Speaker 1: Hey, what's up. So it's twenty twenty one, and it's a lady from your mom's book club, one who apologizes even when she brings cookies and up top, I want to tell you that this is an encore of an episode that went up in twenty eighteen, and it has a ton of never before heard bonus content and asides that I cut out from the previous release. So you have not heard a lot of this, and I'm giving it another spin because many of you have never heard oology and 'tis the season to scoop up a lot of discount Easter candy at the drugstore, And I'm working on a big episode for next week that's going to blow your minds, and so I wanted to just take a little bit of a breather there. But here is Eggs alongside seriously egregious, egg Gregious. I'm so sorry. That wasn't even an intentional amount of asides. You may listen to these asides and say, boy, howdy, that's a lot of asides, But I'm happy to have this info on pagan holidays and ostrich nests. Okay, let's dive in. Okay, Hey, it's that Hi, Hi, it's a lady from your mom's book club. Hi, the one who apologizes even when she brings cookies. Yeah, Hi, it's Ali Ward back with another episode Amologies. Oh man, I never knew I needed this episode. Like, we've had an episode about ornithology birds, but now we're gonna get to the heart, the heart of the matter. And by heart I mean butt, and by butt I mean kloaca. So what is it kloaca? Well, as I've said before, it's kind of like the home button on an iPhone, like if Steve Jobs had designed an orifice, just a multipurpose little boop. It's good for sensual adult times, for egg laying and pooh. So today we're gonna be cracking wise about eggs. Oh, so many eggs, So many glorious eggs. What a wonder? Okay, but first, this podcast Really Quick would not exist without patrons. On patreon dot com slash ologies, you can support for a dollar an episode a dollar a month. Patrons get to hear what episodes are coming up next and submit questions for theologists. And I say, your name is right as my mouth possibly can. Also ologiesmerch dot com has backpacks, caps, bikinis, shirts, there's totes, gifts, pins all science themed. But if money's tight because the world is falling apart and it's on fire, that's okay. Rating and subscribing and reviewing keeps ologies up in the charts where other people can see it and say, what is this podcast that talks about slug Dix? And why does this lady call herself my dad? I read all of your reviews. I'm upfront about it, all right. I'm kind of like a concerned parent reading the diary that you left open on the counter, and so to prove it, just like I do every week, I shout out one reviewer, and this week I would like to thank Beyonce two three, seven oh six. Maybe that's Beyonce, perhaps it's a different Beyonce who says this podcast makes me to make the world a better place. I love hearing all of these people who I would normally think of as existing on another plane and finding out that they're just people and I could be one of them too. I read that earlier today and literally started crying. So thank you Beyonce for that. Okay, let's get that shell back to this excellent episode, shall we. By the way, that is why I call myself here, dad, Okay, So why is it called oology? Why are there so many god dang oh's in this word? Okay comes from one, guess, Yes, the Greek for ion, meaning egg, and it's a branch of ornithology that deals with eggs. I want to think that the oo in oology is just because the moos look like little eggies, but that's not true. Okay, So this interview, what a what a treat? Okay. I was in Chicago for a few days and I reached out to the wonderland that is the Field Museum via the Brain Scoops Emily Grassley, hey girl, and they hooked me up. So not only did they give me a quiet room to record the epidemiology episode with the errands of this podcast will kill You, but they were also like, yo, we got an egg dude for you. So Kate Golumbski, I owe you like ten puppies. Kate met me at the Field and she walked me through the ornithology lab. Whoa, hi, so many of you are up some steps.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: What I didn't realize also is that this museum is so big that our commute from one office to the other, that's a good time.
Speaker 3: In a commute.
Speaker 1: I should have left a trailer breadcrumbs to the office of an expert in bird babies, this kind faced, spectacled gentleman with thick salt and pepper hair and a desk piled with eggbooks and field notes. But it was a Friday afternoon at four pm, and I just hated to keep him from his weekend. So some of the questions and answers are super rapid fire. But then we had such a jolly time hanging out that afterwards he offered to give me a tour of the egg bunker, and hell yes, I took him up on that. So throughout the interview there are audio notes from that tour as we continued to just gab in the stacks. So this episode is just a feast of facts about speckley eggs and outlaw burders and falcon mysteries and vaults of delicate treasures and can you eat cookie dough? And modern research done with old artifacts. And there's some Easter bullshit and chicken hatching, even snake trivia. It's got it all. So buckle up, all right, let's settle our feathers and ready ourselves for the ornithological Treasures of boologists Doctor John Bates. Hi, I'm Ali Warren. Hi, nice to meet you. Thank you for talking about eggs with me. Are you technically an oologist?
Speaker 4: No? I am not?
Speaker 1: What not an oologist? He literally edited the book of eggs. It's called the Book of Eggs and his name is on the cover. Like not an oologist. He studies bird eggs. Okay, I gotta breathe that. Okay, more on this situation a minute. But he is definitely an evolutionary biologist slash ornithologist and officially an associated curator of birds and head of the Life Sciences Division at the Field Museum in Chicago. Or what do you study about birds? Do you study particular like eggs of different species, feathers, beaks, like, what's your bag?
Speaker 4: Well, I'm a curator and so we have one of the world's greatest collections of birds here in the museum, and so one of the things I've been interested in over the years is all aspects of av and biology. But the egg part actually came about because we have an egg collection and I feel like it's my responsibility to know something about eggs.
Speaker 1: So after the interview at his desk. John took me down this labyrinth into the bowels of the museum, just stuffed with millions of scientific artifacts, like for real, actually millions of artifacts. What you see on displays at museums is this laughably small representation of their actual shit they have in files and drawers and boxes behind the scenes. So behind these scenes we came upon a room labeled egg Collection, to which John had the keys. Wow, what this looks like a like a bank bunker.
Speaker 3: They really look like they do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh my god.
Speaker 1: So how many specimen in.
Speaker 4: This from so probably about one hundred thousand eggs.
Speaker 1: But now, why do you say you're not an oologist even though you study bird eggs?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's because basically, I don't know if you could find anybody who had described themselves as an oologist anymore. It's a field that's it's an extinctology at some level, which is too bad. That's actually one of the things that we're interested in, some colleagues and I are interested in. We're actually working on a paper right now trying to encourage people to remember, and that is that there's these incredible collections of eggs around the world, and a lot of times they're pretty underutilized. People tend to forget they're there. So oology was really popular in the eighteen eighties into the nineteen twenties or so, and then it died out. And some of that was because people were a little bit concerned that there might be issues with respect to collecting eggs in terms of the population biology affecting the population biology of birds and things, and so it was kind of fell out of favor with a lot of people.
Speaker 1: So, okay, so oology can mean the study of eggs, but it can also refer to the hobby of collecting wild bird eggs, also called egg in Now, at some point these amateur egg scholars stopped egging because it became illegal. People were like, well, you are stealing babies now, Wikipedia says, and I quote despite this, some of those who engage in egg collecting show considerable recidivism. That is legal speak for doing bad shit again like chasing the dragon egg. Wikipedia continues. One Colin Watson was convicted six times before he fell to his death in two thousand and six while attempting to climb to a nest high up in a tree. Another individual has been convicted nine times and imprisoned twice, and a third has been convicted fifty one times, imprisoned four times and barred from entering Scotland during the breeding season. People are addicted to egg collecting. Also, One historical amateur ornithologist, Charles Bendyer, who stash of eight thousand formed the base of the Smithsonian's egg collection, climbed a tree for some hobbyist egg thievery and was, rightfully, if you ask me, shot at and scared away, but escaped climbing down the tree with a raptor egg in his mouth. And the egg was so big that he had to and was willing to rather have his teeth broken to get it out of his mouth at like a cloach of face. So these were the oologists of your Perhaps that's why the term fell out of favor.
Speaker 4: But then the other thing that happened was you had the advent of things like cameras, and suddenly you know, people you could make an argument that you didn't need the specimen per se if you could take a picture of the eggs.
Speaker 1: So do you think that if you're not out actively collecting and studying eggs, then you're not an oologist?
Speaker 4: Well, I think so I like to describe it actually as an interesting way, I think from the perspective of humans, which is that in some level it's like pediatrics. Right, So here's this field where people study children, and this is a field where people studied eggs. But it's a specialization within pediatrics, right, a specific thing. And I think that in part it was just because collecting eggs kind of literally fell out of favor, and so the termoology actually fell by the wayside. At some point.
Speaker 1: I think it's time to resurrect it.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's actually I mean there's a lot of science that can be done with eggs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So tell me about the collection you have, and what do you like about eggs, because I feel like you have to be into them in order to study them. I think aptitude is backed by passion, I'm guessing. So what is it about birds and bird eggs that you that you love or that you're drawn to?
Speaker 4: So what I'd say, I think it's interesting to say. I mean, eggs themselves are just beautiful things in nature, for one thing, But when you look at these collections, you start realizing that they're incredibly valuable pieces of our understanding of early natural history. So one of the things I always like to say to people is that, you know, you go back to our collections of bird specimens from the eighteen eighties a lot of times and they have very little information on them. But with the egg collections, it's very common for them to have these detailed nest cards which describe exactly when the person found the nest, how many eggs were in it, what kind of tree it was in, very detailed locality information, and so these guys were actually collecting really excellent natural history data, probably tend to twenty to thirty years more earlier than a lot of the specimen collectors were, so it's a very incredible data. As a matter of fact, one of the things we're trying to do right now is work on various projects where we can use these data to look at what's going on today.
Speaker 1: So it's kind of like the thank you for the nest plundering. Back then you monocled dere liks, But yeah, no, we don't do that now. That's out a pastime. Let's just play video games or scroll through pictures of other people's vacations on a tiny screen. But the dates in all of those amateur egg collections are very helpful.
Speaker 4: So, for instance, we can look at nest laying dates for birds in the Midwest and ask the question if we have data from modern birds on when they were at laying and this is based on field observations from some of my colleagues. We can look at individual species and ask the question, our bird populations in the Chicago region laying their eggs at different times than they were historically, and it looks like there's the dates of laying have advanced actually, which is consistent with some of the potential issues that you'd expect due.
Speaker 3: To climate change.
Speaker 1: So climate change is a biggie, as are the effects of pesticides and pollutants. So one huge detective story is often cited when the topic of vintage eggs comes up.
Speaker 4: You know, when I show this to people and I talk about why we have these collections. One of my favorite examples is, you know, paragon falcon eggs. So these were collected in the eighteen nineties in North Dakota. Wow, and paragon falcons in the nineteen sixties, along with ospreys and bald eagles, had their populations plummeted, and paragon falcons actually went extinct in eastern North America, and what was going on is they weren't having any reproductive success. And it was because every time females laid eggs, they would start sitting on them to incubate them, they would crack, and scientists thought that this pesticide DDT was causing the egg shell thinning. And one of the big pieces of evidence that led them to ban DDT in the US was a study by these guys named Hicky and Anderson where they went in and they measured pre d d tira egg shell thickness in these birds with post egg shell post nineteen sixty during the DTI use, and they were able to show that they were demonstrably s thinner and a bunch of the key areas. And so it was a great scientific design that was possible because they had access to these collections. Yeah, and what I always like to point out is that you know, this guy that collected these things, this guy foresight in nineteen seventeen, had no idea that forty fifty years later his eggs would be used for a study like that.
Speaker 1: And so so it's so cool to see current research being done on specimens that have been collected one hundred years exactly. So just think some of the science that you do today might help future generations to study, like which plants existed before the robots that we download our consciousness into took over the earth and mined all the gold to make toilets and then darken the sky with clean coal emissions? Is that too dark? Sorry? When they would collect the eggs, would they blow the eggs out or would they just rot? What was happening? Would they hollow Okay, they'd hollow them out?
Speaker 4: Yeah? So yeah, right, so I yes, they would put roll a little hole in them, and it was a real art. I mean they were really good at it, and they would carefully inject a little bit of air and once you do that, you can blow the contents out of a very small hole and you're left with the egg shell.
Speaker 1: Can you explain to me how an egg is formed? Because it is kind of odd to be like, Hi, I'm a bird, I'm soft, a fluffy, and then boink, there's this hard thing that comes out of your cloaca. What is it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Basically, the female has this developing ovum and her oviduct and it goes down and there's a glands that produce the the shell material, and it gradually rotates and forms, and you get the production of this perfectly layered, hard and yet thin thing covering that developing embryo in an incredible way. That and then there are all kinds of interesting things that happen after that with respect to making the eggs colorful or spotted or things like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So is it like layers on a jawbreaker, like layer after layer of like this calcium or is it like one layer of shell that happens at once.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, it's my understanding of it is it's a layer thing, and they actually is there going down the oviduct the shell gland is actually putting it, layingering on that material so that when it comes out it's it's a perfectly formed egg.
Speaker 1: And then where is the air brushing station in the oviduct? Like where are they putting on the speckles? And like the robin egg blue colors.
Speaker 4: It's done in the as it's passing along through the kloaca and in the overduct. And there are these melonin producing glands that are cells that will actually make the color. But that's something that actually some of the aspects of that are still debated by scientists. We don't know how some colors on certain types of eggs are made.
Speaker 1: And I understand, Like, okay, so we're surrounded by these beautiful posters of eggs and I understand eggs. It looks like granite boom. Is it an egg or a rock? I don't know. I can't tell. I'm not going to eat it. I get it. But like a bright blue robin's egg in a green tree, what's happening there that seems so conspicuous?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so quick answer, We don't know, okay, right, but there are these eggs. If I showed you eggs of Tinamus, which are these neotropical birds that a bunch of species, they look like little chickens that run around in either forest or an open country, and they lay these incredibly enameled eggs that can be anywhere from blue to brown to green, and they're just just incredibly enameled. And we don't know why they do that.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: And one hypothesis, which is kind of crazy, would be just they wanted to look so weird that no predator would look at that and go, yeah, that's something we should eat.
Speaker 1: And they wanted to look like a weird toy or a piece of ceramic or something like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I mean they literally don't look like anything you would find in nature.
Speaker 1: So down in the vault, John showed me another egg that look like a prop Like, no way did a bird button make this? Oh my god, are you kidding me?
Speaker 4: These common muror nests eggs, so this cliff Nester, and you can see these are from Ireland, and then they would have been laid by different females such that the female could actually individually recognize each egg. And you can see these things like all these little squiggles come from the egg twisting as it's coming down the Wow, the overduct and it looks like.
Speaker 1: You just took a sharpie or a marker.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to them, it looks.
Speaker 1: Like you you let your like four year old nephew color them in, you know what I mean, But like or Jackson Pollock. Oh my god, they're gorgeous.
Speaker 2: Though.
Speaker 4: You can see this one sat for a while and.
Speaker 1: Oh inside of the.
Speaker 4: Oviducts, yeah, inside the overduct and so it gets.
Speaker 1: It gets more of that speckl right exactly familiar. Oh, from those cells. That's so I never knew that's how it happened. I mean, that's so crazy to think of it twisting and turning and making those marks. So just squiggling down the bird butt canal getting a streaky paint job on the way, it's so delicately magic, gross and beautiful. And what about egg shape? Why are they the shape that they are?
Speaker 4: So that's an interesting question that's been studied and published on fairly recently and not one of the hypotheses is that it's related to body shape at some point. Eggs a lot. I mean, eggs have a fairly defined shape for the most part, but they're really interesting aspects of certain eggs. So for instance, eggs of some of the birds that breed on cliffs, like common mirrors and things, are these long pointed have a thick base and then a long pointed tip. And one of the hypotheses has been that they've evolved that way because they're on a cliff face. And if you roll that egg on a cliff face, it'll just roll in a tight little circle because of its shape. Now, some other people have come along and said, now that's not what's going on, but that's a plausible explanation for that egg shape.
Speaker 1: And do you eat eggs. I do eat eggs, okay, So you're not like you don't have a situation where you're like, oh, I can't do it right? No, is it bad for us to eat chicken eggs?
Speaker 4: So I always like to say that. My pediatrician used to flip back and forth. Every year I went to him, Oh really, my mom crazy, Like he would come in and say eggs are good for your son. Good, Nope, next year, eggs are bad for you.
Speaker 1: So side note, I was like, yeah, what's up with eggs having this like big reputation. So in nineteen sixty eight, the American Heart Association advised people not to have more than three egg yolks per week. It's like eggs are canceled. Unfollow eggs on Twitter, do not invite them to breakfast. And then years later some news came out that was like, nah, eggs are fine. And then in the last few years, this new cholesterol kills campaign came out and that's done by an organization called the Truth About Eggs. But that turns out to be a vegan advocacy group. So I turned to official science papers for some sanity, and there was one about how eggs have gotten such a bad rap and seriously they are fine. And I was like, Okay, cool science paper, I trust you. And then I scrolled down to the author bio of this science paper and he worked for the egg industry. Good God, eggs. How is your pr more complicated than the JFK assassination? This is like of the mobs specialized in brunch scrambles. I cannot keep track, So I guess if you're at risk for heart disease, consult your physician and read some papers and pay attention to who's writing the papers. I may be your weird uncle, but I am no doctor. Well, John is technically a doctor.
Speaker 4: But I'm not an MD.
Speaker 1: Not that you'll be making a bunch of omelets now, I'm sorry, but if you were, you'd have to break some eggs. But what if it's a museum egg and you're an oologist. Have you ever broken an egg and been like oh shit?
Speaker 4: Well, so the quick answer is no.
Speaker 1: But back in the cool egg dungeon, John withdraws a drawer slowly and he tells me a tale of a thousand cringes.
Speaker 4: One of the greatest curators of birds at the Field Museum, a guy named Mel Trailer, apparently pulled this drawer out at one point too far and dropped it. And so even the greatest people can make mistakes. Now, the truth of the matter is it looks bad, but you're not really losing an.
Speaker 3: You're not losing the data. But still, I.
Speaker 4: Can't even imagine what it was like today that that happened.
Speaker 1: What kind of words do you think came out of his way?
Speaker 4: He was an incredible gentleman, so I bet he's swore quite a bit.
Speaker 3: But that is devastating.
Speaker 1: And so what has been the rarest or most beautiful specimen that you've seen?
Speaker 4: So I think some of the coolest eggs in the world are belonging to a bird called the Gira cuckoo from South America, and they are these incredible eggs that they lay in big numbers. They're cooperative breeders, and I'm not exactly sure some of their relatives actually have multiple females on the same territory and they'll actually throw eggs out on that, but they'll end up with a mixed nest of multiple eggs of different females. And these guys have so they'll have up to ten or twelve eggs in the nest and they start off with this white powder but around them, but it's a blue egg and so over time the blue wears off, and it wears off in this kind of patchwork fashion that just gives a really beautiful color.
Speaker 3: Oooho.
Speaker 1: So they have almost like an like an opposite pan patina.
Speaker 4: Yes exactly. Oh wow.
Speaker 1: So later on the tour, I got a chance to see these bad boys, and they're this lovely minty aqua color like a turmaline blue with white patterns overlaid, and it was like a gas pathon. They're gorgeous. I mean, they look like ceramic because we just don't ever have an opportunity to see a lot of these right, you know, ever, because when are you going to come across a cliff nest or you know, something that's thirty feet off the ground hidden behind leaves, So that geara cuckoo with the gorgeous eggs is sneaky and she leaves them and nests that are not hers. A bunch of cuckoo birds do this, and then their babies hatch, and then they bump out the other babies and the parents just don't even seem to notice that all of their babies are gone, and they now have one giant baby that does not look like them. Such gossip. And then this bamboozlry happens with other species.
Speaker 4: Of course, these are annis, which are these blackbirds from the tropics, which are cuckoo relatives, and so they're and these are these ones that have these nests that multiple females in the group will lay in day care. Yeah, with the caveat being that apparently there's a older female that'll come along and throw most of the eggs out over time and then lay most of hers in there. But not anyways, what a bitch?
Speaker 1: Are there any eggs that you know of that are like so valuable monetarily wise? Like, are there any that are like underglass? And well if I if I told you, yeah, that's true, you would have.
Speaker 4: Actually, we have a of a plaster cast downstairs of an elephant bird from Madagascar, which is a bird that was these one of these giant flightless things that was living in Madagascar up until the time the first humans got there. And the beaches in Madagascar some places are littered with small pieces of elephant bird eggshell, and there are a few elephant bird eggs that have been found whole and a lot of those are in museums, and my understanding is those are worth sometimes upwards of thirty to fifty thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that price checks out. Now, the elephant bird went extinct somewhere between the thirteen hundreds and the eighteen hundreds. Nobody knows, but it was probably because of humans. I think we all pretty much know that. Now. Bigger than a basketball, these huge foot long eggs have sold at auction for more than one hundred thousand dollars, which is pretty eggs expensive. It's a lot of cash to shell out. Okay, I'm gonna stop cracking these yolks. Please don't reject me. Okay. So these elephant bird eggs, there's a list on Wikipedia of the different museums that have them in collections, and there are less than forty intact specimens at institutions around the world. But recently added to the list just a few months ago, the Buffalo Museum of Science. For years, they thought that this precious behemoth was just like a plaster model, and then they were like, you know what, let's get an X rayed. Turns out it's the real deal.
Speaker 5: They were like, oh shit, oh my God, we're rich if we decide to sell it, but mostly we're gonna hang on to it because it's cool for science and stuff.
Speaker 1: I think that's what they said. That's a lot of money for it.
Speaker 4: But I think how many omelets. Those things would have mazed?
Speaker 1: So many omelets, which is probably why they're extinct.
Speaker 4: Exactly right.
Speaker 1: What's the biggest egg you have ever cracked? I once tried to eat an emu egg and it required a hack.
Speaker 4: Saw was that any good?
Speaker 1: It was very rich, it was huge, it was overwhelming. But we whipped it up and made an omelet and it was like the most buttery, kind of fatty, tasty one. But it was like huge. It looked like a giant avocado.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So I have to admit that most of my time has been spent with chicken eggs in terms of actually cooking and eating. So I'm trying to think if I've ever actually I think I ever have actually eating another bird's egg species, not even I have kind a duck or Yeah.
Speaker 1: Really, I once had deviled quails eggs, which was weird. I just felt like a giant because they're so little. But how do you take your eggs over?
Speaker 4: Easy?
Speaker 1: So does that mean runny yolk?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Why does that gross me out? But it doesn't gross other people out? Should I be grossed out?
Speaker 4: It's supposed to soak up what's what's left in the plate. If you've got potatoes in the plate, it like makes the potatoes taste better.
Speaker 1: I don't know why. I don't know why. There's something that grosses me out about it. Okay, So another thing that grosses people out the calaisa. Now these two coily white threads that are attached to the yolk. What are they? What are they? Okay, there's just nothing much, just ropes of protein. They're actually markers of a fresh egg since they kind of disappear as it ages. But why are they there, like tiny slimy party streamers. Well, they suspend the yolk in the middle of the egg, kind of like the slingshot ride at the County Fair. But depending on how you personally feel about egg protein squiggles and carnival rides, one may have more screaming than the other. Also side note, Oh my god, I just went down a hole watching a compilation of like go pro footage of couples on the slingshot ride, and it was horrifying and so so amusing. And I only know from the Gelatology episode that it's funny because we know that like everyone is safe in the end. But oh my god, watching adults screaming for their moms on carnival rides is something else. Wow, oh my god. Also never ever going on that ever. Okay, back to egg boogers. I need to get over it because other people seem to love it. But for some reason, the yolk, the yolk is what the chick eats inside the egg. Correct or is the yolk the chick.
Speaker 4: The yolk is the is what it's going to eat.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, so that's that would be the baby chick's food. So I should be okay with eating that, right, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, except that, of course, that's the stuff that my pediatrician was always worried about every other.
Speaker 1: Year, the cholesterol and stuff. When you're cracking hard boiled eggs, Do you have a better strategy because you understand the mechanics and the anatomy of eggs.
Speaker 4: No, that's one of those things that you just go for literally, like I think, and it's a satisfying thing because it's in the end you have something like solid in your hand that you can eat.
Speaker 1: Okay, So if you're like, I'm a grown ass person and I can't boil eggs right, well, number one, why are you reciting passages from my diary? And two I just looked up some tips and apparently here are some pointers. According to French chef Jacques Pepin, Okay, take a thumbtach if you got one, puncture the egg in the round butt end right, and then gently boil them not too high, for ten minutes. Drain you kind of very gingerly, crack the shells, but keep them on, and then submerge in an ice bath for fifteen minutes. If you still think that you screwed up because the shells stick to the egg, well, who boy, howdy, hot tip from old dad here. The older eggs peel better. Fresh eggs terrible appealing. This has nothing to do with your performance as an egg boiler. This is all about the shell being porous and the egg white are also called the albumen getting less acidic. Also, egg white will shrink with time, making the whole thing easier to peel. That also means that the little air pocket at the butt of an egg gets larger as it ages, so fresh eggs will sink, older ones will float. So boiling an egg, once left only to wizards, you now hold the power in your hands.
Speaker 4: I think actually cracking raw eggs is more of an artistic technique that I've never fully developed.
Speaker 1: I know the people that can do one in each hand.
Speaker 4: Yeah, those people, It's like, how do you learn that?
Speaker 1: Masters? They should be oologists to be honest, they need to take up the term as well. Now, how many eggs do you guys have at the Field Museum in collections?
Speaker 4: So the actual number is probably on the order of about one hundred thousand.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: But see, so the interesting thing about eggs is in collections like this is not the number of eggs individually. It's a number of sets of eggs. And so we have about twenty thousand sets of eggs, which means that the eggs are laying by a given female at a given time. And there's what's called clutch size, which is how many eggs they've laid for that nest. And that's actually a truly interesting thing about avian biology because there's lots of variations. So we were talking about those elephant birds clutch size, and elephant.
Speaker 3: Birds was two right, which is, like you said.
Speaker 4: That's probably why there's no elephant birds left if you think about it. Ostriches are another big flightless bird, and they have clutch sizes where a single actually multiple females lay in the same nest, but they'll be upwards of twenty eggs in the nest because these female lays ten to eleven and they're basically just hedging their bets with respect to producing their young because a lot of them are going to get picked off by predators over time.
Speaker 1: Ooh, okay, quick aside, What does an ostrich nest look like? I bet it's like an elaborately woven popisan chair, swirl of delicate wicker holding all these eggy treasures. Now I looked it up and what It's just a sloppy pile of eggs on the ground and a communal pile at that. There's no weaving, there's no mud structure, no bird spun basket. It's just it is the laziest shit you have ever seen. Like if you and four of your housemates folded your athletic socks into balls and then tossed them all in the middle of the room. Only those large socks were your children and your roommate's ass was incubating them. Well, you're out drinking Margarita's from a bird bath. Ostriches, all the other birds look up to you because you were literally nine feet tall. Can you get it together? Okay? So how do they lay them? And now they also have super thick shells because they have to drop like twelve feet from an Ostrich's kloaca to the ground. Right, not quite twelve feet, but you know what I mean, nothing not but.
Speaker 4: The Ostrich actually lays them sitting down. Yeah, for the most part. But they are really thick and like they're used by bushmen of the Kalahari to store water in.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, what a cool purse. I mean talking about a clutch that would be quite an evening clutch. So they call little evening handbags. You're like to nah, it's an.
Speaker 3: Egg I'd be willing to bet that's been done.
Speaker 1: Just FOI, Yes it has been done. So Etsy, Pinterest, eBay all just brimming with Ostrich egg purses, usually starting around several thousand dollars. But I did find one woman in Hemet, California who has a side hustle called egg bags dot Com. She makes them for three hundred and fifty dollars roughly because she's just really drawn to the art of egg decor. It seems so. If you wanted to get yourself something very ornately fancy, just to like toss in some chapsticks a granola bar, the keys to your rental Hyundai egg purses are available. You know what, be that person? Why not? We're only here for so long. Is there any flim flam about eggs that you'd like to debunk, any myths about eggs that you're like, that is not how it is.
Speaker 4: Myths about eggs.
Speaker 1: Bunnies don't lay them despite Easter.
Speaker 4: They don't. That's absolutely true.
Speaker 1: Do you love springtime because of the egg imagery or are you like, come on, guys, no.
Speaker 4: Because it gets really weird because of the bunny aspect of it. I think that confuses the biology. I think. I think Easter egg hunting is great. I think Easter egg dying is great. The whole buddy aspect of it really gets messed up. Right, So I don't know how that happened.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm gonna tell you right now to your faces how it happened. So well, it's debated but some historians think Easter came from the Germanic mythological goddess of springtime, oh Wester, who may have healed a wounded bird that she found in the woods by changing it into a bunny, and then the bunny was like, dude, thank you and laid her an egg because the buddy was like, I still have a bird, bud sis. So modern holiday traditions for Easter have roots in the Jewish Passover holiday, alongside some sprinkles of pagan fun for the Spring equinox, which then made me wonder, why is Easter such a floater of a holiday? I never know what it is? And in Western Christianity it always falls on You're ready for this the Sunday between March twenty second and April twenty fifth, typically the first Sunday after the first full moon occurring on or after the spring equinox. Whatever. You have a Google calendar, we can all use it anyway. Bunnies dropping eggs brings us to Daynnda, where rabbits are I think invasive, and so they celebrate with Easter billaby's which is like a shrewd faced marsupial I want to pet on the head but how do you feel about platy pie and the mammals that lay a ducktle bill?
Speaker 4: See that's cool because they're just trying to be birds, right, Well.
Speaker 1: How did they even how did that even come about?
Speaker 4: That's a good question if from an evolutionary standpoint, it would be potentially a really retained characteristic from their ancet with.
Speaker 1: Reptiles, And now reptiles, were they the og when it comes to egg laying? And then I mean because birds reptiles similar evolutionary pathway dinosaurs.
Speaker 4: I mean birds are dinosaurs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, birds are dinosaurs.
Speaker 4: So we're looking at just I think birds are just better dinosaurs.
Speaker 1: I think, I mean they It's funny because for so long it's like dinosaurs are extinct and they're like, no, they're not. There's a pigeon done, It's boom. Also, where do pigeons have nests?
Speaker 4: They nest on little ledges and stuff. But that's a really great observation because as many pigeons as there are in like the city of Chicago, I almost never see a nest. And then the other thing is that so they're that group of birds. So the columbu day, the family that they belong to, they lay clutches of two. That's the only the total number. And so you would think, like, if you're laying two eggs on a ledge, any predator could come down and eat those things. Yeah, and they're not particularly tough birds. So how to why are there so many pigeons?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I have a theory that maybe they just asexually bud and a feather falls off and then a whole other pigeon sprouts around it.
Speaker 4: And the only thing I would say that our argues against that is I could show you pigeon eggs in our collections.
Speaker 3: So we know they do it.
Speaker 2: Dang it.
Speaker 1: There was once I lived in an apartment building and a pigeon got inside, and I did see a pigeon build a nest inside on the carpet, and I told my landlords. I was like, yo, there's a pigeon like inside, like on the carpet, and they're like, leave it alone, and I was like, what about bird mites? I feel like we need to worry about that, Like can we scoot it? So I did see one pigeon nest once, but it was like one foot away from my door, inside on a carpet, and that it was just all kinds of wrong.
Speaker 4: And did you see any pigeon mites?
Speaker 1: No, but I think I moved before. Last thing I needed was bird cooties. In case you think I'm five and just slandering birds. Bird cooties are an actual thing, I promise. So World War One soldiers they took the Melee word for lice, which was kutu, and they mashed it with this species coot thought to be real dirty birds. So bird mites are a real thing, and they can infect a house if you have, say, pigeons in the attic and they leave the nest, and then the mites go downstairs to peek in the fridge for a snack, But instead of the fridge, it's your body. You are the snack. Now. I've known two separate couples who have had bird might infestations, one of them longtime friend, and it truly was one of the worst things she's ever been through and she was in a body cast during puberty, you guys.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: The other couple said they would rather have been haunted by a dozen poultergeists than contend with invisible biting things. So if you see a pigeon in your house, do you point to the door or a window because they can fly?
Speaker 4: You don't know, that's a whole not you should. You can do a whole nother ology on parasitology.
Speaker 1: Because birds have mites.
Speaker 4: Oh, we actually go into the field now and we do an active job of trying to collect them because they're they're co evolving with the birds essentially, and so there's some really interesting questions you can ask with mites.
Speaker 1: Do you get a lot of gifts that have eggs on them? To people? Say I saw this and I thought of you.
Speaker 4: I do, because we did a book of eggs, and so people kind of know that I've worked.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how many books about eggs do you own? In reference?
Speaker 4: So I benefit by being in a place that has a where our bird library is right down the hall, and that means I don't have to buy as many books on eggs. I can actually just go down and surreptitiously grab them off the shelf and then check them out, and then the librarians have to come track me down to get them back.
Speaker 1: You're like, you're not too far though, I mean, and who's going to make better use of a book about eggs than you?
Speaker 4: Well, that's my argument exactly, but when somebody else wants it, they need to be able to find me.
Speaker 1: Did you ever have to do the thing in high school where they gave you an egg and they're like, don't break it. This is what parenthood is like. Do they ever make you do that?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: I never did that.
Speaker 1: Yeah they would. I think they used to do that to scare to scare teenagers away from like becoming parents too early, as they'd be like, you have to take care of this egg for a week, and if you break it, you fail or whatever. So I just looked this up, and in some schools now they give you a ten pound sack of flour because it's similar, I guess, to carrying around an actual baby, if the baby were perfectly still and silent and only emitted soft puffs of edible powdered excretions. So other programs, since this is not eighteen thirty two, will hook you up with a screaming, peeing infant doll to contend with, just all as a lesson to say, hey, kids, we know having intercourse with Bay is on fleek and you want a yolo, but consider some bomb ass protections so you don't become a teen parent who has to carry around a small, alive, screaming person with your face. So I think it used to be like a which I feel like taking care of an unfertilized chicken egg is a lot easier than an infant. But what do I know?
Speaker 4: So know now that you mentioned that, the one thing I remember like that was DeCamp and doing egg tosses.
Speaker 3: Oh right, It's.
Speaker 4: Like I was always one of those kids that didn't want to break the egg. Did not want to do it. Some kids didn't care. I did not want to break the egg.
Speaker 1: You had an early appreciation. Now, if you bought a fertilized chicken egg, like from Whole Foods because you believed that for some reason, fertilized chicken eggs were better, could you take it home, put it on a heating blanket, and have some chicks in a couple of weeks?
Speaker 4: Good question. I don't know, Yeah, and I wouldn't want to find out. Actually, to be honest with you, what do you do? Yeah, yeah, exactly if it worked, and I wouldn't buy fertilized chicken eggs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what is what is the difference of when you're eating an egg being fertilized or not.
Speaker 4: It could be taste or something I think, but again I don't have any intention of finding out anytimes I.
Speaker 1: Look this up. And apparently you can hatch chickens from fertilized eggs from like Trader Joe's, provided they're pretty fresh and actually fertilized. So how can you tell? Okay, let's get into some super quick egg anatomy. Okay, So the egg white or albumen is mostly water and some protein and it serves to protect and feed the chicky. Now, the yolk is higher in protein and fat and it really nourishes the growing baby berb. And the color of a yolk can really vary depending on what a bird has been eating. So grain diets probably lead to like lighter yolks, but backyard hens munching on like table scraps and carrot peelings might have like bright orange yolks. So we already learned that the calasa are those springy protein slingshot rides that keep it all stable inside. Now, to see if a yolk is fertilized, you have to break the egg. So you get a whole carton and crack a few, and then you'll know if the rest are like down to hatch. Now, of the ones you test, crack, look for a white spot on the yolk. If it's small and round, that's called a blastodisc. And that is not, in fact fertilized. That is a dud. Now if the white spot on the yolk is more of a bullseye pattern, then that is a blastoderm and the star a chicken. So noe, do not crack the eggs of the ones you want to hatch. Just in case that was unclear. You just want to test a feut in the cart and shed a tiny tear and eat them incubate the others. Have you heard of ballute? Hi? Sorry me again, just with another quick necessary aside. So ballute? What is it? Southeast Asian snack often consumed with beer. It consists of a boiled duck egg, so what's the big deal?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Also, the duck egg was fertile and the baby duck has been developing for two to three weeks. It has like bones and a beak and stuff, just all boiled and eaten. But a reminder, lobster was once served as prison food because the idea of eating a sea cockroach was considered disgusting and punishment. And I don't even know what's in nacho cheese, but I could eat it all day long. And ballute apparently has its roots in luxury too, And I read that it is the street food in the fills at night and it's served warm. It has kind of an unctious, brothy liquid on top, and the yolk is said to be creamy like a custard. And I asked a listener who's had it. They say it's not too crunchy. Also, you don't have to eat the crunchy bits. But it seems like every culture has its celebrated foods that are maybe difficult conceptually, from hagis to my Italian relatives feasting on pig feet, and it's all just a matter of familiarity and perspective. If you offered many an American and Intestine stuffed with frapaid pig buttholes, they might say, not thank you, but zing that's what hot dogs are. Also, I had a really great and illuminating conversation with one listener named Jackie in Boston who reminded me that our cavalier food fears could sew real and harmful xenophobia and also our Asian American friends know this all too well right now, So a friendly reminder from Jackie to try new foods and to keep your brain and your heart's wide open. And to all the Asian oligites, we love you and we see you, and it's on all of us to stand up for each other and to protect each other from the effects of ignorance. And to quote the wonderful doctor Merlin Tuttle of the Chiropterology episode, people fear most what they understand the least. Now, if you have ever eaten a fertilized egg, I will say from the grocery store, you've also eaten ballute, just very very underripe, if you will. I have some questions from listeners, can I ask you?
Speaker 4: Yes, you can?
Speaker 1: Okay, some of them are for my dad. Hi Dad. But before we get to your questions, a quick word about sponsors of the show, and since this is an Encore presentation. Back in twenty eighteen, we didn't have sponsors and we weren't able to donate to causes, but now we can so in honor of doctor John Bates, we're sending some cash to the Field Museum to continue their excellent education and outreach and research, and that was made possible by some companies that I genuinely like. Okay, Patreon questions. But this first question, though, is from Neil Williams, and it's a good one that has plagued me ever since songwriter Joe Riposo posed it on Sesame Street.
Speaker 3: As Jumpers.
Speaker 1: The chicken, chicken or the egg? What came first?
Speaker 4: Yeah, good question.
Speaker 1: I mean, I guess the egg.
Speaker 4: Well, it's just funny because if you look at chicken as a common name for Gallus gallas, which is a bird, and dinosaurs, the ancestors of chickens, laid eggs, then the egg came before the chicken.
Speaker 1: Is we figured it out?
Speaker 3: There we go.
Speaker 1: God, everything in my life is so much easier now.
Speaker 4: I get a lot of letters about that.
Speaker 1: I well, and you know what, I'll be like, why don't you console the noologist? I have one. He's right here. Jerry Davis wants to know are there any eggs that are poisonous to eat?
Speaker 4: Wow, that's an interesting question.
Speaker 1: I don't know the.
Speaker 4: Quick answer to that's no, not that I can think of. We were just talking about some of the today, some of the other you know, like there's a bird that was found to be poisonous in New Guinea called a pit of hooy But it's it's because it eats beetles and is able to sequester the poisons. But it's eggs I don't think would be poisonous.
Speaker 1: Oh, good to know. Way to go, bibba hooey. Pit of hooyes, by the way, look like pretty just russet colored songbirds, like ones you'd seen in the garden. But they use the same toxin as poisoned dart frogs, so they're kind of like if you found out your aunt was an assassin. But who are you? Whoey bita hooey pit whoy Spencer Tod wants to know is a breakfast chicken egg really only one cell?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: Really, yep, it's one cell. Where's the nucleus and the ribosomes and the organelles and stuff.
Speaker 4: So they're they're there, and I mean this is like the.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess that makes sense because like any egg that a female of any species produces, one.
Speaker 4: Cell is one cell.
Speaker 3: Oh that's weird.
Speaker 1: Oh I've never thought about that. That's awesome. Brooke Boson wants to know what's the smallest egg in the world.
Speaker 4: Is it a hummingbird, It'll be one of the hummingbirds, and there are enough small hummingbirds that probably have similar sized eggs. The smallest hummingbird in the world is a bee hummingbird from Cuba. And you know, the amazing thing there is they have clutch sizes of two and the egg of a bee hummingbird would take up a large amount of the you know, as we said, it's one cell, and it's a large amount of the internal space in a female bee hummingbird.
Speaker 1: So is it just like the size of a tic tac bigger than it?
Speaker 4: Actually looks very much like a tictac. That's exactly what you think.
Speaker 1: I got a chance to see some on the Vault tour and yep, they're just like a scoch, larger than a tic tac, but way smaller than a mento. They are zero percent refreshing. Do not eat them on a date.
Speaker 4: And so here are the chicklets. That's a black chin hummingbird from Arizona.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I'm definitely eaten breath mints larger than that exactly. Oh my god, how cute and tiny.
Speaker 4: Which reminds me of an old joke from when I was a kid, which was, what did the hummingbirds say when he laid an ostrich egg? W late an ostrich egg?
Speaker 3: What out?
Speaker 1: That actually segues perfectly into Katie Copp's question. Here's a stupid question. Just laying an egg hurt? Like it hurts for a woman human woman to give birth, but we don't do it a few times a week.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I was actually looking as I prepped for this. And you know, our modern chickens we eat five billion eggs a year in the US alone. Wow, and the average chicken produces like three hundred and sixty or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like almost daily?
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, I mean.
Speaker 4: Just like it's incredible, and so does it hurt? I mean, I don't know. It's not the same as childbirth in humans?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: We have in childbirth we have real messed up pelvis is like our pelvis is a are not? Are not so great? See the Ologies episodes on primatology and Kynecology for more on that. Did you ever see the movie cool Hand, Luke?
Speaker 4: Oh gosh, you know, yeah, yes you did.
Speaker 3: What do you think I like Cool Hand Lukes?
Speaker 1: What about the egg eating part?
Speaker 4: Yeah? It it never bothered me.
Speaker 3: Really, nobody ever eats fifty eggs. Hey, baby luguts, we got a bed here. My boss said he can make fifty eggs. He ate fifty eggs.
Speaker 1: Just thinking about that sometimes when I make like a lot of like a clutch if you will, of hard boiled eggs, sometimes I think about that and I think, oh.
Speaker 4: God, see I think Rocky's the same way where he comes in after the run, and just like so, I would never do that.
Speaker 1: The funny thing is, if you asked me to eat an undercooked egg, a raw egg, I'd be like, absolutely no, get out of my face. But if you ask me to eat cookie dough which contains them, I'm like, sign me up. I'm there right, what's the deal.
Speaker 4: It's completely illogical, mind never mattered.
Speaker 1: Todd McLaren actually asks what's your favorite egg art? Ukrainian Easter egg, Madieira lace egg, faberge egg.
Speaker 4: Oh. I think those Ukrainian eggs are like incredible, really beautiful, really amazing pieces of artwork.
Speaker 1: So these Ukrainian eggs or psunka are ornately detailed using melted beeswax, and they just keep dunking them and die over and over again. And yes, there is a museum to Pazanka eggs in Eastern Europe in case you're into that. Now onto a very special question from someone who is technically your grandpod Larry Ward aka my Pops. He wants to know how are snake eggs incubated? Does the mom or dad snakes sit on them?
Speaker 4: Yeah? They do. Actually the yeah, they provide some bit. But it's funny because that's a good question. Actually we need a herpetologist. Yeah, in the sense that because they're ecto terms.
Speaker 1: So for this I brought out the big guns and buy guns, I mean snakes, and I reached out to doctor David Stein of the herpetology episode aka Alongside Wild on Twitter, and he responded swiftly and with informational precision. He said, not all snakes lay eggs, but of those two, the vast majority lay them and leave. They just incubate on their own. Pythons are a notable exception. They coil around the eggs and they can use muscle contractions to generate heat. So I like to think of pythons doing like a twitchy dance, like let's hatch these dang babies. So thanks for the question, Pops. Alicia Mansfield asked what causes color variations and eggs of the same species, for example, chicken eggs coming in brown, white, or blue.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a I mean, some of it's just individual variation. And so there's some kind of genetic variation in the DNA. Well, I guess the DNA that's producing the compounds that are being deposited on the shells eventually. But there are these birds, like these common mirrors, where they've actually evolved the capacity. It's of their nesting on colonies on these cliffs and everybody looks alike, and so the females have the ability to lay unique looking eggs that can be completely different looking from the bird right next to them, and that allows them to imprint on those eggs and then find them when they fly to and from the colony to EA. It's an incredibly cool thing.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: And they're still trying to do the research. So they're trying to figure out whether females lay the same kind of eggs from year to year. Oh so whether that's a genetically encoded pattern. And those are really interesting questions.
Speaker 3: That's great.
Speaker 1: I never even thought about that. When you see speckled eggs that maybe look like granite, Yeah, are those carbon copies of each other every time, or are the speckles in different places.
Speaker 4: I used to think that it probably was. There was probably a lot of variation that was genetically based. It may very well be that most of it's just randomly involved with how fast they're passing through the kloaca at the time, and you know when they come out. It's literally just something different every time, and the birds can imprint on it and then find it the next time.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's so fascinating. Also fascinating, of course how people treat and eat their eggs all over the globe. I'm told that also you don't have to refrigerate eggs in Europe. You just leave your eggs on the counter. Those Europeans, I know, they leave their butter on the counter. They have healthcare. They're crazy. Egg suppliers. In the US and Australia and Japan and Scandinavia, they give their eggs a little rub, a dub dub bath with some soap and water, and then that removes this protective cuticle that prevents bacteria from getting into any hairline cracks. But in other parts of the world, eggs are not washed and the chickens are just vaccinated for salmonella. So sure there might be some poop on them, but you don't need an eggshelf in your fridge.
Speaker 4: No, I mean, I bet I. When I was working in Brazil the first time, people used to leave mayonnaise and refrigerated out in the forest.
Speaker 1: Oh hell no.
Speaker 4: And after a while I started eating it. It was fine.
Speaker 1: Did you lose a lot of weight just because you were constantly sick?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Really? Now, speaking of salmonilla, is that something that you worry about?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 3: Is that now?
Speaker 1: Salmonilla it comes maybe from an infected bird, It comes right down down the old poop shoot, and then you need to wash the eggs to avoid the salmonilla, right, Yeah, And I.
Speaker 4: Think that that That's one thing that's kind of amazing about industry is how well they're able to actually keep those things from being issues, because they really I mean, when there's a salmonilla outbreak these days, it's kind of stunning how quickly we know about it, and how quickly in most cases they figure out exactly where they come from.
Speaker 1: I know, isn't it crazy? Yes, salmonilla I just found this out. Is the same genus and bacteria that causes typhoid fever, and of course just a whole bunch of food poisoning. Now it can get on the eggs when it passes through the oviduct of a chicken, or in the egg as it's forming. Now, not all chickens have salmonilla, and some will show signs like lethargy if they do have it. Now, before you go hatching a crate of fertilized eggs, do know. It turns out the backyard chickens, if they have salmonilla, can pass it along, especially as the CDC warns if there has been snuggling of the chicken and salmonilla poisoning does land folks in the hospital or a can be fatal. So don't go licking a bunch of chickens or eating raw eggs or poultry. Ironically, eating raw salmon seems to be fine, but that's because the name salmonilla was derived from one doctor Edgar Elmer Salmon, a veterinary surgeon for whom it was named.
Speaker 2: Here, doctor Salmon, we have bestowed you with a legacy for generations. A very confusing fish sounding disease of the chicken butt that scares people away from cookie dough also if you're like a real cookie dough trollop like myself, just go ahead and make it with pasteurized eggs. Feel free to eat the whole bowl. Does anything in John's work cause him to eat entire salad bowls filled with raw cookies?
Speaker 3: What is the.
Speaker 1: Most annoying thing about eggs or your job?
Speaker 4: Well, with eggs, I would say it's, uh, keeping track of them. So so you have a clutch, but you have four or five eggs in that clutch, and so you've got to figure out you know, they number them all and so you just got to be careful with respect to getting things mixed up and things and then you don't have anything else to go on if things do get mixed up.
Speaker 1: Oof. Yeah, that's true. I mean you can't put a little number on them, or they do.
Speaker 4: Put little numbers on them. But let's say there are a bunch of little numbers and they were put on a one hundred and twenty years ago. It's possible that you could have a hard time deciphering what was what was done.
Speaker 1: Do you find that the notes are like very poetically descriptive more so than they would be these days?
Speaker 2: Not?
Speaker 4: Really, it's the more what's beautiful about them is a different handwriting. Oh, people had so much better handwriting.
Speaker 1: I did notice this when I was looking through and swooning over some field note calligraphy among the vintage eggstacs. I mean that font a good handwriting.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: I wonder what would do you think he was amateur?
Speaker 4: Do you think he was pro he was an amateur?
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 4: Yeah, all these guys were amateurs. Almost all the egg collecting was done by amateurs. That's really amazing.
Speaker 1: Wow, and they call themselves oologists. Yeah, and yet you've edited a book about X yep.
Speaker 4: And I'm not calling myself on the loss.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah.
Speaker 3: It's just pathologically.
Speaker 4: Humble, just beautiful, cursive and things in ways that nobody would do today.
Speaker 1: God, we got to get back into that. I feel like, you know, because those are the original fonts.
Speaker 4: Maybe they'll make some computer programs that'll do it, and I can actually effectively do some of that, but it's not going to be me by handwriting.
Speaker 1: He's so funny. Field biologists had to take like Fountain pen courses, you know, like, we got to keep it up, guys.
Speaker 4: There's no doubt that one of the things we should do is take printing courses, and I'm exhibit a of somebody who is not good at that. And I have a immense amount of respect for my colleagues that actually write impeccable scientific field notes and labels and things.
Speaker 1: I'm looking at some handwriting you have over here.
Speaker 4: No, I got not bad. I could tell you stories. Let us write this for you.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's one way to get out of doing work. That's like someone asked you to do the dishes, so you break a dish. You never get asked to do the dishes again.
Speaker 4: Except in this case. It's like, I really wish I.
Speaker 3: Could do it.
Speaker 1: Well, I can't type, So you can learn to print, and I'll learn how to type. What do you love the most about eggs?
Speaker 4: I mean just that there's such an important part of the biology of birds. I think that's the most interesting thing to me. And the other thing is that, actually, with all the birds in this world, and there are some ten thousand, eight hundred species, we probably don't know anything about the eggs of upwards of thirty to forty percent of the species. Maybe that's crazy, It is kind of interesting. So there's a lot we don't know about eggs.
Speaker 1: There's so many mysteries. And what about your job. What's your favorite thing about your job?
Speaker 4: Well, my favorite thing about my job is learning new things and getting to work with a group of organisms that I love and really kind of getting paid for my to do my avocation.
Speaker 1: So you're a professional bird nerd.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 1: I mean that's the dream for a burder is to be like you get that's like making the major leagues.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, you know what I mean. I tell I tell students that that I you know, I started out wanting to be a I was a pre med and I took a cell biology course and I realized, really, somebody might pay me to actually study birds the rest of my life.
Speaker 1: So you're like veering off.
Speaker 4: It was it was an easy veer.
Speaker 1: Now, if you would have told yourself a young birder that you would get to do this for a living, would you have just been so stoked?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I mean I grew up my dad was a birdwatcher and a very active birdwatcher, and I actually started burning because my brother was four years older, and I realized, if I wanted to spend any time with the two of them, I've better learned something about birds.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 4: So That's how I got interested in it, and I just even back then, I fell in love with the idea of being able to study birds up close and in those you know, in that kind of way.
Speaker 1: And now you get to study them every day yep, and things that come out of them yep, inside him, yeah, and things that you know that last like that. Well, I think that your only job left is to come to terms with the fact that you're an oologist. I think you need to accept that.
Speaker 4: To see I could put that on my door and on my cards and stuff. That's just not going to happen.
Speaker 1: There's imposter syndrome is everywhere. I like, I don't know if I know enough. And you're like, you wrote a book about eggs, what more do you want? You manage collection of one hundred thousand eggs?
Speaker 4: But I think that that the notion of yeah, I mean, how many ologists can you actually be? So, so at what point in time will you answer? You know, because I want to be an ornithologist. I like the fact that I study birds, right, you.
Speaker 1: Can be more than one. I'm Italian, I'm also English, you know what I mean, And you could be all kinds of things. So you I mean I live in La everyone's a hyphenate yoga instructor, actor, life coach, so I hereby proclaimed that you're an oologist.
Speaker 4: Fair enough.
Speaker 1: Yay, thank you so much for doing this was so fun, my pleasure. I could ask you a million egg questions all day.
Speaker 4: You'll have to come back and taculate.
Speaker 3: Hologya which is you?
Speaker 1: So once again, doctor John Bates of the wonderful Field Museum of Chicago. Now, if you like this podcast and the Field Museum, you should definitely check out if you haven't already, the Brain Scoop, which is the Field Museum's web series hosted by the amazing Emily Grasley. She is a wonderful person and a great science communicator, so you might enjoy those. Also, those videos are family friendly, so you can watch those with your kids all you want. Now again, John was an editor alongside Barbara Becker, of the Book of Eggs, a life sized guide to the eggs of six hundred of the world's bird species, written by Mark E. Hauber and available through Chicago University Press. Now warning, do you want to say this book is gorgeous and if you see it you will want to purchase it. Treat you out now. While you're at it, ologiesmerch dot Com has you covered in terms of hats and backpacks and tots and sweatshirts, baby onesies. Thank you Bonnie Dutch and Shannon Feltis for managing that. Also, thank you to the patrons who support the podcast for as little as twenty five cents an episode for making this happen. Thanks Aaron Talbert for keeping the Facebook group the Ologies podcast group fun and cool, full of curious non jerks. And thanks as always to Dinosaur egg Baby Stephen Ray Morris for editing Ologies all together every week. The theme song was written and performed by Nick Thorburn and at the end of the episode, after the credits, you know, I tell a secret, and this week my secret is. These asides aren't that long, but it has taken me almost double the amount of time to record them because I keep starting one and then messing up a word and having to start over. And I think it's because I'm recording this in my closet and it's a thousand degrees. But this has been the one of probably the most tongue tied episode I've ever had. I cannot figure it out. I'm just like I have the thank you for making it this far. I am about to collapse from heat on my computer. Oh my god, Bree, bye pacadermantology, hommeiology or do zoology, lithology, yeah, technology, meteorology, paratology, apology, seriologyology.
Speaker 4: Hey, maybe I hear the blues and call in toss salads and scrambled eggs, and maybe I seem have been confused. Yeah maybe, but I got you fagged. But I don't know what isn't with the tot nalads and scramble a