Speaker 1: Lucky Land Casino asking people what's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky? Lucky?
Speaker 2: In line at the Delhi I guess ah, in my dentist's office more than once. Actually do I have to say?
Speaker 1: Yes? You do?
Speaker 3: In the car before my kids pta meeting?
Speaker 1: Really?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Excuse me? What's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 2: I never win?
Speaker 1: And tell well, there you have it.
Speaker 3: You could get lucky anywhere playing at lucky landslots dot com play for free right now?
Speaker 1: Are you feeling lucky? Nobrig just necesaryfoid? We're gonna be my long eighteen plus terms conditions of pluck seems every details it.
Speaker 3: Is Ryan here and I have a question for you. What do you do when you win?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: Are you at fist pumper, A wooo, a handclapper, a high fiver? I kind of like the high five. But if you want to hone in on those winning moves, check out Chumbuck Casino at chumbacasino dot com choose some hundreds of social casino style games for your chance to redeem serious cash prizes. There are new game releases weekly, plus free daily bonuses, so don't wait start having the most fun ever at Chumbuck Casino dot com No.
Speaker 2: Just necessary VOI where everyb I lost e terms it is eatingly lop tabian.
Speaker 4: You are now listening to True Murder The most Shocking Killers in True crime History and the authors that have written about them. Gasey Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker BTK. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host, journalist and author Dan Zupansky.
Speaker 5: Good evening. This is your host Dan Zupansky for the program True Murder, The most shocking Killers in true crime History and the authors that have written about them. In May twenty twelve, suspected serial killer Angel gurdy Gabrel was extradited from the Dominican Republic for the nineteen ninety three murder of his girlfriend, alte Gracia Valdez twenty four after new DNA technology linked him to the crime. Baldez was found on the living room floor of her apartment, her baby's son unharmed nearby. She was stabbed in the neck and shoulder and appeared to have been sexually assaulted. Gurdy Cabrel fought his extradition from the Dominican Republic for nearly two years. Police also spect him in a half dozen other crimes in the Bronx Manhattan and Queens, including rapes and murders, but he could only be charged with the nineteen ninety three murder due to a clause in the extradition deal. He was a detective supervisor for nineteen years and commanding officer of the Bronx Cold Case Homicide Squad, personally working on hundreds of murder and missing person cases. In his career, he has written The Criminal Investigative Function, a guide for a guide for new investigators, a real world look into criminal investigations from the crime scene all the way to the courtroom, all the actual legalities that impact investigations the most. The book we're featuring this evening is Bronx Cold Case Homicide, The Investigative Pardon me, The Investigative Function, with my special guest, Joseph L. Jack Coloney. Welcome to the program, Joseph, and thank you for ingreeing to this interview.
Speaker 6: Hi Dan, how are you?
Speaker 5: Oh fine? Thank you? I screwed up on the I had what I call this program was Bronx Cold Case Homicide. And before we go any further, I'll just explain to the audience we're going to be talking about is your experiences as commander of Bronx Cold Case Homicide. We're going to talk about some cases like the Angel Gabriel case that I mentioned in the introduction, but also The Criminal Investigative Function, a guide for new investigators, which is required reading, and we'll talk all about that, and just welcome to the program. And let's first talk about what you why you were in a position to want to write The Criminal Investigative Function.
Speaker 6: What was it?
Speaker 5: What was your position and what was the reason why you were convinced that you needed to write this book, The Criminal Investigative Function.
Speaker 6: Okay, well it's actually a twofold issue. When I started as an adjunct professor at John Jay College number of years agot to gain Mike seventh year. Now, I was teaching the criminal investigation classes and you know, most of it just you know, kids eighteen, nineteen, twenty years old, and you know, you know, you get these textbooks from some of these big companies and you get these huge textbooks that it's a great it's like a Dick Sary more or an encyclopedia. Let's look at that, you know, most of the criminal investigation textbooks that I found were more likely you know, Encyclopedia Britannica, and they just everything is an overview. Everything is you know, this is what this is, this with this, you know that with that is. And it's kind of one of those things where they they end up dealing with more what the uniform officer does than the actual detective. So I said, if I want to teach these kids, or teach even law enforcement on how to you know, conduct an actual investigation, I need to write a more of a practical guide. Then let's just say, you know, a descriptive guide or you know, a descriptive text that you find out there. And I wanted to do it too. Then respect that I wanted it easier to be understood. I wanted to run in investigative order. So they designed the book so that the student get you know, picks the case up from crime scene actually the notification of the crime, to the crime scene to the courtroom and everything in between. And I wanted to lay it out that way so that the student would be able to absorb everything that he or she had have to do in all those steps, so you don't miss them, and I throw in a lot of things, a lot of errors that I made, you know, as a supervisor and even as a mistigator way back when that to make sure you don't you know, you can avoid these things so that you know, we can move on from that. And the second reason that I wrote this book is that we have a big problem in the country where we're starting to see clearance rates, especially in murder, dropping in many major cities. And it has to do with a lot of the experience to investigators have retired or they've been transferred from investigations back to patrol work because of this whole downturn in the economy. So there was a real experience gap that I wanted to try to fill.
Speaker 5: Now, let us tell our audience what was your route personally? You talk about in very early in the book about what it takes to be actually become an investigator, and you say, this is the most one of the most asked questions in the classroom everywhere.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm sorry, go ahead. Now, it's usually the students that this is what they want to come right out of the police academy and go right into the detective bureau.
Speaker 5: You know, sure, well, tell us to tell our audience how it actually works. What is the entire process, and and take it from your experience. What was the process that you had to go through. And I'm sure you didn't do anything that no one else couldn't have possibly done, but you do say that this is an exceptional if you're going to get to be an investigator. This is not for everybody that enters into the into the police department. So tell us how exactly you did and got to this position, and take us through the entire process what you had to do to be able to be classified and to be qualified for this investigator rule.
Speaker 6: Okay, well, what usually happens. There's police departments vary from different ways, but most of them I wouldn't put a percentage on them, but I would say most of them have what they refer to as a system where you have to starting out of the uniform officer and work your way up through the investigative ranks. And I'll explain what that is. And there are actually some police departments, such as Philadelphia that actually has a written exam to become a detective. So you know, most of I said, most of it is the you know, you kind of earn it kind of thing, and there are actually two routes within the earn it kind of thing, and I'll explain that. What happens is after you come out of the academy, everyone gets assigned to a precinct. So I'm just gonna talk like in general terms of New York City because I'm not really so familiar with every police department's way of how they do this, but this is generally how most departments follow it. Out of the police academy, you get assigned to a patrol precinct or a district or you know where they have lots of different names for them. And what happens is you try to, you know, you try to get recognized by the amount of arrests that you do make and what they look for. They look for quality arrests, such as, you know, gun callers and you know where you're finding people out on the street with guns, and you're looking at areas where you know, you burglary collars, major felony collars, and some of them. They want to see if you what they call referred to as a pickup arrest, which is you didn't get it off the radio, like you didn't get a call that there's a robbery going on the street corner, you pulled up in your car and you interested the guy still there, So they want you to you know, they look for those individuals that will you know, observe it some of these things. Now, one of the incidents I was actually involved in an on duty shooting that involved they actually walked into a I'm just a regular call for disturbance and we ended up walking into a robbery in progress. So I kind of fell into the you know, I went into the warrants do any investigations right after for this incident. And what happens is after a certain number of arrests, what happens is most of the police officers they go into what they call the anti clime unit, which is the plane closed assignments where you're you know, driving around looking for guns and robberies and burglaries. That's basically what your role is, and it's you know, generally you work in knights and you're doing you know, you're really doing like that, beginning to build that investigative work. Once you're done with the anti crime section, you will then be chosen by the detective bureau. And what happens is in the city. What they have is the precinct patrol offices and the detective squad are in the same building, but they're run by two different bureaus. Each one has their own chief and each chief is the same rank, so it's really becomes like they're really separate, if that makes any sense. Yes, So what happens is and that's just so that you know, nobody, you know, sticks their nose into an area where they shouldn't. You know, where they shouldn't, so each one has the same level of rank so that you keep the peace. That way, everyone knows what their role they have to do. Between the detective Bureau and when I got promoted to I got promoted to sergeant pretty quick, and you know, it's for you know, basically for you know, exams for promotions and sergeants, and what they do is they scoop up people who have this type of experience or even don't into the Internal Affairs Bureau. And I ended up going into the Internal Affairs Bureau as an investigator as a sergeant and working there. They there's basically I mean, you can volunteer for but most people are there are forced to be there, and you learn how to do the internal investigations, which you know are easy and difficult all at the same time. And what happens is after you do your stint age, you're generally last a little over two years or two years. I ended up in the one to ten precinc squad, which was at a Corona which actually covers you know, Shay Stadium and well actually now a city field where the Mets play and you know, the tennis courts, and then you have you know, your your all the sections of Corona and Elmer's and all these other locations. And there I was responsible for We had about twenty at the time, twenty seven detectives, and we handled all the major crimes, murder, rape, robberies, you name it. You know, these guys and girls handle it. And part of my job was being able to manage these things and get them, you know, make sure that where these cases are going up, and you know, going out and making arrest with these with the teams and you know, finding doing search warrants and those kind of things. And that's and that's basically how how that that what that aspect of my career went. And then I was going to school. I finished up my mass degree while I was trying to do all this stuff. Believe it or not. I was married, no kids, so it was a little easy to go to work and work all day and overtime in school. But then you had to get your teachers to, you know, try to help you out and try to explain to them like, hey, listen, sometimes something might happen. I might not get the class. So you know, most of the teachers were you becx understanding, but probably not. Didn't miss too many too many classes because of that. And what I did then was after I got my master's degree and the chief had reached out to me and wanted me to put together the training unit for the detectives. So this is how I started getting into the training aspect and you know, really trying to impart some of the knowledge that I've had and then bringing other experts in who can teach the detectives how to do things. And my responsibility there for a couple of years was that I ran what we referred to as like the the NYPD Homicide School, which.
Speaker 5: I was gonna ask you about that because that's very interesting. You were the director of New York Police Department Homicide School, right.
Speaker 6: I ran six accredited homicide courses with college credits where the detectives actually, upon successful completion of the class, they have to take an exam and they would get three college credits. So it was more of, you know, a learning experience for the detectives to get all this information about how do you investigate a homicide? Because when you look at homicide, and I know from your you know, reading about you and your site and your books, one of the things that you learn is that a homicide is what we refer to as the exemplar, the example for every type of investigation. Every thing that you can learn how to investigate in a homicide, you would use for the much lesser crimes. You know, your obberies and your births, you use the same things that you would for the homicide. It's just that and the homicide you pull out all the stops. So if you teach the detectives how to handle the homicides, those skills that you teach them how to handle homicides will filter it down into the lesser crimes. And you know, and like in my experience, I always found that rape wasn't a lesser crime per se, even though it is in the penal law. You know, what I found is that, you know, if you kill somebody dead, you know, the family had to suffer. But unfortunately, with rape victims, I found that they suffer their whole lived, their relationships and everything else. So you know, to me, rape was always a crime that was more devastating than even murder.
Speaker 5: Now you'd say in your book early on as well that and you'll have to be specific about this because it's you know, maybe it sounds like we're watching TV a little bit where, but anyway, you talk about that the victim advocate, and that's your role as an investigator, and tell us, you know how long you did do this, but you were the victim advocate, and you said this was the most rewarding and satisfying. I just think it might be frustrating. So tell us why specifically was rewarding and not frustrating as I might have imagined initially.
Speaker 6: Well, well, one of the things as the investigator and as the supervisor, and the eventually from my dealings with the homicide school and all that other stuff, I was chosen by then Chief of Detectives at the time to head up the Bronx cold case squad as pretty much as like an reward of you know, getting this thing together, and because I actually got the class of credited to through the state, so this was like a bonus for all the detectives and so kind of my reward, and I wanted to get back out there and do what I referred to as real police work, even though you know you're helping out all these other aspects. I always felt that I wanted to get out there. But even from the detective squad or even when I was in the cold case squad, the victims advocate is a big part because many individuals in the public think that the police, you know, just don't care, or you know, this is not an important case, or you know, it's something that all that you know, the case is cold, or the case has to be reopened. And I always just explained that, you know, homicides are never closed. They're always open. They just have to be re examined from time to time. But when you reach out to the family members, either with good news or bad news, you know, and you try to make contact.
Speaker 2: With the lucky landslopts, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 1: This is your Captain speaking. We've got clear runway and the weather's fine, but we're just going to circle up here a while and get lucky. Oh no, nothing like that. It's just these cash prizes add up quick. So I suggest you sit back, keep your trade table up right, and start getting lucky pay for.
Speaker 2: Free at lucky landslaps dot com. Are you feeling lucky? No purchase necessary void. We're prohibited by Law eighteen plus. Terms and conditions apply see website for details.
Speaker 6: Of course, you know as part of the investigation and is the victimization part. And no matter if you're doing a crime that just happened five minutes ago or a crime that happened five ten years ago, the victimization part is becoming is the most important part of your investigation because you've got to get to know who your you, your victim, is why they became a victim of a crime, what led up to this event. And the issue comes down to is what we're victimized by. You know, somebody we know more times than not. So when you get to know your victim, you might end up identifying suspects in the case.
Speaker 5: So you say, this makes good police sense anyway, just to find out as much about this person as a human being as possible anyway, Yes.
Speaker 6: And to get to the family members, you know, and then you know he's trying to show you're you know, in the cold case part of it, in the in the liaison part, you have, you know, this thing where you call up somebody that they haven't heard from the police probably in ten or fifteen years, and you know, it kind of makes the you know, the public, the general public, the families, you know, confident in the way that the police work and that there are people out there that still care that we still try to carry on. You know, you're the last there's a cold case person. You are the last liaison between the police department and the public, and you know, and that's your role as the advocate to keep that relationship going. And you have to be very careful when you're dealing with that also because you don't want to get somebody's hopes up high. So you know, when if you're contacting a family, you have something you know, either as a DNA hit or some other type of you know, information maybe from you know, that was developed through an arrest of somebody, and I wanted to make a deal, I mean, you know as well as I do. There are you know, a dozen things. Why cases that were so old that all of a sudden now come to light because new evidence comes out.
Speaker 5: Sure you know that, well you must have seen. DNA has been probably the thing that people hear about most because that's the thing that can well it's not the only thing, but that's what people hear about most, is new DNA discoveries because DNA technology advanced and for example, you could use a smaller sample to be able to do yeah, or detail tests as time went on. So and some police departments before even the advent of DNA had the good sense or forethought to package everything.
Speaker 6: Up and so well, yeah, that's a problem though because at the time, most the least departments, even the one I worked for at the time, we didn't understand those whole stuff about DNA, you know, ten, fifteen, twenty years ago, and you know, most of the stuff that was package was packaged improperly and put in plastic. And one of the things that you learn about DNA is that it's in the plastic, it degrades very quickly because of the moisture that gets built up inside the plastic. So even if you have a DNA sample, if it was put in plastic, there might be a possibility that the evidence was destroyed. Things could be It can't be reversed. But for instance, if you find something in plastic ahead of time and you try to and you freeze it, you know, if there's something that you can save, but you know, then you're okay. But like even when you were talking before about the size of a sample, I mean you needed the size of about a half a dollar, and now you need about eight cells, so that you you know, we can't even see unless you have a microscope and the the wave, the forensics and the DNA are moving at lightning speed. You know, with the introduction of touch DNA or familial DNA, these are the things that can really help out, especially in cold cases where you might not have had anything before, and now this new technology all of a sudden afford you a suspect or a couple of suspects.
Speaker 5: Right, Well, let's let's use that as a sort of a segue. We can get we can get back to this the criminal investigative process. But let's use this sort of a real world example here with the case that we were we should discuss as this angel Gerty Cabrel and so tell us when you became involved in how you became involved, and tell us a little bit more how DNA was involved in this case specifically.
Speaker 6: Okay, this case is still you know, he's he's under rest, he hasn't got a trial yet, so I have to be careful about, you know, saying certain things, so I'll dance around certain issues. And but what happened was when I first came into the cold case squad, this case had received a DNA hit. And what happened was way back in the late nineties, a couple of detectives had suspected this individual angel as being involved in the potential murders and they had gotten permission to get a DNA sample from them. He had given them permission. There's three ways that you can lawfully get a DNA sample, and I used to call it the three c's, consent, court order, or covertly. Right, So consent is the easy one if the person says yes, and you can get it without a warrant. The covertly you have to get it secretively, and the court order, you know, it's just what it sounds like. You go get an affidavit and you probably cause. So what happened was they had he had they had taken a swab from him through a consent, and I guess he realized at the time that this DNA was eventually going to come back to a crime scene Hitt and cotis. Now, you know, there are two different databases and codis. You have the crime scene database that they referred to as the forensic database, which is your unknown and then you have your known database or you're convicted database, which is anybody that's you know, certain states different rules, but some of them have now arrests, some of them have conviction and they take a DNA sample of you know, they had the person's name and all the information and they have it in the system. Well lo and behold. At the time, you know, DNA took a long time in order to get stuff back. By the time the DNA hit had come back, he had fled the country and you were kind of like the at square one. And what happens was back at the time when the Dominican Republic and the United States really didn't have any extradition rules, anybody who went back to the Dominican Republic, you were basically not getting them out of the country. So yeah, I mean that's basically where it was. It was an old administration. I forgot who the president was at the time, but it changed. It changed a number of years ago when the new new administration had come in and one of the friendly as posture with the United States, and well, what happened was the detectives and we started working on these cases and we started to realize some similarities between some of the other crimes that had happened in different you know, within the Bronx in different burroughs. And the detectives put this together and they ended up finding several cases that you know, could have could match this stuff. So what we did was we went and you found all these cases, you dug up all the evidence, had DNA tested, had low behold, you get hits on you know, different cases. So yeah, so and it's like, you know, it's amazing though, you know when you sit there and and you know, we had gone and we had spoken to you know, family members and different things to try to find out what exactly was going on, try to find out the connections. You know, there's there's one thing that you're you know, you're looking for, and we have developing a list of suspects and I put it in the book. I always say you have to look for mom the means, opportunity, and motives. Those are your three elements that you have to satisfy it before you have a suspect. Because if you can't get one of those elements, you don't have a suspect. So you always look at, you know, the means of the person able to do this, whether you know, the opportunity, where they actually available to do it, where they were they even in the state where you know, one of the things that you find out when you like somebody and then you're you know, you run them in the database. You find out that the guy's in jail, you know, so you find it out, God, he doesn't even have the opportunity anymore. So there goes that idea, you know, and then the motive of course, and you know what motives run the gavit. I mean, most people are killed for love, money, and drugs. So you can, you know, pick any one of those three and and you know, run just about any case with it. You know, this just one just happened to be, you know, acts of random violence at some points, so you know, not even you know, love money or drugs, just one of those things.
Speaker 5: What is, without compromising the upcoming trial is what was it about those cases? What was the shared characteristic or one of the shared characteristics that sort of pointed in the direction that they could be this one offender.
Speaker 6: We would call it behavioral crime scene analysis. So yeah, things that happened in the crime scene that you would actually that happened in different burrows, so there would be no way that these things wouldn't be connected. So you know, I know I'm up a little vague, but I think you can understand what I'm referring to, Like, so something happened in the specific crime scene that normally doesn't happen. I mean, you look at the behavioral evidence a lot where it's the you know, not so much the the modus operenda, the moo, but the signature.
Speaker 5: If you want to call it, right exactly, So he left.
Speaker 6: A specific signature at one burrow, and then he did another crime similar and another one and left the same signature. So you were able to then tie the two crime scenes together without even before DNA evidence, because they were so similar that you would you know, it was it would be pretty simple to do it, but you had to look for you know, this wasn't one of those things where oh, by the way, you know, you just pushed the magic button on CSM Miami and you find out all this information.
Speaker 5: Now, how how much was this information reviewed? Like, was this a sort of old geez that case? Well, wait a minute, I think that case reminds me of this other case. How much of a review did you guys have to do to then see those similarities between the shared signature of those crimes. Was it something that some of your detectives had worked on before, or it you had to refresh yourself. Tell us exactly how that process was.
Speaker 6: This was a long, painstaking process where you just read about every open homicide that was out there, and at the time there was just there were four thousand open homicides in the Bronx alone that we had to deal with, and that didn't include New York County, King's County, which is Brooklyn, Queens at An Island, which is known as Richmond County. So you were dealing with thousands and thousands of homicides. And the records that they had kept back then were all in books, so they were in the process or they're in the you know, they've probably finished by now the process of getting all this information into an electronic database. Now you say, well, you know, how do you not have all this information? I mean when you have volumes of you know, books, you know, it doesn't it takes a long time to get that stuff entered into the system. So eventually it'll be you know, they had a lot of it in there, but you know, some of this stuff you still had to look through books. But what you would do is you would do your searches, so you would pick you know, female victims, you know, you know, stabbing, shooting, whatever, you know, you choose whatever cause of death that you think that you would be you know, looking at or let's say, if you had cases where you thought where there was like prostitutes were being used and that wasn't in this case, but you know, you would check off, you know, prostitution you know as a possible you know reason why that the victim and the perpetrator actually together. So you know, there's different things with computers now and the analysis that these these things can do they are amazing. But most of the stuff we had to do is through looking through books and then pulling the cases and finding the cases, which always becomes a mystery ol in itself. You know, these companies cases twenty years old, fifteen years old, and you you know, have to go dig through the archives. And like I said, sometimes that's that's part of the mystery itself, trying to find these cases and then find the detectives. And you think nothing of reaching out to a detective that looked that investigated the case twenty years ago. I mean the guy's retired now, you know, ten fifteen, twenty years Sometimes and you call them up at the house. You know, you'd have to call the union, you get the phone number, you get thing, and you reach out to these guys. And never once did I have somebody tell me they didn't want to talk about it. Sure, you know, people, you know, have to understand that when they choose murderers. There I say this quite often that when people choose murder as their answer to get out of their problems, you know, they don't realize the wheels that they put in motion. I mean, there are people like myself and many of the other members of police departments all across the country. You know, they this is what they do. They don't you know, they don't give up. You're like a pitbull. You just you know, grab onto something and you keep on and you know, pulling at it. And really what everything comes down to, and no matter what investigation you're looking at, everything comes down to your interviewing skills, getting information from people, asking the right question, you know. And that's why we always do or are interviews in person. So sometimes these detectives would travel all over the country just to talk to people. You could do things over the phone, but you don't get the same thing. Like so, for instance, if you were I were sitting in a studio right now, conversation to be different because you could watch body language and cues, and you know, you could ask a question and then I might think of something else and you could see the eyes light up, you know, so we know that you're on the right trail on something if you know what I'm talking about. Sure, yeah, absolutely so, I mean, these are some of the things that you as an investigator do. And I always try to preach to every investigator I speak to now even after I'm retired, that always do your interviews in person because you see the face, you watch the non viable body language, you see if they're comfortable with certain questions and not.
Speaker 5: Well as certain that you hope to sometimes intimidate a witness, and it must be a little bit easier in person than over a telephone.
Speaker 6: Right, Well, I'd say, I don't like to use the word intimidate, but it's, you know, like everything else, if you have a police officer standing at your car window asking for your license, registration, insurance cards, it's a lot more unnerving than it would be too, you know, if you just see her sitting on the side of the road, it's not really so bad. But yes, I mean it's it's your mere presence alone, is is what they actually have on the continuum use of force, you know, on police use of forces, the first part of force, police force is your actual presence, wherever it may be foreboding as it may be. The uniform, the suit and tie and your you know, your pin. You know, it's just one of those things where your personal appearance plays a big role in that. You know, so detectors always had to look the part, you know, shirt and tie and suit, and you know, that's what people expect to see.
Speaker 5: No, A big part of investigation is the interview, and and so tell us that you taught homicide school and you were commander of this cold case squad. Tell us about interviews. I mean we kind of know from from television, but tell us the real skinny on what is your real philosophy behind interviewing and and if you can impart some of you know, a particular interview yourself that you were involved with. But tell us about the interview.
Speaker 6: Okay. One of the things about well, there's two different aspects of this, right, we have interview and then you have interrogation. So the interview is the is the you know, knocking on the door and asking for information. And I remember we went to this house on an old case and we knocked on the door and this little old lady answered the door and we told them we were from the cold case squad and then she's like, you know, like, oh from television, you know, And we just laughed and we said yes, and then we said we're it is Ryan.
Speaker 3: Here And I have a question for you. What do you do when you win? Like are you at fist pumper, a woo or a handclapp or a high fiver? I kind of like the high five. But if you want to hone in on those winning moves, check out Chumbuck casino at chumbacasino dot com. Choose from hundreds of social casino style games for your chance to redeem serious cash prize. There are new game releases weekly, plus free daily bonuses, so don't wait start having the most fun ever at chumbuck Casino dot com.
Speaker 1: No, we're not necessary daily.
Speaker 2: I lost her renditions eating plays.
Speaker 6: Investigating this case, and she stopped and she looked at us and says, you guys are still investigating this thing, you know, And we're saying, yeah, we're just laughing whatever. So we we were talking to her, and what happened was her husband was an ear witness to the case. He had heard this gunshot that had happened, and he had ran to the window and he saw this car driving away from the scene. He saw the body laying there, and you know, so now it's like I can see how old this lady is and this happened. I think it was like eighteen years prior to that. So I'm like dancing around the issue now because I don't want to ask her rite out if her husband is still alive or not, you know, so you know, and it's kind of difficult. So I'm kind of like beating around the bush and she's just like, Okay, Sonny, you could just ask me. I'm like, is your husband's still around that I could talk to him. She's like, nah, he died a long time ago. She said, you should just come out and say it. You know, so she invites in the house. But really what it comes down to in an interview is that rapport building something that I did with this lady whatever that you know, kind of got her to like me to open up about certain things. So when you're dealing with the interview skills or the canvassing where you're knocking on the doors, that rapport building becomes a real big issue in respect that does this person like you? So sometimes you might have to try to find a common ground. You know, maybe you know you're enter the house or you're on the stoop and you know they're wearing a baseball cap and you might want to talk sports for a few minutes, right, get somebody off the topic of why you're really there, get them to get them comfortable. But in an interrogation, you know, it's no longer a friendly things. It's really it's confrontational. The person is there, they pretty much know why they're there. It's a psychological game where you have to have all your information. You got to have all your ducks in a row, so to speak. So, for instance, you have to know everything about the case, everything that happened, every interview that was done. And this makes it difficult because you're trying to and sometimes in a big case there were different detectives that would help out and you know, in an active case, and then write reports. So you have to make sure these reports you read them before you went into your interrogation room because you wouldn't want to miss out on a specific fact. And the idea behind behind knowing everything is pretty simple because how in the world would you know if this person was lying to you if you didn't know all the facts about the case. So that's the most important aspect for any investigator. Know everything you can about that case before you go in there. Ideally, interrogation is always the last step and when you go in there, and like I said, when we would I was doing this. I never asked the question that I didn't know the answer to already. So if I asked the question, I knew what the answer or what the real answer was, and then you would see what this person was not like TV where you have, you know, forty five minutes and three commercials, you know, to solve a case, you know, like co case, the case they'll them for thirty seven years, right, they close it in forty five minutes. Yeah, unlike the real world where you know, these things take you know years to develop. The issue that comes down to is that what you have is you know, either person's gonna lie to you, you keep on, you know, you just let them keep on lying. And you know, like the old proverbs says, you know, give you enough rope, you're gonna hang yourself, you know. And TV though, right, the first time they lie, they jump on it. And the other thing that TV does that's really not accurate is they do this tag team thing where you have the two investigators in the room and you know, and they're both asking questions. That's not the way it's done. There's only one person that ask the questions. The other person is there for taking notes. And I say that you know, they're like children, they're seen and not heard, you know, so they you know, you don't do the tag team thing because you confuse people and you could also set you could also set off the investigation or the interview and the interrogation excuse me in a you know, on a tangent by asking the wrong question or interrupting. You know, it's about you know, when you're interviewing somebody's per se, it's about that stream of consciousness trying to get people to remember. So if you're interviewing a witness to a crime or a victim, when you ask that open ended question, which is like to tell me a story question, you know, I try to get the detectives to selet just let the person do the talking, don't interrupt them, because when you interrupt people that you break that stream of consciousness. And I always give the analogy to when I'm teaching my classes, I say, you know, imagine that you know, you had that dream that everything goes right and the phone rings in the middle of the night. You can never get back to that dream, right, You just never get there. So it's you know, no matter how many times you fluff your pillow and find the you know, the spot without the spring, you never get back to that dream. So, you know, those are the most important skills that an investigator has to take into that room. Be patient till you know.
Speaker 5: Unlike law and Order, which I'm a big fan, and a lot of people I'm sure that read true crime sort of get the impression about law to a great degree from programs like Law and Order, which aren't They're fictional, but there is some truth behind it, staying with the interview itself, unlike the Law and Order version where they push for the person to crack and confess. Bring other people that are involved in the crime that just happen to be in the hallway. Of course that's not true. But tell us about the interview itself. You say that you get them to give them enough ropes so they can hang themselves, and once they've hung themselves, you're not confronting them per se. What do you do? And you say you can't solve these cases in forty five minutes. What's a typical interview in terms of length? And if there's some things that we've seen on television that are true, tell us and the things that are blatantly not, tell us about those.
Speaker 6: Okay, So, so, for instance, the first thing that you should like, you know, if you see them on Law and Order all the time, when they go into that a little interview room and they have this huge glass window and everybody's outside looking. That's that's not true. The windows very small. It's a two way mirror. But like everything else, in daylight or regular or you know, too much light at night, the person in that room could still see through the glass. That room is specifically just for witnesses and victims to use for lineup purposes and for another detective or another investigator to watch an interviewer and interrogation to try to learn from some of the people. And I always encourage some of the DETECTI especially some of the new ones, like you know what, you should stand outside and watch these two guys and how they talk and what they do and how they go about doing it. So it's it becomes like a learning tool for new investigators to sit and watch people who've done it for years, and some people are better at this. But the issue that comes down to is that as a supervisor, sometimes you have to pick the person that that you know to go into that interrogation room. Somebody maybe who had a who maybe locked this person up in the past and had had a better or somebody had a better rapport with them. And you know a lot of cops don't realize it that you know how this person gets treated out on the street by the uniform cops really set the tone about you know how much this person is going to dig their heels in once they get into that interrogation room. So you try to treat everybody, and you try to teach the cop and you treat everybody with respect. You treat them, you know, nice and and believe it or not, it makes the detective jobs a lot easier. So you know, you don't parade people through like that and let them see people on purpose. And you know, especially got for bid a witness or a victim. You know, that's the last thing you on earth you'd ever want to see. And and you know what they do is they they kind of show you, like when it's that co conspiraed a thing where they you know, they got the arrested their co defendant. Remember that the that the police as part of the Supreme Court can lie and they can use deceit and trickery, but they can't you know, in certain places you can't fabricate evidence. So for instance, I can tell you that DNA was found at the crime scene, but I can't show you a report and says this report from the lab says, this is you. You know, that becomes too suggestive and it becomes too much of an issue. But believe it or not, in certain states that's allowable, but in New York that's not allowable. So for instance, let's not give you a scenario. Let's just say you had a suspect in a rape case and there's DNA that's been recovered. You walk into a room, what do you think The first question that the you know what happens is you always look at it as are you a baseball fan? Dead a little bit? Okay, So I'm gonna use a baseball analogy. When the batter is way for that fastball, right, he's sitting on it. He's going to hit this thing out of the park. But if he's waiting for a fastball and that slow curveball comes, what happens to the batter? Right? He needs buckle, He doesn't know what to do, he can't swing, and he kind of looks foolish. Well, as the interrogator, that's how you have to be. You're the pitcher and the guy in that room is the batter, and you have to keep them more balanced. They already have their story in play, they've rehearsed it a dozen times, they kind of figure out what the first question is that you're going to ask them. And I always developed that curveball question where instead of showing a photo of the victim and say, hey, do you know what that's what he's waiting for, maybe my first question I might ask him is do you know what DNA is? And see his or her reaction from that, And now, what do you think he's thinking of the entire time as I'm going through the paperwork? Do they have my DNA?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 6: All the story that he came up with, he forgot, He's not even thinking about that right now. Always thinking of is oh my god, they got my DNA?
Speaker 1: So you know this?
Speaker 6: And you know, maybe down you know, maybe you know question ten or fifteen into it, I might show a photograph and say, do you know who this person is? I didn't have a saw before in a life. Okay, you sure you don't know what DNA is? Let me see that picture again? You know, Oh yeah, yeah, I know her? You know that that kind of stuff. So you break down the denials and you break down the you know, the combativeness by you know, keeping somebody off off face. So what do you think the number one alibi is that most people have take a shot in the dog. What people say where they were or what they were doing at.
Speaker 5: The time they were home alone.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they were home watching television, right, That's that's and I always I usually to say, okay, before I ask you, let me guess you were home watching television, right, And they kind of like, yeah, I was home watching television. Okay, So they think the next question is going to be you know, uh, you know, what was I watching? Because they looked at DV guy, they know exactly what was on. They knew what would the episode was. So I might ask them, hey, did you get any food? Did you order out? Yeah? Well I had pizza. Okay, I'm going to ask you twenty questions on the pizza. Did you have it delivered, did you pick it up, where'd you pick it up, what was the address, what did the person look like in a delivery? How much was the pizza? What kind of pizza did you get? Right? So I can ratle off twenty questions in a row about something that has nothing to do with anything but just what I used to refer to as killing the alibi persona, And those are the skills that you develop over a long period of time, and those are the things you know. Like even sometimes my wife hates when I ask for questions or do something because I always I might do something like that and drive it crazy. But psuter comes down to it's like, you know, he'd never forget how to do these things. And I tell people, don't bother lying to me, because I've heard every lie in the book, So just you know, be straight. I'd rather have you to tell me that you don't like me or whatever, then we'll move on. That's not a big deal.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it can't be fun for the kids.
Speaker 6: Huh yeah, well, oh yeah, gosh. You know, the issue that comes down to is that it's it's a gift. It's a blessing in disguise, and sometimes it's a it's a real pain in the ass because even when you go to the store and you know, ask a good person a question and they you know, the way people say the words they use, like for instance, if you're not feeling well and somebody writes in the card, hope you feel better, right, and they leave out the eye, they really don't care. You know, that's that's you know, you lose the personal fact out of that. So when people say, you know, they leave out the eyes and the wheeze and the usses when they're talking, you have to really start looking at that. It's part of that statement analysis. But and you really get into what people say and how they say it, and then you can usually turn the words against them when they say so. Basically, then you have no idea then, right, you know, well, yes, okay, thank you. You know, so I could be a horror at the customers service line.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, Now this is a criminal investigative function. This book has become required reading. Tell us who it's required reading for and why they have adopted the obvious question, but why they've adopted this book as explain a little bit more about that.
Speaker 6: Okay, Actually what happened was I didn't find out right away. I was somebody had told me. They said, you know, Joe, your your book on Amazon is like it is like number two in all of law enforcement books. And I'm like, wow, So I went onto Amazon. It's not like I check these things every day. I go into Amazon. I say that it's number two in all of law enforcement books, and I'm like, what is going on? So and I said that maybe a couple of maybe two or three people bought it in the same day, who knows. And it wasn't. It wasn't during a school semester where you know, you and I I have a couple of colleges using it once and you see the book sales, you know, skyrocket. This was like in between time. So we started the publisher and I said, well, listen, you know the book for the last couple of days has been really selling a lot, and now it's sold out. What's going on? Oh we didn't tell you. I'm like, no, it happened. Oh yeah. The State of New Jersey had requested a review copy the Civil Service Commission and they decided to use it as an adoption for police promotional example. I almost fell up the chair when they told me this, just to you know, this was it started off with the sheriff's exam, which was something like, you know, twelve hundred sheriffs. So I was like, we kind of I was like proud of it because it kind of gave my work some validation about how easy it is to read and how any police officer or a detective can use this case used this book and it's actually led now to The second edition just became published a week ago, so thanks. Yeah, we completely revised it and expanded it. We added basically, we made the book larger on the size, had one hundred pages or so with illustrations and photos. So I'm trying to build a so called beachhead in the in the criminal investigation textbook realm. Because there are hundreds of criminal investigation textbooks. What separates mind from everybody else's is that it's a practical guide and what really So the Jersey picked it up was very exciting, but you know who other schools picked it up, like journalism schools, investigative journalism, people who want to know how the you know who are going to be working as journalists of future news reporters, and you know, they're using the textbook to teach the students about, you know, what the police procedures are and how they can go about doing and then learning how to write about. I never even anticipated that audience. And then it fled into crime writers and then you know, I got I got a number of talks like the Sisters in Crime had invited me to come out and speak to the groups about you know, because these are all the published authors whatever. Here I am amongst all these these ladies who've written, you know, dozens and volumes of books and and you know, I'm talking to them about police procedure and how to do these things. And they have great audience and and I get emails from different workshops and groups, and I've done it's it's really been a fun time. And I'm building what they so to speak, my platform. And I've been in the newspaper a lot lately. I was just in New York Times the other day. I post them on my I have an author website at Joji Wrights dot com, and I just post all the author interviews that I've done. So I'm kind of excited. I'm kind of proud of it. I'm working hard. I'm trying to shoot you know, you know, people like you that give me the opportunity to come on the you know, on their radio show. I mean, I greatly appreciate this stuff. And it's, you know, opportunities like this don't you know, don't come around often, so you jump on these things. You try to make everything work, try to keep everybody happy. And you know, I've been I've been very fortunate, so I really can't complain, well.
Speaker 5: It's it's testiment to the book itself, and you say how practical it is, but also that you know that it's a very engaging book and it's surprised. Like I was surprised too. I didn't even think of it myself, but yeah, fictional writers wanting to know what the police procedure really is rather than reading another fictional book with all the you know, inaccuracy. So yeah, it's very very interesting. But I think the most proud obviously would be that you're using it for promotions for police. That it's adopted by police departments itself. That's fantastic, and so you cannot ask for anything better than that, you know, really.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and actually, you know, like they have schools for the police promotional exams, you know, they have these things. And a couple of the owners of the schools reached out to me. They want to talk to me about certain aspects of the book, and you know, and one of the things, actually one of the guys that actually kind of gave me a compliment was but he goes, I read the book. I liked the book a lot, you know, and it is basically it reads like a novel. It's written like a novel where you know, you can almost see the steps being taken. And you know, if you just plug in a titious character from the beginning of the book and you work your way through, you can pretty much, you know, write your story. So you know, I never thought about these these things before. It is actually it always strangers that bring me things up to you that you just sit there and you scratch your head, you say, wow, never thought.
Speaker 5: Well. I think that's the thing that the true crime. I know that the audience that we have, I've done some you know, varied programs from I always talk about the perspective, so the authors come from different perspective by nature of who they are. Sometimes it's a journalist. Lots of lots of journalists team up with police officers for that invaluable connection and connection to police information. And also I think just to give them the nuts and bolts without having to try to concoct that themselves for the book itself. The other thing is that the the other we've had a perspective where we have judges, we have lawyers, we have victims and victims families and so all these different perspectives. But what I found interesting was the a Bronx cold case squad, homicide expert, somebody that's been in the field, and then takes us all the way through from the very very earliest stages right to the courtroom and to the conviction. So that's something that you just don't get. And I think that's what people appreciate, that you taking the reader through this experience as you did it yourself, and then using certain cases as example. So I think that's the perspective that even the true crime reader is looking for, just a different little perspective from because lots of true crime books are fairly formulaic. So it's interesting when somebody like a police officer writes a book because of his involvement and because of the incredible access that he has and from his perspective.
Speaker 6: So right, And one thing is like if I write book, I don't have to do all that research, which is great, you know. So you know, like I said, if I had to write a book on you know, I had to work a computer that I had to do like you know, month's worth of research. But you know, this is something where you know, I did it for so many years. It's kind of old hat. And like I said, my my real goal is to write a fiction book. That's my that's my real goal. But I'm actually currently writing two new books, also practical guys. I'm doing a police patrol book and actually a law enforcement it's like basically like the handbook for you or a guy to somebody's law enforcement career, which is basically for that eighteen nineteen twenty one year old crowd out there who want to get involved in policing. It's a great profession, it's a noble profession. And yeah, and it's right now is the time if you any of your listeners, anybody that follows you, I know you have thousands of people that follow you on this. This is great. You know, I always might tell my students, if this is what you want to do, you have to go out and do it. So you have to go out and actively pursue a test and take the test and do all these things. No one's gonna, you know, just hand you a police badge and a gun and say, hey, we heard you wanted to do this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I think this will tell you whether you have what it takes as well, because this this is takes the fictional varnish off of the whole thing and tells you exactly how things are actually done. And you sort of warn people in the beginning of the book that you know, if you think this is going to be easy, maybe you should apply for something else.
Speaker 6: Yeah, on average, it takes about ten years to get to where you really want to go.
Speaker 5: And when would you talk about the you know, the young person, are you sort of you know, I for the audience that doesn't live in New York City, It lives in smaller centers. I'm in Canada, so I'm in a place that's maybe seven hundred thousand, but certainly you're in the biggest uh fish pity, one of the city's biggest cities in the world. And with that comes from very very very serious crime. And so murder is different and rapes are different, and and yes, like again you just mentioned a serial killer like it was nothing. Lots of people, you know, have read about serial killers.
Speaker 4: That's about it.
Speaker 5: You have you know, worked and been involved with serial killers, right, I mean, And you know.
Speaker 6: What's interesting about New York is that we don't have a lot of you know, people think are based on TV and stuff that we have all these serial killers run around believe it or not, New York. They're very rare. I mean I can name two or three or four of them on the top of my head. But we have a lot of what I refer to as acts of random violence right where somebody stepped on somebody sneaker in the subway and they got shot dead for it. I mean, you know, it's amazing some of the things that you see, and you know, some of the things that are killing. But we're having a phenomenal year the last two years in murder. I mean, we had the lowest rate of murders is like the nineteen sixties, you.
Speaker 5: Know, and compet clearance straight what kind of solt rate you have to in terms of percentage for that.
Speaker 6: I don't know the actual number, but I know nationwide the numbers are around sixty five percent, so I'm assuming they would be around there. But we've seen places like Philadelphia and Chicago and New Orleans where some of their clearance rates are absolutely miserable. You know, we're talking in the thirties, in the twenties. I mean some of these things were and yeah, I mean Philadelphia, I think, off the top of my head was thirty thirty eight percent when I looked it up. I mean, that's that say you're telling me that sixty two percent of all murderers are still walking around Philadelphia or something. That's basically what you're looking at. That's yeah, no, no, And if you look at it, if you look at it, even at a sixty five or even a seventy percent clearance rate, we average about sixteen thousand homicides in the United States alone, so you're looking at you know, almost five thousand homicides a year go cold in the United States. So in ten years, that's fifty thousand cases. So I mean, these cases are you know, you know, you know, it's it's just one of those phenomenons that unfortunately we've seen cold case at the cold case gets shut down. You know, I think you just in Seattle, lady shut their down because of the time consuming and the money that's spent on these cases.
Speaker 2: R oh.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's becoming an issue where you know, I refer to it as you know, cold case squads going by way the dinosaur. And you know, not that these cases will never be investigated, but they will be given to another detective who's you know, doing other cases, and this will be just another one of their jobs and you know, it may work, it might not work. I mean it takes extremely Listen, if these cases were so easy to solve, they'd have been solved the ready. You know. You know, there's always something you know and listen, most of the time, you know who did it. It's just that you don't have the evidence to prove it. That's that's really basically what you're looking at. You know, you develop your suspects and you pretty much know who it is, but you need this thing cold evidence, you know, and just because you know you think that doesn't mean anything. You know. So it's one of those issues where it can be very frustrating at times, and it gets frustrating dealing with district attorneys and stuff like that because even in the cold case, I don't know if people realize this that even though you develop probable cause to make the arrest, because the case is so old, you just don't go out and slap cups on somebody. You have to sit down with the district attorney who's going to prosecute this case. You know, they're looking for a winner. The prosecutor and the police department are in different you know, different in the United States here, different you know, planes. I mean, they want to have convictions and we just want to make arrest in close cases, so ones like kind of you know, they both personal perspective, you know, in regards to your personal performance. But district attorneys get get rated, you know, on how well they're conviction rates. So they you know, if they the case, they don't think they're gonna win the case. They you know, they want three nuns in the pope as a witness to think that's twenty years old.
Speaker 5: You know what was interested in just going back just a bit to what you said, because I think this is really profound, is that you said that the vast majority where you said most, you said most of the time you know who these people, who the killers were of these people, except you just don't have the evidence, right, you.
Speaker 6: Know, speculation and opinions don't establish probable course, it's the evidence that does. So you can think whatever you want. But the deal is, once you've identified somebody or you know, as you suspect, I mean, sometimes you get to a point where you talk to the district attorney and say, listen, I mean all signs point to this guy and let's tell you, well call him in for see if you come in for an interview and you know, maybe we can get a confession at him, you know, other than that, we got nothing. So you know, it could can get very frustrating at times when you're dealing with this because, like I said, you you might have all the circumstantial evidence in the world that that points to a specific person and guess what, you know, no evidence, no confession, you got nothing.
Speaker 5: How how taxing and frustrating was it for you? And what does it typically do to a guy that's a homicide cop for a few years. Is there a typical sort of burnout rate? Are you the exception to the rule where you seem to be well adjusted? We'll say, you know so, I guess.
Speaker 6: I mean, I'm not so much an exception to the rule. I'm probably more of the norm than the than the exception. You know, there are some people that will get burnt out by some of the stuff. But what the issue comes down to is you have to be persistent and you have to be determined. It's got to be that's got to be in your DNA. You know, you can't be one of these people that give up easy. You also, like, for instance, if you're thinking about this career, or you think you're already in this career and you want to go into cold case. And I always say, you know, I would interview detectives and ask them questions like, you know, do you like to do puzzles? You like to do cross you know, and then you look at you strange, because that's what this really comes down to. It's a big puzzle sometimes and you have to put all these pieces together, and sometimes it takes you, you know, hours to put a puzzle together. So if you're gonna get frustrated and walk away and just leave the outside of the puzzle, I'm not interested in you. You know. That's that's basically what you have to deal with.
Speaker 5: So and I guess all of the psychology, the the strong psychological background that you need to have is pretty well already determined before you get selected for this sort of well not sort of, but this elite squad.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I mean, it's like everything else. You get picked because they, you know, they believe that you have the capabilities of carrying this thing out. And and part of it is you know, well you know, the people like you. I mean, that's that's the other thing is the detectives and everybody that you work with, they have to like you, and they got to be able to, you know, work with you and and and do these things. So personality comes into a big play. I mean, we I work with people that you know that no matter what they try to do, you know, people won't do anything for them just because they're just you know, not nice people. You know, and it's like everything else. You get more bees with honey than you do it vinegar. And you just go through these steps and you try to you know, you gotta remember you you're working for the victim at this point, and that's what needs and that's what you need to keep telling yourself when you're doing this stuff, because it comes down to justice. You're the sole person that's talking for this victim. More than more than likely any of the victims that we dealt with, we're no longer here. So you take on that role and you you take on that role, and you you stick through it and to the bitter end, either you're going to make an arrest or or it's not gonna happen, but you you give your best, You do everything you can do to get to that that place.
Speaker 5: Well that's great. Well I want to Thank you very much Joe for coming on the program and talking about your book, The Criminal Investigative Function, a guide for new investigators, and give us your website. And you're also operate a blog as well, so t so just that contact again.
Speaker 6: Thanks. Yeah, I have a blog it's just coldcsquad dot com. And I have an author page. It's Joe g as in George Writs. Then it's w R I T e s dot com. Because my last name is so difficult to spell, no one would ever get it right anyway, So unlike Zapansky right, which is very easy to spend. So you know, but it was one of those things that I'm on Twitter, I'm on cold Case. If you go to any of those the blog, especially coldksquad dot com, you can find all my contact information and you know, and like I said, I've had in the past where you know, a write will ask me a question. I'll gladly take those emails, just I just don't want to. I had somebody send me, like, you know, their entire book and ask me to critique it. I don't have that out of time. So you know, if you have that one or two questions you want to buy me in an email. That's great, but I can't read books.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you're available for the lectures and seminars or anything of that sort. For public speaking.
Speaker 6: I've been to I just came back. I was in November. I was in Jordan for a couple of weeks, the country of Jordan in the Middle East. We did some training. I've been all over and you know, I've been to different places and invited to do different talks, and I do training, and you know, so I do it all.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 5: That sounds great, and I would wish you some luck. But it seems like you're in the second edition of printing and so you're well on your way. And uh and you got the respect for the for this book, and the credibility obviously is there. So I'll applaud you for this and thank you very much for coming on and talking about your experience with.
Speaker 6: I'm glad we finally got a chance to hook up. This was great and maybe we could do it again in the future.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, Jill, So thank you very much. You have a good evening.
Speaker 6: Thanks for your time, Dan, and I'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 5: Thank you. Good night.