Speaker 1: A fresh eight o'clock hour here of coffee and Company on Kentucky and this morning news Nick Coffee, that's me Scott Fitzgerred alongside, and we've got one hour left. And for those just now joining us, welcome in Happy Friday to you. We did early on talk about the teacher shortage going on at JCPS, and I always stand corrected, believe it or not, I do.
Speaker 2: I do prepare for this show.
Speaker 1: I do research as best I can, and apparently it is not that uncommon currently for there to be job fairs to hire actual teachers. It's I don't think it's it's common in public K twelve school systems, but there are vacancies in a lot of places when it comes to teachers. The teacher shortage is not just a JCPS issue. It's everywhere. But JCPS, of course the biggest school district in our state, and obviously they've had their share problems and they're welcoming in a new superintendent. And to hear that they are still short of eighteen hundred different people, I'm sorry, let me let me make sure I get the Yeah, not eighteen no, no, I'm sorry. That was more of a national number. But JCPS currently has three hundred and sixty two classroom teacher vacancies and fifty three other certified positions that are still open, and one and eighty six of those are support staff roles. So what they're doing in order to try to get ready for school is it's I think less than a month away. They're having a job fare and it's actually going to be today from ten am to two pm at the Center for Professional Learning Complex that is on Atkinson Square Drive. So I just the reason I brought up the job fair thing is I think for bus drivers and just other positions within the school that are not necessarily for teachers, it just seemed odd to me that there would be a job fare for that, But again it's becoming more common because of the lack of teachers everywhere.
Speaker 2: But if you are the.
Speaker 1: New superintendent here, I mean, you knew what you were walking into, you knew that the job was an important one. And clearly some improvements are needed in JCPS in a variety of ways. But hopefully they can they can get off to a good start. I mean, look, getting this is I don't want to. I don't be too hard on them because again I think sometimes the people that go to work every day and deal with it, and and you know they choose to do it because more often than not, I would assume it's the labor of love, and you can be compensated well as a teacher to an extent. But obviously, you know, I don't think many people who do it do it for the money.
Speaker 2: So I don't want to.
Speaker 1: Act like it's all bad for JCPS, but I would say when it comes to having a successful school system school district, there's a lot that goes into that, but maybe the two most important people, or maybe to the two most important things are transportation, meaning getting kids to school so you can conduct school, and then also having enough teachers there to teach the kids. So again I'm sure transportation and teacher shortages are an issue in a lot of places, not just JCPS, but clearly there's there's a lot of there's a lot of pressure on this new superintendent just because you know, change, change was wanted, I assume by many people. But I think at times with Marty Polio, I just I felt like there was a genuine genuineness to him to where I just felt like, man, that's a pretty helpless job and I think that's a position I wouldn't want to be in because no matter what you do, you're gonna have people, you know, yelling at you and criticizing you. And look, you take that kind of job knowing there's always going to be criticism. It's not like you just assume everybody's just going to be doing nothing but praising you. But I just I think sometimes things happen and I don't really know who we point the finger to. I don't know who we blame. I mean, I'm sure it's a collective thing at times, but like, for example, if this transportation situation when they start school is a nightmare, again, certainly the superintendent's going to fall on the sword, or at least he should because that's what you do in that job. But there may not have been anything specifically that you missed out on, that you didn't do that could have prevented it. And I just sound so pessimistic, but I just think that's the reality of it. I just think that right now it's tough to see JCPS moving forward not continuously being mentioned as having a lot of these issues, which the reason I hate that is because one that's unfortunate, but there's clearly a lot of good going on within jcps as well. There's great teachers, great stories, and you know, we shouldn't ignore that as much as we probably do. But yeah, there's a lot of a lot of positions that need to be filled within jcps. So if you're looking for a gig and you're qualified, keep that in mind. Maybe maybe make a career change, because certainly there's a real need for teachers everywhere, not just JCPS, but teacher pay and.
Speaker 2: Burnout has been a big factor here.
Speaker 1: We'll talk about that next, as far as just the amount of teachers in jcps that hold graduate degrees, but their pay doesn't reflect that. I mean, that's another thing working against them that maybe isn't working against other school districts to that same extent. So look at to that and a lot more. Also, what I want to talk about coming up here in just a few minutes is if you're somebody that consumes a lot of content on YouTube, there's some changes as far as that experience for you. So we'll get to that in a lot more. First, let's get an update on the forecast from Mat Melosovich as well as another traffick update from Boby ellis right here on news Radio eight forty Whame continue. It is eight sixteen here at Kentucky, and it's Morning News with Coffee and Company. News Radio eight forty whas Tony Dwight coming your way around nine o'clock.
Speaker 2: It'll be actually at nine o'clock.
Speaker 1: And I think the reason I was hesitating here I think they're on remote, but I don't know that for certain, but I will double check because I believe they might be. Yes, Yeah, they're giving out some passes to the Jay Town Beer Fest.
Speaker 2: I believe so.
Speaker 1: Yes, if you're somebody interested in that, they can they can maybe help you out, which Scott at some point, I got I gotta get your like, you got to tell me what I'm walking into when it comes to certain types of beers, because you're you're my resource with that, because I may end up at the j Town Beer Fest and I'm gonna be I'm gonna I'll probably be wearing it on my forehead essentially, like I don't know what to do, somebody guide me.
Speaker 3: They will, And that's you know, that's why we're so blessed with so many great breweries in town. They're always willing to talk to you, you know, because there they're going to give you your sample, your beer, which you have. I was trying to look at the beer list that was here, and I know you got other things you want to talk about, so I won't get too far into it.
Speaker 2: But no, you go.
Speaker 3: I'll take a look at what they have and you can't go wrong. Especially I have my own local my favorite local breweries. I don't mind saying it. That Against the Grain when it comes to local breweries is my number one go to, and then Mile Wide is a close second.
Speaker 2: They're staple against the grain. It's been around for a while.
Speaker 4: Dude.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean they they kick out the og of Kraft beers and that's you know, sit your ass down. That's that's my Favorite's always in my fridge. And Mile Wide has a West Coast I PA that I love. So dude, I hope you get a chance to get out there and enjoy it. Should be a good time. I'm glad Tony and Dwighter out there. That'll be fun.
Speaker 2: I have a I like.
Speaker 1: I'll give you a beer that I really like and it may not be one that you like, but you'll at least kind of know my Palette a little bit.
Speaker 2: I'm a big fan of.
Speaker 1: The West six I PA oh, absolutely great brewery and if you ever get a chance to make it to the West six Brewery, it's a fantastic I need to check out because they were one craft brewery that I've had a couple of theirs that I really like. But if I'm going with a craft beer, I would go with the West six IPA never let me down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, not at all.
Speaker 3: It's a great product. If you get a chance to make it out, stop in their brewery, sit down and have one.
Speaker 2: It's a great experience. Good stuff. A right.
Speaker 1: So YouTube has been around for quite some time, and I'll admit I'm kind of new to YouTube being a part of my daily content experience because more often than not, I mean, if I'm going to you, if I'm going to YouTube, it's to find something that, like I can't find elsewhere. And now I realize you can get anything on YouTube. I mean any type of content is within the YouTube platform. Are you often on YouTube? Do you find yourself like, Hey I'm bored or Hey I'm interested in something, Let's go to YouTube. Because I now remind myself, hey, you should probably check there.
Speaker 2: Because you can. I mean, you can teach yourself how to do anything on YouTube.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say that's how I kept the repairman out of my house. My dryer has been going. I'm knocking on whatever fake would I can find in here. My dryer's been going for about twenty five years now thanks to YouTube.
Speaker 1: I mean, I can't think of any I mean, there's things that I've learned how to do that I'm trying to rack my brain here, but I bet there's something that I've taught myself how to do that I don't even remember that. It was a YouTube video that showed me a tutorial some guy. And look, these people probably don't anticipate it at the time when they launch their YouTube channels, but there are people who probably make a great living just simply offering like ninety second videos showing you how to do something that you've never had to do before. Because sure enough, that's a platform that is so big that there's gonna be enough people that need to figure out how to do it, and that's their quickest way to learn. So I'm sure there's many that have changed their lives because they were ahead of the curb and they've got big channels with subscribers and they can monetize all that. But there's changes coming to the homepage for you. So they're retiring the trending page, which is a feature that really captured viral videos in a single feed, and now they're going to show a more tailored, category specific thing. And what they're telling you without using the word, is they've changed their algorithm. They're going to now have not a trending page showing you just what is big across the overall platform. They're gonna show you things that are big more so in your in your niche. So they're eliminating it's all in one trending tab and replacing it with specialized charts and you will you're use your viewing history and habits will show if you are somebody that is more so shifted to movies, podcasts because podcasts have become huge on YouTube, and then music videos and then just different things that are maybe within within your niche. So, uh, this is this is ten years for the platform or for the trending pigs that is now going away. And I'm telling you this to me is is there's a variety of reasons. I'm sure that goes into this. But as soon as and this has been a couple of years since this happened, as soon as time spent consuming content per experience at TikTok was longer than YouTube, YouTube had to do something. Because TikTok, you don't even get a lot of time in a video, but you scroll continuously because their algorithm knows what you want. That's how you end up spending way more time on TikTok than you ever intended. And YouTube they're doing okay, they're doing just fine. But again, they offer long form video content more than anybody else. And the experience is it's not as it's not as lengthy as it is there as it is TikTok. So I don't know if it's gonna help them out, but I guarantee you that's a factor in that change. Amen, brother, and you and I are both TikTok guys.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 3: I was in it last night and I couldn't get out of it. I was trying to watch Bob's Burgers, but TikTok kept taking me.
Speaker 2: Away till you look.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 1: I hate saying this because I know there's some especially in this audience, that are gonna think, oh, this guy sucks. But like I sometimes look forward to knowing it's late at night, I don't have to go to work the next day.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna scroll TikTok.
Speaker 4: I do it.
Speaker 3: I do it right before I have a snack at night. I don't need a dinner, and it gets me through that half hour because I eat it at a certain time every day.
Speaker 1: Those who have the stigma of a young guy coming in on this show, that's probably the worst thing I could have said. But if any thing, I'm just honest with you, and I'm telling you. If you just think TikTok some platform where people do stupid dances and act like fools, that's there.
Speaker 2: But there's way more to it than just that. So I like the roller skating videos. Oh there's there's a ton of stuff, good stuff.
Speaker 1: All right, We got to get to a quick break, another update on traffick, a weather coming your way, and also we'll get another sports update from Scott right here on news.
Speaker 2: Radio eight forty whas.
Speaker 1: This report is sponsored by Lows five forty six here at Kentucky and it's morning place for those in the Secret Service that were held accountable for I guess just not doing their job when it comes to the assassination attempt of Donald Trump. But the shooter, Thomas Crooks. I could be wrong here, but I feel like if you'd have told most people that we'd be this far removed from that situation, has such little info as far as remotive and just just about the individual, I think most would would have been surprised. What do we know about this individual? And of course maybe what a potential motive would have been.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, we never did get to that motive, I think, and I think that's been frustrating for a lot of people obviously. But the Secret Service agents who were suspended, one of them was actually with I guess we'll call them candidate Trump's detail. The other five were assigned to the local field office in the Pittsburgh area, and essentially they were suspended because of the way they set up the event, especially with the lack of communication between local law enforcement and the Secret Service agents who were there on the ground. You know, plenty of people had seen Croaks on that rooftop reported it to local police, but local police had a heck of a time try to get that information relayed to the Secret Service and specifically the sniper who was supposed to be taken them out in advance. The sniper wasn't able to open fire until after President Trump had been shot and one audience member killed and two others wounded.
Speaker 1: Typically, when these when these things happen, when the when, when the perpetrator is no longer alive, you do you find people wanting to know more about the family and connections and whatnot.
Speaker 2: And it seems very quiet on that front as well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, he was a bit of a loner with the description that we got, and you know, his motivation and all this as to whether or not he had this deep hatred for President Trump. Was he trying to put some other message out there with this.
Speaker 2: There was no.
Speaker 5: Manifesto left behind or something that would possibly explain why he did this, why he chose this event in Butler, you know, his political views still really are unknown.
Speaker 1: Roy On Neild, NBC News is our guest joining us here on News Radio eight forty whas So, when it comes to the Big Beautiful Bill, I heard a lot of noise in regards to how this would be bad for those that gamble, especially those that gamble on sports. It's become legal here in Kentucky in the last couple of years and certainly been a big boom. And then I've also heard some say, well, hey, chill out, not a big deal. It's really only if you are someone that might be trying to make a living gambling, what can you tell us about it.
Speaker 5: That's pretty much what it boils down to. The casual gambler probably won't notice this, but the rules are changing. Used to be that you would deduct your losses at one hundred percent versus your winning. So let's say you won one hundred thousand dollars, but you also lost one hundred thousand dollars during a year of gambling. Well, okay, you'd walk away square. Well, now the IRS says, or we'll say, starting in January, you can only deduct ninety percent of your losses. So now, if you win one hundred thousand dollars and you lose ninety one hundred thousand dollars, can you have to because it's only ninety percent can be deducted. That means you have to pay taxes on that ten thousand dollars difference.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is That's why they're.
Speaker 5: Saying a lot of people could really be hurt on this and with their professional gampling.
Speaker 1: And I think even if you're somebody that doesn't necessarily rely on it, but it's something that you that you do frequently for entertainment, you may have a big hit like that. I know some that have had a similar winning in that range, which of course is rare. But I know you've got to pay taxes on it that that certainly impacts the amount of money that you're going to bring home. Uncle Sam's going to get his cut. What do we know about what this means for the books in the casinos themselves, any reaction to this beautiful, big beautiful bill about how it could either benefit them or hurt them.
Speaker 5: Well, they've already got a good lobbying group trying to change the wording to this. But the big beautiful law also needs the money. This change by reducing what you can deduct from your losses from one hundred percent down to ninety percent sounds like nothing right, But it's going to generate a billion dollars over ten years in new tax revenue. So that's not nothing right. So that's why they're saying that this could really impact it most Again, the professional gambler type someone made the analogy that if you're a high roller, a professional who wins three million dollars but loses two point eight million dollars a year would have earned two hundred thousand dollars, but he's going to be taxed on four hundred and eighty thousand dollars based on that ninety percent change in what you can do for losses. So you can see how it really could add up to a hefty tax bill. The concern is that a lot of this action then moves offshore with casinos or betting systems based in other countries, and that can get a little shady too.
Speaker 1: Sure, no doubt, Rory, you are the best. Have a good weekend, my friend. We'll talk soon. Fact Nick, all right again, that's Roy and Neal of NBC News.
Speaker 2: Stick with us.
Speaker 1: It's Kentucky and His Morning News with Coffee and Company on news Radio eight forty whas. Kentucky and His Morning News Coffee and Company on news Radio eight forty whas and a matter of minutes, eight forty whs is going to be coming to you live from Barons in Jaytown with pizza, other great options as well, and enhanced vibes. Kurt see of Tony Venetti and Dwight Whitton. I will say when it comes to when it comes to the great pizza at Barons, you can never go wrong. But I'm glad to hear Dwight pumping up other items on the menu because they have wings. And I don't know if many people think of wings when you think of Barons, but they are delicious.
Speaker 2: So I'm very jealous of you guys.
Speaker 4: They are. But I thought you were playing that song because I was just telling young Daniel here, I.
Speaker 2: Call him Danny, Danny boy.
Speaker 4: This used to be Mama Grasanti's before it was bear Nos, it was no your cost gersonis. I know you're from Buller County. You didn't come in town some nice Italian.
Speaker 2: I was cultured.
Speaker 1: Come on, now, so is this this is the one that's next to like brickhouse tavern?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 2: This is no?
Speaker 4: No, No, it's no, it's it's this. Everyone in Louisville will know that's older than thirty will know this used to be Mama.
Speaker 2: Oh so this is okay, I got you. I know exactly. It's when you're out broadcast before. Yeah, I got you.
Speaker 1: And look there's many bars in Little Well because bare knows is great but correct. They some places, you know, there's just no way you're not gonna be known for a certain item because you do it so well and it's kind of mean, it's the root of your existence. But it is impressive for restaurants to be able to offer something that isn't the first thing that comes to mind, that isn't the focus of the real push to market your your restaurant, and do that really well too. And I've got a guess of those wings.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, the wings are good. Dwight loves the bake spaghetti. I look at bakes spaghetti.
Speaker 2: Now you're seving like Bulla County.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know, I'm trying to h Yes, as a true Italian, it's hard for me to say bake spaghetti.
Speaker 2: You gotta hear you. Are you all give away beer fest tickets? There's that a lot.
Speaker 4: We are, Okay, we are beer Fest beer fest dot com if you want to buy tickets.
Speaker 2: It's a ticketed event.
Speaker 4: But Scott will tell you, man this, this is all the craft beers in the world in one spot for Saturday and Sunday. You gotta make it out here. Uh, you know, the weather guys have been wrong so many times. They're it's gonna rain on Sunday. Sunday, Yeah, it's not gonna rain.
Speaker 5: Dude.
Speaker 2: Can I tell you something that I have observed doing this job for over a month.
Speaker 4: Yea, more than I realized, more than yes, yes, and uh and you know, and they defend themselves, but it's again, the Ohio River has a lot to do with it. Once it hits the Ohio River, it kind of dissipates her, it ramps up. So they're never And I don't even say that to be critical. I'm just highlighting when I when I when I reference the weather many times throughout a four hour shift in the morning, I then go out through I go out through the rest of my day thinking, well, I guess we'll come back and try to get in tomorrow. Well I always, yeah, I always.
Speaker 2: I always asked.
Speaker 4: I was like, how do you put up with that? Because if you're married, you're go home and you're wrong every time. You know, Also, so you're at working, you're wrong. But then I thought you and I did sports for a lot of years, we were wrong a lot in sports, you're wrong a lot in sports. When you make calls on games, or how the outcome of some games are going to be.
Speaker 1: And a beautiful thing that nobody seems to to really pay attention to is that it I shouldn't say that it doesn't matter if you're wrong all the time, because clearly you want to be able to have some knowledge of which talking about and some proof along the way that you you can't assess what sport you're covering.
Speaker 2: But you think Stephen A. Smith's making a million dollars.
Speaker 1: Because he's right about anything he says, you know what I mean like and he's not loud and.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but at least here's the thing. At least the best to me are the ones that admit they were wrong, right.
Speaker 2: So there makes you relatable.
Speaker 4: Yes, especially in the political world, that will not admit after they were you know, it was proven wrong. They won't come back and go, well, I got that one wrong. Most most of the good ones I know will say, you know, I got that one wrong. Uh, I didn't see that one coming.
Speaker 1: So I tell you where you're wrong about something, okay, because you thought you thought you you were dead inside. When it comes to the passion for Louisville Cardinal basketball, and I was a sad said radio son of Tony Venetti, who just was so pessimistic and lifeless. And then Pat Kelsey brought you back to life. Brother, he brought us, He brought a lot of us back to life.
Speaker 2: And you did I bring this.
Speaker 1: Up is because you are someone that again has done this a long time. The NCAA turn, it seems like an event that it'd be hard to screw up. At least that's what I think. Maybe that's wishful thinking on my end. There's been a lot of talk about expanding the tournament from sixty eight to upper seventies, maybe even in the eighties.
Speaker 2: At some point, I.
Speaker 1: Would still watch college basketball's primetime event because I'm a lifer. But like, this is far from necessary, right.
Speaker 4: No, yeah, it's far from necessary. You've got to have a number on it. It's all about money. It's all about you. You add fifteen teams, you're gonna add fifteen games on television, or how many games it would add on television. That's all it's about. I will tell you. The bigger impact on me is the football playoffs last year.
Speaker 2: Oh you mean the popular at least?
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, all right, but the games itself regardless of who was in. I didn't watch a lot of bowl games. I watched every playoff game in the NCAA last year. And it wasn't because you know, I'm Louisville fan, but you know I'm a Catholic Italian and Louisville you got to be a Notre Dame fan.
Speaker 2: The story in the playoffs, and.
Speaker 4: They were the story, and they were the story. But I watched every single playoff game in the college football playoffs. I will look to see those expand because you know, football makes ten times or you know one hundred times what basketball makes.
Speaker 1: Well, and it gives you. What that does is that there's more. It's because the reality is it's not really changing as far as like who truly has a chance to win the national championship. I guess when it comes to pure numbers, yes, you're you're there to play for it, but the top dogs are going to remain the top dogs. But what this does is it gives you more inclusion in the top tier of the sport to where now you can look at a college football playoff appearance and I think it can equate to a Final Four appearance in basketball and you can still feel as if. Okay, we didn't win a title, but man, yes we made the playoff. We feel like we belong.
Speaker 2: Yes, SMU got in last year.
Speaker 4: It's a chance for the Louisvilles and the Indianas to get into the into a football playoff where we had zero chance before that. So yeah, I'm in for that, all right.
Speaker 1: Enjoy yourself at Bear Knows Fellas and the Grats. Whoever ends up winning those a Town beer Fest tickets. Hey, Rick Coffee may be there tomorrow, Tony, Oh what's up?
Speaker 4: Rick Coffee's coming out?
Speaker 2: Man, it happened.
Speaker 1: You can just say he was dead and then he and then he might reappear for the weekend.
Speaker 4: I love it. I love it man.
Speaker 2: That stuff that was doing losh just like birds of a feather horem more together, fine for Loy