Speaker 1: Welcome to Primetime Crime. I'm your host, Kylie. Let's talk right now in true crime, and then together we're going to work on warming up some cold cases. Let's go. Hey, guys, welcome to this week's episode of Primetime Crime. It's Kylie. We're going to get into a little right now in true crime, and then this week I have a guest episode from my friends over at the Unsolved Couple, Ben and Sierra. They have an amazing podcast. They do unsolved mysteries rewatches, recaps, and then give you the updates, which, if you're like me, you need updates on some of these cases that were covered so long ago. So Ben and Sierra do an amazing job, and they are helping me out this week by giving me an episode. I am going to be having a new episode released next week in honor of Crime con Vegas. I am working on that right now, and then the following week I'm going to have another guest episode coming your way. Thank you, guys for all of the support and everything and bearing with me this time when I am kind of semi taking a step back, but I did want to go over a little right now in true crime because we do have a few things that I've been following to go over. So I talked about how they were supposed to be starting the murder trial for Amber s Bradlin and that has officially been postponed. Now, originally they were going to be starting the trial in May. Doctor Michael McKinney, m K McKinney, and Josh Mullins are charged in connection with Amber's murder. And honestly, I'm glad that the judge said that they were going to postpone it. The prosecution asked for them to delay the trial because this case is mostly forensics and the Kentucky State Crime Lab is apparently backed up, and they are in the process of testing all of this evidence. And they have one hundred and forty five items that they have submitted, and this doesn't include the electronics submissions for Amber's k and that is a lot of evidence, and according to the lab, this is more than they're capable of testing at one time. So there's a lot that goes into testing all of this evidence, and they just basically need more time to test. And like I said, I'm glad that they decided to delay because the last thing we want is for this to go to trial. Without all of the evidence they need in place and tested, and then Michael and MKA and Josh getting acquitted because they don't have the evidence they need to prove their case. So, as of right now, the trial is delayed until January of twenty twenty seven. Again, that could change, but at least that gives the Kentucky State Crime Lab the rest of this year to finish the testing and then the prosecution time to get everything together that they need to prove their case. Although we are also anxious to get justice for Amber Scradlin, I do think they have to go about the things the right way in order to obtain that justice, especially given who is on trial here. Michael McKinney is a very prominent and well known dentist in the area and his son is basically on trial for the murder of Amber. And then Michael McKinney and Josh Mullens, who is a family friend, are also charged in connection with Amber's death, the cover up, the cleanup, so on and so forth. So I'm gonna be sure to keep you guys updated on anything else that transpires there. And now we're moving in to murder on News as we know his murder conviction was officially overturned, which we're not really surprised about. And it now came out that he is suing the former clerk of court, Becky Hill, that served during his murder trial, and he is alleging that she denied him a fair trial before an impartial jury. And there was a press comp about this lawsuit and everything, and I can't say I'm surprised. I feel like we all knew that this was going to happen. And there's a lot of talk that his trial is going to have to be moved elsewhere because how can you get a impartial jury when this has been the longest, most ongoing saga of them all. So I'll be sure to keep you guys updated on that, on his lawsuit against Becky Hill, and anything else that happens in the Murdas saga. It has been a very interesting turn of events. I don't really think anybody is surprised by all of this, given all that came out against Becky Hill. But now we have to go through the whole trial all over again, and it shall be interesting just like the first time around. So my favorite type of updates are ones where I can tell you guys that a cold case now has movement and has been a f solved. So they have arrested a man in a nineteen eighty six cold case sexual assault murder in Virginia Beach, so Twenty two year old Roberto Walls was found on May fifteenth of nineteen eighty six behind a elementary school in a field. Roberta was a loving daughter, a big sister, and a friend to those who knew her, and is described as somebody that could be counted on in her circle of friends. So despite there being physical evidence, her murder was investigated for basically the last four decades with no answers. In two thousand and one, they were able to develop a male DNA profile and it was entered into the National DNA data Bank, but there was unfortunately no match. Over the course of the investigation, they had DNA from thirty different potential suspects that were all matched back to this DNA and there was no match. T three, the Virginia Beach Police Department was able to receive grant funding that allowed investigators to pursue the route of forensic genealogy leads and they were able to identify a possible suspect who had strong ties to the area during the time period that Roberto was killed, and they were able to do a DNA a direct DNA comparison that identified a man named Charles Berry as the source of the DNA profile. Investigators discovered that Charles Berry, who is now sixty six years old and living in Newington, Connecticut, was in the US Navy during the time of Roberto's murder and he was stationed in the Virginia Beach area. Charles Berry did not know Roberta Walls before the murder, and police said that he was never on their radar at all. He has been arrested and charged with rape and capital murder in the commission of a rape. Virginia Beach Police Department gave an interview to abcnews dot Com and they are quoted as saying, this breakthrough stands as a powerful testament to the relentless persistence of our detectives who refused to let Roberta be forgotten. We hope this closure brings a measure of peace to the Walls family and sends a clear message, no matter how much time passes, we will never stop searching for the truth. Charles Berry, like I said, has been arrested in Connecticut, and at this point it's unclear whether or not he has retained an attorney. But this one is going to be developing, and it is just a testament to the fact that time is running out for these predators and these perpetrators who committed these crimes decades ago. I don't know much about his past, but it is very probable that he went on with his life and he was able to lead a very productive and normal life and basically blend into society with this secret looming that he committed this horrific murder forty years ago. But his time is up and he is now officially behind bars, and Robertus case is in the process of being closed. So there's any more developments in this one, I'll be sure to bring it to you, guys, but we are gonna go ahead and get into this week's episode with Ben and Sierra from Unsolved Couple.
Speaker 2: I'm Keana, and I leveled up my business with Shopify. Once I figured out that Shopify was a thing, I never turned back. I can create a site with my eyes closed. Shopify thinks ahead of us, you know, and it thinks about the customer more than anything.
Speaker 3: Every day.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking about some other new business, but Shopify is doing it to me because it's so easy to use. It's like I can't stop.
Speaker 4: I'm addicted.
Speaker 2: Start your free trial at shopify dot com.
Speaker 5: When it's time to scale your business, it's time for Shopify.
Speaker 4: Get everything you need to grow the way.
Speaker 5: You want, like all the way, the way, the way, Stack more sales with the best converting checkout on the planet, Track your chichins from every channel, ride in one spot, and turn real time reporting into big time opportunities.
Speaker 4: Take your business to a.
Speaker 5: Whole new level.
Speaker 4: Switch to Shopify the.
Speaker 5: Start your free trial today.
Speaker 4: Hey everybody, I'm Sierra and welcome back to another episode of The UNSOBBD Couple, where every week Ben and I recap one of your original gateway drugs into true crime.
Speaker 6: Unsol mysteries.
Speaker 4: Boom tippity tuppity bipity boppity boop boop. Have you ever been booped on the nose by somebody? What if a stranger walked up to you and booped you one of those? I feel like it could go one or two ways, it depends. That's yeah. They'd have to be really good at reading the room.
Speaker 6: I think I would probably laugh.
Speaker 4: I love that would be so funny to be the person that goes up to strangers and just goes.
Speaker 7: I wouldn't do it because you just that I don't trust strangers, but I love a good joke.
Speaker 6: You do.
Speaker 7: So I'm here for if someone came Probably if someone came up and did that to me, I would laugh.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: For obviously, I think everyone would like first happen. I think a lot of people like what that caught off? Does happened on your face? Yeah? Of course?
Speaker 4: Yeah? But yeah, all right, well we're back another week, another episode. I'd probably laugh, yeah, or I'd boop them back because I bet they wouldn't be expecting that and it would be a double booping. Yeah. All right, Well what are we shitty chatting about today? Season four, episode Night Team, one Night mm hmmm. A couple quick housekeeping notes. First off, later this week, I'm going to be dropping in to our listener feed a new podcast called Secrets Beyond the Sacramento River. It's by two good friends of mine, Jules and Jen. There investigative podcasters. I would like to gift you guys the very first episode, so check it out if you like what you hear, please go make sure to follow the podcast and drop them a five star rating review. And then the other housekeeping note before our like run of the mill housekeeping notes, we had another listener by SA Coffee become a sponsor of the show, and her name is Amy, And I asked her, let me know what your favorite memories are or an Unsolved Mysteries episode and she said Cindy James or the Kendy Cabin Murderers. So she is a longtime lover of Unsolved Mysteries and a fan of z podcast. And then later in the episode, I thought it'd be fun to start reading some of our five star ratings and reviews. And on that note, please please please make sure to drop us a five star rating or review. It pushes us forward in all the algorithms as well as makes us super happy. Follow us on social media, follow us wherever you're getting this podcast, Share us with a friend, and all your wildest dreams will come true. All right, Ready to dive in.
Speaker 6: Yes, ma'am?
Speaker 4: Okay, three stories?
Speaker 1: So me you me?
Speaker 6: Yeah, because I only have one, you only have one.
Speaker 4: I'll start with our lost love story. Yeah, we've got a lost love for us and I have some mess for you, but I have a lot of questions about this one as well.
Speaker 6: So just while I'm.
Speaker 4: Telling this story, and we'll try to unpack a few things. Okay, So we're we're dialing back the time frame to the nineteen thirties and the United States is just kind of starting to pull out of the Great Depression. So because it ended in nineteen I guess nineteen forty two, it lasted just over a decade. But for many, the cost of this is from Robert Zek the personal treaty that would continue for a lifetime. Such was the case for a young girl and her older brother who lived in Hillsdale, Texas, and in nineteen forty one, Barney Dewey was twelve years old, but was already the main male of the home even at the age of twelve, he worked part time at a gas station. While at the gas station working he took care of his eight year old sister, Angeline. So in the reenactment, she's literally like a play in the dirt, and he's like attending the cars that come through the gas station. It was just this was a very different time.
Speaker 6: And it's a different world.
Speaker 4: It's a world that I cannot even understand experienced their stepfather at the time. I've got no more information on this. I tried to find it was hospitalized, I don't know for how long or for what. And their mother, Lucy, was basically working long hours as a garment worker. I'm gonna guess being paid next to nothing in a terrible factory somewhere, because I've listened to a few podcasts about like working conditions at the time. In these factories, it was awful, and women were even paid less than the men garment workers because they were females and it was just like hot. Yeah, I mean, that's a different podcast for a different day. So this young boy recalls that wild times were hard and the family was constantly concerned with just trying to keep what he called quote, body and soul together, which I thought was a term I hadn't really ever heard. They were trying to make ends meet and just basically keep themselves alive. And his mom could read and write but didn't have a major education. Like, they're just trying to keep their head above water. But at the end of the day, this is a very bleak existence. But Barney and his family managed to scrape by and stay together until one day of the spring of nineteen forty one, when he and Angelie had a visitor, a quote kindly old man named Reverend Nicholas. Reverend Nicholas introduced himself to Barney and claimed that he was a friend of Lucy's. It was their mother, and told Barney that she was sick and that she wanted him and Angeline to go stay with him at his home in Albanin. Barney figured that they would do so and she would come and get them after she was recovered. As Barney put it, quote he could quote he could quiet our fears with a few words and a piece of candy of what she was known to always carry in his pocket. It literally seems to be the origin story of like don't get into the car with the stranger with candy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think that came after this.
Speaker 4: I so Reverend Nicholas took the two children to a fancy hotel.
Speaker 7: Let's just get this stranger. There's no way this man was a reverend. He was there was no way he was following.
Speaker 4: But I know, and here's unfortunately, this is going to get worse, and it's not going to get worse. Per Unsolved mysteries, and I'll tell you what. Even to this day, this man is considered a man of ear within this community. I don't think people have looked into this like you and I did. So Reverend Nicholas takes the two children to a fancy hotel. Oh, sorry to keep going back from the picture of this man during this timeframe, he was dressed in the most luxurious clothing I've seen. This wasn't just like a man that was We've seen in a couple of other the great depression stories that was like able to kind of get through and even be comfortable. This man was living in the lap of luxury among people who were starving and barely able to feed their children. And he was doing it whilst telling people he was a man of God. So just sorry, I didn't want my personal things to get into this, but clearly you guys are hearing. So he takes them and gets them both fancy, beautiful new outfits, feeds them a scrumptious dinner. I tried to look no word on what the dinner was, and the next day all dre just up in their new clothed, cleaned and filled belly's full. He takes photographs of them, which again was like a luxury at the time. Barney tells them that something had happened to Lucy and that they were unable to see her and him and him and Angeline were taken by Reverend Nicholas to a bus station. Then at this point Nicholas says, like, where are we going or not Nicholas, sorry, excuse me. Barney asks him where are we going? And Reverend Nicholas tells them, you guys are going to just go on a little trip, but not to worry and everything would be okay. Dooking, So as Barney and Angeline got into the bus, she starts to cry she's what eight at the time, saying that she doesn't want to go she misses her mother, and Reverend Nicholas tried to calm her down, saying that they were going to be meeting up with Lucy once they got off the bus. And every time they questioned or objected to anything, wherever Nicholas would soothe their feelings and said, everything is going to be all right. These two sweet children trusted him and believed them that they were going to be seeing their mother at the end of this bus ride, and that's that's where their end destination was. However, later that day, Barney and Angelina arrived with Reverend Nicholas at a Foster home.
Speaker 5: When it's time to scale your business, it's time for Shopify.
Speaker 4: Get everything you need to grow the way.
Speaker 5: You want, like all the way, the way the way, stack more sales with the best converting checkout on the planet, Track your chichains from every channel, ride in one spot, and turn real time reporting into big time opportunities. Take your business to a whole new level. Switch to Shopify. Start your free trial today.
Speaker 8: You did a start a business just to keep their lights on. You hit a Selmo more today then yesterday. You're here to weep. Lucky for you, Shopify built the best.
Speaker 9: Converting checkout on the planet, like said just one tapping, ridiculously.
Speaker 10: Fast acting, sky high sales, stacking champion the checkouts.
Speaker 3: That's the good stuff, right bag. So if your business is in it to.
Speaker 11: Win, it win with Shopify.
Speaker 8: Start your free trout today at shopify dot com slash win.
Speaker 4: So Barney believed that Lucy was going to meet them there. A few days later, however, he starts to realize that things are not adding now. His mother is nowhere to be found. So Reverend Nicholas and his adopted son Nick Crane come to the orphanage to pick up Barney, but not his sister Angeline. She starts to cry and solve. She holds onto her brother and tries to follow them to the car. She had to be physically restrained by an employee at the orphanage. As they left, she yelled to Barney, you promised me you were going to find our mom, but there was nothing that the sweet boy could do. Only later did Barney understand that the fancy new clothes and the photograph had been used as an advertisement to show prospective foster parents. So get this. Barney is sent to live on a hundred acre ranch outside of albernine, Texas. And this man is a better human than I am. Because Barney's interviewed on Unsolved Mysteries. He's the one looking for his sister.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's the one that brought this time mysteries.
Speaker 4: I don't know if it's just goodness in this man, but he talks highly of his foster parents, and I'm going to tell you what he said. So first off, we find out that his foster parents are none other than Reverend Nicholas's secretary. So a woman who claims to be like a paid employee of whatever church these people are a part of. This is the secretary of the church and her husband, who conveniently at the same time, were in desperate need of a ranchan. So this woman during the Great Depression owns a hundred acres.
Speaker 6: This is during this is the forties.
Speaker 7: Now we're out of the depression, yeah, just coming out of it, and.
Speaker 4: She's working as a secretary. It has one hundred acres and is in need of a ranch hand. That is umbrella. Umbrella like disguised as I'm going to be a good person and foster a child.
Speaker 7: It gets better as we learned they weren't really foster parents.
Speaker 4: So Barney tells us, yes, that he was really happy because he was given responsibility. He was responsible for driving the tractor, plowing, doing all of the chores on the ranch to keep the animals fed and cared for. He enjoyed this immensely because he felt like he was in charge, like he had he had a purpose, he was doing something. He had his own horse, and could do whatever he wanted to on his ranch. Because you guys, he lived in a separate home. These human garbage bags could not even bother to let this twelve year old boy that they had ripped away from not only his parents but his sister live in there under their roof.
Speaker 6: Well, that's what I'm saying. They didn't.
Speaker 7: They weren't foster. They just they took this kid in as an employee, unpaid free.
Speaker 4: This is what we call like in and he's an indentured servant. Yeah, and they give him a horse. They make him response. This is hard. Plowing and feeding and carrying of animals night and day is intense labor. And I'm sure there's a part of this kid, who for the first time in his life had a roof over his head and probably food in his belly, was struggling with this sort of give and take. So he tells us he does start to feel lonely because his existence on this farm or this ranch was a solitary one because he was forced to live eight miles and this is eight miles back in the day, away from the main ranch house.
Speaker 6: It's just crazy because one hundred acres.
Speaker 4: Is not exactly He wasn't living on property. So either he's had a horse, so he had to either She.
Speaker 7: Was living on the hundred acres because like, like my grandfather was a rancher. He was a yeah, I mean he was a rancher, had dairy cows. But the house they lived at was not on the land and the barn and.
Speaker 6: All of that.
Speaker 7: So they lived there and then they you know him, my dad, as brothers when they would go down to the property and take care of the cows, and you have to go there. He lived where all the animals were and where that is, and these people lived in town or something.
Speaker 8: Here's golf legend John Dailey.
Speaker 12: Oh yeah, these winds are pulling up faster than my divorces. I only spent on Moto America's Social Casino. You know, I've won a couple of majors and on Moto I won majors, Grands and epic jackpots on their Classic Vegas slots with huge, huge bonus rounds. Moto Casino adds new games and awards players three coins every single day, grip at.
Speaker 11: And spent it on Moto Casino.
Speaker 8: Load the Moto Casino app today.
Speaker 13: Moto Casinos Social Castina boid with phibity no but just necessary. Visit Motodocu West from Mortgachrissina.
Speaker 3: Bisocial scene.
Speaker 11: Do you know more than your car is worth? Is your interest rate too high? Need a lower payment?
Speaker 10: Now come into Volkswagen Cypress and pick your promotion. One trade in your car with our incredible buyout program. Two upgrade to a new twenty twenty six Volkswagen least like the twenty twenty six.
Speaker 11: Jet ass for just one ninety nine a month. Or three get our rate reduction.
Speaker 10: We're offering four point nine percent APR for eighty four months on nearly every dw R A lot. Pick your promotion today and Volkswagen Cypress visit thew cypress dot com Call.
Speaker 14: Eight hundred and seventy eight zero seventy five four for full details. Offers in June thirtieth, twenty twenty six.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I have a lot of questions. And here's the thing. Obviously this was a very long time ago, and I'm I'm getting stuck on the wrong thing. But my heart broke for this. This story is a set.
Speaker 6: It's a sad story.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean yeah, And I don't like it when people hide under the umbrella that they are working for a faith or doing this in the name of God or whatever, like this man, Reverend whatever is bud Is, was very proud of the fact that he was a member of whatever clergy he thought he was a brotherhood of and he used that position of power to take advantage of people far below the station. And I'm sorry, when you're a reverend, you're supposed to be lifting your hand down and picking people up.
Speaker 7: Well, these kids were kidnapped. Really, when you just you get down to the brass tack su the facts of the matter.
Speaker 15: These kids, this man saw to take advantage of how this boy is.
Speaker 7: Telling the story. They were taken from their home under the guys of false pretenses. Yeah, and it appears that the parents were never told and so yeah, I mean really that.
Speaker 4: Falls a man an orphanage and a foster like sort of. I mean, this is human trafficking. He was human trafficking children, got kidnapping.
Speaker 7: And sending them and then taking those kids, like you said, he was kidnapping and then trafficking them for We don't know, but.
Speaker 4: He obviously went very well off.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna imagine he wasn't just doing this and not receiving anything that return. Yes, we don't know this never.
Speaker 4: At least I looked, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 7: That information is probably never never because it's not out there.
Speaker 4: No one in this community has bothered to look into this. So as time passes, he starts to kind of become upset about the situation that he's in. He misses his sister, he misses his mother, and so he decided he's going to just leave the ranch and he's going to go look for his family on his own. But yet, he's such a good human being that he felt the need to take off all of any clothing and belongings that these quote unquote foster parents had bought for him, put on his old clothes and his old shoes, and take like thirty seven cents that he had in his pocket that he had earned at the gas station that he showed up with because he wasn't getting paid again you guys on this ranch, and leave and go look for his mom and sister on his own. So it's ninety seven miles from the ranch, simon the ranch, so I'm guessing that's probably was where he was living, to Hellsdale, Texas. When he gets there and I have no more information on this either, he discovers that his mom and his stepfather had moved away. I don't know why. I don't think his mom was physically in great shape and maybe even not mentally, because that'll make more sense here in a few minutes. So he began a personal honesty looking for these two women that chrisscrossed Texas and nearly covered over a thousand miles that this kid made to make it on his own with thirty seven cents and like one outfit at twelve years old.
Speaker 6: Yeah, this kid is pretty remarkable.
Speaker 4: Absolutely so oddly like, we also find out Barnie's able to track down his earth father, who apparently like was choosing to not be I don't know, I don't know what his story. He doesn't seem like the most attentive human being, and he then travels to Kilgore and then onto Humble, just outside of Houston, where his father then puts him on a bus to Odessa, where he'd be reunited with his mother. So he shows up at his biological father's house. His biological father seems to have an idea where his mother is, doesn't seem to ask a lot of questions about where his daughter is, and basically puts him on a bus to go back to live with her, even though he was kidnapped from that location or from that person's custody at some point. Again, I've got so many questions. So when he gets to Odessa, he gets off the bus and recognizes his mother and runs up to her, but she doesn't recognize him. It's a weird note that they tell us and unsolved mysteries because by the time they've been reunited, it's actually only been a year. There's a lot of life that happened in a very short amount of time, and the only change was he said at some point someone bottom a pair of glasses and his mom couldn't recognize him. To me, there is a part of me that wonders if this woman was struggling with some major potential physical or mental health issues.
Speaker 7: Uh the way, because Barney's want telling the story, He's just given us the flyby. There's so much more to this story, and I just think there's a lot we don't know.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, he's just kind of trying to like.
Speaker 6: These people have taken him.
Speaker 7: I just think the way he tells a story, I mean, this story could probably fill up an entire episode if you actually got down to like.
Speaker 4: I know, it's just hard because then she turned to her son and asks him, well, have you talked to your sister?
Speaker 16: I don't know.
Speaker 4: We don't get any information on whether she had actually been doing anything to try to find them either. And I know we covered the other story in Tennessee where there was the judge and her companion going around kidnapping children from parks, kind of in the same situation, realizing that women were having to work and so kids were left unattended. And it sounds like, whether due to lack of education, or lack of financial means, or even like just barely being able to keep your head above water, they didn't have the wherewithal or the ability to like fight back. And that breaks my heart, which is another reason why this man was taking advantage of people in their most vulnerable states. So he says, no, I haven't. I don't know anything about my sister. So he asks his mom did she sign any papers? Like how did we end up in this spot? And all she let them know is that she hadn't signed any paperwork and that she would have never done that to them. She said. Around the time that Reverend Nicholas took them, authorities had temporarily taken her into police custody, and she wasn't sure the reason why, and then was let go shortly after to come home and find that her kids had been taken because she had been quote arrested. So there's your scheme, which means that the police were probably being paid to bring these people in for false charges like it's a whole this is human trafficking like one oh one so, and no one ever had told her where the two children were taken. So Barney goes on and lives with his mother and stepfather till he's eighteen years old, and in nineteen forty seven he's married for you. Years later, him and his wife Stella traveled to Albertine an attempt to locate Reverend Nicholas and ask him a few questions. They ended up meeting up with Nick Crane, who owned a pharmacy in town. Nick Crane, if you remember, is the adopted son of Reverend Nicholas, and Nick tells him that Reverend Nicholas had actually died a few years ago. His orphan had been shut down by the state of Texas. But again I could not find any records as to why it was closed, and whatever records had existed were kind of just tossed around in some buckets or boxes in the back of the pharmacy. So Varney and his wife siff through all the papers. They find nothing. They believe that some of the records were destroyed by employees of the orphanage. I'm gonna guess that maybe that had happened, like dumping the right like everyone's trying to what's this. There's like several movies where there's scenes of like, you know, the FBI is coming and everyone's like that shredders and is trying to dump all the records. That's what I imagine happened. Yeah, yeah, So Barney, now at the age of sixty two years old, is living in Stockton, California. He himself is a minister. I found out. They didn't say that, but I looked it up, like that's what his career was. And for the last fifty years he has been searching for his sister. He's been unable to contact her or find out anything that knows about any of her whereabouts. All he has left are a couple of pictures of her. They were taken between seven and eight years old. She was born in nineteen thirty three, adopted in around about the time of nineteen forty one, you ain't had about Modo Casino.
Speaker 17: Moto has real Vegas slots. Any game you can plan on the floor in Vegas, you can play it on Moto. I like my slots hot. Moto's free to play like food steps in the grocery store, at a funeral in trapp and keep grays on the road. Hop on Moto Casino. If Moto Casino got jackponds that are bigger than my bed, Moto America's hottest free to play social casino.
Speaker 13: Download the Moto Casino lab today. Moto Casino so social Casino boid. We're phibited, No put just as thirty. Visit MOTODOCU West from Mortegas.
Speaker 3: Casino Episocial Decene.
Speaker 11: Do you owe more than your car's worth? Is your interest rate too high? Need a lower payment?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 10: Come into Volkswagen Cypress and pick your promotion. One trade in your car with our incredible buyout program. Two upgrade to a new twenty twenty six Volkswagen Least like the twenty twenty six Jenass for just one ninety nine a month or three get our rate reduction. We're offering four point nine percent APR for eighty four months on nearly every DW ONR lot. Pick your promotion today at Volkswagen Cypress. Visit BW cypress dot com call eight.
Speaker 14: Hundred and sevententy eight zero seven five four for full details. Offers in June thirtieth, twenty twenty.
Speaker 4: Six, and their mother passed away in nineteen eighty five, but Barney believes that as an adult, his sister may remember her, remember her and him, and also be looking for him. So, Barney Angelie are the only are two of thousands of children who passed through Reverend Nicholas orphanage. Again, that should be a red flag. No orphanage should have thousands of children coming through it. That's way too many kids. And his orphanage was called the West Texas Children Aid and Welfare Association and daring the early to mid nineteen nineties. Many of the families were in financial troubles who had their children go missing.
Speaker 6: You said in the nineteen nineties, You mean nineteen.
Speaker 4: Thirties, sorry, nineteen hundreds. Yeah, So that's kind of where unsolved mystery leaves us, all right, update solved on the night of the broadcast Barney's prayers. Right when Neil Smith of Cedar Hill recognized Angelaie as his adopted sister, Martha Jean Smith. The picture of her and Barney was the same one she brought with him with her from the orphanage when the Smiths took her in in nineteen forty one. She had grown up in Cross Plains. Another adopted brother named Paul had actually tried to help her locate her birth family, but had been unsuccessful. Martha Jean is mildly mentally handicapped and lives and works at Rainbow Acres, a group home for mentally disabled adults in Camp Verde near flag Stuff. Kim Birdy is actually really close to where we stayed when we went up to Strawberry this last year. Verde means green, so it's called Camp Green, but we like to use Spanish words in Arizona there but that in your book of fun facts, so.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Sadly, she had grown up with the belief that her birth family did not love her and wanted nothing to do with her. That was kind of the story that she was told I know. However, she was happy to learn that that wasn't actually true, and Barney immediately made arrangements to reunite with her at his daughter's house in Chandler, So March twenty third, nineteen ninety two, a few weeks after the broadcast, they are able to reunite. They are thrilled to see each other, and they're happy that this whole search is over. And his only regret was that he wasn't able to find her obviously before their mother had passed away. And she expressed on the unsolved mysteries update the joy that she felt, and she's now happy to believe that she has two families that love her instead of just one. So that afternoon, Barney and Martha Martha Jean began to fill in details of the years they had spent apart, happy to learn that even with her disabilities, that she had been raised in a loving home and was very well taken care of by her adopted family. He's very grateful about that, and that he considers this one of the high points in his life.
Speaker 6: So, yeah, there you go.
Speaker 4: And he ended up living till March twenty third, two thy nineteen, and passed away at the age of ninety years old. So he died on March twenty third, twenty nineteen.
Speaker 6: And they reunited on March twenty.
Speaker 4: Third, Yes, nineteen ninety two. That is that gave me goosebumps. Bin, I did not even put that together. Yeah, there you go. God works some mysterious ways.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 4: So, yeah, she's still I couldn't find any record of her passing. But I mean twenty nineteen, she was eight in nineteen forty one, Well, she.
Speaker 6: Was born in nineteen thirty three, so she's almost one hundred.
Speaker 4: If she is still alive, Yeah, I should look up. I didn't look up that camp of it up in uh.
Speaker 6: Right, nineteen thirty three, so she'd be ninety two years old.
Speaker 4: I could not find any record that she had passed away. It's hard because she's got two names, like on the Unsolved Mysteries her she goes by her.
Speaker 7: That's the name she worked by most of her life, which Smith is a very common last name she is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean camp Verde is a very very tiny, tiny community, So if she lived there for as long as she did, I'm sure that there are people that are aware of who she is. So yeah, So to answer some of your questions, I did do some research in on this man. What was infuriating in a way is that this tiny, smaller Texas town where he's from. He's like buried in a place of honor, like with a plaque, and there's like write ups in the newspaper. There's all kinds of like things about in the in the museum. I think that these the This is very evident to me that this man was not doing things correctly. For thousands of people to go through his orphanage, for him to be so uber wealthy in a time where money was hard to come by, and on top of that that most of the families whose children were missing were impoverished. This man, in my opinion, with and I mean, here's it, he's dead. I can say whatever I want to him about him. I think he's a terrible human being who was human trafficking children and taking advantage of vulnerable people and pretending to be the sweet revend with a candy in his pocket and dressing kids up and feeling put in their bellies. And it seems like we're I'm grateful that this Smith family took this girl in and gave her a good life. According to her, however, this boy was given to his secretary to be a labor producer. I don't does that answer any of the question you and I both had questions when we were watching this.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, I just it was pretty evident that there was so much more of this story.
Speaker 4: I found a Facebook post about him and kind of just like glorifying him, and I, I.
Speaker 7: Mean, it's it's pretty clear though. We've now covered multiple things. We've covered the Tennessee. We've covered the trains from New York. That wasn't someone kidnapping them. That was so many kids were homeless on the streets. Yeah, New York was trying. They were trying to push them into an area where maybe they could have a better thing.
Speaker 6: But unfortunately, unfortunately we took advantage of that and looked for what do Yeah, they saw free labor and families.
Speaker 7: Brothers and sisters were separating. That was one of the stories we had with them. I was separated from a sister and.
Speaker 6: He was looking.
Speaker 7: Like we are said, this world we don't even understand because twenty twenty six does not even function anywhere close. Yeah to this, that's not a justification at all.
Speaker 4: I just I don't with that said, you, as a man of God, were profiting off children, ripping them away from their families. You if you had so much money, why weren't you trying to lift these families up? Why weren't you providing food or clothing or education for them? Instead, you saw this as an opportunity to serve yourself, to make money off of them, and to appear to be doing it in some good graces, like a man that is.
Speaker 6: Low lo low.
Speaker 7: At the end of the day, these two kids were kidnapped from them parents, and it was separated from his sister for fifty years.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that's terrible. Yeah, and yeah, I don't know. I'm not an investigative journalist. I'll tell you what. If you live down in Texas, this would be an amazing piece. I think it would be an amazing write up. To kind of do a deep dive, to be able to go to the archives, to be able to interview people. I think it would be really fascinating and to I don't know right or wrong, I guess would be potentially to just find out some answers. I know there's not going to be any justice for some of these people, but to maybe shine a light on maybe something not good. What do you have for us, Benjamin, I.
Speaker 7: Have a terrible story for you. Buckle up, Buttercup, all right, I got the story of Joe and Mattie Harvey. Some murder, a murder, I was told, I don't say that anymore. Mud all right, but this is a terrible story. I don't like this story.
Speaker 6: It kills me.
Speaker 4: Man uh More.
Speaker 3: Casino Comerica Social Casino.
Speaker 8: Welcome to Moto Casino, where the excitement never ends.
Speaker 14: With thousands of the hottest free to play social casino games, fatsest payouts.
Speaker 8: And the best promotions in the industry, no tricks or gimmicks.
Speaker 3: Owned and operated in the USA.
Speaker 13: Moto Casino a free to play lot casino no but just necessary twenty one plus to play void for prohibited.
Speaker 8: Sign up today for a generous welcome bonus, Mo.
Speaker 3: Casina Mecasocial Casino.
Speaker 8: Download the Moto Casino app today.
Speaker 11: Do you owe more than your car is worth? Is your interest rate too high? Need a lower payment?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 10: Come into Volkswagen Clearlake and pick your promotion. One trade in your car with our incredible buyout program. Two upgrade to a new twenty twenty six Volkswagen at least like the twenty twenty six jen As for just one ninety nine a month, or three get our rate reduction We're offering four point nine percent APR for eighty four months on early every DW on our lot.
Speaker 11: Pick your promotion today at Volkswagen Clearlake. Visit BW like dot com.
Speaker 14: Call two two eight two six ninety for full details offers. In June thirtieth, twenty twenty six.
Speaker 7: Joe and Mattie are Harvey are amazing people. They own a little gas station, a little grocery store in Lewis Chapel, Mountain, Tennessee. And I want to go there and live there. From the pictures I saw, I'm in, I'm here.
Speaker 4: Did you look up the town currently? No?
Speaker 6: No, what's it called Lewis Chapel.
Speaker 4: Lewis Chapel, Mountain, Tennessee.
Speaker 7: It's just outside of Chattanooga, which Chattanooga is beautiful. So also there was a gas station.
Speaker 6: I told you.
Speaker 7: It was also a repair shop. I think Joe worked on some cars. It was the only place to kind of get grocery, some groceries for miles, and it was it was a gathering place.
Speaker 6: People came there, they hung out.
Speaker 7: And Joe and Maddie which I guess Maddie went by teat because they're interviewing family members and they're callin he teat all the time.
Speaker 15: And uh, which I do you know what a pig nipple is called a teat? It's just very close. Like it just was making me like, please don't if someone called me a teat. I don't think I would think of that at. Her name was That's what she went by. Okay, I will call her Maddy. But they they loved people coming in, They talked to people. They just were a very big staple. They were an older couple that all in this place, and they were a big staple in this town.
Speaker 6: Everyone loved him. They get his brother in there.
Speaker 7: He's talking and he's saying, you know, they they didn't have a bank account, which makes sense for people that probably grew up around the depression. They kept cash receipts and a lot of cash like in their in their home because you know, like I said, they didn't really trust guess stations. So he says, like I tried to tell him to get a bank account, put it in there.
Speaker 6: They didn't think. He even said, I told I told him to get a gun to protect themselves. Why would we need to do that.
Speaker 7: We know we're in this small town. We trust everybody and they're just very trusting people. So but unfortunately, on March fourth, nineteen ninety one, the sheriff is called because guess what, the store is not opened by nine am, and no one can remember the last time that that has happened, So of course they call the sheriff, and we get the sheriff Joe May out.
Speaker 6: It looks like he's the.
Speaker 7: Only law enforcement guy in this town, which probably tracks for that town, and he shows up. He goes to the house, He gets in there and he notices something's wrong. He goes in the house and inside the house it's all burnt up. The house is not burned down to the ground, but the inside is like charred. And then as he goes outside, he's going down the steps from the house and he notices like blood spots and stuff on the stairs, so he knows instantly. He says, something's going on, So he calls TBI, the Tennessee Bureau of Investigations. They come out and they start doing an investigation. One thing that they notice is there is a gas can, like a gallon gas can on the counter. Blood spots throughout the house, at least that they can find that's not burnt up. We get Bill Pope, who is the district attorney general. He says, listen, we're told these two people they're missing. The house is burnt up. We all come to find out they keep money in the house. So obviously that leads the investigation that this was a possible robbery, and you know, obviously they think that this might be a murder. We learned that Joe and Maddie they didn't have children of their own, but they had a lot of family in this little town, and they had nieces and nephews, and they were very close with all of their extended family. And they were extremely close with their twenty seven year old niece, Cheryl Holland, who also had a daughter of her own, a five year old I learned later a son, I guess. They say they treated her like their daughter. They loved her, and they loved her daughter, that she came in, she hung out, They would do anything for her, but crazy. A week after Joe and Maddie go missing. Because technically they're missing, we've got a crime scene. Cheryl has disappeared trucks at a truck stop about two hours away. They find her truck abandoned Keyser in the truck. There's a necklace on the ground, her wallet and ID and everything is in the car. Bill Pope, who's the I told you the district attorney general, He says, listen, he is strange. The crime scene looks like she was abducted, and he says, now, we're really concerned. She's two hours away. We have three immediate family members missing.
Speaker 4: And a charredhouse.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Also, I found us a house in this area.
Speaker 6: Perfect.
Speaker 4: There is twelve acres, three bedroom, two baths, twenty seven hundred square feet. It's only listed like at five point forty. It has nothing but forest around it. It's super isolated here.
Speaker 6: I'm there.
Speaker 4: It's got like a garden in the front.
Speaker 6: I'm sold.
Speaker 4: There are trees for days. There's a huge front porch.
Speaker 6: Stop telling people about this place. If I could sell everything I own and move and not talk to another soul for the rest.
Speaker 4: Of my life life ceiling, two floor, all.
Speaker 7: Wood, I'm telling you I got I would move to a secluded place and not took to another soul for the rest of my life.
Speaker 6: I'd be okay with that.
Speaker 4: Well, you still have to talk to our friends podcast.
Speaker 6: I talk to you, I don't talk to them.
Speaker 4: Okay, sorry, I'm going to be looking on Zilla, but I'm also listening to your story.
Speaker 6: To listen to my story. Now Cheryl has disappeared.
Speaker 7: We're concerned, what I say, The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation are investigating. So guess what they bring in. They bring in Cheryl's They call him her common law husband, Eddie.
Speaker 6: Eddie does not seem there is no whoo whooping there.
Speaker 4: It is no this guy. We're yeah, not to give anywhere, but he's not cool.
Speaker 7: I probably she just seems like a crazy character. Okay, So they start questioning Eddie, what's going on? You know, where was Sheryl? When did you last see her? He they pretty much they don't tell us the exactly what he said. His story is not making sense. They bring him in again on March tenth. So now we're, you know, about a week after this is all that this has happened. They are trying to get to the bottom of this, and they're like, listen, tell us what's going on.
Speaker 6: So Eddie says, look, in late February, he.
Speaker 7: Took Cheryl to Knoxville to a hospital to get some treatment done for cancer. Supposedly, it was a week long treatment for stomach cancer. But when they asked, well, what was the name of the hospital, he can name it right, And they find out that Cheryl had been borrowing money from family members and friends for supposed cancer treatments.
Speaker 4: It's insane how many times people use cancer to take advantage of people.
Speaker 6: It's back then, though, it.
Speaker 4: Was say that is actually quite she was ahead of her hid which is not a brag.
Speaker 6: So they come to.
Speaker 7: Find out after they've already been doing the digging, Eddie's Story's now matched up because the week they were supposed to be in Knoxville at this cancer treatment, she was working at her truck stop in Chattanooga, which was her job at the time. He's like, so, how could she be in Chattanooga and Knoxville at the same time.
Speaker 6: She couldn't be.
Speaker 7: They they pretty much they put the screws Daddy. He's like, listen, we already know what you're telling us is BS, so spill the guts. So I'm getting to the next page of my notes and he broke and he said, Okay, if I tell.
Speaker 6: You what's going to happen, broke quick. Yeah, yeah, he keels over pretty quick. Yeah.
Speaker 7: He spills the beans pretty quick. He says, Okay, if I tell you what happens, what's.
Speaker 6: Going to happen to me?
Speaker 4: Like, uh, probably not good.
Speaker 6: Yeah, anyway, so he says.
Speaker 7: On March second, Cheryl comes home and says, listen, we need more money.
Speaker 6: I don't know what for. We don't get that information, but she clearly waiting.
Speaker 4: For them to be like there was a gambling problem or drug addiction or or insane debt. There never seems to be anything other than greed.
Speaker 7: That's what it appears from the story from what Yeah, Eddie's not working, she's working at the gas station or the truck stop. She comes on and says, we need more money, and I know where to get it from.
Speaker 4: He could get a job at any point.
Speaker 6: You are correct.
Speaker 4: I think even if he did, it wasn't going to satisfy.
Speaker 18: Well.
Speaker 6: I just I guess what I'm saying is if you already got this in your mind, you were going to get there eventually.
Speaker 4: I'm just the same thing. Motive obviously is important for human beings to rationalize, like how did this happen? These people are living in the backwoods, and I hear I'm not saying that as a knock on Tennessee. I love Tennessee, but they're listening. They're living in podunk middle of nowhere. We're cost of living I'm going to guess is next to.
Speaker 6: Actually in nineteen ninety one, that's what I mean.
Speaker 4: That was the time to live in Tennessee. Because now because everything's expensive, everyone moved away from Tennessee. Don't go there.
Speaker 6: It's terrible.
Speaker 4: It's terrible. You won't like it, but that's it's not you.
Speaker 17: Ain't heard about.
Speaker 11: Moto Casino.
Speaker 17: Moto has real Vegas slots. Any game you can find on the floor in Vegas, you can play it on Moto. I like my slots hot. Moto's free to play, like food stamps, in line at the grocery store, at a funeral, in traffic, keep guys on the road, hop on Moto Casino. If Mono Casino got jackpons that are bigger than my bed, Moto America's hotest free to play social casino.
Speaker 13: Download the Moto Casino up today. Moto Casinos the social casino boid with phabity No but just necessarily is it? Moto Docu West from Mortegas.
Speaker 3: Casino Medio Desno.
Speaker 11: Do you know more than your car?
Speaker 3: Is worth.
Speaker 10: It's your interest rate too high. Need a lower payment. Now Come in the Volkswagen clear Like and pick your promotion one. Trade in your car with our credit. We'll buy out program too. Upgrade to a new twenty twenty six Volkswag at least like the twenty twenty six Jenass for just one ninety nine.
Speaker 11: A month or three get our rate reduction.
Speaker 10: We're offering four point nine percent APR for eighty four months on early every DW on our lot. Pick your promotion today at Volkswagen clear Like. Visit bwaclear Like dot.
Speaker 14: Com call a FI five two two eight two six ninety for full details. Offers in June thirty at twenty twenty six.
Speaker 4: That's the other thing, too, is where she was living. Unless there was a drug habit, It's not like she was shopping at Gucci and ordering stuff on Amazon and pretending to be It makes no sense of her behavior other than simple.
Speaker 6: It was so what I'm saying. Yeah, I think if it wasn't that, it would have been something else.
Speaker 4: That got She just was not a good person apparently. Yeah, I mean to lie about cancer and.
Speaker 7: Then you're already spoiling these hurry so she says, we need more money. So they go and they buy a gas in they fill it up. They say they went to her parents' house first, and then they go to Joe and Maddie's house.
Speaker 6: Okay, and let me paint you.
Speaker 7: They have a single cab truck and the rein actor and I'm going I guess that they that this single cab, tiny Chevy yellow truck. They leave their six week old son and five year old daughter in the truck. As they get out, Eddie's telling the story. They're on the stairs going up to the house and she says to Eddie, did you bring the gun? And he's like, why do I need to bring the gun? She goes, because we're going to have to kill him. And then he says, do we really have to kill him? She's like, then, I'm just going to give the money up willingly. We're going to have to kill him. And according to Eddie, he doesn't really want any part of this whole story, but he does it anyway because of his common law wife, Cheryl.
Speaker 6: They walk in. Joe's on the couch watching TV. She's like, oh hey. Joe's like, oh hey, Cheryl, how's it going. She goes where you know, where's t oh She's in the back.
Speaker 7: Eddie or Eddie then walks up, boom shoots Joe on the head. Tea comes out, Boom shoots her in the head. They then take the bodies and shove it in there the trunk of their own car. Joe and Manny's car, and Cheryl their kids are in the truck in the driveway.
Speaker 6: I know, I guess.
Speaker 7: Supposedly Cheryl told Eddie go tell the kids to get down on the floorboards, because, like I said, they want the kids seeing them.
Speaker 4: I cannot imagine that these are like super safety cautious parents.
Speaker 7: Either it's a single cap truck and you're putting four people like a six week old six weeks old, I.
Speaker 4: Know these are human garbage.
Speaker 7: Back So Cheryl then gets in the car and drives it across the border to the Alabama to bridge Port Ferry along the Tennessee River, and she diches the car into the river. They get in their truck and they drive away. He then says, Cheryl returns to the house, steals one hundred and fifty thousand dollars from the house, or just goes to show these people have all this money what hidden in their house because it's probably cheap to live in.
Speaker 6: These people are just simple people giving a service to the community.
Speaker 4: Yes, absolutely, and I bet if they asked, yeah, they would have helped her nace out. Yes, I'm sure they would have. They seem like those kind of people. Clearly, do we ever find out why she went to her mom's house? First? Do you think that her mom now dodged a bullet? Like literally speaking I have no idea, makes you wonder, Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 7: So steals one hundred and fifty thousand dollars hat from the house and then sets the house on fire, but the house doesn't burn.
Speaker 4: So these people literally can't do anything right. So they can't parent, rite, they can't license, they can't set a house on fire correctly, like they are idiots.
Speaker 7: Yeah, the inside of the house burns because you actually see, like file they say file footers, you see the inside of the house and it is charred. But for some reason, the whole house doesn't go up in flames. And they never say why, I mean, but it doesn't. So obviously they're there. They're investigating. Cheryl comes back to the scene two days later, which he is a psychopath, because that is what. Well, I think she comes back and realized this, holy crap, the house didn't burn to the ground.
Speaker 4: You didn't stay and wait and watch.
Speaker 6: And guess what. The investigators pull out of the house.
Speaker 18: And share start in the re enactment. They pull out the gas can, the gas can. Guess what's on the bottom of the gas can? A thumbprint?
Speaker 4: Literally, plain is David didn't even have to dust for it, you guys.
Speaker 7: I guess yeah, Like they're showing it at least in the reenactor like, oh, hey, check this out. We got a fingerprint, yea. Guess what it matches the thumb print of Cheryl Holland guess what? Then Cheryl does own disappears.
Speaker 4: And I will say this again, no shade of these cops, but once again, this is a tiny well you said what, there's like one police officer or something in this.
Speaker 6: Sheriff called the right people. That's what they came in and within by March March tenth, so within a week. But that is what I mean is that they were on this immediately. Obviously these criminals are idiots too.
Speaker 4: They literally thought that they probably got away with it scott free and within ours if not a day or two, they were on the right track. But yeah, this sheriff in a tiny little town, being a of one person. Probably this was way outside of his work.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, I need I need more expertise anymore. Any more.
Speaker 4: People that are could say that more often.
Speaker 6: Let's what I say. This sheriff deserves a lot of credit. He said.
Speaker 7: Listen, and he noticed something's wrong. Obviously, that inside of a house is something terrible's happened. This is now getting too too far into what I'm capable of doing. Let me call the right people, and the right people come in and they do a good job, and the right people are.
Speaker 4: Able to figure out pretty quickly that they've got two idiots that they're looking for.
Speaker 6: They've got her thumbprint instantly. Yeah, so so she gone.
Speaker 17: You ain't heard about Moto Casino. Moto has real Vegas slots. Any game you can find on the floor in Vegas, you can play it on Moto.
Speaker 6: I like my slots Hot.
Speaker 17: Moto's free to play. Like food stamps in line at the grocery store, at a funeral in trap and keep grounds on the road, Hop on Moto Casino. Moto Casino got jack ponds that are bigger than my bed. Modo America's hot. It's free to play Social Casino.
Speaker 13: Download the Moto Casino AUP today Moto Casino Social Casino boid. We're phiboited now, but just a thirty visit MOTODOCU West Mortigate.
Speaker 3: Casino been dug.
Speaker 19: There's nowhere I wouldn't go to help someone customize and save on car insurance with Liberty Mutual, even if it means sitting front row at a comedy show.
Speaker 16: Hey everyone, check out this guy and his bird. What is this your first day?
Speaker 9: Oh no, we help people customize and save on car insurance with Liberty Mutual.
Speaker 6: Together.
Speaker 11: We're married. Need to a human, him to a bird.
Speaker 16: Yeah, the bird looks ound of your leg.
Speaker 9: Anyways, get a quote at Libertymutual dot com or with your local agents Liberty.
Speaker 7: So they then do go to the Tennessee River and April seventeenth, they find the car.
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 7: Inside the trunk of the car is the body that breaks my goals shark in the head.
Speaker 6: Yeah, terrible, Yeah it is. It's awful. So they finally car, they get him out. So Eddie's charged with first degree murder.
Speaker 7: They issue a warrant for Cheryl as they are now trying to track her whereabouts.
Speaker 6: They do tell this.
Speaker 7: It's kind of weird, but they're just they're trying to say, hey, listen, this is what we know so far. Cheryl was supposedly seen at a gas station being followed by a bearded man. Didn't look like she wanted to talk to him. Supposedly they had witnesses saying that he was in a truck following her. So they like, they get Bill Pope and there he's like, listen, this is what we know. He might be involved or he might not.
Speaker 6: We don't know.
Speaker 7: Was she forced by this guy, But at the end of the day, we believe she's involved in some way.
Speaker 4: She's with a bearded man somewhere, so she.
Speaker 7: Was either abducted by him and maybe he was forcing her, we don't know, or she connocted this whole plan.
Speaker 6: Yeah, at the end of the day, we want to know.
Speaker 7: I will say, does break my heart because Cheryl's sisters interviewed and she believes wholeheartedly. My sister, I don't think did this. I think Eddie did something to her. She was forced into this. She was just trying to protect her kids, and she even thinks, I don't even think. I think Eddie probably killed her and Jesus. So that's where also mysteries leave us. Eddie Wilton is at.
Speaker 4: This time half of yeah, half of the duo has been caught.
Speaker 7: Being charged with first degree mr. They want Cheryl. Clearly, she is involved to some extent.
Speaker 4: We have some questions for her.
Speaker 6: She's got a fingerprint on a guess can and I mean, here's the thing.
Speaker 4: Where are the children?
Speaker 6: They I don't know. They interview.
Speaker 7: The brother in law and he says, listen, Eddie has only been in the picture for a year. He didn't even know that Joe and Maddy had cashed at the house. He wouldn't have even known. Cheryl is the only one that knew. He thinks one hundred percent Chryl's involved. Yeah, he says, this guy hasn't even been around long enough to know the ins and outs of our family. Got it Okay, So that's where's misters. We're looking for Cheryl.
Speaker 4: What are the of the date of state?
Speaker 6: Within an hour of the broadcast?
Speaker 4: I love when I hear that.
Speaker 7: Within an hour of the broadcast, they collin, Hey, we think we know Cheryl She's an employe at a gas station in Austin, Texas. They interview the deputy she shows up, says, hey, lady, are you Cheryl Holland? She goes, yes, I am. She places her under arrest. Cheryl Holland then says to her boss, I got into trouble. Yeah, because they interview her boss.
Speaker 4: We're going to be making it to work.
Speaker 7: She was working under the name Amy Forrester, had a fake ID, living a whole new life in Austin, Texas. Which that's why I say the whole beard man that like, they were telling that because at the time, they're just they were trying to track her whereabouts that she was last seen and they didn't know. It's clear she just took a new identity and high tailed it to Austin, Texas. She's brought back to Tennessee. She's charged for first degree murder. She is facing the death penalty. Guess what Cheryl does. She pleads guilty to two counts of first degree murder. I did my research. I found out they offered they offered her as she pled guilty to first degree murder, they would take the death penalty off the table. Both her and Eddie pleaded guilty to first agree murder. They both were sentenced to life in prison.
Speaker 6: So Cheryl was involved.
Speaker 7: Cheryl had a major part in this and to the point where she was she pleaded guilty. Eddie has died in prison. I looked it up. Cheryl is still in prison. I found her picture, found her record in the Tennessee prison system. She's eligible for her first parole hearing in twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 4: Ooh, interesting. Well, we'll have to keep an eye on check and see if she's able.
Speaker 6: I hope she doesn't get it.
Speaker 4: I hope she doesn't either.
Speaker 6: She shot her aunt and uncle in the head. I'm not say she was part of a plan.
Speaker 4: She orchestrated the whole thing.
Speaker 6: She could have been the one to pull the trigger. We have no idea. At the end of the day, they're both responsible. They both texted me with their two children in the car and all to steal their aunt uncle's money. Like I don't know, I just yeah, it was funny, because not funny, it just it was sad. They tell them when they found the car and the sheriff comes out, and it is clear that this sheriff hasn't had to deal with a lot of terrible things, and that makes me happy. Yeah, because he says he was the one that had to identify the bodies, and you can see it in his eyes. He was tore up, Yeah by having So.
Speaker 7: Why I'm saying that is it is clear that these were very good people, a very big part of that community, and that lady and her common law husband.
Speaker 4: What the f ever, dude, they are losing cold blooded murder for no flipping reason.
Speaker 7: So now she's got her parole, her first parole hearing in twenty twenty seven. I hope she doesn't get out.
Speaker 4: I hope it's tolet me to send an email. I'm really good at sending emails for people that are about to come up for parole and say why I think they shouldn't.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, I just I do hope she does spend the rest of her life in She to ice on an updated picture.
Speaker 6: She looks old, and she does now look like prison has been kind to her.
Speaker 4: They don't have botox in prison. That's your story, all right, Before we get into my story and our last story. I thought it would be fun to read a few of our reviews SOD. The title of the review is love and This is from a pod Junkie nine and it said happy to have found a new podcast to binge explanation mark, thank you pod junkie nine. Okay. And then the title of this review is for Unsolved Mystery fans and it is from the reviewer bashful Mama. That sounds kind of spicy. Bashful Bashful Mama says, I loved Unsolf Mysteries when I was growing up. The best part of the podcast is rehashing it with friends. Sierra and Ben make the pod feel like a conversation between friends. I love the updates. Some of these stories have stuck with us for a lifetime, and the update reminds us of that. Hope, I think that's awesome. Yes, bashful Mama, I'm glad that you're sitting around. I literally said to Ben today. One of the things I love about our podcast, at least I hope our listeners is it they feel like they're sitting around having a conversation with friends. We got a little while last week, because can we all just talk about Ben's giggling last week? If I'm really good at tech, maybe I'll cut in. I'm going to say it, and I'm just gonna start dropping it in. I think so for anyone who listened to last week, I actually cut quite a bit of the giggles out. But Ben, no joke, you guys is belly laughing, which I'm sure most of you guys know right now by now that you feel like you know Ben pretty well, that's not a common occurrence.
Speaker 7: I don't belly laugh a lot of things. But I lost it last week. So I asked for and it wasn't.
Speaker 4: Well, if you would like to be in charge of the editing, then you can.
Speaker 6: I might have to.
Speaker 4: Maybe that's what I need to start doing, guys. I need to play Ben's trick on himself and just do things that make him uncomfortable enough that he's like, I'll just do it myself. Don't tell Ben that that's our plan. Okay, this is the last one I'll read for I think every every week I'm going to try to read a few. So the title of the review reads the og true crime and this is from VOD girl, and this one you'll like. I like the skeptical oh excuse me, coughed. I like the skeptical take in parentheses, especially from the husband.
Speaker 6: Am I the husband? Yeah?
Speaker 4: On Unsolved Mystery episodes which is still televised television good even with their flaws. I love the episode reviews.
Speaker 6: Do you think she means our flaws or the show's flaws.
Speaker 4: Which are still televised on Unsolved Mysteries episodes which are still televised, uh, which are which are Oh my gosh, you guys, this should not be this difficult. Why can't I read tonight? I like the skeptical take, especially from the husbands on Unsolved Mystery episodes which are still television good even with their flaws, which I'm gonna guess she meant to say, which is still good television and she just got the two words backwards. Are still good like television, even with their flaws. We've called out Unsolved Mystery for some of their things that are problematic, and I also love the episode reviews. I'm going to guess the reviews that we give when we like talk either good or bad about them. Okay, so those are three of our latest reviews. Hop on Apple podcast is the place that you can leave like a review with a rating. If you guys comment on Spotify and you leave like a fun comment, I can also read those out into the ethernet okay, So I'm gonna tell you guys about a bink rubbery. So we get at the top of the show. Robert Stax comes on, looking sharp with his trench coat and says, according to the FBI official reports, on any given day, at least forty banks are robbed at gunpoint, full stop. So I googled because I was like that that is a's a that's a lot of banks getting robbed at gunpoint. Forty per day is the average. So according to twenty twenty three FBI Bank Crime Statistics, there was about there were one two hundred and sixty three reported bank robberies in the United States, averaging out to three point four to six robberies per day nationwide. This is a significant decline from the past decades, and the vast majority of these actually are unarmed robberies.
Speaker 6: So I listened to a podcast a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 4: Okay, and about sixty percent of the cases are cleared, which means forty percent of people are getting away with robbery. That's a I mean, if you're gambling on odds, no.
Speaker 6: Negative.
Speaker 7: So I just time I've mentioned this podcast, he says, I don't listen to a couple of podcasts, none of them true crime.
Speaker 4: I guess technically this is the kind of what true crime podcasts do you listen.
Speaker 6: To your mother?
Speaker 7: I'm supposed to say, I'm self compalled. It's called Infamous America. Great podcast, And he did like a six part series on the North Hollywood pink robbery, which is if you don't know anything about it, go worry about it is a wild and there's footage out there it. But he was talking he talks about in the beginning, like in the nineties, eighties and nineties bank robberies they were escalating massively, and also that it was it was rising with guns and violent, violent robbery.
Speaker 6: So this was a thing.
Speaker 7: Now it is definitely because banks have done a lot more to combat this, and obviously law enforcement's done a really good job to combat it.
Speaker 6: But yeah, like back then this was a problem.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just think it's interesting that there's actually most of them are unarmed. What are you going in there than in doing?
Speaker 6: You see it?
Speaker 7: Like they come in, they slide and nope, they have their hand in their pocket, I guess. And at the end of the day, if you're a teller, there's no part risk. Why no it's not your money. I don't blame you, don't don't risk it.
Speaker 4: Even when I worked at the freaking Gap, maybe I should be giving secrets away. We were told like, even if you see someone like loading up their purse with inventory, it is not worth your safety or your risk to try to intervene with that. And so yeah, same way with that. Okay. So November thirteenth, nineteen ninety one, two armed bank robbers enter a bank in Henderson, Nevada. That's where our brother in law is from, Henderson, Nevada, an hour before opening. Okay, the bank manager, who is there, I think at the time by himself, felt that the robbers were experienced because they understood bank procedures. The robbers knew that the manager only had half of the vault combination and that they would have to wait for the vault. Tell her to arrive because she would have the second half of the combination and she was set to arrive at eight am. The first robber forced her to open the vault to help, like, so he he's there, gets him, makes him basically stand there and chill and be cool about it until the second lady come until the second person comes in who tries to leave out before the banks. Yeah, they go in. Only the manager's there.
Speaker 17: You ain't heard about Moto Casino. Moto has real Vegas slots. Any game you can find on the floor in Vegas, you can play it on Moto.
Speaker 3: I like my slots.
Speaker 17: Hot Moto's free to play. Like food stemps in line at the grocery store, at a funeral, in traffic, keep you grays on the road ip on Moto Casino. Moto Casino got jackponds that are bigger than my bed. Moto America's Hot.
Speaker 6: It's free to play Social Casino.
Speaker 8: Download the Moto Casino up today.
Speaker 13: Moto Casinos the Social Casino boyd with phibited No but just necessary visit Moto Docu, West, Mortigas Casinos, Cacine.
Speaker 19: Then, Doug, there's nowhere I wouldn't go to help someone customize and save on car insurance with Liberty Mutual, even if it means sitting front row at a comedy show.
Speaker 16: Hey, everyone, check out this guy in his bird. What is this your first day?
Speaker 9: Oh no, we help people customize and save on car insurance with Liberty Mutual. Together, we're married, me to a human, him to a bird.
Speaker 16: Yeah, the bird looks sound of your leg anyways.
Speaker 9: Get a quote at libertymutral dot com or with your local agents.
Speaker 4: They understand that he only has access to half a coat. They tell him play it cool as she comes in. That literally the moment she comes in her play it cool, bro, They grab her and they force both of them to open the vault. As the first robber stole the money. The second robber is holding up the teller for the vault manager that comes in. As they are standing there, two other tellers walk in. What a way to start your morning. Now you're literally probably been up for forty five minutes to an hour. You got your heels on, you got your coffee, you got your lunch backed. This is a bad freaking day at work and you walk in. In the moment you walk in, there's some crazy man in a terrible halloween mask with a gun telling you to stand against the wall.
Speaker 6: Do you think they walked in and saw.
Speaker 4: Like, I'm out, I don't want to deal with this today, I know, just turn around leave. Yeah. So we don't know exactly when because no one tells us, but at some point it seems that one of the employees is able to set a silent alarm, and as it's activated, and again I have a lot of questions about protocol around this, but this seemed to be the standard of the time. The police, instead of necessary responding right away, they they police dispatcher calls the bank to see if there's an actual robbery going on. I saw It's funny, because what are you supposed to say when you pick up that phone call, like, yes, we're being robbed, Like you got a gun at your back? Cool?
Speaker 6: I would imagine.
Speaker 7: They're told like, if anything seems off by the conversation, I'm sure.
Speaker 4: I just think it's like to me, I don't know, it just seems like counterintuitive a little bit. So okay, the police dispatch calls the bank, and the bank manager answers, and when the dispatcher asks if everything all right, he answers. I suppose the dispatcher took that as to mean that something wasn't correct. So the manager then gets off the phone and tells the robbers that the person calling was from the store across the street and they were concerned about a few things, and they had some questions, and so that he needs to go over across the street to have a conversation and straighten some stuff out or they might call the police. Pretty smart, pretty smart, I will say I this, I did not do anything wrong. But he has three females tied up against a wall and he's the only man in this situation, and he's like, oh, I gotta go by, and so he and he said, she in the calm down. I'm gonna get there, Ben, he says, and the thing like this was one of the hardest things he felt he had to do, but he wanted to also like get out so he could let the police know that there was a problem, because.
Speaker 6: He says, it's on the phone with the police that you got to be hanging up the phone and thinking did they get the message the message or did they not? Yeah, And then he's trying to use this as an opportunity to say I have to let someone know, someone that can do something.
Speaker 4: No, so he leaves the building and goes out and actually meets with officers who by now have been dispatched to the parking lot. And we're the people giving the interviews are from the bank robbery. They're the tellers, the employees, and they're in shadow. This was obviously this was I mean you are thinking you were this is your last day on earth. This was very traumatizing. And at this point they're being interviewed. These men have not been cut, so they're in shadow, and they share that the other robber, the second robber, who was only seemed to be their only job was to be with the hostages, is getting more and more agitated, which I am sure is so nerve wracking, and he is worried that the robbery is taking too long, and it's like mumbling under his breath and acting really erratic, and the first robber comes out and decides to take the vault teller hostage. This because we're gonna find out the FI believes that these two men are connected to a series of robberies as of yet, as of this one, no hostages had been hurt or removed from the scene. So he comes out, he tells his partner grab one of the three women. We're taking her with us. And then, for some reason, I mean, thank goodness, really enough, the second man, who had been kind of agitated and getting a little nervous, rips his mask off and throws it on the ground, full face, going full frontal in front of everybody. No, no, Is that just going to be your response now anytime I write a good joke about full frontal or anything, and you're just going to say no to me?
Speaker 14: That was.
Speaker 4: That was genius writing right there. That's not I'm gonna just drop in Bend's laugh full frontal. I could use that laugh to my advantage every time I make it.
Speaker 6: Deleting that episode, it's never going to exist after this week.
Speaker 4: So he takes his mask off and leaves the bank. So there's two robbers and a vault teller. They eat her in the back of the car, hop in the front and take off. Sounds like the other two vault tellers are left inside the store managers with police. Okay, is everyone on the same page. So we get interviewed from the Henderson That's who it is, right, Henderson Police Department. Yeah, Henderson Police Department. This guy looks like you couldn't be more than a day over fourteen years old, and he is interviewed and he tells us that after driving for several minutes, the robbers drive through a large apartment complex. And the thing about this apartment complex is that the parking lot is very complicated. It has a lot of dead ends, and a lot of things that don't necessarily get out the exit. They believe that these men had cased this parking lot beforehand, because they were able to go through kind of the maze of the parking lot and get out on the other side.
Speaker 6: I agree with that. I think anyone's been in a large apartment compus.
Speaker 4: There's no streets, there's no like directions, So you were wandering around. Did you ever have to deliver pizzas to like large apartments.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, if you didn't know, like because you would be told the building and the apartment number. But half the time the buildings were not in order. Did you feel life were.
Speaker 4: Burnt out where they could get lost? Yeah, So I thought that was interesting. So the police actually like almost like this is like that game mousetrup. The police ended up like getting turned around and like getting stuck in certain parts of the parking lot, and the robbers are gone. They're able to like get through no problems. So then at that point they are able to switch to a quote unquote getaway car, release the hostage. At this point they chuck her out of the car. She's interviewed and she says that like once she got in the car. She lood the best thing she could do, and I think this probably saved her life. She put her head down and just like buried her face because it was almost like if I don't know what's going on and I don't see them, then they don't have a reason to like dead men tell no telles sort of thing.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 6: She was afraid they were going to kill her, which is a valetir. They just took her from.
Speaker 4: The bank at gundo point and they're acting like crazy.
Speaker 6: People, so you've got to imagine the worst thing is going to happen to you.
Speaker 4: So authorities believe that the two men that held up the Henderson Bank are responsible for ten other bank robberies from nineteen eighty six to nineteen ninety one, and in every case their disguise had successfully concealed their identity. They wore these like masks. They show up a blurry picture of them at one point of them, like from surveillance from a inside of a bank. The mask is very creepy, like yeah, from that time, like nineteen eighties Halloween mask and that morning though, you guys know joke. There is a woman who is a news reporter I think for a local newspaper, and her name's Catherine Scott. She has in her possession a police scanner, and she is wes most reporters would have done at that time. Is sitting at our news desk that morning, probably thinking of something to write. I don't think a lot of crazy things happen in Henderson.
Speaker 6: Technically you have a police scanned.
Speaker 4: Okay, I don't anymore? Did you recently? Side note, side quest, come with me on this journey. Pima County Post the Nancy Guthrie case and tusam Pedie scrambled their police scanners and they no longer are able to be used on any of the police scanner apps. Encrypted is the word I was looking for, not scrambled. Yeah, they're encrypted, but only because of well conspiracy theory is is because it's a the Nancy Gouthree thing.
Speaker 6: Because I'm just saying now, there's apps for.
Speaker 4: There's apps that you can pull up police scanners and listen to like what is happening right now in like Hodunk, New Jersey, or and you can listen anywhere, and which I mean, I'm sure would be a really fun experiment every once in a while to be like, oh it's three in the morning over on the East Coast, what's happening in some of these little tiny towns. But yeah, I just found this out because I've got I've got a contact that is a reporter, like an investigative Facebook sort of YouTube reporter who is local who That's the person I reached out to when there was a shooting at the mall that we were at and sent him a message and he was actually like telling me what was happening at the mall before I saw the reports of what was happening, because he was listening to the police scanners at his house, and so he is struggling right now because he would post like, hey, stay out of this area, avoid these things because this is happening on the police scanner right now, and post Nancy Guthrie. Only like two weeks ago, Pima County and Tucson Pete encrypted their scanners so we can't listen to them anymore, which I got a lot of thoughts on. But that's another podcast for another day. As one would say, Okay, so yeah, missus Scott is just doing her due diligence. She's a news reporter and she hears something juicy coming across and that is that there are two men driving a stolen vehicle or a getaway car, and they are they believe that they are headed along Sunset Road, heading in a certain direction, and she's like, well, shizz, that's right down the street from my station. So she, in the reenactment, has her ginormous radio tucked underneath her arm. She has got a old fashioned camera, like the kind you wood roll like back then.
Speaker 6: It was not old fit.
Speaker 4: It was very yes, new times back then. And she is high stepping it out to her car in her heels and everything. And she gets in her vehicle and no joke, she's interviewed and she is telling us this story in all of the nineties glory outfit that she has on. The hair they make up the outfit. She even had a brooch on. It was incredible. She is saying that as she is driving, let's just stay north, she sees a vehicle driving at a wrapid rate of speed south and she recognizes it as the vehicle that had been described on her radio. And she starts to be like, oh my gosh, I've got a camera in my hand. I can take a picture. But if I take a picture, these people might see that I have a picture, and then they might pull up their weapons and then they could shoot me. But I could also do the right thing. I need to take this picture. And she goes back and forth. She said, almost time slows down, and that she's like having this internal debate. And finally, at the very last second, as they're driving south and she's heading north, she pulls up her camera in the in the roll down window as they're driving by, and just like click one click, because you couldn't rapid fire cameras back then, and just keeps driving out and I'm sure her heart was boom boom, boom, boom boom. I was expecting this picture to be the most ridiculous, blurry thing you'd ever seen.
Speaker 6: It wasn't as bad as I.
Speaker 4: Thought, I agreed. I was actually quite impressed with at the greatest speed, that she was going one way and they were going the other, that this was able to capture anything. So she is literally the hero of the day. She has this picture, she's able to turn it over to the FBI. The FBI is able to take the picture and CSI and hands it zoom zoom, zoom zoom. They get a pretty good look at this guy. It's of course a side profile because he's driving the vehicle, and from that they're able to give us a composite and that is where unsolved mystery leaves us.
Speaker 6: Okay, who rubbed this bank?
Speaker 4: Okay, let me tell you update.
Speaker 16: Update.
Speaker 4: They are captured, not necessarily due to unsolved mysteries though, so suck you guys.
Speaker 17: You ain't heard about Moto Casino. Moto has real Vegas slots. Any game you can find on the floor in Vegas, you can play it on Moto.
Speaker 3: I like my slots.
Speaker 17: Hot Moto's free to play, like food stamps, in line at the grocery store, at a funeral, in traffic, keep gruys on the road, hop on Moto Casino. If Moto Casino got jackpots that are bigger than my bed. Moto America's Hot it's free to play Social Casino.
Speaker 8: Download the Moto Casino up today.
Speaker 11: Moto Casinos the Social Casino.
Speaker 13: I thought you up phav it no, but just necessariy this in Moto Doocu West from Morte Hits Casino.
Speaker 6: The cassine been dug.
Speaker 19: There's nowhere I wouldn't go to help someone customize and save on car insurance with Liberty Mutual, even if it means sitting front row at a comedy show.
Speaker 16: Hey, everyone, check out this guy in his bird. What is this your first day?
Speaker 9: Oh no, we help people customize and save on car insurance with Liberty Mutual. Together, we're married, me to a human, him to a bird.
Speaker 16: Yeah, the bird looks out of your leg anyways, get.
Speaker 9: A quote at libertymutul dot com or with your local agents Liberty Liberty, Liberty.
Speaker 4: Buckle up because this gets crazy, not that that hasn't already been crazy enough, but November eleventh, nineteen ninety seven, nebraskaty seven. Yeah, they got away with this for another six years. Yeah. So, Nebraska State police stop a car for speeding. The driver appeared to be very nervous and handed police a fake driver's license, while at the same time, there was a little canine pup in the car. And he gets out, and this canine dog is police dog. Officer. Puppy Face begins barking wildly at a suitcase that appears to be in the back seat the car. The officers open up the bag and find one point eight million million dollars. This man has a suitcase full of cash in his car, The driver turned out to be a man named William Arthur Kirkpatrick, which is weirdly a really good like strong name. Arthur kirk Kirkpatrick, Kirkpatrick kerr K I r K so not Kirk's but kirk Patrick Kirkpatrick one of two men that the FBI had dubbed quote the trench coat robbers.
Speaker 6: Okay, the trench coat robbers, yeah, unsolved, I.
Speaker 4: The irony of it all, okay. So, with help from Kirkpatrick's girlfriend, the FBI are able to identify and locate the second man, Raymond Lewis Bowman. He was serving a twenty four year prison sentence, but then died behind bars in twenty eleven. Kirkpatrick pleads guilty and was sentenced to fifteen years in prison. Has since been released. Cannot find that he has committed any other crimes at least under that name and been caught since then. Okay, I have some side quest information that no one has asked for.
Speaker 3: But I thought it was.
Speaker 6: Crazy unless you went on your side.
Speaker 4: Yes, so you don't want to listen to it, fine, scroll ahead, I don't care, but use spend. Use that skip button, but Ben doesn't have a skip button.
Speaker 6: I don't say, and I would never want a skip button for you.
Speaker 4: Okay, first off, I'm going to give some credit where credit is due. There was a post by someone named Partners in Crime on a Reddit sub thread. They also have a YouTube channel where she partners in Crime. I'm gonna guess it's female because I only read her transcript. I didn't go watch the YouTube of it. But she gives us the story of the trench Coat Robbers in detail, and so I'm going to read you her transcript. Vis this is her writing, not mine.
Speaker 6: One of her words. Yes, so her work.
Speaker 4: William Arthur Billy Kirkpatrick was a notorious shoplifter back in the nineteen seventies. Oh listen, it gets even better. He was well known to boost record albums and boost meant Steele, who would shoplift truckloads of recorded album and other goods and then fenced it to a popular record store in Kansas City named Tiger Records. Tiger Records, turns out, was a well known for always having the latest albums which sold for ridiculously below market value, up to seventy five percent off where other retailers were selling it. And then Tiger, the owner of Tiger Records turned out to be part of the Italian mafia and had several stable record boosters, So that is William the mafia is stealing records for the mob. So Tiger always had a long list of albums, watches, tennis rackets, and leather coats, among other things he needed, and he would ask William Kirkpatrick and several other.
Speaker 6: People, this is funny that a mob guy was selling tennis rackets. I agree, which it was part of a racket.
Speaker 4: Which was part of a racket. He stole my literally my shoke I had that written, which was kind of a racket. I'm so proud of myself, I know, oh my gosh, okay, which was kind of a racket.
Speaker 6: All right.
Speaker 4: So they would always so they would go with their personal vehicles and fill them up with these shoplifted items drop them off at Tigers. During one of those deliveries, Kirkpatrick runs into one of his lifelong buddies, Ray Bowman, who also had gotten into the business of being a booster for Tiger.
Speaker 6: So at this point this is not for Tiger, for the mob.
Speaker 4: In Kansas City, Missouri, of all freaking places, all right, So Kirkpatrick and Bowman. Yeah, this is why I had to tell you this. I'm so grateful for partners in crime for like giving us this deep dive, because it's ridiculous. Okay. So Kirkpatrick and Bowman had known each other for quite a long time and it didn't take him long for them to start getting into cahoots with each other. So Bowman was a big spender. He liked to dress an expensive clothing, splurge on club girls in quotations, so we all know what that means. Here's the best part. He also had a taste for cocaine and limousines, as one does.
Speaker 6: Limousines. Who gets such.
Speaker 4: An age thing like into limousines, isn't it.
Speaker 6: He probably wore a white shuit.
Speaker 4: I can only imagine this, and I bet there was chest hair and a gold necklace and for sure okay. And he loved to spend take his friends out to thousand dollars dinners. I wouldn't mind and like that in my life. So with Kirkpatrick also now being kind of drawn to life in the fast lane, it didn't take long for them to graduate from boosting stuff for the Italian mob to bank robberies. After the first few bank robberies. They soon perfected their craft. They were very careful. They resided in separate states to make it difficult for police to connect between the two. They always traveled to a different location for their next target. They never robbed any bank near or close to any of their locations or homes. They spent months blending in with locals while staking out and targeting the bank. They carefully planned their heights. They were armed with guns, wigs, fake beards, sunglasses, gloves, and several other disguises. Kirkpatrick and Bowman were always successful with each heights thanks to their careful planning and disguises. Still, one thing they always consistent in every robbery is that they were wearing trench oats. The FBI had no clue who they were, but they dubbed them the trenchcoat bank robbers. And in nineteen ninety seven, fifty seven year old Kirkpatrick and fifty three year old Bowmen set out to land the final score that they always do.
Speaker 6: Technically, well, this was up.
Speaker 4: In Washington, so this is not even like having to do with Nevada. So they check into a local hotel in Tacoma, Washington. They spend tons of time eating at the finest restaurants, even becoming regulars like at piano bars. They attend like high end concerts, and they carefully are surveying the Sea First Bank of Lakewood and pre highest activities lasted for a month. Finally they figured out the bank always collected a large amount of cash on payday from a nearby army base and Indio Indian casino that banked with these people, and the exit cash of branches of the other c First banks. So the day came around February tenth, nineteen ninety seven. Using a master key that he had crafted himself, Kirkpatrick steals a brand new jeep Cherokee Jeep of which they use to drive to the bank. So they dress in FBI hats, sunglasses and gloves and of course trench coats, and they even put an earpiece in with attached to a police scanner. So long story short, they go in, they are able to leave. They fill up duffel bags with four million dollars in cash weighing three hundred and fifty pounds. The FBI floods the city. They do roadblocks, searching every motel in the vicinity. Like they find the getaway car had been wiped down and like no prints and these two men, the trench Coat robbers, are nowhere to be found. They're gone. Kirkpatrick and Bowman had moved south, checked into a motel in Portland, Oregon, split the cash in half, gave each other a high five, and headed home, using two different routes to get back across the country.
Speaker 6: There's the thing, as long as.
Speaker 4: It's hard to say what I think you're gonna say it because I think emotionally there's a lot of damage done. Is that what you were going to say is like they didn't hurt anybody in these No one was killed.
Speaker 6: Yes, I don't know. I've never looked into the guys.
Speaker 4: It doesn't seem that they ever murdered anybody. No one was ever physically harmed in these robberies.
Speaker 6: I don't know. Man, that's wild.
Speaker 4: This is okay. I know that this is not part of the Unsolved mystories, but when I was reading this, I was like, this is incredibly fascinating. We are a true crime podcast.
Speaker 6: It's wild and crazy to me because you don't hear of crimes like that, and I.
Speaker 4: Think it's easy when there's like no one was physically hurt it definitely gives you and this and they weren't turning around in USA doing a lot of good things with this money either, but they weren't also doing terrible you know what, it's very kind of Robin hoodish in a way.
Speaker 7: You kidnapped a lady and the one and that was that like extremely traumatizing. Yeah, they wanted to be taken by gun put in the back of.
Speaker 4: Italy, a lot of terrible things to be like, well, I just this is fascinating to me.
Speaker 6: I think I do that it's an interesting story of just because you don't hear what you're reading sounds like a movie. Yes, like we have watched like Ocean's eleven and that, like yes, and you just don't think criminals are really that that well thought out and that patient.
Speaker 4: I had to start out with the mob or the mafia, like it's an extent.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So they each ended up with well over two million dollars. So the Transgrope made history because at that point they had pulled off the largest bank rubbery in the United States and technically had gotten away with it. But this is where the problem is. All of that cash eventually becomes somebody's undoing because how do you spend that kind of money without any record, especially in the kind of the more digital aid age that they're starting to get into, right Facebook marketplace, you start laundering money through Facebook marketplace. I did actually see side quest from our side Quest saw this lady walking around an antique store that she was like, how is this place in business? Because like everything in the antique store started at like one thousand dollars and like went up. It was like twenty thousand dollars for these things. And I commented on the thing, and I was like, I'm not saying that I would launder money by owning a ridiculously overpriced antique store, but I'm also not saying that wouldn't be awesome. So there's a business thought for you.
Speaker 7: You gotta think because an antique store, your records is that someone brought the.
Speaker 6: Senity, you sold it yep, yep, and that then you then sold it for ten thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: Yeah that's hey, business cats, just give us a kickback.
Speaker 3: Hi, uncle Laser.
Speaker 9: Here. America's built on fast cars, fast food, and even faster women.
Speaker 8: Photo casinos built in America. You know, if they're fast out, fast gas rise redemption, you see only Moto is US own and operator Moto.
Speaker 11: It's American maid Is.
Speaker 3: That's who we are and that's who we care about.
Speaker 8: Play for free at Moto dot us Moto Casinos.
Speaker 13: So the social casino boyd we're prohibited, No, just necessary to sit MOTODOCTU West for more details must be twenty one plus Casino.
Speaker 3: America, Social Casino.
Speaker 6: And Doug.
Speaker 19: There's nowhere I wouldn't go to help someone customize and save on car insurance with Liberty Mutual, even if it means sitting front row at a comedy show.
Speaker 16: Hey, everyone, check out this guy in his bird. What is this your first day?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 9: Now, we help people customize and save on car insurance with Liberty Mutual Together.
Speaker 8: We're married.
Speaker 11: Need a human him to a bird?
Speaker 16: Yeah, the bird looks sound of your league.
Speaker 9: Anyways, Get a quote at Libertymutual dot com or with your local agent Liberty Liberty.
Speaker 4: Okay. So this is where things start to unravel for this for the Trench Coats. So Kirkpatrick gives his girlfriend one hundred and eighty eight thousand dollars in cash to pay for a cabin that they were purchasing in rural Minnesota. So she puts the cash in brown paper bags and just hands it over to the builder. Okay, so Michael who is building this house and is holding bags of cash, him and the girlfriend get into a heated argument because they disagreed about some final touches in a highly customized cabin. This one could not just like let this go, so she starts a fight with a man that's holding a bag of untraceable or like unverified money because I'm going to guess this guy's like paying cash. I don't care. The problem is she tipped off the wrong person. She bit the hand that fetter, so he upset over the argument. Besides to report the bag of cash to the IRS.
Speaker 6: The builder.
Speaker 4: Yeah, As a result, the IRS pays a visit to the cabin and unfortunately these people are not able to verify any source of income. So Kirkpatrick at the time is there with his girlfriend and now the FBI is alerted. So while the IRS is investigating Kirkpatrick and his girlfriend in Minnesota, Ray makes a few silly mistakes of his own. First, he forgot to pay the owner of a storage unit, which how many times have we heard that where he stashed a bunch of guns and disguises. So the owner goes into the storage unit that had not been paid and finds obviously these things and says that they're suspicious, and he reports the storage unit to the AHF. The ATF then puts a wiretap in Bowman's phone where they heard suspicious conversation between Bowman and someone in Minnesota with the IRS at his front door. Kirkpatrick panics. He stashes the bulk of his cash from the robbery in a safety deposit back box in Las Vegas, and while he was afraid the authorities might discover the money, he drives one seven hundred miles to the bank in Las Vegas to retrieve the cash, only to get pulled over by the state trooper on his his way back to Minnesota. So does that make sense He's got to stash the cash in Vegas? He drives to Vegas to go get it. He's in a bank, it says, yep, that he had in a safety deposit box, because it's not like city in a bank account. No, it's in a deposit box. He goes there a seventeen mile drive. Books are there.
Speaker 6: Because the same if you walk into bank and says, I need to withdraw one point eight million dollars the bank, ga' mean like, sure, give me twenty minutes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, as we make the bank do hey, FBI, I think if even if you went in there with a bunch of cash and said, I'd like to I'd.
Speaker 6: Like to open depositing this. If they've been doing this for over ten years, you have been depositing it, and then you go like I need one by one point in the bank's in to go, sure safety deposits.
Speaker 4: Yeah. But on his way back to Minnesota, he it's pulled over for driving seven miles over the speed moment.
Speaker 6: That was a board cop and man, you shucks hit the jack to the cop.
Speaker 4: Hit the jackpote Yeah, absolutely, So he is caught with a car filled to the brim with cash. So Kirkpatrick's obviously on edge and didn't take long for state troopers to notice. So after searching the vehicle for what they assume is drug money, the state trooper also finds guns and disguises a pair of foot lockers with the bulk of Kirkpatrick's loot nearly two million dollars in cash. Wait, a pair of what foot lockers? I don't know, I thought as a cop like is that, Like, I don't think it was shoes. It's not like the store. You didn't have the store for well, the store.
Speaker 6: Doesn't sell foot lockers. They sell shoes from different I don't know anyways.
Speaker 4: Okay, it said, and a pair of foot lockers. I'm gonna guess that's the ankle things that you put that as the cops put around people's ankles, they lock your feet, they're foot lockers. What if I am right? Why what I'm talking about? When you know when bad guys have when they come into prison, you know, the actual chains that go around their ankles and they connect their legs together so they can't run away like shackles, shackles, they call them foot lockers.
Speaker 6: Really foot lockers.
Speaker 4: It makes sense their feet are locked in place.
Speaker 6: Just because.
Speaker 4: Okay, so he had foot lockers on him. Okay, so he's obviously immediately arrested, all right, and the state trooper bless Us Heart has no idea at this point that he has just nabbed one of the most infamous bank robbers and part of a duo from the Trench Coke bank Croppers and is high up on the FBI's Most Wantedless so his girlfriend comes to the courthouse with William Kerbretrick in jail. She's arrested and charged on the spot for conspiracy. Searching their cabin, they also uncover a picture of Ray Bowman and his family inside the cabin. Warrens are then issued for a search of Bowman's house, which they undercover more evidence that he had four hundred and eighty thousand in cash that is still bundled with the c first bankrappers on them. So the FBI, having all the evidence they could ever want a grand jury, immediately indicts the trench coat robbers, obviously seeing no way out of this, Like Peggy asks her boyfriend to tell the truth. He admits to the crime. So he pleads guilty to four out of twenty eight bankrupts. The FBI connected him too, but he can only be charged with three of them because statue of limitations had started to run out on some of these bank robberies. I love that there was twenty eight. He says, I'll take you for four, and then it turns out, okay, I can only take you for three because of statue of limitations. Can't they have Popland and the other robberies. I don't know those are just questions ahead. Thus he has sentenced to fifteen years and eight months in prison, and after that he served his full sentence and is released. On the other hand, Bowman didn't fare so well in prison because he got a twenty four year sentence and didn't make it out alive.
Speaker 6: So a foot locker is a chest.
Speaker 4: It's a chest, yeah, you like at the end the Pirates.
Speaker 6: It's just it's just a box you put at the end of the bed.
Speaker 4: Why would you call it a foot Oh, it's a locker at the foot of the bed.
Speaker 6: Nailed it.
Speaker 4: I like mine better. When I was like reading and writing this, I just assumed that's what a foot locker was.
Speaker 6: That he just had some he had some chef in the back and what you got there?
Speaker 4: And he's like, it's a foot locker.
Speaker 6: Obviously, obviously you lock your foot up.
Speaker 4: You're just one. This is how my brain works. And I just literally just I would have never questioned this.
Speaker 6: Just lock that one.
Speaker 4: It's because it's turning two feet into one their locker. All right, this is starting to go off the rails.
Speaker 6: Guys.
Speaker 4: Okay, that is our recap. I am so sorry. We're almost two hours of reporting time. I know, Okay, I had a question. Ben and I were going to talk about the possibility and theories of time travel. I don't think we have it in us for that tonight, So Ben, let's see why don't you tell me? Oh yeah, I guess If you don't want to hang out for a question time with Ben, feel free to exit stage right now and then for the rest of everybody, Ben, what's a simple question I can ask, what's something you're looking forward to this summer? Anything on the radar?
Speaker 6: Anything on the radar? Uh, I always enjoyed, Like I mean, Arizona summer suck. But yes, the only good thing that we get at Arizona is it gets hot enough to hang out in the pool. And we usually for us as a family, we have a pool in our backyard. And before you think that's like big bougie, it's pretty common in Arizona, Like a lot of houses have pools.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but we also have a lot of We do it, Brad, So.
Speaker 6: It's h Yeah, it's And I've been getting the pool cleaned up and getting it ready and we always have a couple of days. We're just as a family. We've got a big speaker. We put out there, get some country music playing. Sierra it's not a big swimmer, but she loves to layout and hang out in the layout in the sun, and me and the kids play in the pool. And I love those days where we don't really have a whole lot going on. We just have good food and we play some music and we swim in the pool. It's kind of like our kickoff to summer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and.
Speaker 6: Hang out in the hot tub, hang out in the pool, And I like those days.
Speaker 4: Yeah, They're a lot of fun, you know, just kind.
Speaker 6: Of care free. It's it's great.
Speaker 7: There are wonderful days, and I have really fond memories of It's we don't you know, because usually even once summer gets.
Speaker 6: Going on, these kids are busy.
Speaker 4: So obviously our kids only get several weeks of summer here. The school we're in is very short, very short summers. But and it's so hot that like a lot of normal outdoor activities we don't really get to participate in here, we do them now. Like last night I was at an outdoor concert and like we were in jeans and a T shirt and it was warm, like it felt like the fourth of July last night, where it wasn't it.
Speaker 6: It's nice weather.
Speaker 15: Yeah, and so to be able to get to do that is and yeah, we just I always tell people like, it gets kind of almost weirdly depressing here in the summer because we spend like two and a half three months almost inside ninety percent of the time.
Speaker 7: So everyone says, like, Arizona, you spend your inside time in the summer.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we spend our outside time in fall winter. I mean, we do get a lot of outside time because but it just feels.
Speaker 4: Weird when everyone else is like barbecuing and traveling and doing all these things. And literally we are at some days one hundred and fifteen, we're trying to find indoor stuff. Yeah, and it's because the heat here can be life threatening. It can people die every year from it. So to have days where we have no other major responsibilities, the kids don't have twenty places to be, everyone's home and stuff, and it's early afternoon, it's like, listen, let's make some good food, let's turn on some music, and let's just hang out and play in the pool is fun. I enjoy pool activities. I just don't enjoy splashing activities. And so when you guys get in the pool, Ben turns into a fourteen year old and it's like me and the kids play games. You guys, it is jumping a lot of stuff as half the pool water is out of the pool.
Speaker 6: But it's fun.
Speaker 4: It's totally fun, and I love getting to partast participate in that whilst I lay there in the sun and just get gold and brown. But yeah, other times you can usually find me in the pool when there's nobody else in the pool and I'm just there with my floaty, like and an ice cold diet coke because I have a pool floaty that has like a cup holder in it. But yeah, that's awesome. I'm excited, all right, what about you? I had the same kind of thing like I, and I will say I do love summer monsoon. It's something I've never experienced before. It's very kind of a very Selfwest thing.
Speaker 6: I love it.
Speaker 4: All of a sudden, these black clouds rule. I love stormy weather, and so to have these violent storms come through with thunder and lightning and dumps of rain. The only down side is they literally sometimes last sometimes minutes like four or five minutes to like maybe twenty thirty minutes the most. But it's really cool to see kind of that violent change in the weather. So all right, guys, well make sure to join us again next week where Ben and I reak up another episode of Bye.
Speaker 11: John Daily Here.
Speaker 17: You know what day it is?
Speaker 4: Neither do I.
Speaker 3: I live life daily.
Speaker 12: That's why I only spend on Moto Casino photos. Got daily free bonuses, daily tournaments, new slots out of daily in the best part, guaranteed daily jackpots. You can't beat that. So today's the day you'd RiPP in a spinding with me on Moto America's social casino play for free on Moto us.
Speaker 13: Mote Casinos, Tina Heavy, just a story this Moto doc us for motables download the motocsinof today must be twenty one plus.
Speaker 3: Mo Casino.
Speaker 20: Work a social casino, then, Doug, there's nowhere I wouldn't go to help someone customize and save on car insurance with Liberty Mutual, even if it means sitting front row and a comedy show.
Speaker 16: Hey, everyone, check out this guy in his bird. What is this your first day?
Speaker 9: Oh no, we help people customize and save on car insurance with Liberty Mutual. Together, we're married, me to to a human, him to a bird.
Speaker 16: Yeah, the bird looks sound of your league anyways.
Speaker 9: Get a quote at libertymutul dot com or with your local agent Celebrity celebrity.
Speaker 5: At trust Mark, we helped create vibrant communities through more than eight hundred local partnerships and over seven thousand volunteer hours annually. Because building up better tomorrow starts today, Trust Mark people you trust. Advice that works Number fdic