Speaker 1: Welcome to the Trauma Therapists podcast. My name is Gaming Person. I interview incredible people who've dedicated their lives to helping those who've been impacted by trauma. A big thank you to our sponsors and our guests who are supporting this show. The five four and one, our folks, welcome back to the podcast. I'm very excited to have us my guest today. Ama Tanasanti, Ama welcome.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. I appreciate being here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you are welcome. Excuse me. I'm a first encounter of the dharma in nineteen seventy nine and was a Buddhist nun for twenty six years in the ajan Chah forest tradition. She's been teaching intensive meditation retreats internationally since nineteen ninety five, combining the precision and rigor of the forest tradition with compassion, pure awareness practices, and passion for wholeness. Her teaching emphasize is deep listening, authenticity, inquiry, and presence while supporting people from diverse communities and cultivating belonging and connect through awakening truth. Alma integrates meditation with trauma informed approaches, encouraging people to pause to inquire into the present moment and falls to personal growth and healing. All right, i'ma just a little bit about you before we get going, and share with our listeners where you're from originally and where you are currently.
Speaker 2: I was born in southern California in Los Angeles and escaped as soon as I was old enough, and right now I'm living in where I am speaking from, Ajihik, Mexico.
Speaker 1: Okay, So how does this start? How does all this start for you?
Speaker 2: Well? Good question. I think my introduction to the DAMA started in nineteen seventy nine when I wandered into a class on religions of India taught at the University of California at Santa Cruz by a remarkable human being by the name of Jack Angler. And Jack was a visiting lecturer and had been a practitioner himself and was both a clinical psychologist as well as somebody who was deeply involved in the DAMMA. And so from the very beginning I had a real passion for the DAMA, and my love and respect for Jack really instilled in me a quality of like what's possible when a person is integrating both classical DUMA and psychological depth.
Speaker 1: To find the dama for our listeners.
Speaker 2: Thank you. You know, I come steeped in the Buddhist world, and so I forget that not everybody on the old planet knows what the dumba is. The dumma on in a broadway, means the truth and in a universal way, it's just the laws of nature. In a Buddhist perspective, it's the teachings of the Buddha, his what he spoke about. It's the teachings that we can practice. And so the Dama has many different levels to it, meanings to it.
Speaker 1: So you're sitting in this class by this visiting lecture and something ignite in you totally. But what specifically was it?
Speaker 2: So what was it? It was the possibility of being free, and the freedom had different dimensions to it. First of all, what I was hearing made sense in a way that I had never heard of. Framework made sense in that kind of way before. So it had a framework that explained why suffering is, how we can move through it, and that there are choices that you can make that can actually take you out of suffering and practices that you can do to support that. So there was a framework of teachings that made sense. That made me feel excited that there was possibility that I didn't know about before. But what was more exciting even than that was his presence. So Jack Engler is an exceptionally articulate man who had practiced as a meditation practitioner for a long time and had understood from his heart what some of these teachings meant. So in addition to having precision and exquisite clarity, he had a heart that was deeply attuned and compassionate. And so I would ask questions. We would all ask questions, and he would respond to the human being underneath the question. And it was like, even if the theory didn't make sense, like I wanted to be like.
Speaker 1: That, you know, Okay, you got to hang on. So give me an example. Break that down. What do you mean by I know what you mean? But what does that feel like? What was specifically? What are we hearing here?
Speaker 2: Okay? So I'm seventeen. I had a million questions. Some of my questions was like, how does this relate to my stepmother? Like, you know, that's a really tough relationship. How do I translate that into something that makes sense to way I relate with her? So I asked him to ask if I could ask my questions, and so he was busy and I was busy, and the only time he had available to me was at ten o'clock at night. So I walked over to where he was living at ten o'clock at night. Two hours later, I left and he said, anytime you have more questions, come again. So it was his availability, it was his support, it was his encouragement, it was his presence, it was his untangling the human realm in terms of how do you apply these teachings in different, specific, challenging relationships. And it was his very loving, generous presence with me all of those things. It was like, I don't know what all these teachings mean as direct experience, but that that that I can say yes to, like one hundred percent, Like I want to be like that. I want to be somebody who is available and attuned and respond to human beings on that kind of a level.
Speaker 1: It's incredible when you we encounter that, when we meet that, that that authenticity, that presence you feel it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's a bullshit free zone for sure. Like there's there's you can't fake that.
Speaker 1: You know, you can't fake that, so how do things unfold for you after that?
Speaker 2: So that within a month of being in that class, I had a vision of being a nun. And nine years later I ended up going to the monastery that I heard about and asking if I could join in community, and I was welcomed and I stayed for twenty years. And the tradition is a remarkable tradition in terms of its capacity to bring forward teachings and practices that really help clarify where we get tangled up, the choices that we can make, and how we can learn to cultivate our attention so that when we're experiencing something that's difficult, we don't have to absorb into the difficulty. We can move back and forth between the direct experience and the knowing of that experience, And in that knowing there's quite a lot of space, quite a lot of ease, and quite a lot of freedom because the knowing doesn't have a tangle in it, even if what we're experiencing is difficult.
Speaker 1: I want to back up just a little bit, because you jumped, like twenty years you said, when I asked you how things unfolded, you said, well, nine years later you joined you became a nun. How did you decide to become a nun? I mean, that's such a huge decision. Not You're not like just a I'm going to study this, or I'm going to do my dissertation on this, or maybe I'm going to take a you go to group every week? No, how do you get to that point?
Speaker 2: So in my situation, after being a week in that class, I had unmistakable clarity that spiritual life was going to be the center part of my world. And within a month I had a vision of being a nun. And for every year I went on ten day retreats, and I had a daily practice, and I went on a three month retreat Wow. And then I went to Southeast Asia in order to meet some of the meditation masters that i'd heard about in the class with Jack. And on the way there or I was there, I was attacked by a bear. And the experience was life changing, partly because I lived, and partly because when I came through that, like, one of the things that just became really clear to me, was it in my mind? Obviously I have no idea what was going on in the bear's mind, but in my mind, the one thing that I could point to that made it possible for what happened on my side was because of the meditation practice that I had done. So even though I went to Asia with a very clear intention to explore whether it becoming a monastic was the right choice for me, this was a kick in the butt. And part of the reason why was because it was incredible that I survived it, but I did survive it, and having survived it, there was like before bear and after bear, and after Bear, there was no mistake that the only reason why I was alive was because of the meditation practice and training that I had done up until that point. So I was filled with faith. And when I went to a forest monastery in Thailand and saw the power of the practice and had faith in what the Buddha said, which was that if you're really sincere and genuine about cultivating a life of freedom, monastic life is a really powerful way of doing that.
Speaker 1: What does it mean to be a monastic, as you said, to become a nun, what does that mean?
Speaker 2: So in the tradition that I was ordained into, it means there's different levels of ordination, different levels of precepts. As an eight precepts As an Anagerica, we keep eight precepts. We don't eat food after noon, we shave our head, and we wear white robes. As a Ceilidurra, we had officially ten precepts, but we were keeping more observances that ended up being more like one hundred and thirty two. We didn't handle money, we didn't cook, we didn't drive, we didn't have a bank account, we didn't have We wore only robes. And so our life was a life of simplicity, of renunciation of service.
Speaker 1: And this was in Southeast Asia.
Speaker 2: No, it was in England.
Speaker 1: This was in England. And you did that for how long?
Speaker 2: I was a nun in the monastery there and then I left and I was an independent monastic for twenty six years.
Speaker 1: And did you hold down a quote unquote normal job.
Speaker 2: No. So as a monastic, we are our life is to live the dama with the precepts that we have, to practice meditation and to be in service. And the monastery is supporting us with basics of food and shelter and medicine and clothing robes, and so we are part of the community and the community supports us in those ways. So the normal job thing is not part of the picture.
Speaker 1: So I mean, obviously now you're things have shifted for you.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm no longer a monastic. I returned to life in twenty seventeen.
Speaker 1: I do what what what precipitated that change, that shift?
Speaker 2: So you know, when I ordained, partly because of the circumstances right before, I was rather motivated, and so the conviction that I had when I went into monastic life was to stay until I knew with conviction that it no longer served me. And so I had had doubt because they were challenging things that we were navigating. But doubt is not the same as conviction, and so I stayed until I knew with conviction that living the life of a monastic was no longer in my best interest. And I came to that conclusion when I realized that my aspiration for awakening was on parallel with my aspiration for wholeness, and that I didn't feel monastic life was able to support me in my aspiration for wholeness to the degree that I felt I needed to explore and realize that. So you leave, So I left the Yes, I left. Firstly, I left the Ajuancha tradition of formal affiliations with the Auguanchat tradition, and I lived as an independent monastic, and then I had a Bukunia ordination, a higher ordination, and I remained for until twenty seventeen, and then I returned to civilian life.
Speaker 1: How do you integrate, how do you make that transition?
Speaker 2: Well, that's a really beautiful question. And initially I was really excited and also like bemused, because I was in my fifties and all of a sudden, I was dealing with things that most people figure out when they're a teenager, you know, opening a bank account, getting a driver's license, figuring out what color you want to wear, what your style is, what your name is, like, all of these basic basic things I was trying to sort out in my fifties. Because I'd spent so many years living as a nun, I didn't know the answer, you know. So initially there was a tremendous amount of like bubble and pop and excitement about what this uncovery emergence discovery was going to be like. And then three months after or four months after I returned to civilian life, we were in the Santa Rosa fires, which was at that point the biggest fire that California had ever seen, and my health tanked, and so I was really really unwell and really struggling because I was trying to figure out a whole bunch of things as well as trying to figure out why I was so sick and get better.
Speaker 1: If I may ask, why were you so sick?
Speaker 2: Well, I think what happened was that we all evacuated and there was like three inches of ash that was over everything, and the ash there were five thousand buildings that burned, and half of them were businesses, so you can only imagine what was in that ash. And they were cleaning up and they took leaf blowers and I got a face full of the ash, and my health just went south. And I think I had underlying conditions that got activated because of the toxicity, and it took a long time to figure out what was what.
Speaker 1: There's this idea out there, you know, I mean, I feel we need people like you who were called to what to represent to be to help help us be present and honor that and live that. And there's and correct me if I'm wrong here, But there's often a kind of challenge to that, right like, okay, well, you're living this life on this mountain. What happens when you live? Why can't you do that in the city. Is it possible to do that in a civilian as a civilian, You know, there's a kind of this dichotomy.
Speaker 2: So there is a dichotomy, and part of it is because people don't really understand what practices and what meditation is and what monastic life is. So people have an assumption that when you're living in a monastery, everything is roses and there's no conflict, and that everything is offered to you and you don't have to work, and that's not true. You know, when you're living in a monastery, you're living in community. And anytime you're living in a community, there are people, and people are peoplish, whether they arenastics or whether they're not monastics, and you have to deal with peoplishness in terms of what gets stirred up and activated inside of you. And you know, as a monastic, we also worked, and so like I remember, I was the work none and we had a visiting well, we had an anagerica. And at the end of his time of being two years as a novice, he said that the hardest day of his time working was when he was helping the nuns work, and I was the work none making sure that he did all these things. So hard work was a lot of what we did. So the difference is that in a monastery, you have the support to keep the precepts, You have the support with basic requisites, and you have support incredible support for doing retreats and having times of solitude, as well as oftentimes extraordinary opportunity to hear excellent teachings. But life is life, no matter what your hairstyle, no matter what color you're wearing, no matter how much money you have, there's still what goes on in terms of what arises in your mind and how you relate to that. And so that basic experience of being human is something that everybody has in common, no matter what their lifestyle is. The difference is is that as a monastic, we are trained to learn how to cultivate our attention in a way where we can have choices about what we follow as opposed to what we enact in a way that might be different for people who are not exposed to meditation practices. And we are also living with ethical guidelines that encourage us to live with integrity and harmlessness and honesty, and in some living situations, in worldly situations, that's not so present. In fact, the opposite is encouraged. So there are some differences, but the basic challenge of being human is similar in whatever situation you find yourself in. So I'm no longer a monastic, but I continue practicing, and I continue seeing the choices that I have and seeing the patterns that get activated, and seeing the ways in which I can work with them or let them just roll out.
Speaker 1: So what are you doing now with awakening Truth? When did you found that? Tell us about that.
Speaker 2: That was founded in two thousand and nine, and it was a response to the fact that I was no longer living in a community and I needed to have organizational support in order for basic things to happen, and it has morphed over the years. Initially I was a monastic, and then I was a bikuni, and then I shifted to having more trauma informed teachings, so that I included learning how to work with trauma and implementing them in classical meditation instructions, and then more recently, in the last few years, I created a program called the Integrated Meditation program, because what I found was that as brilliant and liberating as the teachings were, they didn't include understanding of trauma. They didn't understand attachment wounding and how that impacts our ability to meditate, and it didn't have any frame of reference or about what narcissistic wounding is. So the attachment repair that the Integrated Meditation Program makes possible shifts are fundamental patterns so that we have more internal sense of safety, and so that we can also access more comfort and feel a sense of being valued and loved for who we are rather than for what we do, and to encourage ourselves to express ourselves, to explore, to play, and to have fun. And when these qualities are present and our patterns shift in accordance with the presence of them, rather than they were often formed because of the absence of them. And these fundamental patterns have a huge impact on our health, our well being, our internal sense of who we are, our relationships, our outlook on the world. It's global. So the Integrated Meditation Program is a six month immersive program designed to help people do this work.
Speaker 1: What does it mean to incorporate the principles of being trauma informed into meditation. What does that look like? Specifically, give us an idea.
Speaker 2: Okay, So in the classical teachings, they're the first instructions in the Sati Patana suta, which is one of the main sutos that tell you how to meditate is go to the root of a tree or to an empty hut or into an open field, sit down, close your eyes, and bring mindfulness present. That meditation instructions assumes you have enough safety to sit still, to close your eyes, and to bring your attention inward to what's happening in your body.
Speaker 1: To add to be alone in a field, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it presumes a level of safety that people who are navigating trauma often do not have. And so you can go on a meditation retreat feeling or thinking or hoping that the meditation retreat is going to be something that's going to be liberating, and can come out where you're just very activated and you're in worse shape than you were when you went in, because the instructions presume something that may not be there if you're navigating certain kinds of trauma or certain kinds of attachment wounding.
Speaker 1: How and when did you realize integrating trauma informed practices might be important or significant in this work.
Speaker 2: So I was carrying a lot of trauma and I wasn't aware of it. And then finally I began to put the pieces together and started working with a therapist, a trauma therapist, and noticing big differences. And then I also learned about attachment theory and became very excited because in the people are peoplish kind of scenarios in the monastery. Understanding attachment theory began to help me understand some of the behaviors that I couldn't make sense out of before, Like, how is it possible when you have a community of people who are committed to harmlessness, who have precepts that support them in harmlessness, that have practices that encourage them to understand what's happening in their own mind? How come things can happen in a way that there can be profound harm that results? Like how is that possible? And So in my own experience of what I lived through and in my own dedication, it wasn't that I was slack. You know, I think I counted up like fifty thousand hours of meditation. You know, it wasn't like this was just a weekend hobby, you know, and I could see that there were patterns in myself that hadn't resolved. So part of it was inward. Instead of asking how can I do more meditation? I started asking what else do I need? And then I began to find frames of reference that made sense for me. I began to look and think, oh, my goodness, this makes so much sense. Why there's so many things going on in the community that don't make sense otherwise?
Speaker 1: When you're beginning these meditations and cognizant of trauma informed practices, what are some things you might.
Speaker 2: Say or do so something simple like before you close your eyes, look around the room, look behind your shoulders, look behind your back. Notice the absence of danger in your visual field. When you recognize there's no actual danger in your visual field, do you feel comfortable to close your eyes? If you feel comfortable, close your eyes. If you don't feel comfortable, don't close your eyes. So each teaching, working with the body, and working with the hard and working with the frames of reference have a trauma informed component to it, which means that if we're dealing with trauma, or if the clients that we're working with or the students that we have are dealing with trauma. We need to understand some things rather than just presume that because the classical teachings have been around for twenty five hundred years, then they are what this student needs right now. So the adaptation is to understand the context where the classical teachings need contextualization and the practices need adaptation to bridge where somebody is as opposed to what is presumed.
Speaker 1: As we kind of wind down here, Ama, who would you say this integrated method, this integrated program is for.
Speaker 2: So if you've been a meditator for more than three years of various different kinds of traditions, and if you notice that patterns that you have are still alive, that you still are consumed by experiences of shame, or feeling that you're responsible for other people's feelings, or feeling like you're alone even when you're around people, or feeling a sense of like there's something fundamentally wrong with you. These kinds of patterns that haven't shifted. These are the kinds of patterns that shift. In the integrated meditation program. People come out of it feeling more safe in themselves, less vulnerable to harm, feeling their relationships improved, feeling that their ability to understand themselves and their meditation practice deepens. So if any of this is interesting to you, then what I would encourage is that you check out the free introductory session and see ask your questions, learn more about the program, and see if it might be a match.
Speaker 1: We'll have that link here up at the show notes at the Trauma Therapist podcast dot com on this episode of the show notes of this episode, you know it's I mean what you're doing, Ama, I love the way you've bridged, as you've been calling it, the classical practices of meditation and brought them to up to speed. If I can use that term up up of what's needed right now in our world and our culture to be able to meditate and gain what meditation affords us, how would you articulate that?
Speaker 2: So my first DOMA teacher, Jack Engler, really did a beautiful job. So he was renowned for saying you have to develop a self before you can let go of a self, and then twenty years later he changed it that it's not sequential, but you need to have an internal sense of cohesion and a sense of self alongside the practices of meditation. Which often are designed to let go of any identification with yourself as being solid or permanent. So psychological development and understanding who we are essentially go together. It's not that essential understanding is often enough to do the developmental work that for many of us didn't happen at the time that it could have or needed to or should have or what word you want to use. So I went into meditation thinking that all I needed was meditation and that if I meditated enough, it would resolve all the various different kinds of suffering that I had. But that's a very naive understanding. And after living in a dedicated practice environment for decades and realizing it wasn't doing that in myself and seeing how it wasn't happening in the community around me, I started rethinking. Rather than thinking that meditation was all that I needed, I began thinking what else can I bring? And then later what else can I develop and offer to support doing this work developmentally, both so that we have more sense of internal wholeness ourselves, but also so that we can get the fruits of meditation that meditation is designed for. Because one of the things that happens when we have this kind of wounding is that some of the deepest freedoms that are available in meditation we boch, we back away from because they activate something inside that feels like terrifying that we don't have the capacity to work with just with mindfulness. And so the real fruit, the real freedoms of meditation become unavailable when we haven't done some of the developmental work.
Speaker 1: I love it, Ama, How do people learn more about you and the program?
Speaker 2: So Awakeningtruth dot org is the website and it has on a page for the Integrated Meditation program. And I'm on social media on Facebook, on YouTube, on Instagram, and the links for all of that can be in the show notes. And a lot of my stuff is online, so wherever you are, you can find me.
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll have all those again. We'll have all those linked up here at the page at the Trauma Tripps Podcast dot com. On's awesome. I'd love to have you back. I really appreciate being here.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: This fort alrec Take care