Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray w BZ Coostin's new radio.
Speaker 2: All right, we're going to talk about White Stadium, UH it's future in Boston. Delighted to be joined by Boston Herald reporter Gala Caley. Hi, Gala, welcome back to Night's that. How are you?
Speaker 3: I'm good, Thanks for having me, UH.
Speaker 2: I know that you have followed this story very very closely. I have followed it, uh in the in the newspaper, the UH. The Herald has has done some great coverage on it. The Globe has covered it as well. But it is fair to say that the publisher of the Globe, Linda Pizzuti, UH, is also an investor UH in the the new women's soccer program. So just trying to stay with just the facts. I'm sure that we'll get callers later on during this hour who want to take a position one way or the other. Where do we stand at this point? Now? You reported in I guess it was this morning's newspaper about a protest yesterday protesting the ongoing demolition of White Stadium again because they intend to build this professional soccer stadium on the site. This train's moving down the track. It would seem to me.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, demolition works started last week, so the protest was basically going on while demolish work was taking place behind the protesters.
Speaker 2: Has has has the demolition work? I read your piece in the Globe today and said that there were the protesters were protesting the removal of some trees. Has the demolition work on the actual physical plant of the stadium begun?
Speaker 3: So right now it's more prep work for demolish and they haven't begun the physical work to take down the stadium, but they are on site doing.
Speaker 2: Work, and there's a hearing in Superior Court on March eighteenth. Is it possible that the demolition work will actually begin or maybe even be completed by time that hearing is occurring. It seems to me that March eighteenth is six at least six weeks away.
Speaker 3: I'm not entirely sure on the timeline, but the demolition work has taking place over the next two months, so I would think that while the trial is going on, there would be work going on to take down the stadium. So it's basically the city taking the down the stadium at its own risk. Said the Superior Court role in favor of the plaintiffs, we're trying to stop the project.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it seems to me that the plaintiffs should probably get into court and try to enjoin the demolition work. The reason I say that is I'm just referring to one of the paragraphs in your piece in Today's Globe said. The plaintiffs announced this week they have filed an expanded legal complaint in Suffolk Superior Court. The case is set to go to trial in March eighteenth. You know, the issues could the issue could be moved, set the stage for us. Who are the from You know, you've covered it obviously. The mayor is very committed to this. I think it's clear they had city council vote. I don't cover the council much, but it looked like a really interesting lineup. It ended up as a six to six vote. One councilor, I guess was absent or chose not to be there. I'm not sure which. Even if it had passed seven to six, I assume the mayor could have vetoed that that motion if even if it passed by that closer margin.
Speaker 3: Correct, correct. So the council was voting on a resolution which is non binding in nature. So even if the council had passed that resolution, the mayor was under no, she didn't have to comply with the council vote to call demolition.
Speaker 2: Okay. So I know it was a big hearing and all of that, but I didn't know if there was Okay, so set the bigger stage. The bigger stage is that there's a group that wants to renovate the stadium. I guess, demolish what's there and build a new stadium. It started off as a fifty million dollar project. I think you'll call them today said it's up to one hundred million dollars and that some people are concerned that the opponents say, according to your piece, that it could eventually end up two hundred million dollars. They would build a stadium where the women's soccer team would play play on the stadium field from March to November. I guess it wouldn't start until two thousand, as I understand, a year for now twenty twenty six. Give us the argument on both sides as you see it, and then I'll let you go. The protesters are essentially saying, don't tear this stadium down, fix it, but leave it for students in Boston, correct, right.
Speaker 3: So the opponents are trying to make the case and in their lawsuit that the project by transferring link to a for profit group, Boston UNI's Soccer Partners, which is the ownership group behind the new professional women's soccer team, that would be illegally privatizing public trust land. So that's their argument in the lawsuit. And the city is saying that they're proceeding with the plan and that it would increase use for Boston Public school students and basically rehab a dilapidated stadium that's been falling apart for decades.
Speaker 2: Has there been any thought I know that there's some at least conversation about a soccer stadium being built in Everett. I'm not even up to date. Do you know where that plan stands at this point?
Speaker 3: So the legislature approved the Economic Development Bill which included a stipulation that allows the Effett Stadium to move forward, which would be the new home of the New England Revolution. And the Craft Group is behind that plan, so that that's been approved by the legislature to clear the way to that, but that stadium hasn't been built yet.
Speaker 2: Right in the discussion, Yeah, at the timetable that would be a big stadium, as I understand it, that's something that's what at least two or three years at best in the future.
Speaker 3: I would think. So yeah, So that the Boston Stadium, they're trying to do demolitions for the next couple of months and continue construction into early next year and get it built so that the new women's team can basically take the pitch by March twenty twenty six.
Speaker 4: So my last.
Speaker 2: Question, and again thank you for helping us put this in context. Has there been any conversation if the Robert Craft proposal to build a big soccer stadium, I mean, I think it's substantially substantially bigger than what White Stadium would be in Effett. Has there been any conversation about having the women's soccer team maybe play next year for a season or two at Gillette. Soccer teams don't have you know, baseball like one hundred and sixty two games a year schedules. They generally play, you know, twenty twenty five games a year. I would assume that in that period of the year when the Patriots are not at home, there would be some dates available at Gillette. Has there any conversation about that with anyone, or is it just full steam ahead on this white stadium project.
Speaker 3: So I think there's actually been I saw some other reporting that there's been conversation about potentially using a soccer deal at Boston University. I think the larger conversation has been whether the new women's team should share use of the new stadium and effort with the men's team of having their own separate stadium built.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I it would seem to me, you know, going back when the when the Bruins shared the Boston Garden with minor league hockey team, the Boston Braves. I don't know. I think that I'm not mistaken. The Giants and the Jets share a football stadium in New Jersey. It's I wonder why the real I wonder why the reluctant interesting. Just the timing questions are interesting. Gala, thank you so much. I so enjoy your columns. They when I shouldn't say, your columns, your stories, the reports that you file, they're they're clear, and and that's why we've asked you back to kind of uh set the stage here for so thank you so much for for being the reporter that you are, and thank you so much for helping keep Boston in to newspapers.
Speaker 4: City great things.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: You're very welcome. Thanks Gayla Cawley of the Boston Herald, and you read her stuff every day in the Herald, and she's on top of this story. Now, what I want to do is I want to open it up and I want to give you folks an opportunity to weigh in whether you're in favor or opposed to the renovation or whatever you want to call it, demolition, reconstruction, however you want to call it. At White Stadium. I certainly think that White Stadium should be improved, there's no question about that. But whether or not there should be room for a women's soccer team and effort. If they build the stadium they expect out there, that's going to be a venue that might be underutilized. So let's have at it. If you live in Boston and you have strong feelings on it, we're going to be talking with another guest. I believe at nine point thirty Lewis Eliza, the president of the Garrison Torotter Neighborhood Association, And I think it's an interesting issue, particularly on the cusp of a campaign here. This is an issue that I think there are strong feelings on both sides. Our number pretty simple six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. I understand that every team would like to have their own stadium, but from a fiscal point of view and also from the comfort of a neighborhood point of view. The Celtics and the Bruins, they each play over eighty games a year, and that doesn't even include playoffs, and somehow can live together and find a schedule, as do a lot of professional hockey and basketball teams in different cities. I don't understand why any team, any professional sports team, particularly soccer, can't share a stadium. To me, it's it's kind of a question of economics. One on one. I wonder what's going on. Maybe you have some insights, join the conversation, coming right back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: Now, back to Dan Ray live from the Window World nights Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: So to me, it's an interesting story. Ironically, of course, Robert Craft is the apparently the builder or will be the uh, the the funder for the stadium and effort. His son Josh Graft is apparently on the cusp of formally announcing that he is going to challenge mayor who for mayor, So this becomes a really interesting political story as well. So love to hear from you, particularly if you are from the you know, Franklin Park community. Is this Do you see this as an upgrade to your community or do you see it as an opportunity for people from the outside to come in and actually turn a stadium in your community or a piece of land in your community into something that doesn't necessarily have great benefit to your community. I think it's a fascinating issue, particularly in an election year. Let me go to Phil in Boston. Phil, you are first this hour nightside.
Speaker 5: Go right ahead, lucky me.
Speaker 6: You know this thing is going crazy. Actually I never been to that stadium, but it wasn't that.
Speaker 5: That was believe.
Speaker 6: It was started under a guy named George Wright. Was white with a multi millionaire who dedicated to the land, including the zoo as they had a restaurant in that area. Also, it was dedicated to the city of Boston and it should be a historical landmark. I believe would not be given like a little to throw at them and it was non commercial, no deviation's license a CC.
Speaker 2: I'm sure that, I'm sure that all of those issues, Phil will be discussed. The White Stadium has for decades been the place where high school football is played for Boston schools, Boston Public schools, right, and so that has always been the place that high school football has been played. And of course the stadium has fallen into disrepair over time. It's not the it's not as as wonderful perhaps physically as it once was. And now you have a women's soccer team coming in and a little bit apparently has been let's knock.
Speaker 6: Down the statue liberty while we're at it. That's getting some kind of old tool. But I mean, I just thought you is all at traffic's going to be coming in there. I mean, we're packing to get the whole people. I mean, people can have a little peace and choir with a few trees, a few old trees. And why can't they enjoy your working all day paying the bills for the stuff, and what do they do? None of its just an opinion.
Speaker 2: Well yeah again, I I what part of Boston do you live in?
Speaker 6: Philm I live about ten miles from there, roughly that's fine. That may have wolves neighborhood.
Speaker 2: Actually Russindale, Okay, fine, well whatever the point is, you're not being impacted directly, but you have empathy for people who are being impacted directly. And again when you read the piece in the Boston Herald today, clearly there was a pretty significant demonstration yesterday. And yes, the demolition is going on, and that's happened in a lot of communities. You had, you know, runway expansions at Logan Airport, you know, forty fifty years ago, when the people in East Boston said, no, you know, we got too much air traffic noise. Now, yeah, rolled over, They got rolled over. And it happens a lot there was they were going to run the big road right through Roxbury and Dorchester and Mattapan and and uh they we're going to have, you know, an extension that you have all of these fights, and what happens is each community gets separated. It's interesting that you're the first person calling having empathy for your neighbors ten miles away in Boston. And I think that that that's credit to you, a credit to you. But I would hope to hear from folks who are more directly impacted, so they can talk about what it means to them. They do have a golf course down in Franklin Park, Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, Well that's not going to be impacted by this. This is the stadium, and of course there will be and I think a lot of people in Boston look at this and say, look, this is our stadium. We've paid taxes for years and years and years, and now some group with deeper pockets is coming in. So okay, I mean, well, yeah, you know again that that's an irrelevant issue because I would assume that that people will be able to if they want to go attend the games, they'll be able to buy tickets, drive there, et cetera. No I gotta I gotta run here because they want to get one more in before my break is always thanks, question called thank you good night. Let me go to Mike in Boston. Mike, you were next on nightside.
Speaker 7: Welcome, Hi Dan, how are you? We've talked off and on. We share a high school alma made together and I played my high school football there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that goes back when we were there in the eighties, seventies, seventies. Okay, go ahead, I didn't play football. In high school, I played hockey and baseball, So I'm glad to hear from you.
Speaker 7: Go ahead, I played hockey and baseball too. Anyway, you know, grew up in Jamaica. Plane this this thing makes no sense at all. I mean, it's an ego trip.
Speaker 4: Here.
Speaker 7: The mayor is trying to raise taxes and then spend one hundred million dollars on a stadium that doesn't make any sense. And why don't they use the model that the women's professional hockey team did. They're playing up at Lowell because they couldn't support at this juncture a new rank. And it's just an ego trip. And if you know Linda Henry, you know who has an ownership interest, so believes, and let's get her husband a stroke of check. I mean, it just makes no sense on any front to spend the taxpayer dollars for. And I don't live in Boston anymore, so it doesn't affect me. But she's out trying to raise taxes and the community doesn't want it. And you know it's funny. I had summer jobs with the NBC in Franklin Park and it's and it's a it's a beautiful area. But it's not that easily accessible. And if you look at it any infrastructure situation, you know, accessibility is the key. Look at all the money they had to spend and roote one in Foxborough. Uh uh uh, you know, to to finally get Jillette Stadium somewhat workable. So it's it's kind of sad to see a power play like this in the backs of the citizens of Bostin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I don't know what the cap of a newly constructed or a newly refurbished, however you want to characterize that stadium would be. But if they're gonna, let's say, have a stadium of even modest size, which would be fifteen thousand, I don't know what the capacity of White stadium is. You would know better than I since you played football there.
Speaker 7: I don't, But it's not that much.
Speaker 2: No, I'm no, I understand that. But what I'm saying is, you build a stadium let's say, let's say fifteen or twenty thousand. That's about the size of the seating capacity at the Garden, right, But I gotta tell you, I don't know where you're gonna put fifteen or twenty thousand cars in the Franklin Park area. There's a zoo that runs there. I don't know what time of day, what days of the week they're gonna have games. It's and of course.
Speaker 7: The has the garden has creator rail and rapid transits so people can park their cars in and indoor.
Speaker 2: Parking, indoor parking. They obviously are parking with street exactly.
Speaker 7: And it's just it's just not a great location. And I mean, just to you know, if they're talking ninety million dollars now that it's going to be more than ninety million dollars. And I just I feel bad for the citizens because I think this mayor is quite naive and we'll see where it all goes.
Speaker 2: And well, I don't know that she's naive. I think quite the contrary. I think that she makes other mayors look like, you know, wilting Flowers. I mean, she she rolls over people who disagree. Look what happened in the North End, uh, Look look what has happened elsewhere. And I gotta tell you that she she what, she gets what she wants. Hey, I got to break away, unfortunately, Mike, because they got a special CBS News report coming down to this plane crash. Tonight smaller plane crash in Philadelphia. Keep on on top of with this and anytime we touch it, you give us a call. Okay, Thanks Mike.
Speaker 1: With Dan Ray on Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All right, we are now joined by Lewis. Elisa Lewis, Welcome to Night Side. How are you, sir?
Speaker 8: Good evena I'm fine?
Speaker 2: How are you doing great? You have been active in the Boston neighborhood communities for how long?
Speaker 8: It's about fifty years. I've been with the Garrison Try to Navorate Association and the Frankent Bark Correlation since nineteen seventy eight. We started in both at the same time.
Speaker 2: So tell us about from your perspective. We spoke earlier this hour with Gayla Cawley of the Boston Herald The Reporter. There's something about this set of circumstances that doesn't quite feel right to me. Has anyone thought about having the women's soccer team play out at the Gillette Stadium couple of years until that soccer stadium is built over in Everett.
Speaker 8: Well, the understanding is there have been a number of discussions about alternative sites. It's not just Everett, but you know, Solgeant Field and over at Harvard, over bu you know, places where they have a lot more seating capacity and where they have transportation, and they're not creating such a major negative externality on the surrounding communities. I'm not sure why they want to try to stick it into a historic park. This park is by Omstead Glaus Omstead. It's over one hundred and some years old, It's on the National Historic Registry. And it seems like they don't have a concern that what they're doing is that they're destroying, you know, a treasure that's a part of the city of Boston, not Gesture, Dorchester and Jamaica Plane and Rocks Ray for the city of Boston. It's a historic landmark. But they seem to care a little about it. And this may have seemed dead set to give this team opportunity to create an entertainment center. Some of it may beat the soccer, but rest of it is entertainment at the expense of everyone who lives in the community.
Speaker 2: So what will they do? I mean, it seems to me that their goal is to demolish White Stadium. That demolition's underway, am I correct Lewis?
Speaker 8: Well, they've set up They've not taken down any walls, but they're doing the preparation. The problem is not just the demolition of a building that is a monument also as part of the Art deco of the serties, but they want to destroy one hundred and forty eight mature trees and for whatever reason, has nothing to do with them being able to play soccer in the stadium. So we're trying to figure out as a community, why are they destroying the fauna and the floral you know environment. Why are they taking away mature trees that also add to the quality of life in terms of air filtration, and you know, they can't be replaced. They don't have enough space to replace the trees that they're trying to take down, So it doesn't make sense. We're not sure it has anything to do with soccer anymore. It's just that they want to give a gift to a bunch of millionaires because they're not thinking about the people in Jamaica. Plain a rock Ferry.
Speaker 2: Lewis in terms of taking down trees, I haven't been on a site survey, but I'm very familiar with Franklin Park. Go to Franklin Park Zoo and all of that, I'll bet you the word that is reality is what's prompting the removal of the trees. Is one word parking.
Speaker 8: Well, I hope not, because their footprint for White Stadium is small, and so if they're taking down trees and parkland, they're violating Chapter ninety seven of the State of Public Parks Land. And I know that everything that they're doing now is different than the Franklin Park Coalition, in the community groups and others that came together to file a lawsuit against them, the own state Conservancy in Garrison Trotter. We brought the lawsuit because they were threatening parkland. They said they weren't, and so the Judge Ellison, she would not, you know, allow us to have a twoper restraining order. Now they're taking, clearly taking two full acres of parkland and at the tint of use for parking, it's not allowed by the state law. And so I really think that the Attorney General and the Auditory and you know, the Secretary of State and some of the others, the Secretary Environmental Affairs should be questioning what's going on here because this is egregious land taking and what they're proposing if it's for parking. This would be totally against the law as established within the commonwealths Lewis.
Speaker 2: I know that there's a hearing or it's actually the case is set to go to trial on March eighteenth. It seems to me that by March eighteenth a lot of damage can be done through demolition. Do you think it's time to perhaps go back into court and with some evidence of of what's being done to the trees and also the arrival of the demolition equipment, that the judge might decide to reconsider her denial of her preliminary injunction because clearly there will be irreverable harm being done if they're able to proceed with the demolition and the removal of the trees before the trial even starts.
Speaker 8: You're absolutely right, there's no question in lovable harm we've done. You cannot unbeat the drum or put the genie back in the bottle. To remove these mature trees, one hundred and forty eighty of them, would be devastating to the environment just in general, just for the quality of life or just the quality of the air within the in the area. But you know what we asked the city to do. We ask the city council to step up and represent the concerns of also this subaultment because while the park is in seven District seven and in roxbory Dorchester in Jamaica Plane, it serves the city, it's the regional park. It's the park with the that serves the region. I mean, this is a park that has the golf course. I mean what they're doing is not just devastating the white stadium area, but the place stead which is used for hundreds of events throughout the year. And I think the Mayor's cone death and I think those city councils who just sit on the side and act like they have it has no impact on them are not representing their constituents very well because the course of this thing is far exceeding anything that's necessary to rebuild a stadium for the use of children. So we're clear that this is not about children, this is not about athletic sports in our public schools. But if the judge will hear it, I would hope that that the members of the Rocks of the Franklin Park Defenders group that are trying to get the judge to reconsider in the first place, would go back and ask for another order to say until there's clear understanding of what this impact is going to be. Now that they've gone past the footprint for a white stadium and they're in chapter ninety seven, you know there should be a halt of this because there's still just fundamental things that have not been clarified, particularly there talking and the transl tation plan. It's not even close to being finalized.
Speaker 2: Lewis, you're you've been a great spokesman for causes in this city for many years, and you you're a great spokesman tonight for it. I the more I look at this, the more questions I have, and you've raised more issues in my mind. And I've got to tell you, I don't know who your lawyers are.
Speaker 9: I don't know if you're the folks who you're working with are able to hire, you know, a big Boston law firm or something like that, or if one of these big loss of Boston law.
Speaker 2: Firms would do some pro bono work. There may be some some lawyers in Boston who are listening to us tonight, And it would seem to me that this is a if if simply one Superior Court judge has said no, if that superior Court judge is not willing to reconsider a change in circumstances, then I would try to appeal it and if necessary, go through what's called the gatekeeper Statute at the State Supreme Court and get it up in front of a single justice of the Supreme Court. Again, the city has plenty of lawyers in their legal department, funded by taxpayers from your community and other parts of Boston. It seems to me that that you guys are getting rolled over here, and just on the point of just absolute fairness, I'm concerned about it. Let us do this, Lewis, Let's stay with me for a second, and let's for a few minutes, and let's see if some listeners want to chime in on this. I looked at the story in the Herald today. I looked at the Globe. Was there a story in this protest in the Globe today?
Speaker 8: Yeah? There was something was something about there was about two thousand and three dozen people out yesterday in the freezing cold. You know, because there's a commitment coming from all quarters of the communities, not coming from one neighborhood, come from people are far away, right.
Speaker 2: So it's good that it's good that the Globe readers as well. I mean, it's a it's a it's a it's a great picture, uh, in the that Nancy Lane took in the Herald today, A company Gala Cawley's story. We'll take a break if you'd like to talk with Lewis and Lisa six one seven, two, five, four ten thirty, six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. Lewis has taken on many fights during his career here in Boston on social justice issues, and I suspect he sees it very clearly as just another one of those fights. I think that the story needs more publicity, and that's why we're talking about it tonight. I hope you join the conversation. It may not affect you if you don't live in Boston, but uh, it's a it's a question of fairness and equity, and at this point, those people who are standing on the cold yesterday, they get, in my opinion, the short end of the stick back on Night's side right after this six one seven, two, five four to ten thirty six one seven nine three one ten thirty.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan ray Line from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: So my guess Is Lewis. Elisa Lewis is a community activist in Boston for many years president of the Garrison Trotter Neighborhood Association, and they are opposed to the demolition of White Stadium in the construction of a soccer stadium for the use of a new female soccer team that has been granted a team in Boston with us. Now friend of many years in someone who's a big advocate for schoolboys sports himself, quite an athlete, former NHL player Paul Stewart who lives down the Cape. Stew I hope you don't mind you introducing you, but I want to get you because it touches on a subject I know you're concerned about. I want to get your credentials in front of the audience. Go right ahead.
Speaker 10: Well, I spend many many years every Friday afternoon watching my dad coach Boston English as we played at White Stadium. I remember in the springtime my dad's baseball team tryouts were always asked. I think that would be the south end of the stadium as well. They had track and field, and I think back to when the Patriots were thinking about they had been over at BU they were thinking about trying to take over White Stadium, and that was shot down because of the fact that my dad told me this that there was a fund called the George Robert White Fund who had financed the stadium when they first built it for the benefit of the students of the city of Boston. In fact, in the mid seventies, a Northeastern University who had played at Perkins Field in Brookline, which was half during a half grass. They eventually dropped their football program because they couldn't get a stadium. They tried to get the White Stadium and that was rejected because this schoolboys stadium. I guess the the uh, the entire way the documents were set up was only for the students and the children of the city of Boston.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. It was. It was probably a charitable trust which probably existed this day. By the way, people who don't remember Northeastern football, they had some pretty good football players coming out of there, including a tight end by the name of Dan Ross.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 2: Paul, say hello to Lewis, you I know where your heart would be on this, Lewis. This is a friend of mine, Paul Stewart, and he's someone that you guys should probably talk to because because he understands the history of this this facility.
Speaker 10: Well, I grew up in Dorchester and Jamaica playing and as I say, I was at White Stadium quite often. And the fact of the matter is that if the soccer team the one side of the stadium not suse the neighborhood, the other side was gutted by fire. And the fact is that if this soccer team wanted to utilize the stadium with the stands as is, refurbished them, put maybe new benches, seats in and such, and utilized it for a year or two until the other soccer stadium is built out by the old racetrack. I think that that would be appropriate because the refurbishments that they would have very similar to what the Whalers, the Boston Whalers did in seventy two when they came in and assisted with the with the with the rebuilding of the Boston Arena. So, yeah, come use our stadium, fix it up, use it, but you're not going to be here for long.
Speaker 4: And that to me because the students and.
Speaker 10: The children of the city of Boston really should own that place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's what that is. What Lewis said, Lewis, you want to comment and what Paul had to say, he's obviously in.
Speaker 8: Your bawlings one, which is and he's spot on. And then you know, when I came to Boston back in seventy two, they were programs and activities going there. And I've always lived on Stever Street or Hutchon Street, but now I've been on sever Street for more than fifty years, and I can tell you there are programs and activities that happened there on a regular basis. Stay up for school boys, school girl activities. It's been the center of activity and sports for all the memorial games, of Thanksgiving, classics and things of that nature. The idea that this mayor wants to take it and turn it off to a private concern is no longer being a stadium. It's not becoming an entertainment center, which I think is what they want to But the impance is is it supposed to be for the students in Boston public schools. They want to take more than one hundred million dollars and give it over to a private concern, and they're not trying to maintain the track, you know, But we don't have a complimentive plan to track and fee a layout the part of the stadium that was by fire, the east wing of the stadium, that's the school departments that they're going to take it over. In the west wind the UNS Boston UH Soccer. He said that they were going to pick it up. But what they want to do is tuned in into you know, a box seats and lucky you know, lucky cheers and both positives. That does not service the children's public, does not give anything to apthletic programs in Boston, which definitely indeed of a professional field called it's not about all children.
Speaker 2: Uh, Lewis, Lewis, hold on, I got another call. I do want to take ste you said, you said a lot in a brief period of time, you know, the.
Speaker 4: One or two. I just wanted to add to it that, you know, come use our stadium and add to it very similar to what happened. You know, I played golf at Franklin Park and we had my dad's tournament there for years. And the fact is that you know that course is derelicted Donald Ross Course, and you know Bill Flynn was leased the course and they fixed it up and now it's back into the spot where it should be in the hands of the neighborhood, and some great, great golfers have come out of there. We had Chechie Rodriguez there, we had Tiger Woods when he was an amateur, coming and give lessons to the kids. And I think that this could be the same formula. Don't also forget that UH Mascot tried to take over East Boston Stadium, very similarly built, same design, and yet for some reason it was also uh a property that didn't belong to anybody but the students and the children of the city of Boston.
Speaker 2: Well, I think both you gentlemen agree. I hope you can get you together at some point. If either one of you need the other's number, let me know. Paul, I got to get one more in. Thanks friend, always great to.
Speaker 4: Talk to you here, Yes, mister president.
Speaker 2: Thanks to thank you much. Ben, Thank you appreciate that. By bye bye, Mark, I got you in here under the wire, buddy.
Speaker 5: I've become very disenchantic with Michelle who It's as if she has turned into a dictator before our very eyes. I mean, there's this controversy over what Wright Stadium.
Speaker 2: Yes, yep, that's what you're talking about.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean Nickerson Field it be you would have been a perfectly good alternative closer to public transportation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're the second person. You're the second person who mentioned that. Mark. I agree with you.
Speaker 5: And there's the dispute over outdoor seating in the North End, and I suggested a compromise just one row of two person table. But I seem to have been entirely ignored.
Speaker 2: And you're not special that a lot of people feel ignored, Mark, So join the club. All right, Mark, you got it in and I got you in late, but but I'm running late here and I gotta wrap it up on the stand.
Speaker 5: And thanks for taking my paw.
Speaker 2: You're welcome. Thank you very much and made some great points in a brief period of time. Thanks Mark Lewis. Thank you for the fight that you are carrying on. If there's anything that I can do for you, Rob will give you my direct line.
Speaker 8: Thank you, Thank you for Thank you for the opportunity. And what you're doing is most important. Keep getting people to understand this isn't about Dorchester or rock Heery to make a plain, this is about the city of Boston. People who play golf here, people bring their kids to the zoo. People love, frankly part but people who love and appreciate Frederick law On set. This is an historic landmark that is being destroyed and with little or no thought about what the long term benefits will be for the children of the city of Boston. They're families and the students.
Speaker 2: Well said Lewis. Great to hear your voice. It's it sounds as strong as it ever did. And in a dispute like this, you tend to be on the side of the people and on their behalf. I thank you for doing it. If I can be of any helps you, you let me know. Rob will give you my direction.
Speaker 8: You so much and keep the word thank Thanks Lewis.
Speaker 2: We will hang there and Rob will give you my direct line in case you need to reach me. When we come back. We're going to change topics, lighten up a little bit, but actually an important topic Valentine's two days two weeks from today, creating happy and healthy relationships. We're going to talk with a couple's therapist, the licensed couple therapist, how you can bring some of the joy back into your marriage if some of it has somehow disappeared. We're going to be talking with Carolyn Sharp,