Speaker 1: One thing about this gene is the invisible and tangibles that they have.
Speaker 2: This team is really becoming a family.
Speaker 3: Let's not play one on tone, Let's wind it.
Speaker 4: I love listening to these guys after the show.
Speaker 2: So just thank you, give me are.
Speaker 5: Your attention, your fire and not a pisson. This is world champion, Dodger world championing for a small soft time. They get up people what they want to die too? In a row two is special.
Speaker 6: I'm like, yeah, it's not a headache.
Speaker 1: One of a con.
Speaker 5: This ball's gone. You ready to go?
Speaker 7: Sure?
Speaker 2: Hell old time.
Speaker 6: Go to the sound, grab your phone to get in on the show called eight six six nine eighty seven two five seven and.
Speaker 1: Go to the show.
Speaker 6: And now your host of Dodger Talk, David.
Speaker 5: Vasse, Welcome the Dodger Talk David Vasse, back with you live at Dodgers Stadium tonight until eleven thirty. We have phone lines open at eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy. Other exciting game between the Dodgers and Padres. These two teams seemed to give us our money's worth and then some so far this year and going back to last year's regular season and five game thrilling finish. In the NLDS Tonight, another thrilling finish as the Dodgers beat the Padres thanks to a pinch hit walk off home run by Will Smith off of Robert Suarez. It was an interesting battle as the Dodgers catcher came off the bench he was not starting tonight. Dalton Rushing got the start tonight, but the Dodgers took their shot with Smith after the Padres tied it up in the top of the ninth inning. He pinch hit in the eighth spot, which was occupied by Hayesung Kim to start the game. Keiky Hernandez came in in the middle of the game and Dave Roberts went to Smith to be able to try to win the game. In the bottom of the ninth inning, he was down two after he fouled off the second fastball down the left field line foul. It had the distance for a home run, but it was foul. In fact, the foul ball went farther probably than the home run. So that'll show you that all this launchangle and distance of home runs really don't mean a lot unless you get it over the wall and in fair territory and that's exactly what Will Smith did. On the third pitch, Suarez tried to throw him a change up. Smith was all over it like he was last night. Just put the barrel of the bat on the baseball, just dropped it right on the ball, and he pushed it to right field, just over the outstretched glove a Fernando Tatist Junior into the home run seats. It was served up on a platter right there for those lucky fans. It looked like the gentleman's wife, I hope just shied away from trying to try to grab the ball, which was smart because you don't want any questions of finn interference when you're sitting in those home run seats. And it was right there for them on the table, right next to their nachos, their surveysas, and they were able to have a walk off home run pinch it style from Will Smith and Fernando Tatist Junior. Not sure what was going on with him. It didn't seem like he really had the hops getting off the ground. If he did, he may have caught that. The timing also was a little off, But Will Smith and the Dodgers will take it on a four to three win eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number the Dodgers had fifty three thousand, five hundred and sixty eight at Dodgers Stadium tonight to witness their fifth win in a row. The Dodgers' attendance now over two billion. Fans have come through the gates here at Dodgers Stadium, and they thank you for your support. Without the passion of the fans, Dodger Stadium would not be the home field advantage that it is these days. It wasn't that way fifteen years ago, it wasn't that way twenty years ago. But Dodger Stadium has turned back into one of the toughest places to play. And that's why home field advantage is so important to the Dodgers as they try to get into the postseason and also have as many home games as possible. Don't discount that. I feel like people discount how tough of a place Dodger Stadium is to play these days, and the Padres and Giants have found that out yet again. The Padres fanned that out in the postseason last year, and the Giants found it out again before the Padres came to town, and the Dodgers have certainly taken care of business on this homestand they were able to take two out three from the Giants. They are now four and a half games ahead of San Francisco and they've won the first three games of this four game series against the Padres, so they're now six games ahead of San Diego in the NL West. The Diamondbacks are nine games back of the Dodgers in the NL West. So the Dodgers have actually separated themselves to start this ten game homestand from the rest of the NL West by beating the teams that are right behind them. And that's why, you know, I know the Dodgers and Dave Roberts want to downplay the significance of these games in division, but the reality is they're worth two games, a two game swing in the standings. So the Dodgers taking two out of three from the Giants when they came in here, and we're thinking about leaving town in first place. Now they're four and a half games back after they've lost four in a row. So the Dodgers have won the first three games of this series against the Padres and are looking to sweep them out. Of town in a four game series for the first time since two thousand and nine at Dodgers Stadium. Not to mention the Dodgers, which they started this twenty nine game stretch of facing teams above five hundred and teams that were fighting for a division or a wildcard spot back on May nineteenth, when they started the three game series against the Diamondbacks. The Dodgers during this twenty nine game stretch, which will end tomorrow against the Padres, have played the Diamondbacks three times. They have played the Mets seven times. They have played the Guardians three times in Cleveland, they have played the Yankees three times. They have played the Cardinals, and they have played the Padres now seven times during this twenty nine game stretch, and so far are seventeen and eleven during this grueling twenty nine game stretch really impressive. Also impressive was Emmitt she And tonight in his return to Major League Baseball, first time on the mound since September twenty seventh, twenty twenty three four innings, tonight one earned run with six strikeouts. Emmig Sheen was solid, and he was on Sports in at LA after Tonight's game.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it was awesome. Once I was out there. It was kind of just back in compete mode once she hit her in the box. But definitely before and then after, you're feeling emotions of just the past year for.
Speaker 2: Sure, stuff wise.
Speaker 6: Were you feeling lying, you felt comfortable with kind of the velocity, how you were attacking them, where things.
Speaker 8: Were, Yeah, I think so. I mean definitely maybe it ticked down on the VLO, but other than that, I feel like execution was really good. No walks, I'll take that every time. So definitely feeling a different pictures were before showgury it should body a little bit different, right, but how you not really maybe slightly different, but for the most part, everything feels pretty close to where it was before.
Speaker 1: And it's six strikeouts.
Speaker 4: You watch, you look at all your work this year, got twenty seven strikeouts.
Speaker 2: One watch has been what's the biggest key to gain at command?
Speaker 8: I think it's just you know, being in control of my body, being able to repeat my mechanics and just trying to, you know, keep that release point consistent and try to make adjustments when I do throw, you know, pitches where I don't want them to be. You know, that's a that's kind of a two yids the last thing of them.
Speaker 2: Why do you think it's come back to pick the pretty much the play was.
Speaker 8: I don't really know, but I'm definitely, you know, happy with it. I think, you know, it just comes from Burke being put in all the mound work before throwing multi bullpens, before even facing hitters.
Speaker 6: For sure.
Speaker 8: What was this process like over the last year and a half. How difficult was it just to kind of you know, push through rehab and how much more meaningful did it kind of make a going out there.
Speaker 6: And just be back out there?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean I was thankful we had a we had a really good group in Arizona this year, so it was good to spend time with those guys and not have to go through it alone. That was big. But yeah, it definitely meant a lot to get back out there, and you know, to watch what the team did last year was really special and definitely motivated me to get back out there.
Speaker 5: And she and tonight in his four innings of work where he allowed us one run and had six strikeouts with no walks through sixty five pitches, twenty eight of those were his fastball, he was able to throw his sweeper nineteen times. Tonight. He also mixed in his change up and even dabbled with the curveball, so he was using all four pitches tonight. And he was telling me yesterday that, you know, he's been feeling out the curveball. Maybe not a pitch that he's going to go to a lot, but he is certainly going to show it and put it in the back of hitters' minds. And tonight sixty five pitches and four innings, I would anticipate the next time she and is on the mound with the Dodgers, he'll go a little bit further, maybe five innings and stretch it out to seventy seventy five pitches when he's on the mount. So that was a great sign. And Justin Robleski also really good for the Dodgers tonight as he went five innings. Even though the Padres tied the score against Robleski in that ninth inning, he did his job. He hung in there for five innings, and look, it was big for the Dodgers not to go extra innings because they allowed Robleski to pitch that ninth inning because they wanted to try to give not just one or two guys or three guys arrest in that bullpen. They wanted to give everybody a rest in that bullpen. And if you go to extra innings, you may have to dip into it. But Max Muntsey made an air and throw on a ground ball by Manny Machado couldn't get the force out at second base, possibly even a double play, which really would have changed the dynamics of that inning being up three to one. But you know, Max has been playing so much better defense the last couple of weeks. That was just, you know, a mistake. These guys will make mistakes, and it was an unfortunate throw that Tommy Edmund was not going to be able to dig out. And Uh, look, Max Mounsey uh has done so well offensively and defensively since the beginning of May. I think we understand that we can uh with the way things ended tonight, We're not going to focus on that. Nex monthly on base three times tonight, including his second triple of the season. Eight six, six, seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Padres four to three. Let's go out to Ben in Washington, d C. Thanks for staying up late. In our nation's capital.
Speaker 2: Ben, always a pleasure day walk off.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was pretty cool. A lot of the guys, you know, even the umpires, This umpiring crew does not communicate really well because they did not really give that home run signal out and some of the guys, even Alton Rushing said he wasn't sure went over the wall, but uh, luckily it counted.
Speaker 2: Ben, what do you got We'll take it, We'll take it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I actually wanted to ask about what Dave had said today about.
Speaker 2: Hang Kim and get more playing time. What should we view this like for Michael Conforto especially.
Speaker 1: And what should we see as a progress for has On Kim over the last couple of months.
Speaker 5: Well, look at you, and I'm ready for that question.
Speaker 2: Ben.
Speaker 5: It sounded like Dave Roberts was giving us a soft, a soft answer that maybe Michael Conforto is going to be benched for the time being. And he didn't put it that way, but that's my translation. Listen to this, Ben. This was Dave Roberts earlier today talking about how Michael Conforto maybe sitting out a few more games than he has recently. Okay, we'll get that to you in a little bit. All right, Ben, we'll get it to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course, pleasure Dave there, all right, no.
Speaker 5: Problem, thank you for the phone call. I'm going to get that to Colin Yee because Dave Roberts kind of made it sound that Hay Sung Kim is going to get more time in the outfield and the you know, the Dodgers have given Michael Conforto ample opportunity to try to bail his way out of this whole slump here. It's it's been a little bit. It's been a little disappointing for Michael Conforto, who's on a one year contract. The Dodgers signed him to a seventeen million dollar deal. It just hasn't come to fruition. So we'll get to that at the top of the hour. Ray and Georgia, you're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi.
Speaker 7: Ray, Hey, David, a great job on the show as usual. And one of the things I want to say is, peep what we're doing and the Dodgers are doing with all these injuries I'm talking about with Freeman Betts and the pitching staff, and plus the fact that the Dodgers are playing these teams that are after them because they're world champions. And we're are with a four and a half game lead over the Giants and now a six game lead over the Padres. It's amazing. And if we get these starters back last now and Snell and I don't know about Asasaki if he's coming back, but I mean, it could be amazing. We may be able to build that record. So we do get those that first round by and it gives them a rest before they start playing again, you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: Look right right, I say this all the time when certain teams hang in there in games with the Dodgers, but then seventh, eighth, and ninth innings they just don't have enough coming out of the bullpen or don't have enough depth in their lineup. I feel the same way about the regular season. Yeah, the Giants and Padres are hanging in there until June, maybe July, but they just don't have enough to hang in there for the whole season, especially the Padres, who obviously have their ownership in a weird situation right now after the unfortunate passing of a great man, Peter Seidler. They don't have a lot of prospects to trade because they already traded them, so aj Preller is in a tough position to even try to add to a very thin depth group. So I just don't see them having enough to even win the division, and it's gonna be a photo finish in my opinion, for them to make a wild card push.
Speaker 7: Right, And let me ask you this, David. You know when you guys are playing, when we're playing the Giants in San Francisco, is there any chance you can do an interview view with John Miller? Because a lot of times I'm watching the Dodger games and I'll listen to the broadcast because I think John Miller and Vin Scully were two of the best I've ever heard, and so I was just wondering if you could do an interview with John Miller.
Speaker 5: I don't usually take requests, Ray, but yes, I'll try to get John Miller on the pregame show before the end of the season. How about that.
Speaker 7: That'd be great.
Speaker 1: And just hang in there.
Speaker 7: We were doing a great job and I can't wait for our next World championship.
Speaker 5: It's on his way, all right, Ray, thank you for the phone call. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Last night, we had some hitters being hit by pitches. The Dodgers. Lu Trevino hit Fernando Tattist Junior last night, and then the Padres responded by having Randy Vasquez hit sho He Otani in the next at bat that he came to the plate. And the issue the Dodgers had with Vasquez was, it took you two times to try to hit him. You try to hit him on the first pitch and you missed, and then you hit him right above the knee on his right leg. And I guess one of the unwritten rules is you get one shot if you miss it. Sorry, but Vasquez took another shot and he hit Otani. So Mike Shildt after the game last night kind of laid that out that he wasn't happy that Lutrevio hit Fernando Tattos Junior last night after hitting Tattas Junior in the first inning of last Tuesday night's game, But talking to Lou before the game tonight, he just said, you know, I can't explain it. I haven't hit a batter in four years, and I've hit him twice in the last week, and I completely understand the optics but I wasn't trying to hit him. I was just trying to come inside, and that's what I do against right handed hitters. I just yanked it a little bit too far, and I think if Mike Shildt took a step back, he'd understand that. But nonetheless, I don't believe Mike shilt whether or not he thought Trevino hit Tattas Junior intentionally. If your best player gets hit twice against the same team, a division rival, where you know attentions are high, you got to protect that hitter, and you got to understand that. But you only get one shot. You know you can't try to take if you don't get it on the first pitch. A little iffy right there, But nonetheless everything was cooled off tonight. The umpires did not issue warnings before first pitch, and even when Andy pie Has was hit again tonight in the bottom of the seventh inning by the Padre starter Stephen Colek, he understood it wasn't on purpose. And even when Mike Schiltz brought in the reliever and they crossed paths going across the field, Colick coming off the field, Paz and Colic did not have any issues with each other. So that was good, and look, this is great. This reminds me of a rod veritec Yankees Red Sox type of games, where you're seeing these teams battle it out in the postseason and certainly high intensity during the regular season. We saw it last year, we've seen it since twenty twenty, but it feels like it's been raised a notch after these two teams have faced each other in the postseason a couple of times in the last two or thre three years, and certainly after the Dodgers came back in that five game NLDS. And another layer to why the tensions may be running hot is because these two teams are seeing each other seven times within a week after not seeing each other for the first sixty games of the season. So you pack in these many games in such a short period of time, it'll feel like the postseason. And these two teams don't like each other. The Padres obviously do not like the Dodgers. Their emotions spill out over the dugout railing often, it's really obvious. And the Dodgers probably don't like the Padres either. In fact, I'll say it, the Dodgers don't like the Padres or their antics, and the Padres are resentful that the Dodgers are the Dodgers. So when you bring all of those factors in, you're going to have tempers boil over like we've seen. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk. When we come back, we'll hear from Dave Roberts about where the Dodgers are going with Michael Confordo after a slow start to begin the season. And also we'll check in with Jose Mota and hear from Justin Robleski after the Dodgers walk it off on a pinch hit home run by Will Smith in the bottom of the ninth inning off of Robert Suarez four to three victors over San Diego on a five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 6: Dodger Talk is available on AM five seventy LA sports dot com hand on the iHeartRadio app Back to more Dodger Talk with Dodger insider David Basse allowed and long strike for ss now The O two pitch Smith, which is a fly ball right center field tatis on there on at the warning track.
Speaker 5: Pat it's gone, It's gone, and this games is over.
Speaker 9: Just got be all to reach it for no no top Tis Junior.
Speaker 5: Will Smith comes home and now we go home. Brick Monday and Steven Nelson on the call tonight. That was the pin hit, walk off home run by Will Smith to give the Dodgers the win four to three over Robert Suarez and the San Diego Padres David Vasse live at Dodgers Stadium. We are with you until the bottom of the hour right here on Dodger Talk and we have phone lines open at eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy. Daniels Jewelers presents the home run forecast. Go to AM five seventy LA sports dot Com use the keyword home run for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jeweler's gift card predicting the number of home runs in the very next game. Daniels Jewelers own the dream all right. I had a chance to catch up with another Dodger catcher who was the starting catcher tonight, Dalton Rushing. He had a big, go ahead, two run single in the game to give the Dodgers a three to one lead in the bottom of the fifth inning. He also made a nice block of the plate in the ninth inning on a great throw by Freddie Freeman to get Brandon Lockridge out in the top of the ninth inning. A good all around game for rushing, and he had a great view of Will Smith's walk off home run because he was on deck. Here was rushing moments after Smith's heroics.
Speaker 4: Well, thank you branding it early. Well, nobody wanted to play extras. And there's one guy you trust going up there in that situation as well.
Speaker 5: And yeah, it was pretty cool to say you had a great view you were on deck. How did you see that at back going, especially after that fall ball down the left field line. Uh, not gonna lie.
Speaker 4: I was about just as confused as Will was. We thought Tatis caught it. I also thought he caught it and then he just started walking. So yeah, it all worked out. I mean, Will, he's such a great player. It's fun to be able to see that that close.
Speaker 5: You had a big part of tonight's game. Let's go back to the ninth inning. Freddie Freeman is able to have the field awareness to realize the runner at third Lockridge is breaking home. Were you surprised in that situation he was coming home.
Speaker 4: No, I mean they're pressing the envelope. They're gonna try to get a run across the board anyway possible. Guy like Freddy just fundamentally sound with the best of him, and obviously he's gonna make that play and take the out at home.
Speaker 5: What could you say about what Emmett and Robleski did tonight.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's massive being able to have those two guys come out here and just essentially just do their job.
Speaker 6: Do their job.
Speaker 4: They save a bullpen and give us a chance to obviously go ahead and sweep the weekend, sweep the series tomorrow and moving into the weekend a better situation.
Speaker 5: Hey, this is the way that Dodgers planned it. The one two combo behind the play tonight. Rush again, Will Smith, thanks.
Speaker 4: A lot for stopping absolutely, thank you so much.
Speaker 5: There he is Dalton Rushing, who had a really good game tonight, including that go ahead two runs single in the fifth inning, part of a three run inning for the Dodgers to take a three to one lead into the ninth inning. The Padres would tight in the top of the ninth inning, and the other catcher, Oh yeah, the All Star Will Smith with the pinch hit walk off home run for the Dodgers to give them the win four to three. You know, it's funny. Will Smith really made a reputation for himself during his rookie year of twenty nineteen being part of that weekend remember with Alex Verdugo and Matt Batty walk off Weekend. Will Smith hitting a walk off home run against the Rockies on that Friday, Saturday Sunday weekend in the middle of that twenty nineteen summer. And he has now three pinch hit walk off home runs for the Dodgers and s a big deal because number sixteen has broken a record that are number sixteen, Rick Monday held with the Dodgers. That was Will Smith's third career pinch hit walk off home run, breaking a tie with Rick Monday for the most in Dodger history. So it was passed down to a numbers another number sixteen. And we can't forget about the other number sixteen, Andre Ethier, who made a reputation being mister clutch as well. So something about that number with the clutch Gene. Let's go out to Sarkis in Valencia. You're on Dodger talk with David vasse Hi Sarkies.
Speaker 9: Hey, Dave, how you doing that? Just two quick points. First one is finally the concerto thing. It's way overdue in my opinion. You know, the analogy I'm going to use is you got a Ferrari sitting in the garage. Yeah, you continue to drive your pino. Dave Roberts finally made their decision. I'm play over due. Second point, the Dodgers have to reason to start the call. Hey, so look, I'll see you. The trade deadline has to come into a lot clear picture. With emmit Chian doing what he did tonight, that has to be a game changer for the Dodger front office. He basically upgraded himself to number two or number three?
Speaker 5: Oh really after four innings?
Speaker 9: I think so he looked amazing.
Speaker 5: What about when Blake Snell comes back? What about the future Hall of Famer Clayton Kershaw? What about Glass? Now you think he's uh, he's a number two over those.
Speaker 9: Guys they come back. No, Well, once they come back, you know, we'll see what happens. I don't trust anybody until they actually come back and pitch.
Speaker 5: All right, great, sarchise, I appreciate the phone call. Look, Emma Sheian's great, and certainly even Dave Roberts said a couple of months ago that Emmit Shean's going to have a big role and even a sleeper type of bet on Emit she in the second half of the season. And I'm not going to say that he is not going to have a great year, but that's a little presumptuous. After his first start, going four innings, throwing sixty five pitches, I believe he's going to be really good. But if Blake Snell and Tyler Glass now are back in healthy when October rolls around, they're going to be your number two and number three starters, with Yamamoto and Kershaw alongside them. And already we've gotten two phone calls about Michael CONFORDO. He was not in the starting lineup tonight. He's batting a buck sixty eight. The Dodgers have given him a very long leash, longer than a lot of players have been given the last ten years. If they would be performing this way, and Dave Roberts said before the game that he may not be getting as many opportunities to they want to give Kim some opportunities. I would be an advocate of mixing in kek Hernandez a little bit more because he's been relegated to pinch hit duties because they haven't been facing a lot of lefty starters. But you got to give them some credit at bats to be ready when those lefty starters are on the mound. Here's what Dave Roberts had to say before the game about Michael Confordo's struggles and the fact that he may not be getting as many opportunities as much as he was before.
Speaker 10: Just not getting to the heater. I think that's probably the start of it. And you know, when you don't hit the fastball, that starts to lends to a little cheating, chasing on spin, and so we got to get him back to the heater, to the big part of the field. But he's working on that. He knows that it's not something he doesn't know, and he's not trying to miss fastballs. So that's probably the genesis of the whole deal. I see him playing a lot still.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 10: I do think that in a meritocracy, in that vein, I think that Heysong has earned opportunities and I don't want to just kind of get him to lose his mojo and sit for four or five six days and expect good at bat. So I think that he's earning the opportunity to get somewhat of a consistent look and we'll go from there.
Speaker 5: Look that's fair. I mean, this is a results oriented business. The Dodgers have given Michael Confordo two hundred and forty three plate appearances. He's now hitting eighth. Whenever he has been starting recently, he has four home runs. They're far and few between. It just hasn't clicked. And quite honestly, I don't believe he's this bad of a player. He's a really good player, but for whatever reason, it just hasn't clicked yet. So maybe giving him a few starts off to work with Rob Van Sooye and Aaron Bates to get him mechanically straight, maybe get his confidence up, give him a mental breather, can help him reset his season. Because the Dodgers aren't just going to cut him, they're not giving up on him. But certainly, you know they've got really good players, and really good players need to play, and if you're not up to par, they're gonna find somebody else. And I think that's where the Dodgers are with Michael CONFORDO, Hey Sung Kim, and like I said, I really am a big advocate that Keith a Hernandez needs to get more starts when you don't see a lefty starter for seven to ten games. By the way, speaking of those groupings of hitters, we were talking about this before the game up here in the press box amongst the broadcasters. It is really sticking out the difference between the Dodgers seven eight nine hitters and the Padres seven eight nine hitters in this series and quite frankly for the Padres all season long. I believe last night the seven eight nine hitters for the Padres did not even have a hit, and in the first three games of this series, San Diego's bottom third of the order is a combined six for thirty two with two RBIs and only four runs scored. In contrast, the Dodgers seven eight nine hitters, including tonight's pinch hit home run by Will Smith, are combined eleven for thirty two, a three forty three batting average with three home runs, eight RBIs and nine runs scored. It's really been those guys, the seven eight nine hitters that have really done damage against the Padres in the first three games of this series because o'tani drove in a couple of runs in the first game of this series, but last night zero for four with four strikeouts. Tonight nothing significant. He struck out with the bases loaded to end the bottom of the seventh inning. Freddie Freeman is now getting base hits to get back on track to be driven in by those guys, and Mookie Betts has really not done much of anything in this series either. So it's been Andy Paiez, Tommy Edmund Will Smith, those guys that have been keeping this line moving. And you're gonna need guys like that. So the seven, eight nine hitters have been a big difference maker for the Dodgers. Eight six, six nine, eight, seven two five seventy is the phone number. We have a few lines open. We'll try to get to you, but we're gonna take another time out here. When we continue, Jose Moda will join us. Oh, Jose's there. Let's not take a time out. We're gonna roll on. We're gonna keep it going. That's what we do here. We keep it going. Let's check in with our guy, Jose.
Speaker 6: It's time to go around the horn with Jose Mota.
Speaker 5: All Right, the Dodgers are looking for their first four game sweep over the Padres at Dodgers Stadium since two thousand and nine. Jose Mota. This has been hotly contested first three games and tonight was no different.
Speaker 2: They're not wonderful, just to see that a rivalry is really playing up to the fans, to the player, to the intensity and to the results that you want. I mean, the Dagdiers have going a very good job set bringing themselves from those behind them, the ones that are pushing them and turning. I expect this happened all throughout the rest of the season, but it's good to see how they have rebounded and have understood Dave with all the stretch of good pitching they face, and teams have put the ball in play, and teams that don't strike out like a Potters and so the Cardinals and all that of the Mets, they're finding a way in those small little windows to really go out there and do some damage effectively.
Speaker 5: It feels like the intensity picked up when the Dodgers started that three game series at Petco Park, and it's carried over. Have you felt that I did.
Speaker 2: I think coming out of that star by Clayton Kershaw and Saint Louis, it was like, Okay, off to San Diego and you got to go out there and play well. I know everybody's going to be against you. The fans know what happened in October. They want a little revenge, and you go out there and take care of business. Dave Roberts, obviously he's playing it well with a medium with the players saying it's just another series. We got to play well.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: There's no doubt in my mind that between the fact that the Potters are a good team and Mike shild does want to be the Dodgers badly and knowing that they're always pursuing, they've stepped up in many ways. And you know, from catching the baseball, we're not talking about bag base running, We're talking about feeling the baseball. All those things that really went along with just not being coordinated at times are happening at the right time right now.
Speaker 5: How about that seventy eight to nine hitter discrepancy, The Dodgers seventy eight nine hitters really doing get Jose in the first three games of this series. Do you believe that's been a big difference maker.
Speaker 2: Oh that has been here today, there's no doubt. And now with the options of sometimes even moving monthly down a little bit more, Tommy Evans has been of presence down there where he had best. But the real difference think has been Hony Pious and what he's done from from the five spots six spot down and what he's brought to the at bat's the decisions he's making in the batter's box. He plays with a lot of intensity himself and then you know, on top of that, you replace a very popular guy in Austin Barnes with a young kid, and young kid behind the plate is doing a job that you expect him to do in terms of just one phase at a time. So the pitt he's not going to be there right now, don't worry about it. And the daughters have been very transparent. But they beneath those guys because if you look at the top of the odor today it cannot just be all about the one hint they got on base twice between show Hey, Mukia and Freddy and that's what you need. Tasker is you know, not quite there yet. But the guys at the bottom are making their lives and their evenings much easier than pleasant.
Speaker 5: Yeah, tonight was the first night where you could say it was the one to two punch behind the plate with the Dodger catchers right with Rushing starting the game catching two guys he knows really well from Oklahoma City coming up with a big two run base it in the fifth inning to break the tie, and then you got Will Smith with the heroics in the ninth inning. That's that's a threat that not a lot of teams have.
Speaker 2: Correct And then you know the whole thing about managing Will Smith. I see it's going to be very advantageous to the team and to Will Smith and for god like Will Smith to get his ego out of the way. He says, I know why they're doing this. He wants to play every day. He wants to be catching I should say, the majority of the game. But understanding that he also play a big role in developing this young catcher that's helping the Dodgers behind the plate and with a bat and guys that are behind the plate, and you ask for just continuity of sequencing, understanding a game plan, executing a game plan, and being a leader behind the plate anything to do offensively is a plus, but Will Smith has taken it to a new level. And then for God like Russia to be watching this, Dave, I'm telling you right now, I'm seeing the past. It is such an honor for him obviously, and a luxury to see somebody like that that sets a tone like Will Smith does. And communication that has been made and informed to Dallas and Russian is about catching catch and the hitting will come. We know you have not played, You've been an everyday player for all your life. Just understand your role right now. Take care of being great behind the plate, and everything else will be better. He's getting much better also now with a bet, now that there's a little like separation and knowing that I don't have to carry the team in the bottom of the order. I don't have to go out there and get base hits all the time. But of course he wants to get him, but he's understanding that you got to break it up sometimes. Just be a good catcher. Right now, the rest will come.
Speaker 5: Jose Mota is joining us after the Dodgers defeat the Padres tonight four to three. On top of the Dodgers winning this game, they also win in another department, the big picture department, by not having to go to their bullpen and use any of their high leverage relievers. We all know the Dodger bullpen has been used more than any other bullpen in baseball. How about Emid Sheen and Justin Robleski tonight combining to go the full game and not issuing a single walk. The Padre struck out nine times, six of them against Shean and did not take a single walk. The Robleski and Sheen did not issue a single walk. That is remarkable from two rookies.
Speaker 2: A great example of when Theaytelier pound the zone, Glattherm pound the zone. And for m I mean who The whole team is so happy for this kid who has worked so hard to get here. He's gotten a bigger and stronger He showed very good command today of three pitches. I know we had a conversation with him in terms of the curveball, which is a great show pitch. If he's not dropping for a strike, don't worry about it. It's a great show pitch. Just to offset your hitters and change just the way east west and north south that you pitch. But man, without thirty the riagle he has in his arm. Those risers are really exploding. And we saw a lot of check swings upstairs, swings and misses upstairs, and the bolt coming out of his hand really hot. And rob Leski, you know, having a conversation with him in San Diego. Actually there's outing in Saint Louis, and he was telling me that at times he's become cerebral, like thinking too much. How do I get this guy out? How how do I set them up to put him away?
Speaker 1: And he goes.
Speaker 2: I can just think about putting him away early, because this stuff is good enough. And in that case, I got to make my slaughter good early accounts and make it tight if I need too. So all the young players that I'm talking to and talking about Dave have all understood that it is a luxury to be in the big leagues, but to be learning from the guys are around, and certainly they're putting all that time on the bench of the bullpen VP to good use.
Speaker 5: Right now, all right, Jose Mota, we'll see you back at the ballpark tomorrow night. I'm sure these two teams will give us everything and more, and certainly a fun night here at Dodgers Stadium. Thanks for joining us, Jose.
Speaker 2: You got it.
Speaker 5: Good night, there he goes Jose Mota, part of the Dodgers Spanish radio broadcast with Luis Cochito Cruz and Pepe and Ningaz. And I still owe Pepe those tacos. I will get them those tacos after before the homestand is over, by the way, because I had predicted a Giants I had predicted a Dodger's sweep over the Giants, so it'll be easier to deliver these tacos after the Dodgers beating the Giants two out of three and now taking the first three games against the Padres. So you know I'll I'll feed that booth no problem, after the way things have gone on this homestand eight six six nine seven two five seventy is the phone number. Speaking of the end of the home stand, the Dodgers announced just about an hour ago that show hey. Otani's next start is going to be on Sunday against the National Sunday afternoon here at Dodgers Stadium, a one ten start. Otani makes his second start as a Dodger pitcher, so that'll be exciting as well. To close out this ten game homestand let's go back out to the phones. Bruce, who is here at Dodgers Stadium tonight? Bruce? Is that is that a big Sunday game changer for you? That Otani's pitching.
Speaker 3: I went through the uh, the craziness on Monday, and boy was worth it. It's just just the thrill of the idea that the generational player that he is, the that we get to see him come full circle and and just add to what he's already doing inane.
Speaker 1: I mean, the.
Speaker 3: Nationals aren't a big draw compared to all these division games, but I mean i'd watch him brush his teeth.
Speaker 2: I don't know if i'd pay on Sunday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll be there for sure. I was just really happy today that the game, the talk after the game was not about umpiring. That we don't need an Angel Hernandez situation with with somebody making the game about themselves instead of about the product on the field.
Speaker 2: And so thank you, Trip Gibson.
Speaker 3: See I hope you get out of town tomorrow night. And maybe maybe he gets an Angel Hernandez Award for being the worst umpire.
Speaker 5: Yes, well you know you knowing his name is not a good thing for Trip Gibson. That's something that I learned at an early age. When you know a referees name or an umpire's name, that means that they're they're putting themselves out there and maybe having more controversial calls or bad calls when you don't know an umpire's name. That's a good thing.
Speaker 2: Totally agree, and let's go for the sweep.
Speaker 3: I'm greedy, all.
Speaker 5: Right, Bruce.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Let's sweep these guys out of town and break their hearts because they wanted so bad against the Dodgers and if they lose. If the Padres lose tomorrow, they'll be seven games back of the Dodgers and not going to see them for a couple of months. Let's go out to North Hollywood. James, you're on Dodger Talk Live from Dodgers Stadium. Hi James, Hey David.
Speaker 2: Great to see it for the first time this season.
Speaker 1: Talk to Tim Kaits a while ago about Ben Casperius during the rotation and with Otani coming in now. I love the Otani Casparius combo. But as for it tonight, it's the youth movement. I am so stoked to see these young guys taking the ball and taking the pedestal Da've been given and delivering because a lot of other guys that have been giving that, you know, sixth man opportunity, have not delivered. And to see Emmitt Shean coming back off, Tommy John doing his thing, and the TV casters talked about Robo coming out and there's some different, there's some different about him, and he has been doing that the last three times.
Speaker 2: And so I just have to say that the Dodger's depth is lifting us up.
Speaker 1: It's bouncing, bullying the ship. And I feel really good about this season when we get our prime guys back to health.
Speaker 5: No doubt, they're not even at full strength, and they're in first place by four and a half games and six over the third place San Diego Padres. Thanks for the phone call, James appreciated. Here's another angle to this Dodger Padre rivalry, and like I said, it is a rivalry. And it reminds me of the Sacramento Kings when they rose up for about four or five years, and them and the Lakers had a thing going for that four or five year stretch from ninety nine to two thousand and five. The Kings have never been back since or relevant since, So this too will pass. This whole Padre are a team thing, but for right now, it's really fun. And I was on with Tony Gwinn Junior and his radio partner in San Diego the other day and his partner brought up how Padres fans really dislike Will Smith. He may be the most disliked Dodger to the Padres and that's a good thing, right because he's doing a lot of damage against San Diego. Not to mention he was a baseball prophet in some ways when he told me last year that Jerkson Profar was myster irrelevant. I mean Profar is out of baseball right now because he was suspended for ped so in some ways, Will Smith was ahead of his time calling Profar mister irrelevant. And another reason why Padres fans dislike Will Smith is because he has done so much damage already this year in the first six meetings between these two teams. Will Smith against the Padre this year nine for seventeen with three home runs, seven RBIs and two doubles. That'll make you really dislike the opposing player, especially when he does it in the clutch like he did tonight, a pinch hit, walk off home run off the Padres closer Robert Suarez. Before we say goodnight, I want to recognize a big anniversary in Dodger history, maybe one of the best no hitter pitch games in baseball history. Even though it wasn't a perfect game, it was a Hanley Ramirez error away from being a perfect game. This is the anniversary of Clayton Kershaw's one and only no hitter in his career to this point. It was against the Rockies, and here was the final out on Dodgers Radio.
Speaker 11: No balls, two strikes, two outs, fourteen strikeouts for Kershaw. Corey Dickerson is the batter. Here comes the two swung out and miss strike three and a no hitter. On the fifteenth strikeout of the game, Clayton Kershaw about to be mobbed by his teammates. The Dodgers win ate nothing. The greatness of Clayton Kershaw shown off yet again, another strikling chapter in the career of Clayton Edward Kershaw.
Speaker 5: That's a great call from our guy Charlie Steiner who was on the call with Rick Monday, and many believe that that was one of the greatest pitch no hitters in baseball history. In fact, Kershaw's fifteen strikeouts in that no hitter eleven years ago tonight against the Rockies are tied for the third most strikeouts in a no hitter in baseball history. The only pitcher in baseball history with more strikeouts in a no hitter is a fellow Texan, Noan Ryan, who did it twice with seventeen strikeouts and two of his no hitters seventeen with the Angels in nineteen seventy three and sixteen strikeouts in his no hitter when he was pitching with the Rangers in nineteen ninety one. By the way, Kershaw that night ted Warren Spawn for the most strikeouts and a no hitter by a left handed pitcher. Spawn did it back in nineteen sixty. And speaking of strikeouts, Kershaw's next start is on Friday night here at Dodgers Stadium against the Nationals. He is just twelve strikeout shy of three thousand in his career. He would join Randy Johnson, CC Sabathia and who else am I missing? Dwayne Steve Carlton as the only left handers to have three thousand strikeouts as a left handed pitcher in Major League Baseball history. So twelve away for the great Kershaw. Fifteen of those strikeouts eleven years ago tonight in that no hitter against the Rockies. So that was a special night. And I felt like Kershaw could have had at least one more a few years ago in Minnesota. But I'll just keep that to myself. Well, I really haven't kept it to myself. I've expressed that many times over the years. But happy anniversary Clayton Kershaw. Happy anniversary to Miguel Rojas, who made a great play to preserve that no hitter. He was starting at third base as a rookie that night. Happy anniversary to aj Ellis, one of Kershaw's closest friends to this day, who was catching that night. It was good that aj Ellis recovered after stepping on Drew but Terra's catcher's mask after the celebration in Philadelphia a week and a half earlier, when Beckett threw a no hitter in Philadelphia against the Philly So there we go, crazy to believe I was there for all that, lived all that, and we're gonna live tomorrow night too. To see Yoshi Yamamoto on the against the Padres. Ryan Burgett is on the mound for San Diego Morongo Casino. Dodgers on Deck begins at six o'clock tomorrow with first pitch at seven to ten. Thanks to Dwayne McDonald here at Dodgers Stadium. Thanks to Colin you back at our Burbank Studios. Great job screening the calls tonight, Colin, Great job doing it all back there in Burbank. Colin's gonna podcast the show and our pregame conversation with Max Munsey in a matter of minutes, and then you can download it. You can get all your Dodger content on the iHeartRadio app once again tonight. The final score from Dodgers Stadium. The Dodgers defeat the Padres four to three on a pinch hit walk off home run by number sixteen Will Smith. Coming up next is Ben Maller on Fox Sports Radio. Have a great rest of your night. Happy to be back ceoday. So Sally that such strap of plain