Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think when we.
Speaker 1: Are get off our show, idiots.
Speaker 2: The kids are crying or trail off crying.
Speaker 1: The countries are screwing it up. Gold Play Inner Murals, Brother, gold Play Inner Murals.
Speaker 3: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not. Who's the kid here? Who's the kid here? Are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: Now? Here's nick coffee. I've been gassing up the weather over these last last few days because it has been warmer. Even yesterday, when it was gloomy and kind of nasty, it was at least warm and not you know, five degrees outside like we had last week. But today, my goodness, what an absolutely beautiful day. It's sixty or fifty nine depending. I think my car said fifty nine, phone says sixty degrees. Whatever it is, it feels great. And that's actually not that warm. But in January, in fact, the last day of January, and really how brutal January was with weather, I'll take it. I will take it all right. It's coffee and Company. We are fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven to ninety Nick Coffee, that is me, and we are wrapping up not only a week, another week here to get you set for the weekend. Happy Friday, everybody. We're also ending the month of January January thirty first, And I feel like I've heard this over the years, but I've never really I've never really been on the same page. I've never argued about it. But I feel like in my adult life there's always been at least somebody that I work with that I know, maybe a family member that has gone out of their way to say, man, I cannot believe how long January lasted. It felt like it lasted forever, and there are thirty one days, so it is a long month. But this is the first time I can I can tell you that when I reflect on the month and look back, things that happened, like even in the middle of the month, I swear to you, they feel like happened six months ago. And look, it was a good month. I mean, let's be real. When it comes to Louisville basketball, is it an exaggeration? Is it a stretch to say that it might be one of the best months the program has had as far as just you know, the vibe, the energy. I mean, let's be real, going, you know, going undefeated in January is good regardless. And yes, the ACC has not given you a whole lot of real, big, valuable wins in this month that Louisville's been able to just run through it without a loss, But given the circumstances, given the recent history, I mean, that has not impacted how much I've been able to enjoy it. So it's it's the end of January, and I you know, it did seem like it lasted forever, and we had some some weird weeks with weather getting in the way and whatnot. But I'll take it. I will absolutely take it.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: If you guys want to be part of the show today, you can five O two five five two five seven one seventy nine. Let me start over again. I'll get you my phone number. Rhythm was really out of out of it. There no rhythm at all. I don't know what happened. I'm looking up, uh, I'm looking up the kin palm because and I'll get back on track in just a second. But let me give you an example. When Louisville played Syracuse in basketball that was on the fourteenth of January. That was just a couple of weeks ago. That feels like it was. I mean, I tell you what, it feels like it was six months ago. But anyways, that's where I just kind of randomly asked myself a question in my head and then sometimes I end up blurting it out on the air, and then I just I for lack of being able to focus, I suppose I just can't help myself. I gotta go, you know, I gotta go figure out what what date, what number, what stat what fact? I just kind of couldn't couldn't quite grasp. But anyways, phone number rhythm, right, you give the area code. I mean it's uh uh no, no, no, no, no. There's actually a really good Seinfeld bid on it. And I think also Kevin James King of Queen's has a good bit, uh just talking about phone number rhythm. Like if you try to give somebody a phone number without following the five oh two, five to seven to one seventy nine hundred, I mean, they're going to think you're giving them like the combination for a lock or something like imagine saying phone number here is five oh two. All right, let's just start with this. Let's it's it's five uh two five seven to one nine zero zero zero. I'm not even sure if I said that correctly, but like again, rhythm is key when it comes to the number. So if you want to call us five oh two, five seven one seventy nine hundred, that is the number. And if you want a text in on the Llen and Federal Credit Union text line, you can five O two six five three zero seven ninety. And I'm at I am looking forward to this weekend. But I do have a little bit of fomo. And trust me, this is not a complaint. At times, I really don't do myself any favors because for years I was I was labeled by many and I understood why, but I was labeled as the negative guy because you know, I just I can't sit here and tell you that it's you know, that it's something that it's not right this, first of all, wouldn't be good at it, and it wouldn't be fun and it would not be genuine. So having to talk about the previous few seasons and just be honest about it and do it really every day for two years and it didn't lead. I mean, it wasn't something we talked about every second of every show. But obviously I don't see a scenario where anybody with a platform like this, a drivetime sports talk radio show in a market here in Louisville, where we're not talking louisvill basketball. But obviously there wasn't good things to talk about really in any way, So I'm not I want to be more mindful on my end. I need to be when it comes to just, you know, throwing out these random complaints because it's not like I'm trying to be negative, and I'm really not bothered by anything when it comes to Louisville basketball right now. I'm excited to see them go on the road tomorrow and take on Georgia Tech and hopefully extend their wind streak to eleven. But man, you've got some absolutely monster matchups in college basketball this weekend. I don't know if this was strategic, but I kind of feel like it was because I feel like, well, this weekend, I believe is actually as good as we've had in a long time when it comes to just big time matchups. But usually this weekend the weekend before the Super Bowl, which by the way, this is the first weekend I believe in. I mean, this has got to be the first weekend since before we got our first college football game that we've had a weekend with no football. And yes, the Pro Bowl will do what the Pro Bowl does. I still don't know why that event exists. I mean I do know why. I mean it's quite literally just for money, meaning we make fun of it. It is a waste of time. I mean, really, all professional all star games, I mean, in my opinion, like they don't do much for me at all. They don't interest me in any way, but they interest enough people to where when they put it on television, a lot of people still watch, even though they know it's not a real game. It probably won't give you the entertainment value that you're expecting. When people are willing to tune in at a high high rate, advertisers are going to sell advertisements and it's going to be a money maker. It's like these Bowl games that people want to get rid of. No Bowl games are going to stick around because, believe it or not, as much as it just seems like a waste of time, glorified exhibition, people still watch and there's still money that can be made, so the Pro Bowl will never go away. But I mean, I wouldn't call it a football game. In fact, it's not that right. I honestly should admit this to you as somebody who you know hosts a sports talk show. I'm not even really sure what the Pro Bowl is anymore. I know they have an event players go, and they do like skills competitions, but I feel like they haven't actually had a game in a while. But I could totally be wrong. So this is a good window for college basketball to kind of step in with a loaded weekend of games and just kind of say, hey, super Bowls next week. We know it's a big deal, but once that ends, come and check us out because we've got you know, we've got some good stuff going here. College basketball will never get the viewership that college football and the NFL gets, and that's okay, But I'm always a big advocate for college hoops. I wish more people enjoyed it. And then I get, you know, I look at people like they're crazy. How could you not love college basketball? How could you not be romantic about this sport? But you know, it's an acquired taste and it's not as if it's got the following you know of some obscure sport, but it just it's kind of in its own lane, right Like it's it's very very much not in competition with college football or the NFL for that matter. But there are certain games that'll that'll do better than you might expect going up against I don't know, maybe an NBA game or something like that. So when I said I I was a little bummed. Is that I just wish Louisville's game was featured as one of these big time matchups. But even if Louisville was a top five team, which they're not, the ACC is not given any of the good teams in the ACC, which there aren't many. I mean, Louisville will not play a team the rest of the way that's going to really give them any value when it comes to the resume. And I don't bring it up to say that, but listen to these matchups this weekend in college hoops, North Carolina at Duke. Obviously, that's one of the biggest games you'll get every year in college hoops. That tips off at six thirty. Of course, College game Day going to be there at Duke. Duke is I believe I checked it out. There were only a few spreads available earlier today when I was looking for tomorrow's action, and this one was one of them. Yeah, actually I think it's gone up. I think it was minus eleven and a half. Maybe I'm wrong here. Actually, yeah, that was Kentucky. So Duke is thirteen and a half point favorites. By the way, Kentucky eleven and a half point favorites against Arkansas. But anyways, looking at the rest of these games, you've got Florida and Tennessee. That's number five vers Number eight. That should be an absolute phenomenal game. And Florida they're clearly one of the best teams in the country. They're off to a really good start. I believe they have now surpassed the I think they're currently in the midst of their best start in program history. And again, this is a program that not that long ago one well, I guess it was a long time ago. That makes me feel old. I was say when that long ago? It's nearly twenty years. But they did win two consecutive national championships, and they're off to a better start than they've ever had, so their first loss, though, did come. I'm sorry, No, Tennessee's first loss came against Florida. So now Florida is making the trip to Knoxville, where this Tennessee team, a team that I still believe is really good. I'm not going to do the thing where well, Kentucky beat them in Knoxville, so now I'm gonna act like they're not that good. Trust me, no, because I mean, we saw what Tennessee did to Louisville earlier this year, and I know Louisville wasn't isn't the same team now as they were then, But either way, Tennessee is due for a win in a major way. This is one of those games where Florida is not a bad loss. But if you drop three in a row, you'll still be able to say all three losses were to top twenty teams, but you also slipped up and lost to Vanderbilt on the eighteenth. So a loss here would give Tennessee four out of five losses. No bad losses, still a great resume when it comes to the metrics, But I would imagine that at that point they're clearly dropping seed lines right like they're they're probably looking more so like a three. If in fact they slip up here and if they win, you know, it kind of makes you look at their previous two losses all weron in Kentucky, and not to say that they don't matter, but I mean Kentucky right now is a good example of what the SEC can give you. And what it is is you can slip up and have games where you lose to a Georgia, lose to a Vandy on the road, and then you lose at home to a really good Alabama team in a close game. Well, you know you don't want to lose those games. And obviously Vandy is a quad one loss, but certainly you know it's it's not the same kind of loss as losing to an Alabama or even a Tennessee when you play them again. But when you're still when you're also mixing in a road win at Mississippi State, a home win at Texas A and M, a road win at Tennessee, a home win at Florida, you could kind of you kind of stay status quo, right. I mean, in fact, we'll get to the later. But the real stain on Kentucky's resume, I mean, it doesn't exist yet. But tomorrow, I mean Arkansas, that loss would hurt them really just because of the situation right because of the return from Caliperi. But it would also be the first time anybody would be able to say, well, Okay, they do have a bad loss, because right now they have no bad losses, not even really close. Ohio State probably not a tournament team or maybe borderline maybe they get there. I don't know, but they're still top twenty five in the NET so therefore a neutral site loss for Kentucky doesn't hurt them that much. So anyways, back to the schedule, this is a big game that I'm going to be interested to watch because I know I actually do go I go on my way to watch Big East games because I still think it's a good league and even though it's not the same Big East, and Louisville hasn't been in that league in a long time, I guess there's some nostalgia. But Marquette and Yukon, so Marquette probably, in fact, I would say they're easily the best team in the Big East right now. Shaka Smart's got himself a really good team, but elsewhere in the Big East. I mean, we talked about it earlier this week the Big East Good League. I mean, I think Rick's always going to have a dangerous team in March, and Saint John's has really put themselves in a good spot as of right now. At the end of January, I mean, they should be able to cruise to a top three finish in that league and certainly maybe find themselves as a top four seed. So, you know, Marquette is tied for first with Saint John's, but obviously Marquet's got a better resume. But Yukon, I mean, Danny Hurley, don't. I don't know what this says about Yukon, but if he was as big of a superstar and he is, Look, the guy has back to back national championships. Now, who knows, maybe he wins another one. It doesn't look like that's going to be likely at this point. But with their big drop this year where they're still clearly not they're so clearly not what they were the previous two seasons, and the way he's kind of behaved, I mean, I kind of feel like it would be a bigger story. Therefore, there's just something weird about you, and I guess maybe it's the fact that they aren't on ESPN anymore because the Big East has no relationship with the ESPN, or maybe it's because I mean, I don't know what it is. But Yukon has everything you would you would want, or everything you need to in order to claim your blue blood. I mean, they have more titles. And I'm thirty six years old. They've won more national championships in my time on Earth than anybody else, and they've done it in different eras. I mean, they went back to back, which is a rare thing. Like they are a They're absolutely a blue blood in every aspect, I would say, but it just doesn't feel like they get the same blue blood treatment. And I don't know what it is. But if Yukon falls, which they may, because again we're talking about a really good Marquette team, I mean they would. I mean they're already outside of the top twenty five. You know, they don't really have I guess any well, Yeah, their losses in the in the Maui Invitational don't look as good now as they did when they occurred. But they lost a nova non tournament team Xavier, who looks like they're on the outside looking in. They needed over time to beat a Butler team that's barely in the top one hundred. Close call against a bad Georgetown teams. So I kind of feel like these next two games for Dan Hurley, Marquette and Saint John's, that's who they play these next two games. I mean, if they lose both of them, yeah, it's not bad losses by any means, but like, what's your ceiling the rest of the way as far as what you can do on what you can get on as far as the seed. So again, that game will be at eight o'clock on Fox, and then of course Kentucky Arkansas. We all know what that game is and we'll get to that a little bit later on a nine o'clock tip on ESPN. And then another big game Kansas and Baylor. That game is at four o'clock. So other games that don't have I guess the same pizzazz as far as big brand names. But Texas Tech they're hot as can be. They're playing really good basketball, clearly one of the better teams in the Big Twelve. They're going to be on the road at Houston, and what do you know, Kelvin Sampson doing what Kelvin Sampson does wins conferences. I mean, Houston ended up making the move to the Big Twelve? Was it two years ago? I guess this is their second year, but last year, I mean, Houston is a team that who knows what they would have done had their best guard not got hurt in the tournament. But Houston enters the Big Twelve in a year that everybody claimed, this is the best conference we have ever seen, and then you know, the SEC happened this year, and I guess you can't claim that because I think the SEC this year is better. But nonetheless, Houston in their first year makes the jump from American Athletic Conference to the Big twelve and a year where that league as a monster and they win it, and sure enough, right now they're in the driver's seat. But this Texas Tech team, I'm telling you, it's North Texas's head coach, who well, he was North Texas head coach and then he took the job at Houston, I'm sorry, at Texas Tech. And he's one of those guys. I'm not going to compare him to Pat Kelsey because I just don't know enough about him to know if that's a good comparison or not. But he wins he was successful at North Texas and he has now taken his same formula up brought it to Lubbock. Grant McCasland and his team is sitting at sixteen four and expected to be one of the top teams in the Big Twelve. I wouldn't pick the upset here just because Houston is a really good team, but by the way, Houston up to number one in the Kenpom now, and then Auburn Ole miss That's another game in the afternoon that's a ranked matchup Missoo Mississippi State. That's the top twenty match up, and then some late night action that probably doesn't interest you unless you're just a big time college basketball fan. But Gonzaga will play at Saint Mary's. Gonzaga in a rare year where they're still going to make the tournament because they just load up in the non conference. But you know, they've lost more games in league play as of now than I feel like they ever have, and it's not many, but again, they usually run their league and they haven't been able to do it. But Saint Mary's also a team that has really kind of followed the same blueprint that Gonzaga has and that's we're going to load up and play as many great teams as we can before we get to conference play. We may take our lumps, and Saint Mary's did that early, but now they're playing really good basketball, and you know they're strategic about their scheduling, just like Gonzaga is. Where Hey, if we play all these really good teams in the non conference and we win a couple and maybe we're competitive in the others, and then we get to our league and we beat teams by thirty and forty, we'll still get to the end of the year with not a whole lot of impressive quad one and quad twos. But man, we beat up on the bums in our league, and the metrics still like us. I mean, it's quite clear which teams, you know, strategically know how mean they know how to use the system to their advantage. And then you've got teams out there like Wake Forest that are you know, using the system to a disadvantage in my opinion, which real quick, I want to want to mention this before we move on, because we got to get to a break and we are going to be joined coming up here on the other side. An early guest for us. But that's okay, it's all right. It's certainly a guest that we are excited to bring in we join. He's joined this season. Every week it's Ken Spencer from WHS eleven. He'll be with us around three thirty. But when it comes to just you know, strength to schedule, resume, that kind of stuff, this really doesn't matter in regards to anything this season. But anytime I start to think, Okay, maybe some of you guys are right, maybe I am a little too hard on the ACCY, I'm maybe I'm really extra here when it comes to just acknowledging and really being vocal about how is anybody else paying attention? This league went from being the elite of the elite to now it's bad. And I still believe that maybe I mentioned it more than I should. But then I see things like this and it's like, no, Nick, you're right, keep hammering it home, because there's got to be something done for this league to get out of the gutter. But the longest droughts in college basketball from the Power Conference teams right, we're talking Power five, right, the Power Four in football, and then the Big East in basketball. The ten teams with the longest drought being ranked in the top twenty five. Seven of the ten are in the ACC. I mean, think about that. I mean Stanford, Yes, they're in the ACC. They don't necessarily mean they count, but it feels weird. I get it, but Stanford hasn't been ranked since the the final poll of the two thousand and eight season. Boston College hasn't been ranked since two thousand and nine, Georgia Tech hasn't been ranked since twenty ten, same for wake Forest. Cal hasn't been ranked since twenty sixteen. SMU hasn't been ranked since twenty seventeen. And Notre Dame a program that was once legitimately a top dog to an extent, not necessarily cutting down nets or final fours, but like Notre Dame was a consistent top twenty five team for a long time, and then you know they weren't, and now they haven't been in seven years because they haven't been ranked since December of twenty eighteen. So I none you can do about it, But I guess more than anything, I just need to remind myself, Hey, not ideal, but it's been a benefit to Louisville, right, I mean, I'm willing to acknowledge they probably wouldn't have gone undefeated if the ACC, I mean undefeated in January, if the ACC looked like it did ten years ago. So that's a plus. All right, quick break, We'll keep this thing rolling along. It's Coffee and Company, a Friday edition. We are fueled by Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Coffee and Company with Nick Coffee on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: It's right, it's Coffee and Company. We are fueled by Thorton's here on Sports Talks seven ninety. You make sure you sign up to become a member of the Refreshing Awards program if you haven't already. You'll save money at the gas pump. You could take advantage of all the perks that come with it, like the Frequency Club, and they give away a lot of great, great prizes to their members throughout the year. For example, a couple of years ago, I think it was free fuel for an entire year for a handful of different winners. So that's just an example of why you should be signing up if you haven't already. All right. Ken Spencer from Whas eleven joins us here on a Sports Talk seven ninety. Let's just get right into it with Arkansas. I mean, Col's team clearly not in a good place, not looking like a tournament team at all. If you'd told me before the season started that he'd be in this position, I would have sitt, now, they won't be that bad. But now that we're actually here, I wouldn't have predicted it. But I can't say I'm totally surprised.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I probably agree with you. You know, for me, it all comes it all came down to and this was his last last few years in Kentucky. So everybody kind of wants to like point the finger at where like the slide really started. I think with John Caliperry at Kentucky, And if you ask me, I think the.
Speaker 3: Slide started it for during COVID.
Speaker 1: And I think that because he couldn't leave the house, because he couldn't, you know, go all over the country, flies, the recruiting, you know, everything that he does works like a man man because he couldn't do that for some odd reason. I just don't think his work ethic is the same as what it used to be. And I also don't think that he has surrounded himself with the proper staff that is willing to tell him you need to change and you need to do certain things. I think he's got a lot of people next to him that is just kind of along for the ride. Does that make sense? Oh?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, That was actually gonna be my next question as far as that, that seems to be something that everybody acknowledges, even those that are kind of maybe still maybe not close to him, but connected to him in some ways, that he just can't quite grasp that, like he needs better resources around him.
Speaker 1: Yes, And you know, and even when even when they were humming, like I've I sat because every now and again we would we would the media would be invited to go watch a practice or whatever. So I've probably sat through, like you know, like over the years, maybe like four or five practices. Right, Like he runs the whole thing like nobody else basically says too many words like he just controls, He just controls everything, and so and sometimes I think, like you have a staff for a reason, they needed to coach as well, and so.
Speaker 2: For the greater good of everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I just think that like you know, COVID, you know, he took the foot off the gas and man once the foot's off the gas, it's really hard to put it down to be the grinder that you really need to be to be able to see your faults.
Speaker 3: And that's why I think things.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, and and like, let's not they were pretty good last year and they've and they've had you know, good moments or whatever.
Speaker 3: But I don't know if they were as good as they should have been last year? Does that make sense?
Speaker 1: Even though I mean, you know, you take the Oakland loss out of the picture and stuff like that, like that was a that was a pretty good team last year. That was a pretty fun team with some of the pieces that they had, but they they probably should have been a little better.
Speaker 2: You know, I would not only I would not only agree. I think it was the It was the most obvious thing to even casual basketball. I mean, I guess you'd probably be a big Kentucky fan, but just somebody who knows basketball just a little bit could watch them play and tell you there's like certain lineup combinations, there's certain things you could do in your winning and you're good, but man, you could probably be a lot better, you know, if you had guys like Dillingham and Reeves and Shepherd on the floor at the same time. I mean it, you know, if you didn't want to play so many bigs together. And it sounds crazy to think, well, he knew that fans wanted that, and he's so stubborn, so he wouldn't do it. I mean that sounds like, of course nobody would do that. But then again, like I kind of feel like that's how he's wired and the way things were headed in the last few years of his time in Lexington. I kind of feel like the last thing he was going to do was was budge. He was going to be I mean almost kind of in your face that he's going to do what he wants to do, regardless what anybody else thinks.
Speaker 1: Everything I've heard about him is he's very stubborn and when he gets dug in, he stays dug in. And so yeah, I think you know he wants to do it. Oh you think I should do it this way, Well, then I'm going to do it this way, and I'm going to force myself to do it this way. You know what I mean, Because because I just want to tell you were wrong. I think you know, from from a lot of that from what I've heard. I think that's very much his mindset. And by the way, like when I was in those practices years and years ago, like like dude.
Speaker 3: Could coach like you know he was. He's a Hall of Famer for a reason.
Speaker 1: But sometimes like you just got to be able to still be the be the grinder and have that same mindset. And I just don't think that he has that. And that's not to say that they don't. They still at Arkansas don't have a talented team. I don't know if the piece is fit, but that's still a very talented team that they have.
Speaker 3: So could they could they could they get a couple of games that maybe they shouldn't get.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, yeah, I think what you just mentioned about him being a good coach, I mean there's no scenario that you can I mean, even if you are somebody that takes three teams to a Final four like he did and people claim, well, he didn't do any real strategic stuff. It's just getting players that still is included in being a good coach and getting those guys to to to to play hard for you. I mean there's some guys that have played for cal that they were not as disciplined and probably didn't, you know, really, I mean, he was able to get more out of them in the brief time he had them than anybody else did. I mean, I think DeMarcus Cousins, who was a phenomenal pro I mean, I feel like he was at his best when he was at Kentucky as far as some of the other stuff. So what I'm getting at is one of the things that maybe it's not a strategic thing as far as X's and O's, but it was consistent throughout his entire time in Lexington. Games like tomorrow, which this is a different element as far as him going back to a place where he just left, but big games like this where there's a lot of Jews, a lot of energy. I feel like ninety nine percent of the time, even if they didn't win, they came ready to play. Every team he had, gay teams that weren't good, would would find a way to come ready to play. And I don't think what I watched at Arkansas, what I've watched at Arkansas this year tells me that they're going to do that. But I guess it wouldn't surprise me if if they come ready to play and maybe play one of their better games of the season. However, even if they do that, I still think this Kentucky team has proven to be much better right well.
Speaker 1: And like everybody kind of needs to underst and when I say everybody, like both teams, like these Arkansas players are probably going to be more motivated for this game than any other game all year that they've played. And I'm not even talking about like everything, you know, like the whole team. But you don't think Dj Wagner, you don't think Adu Thierro, you don't think Big Z, you don't think Carter Knox, Billy Richmond, guys were that were committed to Kentucky but ended up going to Arkansas. Like, all of those guys are going to have a little something extra in the tank. And if you're Kentucky, then you better know that those guys are going to have a little something extra at the tank.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think this Kentucky team really games this year where it felt like, man, it just doesn't look great. They've come out and maybe not even played like the best game you could think of, but just they're not too high, not too low. I do think there's some similarities between louisll and Kentucky in that way that their leadership from their head coach kind of makes it to where you know, you're never again too high too low, and on the road in Knoxville with injuries didn't seem likely, they got it done. I mean, even the Gonzaga game when they were down a bunch and didn't have Butler, then they found a way to win. So, I mean, I just think the scenario where Mark Pope's guys come out and they look a little bit impacted by you know, I mean, in fact, the impact should be a benefit to them because there's gonna be so many fans they are rooting them on. But I just this Kentucky team has really really impressed me, really throughout the entire season. But Pope keeps winning games, and I shouldn't say that he's not supposed to win because they've proven they can beat anybody. They have one of the best resumes in the country when it comes to the teams that they've beat, and I've not really seen at any point any sign that they're maybe they're maybe not going to do that. I think the Vandy game, the way it played out, maybe it looked like, Okay, maybe they're going to go through a little bit of a slide here, but then they go to Knoxville and as of now, that's the most valuable win anybody has as far as the metrics in college basketball. So you know, I think Arkansas is gonna be ready to play. But I kind of feel like this mature Kentucky group, they've been battle tested enough and they trust their their game plan and their code, which I just I kind of think that as much as I, you know, would hope for it to be competitive game, because that's that's what you want when you when you're watching a game like this, I just I expect Kentucky to take care of business.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I expect them. I expect them to win because while there are zero people that on that team, it's you know, outside of maybe like a walk on or two that played for John Caliperry at Kentucky, nobody on that staff and nobody uh on that roster has anything to do with with John Caliperry and and his time at Kentucky.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's just how new it is.
Speaker 1: But you know, those players walking around campus and or or just around town, how many times you think this week they've been told man you got to get this absolutely.
Speaker 2: I mean, like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they know, and I think they know they know what's important.
Speaker 2: The new veterans in both at both Louisville and Kentucky, I get a sense that they are really soaking in the experience and understanding how passionate these fan bases are. And even though it really it's a good scenario for Kentucky, they don't have any they'd have to really go manufacture some ill will towards Calum that wouldn't do anything but maybe get in their head. But they do know. Man, this fan base loves their coach and they love this team, and they're gonna go out there and hope to get a win because they realized it would be a I mean, it wouldn't be a real valuable win when it comes to your resume, but man, it would be a win that the fans really really appreciate. Now, let's switch to Louisville quickly.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 2: I think they're kind of becoming boring to talk about. And I say that tongue in cheek, because you know, the ride has been phenomenal from a fan's perspective. Just seeing this team, you know, coming ready to play every night really since this win streak started, and even before that, they still showed signs of Pat Kelsey being the guy that looks like he can get this thing turned around. But I thought Pat Kelsey's press conference earlier today was interesting in a way to where, you know, I maybe I'm just just you know, turning into the real fan here, but I do feel like what he tells us is quite literally his approach right. He doesn't think about any other game other than other than the next one. And I feel like his his guys have really been a reflection of him throughout this season, which which is what you want. I guess My question is, you know what you're seeing now for Louisville, what are some things you feel like that maybe they you know, they need to tighten up here in this next month and a half. They may slip up and lose to some teams before they get to the postseason. That could certainly happen. They could lose anybody they don't play well. But while they're collecting wins here, what are some things you feel like they could tighten up on before they get to postseason play, when of course they're going to play better teams, and.
Speaker 3: You know what Honestly, I thought about that day.
Speaker 1: Where could they you know, one of the things, and you mentioned the Tennessee game, right, and I would even go back and point to the Old Miss game and what I.
Speaker 3: Think they they learned. And I don't know.
Speaker 1: If it was if it was the team or the staff. I think this team likes they They like a they like a loose whistle. They because one of the things that I've noticed is that they're they're pretty hands on defense, and they're gonna dare officials to call foul.
Speaker 2: They set the tone early with the officials, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: If it's if it's loose, and I think they first off, I think they like that, and b I think they need that just because of you know, like they the high disparity, you know, some of that. But and that's not the sake. And I think that's one of the things that he learned in that Tennessee game, because Tennessee does that. Oh this does that, you know what I mean. Like And so if if they're not gonna call a tight you know, if they're gonna if they're gonna call a tight whistle, then maybe you have to change some things. But if they're gonna call a loose whistle. Then then you gotta you know, you can you can really kind of dictate how you want the offense to play on the on the other end, and I think, you know, one of the things is they they're just really guarding right now. Honestly, I don't know if they can play much better than what they're playing at right now. Like, I really like the way that they're playing. I don't know if there's another level for them, because it almost feels like to me, like nobody's having bad games.
Speaker 2: Yep, I think he's getting as much as you could expect out of the majority of the guys he's playing. You may have guys that just are unconscious and can't miss shots, but I'm with you. I think for the most part, the key guys that are really impactful, you're getting probably as best you can. And the good thing of that is that I feel like what's making that all work is things that aren't necessarily based off luck. It's just guys bringing a good attitude, good energy, effort, and and really kind of sticking to the role that that they've identified. So I'm with you on that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, like you know, I just kind of go down and like James Scott does Jave Scott things, Javon Hadley does Javon Hadley things, Rayin Smith makes threes and does a.
Speaker 3: Few other things. And and Terrence Edwards has.
Speaker 1: Been And by the way, I didn't I didn't know that they were getting this kind of a defender from from Tarreence Edwards. But but he's been, he's been phenomenal. And then Chucky Hepburn has just been amazing. So yeah, I and and like when you go down through that list, it just feels like everybody is bringing it every single night, which is if you're a coach man that just you know you gotta be tickled pink.
Speaker 2: With that, no doubt, Kent, I won't leave you on hold as long as I did next time we bring you on, so appreciate your time. I know you've got a big week in ahead, so we'll let you get back at it. As always, thank you for spending some time with us, and we'll talk.
Speaker 3: To brother all right, brother, appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Take care that it's Ken Spencer from WHAS eleven always appreciated making time for us, and of course we always appreciate the conversation quick time out, We'll keep this thing rolling along. It's Coffee and Company. Feel by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety. You're listening to Coffee and Company with Nick Coffee on Sports Talk seven ninety. That's right, it's coffee and Company and we are fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talks seven to ninety. Don't forget take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the Aheart Radio app Listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot com. Obviously, the out radio app is not just for listening to us live. You can always go back and listen to anything that you might have missed because that's where you can find the podcast of this show, which we talked about it last week. And I've already kind of broken a rule that I set for myself a little bit because I used to not check the podcast numbers really ever, just because I would get in my own head if there was one day where it wasn't what it usually is as far as downloads and listenership, then I would just obsess over what could have caused that, and it would just not be a good thing for me. But last week I was actually uploading our podcast which I don't usually do, and I went and checked and was just, you know, thankful that there's many people of you, as many of you listen and download and whatnot. Know, So however you're listening, wherever you're listening, we certainly do appreciate it. But I wouldn't checked earlier today, and you know, it just didn't. You know, it makes me feel like we're doing some good stuff here. So again, big, big thanks to all of you guys who listen if it's live, if it's on podcast, and today's show will be up shortly. All right, let's talk about the Louisville Men's Clinic. I know you guys have heard me now talking about our fine partnership the Louisville Men's Clinic for over a year now, and it is one of one of the many great partstnerships that I've personally been involved in. And what I mean by that is I educated myself man. In fact, I guess they educated me doctor Wood at the Louisville Men's Clinic. He educated me sort of on how a lot of this stuff works and why testosterone levels need to be checked because you know, for you to be in a real situation with your health being a big concern. Your levels need are going to need to be really low. I mean we're talking like dangerously low. So if you get blood work done with your doctor, your physician, and they see the levels at a certain spot, it may be nothing that causes any kind of concern on their end as far as your overall health. But every person, depending upon their age, should be within a certain range. And there's so many people out there that would never For first of all, I think there's so many people that would never even think to get it checked out because they don't know what it is. They just assume, like I did. That it's just for people that are, you know, a lot older than me. And you know, I'm not young, but I'm also not you know, I'm kind of in that weird range, right, I'm thirty six. I don't really qualify to be you know, young young, but I'm also not you know, I'm not fifty, which crazy to think that I'm closer to fifty than twenty, but you know, life happens. But my point is if there was more folks my age that kind of knew how all this works and knew what your level should be depending upon your age, and you got it checked out and then you were able to go and you know, talk to the folks like I did at the Louis of Men's Clinic. I mean, it could impact your life in so many ways. I mean, and I know it's going to sound like I'm just really overdoing it here, and I don't mean to, but your testosterone levels not being where they need to be for your age can impact you way more so than just like physical appearance and energy and ability to build muscle. I mean it can also it can also impact It can impact your mental health. And I can tell you everything they say about why testosterone levels being where they need to be for your age, like all the things they list that that why it's beneficial to have it, to have it, you know, looked at and treated if need be, every one of them. I feel like I can tell you that it's that it's certainly stood out to me. As far as I'm in a better spot here, as far as sleep, I'm in a better spot here. As far as mental health, I'm in a better spot here. As far as just excess belly fat and you know, man boobs kind of stuff, I mean, clearly, I'm still I'm still, and I don't say clearly as if like you know, I'm bragging, but I do still try to exercise and and you know, watch what I eat to an extent. I'm not a help, not by any means, and I'm not somebody that's obsessed with the gym, but I try to be as healthy as possible. But now that my testosterone levels are where they need to be, I've had the same lifestyle for years, but now, man, I'm really seeing results that I didn't see for a while. And it's all because of my levels being where they need to be now, and it's all because of the friends that I have over at the Louis of Men's Clinics. So go check them out Lois of Men's Clinic dot com. Go see doctor Wood. The phone numbers five O two four four four four thousand. I know there's at least one of you listening right now that thinks you know what I'm I'm. I'm in Nick's age range, and I kind of feel like maybe I'm I'm dealing with those same kind of things. It's not something where I feel like I need to go to the doctor as if I'm ill, but yeah, just something's off I've lost my edge, that was me and now here. I am a year into my my treatment with the Louvermen's Clinic and it's been very beneficial. All Right, it's coffee and company. We're fueled by Thorntons right here on Sports Talk seven ninety