Speaker 1: Talk seven nine day, It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: You hear me say this pretty often that although I mentioned weather every now and then on the show, I mean it's pretty normal, I would say in broadcasting. But where we are I learn that really more so in the afternoon, because I've been on the air in this building where we are broadcasting, really in my own cave. I was doing mornings here for a little while, and then I've been in the afternoons for almost two years now. But for some reason, in the afternoon, like you really see how different weather can be, and you know when you haven't seen outside for you know, four and a half five hours. So I'm meant to during the break there go run and check and see if we have snow coming down.
Speaker 3: And then I realize where we are.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't really be able to tell anyway, because we're inside here at four Street Live. But I don't know where everybody's listening, hopefully all across the world, but if you're in the region, sounds like there's some snow north of us, maybe even right now outside here in Louisville. I don't think it's going to be anything crazy as far as the amount of snow, but winter is here again. I can't tell you if it's snow and right now, I can't tell you, you know, if it's sunny, or if it's gloomy, or if it's dark. But I do know that it's cold because I was outside today and I talked about this at the beginning of the show.
Speaker 3: Usually I'm ready for cold weather.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't like being brutally cold, but usually I you know, I'm not somebody that just knows cold weather's gonna be there and I'm gonna be miserable. But today I'm like, man, if this is the first day of cold weather, it's mid and is now late November, I've gotten soft because I'm not built for the cold weather like I once was, because hey, this is the fifties, this isn't that bad. And then I realized, oh, the chills crazy. It felt like twenty two degrees at one point earlier today, So yeah, the cold weather is here. We had to turn on the heat in our house for the first time.
Speaker 3: You guys done that?
Speaker 4: Really? Yes, it's always cold in our house.
Speaker 5: Anyway, So I'm always turning the AC off, but I had to turn on the heat this morning.
Speaker 2: Yeah it was it was cold out there, man, So stay warm, everybody. And you know, if you are somebody that gets the seasonal depression, I get it.
Speaker 3: It's a real thing.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I get like depressed when the good weather gets here in the spring. I think that my like seasonal depression is more so off of sports season and not like seasons of the weather, because yeah, once once really Derby's over, I realize.
Speaker 3: What is my life?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, and I hate to say that, because, like you know, I do have a life, and I'm very fortunate, and there are things much bigger to me in the world than sports. But I guess not that many things, because it is like, what am I supposed to do other than you know, the obvious things like, you know, take care of my children and you know, provide for my family. What am I supposed to do when college basketball's over and football's over and the you know, the Derby season is coming gone. So you guys are probably really bummed that we're here. I'm actually really happy. So yeah, my condolences to you. But I'll be I'll be right there in your shoes before you know it. Because I can't believe how quick everything goes by. How is it almost five? I'm like saying, crazy, man. I know I say that all the time and I'm a broken record, but it's just the truth. That's what I'm paid to do, is to tell you my honest opinions and and things that you know come to mind. And it comes to mind to me a lot that life goes by way too fast. So let's enjoy what we can.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: Does your car have because you do have the nice Volkswagen and it is all finally fixed. Autism tried to kill it, but on the biggest piece of what I can find in this studio.
Speaker 3: But does it I'm such a joke. We said we're gonna be childish. Yeah the rest of the way.
Speaker 5: Well, get your I mean your mind out of the gutterry. Does your car have a push to start like or not to go out and physically start it?
Speaker 4: Okay? Yeah?
Speaker 2: So I in fact I learned that during the UH during the rental phase whenever I was using a Volkswagen vvehicle while they were fixing mine. Thanks to AutoZone, who again tried to kill it. I realized that, like I would, I would take a while for me to get used to the keyless entry because I'm always programmed to just take my key out of my car and put it in my pocket and then you know I have it. But like I would get I wouldn't need to remove the key because you know, I didn't have to put it in anything to drive it, where I would just get out and leave the key in there and feel like I lost it, not remembering. So, you know, I have a newer car, but for some reason, like I don't know, it's almost like mine is. I guess it's not that rare. Mine's a twenty twenty, and I feel like most cars that range or newer, most of them are pushed to start. But I'm fine with my old school. Baby, Don't I like.
Speaker 4: Cranking the key?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, putting it into the ignition right.
Speaker 2: And so like I I mean, it was like you're it feels like you're honestly like using your muscle to start your car and not pushing a button.
Speaker 4: Right, It's it just starts off pure.
Speaker 3: Man American muscle.
Speaker 4: Baby.
Speaker 5: My, I mean, I've been without a car for a minute now. Because you still don't have your volts wine. No, No, that's it's it's done. No, I had to sell it, so me and the girlfriend are kind of trading off her car. She works from home like ninety five percent of the time anyways, but she's got like a four Nissan, so it's still the old school with like the key that you put.
Speaker 4: In actually into the ignition.
Speaker 5: But I've been spoiled because my mom got a brand new Nissan not that long ago, and it's just she can literally start the car from like inside the house.
Speaker 4: And when you're just talking.
Speaker 5: About weather, it's it's it's that weather to where I have to run outside real quick, start the car, get in the freezing car, then run back in.
Speaker 4: I'll finish what I'm doing and then But.
Speaker 5: I just envy everybody that has one of those push to starts, or just the one from the key where you could just start it up from from inside your house. Cause and I'm pretty sure we talked about this in the summer, doing the dog days of the ninety degree humidity, I hate getting into a car when it's just been any types of weather.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, no, I was literally getting ready to say that I've had our first house did not have a garage, and the last two that we by the way, I don't I don't own three houses. I've bought one, sold one, and sold another, and my wife each time just made a rational decision, Yeah we're moving, and then we did, and I just do what she tells me.
Speaker 3: So we got you know, we probably still live in our first house.
Speaker 2: If it was me that had to like initiate things because I just you know, in my own world, in my own bubble. But getting a garage was awesome because one, you know, I think people would prefer to have a garage rather than not. But I never realized that the biggest benefit of garage is not about space or storage or you know, the look, because they can certainly make a home look nice. Sure, it's because of what you just mentioned. Like in the summer, my car, you know, when it's one hundred degrees outside and I go in the morning to get in my car or in the afternoon, it's not cool in my car, but it's nowhere near what it's like if it had been baking in the sun.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's shaded.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the in the winter time, again, I got to turn my heat on. But man, if my car was out there in the hold, whether not in a garage, I mean, depending on where I'm going, even my car, which again is relatively newer, it would it would take you know, I wouldn't be warm and comfortable until you know, maybe what I maybe to the time I pulled in the parking lot of wherever I was going. So yeah, that's and when I think of like, man if I didn't have a garage, what I would miss? I would miss that more than anything.
Speaker 5: And you also have the thing where everyone does, and a pure procrastinator knows exactly what I'm talking about, where they're either trying to get to work on time, so they're like they have just where the whole windshield is still has ice on it. Oh yeah, and then you just got to carve out that little enough in the tunnel where you can.
Speaker 2: You've given you you've given yourself very little time to where you literally just are gonna have time to carve out one window, a little space to where you can see something, to where you don't wreck and it's still dangerous and you might even get pulled over if the cops see you. But hey, shout out to the procrastinators because I've been there before. That's right, I've done it. In fact, I usually push it so close for for time, and I look, I'm sure if my wife, if my family they're listening, you know, they'll tell you you're full of crap. You're late all the time, because I look, I'm not the most punctual, but I have for the most part managed like places I go, maybe not regularly, but like like I know what kind of time I need, Like, for example, whenever I leave the house to get my daughter to school, she's got to be there by eight thirty. If my wife is still at home and we leave for school, she's like, or do I need.
Speaker 3: To send a note? Do we need to check her in?
Speaker 2: And I'm like, chill, like, you don't, don't you don't know how I got this down, Like there's no way we're gonna be like we're gonna get We're gonna walk to that door at eight twenty nine and she's gonna be right on time. Like so I usually am am on time for the most part. But I do have a story about, you know, pushing it close like I always have, and it led to me getting pulled over. But it wasn't because of ice, so whenever I was in high school. I don't know why this became a thing. Like I know that, you know, you're not as mature when you're when you're a teenager as you are when you're a grown adult like I am now, although some people probably don't think of me as a grown adult, but I am, uh, you know kind of. But we would not, you know, I can't say that I didn't do it myself a time or two, but I don't know how it became a thing. But we would prank our friends or just people we went to school with there maybe sometimes even strangers because we were dumb idiots. But doing that, you know, pranking people is not why we were dumb. It's the prank that we did. It was rather harmless, but it was so childish and immature, and like why we thought it was funny, I don't know. I can't say what we called it because you know, it wouldn't be appropriate on the radio. But it rhymes with my name but starts with a D. We would call it that that in that in something like Hey I'm gonna go, I'm gonna go that word somebody's car. It meant that you would take window chalk like that. You would, you know, put on a car to put a price tag on it or to you know, or congratulations, yeah, graduates.
Speaker 3: We would we would draw.
Speaker 2: Chefts, I mean, you know, and we just thought we would just we would think it was funny that somebody would come out to their car after work or after school or maybe when they leave in the morning, and there'd be a big, you know, a big male body part on on their on their windshield or on their driver's side, uh door like window. And again, why we did it, I don't know, but it's funny. We thought it was funny. We were childish, and all I was I was really late one morning it was actually fall break. Basketball practice had just started. We had practice during the day because school was out, and I woke up late already and I knew I had to be at the gym. And I walked out and they got me, and I had, you know, I had them everywhere.
Speaker 4: I had one.
Speaker 2: I had one on the in the in the rear view a window or the review window, and then I had one on each side of each door, and then one on the wind shield.
Speaker 4: I mean, and you know what.
Speaker 2: Wasn't much coverage, so I just wiped off like half of it, uh where I could see out of the wind shield and I could see because you know, they didn't it didn't completely cover the entire window.
Speaker 3: It wasn't like a block of ice.
Speaker 2: But you know, I could see well enough, and I wasn't worried about getting it cleaned up, and I wasn't worried about, you know, looking like a fool, because I didn't want to be late to practice, you know, that's the last thing I wanted. But by leaving these you know, big penises drawn on the window of my car, I got pulled over Bullet County. You know, you can't be driving around like that, and I expect for the for the Bullet County brass to cut you know, pull you over and let you know that you know you can't you can't do that.
Speaker 3: Uh So I ended up being late anyway.
Speaker 2: And then when I explained to my coach what happened, you know, I mean, I'm sure he was like, what is wrong with your generation? And he had a valid question and I can't give you a good answer. So yeah, that was a long win in way of me saying, yeah, shout out to us procrastinators out there. Yeah, probably not a good trait to have, but you know, we we make it work.
Speaker 4: And shafted from the front and the back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it was. It was everywhere, man, it was. And again, many years later, I still wonder why we thought that was so funny, but.
Speaker 3: You know we did.
Speaker 4: I think you're just giving me some ideas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you could get away with it, and yeah you're an adult, but like you're younger than me. You know you can, you know, you can get away with a little more of the of the childish behavior and you know, probably not look as bad as me.
Speaker 3: But it's fun, isn't it. I don't want to grow up?
Speaker 4: You kidding me? Absolutely?
Speaker 5: We used to get well, I guess this doesn't have to do with uh, what partisables or anything like that.
Speaker 4: You like that word.
Speaker 3: The big words are being thrown at me here.
Speaker 4: That's right, very big on this show.
Speaker 5: But like we used to Uh my friend bought a thing from Amazon and it was like a card that says congratulations, you parked like an a hole. And then just when people just were just like the slightest bit off the line, they would just set those on the windshield and that used to get people mad.
Speaker 4: All the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but like that's also something that maybe you could chalk it up as childish behavior, but like I know grown adults that are old enough to be my grandparents that would do that if they could, because there's nothing worse than something like now you're making me look even worse. Mine was just childish, immature and gross. You know, you and your buddies are you know, potentially doing something that probably people are like, that's a damn good idea. I need to get some of those cards because there's people taking up two spots because they feel like their car is more valuable than others. They don't want somebody touching it. Those people are the worst, are they not?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: They are.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 5: When I worked at UPS, like we all shared the same community parking lot, and sometimes I mean, I guess there's people on our crew and in your group that if you came out last or if you weren't walking with the group, then they would set like a couple of like parking cones on your car and then just dump a bunch of trash on your car.
Speaker 3: So that's that's kind of that's that's over the line.
Speaker 4: That's me. That's over the line. I've done it a few times.
Speaker 3: Pouring trash on somebody's car. Yeah, and that's just well, I mean, you know.
Speaker 5: Like the someone's like McDonald's bag or like a coke thing in there and just kind.
Speaker 4: Of propped it up.
Speaker 3: It's not the worst thing.
Speaker 2: I get you made sure. It's not the worst thing missed off. No, I mean you mean like if somebody did it to you, Yeah, yeah, to me, Oh my god, yeah yeah, but you did it as well. But yeah, there's a good feeling about doing it for someone else. You have to go with the penises next time. Yeah, roll with that instead of the trash that was you know. That's yeah, that probably won't make him as angry. They'll probably be like, what whos did this?
Speaker 4: Like this? What?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 3: What message are they sending me?
Speaker 2: You may not want to get caught being the one who did that, because they may think that you might have meant, you know, something else. But anyways, let's get this thing back on the rails. Better late than never. It is Coffee and Company, five o'clock hour here on a Thursday afternoon. Appreciate you hanging out with us here On Sports Talk seven ninety we did talk some high school football recruiting, and typically that would not be something you'd expect to hear on this show, and I wouldn't really know how to make it a really entertaining topic. So it wasn't about any players specifically in the recruiting ranks, So it's more so just about Louisville's current situation with high school recruits. So they lost to recruit today from the twenty twenty five class, which drops them now to eleven commitments in twenty twenty five. And even before this commitment or this de commitment and another de commitment last week, they were already ranked last in the ACC which there's no way to say that and it not sound, I mean look like that's something that you never want to see and that's like's just hard for me to think there's any scenario where that's not a really bad look. You don't want to be last. So it's prettye opening. But depending upon how these rankings are put together, it may actually not be as bad as you'd think, because if it's rankings like they're typically put together based more on quan quality or i'm sorry, quantity and quality, then you know that's how you could end up. You could have a good class with an average rating that's pretty solid. But if you only have eleven and everybody in your conference has twenty something, then you're probably going to be towards the bottom. That's just how it works. So again, doesn't look great, and I'm choosing to believe. I can't prove it, but I'm choosing to believe that would happened against Stanford. Maybe the most embarrassing loss as far as how it happened is one of the worst losses ever for Louisville fans. I mean, that's it's still something I can't wrap my head around as far as it happening the way it did. So that doesn't help when it comes to the recruiting rankings being not good and then losing commitments. But if you consider where they're losing recruits and who these guys are, it makes sense. And the one today that decommitted as a running back, I mean imagine seeing Duke Watson and Isaac Brown, one of the best running backs in the country regardless of class. Like, if you're committed to come to Louisville next season and these two guys are killing it as true freshmen right now, I would be concerned about your mental health if you didn't decommit.
Speaker 3: I mean, I say that jokingly.
Speaker 2: But like you gotta really just love lot all that much, or you have to be that confident in your game to where you're not worried about, you know, playing time when it comes to a guy coming back just a year ahead of you that is an All American caliber player, so you know that. Again, Tommy's not great. I'm not saying that losing a recruit is ever something you're happy about, but I mean it makes sense that this kid would decommit. And I think Jeff Brohm is going to always lean more so on the biggest addition to his roster every offseason will be from the portal rather than from the high school recruiting ranks. Maybe there's years where it's not the case, but I think he is good at using the portal. He's proven that again louisll didn't lose to Stanford. Like Louis those issues this year. I mean, maybe you could chalk it up to where they're making mental mistakes and they have shortfalls because they're all playing together for the first time this season. Their experience is there, but it's not together like it's all new maybe you could claim that's the case, but I don't believe that. I mean, I can't prove that, but I don't think Louisville this year is losing games the way they are because of having too many guys in the from the portal, and in fact, louis is good. Louisville is good, and you're more frustrated about the season being where it is because you know, they went to the portal and got really good players like Jacry Brooks, who, by the way, is a finalist for the Blinking Off Award. I think that's the award that that I don't know now I got to look it up. It's not even relevant because we all know Jacory Brooks is great, but he is a finalist for one of the awards that goes to the best receivers in the countries, meaning he's now I think one of you know by this bullet cast, is it yet, right?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean, I know that's an award, but I don't know if it's for a receiver or not. I could be wrong, but either way, it doesn't matter. He's up for the big award that goes to the best receiver in the country, meaning he's one of the best receivers in the country. So you have him and Chuck and you got him in the portal. I mean, Brooks may be one of the most talented receivers we've ever had here. Like that sounds crazy and it sounds like some recency bias, but like you can tell he was a five star recruit. You can tell he was a really good player at Bama until he got hurt in law to spot because they have other really good players.
Speaker 4: It is a wide receiver reward.
Speaker 2: Okay, God, should I just trusted my gut, But anyways, like the portal has not been a problem for Louis for the.
Speaker 3: Last couple of years.
Speaker 2: It's been a factor and why you've had good years and this year is not as good as last year, but it's not because of the portal. So you never want to see your school in dead last in recruiting rankings because recruiting still doesn't matter, but it's not the end all, be all, and right now, I mean, I think Jeff Brown would be fine with taking a really small class every year if he can pull off getting guys like Isaac Brown and Duke Watson. So you know, I wasn't even thinking about it. But somebody made a point that coaches will use it against you in recruiting high school players, that hey, why would you go there? He never even you never, He doesn't even emphasize freshmen. He only goes to the portal. The majority of his roster newcomers are going to be transfers that are you know, four, four or five years older than you. Yeah, you can use that against brom but BROMP can also say, yeah, but look at Isaac Isaac Brown and Duke Watson and oh, by the way, also, you know, look at the small class that I bring in and know that we don't go after just anybody. We'll go after guys who we know are ready to play, so come and play for us. And that may not be the truth, like maybe it will take these guys some time, but like you can, you can spin it whichever way you want. So I think you know two things as to why this has become a legitimate talking point where fans are worried about recruiting. One of those one of those reasons is because this is still relatively new. We're not used to seeing recruiting rankings and seeing them be this bad and thinking, oh my god, we're gonna like we're gonna we're gonna suck. Well, no, it doesn't mean it doesn't mean you're gonna suck at all. You could be really good. But another factor is because of what happened on Saturday, you won't convince me otherwise. All right, quick break, We'll talk about the college football plaoff rankings coming up here on the other side, because everybody's yelling about the same few teams Texas and Indiana making the case for teams like BYU and Boise State as well as SMU on my side, but there are some teams that have some crazy stats and facts about their resume as of now that I'm not saying these should be talked about more than the others, but I think it'll let you know that because of this new format and how they go about it, you're gonna have all kinds of teams that are in contention that you look at the resume top to bottom and you don't feel like they're worthy of it because we're still used to it being four teams. They got up a twelve in and there's gonna be a lot of teams fighting for a handful of spots, and they got you know, some people are gonna.
Speaker 3: Get left out. All right, stick with us.
Speaker 2: We'll finish strong here in the five o'clock hour. I had fun, though hopefully you guys didn't, you know, get too turned off by our childish humor.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 3: It was fun, and we like to have fun right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: All right, we'll go back to the text line before we get out of here. And also, I want to revisit the college football playoff rankings, and really it isn't about the rankings. It's just about a guess to the field, those that are still alive for a spot on this twelve team playoff. There's some facts about teams that nobody's talking about. That Again, I don't think it proves really anything. It's just that what you're doing with Miami, what you're doing with Texas and Indiana, you know, you could do the same thing with a lot of these teams. Maybe not for the same reason, but there's things you could pick apart that you'd be like, wait a second, that doesn't add up. How are they ranked here? Whether it be you think they're ranked too high or too low. All right, I was talking about how, you know, when I was really childish back in high school, a lot of my friends we would draw.
Speaker 3: We would we would do it as a prank.
Speaker 2: We would draw penises on windshields and like that was really stupid, but we were dumb. And you know, I probably shouldn't eve admit that kind of stuff on on the radio, but I'm an open book. But as I mentioned, I got pulled over when Tom because I think the officer he realized that they he not only does this guy have some inappropriate things on his on his windows, they they're they're blue shoe level, you know what I'm saying. Like they've been they've been enhanced. And that's what blue Chee can do for you fellas. So I don't I wouldn't recommend, you know, right now, anybody's drawing on anybody's windows, you know, those kind of things, because that's a no no. But again, what I can recommend is blue Choo because they can enhance the experience that is already great for a lot of us, and that's the sex, that's sex. So if you're not familiar, blue Choo is a unique online service that delivers the same active ingredients as viagrant Cialis, but in a chewable form. In chewable form, i should say, and a fraction of the cost. It's a little blue pill and it actually is something you chew. You don't have to swallow it. You chew it up. It's tiny, it's delicious. In man, it works. They are a performance enhancement for the bedroom and can help men gain extra confidence when it's time to perform. So extra confidence enhancing the experience. Yes, now, maybe you need a little bit of a boost like those that lean on products like viagra. Well this is even better and it's at a fraction of the cost, So why wouldn't you take advantage of it.
Speaker 3: You'd have to go to the doctor to get it either.
Speaker 2: It's an online service, so no appointments, no awkward convos about you know the obvious. So go to bluetoo dot com right now. And this is how much they know their product works. They trust it, they know that you're gonna get hoo hooked. They're going to give it to you for free for an entire month. All you got to do is pay to get it shipped to you. So bluechoo dot com promo code Nick seven ninety pay five bucks shipping, Get a month free again bluetoo dot com promo code Nick seven ninety get one month free, pay five bucks shipping. You'll be happy that you did. You'll be thanking me. You're you'll be saying, man, Nick, you were right. I always just assumed. I mean, I don't know what you're thinking about me. When when you realize I'm right, because actually that now could get weird. Now now we're now we're in our own heads here. Now you're going to be thinking, Hey, the guy that'll listen to on the radio, he's the reason why I am trying this. Oh, and while you're realizing that it's working, I may come to your mind. You do that, you do without what you want. You know, you know that's that's your call. We don't even have to talk about it. But I just can see that that might be, you know, something that could happen to somebody, and if it does, you know, get it out of the way. It's a one time thing, and then you'll be moving on. Maybe maybe you realize you wanted to and you didn't really maybe you thought it'd be weird. Then you realize it's not that you're thinking about me, but you know, just know that it works and you'll be happy that you tried it.
Speaker 4: Young dumb and full of blue choo.
Speaker 3: That's right, that's right, good stuff, all right.
Speaker 4: Cool.
Speaker 2: So before we get to the text line, I do want to share these numbers because you know, I feel like I've talked about it here and there to where maybe I've overplayed it to where it's not as interesting as I think it is. But when it comes to teams that are still alive in the playoff, let's see here, let me pull it up. By the way, this is a great I love finding information on Twitter.
Speaker 3: For the show.
Speaker 2: In fact, it's probably my biggest resource as far as favoriting a tweet or sending it to myself into direct messages, because I want to make sure that I've got it here to reference on the show. Well, this this account, it is Vern dumb Quist, like a parody college football account, but they actually crank out some pretty good information and of course it's hence the name of Verne Lundquist.
Speaker 3: In fact, I lied.
Speaker 2: I just thought Vern dumb Quist was the name of a parody account that is the handle, but it's actually a guy named Chris Marler who I follow and I see as good content, but I didn't realize that he's actually he's a radio host himself. But he puts together graphics that are really cool in formative that you know, you know, that make it easier for me to prepare for my show. So thank you, mister vern dum quid Chris Marler. But when you look at stats in facts of the contenders here for the college football playoff, so this is something you probably did know because a lot of people have talked about Indiana. They've only played one team with a winning record all year, So take away the fact that they're not getting really really good wins and they don't have any To be honest with you, but the teams they're beating aren't even like average.
Speaker 3: They're all bad.
Speaker 2: Even the teams that were you know, nonpower comp like non Big ten games, like those teams are bad for who they are. And it doesn't mean Indiana isn't good. It also isn't as convincing to believe that they're good knowing that, like they've beaten up on everybody and they're undefeated, but they hasn't let me again strength of schedule comes up so often as if it proves anything, and it doesn't, because, in fact, Michigan is the best example. Michigan had the same type of schedule that Indiana did until the very end last year. Now, they ended up playing Penn State and then they played Ohio State, so therefore they did have two really good opponents. Indiana is only gonna have one, and that's what High State this weekend. So but Michigan, everybody knew they were really good and thought they were championship contenders, and they won the whole thing, but nobody brought up the fact that their schedule was insanely light until the very end of the year. So string of the schedule doesn't prove, you know, it just it leaves open the opportunity for people to question if your results are as impressive as the you know, as the numbers make them look. So again, Indiana has an awful schedule. That's not a debate, that's not a conversation. That's the facts. Are they actually as good as you know? Some Indiana fans choose to believe they're gonna find out soon enough, But it is crazy to think that they didn't just get a light schedule they got. I mean it's in you know again, it's not their fault, doesn't mean they're not great, but like facts are facts. Also Notre Dame. I don't know why Notre Dame. We had somebody calling yesterday and bring up like them being undeserving a team that's gonna end up getting in because they're not in a conference and they've got a really good record and their Notre Dame, but they don't have a shot of winning the whole thing.
Speaker 3: And I totally agree.
Speaker 2: But usually Notre Dame is the team everybody's complaining about because they would get in and steal a four team playoff spot, or they play for a national championship during the BCS era, and everybody would claim it's because they're you know, they're not in a conference. Why are we gonna do this? Anytime they get in the postseason at the high level, they get embarrassed. Are we doing this again? And now I think they're a target more than they've ever been. But yet all I'm hearing is Big ten fans in SEC fans yelling at each other, or the conversation about you know, the most deserving G five. So you know, Notre Dame they're in, but like I think they could be discussed as maybe the biggest. Like again, I don't know how good they are. They do have some decent wins that, in my opinion, you know, have lost a little bit of their luster. But like when they did have the NIU loss, when they beat Louisville, and Louisville ended up being a top twenty team, and Texas A and M has been a top twenty team really all year. That made it to where you didn't focus as much on the NIU loss, But I mean Notre Dame. They haven't played a true road game since Week three when they want it one and nine perdue, so you know, they have a you know, somewhat of a solid resume. But again, their best wins don't look as good as they did two weeks ago, and they have a glaringly bad loss that nobody else ever has. And yet again, I don't think people should claim that the NIU loss is like proof that.
Speaker 3: They shouldn't be in. But I'm surprised.
Speaker 2: It's not like I'm encouraging everybody to have this conversation, but I am surprised there hasn't been more people that realized if they played in a real league or any league in general. They don't play in a league at all, you'd have more like they'd have more opportunities to kind of really show if they're good or they're not. They're not playing in a conference. There's no consistency within their schedule. They don't have that extra data point to potentially take a loss and lose out. Like again, there's legitimate worry that whoever loses the SEC championship game is going to just to be eliminated. And those coaches in the SEC, of course, don't feel like that should be held against him because you know, they're playing in the SEC Championship. Like Notre Dame shouldn't be given the treatment that they're given by.
Speaker 3: The committee. I get why they do, but like they should be in a legue like everybody else. But that's just me.
Speaker 4: I know it's not just me.
Speaker 2: But again, if they were gonna be forced to go into a league, it would have happened long ago. All right, Boise State, a lot of people talking about Bois Right, They're looking like they're in pretty good shape to represent the g five. Six of their last eight games were against teams with four wins or less. So think about that. Now, they're not only you know, they're not only playing against teams that aren't very good, they're playing against teams that are terrible. And yet Boise again, we all know. Maybe the reason people are complaining about Bois as much is because you just know that they're probably gonna get take care of business and get in and there's really no debate, like there's not like again, that level gets a spot anyway, meaning nonpower leagues. So that's probably why they're not being taught. Like, if anything, I hear more people saying that they should be getting more love. I don't know if I agree with that, but with Boise, you know, somebody's gonna get that spot, regardless if it's State or anybody else. Like, that's not a spot that's going to go to somebody when it's all said and done. That is in the big ten of the sec of the acc of the Big twelve. Texas I think has turned in. I don't know why it took this long. I feel like a couple of weeks ago when we saw where Texas was slotted, it hit me that, yeah, their one loss is not a bad one. It's to Georgia. Who's great, but it wasn't that close. It was in Austin, Texas, and Texas has no good wins. So Texas right now, the only two teams that Texas has beat with a winning record Colorado State and Vandy. In Miami, I don't know if it's because Miami, you know, Miami is is a team that people probably feel like has already eliminated themselves. They could get in, but like you know, I think Miami having so many near losses and then finally losing, I think people are just kind of writing them off.
Speaker 3: But I haven't heard a whole lot of like debate about.
Speaker 2: Where they are in the playoff rankings, if it's legit or if it's you know, if the ranked too high or too low. But they also again don't have it. I mean, they have two wins over teams with the winning with winning records, and their best win is now. This is sad for Louisville, but Miami's best win now is not Louisville. It's Duke, Who's seven and three where Louisville sits at six and four. Another thing when it comes to Texas, Texas six of Texas's eight SEC games this year, are against teams in the bottom seven of the SEC standings. I'm going to defend Texas like I'll defend Indiana. That's not a good look for Texas, Texas being ranked with AAR like but Texas, but again, these are similar situations. It doesn't prove really much of anything. But Texas is also gonna show us where they are when they take on Texas A and M in a couple of weeks, or if they lose to Kentucky. We'll find out on Saturday. Because that that happens, we know that they're not nearly as good as the rankings indicate. But it's not their fault that the seven, yeah, six of the eight teams they play in league player in the bottom seven of the conference. Like that doesn't mean they're bad. It's just, you know, hard for them to go out and prove that they're very good.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: Georgia, of course, is.
Speaker 2: A team that is still as dangerous as anybody like I wouldn't be shocked at all they win the whole thing, but you know, they have more losses than they typically have this time of year. They have their loss to Ole Miss, they have their loss to Alabama, and is that it I think that's it. But either way, they've played five games against current top twenty teams this year and only one of those was at home, So you know, Georgia has some losses, but man, they've played a damn tough schedule against really good teams. And this is really is It has nothing to do with the playoff, But like, if you want to know why people aren't giving Penn State the benefit of the doubt, because I look, Penn State always wins games they're supposed to win, never wins the tough game against a team that at the time they're believed to be like on par with. Like Penn State just feels like a wasted playoff spot because of James Franklin is now two and twelve against top twenty five teams on the road during his time at Penn State. Now top twenty five opponents on the road. Very few coaches are going to have a good record. But you're the coach of Penn State and you're two and twelve all time, Like you should be better than that. And that is why I think you've shown that you don't really deserve the benefit of the doubt to be expected to win those games in Penn State's resume is pretty lousy too, right, last one of them, we'll take our final break. Tennessee and Indiana have the two worst opponent win percentage of the entire power For Tennessee opponents rank one to seventeenth nationally with a forty two percent winning percentage, and Indiana ranks one hundred and twenty fifth when it comes to winning percentage. That is quite literally an example of brand and conference benefit of the doubt and biased Tennessee's Tennessee Joshippel has taken them to where they're now way better than they were for a long stretch. And they don't you know, they're not you know they're there.
Speaker 3: They're good.
Speaker 2: Like I'm not saying that they're frauds, but like you could pick apart their resume as well. If people don't do it because they're in the SEC and their Tennessee, it's Indiana. When people are wondering, you know, they weren't paying close attention to the thinking to themselves how the Indiana and up the playoff conversation? Wait kidding, Indiana is a top five team in football. You then go look at the schedule and say, okay, well that explains it they didn't play nobody, which again is true, but clearly they're good. Now how good they are again, we will find out when they go to Columbus, Ohio on Saturday, which I have no clue what to expect out of that, but what I do know is that that's got to be the biggest Indian football game of all time and probably not much competition, to be honest with you, all right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side, wrap this thing up, get you out of here. Coffee and Company. Feel about Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to Coffee and Company. Fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine.
Speaker 2: Day, we are wrapping up the afternoon here, but tomorrow Friday good vibes of course, and also it's game day Louisville and Winthrop tomorrow night. So we didn't talk a whole lot about it in the five o'clock hour, but there was an Instagram post or I guess a story as technically what it was from Corain Johnson that has understandably made fans worry about him coming back sooner rather than later when it comes to that shoulder injury, and you know, I would imagine that, well, in fact, I would expect now just imagine that they'll He'll be asked that before the game, maybe by Paul Rodgers on the radio, or maybe after the game in the postgame press conference, or maybe Corn Johnson plays and like this is all for nothing. But he posted a picture that says and I wonder minor setback for a major comeback, which then he has like the praying emoji and says God's plan. So again, not an encouraging sign for somebody that has already injured and missed a game. And Pat Kelsey couldn't give us much of a timeline earlier this week. Maybe they got info that you know isn't good, but we won't know until we know, so you know, I'm not gonna act like this is good news. It's terrible news for everybody involved. And where I think you really one, you just lose, You lose an experienced guard, and you lose one of your guards that was going to play a lot of minutes regardless if he starts. But I think Koran, despite not really showing it a whole lot, I mean, he's shown it at times, but this is the PAC twelve Rookie of the Year or not Rookie Year, I'm sorry, PAC twelve six man of the Year.
Speaker 3: So you know, he's as proven.
Speaker 2: And again, I don't know if you can compare the careers of you know, Chucky Hepburn and Cooran Johnson, because you know, both have have played at the higher level, higher levels than the majority of this roster, and both were good but in different ways. So I'm not saying that one is better than the other. I'm just saying Korn is as proven at you know it, being the player he is at this level as Chucky, so losing.
Speaker 3: Him would be a real big bummer.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's no doubt and he's just when it comes to pure talent meaning and talent can mean a lot of different things for different people, So you know, I guess I'll try my best to explain what I mean when I say talent. I mean you can have good players that have talent, but like then, you can see guys who don't play a lot of minutes, but they're on a roster like Tennessee and they never have made a big impact, but they were highly ranked recruits because of talent. Because that's how you end up at a program like Tennessee. So you know, with that said, at times we're going to see guys on the Louisvels team, and we did against Tennessee. You realize, okay, yeah, that you know, I know why this guy probably had the numbers he had at the place he was that wasn't the same level of Tennessee. Corn is one of the guys you'd have to worry about that the least, not because he's a super talented guy that's going to play in the NBA, but because you know he's the former four star recruit himself.
Speaker 3: So it's not good news.
Speaker 2: But I will say, if there's something that can be taken from this that could potentially be beneficial down the line, it is that Pat Kelsey's now going to you know, have a backcourt that'll have a little bit more rhythm of anything, because there's just not those minutes to give out, Like you're not handing off Cooran Johnson's minutes to one specific guy. What you're gonna do is you know, rely on the other three guards a little bit more than.
Speaker 3: You typically do. So we'll see.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm talking as if it's already like confirmed that it's terrible news, and you know I don't know that, but.
Speaker 4: Don't know.
Speaker 3: We'll see, all right, you guys, have a good night. Stay warm. It's cold and it might be snowing, so be careful.
Speaker 4: Have a good night.