Speaker 1: Hey, welcome back to Pluck Vacation Unofficial Vinegar Syndrome Podcast.
Speaker 2: This is episode thirty two.
Speaker 1: As y'all know, we're using this as a as a platform to find the joy in unfettered creativity. This is a podcast dedicated to bringing awareness and context to movies of any budget, from anywhere and during any time. Eli, how you doing today?
Speaker 3: Doing great? Oh good? We're doing We're actually having back and forth before, but my on the spot answer is I'm doing good. Had a good new year. Watched a lot of the November December titles. Actually this past weekend I blasted through a bunch of them. Yeah, I watched. I watched Stunt Hall and Time Crimes and hadn't seen both in like almost twenty years, so they were very due for rewatches on that.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, well that's perfect. Lead And the other voice you're hearing is employee number one Vinegar Syndrome. He is the lead film scanning technician, restoration artist and a producer slash director for a Konoscope line newly announced sub label at VS Brandon Ebson.
Speaker 4: How are you, sir, I'm doing well. Thank you for having me on again. It's been a while.
Speaker 3: Absolutely yeah, so you've been at VS almost as long as it's been since I've seen time crimes in Stunhall Syndrome.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you min it's like five or six years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's amazing.
Speaker 1: Well, last time we were on is a bit more general, and we're trying to find the right time to kind of connect again. And I'm so glad that kind of scope came out because this gave us a perfect opportunity to hear from you again. But before we get too much into that line specifically, how you've been good.
Speaker 4: This year has been one of the one of the craziest years for twenty twenty five for me personally too, not only just you know, our regular Vinegar Syndrome slate and working with our great team of restoration artists and director and just different people working on everything, you know, and but not only that, and then all my weekends, all my nights, just getting I kind of scope ready as much asly possible. And it's not just me either, We have just everybody who has pitched in and helped out, and I've thanked a lot of them, and I'm like my social media and everything too. It's been it's been crazy getting it together, but this has been one of the busiest years ever. And then on top of all of that, like in September, I unfortunately had a miss I sell it a couple of conventions too for vinegar syndrome, and one is the local Connecticut one, and then also Chiller Theater in New Jersey. I had miss both because you know, thirty nine years old and all of a sudden, my appendix goes and what's funny is and this is true, my appendix burst. And I didn't realize it burst for four days and I was walking around I went to work, dude, I so, yeah, a little bit health wise in the past, I've had really bad kidney stones, and oddly enough, my appendix burst thing. And I'm sure people listening are like, what the fuck are you talking about? And that didn't feel as bad as kidney stones I had in the past, so I thought I just had bad food poisoning and I was just sloopy from that. And like the day after it burst, I felt great, like because and the doctor was like, well, yeah, because it bursts and you don't have pain now, but it's it's bad, like yeah, yeah, four days and all the doctors they're like how were you walking? Like anything didn't seem weird, and but I'm like, no, just it felt like I got punched in the kidney and I was recovering from that, Like it felt like I got a bruise on my right side for some reason.
Speaker 1: I'll meet you. I'll meet you on this one. Okay, I don't have I don't have an appendix story. But if we're telling gross medical stories, yeah, appropriate, it's appropriate for a vinegar syndrome podcast.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I got into ssectomy right yeah, yeah, and my boss started hurting like day two and getting bigger.
Speaker 2: But I was like, okay, this is part of the healing process. Again.
Speaker 1: We started getting bigger and bigger, and then by like day three or four, same thing.
Speaker 2: I just had these giant swollen testicles and it hurt.
Speaker 1: I was walking around like like bow legged, like you know, like a just and I couldn't close my legs and everything hurt.
Speaker 2: Telling I wasn't helping, and I.
Speaker 1: Was like, oh, I wonder if I should check a doctor that I went to the doctor. He's like, what are you doing, He's like, you're infected?
Speaker 3: Well yeah, look, hey, if if if people here haven't seen a bullet syndrome. Yet this is I feel like a great perfect People should go see a bullet syndrome because this is just a great like, uh, this is cat. This is cat too, if you will. The conversation is it's funny.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: Every person I know that had of a sectomy, I had one as well, but like I, it always has like a story about this, and I for some reason, mine was super seamless outside of the usual kind of like maintenance. But I'm like, damn, I was fully expecting to just have like a rough month, and shockingly, after like a week, I was, I was, I was back to like in full form, and so I wish I could join I. You know, I I do have other stories, but they're none of them are like medically fun. They're all just like, oh, you know what happened to me once when I was a kid. I just had a like that.
Speaker 1: I just think it's appropriate that we should call out that there's a lot of heart spoken right now, knowing that you just got to aseect me.
Speaker 2: So sorry, everybody.
Speaker 3: Good luck folks. If you were if you were lined up, well it's time to go find another suitor.
Speaker 4: Jeez. Yeah. But yeah, like no with what you're saying too, just everything anything medical. Of course it had to happen the year I'm watching trying to launch a label, you know, and it basically put me down for like a month recovering and everything, and and it was bad. And they're like, yeah, like we we did the surgery. Everything went well there, but like we we can't even guarantee one hundred percent you were like perfectly clean and and you're not gonna go septic again. And a week or two, so the next two weeks were like, oh, I can't do anything, like.
Speaker 1: And you know in the back of your mind that like people are having to pick up the work, and you're just like, come on.
Speaker 4: And I'm a guy. I I I do work from home when I have to, like in terms of just additional restoration whenever I can to like yep, help us, you know, get ahead, is it if we can. And but I love being with people in the building and just doing the film, you know. And so this one really sucked basically, but I recovered and then made it happen, you know, and it's basically I still kind of been on It's not even cloud nine necessarily. It's just like surreal that I kind of Scope has launched in general.
Speaker 1: Well, and let's pusitive for one secon and then let's just right back into that comment because I think I just want to get people a previous. So the reason you're on is kind of for two reasons, right, well three reasons. One because you're awesome, two because we want to talk about the new releases and every week that came out, and three is to talk about the launch of Iconoscope. But I feel like you've set this up perfectly, So do you mind kind of walking us through the origin of the idea and how it was getting the rights? And maybe I don't know how Warner Brothers plays into that, but if you want to talk about that at all, but I would love to just hear that story of what does.
Speaker 2: It take to launch a label within vinegar syndrome.
Speaker 4: So it all depends. I mean, they've been you know, I work with them for fourteen years, like close to fourteen years. The years are hard to hard to gauge at this point, but I love working with them. I love my job, I love doing everything I do, and when they came to me about this, I'm like absolutely, Like I also can't like we came to each other about this too, and because it is something that's been talked about in previous years. I know we had our uh going back aways, we had a oh man, it's a blur.
Speaker 3: What was televised? Sarah?
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've been waiting like a hawk to jump on that because I knew, I figured that was. I know that that that was. That was like a while back, like at least three or four years ago, I want to say.
Speaker 4: And those I just I love those films too. I love I mean, I've loved TV movies and just I I probably on average do watch more just television shows than movies in general, probably, but like those classic TV movies, I love them. I'm always you know, discovering more and more too for myself. That and I grew up, like I said, I'm thirty nine, and I grew up in the nineties. I And I'm sure you guys remember this too. When for some of the younger viewers out there, sometimes if you read TV Guide, they this is before the internet got started, not started, but before like trailers on YouTube or anything like that became a thing. They would premiere trailers on television and it was kind of a big deal. And kind of the little South Park joke or the whole like where they're waiting for the Terrence and Phillip at movie, the teaser to show Russell Crouch Show, but I stayed up watching for the Jurassic Park the Lost World trailer TV spot was announced it was gonna premiere for the Michael Bean Made for TV movie asteroid. I think it's yeah, and it's a wild one asteroid. I think hits Dallas, Texas, I believe, And it's it was, you know that it was. The film was like amazing. I thought it was great at the time. It's been it's been a few years since I rewatched it. But and but that was like a thing like you would you would watch TV because you didn't know when a teaser trailer was gonna premiere as it were. So but yeah, it was that, you know. And then in the nineties I watched all made for TV films and then kind of related. One of my favorite television versions, which I know Keno larber Uh put out semi recently, like they probably have the best version is the Needful Things three hour cut, which is you could only watch it on T and T. I want to say that way back.
Speaker 3: When, that's right, Yeah, I remember that very well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and with the commercials it was like four hours long.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it was a full it was. It was your Sunday afternoon. But when you're a kid at that age back then, with no like all right chair or like even even means of getting around, like that's how you spent a Sunday afternoon or even like a Sunday night at six o'clock because you know it'd be over at ten and like, and that was during like the peak Stephen King TV miniseriies movie series era. Yeah. Yeah, Storm of the Century, his version of the Shining and like other stuff like that.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, like all all of that stuff. And then I grew when I was growing up, when I was really young, and I Chris, I may have, I can't remember. I may have mentioned this a little bit in the first episode we talked about. But my when I was like god under ten, like between five and ten, my first exposure to horror movies was through of all people, my grandmother and my great aunt, because they loved watching like seventies and eighties horror movies, but they did not like watching them by themselves. It didn't matter I was five and ten parte to ten, I I saw a Texas chainsaw and ask a way way too young, like I because I remember the kin the wheelchair getting like chopped up. That still is in my brain seeing that when I was like way too young.
Speaker 2: But it's only supposed to have a PG rating, right, yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't know how, like yeah, it's crazy, but related it was that at that time period. I definitely somehow saw for made for TV films. Uh not which is funny, not Deadly Bees or the Killer Bees or the Savage Bees. I forget that's one of those. Is the original, but the sequel, uh Terror out of the Sky. Uh, somehow I saw that when it was a repeat obviously because it was made in the seventies. But and I I loved it like I loved it back then. I had the Blue right now from Keno two, and uh, it's just one of those where I was just like, wow, I can't believe, like these movies are out there and everything, but when you try to find a tape of it, A lot of the TV movies never made it to tape either. I didn't realize like that was a thing too. A lot of them did. But not a lot of them did not to this day, they still have it. You know, some are some are really tricky to check out. So going forward to now, yeah, since like televised tear, but also since another big favorite of mine I always champion as Moona the Wolf for VSA, I love that one too, And then we started talking about, you know, hey, what if we just concentrate on television, anything television related, whether it's a TV movie, miniseries, full episode series. You know, I want to that's what I want to work on too, and you know, we said, yeah, let's do it. And related around that time was when Warner Brothers was being you know, a deal was being made and which was great, and that's when we started looking you know, through their back catalog too and realized, oh man, we could do a lot of great things for this too, and alongside that, for what's coming out when people see this too. By the time people see this, the veil will have been announced outside of Don't Be Afraid the Dark. And not only do I love both of them and it was amazing to work on both of them and get everything out, but I think it kind of shows what we can do, like not just the big studio own stuff too, but also stuff that is. The Veil arguably has had plenty of DVD releases in the past, but they've all been kind of like scattershot, you know, some had a couple extra episodes, some did not, a lot of them did not have those. But the Veil is the first time it's the complete everything related to it, including the two versions of the pilot, which were one of them was really lost forever. But uh, we could get into that in a bit too, so but yeah, it since then, I'm just excited for what the future holds for Iconoscope and I'm hoping people dig it.
Speaker 3: So and it's all stuff that was I mean, I think this is an obvious answer, but I still want to ask it. It's all stuff that obviously was shot on film in some capacity, because that's kind of the that that fits with the VA I mean, because most TV movies really up until I would say the streaming era, or even like when when Cable had its like that kind of second Golden Age in two thousand and seven, you know that kind of like post Sopranos mad Men era, even a lot of those were shot on film. But but mostly everything I'm assuming is is shot on film. It's not like it's not like a degoser thing or anything.
Speaker 4: No, But at the same time, there may be out on video stuff as well.
Speaker 3: That okay, cool.
Speaker 4: Fits I kind of scope much more than something like even de Gouser necessarily, I'm I'm just gonna leave it at that. Sure, no fair enough, Yeah, but uh, it'll be probably I would say, still like ninety five percent all film, you know, so that even that shot on video might be few and far between. But uh, yeah, the you know, shot on film. I mean a lot of this is they're beautiful, you know, and like, don't be afraid the dark is they're When you see the bathroom, it's it's weird to say this, but when especially with the new four K transfer of it, it pops so much. Uh that bathroom interior almost looks like a thing out of Suspiria or our Gento at the same time, Yeah, and then you know, the little little guys show up and cause mayhem if we want to be let out.
Speaker 1: So that's a good question though, Brandon, how what are what are the names of the first ten as kind of I kind of scope tetas.
Speaker 2: I'm just kidding.
Speaker 3: I you and I for a second, I was like, no, Chris, what are you doing?
Speaker 1: It threw me for a loop, But no, just only joking. But that's so cool, you know I remember. Yeah, Don't be Afraid of the Dark was such a fun one to start with too. I feel like anybody over I don't know thirty five is it's just gonna have such a strong memory of that playing.
Speaker 4: Yeah. It's It's one of those where people just no way, even if they're not necessarily a TV movie fan that I've realized they just a horror fan in general. They're like, oh my god, I remember that. Like, and I've had a couple of people invest with me. They're saying thank you for releasing but they're like, oh yeah that, like it's so funny, like not Texas Chainsaw, not like the Fridays, But No, Don't be Afraid of the Dark fucked me up when I was like super young because I think and I kind of understand that, like, yeah, the leather face with a chainsaw, Okay, that's terrifying, but the but little demon demonic guys you might not know are right behind you that.
Speaker 3: Yeah in your house, Yeah exactly. Texas Chainsaw right with Texas chainsaw. It's like, oh they can, that's like far away. Yeah, there's some kind of you know, it's like this is closer to like Michael Myer's territory with people when they saw the First Halloween, where it's like, oh yeah, there's like a doorway probably a basement that got something got cemented up and they're just waiting. They're just waiting to come out and get me. Yeah, very very very creepy.
Speaker 4: But it's you know, we talked about this on the on the box too, but like, yeah, it's it's it's kind of your problem because you decided to open the door, which the handyman warned you not to. Yeah, we just leave the room alone. Just you don't have to do anything with it, just you know. And then yeah, it's like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, just don't do it.
Speaker 3: Don't do it well. And speaking of the Box, you guys went back to the VSA like it's like a tape, like a cassette being rented because TV movies used to you used to be able to rent them on VHS if they were popular enough.
Speaker 4: Yeah, now this I should point this out too, because we haven't really done a video on this. But uh, when people when people get it, they're gonna be like, oh wow, because it's it's it's gonna sound weird, but this is what it is. It's a slip within a slip, and it was I figured out, like we figured out how to make it work. And it's the coolest thing ever I think too. So uh it really kind of adds to that just kind of collectibility with it too. But I just wanted to do it like no one no one has tried it before either maybe they have, but I couldn't get it to work. But this came out so amazing and I hope people will be happy with it. The artwork that Wes Spnce Goder did is just incredible. Like I love his death metal artwork too, so about like I love like the Resurrection art word and he just got that dead Lee spawned for Synaps and know that too. He's just you know, oh and Devil feed us for us. You know, once you see him, you're like, Okay, I know this guy's paint and he and he still hand paints too to do all this, So which is amazing.
Speaker 3: Is that is it gonna be like the And I guess people will obviously see it when they get it. But is it like the male You scene box where when you bring it obviously the male You scene when it's attached, but like when you bring the case down, does the movie actually come out from the side.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so the inner slip, that's how it's I actually got the idea. I asked and Stephen Stephen at District picks mail you scene. Steven Morowitz has been a big help with the iconoscope process as well. He's like, oh, yeah, dude, do it because it's it's great and and we didn't know if a slip within a slip was gonna work necessarily too, but it does and it actually it's pretty freaking awesome too. And yeah, it that and the veil one came out amazing too when people see that. Lucas Peveril he did the artwork for that, and we've been working with Sarah Karloff and the Boris Karloff Estate. She loved the artwork. She folio approved it. There's a there's a little interview I did with Sarah as well on there too, and but yeah, it's been it. It came out incredible and I'm really proud of the work I did and we did, and everyone involved with this who put it together, and I guess there is a little bit of Cloud nine on it that they're finally out, and I'm excited for what people can see in the future too. And it's it's cool because it's not just gonna be like Warner Brothers stuff too. There's plenty of other things that are coming out to There's a bunch of long term projects. I can't even get into too much. They're long term for a bunch of reasons, but they're kind of as long as I kind of scope does well, we can keep going on them. But there there's like Lost series, there's gonna be some ones like kind of Rediscovery up for Rediscovery too, and hopefully some pretty big mainstream series as well. I will say TV series versus a TV versus a ninety minute TV movie, even a three hour mini series versus a full series, I've now learned, and I think it goes without saying, is a lot more work than you know, just doing the ninety minutes or so, or even then.
Speaker 1: I'm sure sorry, I'm sure you have a million questions too, But something you said just kind of curious. You know, Anchor Bay back in the in the Golden era was pretty good about. I still have a ton of Anchor Bay shows that were fairly obscure, Like I'm thinking, I think it's called Greatest show on Earth that superhero kind of obscure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yep. There's there's a lot of great ones too, like.
Speaker 2: Those those type of things.
Speaker 1: Right, So without naming names, like are there is there a chance that will get some first time to blue or four K stuff that's was previously on like an Anchor Bay type or shot early shout, you know, those types.
Speaker 4: Possibly, I also have to relook at stuff. And there's kind of big ones too that we were asking about, and we'll see. You just never know what what is down the pike.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: That being said, there's ones internally that we've discovered that we're trying to figure out going forward again. But the again, they are long term though, like I don't I don't want to say, like, yeah, I don't expect it at this like twenty twenty six at all, even twenty twenty seven is certainly possible. And then but yeah, there's there's a lot coming down the pike. And yeah, but the TV movies coming up are great, like they're all just ones that are just like NonStop basically, and yeah, there's going to be I think some interesting surprises for a lot of people too, who.
Speaker 3: Like you.
Speaker 4: I don't want people to necessarily know what they are going to experience, like I do talk about in the video like genre being a big part of it, and it will be too, But there might be some kind of like different discoveries for you know, never on disc before or anything like that either that I hope people can take a chance on to So but that's that's great. That's like every sub label too, or even partner labels.
Speaker 3: You just you just don't know, you know so totally and I think, oh, sorry, go ahead, I don't know.
Speaker 4: But so far the response has been pretty great. I think people have been pretty stoked on it, and but I want people to once they have it in their hands, I think people will be a bit more so on it.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I think two things off that. One is like, before I get to my question, what's really exciting about that is I don't think people know because one thing I think people have fun with whenever vs. Is like specifically towards the end of a month, is trying to guess the titles right. Yeah, and you guys put some clues, you put some artwork out, and I have to say, like sometimes people there are some people I'm incredibly impressed that they're like detective skills for that stuff. But oh yeah, I think one thing that helps narrow it down for a lot of people, oftentimes even for myself and I have I would say I probably have a fifty to fifty guess rate like most people probably do. But like I would say, a lot of that would narrow down to like if it's MGM or Paramount, you know, people could see you know that. And I think having WB obviously opens up that guess and that surprise more. But I think what really is exciting about that for Iconoscope that I think a lot of people don't know is that from this era specifically anything prior. I shouldn't even say from this era. I should say anything before the nineties, even before all these things became like conglomerates, they weren't owned by the same companies, so like so like for example, there's stuff that like Paramount might have might own, but it aired on ABC, and at the time what Paramount wasn't CBS. I don't even think it was like Gulf and Western Probably I don't even know their history well enough to speak on that. But like, I just mean, like it's interesting because there's stuff that I think people are going to try and guess or like look for. And it's exciting because there were so few channels, so a lot of it was still studio produced without being owned by those by those networks. That's really exciting.
Speaker 4: Yeah. God, I want to be really vague with this, but it's it's tough. Like the next one, that's uh, i'll call it. We'll call it a Kondo Scope number three. I think we'll really throw people for a loop and say, Okay, the possibilities are very open. Then well what going on? And I gotta I really gotta leave it at that.
Speaker 3: That's that's enough. That's enough my appetites. We please don't Yeah, yeah, I mean I think the discovery is super exciting. My my, I guess my question off that talk about like Scope three, how many a year are you like trying to put out or what's the kind of the goal.
Speaker 4: And try because just everyone is so like so involved and like with other things to myself included too. I I don't want to rush it either. I don't wanna be I have like, you know, I would love for it to be okay, once a month, once a month, once a month, and that's not gonna be that way. At least for now. We are gonna probab take a break after this hopefully fit. Maybe we can possibly bring it up depending on how you know, it goes with icon of scope for the next couple few months. But we will see that is probably I would say during the summer sometime is the next one. And yeah, that's a big break in between. But there's this year especially coming out, there's so many great Vinegar Syndrome cinematograph everything coming out is just I think it's people kind of saw with when we announced the Demon Warp. It's something which I that has been a I will say that one's been a very requested one since I started at Vineiger Syndrome or since Vinegar Syndrome like started. It was like, oh, demon warp, you gotta put And you know that's been you know, on people's on all of our radars too. But it's just one of those which has been you know, possible to get until it wasn't impossible.
Speaker 1: To get, you know, I mean, Eli and I hear from what a small percentage of subscribers just on the discord right, but I know at least two people that subscribe because they saw that and they were like, oh shit, okay, maybe this will be a pretty great year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there are some pretty freaking awesome ones. And then she's sorry to get ahead of it, but like Lady and White, I know that all three cuts on UHD brand new restoration of that one too. That and we really went like the full half mile. If you could get Curtis on just just to talk about putting okay cuts together because that one's been his I don't want to say craziness, but but it's he just went just crazy, just you know, all engines running to get me.
Speaker 2: He's the guy to do it right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, based on new just insane getting it done. But it's gonna beautiful.
Speaker 3: That's that's awesome.
Speaker 5: I I I.
Speaker 3: That's one thing that I really love And maybe you can actually just to circle it back to this the mainline announcements for this month. One thing, one thing I really love is that you guys really put in a lot of work into the alternate cuts with like truly being seamless, like it's very like like and obviously when you can't. You'll even put a warning that's like, hey, this was sourced from an interpositive in Europe for for two minutes, or you know whatever, like like just in terms of where you can source things sometimes or even like with the Carpenter where there's a kind of like the the SD elements that kind of add to that. But but I don't know, I think it kind of adds to the mood sometimes, Like I love don't get me wrong, I love a pristine press presentation. But sometimes it's nice to get a grindhouse movie in grindhouse mode. You know, it's just because it's also that's just a historical thing. I I when we had Joe on I remember he talked to you kind of was like a little bit would always say like he's always a little disappointed when it's not like a better element, And I told him, I'm like that. You know, in a lot of ways, though, is advocacy of what's in danger of correct having this being the most available element. So all that being said, I love that when you guys do get like a movie that has different versions, that it's all these different ones. One of my favorite ones growing up that existed that way was Terror Firmer. I was a very big trauma phile in high school and when I got that two disc Trauma DVD. I don't know if you know this, Chris, I don't know if you saw this version, but Lloyd Kaufman had did an R rated cut of Terror Firmer, and what he did instead of actually making an R rated movie, he just inserted himself talking about what happens in the scene and kind of acting it out. So there's like a scene where he comes in and as the blind director and pisses all over like Debi, Rashaan and someone else having sex in the bathroom. Yeah, and then in the R rated version he takes like literal p's from a frozen P bag and starts throwing them onto like a drawing of them like stick figures. Is that version on the four K for Terror Firmer? Do you know or do you guys work on that at all?
Speaker 4: That part? I don't know. Those might be in the deleted scenes for honestly, yeah.
Speaker 3: But we do.
Speaker 4: We do have the full uncut version and other people on the flip side people have been asking about the infamous h full frontal shots, which I don't want to spoil that too too much. We'll call it the climax of the film. Yes, it is the fully uncut version. And then now here's where I'm confused.
Speaker 2: We do have the.
Speaker 4: Extend like super extended version as well, that might some of that might be in there too. I'm not again Terra firmers one that had so many cuts on it too, like involved with it. That being said, we do have the full uncut version on the UHD, and then we do have h Scott. It's yeah, three D set including the UHD, so the we do have more than one cut, and then all the deleted footage too, so it's it's a lot.
Speaker 3: That's great. I didn't realize it was a three disc set. That's aws for say, in my head, I thought it was two discs, so oh, it for sure has to be there. If it's not, like if it's not there as oh you know what, Yeah, it says alternate unused mock behind the scenes footage. Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 4: They're okay, because there there's this is another like TCM two. If people realize, like how many freaking hours of behind the scenes footage? Yeah, we have a brand new making of on it. It's amazing, and then we still have the old uh, what's it called Farts of Darkness for that. Yeah, and all the extras from the previous ones are on it too. There's just so much and I get it. This was like one of his like personal, truly personal trauma projects to it, and all the stories are just insane and larous. It's like what what you see in the film basically was how it was behind the scenes as well too.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I'm really excited for that one. I'm also exciting you guys brought back Made in Hong Kong that was like dormant for years, and you have another one teased later in October or August or somewhere, like an horror all horror one two.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's there's a lot of crazy Hong Kong Cat three and I know we talk about more Shaw films too coming out too. There's a lot of great, amazing films coming out. But for this for Made in Hong Kong two is the number one film I think is really up for rediscovery. Is it's called It's had a few different titles. We call it the one that's what people know it as here New York Chinatown Massacre and I never heard of it before I started. We started working on it, and it was just when I saw the footage, I'm like, holy shit, this is insane, Like it's it's it's one of those where it was made in eighty two, I want to say, and or at least it might. It's one of those you never know when it was seen in the US effort. It could have been a couple of years later, and it's had. This is another one where it's had more than one cut, like we do. We did have to unfortunately use some s but like you said, to complete it for the full uncut experience, find some SD footage to complete the entire version of it. But it is Have you guys seen Men from the Gutter?
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah, loved it.
Speaker 4: Yeah that imagine that. But then those like sensibilities where it's it's not quite a heroic bloodshed film per se, it's not or like the Triad on triad violent ones like the people really would know from the nineties and you and all of that, but it's kind of those sensibilities and it's incredible, like what and they shot it, They brought it to New York City, they shot like when you could when the whole foreign production. This was the same era as like when Falcy and his crew came to New York for the New York Ripper, you know, and they would shoot in New York. And but this is when you see some of the action scenes when you see the shootouts and you're like, how the hell did they do this? Like and apparently they did have like permits and everything, but like it's I know, in the pre you could see like it's not just gang on gang shootouts. It's like no, they they like steal weapons from like a National Guard depot and start shooting M sixteen downtown New York City and Chinatown and everything, and it's just there's I think like one or two crazy car chases too, and it's it's insane, like what happens with it? I think part of it they shoot They shot at like Riker's Island too. It's so bizarre.
Speaker 3: And that's not even that's not even the hermit yaout erected one. That's what's crazy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, the Herman Yea one's amazing too. That's the best. Is just one of those like oh my god, like you could tell like, okay, this is Herman. What's funny is he talks about it being for him it was a director for hire job and you know he likes it, but it's it's not one of his favorites. He didn't think he did his best. But you're watching and you're like, dude, this is like John wu what are you talking about?
Speaker 3: This is like you know, oh yeah, it's it's the same thing with Men from the Gutter, right like he I'm sure Lamb doesn't even think that was like a Lamb that felt like for Lamb, like a one for them, you know, like it's not even and and I'm like, well, if this is, if this is Lamb at like like an easy mode, of course, that's still gonna fucking rip. That's like everybody else is like trying their hardest, you know what I mean, Like that that dude's fucking probably is having a cigarette break while it was happening at the whole movie.
Speaker 4: Men from the Gutters, Like dude watching it, like, dude, what are you talking about? You made heat basically and yeah in the eighties, like yeah, and but best of the best is great because it's, uh, it's just one of those again, like it's borderline heroic, bloodshed full on and yeah, he yeah, I think people know him from like a Ball of Syndrome and then more like horror and just Cat three, just crazy, creamy sleaziness. This is him doing the hardcore shootout action and he does it with the best of them as well. And it's funny because we know again we interviewed. I mean, he doesn't feel that, but I'm like you did, but okay, whatever you think.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's amazing and.
Speaker 4: It's really quick. A great extra on it is Erica Schultz.
Speaker 2: From The U.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she does an amazing video essay and which I never knew this, but when canto pop and filmmaking and all of that inter acted, when canto pop stars became you know, action stars in their own run, and it's it's pretty wild. Just everything in that world too well.
Speaker 2: There's always people on the Vineger Syndrome discord that ask like, what about this? What about that?
Speaker 1: And I was telling them, hey, y best of the best is enough for that whole set. But it's really good news to hear about New York Chinatown massacre. Yeah, and I yeah, sorry ahead.
Speaker 4: No, no, it's just one I want people to know, like we will, we will warrant it. When you pop in the disc there is s D footage inserted and it's just the It was the only way to complete the film too, unfortunately. But uh, and it was one where they they want the where we got the film elements the original negative they warn't and said, hey, we are like ninety nine percent sure that this is unfortunately cut and we have no idea where any of the film is. And like with really quickly with Devil Fetus, we you know, we had amazing luck with that with other films too, where we are able to complete the whole thing from film and we were working with AGFA, working with private collectors to who have this stuff. Everybody we talked to was like New York Chinatown massacre or New York China and they're like, I never heard of it, or be you we have nothing on that at all. And but yeah, we you know, we we got to get together. Curtis that amazing on it to get it together, and I really hope people rediscover it and going into the third film really quick Final Justice it is it was a misright fix that it's not Stephen Chow version. This is a very interesting drama and it's weird because like huh drama, a courtroom drama. And I really like it because it's you know, got really the main guy from oh god, what is it? The uh the cat three almost version of Backdraft?
Speaker 3: Oh h no, no, the one you guys put out right, Lifeline.
Speaker 4: Life, Lifeline, Thank you very much. God, you do you do so many movies over the years, like two months ago, I don't remember totally.
Speaker 3: I believe it. Actually I want to talk about that a little later, but I can only imagine. I can't see that, like even I like, I'm sure Joe and and and Ryan they probably just know what they've put out. But even there is one time when I met Joe in person and I told him I showed a soft cut of Barber broadcast yeah for Pussycat Theater night, And he even said, he goes, there's a soft version of that, And I'm like, it's on the distrip picks Blu ray or right right, yeah, yeah, it's really funny when that uh, when that happens. But I also thought about it in my head. I'm like, man, the size of that fucking warehouse. How could it's impressive that he even remembers what he remembers, right, So, like that's totally yeah, no, no worries. But sorry you were saying, so, yeah, the guy from Lifeline.
Speaker 4: Is in Yeah, he plays the priest, the head priest in it. And it's again it's one of those, you know, interesting dramas that I don't think people expect to go into borderline. Cat three territory as well, and it we were like, we got to include this because this is very different. No, no one else is gonna like see this any any other way, so like we gotta we gotta have this and hopefully people rediscover it and really like it too.
Speaker 2: Cat three twelve Angry Men.
Speaker 4: Well, not quite like that, but this one has to do with like, you know, it's borderline, but it's like there's like, you know, a rape, you know, it goes.
Speaker 3: Into rape that goes into Cat three Oh my god.
Speaker 4: But it goes into like all these weird things you don't expect it to. Of course, Triad may be involved, and you know, you just don't know where it's gonna go. So but yeah, so it's a really great that I hope people really get into it.
Speaker 1: Well, I just want to call it before we move on between this one, this video essay and the video essay on Chinese twitchers. Yeah, chamber torture, chamber story. I wanted to Erica Schultz has some of the best work. Like, I'm just so impressed with her. Between the fact that you all got Sam Deagan on staff and then Erica doing features, I just and then Amanda Oh, yeah, are just some of the best people working today.
Speaker 2: It's amazing.
Speaker 4: Yeah and not oh.
Speaker 3: I just want to say not to jump too much over it, but with with Iconoscope, I was actually curious because I fully expected as soon as I heard of Iconoscope, I'm like Amanda Reas for sure, like I know she'll be there and say for a commentary, but how did you get like what was the meat to get the group commentary for like Jeffrey Reddick because the writer and Sean Abley, Like how.
Speaker 4: Does stuff say that that's like archival, That's okay. They did that for the Warner Archive disc and same for the commentary now out. Unfortunately, the way it unfortunately worked, weren't able to really get as many new extra really any new extras that I want to get on it. Going back again, this is part of it. Like I'm really happy to have you know, a bunch of other people involved doing the extras going forward to maybe we can revisit it going forward. We were able to actually shoot at the New Hall mansion a little locations featurette then and now. They were really great shooting at the house, and we did get a new booklet essay from Amanda ray As as well. And to get really into the director's career, John Newland, who for Don't Be Afraid of the Dark cause aside from that, he had an amazing career doing kind of you know, one Step Beyond. People would know him from kind of that Twilight Zone almost precursor type deal, but he also was involved with Star Trek. He was involved with a ton of other projects and not only that, but seeing all of that get together was really great. Now. Unfortunately, one thing I have discovered too made for TV films on aside from like you know, more power to them, like something like Salem's Lot and something like that, it's really hard to get people all too, you know, and yeah it can't it can be. It can be, is what we're discovering.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: The lead We we tried, every everybody tried, you know, going through all the channels, direct contact too. For unfortunately, the Ken Darby and it wasn't even a yes or no, it was just she was not returning. She actually I don't know what happened. She called me back, but then I picked up and then she hung up on it, and then I don't know what, and then nothing and you know, hey, if you don't don't want to be involved, totally fine, you know. And it's just one of those things, unfortunately, and like, but what the commentaries do have in the book essay are just such great info, especially with this production, and it's really good with this in particular. I'm just so proud of the restoration and the scan on this and all the work that went involved, like and I'm hoping people get into it, and going forward to you know, there will be a lot more extras, you know, involved, I think with every release going forward to so you know, I can only say I, you know, I and we did our best for getting this together. That being said, the Veil was more much more loaded experience, and we can get into that afterward as well.
Speaker 3: Actually, let's just jump right into that one right now, I think, because it's it's another one from from this month. We only have one other one from the main line. We can we can circle back to that, But like as far as as far as the Veil goes, this is I think the one that's it. What a great one two punch because you have a you have a great creepy little horror movie right with the four K, and now you're getting this awesome series that And I'll admit I wasn't familiar with it at all, and I have I have a pretty good like from from growing up on a lot of TV movies and stuff. And my my my roommate is really because he's he's he's a little bit older than me, has like a real good booklet of knowledge with this stuff. So when I even told him about it, he knew about the Veil, but he really he knew, uh, don't be afraid of the dark, like, and he was like, oh, that's awesome that they're giving a four K. So with with the Veil, how familiar with you were you with this yourself? And I mean, I know it's accessible to some capacity like people, Yeah, you can find find some of it, but obviously you're you're doing some real You're you're bringing some stuff there that even people who know the show probably haven't seen.
Speaker 4: So the veil. It's one of those crazy things, and a big shout out to film historian and author and publisher. It's kind of has been doing this for years, Tom Weaver, because he really wrote the book literally on the veil. I think it scripts from the Crypt number seven it's called. And I knew about the veil even before this. I remember in my video store on a say they had at one like my local one. They definitely had one or two of the Something Weird nineties tapes and or two thousands tapes I believe. I can't remember exactly it was. Actually it might have been Rhino Video if I'm not mistaken who actually put it out.
Speaker 3: On probably that totally has Yeah, yeah, I'm not mistaken.
Speaker 4: I don't want to be mistaken on that. Yeah, it because it had such a crazy release and we get into it with the extra specifically for that, and but Tom we were he said it best. You know, this is one of those things where they shot the entire series nineteen fifty eight to fifty nine, I believe, and it never aired. It was just one of those things that just never aired and then it was kind of basically lost essentially for until late seventies. I believe. But before that, in the sixties, someone got a hold of the footage and they basically, like for lack of a vetteran forced edited them into like almost fake but enough to show in theaters anthology horror films like where they edited the episodes and then they didn't shoot anything new either. They just worked the edits to say, Okay, here's a here's a new anthology horror film. You know, at the time of like Amakiss and stuff like that, when like people who would be like, wait, this has Boris Karlov in it, I don't think this is new, like said, but it did get on local television. Finally in the late seventies, I want to say, into the eighties, that's when people really started to see it, and it had a even on DVD and everything. Various DVD labels have put it out over there because it's technically public domain, so you know, and but you know, no one has except for something weird, no one has worked with a direct film before and it's something weird with their movie lab which is now with us with District Picks, you know, in house. And Lisa has been an amazing help with this as well. For her knowledge but also because Mike Rainey, you know, really got it together. And one of Tom Weaver's commentaries he actually has an actor like recreate when he interviewed Mike Vraaney way back when and talking about how Mike Rainy found the Veil and getting into the series with that. And it's pretty crazy because even I'm sure people who like you know, private collectors and everything who really go looking for film and everything too, it's almost impossible to hear about discovering a whole almost a whole series, yeah in one spot, you know, that's just unheard of. But yeah, we have the complete series of that, and we also have now some release. Some of the DVDs had it way back when, even before Something Weird always from Beat to Hell tapes transfers and everything, but it was really only one or two out of all the crazy public domain duties had it. Otherwise, every DVD you know, Something Weird included, he would get ten episodes, well there were technically eleven, technically twelve episodes produced. It's so weird. One of the episodes, Jack the Ripper, they shot an intro and outro with Boris Karloff, but he's not actually it's the one where he's not actually in it either. They definitely took footage from another from a British show or movie and re edit it into a veil episode. And then there was an actual veil episode called Peggy also known as Whatever Happened to Peggy, which sometimes was found and put on, sometimes was not, and we were able to get filmed for that as well finally and actually put that on. I think the only SD thing on the entire disc that we had to use was the intro and outro, just the credits, the opening and credits for that episode Peggy. Otherwise everything is from film. Another big shout out to UCLA. They have the backdoor pilot the Vestress, which oh yeah, so they had a great print of that, and it's the original. It's called The Telephone Time. It was for Telephone Time Playhouse or something like that and still produced by hal Roach Studios. That's kind of why it's considered a backdoor pilot. Like Boris Karloff is in it, but he doesn't do the intro outro. We keep the old Telephone Time ads in and it's weird because they're not quite commercials. They're more like weird PSAs about why you and your family should use telephones. It's bizarre for the fifties even. But what we also found, which shout out to a private collector, Pays Brunner, who found this like years ago too. He found the Vestress was re edited to become a Veil episode with a Boris Karloff intro and outro, and that really hasn't been seen, I don't think since they was supposed to air wo and that is included. The other big, big thing that's included is this was a lost to just every everywhere episode of it's called the Schlitz Playhouse for the Stars. Amanda Areas is actually the commentary on this because it's it's fascinating like the Beer Company. Yeah, they had a television series way because back then in the fifties before like Top Twilight Zone, before Utter Limits, before Chiller, like for all these shows. And yes there were scripted like half hour shows, you know, stuff like that, but otherwise there it was all anthologies. And because it was the easiest thing to show was you take a play, you shoot in one or two locations tops and you get it done in like under a week. And one of these yeah, uh, you never knew who would sponsor it either, Like, but yeah, Schlitz Schlitz Beer had a uh had a series that ran. It ran a long, it ran a while too, like over well over one hundred something episodes. Wow, A lot of these series, A lot of them. A lot of the episodes are lost in general. But one of them we found, you know it was it was actually an eBay listing. I think we got that. We're like, oh crap, let's let's go after it too, and did an all new four K scan of it and I think it's the best ever. Gonna look, who knows where the negative is at this point. It's from a print, but it's called House of Death, and it's a horror we'll call it horror adjacent. Uh, it's more of a kind of a thriller mystery. So it's got Boris Karloff in the lead. It's another one he just did, and he's great in it. The other people involved are just amazing, and Amanda Rayes really gets into the nuts and bolts of who's involved. But what's the craziest thing which is connected to our world here is it's one of the fur very first things A guy named William Asher directed and for those who are like where do I know that name? Well, many years later, like god, almost thirty years later. He one of the few films he directed, because he directed primarily television, was of all things, Butcher Baker Nightmare Makers, right, yeah, yeah, and so that's a crazy connection. Yeah. One of his very first things he ever directed was with Boris Karloff in the nineteen fifties, and that's kind of where and that was a very lost thing. A lot of people like they knew the title, like the title that's shown up in places, but no one ever saw it before. And I think people will be really excited to see it. And again going into just finishing off the extras for that Sarah Karloff new interview with her about everything mostly again like Carloff's just television career in the fifties and when that got involved to excuse me. And the other great interview we did was with the creator Frank Beats, his daughter Barbara.
Speaker 2: She co wrote the.
Speaker 4: Book with Tom Weaver, and she just has amazing stories about his life and career and stories about making the veil too, and amazing. It's just great to see and and you know it's been scanning and restored that this is one we were able to physically do in house too, and it just came out amazing, the whole package. I'm really really proud of that too. And yeah, hopefully people rediscover it. And I know nowadays it can be tougher too, but I hope people take a chance on black and white and television for that matter.
Speaker 1: Well, so I was gonna ask, is is this you know, between VSL, and maybe that's a good segue into talking about the VSL for the month as well, But between VSL and the kind of scope you now kind of have a natural excuse to go into the fifties and forties if you can, right, yeah exactly, I would say, so yeah, so yeah, and you do meet people who just do not like black and white at all, you know, that's the same.
Speaker 3: But that's like what people who don't like subtitles. That's there. But it sucks, It really sucks. But it is a shame because especially with the advancements of technology. Let me tell you, man, I mean, I know not everybody can afford it, but I got really lucky myself. I was able to get an OLED really cheap. And let me tell you, watching Black and White on an OLED is game changing. I like, I can't wait when it doesn't even have to be a four KKE, just be a blu ray but anything. The inkiness of it, like kind of it's really I think is the closest you can get to seeing it in a theater again or you know, in any capacity of it. It just looks so good because people talk about usually I think with HDR and with in general, with four K and OLED, people talk about how the colors pop, but also the way the the black. Yeah, the contrast is just incredible. I can't stress enough that, Like it's even but you know what that being said, even on like a regular LED, they still look as good as they're ever gonna look. So it is strange because with all this talk about like Golden age for physical media, I think like people can really take that for granted. I think people also take for granted just to bring it back to Hong Kong for a second, Like I don't think people realize the reason there's such a prolific drop in this like like not just from VS, but from Shout from Arrow from eighty eight. Everybody, Yeah, yeah, everybody's getting in on it because for twenty fucking years. It was impossible to see. I grew up on that stuff on VCDs and and like and like bootleg DVDs and vhs is with them that are poorly subtitled, poorly frame, poorly transferred, and some of the some of them don't even you know, like that Severn Bruce Playtation Box. That's a great example. Yeah, it's one of the one of my favorite releases of twenty twenty four. But also, like you know, they had to source some of those just from prints from private collectors because that's all that's left. And that's a great example of showing like like for the ones that they have that they were able to properly restore it alongside it that like there's stuff that you just can't Unfortunately, that's the best version you can get. So if that's the case for some of these, why wouldn't you be excited for the other hundreds that are actually being properly resubtitled, properly restored. Because nubev has a Hong Kong night, they do some pretty rare stuff here in LA at least to at least once a month, and you know, they're obviously released prints most of the time they're very rarely newly struck like preserved prints, and even those the subtitles sometimes there is like burnt in Filipino subtitles with the English subtitles or you know, yeah, I saw some move They showed some Moonlee movie where it was like literally like three sets of subtitles. But like, you know, you can tell that that that the movie you weren't watching the version that was intended, not just in terms of the what's being spoken and translated, but even like a shootout scene or like a plot point, you can tell there's something missing. So the fact that all this stuff's coming in uncut, all at once, I don't know, it's it's it's so exciting to me to be able to get all that now, you know, because there's only so much I think people can take it for granted, because there's only so much regional exploitation. I think at some point people are gonna be like, well, what's with all the regional exploitation, what's with all the you know what I mean, Like, I think no one's ever gonna be happy with that. So yeah, so I think it's great that also are basically going on this long tangent just to say that, like it's great that there's not just Hong Kong but also like made for TV movies, Like there's so many different facets. And that also goes to the melusine side where it's not just like a peak a peak rama and a quality X release. There's also like district picks, there's the new pink line that you guys a fucking milling It Brothers Mitchell Brothers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, amazing films.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and and Chris and I are going to get into this when we do like the review episode of Celeste. But but the that behind the green Door release is essential and is like a great example of what VS does with with Like the special features are incredible, the transfer is fantastic, and like contextualizing it is fantastic. And so that's what I like about Like even with that Iconoscope, you're doing the same thing obviously, like involving the karlaf estate and not just licensing it from them, you know and getting the thumbs up from them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and like we didn't you didn't technically have to at all, you know, you know, it's one of those it's old enough, it's almost you know, public domain, but like we're like, no, we got it. We got to include them, We got to talk to him about this, you know, and like just anyone who was involved getting the word out about the veil over the years, and like real quick, like Something Weird had a great booklet originally with the DVD, and that original essay has Tom Weaver and like, hey, do you want to revise and expand upon it and everything? He's like, oh, yeah, definitely, and he took that, he revised it, expanded upon it big time and booklet came out amazing too, because there was a lot of people involved with this one in particular. And but yeah, I'm hoping people rediscover kind of all of this, and you know, whether it's just film, whether it's you know, weird television movies and series or adult films and yeah, films from Hong Kong. I hope people take a chance on any of this from any label too, you.
Speaker 3: Know, yeah, totally. Before we get back to VSL and and the other subscriber, one thing I wanted to ask earlier when you brought up Something Weird, I just want to clarify because I remember reading the release that there was like a team up with distrip Picks and something Weird video, but it is actually like something Weird Video is now part of the VS family completely, right, like it's all or or is Something Weird still their own thing that just brought some titles into you guys.
Speaker 4: No there, it's kind of both. Okay that makes sense. Yeah, yeah, Like you know, lisas Something Weird video they do, they do their own thing as well, but a lot of the movie lab Something Weird collection ended up with Distripicks, which it's been brought into Vinegar Syndrome Film Archives, so that's kind of the whole connection. And actually yeah, stuff like behind the Green Door stuff like the nest thing, they all go into that as well too. So but but yeah they Yeah, it's kind of all one big crazy family. I guess you kind of yeah, so, but yeah, Lisa has been amazing with the word out yeah about this too, and we'll not getting the word out until we're officially announced. Uh but yeah, it's it's very exciting. It's really exciting to be involved with that. And and real quick, one thing I do love is the uh distre Picks Something Weird collaborations with the uh like s Exploitation ones as well, and those have been just incredible because I I knew kind of about them from the Something Weird Duty, but I the DVD's and such. But I and like David Friedman, you know, I knew about like the that S Exploitation documentary, but I never sat down to like really watch any of them until now basically and yeah them and restore them and they're just incredible.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 4: It was a whole weird era of there because they're not fully all either the exploitation their softcore, but like they had a lot of fun, but they also took chances with shooting them and got really psychedelic, and a lot of them and or had just great sleazy but beautiful black and white, especially the New York early really early ones.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like like Career Bed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just it's just crazy with all of that too. And then especially like the Fat Buck Pussycat and Yeah, oh I.
Speaker 3: Love that double Yeah, yeah, the Confessions of a PSYCHOA.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're just insane.
Speaker 3: So you know, the one you guys just put out a great just a great testament of that is the David Friedman double of Yeah, the Adult, the Adult Jacqueline Hyde and the.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Because that booklet you guys included incredible it really and and my take on both of those movies, I had that exact same thought that you had just said, where I'm like, oh, this is just a hardcore movie that just doesn't that just opted out of penetration, even though I'm pretty sure a few scenes were unsimulated, and then the booklet kind of sort of confirms that, and you're like, damn, I wonder how this would have played if this was a porno. Because these were made right at the same time as Behind the Green Door, it was actually like really fitting to release them all kind of in the same month, Like it really kind of it's like it's really representative of an era which I love, and I think that that's really exciting that, Like every time I see a District Picks double announced, I'm really excited for it for that reason. I mean, that's that's really much, very much in my wheelhouse because it's great, great stuff. Yeah, sorry, Chris, I think you were about to say something.
Speaker 2: No, it's okay.
Speaker 1: I was just gonna say, before we move too much on from Hong Kong, y'all have an angel in your at least not maybe not staff, but at least in your circle named Pearl, Right, from Kanye Y, from.
Speaker 4: Connie too, and she is incredible just getting this all together and just has been We're like a guardian angel to our shepherd even to get all these through in the end so well.
Speaker 1: Because that's there's so much in Hong Kong movies. And I learned this from Mike and Arna, but I think there's a good example of this too. There's so much context that's lost if you weren't around at the time these movies were being made. Because even even if it's a period piece like a Wisha period piece, they might still slip in slang or some kind of reference if especially if it's a comedy or something. And I think having somebody like Frank Jang or Pearl that knows that has that historical context, it makes it into the subtitles and then it becomes it comes more alive.
Speaker 4: Right. Yeah. And Pearl actually she did a great featurette with going Back Real Quick to Ebola Syndrome. It's a great feature atte with Herman Yao, and they talk about like sometimes translating Cantonese and even a manderin it could be tough because there are multiple meanings to different words and some of it is slang, and even the slang can have multiple versions, and well which one's right? Well they're both right and or they're both wrong.
Speaker 2: It's like I always always attributed to reading Miguel a Servant.
Speaker 4: What's the.
Speaker 2: What's the Miguel Servant is don Quixote? Don Quixote?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've always heard this is from one of my earliest memories of like English class unless you speak ancient Spanish, the miss like half the jokes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's still a.
Speaker 1: Really funny book, but it's just like if you at the time, it's the funniest thing you've ever seen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, apparently, Yeah that's anyway.
Speaker 1: Well, so what about like before we get into cinematograph, what about VSL because we tapped on that earlier, So what tell us a little bit about the VSL title?
Speaker 4: Real quick? One more? Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, is uh, because I don't want it to get lost, because it's it's been lost a lot since it's been its releases. But Dario Gento's Phantom of the Opera I want to talk about too, and that is one where I think it's gotten kind of a bad rep you know, some people say that too, and I agree, But I love it well, I was gonna say, I don't agree. I think it's amazing, you know, and it's a beautiful, it's gory as hell. Yeah, and you know, resting power to seeing great uh you know, uh, Julian Warner again too, and they're Julian Sands sorry Jesus David Warren, but seeing Julian stands again and any capacity in any film is great and fantastic, and you know, all of his work can be really appreciated, and this is one where he did such a great job in this and it is amazing, and I hope people do really rediscover this one because it again, it's gotten a bad rep I think unnecessary. A lot of our Gento's you know, we'll call him, you know, nineties on where basically after Stendhall Syndrome have gotten really bad reps, and I don't think they're deserved at all. I think a lot of them are fantastic films and I hope people see that too. And this is another loaded, amazing package with just every interview you want, you know, I.
Speaker 3: Just want to. I want to. I want to be a testament to that for a second, because I'm always happy to eat my words when I have to. And I remember when Stenhall was announced, I was like, all right, fine, you know I didn't. I wasn't. I wasn't upset, but it was I. I shrugged pretty basically, I was like, okay, cool, but you know what, I hadn't seen it in twenty plus years.
Speaker 5: I was And and.
Speaker 3: I think what people run into a lot of the problems with the later Argento stuff is is Brett Brevity isn't there? You know, these these movies tlalking at two hours, and depending on how you feel about the movie, you can you can kind of feel it. But when I rewatched Stenhall this weekend, I was like, oh, I was wrong. This is good. This is this is a good movie. This really deals with uh, stuff that I think people would say is too on the now, you know, like, and it's in how it deals with trauma. Even though you made another movie called trauma. This actually I think it should really be the one called trauma.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely, I agree.
Speaker 3: But yeah, and that really speaks to that, and which made me more open to Phantom getting announced. When I saw that announcement, I was like, and I've been waiting on Terror Firmer because I've been dying to revisit it, and like, so these two back to back. I was like, oh great, and I'm glad you circled back to it because you know, it's cool that these get region A like four k's you know, you guys get to restore them from the negatives. They look great and they they what what's really fun about them? And to each their own on how they pursue this part. But you know the effects are so unbelievably nineties. Yeah, and you really the the I think this is the one place where four K makes it something very interesting in a make or break because it really reveals kind of a certain look. And like I said, when you guys did Virtuosity, that's one of my favorite nineties I love that movie very very dearly.
Speaker 4: And I forgot I forgot completely about UFC in like nineties early UFC totally that film at all, you know, so that was insane to see.
Speaker 3: So that's awesome. I was like so excited about that, and like, yeah, I love that that UFC sequence, but like also just you get to see the effects and how they look in four K. It's really funny because who knows how those were rendered back then and what what resolutions.
Speaker 4: So to be at that upscale and like, I'll you know, even more power to them when like something like Star Trek and the series and the movies where they re rendered the effects and like them from the beginning. A lot of these they're like, nope, like this negative and this film is like all that the best that exists for these particular effects. You know, you'd have to basically make them.
Speaker 2: That's like that's how it should be.
Speaker 1: I mean, I know we're on the same page here, so it's ye, like but like you don't need to go redoce Star you don't need to redo a these movies. Like people can they can wrap their minds around the fact that this is a fifties sixty seventies like you know, like people get it.
Speaker 2: You just just show it how it was shown at the time.
Speaker 3: That's actually a great bridge. We almost forgot about this. Speaking of things that like really pop like in four K with these like really like kind of sort of analog digital hybrids of the nineties. Tank Girl gotta be.
Speaker 4: Ss yeah, the big one. Yeah, saying that for last time.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, yeah, yeah, let's let's.
Speaker 4: Jump anto it now because Tank Girl is just amazing one of those, and it looked great before this, but man, the four K talk about popping. It's just incredible. It was shot for like the ultimate you know, eye popping color as much as you can in the apocalypse, I guess the post apocalyptic world. I guess you'd say, uh, and especially with like the animated sequences.
Speaker 3: That's what I thought of the first thing you talking about that it.
Speaker 4: Was crazy Again. I'll other loaded disc with all new extras. We have a kind of a great featurette that Claudia Proble and produced to She did a lot of the production on this one, especially, but where the director and I believe that one of the original comic book artists, if I'm not mistaken. They it's a teaching class on drawing tank Girl nowadays too, and it's it's pretty it's pretty interesting and h So, yeah, that's a cool feature atte. But yeah, new Lori Petty interview and it's just revisiting it now. It's still top tier film.
Speaker 2: You know, that was when when I was growing up.
Speaker 1: I think we're all roughly around the same age, but when I was growing up, tank Girl had a specific place as this sort of like feminine power movie that wasn't cheesy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like it was just fun and like, you know, it was great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it was a really kind of a cultural movement. It was one that you you would sort of you can almost tell if you're going to like somebody or not based on how they how interested they weren't seeing it, whether or not they like it.
Speaker 2: That's when thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people that were just like, I'm never going to see it, that's dumb, and you're kind of like, oh, okay, I'm not going to be friends with you, Like that's okay.
Speaker 2: But this is like a very defining movie for a lot of people.
Speaker 4: I think, oh yeah, And it's just the soundtrack is amazing too, especially nowadays re listening to it, and then I think, it's all the movies I've watched ate at least the first time, you know, I'm a punk fan too, and hearing face to face in uh you know in this was just like, Wow, Okay, I forgot that was it. Anker was one. It had been probably yeah, like twenty twenty five years since I saw it until we restored it too. So it's so that's a loaded amazing vsu uh worth worth it. It's just it's just so.
Speaker 1: Good, so did you there's no there's no behind the scenes features for many of the musicians, though, right.
Speaker 4: I don't think we know. That's okay, we realized. I think I think we did presume and we just couldn't get any of it. I thought there is really look at it here.
Speaker 3: I haven't pulled up right now, I can tell you there's there's You're right, I see it here. A new featurette with director Rachel Talalay and artist Gary Baseman. Yeah. Oh, you guys got Catherine Hardwick to do an interview.
Speaker 4: That's awesome. Ye, she's great too. But yeah, I don't believe anything. Yeah, anything to unfortunately too. But we did get the new stuff about the Rippers, which is really cool to see from Winston Studio. And yeah, just again another film which people haven't seen it or just heard about it. They haven't taken a look at it, you know, in years or ever. I hope people see it, especially nowadays with like the Mad Max and Fury Riosa and all of that. Go to Tank Girl because it's.
Speaker 3: A lot of fun it And you have at the some some kind of friends of vs. Heather Draine and Elizabeth Burchell doing some essay work too, so that that's awesome.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they all do great work for this too.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I love all of the disc producers that you all have.
Speaker 1: You got really lucky, I think. But just since you're here in case this helps her good at promotion. I want to say, I love when Claudia produces a disc because it's the art design, the production design, the She's just got such a visual imagination, visual mind with her background that I just I love. I can always see like when it's one of her discs and I get excited because it's like a it's like, you know, she really digs into like the vibe and the feel and the and the you know, the way the movie kind of touches you, which I love.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, absolutely so she and you and also you and can't do they do fantastic work also. Yeah, and just you know, we were very lucky in the producers who were work with, uh Elijah Dreunner another big one who doesn't work too, and you know, we're very lucky with who were able to get you know, producing all this stuff.
Speaker 3: So when when you guys do location, that's one of my favorite for features when they go to like visit locations I think I think Elijah did a few of those that could be wrong, but I just remember like there was a good yeah and then you guys, you guys got one. One of my favorite ones was for Crackhouse with the VSA Oh yeah, yeah, great great features. I just because well because you know what it is. I I the reason I bring that one up is that I think with one thing you guys kind of get just naturally built into a lot of the movies you restore is good New York footage or good San Francisco footage, not just in the not just on the adult side, but but just in a lot of the movies from their low budgetness. And sometimes you'll get some other good regional stuff obviously just from a lot of the the trauma titles they acquired, the regional stuff they got. But like crack House, that that's a good LA one. That's like there's got some real good LA you know, Yeah, that's great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And for locations, I mean crazy segue, but uh, I've been a big fan seeing all the Sato where he goes back to where he shot Sato films, and it is just because of the Sato film you have not seen a pink film and it's we'll say it's it's an acquire taste. The people who love it though, they love them.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I'm one of them, and I am late, you know, I you know, And.
Speaker 4: This is my first time really discovering them was when we did the Sato's and now seeing what's upcoming, not just Sato but other ones upcoming are just they get more crazier and crazier and just nihilistic but also lynching in too in a lot of ways. And it's just gets nuts for and it's not what you expect when you say, oh yeah Japanese exploitation, Like no, it's they are way beyond that.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I got a great taste of that with Mondo. Yeah, Mona Macabro did a few that really are like, oh, these are considered some of these are considered pink films technically or like you know, Pinky's in some capacity. And I'm really excited for Sato Volume three because of uh Turtle Vision I long heard is like a must watch. So really really stoked about that one.
Speaker 4: I can't even describe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I already I figured as much. I actually, you know, just a quick tangent. But since we're talking about Sato, and and that's obviously one of the releases, this one definitely really exciting that that's on there. But like, and what's crazy is depending on who you're talking to with SA, that could be like what someone's like gnarly is another person's treasure, do you know what I mean? Because some people will say like, oh right, right, yeah, yeah, and some people be like, oh yeah, turtle visions fucked up. But wait till you get to like the one with the Man, Woman Horse or whatever that title is, you know what I mean, Like, it's it's crazy how much wilder it can it can get, and so really exciting that you guys did another because I think with the with the pink films particularly, uh, Like, I know there's other non satos to get to, but I do think, I do think, and I think it's a great baptism by fire though to go through these, because they're all very short anyways, So I think you'll know SATO is such a great entry point because if you do like these, you know you'll be in for other good stuff too, And if you don't, I can't see it being an upward journey at that point for a person right, So like that's before we finish out with the cinematograph and VSL. I just really quick would love to just touch on the quality X title Maraschino Cherry.
Speaker 4: Absolutely yeah, and also related to I love to talk about I think also Resurrection of Eve up there too. But yeah, Marischino Cherry is just an amazing you know. Radley Metzkert is just one of those who the best. Yeah, and he you know, he did try to make more mainstream films too, and with unfortunately limited success. But he's just one of those who was considered like and everyone who worked with him was like, he's just one of the greatest directors, not just for adult but just a film in general.
Speaker 3: And he's a great like distributor, you know. That's how he kind of cut his teeth and so he had this like overlap. There's this great book that you guys actually sell on the mel you Scene site called Man of Taste about Radley metzker It's an essential read, I think for anybody who's dug his films. I have to say, like when I played a lot of his films played in when I did Pussycat Theater Night and this this wasn't one of them, but I did, I did you know Barbara broadcast?
Speaker 4: We did.
Speaker 3: But even Tale of Tiffany Lust, which I would argue is probably like more mid tier Metskir ye And I don't say that in a bad way. It's still fucking killed. Like the audience loved.
Speaker 4: It, amazing film.
Speaker 3: It's still a great film, right exactly, And so like it's interesting, I think this is the first one in a while where it's just been a Blue release. It hasn't been one of the one of the male you scene four K titles. Is it is that just an elements thing or it just wasn't there, Like how is that decided for? Because I would say I think out of all the male you seine titles aside from Blonde Ambition, I think thus far they've all been Radley Metzker yeap.
Speaker 4: I just do want to correct it. It is also I believe Blue Ray just okay, so is Blu Ray only again too? And unfortunately this is another one where again we did the you know, thirty five milimeter negative, but it was one where the you know, it's never gonna be perfect either, and yeah, they just wanted to do the best possible.
Speaker 3: Blu Ray they can, you know, and yeah, totally.
Speaker 4: If it you know, maybe one day a four kick can happen too. But yeah, the Blu Ray for this is I think the best it's ever gonna look, and just the best it is.
Speaker 3: H that's good enough. I think that's good enough. It's really easy to take for granted that even to get it on a Blu Ray, and I was wrong. The other one I just remembered was Through the Looking Glass, which is a masterpiece. But yeah, that's that's great. I'm just glad to see more Metsker. I honestly, I'm really excited for the uh, for all the other you know, Metsker ones that are getting the upgrades. I know they've been talked about, and so really exciting that that this one, this one's there. And also obviously now that you've done Behind the Green Door, you got the other Mitchell, you know, Resurrection of Eve. Now you're going to like, I think what people would consider more because Behind the Green Door, I think it's reputation. It's as much of a what's the word I'm looking for, like it's it's obviously a landmark film. Oh so it carries a lot of baggage to the actual film, and that's why I think the features are important. But I love that, Like I know, for the Mitchell Brothers group, a lot of their follow ups are actually considered like the even better films.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's correct, and yeah there's so there's a lot of great stuff coming out for that too. And yeah, with Behind the Green Door, it was such a cultural mainstam. I mean you have like just those funny clips on like YouTube, and I mean most recently, I think it was for promotion for John Cena for Freaking Peacemaker or something or one of his films where they were like, oh, what's your favorite film or something, and he brought up Behind the Green Door and his co actors did not know what that was.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah yeah. And if you at the top review on letterbox is like I'm only here because John Cena sent me here or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah like that, and then another but even better recommendation. I still think it's indriselda because his production company is Green Door Productions, and he came apparently he came up with that like nothing to do with it at all, and then you know it's production people should watch look up the clip on YouTube because it's it's hilarious and he explains it better. But it's one of those things where he's like, oh yeah, Green Door Production, man, Yeah, I'll do that, and you know, my producers are like, uh, you know what this has to do with porn? Right, He's like, what are you talking about? And like, well, what it's about and he's like, well, it's the first one of the first pornos with an interracial scene. And he's like, oh wow, Like tell me more about this and he's like, well, there's a climax shot that lasts for about seven minutes and he's like, yeah, we gotta use it based on this. Are you kidding me? Like, what are you talking about?
Speaker 3: Is so yeah, it's he's still the coolest guy I am. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I'm like, that's that's the no one could do a better recommendation for Behind the Green Door of.
Speaker 2: The hottest the hottest man in history pretty much.
Speaker 4: Yeah. But yeah, so hopefully people also rediscover you know, Resurrection of Eve too, and like you said, the other Mitchell Brothers films, because arguably those are the even better you know films coming out too. So uh so, yeah, lots of good things with that and uh uh yeah, a lot of great adult stuff coming out, so for VSL by the time this airs, the other one people will see is another fun fifties monster movie called The snow Creature. And yeah this I think it's always a great day when a Bigfoot movie or a Yeti movie can be shown to the public and back out in the world. This one had again a crazy like you know, you couldn't see it the best way possible for the longest time. But yeah, but it came out and it looks as beautiful as it can be. But man, in the fifties it was. It was made in a weird time. Fair warning. It's you know, it takes place in a pall. They're searching for the Yeti actually comes to La and causes mayhem and havoc and everything ensues. It's great if you love the just the great B fifteen fifties B movies too. Another great person like working with I love Kim Newman. He does a great kind of video interview and talks about the different YETI movies and the start of that because it came out really around, actually came out I think earlier than Hammers. The Hominable Snowman two and it was just crazy to see, you know, these black and white things and people taking on these you know, the weird cryptozoological things very early and uh but fair warning, this is a film where it takes place in Nepal. Apparently they did try to find Nepali's actors time and they couldn't find them, so they literally hired Japanese actors who just speak Japanese, so people should be aware of that. And it's is, it is what it is. I don't know what else.
Speaker 2: Nothing beats white cannibal queen though just like Italian.
Speaker 4: Some of that, I mean, fair war even fair warning too. There is a Veil episode called the Return of Madam Vernoy I believe it's called, and it is definitely unfortunately uh or lack of a better term, where they definitely had European actors playing people from India and it takes place in India and it's just not the weirdest, but especially when they're go all out, Oh you know why, I think should be the perfect you know, half Hindu, half French person that I could think of. Well, apparently when they made it, they thought, uh, no, one like George Hamilton as his first role should be that person and you're like, what the hell. It's not the worst of the worst, but yeah, it's one. It's it's the only episode like that, but good episode. Otherwise, just weird, you know, and people should be aware of that stuff. But uh but yeah, otherwise, the snow Creature is just this great classic B movie, just weird the The Abominable Snowman comes to La and Savoc. So speaking of locations, yeah, it'll be interesting to see if people check out, you know, the they're like, oh, okay, I know that place too, and uh yeah, it's just another weird, weirdo B movie one that we get to put out. So yeah, that's the VSL. That's awesome.
Speaker 1: Well you'd said that tank Girl was the one you wanted to save to a last but I mean there's there's nothing small about being able to put out The Gambler.
Speaker 4: Oh my god. Yeah. The two cinematographs, both of them are fantastic. I mean the Gambler seeing that we I don't think. I've definitely seen bits and pieces on television, but I never saw the whole thing. And it's an amazing, amazing film. Justin really went all out on it, and it's just such amazing character piece because I think people are used to James Kahn playing like even in Elf, he's essentially a tough guy, you know, like in a lot of the films he's a tough guy. In this he is not a tough guy at all. He is against his type and is you know, very like it's not just vulnerability.
Speaker 2: It's like, I mean, he plays a loser, right, he plays him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're hitting him because he and he's an addict. He's literally a gamling addict. He he cannot stop, he cannot stop when and he it's like he has a rich he comes from a rich family. They said they'll help, they hand it to him, and he just he can't help himself, and he gets worse and worse. But the film is incredible. A lot of really early performances Paul Sorvino very young in it is great too.
Speaker 2: Uh, just the just everyone.
Speaker 4: Involved behind the scenes and the making of and there's new I guess great you know, interviews with the director as well and behind the scenes on it, and it's just it's just an amazing one that people can rediscover for themselves to I think, Oh.
Speaker 3: No, I was just gonna say the only thing I wanted to say was what what's great when I think Justin does a really good job of with Cinematograph is a combination of like things that need to be like rediscovered or discovered. But like The gam The Gambler is one of those movies I've been wanting to see for a long time and I just haven't gotten around to. Yeah, totally, but but it's one of those things where I'm like, yeah, if it's there, cool, But you know, as someone who subscribes, I'm like, oh, great, I could throw this in watch it, you know. And obviously because we're doing the pod, we watch everything from from mainline and sub labels that we can get to, and yeh, it's like a pleasure to be able to watch this and and then also like you know, there's also the discovery aspect of it. I don't think I would have ever sat down and watched joy Ride, King of the Gypsies, you know, I could I get bang the drum slowly, even the you know, you know Shanks, and like these movies that again, like you say, a lot of them have blu rays in some capacities almost free, but there's nothing that's going to bring my attention to them, because there isn't like a curatorial aspect to it most of the time. So it's just being put out because the studio has it and they know it'll it'll move a little, you know, and so so they'll put it on like a you know, it's like a bare bones release, whereas here it gets like real. And I've said it before, like when I make like my year end, like my physical media, like kind of stacks of what I love the most of each year. Since twenty twenty four, cinematographs had one in there. Twenty twenty four was Who Killed Teddy Bear was like, just oh my god, that that movie, Like I just had been dying to see it for years and it was incredible. And like I said, Joyride was like the big surprise, and then this past year it was bang the well a New Leaf was like the release. Oh, you know, like that's a no brainer. Yeah, but then like you know, bang the drum slowly. I otherwise wouldn't have watched, and I watched it and I was like, fuck, this movie rocks. I'm like glad I saw this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it's amazing. I mean what Justin does and curates, it's incredible and again the next year coming up is amazing. But man, what he did for also real quick at close range.
Speaker 3: Was oh god, yeah, I'm so stoked to revisit that.
Speaker 4: Like I couldn't believe. We got both Christopher Walking and Sean penn for interviews about it. They're amazing interviews and it was so great. I guess apparently like one wouldn't do it unless the other did, and then one yes, and then okay, well we're both doing it because I know, I know pennanties he doesn't do that many of these, like the interviews for the past, you know, for his past work, So it was great to hear him talk about all of this stuff too. And Christopher Walking, he loves the film. He was one of his favorites. So seeing that and then again get those great video essays about the real Johnson family. I think it was in Pennsylvania, the crime family, and it's just man, even that film left out some of the heinous ship that they that happened in real life too. So but yeah, going back to it, the Gambler is just another great cinematograph one.
Speaker 2: And what about the second title for the month, the second one?
Speaker 4: Uh and by the time this hears will be up. But uh married to the Mob?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so again fund Stay did a great blu Ray two. We just did another expansion of it and all new for four K on that four K transfer, it's beautiful, it's correct.
Speaker 3: Sorry, it just cut out for me. But do you say I'm married to the Mob? It was that's a four K No, no, no, that's not on you. That was on me, but not sorry. The title I got it was that you guys transferred it from the original negative. Is that what the right?
Speaker 4: Right? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I know what the FC ones that were like released a few years ago between that and Breathless, they were like for those were like interpositives or like less than desirable elements compared.
Speaker 4: To it and OC times that's all you got in general. Yeah, sure they could do. But uh no, it's beautiful, it sounds great, looks great. Uh and it's just one of those amazing films that again, it's just so fun. It's just so fun. You don't expect it to be because there are some dark moments in the film, but it's it's just so fun with it. And again brand new commentary and interview with Matthew Modine as well all about it and so yeah, there's an I can't remember all the time I had, but there's a ton of great extras on it as well. So uh yeah, it's a pretty excellent lineup overall. For for January, I think, real quick shout out. It's already sold out, but I guess they're getting the standards in soon too. Uh but so happy uh film movement, Oh man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we didn't even get to the partners. What a fucking months, man, I know, I am flat fucking broke because of Partner's Month, Like that's what Partner's mon, excuse me, partner releases. But yeah, I mean I can't believe. I'm so glad you brought that up, because like, yeah, I mean as soon as I saw The Great Silence before I even finished, as soon as my subscription went through, that's the first thing I picked up. I didn't hesitate.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and the same way I bought that, and then I also bought uh, I had to buy I've heard of it. I never saw it. But when they said for Canadian International Pictures, a Ghostkeeper, yeah, yeah, another crazy one too, and it's just summary looking at it too, trigger man, Like I never saw that I've heard of it, never saw it.
Speaker 3: But like, yeah, all these I mean even the Kannie one by by Love has been a long time people have been waiting for that. I'm shocked that's the slips aren't gone yet. They're down to like two hundred and eighty something. But like, yeah, still like the fact that that's like incredible. Yeah, like Chris just said the the you know, I know AGFA has all the HG. Lewis films, but they got you know, blast Off Girls, and yeah, like I grilled the body of the film, I know more than I No, I don't, I actually don't. Yeah, but you know, like and the Club Super eight one with the Christina Lindberg documentary was a hot seller. It's it's funny because I don't think there's any other distribution company that can like get these docs out because and this guy's come up in the discord. Documentaries are are a tricky thing in in terms of selling it because the rewatchability isn't there necessarily, right, It's more of like a it's it's a one time thing, so like most people, they'll relegate that to a rental or something else. Like in terms of seeing it, theatrically a repertory. So it's really cool that I think these like genre documentaries get get a chance because the problem is a lot of document modern documentaries are made for streaming, so they're there are these like they're they're like kind of digest versions that I don't know, It's not anything a Wikipedia search couldn't do. So it's cool that like something like the Christina Lindberg documentary or the ones that CIP puts out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they do it.
Speaker 3: They do it in incredible work with like a lot of political stuff that happened in the seventies, or's like a series they put out.
Speaker 4: Those, and also a company partnerly we'll called Film Desk too, I believe that's right. Yeah, the Chili in the nineteen seventies, dock, I forget the title of Oh what bell for Chili?
Speaker 3: Battle for Yeah, the Battle Battle for Chile. Yep, they did that. And then Film Desk also, did I believe they did Gods of Times Square. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I haven't seen it yet, but yeah, I do want to check that one out too. So there's so many. I'm as busy as I am, I have so little time to watch.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, one last question in regards to that, when you restore a film, how often do you watch a film before you restore it? Like, I don't think this was touched upon when you on the first episode that you appeared on, but like, yeah, when you watch a film or when you have to restore something, how often are you watching something like for reference or knowing, like you have to watch the film that it's entirety to know what you're in for in terms of restoration or how does that work for you?
Speaker 4: No, I usually if it's something in house, or whether it's in house or scan in La or Hong Kong or Italy doesn't matter. We you know, I gathered everything up too. But if it's something I'm scanning in house too, uh, I get it all together. And it's a film I've seen before, obviously I could go through and know okay, huh, we might need other footage from like the IP or something like that as well. It's a fill in or I'll know, okay, this seems complete, you know. But a lot of that type of thing that's for Curtis specifically too. He handles the you know, going through the references. Also Joe Rubin does too, but it's to go through every single reference to make sure we have the most complete version. When we get to something like the Upcoming Lady in White, which everyone knows has had three different versions, or especially with these Hong Kong and Italian film Giallo films too, because they they've also had multiple versions or cut versus uncut, and how do you know what you have? You know? And so there's that's Curtis like excels that with figuring out what version we have, what footage we need to source. In addition to so, I mean still to this day, what they with him would Oscar MGM to huge help get to me getting dirty work? The unrated or are rated cut? Yeah, all together was incredible to I.
Speaker 2: Don't think you're allowed to call it the r raty cut. Wasn't there something funny about that?
Speaker 3: Yeah? It was called the dirty cut, dirty or cut?
Speaker 4: Thank you? Sorry? Yeah, no my own rules here, yes, uh so because it wasn't rated. So but yeah, the dirty or cut. Just what they had to do to make that happen was just insane. It wasn't. It wasn't quite like New York Ninja, but it was almost like that level.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I remember, I remember when Oscar did the winding through for that. Yeah, seeing that, I was like, man, that's like heroic work. Man, that's like truly incredible, incredible, like the Valor.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I mean again and going with that, going with going back to television stuff too. You know, I know there's gonna be some crazy nineties stuff I'll want to do and to do it right, it's it'll probably be shot on film but edited on tape, which means like you have to just you scan everything. You scan it the dailies, you scan the original takes. We've done that before for feature films, like, uh, A great example I use is Haunted Ween from the Got Homegrown Horror. Yeah, it's a volume three, Yeah, volume three, thank you, And that was one where it was edited on tape, but we found the original camera negatives, but they were when I say uncut, it's literally like oh yeah, slate take one, wow, take two, like and getting that together. It's been crazy and it can be done. It can be scanned, It all be done.
Speaker 2: It just takes time.
Speaker 4: It takes time.
Speaker 3: For studio work. Is that is that much more of a cakewalk then? Like like in terms of like something like Tink Girl or Virtuosity where you know, there isn't like it's not a compromised thing. It's just uh, you know, that's a lot of your work.
Speaker 4: Never a cake walk for anure. It can be easier in terms of okay, there's one version. There's one version that was all always ever made, you know, with thirty work, obviously there there was two versions made, but obviously they changed it in previews for like the focus group and stuff like that afterwards, and uh, that's so you just don't know necessarily, but like with something like tank Girl, it has the one cut, as it were, and so it is easier. Never a cake walk, but it is easier on that sort of.
Speaker 3: That's yeah, yeah, it's yeah, that's funny. The way I had asked that, I'm like, oh, yeah, it's just the thing where you just scan it and you're like, all right, I'm gonna call it is a good time to just catch up on uh yeah, yeah, it's just scans in the background.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I know I could tell you upcoming vague, but people people will surely guess, I'm sure, but there's so many of those coming out were more than one cut people have not seen before and just figuring it all out so uh yeah, it's it's been it's been crazy. Uh, Curtis Man, more power to you dealing with all of this. I just just have to scan it.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, fair enough, fair enough?
Speaker 1: Yeah again, kind of as vague as possible here, Please keep it vage because the intent is not to be not to picture on the tight spot. Are there any first time film directors that you're excited about coming up this year, because that's one trend I've noticed the last two years. Y'all have just had some incredible film directors that you're able to get to their stuff. I don't think so okay, maybe maybe not Okay, that could be good. Brandon, It's it's always a joy to have you on. We we kind of talked about this off air to make sure you're okay with it. But anytime there's an iconoscope title or anything that you're just pumped about that you worked on, please come back and let's let's let's pump it up.
Speaker 4: Absolutely no, thank you guys again for doing this. Uh, thank you guys for getting the word out and having me on. It's been a long time coming.
Speaker 3: So yeah, this could truly I could spend another hour just like with how even longer like with the stuff that because we talked about everything, but I still feel like we're just scratching the surfaces, you know, totally.
Speaker 4: I mean you can do you can do a bonus one just talking about themselves, that's true. Yeah. So but anyways, it's been fantastic.
Speaker 3: Congratulations on the line. Man, very very glad to hear it's going. It's it's that you're like floating on cloud nine with this because it's awesome. I'm really looking forward to. But I'm like, of the titles that got announced for the sub label stuff, it's like some of the most exciting stuff for me. That and the Malo you scene stuff or just I'm so pumped.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, no, definitely. And everyone who's listening out there, who's already you know, taking a chance on my kind of scope. Thank you so much to the subscribers still subscribing. Thank you, Thank you for the bottom of our hearts because I know it's a lot from but man, you're amazing. And the regular customers to spy when they can what they can. Thank you for supporting physical media because if you don't, we go away. So and not just us, but everybody. So yeah, thank you for wanting to own your films so that you purchased you to own your purchases as it were.
Speaker 3: So beautiful, beautiful way to end it. Yeah, I couldn't agree more.
Speaker 2: Thanks Bnon.
Speaker 4: Thank you guys.
Speaker 2: Always a pleasure man, Thank you, jeez man, Just thank Brandon. That's so cool. Like I love every time Brandon comes on.
Speaker 1: You know, I think this is you know, this is kind of cliche to say, but like everybody you talk to you on the staff there, they just love movies so much.
Speaker 2: It's so awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think people really can take that for I keep saying in this phrase, but I think people can take that for granted when they releases out because they're like really are working Nonstine just listening to him talk about like working through what happened is is like appendix burst and he was like working through like literal medical nightmares. But you know, and you're right, like when you've had on special special feature features producer, excuse me, like when Claudia was on, when even when we talk to like Brett with AGFA, like they're living and breathing this stuff. So like if it's I think that really speaks to the preservation aspect of all of this, which I think is the most important part. So again, it's like we always say, it's exactly what we wanted from this conversation, like exactly what I was hoping to hear, and I loved every second of it.
Speaker 1: Well me too, Me too, Eli, We've got some We've got kind of an exciting twenty twenty six. Yeah, planned, I know you and I have a little bit more planning to do to finalize some ideas. But for the meantime, Instagram is the Hunk Vacation podcast. We're both on the VS discord. Do you want to tease what's coming up in the next week or so the next few days.
Speaker 3: Yes, we have an episode we recorded right at the end of the year with Celeste where we covered an incredible like a Murderer's Row releases in October, which included the Wes Craven movie, Fireworks, Woman a Blastic Double and Sato Volume one and I feel like I'm missing one more. We had a couple like partner titles, but but it's just we kind of go through everything. Celest did it as a live stream and she also they recommended, you know, hey, put this out as an episode. Happy to So We got the audio for that and that'll be coming out and it went so well, and because there's such a an insane amount of titles to cover, we're actually going to do this again with the November releases with and December partner stuff. So really really excited for that. And yeah, it'll be out within the next about a week from when this one comes out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, man, Well, thank you as always too.
Speaker 3: Hey, thank you, likewise, man, can't see you, see you in the next episode.
Speaker 5: What's up, Supernatural super fans. I'm Chrissy Lenz and I'm Nate mcwarter, and we're the host of Gang Gang That Drink, a supernatural drinking game podcast.
Speaker 6: It's the podcast where we make up drinking game rules for our favorite episode of our favorite show, Supernatural.
Speaker 5: We recap the episode for you and let you know how all the rules played out.
Speaker 6: Then we let you know the drinking game rules for the next episode so you can play along.
Speaker 5: Plus members get every episode early at ad free.
Speaker 6: With some extra bonus content chit chat at the end of each episode as a member exclusive.
Speaker 5: So download Gank That Drink, a Supernatural Drinking Game podcast wherever the finest podcasts are available.
Speaker 6: And or become a member at true story dot FM.
Speaker 3: Sash Gank that Drink.
Speaker 5: And when you're out there in the world saving people and hunting things, you know the family business. Keep the Gang that Drink motto in mind, be excellent to each other and party or dudes