Speaker 1: Here's a quick channel a brother forecast. Partly cloudy day today around noontime, we've got a chance of storms. Expect down fours they predict eighty five for the high overnight low sixty seven. Brain'll move out. It'll be a bit muggy eighty six to hide them all with partly cloudy sky's dry few clouds of a ninety sixty seven and a dry Friday as well, high eighty eight sixty nine. Now. Traffic times from the.
Speaker 2: U see how Traffic Center.
Speaker 3: Nearly sixty percent of Americans waiting on an organ transplanter from multicultural communities give the gift of life, become an organ donor or explorre living donation at you.
Speaker 2: See how dot com slaves.
Speaker 3: Transplant stop found seventy five loading up quickly through Wakland. Add three to four minutes there north found seventy five, an extra five between Donaldson and Downtown northbound four to seventy one filling in on the bridge. Chuck Ingram on fifty five KRC the talk station.
Speaker 1: Seven forty six eighty five KRCD talk station fifty ve Karosee Morning shows all about supporting the American veterans at least. That's my pet cause and I'll do anything I can do to do that, and folks doing it every single day, supporting the American veterans. Claremont County Veteran Services Welcome back into the fifty five Cassey Morning shoot. It's always a pleasure to have Steve belzo in, the executive director of the Claremont County Veteran Service Commission.
Speaker 2: Good to see you, Steve, Brian. Always a pleasure to see you in the morning.
Speaker 1: And always thank you for what you're doing. You're one of the more well oiled Veteran services offices out there. Your services are outstanding. I've never heard anybody complain about it. You facilitate the veterans getting their VA benefits. You help and today we're talking about financial assistance. You have a financial assistance program.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know. And what's unique about that, Brian, is every county in Ohio has this program. The Ohio Advised Code is what sets us into motion for every Veterans Service office in every county in Ohio. As Ohioans, we are blessed by what our government has put in place for us to sustain our veterans of our country. It's really a great program. Ergency Financial Assistance is just that, it's emergency situations arise, right, Yeah, and it's just just weekly there are veterans coming in with you got to be kidding me, right, Life happens. We don't have a perfect life, right because there's thorns out there. There's situations that happen.
Speaker 1: You like when you get your property tax increase of thirty percent. Sorry, I had to go there. I couldn't let it go.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll let that one go. I couldn't. I couldn't.
Speaker 1: Don't take de bait, you know. But but I guess the broader point is, you know, it happens from time to time, you know, unanticipated expenses, Lightning strikes your house, you don't have the money, fight whatever.
Speaker 2: Right, tree came down to the house into the Hurricane Wars insurance. Yeah, screws fall absolutely. Yeah. So the Emergency Financial Program is really unique in our ability to help veterans in their their current situation. But it's not one we have to define veterans, right, So the VA cees veteran different than the American public sees veteran. And this program is supported the same way by the state of Ohio. So if I wore the sacred cloth of our country, as we often refer to our military uniforms, as a reservist or a guardsman and never activated under Title ten by the United States Code by the President to support. You're not seen by the VA or the Ohio Revice Code as a veteran for support. Okay. So every other military member, it's either active duty or former active duty, or as a reservist or guardsman, you're activated under Title ten to support something on behalf of this country, okay, Okay, So that in a sense kind of confines what is a veteran. So you're going to support your veteran by your DD two fourteen, which is an active duty release of service or an active duty military ID card. Okay, and most active duty coming back. We have what one base here in Ohio, maybe two, So there's not a lot of active duty around us. But what there are is active duty members home on leave. And what if that active duty member was in a horrible accident right right stuck in the hospital. Yeah they have healthcare, Yes they have this, but then there's needs that come in beyond that. How do I help take care of the children. I'm a dad, whatever's going.
Speaker 1: On, right, you're the sole breadwinner of the family if you're laid up in the hospital. PA maybe covering that component, but nobody's replaced the salary.
Speaker 2: Right right, Well, if their ACTI duty, they're going to get their salary regardless, and they're going to be on some emergency leave status. But yet there's still extenuating impact from something like that of putting the car back together, right that the military is not going to put his car back together, so they could come and see us and we would help get their car back on the road. Right, So people repairs to what have you. So it does have a limited scope, but as far those occasions when something just out of nowhere blows up your life in a sense that we can help you get back up on life. All right.
Speaker 1: Well, and there are criteria that define an emergency to be eligible for this the program. What are the criteria specifically, So we're talking about emergencies. Emergency is something that rose unexpectedly. My Duke bill did not come unexpected, nor did the property tax bill. Negating my point earlier.
Speaker 2: Maybe the thirty percent came on, but it was long enough for amo who it was coming, right, So it's it's it's something that arose unexpected, such as your accident, such as the neighbor cutting down a tree and it fell on us. But okay, it's it's unexpected, right, It's not something I see longcoming. It created, in a sense, an immediate need for financial assistance. So how to validate that while we require you to bring in two months of your bank statements so we can show that it was an immediate financial need, not that you had twenty K in the bank and I need you to pay off my three thousand dollars bill over here. Well, no, you have plenty that you have saved up and you've managed yourself.
Speaker 1: So the guards are in place for and I hate to even think about someone who served our country in uniform gaming the system. But bad eggs exist everywhere. In spite of the fact that Bob McDonald thought it was it was profound point that he went to West Point, there are some West Point people that are ended up in Levenworth. So you know there are of every branch I see.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is why Levenworth is so large. However, sometimes you can take Johnny out of the trailer part, but you can't take park out of jail. Right, there's you got the garden for the tax there. He's going, right, right, Well, that's just that this is taxpayers money, it's not mine. So we judiciously look at this program, and the Americans of Ohio say, we want to support veterans. I want to ensure that we are stewards of the county government's money that is handed to me from taxpayers, that we are uplifting veterans and we are not just offering a handout.
Speaker 1: That's why I like you, Steve, because I imagine there is a you know, Veterans Services Commission out there in some other county elsewhere that wouldn't have that concern on behalf of the American taxpayer probably. So it's just like I can see them just ignoring the criteria for eligibility and just pushing it through and saying, fine, you're eligible.
Speaker 2: Right right, Well, I've got to get back behind my wallet. I pay taxes in Claremont County, and how would I want my money spent? And when I can look at it from those shoes, it just becomes a different state, doesn't it.
Speaker 1: If we only had more people in government who viewed it through that lens, what the world would be such a better place.
Speaker 2: It wouldn't be trillions ticking every.
Speaker 1: Second, would not it would all right? So DD two to fourteen is a prerequisite for this.
Speaker 2: And so then on top of that, you have to have been a resident of Claremont County for ninety days. You must be employed or actively looking for employment. So coming in, I've been unemployed for the past two years and I'm on welfare, I'm really not looking for anything. Well, then everything is an emergency financial for you because you're not doing anything to uplift yourself and just the basic needs of life.
Speaker 1: Well, and that addresses you're unexpected. If you have no income, every expense that lands on your plate's going to be unexpected. That's right in a way, right right, all right? Well, I mean you're viewing that like back in the old days of domestic relations court. You know, if you had a deadbeat father who wasn't paying his his order to support payments, you forced him to bring in job applications that he had submitted, right, you make them look for a job.
Speaker 2: That's right, That's right, all right? So, and then you know there's also times where uplifting those individuals, such as what about the spouse of the World War two veteran who's still here with us, but the veterans passed on. Let me tell you there was a There are some great networking partners of ours, and I'll hold their names tight so everybody's not yelling at them. Hey fix my two. But there was an eighty five year old early Vietnam Korean War period spouse husband had passed. He was a veteran. Her ac unit went down in the middle of July last year, July second, she calls us. I need help. I'm getting I have three quotes to replace my HVAC system, upwards of about fifteen thousand dollars. I'm on Social Security, my veteran husband is passed, and that's all of my income. So I called this friend of ours front of the office. He sent one of his technicians out there on July third, troubleshot the HVAC system. I'm Brian. On July fourth, I get dusched up.
Speaker 1: On Steve's experiencing an allergy outright, I'll get you some best yeah.
Speaker 2: On July fourth, editor he took his daughter out to fix this widow's HVAC. It needed one pressurized line to be soidered pressurized it, and on July fourth, this eighty five year old veteran spouse on oxygen and every other kind of medication at that age hatter AC restored at zero cost instead of an old, brand new HVAC system to be placed in August.
Speaker 1: That's beautiful, man. That's what this program does, right, that's what this program does, all right? Well, where can veterans find this application for him to the extent they're experiencing this financial emergency.
Speaker 2: You know what? They can find it at our office at seventy six South Riverside Drive in Batavia. It's also called the Heritage Building for Claremont County residents. It's the same place where you go for early voting. We are on the third floor. Or you can find it online at Claremont County Veterans dot com.
Speaker 1: Laima County Veterans dot Com. Right there on the front page, you can see it turned to us for financial assistance and can get financial assystems by clicking on the link there. What's the turnaround time before we part company? Here, Steve Belzo, you know that's great.
Speaker 2: It used to be we had up until ten days because the service officers would see it I've recently hired an emergency financial advisor investigator and some days it can be a same day turnaround if you have all your documents.
Speaker 1: Clima County Veterans Services oiled machine. There are other ones that could learn from you. You know, this should be an outreach program, the ones that are the Veterans Services and other counties that are struggling to get a to get the the ship righted, call Steve Belzoh, he'll steer you in the right direction again Claremont County Veterans dot Com. Steve, thanks again for all that you're doing for our veterans. I appreciate your efforts and you're looking out for the taxpayer dollar at the same time.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and thanks for your partnership.
Speaker 1: You're good man. I'm happy to be here to be able to do it. Coming up at some fifty seven, Mark Levin's got a new book on power. He'll join the program. Er off top of our news, followed by Judge Annapolitano, whoe you can stick around. News happens fast, stay up to date at the top of the hour.
Speaker 2: Not going to be complicated, It's going to go very fast.
Speaker 1: Fifty five krz.
Speaker 2: The talkstation this report is spongor