Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 2: It's time for your morning wake up call. Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: Oh sure, this is your wake up call for Tuesday, May thirteenth. I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Back from vacation, well rested. I was talking to producer and I literally, aside from like doing stuff on my phone with your phones, I didn't type for eleven days, yay, and I I was typing this morning. I'm like, I think I remember how it's so weird. But anyway, I'm anxious to tell you a some of my takeaways from our trip to Paris and then to London. I'll just say it was fabulous and we saved a long time for this one and it was well worth it.
Speaker 3: Yay.
Speaker 1: So brought back a nice shirt and I brought back a sparkly shirt. Yes, he sold it to me. He said it's very good quality. It's also too small. I bought it from my mom, but it fits me, so there's no way it's going to fit her. So I'm keeping it all right. Here's what's ahead on wake up call. The re sentencing hearing for Lyle and Eric Menendez begins today. At issue is whether the brothers who murdered their parents in their home in Beverly Hills in nineteen eighty nine and are serving life sentences should be resentenced, which would effectively allow for their release from prison. The CEO of United Healthcare is stepped down, and the largest health insurer in the US has suspended its financial outlook for twenty twenty five as medical costs rise. President Trump has arrived in the Middle East for a four day trip to Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and the United Arab Emirates. ABC's Karen Travers is traveling with the President. We're going to find out what's on tap, who he's meeting with, and what he hopes to accomplish during this trip. Something very sweet is coming to the Ventura County Fairgrounds. We're going to tell you all about that at the bottom of the hour, right about five thirty five. We'll also be talking about the tariff deal between China and the US, what that means for you, and trading in your used car may be easier but is it the best choice for you financially? The host of How to Money on KFI, Joel Larsgard, is going to tell us all about that, coming up at about five point fifty at six so five. Of course, mister Handel's handle on the news lots of good stories about today's big topics. Let's get started now with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The start of the resentencing hearing for the Menendez brothers is just hours away.
Speaker 2: Hearing is expected to last a couple days, stretching into tomorrow. Because Eric and lyleman Indez were under the age of twenty six when they murdered their parents in nineteen eighty nine, they.
Speaker 1: Could be released.
Speaker 2: They were sentenced to life without parole, but if the resentencing grants parole as an option, they would be immediately eligible. The La County DA's office opposes resentencing. DA Nathan Hawkman says the brothers haven't accepted full responsibility for their actions. Their legal team says they've been modeled prisoners for more than three decades and deserved to get out. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: A police chase has ended with a fiery crash in LA's Lamert Park area, leaving a woman in critical condition and injuring four others, including a twelve year old boy. The chase ended on Crenshaw Boulevard last night, just south of Vernon Avenue. Two people had to be rescued from one of the cars. The suspected dui driver police were after got away. News brought to you by Sit and Sleep. A man with a knife has been shot by police at an apartment complex in Tarzana. This guy says he heard the commotion last night, but oh ing off the window and everything else. Well, and I heard some I'll say, somebody got shot, but I don't know who did it because it was dark, you know what I'm saying. So they ran and the guy got shot in the back of my window. Police had been called about an assault with a deadly weapon. The said the guy was possibly suffering from mental illness. He said to be yelling while armed with a knife and a frying pan. Officers found the man and the shooting happened a short time later. The man was said to being critical condition. Movie industry unions in Hollywood have added their names to a letter sent to President Trump in support of various tax measures intended to stave off runaway production and strengthen the American film industry. The letters is more than eighty countries currently offer tax incentives, and as a result, a bunch of productions that could have been shot in the US have been located in other areas. It says returning more production to the United States will require a national approach. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Karen Travers, the World Traveler. Greetings to you in Saudi Arabia.
Speaker 3: Greetings back to you. We are many hours apart at this point, more than we usually are.
Speaker 1: What time is it where you are?
Speaker 3: That's a great question. Five ahead to do the math. I keep all my clocks on Eastern time, which drives my colleagues crazy, but I have to stay Eastern pact. So it is three pm in the afternoon here, okay.
Speaker 1: And you are traveling with President Trump, who's making his first overseas trip of this presidency. Just a quick question. Does the press pool travel with him to all the different places that he goes? We do?
Speaker 3: You know, there's a group, of course that's on Air Force one. This small group or the pool that travels with the president. Y' all can't fit on the plane with him, so we all travel ahead of him and then have to try to bounce around to catch up get ahead of him because of all these stops we're going to be making over the next three days. So we travel tomorrow so that he to Gohawk Hutter and then to the UAE Abu Dabi on Thursday and Friday for the final stop before the President heads back to DC Friday morning.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what's on the agenda for today?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Today, the President had a very lavish welcome ceremony by the Saudi Air Force One, escorted into the landing at the airport by Saudi military fighter jets. There's a twenty one gun salute as he walked down the steps of Air Force one to the tarmac. And he's done some ceremonial greetings already today, but also a lunch of business leaders from the region, some Americans there as well, And this is all about the economics, ties and cooperation the President's emphasizing on this visit. There are obviously significant political and security challenges here in the Middle East, but for the President, the big focus on his agenda is business development and trade agreements. He's already met with Saudi Crown Prince Muhammed bin Salman one on one and talked about how said he's has said that they will invest six terns of billion dollars in the United States over the next four years. The President once again has told him he wants to see that number at a trillion dollars. This is again the emphasis of the President is trying to say the US is open for business, we want you investing money in this country, and he will be giving remarks on that in about two hours or so, trying to talk about the significant ties he'd like to between the US and countries in this area.
Speaker 1: Okay, and Karen, you mentioned that they they've already announced that they're going to do some investments in the US. Did they say any kind of like what kinds of investments or was it just abroad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a good question. You know, this came up right after the President took office. The Saudi Crime Prince is one of his first phone calls after taking office, and they were very quick to say we're investing money six hundred billion dollars. The UAE's is one point four trillion over the next decade. But it's not cool what that's going to look like. So we'll see if we get details on this visit, if there's any more solid information about how they're going to invest that what the timeline is, because you know, a lot of promises can be made. President likes a hue of it, so it's music to his ears hearing these types of numbers thrown around. But again it's the details that need to be explained of what type of investment they'll be doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I was watching as I was getting ready for work. I was watching because they were doing that what you were talking about, the kind of the meet and greet with everybody, And I was astounded by the number of people that both President Trump and the Crown Prince were shaking hands with. I mean, it was like hundreds of people.
Speaker 3: It seemed like, yes, three hundred business leaders, executives. You know, we don't have a fullest of who is there, but quite an event. It took a long time for them to go through, like a receiving line of courts. The president then we was supposed to have lunch. Not sure how much he actually sat down in eight or if it was a lot of just chip chatting and meeting and greeting, and then now is sitting down one on one to shouty crown print.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's today, and then where did you say you're headed tomorrow?
Speaker 3: Doha? Cutter tomorrow President as well, and then Abby jabby Thursday. He'll have some events and as well on Friday morning before heading back to the US.
Speaker 1: Okay, and you mentioned Cutter. Is they going to formally present that plane that discussing?
Speaker 3: It doesn't sound like it, but it certainly will be a topic of conversation and something the President will continue to get asked about. Even the timing of that story the ABC News broke over the weekend and then him making the visit there tomorrow, but he's not bringing the plane dock with them.
Speaker 1: All right, it's not maybe not a done deal just yet. All right, ABC's Karen Travers, Safe travels, and we will look talk, look forward to talking to you again soon. All right. So she's three hours ahead. I think of where I was because we were wait, we were nine hours ahead three pm. I can't do the math we got back. I was so mixed up because you're we were eight hours ahead in London and then nine hours ahead in Paris, and then we got back at five o'clock, which was really three o'clock in the morning if we were still in Paris. It's uh, it was interesting. And yesterday is interesting because you end up being so jet lagged from all of this and you're like sitting there, going, I feel great, and two seconds later you're you feel like you have narcolopsi because you just got asleep, but better today. So that's great. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A hotel surveillance video has been shown to the jury, and a male stripper who says he was forced to have sex while Sean Colmes watched took the stand in the first day of testimony in Combs's sex trafficking trial in New York for prosecutors allege the rap mogul used his fame and power to sexually abuse women from two thousand and four all the way up to twenty twenty four. The defense told jurors the case is only about Coombe's private sex life. The woman in the video is expected to take the stand today. Comb's faces up to life in prison if he's convicted on all charges in another courtroom. Kim Kardashian has arrived at a courthouse in Paris. She'll be testifying against the men accused of robbing her at gunpoint in twenty sixteen. Most of them are in their sixties and seventies. Kardashian has said that she begged for her life as masked men bound her with zip ties and stole over six million dollars in jewelry. Authorities say the thieves, known as the Grandpa Robbers, tracked Kardashian using her Instagram posts. Pope Leo has made a plea to end world conflicts. ABC's James Longman says the pontiff wants the wars in Gaza in Ukraine to end and.
Speaker 2: The sign that Pope is serious about peace. He made a call to President Zelenski about the war in Ukraine. Zelensky called it a warm and substantive conversation.
Speaker 1: Leo told the media gathering in Rome he wants to see world peace. President Trump has signed an executive order to slash prescription drug prices, so basically, we'd pay what they pay in other countries. Drum says the US often pays as much as three times more than other developed nations for prescription drugs. Trump called the executive order one of the most consequential in the country's history. Health and Human Services Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Junior has gone viral for taking his grandkids swimming in a creek in Washington, d C. Kennedy says his group was taking a hike in Dumbarton Oaks Park on Mother's Day and they decided to stop and take a little dip in Rock Creek.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: The problem is, the National Park Service warns visitors to stay out of that creek because of elevated bacteria levels, and the city banned swimming there since nineteen seventy one. People looking to work in the fast food industry could be in luck this summer.
Speaker 4: McDonald says we'll hire up to three hundred seventy five thousand restaurant employees in the US as part of its biggest hiring push in years. It says job openings are partly due to the company expanding in the US. The company has more than thirteen thousand, five hundred restaurants and plans to open nine hundred more in the US by twenty twenty seven. The National Restaurant Association says restaurants and bars added more than forty six thousand jobs in March and April. Deborah Mark KFFI News.
Speaker 1: The last American hostage held by Hamas has been reunited with his family after nearly six hundred days in captivity in Gaza, Israeli American Edon Alexander, who was raised in New Jersey, got his first hug since being freed from his mother at a hospital in Israel. Fifty eight remain in captivity. The car, once billed as the worst car in histories, making a comeback. A German professor is now the head of the Yugo brand. He says he plans to revive it and will have a drivable prototype ready to roll by twenty twenty seven. Our editor Carla had one. The car was made in Yugosavia. It was considered one of the worst cars ever due to its poor quality, low reliability, apparently it broke down a lot, and questionable safety standards. It died out nearly twenty years ago. Tonight, the Dodgers are back in La to take on the athletics, with the first pitch going out at seven o'clock. You can listen to all the Dodgers games on AM five seventy LA Sports live from the Gallpin Motors Broadcast Booth, and you can stream all Dodgers games all season long NHD on the iHeartRadio app keyword AM five seventy LA Sports and if I'm not mistaken, tonight is Mookie Bets Bobblehead Night bonus if you're going to the game. A software failure has been blamed for a false wildfire evacuation alert. There was sent out to millions of La County residents cell phone. I know, I got the root, I got the alert. The warning was only supposed to go out to people living near a fire in Woodland Hills in January, but it was sent out to nearly everyone with a smartphone in La County instead. Homeland Securities ordered California to turn over information about a federal money that may have gone to illegal immigrants. The money comes from a program that helps older, blind, or disabled people who are not US citizens. Leaders at the Ports of La and Long Beach have welcomed to ninety day pause and tariffs between the US and China. The US plans to drop tariffs on Chinese goods from one hundred and forty five to thirty percent. China says it's going to cut its rate on US imports to ten percent. Port officials called it a positive step, but are warning uncertainty still hangs over trade, jobs and consumer options. At six oh five, it's handle on the news. The last remaining American held hostage by Hamas has been released and has reunited with his family. Bill's going to be talking about that right now. Ah. I did not hear Loveyon Rose once while I was in Paris, not once. So first I want to say thanks to Heather Brooker, who filled in did an amazing job while I was gone. I always left to have Heather filling in. So this was my first trip to Paris ever, and it's the first trip that I had taken a real one. I mean I've gone up to see my mom and gone to Vegas and that kind of stuff, but my first real trip since before the pandemic. I mean it's been like six years and then anyway, so we saved up for a very long time and my best friend Amy and I went and had an amazing time. So we spent like five days in Paris and then three and a half days in London, and I was really looking forward to Paris and not as much London for some reason. But I will tell you London was fabulous. It was just so like picturesque, and we just happened to be there, both in Paris and in London during the ve celebrations. And it doesn't get a lot of play here. Yeah, but it's the victory in Europe day huge. The celebrations in England went on for days, so we kind of missed those. We got out there on the tail end of them. But on May seventh they had fireworks in Paris and people riding down the streets obviously partying very heavily, and just it was so cool. It was such a festive, fun atmosphere. So that was great. So here are a few of the takeaways the travel. I know a lot of people are hesitant to travel because it's kind of a pain. We had such a great experience, like everything just kind of went with clockwork. I don't think we had any delays. We got through, you know, getting getting checked in with TSA, We didn't have any problems with customs. Customs was a breeze in both London and in Paris Easy Easy and the hotels, so I know, that there are a range of hotels, but my recommendation is going to be that you splurge a bit on hotels in Paris. We got this room at a Vaud de Sicil, which means King of Sicily by the way. Fabulous little hotel because we did tons of research and like looking for the best ones and the best prices, and we went back and forth and we found this one and it was like the coolest place ever. So we're up on the fifth floor. We have a balcony that you have to step out onto like a window. You don't just walk out, you have to step up and out onto the balcony and overlooks this whole street and all the buildings are beautiful and it was a great place for us to come back to after you're out running around and walking a lot. It was just fabulous. So I would say my recommendation is invest do a lot of research and invest a little bit more in the hotel because if you're there for like five days, you're going to spend some time there too. Because there was one night we went, let's just go get some food and bring it back to the room because we were exhausted. We've been walking everywhere. The metro train system is amazing and it makes me so sad when I think about our metro system. It's so efficient, and even in French when you can't read anything, we were able to get around, didn't get lost in London. We got on the wrong train once, but we still got to where we needed to go. And then also also something that makes me a little sad is high speed trains. We took a high speed train from Paris to Bordeaux because it's the wine region, and well wine for me and my friend Amy, I'll talk, so yeah, And so it took two hours to go I think six and six hundred miles or something crazy. And it was so fun because you see the countryside and then I think of our train to nowhere that's coming. That's not going to go from Paris to Bordeaux. It's going to go from Madera to Fresno or something stupid, and I was just like, but I was like, maybe the people in the US should go talk to the people overseas because they seem to have it. And then we also took the high speed train from Paris to London. So we went through the tunnel, you went through the tunnel, which is not a big deal. It's just a tunnel, so you don't see anything. Although there was a guy on the Bordeaux planet or train he goes, oh, you're going on the chunnel and he said you will get to see the fish and everything as you go by. And I said, really, it's a glass tunnel and then they laughed at me because no, it's not. It's a tunnel. The cafes were fabulous. We would just like you were walking. They were everywhere. So I love that. Like again, we see more of those sidewalk cafes kind of here. But the difference is in France, you'll go sit down, they'll bring you whatever you want and they never bring your check until you ask for it. They're like, yeah, stay as long as you want, and they don't care. You can have a glass of wine, you can have a glass of cappuccino, you can have a full meal and there's no pressure and you ask for the check, which again is totally different from here, where they just kind of just feels like they're trying to turn you over a lot. Yeah, so that was another difference, the walking everybody there was nobody over wait. In France, maybe one or two people. I mean, it was amazing because everybody's walking everywhere, and we tracked our steps. We walked like seventy miles in a period of it. We're like, oh my god, twenty thousand steps today, sixteen thousand steps. I mean, you do you walk everywhere? Well, it's all that bread and cheese. You gotta work it off. Well when we did, we did the baguettes and we did the cheese, and that was amazing. And the people whoever tells you that the people of France are rude are wrong. Yeah, they were so wonderful, so great and friendly and charming, and like, as long as you make a little bit of an effort, you say bonjeoor when you see somebody, when you walk into a store, you always say hello, and when you leave you always say thank you and say goodbye. And as long as you do that, I think that they are more friendly. And then I tried my best to speak French, which I do not do well, and they'd go, ah, chapelle francais, which means do you speak French? And I'd go umpaha, which means a little puff. And then I would try and then they would laugh at me. And then we'd kind of all have a laugh, but then the waiters would come over and go, oh, here's how to say left and here's how to say right. So the people were super fun and friendly. I think if you are friendly and you don't go over, I think Americans have a bad reputation because I saw a few who were going over and looking like Jerko Americans. I was like, stop it, you know, because they'll be friendly if you're friendly. So again, it was absolutely, absolutely amazing. And we did see the Mona Lisas. So my my, oh wait, I get to play my Mona Lisa clip oh elsa Mona Lisa. So my fabricated memory of seeing the Mona Lisa is no longer fabricated. I actually have seen it. So the other thing that you're supposed to see at the Louver, according to my friend Amy, was the statue of David. It's not, oh, I said, the statue of David is not in France. It's it's in Italy somewhere. So she had a fabricated memory of seeing the statue of David. It's actually the Venus de Milo that's at the loof.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, sure we knew that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was like, I didn't feel so bad then, but again it was so, so, so amazing. I could go on about it for a long time. I've gone long enough, and thank you for indulging me and listening. But seriously, if you're thinking about a trip overseas, save up your money and go do it, because it's just so cool to see other places, and also, you know, part of it makes you appreciate here, but it also is a fun kind of comparison and Paris. It's everything that everybody said it was. It's just a fabulous, fabulous place. And again, not once did I hear Levion Rose. I was waiting, waiting, all right. Voters in LA have a more unfavorable opinion of Mayor Karen Bass than they did before she was elected in twenty twenty two at UC Berkeley Pole shows fifty percent had a positive view of the mayor before she got into office, but now fifty percent have a negative view of Bass. French movie star Gerard de Pardeaux has been found guilty of sexually assaulting two women on the set of his movie Les Volvere in twenty twenty one, and was an eighteen month suspended prison sentence. He was also fined and the court has requested he'd be registered in the National Sex Offender Database. Ariana Grande and Cynthia Arrivo will be performing songs from Wicked for a live NBC special this fall. They'll be taking the stage at the Peacock Theater in La ahead of the release of Wicked for Good, which hits theaters on November twenty first, at six o five. It is handle on the news. President Trump has signed another executive order. This one is gonna cut the cost of prescription drugs. Will it really handles? Going to weigh in? Let's say good morning now too. Strawberry farmer Glenn Hasegawa.
Speaker 5: Good morning, Glenn, Good morning.
Speaker 1: We are thrilled to talk to you because there's something very sweet coming to the Ventura County Fairgrounds.
Speaker 5: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 3: We have the.
Speaker 5: Twenty twenty five California Strawberry Festival. Tell us a little bit vent grounds and it's basically right on the beach.
Speaker 1: So oh, it's on the beach or next.
Speaker 3: To the beach.
Speaker 5: Yeh, the great location.
Speaker 1: I love this. So for somebody who has not been to the California Strawberry Festival, I know we drove out there last year and visited and got to do a little tasting, which was delicious. But if somebody hasn't been to the Strawberry Festival before, what can they expect?
Speaker 5: Pretty much everything strawberries, Yeah, all kinds of strawberry related foods, lots of attractions for the kids, and lots of strawberry related displays. Just pretty much everything to do with strawberries.
Speaker 1: Okay. But it's not just strawberries. You have like arts and craft venders and stuff too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there are some mars and crafts venders also, and a lot of different types of foods.
Speaker 1: Okay, and there's carnival rides.
Speaker 3: Am.
Speaker 1: It's that's a whole festival, So it's fun for the whole family exactly.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a great family related festival.
Speaker 1: Okay. And then Glenn tell us because we have this strawberry festival, and that's because strawberries are a big deal in California. Like how many strawberries are grown in California's year? Like, what's what's the crop worth? Wow?
Speaker 5: As far as Ventura County goes, it's the Actually it's the biggest crop grown in Ventura County. I think there's almost seven hundred million dollars worth of strawberries and it's in Venture County alone. And yeah, so I like to think that Venture County is not the largest grown strawberry grown area, but I think we have the best strawberry too.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Glenn, you're you're an actual grower of strawberries.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, actually I'm a third generation strawberry grower. My grandfather was a grower, my father and now I'm also doing it.
Speaker 1: I love that. And what makes Ventura County so great for growing strawberries.
Speaker 5: We just have a combination of great weather, really good soil. Strawberries really like moderate temperatures. They don't like it too cold and they don't like it too hot. And with ventur County being so close to the ocean, the ocean really moderates the temperature. So strawberries love it, love it.
Speaker 1: Okay, So when is the Strawberry Festival, because it's coming up this weekend right exactly.
Speaker 5: It's this weekend, Saturday and Sunday.
Speaker 1: Okay, And it's at the Venture County Fairgrounds. I know that when we talked last year, there was limited parking on site. So where do people go to find out information on where's best to park and how to get to the festival.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's there's, there's many. They have shuttle set us shuttle service set up and they can go to www. Kyle c a Strawberry Festival dot org.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: And you can also get the tickets there or at the gate.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you can purchase tickets there both at the gate and also it's online.
Speaker 1: Okay. And most importantly, can I buy strawberries and take them home with me?
Speaker 5: Oh? Yeah, we'll be there. There's there's three of us growers, and we're gonna have plenty of strawberries for everybody. The heat that we had last week really kicked up the crop for us, and they're really tastes good right now, so there definite will be plenty of strawberries to buy there. I love that.
Speaker 1: Okay. It's a thirty ninth annual California Strawberry Festival happening this Saturday and Sunday at the Ventura County Fairgrounds. Glenn Hasagawa, thank you so much. I hope you have a super successful strawberry festival.
Speaker 5: Correct. We hope to see everybody there.
Speaker 1: All right, thanks, Time to get in your business now with Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho. Courtney good morning, welcome back a great vacation. Y oh yes I did. Sure, we need you.
Speaker 6: Now I'm bringing back my grade school French for you.
Speaker 1: Well, I had grade school French, and I tried to pass it off for actual French, except what was high school French? But it was the same thing. I got a lot of French people who were very sweet and kind and laughed at me a lot. Oh exactly, but I try the here. Okay, So let's talk about some business, Courtney. A movie theater chain is actually I'm gonna like this slashing ticket prices, especially for you, who is such a big movie buff.
Speaker 6: You'll be able to see the big screen for a much smaller price this summer. And this report is sponsored by Total Wine and More. AMC is cutting the price of a movie ticket in half on Wednesdays. Guess who's going on Wednesday to the movies. So the largest movie chain they're going to begin rolling out the discounts starting July ninth. But there has been a steady declineing movie going over the past two decades because of the rise in streaming. The number of tickets sold has dropped fifty percent since two thousand and two.
Speaker 1: Can you believe that pool I can because you can stream so much, and even if unless it's like a big blockbuster, like I'll wait it out and I'll wait for it to hit the stream and just watch it on my semi big screen at home.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I'm a big person for sitting on my own couch and not around other people.
Speaker 1: All right, So that's coming up this summer. That's good news, so market because it is fun to see a movie in the actual theater. If you're looking for a job, maybe not a high level job, but if you're looking for a job. McDonald's on a hiring spree.
Speaker 6: Yes, So they're setting out to hire as many as three hundred and seventy five thousand workers all across the US this summer. So they want to onboard more employees as the weather warms up, more people going out to get their fast food.
Speaker 1: But also the chain has been expanding.
Speaker 6: McDonald's is halfway through a four year plan to open nine hundred new locations. McDonald's estimates listen to this one, about one in eight Americans have worked for the chain at some point in their lives.
Speaker 1: I didn't work for McDonald's. I worked for Wendy's. I work for Staples. Yeah, I worked in the copy center of Staples, but it was right next to a KFC. Oh okay, I was going to say, if you worked at Staples, I had much better food during my breaks. Oh man, very very true.
Speaker 6: But yeah, I used to run over though to KFC. But I one day I'll tell you some of the good stories from that job. Okay, they were quite entertaining.
Speaker 1: I love that. Okay, you're speaking of hiring. This is a more highly skilled position that you're talking about. But hiring for air traffic controllers highlighted by some of the issues we're having, like the outage to Newark Airport and how stressful that is. Is that why it's so hard to get those positions filled.
Speaker 6: So the problem is not everybody suited for the job. So first of all, you have to be a US citizen. You have to be younger than thirty one years old and physically fit. So you have to be younger than thirty one to start out as an air traffic controller. But you have to keep in mind the job can pay well into the six figures without a college degree, But the FAA says less than ten percent of applicants are accepted into the agency's training program, and a third of those students don't actually make it out. They don't make the final cut, and they need a pipeline the FAA because of all the constant turnover, because of all the stress, there's a lot of burnout, and there is a mandatory retirement age of fifty six. But the US is facing a shortage of three thousand controllers.
Speaker 1: Mmmm, that is no good, okay. And then real quick before we let you go, Oh, Wall Street had a really nice day yesterday. What are we looking because then that was after President Trump announced the and China said, you know what, We're going to put a hold on these tariffs for the next ninety days. What are we looking forward today? Yeah, so the dowsearch and sixty one points.
Speaker 6: Now this morning, we just got a report moments ago on inflation and consumer prices rose less than forecast in April of two point three percent from last year. But this shows that the immediate passed through of the tariffs was quite modest. But it could be a little premature to see the full impact of tariffs yet so. And by the way, despite the big dropping oil prices, energy index was still higher, mostly due to costs for natural gas and electricity. So right now, SMP futures, they're a little change. They were slightly higher just moments ago. DOW futures are down one hundred and eighty four points, all right, getting.
Speaker 1: In your business every day with Bloomberg's Courtney Donahoe. Thanks Courtney. I'll talk to you tomorrow. So glad to have you back. Oh, thank you so much. The rapper who shot Megan these Stallion and the foot five years ago and is serving a ten year prison sentence has been stabbed in prison. TMZ says Tory Lanes was stabbed fourteen times in the yard yesterday morning at the California Correctional Institute in Tahatchepee. He is expected to survive. Southern California Gas Company says it's rolling out a faster way to help victims of the Eaton and Palisades fires reconnect to natural gas. The utility says it is prioritizing service or customers rebuilding after the fires. They can get more details. Customers can get more details at socwgas dot com slash rebuild. Governor Newsom is called on cities and counties around the state too clear homeless camps. The government says or the governor rather says he wants every local government to adopt and implement policies without delay. Of course, we're just minutes away from a handle on the news this morning. The whole gang back together, and Bill's going to have lots of great insight for you. Let's say good morning though, to the host of How to Money on KFI. It's Joel Larscard. Morning, Joel morning, Amy. Are you going to yell let me for spending too much on a hotel room?
Speaker 7: No judgment here? Oh, come on, you know what, as long as you're not like sticking it on like can't if you can't pay the credit card balance off, we need to talk. But I hope that you have enough money in the bank to pay for that expensive hotel.
Speaker 1: I do, I do, yeah, see, but I've been saving for a long time for it.
Speaker 7: Also, the moralizing and the talking down on people who don't do it the way I would do it, That's not what I'm about either.
Speaker 1: Okay, then I don't feel bad, but we did. We did just decide to kind of throw caution to the wind on this more. And I think it's because we hadn't traveled in so long we're just like, let's not worry about it now. But and like you said, knowing that the money is there, we're going to be able to pay off the credit cards is just you know.
Speaker 7: And you know, if you've listened to my show at all, you know I talk about something called the craft beer equivalent and what that means. I like craft beer, and some people think I'm insane for spending twenty five bucks on a four pack or twenty two bucks on a single bottle of awesome beer. But if you carve the things out in your budget on purpose, it makes it easier to roll back the spending on a whole bunch of other line items in your budget. It makes it easier to say, well, yeah, I'll go with the discount cell phone provider, because guess what it means, I've got more money to funnel into the things I care about the most. And so budgeting and getting good with your money, it's not all about deprivation to the max. Really, It's about funneling money into the areas the matter of the most to you. So if that's an expensive hotel on a super fun, rare vacation, then go for it.
Speaker 1: Okay, I did, all right, so let's talk about how you can maybe make more money, or when you come when it comes to trading in your car, because there are lots of places now that make it very easy for you to trade in your car.
Speaker 7: Yeah, the name of the game I feel like when it comes to consumer marketing these days, is we're going to make it easy on you, but that's going to come with a cost. So, whether that's like delivery from grub hub, so it's going to be super simple, you don't even have to get out of your pjs, we'll knock on your door and hand it over to you, but it's going to come with a feet And the same is true if you're trying to sell your car, and so it used to be that there you had to maybe take it to a dealership, whether it was like a big one or a small local one to sell your car, and yeah, they were gonna make it kind of easy. But the carvanas of this world now, they get your quote online, they'll come to you, they'll pick your car up, they'll hand you a check, and they're sending emails to basically anyone who's ever done business with them, and they're saying, hey, why don't you sell us your car again pitching that will make it super simple. But the problem is when you sell your car. I have no beef with Carvana, and in fact, I think for some people it might be a good place to buy a car and but potentially a good place to sell. But you have to think twice, and you have to do some digging because the quote you get for your car from a company like Carvana, or from a company like CarMax, which is another good company I've got no beef with it just might be substantially lower than what you could get putting in just a little bit of legwork and selling it yourself.
Speaker 1: So can you haggle with those companies at all? Or is it just this is what we're offering, take it.
Speaker 3: Or leave it? Yeah?
Speaker 7: Typically not. Typically it's a this is this what we're offering, take it or leave it. And again they do try to make it super simple and super easy. But the best estimates I can find are that you're going to get paid fifteen to twenty percent less than what you would otherwise get. So you know, if you're selling a fifteen thousand dollars car, well, carbon I might say we'll give you eleven to five and so we'll make it super simple, like no headache, no hassle. But if you were to instead go through a little bit of hassle and post it on let's say Facebook, marketplace or on a site like auto trader finding you know, local people who might be interested, And man, I miss this. I mean I always try to buy from private individuals and then do my due diligence when I'm buying, which means getting that car checked out by a mechanic that I trust, because I just that's how I feel like I'm going to get the best car for me. Although I will say CarMax and Carvana, and they both come with like better guarantees these days, I believe with Carvana it's seven days and with Carmacks it's like thirty days. You can take it back if there's an issue with it, which is which is really nice. But when it comes to selling the car again, I'm a big fan of, you know, taking it to the taking it to the car wash, cleaning it inside and out, taking some solid pictures, and then posting it. And truly that could make the difference of thousands of dollars in your pocket or in the pockets of Carvana because they're going to make the spread when they mark it up and sell it to somebody else.
Speaker 1: All right, okay, so just be careful, and there is that cost of convenience. The Chinese tariffs wanted to touch base with you on this yesterday. They said, you know what, we're putting these on pause for a while, and they're going from one hundred and forty five percent to thirty percent for China and then down to like ten percent for the US.
Speaker 7: Right, yeah, yeah, So, which is a far cry from the one hundred and forty five percent that it was and the one hundred and twenty five percent that China was going to charge on American goods going into China. And so I will say, like, if I have like two pom poms in my hand, I'm partially putting one up in the air and waving it mildly, because this is.
Speaker 2: A tariff pause.
Speaker 7: It's ninety days of tariff pause. And the truth is, if you really even just read a basic economics textbook, what we know about tariffs is that they're bad. They harm free trade, They're going to cost consumers more money. And so I would love to see tariffs roll back completely and to see and maybe maybe that's ultimately what's going to happen at the end of the day, because this is again a partial truce, a rollback for ninety days, and this is certainly good for businesses. The markets were up, they were very excited about this announcement. But where do things go from here? And can we find some sort of solid landing place with China when it comes to a tariff rollback and a free trade agreement that benefits all part aarad ease and that benefits American businesses. That remains to be seen because right now it's been like threats of insane tariffs and then hey, no, we're going to pause. And yet finding some real sticking, long ground sticking place that's been harder to come by, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Because the uncertainty is still there. Since it's not like, hey, we have a final deal. It's we're pushing this down so we can see if we can come to a deal. But the deals are sticky. It's not just an easy like I'll do this and you do that and let's call it a day, you know, I.
Speaker 7: Mean, yeah, I mean the market rally yesterday was partly, I think about the belief that they think that Trump is rethinking tariff policy altogether. Not necessarily that thirty percent lasting tariffs on Chinese goods coming to the United States is a great thing that should be celebrated, but it's saying maybe maybe the president's wising up and realizing that tariffs aren't as good of a policy as he thought. And so yeah, that's like a fingers cross sort of situation though, because where does this land. It's anybody's guess.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, we'll be watching and we'll have you to weigh in and help you guide us through it. And if you want more great guidance on your financial situation and your future, you can listen to how to Money Sundays noon to two right here on KFI with Joel Larsgard. Also you can follow Joel and get some great money tips how to Money Joel, Thank you, Joel Larscard.
Speaker 7: Thanks Amy.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll talk to you soon. This is KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County, live from the KFI twenty four hour news room for producer and and technical producer Cono along with traffic specialist Will I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call and if you missed any wake Up Call. You can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app