Speaker 1: Welcome to You Should Know Better with Mike C.
Speaker 2: Nelson, the guy who won't shut up about winning three times on Jeopardy.
Speaker 3: Welcome, Welcome to you Should Know Better, the trivia podcast that tests your knowledge and a little bit of your patience. Our goal here is to celebrate the theme of continuing education. We should always be learning and always be on the prowl to know better. Now we will meet our outstanding guests and hear all about what noble causes they are playing for, and shortly crown one of them the smartest person in the world for one week. But as right now, let's jump right into some questions and answers with our first to four rounds. Today tis our General Knowledge Round Round one, General Knowledge Thinking caps on YouTube, pencils at the ready, and away we go. There are eight questions in the General Knowledge around Here is question number one. Name three of the four states that have the most electoral votes in a presidential election. Name three of the four states that have the most electoral votes when we go vote in November for the president. Name three of four For question number one.
Speaker 2: The two are very easy, and then like the third, it's complicated.
Speaker 4: See I feel like I feel like it's easy. But then I also feel like I'll be humiliated after I read what I wrote.
Speaker 3: Jackie, how are you feeling after one question?
Speaker 5: Feeling? I'm feeling good. I would not get this. I wouldn't get at three.
Speaker 3: I'm proud of your honesty.
Speaker 4: That makes me less confident than I was before.
Speaker 6: So I was nothing to do is like what the answer is? It just has to do with what my personal knowledge is. And this is got it the blind spot?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: Question number two? Here we go. What Sue is famous for authoring the Alphabet series of detective novels? What?
Speaker 4: Oh fuck you?
Speaker 2: Sorry? Tired my friend? But someone who someone who worked in a Borders bookstore for about eight years old, Well know this? And if I don't, I, if I wrong, I will be I look such an an idiot. But I think I know. I think I know.
Speaker 3: Okay, good for question number two again. What Sue is famous for authoring the Alphabet series of detective novels. She wrote all of them. A is for Arson or whatever, B is for buggery I think was her yeah, big best seller.
Speaker 4: And it was really fun to read about how all those people died of buggery.
Speaker 1: Really, I don't know it was entertaining. I just didn't know.
Speaker 2: He was her croissant, which was hard to work into a murder. But she may. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, when when they're stale, they're like tiny boomerangs.
Speaker 2: They they are, They're really really pointy, all right?
Speaker 3: Question number three, What Muppet's girlfriend is a chicken named Camilla? Oh?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, you're hitting my sweet spot. I read your journals, So you're asking which muppet is attached to Camilla? Yes, like romantically?
Speaker 3: What Muppet's girlfriend is a chicken named Camilla?
Speaker 2: Who is also kind of my fashion icon inspiration for sure?
Speaker 1: Camilla is or the Muppet?
Speaker 2: No, the Muppet, the Muppet. I don't want to give you a hint.
Speaker 4: But oh yeah, well now I know exactly who it is.
Speaker 6: He's nude and only ranging a boat tie, so that's got to be Fozzy.
Speaker 3: All right, moving right along, this is going great. Question number four of eight in the General Knowledge Round circa eighteen ninety, Levi Straussen Company used what three digit number to designate their famous copper riveted waste overalls. For question number four circa eighteen ninety, Levi Straussen Company used what three digit number to designate their famous copper riveted waste overalls. All right, I'm gonna give you some time for number five because it's a lot of names. What actresses stand up for Maya Rudolph's character in the film Bride'smaids? Name those bridesmaids? Wait, we have to name all of them, all of them, all the actresses, all of the actresses there are. I'll give you that hint. There are five that stand up from.
Speaker 2: My eyes, I can name you one, okay, and also maybe the name of the guy that the other one was hooking up with.
Speaker 3: So again, for question number five, what actresses stand up from Maya Rudolph's character in the film Bride'smaids On the cover? You know, Maya's dressed in white and they're all dressed in pink up against the brick wall. Yeah, famous actresses.
Speaker 7: Oh man, all right, here we go.
Speaker 3: Question number six of eight in round one. This is a multiple choice question. A digitabulist collects what a digitabulist do they collect? Tea spoons, thimbles, or wristwatches. A digitabulist D I G I T. A bullist collects what teaspoons, thimbles, or wrist watches? For number six, M all right, Question number seven, a little music question for you, and our penultimate question in the General Knowledge Round? Who are the two original members of Public Enemy that formed the group on Long Island back in nineteen eighty five alongside fellow member Professor Griff? Who were the original two members of Public Enemy? And for a bonus point, can you name their original DJ? Oh shit, your chance for a bonus point? So again for number seven, who are the two original members of Public Enemy that formed the group on Long Island back in nineteen eighty five alongside fellow member Professor Griff? And then for a bonus point, who was their original DJ? With one of the sweetest fades of all time.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking of the scene in news Radio where one of the original members of that group appears and Phil Hartman says, the original Ryan Annibal. No, I can't remember his name. It's killing me.
Speaker 3: We'll see if it pops into your head. Okay, all right, all right? Question number eight here we are the final question in the General Knowledge Round. What federal holiday falls on November eleventh? Every year? November eleventh? What a federal holiday? There's I don't know, around a dozen, I think federal holidays throughout the year, which one falls on November eleventh every year. All right, pencils down, you two. We will go over your answers in just a few quick moments. But it's time to meet our wonderful guests. We have a fellow who's on the podcast from Monrovia, Indiana. You've seen her on Young Sheldon, the Connors CSI Vegas, Fresh off the Boat, and she'll be in an upcoming show called Monsters The Menendez Brothers Story, which will be on Netflix soon. My friend Zabeth Russell is here woo By.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can follow Zabeth on social media at that Zabeth and at Community cook Book round Up. Holy smokes, Zabeth. What charity are you playing for today?
Speaker 4: I'm playing for Old Friends Senior Dog Sanctuary.
Speaker 3: That is incredible. We're happy to make a donation in your name to that wonderful charity. Win or lose again it's the Old Friend's Senior Dog sank Shuete. And now it's time to meet your opponent. He was an Air Force brat. But you're gonna have to help me with this one. Your your city in Maine. What do you consider your home hometown?
Speaker 2: Opusbig Island a small coastal community and on an island off the coast of Maine. That's where my family has had a house since the late eighteen hundreds. Where where's the best? It's actually been and visited recently.
Speaker 3: I have It's it's very lovely, so cool. Shebig Island, Maine, fantastic. He works for the Late Show. My new friend Opus Mareski is here.
Speaker 2: It's me.
Speaker 3: It's a me. You can follow Opus on social media at Hey, it's Opus and Opus. What charity are you playing for today?
Speaker 2: World Central Kitchen, which is Chef Rose Andreas's charity that it's based around the premise that everyone deserves to eat, no matter where they are and what their situation is, which I think is a lovely thought.
Speaker 3: It is, it's beautiful. It's one of the best ones around the planet. World Central Kitchen Again, we're happy to make a donation.
Speaker 2: Do I get a point? Name? Do I get a point for that? For?
Speaker 3: I think you both should get You both should get like five points for having I think this is the best matchup of names we've ever had. So Bath versus Opus, I think, like, yeah, Jackie, give them five points just to start. We've never done this before, but like Opus versus a Beth, you win already, so you know our great guests, you know what wonderful charities they're playing for. But now it's time to get back to the game, get down to brass tacks. Let's go over our answers for the General Knowledge round. Question one was named three of the four states that have the most electoral votes in a presidential elections. A Beth, start us off. What did you get for number one?
Speaker 4: Okay, so the three that I wrote down are California, Texas, and New York.
Speaker 3: California, Texas, and New York. Great guesses, Opus, what did you put?
Speaker 2: I did new York, California, and Massachusetts.
Speaker 3: Very great guesses. Here is the correct answer. We got California. Number two is Texas the lone star our state. Number three is Florida, and number four is Nueva York, New York. So Zabeth nailed it. Massachusetts is up there, but it's not in the top four. So California, Texas, Florida, and New York are those four states that have the most electoral votes.
Speaker 2: I wrote down Florida and crossed it out, which is okay. I can accept my fate, but you.
Speaker 3: Know, don't second guess yourself. Opus. Goddamn it, you're right.
Speaker 2: I shouldn't. Oh should I? No? I shouldn't, Yes, I should No, I shouldn't.
Speaker 3: But I think I think Opus is off the Schnei with this one from his Barnes and Noble job here. So number two is what Sue is famous for authoring the Alphabet series of detective novels. Opus start us off Grafton, Sue Grafton, Zabeth, What did you put?
Speaker 1: I also wrote Grafton.
Speaker 3: Boom and Double Boom. It's Sue that wrote all those detective novels. Everyone's cooking with gas. Here we go. Question number three? What Muppet's girlfriend is a chicken named Camilla? Zabeth?
Speaker 4: I wrote down Gonzo Gonzo.
Speaker 3: The Great Opus. What did you put?
Speaker 2: I also wrote down my fashion inspiration Gonzo.
Speaker 3: It is true of people. You can't see it at home, but Opus is Gonzo personified, fucking fantastic. Natalie attired than Gonzo and Opus. Everyone gets the points. That's three in a row for Zabeth.
Speaker 4: Starting off a strong, so strong, My confidence is through the roof. I'm I'm I'm just busting out of my brushes over here.
Speaker 3: Question number four circa eighteen ninety Levi Straussen company started using what three digit number to designate their famous cupper riveted waste overalls opus. I said, four oh one, four oh one, Zabeth, what did you put?
Speaker 4: I guessed five hundred with the like My guess is that the overalls were first, and then five oh one was the genes that came second after five hundred.
Speaker 3: You guys are both right there, you're both right on it, But you should have just gone with the one. We all know it's five oh one. They started doing that all the way back in eighteen ninety. Yeah, they took overalls out and then started calling them jeans years later. But yeah, the copper riveted waste jeans is still five oh one from back in the day. So if you put five oh one at home, give yourself a point. Question number five, what actresses stand up for Maya Rudolph's character in the film Bridesmaids? So can you name all those actress actresses that played the bridesmaids? Zabeth? What did you put?
Speaker 2: All?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 4: I have four? I wrote, Kristen wig Rose Byrne, Melissa McCarthy, and Wendy McClendon. Covey.
Speaker 2: Oh, oh that's good.
Speaker 3: Oh, this is owing, I got three? What did you get?
Speaker 2: Three? Christian Brigg, Ellie Kemper, and Melissa McCarthy.
Speaker 3: There it is between you two. You got all of them. So this is what we're gonna do. Let's give two points to Zabeth forgetting four, and we'll give one to Opus forgetting that's fair three out of the five. That was really well done. But yeah, Kristin Wig, Melissa McCarthy, Ellie Kemper, Wendy McClendon, Covey and Rose Byrne are those bridesmaids? For number five of the all right? Question number six, a digitabulist collects what it was multiple choice teaspoons, thimbles, or wristwatches. Opus, I said thimbles. Thimbles, Zabeth, what did you put?
Speaker 1: I also guessed thimbles.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. The correct answer, though, is thimbles. It's for your digits, a digitabulust, put those little things on your digits. It is thimbles. For number six, you guys are kicking all the ass. Question number seven, who are the two original members of Public Enemy that formed the group back on Long Island Back in nineteen eighty five, Long signed fellow member Professor griff And for a bonus point, who was their original DJ, Zabeth, what did you come up with?
Speaker 1: Okay, I wrote down, I wrote down.
Speaker 3: Chuck D and Doctor dre very great, Opus, what did you put wrong?
Speaker 2: Coast? But you know, I said, I mean, I don't, I don't this is right at all. But I also said Chuck D. And then Flavor Flaves. Who is I don't know if it's original member, but I know that's the thing. And I have no idea who the real DJ was.
Speaker 3: No DJ, it was one of my favorite mcs of all time. Chuck D and Flavor Flave, Chuck.
Speaker 1: D, Oha slave, you got it.
Speaker 3: We'll give Opus the full point there, U And the DJ for everyone playing at home with the sweet Fade and the sunglasses was Terminator X. Terminator h oh yes was their famous DJ for many years before him and Griff left the group. But yeah, it was Terminator X was their DJ. And finally, question number eight, what federal holiday falls on November eleventh of each year? Opus?
Speaker 2: I said, D Day or like Victory Day? I know it's like eleven eleven. At eleven eleven, I lived in New York for a while and there was like those would ring on that day at eleven eleven on November eleven.
Speaker 3: Zabeth, what did you put?
Speaker 1: I wrote down Veterans Day?
Speaker 3: Do we have like ve or VJ Day or Veterans Day? The correct answer is Veterans Day Veterans Day. Oh, so we'll give zep Zabeth that point and then Jackie. We got so many numbers to go on a round one. We started off strong with their name points. So what are we I know we started.
Speaker 5: Off strong in general?
Speaker 6: Well, Opus, you have a grand total if we're including, and we are we are including your name points. So you you're starting off strong with nine, and Zabeth, welcome to the double digits.
Speaker 5: You're in the league with eleven.
Speaker 3: Shit, it's eleven to nine after one. Super fun close game, great scores after one. As we enter round two of four, which is always our pop culture grab bag.
Speaker 1: Round two pop culture grab Bag.
Speaker 3: Today in the grab bag we have a TV round. We're talking about television and these are all questions about shows that got their start in the nineteen nineties. Some of them made their way past that into the early two thousands, but most of these are about nineties TV shows. There are eight questions in this round. Here is question number one, what famous author created the hit show er that started its run on NBC back in nineteen ninety four. For number one, what very famous author created the hit show er that started its run on NBC back in nineteen ninety four.
Speaker 2: I think we all know it was Doctor Seuss.
Speaker 3: Theodore Geisel. If you're nasty, Yeah, yeah, you're nasty?
Speaker 5: Yes yeah.
Speaker 3: I remember seeing this in the credits and being like.
Speaker 2: Uh, what the hell?
Speaker 3: All right? For question number two, Holly Marie Combs portrayed one of the four main witches featured on Charmed? Can you name the other three on that show Charmed? Of the actors, let's do the actresses that portrayed the witches. So, Holly Marie Combs was an actress that portrayed one of the four main witches featured on Charmed? Can you name the other three actresses that portrayed those witches on that show? There was a lot of gossip about this show and the actresses, and one left the show and one was replace by the other. And I feel like I.
Speaker 1: Can picture the poster.
Speaker 4: Yeah mind, but I'm like, I never really watched the show, so I'm like, whose face is that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Give me my witches? Teenage or don't give them to me at all.
Speaker 3: Yes, thank you so again. For question number two, Holly Marie Combs portrayed one of the four main witches featured on Charm. Can you name the other three actresses that portrayed the other three witches on that show? All right? Question number three, The memorable character Shanine Jenkins appeared on What Fox Sitcom from nineteen ninety two to nineteen ninety seven. Just name that show where Shannine showed up from time to time amidst a bunch of other characters played by the same actor the best For question number three, Yeah, the memorable character Shane Jenkins appeared on What Fox Sitcom from nineteen ninety two to nineteen ninety seve for question number three, all right? Question number four goes like this, What sketch show from the nineties featured sketches, shampoo, megaphone, crooners, Mayo, sterred, mustard anas, and the Story of Everest, among a billion others that are fantastic? But name that sketch show? For number four, What sketch show from the nineties featured sketches, shampoo, megaphone, crooners, Mayo, stred, mustard anas, and the story of Everest, among many many others.
Speaker 2: It may help that I got my first internship at the production somebody that made this show. Oh my yeah, sorry.
Speaker 3: Question number five of eight in your pop culture grab bag today, we're talking about TV that started in the nineties. A city doctor is forced to work in the room Alaskan town of Sicily and what early nineties CBS show? Again for question number five, A city doctor is forced to work in the remote Alaskan town of Sicily in what early nineties CBS show? This was a fun show? For question number five, this is one.
Speaker 4: Of my all time favorite shows all of like, I love this show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right? And then there were three Question number six on The Simpsons, A Poo and Manula had how many kids all at once? From taking too many fertility drugs?
Speaker 4: God, I feel like Opus is definitely going to know this one, and I'm not going to know it.
Speaker 2: I mean, I constantly wrote down a number and then now I'm like, I really don't know, but that it was a solid guess.
Speaker 3: Yeah. For question number six again on The Simpsons, Apoo and Mangula had how many kids all at once from taking too many fertility drugs? I need a number for number six?
Speaker 5: Hmmm, all right.
Speaker 3: I don't know if question seven will be easier hard. It'd be difficult for me because I haven't watched this show. But the fifth TV series in the Star Trek universe was this one on UPN that came after the Next Generation and around the same time as Deep Space nine. Name that fifth in the Star Trek series on TV. It came after the next generation and was around the same time as Deep Space nine, but it was called Star Trek. What for number seven? All right? And finally question number eight of eight in the grab bag, what titular cartoon character seems to always be trying to impress his classmate and crush patty mayonnaise? We have two mayonnaise questions in this round. I just noticed what titular cartoon character seems to always be trying to impress his classmate and crush patty mayonnaise?
Speaker 2: Do you have to have the first and last name or is it okay to have the first name, like when you say titular.
Speaker 3: Just the name of the show is the name of the character? Yeah?
Speaker 6: That did just jog my memory of what their last name is and when it comes to you or when I reveal it later. They did a great job naming all the characters in that in that show for sure.
Speaker 3: All right, pencils down, Let's go over your answers for round two, which is the pop culture grab bag. Today, we're talking about TV, more specifically TV that got its start in the nineties. Question one was what famous author created the hit show er that started its run on NBC back in nineteen ninety four opus start us off.
Speaker 2: I was guessing Michael Crichton, just because he seems to write all of the things from the nineties.
Speaker 3: Michael Crichton, great guest, Sabbeth, What did you put.
Speaker 4: Like the only nineties on reckon thing was John Grisham.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I wrote down.
Speaker 3: That is a hell of a guest, John Grisham, because he's a guest all over the nineties. The correct answer is Michael Crichton. He did create e r of Jurassic Park and all that stuff, Congo, all that fame, but he also did er Michael Crichton for number one.
Speaker 2: Michael Crichton was the John Grisham of Michael Crichton's.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's what they say about him always. I don't think he likes it.
Speaker 4: Very much.
Speaker 3: No, he does not, all right. Question number two, Holly Marie Combs portrayed one of the four main witches featured on the show Charmed. Can you name the other three actresses that portrayed witches on that show over its run over a at least a handful of years? Is a beeth? What did you come up with?
Speaker 1: Okay, I think I'm right.
Speaker 4: I have Alyssa Milano, Rose McGowan and Shannon Doherty.
Speaker 3: Oh opus, what do you do?
Speaker 2: It's only perfect sense to me. I got I know this is wrong, but I was imagining a woman with the from cheeks and I think and I just said to Tiffany Amber theeeson, which I know is wrong, but that was Yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, Tiffany amberthe thesion. That's a great guess. The correct answers are Shannon Doherty, Alyssa Mulano, and Rose McGowan. She nailed that all three. Damn. Check out the big brain on, Sabeth.
Speaker 4: I have such a memory for women wearing black on nineties posters.
Speaker 3: The craft Charmed.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I at first I thought if I rose a bulk, but then I was like, no, that's the craft.
Speaker 3: So that's the craft, all right? Question number three, The memorable character Shannene A. Jenkins appeared on What Fox sitcom from nineteen ninety two to nineteen ninety seven. Opus, I said Martin Martin. Sabeth, what did you put?
Speaker 4: I also put Martin.
Speaker 3: It is Martin Lawrence as shannane Ay Jenkins. It is Martin for number three?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 3: Question number four? What Sketch Show from the nineties featured sketches shampoo, Megaphone, Crooners, Mayostred, Mustard, Ana's and the Story of Everest, amongst many others. Zabeth, what did you put?
Speaker 4: Okay, So before Opus said what he said, I had written down kids in the Hall, but then I changed it to the state the state.
Speaker 3: Great guess, Opus, what did you put?
Speaker 2: I'm sorry that wrong both times because it was mister Show.
Speaker 3: Mister Show. The correct answer is, in fact, mister Show with Bob and David that was on HBO for those four seasons. How long were you there?
Speaker 2: H Well, I was there after the show was done. But I used to do a web This is very ninety story. This is the most ninety story you could expect. I did the website for a band called Soul Coughing, which nobody quite remembers, but they're getting back.
Speaker 3: To My roommate at the time, Fred Warner, had those CDs and played them all day long, so I yeah, they were bid coughing. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And one of the people, one of the editors who worked on the show was like into it and sent me a bunch of tapes when I was still in college and sent me a s bunch of tapes from Mister Show. And I was like, this is great, and I applied to be an intern and the show was over by the time I got to Dakota Films and I did an internship there where I did things like I alphabetized a bunch of magazines they had. They didn't really know what to do with me as an intern, but I was happy to be part of the dream machine of Hollywood for real.
Speaker 3: That's so cool though, because yeah, just seeing that symbol now, it's like it always reminds me of Mister Show, Dakota Films. That's awesome, all right. It was Mister Show with Bob and David. For number four question number five, A city doctor is forced to work in the remote Alaskan town of Sicily in what early nineties CBS show Opus.
Speaker 2: Oh, that would be Northern exposure.
Speaker 3: Northern exposure is the Beth, what did you put?
Speaker 1: Northern exposure?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: What was it?
Speaker 3: Joel Fleischmann? Yes, Ron Morrow and a bunch great character actors on that show. But yeah, the correct answer that great show Northern Exposure on CBS. Back there for number five, number six on The Simpsons, A Poo and Mangula had how many kids all at once from taking too many fertility drugs? As a Beth, I.
Speaker 4: Put and this is just a complete guest because I have no idea.
Speaker 1: I put thirteen.
Speaker 3: Thirteen. Great guess, Opus, what did you put?
Speaker 2: I put eight? But I feel like I just like literally just now thought twelve. So I'm gonna go with twelve, even though my papers is eight. You can take whatever you.
Speaker 3: Want, Okay, which one do you want to go with? Oh?
Speaker 4: Man, I know feel like we're playing prices right now. Like he's like he's trying to get just right underneath me to under one dollar.
Speaker 3: One dollar?
Speaker 2: Yeah, one dollar, dog, I'm gonna go with my original, which is eight on my paper.
Speaker 3: Eight final answer, final answers eight. Okay, A Poo and Mangula are famous for having ac tuplets, so it is eight oh, go with your gut yourself.
Speaker 5: It was you almost fucked yourself over.
Speaker 3: Yep. Question number seven, this fifth series TV series in the Star Trek universe was this one on UPN that came after Next Generation and around the same time as Deep Space Nine. It was Star Trek What Opus, Voyager Voyager? Question mark, Zabeth, what did you put?
Speaker 4: I also put Voyager.
Speaker 3: Wow, Voyager and Voyager. The correct answer is Star Trek Voyager.
Speaker 4: Oh, literally, the only one I could think of.
Speaker 3: And finally, question number eight, what titular cartoon character seems to always be trying to impress his classmate and crush Patty Mayonnaise? Zabeth? What did you put?
Speaker 4: I don't think I got this one right, but I put Arnold of Hey Arnold.
Speaker 3: Oh that's a great guess, Hey Arnold Opus? What did you put?
Speaker 2: I put Doug of Doug Doug, Doug.
Speaker 4: I think you're I think you're right now that you say that, I think Opus is right.
Speaker 3: We have Arnold and Doug. The correct answer is Doug. It is Doug from Doug that always has a crush on Patty mayonnaise and his last name is Funny.
Speaker 5: It's Doug Funny and johny mayonnaise. How good is that?
Speaker 3: That's real good, Doug Funny, that's so good. All right, Jackie lay it on us. Where are we at at halftime?
Speaker 6: What a wild second round? It truly is anyone's game. Zabeth, you have fifteen points in Opus. You took the lead with sixteen.
Speaker 2: Oh what exciting?
Speaker 3: Excited it is going on sixteen to fifteen at half a time.
Speaker 1: This is lunacy, this is nuts.
Speaker 3: We're here with Zabeth Russell. You can follow her on social media at that Zabeth. And at the Community Cookbook round Up. She's playing for Old Friends Senior Dog Sanctuary. And we're here with Opus Mareski. You can follow him on social media at Hey it's Opus, and he's playing for the World Central Kitchen. Holy cow, we got a barn burner of a game. As we exit round two and get ready to enter round three, which is always the dreaded or infamous lightning round.
Speaker 1: Round three, the lightning round.
Speaker 3: Oh boy, so here we go Opus. You're in the leads, so Zabeth, you're gonna go first in the lightning round. You're trailing by one and today in the lightning round, you could choose from these three places to go and have some fun. You could choose from either the video arcade, the roller rink, or the drive in movie theater. Again, those headings have nothing to do with the question or the answer, just something to choose. So what's your poison?
Speaker 4: You know what? I'm kind of feeling the roller.
Speaker 3: Rink doing the roller rink fantastic. So I'm gonna say this question twice. I'm gonna say, go, I'm gonna hit the button. You're gonna have twenty seconds to say as many things as possible in those twenty seconds. Opus jots some answers down because I'm gonna come straight to you with your five second rebuttal. As soon as the Beths twenty seconds are up, here we go. Here is your roller rink lightning round question? Before Paris? Can you name the previous nine Summer Olympic host cities? So Paris just ended a few seconds ago, but you've been alive for all of these So in the roller rink again, before Paris, can you name any of the previous nine Summer Olympic host cities? Twenty seconds on the clock.
Speaker 4: And go, oh my god, Okay, Salt Lake City was one, right, and did we have one in.
Speaker 1: We had one in Rio.
Speaker 4: We had we had god, this is wrong, Lillehammer, Norway, we had had.
Speaker 1: Stop.
Speaker 3: You got Rio. You got Rio. You named a couple Winter Olympics sites and lil Lhammer and Salt Lake City, but you got Rio. Pasionnaro, which was yeah, about eight years ago, was an I think I.
Speaker 1: Got caught up in my mind that it was like in the last nine years. And now I'm like, oh, it's every It's not every. It's okay. Now I'm like, oh, I can think of a couple more. That's okay though.
Speaker 3: So you got one. You got Rio. That was just a couple Olympics ago. Five second rebuttal Opus to see if you can steal some answers again before Paris, can you name the previous nine Summer Olympic host cities five seconds and go.
Speaker 2: The only one I can definitely say is La, because I know that was like eighty four and then I've got.
Speaker 3: Stop stop stop stop. La was just before it just missed. It was like it was the tenth one on this list. It wasn't in the top nine. So let's go over no harm, no fall. Let's go over the ones we didn't get to. The one that was a switch that actually happened in twenty twenty one because of the pandemic was in Toke Tokyo had one not too long ago. Then we had Rio, Then we had the London Games. Then in two thousand and eight with that crazy opening ceremony, you had Beijing, China, right, oh yeah, then you had Athens, Sydney, Australia, Atlanta back in nineteen ninety.
Speaker 2: Six, yeah, would your jewel.
Speaker 3: And then ninety two was Barthelona and eighty eight was Soul, South Korea. So yeah, we went La La which, yeah, we'll be back here in twenty twenty eight here. So that was your roller rank question. We got a point out of that one. But now Opus, it's your turn in the barrel. You could choose either the video I believe, the video arcade or the drive in movie theater for your life.
Speaker 2: I mean, I know that they have nothing to do with the actual topics, but I'm going to go video arcade because that's closer to my heart.
Speaker 3: Okay, the drive in movie theater was kind of a geography question that's just going to go into the hopper for a future game. Okay, is your video arcade lightning round question? Twenty seconds on the clock. I'm gonna say, go, give me as any as many answers as possible. Zabeth jots some answers down because I'm gonna come to you with your five second rebuttal straight away. Okay, here is your video arcade Lightning round question per in it dot com. What are the top nine pasta shapes the types of pasta that people love to eat? Per in it dot com What are the top nine pasta shapes? Twenty seconds on the clock and go.
Speaker 2: Spaghetti, see Rigatoni, Flussili, other ones, uh, Linguini, angel hair um Ooh did I mention my father was a pasta maker? That seems like it might be something I should mention. Uh stop, you got three?
Speaker 3: You got three? You got three? You got number one on the list spaghetti, of course, number six, Linguini and number eight Fusili. I think those of that you got. You maybe got another one, but I think those are the three. I definitely heard you guys, so Zabeth your chance to steal some answers? Five second rebuttal per in it dot com, what are the tops?
Speaker 4: Wait? Can you before I say this, can you read the ones that he got again? So I'm make sure that I don't say that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you don't need to repeat spaghetti, linguini or fusili. Okay, okay, five second rebuttal and.
Speaker 4: Go Macaroni, Zdravioli, Rotini, Penne, Bucatini.
Speaker 3: Okay, I think you stole two. I think you had PNA and macaroni, right, you said those two. Yeah, so I think you stole those two. Penney was number two, Macaroni was number five. So let's go through the other ones. And if you guys said it and I just missed it, let me know. Number three was papardell Ones.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Number four is Arochiette. Number seven did anyone say this far Fall?
Speaker 4: I didn't know.
Speaker 3: Okay, I don't think anyone said it far Fall. And then number nine was Fetuccini. Fetuccini was also on the LISTI you did great in the video.
Speaker 1: I can't believe no one said Ravioli the best one.
Speaker 4: I wonder if it's a shape, it's the shape of my heart.
Speaker 3: Uh So the lightning round, Holy shit, that was intense, Jackie. What where I think it's super close? Where do we stand after lightning Round?
Speaker 5: It is still so close?
Speaker 6: Zibeth After the Lightning round, you have eighteen points and opus you held onto the lead with nineteen so close.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 5: That means the last round is going to be a doozy.
Speaker 3: Be a doozy. It is nineteen to eighteen, a one point game. As we head into our fourth and final.
Speaker 1: Round, Round four, the Double Duty.
Speaker 3: It is the Theodore Double Dooty Radcliffe round. Call it the double Duty because points are doubled and there are nine questions in this round. So if one of you gets just one question more than the other, holy cow, have another lead. Change Today in the Double Duty we have one of our famous theme rounds. So how the theme round works again is the first eight of nine questions are seemingly going to be general knowledge questions, and question nine is always what is the theme of this round?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: How do you find the theme? Well, it's within your answers to those first eight questions. It could be part of a word, or a whole word, or the whole answer. The clues could be in there. So the more of the questions you get right in those first eight, the better chance of you getting the theme of this round. Let's see how we do here? Is question one of nine in your theme round for the Double Duty. What's the name of the dairy queen's staple made up of soft serve and stuff like Oreo cookies, M and M's or butterfinger mixed in? What do they call that at the dec Q? For number one? That was my first job in high school. What's the name of the dairy queen staple made up of soft serve and stuff like Oreo cookies, Eminem's are butterfinger mixed in? For number one?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 3: Question number two a little music question. The psychedelic rock band that gave us the hit song Incense and Peppermints was named Strawberry. What They had a very psychedelic name and it was featured in a bunch of movies like Austin Powers and whatnot. But they have that very famous song Incense and Peppermints. Psychedelic rock band, they were called Strawberry What fill in that blank? For number two? And I think it's like the quintessential psychedelic rock band name of all time? All right? Question number three? What great character actor was in Deliverance work Superman played the dad and the movie Rudy. It's the name of that character actor? Yeah, great character actor? Was in Deliverance Network Superman and played the dad in the movie Rudy.
Speaker 2: I'm mad right now because I know who this is.
Speaker 3: But that one's going to come to you. I can feel it. That's going to be a light bulb. All right? Question number four, what is the Keystone State? What US state is known as the Keystone State? For number four, I have two.
Speaker 1: Wildly different answers.
Speaker 3: Sound state, Uh okay, and again if you don't get stuff now, if you figure out the theme, it might help you answer some of these. Hmm, all right. Question number five another TV question? What actor played rolland Shit in seventy nine episodes of Shit's Creek? Another character actor that's been in a bunch of stuff, but he played Roland Shit the best name ever seventy nine episodes of Shit's Creek. Name that funny man that played Roland Shit? For number five.
Speaker 2: I mean, I definitely have like four of these five and I have no clue what their theme is though, not to brag, not to brag, but I'm kind of smart but also pretty dumb. Not to brag.
Speaker 3: Question number six of nine in the Double Duty this is a theme round. For question number six, what Beatles title character was described this way in a cap She looked much older and the bag across her shoulder made her look a little like a military man. Ooh again for number six, what Neatle's title character was described this way in that song? In a cap She looked much older and the bag across her shoulder made her look a little like a military man.
Speaker 5: Honestly, bummer for that lady?
Speaker 2: Ye right, oh, oh oh, I think I have it, but I could be very wrong?
Speaker 3: All right? Question number seven? Question number seven, what was the name of the manager for the Flight of the Concords? What was their manager's name? Played by Rhys Darby? What was the name of their manager for Flight of the contes?
Speaker 2: Knew?
Speaker 4: I was about to ask if I could just give the actors name?
Speaker 3: What was his name? Britt and Jamaine present?
Speaker 1: Are you looking for just a first name?
Speaker 2: Or yes?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 3: Again for question number seven, what was the name the first name of the manager for Flight of the Concords played by Rhys Darby? Very funny character? What was his name on that show? All right, here we are your penultimate question in the theme round. This is your last kind of general knowledge. Question Question number eight, what song by Sonny and cher was the first single from their debut album look At Us Back in nineteen sixty five, and spent three weeks at number one on the Billboard Hot one hundred chart. Again, Question number eight, what song by Sonny and Cherr was their first single from their debut album look At Us Back in nineteen sixty five, spent three weeks at number one on the Billboard Hot one hundred chart. Question number nine, as always, is what the hell is the theme of this round?
Speaker 1: I am so see.
Speaker 4: I feel like it doesn't help that I've clearly gotten a couple of these wrong. Yeah, I'm like, this is this theme is truly stumping me.
Speaker 3: I'll give you a couple seconds to take a minute, take a minute think about this. Look at your answers.
Speaker 4: M okay, resigning myself to not knowing the theme. Yeah, settling into it, just leaning back into it.
Speaker 3: You know it's okay.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I almost said it, and then it.
Speaker 3: Was gone, all right, all right, here we go. Pencils down, Let's go over our answers to the Theodore Double Duty Radcliff round. Today it was a theme round. Question one of nine was what's the name of the dairy Queen? Staple made up of soft serve and stuff like Oreo cookies, M and M's or butterfinger mixed insa.
Speaker 1: Beth, I put blizzard.
Speaker 3: Ooh, a blizzard delicious, opis what did you put?
Speaker 2: I also put the DQ blizzard.
Speaker 3: DQ blizzard is in fact a blizzard. If you got a one with yogurt, it was called a breeze, but no one thinks of that. It's the blizzard. I don't even know if they have that anymore about. Yeah, they started it when we were there. It was just another machine we had to clean at night, which was a bumber like the yogurt machines, really finicky. But it is a blizzard for number one. Question number two, The psychedelic rock band that gave us the hit song in Sense and purper Mints was named Strawberry. What fill in that blank? Strawberry? What for number two? Opus? What did you come up with?
Speaker 2: Alarm clock?
Speaker 3: Alarm clock? Strawberry alarm clock? Zabeth? What did you put?
Speaker 1: I also put alarm clock?
Speaker 3: It is in fact strawberry alarm clock. For number two. That answer deserves a huzza. Incredible great work, Thank you, all right, Moving right along to question number three, what great character actor was in Deliverance Network Superman and Rudy.
Speaker 1: Zabeth ned Baty, God, damn it.
Speaker 3: We all knew that was coming. We all knew that was coming, Zabeth said.
Speaker 2: Baby, that was just tickling the back of my brain for the past twenty minutes. And now it has been. It comes to fruition, and that is a bummer.
Speaker 3: But it is in fact the great character actor ned Baty, who is not related to Warren Batty at all. It's ned Baty. For number three, big two points for the Zabeth question number four, what is the keystone state opus Pennsylvanio, Pennsylvania, keystone state, Sabeth, what did you put?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: I had for me It was between Connecticut and Utah, but I picked Utah Utah.
Speaker 3: The correct answer is see it on all their highway signs, that little symbol it is Pennsylvania is the keystone state. It's on their license plate Keystone state, Pennsylvania.
Speaker 4: You know what that's for?
Speaker 5: Like keystone species? Like what is a keystone state?
Speaker 3: Keystone is the thing that sits. It's made out of stone, and it's like it's the stone that's like on the top of like a doorway or an arch it's that big kind of funky stone that looks like that that fits right on top there. But I'm thinking it's probably from like quarries or them excavating stones out of there. Maybe they call it.
Speaker 2: I think it was part of the original thirteen states. It was like the state that sort of like the idea of the keystone holds the arch together, and Pennsylvania was the one at the top that sort of held the rest of it together, being the south and the north is understanding of it.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's what it says.
Speaker 6: Well, according to what is keystone dot com.
Speaker 2: One of my favorite sites that go there literally every day.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Wow, Connautico would be the Constitution state, and Utah would be the Beehive state.
Speaker 1: The bee hive state. I hope they mean the hairdoo.
Speaker 6: Wellstone state ja. It's geographical position further contributes to its keystone status. Nestled among the original thirteen colonies, it served as a central meeting point connecting the northern and southern states, as well as the eastern seaboard to expanding the western frontier.
Speaker 2: Boom take that net, baby Hill.
Speaker 3: Boom nailed it. Pennsylvania is your Keystone state for that reason. For number four. Question number five, who played Roland Shit in seventy nine episodes of Shit's Creek? Great character actor, Zabeth? What did you put?
Speaker 4: You know what? I think I got this wrong because I put Chris Elliott because he was the guy who owned the motel.
Speaker 3: But I'm wrong, right, Chris Elliott? Great guess opus? What did you put?
Speaker 2: If you're wrong, I'm on too. I also put Chris Elliott.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Roland Shit was played by, in fact, Chris Elliott. Oh two points apiece, Yes, yes, yep, I remember him first on David Letterman Show and then that great show in the nineties or whatever, Get a Life. It was a great show.
Speaker 2: By christ of the episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Chris Elliot is what I'm going for for number five, Chris Elliott. Question number six, what Beatles title character was described this way? In a cap She looked much older, and the bag across her shoulder made her look look a little like a military man. That's a mouthful opus. What did you put? For number six?
Speaker 2: Love Lee Rita Meter her.
Speaker 3: Maid, Lovely Reader, Rita Meter, her Maid, Zabeth? What did you put?
Speaker 4: I'm sure the opus is right? I put Lady Madonna.
Speaker 1: You think I know it's wrong.
Speaker 3: I know, Lady Madonna and Lovely Ready read one of you is right, one of you is wrong. It is, in fact lovely Rita meta made for number six, Lovely Rita for number six. Question number seven, what was the name of the manager for Flight of the Concord?
Speaker 1: Zabeth Okay? I put Trent?
Speaker 3: Trent right name for a manager played by Rhys Darby Opus What did you put?
Speaker 2: I completely guessed and I went Alan because there was I was trying to like go with the whole thing of like what's the theme here? And there was a lot of other like double letters in these answers, so I thought Alan might be an answer.
Speaker 3: So we have Trent and we have Alan. The correct answer is Murray. Murray.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's just a dumble letter in it. I might be wrong still, but.
Speaker 3: It is Murray who played, uh yeah, the manager for Flight of the Concords? Question number eight? What song by Sonny and Cher was the first single from their debut album look at Us Back in nineteen sixty five, spent three weeks at number one on the Billboard Hot one hundred charts.
Speaker 2: Opus I Just Want was the only Sonny and CHERI song I know which is I got your.
Speaker 3: Bibe, I got you, babe, Zabeth, what did you put?
Speaker 1: Same?
Speaker 5: Only one?
Speaker 1: I know it is?
Speaker 3: In fact, I got you babe. Were two big points there, and then question number nine? What is the theme? Subbeth?
Speaker 4: I don't know? Can I guess double letters? You can?
Speaker 3: Sure you can.
Speaker 4: Let's yeah, that's honestly, that's the only thing I can. I But then some of them don't have that. I okay, hang on right right, God, yeah, you know what, I'm just gonna I don't. I don't have a better guess than that, so I know it's wrong, but I'm just gonna guess it anyway.
Speaker 3: Double letters open? What do you got for number nine?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I got I? Can I stammer more and then try to figure out an answer and pretend that it's like a speech impediment that I'm.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, we'll just edit out like ten minutes of please do yeah, like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no I I I Also, I had that double letter thought that has completely been disproven by I Got you, Babe and Lovely Rita and other things, So I don't. I'm gonna go double letters too, But also I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm don't know double letters all right, I'm gonna reveal it by going through our answers and giving you kind of the clues. A blizzard does happen? You see this alarm clock starting each and every day multiple times. Needle nosed ned ned Ryerson ned the head Pennsylvania. Chris Elliott played the camera guy. The camera guy Rita was by An McDowell. Bill Murray played Phil.
Speaker 1: And then the song.
Speaker 3: I Got You Baby is in.
Speaker 4: Fact good.
Speaker 2: Played ned Ryerson death And yeah, yeah, we'll get any points for that.
Speaker 3: That is groundhog Day. That deserves a sploosh. Yeah, if you watch that too, you'll see a young Michael Shannon is in that movie. He's the character, he's the newlywed and he gives him WrestleMania tickets. That's Michael Shannon is the guy. I freaked out when I saw that, But yeah, like that movie will hold up forever. It's it's one of the greatest. But yeah, going for groundhog Day. But more importantly, we gotta go over our scores. Jackie, what the hell happened after the Double Duty?
Speaker 6: She boasted incredibly well in the Double Duty? So close again, Zabeth, you have twenty eight points. You ended with twenty eight points. Incredible Opus You asked her extra points for naming another actor in Groundhog's Day. I'm not going to give them to you. I don't need to because you actually won already on your own with thirty one. No, you don't need the extra points. But so it was one question, just one question away, just so close to.
Speaker 3: What a game thirty one to twenty eight. Opus, you are in fact the smartest person in the world for one week. Thanks.
Speaker 2: That's never been true before and never will be true again.
Speaker 3: Holy smokes, what a barn burner again, folks. We're here with Zabeth Russell. You can follow her on social media at That's Sabeth and Community Cookbook Roundup. We're happy to make a donation in her name to the Old Friend and Senior Dog Sanctuary look for her and Young Sheldon, the Connor CSI Vegas, Fresh off the Boat, and upcoming TV show called Monsters, the Menendez Brothers story that's going to be on Netflix. And then our champ, Opus Mareski. You can follow him on social mediat Hey, it's Opus, and we're happy to make a donation in his name to the World Central Kitchen. Keep watching The Late Show five nights a week, Great Show Gang four nights a week really, but it's not over. It's time for the final throwdown.
Speaker 7: The final throwdown.
Speaker 3: Jackie Gonzales de Ruthie. It's her time to take over and lay it on us. What is your final throwdown question today?
Speaker 6: Well, today it's my best friend's birthday, the day that we're recording, and her name is also Jackie, and so I wanted to find out and Google told me.
Speaker 5: To this question.
Speaker 6: According to twenty twenty three the year Yeah, I just didn't write it down right. According to a twenty twenty three study, what is the most popular name in the world?
Speaker 3: Most popular name in the word.
Speaker 1: So that's like male or female? Right correct? Or like of the first name?
Speaker 2: Yeah, first name?
Speaker 5: It is a first.
Speaker 3: Name, Okay, I'm thinking it would be like Indian or Chinese. Yeah, that's my thought to all the people. Yeah. Hm, god, that is a great question. Most popular first name in the world. Yeah, I'm trying to think of my friends. Yeah, m god, that's a great question. Good one, Jackie.
Speaker 5: I finally did a good one.
Speaker 3: Finally did a good one.
Speaker 5: They're usually like not great.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to think of an Indian name that you hear a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me too.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say Ruve because I have a really dear friend from Chicago, Rubve Patel. I'm gonna go with Rubb. That's my guess. What do you guys got?
Speaker 1: My guess is going to be Mohammed?
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, mine kind of says a similar by which is would be Abdul Abdul.
Speaker 3: So we have Abdul, Mohammed and Rove Jackie. What is the most popular name on the planet. It's gonna be like Dennis, I think.
Speaker 6: That we just got a second smartest person in the world for a week because the beeth you are correct.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I guess what the runner up name is?
Speaker 1: Hey, zeus Maria?
Speaker 4: Oh Maria.
Speaker 3: If Mohammad and Maria.
Speaker 2: I mean they're both like religious figures, it kind of makes sense.
Speaker 3: That is wonderful. What a great question, What a great answer. And now we learned about Mohammad and Maria.
Speaker 2: Would win in a fight Mohammad versus Maria. Let's one more question, who would win?
Speaker 3: Maria? I think we all know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Maria's they bite.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, that's the show, gang, thanks so much for being on. We're happy to make donations in your names to those great charities. And yeah, I just wish you the best rest of twenty twenty four and hope to see you all soon.
Speaker 2: Oh golly, this was fun. Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this was so fun.
Speaker 1: Thank you for having us.
Speaker 6: See you next week for another episode of You Should Know Better.
Speaker 3: Want to help out the podcast, please subscribe to You Should Know Better. Wherever you listen to podcasts, Rate our show and write a review if you can. It really helps get the word out to the masses. We thank you and some daily trivia action. Check us out on TikTok and Instagram until next week. Take care of yourselves and each other. We're all in this together, and in the immortal words of Harry Carey, so long everybody. You Should Know Better as produced by Jackie Gonzalez de Ruthie and myself Mike C. Nelson, Edited by Nick Wright. All music created by mister Kevin Sheima, voiceover talent Natalia Castelianos, and graphic design by Jason Caldera and Calderico