Speaker 1: Rich.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow's time for jfi's Tech segment with Rich. He is not only our tech guy also we can watch him every day on KTLA every Saturday here eleven am to two pm. Instagram at rich on tech website, richontech dot TV.
Speaker 1: Good morning, Rich, Good morning to you. Bill.
Speaker 2: All Right, great story out there about AI and shoplifting. Now, is this to help people shoplift or is it to fight shoplifting. I'm a little confused.
Speaker 1: Well, it is to fight shop Oh I feel bad. Okay, Yeah, I think that's probably a smarter use of it. This is called vision. We went to a seven to eleven and seem Valley that's using it, and it's just what you would imagine. So instead of having a person sit there and watch the cameras twenty four to seven, you actually have AI doing that and they're analyzing the video feeds from existing cameras, by the way, and they are looking for suspicion. It's just gestures that might indicate shoplifting. That's really what this is all about. Any sort of gesture is putting something in your pocket, bag whatever. It's trained on like five thousand different clients that they have around the world, millions of interactions, and as soon as you put something in your pocket or do something that might be deemed suspicious, the store owner gets an immediate alert and it says, hey, this might be shoplifting, and let's they can decide what they want to do with that. Okay.
Speaker 2: So if you, for example, you pick up something and then all of a sudden you have you have an itch in your in your junk and you go to scratch it, you're in trouble.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know, because you know, the AI is trained. It's better than a human. So it's going to sit there and understand scratching yourself versus putting something in your pocket or hiding or concealing something. And so you know, each each one of these flags gets a grade, so it may say, you know, low alert, medium alert, critical alert. So it's you know, it's not perfect because it's AI, but it's going to sort of score itself and say like, look, we think this is a critical interaction versus this person just scratched themselves.
Speaker 2: And so it's I find it fascinating that this is a machine learning AI at sort of at this point, at its far reaches where it can understand analyze and as you say, it's like a CIA report high credibility, medium credibility, low incident or low chance. And how how advanced is this go ahead?
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, I mean I tried it. I tried it, and I you know, I took some batteries and I will tell you you know, when they when they had me try it, they said like, hey, make sure you're sort of like visible doing this. So you know, it's one of these things where I think the technology is still evolving like anything else. And I think that's someone that is really good at, you know, concealing or making sure they're not sort of near a camera, like if the cameras don't have a good view of every aspect of the store, that might be a problem. But I think that in general, I mean a couple of times I tested it out. You know, I put something in my bag. It flagged it almost immediately. So you have to think about Bill. I don't know if you ever worked retail, but I did back in the day. And you know, we used to have literally people sitting in the rafters, like you know, up above the store. It was a one way mirror and they were just watching over the store and kind of checking out what people were doing, looking in, maybe zooming in with cameras. Once that technology came along, it was not a perfect system. And so and neither is this. I don't think any AI is perfect. But at the same time, you got to think about if you're a small business owner, what's your option. You are either watching these cameras twenty four to seven, rewinding video after the fact. This is in real time. And so when you think about that paradigm shift, you are being empowered as a store owner. You understand what's happening to your inventory in near real time versus you know, a week later, did you take the batteries home? Yes, I now have some D batteries, the ones that you never really need.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, the ones that they missed. All right, coming back, I want to have a good time with us. I'm going to ask you a question. This has to do with AI powered radio radio stations, and oh boy, am I going to have a.
Speaker 1: Good time with that.
Speaker 2: And then I have a challenge for us, and I'll come back with that and let's continue on. Finish up with our tech segment. Rich Demurrow or tech guy, Let's finish it up. Rich, oh is this a great topic that you came up with, AI powered radio station. All right, explain that one, and then a challenge.
Speaker 1: What are we talking about? I did this, Yeah, I did this for a reason because obviously you've been in radio for many, many years, and I you know, I'm just curious what you think about this trend. But let me tell you the story. So right now in Los Angeles, there is a pop up radio station called one oh six point three the Fizz Okay, and it's all AI powered. So the music, the DJs, all everything is just AI the audio everything, and so it's it's made to kind of have the feel of a nineties pop station or maybe an eighties pop station. But here's the deal, bill it is one hundred percent advertising Slice Soda, which you probably remember that brand back in the day. They are now rebranding as a more of like a healthy soda. So whatever it is. But the point is, I listened to this station this morning, and I think the magic here is if you are just surfing the airwaves and you happen to land upon this station. At first, it sounds like a little pop station, but all of a sudden, you're like, wait a second. Every song they're singing about is soda related? Every band name is soda related. The DJ sounds a little off because it's AI. But anyway, I thought that was kind of funny that they're doing this as a you know, a pop up radio station in Promota soda.
Speaker 2: Okay, that part is interesting. I love the marketing end of that. But of course, moving right into the technology, how, for example, do the DJ sound when they're either introducing music or doing some banter, if they do it at all. And that's and then that leads right into our challenge here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's just one DJ, bev AI generated female and you know, I was listening this morning, and it doesn't sound that convincing, like you might look if you're passing through the airwaves and you just kind of land upon this for a couple of minutes, you might not really think much about it, but then all of a sudden, if you listen for a while, you'll be like, Okay, something's a little different here. And I'm not sure they reveal that it's all AI on the station, but they use like off the shelf stuff, So they use Suno s U and m which is an AI music creation website, and so that's where they made the songs, and they used Gemini to sort of come up with the names and the scripts that this DJ says, and so it's all just like off the shelf stuff that they use for this stunt. But I think it's it's a bigger issue, Bill, and I'm ready for your challenge. But you know, we're hearing more and more about AI taking over jobs and taking over things. If you wanted to do this five years ago, let's say you would have had to hire a voice actor to do the AI voice. You would have had to create someone that's creative, or hire someone that's creative to make the musical tunes, you know, hire writers to make the songs, the backstories for all the bands. And now all this is done on a computer using AI instantly.
Speaker 2: Now you're talking about original songs written by AI, not just choosing songs that go in and just you know, having a DJ banter and in true songs per in AI program, you're actually talking about writing music.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's but these these they literally have a couple of these tools online that will write songs like that make you can say what you want. I can say I want a country ballad about downloading apps on the iPhone and it will write a song with words or not. Now I understand the words, but the music parts, the melody, that is all the right thing. Yeah, there's a credible d O U d io. It's it's will I am as one of the big backers. Okay, the other one is soon o. But these are things that people should be aware of that are happening, like, okay, it's happening, all right.
Speaker 2: Challenge of course, and you know where I'm going with this. How do we put together uh an ai powered interview or conversation that you and I have during the course of the show and it may sound horrible at first, and then we would do it as technology evolved.
Speaker 1: Uh Is it possible to that? Yes? Absolutely there are I mean Google's Notebook LM will do it. Maybe not in our voice, but if you want something that's in our voices, yep, there's other there's other tools like eleven Labs. I'd have to look into it. They do the big voice to text stuff, but I think they could probably handle the actual you know, making it in our voices. But okay, Harry, I mean I don't know if I want that because I oh, yes, you don't.
Speaker 2: No, no, yes you do. No, yes you do, because the thought of both of us being put out of business by one of these excites they hell out of me. Because I still have a contract. I get paid whether or not I'm here or not. So I'm fine with this.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: The question is can we try to do it?
Speaker 1: I will look up the tools, Yeah, I will. Okay, are you prepared?
Speaker 2: And then whatever, and if we have to hire someone to put it together, I will pay for it.
Speaker 1: So is whatever it.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to spend thousands of dollars, but I will spend I'll spend a few hundred.
Speaker 1: That would defeat the purpose if we If we spent thousands doing that, you might as well just be their live.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's true, that's true, but I would I'm issuing this challenge right now. Rich. If we can put together a segment where you and I are not here and it's we can broadcast it. Man, am I getting excited about this?
Speaker 1: Okay? Let me let me. Let me see how to do this, and we'll see if we can proceed.
Speaker 2: Okay, and then one real quick one voice to text app for iPhone. I have an iPhone, and so tell me about this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know how well the voice to text works for you. It does not work very well for me. But I've been using this app for the past two months in beta. It is quite incredible. It's called whisper flow wi sp r flow, and basically, once you add it on your iPhone, it's kind of like adding a keyboard. You basically talk into the app and it formats everything perfectly, so you can speak if you want to do a text message, a Gmail whatever it is, and it uses AI so it doesn't just get the words right, it gets how you're saying them properly. So Bill, if I said three things to talk about on the show today, it would actually list those out in the one, two, three, like it would understand that I'm giving you a list like that. So it formats everything perfectly. And if you said something with like exclamation, like if you were like, hey, Bill, we should definitely do this, it would put an explanation mark at the end of there. So, I mean, it really does a lot of things really well. It is free. It's available on the App Store starting now. Like I said, I've been using it for the past couple of months on my iPhone.
Speaker 2: Everything you don't do the little microphone on the bottom with your text.
Speaker 1: Never because it is so horrible to me. I just don't think it works. I mean, so when you see something like.
Speaker 2: This whisper flow, and that's the app in the app.
Speaker 1: Store, right, yeah, I'll link it up on my website. So I want to make sure you get the right one. Rich on tech dot TV, don't download some random thing that says whisper because it could be you know who knows. All right, down TV, I will do that.
Speaker 2: Okay, you got it, all right, rich Thank you. We'll catch you this weekend eleven to two pm right here on KFI everyday at k t l A. He's KTLA's tech guy, Instagram, at rich on tech and the website rich on tech dot tv.
Speaker 1: As he said, Rich, you have a good one. We'll catch you next week, all right. You stay careful with that vegan tiki masala.
Speaker 2: Oh god, by the way, the only thing I ate was the rice. I'll tell you right now.
Speaker 1: The rest of it was gone.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, thank you,