Speaker 1: Welcome to this deep dive. We're going to be looking at network security assessments. We'll be using the book Network Security Assessment, Know Your Network, third edition. By the way, I think it's going to be pretty interesting stuff, especially with you know, all the stuff we hear about security these days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. I mean, coactive security is so important. That's really where these assessments come in. And you know what's really interesting about this book is it actually follows a lot of those industry recognized pen testing standards, you know, like the ones from NIST and the NSA.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, so it's like the real deal. Huh, We're not messing.
Speaker 2: Around here, Yeah, yeah, no kidding.
Speaker 1: Well, so one thing that really stuck out to me at the beginning of this book was, you know, we hear all the time that software is getting more secure, right, but our systems are also becoming more and more complex, and it seems like that kind of opens up this whole new set of challenges.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Yeah, And on top of that, you have the attackers who are getting more creative. They're always finding new ways to you know what weaknesses.
Speaker 1: So it's like two steps forward, one step back kind of Even when we make progress on the security front. There's always something else popping up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. And you know what's even more unsettling, Sometimes the very tools that we rely on for security can have flaws themselves. A researcher at Google Project zero, Tavis Ormandy, you might have heard of him. He's uncovered vulnerabilities in a bunch of popular anti virus products.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, So even the stuff that's supposed to protect us can be turned against us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's kind of a scary thought.
Speaker 1: It's like finding out your bodyguard is actually working for the other side. So where do we even begin to tackle this whole mess.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, if you really want to protect your network, you got to start by thinking like someone who's trying to break into it. And that's the whole idea behind these network security assessments.
Speaker 1: Okay, so like put on our black hats and get into the hacker mindset.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: So let's play that game for a second. If you were a hacker, what would be your first.
Speaker 2: Move, No doubt about it. Reconnaissance. It's all about gathering information, you know, like a detective collecting evidence.
Speaker 1: So basically, you're trying to learn as much as you can about the target before you even make a move.
Speaker 2: Exactly, you want to know what you're dealing with.
Speaker 1: So what kind of tools would you use for that?
Speaker 2: Oh, there were a bunch of them out there.
Speaker 1: The book mentions showdown, which is like a search engine for exposed devices. You can find all sorts of information about a target's network using that.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, things like open ports, running services, even the types of devices they're using.
Speaker 1: Wow, so you can really get a pretty detailed picture.
Speaker 2: And then there's whois, which gives you information about domain registration. You can find out who owns the domain, when it was registered, where their servers are located, all that stuff.
Speaker 1: So it's like piecing together a puzzle, taking little bits of information from different sources.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're building a profile of your target.
Speaker 1: And then what they use this information to launch more targeted attacks?
Speaker 2: Exactly, they want to make sure they're hitting the right spots.
Speaker 1: Right. The book has this crazy story about a phishing attack against a financial institution. The attackers created a fake VPN portal and they got employees to enter their login information.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, so they thought they were connecting securely, but they were actually giving their credentials away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's crazy. How clever these attackers can be.
Speaker 2: And it highlights how important the human element is in all of this. You can have the best tech defenses in the world, but as someone falls for a phishing scam, it can all be bypassed.
Speaker 1: That's unsettling to think about. It's like having a fortress with steel walls but leaving the front gate wide open.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's why it's important to understand the psychology behind these attacks. You know why people fall for them.
Speaker 1: Right, So it's not just about securing the systems, it's about educating the people who use them.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Awareness is a huge part of the equation. We'll be getting into a lot of that stuff later on.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, this is already giving me a lot to think about, and we're just getting.
Speaker 2: Started, just scratching the surface.
Speaker 1: So we've talked about reconnaissance and the human factor. What else is there to consider when it comes to network security assessments.
Speaker 2: Well, let's talk about the attack surface. You know, all the points where an attacker could potentially get in. Every exposed element of a network is part of that, like servers, applications, even user devices.
Speaker 1: So the bigger the attack surface, the more potential entry points there are for attackers.
Speaker 2: Right. It's like leaving all the doors and windows unlocked and then wondering why someone broke in.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's say an attacker has done their homework, they've found some potential entry points. How do they actually figure out what's vulnerable, what they can exploit.
Speaker 2: That's where we get into how software itself can have weaknesses, like built in vulnerabilities. There's this model called the Seven Pernicious Kingdoms that helps categorize these weaknesses.
Speaker 1: Seven Pernicious Kingdoms sounds kind of ominous.
Speaker 2: It is in a way because these weaknesses can have serious consequences.
Speaker 1: So what are some examples of these kingdoms or whatever they're called.
Speaker 2: Well, one of the most common is input validation and representation. If a program doesn't properly check the data it receives, an attacker can sneak in malicious code.
Speaker 1: Oh I see. So it's like if you're filling out an online form, instead of typing your name, you type in some code that tells the server to do.
Speaker 2: Something bad exactly.
Speaker 1: That could lead to all sorts of problems, right, like a buffer overflow where you overload a program with data and cause it to crash.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or cross site scripting, where malicious scripts are injected into websites to steal information or take control.
Speaker 1: Wow, so many ways for things to go wrong, and those.
Speaker 2: Are just two examples. Other kingdoms include things like API abuse, where attackers exploit the way programs communicate with each other, and security features flaws, where the mechanisms that are supposed to protect us actually have weaknesses that can be exploited.
Speaker 1: So it's like the very things we rely on for security can sometimes be our downfall.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a constant arms race.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've got attackers doing the reconnaissance finding these weaknesses, and then what's next, how do they actually get into the.
Speaker 2: Network that brings us to attack vectors and vulnerabilities the way that these weaknesses can actually be exploited.
Speaker 1: So it's like finding a crack in a wall and then figuring out how to widen it so you can get through exactly.
Speaker 2: And one of the key areas here is understanding network protocols like TCP, UDP, SCTP. These are the languages that computers use to talk to.
Speaker 1: Each other, and if there are flaws in these protocols, attackers can use them to their advantage.
Speaker 2: Precisely, they can manipulate these protocols to bypass security measures like intrusion detection systems and intrusion prevention systems.
Speaker 1: So even if you have those systems in place, they're not fool proof.
Speaker 2: No, unfortunately not. And then there are tools like sniff, joke and end map that attackers use for things like port scanning, which is basically checking for open doors on a computer system, so.
Speaker 1: They're looking for any way that can get in, and endmap.
Speaker 2: Can also be used for other things like OS fingerprinting, where they figure out what operating system a target is running, and banner grabbing, which involves collecting information about the services that are running on a server.
Speaker 1: Wow, so they're gathering all this information to build a complete picture of the target network exactly.
Speaker 2: They want to know as much as possible before they make their move.
Speaker 1: This is all pretty intense stuff. It's amazing how much thought and effort goes into these attacks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, these attackers are often very skilled and determined. But the good news is that by understanding their methods, we can better defend ourselves.
Speaker 1: Right, Knowledge is power. Well, I'm definitely learning a lot here today, and I'm a little bit scared to be honest, it is.
Speaker 2: A bit daunting, but it's important to face these threats head on, and that's what we're here to do.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've talked about reconnaissance, vulnerabilities, attack vectors. We've even touched on some pretty advanced techniques. Where do we go.
Speaker 2: From here, Well, now that we have a better understanding of how attackers operate, we can start to think about how to defend ourselves, and that's where things get really interesting. Okay, so far we've been talking about the attacker's perspective, but now let's switch gears a bit and look at things from the defender side. How do security pros actually go about assessing a network for those vulnerab abilities.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's one thing to talk about how attackers operate, but it's another thing to actually try to find those weaknesses before.
Speaker 2: They do exactly. And one of the most effective ways to do that is through penetration testing, or ethical hatting as it's sometimes called.
Speaker 1: So basically hiring good guys to try to break into your system in a nutshell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but of course it's not as simple as just letting anyone loose on your network. There's a whole process involved. A structured approach to make sure it's done safely and responsibly.
Speaker 1: Right, you don't want to cause any damage or accidentally leak sensitive information exactly.
Speaker 2: And the book actually walks us through this process in detail. It starts with information gathering, just like we talked about from the attackers perspective.
Speaker 1: So the good guys are doing their reconnaissance too.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, they need to understand the target environment before they can start poking around for vulnerabilities, makes sense, And they use a lot of the same techniques that attackers use, like open source intelligence.
Speaker 1: Ohcent right, we talked about that earlier.
Speaker 2: Yep, scouring publicly available information for clues about the target network, things like online databases, social media profiles, even company websites.
Speaker 1: Wow, so they're basically playing detective.
Speaker 2: In a way. Yeah, they're trying to piece together a picture of the network, identify potential points of entry, expose servers, open ports, even the versions of software that are being used.
Speaker 1: And sometimes a simple whois lookup can reveal a lot, right.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you'd be surprised how often you can find outdated contact information or even details about employees who no longer work for the company.
Speaker 1: So it's not just about the technical stuff. It's about the human element too, always, So once they've gathered all this information, what's next?
Speaker 2: Then they move on to vulnerability scanning, using automated tools to check for known weaknesses.
Speaker 1: So kind of like running a security check on your computer, but for the whole network exactly. But I imagine these scanners aren't perfect, are they?
Speaker 2: No, they're not. They can sometimes flag things that aren't actually vulnerabilities or false positives.
Speaker 1: So you can't just rely on them blindly.
Speaker 2: Nope, A good penetration tester will always verify those findings manually before attempting any exploitation.
Speaker 1: So how do they go about verifying those potential vulnerabilities.
Speaker 2: It depends on the specific vulnerability, but they might use tools like n map to probe the target system, or they might craft custom network packets to see how the system responds.
Speaker 1: So they're being very careful making sure they don't accidentally break anything exactly.
Speaker 2: It's all about testing the waters before diving in.
Speaker 1: Okay, So let's say they've identified a real vulnerability, something that could actually be exploited by an attacker.
Speaker 2: Then it's time for the fun part, exploitation.
Speaker 1: Okay, now I'm really intrigued.
Speaker 2: This is where they try to actually exploit the weakness to see how far an attacker could get.
Speaker 1: What kind of techniques do they use for that?
Speaker 2: Oh? All sorts of things, depending on the nature of the vulnerability.
Speaker 1: Oh, we've talked about some of them before, like buffer overflows and SEQL injection.
Speaker 2: Right, yep, those are classic techniques. Buffer overflows involve overflowing a portion of memory to xcut malicious code, and SQL injection manipulates database queries to gain unauthorized access to data.
Speaker 1: Right. And then there's cross site scripting where you inject malicious scripts into websites yep.
Speaker 2: And then there's privileged escalation where you try to gain higher levels of access within a system.
Speaker 1: So many ways to break in it's a bit overwhelming, I know it is, but it's also fascinating in a way, like a game of chess, but with really high stakes.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and the stakes are only getting higher as attackers become more sophisticated.
Speaker 1: Can you give you an example, like a specific case from the book of how a vulnerability might be exploited.
Speaker 2: Sure, there's a case study in the book about a vulnerability in a particular FTP server. This vulnerability allowed anyone to upload files to the server, even if they weren't authenticated.
Speaker 1: Wait, so anyone could just dump whatever they wanted on this server pretty much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and an attacker could easily exploit this by uploading a malicious file like a backdoor or a webshell.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, So they could basically take control of the.
Speaker 2: Server exactly, and then they could use that server to launch further attacks, steal data, or just cause general mayhem.
Speaker 1: Scary stuff it.
Speaker 2: Is, but it highlights how important it is to find and fix these vulnerabilities before the bad guys do.
Speaker 1: So what happens after they've exploited a vulnerability, Well.
Speaker 2: It depends on the attackers' goals, but often they'll try to maintain a low profile. They might install backdoors, create hidden user accounts, or even hijack legitimate user accounts.
Speaker 1: So they're trying to blend in make it harder to detect their activity exactly.
Speaker 2: They want to stay under the radar for as long as possible. That makes sense, and that's where tools like intrusion detection and prevention systems come in. These systems monitor network traffic for suspicious activity and can alert administrators or even block malicious traffic automatically.
Speaker 1: So they're like security cameras for the network in a way. But even the best security systems can be bypassed.
Speaker 2: Right Unfortunately, Yes, attackers are always finding new ways to evade detection. That's why it's important to have a layered security approach, multiple layers of defense, right.
Speaker 1: It's not enough to just have one line of defense.
Speaker 2: Nope, you need multiple layers, like a strong firewall, intrusion detection systems, anti virus software, and strong security policies.
Speaker 1: So it's about making it as difficult as possible for an attacker to succeed exactly.
Speaker 2: You want to make them work for it and hopefully they'll give up and move on to an easier target.
Speaker 1: And we haven't even talked about social engineering yet.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we can't forget about that.
Speaker 1: The book has a whole section on that. It's crazy how attackers can manipulate people into giving up sensitive information or access to systems.
Speaker 2: It's a very powerful technique. They often exploit our natural tendencies to be helpful and trusting. They might impersonate a coworker, a vendor, or even a government official to trick someone into revealing information.
Speaker 1: The book gives some pretty scary examples of how that's been done in the past.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like that story about the attacker who called up an employee pretending to be from IT and ask for their passwords. It's amazing how easily people can be fooled.
Speaker 1: It is, especially when they're caught off guard or under pressure exactly.
Speaker 2: And these attacks can be very sophisticated, involving a lot of research and planning to create a believable scenario.
Speaker 1: So what can we do to protect ourselves from these social engineering attacks?
Speaker 2: The best defense is awareness and education. We need to teach people to be skeptical of unsolicited requests for information, to verify identities, and to report any suspicious activity.
Speaker 1: Right, It's not enough to just have the latest security software. We need to create a security conscious culture.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we've covered a lot of ground today, from reconnaissance to vulnerability scanning, to exploitation to social engineering, and I'm sure there's even more to come.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we've only just scratched the surface. But I think we've laid a good foundation for understanding the basics of network security assessments, and in the next part we'll delve even deeper. Into some of the more advanced techniques and concepts.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm ready for it. Bring on the advance stuff, all right, So we're back for the final part of our deep dive into network security assessments. I'm ready to tackle some more of this stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've definitely covered a lot of ground so far, but there's still some really interesting stuff to explore in this book.
Speaker 1: You know, in the last part we were talking about how attackers can exploit network protocols and authentication mechanisms. But now I'm kind of curious about the whole cryptography side of things. The book has this whole chapter dedicated to assessing cryptographic systems.
Speaker 2: Yeah, cryptography is like the backbone of network security, right. It's used everywhere to encrypt data, authenticate users, make sure that communication hasn't.
Speaker 1: Been tampered with, right, right, So it's basically all about protecting information and making sure it stays confidential and secure exactly.
Speaker 2: But the thing is, if these cryptographic systems are not implemented or configured correctly, they can actually create weaknesses that attackers can exploit.
Speaker 1: So it's like having a strong lock on your door but then accidentally leaving the key under.
Speaker 2: The mat Yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 1: You've got the security in place, but if there's a simple way to bypass it, it's not really doing much good exactly.
Speaker 2: And the book actually walks through different types of cryptographic attacks that attackers might use, things like brute force attacks where they just try every possible key combination until they find the right one.
Speaker 1: So it's basically a trial and error approach hoping to get lucky.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and with enough computing power it can actually be effective against weaker encryption algorithms. But then there's cryptanalysis, which is a bit more sophisticated. It involves using mathematical techniques to exploit weaknesses in the encryption algorithm itself.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, so that sounds like some serious math skills are required.
Speaker 2: Yeah, cryptanalysis is definitely a specialized area. And then there are side channel attacks, which are even more subtle.
Speaker 1: Side channel attacks what are those?
Speaker 2: Well, they involve observing the physical characteristics of a cryptographic system, things like power consumption, electromagnetic emissions, even the time it takes to perform certain operations. And by analyzing these physical characteristics, attackers can actually infer information about the secret key.
Speaker 1: Wow, so they're not even directly attacking the algorithm itself.
Speaker 2: Nope, they're looking for clues in the way the system behaves.
Speaker 1: That's pretty sneaky, it is.
Speaker 2: And side channel attacks are becoming more and more popular as attackers get more sophisticated.
Speaker 1: So even if you're using a strong encryption algorithm, you still need to be aware of these other potential attack vectors.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, security is all about layers.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've talked about different types of cryptographic attacks, but what about key management? How does that fit into all of this.
Speaker 2: Key management is crucial for any cryptographic system. It's all about generating, storing, distributing, and revoking cryptographic keys securely.
Speaker 1: So it's not just about having a key, it's about keeping it safe and making sure that only authorized individuals have access to it.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: It's like having a safe with a combination lock, but if you write the combination down on a sticky note and stick to the safe, it's not really very secure, is it?
Speaker 2: Not at all? And the book goes into a lot of detail about best practices for key management, things like using hardware security modules or HSMs to store keys securely and implementing key rotation policies to make sure the keys are changed regularly.
Speaker 1: So it's like changing the locks on your house every once in a while to make it harder for burglars to break in.
Speaker 2: Exactly makes sense.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've covered cryptography key management. What about password cracking that's always a hot topic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, password cracking is an important part of network security assessment. It allows us to test the strength of our passwords and identify weak passwords that attackers could easily guess.
Speaker 1: And the book talks about all sorts of different password cracking techniques.
Speaker 2: Yeah, things like dictionary attacks where they try common words and phrases, and brute force attacks where they try every possible combination of characters. There are even tools like John the Ripper and hashcat which can try millions or even billions of passwords per second.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's incredible. So it's like having an army of robots trying every possible combination on your door lock until they find the right one.
Speaker 2: Pretty much.
Speaker 1: So, what can we do to protect ourselves from these password cracking attacks?
Speaker 2: The best defense is to use strong, unique passwords for all of your accounts. A strong password is at least twelve characters long, includes a mix of upper and lower case letters, numbers and.
Speaker 1: Symbols, right, And the book also recommends using a password manager.
Speaker 2: Yes, password managers are great. They encrypt your passwords and store them securely, so you only need to remember one master password, so it's.
Speaker 1: Like having a digital vault for all of your passwords exactly. Okay, so we've covered cryptography, key management, password cracking. What else is there to consider?
Speaker 2: Well, the book also delves into malware analysis, which is all about understanding how malware works.
Speaker 1: Malware so like viruses, worms, trojans, all that nasty stuff.
Speaker 2: Yep, all of the above, and malware analysis is essential for developing effective countermeasures.
Speaker 1: So it's like having a team of scientists studying a dangerous virus to figure out out how it spreads and how to cure it exactly.
Speaker 2: And the book covers various techniques for analyzing malware static analysis where you examine the code without actually running it, and dynamic analysis, where you run the malware in a controlled environment to see how it behaves.
Speaker 1: So it's like studying the blueprints of a building versus actually walking through it and seeing how it's laid out.
Speaker 2: That's good analogy. And they're even specialized tools for malware analysis like ida pro and Gidra.
Speaker 1: Those sound pretty hardcore.
Speaker 2: They are, but they're essential for understanding the inner workings of malware.
Speaker 1: Wow. Well, we've covered a lot of ground today, from cryptography to password cracking to malware analysis. It's been a pretty intense deep dive.
Speaker 2: It has, but I think it's been worth it. We've learned a lot about how attackers operate and how we can defend ourselves.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and I'm feeling a lot more informed about network security now. I still feel a little bit overwhelmed, to be honest, but in a good way, like I've just scratched the surface of a vast and complex subject.
Speaker 2: That's a good way to put it. Network security is a constantly evolving field. There's always something new to learn, new threats to face.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm definitely going to be keeping an eye on this stuff from now on. I'm also going to be double checking all of my passwords and making sure I'm using a password manager.
Speaker 2: Good idea, and don't forget to stay informed about the latest security threats.
Speaker 1: Right, Knowledge is power. Well, I think that's a wrap for our deep dive into network security assessments.
Speaker 2: It's been a pleasure.
Speaker 1: Thanks for joining me on this journey and to everyone listening, stay safe out there in the digital world, and stay curious.