Speaker 1: Golf Smarter number three hundred and fifty six, published on November six, twenty twelve.
Speaker 2: Welcome to golf Smarter Mulligans, your second chance to gain insight and advice from the best instructors featured on the Golf Smarter podcast. Great Golf Instruction never gets old. Our interview library features hundreds of hours of game improvement conversations like this that are no longer available in any podcast app.
Speaker 3: I'm thinking this is perfect, this couldn't be better. I missed my first ten. There's no way I can miss e let given the ball, and that's what the mentally tough athlete thanks. They always want the ball. They always see the next shot as an opportunity, and they keep on shooting, shooting, shooting, And people in all that are not my light top don't do that. They're defeated when they get to the course that are defeated.
Speaker 4: If they get three holes in, they started bogey, double bowie, it's all over. They don't think that way more. We help people in.
Speaker 3: This program understand that the whole bowl of golf is to be able to walk up to your golf ball and see an opportunity to do something amazing.
Speaker 4: The highlight reel is virtually never from the tea box or the center of the fair.
Speaker 3: With the highlight reel is from impossible situations, tough lines, no view of the pin, You got to hook it around, go over something, you made a long putt to save par, you were down that you weren't out, You came back and you made five birdies to finish the round. I mean that's the stuff that highlight reels a right. So instead of hitting the ball somewhere that you don't like in saying this sucks or now I'm screwed, why not say.
Speaker 4: This is perfect? This couldn't be better.
Speaker 3: Because when I put this ball around this tree and a bounce between those buckers and a coast of.
Speaker 4: The cut, this crowd is going to lose their mind.
Speaker 3: And that's how a mentally tough athlete thinks.
Speaker 1: Jeff Ritter's preview of his upcoming fifty two week Make the Turn Challenge. This is Golf Smarter.
Speaker 2: Each week we tap the best minds in golf to help lower your scores with tips, drills, insights, and advice in conversation with course pros, architects, authors, players, teaching gurus and coaches.
Speaker 1: Here's your host, Fred Green, Welcome back to Golf Smarter for members only.
Speaker 4: Jeff, Fred, how you doing.
Speaker 1: I'm doing fine. Hope you had a great week. And I've given you enough time to think about this because you know, before before we get into our make our make the Turn fifty two week challenge, I want to talk a little bit about Square it Up because I know that the Golf Smarter members all over the world are not only fascinated by your work, but there are also a lot of golf professionals that have discovered Golf Smarter. So tell me about and tell us about Square it Up and what you're doing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well we'll.
Speaker 3: Square it Up is a company that I started about two years ago with my business partner, Jeff Bolton. It's a website design, marketing, and personal branding company that's dedicated most specifically to the golf business and even within that demographic, more specifically to the coaches out there. So we're branching out into doing some branding for golf facilities.
Speaker 4: And what we do is it's all small business related.
Speaker 3: So anybody that has an idea or a skill that you need from a small business perspective, such as golf instruction you know, we're going to help them.
Speaker 4: Leverage that platform, you know, to its ultimate potential. So it was something that kind of was.
Speaker 3: Born from my success using social media in the last seven eight years.
Speaker 4: Jeff Bolten was a client of mine.
Speaker 3: He had run a very successful business in his own right and decided to exercise his exit strategy and he was really passionate about getting into the golf business and doing something cool. So we started Square it Up and we sort of launched on a larger scale last year than the PGA Show, and now we've got nearly seventy clients that are working with us all the world to build their brands. So, you know, when I'm not coaching, I do actually spend a lot of time talking to PGA professionals across the country about how to leverage their gift of coaching into something that's you know, fulfilling and worthwhile both you know, financially for themselves but also for the.
Speaker 4: Security of their families.
Speaker 1: It's a good looking website, man, Thank you, thank you. It's very sharp.
Speaker 3: You know, the golf businesses, you know, as you know, it's the entertainment business, and the things that we're trying to do is you know, to really slick graphics and great connection points, be able to you know, get the consumer connected with you know, the unique skills of the professional. And it's one of these things where, for some reason, in our industry, and I think it's probably the same a lot of industries when it comes to the presentation of the skill, a lot of people like to cut corners and.
Speaker 4: Do it themselves. And you know, you spend you know, a lot of time.
Speaker 3: Coaches spend so much more money, you know, learning how to become better coaches.
Speaker 4: You know, they go to workshops and seminars.
Speaker 3: And if the golf consumer you knew how much time a really good coach spends, you know, trying to find every possible way to help them learn how to play better, they'd be really astounded. So what we're all about doing is about saying, you know, we understand that you've you know, built yourself up into a pretty good coach. Now let's make sure that the consumer really understands how.
Speaker 4: Good you are and what that value is. And you know that that's where marketing comes in.
Speaker 1: Fabulous, Well, congratulations again, it does look great. It's a great idea, and you've created a really good niche for yourself. So anybody wants to check it out, go out to branding dot square at up dot com or just type in squared up dot com and you'll get there. That's right, it's worth it's worth of you, and it's worth more conversation for us. Jeff, all right, so now let's talk about the fifty two week challenge. Tell us one more time refresh our men on what Make the Turn is and what you want to do for your fifty two week challenge.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, the core initiative behind jeffer Or Golf was a program called Make the Turn. And as we said during the last segment, you know, make the Turn it's a high performance, lifestyle based brand that really helps people get inspired and energized about their games and also their lives in the areas of golf, performance, mindset, fitness, and nutrition.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: So what we're going to be doing to help launch the program really get people excited about what we're doing is we're going to have a fifty two week weekend challenge. So basically what people will be able to do is this will probably start, I guess most officially probably around like the first of the year. Fred.
Speaker 4: We talked with our team actually since our last conversation.
Speaker 3: We want to make sure that all of our ducks are in a row and we've got most of the content completed. But you'll be able to go to Facebook on a Friday and you'll be able to see what the challenge is for that week. It's going to rotate in that order of golf performance, mindset, fitness nutrition.
Speaker 4: We're going to try and do is give people more of a sense of purpose.
Speaker 3: Behind the time that they spend on the golf course and also in some cases away from the golf course as well. Like we discussed before, you know, golf is such a tip based industry, and as a coach, I've just gotten tired of listening to tips, you know, from myself, from other coaches, and I want the tips to add up to something that's a little bit bigger than.
Speaker 4: Just a one off experience.
Speaker 3: You know. So when you go to the golf course, if it's golf performance based, you're going to have some kind of a of a drill to.
Speaker 4: Try and complete.
Speaker 3: It could be in the areas of you know, power or putting or chipping or pitching or sand. If it's mindset based, it might be an attitude that you're going to.
Speaker 4: Hold for the day on the course.
Speaker 3: And as you mentioned, you wanted me to talk about some of the exact challenges, But it's all about creating a sense of purpose. And all these challenges are are very doable, but they are they are challenging. And the idea is that if you participate in freday this program for fifty two weeks and each Saturday you actually try to complete one.
Speaker 4: Of these challenges.
Speaker 3: Some of these challenges is designed to improve your game, improve your mindset long term, improve your overall health, and improve the way that your body performs in fields. So a lot of times when people start getting into a program, the size of the program is so overwhelming.
Speaker 4: You know, it's like p ninety X.
Speaker 3: It's a great program, but man, you got to bust your butt for ninety straight days.
Speaker 4: I don't know how many people can actually do something like that.
Speaker 3: So this is all about getting people excited and engaged and you know, having.
Speaker 4: Little victories along the way that up to something big in the end.
Speaker 1: So if it's only going to be one day a week, I mean you're issuing it on a Friday and asking people to do it on a Saturday or whatever day works for them that week. I'm sure whatever their Saturday is, they may work on weekends and Wednesday is their Saturdays.
Speaker 4: Right exactly.
Speaker 3: You know, the weekend challenge is just you know, it's a good moniker for a program like this, and if somebody doesn't complete the challenge, it doesn't mean that the next time they go out they don't actively participate or work on it. You know, it's just sort of something we can put out every single week for fifty two weeks, and it's something people can look forward to.
Speaker 4: So certainly they can choose the day that works best for them. But of course if they don't complete the challenge day one, now they know.
Speaker 3: That they get something to work towards and they can infuse that practice session with that sense of purpose that we're.
Speaker 4: Trying so hard to supply.
Speaker 1: So let me play this skeptic here for a minute on this idea, if you don't mind without me offending you. So, you're not requiring a lot of time in each challenge.
Speaker 4: Not at all, not at all.
Speaker 3: I mean in the time that you're normally going to dedicate at the golf course. It's just adding purpose to that time that you're already setting aside pretty much.
Speaker 1: And so that is key, is just adding a purpose exactly exactly. So I do challenge the first five, six, seven weeks, and now we're starting now the eighth week, ninth week. Now I'm starting to get into the rhythm of each each week you have a different challenge, but you're going to be repeating these. What's going to remind me of what challenge one was when I get to week ten and why that was important at that time but it's no longer important.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, basically all the challenges will be listed on to make the Turn blog, so you can actually go back there and catalog the challenges and make sure.
Speaker 4: That you can reference them. They're all going to be important. It's one of these things where just because you.
Speaker 3: Completed it, it doesn't mean that it's being left behind, you know. So for example, if you've completed you know, five to the fitness challenges, these are all things that are designed to be sort of combined together that can actually become a.
Speaker 4: Relevant workout routine for you.
Speaker 3: You know. But right now I'm not saying you have to get into a workout program.
Speaker 4: I'm challenging to get up in the morning and learn how to.
Speaker 3: Stretch properly with one basic stretch or challenging you get up in the morning and do a balance drill, or get up in the morning and spend five minutes doing some kind of a strength based drill that can be done in the comfort of your own home. And you know, life is all about building momentum. You know, anyone who's really gotten involved with fitness knows that. You know, the first day you go out there, you know, it feels like, you know, the moment that you move or stretch or pick something up, it feels like your muscle is going to rip off the bone.
Speaker 4: It's it's a terrible thing, you know, the first time you.
Speaker 3: Experience fitness, if you are if you are unfit, or if you're not conditioned for that. But the moment you start to see yourself becoming more flexible or feel yourself getting stronger, or you don't have that soreness, the next day you can.
Speaker 4: Go farther and farther into the program.
Speaker 3: That's where you start building that momentum where you you really want to go to the gym and you want to push it.
Speaker 4: Harder, you know.
Speaker 3: So this is all about creating you know, challenges that are that are doable, but they are are challenging, you know, revealing you might have a deficiency. But once you complete a challenge, inspiring you to go ahead and tackle another one.
Speaker 1: Wow, I thought I was going to be a bad guy and throw out something you wouldn't have an answer for. Now I'm curious, so we've got let's review what the the categories of challenges are again mental.
Speaker 3: Well, so we'll start with the golf performance, which, yeah, the technical aspect of proficiency, right, and then there's mindset, fitness, and nutrition.
Speaker 4: Those are four key categories.
Speaker 1: Define mindset.
Speaker 3: Mindset would be you know, the attitude which is the precursor to each and every action that you have throughout the day.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's okay, golf proficiency, mindset, fitness, nutrition.
Speaker 3: You got it. Golf performance, we'll say golf perform, golf performance, golf.
Speaker 4: Performance, mindset, fitness and nutrition.
Speaker 1: All right, let's uh, let's start. Let's I'm really, I'm so curious. I want to do one challenge of each of these and that that's well, we'll cover the rest of the uh the next twenty minutes. Well, let's do that. So I'm sure that you. I know that you can put five minutes into each of these. We've talked so many times. I know you can give me a five minute answer if you need to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, and some of these are going to be you know, all these challenges that I'm doing, they're going to be video based challenges, so not only can you hear what I say, but you can see me demonstrating the challenge right before your eyes. So some of these right here are going to be pretty difficult to explain, such as the stretch that I have going.
Speaker 1: But but no, I'll just you will do it slowly and I'll do it along with you. You'll I'll get there, okay, So listen, I've done yoga for golfers a number of times in this show. I can we can get across anything in audio.
Speaker 4: Well cool, and the one I'm going to give you today. Some are more difficult.
Speaker 3: So the first challenge, which is a short game based challenge, is probably not a challenge that you would start with.
Speaker 4: But I'm going to throw it out there anyway.
Speaker 1: So I love it.
Speaker 3: You know, when people go out to the golf course, they buy a bucket of balls and they just start whacking them. You know, and when it comes to putting, you know, they'll drop down two or three balls and I'll put them around for a few minutes and they say, well, I got my putting practice in. And also if they do have a couple of drills that they've learned, you know, those drills get stale after time. So one of my one of my favorite drills over the years is a it's a four shot short game drill.
Speaker 4: And what someone's going to do it it's important that they can find a decent short game area to practice at.
Speaker 3: Doesn't have to be perfect, doesn't have to be like it's one of PGA West or some Race Jones masterpiece right like that.
Speaker 4: But you know, we would like to be able to set up four different shots.
Speaker 3: A fifty yard pitch, a fifteen yard pitch that goes over a mound or over a bunker to the green, a forty five foot chip, and then also a fifteen foot putt. So basically, what they're going to do is they're going to take ten balls and put them at each one of these locations, and the goal is to take as much time over each shot. So, for example, if you're doing the forty five foot schip, you're going to take as much time over each shot as if you were trying to get up and down during a round of golf. So we're trying to get away from that rapid fire aspect.
Speaker 1: Of practice of the bucket.
Speaker 4: Yeah, to try and practice like you play right, sweep.
Speaker 1: And swing sweep and swing sweep and swing sweep, sweep the ball in front of you, hit it. Sweep the ball in front of you, hit it.
Speaker 3: So once you hit your ten shots from fifty yards and then hit your ten shots you know in the pitching shipping rotation, and then you roll ten puts from fifteen feet, you're going to go back to these places and you're going to hit one shot and you're going to play that shot.
Speaker 4: Out to the hole right.
Speaker 3: So your goal to complete this challenge is the number one, hit all of your shots with that encore style attitude and then hit one shot, get all the shots up and down and make the fifteen foot putt.
Speaker 4: That's a harbor preak.
Speaker 1: Yes it is. That's the way. So after you've done so, now you've got you've given four different shots, taking ten swings each right or whenever, reiterate this yep, okay, and then when you finish those forty shots, you want to go back to your fifty yard pitch with one ball right and do the fifty yard pitch, but you want to get it up and down right. I see, Then you want to go back to your fifteen yard pitch and get it up and down right.
Speaker 4: Yes, so the complete challenge.
Speaker 3: You have to get all three shots up and down and make the putt to complete the challenge. So that that's a challenge that you could go out and do every time you practice a short game, right. So this is one of those challenges where I would be very surprised if people were able to complete it that day.
Speaker 4: But that's why it's challenging.
Speaker 3: So it's going to really show you how important short game is.
Speaker 4: It's going to show.
Speaker 3: You, you know, what your deficiencies might be and where. But any professional golfer could could go out and very easily complete complete this challenge.
Speaker 1: I love this challenge. Yeah, I really love this challenge. I think I'm not going to sneak out now that the sun is it's not daylight saving time, you know, the local golf course, it's going to get dark early enough where I can get to a hole that no one's going to be around. I'm not really doing that.
Speaker 4: I'm actually enough Fred. You know, if you've got a nice, decent.
Speaker 3: Practice bunker in proximity, you could have a shot and do the same thing for about ten to twelve year old bunker shot.
Speaker 1: Okay, a bunker shot for just a greenside bunker.
Speaker 4: Shot, right, bunker shot, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: That's a phenomenal challenge. Oh that is so good. Okay. Fifty yard pitch, fifteen yard pitch, forty foot and ship forty five foot chip, fifteen foot put and then a green side.
Speaker 4: Bunker greenside bumker shot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nice, very good. Okay, that is a great make the turn performance challenge.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that is a challenge that I actually got years ago. I saw it in Golf di Just magazine. You got to give credit where credit is due. I believe Jack Kin, Jack Nulkin had a I think it was a breaking.
Speaker 4: Maybe one hundred and ninety or eighty, and that was in there.
Speaker 3: But I think it's one of the drills that he's done over the years with his tour pros and whatnot.
Speaker 4: And also his client. So I stole that from Jack Lumpkin, and that was.
Speaker 1: Part of my challenge and I just stole it from you. I'll take full credit, Hurt. That's a good one, all right, let's move on to the mindset challenge.
Speaker 4: Mindset challenge.
Speaker 3: Well, in golf and also in life, we believe that people are at their best when they feel their best.
Speaker 4: Would you agree with that form yes? Yes, okay.
Speaker 3: So the way we understand performance with the psychology of performance is that your thoughts are where the whole chain starts, and thoughts turn into feelings. Feelings then become actions, and actions then become results. So as I'm working with my clients to help them understand that there's a formula which is and this is not going to be proper English, but we say think good, feel good, play good, and then we say think bad, feel bad, play bad. So basically, how you think during the round of golf is always either elevating or knocking down your mood. So we try and help people understand that if they're going to be playing at the pinnacle of their ability, then they always have to be elevating their mood into a positive circumstance as much as possible on the golf course. So what we do is we have an exercise in awareness. And this is our mindset challenge and it has to do with paper clips.
Speaker 4: So what we're going to.
Speaker 3: Have the folks do is they're going to go grab a handful of paper clips, maybe twenty to fifty, and they're going to shove them in their front pocket and they're going to tee off on the first whole thread. And every time they have a negative thought or reaction, either to a shot they hit or anything going on in the golf.
Speaker 4: Course, they have to recognize that.
Speaker 3: Take one paper clip from their front pocket and they have to stick it in their back pocket.
Speaker 1: And jam it in their legs.
Speaker 3: They have to empty their back pocket and have to they have to count how many times their thinking is killing their performance. Interesting, Yeah, and that's something that you know, I do with all my competitive players, something that I do in all of my junior golf camps in Pebble Beach, and it's really revealing, you know.
Speaker 4: How negative people are.
Speaker 3: And the thing is is that I'm not saying that we're looking for someone to be positive all the time. You know, puppies and butterflies and all that stuff, But the number of times people kill themselves they're thinking throughout a day and also the golf course, it's astonishing. I could give someone a hundred paper clips and believe me, you know, for them to finish nine holes if they have a negative attitude might be.
Speaker 4: A tall order.
Speaker 3: So it's really all about awareness and the goal is to understand that you control your thinking, which means that you control your mood. And the more you control your mood, the more control you're going to have over your game in your score. So it's all about the art of awareness and being able to knock down some of that negativity over time. And of course that's a challenge which can be helpful both on the golf course and off.
Speaker 1: And an example, you're on the tea box and you, uh, well, you know, you hit a drive. You feel like it's a good drive, but it ends up at a bunker and you go, oh, tiger, right. Isn't nobody always hells it himself? I mean, is that what we're talking about? Or is it when you tee off and the ball just just big right turn from the start and you just know as soon as you strike it, you know this is not going to be good. Is it a reaction? Is it a negative reaction?
Speaker 3: It's it's a it's a negative thought or reaction to to anything.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: So for example, you can walk up to your ball and you can say, I can't believe my ball is in this divit boy, I just got screwed.
Speaker 4: Can you believe this? Right? That's that's negativity, right.
Speaker 3: And if you hit a ball and it goes out of bounce, that's negativity. And the thing is that, you know, William shakes your fred nothing is good or bad until thinking makes it so. So you have a choice. Every time you walk up to a ball, make a swing, see a result, you have a choice. You have a decision as to how you're going to respond to it. And the disciplined athlete, the one that's mentally tough, knows that when they have negative thoughts and reactions to outcomes, they are diminishing, knocking down their mood, which is going to affect their performance in the law run. So basically there's an attitude which basically feeds off of this paper clip drill and weares drill. It's called the shooter's mentality and it comes from basketball and true story. So Michael Jordan goes out first night, you know, during a four or five game series, whatever, he's playing, and he goes out and he is on fire. Every time he gets the ball, throws it up, boom switch, nothing but net. And I always talk to my kids about this, so I say, okay, Now Michael.
Speaker 4: Jordan goes out.
Speaker 3: Heil his first ten shots, nothing but net, nothing but net, nothing but net.
Speaker 4: What is he thinking?
Speaker 3: You know? The kids are like, he's thinking, this is great. They say, he can give me the ball. That's what he's thinking. He's thinking, this is perfect, this couldn't be better.
Speaker 4: Give them the ball. I won fire. Well, the next night he.
Speaker 3: Goes out and he's playing the same team, and of course everyone on his team is the same.
Speaker 4: The crowd might even be the same. They got season tickets.
Speaker 3: And he goes out and he has the exact opposite start to the game. Instead of making his first ten, he actually misses his first ten airball brick. I mean, he doesn't have his best stuff. So I see the kids what is he thinking? And the first kid says, he's thinking, don't give me the ball.
Speaker 4: I said, no, it's not what he's thinking. He's Michael Jordan, give me the ball.
Speaker 1: Give me the ball. It's going to turn any moment.
Speaker 3: He's thinking this is perfect, this couldn't be better. I missed my first ten. There's no way I can miss all that and give you the ball. And that's what the mentally tough athlete thanks. They always want the ball. They always see the next shot as an opportunity, and they keep on shooting, shooting, shooting. And people in golf that are not mentally tough don't do that. You know, they're defeated when they get to the course.
Speaker 4: They're defeated.
Speaker 3: If they get three holes in and they started bogey, double bowie, it's all over.
Speaker 4: They don't think that way, you know.
Speaker 3: So the more we help these these kids and also my clients and people in this program understand that, you know, the whole bowl of golf is to be able to walk up to your golf ball and see an opportunity, an opportunity to do something amazing. The highlight reel is virtually never from the tea box or the center of the fair with. The highlight reel, you know, is from impossible situations. You know, tough lines, you know, no view of the pin, you got to hook it around, go over something, you made.
Speaker 4: A long putt, you know, to save par.
Speaker 3: You know you were down, that you weren't out, and you came back and you made five birdies to finish the round.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's the stuff that highlight reels are.
Speaker 3: So instead of hitting a ball somewhere that you don't like in saying this sucks or now I'm screwed, why not say this is perfect.
Speaker 4: This couldn't be better.
Speaker 3: Because when I put this ball around this tree and a bounce between those bunkers and a coast of that cut, this crowd is going to lose their mind, you know. And that's how a mentally tough athlete thinks. And that's what we're going to try and do, and start with this little paper clip challenges, building the art of awareness, recognizing that your thoughts are killing you and count how many times that's happening, and then from there be able to start knocking down the number of times you kill yourself until you turn yourself into a mentally tough performance.
Speaker 1: I have, actually multiple times I know that when I will have a bad first hole or all three put a hole something like that, it's like my attitude is, oh good, got that out of the way. Now I don't have to worry about doing that again, you know, it's not going to come back, all right? Is that kind of a similar to what you're talking about.
Speaker 4: You know, it's it's a positive way to look at it.
Speaker 3: I think you could flip it around a little bit more and be even more excited.
Speaker 4: But it's a good start. It's not looking at it in a negative light.
Speaker 3: And it's funny because when I do this exercise with the kids in my camps number one, they see how much they clill themselves, and then we start working on some of these practices such as the shooter's mentality, and the next day they could have come back and say, Coach Chet, I can't believe it.
Speaker 4: It worked. You know.
Speaker 3: I got over the ball. I said, this is going to be awesome. I can't wait to hit the shot. I got myself pumped up, you know, I was relaxed, you know, I was excited to engage in the shot, and all of a sudden, the ball started going towards the hole, you know. And it's it's just amazing how much control we actually do have over our performance, and we do.
Speaker 4: Things that we've been conditioned to.
Speaker 3: Do, and we don't realize that it's been fit into us through conditioning and the moment you realize that you have a choice and you think, and you're thinking.
Speaker 4: Really does affect your performance.
Speaker 3: It's easy to start shifting it, you know, more in your favor, but it is something that happens over time.
Speaker 1: Another excellent challenge, and you can do fifty of these fifty two of these fifty two.
Speaker 4: Wow, it's only thirteen in each category. It was actually pretty easy to come up with this, right.
Speaker 1: Well, and as you have already admitted, you're not creating all these you're taking them from other resources that you've used in the past. Absolutely great, Well, I just love them anyway. All right, let's move on to next would be the Fitness Challenge.
Speaker 4: Fittest Challenge.
Speaker 3: So when it comes to stretching, people understand that it's important to be loose some numbers to prevent injury, but also maximize range of motion to increase clubhead speed and power and all that good stuff. But instead of trying to do ten different stretches before you go to the golf course. At the golf course, I'm going to introduce to you one stretch to start with that might be the only stretch you ever need, called the World's Greatest Stretch.
Speaker 1: Fread the world's greatest stretch. Fred. Wow, how what a coincidence?
Speaker 3: World wretch Comma, Okay.
Speaker 1: An exclamation point for enthusiasm, Okay, Fred, Fred, Okay, we'll just call this stretch Fred.
Speaker 4: That's right. It's called the world's greatest stretch. And it's actually a stretch.
Speaker 3: That I learned in my time training at a facility here called athletes Performance.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you've heard of athletes.
Speaker 3: Performance before, but Athletes's Performance is. It's an amazing place.
Speaker 4: It's not a gym.
Speaker 3: It's actually an off season haven for the world's greatest athletes. And when I was training there, you know, I was training alongside no More Garcia Para and Mia Hamm.
Speaker 4: And Nikolai, Cobby Bullen and Marlon.
Speaker 3: Jackson of the Indiapolis Colts, and the list goes on and.
Speaker 1: Oh cool, and that's the Phoenix area. I'm sure where they all congregate in the winter.
Speaker 3: Last year, Athletes' Performance turned out fifteen first round NFL draft picks.
Speaker 4: It is the real deal.
Speaker 3: So back in the day, for they were actually located within walking distance of my lesson tee at the time, which was at Arizona State.
Speaker 4: They actually had a partnership with Arizona State.
Speaker 3: They built their training facility on Arizona State property.
Speaker 1: Wasn't that the Solheim Center.
Speaker 4: Oh it was.
Speaker 3: Different, different, okay, but that's where it was, and it was it was absolutely massive, and I got a chance to go over there every day before I started teaching and actually train with their trainers in a pretty cool program, and it really changed my life. And one of the things that we learned was one of these stretches called the World's Greatest Stretch. It was part of our movement prep in the morning before we actually went out and started lifting weights and doing all our strength based practices. So if you were at a Major League Baseball event, like I know you're a baseball fan, or an NFL game prior to the start of kickoff, or a soccer match or whatnot, you might see players out there doing their pregame warm ups and you might see them doing a stretch known as the World's Greatest Stretch. And the reason why it's called the World's Greatest stretch is that within a couple of moves that are all linked together, this stretch hits your hamstrings, your hit flexus.
Speaker 4: You're growing works on balance and.
Speaker 3: Improves trunk rotation, so it does all of these things in one move. So the challenge would be for people to get up in the morning, go ahead and take the counch and move it aside, or walk out back and go ahead and try the stretch, which is going to really get them understanding more about number one, what their limitations are. But give them one move that they can master to improve a lot of various relevance to feeling better and also of course performing better.
Speaker 1: Do we get to know what the world's good stretches? Do we get to do it?
Speaker 4: I'll describe it. So the first thing you want to do is you would want to sort.
Speaker 3: Of stand in attention as if you were in the military, right, so abs drawn in, chest out, shoulders back, chin up, and then you're gonna go into a lunge.
Speaker 4: Most people know what a lunge is. So let's say you leave your left foot in place.
Speaker 3: You're gonna go ahead and stride forward and go into a nice deep lunge to balance yourself. You go ahead and put your left hand out to the side, and then you're gonna take your right forearm and you're going to try and press it way down to the ground so that your elbow is right to the inside of your right end step.
Speaker 1: So when you do okay, now I'm trying to do this, but wait a minute. So I'm standing at attention and I lunge with my left or my right foot.
Speaker 3: You're gonna lunge with your right foot, okay, and then you're gonna ahead and put your left hand down sort of a balance. And now you're gonna take your right forearm and you're gonna try and touch it the whole way down to the ground.
Speaker 4: So that's your right form is right inside the right instep.
Speaker 3: Of your shoe, and you should feel quite a stretch in that left hip flexer.
Speaker 4: Oh that's good, and also probably in the in the right growing area.
Speaker 1: Oh. I like that, So that is a good one.
Speaker 4: So from there, you're going to leave your left hand in place.
Speaker 3: You're gonna lift up your right arm and you're going to reach it up and over like you're looking over your right shoulder. So now I'm gonna get some trump rotation in there. Reach for the sky, turn your head to the right. Try and look at your fingers as you reach over your right shoulder.
Speaker 4: It's not that par fright.
Speaker 1: I'm in pain today anyway, so that's not a great thing to be doing. Doing this.
Speaker 4: The next thing you're gonna do, d is you're gonna take that right hand and I'll put it outside your right foot, so your.
Speaker 3: Left hand and your right hand are sort of on the ground, you know, even separation. But now your right hand is outside your right knee and your right hand is down outside your right foot.
Speaker 1: I feel like we're playing the game twister. Shouldn't you just say right hand?
Speaker 3: Red?
Speaker 1: That's what it feels like.
Speaker 3: Once you do that, Fred, you're gonna rock back towards your left foot and you're gonna take your right toe, lift it off the ground and try and bring it up towards your nose.
Speaker 4: And you should feel a huge hamstring stretch.
Speaker 1: Wow. And this is what I love about podcasts that I can back this up and go, okay, now what did he say again?
Speaker 4: Once you do that, there is more.
Speaker 3: Once you do that, you're gonna explode off your back foot and you're going to try and stick your landing so that you're standing just on your right foot and your left leg is up in front of you as.
Speaker 4: If you're going to take your next step forward.
Speaker 1: And going to your next lunch.
Speaker 4: Exactly. Wow, stick it for just one second.
Speaker 3: So the way that you know football players and baseball players and these other athletes do this. They'll actually go out to let's say the football field, and they'll stand on the goal line and they will do the world's greatest stretch for ten yards out.
Speaker 4: They'll turn and do it for ten yards back.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: So it's nice to have a little bit of room. You don't have to have that much.
Speaker 3: Room, but it's great if you can sort of link these motions together. So this is more of an active stretch versus a passive stretch. You know, active is moving through one motion into another, as opposed to just taking a body part, pinning it somewhere and holding it.
Speaker 1: Excellent. That's a good one, man. That's if you can.
Speaker 3: Learn how to do that, that is literally the only stretch you might ever need. And if you can start each day going out back with the dog or your kids ten yards out, ten yards back, you'll be amazed at how much loose you are, how much more ready you are for the day, and over time, how much you know pain in certain areas such as your hip, your back.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I'm going to beg you, Jeff, to make that the third week challenge so that I can see the video as soon as possible. So and and uh, and just work off the video, because you're right, this one that was definitely uh would make a lot more sense on video. But if you take it slowly on the audio, you'll figure it out.
Speaker 4: And I will.
Speaker 3: I will actually send you some information ahead of time because I've actually done that.
Speaker 4: Stretch a couple of times in a few different amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I can.
Speaker 3: Send you over those links, and I can dig into my athlete's performance video archive and uh send that one over as well. So athletes performance, you know, they've they've influenced my life in ways that.
Speaker 4: Have been really profound and beneficial to me.
Speaker 3: And Mark Porstagan, the guy that runs that program and the initiatives that he creates not only for athletes.
Speaker 4: But people all in the world. It's just it's just it's just amazing that guy, Mark Stagan is one of my my heroes in life.
Speaker 3: So I thank Mark for showing me this stuff right here and now this as well.
Speaker 4: It's part of my fifty two weeks challenge.
Speaker 1: So you said you're going to send me that link, and I appreciate that. Am I allowed to publish that on the website and put that in the show notes?
Speaker 3: Do it?
Speaker 4: Go for it?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Awesome? All right? So yeah, if that one intrigues you as it much as it does me, then look at the show notes for the link, or just go to golf Smarter dot com and click on it. It'll be right there. Awesome, Okay. And then our final nutrition peak at the Make the Turn Challenge.
Speaker 3: Yes, so nutrition, We'll just start with sugar consumption. Sugar is one of those things that we are learning as a society that is absolutely it's absolutely killing us. So it's all about, you know, starting the day and just for one day, try and remove sugar from your diet through the drinks that you consume. So a lot of people like drinking sodas and whatnot. They're full of sugar. The sodas that are diet in nature because of the sweeteners that they use. Artificial sweeteners might be worse for your health than the actual sugars that are part of the regular soas itself. So what I'm going to do is encourage people to try two things. Number One, if it's going to be cutting soda out. I want you to try a product called Zba.
Speaker 4: Have you heard of Zeba? No I have not, So Zba is ze v i okay okay.
Speaker 3: Zba is an all natural soda which is sweetened with a product called Stedia and Cedia is actually an erb that comes from New Zealand. It's entirely natural. It's actually sweeter than table sugar, but it's not actually sugar itself. It doesn't have an effect on your body's insult and levels. So the things that get out of wacked lead to weight gain and diabetes or whatnot. So it tastes great. Kate Monroe, who as you know, is my fiance, she's the nutritionist. She's actually sponsored by Zeba.
Speaker 4: They send a truckload of this stuff to our house.
Speaker 3: You use it in a lot of for nutrition consultations. And I used to be a big soda drinker and I switched over to this stuff. And now on a Sunday when I'm watching football, instead of having a traditional soda, I have a Zeba and it tastes great. It's got the physit it's a great soda replacement. You can go on their website, which is zb dot com, and you can find a retailer new you. We actually get it from from a place called Sprouts, which is a food chain here. I believe it's also a whole foods. It's showing up a lot of other places. I think now Southwest Airlines might actually carry it. Wow, that's an alternative if you're not a soda drinker.
Speaker 1: Which I am not. Actually, my sugar consumption consists of two teaspoons of sugar, not sweetener, but sugar in my cup of decaf coffee in the morning, and that's pretty much it. I have a chocolate chip cookie at the end of the day maybe, but that's that's pretty much it. So do I really have to give that up?
Speaker 4: Nope, But you know what you do? Yeah, you did have to give it back.
Speaker 3: Because now you can actually buy instead of sweet and low or some kind of artificial sugar.
Speaker 1: Yeah I don't like those.
Speaker 3: You can actually buy stevia in powdered form or even a liquid form, and you can use it as a replacement in your coffee or tea's or even lemonades. So, for example, if I'm going to have lemonade, we'll just take fresh lemons, We'll squeeze them, we'll add the water. We'll throw in a couple of scoops of Stevia, and now you got lemonade without all the sugar.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Stevia and zvia.
Speaker 4: Right, So obviously Zeba is sweetened with Stevia. That's how they got the name.
Speaker 1: Okay, and spell stevia for me.
Speaker 4: It's a ste v i a.
Speaker 3: And you can find a lot of places any kind of health bood store, like a Trader Joe's.
Speaker 4: They'll probably going to have it.
Speaker 3: But in the morning, what I do for my coffee, I like my morning coffee too fread, so I can get some nice organic coffee. We make it in the French press, and then I have my cup of coffee and I throw about one to.
Speaker 4: Two little tiny scoops of steed in there.
Speaker 3: So now I have the sweetness of my coffee, but I don't have the sugar that raises that is so.
Speaker 1: I will definitely look into stevia and swear that next time I go to the East Coast, I won't go do a dunkin Donuts run.
Speaker 3: So Fred, you can see that in just four weeks you've got some purpose with your short game. You're going to the golf course and you're adopting a mindset challenge that creates an awareness of how your thoughts are affecting your moods, which could help you on the course.
Speaker 4: But also off.
Speaker 3: You've learned the world's greatest stretch, and now you start to get looser, maybe sort of get rid of some of that pain that you have relative to your stiffness. And then all of a sudden you've been able to cut some of the sugar out of your diet. So it's a fifty two week challenge. Only four weeks, and look how much you've been affected already.
Speaker 1: I like the purpose and awareness part and and the flexibility and less sugar. Okay, so I love it all. Awesome, Jeff, thank you very much for giving us those tips. And again, it's going to be on your Facebook page.
Speaker 4: Right to be on Facebook page.
Speaker 3: I'll let you know because I've been on the show and we talked about I'll let you know the emailed as soon as they're all ready to go, so you can let the listeners know. But yeah, you know, I'm excited about it. You know, I'm so passionate about coaching, and I'm passionate about making a difference for the people that I connect with on the lesson tea, and I really wanted to create a brand that had a sense of purpose where you know, I could look at myself in the mirror and I could say, you're staying on the path, you know. And I never wanted to be the kind of person that would look in the mirror one day and say, you know, how did I lose my way? How did I, you know, get all this back pain?
Speaker 4: You know? How did I you know, lose my strength? How did I know develop this negative attitude? How did I lose my joy of playing the game? I never wanted to be like that. So you know, when.
Speaker 3: People engage in this program, you know they're not doing.
Speaker 4: It because I'm telling them too. They're doing it with me.
Speaker 3: It's a participation type thing where I want people to get excited about their lives through some of these things that I'm sharing that have been born out of the things that I'm excited with.
Speaker 4: So it's kind of like a journey we're all on together, and I want to hear about their successes.
Speaker 3: I mean, as people start engaging with this program for I want them to be able to, you know, viduoitate themselves completing a challenge or getting excited about something or taking a picture of themselves holding up a product like Zbia and posting it on my Facebook page.
Speaker 4: You know, So if we can kind of.
Speaker 3: Go on this journey together, I'm confident that, you know, one little challenge at a time, we can make a big difference for the lives of my clients and hopefully for the journey that I have for life myself.
Speaker 1: Well, listen, I know, since I have met Kate, that you can look in the mirror and stand next to her and just go, yes.
Speaker 5: You are done, my friend, and let's let's not let her know that she could do better.
Speaker 1: So, well, you've got a purpose. So she's gonna just watch you. She'll stay right there with you and encourage you to keep going. Because that's the kind of relationship you have, and that's why I like you so much. Buddy. Thank you well, thank you very much, and again. Jeffridtergolf dot com also that Jeffordter Golf is the Facebook page. Check it out, check out the fifty two week challenge, and not only respond to Jeff, I would really love the feedback as well to see how people are enjoying it and what they think about it and and encourage me. Will it will encourage me to of course bring you back on Golf Smarter again because I have so much fun and I learned so much from you.
Speaker 4: Jeff. Thank you, Thank you for love being on the show and any time love it