Speaker 1: The following is intended for mature audiences. Hey, Diva, this episode is sponsored by Blood, Sweat and Tears. How about this horror show? By showing some love and rating five stars on Apple Podcasts, leave me a little love note on there as well. All good reviews help push this into more people's feeds. Now Before diving into the chaos of the episode, I've got a rather creepy experience from one of my buddies. Hi, friend, I have a submission for a future episode. Something pretty weird happened to me and some friends. So I went to see Obsession with some friends. Definitely recommend. It was a five out of five, and afterwards I was dropping them off since I was up for a drive. I had just dropped one of my friends off, made sure he got inside the apartment complex, and continued driving down a one way road. A man crosses the street maybe thirty forty feet ahead of the car, so I slowed down to let him pass jaywalking, But alas as he passes the car, he makes hard eye contact with my friend and myself. It was odd, but I shrugged it off. The dude looked pretty normal. He was even pretty cute. He had on a tank top and shorts and a bag in his hand. Looked like he was headed home after a seven to eleven trip or something. But as I'm nearing the red light on this one way road, I'm looking back in the mirror and I see the guy turn around and start booking it toward my car. I'm talking, full on sprint down the street, staring hard as hell with that heavy eye contact again through my review mirror. Now I needed to turn left to drop my friend off, but with this dude running it down the street, I wasn't trying to find out what happened if he caught up with the car, so I made the right turn on red and high tailed it down another street. All in all, not too crazy and probably heightened after having watched a horror film, but the way he turned and snapped into action running toward my car had me shaky the entire way home. Welcome to a world where darkness and mystery converge. Navigate the depths of horror and true crime, and join a society beyond the ordinary, where buzzworthy topics, paranormal tales, and listeners submitted experiences blend into a realm of the unknown. You have crossed into a place where the unusual and the terrifying are just the beginning. My name is Ralph Anthony and welcome to the Scream Society Podcast. Hello Screamers, Welcome into another edition of the Scream Society Podcast what I love to call a variety show from Hell in the dawn of another Pride month. I hope you all are thriving and slang per usual and anyone who's uncomfortable during this time, well, I hope you have the gayest month ever. Feels good to be in my chair and on the mic once again. I've actually been on the mic quite a bit for other projects, which announcement time and totally non horror related. But I had the opportunity to collaborate on a project with my buddy, an independent artist, Buddha Kuil, which he then connected me with another independent artist, Aplo. And I'm putting an emphasis on independent artists because I want you guys to see what independent creatives are capable of. Hello, But, like I said, I was approached to be on their collaborative album, Studio eighty five on some interludes between the tracks, which are fire. But Studio eighty five is this pop and discoh inspired album, and I think the project really captures this summer vibe mixed with smooth coastal rides and lively nightlife. And we went all in on this album. Skits too because on the album I play DJ Danny Hayes on this fictional radio station that pretty much bridges the album together and it's just fucking cool. So please check that out. Give these guys a follow because right now, more than ever, it's so important we support real, non AI artists because we want to keep this shit human. So yeah, Studio eighty five is available wherever you get your music, and I'll link everything in the episode description and shout out to Bouda Akil and APLO four allowing me to be a part of the project. Moving on here, I've got quite a lot to talk about, including the latest horror movie Sensation taking social media by storm. Plus I'll be dissecting a terrifying but true case with airially similar parallels to set horror movie. So let's get into sinister subjects. We need to talk about the film obsession. Obviously, it is completely taking over the world right now. The horror community is going crazy. People who aren't even into horror are showing interest, and some people, including yours truly, are already calling it the best horror film of the year so far. So take this as a minor spoiler warning now. The film was directed by Curry Barker, who drew inspiration from a nineteen ninety one Simpson's Treehouse of Horror episode, which is quite fascinating to me. Also, Curry Barker comes from a background of making comedy sketches on YouTube and somehow turned a tiny indie budget like around seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars into one of the biggest horror sensations of the year. And that is basically nothing by Hollywood standards, and we've seen it happen so many times before. Usually movies like this get a little buzz opening a weekend and then disappear immediately. But this thing did the complete opposite. People walked out of theaters so disturbed or exhausted in a good way that they instantly started posting about it online and it created this insane word of mouth spiral and because of that, the box office actually went up almost forty percent in its second weekend, which basically never happens anymore. And now it has made over eighty five million dollars worldwide. No giant franchise, no crazy masks, no Halloween costumes based around it, no massive studio push, just the Internet collectively losing its mind over how uncomfortable and brilliant this film is. And I think what makes it really stick with people so hard is the way it completely flips horror expectation upside down, because I actually thought I was in for another fatal attraction type of film, and at first it seems almost what's the word I'm looking for, like goofy, Like there's this awkward music store employee named Bear who has a crush on his coworker Nikki. He basically gets rejected when he tries to confess his feelings, like he can't get the words out, and then buys this supernatural little item called a one wish willow so he can wish for her to love him more than anyone else in the world. I kind of need one of those, and the wish works, But instead of becoming some magical romance fantasy, her love immediately turns into this horrifying, suffocating obsession, like she becomes completely emotionally dependent on him. In this deeply unnatural way that feels more exhausting than romantic, because, let me tell you, once the credit started rolling, I actually said, get me the fuck out of here. I'm so drained. And I mean that in the best way possible. And if you didn't like this movie, I'm so sorry, but I absolutely loved it now stating the obvious. Inda Navarette's performance as Nikki is honestly what's making so many people call this movie unforgettable because she's creepy as hell. Okay, she spends huge parts of the movie with this forced smile. And I know you've seen the memes. I know you've seen it in trailers, I know you've seen it on posters. But yes, she spends huge parts of the movie with this forced smile plastered all over her face, staring at Bear like he is the center of her entire existence. But there is something so deeply wrong underneath it that it becomes genuinely unsettling, and she acts the house down. I'm talking. This is up there with Tony Collette and Hereditary, Demi Moore in The Substance and Naomi Scott in Smile Too, in my opinion. I remember there was one scene where she's having a melt down in a dark corner of the bedroom. And this was like probably one of the first moments that I was watching there, and I started to get really uncomfortable and really creeped out, and I even started plugging my ears at some point because I was so nervous because she's standing in this dark corner of the bedroom and her face just looks so off. And props to the special effects team here, because this was achieved by some Uncanny Valley type of makeup in utilizing darkness and shadows, and it was fucking awesome. And another praise I have here is that the movie strips all the fantasy of the dream girl who loves you unconditionally trope and turns it into absolute psychological horror because if you really think about it, and I'm sure we've all wished our crushes growing up loved us, but somebody losing all free will just to satisfy another person's ego or desire is terrifying, right, And this is where the online debate gets so interesting, because everybody on Instagram, TikTok, read it, you name it is split on who the real villain actually is, and some people are even fighting about it. A lot of people think Bear is obviously the villain here and the whole movie is this brutal metaphor for male entitlement and the toxic nice guy mentality, Like he thinks being nice to Nicki means that he deserves her affection, and by making that wish, he completely destroys her ability to consent. He ruins her entire life physically, mentally, emotionally, all of the above. And the horror is not some monster jumping out of the shadows here. Well, if you've seen the movie and you've seen Nikki with that makeup on, it's kind of terrifying. It could be like a monster. But I think what it is here is it's realizing what someone is capable of when they can't handle rejection. But then there are all these other interpretations floating around. Some people think the true villain is actually the supernatural force behind the one wish Willow itself, although the film never really goes into that much into the backstory or entities behind this wish Willow or but whoever, this was intentionally twisted the wish into this nightmare to punish both of them unfortunately, kind of like how genies use wishes to trig people. Then there are other theories analyzing Nicki's behavior under the spell and pointing out all these tiny, heartbreaking moments where it feels like the real Nikki is still trapped somewhere underneath it all which she is, and every destructive thing she does could actually be her subconscious somehow trying to fight back and force Bear to undo this wish. I mean, she even begs him to kill her at one point. And I think what really makes this movie hit though, is the way it just constantly shifts tones without relying on too many jump scares. I mean there are a few here, Like it starts off feeling like this quirky indie rom com, then it turns into this painfully awkward public humiliation drama, and before you realize it, you are trapped in this claustrophobic, psychological nightmare where every inner action feels just wrong, and I think the movie forces you to sit in the discomfort of what forced love would actually look like in real life. I really do think, though, that the real villain here is Bear, because he couldn't just accept the fact that Nicki wasn't interested, that Nicki saw him as this little brother figure. I don't know, it's just really fun to theorize here. I can tell you this much, though. I just hope we see some oscar buzz around this movie, because we need more horror films at award shows. Truly overlooking horror is doing a disservice to all of the actors who act their asses off in these films, and it is honestly still rare to see a horror movie pull off this kind of balancing act, especially one sitting at a ninety four percent on Rotten Tomatoes while also getting mainstream audiences on board. Usually movies this weird and psychologically nasty and a super divisive, right, but this one somehow managed to become both a critical hit and a giant online obsession at the exact same time. Now, as far as what I think the film wants you to take from it, and I'm going to backtrack here just a little bit to get some other points across, I think that the horror here is Bear, or more specifically, the kind of entitlement Bear represents. Like I said, he is this awkward, lonely, insecure, emotionally needy, basically the exact type of guy society constantly tells women that they should give a chance to And I think that's what makes the entire thing just feel so real. Bear does not actually love Nikki as a human being with agency, flaws, boundaries, and independence, right, He loves a fantasy of being loved by her. He is completely willing to watch her identity collapse in real time as long as her physical shell keeps feeding his ego. The movie, it's the romantic fantasy away until all that has left is possession disguised as this affection. And I think that's why Obsession is hitting with so many people, because beneath all the supernatural horror and viral marketing, the movie is really asking a terrifying question. If somebody truly loves you, but only because you stripped away their ability to choose otherwise, was it ever love at all? Or was it just possession wearing love skin? Now, this topic inspired me to look into a few cases, surely not of anyone making wishes and then coming true, but cases of real life relationships, real life obsessions turning into real life horror. So on that note, let's get into this episode's nine to one one call. Now, this case is one of those true crime stories that completely took a the media for years. Once you get into the details, you kind of understand why, because it's messy, disturbing, emotional, and the relationship at the center of it was toxic from pretty much every angle. So just to set the stage here, you have this guy, Travis Alexander, who was this salesman and motivational speaker from California who worked for this company called Prepaid Legal Services. His friends would describe him as charismatic. He was funny, super social, and really involved in his church. He even did stand up comedy sometimes under the name Eddie Snow, which is kind of random here, but I also want to make him feel more human outside of just being the victim in this case. Then you bring in this woman by the name of Jody Arius. She was from California as well and was trying to make photography happen while bouncing around different jobs before eventually working for the same company as Travis. The two met at a work conference that took place in Las Vegas in two thousand and six, and things moved pretty quickly. Jody actually converted to the Mormon Church for him, and Travis baptized her himself and I don't know why, but I find that just extremely weird, honestly, and I know I'm probably coming off as judgmental, but it's giving obsessed. It's almost as if Jody was obsessed with Travis already right now. They started dating officially in two thousand and seven, but their relationship was apparently super on and off and incredibly intense. Friends around them said it was chaotic and unhealthy pretty much from the beginning. Even after breakups, they kept reconnecting long distance. The emotional fights, jealousy, just all of it, and according to Travis's friends, they were really worried about Jody. They claimed she was obsessive and started to stalk him, getting into his Facebook account and even allegedly slashing his tires. Then, unfortunately, in June of two thousand and eight, Travis was found murdered in his Messa, Arizona home, and the details are quite brutal here because he was stabbed twenty seven times. His throat was slit so deeply that his jugular gratid artery and trachea were cut, and he was also shot in the back of the head with the twenty five caliber handgun. Investigators believed that the attack happened while he was in the shower. The medical examiner later said that he had defensive wounds on his hands, meaning he tried to fight back. And what makes this case even creepier is just how police figured things out, because when Travis's friends couldn't reach him for days, they went to his house and found blood leading to the bathroom where his body was discovered in the shower. Right away, they called nine to one one to listen to some of these clips from the actual life. One can emergency, HI.
Speaker 2: This is pure with the tramp calling from one one for two eight East Queen Barrel Mammy correct, yes, O, huh okay, okay, that's one one fortwo Eightiest Queen Burrel Avenue in Mesa.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, what's going on?
Speaker 2: What? What's going on?
Speaker 3: Our friend of ours is dead in his bedroom. We hadn't heard from him for a while. We think came dead. His roommate just went in there and he said they bought some blood. I didn't know when, but I can give you this phone to someone who went in there.
Speaker 2: Can yes, please name hello?
Speaker 4: Hi?
Speaker 2: What's going on?
Speaker 3: He's dead, He's in his bedroom, Okay, in the shower. Okay, how did this happen?
Speaker 2: Do you have any idea? We have no idea.
Speaker 3: Everyone's been wondering about him for she said that there's blood, so is it coming from his head? Did he did? It's all over the place?
Speaker 2: Hold on just a moment. Okay, you're a good friend of Travis's.
Speaker 4: Yes, I am okay.
Speaker 3: Because he had been depressed at all to thinking about meaning suicide anything like that.
Speaker 4: I don't think he's been being a community is that he's been really depressed because he broke up with this girl and he was all upset about that. But I don't think he would actually kill himself over that.
Speaker 2: Has he been threatened by anyone recently?
Speaker 4: He hasn't. He has an ex girlfriend that's been bothering him and in them following him and flashing tires and things like that.
Speaker 2: And you know the ex girlfriend's name, mother?
Speaker 3: What's his ex girlfriend?
Speaker 2: Who?
Speaker 4: Aw coool?
Speaker 2: What's up?
Speaker 3: And do you know if he's ever reported it to the police.
Speaker 4: His her name is Jody. I don't know if he's ever reported hold on, yeah a cool?
Speaker 3: He's ever reported building school? Fool? But the sad said.
Speaker 4: No, he hasn't reported anything about guilty's behavior.
Speaker 2: Okay. The tub is in his bedroom.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I guess I didn't go in, but from what I heard, his roommate went in, there's blood in his bedroom behind the door. Uh, and palpa, and then he said it's all over. And then they went in the bathroom and he in his shower.
Speaker 2: And you know his his his bedroom is where in the house.
Speaker 3: It's upstairs. And if you go up the stairs, it's on the left. It's the first door on your left. It's the only door on your left.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: And and it's just a big master, sweet bedroom oday.
Speaker 4: What's this?
Speaker 3: And she's talking to his friend right now. There's a girl that sends stocking him and see, and she's trying and he's trying to might not with some information. They hope my phone doesn't I I'm on like one bar of battery.
Speaker 2: Okay. Well, I'm just gonna keep you on the phone until officers arrive, e their officers or paramedics arrive.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, I think I can hear the same.
Speaker 1: While searching the house, investigators found a damage digital camera inside the washing machine. Somehow they managed to recover deleted photos from it, and those photos became one of the biggest pieces of evidence in the case, and this, to me, is one of the more sinister parts of the case because pictures showed Travis and Jody together that day in intimate photos, all time stamped. Then the last image of Travis alive showed him standing in the shower, and that's the one photo of Travis looking at the camera, and the look on his face is just creepy because it shows him seconds before Jody murders him, and it's him either realizing she snapped or that he knows what's about to happen. It's also a photo of someone's final moment, which makes it disturbing to me. Other photos found after were blurry photos showing him on the bathroom floor bleeding heavily. It's one of the most haunting pieces of evidence I've ever heard about in a case. Not to mention, there was also a bloody pomp print with both of their DNA mixed together. Now, at first, Jody denied even being there. She told police she hadn't seen Travis in months. Then her story changed, and suddenly there were supposedly two masked intruders who killed him and attacked her as well. Now years later, she changed her story again and admitted that she did kill him, but claimed it with self defense after enduring abuse from him for months, and that became the center of the entire trial. The prosecution painted you as an obsessed ex girlfriend who carefully planned the murder. They pointed out that she rented a car, drove hundreds of miles, bought gas cans ahead of time, changed her hair color afterward, and showed up to a business event the next day acting completely normal despite having cuts all over her hands. The defense argued Travis was abusive behind closed doors and said Jody snapped while defending herself. During the trial, some really personal and uncomfortable details about the relationship came out, explicit text messages, phone recordings, sexual conversations. Even the whole trial basically became this massive public dissection of their private relationship. Jody testified for something like eighteen days, which is kind of unheard of. She talked about alleged emotional and physical abuse, claimed Travis had dark sexual interests, and said she feared for her life. The prosecution meanwhile focused on how many times she changed her story and called her manipulative and dishonest and understandably, so like how many times are you going to change a story? Girl? And psychologists were brought in from both sides as well. One expert said Jody had PTSD from abuse. Another diagnosed her with borderline personality disorder and said she wasn't actually a victim of domestic violence. So even the mental health side of the case became this huge back and forth battle, and because the trial was televised, people became completely obsessed with it. Every little detail was analyzed online. Jody herself became this incredibly polarizing figure where some people thought she was a cold blooded killer, while others believed there was more complexity to the relationship than the prosecution admitted. In twenty thirteen, she was convicted a first agree murder, but then came another huge media circuit deciding whether she should get the death penalty. The jury couldn't agree the first time, and then even during the retrial years later, another jury still deadlocked over it. But eventually, in twenty fifteen, the judge sentenced her to life in prison without parole. And what still makes this case fascinating to people and myself is that it never felt simple, like you had this horrifying crime scene, the changing stories, the intense relationship dynamics, accusations of abuse, manipulation from both sides, and a trial that felt more like a psychological unraveling than a normal murder case. Right and honestly, just No matter where people land on Jody Arias, the one thing almost everyone agrees on is that the relationship between her and Travis it was deeply unhealthy long before it ended where it did. Let's take a break from the blood soak depths of late night Horror. Comes a collection so shocking, so scandalous, it'll make your wardrobe scream, want my face on your chest? Or maybe you just want to rep the cult, the logo, the legend, the Scream Society. Don't just listen to the nightmare, wear it, rep it, live it, get it now before it gets you. Head to Scream Dash Society, Dot Prinifide, dot Me and Rep Scream Society Merch. Welcome into Terrifying but True, the segment where I choose one random true crime, dark history or paranormal case and do a deep dive on it. This episode, I'm continuing on the theme of obsessions and covering the case of the Sunny Veil EESL shooting, and this case is pretty scary because it's one of the clearest examples of obsession escalating over years while basically everyone watched it happen. And the scariest part is that the victim, Laura Black, did everything people always tell victims to do. She reported it, moved multiple times, even involved hr because the aggressor was a coworker. She even got a restraining order, and it still ended in absolute tragedy. So let's get into it. When the unthinkable becomes reality, we find ourselves questioning everything as some stories are too terrifying but true.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: Richard Farley was born in Texas in nineteen forty eight and grew up in a military family that moved around constantly before eventually settling in California. He was apparently really intelligent, kind of socially awkward, and worked as a software technician for a defense contractor called ESL Incorporated in Sunnyvale, California. So, by all accounts, before this case, he didn't have a criminal record or this history of violence people could point to. Then, in nineteen eighty four, Farley met a coworker named Laura Black. Laura was twenty two years old, Farley was thirty five, and according to him, the second he saw her, he was completely obsessed. At first, it probably looked more like an awkward crush. He'd leaf letters, homemade bagd goods, little gifts on her desk and constantly would ask her out, but Laura repeatedly told him no. She later said she tried to stay polite and cordial while making it clear she just wasn't interested, but Farley absolutely would not accept that, and that's when things started escalating from uncomfortable to pretty fucking disturbing. He began calling her desk constantly throughout the day. Then he started showing up to her aerobics classes. He manipulated s HR department into giving him her personal information by pretending that he needed it for work related reasons. He got her home address and phone number that way as well. So here you have HR giving away this girl's home address and phone number to this creep who is obviously obsessed with her. Then after that he started digging even deeper into her life. He befriended custodians to try and copy keys to her desk so he could go through her belongings. He accessed confidential personal files, he stalked her movements obsessively. Over four years, he sent around two hundred letters to her, and these weren't just please date me letters anymore. He started creating this entire fantasy relationship in his head. He even doctored photos to make it look like he and Laura were this happy couple together and would mail them to her like imagine how horrifying that must have been. And every time Laura moved trying to get away from him, which she did four separate times, he somehow found her new address again. It basically became her entire life for years now. Eventually, Laura would go to ESL's human resources department for help, but they're the ones who gave him her address. Sough. Anyway, the company forced Farley into counseling, but it clearly didn't do anything because the stocking continued. Coworkers started feeling uneasy around him as well, especially when he began threatening employees. Cut to nineteen eighty six. ESL finally fired him after nine years there because of his behavior and his poor performance. But losing his job didn't stop the obsession. If anything, it made it worse because now he had all the time in the world to stalk Laura full time. Then things started heading toward this breaking point. On February second, nineteen eighty eight, Laura finally got a temporary restraining order again him. A court hearing was scheduled for February seventeenth to determine if it would become permanent, But the restraining order didn't stop him from buying weapons, and this is where the case becomes unbelievably scary, because Farley started stockpiling guns, ammunition, knives, tactical gear, basically preparing for a war. Investigators later found thousands of rounds of ammunition and multiple firearms connected to him. Days before the attack, he even dropped off a bizarre package to Laura's attorney, trying to prove they'd secretly been in this relationship. The package included fake photos, random receipts, and completely fabricated stories claiming they dated and even used drugs together. Laura's attorney immediately recognized it as delusional nonsense, But then came February sixteenth, nineteen eighty eight, Literally the day before the restraining order hearing, Farley drove a motor home packed with weapons to ESL's headquarters in Sunnyvale, He later claimed he planned to convince Laura to drop the restraining order and if she refused, kill himself, but instead he armed himself like he was going into combat. He loaded himself down with multiple guns, shotguns, hundreds upon hundreds of rounds of ammunition, knives, extra magazines, over a thousand rounds total. Later police would find even more weapons and gear inside the building. At around two fifty pm, he started shooting. The first victim was a man named Lawrence Kane, who was killed outside in the parking lot. Another employee barely survived by ducking behind a car door. Farley then shot his way into the building through a glass security entrance and began moving through esl looking for Laura. As he made his way through the building, people were just caught completely off guard. Employees were hiding under desks, running into offices, trying to barricade doors while Farley moved floor to floor with all these weapons. He killed people in hallways, stairwells, offices, basically anyone he viewed as being in his way, and by the time he reached the second floor near Laura's office, several more people had already been murdered. But then he found her office. Laura actually managed to slam the door shut in his face, but Farley fired a shotgun blast through the door. The shot hit her in the shoulder and collapsed her long. She fell unconscious, and Farley moved on, apparently thinking she was dead. But what's incredible here is that Laura actually survived. At one point during the shooting, Farley actually called emergency services himself and basically admitted to everything, saying I'm the one who's been wasting people. He blamed the restraining order, and he even blamed Laura for what he was doing, and the situation ended up turning into this massive six hour standoff. Farley wandered around the building armed to the teeth while SWAT teams surrounded the place. He talked for hours with negotiators over the phone, crying at times threatening suicide, complaining about losing his house and money problems, and talking about how hopeless his life had become. But what's disturbing is that while he expressed regret about shooting Laura specifically, he showed basically no remorse for the seven people that he did murder. He claimed he shot them because they were threats. At one point he even admitted to wanting to gloat about the situation for a little bit. All while this was happening, Laura had regained consciousness while hiding inside the building. Even with the collapsed lung and gunshot wound, she managed to stop the bleeding enough to survive until rescuers got people out, and finally around eight thirty pm, Farlely surrendered after asking for a sandwich and a soft drink, and by the end of it seven people were dead and four others were wounded. Now the following day, the judge made Laura's restraining order permanent and said something that became infamous afterward. Pieces of paper do not stop bullets. Honestly, that line is why this case still gets talked about today, because it perfectly captured the horrifying reality that the system really didn't know how to handle stalking back then, And to be quite honest, in my opinion, I believe the system still doesn't know how to handle stocking situations today in modern times. So at trial, Farley admitted he committed the shootings, but claimed that he never intended to kill anyone and just wanted Laura's attention or planned to kill himself in front of her. His defense tried portraying him as a nonviolent man whose obsession temporarily clouded his judgment, but prosecutors laid out years of stalking evidence, the hundreds of letters, the fake relationship fantasy, the weapon purchases, the planning, the ammunition stockpile, and argued this was absolutely premeditated. In nineteen ninety one, he was convicted on seven counts of first degree murder and sentenced to death the following year. Lauris survived and eventually returned to work at the same company. But even after everything, Farley still wrote to her from prison, telling her she had finally won. And what makes this case historically important is that it directly changed the law in America. At the time, stocking wasn't even officially recognized as a crime in most places. Cases like this, along with several other horrifying California stocking cases in the late eighties, pushed lawmakers to finally create anti stocking laws. California became the first state in the country to criminalize stocking in nineteen ninety, and within a few years every state would follow. So this case didn't just expose how dangerous obsession can become when someone refuses to accept rejection. But it also completely changed the way the legal system view stalking forever and in my opinion, for good measure. And I'll just end on this. If you or someone you know is in a situation like this is dealing with a stalker. It sounds crazy, I know, but it does happen, and I just I urge you to not take these situations lightly because they can't end in complete destruction. Let's get into ral versus a rod where I react to your stories, experiences, situationships and answer your questions while doing my best to give you perspective and or a little advice. To submit, simply email Scream Society Podcast at gmail dot com. My inbox is always open over on Instagram Scream Society Podcast, or click the anonymous of missions link in all my bios. Remember mostly everything remains anonymous. At the start of the episode, I shared a submission from a friend, Hey, Jake. Now, Jake had a pretty unsettling experience after seeing the movie Obsession. They were driving some friends home late at night after the movie when they stopped at a red light on a one way street and let a guy jaywalk across. At first, the dude seemed completely normal, casually dressed, carrying a bag, even kind of cute according to the submission. But as he passed the car, he locked eyes with them in a way that immediately fell off. And then things got even weirder while sitting at a light, because Jake looked in the review mirror and saw the guy suddenly turn around and start full on sprinting toward the car while staring them down. They were supposed to turn left, but instead panicked, took her right on red, and sped off to avoid finding out what the guy wanted. Nothing technically happened, okay, but the sudden switch and behavior, especially right after watching Obsession, left them genuinely shaken for the rest of the drive home. So I will title this one hell no, But honestly, like, are there any pictures of this guy? Because I kind of want to see. But in all seriousness, I really have zero critiques for you, because I think you did everything right here. Actually, maybe the first and only mistake was stopping to let this guy pass unless it was unsafe too and random tangent. Here, your boy has road rage because nothing crawls under my skin more than someone running out in the middle of the street. I will literally roll down my window and scream crosswalk like it's so crazy, Like like I've calmed down a lot as far as being unhinged and lashing out at people, but put me behind a wheel, all bets are off. But anyway, going back to the submission, I really wonder what this person was going to do, or maybe what they were on, or maybe he just wanted to ride with some batties. I mean I would do the same, honestly. How did Bear's cat get that pale box? I'll open to od obsession. Okay, this is a question I got on Instagram when I was posting memes and asking people how everyone liked Obsession, because apparently I'm obsessed with obsession. That's why there's a whole episode about it. But in the beginning of the film, the main character, again Bear, comes home to his cat dead after it ate all of his pills. I don't even know what kind of pills they were, and saying that out loud sounds fucking wild as fuck. So I mean, a movie can't be perfect, right, But that is actually a really great question, and I would challenge this scene too. Actually, Like cats are picky as hell, right, Like every time I go to my dad's and I'm eating snacks, I'll offer some to my step mom's cats and they never want anything to do with them, or me for that matter. But like, this scene would have made more sense with the dog because I feel like dogs like to eat everything off the floor. But unless Bear left, the captains grewed. I don't know. Great question. Let's move on from the obsession topic. When are you coming to us? I will be coming to Australia when Australia stops having the scariest animals and insects known to man, like I have crippling arachnophobia. I'm sorry coming out in California though, hot take the Free Britney movement did more harm than good. Well, like there are there are so many different angles you can look at this. In the case where it's just about her family taking advantage and not allowing her to do really anything, Yes, but do we truly know the full story or do we know just certain sides because the media we know how the media works around here. I don't know, though, And I'm assuming this is talking about Britney Spears and the year she spent in this conservatorship that she just got out of a few years ago. But where I think the family and her handlers went wrong was completely stripping away her free will such a young age, right, Like, she wasn't allowed to make any mistakes. They wanted this perfect pop star, and when she did make mistakes, it was just blown out of proportion and people made a big deal about it. And I'm sure that's why her family and team put her in this conservatorship and in doing that, controlling everything, she wasn't allowed to make mistakes and more importantly learn from them. So when the Free Britney Movement freed Brittany, they essentially let this person who never really had to experience messing up on a human level and learning from it. They let them out into the wild. And well, now she's going through it all speeding tickets, DUI dancing videos. People are worried about her safety, her sobriety, her mental health, and it's just it's all very odd, right, And I mean, don't get me wrong, I want her to be free, but I also think she should have been eased into all of this or guided somehow. But we can assume and give our opinions all we want, but I don't think we will ever know the whole story. I do feel really sad for her situation, though I should tell you about the time I was dragged out of bed and jump scared awake after slamming on the floor. Excuse me. A big thank you to those who submitted to the podcast. Make sure to get those questions in. Always remember to keep it respectful and honest. If you send it in the post about being dragged out of bed and waking up because you slammed on the floor, we need to talk like you can't just leave me like that. Check out the links in bio on the podcast socials and support a homosexual in need by buying some merch and until next time, I'll scare you on the next episode. No thank you for tuning into the Scream Society podcast. I sid written, produced and edited by yours truly, Ralph Anthony. Help the Society grow by subscribing on your favorite platform and leave a waiting in review. I always drive for fives. Have a horror or paranormal experience me to answer your questions on the show. Submit to beacons dot ai, slash the Scream Society, connect with the podcast on Instagram, TikTok, and YouTube at scream Society podcast and until next time, I'll scare you on the next episode.