Speaker 1: Drivers know what trouble sounds like.
Speaker 2: No, no, okay forward, oh no, no, please.
Speaker 1: No, That's why they get covered from Ireland's soundest car insurance provider, Supervalue Insurance.
Speaker 3: Thanks for calling us in and don't beat yourself up about it. Sure, I'm driving ten years and parallel parking still battles me.
Speaker 1: Get a code from Supervalue Car Insurance to get ten percent off online and we'll even throw in forty euroin vouchers TEASNCS apply. Vouchers include two twenty euro or forty eurospent. This car insurance is underwritten by AX Insurance, DEACK, super Value Financial SERVICESTACK Trading and Supervalue Insurance is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland.
Speaker 4: Do you know what real power is? It's knowing you're on the same rate for energy all day, every day with a smart all day plan from board Gosh Energy, save up to eight hundred and eighty euro on dual fuel plus get a two hundred and thirty five euro welcome bonus switch today at Boardgosh Energy dot Ie Board Gosh Energy.
Speaker 5: No, your estimation on youl bill of twenty six and twenty nine your new customer zone thirs percentis Gantov Smart all day electricity unit rates in twenty nine percent of GASSI unitrates and Sea Porcash Energy dott you for full teas and cs.
Speaker 6: Oh hey, it's that diner that has bad coffee but makes up for it by offering an English muffin as a toast option. Ali warred back with another episode of Ologies. Oh here we are, We are here. It is March twenty twenty, and it's a wacky time. This is a wacky time, but let's keep on keeping on, including asking some smart people some really stupid questions about stuff that matters a lot to us. Okay, this one, woo, it's a two for. Only once before in the history of ologies have I sat down with two doctors at once, partly because it's a nightmare to edit, but it's worth it. And this one it's a real triple a all about animals. So if you've ever petted a dog in the head, or if you've ever fawned over a bunny or respectfully admired a llama from Afar.
Speaker 7: Get ready.
Speaker 6: Also, I hope you listened to last week's episod on virology to help you kind of wrap your head around why so many people on planet Earth are in pajamas on Wednesday afternoons. We're doing it, and we're doing it together by being a part Now. If you need more entertainment while you're isolating, you can always enjoy my new Netflix show one hundred Humans.
Speaker 7: It's weird.
Speaker 6: Social science looks at what makes us tick and it may just scratch your itch for being around other people and speaking to people. Before we get started, a quick thanks to everyone out there making ologies happen via patreon dot com slash ologies. It's a dollar a month to join, and you get some extras, including submitting questions to ologists for everyone who puts merch on your bodies by going to ologiesmerch dot com. And thank you for writing and subscribing and reviewing that keeps the show up in the science charts and for telling friends that honestly help so much.
Speaker 7: And I read all your reviews.
Speaker 6: Sometimes they make me cry on the tarmac before a plane takes off, such as this one from n Jack Danger, who says a lot of podcasts are popcorn for the mind. Each episode is pretty much the same. You know the taste, it's good but not really feeling. Ologies is trail mixed for the mind. There are always different flavors, some you've ever tried before. Plus it's a little salt here that you might expect. Ologies satisfies, Sleepy John, Thank you, Sleepy John. I'm glad that you're awake to listen to this. Okay, veterinary biology, let's get into it. So veterinary comes from a Latin word meaning a cow or an ox, and biology is the study of life. So veterinary biology is the medical study of kept animals. I have wanted to do this episode for so long, since so many ologists originally set their sights on a career in VetMed and that is an insider term.
Speaker 7: It means veterinary.
Speaker 6: Medicine, and so it's super tough field. And I was so excited to hear that two of the greats were in Los Angeles for just a few days. They were willing to let me pepper them with questions, so I drove across town to Beverly Hills in traffic.
Speaker 7: It was worth it.
Speaker 6: They were posted up at the Swanky as Hell for seasons while on a press tour for their brand new national geographic series Critter Fixers Country Vets. Put it in your DVRs. Watch it it's amazing. They were both in suits. They were looking quite sharp at the end of a long press day, bringing a porcupine and an armadillo on entertainment tonight. But they squeezed me in and we settled onto a couch and some chairs, and I shoved my mics in their faces and now audio note. My audio was being captured by a separate mic that I never use, and it turns out it was not ideal. So Jarrett and Stephen worked a ton behind the scenes this week to help fix it.
Speaker 7: It might be a little different than.
Speaker 6: You're used to if this is your very first Ologies episode you've ever listened to, I promise audio quality is usually top notch.
Speaker 7: I normally don't record to people at once, and myself little bit.
Speaker 6: Of a tech diff but this episode is one hundred percent worth it because of bothologists, and they were kind enough to tell me about their friendship and their life in Central Georgia, dealing with all manner of animals, their vet practice, how they learn and retain so much about so many species. Things they wish all animal owners knew. Weird things animals have eaten, hairballs, kidney issues, grain free diets, chunky monkeys, How to keep your pets healthy for as long as possible, when to let go, the emotional side of veterinary medicine, some awesome advice for me personally, plus livestock mysteries and more. So scrub in and get ready to fawn over two real life critter fixers and veterinary biologists, doctor Vernard Hodges and doctor Terrence Ferguson.
Speaker 8: Hodges, Terrence Ferguson. Yes, yes, doctor Vernon Hodges.
Speaker 9: And doctor Terrence Ferguson.
Speaker 7: How long have they been doctors?
Speaker 8: So I have been in doctor for a grand total of so I've been a doctor much longer. So I've been about for twenty three years.
Speaker 9: And I've been a doctor for twenty two years.
Speaker 7: Oh god, so one of your pro yes, yes, exactly. Do you know each other going through bad school? How did you meet?
Speaker 8: So we met in college.
Speaker 10: Yeah, we met in undergrad So we've known each other almost thirty years now, give or take a year. Yeah, And I was a veterinari science major and he was a biology major. But I took classes in biologies, so that's how he and I met in classes there.
Speaker 8: Unfortunately, he became a friend because he was a lot smarter than me, and he's a goodie two shoes.
Speaker 7: And yeah, right, so you've been practicing doctors for twenty too, we'll say twenty two and a half years.
Speaker 6: Sure to average it here, Sure, and how long have you been working together as you do?
Speaker 9: Oh? For the for my entire twenty two years? Yeah, we've been working together.
Speaker 8: Everything year.
Speaker 10: Yeah, he graduated a year ahead of me. He worked at a local venair hospital. When I graduated, I worked at the same home hospital. So we worked together a year at another van near hospital. After a year, we decided it we want to open our own practice right, amazing for sure.
Speaker 6: And by the way, doctor Ernard Hodges has an edgy, hip asymmetrical haircut. It's almost like a half mohawk. And he's wearing a dark button up shirt and a blue sport coote. And doctor Ferguson has a lower voice, and he's wearing a T shirt with the red Critter Fixer logo underneath a plaid gray blazer and his head is neatly shaved to a perfect shine. Now. They both grew up in Georgia, got their bachelors from Fort Valley State University and their doctorates and veterinary medicine from Tuskegee University in Alabama. Their Southern accents amazing. They worked elsewhere for about a year before they teamed up and started Critter Fixers, their own practice together in rural Central Georgia, south of Atlanta. But like we hear from a lot of ologists, sometimes the path is linear, sometimes it has a few twists. What was it about animals or about veterinary science that you love what you individually to this path?
Speaker 8: So I'm a big fish guy. I've always liked fish. I don't know, I just always had a fascination with fish, you know, I tease them all the time. I wanted to be the first, like black Jock Cousto. I wanted to be like this fish guy.
Speaker 9: I love fish.
Speaker 8: I was one of these people that learned by doing My grades were okay to make myself competitive with vendoring school. I ended up working for the Agency for International Development, and what we did was develop a fish project. So at nineteen I went over to Nepal and we raised fishing cages because they were looking for a cheap protein source. So what we did was carpeat fighter plane, so we kind of would put the cages at different depths see where the fighter plant then grows, and kind of we were able to tell them when to put out, where to put the cage, especially during months, soon times and everything. So when I got to, you know, to the vendor school, when I was thinking I could do fish and do these different things. My grades were okay, but nobody, you know, all the people with age couldn't say that help feed the village in the Paul. So that's how, you know, I've always loved animals, so.
Speaker 6: Other people may have had higher grades, but doctor Hodges had life experience and hands on fish science. So went in doubt, GTFO go work in the Paul for a while.
Speaker 8: And that's that's kind of what what helped kind of moved being you know, been ven there in president Now we treat fish, you'll see fish on the show. We treat all variety of animals. So that's how I got involved.
Speaker 7: What about doctor Ferguson, I've.
Speaker 10: Wanted to be a vendorian for a long time, since I was probably eight years old. I was bidden by the veterinary bug. Got a dog that was injured and I nursed it back to health. So I thought, looking back, it really wasn't hurt very bad, but I thought I did something miraculous, and here I am. I want to be a animal doctor and I've always wanted to be one.
Speaker 9: It's fun.
Speaker 10: I tell people that, you know, a lot of time we talk about what we want to be when we're older, and but I can say that I want to be and you can look in the yearbook in the hands better know my name. So I'm kind of proud of that though, you know, and God just blessed me to become. But it did come a point, Like you said, he did summer jobs, and I did a couple of summers also with the US Fishing Wildlife Service and had an opportunity working in Alaska one summer with Simon and Whooping Crane. But I reached a point where I became unsure. As you know that the professional of vendair medicine is not very diverse. And it was until I was a junior in college that I saw the first black veterinarian or a veterinarian that looked like me. So it was a point that I felt like, can I do this? I don't see anybody that looks like me and that's doing it, and I almost veered over to fishing wildlife because I had we did it in the summer. I saw people look like me, and I knew that was something I could do. But I met a mentor when I was a junior in college. Then he was a black veterinarian and then encouraged me to stay on path, as that's what you want to do.
Speaker 6: Wow, And do you think that you guys also to keep encouraging each other, because.
Speaker 8: Every day, every day, I mean in this profession, I mean people kind of don't understand. Sometimes people think maybe we just play with puppies, you know, and which we do. I mean, that's a great part of it. But I mean in a matter of seconds, we can go from unfortunately, have to euthanize an animal relief suffering that's maybe fifteen years old. Leave, leave that room, wipe the tear out of eyes, and a minute later we're in another room with a new puppy and have to talk to the owner about different things and how to raise his puppet. So the emotions are up and down, and sometimes at the end of the day, I mean, it pays when you emotion, especially if you do that four or five times in a day, you know, the roller coasters tough, So it's great to be able to talk to each other and say, hey, man, it's gonna be all right, Like man, I had a rough day, or he tells me has a rough day, and they'll know you won't be judged because this when you're framed for thirty plus years.
Speaker 6: So doctor Ferguson makes the point that even though it's been his dream job for years, it does not mean that it is a breeze who knew, you know.
Speaker 10: Being a veninarian, we see multiple species, so you do. I may you know, I may get an animal land that you know, we've only seen one animal that year, that it may be a monkey, or it may be something that's very strange or rare, and I may have to give him a call and like, hey god, he do man, I have this monkey and yeah, you know, I'm looking through the books and I don't see it.
Speaker 9: What do you think?
Speaker 10: So it's great having him to be able to bounce things off of because it's just like you said, he understands because he's in the same shoes that I'm in. So it's great having each other. We definitely, I know, I definitely wouldn't be where I am if I'm saying.
Speaker 8: But we also have also have a very playful competition too. Will be like, hey dude, hey man, I want up you. I mean we literally said I want up you today, Like what you got? I was like, man, I had an African told today. I was like, man, it's they weighed three pounds. Or he'll call me in he have some case. You're like, man, I had a snake with pneumonia. So we we definitely have a playful competition of stuff.
Speaker 6: We say, when it comes to betary medicine, how do you even prepare for that? Because you've got a remnant with four stomachs, You've got to toe the bracelet skin? How do you where do you begin?
Speaker 9: Cool?
Speaker 10: You know a lot of people wonder you know. You get out and you may practice large aneral medicine, or you may practice small animal medicine, or you may practice exotics. We kind of do all of them. But when you're in veterinary school, you don't specialize. So we have to learn about all the species. And when you you know, once we come out, you know you kind of refine in your skills. Are there times when you have to go back to the book orcuse one. Of course there are you know, there are a lot of species and you don't see.
Speaker 9: Them every day.
Speaker 6: Doctor Hodges says that in the early days they'd have to do dip tank X rays, wait for them to develop, and then send a snail mail envelope with a question to a specialist, way for it to get there, way for the special to write something back, and snail mail back. But now modern technology lets them get an X ray in less than a minute, and they can get a complete pathology or cardiology report from a specialist in like half an hour. So this is good news for vets. It's better news for pet owners, which, by the way, in America, according to a twenty nineteen study, there are ninety four million pet cats in the US, ninety million dogs, and hey guess what fish people one hundred and fifty seven million fishes out there in your houses. So yes, technology helps them too.
Speaker 8: Even though we're in rural Georgia, we do have the specialists that we can reach out to. The in modern technology has definitely definitely had his play, I would say, in our lifetime, right, which I mean, don't you think we probably can keep an animal probably alive maybe two four years longer.
Speaker 10: Yeah, because of advancement, we can detect things a lot earlier. We have chemistry panels of blood. We can run down to take kidney problem a year or so before it happens that at one time we only or when the animal came in it was sick, we ran blood, had kidney.
Speaker 8: Failure and we had seen that blood off.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and we had to wait. So but then we know two thirds of all kidney function is lost once we see the values are abnormal. So now we have tests that we can detect that we can do something to kind of slow that process down.
Speaker 8: Or the old dog that had arthritis, I mean we really we had no medicine, but now you know what they came up with, remadale, and so they come up with different medicines that the old dog that was arthritic that we're able to treat now. So something I'll tell you I thought about this the other day. Have you noticed we're having more talks about cognitive dysfunction, which is doggy similarity and all. So we're able to keep them, keep them live longer, but unfortunately we haven't figured out as far as the brain. They do get seen now, so we get the dog that is staring at the wall or goes outside and forgets where it is. So we have that talk a lot more so it's kind of the gift and the curse of technology because I noticed I was like, Man, I'm having us talk a lot, but I'm able to keep that dog that has a heart problem. We can keep them alive or ourthrietis who can keep them alive longer? Or kidding the problem. We can keep them alive, but we just hadn't figured out to bring it.
Speaker 6: And when it comes to your typical day, I know that you're sometimes maybe you're out looking at a lama and we hate a barn, and then maybe you're delivering puppies, get in the office. What is a typical day like? And then also add cameras on top.
Speaker 10: Of that, there really is no typical day. And I'm not being being facetious. But then again, they's serious because we will make scheduled out calls, but you never know what you're going to see when you go out, and you never know what's going to come through the door that's not scheduled. We try to do our surgers in the morning, want their schedule, try to get them in the morning because we're black for them to be done about ten and taken care of so that they're able to be up and go home that same day, depending on the procedure. And then in between surgers and the rest of the day, we're seeing clients and we may we don't. You just never know what about the sea section. It comes in in between, right. You know, I may be in surgery during a cruciate surgery that you know it may take a while to do, and he calls and hollers in and look room right because he has a sea section.
Speaker 8: That actually happened on the show. I mean it was not. It was like he was in teaching one of our our our newer events how to perform with orthopedic surgery, and I was like, bro, I need that surgery room. He thought I was playing.
Speaker 10: Yeah, initially I did. Here, you know, we joke all out, but you know, on the second time around, I know when he was.
Speaker 8: Serious, and it was a puppet dangling out of this dog that was stuck.
Speaker 10: So it's time to get real, get serious, you know, get the other dog at the table so we can get this sea section taken care of. It becomes just like that a life and death situation.
Speaker 9: That's the same. We just you just don't know what's coming in the door.
Speaker 8: And it's definitely a roller coaster.
Speaker 6: What do you wish that pet owners or your clients did differently or knew? Is there something that you wish you could just telegraph it into pet owners heads.
Speaker 8: In society today, it's bigger the better, the more exotic or unique the better, and everybody want to go big or go home and this thing. But a lot of times the simple things like these these exotic pets. Is a tiger in the bathroom. I really wish they were educated on how to take care of them. You know, I had a case last week. It's a simple case. This this bead dragon, which is a type of lizar. It had. It came in and I took X rays that had brittle bones. It wouldn't move. It was dragging itself across the floor. In needs calcium and needs all of it in UV light or either sunlight. You know, obviously you can't stay outside with your lips at all the time, so you need some UV. Like you try not to make the person feel bad, but I was talking to her, I was like, you know, this is what's going on? And it was something simple. I was like, I want you to google something. I said, just google ultrabile light and metabolic bone disease. And when I you know, I said, I'm gonna take an xtra. When I came back in, she said, wow, Doc, thank you, she said, I see what's going on. It's simple. Those a simple thing, something a twenty dollar alike could have prevented us. You know. So it's just I wish and everybody wants to get more and more exotic. I mean, we're seeing all kinds of different different animals, you know, and so I just wish that people could were educated more, you know, it's not just the financial thing.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and that's a big thing, educating the clients. And it's not always that they can't do. They just don't know a lot of issue with these exotics or husbandry issues, whether it's the type of feed or what they're feeding, the humidity or the temperature that they are, what they're feeding, what they're you know, things like that that cause a lot of issues. So just basic education on how to take care of them would go mind own.
Speaker 8: So that would probably be the biggest thing because it with advance you know, everybody wants to have this cute, little different animal, but they just don't know how to take care of it. So I wish, you know, I mean, I mean, I want everybody to be happy and enjoy enjoy their pet. But you know, I mean something simple. I know, we have Easter coming up, so I am worried about these Easter bunnies because people, you know what they think, Okay, you just put it in a cage. You don't feed it, Hay, you don't have to worry about their teeth growing for the life so that they don't understand the hoods, but just the small things, you know, so ordered to chick they get these little chickens. They get little chicks for East. I mean, it's just those kind of things. I just wish the population was educated a little bit more.
Speaker 6: Rabbits are fluffy and soft, they're easily litter box trained, but they lived ten to twelve years. Most people don't know that, and so most of these little buns, ninety five percent of them bought as impulse easter gifts, end up in shelters or abandoned outside. Eighty percent of bunnies and rabbit rescues were once Easter pets. Sometimes they're rescued heavy air quotes, but used as food for reptiles.
Speaker 7: So before you acquire.
Speaker 6: A living creature, consider if you can meet its needs. Are you saying I shouldn't I shouldn't have bought a sting ray that I live my bath job?
Speaker 8: Oh that might not be the grades in the world.
Speaker 7: Such a good dinner party, for sure?
Speaker 8: Wow, for sure?
Speaker 7: Just wanted something different.
Speaker 6: What about you know, on the road to becoming a veterinarian, what do you wish people knew or what is like some encouragement that you would want to like give to your younger self.
Speaker 7: Or people who are like I want to be a vet but it's hard.
Speaker 8: So the first thing I like people to know is and this is not to discourage, but I want them to realize when I tell the kids, there are only thirty one veneering schools in the United States. Really, yes, only thirty one. Okay, So the average GPA to get into veneering school now is about three point seven.
Speaker 7: That's very high.
Speaker 8: That is very high. So not only that, there are a lot of people with high great So you have to find that thing that makes you different. Separation, you know, go to go to your local vene and ask them, can you volunteer and or go to your local shelter. Fign that thing that makes you different. But yeah, that's one thing I want people to see. I know we have fifty states. They're not even fifty, right, Yeah, they're only third to one.
Speaker 10: And I guess on that same line of trying to separate yourself, I find a lot of time because I saw it when I was in veterinary school that some want to be veterinarians and they see it looks very glorified from the outside. Like you said earlier, you get to hold the babies. You know, you get the cuddle, but you know, dogs go to the bathroom, they irate on you, They bite you, cat scratch you, horses can kick you. So what I encourage them at a young age is to come in, shadow me, shadow one of the veterinarians. Let's make sure this is what your passion is and what you love, because they can look glorified on the outside, but when you get on the inside, it maybe something that you don't like. And the last thing that I want them not to do is invest all their time and energy and money into something. Then they decide I'm in the first year of Venair school. Man, I don't think I really like this, so I want them to know it early. This is what I want to do. I have a passion for this. I'm on track on what i want to do.
Speaker 6: So to be honest, this is good advice for any profession really, except for podcasters, because no one wants to shadow me recording asides into a pile of towels in my closet, which I'm not even doing right now because honestly, we're all isolating and I'm just beached on the couch like job of the ward under a comforter, which is not as exciting as some of the things that the critter fixers have seen. Doctor Hodges says when he was in vet school that had a call and had to go out into the field, into an actual field.
Speaker 8: So ambulance in an ambulance, you you know, I'm going to go out and get people. In vendoring school had some called ambulatory and we're I was in ambilatory class. I was a senior vendoring student and we went out and it was about seven of us in a Venoring truck. So I went out to this big farm and when we got to the farm. You know what you expect. You expect to see lives stalking, different things. Right, But when we got this farm, there are like fifty dead cows, bloated, smelly in the Alabama sun. It was both went to Tuskegee and the first thing he said was what's going on. Well, obviously we our mouths were wide open, like I don't know. So you know, we haven't learning all kinds of stuff over the previous three years. So we said, well, maybe this and this. When we were all wrong, he said, look, get out there and do something called the ne crops. And necrops is when you check with animals autopsy as with humans. So we did necropsy and all these bloated, smelly, stinky cows, and he said, what's wrong? And all of our answers were wrong. He said, listen, and it's one thing we learned. He said, listen. The first thing you gotta come to do in a farm is you gotta look. You gotta listen. You gotta look at your surroundings. He said, Listen, it's been thunder and lightning every day. Look at the top of this tree. It's burned to a cris He said, in struct the tree boom. All the cows who were gathered around the lightning, they're e executed, they died, what right, So you should simply look, you should learn and and I never took that for granted. So when I see a case sometimes it isn't what it looks like. You gotta look, you gotta observe, you gotta smell, you gotta know it. So just always stop looking, listen. That's one of the things you learn to vent there in medicine. I'll never forget that as a senior Vendory student.
Speaker 10: Well, when I talk to kids, I always tell them that you have to use your senses except one. We don't taste, but we have to visually.
Speaker 8: It has times well unfortunately unfortunately not knowing.
Speaker 10: So you know, even when you approach the animal, or if we're in the clinic and it walks in the door, it may not even be coming in a room yet, but you're already getting a visual. And one thing that we always learned, probably the first walked in ventary school is you have to know normal before you before you know abnormal. There's no way to know what's abnormal unless you know what's normal. Yeah, so you know you're watching the gate you smell, what does this smell? There are different things that clue in, so almost like investigators, you know, we're trying to clue in on all these things to try to figure out what's going with them.
Speaker 9: And but you have to be basic and work your way up.
Speaker 10: You never start with you know, you have this big loan word because you want to be the ven there and that says, yes, I had the dog that the had spiral.
Speaker 8: Trick, and maybe the best show might be Medlock.
Speaker 9: Are they any lawyers in this town.
Speaker 8: That might be? Because you got to be investigat.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 8: Some things that they showed that that maybe best described what we do.
Speaker 7: Can I ask you questions from listeners?
Speaker 8: You're gonna ask watch out.
Speaker 6: So I let listeners know that I was coming to me and they send in their own questions. Okay, but before your questions, we're going to take a quick break. As you may know, each episode we donate to a cause of the ologists choosing, and this week the Critter Fixers chose the It takes a village foundation which instructs children in all aspects of business and then it helps them come up with ideas for their own business. They provide also assistance to local adults. They conduct community business outreach and they are bookmarking this donation to go to testing and test prep to help kids, so you can learn more about what they do at It Takes a Village Foundation dot com, which side note was founded by doctor Hodges and the VP is doctor Ferguson, so that donation was made possible by some of the sponsors of the show, which you may hear about now.
Speaker 1: Drivers know what trouble sounds like?
Speaker 2: No, no, okay, forward, oh no, oh.
Speaker 1: Please no, that's why they get cover from Ireland's soundest car insurance provider, Supervalue Insurance.
Speaker 3: Thanks for calling us fin and don't beat yourself up about it. I'm driving ten years and power the parking still a bat.
Speaker 1: Wasn't me get a quote from Supervalue Car Insurance to get ten percent off online and we'll even throw in forty euro in vouchers TEASNC supply vouchers include two twenty euro or forty euro spent. This car insurance is underwritten by ACTS Insurance, STACKED, Super Value Financial Services, Stack Trading and Supervalue Insurance is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland.
Speaker 6: Okay, back to your questions. Now, this first one regarding just general weirdness, was asked by Gabriel jolan Ford, Gonzalez, Unuseful Spoon, Ariel PJ Sakura, Jennie Martin, Courtney Williams and hr Bongo.
Speaker 7: Wants to know what is the weirdest animal you've ever treated?
Speaker 8: Probably for me, I would think a spider. A spider, Yes, weitness this tarantulas got brought in and it wasn't eating like he thought. That probably was different. I did have to kind of research and think about that a little bit. I mean, had these these big spiders. I don't know if it made the show. I know they did tape it, but I don't know if it made the show, but it will get in the web. And it was kind of standing in the corner with either. But the biggest thing is this cage was a little small, so it didn't need to eat as much, so it was more of a hust majury. It's actually once I got it out, which was weird. This thing was as big as my palm in my hand, so you know, and it actually kind of shot me and when it bince it's almost like a yes, almost like an electrical shot. It's not terribly that but that was probably the weirdest. I was wondering why when somebody want a spider, but it was interesting. I think that was probably the weirdest. But the biggest thing is just knowing about what these animals need in captivity. A captive spider obviously wouldn't need to eat as much as a spider that kind of lives in the desert or do everything. So that was pretty weird.
Speaker 10: I guess the weirdest. I don't have a spider, but I think because we're in Georgia, whether it's rural Georgia or Atlanta doesn't matter. I think the camel. The camel was probably the most out of place.
Speaker 7: What was it doing there?
Speaker 10: Well, there was a camel that they used in the Nativity scenes and it's in the show also, and it's hard to say it was.
Speaker 8: It was getting a little frisks amazing.
Speaker 10: So we had to go. We had to go and remove hump to try to make it. I think it did better.
Speaker 8: This year Nativity.
Speaker 9: They were little calmer this year.
Speaker 6: The kids weren't weren't a surprise, wasn't wasn't swiping on tenders exactly. Katy Coast wants to know if you could read animals' minds, would you want to?
Speaker 10: Oh, yeah, most definitely, Yeah, yeah, that would be Yeah, it would make our job a lot easier. You know, we knew exactly what was wrong when they came in. I always asked the students when I go do career day, I asked them to tell me what is the difference between you and I when we go to the doctor and when the pets come to me? And they always overthinking it, they think of everything. I said, no, it's just as simple. The animals can't talk, you know. So you know, if I stood them on the table and I said, you know, open mind and what's wrong, I may get a bark or meow or a kick even but I'm not going to get the answer. So of course we would exactly.
Speaker 8: That would definitely answer because you know, it would save me some time. I wouldn't have to go do an endoscopic exam. That's where we go down in the stomach, and you know, the dog would be able to tell me when I see a thing because you can see clearly in there. So I'm in the stomach and I read P A M P E R pamper, so the dog is eating the diaper. So fortunately I was able to pull that out. But but so he could have saved me a little bit of time.
Speaker 7: So did you see that recent internet video of the python?
Speaker 8: Yes, we did, Yes, Yes, that was a different for watching.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, this n I'm sure with somewhat relieved. Is that the weirdest thing that you've seen a pet eat as a pamper. Can't find car keys in there?
Speaker 10: The car keys in an all you know, years ago with the telephone course that were that were twisted, we didn't know what it was. We took an X ray that was back in the day when we had the dip tanks and took forever to develop X rays. So we look at this video, we look at this X rays and we just see a coil that's you know, not very long. We're all looking like, what is that?
Speaker 8: Spiral keeps exactly what is that?
Speaker 10: So we end up having to do it exploratory and that's what it was. But the funniest thing so after doing this, doing the surgery, the owner said, yeah, I know where that is. I'm going to put all this stuff away. We're going to get rid of it. Cat came in two more times over the next few years with the cord doing the same thing.
Speaker 8: Got to get a cordless yeah, thank god.
Speaker 10: Now, but back then, you know, they had the quarters, so I think that was. Yeah, well that's your age, remember, Yeah, yeah, that was.
Speaker 9: And we always see coins, you know.
Speaker 8: So that the weirdest thing I've seen is the actually the chocolate coins, that the gold chocolate coins. They're coming a little mess back and I couldn't figure out what was going on, and this dog ate them hold them.
Speaker 7: Oh no, So I couldn't figure it out.
Speaker 8: So I literally took out I think I counted twenty six twenty six of those gold and the chocolate was still good. So the rappit bus were good because they didn't they didn't really melt. But that was probably the weirdest thing to just kind of keep pulling these coins out.
Speaker 7: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 6: Sarah Travino, first time question asker wants to know a very important question. Do dogs love us as much as we love them? And do they know how much we love them?
Speaker 7: Do you think?
Speaker 8: I don't know if they know. In ventoring school we used to talk about the human animal bond, and I definitely can see it. I think my dog loves me as much as I think. So, I mean, I love my dog whole I love yeah.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean you just think, when you go to work, you can have a great day or you can have a horrible day. When you get home, it doesn't matter. Every going to be greeted the same way with excitement, with love. I don't know the level, but I definitely know they know that we love them and it's unconditional both ways.
Speaker 8: Can I like them move? One hundred first dates?
Speaker 9: Yo, sweety year sort of dating and I am not bad lucky?
Speaker 8: Yeah, every time every time it's they love you like one hundred for no matter. It's the first day, every time we come home. That's it, every time you come home.
Speaker 6: Rachel Wece wants to know why do dogs like to eat grass where they have upset bellies or is.
Speaker 10: That a nest you know we used to be you know, they have tummy eggs or they have this. But I've seen dogs that just.
Speaker 8: Like, just like, okay a lot of times in the while. A lot of these guys eat a lot of berries and grass and and different things. So I think it's just a palliative to them.
Speaker 7: So interesting. Yeah, whenever I see my dog snacking on grass. I'm like, do I have to call it? Everyone's like.
Speaker 6: And most casey wants to know what is the number one thing we can do to protect the health and well being of wild critters?
Speaker 7: And Brionna Maziski says this, Yes, yeah, anything we can do for wild critters.
Speaker 8: I think the environment and protect the environment.
Speaker 10: Protect the environment. Conservation, Yeah, things like the US Fish and Wildlife organization like that do to try to conserve different species. So those are the most important thing. I think a lot of times we can get in trouble too by trying to domesticate everything. And I think we get in trouble then because we kind of mess up the natural balance of things.
Speaker 8: So like a Florida alligator.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, did someone try to domesticated Florida alligators?
Speaker 8: Why? They do it all the time?
Speaker 7: Okay?
Speaker 6: Side note, just google Florida plus pet alligators.
Speaker 7: Hoo boy.
Speaker 6: Plenty of Fox News clips of people cradling giant reptiles pop up now. In the following news clip, a man in cargo shorts is crouched down next to a murky backyard ditch as the head of his forty seven year old pet alligator Bob's in and out of the water, serenely, just waiting to be hand fed more more souls of its favorite snack, chocolate chip cookies.
Speaker 7: Once he was in the house, he didn't want to leave.
Speaker 3: I think it took us like three weeks to get him to go back outside.
Speaker 8: He was on the couch all the time, or in the bathtub.
Speaker 6: I did a little more googling and heads up. When they're not eating chips away, A lot of pet alligators are how do we say this, rescuing other people's unwanted Easter purchases. So that's bad news.
Speaker 8: I mean, yeah, all the time.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they're doing it for the gram.
Speaker 8: Yeah, doing it for the ground for sure.
Speaker 7: Not necessary.
Speaker 6: Veronica Ronica says cat hairballs, Oh my god, they're so gross. Is there anything I can do or give the fur babies to prevent it or lessen the amount that they hack up?
Speaker 7: Did I mention so gross?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 10: There are different products that we have. Cats are naturally groomers, so they naturally lick themselves and groom themselves. And basically when you see the cat that is ungroomed or not thrifty looking, probably see kitty. So they have mats or hair on that some of them get. Some get so large and heavy they can't groom themselves. But normally they groom themselves and they're gonna ingest hair. So they have products that you can give different laxatives and lubricants that you can give maybe a couple of times a week that will help clear them out and they pass them out in the stewl rather than having so many hairballs.
Speaker 8: And what are those products?
Speaker 9: But lexiitone purge, I didn't know what was gonna call products.
Speaker 8: We gotta give her something else and then we'll tell her. I will say to her personally, be thankful because I'm gonna give her a fancy word, and she welcome to google this. It's called a troco breezer. Yes, that is a big, big hair ball. Oftentimes we see that in cows. Cows, I mean sometimes these things can be big as basketballs because they licking themselves. So tell us, yeah, so tell us. So she's very fortunate that she don't have a cow? Does she does? She got a trocle beezo?
Speaker 6: Wow wow, okay, wow, I know we're all socially isolating. We got some time on our hands, but do not google image search a trichobezar unless you want to see what appears to be stomach shaped dreadlocks still moist from their fresh removal from human insights. Now, the condition that causes hair eating and humans has been dubbed Rapunzel syndrome for the long tail that the hairball trails behind it. I like to imagine it does so elegantly, but it's a real thing. I can't imagine it's comfortable. Boy, howdy, don't look at it if you can help it. Now, as long as we're talking horrors, let's dip into your questions about American health insurance, but for pets. So this question was asked by Kate Cauldron, Sarah hal Miller, and Heather Shaver. Heather Shaver has a question financially and in your opinion, how much is too much to spend on a pets that bill, like, how do you make the decisions taking into economics and the animal suffering and is it good to.
Speaker 7: Have pet health insurance? How do you guys feel about that?
Speaker 8: My thought when it comes to that is definitely if you can start out. Pederal health insurances has definitely evolved over the over time. They has evolved over the years, and they know we have it in that practice quite a bit now and they usually payper to Wilson. But you can't have any pre existing things. But this is the thing I always ask, what will be the quality of life? Quality of life is everything? I mean, you know, before you get the finance. I have people who come in and they have unlimited funds and they're willing to do anything. But I talk to them at least give them the option. I never tell them what to do, but I explain the quality of life and what will be the quality of life if they choose a procedure, if they choose not the procedure, if we keep moving on it something you can ask you're vent there. It's a tough decision. What do you think my dog's possible quality life or my cat's quality life? But that's where I would start the actual talk and you can kind of go from there. So quality of life is that would be the best message I can give people.
Speaker 9: Think so on that.
Speaker 10: Yeah, that's what I would say. You know, you can have unlimited funds and quality life is not going to be good. Afterwords, that's not being fair to your baby. I always say, you know, they've given us so much unconditional love. They've been so fair to us, so we want to be fair when that time comes. And sometimes it's hard to see it it is, you know. So I know what I've done is I have a sheet that numerically has questions and you have to give an answer from zero to ten, and it has at the end we add those those the numbers up and if we're lower than the number, then we probably at the point that we're suffering. So we may need to consider making a decision. And if it's higher than that, then we're doing fine. But a lot of times just visually having the client to be able to see it helps a lot because I've been there, because I've had Amazon. I know I don't want to do it. It's not time, but I'm being unfair. I tell them, let's not be selfish. Let's give them the joy that they've given us all these years.
Speaker 7: And to you guys, both have pets.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, yeah, of course you have.
Speaker 8: So I have a German shepherd, a cane Corso.
Speaker 6: Okay, I looked this up because I thought of Corso was maybe a type of wizard or a house leamer. But it's a big ass Italian dog and it looks like it would kill anyone who wronged you, but also hug you when you're sad, much like any Italian. I now love them.
Speaker 8: Oh, Frenchie, who's who sleeps on my hip every night? I have Jamison who is a gecko, and I have Drake, who is a beardy drag.
Speaker 7: Oh so you do have a beery drag?
Speaker 10: Oh yeah, yes, so I have a cane corso miniature smiles or shiit Zoo and a bearded dragon who's Rix. We call him Rix.
Speaker 7: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 6: Do people ever come to you and and pat Neyed's a home and you're like.
Speaker 8: Should sometimes, but typically we try to. We try to be almost like the tender of vi near medicine. We try to match me. We're like, all right, we're gonna swipe you to the left. I know somebody who need it, so so that's kind of amazing.
Speaker 7: Okay.
Speaker 6: Jamie Pickles wants to know how often are you called on to answer human medical questions? Like you're a doctor, could you look at my rash.
Speaker 8: Every time I go to the groceryore?
Speaker 7: How annoyed are you by this?
Speaker 9: They want to know it definitely happens.
Speaker 8: Yeah, my boy, you know I got a ring worm, and I'll be like, ma'am, that's can you look under don't worry about this. You can see I said, man, that's a little too much skin. I don't want to see that. Is this a ring worm? Can you get closer? But yeah, often when we do, you know, sometimes I can. I try to steer people in the right direction, you know, because sometimes they're scared. I mean they're like, look, this is what's going on? Or the more common questions I'll never forget in parasitology class, and I'm glad we were talking. It's a lie. Oh but everybody has their own life. Okay, so humans, there's cats, all there is, so everybody got this. So typically when people are like, you know, we'll get the physicians or somebody come and say, my dog gave me this life was like, nah, you didn't get that from the adult.
Speaker 10: Yeah, but they can get Speaking of parasites, mange which is a external parasite. And you know the funny things we talked about scabies. Yeah, so the dog comes in and has no hair and scabies and you're looking at say have you been itching? And the funny thing one lady, you know, she grabs a shirt and.
Speaker 9: She snatched up ye.
Speaker 8: I'm like, is that what you read? Spots?
Speaker 9: So I'm like, man, please, I'm like.
Speaker 8: You know, you're like, you're not going to get exactly.
Speaker 10: I just asked a question, you know, do you have I don't need to see them. If you do, you need to go see your dog.
Speaker 8: You have to answer that yes, every time we go to the gross stuff.
Speaker 6: Also, I was like, you can get scabies from a pet. Okay, so human scabies and cat and dog scabies, they're all different species. But you can get some bites if an animal is heavily infested, but it's treatable in humans, just not by your vet.
Speaker 7: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 6: Some other people asked about horses and someone wanted to know what a horse has a fracture, what can be done about it?
Speaker 7: And not not a lot of the shis.
Speaker 8: It's just typically unfortunate because of that weight and just the way they're built. Unfortunately, typically that is that leads to a veninary medicine decision that we never like to make, which is unfortunately euthanized. Most times, there's a lot of weight on there.
Speaker 10: It's almost like they're on one finger, so it's a lot of weight and it won't heal problem.
Speaker 7: Okay.
Speaker 6: Side note, I looked into this and there's a woman named doctor Julia Montgomery in Saskatchewan working on research involving horse harnesses that could save their lives by lifting them up and letting their fractures heal without all that weight. So mhm, hippology episode anyone horses.
Speaker 7: Us generally wants to know.
Speaker 6: First question asker, is it really okay for people to take fish or other antibiotics? Have you ever known someone who did this.
Speaker 9: To take fish fish?
Speaker 8: Yeah, we don't recommend that people take any antibiotics that are are prescribed to their animal right.
Speaker 6: I've known people who don't have insurance for like get tetracyclic aquariums.
Speaker 8: Yeah, no, record not, definitely don't recommend that.
Speaker 6: This next nephrological question was shared by Johnny Waldrop Morgan, Alexander Coburn, and Samantha Jacunth. A few people asked about preventing kidney disease and kidney's and is adding water.
Speaker 7: To their food a good idea or what else can they can people do?
Speaker 8: Low protein?
Speaker 9: Yeah, you want to have water available all the time.
Speaker 8: But okay, low protein foods definitely help because proteins have to be broken down and a lot of times that that puts more on the kidneys. So yeah, so that's one of the things. That's why they have these special dyes with less less protein and ash. So you know, diet is one big thing that we do see and I definitely see the angle that will coming from because we see a lot of kidney disease and UH in animals. And going back to technology, they have a new test.
Speaker 6: What is d m A J I know, you want to know what SMDA means, and I looked it up and it's metric dimethyl largan symmetric dimethyl RG nine s md A. But it's not to be confused with an SMDH test, which is the threshold at which something makes you shake your damn.
Speaker 8: Head, which tells us before they even develop it. Now, right, it's really it's really would you said that test maybe come along about two years ago at the most, which is just amazing. It's amazing technology. Where before we looked at karat nine and blood you're real not just in which tell us this animal is in kidney failure. But now a totally healthy kidney, we can find out those things by something called the SDMH test. It's pretty cheap, and you know, we recommend doing those as an earlier preventative, maybe at least after what six and then five six, and we'll know it before and we can start making some some different medical type change the preventive. So that would be the one thing. Try to do some preventative tests that, more than anything can can let let us know if there's a precursor to kidten disease.
Speaker 10: Because a lot of time they thing can be hereditary. So testing them yearly or even when they get older every six months, to kiss these things before they start causing failure, we definitely have a better chance.
Speaker 8: And they're pretty inexpensive. I mean we're talking probably listening with eighty books. I mean, it's not a terribly expensiveness.
Speaker 7: Yeah, oh, that's good to know.
Speaker 6: Lauren Mascaboda asked about mental illness or behavioral disorders and pets. They have a cat with anxiety, another with behaviors that the research compares closes with OCD. How about animals that you put on prozac or how does that does that help?
Speaker 7: How does it work?
Speaker 10: They have we have several behavior drugs. The thing about it is most don't work or don't work well without having training with it. So basically a lot of them put the animals in the frame of mind to learn. Then they have to be trained from there. A lot of dogs have separational anxiety. Owners leave, they just tear the house up. They have to be put on medicaid. But there are certain training things we have to do along with it. They have to do at home. It's not like you're gonna get a medication. Everything's gonna go away, it's gonna be fine. You have to do other things along with.
Speaker 6: It, such as doctor Hodges explains, okay.
Speaker 8: And some simple things you can do is, let's say you're gonna sit home and watch television. Grab your keys, shake them and if you if you have a pocketbook, grab your pocketbook and sit on the sofa. Because this dog is getting wound up. It's watching you, it's getting the cues. It knows like, okay, this guy is about leave or this lady's about to leave, So find those cues that kind of you usually do. But just sit home, sit home that night. So let's say you come home. One thing we recommend is if the dog is really really gonna ignore the dog you ignored initially coming in. Let's say you get home, you kind of wind down, grab your keys, grab your pocketbook, shake them and just sit down and watch TV or sit down with the dog and it all won't pick up on those cues. Those are some of the training things you can do that are really simple.
Speaker 6: Okay, Oh that's good to know. And a few people including Lacy Olain and Jennifer Lemon, Kim Bonnaker, Katie Viles and Elizabeth Emily, Jean Demies Binoza, Jessica Drew, and Justin Darr who wanted to know about grain free versus grain inclusive diets. Everyone seems to have an opinion. Nobody knows what to eat. How do you feel about it?
Speaker 9: We need to go down the road.
Speaker 8: Oh boy, I'll tell you I'm asked this every day, so I'll tell you I don't know the answer. But this is the thought though, because I've talked to actually the Druid reps and you know, there was a test and there was a trial and they were found that a small sample did develop cardiovascal disease brain free, right, I spread that study. So there was a study. So I mean, is there's been millions and millions of dogs that have eaten this, and this was a small sample. Now I don't know, I tell them, but this is what I say all my life. They've told me to drink a glass of wine every day to live forever. A couple of years ago they say, look, you drink a glass of wine, you're gonna die. So I don't know the answer. I'll be honest. So I mean it's just testing. If there are more tests, I'll be honest. I just don't know, because because it's just not enough tests. It's that one study. So I don't know where to drink one or us. I guess if I've been told all.
Speaker 10: Their studies that even the regular food doesn't carry there's not a lot of grain in it, so it's not enough to even make a difference.
Speaker 9: But we don't know. There are millions of dog foods.
Speaker 10: One thing I can say is a lot of times when different fats come out, we have fats for I don't know if maybe they're not fast, but things that are for humans, we transition those things right over to the animal world, and we fashion them to make them look pretty, and we label things that are attractive to us. They may not necessarily be good for your animal. May not make a difference, but because they're attracted, it's marketing. We grab it because they said it was good for us, she suld be good for my animal. That's not always the case. You know, A lot of the jury is still out on a lot of stuff.
Speaker 8: So that I don't know. I mean, I'm you know, just like everybody else. We were bumbarbared questions with our clients who see stuff on social media. I've researched, and there is that one study, but I mean, it's not a huge, huge study, so I'll be honest, I don't know.
Speaker 7: I read that that study was funded by Purina.
Speaker 8: All right, so that's exact. So you so you were kind of all over the place with right, So I'm not sure, okay.
Speaker 6: Side note in case you're unfamiliar with this study titled Diet associated dilated Cardiomyopathy and Dogs, What do We Know? It was published in the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association in late twenty eighteen, and it relates grain free diets high end legomes like peas and lentils, with some statistics on reported heart problems in certain breeds like golden retrievers. Now, a lot of vets are not super convinced by this. All seem to say way more research is needed. And if you do scroll down to the bottom of this study under the acknowledgment section, you'll see that its lead author has received research support by Purina, which makes a lot of grain inclusive foods interesting. Now, speaking of research, what do two vets think about using CBD or cannabinoid oil for our furry and scaly and feathered friends, Melanie Baker, Amelia Hines, Michelle Krebs, and Teresa Bosnova. I want to know what about Melanie Baker wants to know is there enough data or research yet on CBD usage for pets to draw any conclusions about efficacy for pain or inflammation or fear anxiety.
Speaker 8: So that's something just started yet. That's another thing.
Speaker 10: It's probably pretty similar to the grain. You know, they're pros and there are no cons the colony it doesn't work. But we're seeing more and more products that are being labeled and you know it depends on what state. There are certain certain states as well as ven there is concerned if we can use it or we can't use it. Yeah, so it's not something that's widely used yet, but if definitely probably going to.
Speaker 8: Be okay, I mean just and personally, I don't know, you know, again, it's some but I have seen some cases that it seems that people who kind of use it in conjunction with the seizure medicine, that the seizures do go down somewhat. I have kind of, you know, I've seen some cases that I think, you know, I mean, I don't have scientific proof, but it seems that I've seen some cases that possibly that it may help. You know, some epileptic type says possibly yes.
Speaker 6: And then let's say, I'm this is a question asking for a friend, your friend being my dog. So who else asked about weight management? Absolutely? No one, just me. I was literally the only person with this question. Okay, well, then this is for all the people who were maybe ashamed to ask how you deal with a chunk and when to intervene if you're once emaciated, rescue orphan becomes an absolute unit. She's like twelve pounds, maybe she's gotten to be about thirteen And how much should I be walking a little dog a day?
Speaker 8: All right? When you say thirteen pounds? Is that a that is that a Georgia thirteen pounds. Well you got a little bit, you know, you mean some some collar greens and a little bit.
Speaker 7: Definitely. I got her in July. She was a rescue.
Speaker 6: She was emaciated and she's seven, and she she just you could feel every bone and now she's.
Speaker 10: I can tell you one thing that an old veterinarian told me a long time ago.
Speaker 9: Is you can kill them with kindness.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 10: A lot of issues come from being obese and overweight. So just because you're telling me that you think it is, it is. Okay, Okay, that's how it works. So you want to be careful because of joint issues, you know, being too heavy. Not being mobile when we get older is another big thing. So what you may want to do is maybe find a diet that's lower lower car Yeah, or maybe even weight reduction.
Speaker 8: This is number one question. The food probably is fine? Her again, Oh how many?
Speaker 7: Maybe like three a week? Not a lot, not a lot, But I think I need so this.
Speaker 8: Maybe we'll truy.
Speaker 7: We both need to go.
Speaker 8: We're gonna use green but we're gonna say green beans. Okay, green beans is a good treat. Yeah, let's try green beans.
Speaker 6: Okay, Okay, that's so smart. Are you supposed to be able to feel a dog or cats ribs?
Speaker 9: You don't want to see them?
Speaker 10: Okay, but you want to when you If I'm standing behind a dog or cat and I'm reaching on both sides, I want to feel them without having to press too hard.
Speaker 7: Okay.
Speaker 10: I should be able to feel them by rubbed. If I have to press a little bit, then we got a little bit too much fat there. Okay, but I don't want to see them because we're too thin. So that's a good way to judge what we are as far as scoring them body condition.
Speaker 6: So guess who got a treat of agreed be today and didn't hate it? That's right, my chunky little love muffin, my small monkey, my little smunk.
Speaker 7: Okay.
Speaker 6: Also in naphology, I said I had a pet raccoon, and I was referring to Gramy, who was the dog and very much not a raccoon, despite looking like a raccoon and her pre adoption life of being a dumpster goblin on the streets, which is hard to even think about it.
Speaker 7: I can't even think about it.
Speaker 6: Speaking of difficult things and the last questions I always ask, yes, I always ask the hardest thing about your job first, the worst thing about your job.
Speaker 7: Even the most annoying thing. Is it paperwork? Is it?
Speaker 6: Is it having to stick hands anywhere?
Speaker 7: Weird? What's the hardest thing about being a bad for me?
Speaker 8: It's pretty easy. I mean, it couldn't dry. It's probably the same answer. But so being in practice now twenty years we've had, we're having to have the luxury now of seeing a full life cycle of adult. So we see a puppy that we've had, we've got it at six weeks old, and we've watched it become fourteen, fifteen, sixteen seventeen, and sometimes, you know, we've been when this dog, we've been with these people. We've watched the kids grow up, you know in some cases and we have the unfortunate leader and suffer. So you know, it's many cases now where we've watched them grow up and they'll say, well, Doc, can we wait a few hours because the kid is in college and they want to come be with us. So you have this kid come back who you've watched grew up with this pet, the pet and the family, and it's just heartbreaking. That's the hardest part for me.
Speaker 9: Definitely ethanagia. It's tough.
Speaker 10: Just being on an emotional roller coaster sometimes he mentioned earlier. You know, you may have that client in the room for that you know you're in and you're consoling them, and you've seen this patient since they were born. Basically you've seen the family and the kids grow up, and you have to go next door and there's a client in here that has a six week old puppy of kid that's just starting this thing off. So you're emotionally going from one state to another state. And sometime this goes own and own, so emotionally sometime it can take a toll. So that's probably the toughest part of the job. And just being able to regroup, go in another room, start over, and.
Speaker 8: That hum and on them bond like were talking about, but I mean it's a human vent there bond too, because we washed these dogs. I mean we washed them, we know them, we know the people we know. And being in rural Georgia, Jesus again, I talked about the grocery store. These are the same people who see you in the grocery store and say, hey, Doc, Penelope is doing really good, and like okay, or hey doc, I gotta come see you because Penelope is not really doing good and I'm afraid we're gonna have to make that decision. And you dread that, you really do.
Speaker 6: How do you guys make sure that you and bats in general take care of your own mental health because they know that that's something that that.
Speaker 8: Is very that is, that is something that the profession is really looking at, because unfortunately we have had, you know, a suicide, doctor Ferson. We went to your classmates who own a practice unfortunately committed suicide six eight months ago. I mean, it's it is a mental roller coaster. Just just get with your peers. I mean, we have to talk about it and talk it through because sometimes, you know, it's tough. I mean, you you feel down and you you can you can fix one hundred animals, but if you lose that one, that's the one you think about. You know, people don't understand that's the one that eats at you. That's the one that when you go home and says your table, you're like, oh, could have done something different. That is that is you know, And and it's hard because we were used to success and we wanted to be one hundred percent. But it there is in that eat such a lot.
Speaker 9: And they're definitely stuf.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 10: In our profession now is called compassion fatigue, which is a new term that they use, and and that's exactly what it is, is just fatigue from compassion. You know, you just love it. We're in the profession for a reason. We didn't get in here because we didn't like animals. We're here because we love them. And you know, we have to make those tough decisions sometimes or sometimes they come in and they don't make it, and like you said, we want everyone to make it, you know, and you start questioning yourself, could I have done something better? And you know that that's nothing. Could you could have done better? But another thing about veterinarians, we're all want everything to be one, right. That's kind of who we are as a That's who we are. So if it doesn't go like we want to go, we really stress ourselves, put a lot of pressure on ourselves and that and then we have to go from there to the room that now we're starting with a new pleapod and then you have to go home and you take it home, you know. So it is something that mental health is a big thing in vent there in medicine and we're we're learning how to deal with it and cope with it. And you know, once you have a classmate or someone you know that has it has happened to you know it's real, then it's it coming more and more.
Speaker 8: I mean, you know, and again not knocking physicians, I mean some of my best friends of physician, but if a person goes to a physician and they have a lung and their physician thinks is cancer, they'll refer and you go see somebody in two weeks, right, you're waiting to get in maybe four weeks. A dog comes in with a lump. I gotta think, okay, is this cancer. I gotta figured out. I may have to buy off it. I might even have to serge to be taken off all within three hours. You know, you gotta figured out you gotta take it off. You gotta look at his histopathology under mix and make this decision. Whereas even on in humans, if they come in, you know, we give our physician okay, well he thinks lump. I gotta wait to get into on colleges, I mean, you have to be in on colleges. You have to be these things and that that can mentally put you in some tough places.
Speaker 6: But you're wearing every hat for every you got a camel over here and you're his on college, and you've got a spider over here, and you're it's it's nutrition.
Speaker 8: So it is, it is. It is a tough thing.
Speaker 7: There's a lot of ologies.
Speaker 6: When I listened to go, when I went to title this episode, I was like, is it veterinary technology? And but a veterinary technologist is a completely different more.
Speaker 9: Or less system.
Speaker 7: Yeah yeah. The nurse yeah, and they also help you run everything. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so we'll give claps to them to be sure.
Speaker 10: You can do it without it. Yes, I was initially trained as a veterinary technician. Oh yeah, that's how I got started.
Speaker 7: So oh wow.
Speaker 9: I definitely have appreciation for that, for the technician and the nurses.
Speaker 6: And what about the best thing about being a bat?
Speaker 7: What is something that just gives you butterfly still gets you out of.
Speaker 8: Bed every day and every day and it's different, Like when I'm driving to work, I can be a dermatologist, a cardiologist our own colleges, a surgeon, a pediatrician who delivers about yeah, obstetrician. I may do it see sex all before lunchtime.
Speaker 10: Yeah, And I always say, you know if Veninarion has a special job, because we can make everyone in the house happy. Because if you bring me your animal, your dog or cat, and it's not doing well and I help you make it well, not only does a dog feel better, you feel better, So we can make the whole house happy.
Speaker 8: There you go.
Speaker 6: You're excited to go from being vets and being vets at TV stars.
Speaker 8: Also, well we are and we get that question all the time. So I don't know we'll be TV stars. I don't know how this will go, but I can promise you one I think we'll always be Southern gentlemen. I promise you that they don't never change.
Speaker 7: And friends, Yes, that's.
Speaker 6: Right, So work hard at what you love and get by with a little help from your friends. Also, ask smart people stupid questions because the questions are not stupid, and look, they love answering them. Also watch Doctor Ferguson and Doctor hodges On Critter Fixers on that Geo Wild There amazing and so is the show.
Speaker 7: Also stay safe.
Speaker 6: Isolate, Isolate, Isolate, wash your hands and listen to the Virology episode from last week if you need to understand why it's important to stay inside and skip the discos for a while. Trust me, you're saving lives by introverting. More episodes are up at aliward dot com. You can follow us at Ologies on Instagram and Twitter. I'm at Aliward with one L on both. And thank you Aaron Talbert for adminting the Ologies podcast Facebook group. Thanks Shannon Feltis and Bonnie Dutch of the comedy podcast You Are That for managing all the merch at ologiesmerch dot com. Thank you Emily White and all the Ologies podcast transcribers for getting transcripts made, especially so fast. They're on my website on the Ologies extra page. And thank you Jared Sleeper for the assistant editing. He makes the mental health podcast My Good Bad Brain, and he does weekly Sunday morning live streaming with the Traumatologist episode guest doctor Nick Barr, which is so good and of course to the rescue every week is Stephen Morris, a cat daddy and host of the per cast and the Dino themed Sea Jurassic Right. Nick Thorburn of the band Islands wrote and performed the theme music and Happy Birthday to My Wonderful sister Janelle. This week, if you stick around until the end of the episode, you know I tell you a secret. This week's secret is I know that we're all isolating. I have been sleeping like twelve hours a day, and I think that's just a major catchup. I don't know. I'm starting to worry, but I have gotten so little done despite having all of this extra time from canceled events. And if you're feeling the same way, please do not beat yourself up. So if you're feeling a little bit less productive then you hoped you would be, don't worry.
Speaker 7: You're in good company. I'm right there with you.
Speaker 6: And that being said, let's try to do things that will cheer us up a little, like little spoons or watch movies, or pet your pets or maybe adopt one. Perhaps now is the time, Okay, stay safe, love y'all for bye.
Speaker 11: Pacaderman College, Hobbiology, ry doo, Zoology, lithology and leology, meteorology, old pedatologynythology, seriology, selenology.
Speaker 9: Why some cookies chips away? Cook chips away?
Speaker 8: Your favorite