Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio ANPP.
Speaker 2: Ronald Rowe, the acting Director of the Secret Service, is discussing the assassination attempt of former President Trump in Butler, Pennsylvania, and going through a timeline of exactly what happened on that that's it.
Speaker 3: The Secret Service counter sniper teams that local law enforcement was looking for a suspicious individual outside of the perimeter lurking around the AGR building. At this time, Secret Service personnel were operating with the knowledge that local law enforcement was working on an.
Speaker 4: Issue of a suspicious individual.
Speaker 3: The concept of local law enforcement working on such issues is common at sites, and on July thirteenth, there are over one hundred calls for support. At six pm, former President Trump took the stage to begin remarks, and based on what I know right now, neither the Secret Service counter sniper teams nor members of the former president's security detail had any knowledge that there was a man on the roof of the AGR.
Speaker 4: Building with a firearm.
Speaker 3: It is my understanding that personnel were not aware the assailant had a firearm until they heard gunshots.
Speaker 4: At six eleven PM.
Speaker 3: Member of the former President Trump's protective detail contacted their Pittsburgh Field ofvis counterpart to inquire about the radio update that there was an issue local law enforcement was looking into near the perimeter. At six to eleven PM, the assailant's first volley of three shots was fired, and within three seconds, the former President's detail rushed the stage and covered Former President Trump, shielding him with their own bodies. The fourth through way shots took place over the next several seconds. Fifteen and a half seconds after the assailants first shot, a Secret Service counterstriper fired a single round.
Speaker 4: That neutralized the assailant.
Speaker 3: That concludes a quick brief summary of the timeline, and with that, I'll turn it over to our staff here to begin any questions.
Speaker 5: You said earlier this week to Congress that you don't want to tip anything on the scale. As far as discipline a reaction is concerned, I need to ask you, since you testified, has anyone been suspended with or without pay?
Speaker 4: Has anyone been fired?
Speaker 5: And will you tell us as people are disciplined along the way, or is this something we're going to need to just constantly be asking or were you update and tell us five people have been fired? Six people, seven people? What can you tell us? Sure, thank you for that question, David, So. As I said in my opening statement, there are going to be.
Speaker 4: There's the Mission Assurance review.
Speaker 3: If that Mission Assurance review is looking into if there are policy violations at that point. Now, if in fact there were policy violations at that point, now it'll go into a parallel path of disciplinary type of investigation. Those are internal investigations that deal with employee matter. So we're not going to be able to provide real time updates or continuously to provide you updates on that. But what I will tell you is that these are very thorough investigations and if in fact there were policy violations and they are substantiated, those.
Speaker 4: Employees people want to hear that.
Speaker 3: I will be able to, at least at a high level begin provide at least some type of statement that people are being accountable, being held accountable.
Speaker 5: And I appreciate this box digital fans of new video or somebody on the room which we believe is the assailant that.
Speaker 6: Running back and forth while President Trump was speaking, What do you think when you see that?
Speaker 7: How did that go?
Speaker 8: With this timeline here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it it affirms to me.
Speaker 3: And again and you heard this from the FBI and they're still conducting interview and looking at this. It even just affirms to me that this was a failure. We should have had better protection for the protectee. We should have had better coverage on that roofline. We should have had at least some other set of eyes from the Secret Service point of view, covering that that building was very close to that outer perimeter, and we should have had more of a presence.
Speaker 4: And so as far as the.
Speaker 3: Timeline running of him running back and forth, I know the FBI has provided a bit of a chronology as well, and so I'd have to go back and look at that. But the bottom line is this, David, this was a Secret Service failure. That roof line should have been covered. We should have had better eyes on that.
Speaker 4: Thanks.
Speaker 2: You're listening to Ronald Rowe, the acting director of the US Secret Service, and his breakdown of what happened back on July thirteenth and Butler, Pennsylvania, of course, the assassination on former President Trump, and a couple of quick takeaways. Before we went to him live, he did say something that's been pretty interesting because one of the issues that's been bubbling up is what requirement or what was asked of local law enforcement agents who were on the ground or technically in the building where the shooter was. Remember, there was a sniper team, but it was a local agency sniper team that was in the building where the shooter ended up shooting from, and what kind of response they would have been expected to give. In fact, in his testimony earlier this week, the acting director, remember he held up the poster and said, if they had just looked left out the window, they would have seen this guy. And it sounded as if he was pinning it on those people, on those local law enforcement officers that were there. The local law enforcement officer said, no, no, no, it should have been you, oh guy. We told you over and over again that there was a suspicious person. So what Acting Director Roe said just a few minutes ago was no local officers should be held responsible for a secret service failure. He used that he used the word failure half a dozen times, a couple of them you heard there just at the end before we got out of that. But he said, no local law enforcement officers should be held responsible for a Secret Service failure and that this was a failure. He in this timeline that he was laying out, said that the Secret Service was told of a suspicious person at about five forty five, so almost officially, and this is before I'm sorry, this was after local law enforcement had seen this guy.
Speaker 9: They ran it up the flagpole, they went up the chain.
Speaker 2: At five forty five was the first time the Secret Service was told that they are working on some sort of a suspicious person. And of course the shots came at about six eleven, so less than a half an hour later is when the guy started shooting. He also said that the Secret Service would earn back US trust, which is important because a new poll came out from AP that said only about three in ten Americans are confident that the Secret Service can keep presidential candidates safe from violence.
Speaker 9: Before the election, we.
Speaker 2: Were listening to the Secret Service director Acting Director Ronald Rowe and his news conference. He was laying out some more timeline of the July thirteenth assassination attempt on former President Trump, and one of the things that he said right at the beginning was that no local law enforcement should be held responsible for Secret Service failures. And I wanted you to hear it from his mouth.
Speaker 3: In no way should any state or local agency supporting us in Butler on July thirteenth be held responsible for a secret service failure.
Speaker 2: Which is very different from the gist he gave in his congressional testimony earlier this week, by when he was suggesting that local counter sniper team had this guy right next to them, basically under their noses, had they just looked left, if you remember, Also, we just got word out of DC, specifically the Democratic National Committee that Kamala Harris has won the votes of enough Democratic Convention delegates to become the party's presidential nominee. So she's now officially the presumptive Democratic nominee. The huge deal that dominated headlines yesterday, of course, was this massive prisoner swap that took place between the United States, several Allied countries, and Russia. Twenty four prisoners changed hands. Of course, you know some of the big names, the Evan Gershkovich, the Paul Wheelands, and of course the Russian hit man who was serving a life sentence in Germany. Joining us to talk more about all of this and some of the details of these negotiations that took place. Washington correspondent Joe Khalil with News Nation, Jill, thanks for taking time for us today.
Speaker 7: Of course, happy to do it.
Speaker 2: Hey, I was going through a couple of different versions. You know, different news organizations had put together their sort of inside look or behind the scenes of these negotiations, and it's pretty amazing. I mean, this is this is movie script style foreign relations, but also the CIA and the FSB and other intelligence agencies are involved.
Speaker 9: This is pretty crazy.
Speaker 7: He truly is. And the biggest challenge for me today is that they're trying to get me to tell that story in about two minutes when I think I could, I need about an hour and a half to tell it. But no, from start to finish, we're talking about literally years of diplomacy behind the scenes to try to get these deals done. I think the most amazing part about this whole narrative is how many times it almost failed and the dynamics continue to shift over and over. Let's remember Paul Wheelan is one of the more high profile prisoners who was released yesterday. He had been in six years in prison in Russia behind bars. So while they're negotiating for him, there's discussion that Alexi Navolney, the very famous opposition figure to Putin who had been in prison, that he was going to be a part of this deal. He died or the US State Department very much believes might have been killed in prison. There were thoughts that, okay, that was going to end this deal as they're negotiating for Wheeland. Then Gershkovitz gets arrested in twenty twenty three in March. People thought, okay, now we have to include Gerskovitz in this deal. Does that complicate things? I was tundering one scene that was described, and the Wall Street Journal has an advantage on this obviously they've got sources involved in the story. At Georgetown restaurant is a man named Roger Hartston's who he is going to be one of the central figures in the movie One Day. Works for the State Department. He's the guy who's in charge of hostage negotiation Bulgarian. Yes, yes, he's meeting one on one with this Bulgarian researcher. This guy has a direct tie to Putin and they're sitting at this Georgetown restaurant under a fake name reservation writing down on cocktail napkins, names of Russian prisoners who are imprisoned all over the world that might be suitable trades for Gershkovitz and for Wheeland and the others. That's the kind of thing. And then behind the scenes, he had people like Hillary Clinton, who we just found out was in Germany trying to advocate get them to be willing to release their guy. All kinds of stuff like that that led to the amazing deal that we got last night. So people don't like it because they think it may incentivize people like Putin to continue to take prisoners. Certainly that's a fair criticism, but certainly very happy for these families that were reunited after months and years last night, having to go through a kind of hell that most people don't ever have to experience.
Speaker 2: Where do you come down on the thought that because Joe Biden is not going to be campaigning, that that helped push this along.
Speaker 7: You know, I'm just not sure what to make of that idea. You know, even up until the moments that he was still the nominee, these negotiations were very much moving forward and happening. We had heard from some of our sources that this really sort of came together and looked like, you know, it was going to happen toward the end of June. At that point, Joe Biden was still the nominee, so you know, there's going to be a lot of speculation, and I don't blame people for speculating about it. That Okay, now that he got out, it may have had an impact on, you know, Russia's willingness to accept the deal. It's my understanding they were basically giving the US the green light before it was known that Joe Biden was going to drop out, So I'm not sure how much realistically that played a role. You know, again, this has been an ongoing negotiation for years. You know, maybe we find out something later, but I don't know that I put too much stock into that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well again, Joe, this is I do not envy you trying to cram all of that into a two minute report, but you're going to have to have like a I don't know, flannel graph or some sort of some sort of a visual aid to help get all of this done.
Speaker 9: Thanks for your time, Joey, appreciate it, of course, happy to do it.
Speaker 2: Joe Khalil there again, Washington correspondent for NewsNation about this prisoner swap Democrats have made it official. Now there are enough Democratic Convention delegates who have thrown their support behind Vice President Harris that she is the party's expected presidential nominee. Of course, the convention starts August nineteenth in Chicago. Job growth in the United States slowed much more than was expected in the month of July, just one hundred and fourteen thousand new jobs in the month, way down from what was estimated at about one hundred and eighty five thousand. The unemployment rate goes up to four point three percent. That has been one of the reasons why the Dow Jones Industrial average has been down almost eight hundred points for most of the day Today, the Department of Justice is suing TikTok and its parent company byte Dance for allegedly violating children's online privacy. The Department of Justice is accusing TikTok of allowing kids under the age of thirteen to create accounts, collect data on those kids, and then failing to comply with parents' requests to delete the accounts and information. According to this lawsuit, the actions by TikTok would violate the law from a couple of years ago called the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act, as well as a settlement agreement from twenty nineteen with an app that was known as Musically according to According to this lawsuit, Secret Service is holding a news conference right now in which the Acting Director of the Secret Service, Ronald Rowe, said, in no way should local law enforcement be held responsible for a Secret Service failure. Of course, he's referring to the assassination attempt from Butler, Pennsylvania, but basically said that there were communication breakdowns and all of that rests with the Secret Service, that they are the ones who have ultimate responsibility for protecting, in this case, a former president and presidential candidate of the United States. So tonight Dodgers are in Oakland to take on the A's first pitch is going to be six forty. You can listen to every play of every Dodgers game on AM five seventy LA Sports Live from the Galvin Motors Broadcast booth, and stream all the games INHD on the iHeartRadio app. Used that keyword AM five seventy LA Sports. Don't forget it's Friday, so we're going to do what you learned this week on the Gary and Channon Show.
Speaker 9: If you listen on the iHeart app.
Speaker 2: Just go to the talkback feature, which is that little microphone button. You just boop hit that button and record a quick message that comes into the computer.
Speaker 9: Here.
Speaker 2: It seems like it's been a couple of years now, but we have been talking about the dangers of smartphones, specifically for kids in school. It was a couple of days ago I referred to a study that showed that suicide rates specifically among girls, and I mean young girls between the ages of eight and twelve, have grown drastically over the course of the last fifteen years. Well, the iPhone was invented in two thousand and seven, and by two thousand and nine a whole lot of people had smartphones and social media accounts. And I tend to believe that the two of those together are a very very dangerous combination. And then if you look specifically at teachers, administrators, counselors, et cetera in schools, they say that these phones and social media connected are having an incredibly negative impact on on kids and their mental health. I've referred to it many times now, this book by doctor Jonathan Hate, The Anxious Generation, discussing all of the impacts that even though there are not a lot of studies or not a lot of ways to directly connect smartphones, social media, and kids and their attitude towards each other, their attitudes towards themselves, their attitudes towards whatever physical fitness, their friends, suicide, All of these things heavily impacted by them. The evidence that exists, all of it points to points to social media and smartphones. And I love doing these stories when school districts ban the phones or curb the use of phones during school hours and then see positive impacts. The latest comes to us from East Jackson High School out of Michigan. According to the principle, at East Jackson High School, engagement is up and drama is down exponentially.
Speaker 9: Those are his words.
Speaker 2: He said, when you take away the compulsion to address snapchat and TikTok, kids find themselves having to concentrate and participate in some of these debates in a classroom. Students, staff and parents have appreciated it. And again the principle says, I don't think people fully understand the amount of behavioral issues that began with a snapchat. If you take that out of the classroom, a lot of drama goes away. He was concerned, he said, especially if you come off of a summer break, where I bet screen time for some of these kids is in the eight to twelve hour range.
Speaker 9: That's mind blowing.
Speaker 2: But he said he was a little bit worried about telling incoming students that they're not going to have their phone on their person. But when he set out notices to all of the incoming freshmen and the returning students, etc. That they were not going to be allowed to have their phone in the classrooms, they're going to have to lock them up in their lockers during the school year, he said it was amazing. Parents and students sent him emails saying, I think it's a great idea. The band phones at the high school followed a two year trial at the Jackson Middle School, the East Jackson Middle School that they said was sort of a litmus test. Maybe it's just to get kids used to it, and said officials are now encouraging other schools and districts in the area to consider doing the exact same thing. Lawmakers in some states have considered whether to implement state wide cell phone bands. We're looking at one here in California. Obviously, we did this story about how La Unified, the second largest school district in the country, is looking at a band to start early next year because they know it would improve student learning and they know it would reduce behavioral problems. Through mid June, the last time we kind of checked on this, Indiana, Florida, and Ohio have banned cell phones in schools statewide. Other states are looking at it New York, Oklahoma, Missouri, et cetera. But when you look at during all of this, about forty two percent of say fourth graders are proficient in reading in the state of Michigan, where again where this high school is, and that's about sixteen percent for black third graders, more than ten percent behind students still learning English at twenty six point four percent, and at the current pace, they said, students could get back into pre pandemic proficiency when it comes to reading. And one of the things that they want to do is remove the phones from schools to put an emphasis back on learning and simple social interaction, simple down to earth, face to face social interaction. A proposal for a state wide ban in Michigan is not being accepted by everyone, though One of the Republican state representatives, Brad Pasquett, says It's one of the worst ideas we could come up with as legislators because it's a cultural learning issue where kids are going to have to learn how to deal with these distractors at.
Speaker 9: Some point in their life.
Speaker 2: No lawmaker, at least not in Michigan yet has proposed a state wide school band in the current session. Parents have mixed feelings. I understand because there's a concern of being in touch with your kid during an emergency situation, and I've talked about it many times before.
Speaker 9: There's ways to get around that.
Speaker 2: You can give your kid a phone that doesn't have access to social media and you can still stay in contact with them. Regular teacher mother of two says teenagers do not make the smartest decisions about cell phones. They're using it as a distraction device like adults do. The difference is they don't have the self control to say or the self awareness to say, this is affecting my work. I need to put it down like an adulthood and even adults, come on, be serious. Even adults have a hard time doing that. Terror and the sky's coming up also, of course, our trending stories, we check in with Jason Nathanson about some entertainment stuff for the weekend, The nine Newsnugger You need to Know, and what you learned on the Gary and Channon Show Still to Come.
Speaker 9: Deborah Mark is live in the KFI twenty four hour news room. A man from Long.
Speaker 10: Beach has pleaded guilty for his role in a two point six million dollars smash and grab at a jewelry store in Beverly Hills. He's been in custody since September of twenty twenty two. Prosecutors say the guy was part of a larger group this smashed the display case. That year, Vice President Harris has secured enough delegate votes to become the Democratic nominee for president, and half a dozen people in masks of ransacked the headquarters of Venezuela's opposition and an escalation of violence against President Nicholas Madua's Maduro's opponents after the disputed presidential election. Southland weather from KFI sunny and hot seventies to the triple digits.
Speaker 11: This report brought to you Buy What's.
Speaker 10: App from the Southern California Toyota Dealers Traffic Center. Let's Go Places. We have a crash on the five in East LA to.
Speaker 12: The bond northbound before you get to cayl Zona Street. They are getting that over to the right shoulder now Southgate seven ten northbound the off Framp two Imperial Highway is still shut down from an earlier rack. In Long Beach ninety one westbound before the seven to ten had an accident in the lanes. They just got that to the right shoulder as well. Newport Beach seventy three northbound before Birch Street still got that injury accident block in the left lane in the far right lane. And in Azuza two ten west at Irwindale Avenue got the four car wreck in the left lane with Southern California's only airborne traffic aboard sim Jenny Harmon.
Speaker 11: This report is sponsored by Fantastic SAMs. Looking for great hair color, trendy or classic fass cut in color stylists can make it happen. Visit any of their sixty five salons throughout Southern California to experience affordable luxury. Walk in or book online at Fantastic SAMs dot com for top notch hair color cuts and more.
Speaker 13: Getting quality employees to fill positions in your company is essential, but finding those people can be a major hassle unless you use ZipRecruiter. ZipRecruiter makes finding quality people of breeze, and right now you can try it for free at ZipRecruiter dot com slash free. With ZipRecruiter one click sends your job to hundreds of top job sites. But more than that, Zip recruiters advanced technology identifies the candidates with the skills you need, sends you a list of great matches to review, then actively invites them to apply for your job, and the results speak for themselves. Four out of five employers who post on ZipRecruiter get a quality candidate within the first day. That's right, the first day. Now you can focus on your business and let ZipRecruiter do the work finding the best people for you. See for yourself. Experience the ease, efficiency and power of zip recruiter for free. Just go to ZipRecruiter dot com slash free. That's ZipRecruiter dot com slash free, ZipRecruiter dot com slash free.
Speaker 14: In this edition of The Marketers, Angela is Apaida, chief marketing Officer of Hyundai Motor America, discusses measuring audio.
Speaker 15: The measurement capability with an audio I think surprised all of us, but all of it's been extremely helpful and we have seen a huge return on our investment. The methodology by which we're approaching audio and then seeing the real results with real numbers has helped us continue to invest moving forward. One of the things that's been really important for us is to see the extension of reach to the new audiences that we could not really.
Speaker 9: Speak to before.
Speaker 15: We get about a twenty percent lift adding audio to our overall portfolio.
Speaker 14: As the number one audio company, iHeartMedia gives marketers access to all from national to local, every audience, live conversations, trusted influencers, and the insights.
Speaker 4: Of data you need to grow.
Speaker 14: Not just a marketing company, iHeartMedia is your access company. If you're a marketer, go to iHeart results dot com.
Speaker 16: Me and the kids were always messaging day LOI irofl But then I changed phone and the bubbles went green.
Speaker 2: But where there's a fill, there's a way, And I found a way to share what's in here.
Speaker 9: I'm tapping my heart. What's up?
Speaker 17: The place to safely send messages between different devices, message privately with everyone.
Speaker 1: Okay, you listen to KFI. Clearly your interested in what's going on around the world and you want.
Speaker 9: The whole story right, You're not alone.
Speaker 1: The KFI audience is influential, affluent, and very well educated. I know every time I screw up, they tell me. If you're a business owner, CEO, or responsible for marketing, KFI AM six forty can help you reach your goals and connect you with brand new customers. As the most listened to radio station on the entire iHeartRadio app, KFI reaches more consumers in your target area than anyone else. And not just anyone, if you know what I mean, people exactly like you, homeowners, business owners, CEOs, et cetera, et cetera, top end people. KFI listeners know they can trust us, and most of them have purchased a product or a service that we've recommended. KFI has helped foul of great Southern California businesses.
Speaker 9: To grow, and we'd also like to help you out as well.
Speaker 1: Just let us show you how KFI AM six forty can work for you and your business. Just aile pound two fifty on your cellphone and say grow my business. That's pound two fifty and say grow my business. And then you sit back while we grow your Business Happens to Work, Ding Do Wong with the station Happening.
Speaker 8: Now iHeartRadio All Things twenty twenty four Paris Olympics. Listen to NBC's lively by play coverage of swimming, basketball, volleyball, gymnastics, and everything Team USA from Paris, all on the free iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 9: Listen now portions of the following program. We're prerecorded a month ago. We couldn't have foreseen what that debate was going to turn out to be.
Speaker 12: We couldn't have foreseen that there was going to be a presidential assassination ATTIMPT.
Speaker 17: We couldn't have foreseen Joe Biden dropping out, Mo Kelly, We just don't know what is going to happen Live seven to ten pm on KFI and on demand anytime on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 14: Sixty Thank you the word.
Speaker 10: Get Away, get Away, get Away, get Away.
Speaker 16: Away, Gary and Shannon k if I am six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 4: Oh my God, I love you guys.
Speaker 3: This is a Friday, and you played one of my favorite songs Rehab Amy wine House.
Speaker 6: I love you guys.
Speaker 4: I'm a great Friday.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's somebody starting early, isn't it that seems like someone starting Gary.
Speaker 7: Where Shannon, you haven't made mention of her recently, Where as long as I've been listening this morning, at least.
Speaker 6: Let us know what's up with her.
Speaker 7: Well, hopefully she's okay.
Speaker 9: I appreciate the concern. I'm sure she does as well. Jennet Elia. No, they're fine. She has a day off.
Speaker 2: That's what that is, and that's all that that is.
Speaker 6: My disdain for your hate of cats may drive me to listening to another show.
Speaker 9: That's it.
Speaker 6: I had a cat for almost nineteen years, since she was a loving, sweet little girl. Okay, you should change your mind about cats.
Speaker 2: Bye, I should change my mind about cats, or else he's going to listen to them. I don't talk about cats very often. I don't like to talk about cats very often. It's too hard for me because of my heart that was broken also by a cat. A couple of stories that we are following. Chevron, the second largest US oil companies, moving its headquarters to Houston. Of course, yet another company that's leaving the state. The company's ties to California date back to the eighteen seventies. Chevron said it already had roughly seven thousand employees in the Houston area, about two thousand at its current headquarters in San Ramo, up near San Francisco. Three years after the audience plummeted for the Tokyo Games, they have rebounded dramatically on an array of platforms for NBC and this year's Olympics, NBC said it drew nearly thirty five million viewers for Tuesday's coverage, including the women's gymnastics team finals. They said the figure is a total audience delivery that includes all of the NBC platforms. Live coverage on NBC and Peacock averaged nearly thirteen million viewers, Pretty impressive considering it's in the middle of the day. They also said that they have a Gold Zone product I haven't seen yet, but it's a whip around show, they say, based on the NFL Networks Red Zone that takes viewers to key moments from live events as they happen. Speaking of sports, Rockies beat the Angels five to four last night. The Angels will host the Mets this weekend, and for the third time in the last four seasons, Mike Trout's year has ended early because of injury. He has yet another meniscus tear in his left knee that will require surgery, so he is out for the rest of this season. They hope to have him back in TEMP for spring training coming up in the spring. Tonight, the Dodgers are in Oakland to take on the A's first pitch is at six forty. You can listen to every play of every Dodgers game on AM five seventy LA supports and stream all the games NHD on the iHeartRadio app. Use the keyword AM five seventy LA Sports powered by LA Care for all of LA. It's time for the latest edition of Terror in the Skies.
Speaker 3: Pike, Darronier, you're a claret the day off, Roger, Get off my plane, Roger Rogers, what's our Victor?
Speaker 17: Victor, I have a handed with his mucky pipe and snakes on this money to It's Gary and Shannon's Terror in the Skies on kfive.
Speaker 9: Wow, this is pretty funny.
Speaker 2: There's an article in USA today regarding the seat storage that exists under the seat in front of you on an airplane and what you can put there and what you can't. So they tell you, you know, you can put your purse there. Jay, if you want to, you could put a backpack down there. You could put a briefcase if it fits. That kind of stuff is what they will allow you to put under the seat. But because airlines continue to raise the fees for their baggage, right the normal baggage, people are forced to or try to take more stuff on the plane with them and consider it their carry on. So space wars, and I mean this not in that way, but in the War for space, the War four area volume. How's that not space like alzer Spek. I'm going to be in trouble for that one. But it goes from on the overhead bind down to your seat, and passengers are jamming everything under their seat. Now, the average seat pitch in economy class thirty to thirty two inches, probably the average seat with about seventeen. Now, you and I don't consider that when we sit down very much. I mean they're all cramped, they're all probably less comfortable than they should be. But when an airline announces a new cabin interior, it often goes to thinner seats, even though we are getting fatter as a population, So they want to cram more seats in there because obviously one seat one ticket, that's a lot of money. The amount of room under the seat can vary as well. One clue as to the amount of leg room is the size limit for an under seat carry on, and you can look them up. Different airlines have different requirements. For American Airlines, it's eighteen by fourteen by eight that's their limit. On Jet Blue they say it's about an inch smaller, seventeen by thirteen by eight. Now, the bottom line, you never know how much room you're going to have on a plane, but chances are it's not going to be much. I have a friend who has a Scottish terrier that's about twenty pounds twenty two pounds on the regular.
Speaker 9: They fly with that dog in a.
Speaker 2: Crate, well a soft crate, but in a carrier that goes under the seat and fits comfortably. That's the least obtrusive thing to put under one of these seats. This is just a breakdown of some of the things that have that people have been putting under the seats in front of them. On a flight from Buenos Aires to Madrid, this passenger watched a passenger next to her jam an entire plastic cooler under the seat. The box was so big it had to be wedged in the space and almost caused the seat to bulge upward. Finally, the passenger realized there was no room for his feet on that flight, so he found room for the cooler on the overhead bin, and he accessed the cooler several times during the flight. He had potato chips and eggs, salad sandwiches. Oversized medical device. Unika Daniels flew from Saint Kitts to Miami recently. Wasn't sure what to do with the new seat pap machine, so she put it under her seat. Now again, it takes up enough space. There's no room for your legs, so she said, she flew with her legs on top of the machine. Now she's concerned because she says, if enough people try to dram a jam there carry on bags under the seat, what happens in an emergency when they have to evacuate the plane. That's why if you have a backpack or a briefcase or something like that that sticks out from under the seat, even if you're in the window seat, they tell you to push it all the way underneath, or they make you put it up above, or they make you check the bag because it is a safety thing.
Speaker 9: And how about this.
Speaker 2: One passenger tried to take advantage of the space under their seat from La Too, Spokane by putting the entire entire carry on bag, the wheeled luggage, underneath it because the plane had run out of overhead space and she thought that she didn't want to check it at the gate, so she put it under there. They say, never put laptop under your seat because they can get damaged or crushed. Don't put anything sharp under there because you're your foot or the foot of the person in front of you is gonna be playing around down there and you're gonna cut your feet open.
Speaker 9: Don't do that.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app