Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families.
Speaker 1: Each Tuesday, we bring you a watch or rewatch of an older entertainment property, And for this week of November twenty fifth, we are continuing with Lost season one, episode twenty one, The Greater Good, which was somewhat randomly a SAE flashback episode. Okay, right, THEAVI and Andrews was short on appearances, so they said, okay, man, you can have this one.
Speaker 2: I mean, I like his appearance, so that's true.
Speaker 1: If the only reason is because he's pretty, then that's fine. I'll accept that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, I mean you'd think maybe maybe Shannon, maybe Claire, like these two have had pretty big things go on with them in the previous episode.
Speaker 1: But I mean like dead Boone coming back, right, you know, looking down from the sky at the goings on and saying I remember when. But no, it's Sayid and I really feel like they're supposed to be a connection between and I don't know what it is betwetween the flashbacks and the usually the flashbacks comment in some way on the action the island. Hey here, Jack has trouble letting things go right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was like basically Sayid was well, I mean he was he was dealing with Lock like he was confronting Locke, not.
Speaker 1: Very effectually, right, right. I think Shannon wanted him to be dealing with Locke in an entirely different way. So, I mean, if the one of the themes of the flashbacks was he was willing to do all these things for a woman, including betraying his friend, maybe he said, hey, you know what that got me on this island, so maybe I'm not going to do anything for this pe. Yeah, and if he's like still thinking he's eventually going to get to Nadya. Should he be canoodling with Shannon?
Speaker 2: Good question.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to get to the great love of my life. And in the meanwhile, well, I like your blonde hair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but and I also like the recap. And you know what you were just mentioning is like he was willing to sacrifice his friend and you know, convince his friend to go ahead with this suicide bombing so that he could get what he wanted, which was to find his way back to Nadia. But he he tried to have it both ways. I mean, he tried to like, Okay, here's where the explosives are, which is what the CIA wants to know, and friend run away now and everything will be fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean obviously he should have known, like where was that guy gonna go?
Speaker 1: I mean, he was.
Speaker 2: Gonna be killed by his you know, buddies if he didn't do what he was supposed to do. So but I feel like said was trying to, yeah, not kill his.
Speaker 1: Friend, that's right. And his noble gesture of claiming his friend's book so it could be buried put him on the slight flucker.
Speaker 2: Yep. Let what happened?
Speaker 1: Was there some something about what we saw on the island that had to do with the greater good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good question.
Speaker 1: I feel like there should be. And then I'm just well missing it was I'm not going to kill Locke because I think he is going to help us survive.
Speaker 2: On as Island.
Speaker 1: That seems like they got to the end of the script and they said, oh crap, we haven't figured out how this relates to anything, like, yeah, Locke being alive is for the greater good.
Speaker 2: There you go, right, And also he didn't seem all that mad that Locke was like, oh, also, I hit you on the head and knocked you out, Yeah, a couple of weeks ago. So he was like, all right, well okay, but but you know how to hunt bore, So I guess you're staying.
Speaker 1: Of which there are apparently no more. Yeah, how much four of these people been eating? Was there just like one small family of war on this island.
Speaker 2: Well, it's just.
Speaker 1: That mother and the babies that invaded the camp. But once we got those, that's it.
Speaker 2: And bothered bothered Sawyer which side notes, yes, lovely little you know c or D plot of Sawyer is the baby whisper.
Speaker 1: I adored that. That's a parenting dip right there, mine something that makes your baby shut up, even if it's the sky you can't stand you know what. Yep, He'll sit there and read automotive magazines to the baby. Right. I was surprised Sawyer didn't put up much more of a fuss about that, but I guess if it keeps the baby from crying.
Speaker 2: Really did not want to hear the baby crying, so he was gonna go for it.
Speaker 1: That was the cutest thing of all the people to be on the baby, rightet it down for it's that Well, it's lucky because that guy didn't do much more than sit around the beach. Is it had been somebody who had an actual job to do. If it had been Jack, they'd have been screwed. That Jack has to be drugged. Yeah, take an take a nap. This is not relatable to me because if anybody says to me, stop stop worrying about things, stop doing things, just sleep, It's like, yes, sleep, sleep is good. Where's your couch. I will lay down. I'm just gonna take a little nap. Jack would constantly if I was Jack, I would constantly going, you know, this needs to be dealt with. I'm just gonna take a little nap and then I'll be bad.
Speaker 2: As soon as that's over.
Speaker 1: After my nap, is he sleeping again? That's the way it would be if I was Jack. Wake that guy up. What's the matter with him? Yes, somebody. Claire didn't want to sleep either, just I mean.
Speaker 2: I understand why she didn't want to sleep, because, yes, although we do know that Ethan's dead and he's the one who tried to get her baby, was working so loo, yes exactly.
Speaker 1: I have to laugh when when Charlie says, you know, I'll take the baby. I won't let anything happen to him. It's like, buddy, you said that to me, almost immediately got right. Especially she does not remember that, but if you do, he is.
Speaker 3: A Jack available to watch the baby. Virtually anybody else but Charlie. Somebody says, hey, we found Heroin in a plane, and Charlie is gonna dump the baby on the beach.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he wouldn't do that. But also they they definitely have multiple babies of very different ages and sizes playing that baby like sometimes he looks like he's about four months old, and sometimes he's was wondering like he's more like a month or two. He never looks like he's brand new.
Speaker 1: Just no I have. I have zero infant experience of my own. But yeah, that baby looked much too robust to be Yeah, no, large and robust little turnip.
Speaker 2: Head A good idea to tell Claire that I've been calling you.
Speaker 1: Has she actually said what the name is? I can't remember. I don't think I know what the baby's name is, but I don't know if it's been said.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know what it is from reading it on lost Pedia, but I don't think she's said it out loud.
Speaker 1: She's waiting for somebody to do her a favor and then she could bestow the name. No, I think it winds up being nobody's name. What else I enjoyed At some point I'm not sure who said it, but there was a declaration made no more lies, and I'm like, well, thank goodness, that's it for the rest of the show. Absolutely straight. Why I you know what, just just say? You know if Locke, if Locke told the truth, nobody would believe him. Hey, you know, I was in a wheelchair and now I'm not right, But he is. He is a little off the chain, Locke. He's just he's just telling people different people, different stories. And I mean he found the plane because of a dream, right, Yeah, nobody's gonna believe that. You know, he didn't tell Sayud that, But if he had, would it have made things better?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: It would have been like, well, if you're not going to tell me the truth, then don't even Yeah, but this island is weird, man, Yeah, the lies of truth? Truth is lies. How can you tell Sawyer is soothing to a baby's where this island is.
Speaker 2: A baby who grows and shrinks?
Speaker 1: Yep, time is weird on the island. Get a little to yet a little younger. Yeah, but I guess Locke has lost his little disciple. Balt has had it with him. I think he's afraid of Yes, luck, now what happened to the last young guy who went out exactly? Also, you know, Locke shows up at the funeral completely.
Speaker 2: Covered in blood, like, where have you been?
Speaker 1: Yeah? It's my fault? Yeah, my bad. But you know, the most painful thing for Walt is not losing I don't know what the age is. Maybe this isn't true, but it's not losing this guy he looked up to and enjoyed doing things with. But having to admit that his father is right.
Speaker 2: Oh no, exactly.
Speaker 1: Burned at him now he was right.
Speaker 2: You'll have to go back to playing back Kevin with Hurley.
Speaker 1: I guess, well, Hurley's good for it, we know now, yeah, we know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's got some doughly what else happened in this one? You know, like there wasn't much parenting in the flashbacks? I guess that we can.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, those flashbags were bad though, that was.
Speaker 2: You know Cia, Yeah, yeah, the greater good.
Speaker 1: It's okay to be It's okay to be bad for the greater good. Apparently maybe that sort of thing. Yeah, Locke is being bad for the greater good? Or is he? Though? Yeah, Locke, I don't quite know what's going on with that. Dude. Why doesn't he just tell everybody about the hatch? Why does it need to be a secret because it's special because it's spoke to him? Or yeah, what's he gonna do all by himself? Right?
Speaker 2: And also he he's making your lateral decisions about what is for the greater good? You know, like him him knocking out said because of them radio transmission. He's like, I did it because I didn't think people needed to know about this transmission, like, well, okay, well why why are you the one who gets to decide that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we know, it's just because he doesn't want to get off the island, right, But.
Speaker 2: Last week we talked about where is Claire getting closed for the baby? She does appear to have like a baby blanket, And then at one point someone asked Charlie like, well, it is diaper dirty, and Charlie just takes a sniff, like which is a very actually apparent thing to do, like just just you know, by nose is how you tell.
Speaker 1: Both shows we watched this week involved people smelling babies, true to determine the diaper situation.
Speaker 2: True, that's right, we will get to that tomorrow. But but yeah, they just I guess they're just telling us that there's diapers or you.
Speaker 1: Know, don't ask too many questions. It's the Magical Islands, I know it is. There's a cave full of diapers.
Speaker 2: You can get heroin, you can get coconuts, and.
Speaker 1: So that plain full of heroin is just like a ticking time.
Speaker 2: I know. Yeah, I'm worried about Charlie. Yes, that'll keep him busy for a while, it's true, But yes, that is That is unnerving knowing that that's out there, plus at least two more bodies that they haven't.
Speaker 1: Dealt with, right, Yeah, get those guys in the dirt.
Speaker 2: They've got quite this quite the cemetery they're.
Speaker 1: Going with, ye yeah, but they got their hands full. So everybody knows that the key to a locker full of guns is around Jack's neck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they mentioned this online.
Speaker 1: I thought Shannon had known that. She seems to mostly be off doing things that don't have to do with the welfare of the of the era. She hasn't been on the committee, you know, to uh, to do stuff anything at all on the committee to get a TAN exactly. Yeah, by Saya, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Last pedia they said something about how she somehow she found out from Kate.
Speaker 1: Okay or some point, but all right, I don't recall what had happened. So, yeah, a lot of people just spontaneously shooting or attempting to shoot people in the jungle. It never works out that well, right, although actually I guess it did for Charlie shott Ethan that worked out okay. Yeah, But it's always like dramatically the person you wouldn't expect to suddenly they're holding a gun, right right.
Speaker 2: And it may have you know, it worked out in terms of okay, Ethan's gone, But speaking of taking time bombs, we know he wasn't alone. So at some point it feels like somebody's gonna come looking.
Speaker 1: I wonder we got three more episodes left for the first season. When do you think.
Speaker 2: People are going to show up?
Speaker 1: I'm sure that we'll end the season with just a nice little clam bake on the beach, everybody happy to be together, warning those lost, looking forward to future adventures. There we go as the sun sets.
Speaker 2: Sounds good.
Speaker 1: And no more lies. They're all being completely honest with one another night, right right, little utopia there on the island.
Speaker 2: Right because much like parenting, you know, we know that once we solve a problem, then we're all good. From that point, we can.
Speaker 1: Go take a nap. Yeah, that's great, No problems that that nice reprobate everybody hates. We'll take care, We'll soothe the baby to sleep.
Speaker 2: That's good, no problem.
Speaker 1: So next Tuesday we will continue with season one episode twenty two, Have Lost Born to Run, which is I believe a k flashback because if you heard a future excellent and This is the last episode before the big two part season finale, so expect lots of dominoes to be set in place to be dramatically tipped in that those last two episodes all right, yay, thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links, and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash shop slash mamitude. But you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.