Speaker 1: While listening to Denverest Talk station. It's six thirty kus.
Speaker 2: Ripped up.
Speaker 3: News needed by Soho.
Speaker 1: You don't have.
Speaker 4: Come running sustas as we can.
Speaker 2: Shooter's gonna help come Man Dix.
Speaker 5: Is the Troubleshooter Show. No Tom Martino.
Speaker 1: Hey, I'm Tom Martino and this is the Troubleshooter Show. And as you know, we have fun here. You can park yourself in front of the radio or alongside of radio or the iHeartRadio app and anywhere in the country you can listen to us. You can call in for help three oh three Martino, you can call twenty four to seven three oh three six two seven eight four sixty six for those joining us. It's the longest running radio show in America with the same hosts currently on the air, and we've been recovering hundreds of millions of dollars over the years in cash, merchandise exchanges, refunds and services in the studio. Today with us, we have a guest, Mitch Fluria from the Art of Granite Loved Mitch. He I love telling a story how he came to America with a few hundred bucks and built a wonderful business helping you with your countertops. So, Mitch, welcome to the show. Thanks for being here, Major Mark Major as always to lend his to lend his opinion, even when we don't ask for it all. Yes, thank you very much, Doc, you keep it there. Now let's go to the phone. So, okay, these are people that called in need help. Let's see what we can do to help. We have Vanessa an issue with a contractor, and I believe Vanessa called. She might have called yesterday and talked about this. Vanessa, when did you call in? First?
Speaker 6: It was this morning?
Speaker 1: Oh I'm sorry? Okay, so yeah, so quick in case. Yeah, well, thank you for calling. Now, Kaschina, you said to check my email. Did you send me something from Vanessa? She's on the phone, it looks like it.
Speaker 7: What is her problem?
Speaker 1: Is it a roof issue?
Speaker 8: I have?
Speaker 1: I have the proposal, Vanessa, I had this this Huran roof and insulation. Is that the one you've been dealing with? Correct? What's going on with is that? How you pronounce it? Haran haraun uh huh herrun? What's going on with her? Ruin roof and insulation? What's going on? So?
Speaker 6: Originally the contractor had given me a proposal for a red manufactured's metal roof, and the day before the tear off, he called me and said he couldn't get that material, but he was going to put on a galvanized roof and paint it. And I said, absolutely not, that's not the industry standard, it will not hold up. Guaranteed me a twenty five year warranty on the paint.
Speaker 9: Don't do it, and we.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we came to an impast. Okay, he also contracted. He also contracted to build me a closet in my little cabin. And so when we came to an impast, he refused to do the closet, but he had my eight thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: Now, but here's what I don't understand. Why would you even pay him eight thousand dollars upfront? Why?
Speaker 6: Well, he did a window and a door for me before, so I trusted him, and he said he needed it for materials I know now.
Speaker 1: Okay, So what I see here is on the contract tear off asphalt installed square ice and water shield, fire engine red corrugated metal roofing with trim. It doesn't say what kind of roofing it was.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it does is right there with fire engine red corrugated metal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but what I'm saying is it doesn't say it's prepainted Mark.
Speaker 7: Well, it's just red fire engine red.
Speaker 1: Right. Well, okay, so if he put on a corrugated metal roof and painted it red, he would satisfy this this contract.
Speaker 8: Well, I don't know about that, but I see what you're saying now. But he's even telling her Tom that he can't get that material. So he actually has acknowledged that he can't get whatever, which I wonder why he can't get that material or if he underbid it.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's a good question. Why can't he get the material? He didn't say, And so you said to him, let's just cancel the whole thing since you can't do it.
Speaker 6: No, I said, since you have my eight thousand dollars you can you can do the the closet. And he refused.
Speaker 1: Oh wait a minute, So he said, if I can't do everything, I'm not going to do anything.
Speaker 8: Correct, Well, then just get your eight thousand back if he hasn't done anything, and.
Speaker 1: Call it over.
Speaker 6: Really, I went to small claims court. He didn't show up the first time. The second time he had, Well, you know, you.
Speaker 1: Don't have to go a second time. What happened when he didn't show up?
Speaker 6: They made another they made another court date.
Speaker 1: Oh that such Oh wait a minute's right to meculous? You mean the judge did not call it a default judgment?
Speaker 7: Wait wait did they say there was a problem with service?
Speaker 6: No, no, he was served, so but they made another court date. And then when we went to court, he served me with a countersuit of defamation, which I've never said.
Speaker 7: That doesn't matter. So what happened though, But so.
Speaker 6: It goes to another court ultimation?
Speaker 1: Deultimation? Right? What is probably left a review or something? I know? I know.
Speaker 6: So he sued me for twelve thousand dollars for defamation. I get in myself. I know this keeps going. We go to court, he doesn't show.
Speaker 10: We get a default judgment.
Speaker 6: And two hours later he goes to the court and says, I need a new court date because I couldn't show because I had a flat tire.
Speaker 9: But he couldn't.
Speaker 1: Did they give him did they give him on?
Speaker 6: They did?
Speaker 8: Just gotoby Weld County. Where else where is this county.
Speaker 1: Hold on? That's amazing? Now, Vanessa, Vanessa, right now, I need to know the status of lawsuits. So let's talk about that. What is the status of your lawsuits?
Speaker 6: We're waiting for another court date, but here we go for another update. He knows what he's doing because he's doing this to somebody else right now too. So right now today he got he sent a letter to the court. Then that letter got sent to the my attorney that said, please don't make a court date for this month because my father in law is ill and I don't know when I'm going to be back in town.
Speaker 8: You know, in my opinion, this is all orchestrated, completely an opinion, But this guy sounds like he has done this so many freaking times.
Speaker 7: What's his name? What's his company's name?
Speaker 6: His name is Ryan Allison.
Speaker 1: And let me ask you about this. Let me ask you about this defamation. Where is he suing you for defamation?
Speaker 6: He said, I said something on next door, which I haven't.
Speaker 1: Well, it doesn't matter. I'm asking where is he suing you for defamation? Which court?
Speaker 6: Oh, well, it's the higher court, it's I don't know, it's probably counting of Jefferson.
Speaker 1: Right, did you actually get served with a lawsuit?
Speaker 8: Yes, well, he countersued her, But then he didn't show up right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But and what I want to know is this about the defamation. How much is he asking.
Speaker 6: For twelve thousand dollars Budd's And how did he come up?
Speaker 1: How did he how did he come up with the figure? Okay, do you know what defamation?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 1: People misunderstand defamation all the time.
Speaker 9: Yep.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well I'm asking you what what do you know about defamation?
Speaker 6: That it has to impact you financially and you have to have proof of that.
Speaker 1: Now, that's exactly where you're smart, except there is one exception. If it gives you emotional distress and all of that, you can put an arbitrary number on that you're not allowed to suit. May I finish? May I finish this so I can tell people about this? No, No, just let me finish this. Defamation comes in two flavors. One is against a public figure like me. I'm not I'm not calling myself you know special, It's just that I'm on the air every day. So if someone, if if I ever sued someone for defamation or for damages like that, I'd have to show actual damages. I'm not allowed to take emotional damages into consideration because they figure if I'm in the public I take on that risk. However, if I'm a private individual, if I attack this roofer and call him a scumbag or something and he wanted to assue me, he can go for actual damages. But he can also go for emotional distress and trauma. And that's why I'm asking, is he going for anything emotional? It doesn't sound like it. It sounds like he put a price of twelve thousand dollars. You know, how did he come up?
Speaker 8: How did he come up with that price of First, I still got to jump in with the definition of defamation. Both of you forgot one of the biggest things. It has to be a false statement. If you go on next door and say this guy took eight thousand dollars and can't fulfill the contract and won't give me my money back, that's not defamation.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, Mark, let me amend that just a little, because you're most correct. It has to be it has to be false. If in fact it is true and it's done just to shed someone in a negative light, then that also can be defamatory even if it's true. I want to take something, for example, if someone is transgender, or if someone is gay, or someone is a member of the white supremacist something or other. Whatever. If something is true, but the only reason for talking about it, it has nothing to do with the ability for someone to do a roof or a home improvement, but it's just to bring them into a negative light. It could become defamation. And I listen, man, I believe you.
Speaker 8: But that brings up a question I have, and that would be, how does every far right wing talk show host survive the world?
Speaker 1: Then, well, Mark, I'm going to tell you something. They survived the world for one word. And you know what that word is, Mark, You know what it is. It's what opinion. I mean, you say it all the time. You know, of course, of course I got you. Now, the opinion can't just be so out there that it's crazy. For example, in the recent lawsuits against Dominion, the the the voting machines and the voting software, well man, you know a lot of people came right out and said some nasty things like like just they came right out and said they're they're setting up you know, a false yeah, but narratives they were stating a miss fact. Yeah, but they were You're right, But they tried to hide behind opinion, and it wasn't and the course that's not your opinion. You were making it sound like a fact. So in any case, though it's mark is ninety nine percent right, this statement must be false. The true statements that it's not even worth discussing right now because they have to be done in such a way that it defames the entire classipe have something. Yes, let's say this.
Speaker 12: Let's say a contractor is gay, and you say, I think because he's gay that he did this, blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: That's where that's where it becomes that inflammatory.
Speaker 8: That's kind of an opinion. Though he goes, I think this guy's gay, meaning his opinion.
Speaker 12: No, let's say that he is, no question, but I'm saying because he's gay, this is what he did, whereas a heteromele wouldn't have done it.
Speaker 13: Is that defamation?
Speaker 1: Now it could be. Here's another thing. If the group is large enough, it becomes no defamation. If you are insulting a group, and usually the courts have been around twenty five people or more. If there is a group of people like gay people, and you just get on and like the gay population, can't do a class act lawsuit against you, for defamation of gay people. So it would be very difficult if you said, you know, all of these gay people do the same thing, or all these heterosexual people, or all these transgender people do the same thing, and it probably would not rise to the level of defamation. There's also something else that's usually not defamatory, and that is when something is done in humor or in what's called it's so out there and so freaking stupid. Yes, Like, I believe this guy is from a group of contractors who came from outer space to rip off people. They have a plot and they're coming from outer space. They're taking over the bodies of contractors, ripping off Americans, and they're using the money to build spaceships. I mean, you know, I'm just giving some creepy stuff. So here's what we have right now. We have a guy, I believe who is manipulating the system to try to just make Vanessa go away. Vanessa, when is your next hearing? Do you have one set?
Speaker 6: We don't have one yet because he said he's going to be unavailable because his father in law's having surgery, open heart surgery.
Speaker 1: So have you been unable to get and you have two different courts. The one is still in small claims, right, or did it move up to county court?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it went up to county court.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because why don't you wait?
Speaker 8: Why don't you once again though, that's because of his countersuit. Yes, right, yes, well that's what I'm saying in my opinion. Once again, this guy is staging this whole thing. Hey, two things, O time, we got to take a break, and I think we need to reach out and see if Kelly can't get this guy's side of the story right.
Speaker 1: Exactly, good idea. You hold on. We got more coming up on the Troubleshooter Show. Tom Martine here three h three, seven to one to three talk renew Home Innovations will get your beautiful walking showers with porcelain sheet walls. Man, can you believe that porcelain sheet walls, No, no maintenance whatsoever, the most beautiful materials. They can do your whole bathroom or just your shower and they can make the shower. It's like like just customized all your movements. You can do that for your dream home, or you can do it. You can do other levels of quality and trim for fix and flips or rentals. Renew home innovations dot Com two or three days, they're done. That's renew home Innovations dot com three oh three nine zero four, two thousand. Speaking of porcelain, a miss Fluria. Is porcelain ever used for countertops? He's with the art of granite? Just real quick? Are they? Are they? Is porcelain ever used for countertops?
Speaker 3: Good morning, Tom, Thank you for having me today. Yes, yes, sir, fabricate porcelain for countertops. It comes in pretty thin, so we always have to build up those edges. We need to mind the room and thicken the You know that beauty.
Speaker 1: It's beautiful stuff, isn't it? My god, it's beautiful.
Speaker 3: Yes, it comes in all sorts of colors, and he has so much movement and flow.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 8: Would it work with like in a kitchen with hot pans and stuff?
Speaker 1: Yes, it's heatproof.
Speaker 3: Actually one of the very few products there is heatproof.
Speaker 1: Okay, I want to talk to Henry Brett's over at Excel Roofing, one of our roofing experts of course, a sponsor of this show and the original member of the referral list at referrals dot com. Basically, Henry, what what reason would a roofer have for not being able to get a certain type of roof.
Speaker 8: I mean it's a red galvanized, not painted, but a you know, impregnated whatever you call it, red galvanized roof. And the guy has it on the contract, and all of a sudden Henry said, hey, I can't get that, but I can get this other stuff and paint it.
Speaker 1: What do you make of that? Oh, by the way, the name of the company. Hold on a second, the name of the company. I was in error when I said Harun, that's her name. It's the hern job. The name of the company is Ryan J. Allison, Inc. General contractor Ryan J. Allison. So I got that wrong. People, I'll go ahead.
Speaker 11: Henry, Yeah, absolutely, Tom, And I mean you want to install what's on the contract, that is what's that's what's right, and what's just sure or is it like material shortages? Sure that stuff will happen, but it's always best to verify with the supply house first to see if they have the material.
Speaker 1: But have you heard of these pre these pre painted galvanized roofs.
Speaker 11: You know, there's so many different materials out there. I have heard of them. I wouldn't I wouldn't recommend though, to go off of something that's not on the contract.
Speaker 1: So here's what the contract says, though the contract truly doesn't say any Here's what the contract says. It says installed. And I want to know how you would read this, Henry install eleven square of fire engine red corrugated metal roofing with trim. To me, that sounds like he can put up a corrugated metal roof and paint it. What does it say to you as a roofer?
Speaker 11: Yeah, so as as a roofer, that contract it's fairly vague. So all it's describing is the material and the color. So based on that they should be able to go up there, install the chorreated metal or prepainted or painted after the fact, and that would be That's what.
Speaker 1: I think too. I think too. She said it was the contract that it does not say anything about pre finished or anything. And technically, if the guy wanted to install and paint it, I'm not saying that's what she wanted. I don't doubt Vanessa's story at all. But what I'm saying is Ryan Allison is not He didn't. He didn't make a contract he can't keep. I think he by putting up a roof and painting it. Mark, Honestly, when you read that, do you assume it's going to be pre painted and prepaintished?
Speaker 8: A couple things you guys are making me think here. So if it's corrugated metal, if it was pre painted and it was done properly with the right paint, Uh, that's a good possibility. And I would agree with both of you. But the way I read it is it's not going to be. If he puts it up there then decides to paint the roof after the corrugated metals up there, there's going to be a lot of it not painted, and I think that's going to be ridiculous.
Speaker 1: No, No, I'm not saying it's the best way to do it, But I want to ask Henry, Henry, corrugated metal roofing, how does it take paint? And is it common to paint them?
Speaker 11: You know what, Yeah, it is fairly common to paint that kind of stuff, and you can paint it. It's always best so to prep it on the ground and have it pre painted. To install it and then paint it, You're just you're never going to.
Speaker 1: Well and we don't know, we don't know how he was going to do it for all we No, he was going to paint it on the ground. See that's the problem with this contract. We don't really know how he was going to do it. But she immediately stopped him, and he's saying to her, wait a minute, I'm willing to do this contract. It's you're You're the one who's canceling it. That's what I'm thinking. But again, Vanessa, did he say he's willing to do the contract?
Speaker 7: Hold on, let me get her up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Vanessa, we were just asking did he indicate did he indicate he's willing to do the contract.
Speaker 6: At the time, Yes, and he was going to paint it once it was on the roof.
Speaker 1: By the way, I should say this, this was back in This was back in twenty twenty four, March of twenty twenty four. So you've been waiting that long for an up for a court date.
Speaker 14: Yes, there are multiple cored dates involved.
Speaker 1: So the first.
Speaker 14: One and then and then he just keeps dragging it off. He's dragging us out. That's easy to do it this long, jeez.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I'm not sure she's gonna win.
Speaker 8: Okay, guys on the lawsuit, guys, hold on, guys, Okay, hold on, let me answer this, Henry.
Speaker 1: The lawsuit is she wants her money backer down payment. Okay, okay, so go ahead.
Speaker 11: Mark wants to paint on the roof.
Speaker 1: Hold On, don't. We don't know how he wants to paint it. All we know is he's willing to give her a red corrugated metal roof.
Speaker 6: No, I haven't written that he was going to paint it once it was installed.
Speaker 1: Which is absurd to me. That's totally absurd. Well, it doesn't say that on the contract.
Speaker 8: But everything, but look, everything I'm reading basically says buying it colored material is way better than painting it for long term, you know, durability, and you know painting is more.
Speaker 1: Of a cost efficient thing.
Speaker 8: But it really comes down to this, though, if you want to think in real terms, long as the caller's not fit in to us, he told her it's going to be pre painted, ready to go and put up there. Then he told her Henry that he can't get that material, so he needs to get the regular stuff then paint it. So he's actually acknowledged according to her what he was gonna do.
Speaker 1: Okay, is that in writing, But no, it's not. Now Here's what I think. I think if he shows up to court and says, your honor, I'm willing to fulfill the contract, and I think she's going to lose. That's just my gut feeling.
Speaker 8: I really mean that, Hey, do you have anything in text or emails or anything, Vanessa that says it were this dispute and he acknowledges like he can't get that material?
Speaker 15: Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, is there anything that that hints? What do you have?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What does it say?
Speaker 6: I have all kinds of emails and texts that say he's unable to get the Yeah, that was the very first thing he said he's unable to get.
Speaker 7: See, guys, here's where I think it comes down.
Speaker 1: What if the guy says What if the guy says, yeah, I was willing to do it, but it's not available, So I'm going to fulfill the contract in another way. See, the contract is not written tight enough. I think for her to go crazy on this.
Speaker 8: Then when I would explain to the judge if that exact thing was brought up. Regular galvanized a roof panel is about forty bucks at home depot, and one that's already colored ready to go is almost double, if not.
Speaker 1: Triple, that Okay. I think you guys are putting too much on the courts to interpret. I think it comes down to are you going to fulfill the contract or not? I don't know, but maybe he'll say, look, it wasn't a contract. You haven't done the work, she hasn't gotten anything in return. Let's just return the money.
Speaker 16: Tom.
Speaker 8: If we look at that, if we look at that line item, it's square. It says eleven squares fire engine red corrugated metal roofing. I mean it says that it's fire engine red corrugated metal roofing. If he goes up and it's not, I mean, come on, but Mark, he can make it red.
Speaker 1: I mean, if I say I'm going to sell you a red what's that mark?
Speaker 13: What's that?
Speaker 11: I agree with you, Tom. I think that if she, if she goes to court with them and it's in the contract, that it's just it's fire engine red and there's no specific painting method.
Speaker 7: Or oh I break off from you guys. I'm sorry.
Speaker 8: Guys, Like if I go order a brand new red Cherry Corvette and they get me a black one in spray painted mark, that's a whole different mark.
Speaker 1: That's different.
Speaker 14: I agree with mark one hundred percent. The contract. In the contract the way read.
Speaker 8: It doesn't say pre finished, but it doesn't say it's going to be painted.
Speaker 14: It says fire red roofing material. It doesn't say we're going to put in a correguatar roof.
Speaker 1: You know, you know what I would love to get, really if we could someone who was a judge or a magistrator, just to see how their mind works. Wait, wait, I got one.
Speaker 14: Does Vanessa have any material, samples or hold on? Did he offer you samples, good examples or photos or anything else?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Henry will tell you this. Usually you pick yes. Okay, so you have a place where you pick the material? Yes, okay, what do you have? Was it presented by him? Yes?
Speaker 6: It's in Colorado Springs?
Speaker 1: No? No, I'm asking you went. Did you go to the showroom? No?
Speaker 6: No, he sent it to me and.
Speaker 1: And okay, he sent you and said pick a roof. Do you have a correspondence that says that yes. I want to see the correspondence before we even go on. Let's stop right here. I got to take a break. I want to see the correspondence where he says pick a roof, and I want to see how that goes, so you hang on real quick.
Speaker 8: I know we got a break here, but Henry, it hailed like hell in Colorado Springs.
Speaker 7: I mean, how much damage here?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 11: Absolutely, so that was actually not the most your damage too. We got a bunch of hail up there in a John's town.
Speaker 1: We're so overtime. Let me let you, Henry, it's not fair to you to do this right before a break. Let's just let you elaborate afterwards. We're going to talk about the current hail while we have them on. But let's talk about this. I want to try to get someone's opinion on this other than ours. I would like our YouTuber morons to weigh in on it. Mark d a poll on my serious.
Speaker 8: Let's get that piece from her that he sent over the sample.
Speaker 1: Let's get that you're right. You're right, because if that email says make the selection that you want, and it's on there, that that would be that would lead me to believe that it was specified. Okay, we got more coming up on the Troubleshooter Show where the real heat comes, and it's going to come this week even but fix at twenty four to seven. We'll do that thirty nine dollars deep clean, check and tune for your AC. It's very important. It's only thirty nine bucks for new customers or people who haven't had it done. Fixed myihome dot com book now, fixmihome dot com book now, So listen. I want all my callers please. I will get to you. But this is really important that we get to the bottom of this. And did she send us that clause or that email or something that said pick one of these roofs? Did she send it to us, Katchina. We're depending on you for that for finding that out. If not, I need to move on. Okay, but then let me talk. Look, I have a couple emails. Let me siphon through and I will get it to you. I will get it all right, and then Henry stand by because I want to talk about the hail damage. But wait, I want to take Jay, who's been waiting quite a while. Jay, Welcome to the show. Your mom and her dad had mineral rights, the dad left them to your mom. Your mom passed away. Is that right?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 17: May I interject something real fast blots on my mind?
Speaker 1: Absolutely?
Speaker 17: Absolutely, If someone wants to paint my roof, I want them to show me where the manufacturer of that paint in tends it to be used for a roof guarantees it's appropriate for this application, and warrants it on this application. Good luck, that guy's never going to get it done. She don't have to accept it. Vote for JEFFICA judges out because the bunch of lefty morons. And next, yes, you're correct. My grandfather bought tons of oil and gas rights he left in my mom. No one knows who has what my mom sold everything she thought she had. They're popping up left and right, checks her coming in. Yeah, my sister has to know what estate is because there's somebody else involved besides the direct family the title, and she is a year and a half into having none.
Speaker 1: I get it, I get it. Listen. Basically, what you're trying to do is you're trying to memorialize and quantify what she owns. You want to know you know, and to do that is not as hard as you might think. There is a forum, an online platform that about ninety eight percent of all producers, all of them, use about ninety nine percent of them. And if you go to that forum, you can search the last name, reset passwords, and do all kinds of that stuff. It's really important though, that you get to the right place, and it's called energy Link energy link and it's literally energylink dot com. When you go to energylink dot com, you can search around there and see just see usually it's the last name of the person that they file these royalties with. That is a really good resource. You can also call energy link and ask them to help you search. You would maybe have to show a death certificate or some kind of representation like you know what they used to call an executive of the estate, but a personal representative of the estate. But energylink dot com is one of the first ones. Another thing that you need to know is in each state, the state keeps track of people who have gas and oil royalties, and if it's a simple royalty. The reason states and counties know about this is because you have to pay property tax on that portion of the acreage where you receive royalties. Believe it or not, they break down royalty interests into property shares for the purposes of property tax. So if you have the checks, the checks are usually issued by a company and many times they they make a memo as to what wells are involved, and the wells are located in a county, and that county has a record of who's paying the tax on it. So let's first break it down. If you have checks, Tom Martine, I want to go right back to that. Jay again. Hey, Jay, we are running out of time, but I can hold you over. But here's another thing. On the checks that you get. How many checks a month are coming in.
Speaker 17: There's so random, Tom, there's no rhyme, no reason.
Speaker 1: Okay, but each check, all right, but each check no one else. Each check has a payer.
Speaker 17: And when you call them, they're like, well, we'll get back to you. We're not entirely sure. And you're like, can I get a copy of that contract?
Speaker 1: And well, actually, actually, Jay, Jay, I'm going to tell you something. Actually, they are required by all kinds of agencies to have what's called an owner relations department. That's where you call. You don't just call rendy, you say, I want to talk to owner relations. Literally, it's called owner relations. Yeah. The check hold on the check, Jay. The check also refers to a customer number. By law, every single customer has to have a number. The royalty interest must be recorded under that number, and they must give you complete information on that number. So I don't I could help you, man, I mean, all you have to do or look at the checks then go to energylink dot com and okay, well send me every single check, a copy of every single check, and I'll tell you how to get the information. I can get the information in five minutes. We're running out of I'm just I'm sorry, Jay, we're running out of time. My fault. You can hang on.
Speaker 18: Ripped new.
Speaker 2: Who you don't have, come running stas as you can. Shooter's gonna help come MANX.
Speaker 5: Is the Troubleshooter Show Now, Tom Martine, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 1: This hour brought to you by frankdarandereal estate man dot com. If you want to know what your house will sell for, he'll do a complete analysis, free of charge, with no obligation, and it's pretty damn accurate. Frank Duranderealestateman dot com three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Let's talk about an exciting auction. Also, I just want to by name tell Vanessa and then Rod has a Gocatz problem, another scumbag company that we've been on. Dale wants to talk about AutoNation. Brenda wants to talk about an apartment. We will get to all of you right now. Courtney with Buy and Build, the owner of Buy and Build dot Net. I've known Courtney for years and they have a great warehouse that sells kitchen and bath stuff. But they also have about twice a year, this incredible auction that's going on right now. And what's exciting about today is the auction closes. So during the auction you can make bids like any auction, and then as they start to close the items, you have a final chance to make a bid, and then it's held open for two minutes while someone else can match it, and it keeps going until someone gives up. Courtney Piers with a buy and Build dot Net I want to tell you first, as he's talking about this, how you can follow along. Go to roller auction dot com. That's r L L E Er roller auction dot com and then click on buy and Build and you will see the action going on now. Yesterday Courtney was a bit distressed because he said, oh my god, I'm giving some of this stuff away. I hope I get more action. So what's going on today at rollerauction dot com Buy and Build, the buy and Build section what's going on Courtney, Well.
Speaker 17: Good morning, Tom.
Speaker 9: We're a little stressed still right now because this is the two hours before the sales starts moment where I'm looking at all these prices and everything's pretty much still be given away for almost nothing. I'm looking at flooring here for fifteen cents of square foot. Oh man, that's tile, porcelain tile, a grade porcelain tile, sitting at twenty cents of square foot. There's some really amazingly good steals. You get into the kitchen cabinets, and you can still get full sets of kitchen cabinets for under one thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: What under one thousand dollars.
Speaker 9: I'm looking at a yeah, fifteen piece snow Haven kitchen cabinet set with soft closed doors, soft closed drawers, sitting right now at eight hundred dollars. So if you've only imagine the entire kitchen for that level now, I'm hoping, of course, it goes a little higher than that. That's why we're talking. But right now there are some amazing bargains to be had, and if you log on, I can guarantee you there's going to be some people leaving today with products at Penniesney Dollar Courtney.
Speaker 1: I'm seeing, I'm seeing this whole damn set of cabinets, and and they're all right there, and I think they're assembled already, right if the picture shows them assembled, are they assembled or not?
Speaker 9: So there is one, Lot number ninety nine is assembled and Lot number one hundred is the exact same kitchen. We decided to sell one unassembled and palatized so you can actually load it in the back of a pickup truck and get it home. And so a lot of pieces of people that buy from out of state and stuff, they just don't have the ability to trans assembled cabinets.
Speaker 1: So at these price lits unassembled.
Speaker 11: But at these.
Speaker 1: Prices, brother, at these prices, let me tell you something. People can put freaking beautiful cabinets in their garage. Now you know that happened with you and me. I was looking at garage cabinets at home Depot and at these other big boxes, and you showed me a line of Shaker cabinets that were beautiful I put in my garage and people said my opulent, and I said, no. They were cheaper than the gladiator stuff. They were cheaper than anything you could buy at the big box stores, and I'm looking at some lots here. There's a complete room of cabinets for five hundred dollars right now, Courtney, there is no way that all of these lots of cabinets are going to go for substantially more prices than not all of them. You got too many this time, Bro, You're gonna you're gonna be given some of this away.
Speaker 9: Yeah, there's gonna be some really good deals. I mean, if you guys, if anybody in this listening audiences in the market for any home improvement materials right now, this is absolutely one of the best opportunities you can possibly get. We have these pre hung doors, and some of those doors they're still sitting at five dollars a piece for doors that watasha, oh my god, dollars four hundred dollars. Even retail toilets sitting at you fifteen dollars.
Speaker 19: I know.
Speaker 1: I want to tell them how it works. If you go to rollerauction dot Com, hit the buy and Build banner, you go into buy and Build, and what I did was simply went down to cabinets in the search function, and it brought up cabinets and you'll see the extraordinary deals you can go down to doors as he was just talking about, and it'll show free hung doors. I'm looking at some doors here, some interior six panel, beautiful prepainted doors. I don't know if they're prepainted finished, but whatever, it's eight dollars, eight dollars. I mean, this is incredible. Okay, No, no one is here six dollars Courtney. There are so many of them. What is the reality that they're gonna be bid up a lot? I mean, there's too many of them to be bid up a lot. Somebody can go to a brand new item. In other words, you have items side by side that are pretty much the same. So once somebody gets to a bid game, yeah, so they can go next door to an item and start at five dollars. I mean, you're gonna you're gonna be giving a lot of this stuff away. So explain how it happens today and what the closing is all about. Explain what happens, you bet sure.
Speaker 9: So at one o'clock PM, the first three items of the auction, which I believe are putty knives, are gonna close. And so if you're in on the bidding and nobody has bid on that item for a while, then you're gonna win that item. Now, if somebody decides to outbid you with thirty seconds left, it goes into what's called extended bidding for two minutes, and that allows you a chance to counter bid and not just get something stolen out from under you with ten seconds left when you were really wanting that item. The other thing you can do is you can set a maximum price on what you're willing to pay for an item, and you put in your maximum bid and the computer will automatically bid for you up to that amount. It won't automatically do that unless somebody is actively bidding against you. Otherwise you are just going to sit at that lower bid until somebody bids against you. But it'll bid up to your maximum for you, so it'll save you a little bit of a headache. But absolutely right now, there are some just amazing deals on here.
Speaker 1: So when you when you when someone bis again, when someone bis against you, and it goes into that two minutes and then you then you outbid them, does it go into another two minutes?
Speaker 6: It does.
Speaker 16: It does.
Speaker 9: So an item can literally stay going until after it's closing time for up to thirty minutes. You know, even longer than that. I've seen some of the cabinets go back and forth. If you get two people that want the same cabinet set and you know they're only bidding fifty bucks at a time on a set that's worth five thousand, it takes a while, and so they'll go back and forth and back and forth, and sometimes you know, everything around it will be closed and one item will be continue. Okay, the extended bidding.
Speaker 1: So at our time, it's one o'clock, our time they start closing. Is that about it? One o'clock?
Speaker 15: That is correct?
Speaker 1: Yep, okay, And that's buy buy and build. By the way, if you ever want to look at buy and build is buy and build dot net. But today it's all about the auction rollerauction dot Com. Rollerauction dot Com. You just got to go see it to believe it. Okay, when you get to.
Speaker 9: Roller auction dot com website too. So if you get to our webitay, it'll take you to the auction as well. And like I said, if you go to the gift item portion of this too. Even if you're not into building materials, you should still check out this auction. There's paddle boards, there's wristwatches, there's toys, there's all sorts of barbecue.
Speaker 1: Grill, incredible stuff, incredible.
Speaker 16: Act yeah, and mines.
Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 9: We recommend just checking it out just for fun and looking at some stuff. You might find some great gift items and you might find some useful stuffer around the home.
Speaker 1: Okay, if we get a chance during the one o'clock hour, what I want to do is call you back and talk about some of the ridiculous deals where you lost your shirt on. I'm not reveling in that, but I'm sorry, Courtney. I'm not betting against you here, but man that you're the one who's doing it. So it's up for grabs.
Speaker 9: Yeah, we can get really is the way it works. And some people are going to leave with literally a two hundred dollars door for five bucks, and that's what keeps them coming back to the auctions. But hopefully I'll make some money on some of this other stuff. Yeah yeah, even out.
Speaker 1: All right, so thank you very much. That's Courtney Pierce. So it's rollerauction dot Com and then you click on the buy and build banner. All right, let's uh, we've been I want to go really quickly to Rod and then we'll go back to Vanessa or or yeah, a Rod, you must have heard about this, or we've had complaints out that knows about Gocats, which is a speed shop. It's a custom shop, and a lot of what he talks about are custom heads and stuff for engines, and we have had over look at the guy, in my opinion, is bad news. Okay, if you go to his website, he's so stupid that he puts me on the front page of his website talking about how vile I am, which only highlights when you click on me, it only highlights the sleeze Brigade that he's a member of. My sleeveze brigade, by the way, is completely opposite of REFERRALSS people to avoid. And this guy's on the sleeves brigade for years. He's been ripping people off, in my opinion, and he's been sued bad reviews. I don't know how the guy stays in business. Tell us your story, Rod, tell us your story.
Speaker 13: Yeah, so.
Speaker 19: He had to add on Facebook, you know when he said he polished it heads and intakes and stuff and it looked really good. So I thought, so I already had all the machine work done on my engine. I took it to a guy in Stirling, an American machine and he boarded it, put the cam in, and then the valves and everything, any of pistons on the raw or connecting rods and stuff, and then, uh, so I took it up to Eric and I wanted him to swap out the cam for a three quarter racing cam so i'd have a little more pump. And then I wanted a polished set of heads an intake twelve. So I paid him twenty five hundred dollars up front, and I had paid the machine shop a little twenty six hundred bucks to do all the machine work, so he didn't have to have any machine work done. All he had to do was swap out cam, put the pistons in it, put a set of heads and intake on it, and that was it. Well, and then I got a searching and then I seen, you know, he didn't have good reviews.
Speaker 1: So then I wait a minute, wait a minute, he has he has very few good reviews. My god, most you must have seen all the bad reviews.
Speaker 19: Yeah, wow, Now, well that was after I took the engine to him. You know, I've seen the bad reviews.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, then what I So I called.
Speaker 19: Him and told him I wanted my engine because I had to overhaul my semi engine, which is you know, ad like thirty grand to do a semi engine. So I told him I I just want to pick up my engine. He said, okay, So he gave me to Saturday or Sunday that week to pick it. That well, I went to pick it up and then he had everything covered up with papers and he couldn't see it.
Speaker 15: So I got it home.
Speaker 4: I pulled all the paper off.
Speaker 9: Well it wasn't my block.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 19: Well I took it up to it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 19: So I took it to this guy in Imperial, Nebraska and had.
Speaker 9: Him look at it, and so it had.
Speaker 19: It had been pin weld it in between a set of vowelves. And that guy in Imperial, Bob was his name, and he said, h he said, I think it's a boat anchor. He said, he said, I think it'll it will leak water when it gets hot. So then he turned it over a while. A day later or two days later, he turned it over and pulled a pan off, and then he called me. He said, hey, did your crank have a freaking notch out of it, And I said no, I said, my crank was perfect.
Speaker 9: It would you know?
Speaker 19: It was a four inch mercury crank.
Speaker 9: It had been polished.
Speaker 19: You know, there wasn't any defects with it.
Speaker 4: And when I the one he gave me.
Speaker 19: Didn't have a big notch out one of the journals.
Speaker 1: So, okay, here's what I want to ask you. I want to ask you a few questions. Broll. This is important. This is important. When you took it to him to have the work done and then changed your mind, did you say to him, don't do anything, I just want my engine back. Were you willing tod he give up the twenty five hundred? What was what was said when you asked for your engine back?
Speaker 19: He said he would put one together, but he didn't say it would be my engine. He said he put one together, And he did put one together, but then he kept my He kept my gap ket kit because I had a rebuilt kit.
Speaker 12: He kept that.
Speaker 1: He kept them. Well.
Speaker 15: He put an engine together and didn't put.
Speaker 4: An oil pump in.
Speaker 19: He kept the oil bump.
Speaker 1: So it was your impression you were going to but it was your impression you were going to get back the completed job. That was your impression, right, but when you picked it up, it wasn't your head.
Speaker 19: No, it wasn't my block.
Speaker 1: Oh it wasn't your block? Oh my god? Is he did he say it was your block? What is he saying about this?
Speaker 19: Well, he's well why he said, wow, So he has this spill. He tells everybody when you take an engine to it. He said, he'll build an engine born one hundred and twenty five over and he'll use a different block. And I said no, I said, I want my block back because I've had it for thirty years. I bought it before a right my dad, thirty thirty years ago. We had a two kitch five comments but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, no, okay, so but but but did did Eric Brown? Did he try to tell you it was your block or not? No?
Speaker 9: He did say it was my block or not?
Speaker 19: He said it was a block?
Speaker 1: Okay, okay?
Speaker 19: And what I got?
Speaker 1: So where does the stand? Where does the stand? Right now?
Speaker 19: So well, I filed the lawsuit again stupid oh man? Uh So I followed the lawsuit and the judge, well, Eric never showed up. He only surprised.
Speaker 1: Surprise surprise, right, surprise, surprise, that's right.
Speaker 19: Yeah, he only filed one paperwork back and he actually in that paperwork said who he sold my block to? It was one of his buddies or well the guy claims he's on.
Speaker 9: His buddy, but he bought it from Eric.
Speaker 1: Well, whether it's your block or not, Rob, whether it's your block or not, I need to ask this. Is it done properly?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 19: No, no, now, because the guy in Imperial, Bob, he's eighty five years old. He's built way more flatheads than Eric ever will.
Speaker 4: And he said it was a boat.
Speaker 19: Anchor, is what he said.
Speaker 8: So if you want to get a boat anchor, you should go to Eric, according to Bob.
Speaker 10: Yeah, wow, yeah, so.
Speaker 19: And Bob said, Bob said he wouldn't even you know, he said it wasn't worth anything, you know. And I believe Bob because he Bob building me an engine. Now, but Bob's gonna put it on a dinal run it, check everything before.
Speaker 16: And he has not asked me.
Speaker 20: For a dime up front.
Speaker 1: Well, we've had multiple calls.
Speaker 8: You know, at least at least you didn't pay Eric seventy five hundred seven plus years ago. And he's done absolutely nothing but generate excuses for seven years.
Speaker 1: At least you're not in that boat, you know, do you have any Okay, what is your total loss if you take the twenty five hundred you paid plus the value of the block you brought in, what are your total losses?
Speaker 19: Well, so when we went to the court, so that there's a some loss. So actually with a I have like eight thousand dollars a lawyer fees, so actually got done with a judge over forty thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: Did you actually did you actually get a judgment? Yeah, that's what I was going to ask.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I got a judgment.
Speaker 13: Jeez at this guy.
Speaker 8: I swear to god, I cannot believe. I can't believe how much money he owes people. If everything we're hearing is true, I mean, this guy should be in prison in my opinion.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it's amazing to me.
Speaker 19: So Wat's up camberis in Kansas City doing radiation, and so I get this call from a guy on messenger or yeah, he called me on messer and he said, hey, my my father in law at taking three blocks and a set of heads to Eric, eating thirteen five hundred up front. And now Eric doesn't want to talk to you.
Speaker 8: We just we need some better pictures of this clown, we really do. We got to warn more people this guy is getting real Mark.
Speaker 1: Did you see if you go to Sleasbrigade dot com and just click the category miserable Mechanics. Yeah, I see, you'll see it's the best I could get online. Right now.
Speaker 8: I know, we gotta find we got to find a good picture at him. Maybe we can put posters up at trade shows. There's different things we can do to make sure he doesn't rip off anybody else. This group of people were talking about that are into these engines, it's a pretty small group, wouldn't you say?
Speaker 9: Call her.
Speaker 5: Y'all?
Speaker 19: Wow, there's it's good to be more people were doing planets because they have their own sound. You know, they cost more to rebuild in a FOURD or Chevy.
Speaker 1: But so when did all this happen? When was when was this judgment? Granted?
Speaker 19: It was granted, Like, let's see, I got out of the radiation on October eighteenth, so it was it was the last year, last fall, in between October and December.
Speaker 1: Okay, let me ask you something. What are you talking about? What is this radiation you're talking about?
Speaker 19: Oh, I had radiation for prid Day. Answer, how are you doing?
Speaker 4: Kansas City?
Speaker 9: For too much?
Speaker 1: How are you doing? You know?
Speaker 19: My ps My PSA is down to zero point zero two, which is where they wanted. And then I got some ropathy other than I don't have any size bics.
Speaker 1: So hey man, that's good news. Rod, that's good news. Brother. I'm a cancer survivor right now. I hope it stays that way. But good luck to you, bro.
Speaker 19: Yeah, I went to Kansas City because they the guys I did went with, were spatialized in plastate cancer.
Speaker 1: So okay, I'll keep you in my prayers. What's going on on Dimitrian? Hey? Rod? Have you tried to collect on this judgment? And if so, what happened?
Speaker 19: I haven't tried collecting yet. Well, I really don't want to call him. Well I uh so the there's a guy from California.
Speaker 9: He talked to you before, Joe.
Speaker 8: The Vox I think.
Speaker 19: So anyway, Joe, uh he actually found my engine locked that Eric had sold to this other guy. Wow, and so we got so we got on a three way deal on Instagram and he he was he was going to sell the block for he was well he paid eighty five hundred and he wanted six thousand.
Speaker 1: Or something for it.
Speaker 19: So we got on a group chat and I said, hey, Bud, you better not sell that freaking motor. So you talk to my lawyer. So Eric gave us a number for this guy.
Speaker 1: Do you have a number? Weight you have a number for a lawyer?
Speaker 17: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I have a lawyer.
Speaker 1: What, by the way, what number? What number do you have for Eric Brown? We were trying to get a working number. What number do you have for him?
Speaker 17: Oh?
Speaker 16: Let me let me go through here and let me find you.
Speaker 1: I mean real quick, if you can get us that number, let's I got to take this break. I want to come back and get that number. Kachina. We don't have to keep Rod on right now, but I'm going to add him to the list, get his contact information. We have more coming up on the Troubleshooter show. K and H Home Solutions now has K and H Painting Prose. You can use him for window siding, doors, and more, including painting khwindows dot com. Tom Martino here three h three seven one three talk listen, man, I tell you we got a lot to go through. Be patient, We'll get to you. I want to go to Dale right now as a problem with the AutoNation Dale. What's going on with you, sir? What's happening?
Speaker 20: Hi, JOm, thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 1: Thank you for your patience. What's going on? And going on?
Speaker 20: Behalf of my daughter. She had to buy another car because hers was stolen at the end of April in Laquid at our house and they found it two weeks later in an apartment building in Aurora. The car had to be total because of the drugs. Anyway, she needed to buy another car, so she went down to she found when she liked online, which is down at AutoNation Sugaru on East Rapaho Road.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what did she buy?
Speaker 20: She bought a twenty fifteen twenty seventeen cheap Grand Cherokee.
Speaker 1: Limited cheap Grand Cherokee. Okay, so tell me about the tran what went wrong?
Speaker 13: Okay?
Speaker 1: She drove the car, she liked it.
Speaker 20: She signed all the paperwork, including the ninety days warranty and including a five year warranty.
Speaker 10: We brought it home.
Speaker 20: We took a small drive up in the mountains, and then after about forty six miles, the engine light came on.
Speaker 4: And it stayed home and we brought it home.
Speaker 20: Then we're going to take the store a little bit later. But when she went to start it, the engine starts smoking like mad and making all kinds of noises. So we called a donation dealership, told.
Speaker 16: Him what was wrong.
Speaker 20: They said, we'll bring it down tomorrow.
Speaker 9: We'll take a look at it.
Speaker 17: Well, we tried to do that the next.
Speaker 20: Morning, but it was still smoking, and we didn't take it was right to drive it because the engine sounded like it was going to blow up. So they took and had a totub driver come to her house and towed.
Speaker 19: It to their.
Speaker 20: Dealership.
Speaker 1: Got it okay.
Speaker 16: That was roughly two months ago.
Speaker 4: To this day, she does not have a car.
Speaker 17: She's required to pay.
Speaker 20: Close to twenty thousand dollars for everything, but she doesn't have the car and she hasn't had the car.
Speaker 1: What do they say about it, Dale, What do they say about it?
Speaker 20: They said that the engine is shot.
Speaker 1: That's what we were told. Okay. And is the warranty going to cover it? I don't know anything about the war warranty. Is it going to cover it?
Speaker 19: No?
Speaker 20: Well, none of them warrant.
Speaker 8: Why is the warranty denying it? Because we're talking two different warranties. The ninety day warranty that I guess the dealer gave her when you buy a car there then the extended warranty.
Speaker 20: Yes, the ninety day they're refusing to honor it.
Speaker 7: Why what are they saying though? What is their reason for the denial?
Speaker 1: Because?
Speaker 19: Why?
Speaker 20: Because because they said the car was overheated?
Speaker 1: Okay? May I talk? May I talk to your daughter directly right now? Please?
Speaker 4: Yeah, go out here.
Speaker 1: What's your first name? Hi?
Speaker 15: I am Don Don?
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, So down when you were driving the car, did you get an overheat light at all? No?
Speaker 18: I I actually have a picture of it with the engine light on and it was not overheating at all.
Speaker 1: Okay, And you pulled over immediately after the engine light came on.
Speaker 20: Yeah?
Speaker 18: Yeah, Well I had to come back home.
Speaker 1: And how many miles? How many miles did you drive with the engine light on?
Speaker 15: Yeah?
Speaker 18: I'm not sure exactly.
Speaker 21: I'm less probably less than fifty, I know that.
Speaker 1: Okay. How many miles on this Grand Cherokee Unlimited one hundred and eight one eight? Did you have it checked out at all by anyone before you bought it? No?
Speaker 15: And that was my mistake.
Speaker 1: But you thought, well, what the heck, I got to warranties. So that's probably one of the reasons you didn't care that much. So are they saying basically you neglected it by letting it overheat?
Speaker 18: All they said is I'm trying to look up the what or they gave me. They they just said it was overheated. They didn't say that it was my fault or anything else. They just said it was overheated, and that's why they weren't covering it.
Speaker 1: Okay, So what have you done since that denial? What have you done?
Speaker 18: I've contacted a couple of lawyers.
Speaker 15: We've gone down.
Speaker 18: They said that they would traded trade the vehicle and but I would be a negative equity.
Speaker 1: How much negative? How much? How much did you pay for this car.
Speaker 18: Without the warranty? It was sixteen thousand, but with a warranty.
Speaker 15: With the warranty, it's over twenty.
Speaker 1: Okay. So what did the attorneys say when you talk to really? I mean, because here's let me just give you the bad news, all of the bad news up front. When you bought that used truck, it was as is okay? Is and what we the only thing we have to go by right now is the warranty or if they somehow covered up the problem. It seems to me amazing that you only put forty six miles on it and it seized. Hold on, I'll come right back to you. I'm Tom Martine. You know I want to go back to Dawn real quick. Dawn, listen, you're gonna no matter what, you need to get your car back, and you need to get it to a professional to give you an independent evaluation. Then we need to compare the car to whatever. I mean. Maybe it wasn't overheating, or maybe it overheated as a result of another problem. But we're flying blind here. You need evidence to fight them. They're gonna look for any excuse. Go ahead.
Speaker 18: I did have a diagnostic check on it and it said it was the third cylinder was miss firing, which they claim they fixed when they did the spark plugs changed. Apparently it wasn't fixed.
Speaker 1: Who told you that? Did you take your car? So you have your car now?
Speaker 12: No, they have it.
Speaker 18: They've had it since April thirtieth.
Speaker 1: So when did you have it diagnostically checked?
Speaker 21: The monday?
Speaker 16: That monday?
Speaker 1: Well, how did how did you how did you have the Oh? Oh oh before this all happened.
Speaker 21: Yes, yes, yes, okay.
Speaker 18: So when the second light went on, I went to I took it to the Jeep dealership on Monday and they did a diagnostic check for me, and that's he told me it was the third cylinder was misfiring, But it wasn't the spark plugs because he could see that the spark plugs had all been changed.
Speaker 1: Okay, so so did AutoNation themselves? Did AutoNation themselves tell you that the check engine light was due to misfiring?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 18: Okay, the Jeep dealership was another au donation.
Speaker 1: Okay, got it. Okay, here's what we need to do before we jump to conclusions. It's very possible that this misfiring is what caused it to overheat and die, and that would be covered by the warranty. But if it was overheating, and the question is why did it overheat, my what I would try to prove is that whatever condition caused it to overheat, that is the condition that the warranty should cover. What have you been doing? What have they been doing all this time that you've left your car there? Have they been bugging you at all to come get it?
Speaker 5: Nope.
Speaker 18: They have not asked me to come get it all that. It's the only thing they've been asked me to do is to come in and look at more cars.
Speaker 1: Now, one thing I want to tell you. You're not going to like to hear this, but I don't know how old you are, but it's not uncommon for a bad car purchase to mean a bankruptcy for people. I'm serious. I just want to tell you the worst case scenario first, and then we'll work on a better scenario. The worst case scenario you turn it back to them and say screw it, and then you declare a bankruptcy and start over. That's the worst case. The best case scenario, I need you to get it to somebody we know and trust and have them analyze it and try to prove that the overheating came second and another problem was the actual cause that caused it to fail. Then we can try to get the warranty to fix it. Kaschina, you know, I asked the guy you know find out bring your car to an independent mechanic, and apparently he is saying it's missing, Kaschina. He said it's missing. They don't know where it is. No one knows where it is. Well, that's ridiculous, Okay, yes, well that's impossible. I'll guarantee you that if we call over there, they will know where it is. Okay. You know, people throw their hands up in the air and expect us to do magic. They're going to have to do a little work on their own, but we will help. I suspect the failure of that jeep was before the overheating. There was another problem and AutoNation. Like most dealers are trying to get out of covering it. It sucks when it happens. I'm Tom Martine. Brenda wants to talk about an issue with an apartment. David wants to talk about Skyline Mitsubishi, and we'll talk about your countertops. We'll get to Mitch Floria, the art of granted Dot coming up on The Troubleshooter Show. Ripped up.
Speaker 9: News.
Speaker 1: Didn't need advice, so you don't have.
Speaker 15: Come running as as.
Speaker 2: The canow Shooter's gonna help come.
Speaker 5: Man Dix is the Troubleshooter Show. No Tom Martino, Hey.
Speaker 1: Tom Martino here, Welcome to the show. Three oh three seven one three talk seven one three A two five five. I got a lot of active problems going on here today. One thing that really breaks my heart when people buy cars and literally it leads to bankruptcy. Young people buy a car as is, they buy an extended warranty thinking it will cover the problems. The car seizes, the engine's bad, maybe fifty one hundred miles after you buy it, and then you go to the dealer and the dealer says, oh, this isn't covered because most of the time these extended warranties have exclusions that get them out of paying anything. That's why these extended warranties, in my opinion, aren't worth crap. So now the person has a car, they can't drive, they have to make their payments, and they have to get to work, they have to get another car. They're really and truly literally cars have been the responsible for early bankruptcies in young people's lives. So please don't buy a used car without having it thoroughly checked out, and I mean thoroughly checked out. You have to have it checked out from top to bottom. Sheridan Autotech is one of the places that does it, but get it checked out from an expert. So I'm not going back to Essa right now. She needs to we need to do some battle. AutoNation is saying it's not covering in a warranty. It overheated, and now they say they can't find the car. They can't find it, they don't know where it is. So all I'm saying is this, If one recurring problem happens on this show over and over and over, it is buying a used car as is and expecting the dealer to fix it, expecting it to be fixed, and it's not, and therefore now you have you literally have nothing to drive. Okay, Now, those guys on YouTube are probably making fun of my new mic cover because it's covering up literally my entire face. It's as big as a basketball. But I'm going to try it to see rather than cater to YouTube, I'm going to see what it sounds like. So Brenda has an issue with an apartment. Brenda, I thank you for your patients. What's going on with you? Brenda? What's happening with your apartment?
Speaker 15: Well, I moved in the Renewal Village apartment I.
Speaker 1: What's the name of the what's the name of the village?
Speaker 15: Renewal Village located at two hundred West Warner Place, Okay.
Speaker 1: And is that an Aurora?
Speaker 16: No Bloatville?
Speaker 1: Where is that globvial lo Globville? Gotcha? Okay, renewal village and go? And what's going on?
Speaker 15: Well number one? HOWD has passed this building? Well, first of all, I did a little investigation myself. They got thirty eight million dollars to change this hotel to studio apartments. Okay, studio apartments. I haven't worked in housing since nineteen you tube, basically most of the housing quality standards are still the same.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, when when did you move into this Brenda?
Speaker 15: When January the twenty second, twenty twenty five?
Speaker 1: Okay? And and are you complaining about the conditions?
Speaker 15: Yes, it makes me sick daily, my nose bleed and everything.
Speaker 17: I do believe is this subsidized?
Speaker 1: Is this subsidized housing?
Speaker 19: Yes?
Speaker 15: Hood always been passing them since nineteen seventy two, which I'm complaining about Hood to they do the same thing because this but this place where I am should never pass inspection.
Speaker 1: Okay, but it did. Yes, Okay, So now you have and what do you think is causing all these health problems with you?
Speaker 15: Well, I do believe. I know it's mold and rush because I have some in my room?
Speaker 1: Uh, tell me what's going on? What do you what do you think is going on? You've lived there since January? What kind of health problems are you saying? There's mold?
Speaker 19: What?
Speaker 1: What is the problem?
Speaker 15: Well, I am a I am physically disabled. I have multiples uh disabilities, walking, breathing, heart problems, love problem, Brenda.
Speaker 1: Did you have those problems before you moved in?
Speaker 20: Yes?
Speaker 15: That's why I asked, what a DA unit? Yes, I've been having those problems before I moved in.
Speaker 1: Okay, And did this place make those problems worse? Yes?
Speaker 15: How well, first of all, this is not an ADA unit?
Speaker 1: Is what is it? What do you mean a D What do you mean Americans with Disability Unit? Yes? Okay? What would make it an a DA? You unit? Tell me what is not there?
Speaker 13: Okay?
Speaker 15: The bathroom?
Speaker 1: What about? The tub is about.
Speaker 15: About more than twelve about eighteen inches high. It's hard for me to get in the tub. They don't have rails. No emergency but no emergency stream.
Speaker 1: But I'm all right, listen, I listen. Why did you move in? Didn't you go look at it first? No?
Speaker 15: I did not, And that's why I told them the least is not valid because I signed them.
Speaker 1: Well, actually, it is valid if you signed it as valid. Why do you say it's not valid.
Speaker 15: Because you're supposed to have a move in report and an investigation. Put your report inspection, I'm sorry, report before you sign a lease.
Speaker 1: All right, Brenda, that's not true. Brenda, that's not true. So I can't let you go on believing things that aren't true, because if you want to get real help, I got to tell you the real truth. If you signed the lease and you moved in, you're stuck in that lease unless we can show that it is dangerous to your health and you need to move out. But where would you move if you moved out? In other words, where were you living before this?
Speaker 15: From place to place?
Speaker 1: Okay? And have you always had? Have you always had subsidized housing?
Speaker 15: Since I've been in Denver? No, I moved here in ninety six.
Speaker 16: Were a home for When did you move?
Speaker 1: When did you start subsidized housing?
Speaker 15: Well, and the City of Denver Housing Authority, they gave me some fraudulent vouchers, and I do when did.
Speaker 1: You start having the rent paid by someone else? When did you start on subsidized housing?
Speaker 15: Just tell me that part in January the second, nineteen ninety seven. And you never said so.
Speaker 1: You've been on subsidized housing since nineteen ninety seven. Yes, okay, And this is the first time that you've had a problem with an apartment.
Speaker 19: No, it is it?
Speaker 1: Okay, you know, Brenda, what do you want right now? Let me how about we start there. What do you want? What can we do to help you?
Speaker 15: Tell a safe place to live? My doctor is affiliated with the coalition at Scout Street Clinic. The her letter dated February twelve.
Speaker 1: Okay eleven, Okay, you want a safe place to live? Tell me what that means. I really, I really need to know what what do you mean a safe place to live? Like one that is what? Tell me what's and do they have a safe place for you to live? Maybe they don't have one that'll meet your standards, so you might have and like find a private one somewhere that's not subsidized. I don't Brenda, I don't want to give you a hard time, but we need to talk in reality. And here's the reality. Okay, you're living in a place that's paid for by someone else. You've been living in subsidized housing since ninety seven and you're telling me that it's making you sick and you need something that's healthy. What does a healthy place look like to you? Are there any of them around that you could ask to move into? Have you looked at any.
Speaker 15: Well, this is the second time I've lived in apartment, my apartment living.
Speaker 1: What do you normally live? What do you normally like? Your house a house? And who is when? When was the last time you lived in a house?
Speaker 15: October of twoy eighteen?
Speaker 1: Okay. And when you lived in a house back then, how was the rent paid?
Speaker 15: The rent was paid by me in government assistance.
Speaker 1: Okay. And were you working at the time or were you on disability?
Speaker 15: I'm on disability.
Speaker 1: Okay. So in twenty ten, when you stopped living in a single family house, why what happened at that time where they moved you into an apartment?
Speaker 15: They did not move me into an apartment in two thousand and ten. I've been living with relatives.
Speaker 1: Okay, yes, gotcha? Gotcha? So then you so you moved out of subsidized housing for a while, and then you moved back and when you moved back in, that's when you moved into an apartment. Yes, okay, So right now, have you asked the housing authority or who's ever in charge if they have any other units available.
Speaker 15: Oh, well, they shad they do, but they haven't offered.
Speaker 1: Me one yet. Okay, And you've been in here since January?
Speaker 16: And uh?
Speaker 1: And and when did you When did you start realizing you had a problem? Uh?
Speaker 15: Within thirty minutes after I signed the contract.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 15: The and the case manager went to inspect apartment. And I sat on the bed the what frame broke?
Speaker 21: And I was injured?
Speaker 1: Okay, Hold hold on a second, Hold on a second. We'll come right back to you. I'm Tom Martino three oh three seven one three eight two five five. The Art of brand It is with us in the house, The artibrandit dot com And Mitch gives prices on the phone. Mitch, I got a text and wants to know can you Can you give a price on the phone if it's more than just a countertop and maybe more involved? In other words, what are your limitations to giving prices on the phone, Because I think that's one of the coolest things you do. You know, somebody calls up for a granite or quartz or quartzite or marble or whatever, they call for a countertop. How do you do that pricing on the phone? And when is it difficult to do that? Mitch Floria the Artigranite dot com.
Speaker 3: Mitch, if they're only far from the showroom, we can swing by and check it out at their house. But otherwise, yeah, it gets a little tricky. Sometimes if the project is big enough, that may require an additional slab, and so then prices. Prices can change quickly because now we need to get so much more material.
Speaker 1: That's if they choose the slabs from the local suppliers.
Speaker 3: But then if they visit our showroom and find slabs in our yard, that that's not a problem. We'll cut into that second slab and you know that will cover their layout. But then, yeah, with pricing, if they share a basic layout, the rough sketch and pictures, that's really what it takes.
Speaker 1: We can Okay, So here's what I want to ask. Does a picture sometimes a pick on the cell phone? Can that help you price it out if it's different angles and stuff? Do you ever ask for a pick that helps a lot? Pictures help out.
Speaker 3: Yes, So besides the rough measurement that that we would like to get from them, you know, picture we can see you know what type of countertops they have, if they if they have any backsplushes, if they want to replace the backsplashes where the sink is located.
Speaker 1: Oka, cooked up? So yes, the picture is great. Yes, okay, the art ofgranted dot com. Mitch Fluri. I'll go back to some text in a minute.
Speaker 6: Here.
Speaker 1: I want to go back to Brenda. Brenda. Listen, here's the situation. We don't have a perfect system obviously for those with disabilities for helping them with apartments. We often get complaints from people who are living in subsidized housing for quality. Okay, this is not an uncommon complaint. Do you think that the place you are living in can be fixed or do you think you need to move to a new place.
Speaker 15: I think you could be fixed. The health department and already gave them thirty days.
Speaker 1: To make the repairs to my So you had you had the health department in it actually come to your place? Yes, I did, Okay? And what did the health department recommend?
Speaker 15: Number One, they had no screens to the window, which it has to have screens.
Speaker 1: Okay. What else?
Speaker 15: The housing?
Speaker 1: Okay, the.
Speaker 15: The bathroom, I don't know what all I know he gave them thirty days.
Speaker 1: I'll ask and what's going to happen? What's going to happen if they don't do it in thirty days? What happens?
Speaker 15: I don't know what they'll do because n no. But I do know that they're the manager. Come to my room. If not in the studio apartment, it's a room. But she did say that they have audited the screens, and I told them they is or the screen those were three months ago.
Speaker 1: Okay, do you think we should give them more time? What do you want us to do today? Do you want us to call them for you?
Speaker 15: No, they discussed the bat because there's not an a DA unit. I was supposed to be in an ADA unit.
Speaker 1: All right, Hey, Deputy doc, what do you say we call over to them and see if they can get her in an ADA unit. That's really what it boils down to. I mean, you know, the woman wants an a DA unit. Again, here's the thing. We don't have a perfect system. As I said, okay, and the complaints we're getting with people on subsidies is that the housing is substandard. Okay, that's bottom line. Hers is one of accessibility. I don't think it's unreasonable. So we're gonna have Deputy Doc. You are there, right, Doc or not? Did he step out? Yeah? We can have Dmitri call over there, but yes, we can. I thought Doc had a contact over there, but we It's just really a quick phone call to see if they have any ADA units available. She just wants a tub, shoes able to get in and out of.
Speaker 14: Go ahead, Tom, I've been during this conversation, I've been reading the website from the City of Denver describes what Renewal Village is.
Speaker 10: What is it.
Speaker 14: It's two hundred and fifteen studio apartments and it's designed for intensive supportive services that'll be provided for chronic health conditions. Mental health is wow, trauma.
Speaker 1: And intensive supportive.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And they actually have case managers assigned to all the residents. Okay, cool.
Speaker 14: So so my recommendation is that Brenda discusses this with her case manager, and if not, then of course we could discuss it right.
Speaker 1: Or at least call the case manager. Brenda, did you did ask her if she knows she has a case manager? I mean, look, I know, go ahead, No, no, go ahead.
Speaker 15: The first case manager was Ethan air R.
Speaker 1: You don't need to give me names and spellings. That doesn't matter. You do have a case manager, yes or no?
Speaker 15: I do, and I've been recording this since January the twenty second, twenty five thirty minutes I moved in there.
Speaker 1: So do you think that your case manager is kind of irresponsible?
Speaker 15: Well he's no longer here.
Speaker 16: I have a new case manager.
Speaker 1: How's the new case manager?
Speaker 15: I gave him ten days about a month ago to a request for a different ADA unit. I showed them my doctor's letter that was dated fibrary.
Speaker 1: You know, that's what it boils down to. Okay, Okay, hold on, that's really what it boils down to. That's really what it boils down to, Dimitri, she just wants an ADA unit. I mean, look, there are a lot of people. I'm getting the texts I always do. She should be happy she has. I wish I had rent subsidies. I wish I could be supported since twenty ten. You know, like, you know what is wrong with these people? I get all those texts. Okay, I'm gonna put that right out there. We get those texts all the time. Now. To some extent, I do believe people who are given and granted government subsidies and government help should be grateful. However, it's she's not asking for something impossible. She's asking for accessibility to her tub. I mean, that's one of the main units. And so let's just ask if they have an ADA unit available. Now, Deputy Bow has a comment on this issue, Go ahead, Bow.
Speaker 21: Wenda she can't get things worked out. I've got the names of two really good apartment.
Speaker 13: Buildings, fairly new.
Speaker 21: That have ADA accessible standards, bathrooms and their government subsidized. And I could give her the names that are on South Settle. I've been to both of them and they're fairly new units.
Speaker 16: I think she had to just.
Speaker 1: Move, you know, Deputy Bow, do you know? I don't know, and I'm asking you do you know the process for transferring from one apartment to another when you have a subsidy. Is it as easy as saying I want to move?
Speaker 21: She has to get permission from Session eight Housing and she just needs to call and say I'm not happy here, whether the apartment's to poor Ball or she just it's not ADA compliant, and then they will approve the if it's valid, and they will approve the trans the vouch or the transfer and she can use it.
Speaker 10: It means okay, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Hold on a second, Hey Kachina, if you could, could you let's give this to Deputy Boat. Do you just make a quick call to see if she can either get a unit there that's compliant or maybe move to another one. I'm Tom Martino. We have more coming up. Hey Tom Martino here at three h three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five. Well, let's talk to David with Skyline Mitsubishi. David, what's going on, sir?
Speaker 10: How are you? I'm hoping you can help me after what you said about the last person with a car problem. I bought a used vehicle at Skyline Mitsubishi dealan, Doug.
Speaker 1: What did you buy?
Speaker 10: Twenty thirteen? Did dram fifteen?
Speaker 13: Okay?
Speaker 1: And what's going on with that? How much?
Speaker 10: Thirteen thirteen thousand? Cash?
Speaker 1: Got it?
Speaker 10: When I live way out in Hertzel. I don't know if you know where Heartzell is, but I live in Hartzell.
Speaker 1: I actually don't know where it is.
Speaker 10: It's the geographical center of Colorado, about really twenty miles southeast of Airplay, Okay, middle of nowhere. It's the high Plains. I live office, So what's going on? I bought the vehicle on a Thursday. I drove it home. It's a two and a half hour ride. I got home, I parked the vehicle. I didn't drive it again until Sunday morning. When I did the check engine light came on. When I had the code checked.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 10: The coolint not getting up the proper temperature.
Speaker 1: So why didn't you let me ask you something? David? I asked this a million times and I and I really need to ask this. Why didn't you have this car checked out before you bought it by an independent mechanning.
Speaker 10: Let's see for starters two and a half hours away. I have no vehicle because mine was totaled out in action.
Speaker 1: David, David, how did you How did you get to the dealership?
Speaker 10: My brother drove two and a half hours to pick me up to bring me down there.
Speaker 1: You know, you keep talking about two and a half hours like it's an excuse. And by the way, I'm not angry or anything, but I have to tell you it's not an excuse.
Speaker 9: Barrow.
Speaker 1: You're you're buying a thirteen thousand dollars vehicle, and it should occur. How many miles were on this.
Speaker 10: One hundred and sixty.
Speaker 1: Oh, come on, man, you had to have thought with one hundred and sixty thousand miles. Okay, so let's just skip past that. So what's wrong with the car. Let's just get right to it. What's wrong with it?
Speaker 10: They replaced the thermost debt, They replaced the sensors, gave me the vehicle back. Two days later, check engine light came on, sam exact code, same exact issue. I brought it back to him. They said that it wasn't a thermostat or the sensors, that it was an engine issue that they knew was going on. By the extended warranty, it will cover the engine, they said. When the check engine light comes back on, let them know. Bring it down to them. They'll get a new engine put into it. Check engine light came back on. The vehicle wouldn't even start. When I had somebody come and tow the vehicle. They brought it down to Skyline. I talked to the manager in the service department. He told me that the engine had failed, that it was shot needed to be replaced. When I spoke to them as to the when I spoke to them about the warranty, they said the warranty doesn't take effect for thirty days when I was told different than that I was told.
Speaker 1: Okay, but hold on, David, you were told did it say what did it say in the warranty that you bought? You said you were told, But what did it say in the warranty? Did it say that it took effect immediately? Or did it hide that from you? Was it possible if you read the warranty or the contract, you would have seen where it takes effect in thirty days. I'm just curious because they told you to buy it the yep, they.
Speaker 10: Told me to buy it. They told me that it would take effect immediately when I went over.
Speaker 1: No, I'm asking you. Does the contract say when it takes effect? No? Okay, get me a copy of that contract. If it doesn't say when it takes effect, then it takes effect immediately. Let's just move on. Look at there's no sense talking to people who have buried themselves. I want to help, I swear to God, David, I want to help, but you want to know who I'm helping. Really, I'm helping the thousands of people listening to try to not make the same mistake. But I pledge you this, David. If that contract does not talk about taking effect. If it doesn't talk about it, then we're gonna fight with Skyline for you. Okay, So please Kashina tell him there's hope. He says he has an extended warranty and it doesn't say anything at all about taking effect in thirty days. Deputy D what do you think about that? Do you think that's a miracle. What do you think do you think it'll have anything in there about taking effect or not?
Speaker 14: You know, I've read a whole bunch of these now, and some have that clause, some don't, and one that I encountered actually has a blackout period for I think it was a month or maybe even two months.
Speaker 1: So you're saying that you have seen actual extended warranties that don't talk about the effective date.
Speaker 14: Yeah, they're effective on the date they're purchased.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, so that's the effective date.
Speaker 14: Yeah, that's the effective date, right, And so I don't think there's out period.
Speaker 1: I don't think that there's ever one that doesn't talk about effective date.
Speaker 14: Well, I think you and I are may be discussing two different things. The effective date and then I was talking about a blackout period.
Speaker 1: I think I get which delays, which delays the effective date exactly.
Speaker 14: So let's see what this particular policy.
Speaker 1: But either way, there's going to be an effective date in it one one way or another.
Speaker 14: Also, if he has, regardless of what the warranty says, if he has some kind of a text or an email from the dealer saying, Hey, buy this warranty and then we can put in a claim for a new engine for you, then that's the contract he has with a dealer.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I doubt that he has anything in exactly, but it could be. You know that that's fraudulent. They talked him into buying a warranty. That's you know, if he could prove that. David, do you have anything like a text or anything that talks about buying this warranty and it'll help you out. I mean, they sold it to you after they knew you had a problem. They were committing fraud. I believe. I believe the dealer was committing fraud, and.
Speaker 10: That this salesman that sold me the vehicle. I actually have text messages from him stating that warrant to your vehicle will be covered and we will replace your engine.
Speaker 1: Great, can you okay? We want copies of that too, along with the warranty. David, you might have a rare case where we can force them to do something if you have texts saying, hey, we know you're having a problem, buy this warranty, it'll cover it, or anything like that. God, will that help us? Will that help us? But still, people, I want to tell people listening still don't rely on text messages and emails. Everything must be stated in a contract in writing. Here's the other thing. Even if the effective date of the extended warranty was immediately, and if it was, it still has to be a covered item. So if the warranty says no pre existing conditions, guess what, it's not going to be covered anyway. So we got a number of problems here to try to help David, but he seems to have some ammunition that might help. Hang on, We got more coming up. Hi, Tom Martino, you're a troubleshooter. Three h three seven to one to three talk seven one three eight two five five. We're researching that problem with Skyline Mitsubishi. I want to see those text messages and I want to see the warranty. So keep David up there until we can look at that. Meanwhile, JR has a comment on or as a question on car warranties. Go ahead, JR. A.
Speaker 9: I have a comment.
Speaker 10: You know you're a trouble shooter.
Speaker 1: Correct, that's what I think I am.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you're good.
Speaker 13: Okay.
Speaker 9: And the last commercial, a couple of commerci about fivecasts ago, was our warranty.
Speaker 10: Why do you why do you advertise?
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, I can tell you that. I can tell you well, I can tell you that, Jar, if you want to stop and listen, I will tell you. I don't have control. I don't have control over iHeart commercials that run during my show. I am not that powerful. I don't own iHeart, I don't own the station. So what I do have control over are the local commercials that we do and what I endorse. So what I do is come on the air and talk about everything. I talk honestly and openly about it, whether they advertise or not. So that what you heard that, it's like, you know, it's like let's say somebody in Channel nine. Let's say somebody on Channel nine is doing the news. They don't have control over the commercials that air on that station. Now I do have some control, but not over the big spots that are sold by iHeart. There's nothing I can do about that. But what I can do is when I have a problem with those companies or when we discuss warranties, I don't let that interfere with my opinion of them. I tell the truth, and I'm telling you that extended warranties and warranties on cars are not worth the money. That's my opinion, and I stick by that opinion.
Speaker 19: Okay, with that last commercial too, right, Okay, yeah, well I.
Speaker 8: Didn't even hear it. I wasn't listening. I wasn't listening the way JR. I don't think you're listening. We have nothing to do with those commercials, Okay. I mean, that's the only way we.
Speaker 1: Can put it.
Speaker 13: I heard that.
Speaker 16: I heard it just the appearance.
Speaker 9: That's all, just the appearance.
Speaker 19: I know.
Speaker 1: No, And he's right. Jr's right. As far as JR Is concerned, he has one box that my voice comes out of, and right after I start talking or stop talking, then he hears a commercial about a warranty and he gets confused.
Speaker 8: Okay, then right then wait a second, Then right before an election, when there's eight million different no, I know, I know, it makes no sense. How just you said Channel Fox thirty one, Channel nine, Channel seven, anything on serious radio.
Speaker 1: People pay for commercials.
Speaker 7: If they didn't, we wouldn't.
Speaker 1: Have a god dang show. Yeah, well we do the best we can, jr. But thanks for bringing it up.
Speaker 9: Ripped up.
Speaker 21: You don't have.
Speaker 2: Can Shooter's gonna help come?
Speaker 1: This is the Troubleshooter Show. No Tom Martine. Hey, hey, hey, welcome to the show. I'm Tom Martine. This hour brought to you by the Artigranite dot Com. Mitch Fluria is with us as a guest, and I always argue, I always brag about how Mitch can give you prices on the phone for your countertop or island pricing or whatever you need. And he does that because Tara and Holloway is always free and wholesale on countertop materials. And also he just does prices on the phone. So Mitch, how close do you come to those prices on the phone.
Speaker 3: Well, the more information we got from the homeowners and pictures that, you know, the more accurate the prices.
Speaker 1: But of course.
Speaker 3: The slabs are not all the same the same price, so if varies, you know, per natural stolee.
Speaker 1: Or sort of different groupings.
Speaker 11: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So after you give a price on the phone, a rough estimate, then you go out to the house and template. Is that the next step?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the easy process. We schedule an appointment, we go out and measures. They can you know, make those final patterns, templates and takes a week for the guys to cut it, polish it, we'll we'll bring it back and all the work is done one day, even if you need to tear out. Although a lot of times someoneers are getting new cabinets, you know, as part of a largerie model, but it's a one day process in their home.
Speaker 1: Wow. So you mean in addition to the to the measuring, it's it's one day to get the construction done.
Speaker 3: Yes, everything from you know, the installation of the countertops, the backsplash, the plumbing, aerial hook up, the sinks and faucets.
Speaker 1: We do that as well, and you do all kinds of natural stone and man made materials. If you have any questions for Mitch, he's here today. Three oh three three eight six fifty nine nineteen is his number at the shop when he's not here, three eight six fifty nine nineteen. We love doing business with Mitch. He's been doing it for years and years and years. So let's talk to Frank on the phone. If you guys have calls, you can call us right now at three oh three Martina three oh three, six seven, eight four sixty six. That number works twenty four to seven as well. Frank, what's going on with you? Hi?
Speaker 4: Tom? I just wanted to thank you ever so much for a referral you made to my wife, uh about two weeks ago. It had to do with a defective shower door handle and you recommended Dmitri Turnic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Dmitri deputy d we call him. What was the issue?
Speaker 4: Listen, your deppy, let's.
Speaker 1: Recap the issue. What was the original issue.
Speaker 4: Well, there's a metal is a glass door that it has a metal handle, and the metal handle kind of came loose, and so Dmitrie came out the first time and he has a little alan rinches and you find it. You got it tightened. But again Michael Galpy brought the block tight.
Speaker 1: That is definitely beyond the call of duty. Listen to that. Mark. Dimitri literally took a wrench out there and fixed it.
Speaker 4: So then Frank and the second time he came back, but he brought locked to that.
Speaker 9: I hope, yeah, Frank, is.
Speaker 1: That still holding? Yes it is. Yeah.
Speaker 14: Well, if if it comes loose again, give me a call again, I was the credit back.
Speaker 1: What will you do this time? Well, what will you do the third time?
Speaker 14: I'm going to replace the horizontal stud that that sets that set screw goes into.
Speaker 1: How does does it have any kind of mechanism for not overtightening, because it seems to me if you overtighten a handle like that, you can crack the door.
Speaker 14: Well you the stud goes through a hole in the glass, and then the set screw gets tightened into this horizontal stud.
Speaker 1: Okay, I was with no risk of damaging the glass. Okay.
Speaker 14: Now now Mark was asking me about the critter. Uh So when Frank's wife first called this, they also said that their gardener had discovered some kind of like a little dugout hole next to their house.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh, we have like a vole or someday we're concerned. What was bigger than a vole?
Speaker 14: But they were concerned that something might have moved into their crawl space.
Speaker 19: What was it?
Speaker 14: Well, nothing, I went into the crawl space. It was a it was pitch black in there. There was no daylight, so I think some kind of a critter made a little like a little bed next to their next to their house and spent the night.
Speaker 4: Anyway, he is the nicest, kindest man to deal with.
Speaker 1: He is a great guy. Now, you know, Frank, thank you for giving us feedback. We do appreciate that. Yeah, props to D. Deputy D does a great job. And now we have time for your calls. We've been so busy every single second of this day. Now we have open lines for the first time. Three oh three seven one three talks seven to one three A two five five.
Speaker 13: Let me talk about a donation.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's let's put this in perspective. The woman that called with the problem was AutoNation. What was the problem? It was the they have this this twenty seventeen cheap Grand Cherokee two engine blue twy thirteen okay, the engine blue. And what happened was they had one hundred and eight thousand miles on it. I said, why didn't you get a check blah blah blah, and they said, because we had an extended warrantine thought that would cover it. But the warranty won't cover it because they said they ran it hot and overheated. And I said, what we have to do before we do anything is at least have one of our experts look at it to see if there's anything a parent that went wrong before it overheated, because if there's something wrong with the engine that should be covered under warranty, we want to know. And Dale the dad and Dawn the daughter said we can't find our car. They don't know where it is, and I said, well, of course they do. So we had Deputy Doc call over there. Go ahead, Doc, And.
Speaker 12: What really got me upset, tom I called three different people in the service department. All three put me on hold and never came back, which I thought was really obnoxious. So I'm gonna go down obnoxious tomorrow morning before the show. I'm gonna go down in person and find out where they hid a twenty thirteen jeep.
Speaker 1: Know, maybe if David Blaine doing a.
Speaker 13: Magic trick and hiding it, but they've got to know where the car is.
Speaker 1: No, really, you let us know about that tomorrow when you go over there. This is incredible. She hasn't had her car for how long?
Speaker 13: I think about two weeks, I think, And.
Speaker 1: They put you on hold indefinitely three different times. Oh my god. You know that's just totally unprofessional.
Speaker 13: So we'll go down in the morning and I will give a report when I come to the station.
Speaker 1: Now, when they put you on hold, doc, just a little technicality, did you disconnect after a while or did they disconnect?
Speaker 19: No?
Speaker 13: No, they disconnected?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Oh my god. So these guys don't care about anything.
Speaker 13: Now, if I disconnected, I wouldn't have said anything.
Speaker 1: But okay, gotcha? All right? So this is which AutoNation is it? Do you know?
Speaker 13: It's on the automation Subaru on a Wrappo road.
Speaker 1: Yeah, autat We've had complaints about them before. So people, you do with that? What you do with that? When we have problems? Accordingly? I mean truly. Uh, it's getting this is getting to be epidemic proportions. I mean people every day we hear about people who bought a used car and they say the engine blue. And it's not just with with AutoNation, it's with all kinds of people. It's crazy. It's crazy. Now we have a number of things to follow up on. First and foremost, let's follow up on the buy and build auction again. They do this a couple times a year where all bets are off, there is no minimum bid, and you can buy cabinets, you can buy all kinds of stuff for kitchens and baths and home improvements in general, and even non home improvement stuff. They have some other categories. So if you go to rollerauction dot com, click on the buy and Build banner Roller R O L L E R Rollerauction dot Com, click on the buy and build banner, and man, do I have bad news for Courtney. Courtney Pierce, the owner of Buy and Build, hoping to make as much as he can on this auction. That's why you have auctions. But I see so many lots of cabinets. The auction is closing at one o'clock. It closed, which means lot by lot, they go and close the item and then somebody can outbid you, and then it extends for two minutes. But if they don't outbid you, and there are a lot of lots there, you get to get this stuff at a song. What are you finding, Courtney.
Speaker 9: I'm finding that I'm losing my shorts.
Speaker 1: Tom.
Speaker 9: There are so many good deals that are happening right now. Granted we're in the like small stuff tool portion, and we're onli saw blades right now.
Speaker 16: But we've got some flooring.
Speaker 9: You know, the main categories that start my portion of the building material stuff is porcelain tile. And I've got porcelain tile sitting at thirty cents of square foot that is going to be sold in nine minutes for thirty cents a square foot for a well by twelve porcelain tile. I've got LVP flooring sitting here at forty cents a foot that is going to sell.
Speaker 1: That's unheard of a minute, unheard of, Yeah, I.
Speaker 9: Mean ten minutes. People have ten minutes to get on and save thousands.
Speaker 1: When will these cabinets dollars? When will these cabinets start closing, because that is the biggest.
Speaker 9: The cabinets start closing in fifteen, ten minutes, ten minutes, okay, twelve if you saw the first set closes. There's sending people one thousand dollars a set for full sets of kitchen cabinets.
Speaker 1: I know people. If you go to buy and build right now rollerauction dot Com, click buy and build and then in the search bar put cabinets. There are nine lots of cabinets here and I'm telling you you can get complete, complete sets of cabinets for under one thousand dollars. I mean there's one here that I mean, some of them, I can't I can't even believe. I just can't believe the buys. What I can't believe is how you're doing this without truly losing your shirt. I mean, you're just taking a gamble.
Speaker 9: Every time you do this, I am taking a gamble, and it looks like today I might actually lose my shirt, which is now part of the gamble. But unfortunately, it's it's a tough time and people aren't spending money right now in today's society, and so we're hoping for the auction being a good opportunity for them to save a bunch of money. But at the same time, I'm still noticing, just looking at these numbers that people aren't bidding, and there are some really, really good.
Speaker 1: Deals to be had.
Speaker 9: If you go there in the market for any building materials, you need to jump on this auction and bid on this stuff. You can steal it, you can turn it on and resell it in a couple Oh my god, huge profit.
Speaker 1: There's a double vanity with the granite and everything, all falses and complete sets for eight hundred dollars. And there's a vessel sink here with the granite and with the cabinet two hundred and twenty dollars. I mean, I don't see how the hell you can do it. So people, by the sheer numbers, there's not enough people to go on and bid these things up. There aren't enough people. I mean, you're gonna get some of this stuff for pennies on the dollar. There are complete no man, come on, complete vanity tops for five dollars. Come on, yeah, five dollars. Believa.
Speaker 16: Well there's some that don't even have a bid yet.
Speaker 9: You can win it for five bucks.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it's so rollerauction dot com. And then click the buy and build banner and so as it closes, you go in and bid.
Speaker 13: Right, So if.
Speaker 1: Something's that two hundred and twenty, all you have to bid is two hundred and twenty five. That's true, and then it's open for another two minutes, and then you add.
Speaker 9: Only one minute. Today I have just noticed that the extended bidding is only for sixty extra seconds.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you go in and make a last ditch effort or some of this stuff where you have no competition at all. You put in a five dollar bid and for one minute it stays open, and then it's yours. And if you get in a bidding ward with people, it's one minute each of you have. But there, I see, Courtney, here's the deep dark secret. I didn't really want to say, but I'm going to say it. There's no reason to get in a bidding war because some of these lots are identical and one will have a bid on it and the other one won't. So there's no reason to bid against someone when there's an identical lot next to it. Just take the one with no bid on it and go for five bucks, for God's sakes. So you have one going for four hundred dollars and one right next to it that has two bids on it for ten dollars.
Speaker 9: So you go to.
Speaker 1: I can only say one more time, rollerauction dot Com, click on the buy and build better. And what I want to know is I want people to let me know tomorrow what they bought, or Courtney, may you can just come on and let us know what people have gotten tomorrow, and don't be one of those who misses out. If you have a home improvement project going on right now, even if it's gonna go on later in the summer, put these things in your garage for good, say, for God's sakes, You'll never ever ever save more money. So Courtney, thank you very much. Rollerauction dot Com, hit By and Build, all right, we've had a lot of a lot of hail damage recently. In fact, Henry Bretts with Excel Roofing, they like to keep a handle on this because of course they repair, they repair these roofs. Where's the biggest damage, Henry that people had.
Speaker 11: So Tom, I was up there in a Johnstown up north kind of by Longmont, and I saw hale that was so big it had even gone through some car windshields. That happened at three in the morning yesterday.
Speaker 1: It went all the way through the windshield.
Speaker 11: Yes, some of these, most of the cars around, like the front windshield, we're very damaged. They're all broken out, but some back of back panels of glass had actually been broken through.
Speaker 16: The damage was so bad.
Speaker 1: Some people told me it was like baseball size, Like there were some baseball size hailstones. Yeah, that's serious.
Speaker 16: It was crazy.
Speaker 11: And I saw the front driving back from Casper, and I actually saw a tornado touchdown and I was caught in the storm.
Speaker 1: Now, where where is this damage from? Where to where? From Johnstown? Or does it come down farther south.
Speaker 11: I'm looking at a map right here, so it's pretty spotty. We have it up in Johnstown. We also have some in Lafayette, some in the kind of brightened area, Aurora and Colorado Springs.
Speaker 1: Now this is from yesterday. Do they expect anything today?
Speaker 16: I'm not sure about today.
Speaker 11: It doesn't look like it. The skies are pretty clear, But yesterday that was it was somewhat unexpected. We've had some big hail clouds, but not a whole lot has come.
Speaker 10: Out of it.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's talk about Let's talk about something very important. Henry a door knocking, door knocking. Explain that and explain when people say, well, we just need authorization to look at your roof.
Speaker 11: Yeah, absolutely so. A lot of roofer's door knock. And there are some local guys at doorknock. But the ones to really be careful of are the storm chasers. And when I was up there in Johnstown, all the storm chasers have already moved in and what they do is they come to the door and they have a contract and it's a contingency contract, which is it's not great. But within that contract they have a cancelation fee. And that's really where things get hairy, because if you try to back out of the contract with them all of a sudden, you have to pay a twenty twenty five thirty percent cancelation fee just because you didn't want to do the project.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, here's the worst thing. Here's the worst thing. And your dad and I used to talk about this all the time. They come to the door and they say, oh, by the way, we're here to inspect your roof. And first of all, they don't say they're a private company. They sometimes give the impression they're from insurance or the city. But anyway, they say they want to inspect your roof. And they say, just sign this. All this is and this is where they lie to you. This is authorization. This gives us authorization to look at your roof. Really and truly they're lying to you. That is not authorization to look at your roof. That is authorization to look at your roof, plus a binding contract to have that company do the work. What's even worse, is some of the people that come to your door and say, hello, missus Smith, this is authorization to look at your roof and we'll give you a complete report. So missus Smith thinks, oh, yeah, I could use that. That's not going to do me any harm. What you're doing is agreeing to that contract. You're agreeing to it. Now that person, what's worse, is not even a roofer. Now they take that contract and sell it to a roofer. So this could be someone Tom Dick and Harry just drives into town, goes door to door, gathers about twenty or thirty or fifty or one hundred signatures, and they go out and sell it to roofers. So a roofer, you have no idea who you're doing business with, might buy this contract. So some pispoor roofer might end up buying one hundred of those contracts. This person walks away with cash out the nose. They might sell one hundred contracts at one hundred bucks and then all of a sudden they made ten grand in an afternoon. And then the person who takes it over is a roofer. Now that roofer is a roofer only as a general contractor. They then go out on the street and get anybody to do the roof. So you think you're hiring a roofing company, the guy at your door is simply gathering contracts. Number two, the guy that buys the contract is simply buying the job. Then he goes out and literally finds sometimes people who are homeless that never swung a hammer in their life, and put them to work on your roof without insurance, without any of the stuff that you need to protect yourself. So first and foremost, deal only with direct roofers. Never deal with a lead aggregator. What I mean is this, if they don't own a company or if they're not employed by a company, literally a company that is a roofing company, do not sign a contract with them because you have no control over who does the work on your house. Number two, if you do job with a roofing company, check out the roofing company, Henry. How would you check out a roofing company if you were going to do it.
Speaker 11: So the first thing that I would do, and we should talk about insurance in a second, is that I would go on Google and I would look for the company on Google and see if they have a physical location. You want to find a roofing company that has a yard. They should have equipment, they should have.
Speaker 9: Trucks, trailers, all the stuff to do roofing.
Speaker 1: If it's just a little office.
Speaker 11: And you can't find a real roofing company, it's probably not the company you want to go with. Check Google reviews, check the Better Business Bureau, all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: Yes, for sure, And then what you want to do is you want to do busy. You want to look for references and reviews. Most people at your door are not roofers. Beware, never ever, ever sign anything at your door. Ever. I don't care who it is. You tell them, I'm sorry. You can look at my roof you can give me a recommendation, but I am not signing anything until I compare three or four contracts. All right, Excel Roofing. By the way, they're the people we know and trust. And remember they don't take a cent until you're content, so you can trust them. Three oh three seven sixty one sixty four hundred. Now we have more coming up on the Troubleshooter Show, and I want to remind you that renew Home Innovations dot Com has that beautiful porcelain shower. If you want a custom beautiful shower in your master bath or in the basement, or maybe a Jack and Jill bath. They turn that old shub, that that shower and tubcombo into a beautiful walk in custom shower in just two or three days. Renew home Innovations dot com. That's three oh three nine zero four two thousand. Hi Tom Martino, your troubleshooter. Three oh three seven to one three talk seven one three eight two five five. What a busy day. And I'm telling you, man, there are a lot of scams going on right now, so please please beware of those bloodsuckers knocking on your doors looking for roofing contracts. Tybar or is a t boar? Tybar? You have a problem with a moving company?
Speaker 16: No, it's he had it right the first time.
Speaker 1: Board t boar. Okay, t board what's going on?
Speaker 16: No, I didn't have a problem.
Speaker 1: Okay, sorry, yeah, I.
Speaker 13: Guess you did.
Speaker 1: You just called to say hi, Oh he has he has the opposite. He has the opposite of a problem. He wants to give us some good news.
Speaker 16: Thank you exactly, WD Doc. I hope he's there listening.
Speaker 13: I'm listening.
Speaker 16: Is awesome, Noah and the two young gentlemen that were with him. I wish I could remember their names. They were just bad you, no problems, no money up front. The price they told me is the price we paid.
Speaker 9: And they moved.
Speaker 16: We had been in this house for thirty five years and we were moving down to color Ass Springs. That's why I'm out of breath. I'm still moving.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 16: They were just fabulous.
Speaker 1: Now tell me, Thomas, Yeah, she's your real estate person.
Speaker 16: Yeah, she was fabulous, so patient. We looked at houses for six months down down in the Springs and she is just such a sweet person.
Speaker 1: And so oh, yeah, I'm wonderful.
Speaker 16: Yeah, yeah, I have I have social anxiety. But anyway, she was just great. And then my mom passed away two years ago and Frank Dran, the real estate man, sold that house. He he did his magic by putting it on the market on the low end. And then we had a bitting war and we Wow, my parents were in there for forty years. They're from Hungary. They immigrated here from Hungary nineteen fifty seven. They you know, they they got out of Hungary during the revolution or the yeah, the uprising. Yeah, and they came here with nothing and they built up, you know whatever they had, and I think Graham was great. And then the roof was in bad shape. When we had the inspection, I called Excel Roofing.
Speaker 1: My gosh, you're a great commercial for us.
Speaker 16: Yeah, Brandon, he said, he spelled his name Irish way. It's a weird Yeah, yeah, it's a weird way Brandon with Cell Roofing. He met our insurance agent, my mom's insurance agent. And the roof was probably twenty years old, and we got a new roof out of it. Oh the shout out to and I just love your show. I've been listening forever. And I remember one of my co workers, probably thirty years ago, call Game, and he rented a TV for a Super Bowl party and he got cockroaches in his house. Oh my gosh, and you took care of it for him.
Speaker 1: This was Hey, long time, tiber I love these stories. I really do, T Boor. I'm sorry, Hey, T Barr. Let me ask you this, why why did you go to Colorado Springs.
Speaker 16: We have a place in Leavilla. So I worked for a pretty good sized mechanical contracting company. I'm a master plumber and dried me crazy. When you guys have questions about plumbing and you don't have the right answers.
Speaker 1: Well, there's sometimes we don't. Sometimes we don't when we get our experts on. When we get our experts on, sometimes that works pretty well, but sometimes we get it wrong for sure.
Speaker 10: Well, yeah, just the other.
Speaker 16: Day, some guy called him complaining about a cup drain and it kind of drove me crazy because it was stupid. The company wanted to charge eighteen hundred of replaced the cup drain, and he had it all wrong. He hid it himself and he spent like thirty bucks, but the company wanted to spend like twelve hundred, which is you know, the book price. And another thing I want to say is the book price is way more expensive than hourly. We used to do hourly work for Bell plumbing and eating for ten years and we were hourly and it was way cheaper than the book price.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's why, that's why they went to book pricing, because they wanted to people to be faster, and they wanted people to you know, not just be faster, but get paid more. I mean, basically, that's what a book price is. It's a flat rate to encourage efficiency. But listen, nowadays with the and thank you for calling. But nowadays, with the way businesses, I mean it's expensive to do business.
Speaker 17: It is.
Speaker 1: And I'm not telling you you can't do better hourly or you can't do better again with a handyman. I mean you do what you can, when you can, how you can, and just hope that it doesn't backfire on you. We have more coming up. I want to tell you. Genesistotalexteriors dot Com does bathrooms, kitchens and kitchens, bathrooms and basements. They also do mold detection and remediation and painting. Think about them when you're spruce dunking for your house this spring. Genesistotalexteriors dot com. Hi Tom Martino here, God are we busy today? Right? And just another warning, don't sign anything at the door when it comes to roofing ever, not even a great company if someone comes to the door saying look it, I don't believe in signing anything at the door. What I'm going to do is to get my proposals together and compare them all. Now, you may be one I choose, but it's not going to be based on you knocking on the door. Now I've said this before if you take a thousand marbles and put him in a buck, in a in an aquarium, a thousand marbles in a fish bowl, and you picked out people who were ripped off, most of those marbles will be ones who were contacted at the door. Okay, that doesn't mean that everyone at the door is out to rip you off, but it's a bigger percentage of being ripped off if you hire people at the door. It's something you do not want to do. Now. Mitch Floria is with the art of granted, and of course he gives prices on the phone. You call him, he gives you a price, then he comes out and templates the job, measures, and then the next time he comes it's done. One day, carry out, haul away, and the installation of your new countertops. Mitch Fleury is nice having you here today. And what I love talking about is this wholesale on materials. Mitch, How exactly does that work? I always advertise wholesale on countertop materials. How does that work?
Speaker 3: It's pretty simple. If you find your slab here in a yard, you pay for you know what the slab is worth. We import slabs from Brazil and then some larger warehouses in Florida and down in Dallas in Texas. But then if you decide to go down to the local supplier, you know, there's a few large places in town.
Speaker 1: Here we can hand select your slabs. You pay just what that slab is worth. There's no there's no up charge really, so you just pay whatever you would pay wholesale, and then you charge for fabrication and installation. So when you go to yes, yeah, that's what I mean right right, for fabricating installation. So what specials do you have going on right now?
Speaker 3: If you push just the kitchen countertop, you receive a bedroom countertop free of charge, and also free sinks.
Speaker 1: Oh very cool, thinks, So free sinks, and when you do the kitchen you get a free vanity. Yes. What is the most popular materials available right now that people are getting.
Speaker 3: I think courts, the composite materials, you know, those white with gray veins and warmore tones. But course I think it's more than natural stone now, although we fabricate a lot of that natural court site that's becoming very popular.
Speaker 1: The artogranite dot com. I'm Martino. You're a troubleshooter. Well, we've come to the end of another show, and I want to remind you three ZHO three Martino will get you help twenty four to seven. You leave your name and number and we will call you back for the next show. Please spread that around. We have to stop these scams, these sliers, these sheets, these ripoffs. Right now the latest will be roofye scams. Don't sign anything at the door, don't forget three oh three Martino. That's three oh three six, two seven, eight, four sixty six, and save all your problems for me.
Speaker 5: Follow Tom Martino at Real Tom Martino and stay connected with all of us at six thirty k kayhow dot com and on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: This is Denver's talk station, six thirty k howse