Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think we are.
Speaker 1: Get off our show idiots. The kids are playing or tail off countures are screwing it up. Gold Play Inner Murals, Brother, gold Play Inner Murals. They're supposed to be.
Speaker 2: Mature adults, but they're really not.
Speaker 1: Who's the kid here? Who's the kid here? Are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Here's Nick coffee?
Speaker 3: All right, good afternoon, and welcome in Coffee and Company.
Speaker 2: That's us.
Speaker 3: We are fueled bout Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Appreciate you joining us here on a Wednesday afternoon. It may sound as if I have just emerged from underwater, but I can I can tell you that's that's not the case. I am actually above water, but I'm not in studio today. I am broadcasting remotely, and for the most part, that's never been a huge issue. But if there in fact is an issue, or you know, just some difficulty, it is usually when we rely on a setup that we are relying on today. So I'm kind of in my own head here in regards to that and usually it ends up working out. But I feel like each time we are forced to rely on the type of connectivity that we have right now. Each time it's like a reminder you don't want to have to do this again, Like you don't want to have to ever be in the position to connect the way you're connecting now. And I kind of feel like that's going on as we speak.
Speaker 1: But we sound great right now, nick, I will say that.
Speaker 3: Okay, so right now when I'm speaking, when I when I led the show and I just rolled in, it didn't sound terrible.
Speaker 1: Not at all. It sounded about as good as it could have sounded, giving the circumstances.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, good. So here here's how it works. I don't know why. Nobody knows why.
Speaker 3: In fact, I'll give some kind of price to someone if they can, if they can give us some information into what would potentially cause this to happen, because I can tell you this, for over a year we used the same connection and didn't have this issue, And I don't know what happened. I don't know if it was an update, firmware I think that's the thing, or you've heard of firmware. Yeah, I don't know, I don't know what it was, but at some point it became an issue to where whenever I'm rolling and we're connected, I mean, you really would never know that we're not even in the same studio together. But when it changed whenever there's music being played from the studio, like when we're coming back from break, or maybe whenever I've just been like turned off and then turned on initially. And I'm talking about you know, connectivity perverts, but it it it It's like I got to come out from underwater to start talking, and you know, and within a couple of seconds, I've emerged from water and I'm and it sounds normal. So if I'm speaking and then John jumps in, like if both of us are talking at the same time, it it won't.
Speaker 2: Let that happen.
Speaker 3: Because a lot of times in radio, when we're in the same studio and when we're connected with our other comra system that I usually use, you could talk over each other. And that's never good radio to talk over each other. But there's a lot of natural talking with you know, amongst each other, and it times over each other to where.
Speaker 2: You need that. So where if we both get to yap.
Speaker 3: And at the same time, it'll just sound as if one of us has been dunked underwater and we and I don't mind saying this. Maybe I'm not supposed to, but I don't care because that don't see, this is not how we typically do it, but it is an option when we connect this way. And we're only doing it this way because we have to. We use a program called on SIP. So I'm connected to our studio with a service called on SIP. And again it worked like a charm. I mean I never All I needed was an Internet connection and no external equipment and I could do the show every day from home. I did it during the pandemic. Well at some point there was some kind of a change. Uh, And and here's.
Speaker 2: What I think, can I can I give you my.
Speaker 3: Guess, John as to what happened Absolutely on sip the way they initially rolled out what we were using. Believe it or not, I'm sure they didn't cater to us because their services are used for you know, boy, it's it's basically connecting via phone and using you know, a super strong connection to where it doesn't sound digital like you are in fact on a phone. So you know, it worked to where they didn't have something built in that will well will quiet someone it. Basically there's there's something set up to where it actually prevents people from talking over each other, which is what you want. Like if you ever been on a Zoom call and everybody's talking and it doesn't it doesn't you can't like you can't hear anybody.
Speaker 1: Think I thought of whenever you were talking or this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's so they they on SIP was probably I mean, they've been around a long time. I don't know if Zoom was created during the pandemic, but we all know it became a really really big deal during the pandemic. And there's other providing Like I don't do Skype still exist. I'm sure it does, right, John.
Speaker 1: An't exists, but I don't know who uses it anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I haven't used a Skype.
Speaker 3: I haven't been on Skype or seen somebody who's Skype in a long long time. But there's Skype, and then there's also stream Yard, but that's not for like business communication. That's mostly just for recording podcasts or live streaming a podcast with different platforms. So my guess is that they were trying to keep up with the Joneses on SIP was to where they would they wanted to add this feature that would prevent people from talking over each other. And what that did is it disabled the ability for us to communicate at the same time without its sounding as if And you, by the way, you never you're not connected through Like when you hear John, you hear the station that's coming through the typical setup of the radio station. I'm connecting in on a source that uses on set, So it's really just me that that ends up sounding like that. So anyways, I'm sure we don't sound as good as we typically do.
Speaker 2: But here's what I.
Speaker 3: Want to do today, John, Here's what I want to do because I think this, I think this could work. When we come back from break, you do your thing, company man, John Aldeno, the Ones and two is bringing us back with whatever.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I love being surprised with the different music that John likes to give us throughout the show. A lot of times it's just you know, whatever he's feeling from a creative space or maybe something that is relative to what has been discussed on the show. So when we come back from break, you bring us back, but you know, do it in a way that where people aren't under the impression that you've taken my job, because you know, I know you made a pretty good impression yesterday, and I get a little insecure.
Speaker 2: I don't want to lose my job. I got a family to feed.
Speaker 3: John, So you come back from break, you play the liner, you say, just say, actually, do whatever you want. I'm not going to try to get in your way creativity, create a creativity creatively. I can't speak either. Again, I'm in my own head. We have these kind of issues. But John brings us back from break. He's let's just give you an example. He's like, Hey, it's coffee and company. Feel by Thornton's nix with us. I'm the company man, but we're connected underwater today or say whatever. And then once you fade the music and I hear that we've got a millisecond of complete silence, then I'll emerge from water and it won't sound as if you know, we were already opening the segment with me six feet underwater. You want to give that a shot, You.
Speaker 1: Can give that a shot. It is what it is.
Speaker 3: Because I try to be a perfectionist, and at times it's really a fault of mine. Because there's a lot of things that like, I won't pursue do creatively if I don't think it sounds or looks perfect. That's just, you know, a flaw of mine. So you know, the most one of the most important. Like if you are coming back from break and somebody's never heard your show, if they hear, oh these guys, man, they must suck. They don't even let them broadcast above water, Like these costumers really really be lousy. So it's probably not a big deal. It's never been as big of a deal as I make it out to be. But I know how I am. It consumes me and it's led the first ten minutes of this show, which really isn't good for anybody. But I feel like in order for us to minimize this uh underwater version of Coffee and Company that you occasionally get, I feel like you bringing us back from break, well one give you more reps. You're you're gonna you're gonna kill it, and that way we just we minimize it as best as possible. So that's not okay, down, Well, I'll do whatever for the sake of the show.
Speaker 1: That's why I'm the company man right.
Speaker 3: Perfectly said, could not have said it better. That's why you are the company man. You're exactly right, all right again. It is coffee and Company above water right now, and we are fueled by Thornton's here on a Wednesday afternoon. Appreciate you guys joining us. Just know you can take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the iHeart Radio app. Listen live at seven dot com. I'm gonna rely on the text line a lot today because I'm gonna be straight up with you guys. I'm always prepared. I got a lot of things I could yap about. You could put me in front of this microphone without me having any you know, formal sitting in front of a you know, sitting in front of a computer preparation, and I've you know, I can play the hits, I can keep it rolling. But I do want to rely on the text line a lot today because I neglect you guys at times, and I've had a lot of time in the last twenty four to forty eight hours to you know, reflect, and I need to be more mindful of the text line.
Speaker 2: So keep them coming.
Speaker 3: Five O two six five three zero seven ninety Ellen n Federal Credit Union text Line members get more at Ellenn Federal Credit Union. You can learn more and open your account today at LLENFCU dot com. We'll see what we get on the phone lines today. I will encourage you to give it a shot. But again, if we're going back and forth with this type of connection, you know, it could be a lot of you know, you dunking me under water and then me coming above water to react. So text line is always the best way to interact. I always tell people that, I mean, we do encourage phone calls and we'll see what we get. But yeah, plenty of ways for you guys to be a part of the show today. Today's one of those days where whenever I pop open Twitter and it's it's got to be a me thing on my Twitter settings, my x settings, and that is that it defaults to the for you rather than the following. Because I actually think I did without realizing it is I punched this microphone here. I do spend more time on the for you than the following, and I think I actually at times find the for you a little more useful than the following, which makes me a hypocrite, because I think one of the best things Twitter has going is it is a real organic timeline. If you go to the following section of the platform, now you're going to see ads mixed in there, but nothing like honestly with people can say what they want about elon Musk and X and Twitter and whatnot. It has given us the ability to control what we see on the platform. You can't do that on Facebook. You can't do that on Instagram. They tell you you can, but you're still going to be bombarded. In fact, it's a really good write up I saw yesterday about what really what Facebook and Instagram have turned into in regards to like what you see, I mean everybody's I mean it's the same thing you do. See someone that you know posts something, then it's an ad for something that you probably searched. Then it's the people you may know. Then it is reels that they show for you to check out. Like you know, they're controlling what you see. Any you know, organically growing your brand via those platforms, it's just not what it once was. And by the way, ex is getting there in regards to like how you can grow, But as far as the timeline itself and what you see, they still let you for the most part controlled it better than anybody. But anyways, I've always wanted a real timeline. But again I'm a hypocrite because I think for you helps me. Like if I've been away from Twitter for a few hours, if I pop it open and go to the for You, more often than not, I'm going to see something that is newsworthy to me. Then I'm like, oh wow, I missed this when I was away from the platform. Now I can you know. Now I can read about it and maybe talk about it on the show. That kind of stuff. But anyways, today when I go to the for You, outside of everybody discussing the election, I see that there's a ton of back and forth between Louisville and Kentucky fans. Most most people I don't follow, by the way, So again the four you will show you people that you don't follow, But it's people that they may think you're interested in their content, interested in what they're saying. And it's not that I am that interested in it, but hey, they know me right. Louisville and Kentucky, the rivalry, that's something that I consume quite a bit. So the back and forth, once again about strength of schedule, one that tells me that we are, in fact getting closer and closer to real football because you know, we've exhausted all different ways of discussing the upcoming season, so now the rivals are going back and forth. And because we don't play until the end of the season and we know we won't be able to find out until the end of November.
Speaker 2: The one way to you know, at this point.
Speaker 3: The way to go back and forth, other than Kentucky being able to continue to say they've got bragging rights, which they do. You've got people talking strength to schedule, and I don't want to tell you that I don't have the energy for it, because I always do when it comes to back and forth with Kentucky fans and whatnot. But I'm going to give Louisville fans some advice when it comes to the strength of schedule situation with Kentucky fans because you know, I don't think you're sensitive if you want to chirp back when you know you've had a good year. You know you were a good program, a better program historically. But all they throw at you is, well, you ain't play nobody you play in the acc I mean, Kentucky fans are convinced that Trinity High School would beat anybody in the ACC. That's how they act in that and it's a complex that they have because they have nothing to show for their existence in their own conference. And you know, one of their ways to feel better about themselves they can't look among their peers in their league because they're middle of a pack at best in that league.
Speaker 2: That's the ceiling.
Speaker 3: I'm not even sure the ceiling is that high now considering the fact that their league just got better and some teams that they used to be equal to or better than, are now either equal or better than them. So one of the ways Kentucky football has felt better about themselves and really kind of created a new brand is that one they no longer suck.
Speaker 2: They don't.
Speaker 3: They're not a bad I mean, they are a good, solid program, There's no doubt about that. And they had a couple of years where they were pretty damn good, especially considering what they've always been, so you know, with that they can put together. I mean, even when they have a ten win season, at the end of the day, what do they really have to show for it. They didn't really beat any they didn't have any monumental wins along the.
Speaker 2: Way, but they beat their rival. They've beat their rival.
Speaker 3: Consistently for the last I don't know, six seven years, and that that that, you know, is the cherry on top of them, right because they you know, And I'm not saying that it shouldn't be like anybody who acts like all who cares just another game, Like those are people I don't want to be in a rivalry with. Why It's always been my pet peeve. Why do we not embrace the fact that we hate each other? And yeah, beating them feels better than beating just about anybody, Like, I don't know why there's that insecurity to say that when it's true, Like I know it didn't have anything to do with conference standings. I know it doesn't have anything to do honestly with anything. Usually that game means nothing to either team when it comes to a bowl game or you know, a playoff appearance. It's usually just about bragging rights, and that stuff matters a lot when it comes to a rivalry. So what I'm getting at is they have this complex of like, well, you know, we even when we are really good for our historical standard, there's really not much else to show for it. We usually finished three and five or four and four in our league, despite getting seven wins in the regular season, and then again they had two ten win seasons which were special. But you go back and look at that from top to bottom. The one year they did have a I mean, that was a big, big year form not just for who they were, but they ended up beating was it they beat Penn State in that bowl game? That was a good win form like that is a notable, memorable season, maybe one of the best ever for them. And then you know, since then, you know, they've been kind of average. They did have another ten win season that has since been vacated, but even that year, you know.
Speaker 2: Hard to say that that.
Speaker 3: They can't control it, right, They happen to run into LSU when they fired at they happened to, you know, beat Florida whenever. You know, was that Dan Mullins last year and then he got canned after he lost to Kentucky. Again, they can't control that. Those teams probably were expected to be pretty good and they just weren't. So I don't know why Louisville fans go back and forth. Again, part of me says, well, no brainer, it's because it's a rivalry, and you're always going to go back and forth and be caddy and be petty with the other side. But like Louisville fans need to understand that Kentucky will always be able to for the most part, be able to hold it over our head. At the end of the year, they played a tougher schedule because of their conference. Their conference is better than ours, it's not questionable. So what it usually comes down to is, you know, did they have a season where they played anybody in the non conference? Well, they never do, and the only time they ever have a non conference notable opponent is when Louisvill's pretty good. So just accept the fact that they bring up the schedule because it's one of the things they feel like they can throw out there that solid defies them. That Yeah, even the Louisville played in their conference championship, even the Louisville's been in two BCS Bowl games, even though Louisville has a Heisman Trophy winner, even the Louisville historian. You know, in the modern era of college football, since they stopped playing with leather helmets, Louisville has been a better program. And it's not that Louisvill's become, you know, like a juggernaut. Trust me, they're not. But Kentucky has been a bottom feeder of the SEC historically. They're not that now and that has since changed, There's no doubt about that. But like, don't let their oh, well, that the reason that they have, the reason Lamar Jackson won the Heisman trophies because he played in the ACC and it's like a high school league and he put up big numbers against like all the high school teams and that's why he got Heisman just because of the conference.
Speaker 2: That's the thing.
Speaker 3: The conference is so bad. That's why they win games. That's how they have these all these accomplishments because they're com And now again I'm willing to acknowledge that if in fact Louisville played in the SEC and had a tougher schedule, would they have had seasons where they found themselves in the Sugar Bowl or the Orange Bowl.
Speaker 2: We'll never know.
Speaker 3: I mean, I happen to think that they had a couple of teams that were really good that could have still got there. So it amuses me, but it is one of the things that triggers me because I can I can I can stay out of the of the U of the trenches if you will? With the rivalry back and forth on a lot of stuff, because I know because it's one of those things where it's like, what are we doing here? You're never going to change my mind. I'm never gonna change your mind because we are quite clear and set on how we feel about the rivalry. So like why are we yelling at each other? That's the way I now approach and I have approached my Kentucky fan friends and family for many years, like there's no reason to yell like I'm gonna hate Kentucky, You're gonna hate Louisville. Could we could argue, but like, no matter what, none of us is going here's what's not gonna happen. Neither is going to concede that you're right, I'm wrong, I'm wrong, you're right. And also we're never going to change our opinion on how we view each side of it. But the one of the few things that still times get get in the weeds about is the schedule thing, because it really is a nonsensical thing that Kentucky can you could they look they've beat Louisville for for how many years now, like there's no doubt about that, but this year, the fact that Louisville is getting a lot more votes than them, most people project Louisville to be a you know, have a better year. Maybe not everybody, but you know, consensuously, there's more. There's more talk of Louisville potentially being you know, a top twenty caliber team that Kentucky. At least that's what I've gathered. Maybe I'm a homer for seeing it that way, but that's at least the noise out there. But anyways, you know it, Sometimes Kentucky will get to the end of the year and not have a win against anybody with a winning record, and they claim, well, it's the sec Well, like last year, the only win they had against the team that with a winning record was Louisville. So that's that goes back to last year's loss being like the worst one you could take because it's the one year you don't lose. I mean, they limped into that game feeling like their team was big time underachievers that season. Their coach earlier in the year told them to sack up and pay more money. It was it wasn't sack up was it poniu niup, so you know, and then they still beat you. They had no wins to show. There was nothing on paper that said that Kentucky was going to be better. They were big time underdogs in that game for the rivalry, and yet they still beat you. And that's like, that's why it was one of the most painful losses to take in that rivalry. Now, the one thing that makes it a little less painful. Well, put it this way. That loss sucked and there's no way around it. But I can still look at year one at Louisville and see what was accomplished big picture, know that it was Bram's first year and feel like, yeah, even though it ended poorly, three straight losses and a loss to your rival that you should not have lost at home, you'd be a fool to not say ten wins in year one for Jeff was anything other than a success. So anyways, we'll get more into it later because you have some numbers to share to throw out that that'll I guess better explain why the conversation, why the endless debate about strength to schedule is silly for both sides, But also this whole thing is a reminder that we should have this game should be the first game of the season. And one thing that I will say like that I wasn't aware of for a long time, and I was talking.
Speaker 2: To somebody about this a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 3: Louisville asking if they could move that game to, you know, to the beginning of the season. Meaning they asked the ACC. That's not like a crazy request, and it like it wouldn't shock be if they said.
Speaker 2: Uh, well, if your opponent is cool with it, like we don't care.
Speaker 3: Like because it's rivalry weekend, right, like you've got you know, some of the big rivalries going on. But like in the ACC, I mean, do we think Georgia Tech and Georgia is that a big rivalry? I mean, I guess at one point back in the day it might have been, but like now, do we think that's a big rivalry? Like I mean, I think that's just a waste of a game here in recent years, like who ell a Clemson in South Carolina? I mean that that is usually a rivalry game, but Clemson has has dominated so I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, I.
Speaker 3: For for the last ten years roughly, I just believed, well that was it we'll never see this game played in the opener again, and I just have to live with it. And I still believe that it'll probably never be moved to the first game. But I don't think, like, if they really wanted to make it happen, I think they, I think they could they. You know, it's worth a try, It's worth a try.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: We're going to try to make this the best show ever. I mean, we try to do that every day. But you know, we've got some obstacles working against us today when it comes to the way we are set up. But you know, from when I've gathered, you know, anytime I start to complain about worried about quality, I do get texts on my own phone, not the text line from people like hey you sound fun, Hey sounds good, or what the hell you're talking about?
Speaker 2: You sound great?
Speaker 3: Just to show things like that, like those, those are the responses that we get. So hey, when need to get to our first break, we'll keep it rolling along until six o'clock. A lot to get into today, folks, I mean, I know, I kind of just jumped in there with our technical issues as well as you know, the whole schedule, strength, the schedule kind of stuff. But if Louisville basketball's looking for somebody to prop up there as the hater, the guy that's fueling motivation for Pat Kelsey and his team in year one, the guy's there and it's John Ross team. We'll talk a little bit about that and again get to the text line five O two six five three zero seven ninety. It's the Ellen and Federal Credit Union text line, and we'll keep it rolling along. It's Coffee and Company. We are fueled about Thorton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: That's right, This is Coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. So you may be wondering, why is the company man? John? Bring us back if you just happen to stop buying miss the opening segment of the show. Well, Nick is with us. He's back at his home studio. We are trying to avoid the unfortunate error that sometimes happens where you hear the underwater unintentional sound effects. Let's go ahead and see Nick, are you still with us?
Speaker 2: I think you're coming from my job. That sounded amazing, That was smooth, that was relaxed, good stuff. Good stuff. I'm proud.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is a clop going on right now and it's above water. Just to make sure it's getting it's getting to who it needs to get to. But yes, well done. Appreciates you.
Speaker 2: John.
Speaker 3: Again, that's why he's the company man. And we got to improvise, We got to do things a little bit differently. He has no problem.
Speaker 2: He'd do whatever's needed for the show.
Speaker 3: Again, that's why he's the company man. All right, let's go to the text line five O two sixty five three zero seven ninety. It's the L and N Federal Credit Union text line. This text says, Nick, I gotta be honest with you. I listen in my car every day. There's a lot of outside noise. I'm pretty sure I would never know if you were doing your show in studio or doing it underground. And then he went on to kind of say I should probably just not talk about it. Well, maybe you're right, but again, if anything, I'm honest, and if I'm not myself and I'm distracted, I'm gonna tell you guys what I'm distracted by.
Speaker 2: And again.
Speaker 3: Not that I've been accused of this, and I hope nobody listening from our team said it like, this is nobody's fault.
Speaker 2: This is me.
Speaker 3: I had to do the show remotely today and this is the equipment that I had to use, and you know it's working.
Speaker 2: We're fine.
Speaker 3: But I've always said this when it comes to doing really anything in broadcasting, whether it be radio, television, you know, just live on anything. I think other than knowing what you're talking about, or you don't really have to know what you're talking about to be honest with you, I think there's a lot of great examples of that. But my point is being comfortable, and if I'm not comfortable, I feel like I'm going to be worse than I typically am anyway.
Speaker 1: And I want to add to that nick too. I think sometimes addressing what makes you uncomfortable, especially on the air, helps it kind of go away, the uncomfortability of it, and you just kind of put it on the back burner once you've addressed it. I mean, I know we're still talking about it now the way that we did at the beginning of the show, but I do feel like it's a lot more loose than maybe it started off as.
Speaker 2: No doubt about it.
Speaker 3: And I also think like transparency is important in everything. So there's there's been very few instances ever in my in my time in radio where I felt like we really needed to talk about something. People tuning in expected me to talk about something and I simply couldn't. But so there's been probably three, maybe four times that that happened, But there's only been once where I felt like it was unreasonable for me to not be allowed to address it discuss it clear the air. The other times like it is what it is, right, Like I don't like it, nobody likes it, but we can't talk about it. But there's only been one time where I felt like, Hey, why are you guys gonna make me act like this isn't clearly something that everybody needs to discuss.
Speaker 2: And wants to discuss.
Speaker 3: And you may you may have a guess as to what that is, maybe you don't, But anyways, that's that's that's in the past and we're rolling forward here in the future. But this text, uh, this is a good one, this text. And I didn't know this was a thing, but I'm now seeing here. I thought somebody was just trolling on the text line saying that they're cleaning the stench off the Young Center that Kenny Pain and a lousy staff left. I didn't really know what that meant. And then somebody took a picture of what looks to be a screenshop from a news station and sure enough, youm center cleaning. First thing that pops up here on Google for me is from WLKY, our partners over there at news channel thirty two WKY, they've got a story on a cleaning that is going on. I guess as we speak this was posted earlier this afternoon, about an hour and a half ago. That yeah, I'll read directly from wkyses. Ever, wonder how all those windows outside the KFCM Center get cleaned For the first time ever. The entire facade got a cleaning on Wednesday, and they use some innovative technology to get a massive to get the massive project done, WLKY news chopper was outside a large drone clean was outside of a large drone cleaned each window. So drones are being used for a lot of things, and I guess cleaning humongous facilities like the Yum Center is one of them. This is a This is a statement from one of the Young Center officials.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 3: It says drone power washing technology represents a significant advancement in exterior cleaning. By employing drones equipped with specialized cleaning equipment, the Young Center will benefit from a highly efficient and precise cleaning process, minimize disruption, and maximize effectiveness.
Speaker 2: So there you go, they're.
Speaker 3: Cleaning the drone. And as much as you know, I am not sensitive or offended bothered by any Kenny Payne criticism and slander. You know, I feel comfortable in saying they're not cleaning it because of anything that Kenny Paine and his staff did. They didn't do enough in there for it to get dirty, if we're being honest. In fact, I think it might have been. Chris Hatfield, a Louisville Big Louisville fan who's active on Twitter in the Louisville community, he posted something the other day that, really it might have been yesterday. I've been out of it the last two days. I'm kind of out of it now to be honest with you, But there was a video that the UL basketball team posted on their t Twitter account in October of twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: And you may wonder, well, you know, why is that relevant?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: And it wasn't at the time. And I'll admit I didn't.
Speaker 3: There's many things I could and people said I was nitpicking and I was going out of my way to create, you know, drama and create concern for people about Kenny Payne as a coach whenever. I mean, there were countless examples and signs of things I said, oh, this ain't good. One of them was not when the when the team was at the Young Center. But think about this, like Louisville put together a brand new, brand new staff, br me entirely new team is in place here and we've already seen these guys playing in the Bahamas.
Speaker 2: We have you know, we have.
Speaker 3: A show with two of the players that you can watch on YouTube with Caseon Pryor and Noah Waterman. Kelsey's done every interview he's been asked of. I feel like, you know, these players have been active on social to see the team losing their mind over the villa and the TBT event meaning the current team, that was a awesome So things have been perfect for Pat Kelsey in this time. And that's not to say he hasn't missed on a player or anything like that, but I mean, as far as all you can do when you get the job in March to today, August fourteenth, Pat kelse to me has done everything right and he's done exactly what he was hired to do. Put together a good staff, build a roster right away that fans can feel good about. As far as the potential of having a winner and inject life and enthusiasm back in the fan base, he's done all that. So two years ago, when Kenny Paine took over, Kenny Payne's team didn't get to the Yumps Center and see the arena until October. Think about that again, might sound like a little thing, but again, it's just things like that really put in perspective the vast difference in culture among these two regimes. Clearly one was a failure, one of the worst hires ever made in sports. The other is a guy who has been super successful and has a winning formula, has a great culture, and now he's brought it here. And now we wait and see, right, does it carry over? Does it translate? Fingers crossed that it does, And we'll talk a little more about Louisville hoops later, because again I've been back and forth on feeling like I am legitimately able to be offended at Louisville and their lack of respect from the college football world.
Speaker 2: Which, again, to be honest.
Speaker 3: With you, it's a force to say they're being disrespected. But there's enough there to where if you really wanted to pump up this fan base and the team, like hey, they still don't think you guys are that good.
Speaker 2: You could do it again.
Speaker 3: It's a force to say they're being disrespected. But with basketball, I don't really know how I'm going to look at it, because they've Anybody that hasn't followed closely would just assume Louisville will be a lot better next year.
Speaker 2: Under Pat Kelsey.
Speaker 3: But you know that might mean like fifteen wins because they only won four and then eight, and who knows, maybe that person will be right. But I think if you're paying close enough attention and you look at what league Louisville plays in, which hate to say it, folks, I know we shake pomp poms for league affiliation every now and then. The ACC basketball I don't expect it to be very good this year, which could benefit Louisville. So you know, I'm going to understand and have a little bit more, you know, understanding for why people might downplay Louisville basketball being good.
Speaker 2: It's just because the.
Speaker 3: Recent memory was that they were so bad, like really bad. I mean, Louisville being as bad as they were was somewhat of a national story within college basketball. It didn't lead Sports Center, it wasn't you know, it wasn't something that everybody was consumed by. But last year, specifically because it was year two, if Kenny and you were having embarrassing losses, I mean, especially when you got to you know, into December January. At that point, you know, you started talking about which teams are really good, who's the surprise team, who's.
Speaker 2: The dud team?
Speaker 3: You know, who's looking like they may be a contender for All American Player of the Year. And then, oh, man, can you believe how bad Louisvill has become? Like that was a real thing. So it'll be understanding as to why there's a little bit of a lack of respect, I suppose, or lack of you know, belief that they're going to be good. But if you're paying close enough attention, I think you could look at this team and say, yeah, I'd be shocked if they don't make the tournament. Well, there's one guy who has a huge following that covers college troops, and I was blown away when I saw where he ranks Louisville among ACC teams.
Speaker 2: Have you seen this yet, John.
Speaker 1: I haven't.
Speaker 3: We'll get to it in the four o'clock hour. I mean, you're not going to have your jaw on the floor because you know you don't really care.
Speaker 1: But like.
Speaker 2: Rostein, like I don't know. I mean, is he not a I'm glad you.
Speaker 3: I'm glad you positioned it that way because you you asked the way you were did that?
Speaker 2: Is he not a believer? Puts me a little bit more what's the right word to use here?
Speaker 3: What it does is it it makes me look at it from like, Okay, it's not about like him being a hater, Like maybe he just doesn't think that we are just in our expectation of the with this team, given all the players he's added. But I just don't know if anybody else would put Louisville where he did.
Speaker 2: That's my thing.
Speaker 3: And for those who don't know, out of the what sixteen teams in the Ages, I guess there's more now because you've added Stanford, Cal and SMU, he has Louisville as the eleventh best team in the ACC, and like, I just I think that's insane, And I don't think me thinking that that's insane has anything to do with me being a big Louisville fan.
Speaker 2: Like I mean, coming six or seven.
Speaker 1: You talk about the AEC not being one of the better power leagues at least especially in the last few years, and if Louisville is going to take a step forward, you think that by in like minimum expectations, maybe like sixth or seventh in the ACC might be at worst if they're gonna take a step forward. Maybe again, maybe I'm wrong.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, look, I know they were dead last and there's clearly an acclamation process with you know, a new team. But again, honestly, I think this team is good enough to genuinely be a top twenty five caliber team throughout the year that safely makes the tournament.
Speaker 2: I mean I believe that.
Speaker 3: I don't and I don't think that's like a bold statement to be honest with you. But I also think that you know, others will see, well, hey, this guy.
Speaker 2: Came from Charleston.
Speaker 3: He wasn't even a I mean, let's be honest about Pat Kelsey here, and I love him by the way he may end up being a bad coach. He doesn't win games, and that'll obviously be a bummer. But like I think Josh heard, even though it wasn't his first, second, or seemingly third choice as far as who he wanted to hire. I mean, Pat, Pat check's a box that was so badly needed, and I think we knew it was needed. But man, now that he's here and he's checked that important box, like it's almost a reminder. Oh yeah, there's a reason why Josh Hurd's more qualified to hire a coach than me, you know what I mean, Because we got to get fan enthusiasm, we got to get people excited, and Kelsey hadn't coached a real game yet. But he is knocked it out of the park in that regard. But you know, others aren't looking at it that way, right like I.
Speaker 2: Think, and this is this is this is just the reality of it. We'll never know.
Speaker 3: But the buzz that Dusty may have at at FAU because he went to a final four, I feel like, even though in my opinion, Pat Kelsey is a better coach and has a chance. And again for those who claim like I'm no, go back and listen to anything. I was, I was leading, leading, I was enemy number one among louis Of fans because so many louis of fans wanted Dusty May. And I'm like, I don't, I don't see it. Like he had a Final four and that was cool, but like, other than that, what is there to show for this guy?
Speaker 2: Like what I mean, like, I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's a fit. And it wasn't a fit. That's why he didn't come didn't come here. But you know, because he went to that final four?
Speaker 2: Would you agree with this?
Speaker 3: John someone who keeps you know, keeps your ear to the ground, you can check the pulse of college basketball like most college basketball fans can. There'd be more respect on Louisville's name if it was if it was if it was Dusty May, not Pat Kelsey Nationally don't.
Speaker 1: That's probably the case, just because more people outside of the Louisville area and know who Dusty May is as opposed.
Speaker 3: Sure because of the final four, right, yes, I mean that's that's what it comes down to. So anyways, I don't want to claim that like it's the most egregious thing ever, but like here I am once again, like, hey, am I turning into like a big homer because I think Louisville's team is at worst a top five ACC team. And again I say that mostly because I don't think the ACC is going to be very good league. But anyways, we got to get to a break. We will keep this thing rolling along. It's coffee and Company. We are fuel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: That's right, this is Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Nick is with us. I just got to raise him up from the water from his submarine here as we get the final segment of the three o'clock hour started, Nicky with.
Speaker 2: Us, I am emerged water.
Speaker 3: I'm here and long feeling good, and so I have to ask you this, John, And I meant to ask you this before the show because it really isn't something that is probably even you know, needed, But we have such a little time here.
Speaker 2: And it's driving me crazy.
Speaker 3: Did you do an impression the other day off the cuff on the show that ended up being like really good to where you even agreed like you or did I dream that? And that was that like a pain pill induced dream.
Speaker 1: I've I mean, I've done them now and again, but I don't remember if I did anything overtly exceptional. If I did, I'll take the credit. I guess right.
Speaker 3: I feel like it would be we were on the air, or we were talking, but not on the air. I think that's that might have been what it was. Yeah, anyways, he did an impression, and visually I could see that after doing it, he kind of perked up, like, Oh, did somebody just overtake the company man's body? Because you sounded exactly like who you were trying to do an impression of. But the more I think about it, the more I think it was a dream because I.
Speaker 1: Had Now that you say it, I wish I have no clue who we're talking about. I know this conversation happened, and I do believe it was off the air, but I don't remember who I was doing an impression of.
Speaker 2: Would it have been Vinetti?
Speaker 1: I've done it, We've all done our fair share of Anettie impressions. It very well could have been.
Speaker 3: It's one of those things that will and it really doesn't matter. But it's going to drive me crazy because I had actually a real dream last night. I know this wasn't really a thing, but maybe it will be down the line that you left the show to do comedy impressions like Jay Farrow, who we had on you know, months ago when he was in town. Like that, that's what you went off to do. And I remember, like in the dream, I was like, well, I'll always be able to tell everybody that I was the guy who first heard him realize he had this talent to do impressions and what reminded me of it? And this couldn't be what made me think of this and make me have this dream because it's not really an impression. But John said he was going to walk away from the during I mean, yeah, he wasn't in that. So take us rap and smoke. Might if coach Signetti Kurt Signette at Indiana tells him to start smoking, John might buy a carton on the way home today because that's how fired up he is for the future of Indiana football.
Speaker 2: But you did a vision. You made the sound of a cigarette lighting.
Speaker 1: Do it.
Speaker 2: That's your mouth right, my mouth, yet it sounds like you're a lighter thing.
Speaker 1: I'll tell that.
Speaker 2: But that wouldn't have been.
Speaker 1: What we know different from that I say this now too, though you've now had dreams. So you've had a dream about me going off through stand up. You've also had a dream where I was arrested because I was supposedly a part of the January sixth incident.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean they took you off the air, so you know, I mean the dream about you becoming an impression is not a bad one, and I was. I was flustered there because I don't want you know, everybody's so triggered with every little political thought obvious which hey end up producer because came for his.
Speaker 2: Capital.
Speaker 3: But you know, that's an society. I wouldn't want that to happen to anybody that I know and work with. But you know, I kind of thought maybe saying that, would you know, Oh this guy, he's left. He's at it again, that liberal scumbag. I've been called that before, by the way, called worse. But you know, anyways, John's gonna work on his impressions. As we take our top of the hour break. We still got two hours to go. We'll keep it rolling along again.
Speaker 2: We'll talk some Louisville hoops because I think I think.
Speaker 3: It's I think it's legit to say that they're being disrespected in John Rostein's acc rankings.
Speaker 2: And some football thoughts as we keep it rolling again.
Speaker 3: Two hours left Coffee and Company Field about Thorton right here on s four Stock seven ninety h