speaker 2: So I think, just like you said, you need to subclass that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well yeah, I think imprompts now all the time. If I'm spending more than you know, thirty seconds scratching my head about something, it goes right into an agent or a chat, GPT or something. Take a screenshot. What does this mean? If I don't know?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well it's time to take a break. We'll be right back after these very very important messages don't go away. Did you know? You can easily migrate asp net web apps to Windows containers on Aws. Use the app to container tool to containerize your IIS websites and deploy to AWS Managed Container service is with or without Kubernetes. Find out more about app to container at AWS dot Amazon dot Com, slash, dot net, slash modernize, and we're back. It's dot in a rocks. I'm Carl Franklin as Richard Campbell, either and we are talking about AI with Nicole, and we're talking about DevOps in AI. We started on the DevOps thing got sidetracked into AI. But how does how do AI tools make their way into the DevOps architecture infrastructure?
Speaker 3: I love this question right in part because I think it's something we're still discovering, like we were kind of, you know, chatting about, and also I think it's important because it's something that is not on everyone's radar right right now, everyone is super excited about Copilot and you know, all of these tools that you can use to write code.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is on.
Speaker 3: The ninety and you know we all know this because we're developers or you know, we're developers. In my case, there's a lot more to software engineering and building great product and building great systems than just writing code. There's this review, there's pr there's integration, there's release, there's so many things, and so I think there's just a world of possibility for AI and AI agents to be able to help out. Now that also comes with you know, but wait, right, what do we think about hallucinations or correctness or all of these other things, which also introduces sorry, I'm gonna harp on this because I have heard too many people say that the junior dev is dead. We've now created and introduced entirely new skill sets, right, how do we validate this? What does testing look like across all these different stages for non deterministic systems, you.
Speaker 1: Almost have to test a junior developer's creativity and their imagination, because, let's face it, that's what's holding the old guys back.
Speaker 3: I woul gonna say, I think juniors are some of the best equipped here because now seniors will have some great experience in architectural design limitations and trade offs involved, but also we're just so ingrained in the way things work and the way things look and how to build a thing and not okay, what if we flipped the entire thing on its side differently exactly?
Speaker 2: Well, and then we're also at a time where nobody has a decade of experience with all alabas. Right, that's right, we're all juniors effectively. Yeah, this is a question of how much bag did you bring to the table. But at the same time, you know, hopefully you've gone through a few iterations like this over the years, you have a bunch of sort of standards that you go by about quality and approaches to things so forth that are beyond any given tool. Yeah, it helps me. I want to jump back onto the frictionalist side of things because I think we've focused too many on the tools and not enough on the culture.
Speaker 3: Absolutely right. So as we you know, Auby and I have been going through the book, there a not insignificant part of the book that isn't about tools at all, frankly, right, It's about understanding what devex is and why we need to remove friction and communicating that to others in the company. Whether that's you know, making the business case you can kick something off, or whether it's once you're starting to deploy a technical solution or something. Right that frankly needs a COMMS plan because internally we need to communicate to several audiences. We need to identifiers stakeholders. We need to tell developers why it's valuable and why they should use it. We need to tell engineering managers why it's valuable and why they should care about it. We need to be telling executives and leaders across various disciplines, you know, our CIOs and our CTOs, but also HR and finance why this is important what they should care about and all of those messages are going to be different, and how do we remove blockers and barriers, and how do we reduce whendn't they remove fear because a lot is changing, right, and so I think, you know, the cultural and the people in the communication part is is huge. And also process, right, we say.
Speaker 2: That's the old DEVO process tools.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, you know, yeah, exactly, well, and we were chatting with some of our earliest you know, reviewers and interviewers, and you know, the point kept raising up that sometimes the best DEVX change you can make is to a process. Right, Sometimes you can just clean up a process and it's a huge significant impact across an entire organization. Tools weren't involved, or maybe like tools were minimally involved.
Speaker 2: They weren't the deciding factor.
Speaker 3: Yep, exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then we also go through, you know, how to collect early data, how to more rigortory collect data so that you can get good signal into what's happening to make you know, decisions for maybe some of the obvious problems and then communicate those across. But then also how to prioritize and choose next projects as you continue on this.
Speaker 2: Journey yeah, the feedback side. Yeah, exactly, the cycle. And I wonder if jenerative AI is going to pay more of a role in that, doing a better job of trying to pull the signal out of the noise of telemetry to let us to let us see people are struggling with the app this way, or you know, these features aren't being utilized, Like all of that data is in the telemetry, but it sometimes it's really hard to see.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, and I will say frankly, there are a lot of times where the data doesn't exist, right, and so I have Yeah, and so I think this, you know, this DEVS journey or the journey to improve developer experience right includes both identifying friction points and improving them and also identifying where you have gaps in the data what you can do in the interim until you have something instrumenttic because by the way, don't start or don't wait to start until you've instrumented your entire stack, because that's never happening. Part of it is not just using AI to kind of evaluate the telemetry, but it's also understanding what data and what telemetry we need. Right, many times we have gaps in our data, and so it's part improving tools and process and communicating and culture, and sometimes it's prioritizing investments in instrumenting systems. Right, so what does that look like? I will say one area that I think AI can make a huge impact it already is is you know what I just talked about. We need to communicate to different stakeholders. Right now, we can pull together a bunch of data. I can have a very rough list of bullet points and findings, and I can say, help me rewrite that.
Speaker 2: Can you tune this for the C suite?
Speaker 3: Tune this for the C suite?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Also, you know we know ask it politely. This is what I want you to do. Can you please help me write it this way?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 3: Now write it for engineering managers? What am I missing if I'm writing this for HR? Can you help me generate a list of you know, starter questions for conversation in a workshop I'm going to run. That has gotten so much faster.
Speaker 2: That's really interesting, you know, I love it. I did very well as a product manager going through the logs and writing up a post factor report and a version like two weeks after a going through to see if we worry about to tip over and when we weren't just saying, hey, here's how a bouch of new features being used and things like that, Like it made a lot of people happy. What it didn't have was time to write it for all of those audiences. Yep, that's something in LLM is genuinely good, at at.
Speaker 3: Least for a first draft, right, because then you can go through and you can check a couple of things. But I don't know about you. I am faster at editing than I am writing totally, and so if I can give it a bunch of information, a few cues on, you know, this leader really cares about these one or two things. How can we frame it this way? It you know, I'll change a couple of sentences, I'll add a couple data points. But it's so much faster.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Do you see there's a place in the DevOps tool stack for agents, for ani agents to actually you know, do things of their own volition with your various resources, even if it's notifying you or sending communications to stakeholders or you know, do you see that there's a place in the tool chain for that.
Speaker 3: I think there will be a place. I think it's still you know, so early and you know, a gentic development and use that. Like, we're still kind of seeing where to best deploy them, how to best use them. What does what does autonomous mean?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: How autonomous is autonomous exactly?
Speaker 1: Well, you know, you you develop a prompt for your agent to say, you know, I'm not I don't even know. I'm just thinking. Well, so for example, you can tell it how to behave when a certain something arises, and it does.
Speaker 3: Sure, but as an example, and I'm just going to use the reporting one because sure, I think it's one that's going to be obvious to everyone. I can have a whole bunch of data come in, I can have it generate a draft of report for everyone. The reports could be perfect. I personally would never have an agent automatically send the executive report to the CEO on the board. That's not a risk right now.
Speaker 1: To some of our get up pull request model, right. You know, it sends it to you. You can send it on after an edit or two or whatever.
Speaker 3: But I also might have it go ahead and send it automatically to all of the developers because they may be expecting it on a monthly or a quarterly cadence. Now, executives might be expecting it on a six month cadence, but if I know they're in an off site or something just blew up, I'm not sending it that day. I will go ahead and wait forty eight hours, and I want it to come from me, right, I mean, yes, I know we can configure things so that it looks like it comes from someone, but that's you know, I do think there are cases where we're going to start feeling out what that looks like.
Speaker 2: Right, I'm pretty comfortable idea that we're going to want entities for each of these bits and software. So it's very clear that this was generated by an LM's analysis, and oh.
Speaker 3: My gosh, yes, please. You know, there's also a big open question around how do we evaluate and think about the downstream outcomes of code, because if we think about it, very few systems currently have let's say key logger level tracking or per character tracking, and so you know, right now, the question is often did you use AI or did you not use AI? That is such a yeah exactly grammar check or qualifying right, or like did I use AI and it like helped kickstart my brain and then I deleted everything it suggested except for like some set up comment something.
Speaker 2: Right stimulated an I and you ran with the idea.
Speaker 3: But then like downstream, which portions of the code perform well, Which portions of the code are more readable and so they do well in code review, Which portions of the code are challenging in build or integration, Which portions of the code have long term viability and success in production? And right now we just I'll say, we generally just don't have that level of granularity again, introduce new opportunities.
Speaker 2: Memory for me of what code reviews well versus what performs well, because I've done a lot of web performance optimization over the years that always reviewed poorly because it's on obvious code and looking at it and going why are you doing this? It's like because in a multi re entry, high velocity environment, this code is safe even though it's obtuse.
Speaker 3: Right exactly well? And then there's even i think really interesting open questions. Sorry, this is like researcher hat. We know that many times reviewers will react differently to code written by different people. Sure it's a junior reviewer, it's someone on another team, it's someone who probably isn't familiar with your codebase, or you think is not familiar with your code base. How are going to how are people going to react differently to code that is entirely written by AI? What conventions can we use so that it's more readable, so it's no more understandable, so it's more trustable? And in which case you know, like in your example, does it just need to be hard to understand? But it's okay because we know that that's what's happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I used to write those comic blocks off. This is this code look stupid to you. Don't touch it. It is a hard, one fought over piece of code for a very difficult problem. Yes, I wish it would be simpler, but it cannot be.
Speaker 1: Just to get back to the term AI and what does that mean? We go through these cycles where the public blombs onto words that they think means something and that means something else. Like your clock radio now has artificial intelligence.
Speaker 3: Right, It's like, I mean, if you put that sticker on the box, it's going to sell the more money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course, but I'm sorry clock radio, clock radio.
Speaker 1: Algorithm sort of thing, right, Yeah, oh that was an algorithm that did that.
Speaker 2: What does that mean?
Speaker 1: Or let's go to the world of food. Enzymes is a great one, and enzymes a protein, but it sounds like it's doing something you know, enzyme. Well, there is an enzymatic act. Okay, yeah, okay, but but you know, yeah, people just throw these terms around.
Speaker 2: Well, I've certainly been big on the fact that our official intelligence a term coined for raising money. It was a marketing strategy that then got hijacked by science fiction, and so of course everybody has a bad perception of it. We've had sixty years of abusing that term.
Speaker 3: And it very legitimately means several different things.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Sure, given the context, given the discipline, given the background, it's a blacking technology. They're all AI. And also depending on what your assumption is, it's definitely not AI.
Speaker 2: Well, I've always said if you still call it a dais because it doesn't work. As soon as it does work, it gets a new name. It becomes image recognition or you know, sentiment analysis or large language model. But if you only can call it AI, it's because you haven't figured it out yet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's also Yeah, I mean sometimes it's also the underlying technology, right, Like we've had AI for years and it's one thing. Now, lllms use a different type of math.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's always been that schism between the decision tree systems and the neural net systems, the neats and the scruppies. Yep, going back to Minski terms, which is really old school, so fun. Even when you actually are talking about the technological side of this, there's been two totally different sets of philosophies. Yeah, but then throw hal and Ultron on the top of that, and no wonder people are confused always. Yeah, I appreciate it though, but I also appreciate that we're thinking, in the terms with all of these technologies about the development experience could be better from this Not only could.
Speaker 3: Be, but I think it now. I've always said it needs to be, But now with a lot of teams and organizations that I talk to, we're really saying that where a subpar I won't even say bad, a subpar developer experience, the wheels are falling off. Yeah, things are just breaking because now we're trying to move so fast and generate so much, and so what does that mean for everything downstream? We have to figure out how to review it, we have to figure out how to test it, We have to figure out how to do building integration. We have to figure out how to release these huge amounts of code in compressed timeframes. And so you know, Richard, you know we've been saying for a while that, you know, DevOps or whatever you want to call it, Yeah, is table stakes. Oh listen, it's the bar is.
Speaker 2: There's a whole set of conversations you didn't get to have if you haven't figured this part out yet.
Speaker 3: And now for teams that have been organizations who have been winging it well enough, they are no longer. Yeah, we're going to see a lot of sprinting and burnout and or hopefully right improved systems that improve devs well.
Speaker 2: And recent convinced that software was eating the world. And now you know your your companies are more and more dependent on it. If you haven't solved these problems, you're not going to be able to build the software.
Speaker 1: Or you will.
Speaker 3: But now that things are moving so incredibly fast, you won't be able to keep up, right. I mean, it's always been a challenge of competitive advantage and who can build faster, And before it was maybe a difference of like six months and nine months or one year and one year and a half, which like isn't great but kind of fine. Well, now it's like weeks and if you're pulling in at a year plus for you know, a solid feature set or new product or something, and all of your competitors and brand new competitors because the industry is just yeah, it's like a bunch of weeds. Everyone's popping up everywhere. If they're coming out with something in six to eight weeks with a really solid tech preview or beta.
Speaker 1: Yeah, your toast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have troubles. I remember they accelerate. You were talking about the fact that version over a version you should be getting faster, but you found a lot of organizations at version over version were actually getting slower. Like you get mired in the croft and can't ship.
Speaker 3: The next version exactly, or you know sometimes the reflexes we shipped and we had some outages. So now what we're going to do is we're going to slow down and we're going to do a more thorough review, which then means you have even more code to try to push and integrate into PROD, which you know now you've just had a huge blast radius. Yeah, so you have more outages and then sometimes the reflex is then to have a code freeze or wait longer and go even slower.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Those are anti patterns. Yeah, the opposite of limitless. It's very limited.
Speaker 3: Yes, and it's fairly predictable. We see it very very often. Now, for any you know, haters who are listening, we are not saying to just go as fast as possible, throw everything at the wall and run. No, that's also not good, right. We're definitely saying that we need the automated processes and tools in place to ensure that your code is safe, secure, reliable, performance correct. But without those things, without the automation in particular, Yeah, it's real tough.
Speaker 2: But the automation can't come first. You're still in this place of can we evaluate well enough to know this is where the bottom lick is and then try and solve the bottleneck exactly? Yeah, and that then maybe tool makes sense there, but only because you want to solve the problem. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And you know something I learned kind of early on in my career, or someone said this to me. I wish I remembered who. But we can't automate something until we understand it. Sure, there really is value in doing something manually. A handful of times. Yeah, so we understand it and then we can automate it. Because if we automate too fast, all we've done is sped up something that is likely wrong or incomplete.
Speaker 2: Right, But now it goes quickly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but now go exactly.
Speaker 2: You applified stupidity instead of intelligence. Now it's faster.
Speaker 3: Well it can congratulations.
Speaker 1: It could have been too slow, but the fact that you're automating it, you won't notice that because hey, I'm not doing it, so it's faster.
Speaker 2: Than me doing it. Yeah, doing dumb faster.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but the solution is not to continue doing it manually forever.
Speaker 2: No, right, yeah, just because you do it dumb slow doesn't mean it's better. Right. But this is the consulting effect. Right. I never got hired to re engineer a business process. I got hired to automate. And my process of scrutinizing the workflow to make the automation re engineered the process. Like the two kind of go together that you have to you have to do what's acceptable to people as well to say I'm here to you know, make things better, make things better, and automation is safe. They're comfortable with that. But then in order to automate, you have to work through the manual process and understand it. And because you're the outside of you also get a point to go.
Speaker 1: I mean you're like Colombo out to Oh yeah, you get just one more question about this process.
Speaker 2: It's kind of inefficient.
Speaker 1: Do you mind if I just take a look at that?
Speaker 2: It's a good Columbo, thank you, good Peter Fox there go. But yeah, when do we scrutinize? I mean, it doesn't have to be an external like I definitely seen folks who've embarked on that sort of DevOps mindset where they just start talking to more people and they ask a lot of whys and often run into it's the way we've always done it right, So yeah, you know, we believe that that was necessary.
Speaker 3: Ye change, and we're seeing a lot of that now. Yeah, because everything's changing and we need to rethink or at least revisit how our systems are working.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you think we would do that routinely, but we don't because there's so many other things to do. Anyway, that idea of just taking the step back and looking through the processes again and say is this the right process?
Speaker 3: Well, and it's really hard to articulate the importance or the value of cleaning up systems and clearing up tech dead.
Speaker 2: Sure, it's better if you.
Speaker 3: Can talk about and tie it to outcomes. You know, we need to make sure that we can improve the consistency and the predictability and the reliability of the software, and so we yeah, we carve out a portion of our time to ensure that is happening right and over the past period of end months and years, we can show that these investments are paying off. And the times when we haven't because of whatever reason, you know, a race to push something, we tend to see these you know, negative outcomes. So like that can help, but it's it's tough to try to explain or you know, calculate an ROI for tech debt.
Speaker 2: That's not no, I mean I think a lot of us just included it as like a ten percent rate or something like that. You do want to knock it down, Oh, absolutely. Argument has always been if we don't do this eventually, we can't shift anything.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 2: We have to do an all tech at all tech debt sprints are multiple where if we just stay on top of it so that we're diminishing it, there's less of it than there was the next time. We're better off.
Speaker 3: Now keeping that you know goal of ten percent is or so it's great. It's really challenging when I chat with teams who they're booked up, their capacities one hundred percent, they're fully utilized, and then things start breaking. Yeah, and it's because and it's not that the developers ever, you know, don't want I mean, tech det isn't super fun, but they understand, you know, when codebase is it. When it's really hard to make a change, that's not fun, right, But it's hard to explain why the way a finger quilt, right, the way we've been working for the last and years isn't going to work anymore because we were basically sprinting and now we have to do things to harden our systems or make them more scalable or more reliable or easier to change and understand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a different cycle, yep. The difference between getting that initial version of the door improving initial value exactly what is sustainable value?
Speaker 3: Yeah, And you know, I'm going to pull us back to that AI thing. I think this is also where we're going to have some big questions come up because you know your point when it's just about getting the next version out of the door. Okay, right now, some companies are releasing new products or new significant features every month, right, So how can we be thinking about code hygiene and system automation and hygiene and improvement when we are constantly moving this fast?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, Well, and I would always look at the delta trajectories there it's like, are we still able to move every month? Or we shipping a little less each month? Like are we decaying or are we strengthening? Yeah? I picked that number ten percent a little bit arbitrary. Like what I'm really looking for is the total amount of tech debt less this sprint than last print. So if we're accumulating more from the new things we're shipping, we actually have to fix more too, yeap. Otherwise we're just delaying the inevitable.
Speaker 3: Now, I love that you pointed that out right, if we look at the things we're accumulating from shipping. One reason I'm super excited about how quickly we can develop things now is we can do a lot of experiments. So hopefully we are not in a world where every single thing we build gets shipped.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hopefully it should be way more comfortable thrown away code to it.
Speaker 3: At least fifty percent of the things that we try sure should fail, and it should be done so quickly that like the business doesn't really it's just almost consequence exactly. Yeah, because you know, definitely to your point, code that doesn't do much at least it doesn't hurt the system.
Speaker 2: Oh you have.
Speaker 3: Added to tech debt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you've loaded down. But I now feel like we're going to make more branches to do experimental coding these new tools and then make an assessment and go, okay, we've made a learning Now dump the branch. Let's try again with what we've now learned to see what we're going to make from the end YEP, and in relatively short periods of time we could spit a lot more code out. Now. The real question is isn't good yeah?
Speaker 3: Or you know, even if it's not the best design code, is that the functionality is that, the user flow is that the.
Speaker 2: Did we get it into thing that we want some kind of value? I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm just looking forward to things that I was never looking forward to. Right, merge conflicts, I think those will get easier to deal with having you know, an AI in visual studio for example. You know, just some of those things that that are cringe worthy, like oh, I don't want to go down that rabbit hole, but then you know, what do you got to lose? It's all about the prompt baby. Oh.
Speaker 3: I'll say, in some ways, I think technically get easier, but I think personally it will be challenging because right now merch conflicts is a person making. Now many times the system suggests the right answer. But what happens when we have many, many more merch conflicts to evaluate? And now you know the things I was talking about before? Did it come from an agent? Did it come from a person?
Speaker 2: I know you have that issue list clicking fire to copilot, which one of them spins up a branch to build that thing and sends you a pr and ten of them come to roost. I hope you get some time. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Now, I will say I keep identifying like open questions and hard problems. I hope people who maybe are less familiar with me and my work means that this is a lot of excitement. There are a lot of really cool things to figure out, and there are a lot of cool things that don't have established best practice. So for anyone who's in the field now, whether you're junior or a senior, there is so much to do. You're so much to do, and AI can't fix that, and they can't solve it because it's pretty good at responding to a prompt, it's not creative.
Speaker 1: But also these sort of meta prompts. You know, here's a big problem I want to solve. What are the steps? You don't have to do them for me, but what are the steps I need to go through in order to achieve this goal? You know, organizing your thoughts and breaking big problems down into smaller problems. It's really good for that. Oh, it's so good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And whether you use it all the way through, that's another thing. But at least getting started, things that seem insurmountable can be made easier. So what's next for you? What's in your inbod?
Speaker 2: When are we going to see this book?
Speaker 3: End of year?
Speaker 2: Hopefully? So right now I already came out.
Speaker 3: We're working on it, So continuing to work on the book, doing some really exciting work at Microsoft around AI and systems and how we can improve and you know, what that looks like. I still occasionally find some time to talk to folks across industry and I love to learn, you know, from them and their experiences. So yeah, still, you know, it feels like the earliest deep off days, where like we're kind of identifying and finding patterns and sharing best practices and you know, connecting dots and connecting teams. So it's super fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's alazing times. So good to talk to you again, and Bill, thanks, good to talk to you.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks for coming back, and we'll talk to you next time on dot net rocks. Dot net Rocks is brought to you by Franklin's Net and produced by Pop Studios, a full service audio, video and post production facility located physically in New London, Connecticut, and of course in the cloud online at pwop dot com. Visit our website at d O T N E t R O c k S dot com for RSS feeds, downloads, mobile apps, comments, and access to the full archives going back to show number one, recorded in September two thousand and two. And make sure you check out our sponsors. They keep us in business. Now go write some code. See you next time you got jack middle vans
Speaker 3: And