Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven to nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: Once again. We've got you covered.
Speaker 3: On Saturday for game day coverage, Louisville and SMU will have the pregame show starting at eleven am, hosted by myself, presented by Pillow Windows and Doors of Central Kentucky and Jefferson Animal Hospitals.
Speaker 2: So we'll go from eleven to noon.
Speaker 3: Obviously, kickoff is at noon, and as soon as the game ends, we'll react to it right here in the Louisville Football postgame Show presented by Alex Roy Lawyers Sue Distracted Driver dot Com, hopefully reacting to not only a win for Louisville, but a clean football game without as many mistakes as we saw in South Bend. Mistakes that you know, really the opponent had very little or nothing to do with. But we shall see. I'm eager to see what this team looks like coming off of a disappointing loss. Losing the Notre Dame at Notre Dame is usually what everybody does when they go there, and I know Northern Illinois they were able to leave with a victory but still a loss is not a bad thing there, but just to know that you made so many mistakes and just really, I mean, I know they weren't trying to lose the game, but there were four or five plays throughout that you're thinking, Okay, well, I mean, you're not gonna win if you do that, and despite doing all that, you still had a chance.
Speaker 2: So I'll stop talking about it.
Speaker 3: Because it's it's it still pisses me off, but we'll move on. And you know what takes me from being pissed off to happy is welcoming in mister Zach Barnett of FootballScoop dot dot com. How are we doing this afternoon, Zach?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, Nick, when I come on your show, I go from happy to pissed off.
Speaker 3: So I guess we're yeah, we'll balance each other out right. Life's all about balance, my man. So I'll start with the Alabama Georgia game. I'm not sure it could have been more entertaining to those that were watching without a dog in the fight, or that made a wager that just wanted to see an entertaining game. It wasn't that at the beginning. But man, what a finish. I mean, it's tough to know. It's still relatively early in the season, but like, nobody will be shocked if it's those two potentially playing for the national championship, right.
Speaker 4: I would say shocked, No, But the odds of it happening are probably less than one would assume, even if we take at face value that those are two of the two best teams of the country.
Speaker 3: More so because of the way they would have to line up in the bracket, or because maybe one of them's not maybe not not not as good as people think.
Speaker 4: Both a little column any little more Calum b Yeah, I mean Alabama moved to number one in the country in a game where over three quarters of the game they were outscored thirty four to thirteen. I mean, they deserve all the credit in the world for going out and winning that game, But that was a start that Georgia was clearly shell shocked after that game or to start that game, and you know, credit to Alabama for putting them in that position. But once the the wave of emotion fell off, Georgia was the better team over the final three quarters. And at the same time, we've seen a Georgia team that now beat Kentucky by one, scored six points in the first half against Clemson, and had what seven at halftime against Alabama? So this is slow starts. I think no longer can be excused away. I mean they're basically pittering away half of their meaningful snaps so far this season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that Kentucky loss. At the time, you know, not Kentucky lost that the close, close win against Kentucky, although it kind of looked like a loss because they fell in the rankings, But Georgia's had games like that before in the last two years, actually against teams they ended up not being that great. But I guess at this point it looks a little more like a tell However, you know, the Old Miss Kentucky game, I mean, did that? Did that tell you more about Kentucky or more about Old Miss?
Speaker 4: I definitely have more respect for Kentucky's defense than I did before. I don't think we can wipe that away as Georgia has just had an off night whatever.
Speaker 5: Clearly Kentucky has.
Speaker 4: Earned has earned respect and had a lot to do with why Georgia played so poorly. And then the Old Miss I never bought that they were the number six team in the Country anything like that. But I thought, I guess, shame on me, because I thought that scoring fifty on Wake Forest and seventy six on Firmament, the minimum they'd score on Kentucky would be, you know, twenty four to twenty eight. And I overlooked what paper tigers and what frauds that program is. So I'm disappointed that they're even ranked at all this week because what isn't it?
Speaker 2: But isn't it? Also it's not just the program.
Speaker 3: I'm like, you know, Lane Kiffin's a fine coach, but like he really hasn't really ever accomplished anything as a head coach. And I you know, saying that, it's not like a it's not a hot take, it's not like, you know, it's not crazy. But I think just the perception of Lane and I guess the momentum that Old misscarried into this year, Like, really, that result isn't that surprising when you consider Lane Kiffin as a coach.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, I mean he's had He did beat Penn State in the Peach Bowl last year, but Penn State hasn't beaten anyone worth a crap in ten years.
Speaker 2: They're kind of similar.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I mean I went on our podcast this past year or this this past August and said that ole Miss was the second biggest paper Tiger program in the country to Penn State. And then I went out there and totally forgot that and thought that there's no way they'd lose to Kentucky.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean the Kentucky got hammered by South Carolina and that was the result that I think stuck out with a lot of people and they were close with Georgia. But yeah, I mean, that was a huge win for Mark Steps, probably the biggest win of his career, just considering where ole Miss was ranked. But I think if you're Kentucky, you still trying to figure out who you are. I mean, still of it an impressive win, But which one are you?
Speaker 1: Are?
Speaker 3: You more likely the team that you know can get stops and find a way to win against a great Ole Miss team or a team that somehow makes no sense. Even more so now it's been weeks removed, but that lost to South Carolina was just was really really bad. But Zack Bournetta Football Scoop is our guest joining us here talking some college football. Right now, Let's say, of these five teams, Texas Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, Tennessee. Would you say, would you take one of those teams or the field to win the national championship? I think I know the answer, but I'll let you answer.
Speaker 5: Just by pure odds, it have to be Ohio.
Speaker 2: State, Okay, of those, I mean go ahead.
Speaker 4: Of those are the conference So I think anybody, if you're just playing pure odds, would have to take a lot of state.
Speaker 3: Who do you think is maybe know who would you say outside of those five could could realistically find themselves, you know, as a as a title contender, And there may be more than just one. But it just seems as if right now those are the teams that have all the momentum as far as looking like they may actually be able to win the whole thing.
Speaker 4: Outside of those five, I think you have to go, honestly, I mean, Miami, really.
Speaker 5: You just you look at the way the bracket breaks.
Speaker 3: I mean I say, really like, I'm surprised, Zach, But I can't. I can't give you another one that would that would be you know that I think would be more deserving.
Speaker 4: Actually yeah, I mean if the season ended to day, they're there have a clear spot to the number three seed, and then you're you're gonna have to beat somebody really good in the in the quarterfinals, and that's not gonna be easy, but nobody has an easy spot through the quarterfinals. And then after that, I mean, can't they The baseline talent on that roster has clearly risen. They're good on the offensive lines, and Kim Ward is just a a baller and gives them a chance to win every single game.
Speaker 3: They haven't lost yet and they're still ranked number six, but it kind of feels like a team that had a lot of momentum and they just haven't really looked the part as Oregon. What do you think, I mean, are they a team that, from what you've seen, you're kind of not out on necessarily, But like, I feel like there were a lot of people that thought they could potentially be a title contender. I'm not saying that you thought that, but it just kind of seems like they've been able to stay unbeaten. But a lot of their momentum kind of seems to the perception of them this year just kind of doesn't seem to fit with what a lot of people thought they would be saying after a month end of the season.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they really struggled to run the football and hit explosives early in the season. That's gotten better as the season gone along.
Speaker 5: They have the Ohio.
Speaker 4: State game here in a couple of weeks that will obviously go a long way towards telling us.
Speaker 5: How good they really are.
Speaker 4: I think, based on how they started, I think they're an appropriate place to kind of idle in the lower half of the top ten.
Speaker 3: All right, so the ACE, I'm sorry, the SEC and the Big Ten. We found out last week that they're gonna gather sounds like it's taking place this week, might be taking place right now, I'm not sure, maybe it's next week, but they're going to talk about a lot of things, including the College Football Playoff. It sounds like there are reports that they want four guaranteed spots for each conference. I mean, what do you think if you're a fly on the wall there in these meetings. Let's maybe say, not only a fly on the wall when they're discussing amongst each other, but when they're discussing it to everybody that's involved in the college football Playoff? Is their pitch just going to be, Hey, we have all the power and we're bullies. I mean, I know they wouldn't word it that way, but that kind of seems like what this is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I they have thirty four of those schools.
Speaker 4: And there's at rise of right now one hundred other in the SBS, and there's more power in those thirty four than there's the other one hundred.
Speaker 5: So I think, based off what we've seen in college football, everyone doubt for.
Speaker 4: Themselves and they're going to divide the world and try to range the world as best benefits themselves.
Speaker 5: So I fully expect that.
Speaker 4: They're going to come out of that of those conference rooms with their plan for a fourteen team bracket starting in twenty twenty six, with the top two seeds and then the only two buys reserved for their respective champions, and then three auto bids after that, which I am fully against.
Speaker 5: I think would be terrible. I love the quirk.
Speaker 4: Of the ACC and the Big twelve champion we assume also getting buys.
Speaker 5: And I think the fact.
Speaker 4: That you could start a season being like, you know what, as long as we finished fourth in our conference, we got a guaranteed shot or we have a guaranteed spot in the playoffs. I think that's terrible and I'm against it anybody stopping it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that that was gonna be my next question, and I don't think there's an answer at least as of now, Like how do you prevent this? Like, and this is one of those things that if they if this ends up working out for them, meaning the SEC and the Big Ten, it's only a matter of time before they decide to be bullies again, right, like they I mean again, and clearly they are the best leagues when it comes to their value, right the elite. I mean, it's not like anybody would tell you that they aren't the two best leagues for the most part. But I don't know, Like part of me says, this is just what commissioners are going to do looking out for league members, and the job's never done. You're always trying to do what's best and take advantage of the leverage and power that you have. But it also just seems absurd to me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it seems like a half measure towards.
Speaker 4: What most people believe is the ultimate final resting place, which is scooping up the remaining brands that they deem valuable to get to a final number of forty or fifty or whatever that number is, creating your own league from there and then just having a championship amongst yourselves and not even bothering to include the other eighty schools.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I'm with you, I'm against it, but wouldn't shock me at all if if that's what ends up happening. We do have some realignment going on here with the Mountain West and the Pack twelve, which is really just like the Mountain West Extra or the Mountain West Plus. I mean, who do you feel like right now is in position to say they're the better league because it's essentially the same. I mean, to me, there's not a big difference between these two overall. You know, let's let me go back up a second. When it comes to the leftovers from the Power five in the previous world, that's Oregon State, Washington State.
Speaker 2: How did they get here? Like, why do you feel like they.
Speaker 3: Just didn't join the I mean, I feel like they would have been better off just joining the Mountain West because now they're essentially just trying to disguise themselves as something that is not what they are.
Speaker 4: From my understanding, there's a lot of money tied up in the Pac twelve contracts and all the money that Oregon and Washington all then paid to get out, that money they can access easier if they remain in the PAC twelve, and this way they can swoop in and get the schools that they really want, the the value such that there is of the Mountain West and take the top five schools and then not have to worry about paying a share to San Jose State in New Mexico and schools that don't.
Speaker 5: Move the needle. I mean it's the same.
Speaker 4: I mean the ACC did the same thing to the Big East all those years. Yeah, it's the same pattern we've seen repeated for twenty straight years now. And it's just sad that there's no one within college sports that has the power to say, you know what, we're not doing this. We're going to organize in the structure that makes the most sense for the most.
Speaker 5: Amount of people.
Speaker 4: Maybe not perfect sense for everybody, but the best for the greater good.
Speaker 3: If you were a fan of one of these teams that was either one of these schools, I should say that it was either deciding to remain loyal to the Mountain West and re up or move on to this new version of the PAC twelve. What would you prefer, because again, they're kind of the same. I found it to be pretty you know, not that all of them did, but to see that some schools were like, yeah, we're just going to stay in the Mountain West. Like, I don't know, I feel like it's a rare when it comes to realignment, deciding to stay put whenever you do have an option to go elsewhere potentially for some more money.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I think there's still power in Brandon. Like UTEP officially joined the Mountain West today, and that's a conference they've been trying to get into since it formed twenty five odd years ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're winners in this whole thing, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think even though it's a water down version of what it originally was, I think they're still stoked to say they're in the Mountain West. And I think Boise State fans, the Colorado State fans are stoked to say that they're in the PAC twelve, even if it's a shrunken husk of what it used to be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the way this whole thing played out with the deadline to decide what you're going to do, like while the football season's going on because it's two conferences that like nationally, don't.
Speaker 2: Move the needle.
Speaker 3: It didn't get a lot of attention, but I kind of feel like the way this played out, it was an old timer when it comes to realignment.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because they obviously they had a scheduling agreement that was in place for this season and with the idea of you know what, in time, we'll we'll work something out to merge and all fourteen of us will we'll have a solution that works the best. And then at some point that relationship soured over money. The Mountain West wanted more money from the Pac twelve schools than they were willing to pay, so they were just like, you know what, we don't need you guys, So we're just gonna We're gonna come raid your coffers and take your five best teams and suck it.
Speaker 2: Essentially, that's essentially what happened.
Speaker 3: All right, last question for you right now, who do you think not We'll get it in again. I'm asking you to predict the future essentially here, who do you think will be the Heisman Trophy winner this season?
Speaker 4: Well, last time you asked me, I said Jalen Milroe and that answer looks only more correct as the time goes on, So I'm gonna stick with that, all right.
Speaker 3: So Travis Hunter, I mean, I don't have a problem with anybody claiming that guy as as talented as anybody in the country. He is sensational and he's worthy of all the praise that he gets. But let's say Milroe falls off, which I don't see happening. Like if Travis Hunter ends up winning this award in Colorado, and again, they look really good now compared to what they look like a few weeks ago, So maybe they end up having a really good season. But like, if they're a seven and five type team and he's able to win, it wouldn't that kind of prove that the Dion hype was worth something because he's great, But like part of why he's such a known player is because of the whole story of how he followed Dion to the FCS level and then followed him to Colorado, And like, you know, I'm not gonna say he wouldn't be deserving, but like that would like he's also benefiting from Colorado. They could lose every game, they're still gonna get on national television and they're gonna be talked about. That's not to discredit him, but it kind of feels like the one rare thing where you could benefit from. You know, even if they keep losing and he keeps playing well, I still think he's gonna get his accolades, which is which doesn't usually happen in football. Right, you could be really great, but if your team is not great, you're not going to get the same amount of love.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that's exactly right.
Speaker 4: And I think it would be the one instance of someone that's not a Deon Sanders family member attaching themselves to Dion and coming out better on the other end than they started, well said, which would be breaking a trend.
Speaker 5: But I mean, I.
Speaker 4: Think that if his numbers stay where they are in Colorado wins seven games, I would be thrilled to see.
Speaker 5: Him win the Heisman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's special.
Speaker 4: In a world where Dion never enters coaching, Travis Hunter would be at FORDT State right now, and who knows if you'd be playing both ways.
Speaker 5: But I mean, Florest State looks like it's.
Speaker 4: On its way to a four and eighth season and he would not be in the Heisman conversation there, So yeah, I think I think he has benefitted from that, and and if so.
Speaker 5: Good for him. It's a shame.
Speaker 4: This is an old Bill Simmons idea, But it's a shame that there's not some sort of threshold to where we just give out one Heisman for if if you have such a badass season, we're gonna give you a Heisman trophy no matter. And if you don't reach that word, maybe we just won't give out a Heisman this year. I saw the because someone posted Ashton Janty's numbers through this point in the season compared with other Heisman running backs, and it reminded me how disappointing and spare it was that mark Ingram won it in two thousand and nine.
Speaker 5: Yep, so I'd love to see.
Speaker 4: You know, if no one rises to that level, then hey, no one won the Heisman this year. But if if Milroe and Hunter and Janty continue at their pace, then hey, let's give out three Heismans this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Those, I mean, all those guys are special. Yanty is, I mean, he is He's appointment viewing. If you just like seeing dudes run all over people, and in any moment, you won't be shocked if he takes one of the house. So yeah, he's been he's been sensational, and you've been sensational, Zach. As always, we appreciate you making time for us. Enjoy your week and we'll talk soon.
Speaker 5: Brother, sound good? Thanks?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 3: That Zach Barnett a Football scoop dot Com. Good stuff as always. I remember Endomican suet Nebraska not winning the Heisman in whatever year that was. He had some couple of really good years there. I remember thinking to myself, all right, a defensive guy will never win it. And then, really, you know, let's be real, it's not just about how good you are as a player. It's about how good your team is. All right, quick break, We'll come back on the other side. Keep this thing rolling along. It is coffee and Company, and we are feel about Thorton's right here on SportsTalk seven ninety. We're talking about the conference realignment that's going on between the new PAC twelve and the Mountain West.
Speaker 2: And for those that are interested, it may not be many of you.
Speaker 3: In fact, if you are interested, it may just be because of the basketball side of a. Gonzaga is going to be joining the new PAC twelve as a basketball only member. Which certainly will benefit them. And it's still like you can still say the same thing you've said about Gonzaga basketball, but you know, it's just not as bad as it used to be. And what I mean by that is, yeah, they're good. They've proven by the way to be legit. I mean, they've made the Sweet sixteen I don't know how many times consecutively, but they've Their streak currently is the longest streak in college basketball, and it may be the longest streak, like one of the longest streaks ever in college troops as far as that many consecutive trips to the second weekend, so they were in the West Coast Conference playing you know, I mean, Saint Mary's would be the only school I think in the last I don't know, Five's b why you left the league at one point, and then after that it was really only Saint Mary's they could consistently give them any any real challenge. San Francisco would have a decent team every now and then, but like you know, Loyola, Marymount, Pacific, Pepperdine, Portland, Saint Mary's, San Diego, San Francisco, Santa Clara. I mean that that was a league that like, no matter what happened in that league, you could always say that, like you knew from January on, Gonzaga was not going to play anybody that is going to challenge them. And to be fair, it never hurt them as bad as as I thought it would.
Speaker 2: Like it. They never got shell shocked.
Speaker 3: I mean, they've lost, but like you know, they would get to the second Again, there's sweet sixteen streak. Let me see if I can pull it up here and see and see if I how many times it's been, because I was about to say a big number and I'm thinking, well, wait a second, it hasn't been hasn't been that long, has it? So, yeah, Gonzaga has been to the Sweet sixteen. The last time they didn't go to the Sweet sixteen was in twenty fourteen. So ten straight years they've been to the Sweet sixteen. I mean, that's pretty insane if you think about it. But they might have got there because they got a really good seed, because they had a really good record and a lot of those wins came against those teams that just mentioned, so getting there it's impressive. But like you can also claim, well, yeah, if they were gifted a really high seed, because they had nearly thirty wins. A lot of teams could probably do that. So again, now as you know, as of now, they're going to be playing against well, I don't know, I guess this starts in what twenty maybe twenty twenty six. I don't know when they leave. But Washington State, Oregon State, Colorado State, Boise State, Utah State, Fresno State, and San Diego State. Those are currently the members of the new PAC twelve. So that you know, Gonzaga is playing better teams than they used to play in league play, but it's still going to be a weaker league than the Power five. And there is still a Power five, by the way, in college hoops because the PAC twelve is gone and the Big East exists only in basketball. As far as the Mountain West, you've got Air Force, Nevada, New Mexico, San Jose State, UNLV, and Wyoming and then Hawaii is going to be a football only member in the Mountain West. Or maybe they are. I think they are. Now, Maybe that sound right. I know they're you're you're on the right track. You may be exactly right, but I don't.
Speaker 6: Know for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah they're.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're currently in in Yeah, they're they're a league member only in football because you know, football pays the bills, and you know, they gotta they gotta. You know, they need the money that they get from their current Mountain West arrangement to fund everything else. And they don't i mean, traveling any other sport from Hawaii to play. You know, a twenty or eighteen game league schedule in basketball just isn't isn't feasible. I think they're in the Mountain West in football and in basketball. I think they might be in like the WCC or the maybe the WHACK.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: All right, it's coffee and Company. Feel by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Appreciate you guys hanging out with us. Some breaking news in the NFL that has kind of been brewing, and that is that DeVante Adams has let the Raiders know he wants to be traded. And he's a good player. Obviously he's got you know, Gardner Minshew as his quarterback, and I'm sure that's actor and why he's not happy. But you know, i'd be careful. You know, Diva receivers being Diva receivers in multiple different spots I guess it doesn't mean you won't get an opportunity, but I don't know. You got to think his best days are probably behind him. But if somebody can get him on a good deal, he could be a real nice weapon, a nice piece to add to a team that is already pretty good. Just give him another weapon, give him to Lamar Jackson. I'd love to see him with another receiver he's already got. I mean, that's not to say that he doesn't have good weapons this year, because you're seeing now what Lamar can do whenever. He's got a lot of help. And it made no sense how they lost early on. But you could also chalk it up to, hey, some new pieces, everybody's kind of getting used to each other. But they look really good in the last two weeks, and they just completely took it to a team that before Sunday Night everybody said was the best team in the NFL.
Speaker 2: That's the Buffalo Bills.
Speaker 3: So nice to see them respond with wins against Dallas and wins against Buffalo these last couple of weeks. After a close loss to Kansas City on the road to open the season and then a head scratcher at home to the Raiders. By the way Derrick Henry, I don't know if it's because he played I don't think anybody would tell you that Derrick Henry like isn't really good. But maybe it's because he played for a team that's never really accomplished anything. And yes, I'm taking a shot at the Titans because they're a division rival with my Colts. But I don't know people ever realize, like, since he's entered the NFL, Derick Henry has been like, he's been really good. And yes, running backs do slow down. They age much different than any other position in the NFL, There's no doubt about it, right, but he never really showed signs of that, and the Titans let him walk. Jerry Jones didn't want him, and he made it clear by the way Derrick Henry did that he wanted to be in Dallas. And now they got, you know, they got old ass isekil Elliott still trying to you know, revive his career back in Dallas. He's not the only running back, but it is funny to see him, I mean, and he's a great example.
Speaker 2: By the way. I don't feel like is he Elliott's that old? He's not.
Speaker 3: But as an NFL like running back, you just now know, if you've been around as long as is Uh as he has, you're considered a grandpa in the NFL at that position. But here's some numbers that really I think put in perspective how good Derreck Henry's been in the NFL since two thousand, so the last twenty four years. The best yards per carry on career carries two thousand and beyond. So like, if you've had two thousand carries, here are the guys who had the most yards per carry. Lashawn McCoy three point nine to three, Adrian Peterson four point oh three, Ladanian Tomlinson four point oh four, Marshawn Lynch four point two to two. That was five through two. Number one nearly two more yards per carry better than Marshawn Lynch is Derrick Henry. I mean it's not just I mean it can He's not, as you know, he's not played as many years as those guys did. But currently a guy that's been in the league for how long win did Derrick Henry enter the league? Again, I feel like he's been in the league forever. But I think I think I'm viewing it that way because we're talking about a running back, and those guys play one year, it might as well count as four. And that's what it kind of seems like. He's thirty years old. He entered the league in twenty thirteen. So this is a guy that's been a running back in the NFL for ten years and he's not slowed down.
Speaker 2: John, If you ever get bored, becaich. I don't think you do get bored.
Speaker 3: You always stay busy, all right, yeah, I think you're you eliminate boredom quickly. I try to he You'll find the way you're productive. You'll find something productive to do. But if there ever is a chance where you get bored, go look at Derrick henry high school highlights, not just because the guy was unstoppable, but it truly looks like he was a video game created player playing against young small children. It would be like Will Clark big sasquatch right him playing in my son's four and five year old flag football league. That's what it looked like when Derrick Henry was playing high school football. That used to occasionally show those highlights during his NFL games because it was just it's like something you'd never seen before. So Anyways, there's your NFL news of the day. I mean, we can get into more NFL stuff later, but you know, I don't really want to transition to that as far as other NFL stuff, because we're you know, I got to keep this show on track. John, I missed you yesterday because without the music to kind of guide me for an exit, clock management way off. And that's not Austin's fault. That's just something I gotta I gotta be aware of. Right, we've gone to the bench. We bring in Austin, who does a great job, but you know he's he's he's he's our filling, right, he's the guy who and we love him, but like he you know, he's probably just gonna let me ramble and John I had and by the way, I did have to tell John, look, you I need you to play this music because if you don't, we're gonna end up having a very mismanaged clock each and that's not good for the show.
Speaker 2: And John has done a great job with that.
Speaker 3: And I'll I'll tell Austin next time because I think, I mean, I think you've always been great to work with. But I remember being pretty adamant, like no here's what you do. You play me if you even if I even if you feel like I'm in the middle of something, and I got a lot more to go. Play the music and I'll find the next sit There is a threshold I always look out for, and it and it and it's needed, so so so thank you real quick before we before we take our next time out. NFL. I'm not NFL NBA media day stuff is like not. I mean to me, it's not. I don't find it entertaining. I mean, I'm an NBA fan, but I actually feel like my my love of the NBA has faded a lot in recent years for unknown reasons. But this is my favorite stories thus far as NFL or not NFL NBA meet teams around the league or having media days, press conferences, all that kind of stuff. This is a really good team prank. It's harmless, but it's also really funny. So there's a guy by the name of John kung Car who I got to admit, not familiar with on Cancar, but he is a four year guy. He's been in the league since twenty nineteen. He was drafted by the Memphis Grizzlies, played for their g League team, but he recently signed a three year, nineteen million dollars contract extension with the Grizzlies, So he's been in the le know, but he's been a guy that's always been probably like third string for being honest, grinded his way up for the Memphis Hustle in the G League and then he got an opportunity to sign a three year deal. So he's not a recognizable NBA player, and really not even a recognizable guy for his own team because he didn't play a whole lot. So he saw one of the players that the Grizzlies recently drafted, Jalen Wells, who was the second round pick out of Washington State, and he showed up. These are teammates, and he saw his new teammate meeting the veteran can Car. He saw him and approached him and played a little prank on him that I thought was hilarious.
Speaker 6: I see him at a Wheredelia Is. I'm with my girlfriend at the time, and I'm just like, hey, I'm gonna go up to him because I've never met him yet. I wasn't in Vegas or anything. I haven't met him yet. I see him over there, I'm like, hey, I'm asking him for a picture. See recognized me, like follow me and take a picture. So I go up to him and I'm like, hey, I'm John, I'm a huge Grizzlies fan. Can I please take a picture with you? I shook his hand and everything. So my girlfriend's behind me and just taking a picture, and I'm like, dude, I appreciate it. Good luck this season, and then we just walk away.
Speaker 7: I took the picture and I walked around the corner. The cashier came out to me and said, do you know you just take a picture with John? Teld me his name was John, and then he was like, no, it's your teammate John conshar.
Speaker 5: That makes sense.
Speaker 7: That makes a lot of sense, because it was slightly awkward when we took the picture, like something was up I see him.
Speaker 2: Is that I mean that is that a fair prank to play on a rookie. I think it's hilarious.
Speaker 3: I mean I kind of feel bad for the rookie because if it was me, I would feel terrible.
Speaker 2: But also I think con what they call him, I think I said it incorrectly.
Speaker 3: He's well aware of like he the reason he did it is because he probably knew. Yeah, there's a good chance this guy he's now my teammate, he's a rook I'm kind of a vet now he didn't know who I am, And.
Speaker 2: That's not really that crazy.
Speaker 3: But you wouldn't want to be the new guy at work, especially in that line of work, and not know everybody on your team, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: It's just though, Yeah, of course, pretty funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but yeah, I thought that was pretty well. But that's my favorite story so far of NBA Media Days, which got to be honest with you, it's the only story I've I've seen, so it'll probably be the only one that I really care about.
Speaker 2: But let's get to a quick break.
Speaker 3: We'll come back on the other side, finish up the four o'clock hour again. You know I I shared with you the tweets if you're not on Twitter, what John Rostein had to say about his trip to Louisville to see the Cards practice. But he did give a little like a thirty five second.
Speaker 2: Up.
Speaker 3: He did a video that he put up on on his Twitter that kind of describes what he thinks Louisville can do this year and whatnot. And we'll let you hear it on the other side, it's Coffee and Company. We are feel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven n some more NFL breaking news that may interest you may not. But Von Miller for the Bills, you know, still one of the best teams in the NFL, has been suspended by the league for four games, meaning he'll be out until October twenty eighth. And the reason is because he's violated the NFL's personal conduct policy. And there hasn't been any official reason given other than that. But he was accused of felony assault last year. He of course denied the allegations. The alleged victim eventually recanted. So I guess what this means is that the alleged victim probably cooperated with the NFL, which I don't know. Just not to defend anybody who potentially assaulted somebody where it was, you know, a felony type issue, not to defend those people like they shouldn't be punished, but I don't know, just I feel like there's dudes who have clearly it's been proven that they've done some awful stuff and they have not got a suspension like this before. But anyways, a big day in the NFL, which apparently when it comes to Hopkins, uh uh not Hopkins.
Speaker 2: Adams, the Raiders are, you know.
Speaker 3: Reportedly, I think it might have been Chefter who said that the Raiders want a second round pick and additional compensation if they're going to give up DeVante Adams, which I don't know. If you're if you're a team that feels like your window is shrinking as far as making a run to a Super Bowl, I think you could give up a second round pick for this guy. I mean, he's talented enough. Obviously, you know, his best football's probably behind him. But still he's you know, I can see many teams being interested in, uh in taking a run at him? All right, five oot two five seven seventy nine hundred is the number. If you guys want to give us a call. You can also text in on the Ellen and Federal Credit Union text line. A lot of text I want to get to.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: I don't think you guys get notified when I do this, but like I can favor it and like a text that that puts it in like a separate window for me. So there's a lot I want to get to, but I'll save that with the o'clock hour. But for now, let's go to the phone lines again, five or two, five to seven, one seventy nine hundred. Let's welcome in Gary, Gary. You're on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 8: What's up, hey, Nick, Cardinals fan.
Speaker 2: Love your show me, thank you appreciate that.
Speaker 8: And I was just had a question I heard I think you said this on the air. I don't know how long ago, but did not Kentucky have to forfeit a bunch of games?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: They they had to forfeit I think it was ten wins during that twenty twenty one season. Yeah, and there might have been some additional games attached to other seasons. I'm not quite sure, but yeah, when that happened, it was really just that one season they had where they won ten games that you know, technically was vacated.
Speaker 8: So I was just wondering why that hasn't made much news. If Louisville have done that, Oh my god, people have heartdack.
Speaker 5: Kentucky.
Speaker 2: I mean it was.
Speaker 3: Well get away with it by who you mean, like in the court of public opinion or what, because I mean obviously they were punished. Let me here's what I think happened. We now know that what they're accused of doing that led to them, and again they did it, they accepted the punishment. That's now a big part of how college sports works. I mean, they had players that were making money for jobs they didn't really have. I think that's what ended up being what happened. And yeah, technically at the time it wasn't allowed, which is why they were punished with wins being vacated. But I think the shock value and you know, it's just not there anymore because you know, here we are just three years removed from that season and now every player playing high level college sports is probably you know, making money from some type of nisle arrangement or not. So you know, i'd say, you know, I'd say that's probably why it wasn't a bigger story, just because now you know, when you talk about players getting paid, you're talking about, Hey, I hope our team has the money to pay players because you need to do that now. It used to be, man, we better not get caught paying players.
Speaker 8: Yeah yeah, okay, the lot will get a win back from them in them.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So uh, it's really silly because they vacate your wins, but they don't actually give the wins to the to the other teams, so like apparently nobody played that day.
Speaker 2: It's kind of silly, but.
Speaker 3: We at least at least the streak that we have against Kentucky that I hope comes to an end. It's now at least one loss less.
Speaker 2: Technically, So there you go.
Speaker 8: There you go.
Speaker 2: Thanks for the call, Gary, I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean again, I I mean it was talked about. In fact, in fact, I think it probably would have been even less of a of a story slash talking point if Stoops didn't like ignore it for a while, right like he later came out and I think he gave a pretty honest answer. But if you remember, like they did media day that day and then they did the news dump after all the reporters left like they'd you know, because they you know, it was just a what if your Barnhart and your Stoops. I guess if it was something that was looked at as like a big time no no, now, you probably would have been in front of it a little bit more and wanted to address it. But because of where we are now with college sports, like I kind of get why they were just like, you know, who cares I mean, still it's not a good look, but it'd be a much different situation if that happened and it was still something now that like wasn't allowed. Now it's not only allowed. You better be damn good at making sure players are getting paid or you're not going to have success. All right, let's finish strong here. We got another hour to go and a lot more to get into. I will finally let you hear that John Rostein piece of sound. I do want to talk a little bit more about Louisville Live because I'm not the guy that's usually gonna tell you, hey, we better really show out because there's going to be high school kids here. We want to impress them. Like to me as a grown up, it just kind of you know, I understand it's important. But there's one guy coming to Louisville Live that, like I am gonna say it, Please show up and make Louisville basketball look really good because this is a guy that is really special. So we'll get to that in a lot more. It is coffee and Company, and we are fueled bout Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety