Speaker 1: Hello, everybody, Welcome to the Buckeye with Me podcast. I'm Tony Gerdaman here once again with Juck Malletti. Jack, how's it going?
Speaker 2: Fantastic?
Speaker 3: As we wrap up here at Big ten Media Days twenty twenty six, one more show before we hit.
Speaker 2: The road, Are you ready to go home?
Speaker 1: Chris Agnetti asked. He was the last coach to speak to the television audience, and speaking to the media at the television audience, said hey, you guys all ready to go home? Because he knew he knew this was day three. Some people just show up for one day, some people show up for two days.
Speaker 2: We're here for three. Are you ready to be home? Absolutely? Man, I am so ready.
Speaker 3: The just the stimulation of being around this many people for three days in a row, with the constant noise and everything, it's enough.
Speaker 2: I want to get in the quiet room.
Speaker 1: It is a lot of noise where we are. We're Tom and Marcus and I are. We're twenty two stories up right, but it feels like we're still street level because of the noise of the loud cars and the police, and the constant noise is a noise.
Speaker 3: Where I am is the sixth floor on the best Western in the side street next to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a lot of action at night.
Speaker 3: We'll say that Chicago, downtown Chicago.
Speaker 2: Fun time, fun time.
Speaker 1: A little bit different than Indianapolis, for sure, and certainly well a different kind of different from Las Vegas a year ago.
Speaker 2: But you know, this was your first time here.
Speaker 1: This is this is the twentieth anniversary of my first time here, and it was the Chicago Media days and lots of since then. Kyle Woodingghan was told that coaches right now, when they do these offshoot things, they go for forty five minutes. Back in the day, it was two hours, And I remember having to transcribe two hours of Jim Trussell. Oh my gosh, So I mean you just watching stuff I got glittering about.
Speaker 3: I got off these I did flutter about. I'll tell you, I got a lot of takeaways. I mean, unbelievable experience really for someone who's just you know, for starters. When you talk about like the media, like all the media that you've seen on TV throughout your life as a sports fan, to see them all in person, none of them near as attractive as they are on TV.
Speaker 2: Okay, that you get an autograph. No, no crash.
Speaker 3: But the funny thing is, like my my instant reaction is like, hey, I want to go take a picture like seeing you know what I mean? Oh wait, no, that's not how you do this here. You're supposed to be a professional media guy. But no, that was really interesting. But obviously getting these these little forty five minute break away from all these coaches and hearing them talk, you know, and we don't ever watch press conferences really in depth from a whole lot of these rights, A couple that really stood out to me obviously seeing Whittingham today was of course one that I was waiting on and wanted to hear his first long one talking to the national media in front of you know, as the Michigan head coach. And the one thing that stood out for sure was he's not stoke in the flames of the rivalry. Though he did call Ohio State Ohio once and that other place or was it that other place with.
Speaker 2: It something something the other.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so to not say Ohio State, I thought that I was wondering what he was going to refer to Ohio State as I don't think we haven't answered yet, but it's not gonna be Ohio State.
Speaker 1: I think there may be some T shirts now coming out like the other state university something of that, something.
Speaker 2: Of that nature. But yeah, that was He seemed to be used to.
Speaker 1: The Pac twelve and the Big twelve in terms of the media because when he after and he's like this, I gotta do this for forty five minutes, he.
Speaker 2: Said, he said, he said over yet it was twenty minutes in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like this, No, you're you're gonna be here for a little while longer it any stands for about forty one or so. Don't to get too into the weeds there, but this is a big step up, just like this sort of stuff. But it's also a big step up going to Michigan. But the good news is he's got a bunch of players that are you know.
Speaker 2: Ready to go, as he said, ready made.
Speaker 1: Although when he arrived, were you over there when he said, when they got there and they said there the strength testing there, they like way like did not pass.
Speaker 3: How interesting was that because this is something to remember we talked about when Harbaugh left with that strength coach that they had and you know, we're things gonna go way down, and apparently it did because Witting him. It stood out to him and his staff just how soft and weak they were up in arbor. But he said they got it addressed. Now. I don't know how they could address it so quickly, but he says, you know, long lean, long lean athletes, but the strength wasn't there.
Speaker 2: Chocolate milk, right, Bryce Underwick, Tony.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you caught that whole thing. Let me tell you man, watching Jeremiah Smith and then Bryce the following day, the difference in attitude.
Speaker 2: I mean, both of them look like, you know, generational lathings. Right. Just how much time are you over there with Bryce the whole time? I asked, Yet Bryce is? I mean, but he looks the part.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he is just like like just like watching Jeremiah, he is so big, strong, confident, but the answers are so different.
Speaker 2: He's so arrogant. I asked him if he regrets anything.
Speaker 3: He said absolutely, like he cut the question off, but no, like just like, I mean, he's going to be an all time villain in this rivalry if he wins one, I mean, it's gonna get heated.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be great.
Speaker 1: I mean JJ McCarthy. He he enjoyed the victories and Kyle Whitingham was asked about that comment from Price Underwood, I'm being the best player to ever come out of Michigan and winning had the same question that we all had. Is he talking about the state or the school one? But also it is not losing much sleep over it. Also, you want your quarterbacks to be confident, though you don't want to say something that you're going to have to then you know, live up to in those kinds of terms, and certainly he's going to have to.
Speaker 3: So Bryce was asked to clarify what he means specifically, and the guy you know says, did you mean out of state of high school in Michigan, just out of the state in general, out of the University of Michigan. And Bryce's answer was out of the state of Michigan. So there really was a clarification. And then he has asked to follow up. You know that might have rubbed some people the wrong way. Does that bother you?
Speaker 2: No, that doesn't bother me.
Speaker 3: So I mean just confidence bordering on cockey and uh, you know it's good for the rivalry.
Speaker 1: I guess, No, it definitely is shifting away from that. I want to talk about some news from the Big Ten Today. Talk with Director of Officials Bill Corollo. I asked him, is Big Ten considering going to allow the television product to watch the replay officials and get Mike in there, get a camera in there, and he said yes on Friday night games in Big ten stadiums, and it made I don't think it was just between Big Ten teams, but like every Friday night, they will allow it and we will see if they like it. They probably won't extend it through the season, but he said, you know, they could if everybody likes it. It's something that the coaches were in favor of. He has no problem with it because he's confident in his officials, but everybody loves that kind of access. And now we'll get to see all of the sixteen angles. The why wasn't Kenyata Jackson? You just saw him get dragged down? Are they talking about that all that at all? So what do you think about finally having that access in the Big Ten?
Speaker 2: You know, we just.
Speaker 3: Watched all these Big Ten coaches stand up here on this podium and the first thing they all did was praise Tony Petitim for being such a visionary and forward thinking and it's about time the Big ten hops onto this, as we've seen here in the ACC in the Big twelve now for a little bit, and it is very interesting, you know, like hearing those conversations during that during them making the call. I think it just adds a level of transparency that you need and it's it's fantastic. So I can't wait to see it. I can't wait for them to roll it out further. But I think it's a great thing for the conference to move forward to that. I think everybody should.
Speaker 1: The coaches will also have access to that as well, so they'll get that first hand account of what's going on. Anybody else that you talk to that or coach that would you The crowd around Signetta, I'm gonna tell you this has been the largest crowd around an Indiana coach ever. We're sitting at a round table here, a little bit bigger. My first time being in a Big ten mediy days it was Terry Heppner, who was, you know, the late great Indiana coach now but there's a table of about eight chairs and then it was like three rows deep just being enamored with them. But Signetti today had he had the biggest crowd today and that includes Kyle Whittingham. It was yeah, it was a lot. Uh you know, I set up my camera to shoot video and eventually somebody stood in front of it. And that's just how things go when you're you know, running all over the place and people just aren't consider it anymore in the big cities.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had. Well, I won't tell that story.
Speaker 3: But when we talk about some people who really stood out, Dan Lanning did not. I'll tell you that Dan Lanning absolutely did not stand out. But you know, talking to like Signetti today, I would love to hear his opinion on Bob Chesney because Bob Presney was like sitting just I mean just listening to him talk and the confidence that he exudes, it's like the it factor that you can't describe.
Speaker 2: He's got it.
Speaker 3: He's got it, and it's no surprise that UCLA as a top twenty five class. We know that he can coach, we know that he has a staff Tony, he's got all the recipe that that Signetti had walked in. I mean, what Signetti did was the greatest thing ever and tell it that we've seen, but you couldn't have done that until recently.
Speaker 2: Right, who's to say you can't see something's not.
Speaker 3: That, but something similar at a place like UCLA.
Speaker 2: I think it's possible. Now.
Speaker 1: This is something that Tom and I talked about the other day talking about Brett Bielima, because he mentioned he was asked about Indiana. Does they give everybody hope? And he's like, what Indiana did? Yes, it gives you hope. But it's the greatest thing that has ever happened in college football. It's like the you know, the biggest thing. So can you repeat that? Like nobody should, nobody should have to be repeating that, but it shows you what's possible, and it certainly fires up fan bases and boosters. And when you fall short of that, it's like, why Indiana did it?
Speaker 2: Why can't you?
Speaker 1: Well, did we have all of these seniors? Did we have all of this talent? Did we bring in the number one draft pick in the NFL?
Speaker 2: Oh we didn't.
Speaker 1: Well, then you know, like, these aren't small things, These aren't just you know, nil, It takes more than that. But it is interesting for you to get a look at where you can't get a word into some coaches because of the entire crowd. But then you got like a Bob Chesney who has maybe like eight or nine people around that you can actually talk to a little bit with surprise and more. Yeah, and well it's it's UCLA, and there's no use there's not gonna be much California media here, you know. Uh so there are coaches like you can talk to just because there aren't enough people around, although at every single table you'll find some Ohio state media, which I'm sure you know true.
Speaker 2: I did notice that.
Speaker 3: Also notice that Dan Lanning what cut short?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: He cut out quick? Yeah, yeah, twenty six minutes twenty six minutes of his forty five that were allowed to have him, and he cut out quick.
Speaker 2: I did want to add that Ryan Day his presence here. He knows he's the man.
Speaker 3: He knows he's the that represents the conference. He's the top dog, and he carries himself like it, and he does a great job in this kind of setting. I mean, he looked like the dude it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, and he's he's worked hard to bring football back in twenty twenty when when COVID was, when Kevin Warren canceled it. So he's he's been a voice in the Big ten like once you become a highest head coach, you are one of the voices. But he certainly put up a fight over the years. And so congrats on your first one. But nobody knows where it's going to be next year. Well we'll eventually find out. But looking forward to that one as well. And now camp starts next week, and boy, I hope you get some resks because there will be no rest after that after this, so that that will do it for here. I want to thank you all for tuning in. And I just remembered this was a Buckeye would I say this is a Buckeye weekly? You did, all right, So this is a Buckeye weekly, and I want to thank you all for tuning and hit that thumbs up.
Speaker 2: We'd appreciate the.
Speaker 1: Follows and the subscribing to the channel today.
Speaker 2: That's very easy to do.
Speaker 1: Just hit the bell to be notified as well, and of course find us over at Buckeyinsiders dot com.
Speaker 2: Would love to see you there. Thank you all for tuning in, and I'll talk to you all later this time.
Speaker 4: What else, nothing away? Don't no one tell me I wish you devilment nothing.
Speaker 3: Mum around
Speaker 4: If you tell me that's some more and so right we can steal card, leave tonight