Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. We talked to the CEO and co founder of the Watch Duty app, which has been so beneficial to us, not just providing you with information up to date information on the fires, but for us because we live in the evacuation zones as well. I forgot to mention this to the CEO who we spoke with at John Clark Mills, but our friend Michael texted us and said, I do management for FedEx here in Arizona. Have used the watch Duty app for a long time now because there are two paths for the trucks to get to northern in the eastern part of the areas, there's always highway closures that happen because of the roadside fires. Gives us a heads up on whether to reroute the truck, so thank you.
Speaker 2: Also, it's not your imagination, it is cold. National Weather Service actually issued a warning for cold overnight temperatures that could pose a risk for hypothermia. Temperatures throughout La County dipped into the twenties last night in some areas. In fact, high's only going to be in the fifties. In a few areas temperatures as low as mid twenties, they said again tomorrow morning, especially up in the Antelope Valley.
Speaker 1: iHeart could not be prouder of the response when it comes to how our communities and our firefighters, police, everyone responded to the fires that swept through our area caused so much devastation. And it's very exciting that tomorrow they're going to have a fire aid benefit concert.
Speaker 2: Joining us now talk more about this incredible lineup and this pretty huge task of getting these two venues and all of these stars together. Ellen k from the Coast one to three point five Morning Show, Thanks for coming down.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me. I'm scared to be here. Why nice, I can't tell when you guys are live and when you're not.
Speaker 4: Oh, and so we were.
Speaker 3: Hanging out and we're saying some things and I'm like, oh, I hope these microphones aren't on.
Speaker 4: Well, if we're talking about Cardi.
Speaker 3: B and her.
Speaker 1: New kind of craft shooting here anyway, she's got a piercing on her bottom that looks like it causes so many problems. But we were getting into that, but let's into the Okay, let's get into this fire aid. It's so nice having you here. By the way, guys want to.
Speaker 2: See a sense of of maple and sweetness. I smells so good here when you have candles upstairs.
Speaker 1: Oh well, it's something we sound like dumping We smell like dumpster people.
Speaker 3: Oh you, guys, is what we need to work on. My husband's obsessed with both of you. Oh see, he listens.
Speaker 4: All the time.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow night, both the Into It Dome in Englewood and then the ki of Forum just a short distance north of they're going to host these this incredible show.
Speaker 4: Who's who's going to be involved in all of this? All right?
Speaker 3: So uh Kia Forum kicks it off first, and then Into It Dome a little bit later on. But you've got Rod Stewart and Kay Perry, Lady Gaga, Gwen Stefani was confirmed as her just herself and now no doubt has jumped in So I'm going to perform with them. Jelly Roll is not going to be there. I wrote his name down.
Speaker 4: Just because I have a little story about it. But oh Red Hot Shoe per Stevie.
Speaker 3: Nicks alone, I mean being in Tate McRae and TV wonder.
Speaker 4: This is incredible.
Speaker 2: This is a I mean, this is a who's who of American music for the last sixty years.
Speaker 3: Probably it really is. And and you know, look, let's talk about Rod Stewart. He's been touring the world. He's constantly performing.
Speaker 4: He just turned eighty. I've seen him in concert I SS I'm in Vegas.
Speaker 1: And he can move at the age of eighty.
Speaker 3: Yeheah, even at the age of and so he's like going strong. He's gonna call her show tomorrow morning, and he is stopping everything to be there. So I love seeing all the artists being friends with each other. And Billie Eilish, she's got the Grammys on Sunday, she's the most nominated and she's going to be at the end of it Dome.
Speaker 4: And then earth Wind and Fire.
Speaker 3: If you have an original earth Wind in Fire concert t shirt, I don't know, like from your parents or from your travels whatever, it's worth like three hundred bucks. Wow, Wow, there's a holistic came out of a concert t shirt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that are worth a lot of money. There they go on eBay for a thousands. Some of the original consolet like from the sixties and stuff. And imagine what that T shirt has been through.
Speaker 4: Drugs, good auction? That for fire?
Speaker 1: Come on, yeah, Rod Stewart, I don't think it gets better than uh.
Speaker 4: You know, Maggie may Live. Does it get better than that? I don't think. What's the Jelly Roll story?
Speaker 3: Oh so Jelly rolls in Hawaii with his wife Bunny, and he was in a long line. They were waiting for something and his song was playing Save Me, and no one recognized him.
Speaker 2: Really, this is a very recognizable person.
Speaker 4: He's a he's somebody. He's a huge human being.
Speaker 2: For one thing, got all the face tattoos, which raised his suspicion, and there's only a I mean, maybe they thought he was Teddy Swims.
Speaker 4: Maybe they thought he was somebody.
Speaker 3: He was with Bunny, his wife, and you've seen her.
Speaker 4: She stands out.
Speaker 1: Is it because he hasn't been marketed as much much using his appearance? Because of his appearance?
Speaker 4: I mean, but I did.
Speaker 3: I did read a comment someone posted it and said that's how Hawaiians are.
Speaker 4: They're low key about that would make sense shouting out to famous people.
Speaker 1: I don't know, because who's in line in Hawaii Probably tourists, right, right?
Speaker 4: But you would, Yeah, so you wouldn't be does Bob from Ohio not know? Jolly row? That might be what the.
Speaker 2: Thing is, I don't know. And then the process of putting all this together. I mean, there's some incredible names on the on the backside of it in terms of the producers who have been able to, you know, whether it's call in favors to have some of these performers come in or just coordinate the massive lift that it is to get all these performers in two different spaces. And then you've got the production value of not just obviously your station and all of our FM stations are going to be broadcasting it tomorrow night, but it's going to be on TV. It's going to be streaming the production of two different spaces like that, all these different artists, all the different equipment changes between artists and things like that.
Speaker 1: I oppressive was we were talking about how I used to listen to you and Ryan when I first moved to LA every morning driving here to this radio.
Speaker 4: Station, and I mean, I still listen.
Speaker 1: To you, but I just remember, like it's formative years, you know, where you're just like figuring LA out, and you've got Ryan and Ellen and they're going to help you.
Speaker 4: And I remember an interview.
Speaker 1: It's funny how you remember things from so long ago, and you had Gwen Stefani in studio and you and Ryan were talking about how she looked perfect, everything about her was perfect. Yes, And that was I want to say, two thousand and five, two thousand and six.
Speaker 4: She is still perfect, She still got it.
Speaker 3: She was just here and yeah, she's a bit happier than ever. And I think that's that's one of the things too. As a matter of fact, that day, that interview, she told us off the air that she was going through something. She wouldn't tell us what it was, of course, but that she had to go and she she seemed a little preoccupied. And I think that that was the beginning of the end of oh interesting marriage.
Speaker 4: Oh wow.
Speaker 3: But she's always look we call her for Chla Giving Tuesday every year.
Speaker 4: She's there.
Speaker 3: She really like she's another one of those I'm gonna stop everything I'm doing to go help my city and you know, and my friends. And it's fire aids. So it's Fireadla dot org.
Speaker 2: And you mentioned that at least I think it's DAWs. The band DAWs are the ones that I know that have lost properties. I mean some of these everybody here probably knows somebody who has lost property or been affected directly by the fire. So that's an important thing as well, because these people are not just doing it to help others. They're doing it because they also have been affected by all this. So tomorrow night, the show begins at seven o'clock.
Speaker 4: All five of our iHeart.
Speaker 2: FM stations, Kiss FM, all ninety eight seven, My FM, A Real ninety two three Coast one of three point five going to be airing it live and you'll be hearing all kinds of stuff. Fireaid l a dot org is where you find out more information uh and tickets and how you can give and donate.
Speaker 1: It's hard to choose which one. I think I'd go to the one at the Forum. It's showing my age. I think I'm an into it girl. I mean, I want to see the into it dumb because I haven't seen it. But I'm looking at the lineup and I mean it's like Alanis Stevie Nicks, all of My Women, Women, Angst Music.
Speaker 4: Chili Pepper, Joni Mitchell, Debut Music.
Speaker 2: So yeah, well that's awesome, Ellen, thanks for coming.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, thank you. You're welcome to coming down anytime.
Speaker 3: Thank you good because I want to talk about Justin Baldoni and yeah the voice, yeah late, and we saw the text my problem And I love Blake Lively.
Speaker 1: I was a late Gossip Girl adopter, but I loved her in that. I love her and everything. She's wonderful. But the interview, the TV interviews she did a handful of years ago where the interviewer who I don't remember who it was irrelevant, asks her like, oh, where you know your fans want to see you or something I'm paraphrasing your friends want to say, and she goes, oh, should I just share my location with you? And the way she came off was so not cool, Like it was so not gracious, And so I keep going back to that and going, well, you don't get to be that big of a star without being a little bit of a pain in the ass, right, I don't have seen like the best guy either Ryan or just.
Speaker 2: Watch the mouth about Ry buzz Saw that the Ryan Reynolds machine.
Speaker 4: Who would want to go up against that yank? I love them? Have I said that enough? The they are the best? Before we get scientologists, can I shut up my husband. Course, yes, Hi Roy, I'm on with Gary and Shannon. Can you believe it? Yes, Hi Roy.
Speaker 2: Again, Fire aid l A dot org is were find out information about tomorrow night's huge, huge show.
Speaker 4: And again thanks for coming back, Thank you for having me.
Speaker 5: Guys.
Speaker 4: I wanted to tell you about the LA Mission.
Speaker 2: If you are one of the survivors of the Altadena wild wildfire, they have an event coming up on Saturday, February first, from eleven to four that includes.
Speaker 4: Free resources services.
Speaker 2: They have hot meals and meal boxes include one hundred and twenty shelf stable and perishable meals for a family of four. They have emergency medical services that are going to be available, a mobile laundry service, hygiene and essential supplies. They have complementary hygiene kits that they're handing out. Legal services if you have legal questions about what's been going on. Financial assistance, of course you have to fill out eligibility forums, but funds will be distributed at some point. New toys and clothing, especially for those families that have kids that have been affected by this crisis. And then transit access passes, the tap cards sort to help you get around public transit access again, it's this Saturday, February first, from eleven am to four pm. The LA Mission is going to be out there at eight fifty five North Orange Grove Boulevard in Pasadena. And it's important to note Altadena is not an actual city, it's part of the county, so there's going to be zero assistance from the City of La So this is trying to fill some of that critical support gap that exists again this weekend, this Saturday, eleven to four at eight fifty five North Orange Grove Boulevard in Pasadena.
Speaker 1: I love stories of people living off the land, and we've got one headed your way, a guy surviving in just a hoodie for two days in the ice. I love this just in case you find yourself straighted and nice. It's nice to have these stories in your back pocket.
Speaker 4: I love a hoodie.
Speaker 2: The news out of DC a developing story is that the Trump Administration's Office of Management and Budget released a memo today that rescinds the order that would have frozen a wide swath of federal financial assistance. Of course, a bunch of federal programs would have been frozen.
Speaker 4: Caused a huge uproar in and on Capitol Hill.
Speaker 2: And one of the reasons they say that the order was rescinded was there have been some pretty big name Republican lawmakers on Capitol Hill who were pushing back on this. According to at least one Republican Senator who was apprized of the decision to reverse this policy order reverse was signed by Matthew Vaith, who is the acting director of the Office of I'm sorry, the White House Budget Office, and one Republican senator told the Hill dot Com quote, chaos is never good, So that is at least right now the order has been rescinded.
Speaker 1: Big doings at CCB Today. Rihanna has appeared for the first time at the trial of Rapper Asap Rocky, her partner and father, their two sons. Remember, he did not want to sign off on a plea deal, so now Bass substantial time in prison. So she's there making waves today at the courthouse. We'll get the latest coming up on what's happening. When it comes to what's happening with that trial.
Speaker 2: I've always liked the name Malachi Yuh only because it's amidst pronunciation of Malachi ah.
Speaker 1: But I do like Malachi aka Malachi. For some others Malachi Garcia. He is a seasoned pass holder at Mountain High. He has been snowboarding for quite some time and with snowboarding behind some friends on Sunday, when visibility from the storm that day was low, he somehow took a wrong turn, like snowboarders are won to do, ended.
Speaker 4: Up alone, though just snowboarders.
Speaker 1: Tried to find his way back, but the storm made it difficult and he could not find his way back. His friends phoned in, but again visibility is low. Intensive search operation lasted forty eight hours, could have been a much different outcome. As you can imagine, Mountain High recorded more than a foot of fresh powder by the following day, with heavy snowfall diminishing visibility causing icy conditions. Both Sunday and Monday, they had dozens of search teams fanned out across the mountain, utilizing drones devices that can detect heat as well.
Speaker 2: Again, a T shirt and a hoodie, pants and boots. He did have his gloves in his hat, but he did not have his phone with him or anything else. No water, no food, no tracking to buy anything like that.
Speaker 1: It's funny that he didn't have his phone with him. It seems like everyone has their phones on them these days. He was drinking stream water during the day and would just hunker down next to big trees at night to stay warm. Trees are wonderful, aren't they? Wonderful creatures, loving things. When the worst of the storm cleared Tuesday morning, he started walking around as much as possible to leave tracks that ended up saving him.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Soon after, a rescue helicopter was able to finally make it up into the air. Tuesday morning, the Sheriff's apartment said they found footprints in the snow near Cabin Flat Campground just southwest of right Wood, though all the trails and amenities were obviously covered in snow, so they did an aerial search. Following the tracks, they followed him for about two miles. Somebody was able to drop from the helicopter after they spotted someone in a canyon not far from the snow line, and said when we found him, he wasn't panicking.
Speaker 4: He was a little emotional and just relieved. I can't listen. I know that there's a.
Speaker 2: Whole reality genre, a reality show genre where you go out into an inhospitable locale and live for whatever it is.
Speaker 4: Five days or twenty days or two you wouldn't do that. I don't know if I would do that. I mean, I would be up for the Are you looking for him? He's been found.
Speaker 1: I'm looking for an idprofen. I have a sword tooth. I think I need another root canal. I feel like nerve damage or something.
Speaker 4: Glass of wine would knock that pain right out.
Speaker 1: I know, it's so weird what happens when you don't have wine to mask things. Just sit there and feel the aches and pains that come with age.
Speaker 2: I just don't know if that's the right test for me, or maybe that's why it is the right test for me.
Speaker 1: I'd love to throw you out in the middle of the nowhere and see how you do.
Speaker 2: Because there's a point where, I mean, this guy for forty eight hours. There's one thing where you're gone for several hours and you think, okay, well, it's going to take time for anybody to notice that I'm missing, it's going to take time for them to contact the authorities, it's going to take time to get helicopters in the air. But after the second day, I mean, you go through an entire day and you're like, well, where is everybody.
Speaker 1: I would I think I would still think I'd be found, just because I think I would have to think that way.
Speaker 4: I would my hid yourself.
Speaker 1: I would convince itself without knowing it was convincing itself that that was because that's what keeps you going. Also, I would go through all the things in my head, like, well, I was snowboarding in this area. Other people are going to be snowboarding in this area. Right, it's mountain high. It's not like it's some desolate mountain that nobody goes to. In fact, you know what, this wasn't even that big of a deal. Come on, It's like a nice little afternoon little me time.
Speaker 4: Is what is that? What it was? What Malachai? Well me time?
Speaker 2: They said he had probably walked more than two miles and descended at least thirteen hundred feet in elevation.
Speaker 4: That's nothing, fine, it's nothing, but please, how is that even news? Oh?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 4: The year of the snake. The tooth problem gets.
Speaker 1: I know, it really hurts, and I can't tell if it's the bottom or the top, because sometimes it starts it hurts on the bottom, but then sometimes like how do you have.
Speaker 4: An infection in your jaw. Is that why it radiates on both? Oh my god? Is that what it is?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 1: If I need a root canal, that's what that is, right, I mean, the they all it's all connected there, right. Yeah, I'm basically dying clearly of you from talking, you know. But I called the dentists and they don't have a point because I'm not going to take a day off of work to go deal with this. I'll just sit here and complain about it for two weeks, okay, So yeah, two weeks. I hope you enjoy that, because why take a couple hours off week.
Speaker 4: Off work when you can just sit and pain for two weeks. What's that stuff they put on the babies when they're teething.
Speaker 1: I can definitely put some uh some amba salt whatever it's called. It's called bad tooth masking cream.
Speaker 5: Do you want some stronger medicine? I've got some.
Speaker 1: I don't want your opioid's Jacob got some leftovers.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I'm not in the mood to.
Speaker 1: You know, to have a good time to end up in a gutter on skid row asking for some horse.
Speaker 4: Benzocaine is sold under the brand name orage.
Speaker 1: Ol h orage Ol that's what I need and just put it all over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's an active ingredient many over the counter anesthetic ointments, such as the products for your oral ulcers.
Speaker 1: Oh god, anyway, do you want your Buckingham Palace news?
Speaker 4: Yes? Don't we have any music for this?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: Oh, you don't want to play? No.
Speaker 1: Princess Beatrice has given birth to her second child. Athena was born several weeks prematurely, but the royal family said she is healthy and doing well. The new baby is the grandchild of Prince Andrew, the Duke of York, who likes little girls. She's I shouldn't say this when I'm announcing the birth of a little girl, shall i? She is eleventh, Athena is in line to the throne.
Speaker 4: Why wouldn't you say that.
Speaker 1: Because I'm talking about the birth of a little girl and Prince Andrew loving little girls.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, that's weird.
Speaker 1: Remember that whole thing. Yeah, the Jeffrey Epstein thing. Oh yeah, okay, I'm just saying, maybe sweat you don't. I'm just saying, maybe Athena doesn't need to meet pop pop just yet.
Speaker 4: Eleven o'clock rolls around.
Speaker 2: We're going to get into we're going to get into the stories about DC, specifically this new developing story that the Office of Management and Budget has postponed the plans to stop all of the financial aid that the federal government was giving out. We'll talk about that also. The hearings that are going on right now for RFK Junior. He is in front of the Senate Finance Committee as they do the confirmation hearings for him. He's been nominated to take over as a Health and Human Services secretary.
Speaker 4: Your wife is on fire, I'm assuming what did she write?
Speaker 1: She just posted a funny Well, it's not for she probably doesn't want me airing her funny laundry. The Year of the Snake has begun. This is good stuff, you guys. The Year of the Snake Chinese New Year. It's not just China too, it's also Korea, Vietnam as well more areas that I don't even know about. But anyway, Year of the Snake is all about shedding bad energy.
Speaker 4: This is good stuff.
Speaker 1: Though the snake may get a bad rap across Western cultures, the animal is actually a celebrated and revered, revered sign across the Eastern hemisphere. This is the year to be expected to be one of positive transformation as people slither into new beginnings if they're willing to move on.
Speaker 4: Why are you laughing?
Speaker 1: It's about shedding toxicity and personality and character traits, shedding the ego, letting go of the past, letting go of anger, letting go of love loss. This is the year where that kind of growth personal macro, internal and external is much possible.
Speaker 4: That's good. The snake, what are you get a shed?
Speaker 2: Matches up with the years of people born in forty one, fifty three, sixty five, seventy seven, eighty nine, twenty one, thirteen, and twenty five.
Speaker 4: What are you going to shed? Or are you perfect?
Speaker 2: I don't like to brag. I don't know t shirts. I don't know what do people shed.
Speaker 1: I'm talking about personality, things that may not be serving you, toxicity.
Speaker 4: Why don't you point them out to me and I will shed them? I shouldn't have to.
Speaker 2: Specifically, this is not just year of the Snake that's so much fun. This is the year of the wood Snake, with the wood element holding profound meeting across the organized religions.
Speaker 1: There to just go home and for one day just be intolerable, be like every cliche of like the lazy dude or the overbearing wife, Like wouldn't that be fun just to like flip a switch and just surprise them with different hell, not their usual.
Speaker 4: House, just to see how long, how.
Speaker 1: Long it would last where they look at us like are you serious? Or we say stuff like that, or you just like go home and you sit on the couch and you put your hands down your pants and you start watching baseball games and open up a beer and spill it on your T shirt and stuff.
Speaker 4: I don't why would I spill it on my.
Speaker 1: T shirt because that's like quintessential bad dude behavior.
Speaker 4: Oh you say so, I don't know. I just think it'd be kind of fun. And then just to see how long it lasts before they leave, just.
Speaker 1: To see what the reaction would be. Would it be like what's the matter with you? Would it be like, oh, you're clearly going through something. Enjoy your day.
Speaker 4: I don't know anyway, The Year of the Snake.
Speaker 1: Shedding all the bad Oh, Jacob printed this out.
Speaker 4: There is a.
Speaker 1: Guide on how the Year of the Snake will affect your zodiac sign.
Speaker 4: Jacob printed this out. Yeah, he's big.
Speaker 1: Into how the Chinese New Year works with geminis and the whole bit.
Speaker 5: Hey, can I see that picture again?
Speaker 4: Gary? What is Jacob? What is your What year were you born? Again? Ninety seven? No, ninety five.
Speaker 5: As a true friend, you would know what year I was born.
Speaker 1: Oh, you're going to be thirty this year, so it's ninety five.
Speaker 4: You're a pig. You're the pig. How perfect is that?
Speaker 1: It's a Here is your horoscope since you wanted me to read it for everybody. The Year of the Snake means it's high time for pigs to step out of the proverbial past year and tiptoe out of their comfort zones, whether through travel, academic pursuits, or spiritual exploration. This is your year to embrace new experiences and broaden your perspective. You may feel a strong pulled toward a new career path.
Speaker 4: Are you trying to push them out the door?
Speaker 1: I'm looking for anything interesting? Oh I didn't find anything else?
Speaker 5: That was it?
Speaker 4: What are you? You're a rat?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 4: No, I'm an ox. Oh you're not like the ox.
Speaker 1: People are supported in the Year of the Snake, especially regarding creative expression and professional innovation.
Speaker 4: Interesting, you like those things?
Speaker 2: Calm and considered is the name of the game when it comes to both business and pleasure.
Speaker 1: This year, Wang advises ox Folk to make decisions rooted in logic. Well, that's different for you. You're all emotions, it says, resist rushing in or succumbing to peer pressure.
Speaker 4: My lucky color this year, what is it? Orange? Orange?
Speaker 1: What's Jacob's lucky color? Let's see here, pigs red, Jacob red. Okay, I'll take note where the monkey's at.
Speaker 3: Mmm.
Speaker 4: I'm just listening to you read this is not true. Oh here swamp watch when we come back. Also a quick comment about an old swamp watch, a jingle that we used to play. Oh, people are still a Nope, they're not. It's just Cardy D. Pierce hurt about this.
Speaker 2: Gary and Shannon will continue miss any part of our show. Do not be afraid to download the podcast and listen to it. You can go to KFIAM six forty dot com, slash Garyanshannon, or anywhere you find your favorite podcast search for Gary and Shannon.
Speaker 4: We'll be back right after this. You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 2: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.