Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company.
Speaker 2: Fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety Holy.
Speaker 3: Crap, I don't know who the hell we think when we are.
Speaker 4: Get off our show, idiots, the kids are crying or turn off your countures are.
Speaker 1: Screwing it up. Gold Play inter Murals, Brother, gold Play inn Murals. They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not. Who's the kid here? Who's the kid here? Are you kidding me? Now? Here's nick coffee?
Speaker 3: You know. I like to think over the years, you guys have been able to learn about me, and I don't know how interesting I am, but if you've been listening loyally, then thank you. But I learned about some of you guys today, and that is that some of you guys are really childish, really perverted. To be honest with you, your mother would be ashamed, I think, because.
Speaker 5: That boat has sailed for me. Really, yeah, she'd be proud, I think. So maybe she's just a good liar.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean she should be proud. If not, I'll talk to her, Yeah, because I please talk to my mom. Nobody nobody can can guess up the fellas quite quite like me. But anyways, I throw it out just being open and honest. I'm all about transparency. I mean, I'm I'm gonna rans what, I'm gonna open book. In fact, I talked about the trends in sports, uh topic today on news radio eight forty. A lot of Trump's guy Trump getting Trump making it clear he doesn't want people that were born a man playing in women's sports. Also, there's an egg shortage going on Guantanamo Bay. I mean I was, I was a hard hitting newsman earlier. Now I get to talk sports, which I love doing it. Yeah, But but you know, we got a serious situation going on here because you know, I mentioned that I've been thinking about Chucky Hepburn's growing all day. It's been on my mind, and you know, here I am just concerned about a star player for Louisville that has helped this program get back going in the right direction. Right. He's been instrumental. You're talking about Chucky. He would never Chucky is, without questioning, the best player on this team. He has been the most important piece to this team. And Pat Kelcey, you know, he's running the show and it's his revival, but his key piece is the one and only Chucky Hepburn, who is one of the best point guards in the country. And I don't know if this is all for nothing, but let's just lay it out. So last night, Louisville wins, and I haven't given much thought about the game itself, just because of the of the worry. And I'll admit it, hands up, like I have no clue if he's dealing with something, if it was more just I mean, I'm gonna lay out the facts, but I also don't want people to think that my worry is in any way like me just not saying something because I'm not supposed to. But I have any kind of information. I don't know nothing. I don't know if anybody really knows what's going on with him. But Louisville clearly would be a much different team without Chucky Hepburn. And they've had already a lot of injuries that we've kind of been able to forget about because they've played well and kind of rounded into form and really became a different version of themselves without Corn Johnson, without Case and Pryor so to know, you've already had the bad luck with injuries. Hopefully that that bad energy with injuries is gone, but we shall see. But let's let's just back it up for those that maybe weren't locked in last night, and if you weren't totally get it at place was empty. I have never watched a Louisville basketball game on the road that was more empty than that arena last night. In fact, I think it looked worse than when Louisville had empty seats at the um Center many many many games during the Kenny Paine era. So Louisville wins big, they put they put it on him in second half and actually ended up playing better well, I think they they kind of locked in and and in no way would anybody claim that Louisville's a better team without Chucky hepburn, that's nonsense. But when he went out and didn't come back in, that's when Louisville really put together a couple of big runs to kind of bury this Boston College team. And they go on and again win without without much trouble at all. But about let's see, let me see if I can, if I can see how much time was left in the game when this happened. It was early ish in the second half, and and Chucky ends up going out and without watching closely, I initially thought that he got hit in his private parts, right, he got hit in get in the nuts, That's what I thought. And if you are a man, you know what that's like. I mean, even if you're not a man and you're a woman, you probably you know, maybe you're I'm sure you have friends your husband like you. You know, it's something that will really you know, it'll it'll get and you need to kind of go recover kind of. You know, I don't know if it's walking off or what it is, but like I thought, he just accidentally took like an inadvertent hand or knee or foot something to the groin and he just needed to go to the bench because you know, got to walk it off, shake it off, whatever it may be. And he didn't seem like he was really bothered. And then you know, he seemed to be kind of like laughing on the bench, and he stayed on the bench and he cheered on his teammates as they put together a really good run and of course, you know, buried that Boston College team and they didn't need Chucky to come back in the game. But two things that have since, you know, worried me, and I don't know if I'd be as worried if it wasn't for the fact that, you know, Chucky's the most important piece to this team and we already have had two injuries and that doesn't really have anything to do with this. I mean, this is months later and I don't think any of these injuries have I mean, they're not related by any means. It's just bad luck. So the worry is that we found out after the game that he he didn't come back in. But it was not because it wasn't because they just wanted to rest him, and it wasn't because of you know, precautionary stuff. He didn't come back in because Pat Kelsey told us that the medical staff, the trainers, whoever it was, told him that that Chucky is unavailable, like he's not he's not cleared to go back in because of whatever it is he's dealing with that that had him come out of the game. I don't have any update. Well, we'll know more tomorrow that just.
Speaker 4: To clarify on Chucky, could he have come back in when he came back to the bench, he was still wearing his uniform.
Speaker 2: Was that a decision? You made or was he not.
Speaker 4: I was told by the medical people that he couldn't return.
Speaker 5: Okay, they said questionable.
Speaker 4: So I just you were up by a decent amount at that point. So I just didn't know if there is there a body part, even a sign.
Speaker 3: I'm not the medical guy, so there's no more more tomorrow when I don't.
Speaker 2: Know, I don't know. The game just ended.
Speaker 3: I didn't know a lot of a lot of time to talk with the medical people yet, so I mentioned to start the show. I learned about some of you guys today that instead of just realizing I'm concerned about our star player that of course has been a big piece to this fun season we've had so far, and I'm thinking about it's growing, hoping it's okay. You guys were just perps about it. So again I learned that about you guys, and we're also learning about Pat Kelsey in his first year, and I think, deep down that was just the honest truth. I think he absolutely was just telling you the facts that he was told by the training staff that CHUCKI could not go, he wasn't cleared to play, and he didn't get any kind of update because you know, he was trying to finish the game. So I think that's the truth. But because of my worry and because I know how big of a hit it would be for this team if in fact, he is hurt and maybe misses some time, I'm overthinking it, right. I think it was an honest answer, but I'm thinking, get okay. That voice sounds like a voice of concern. It sounds like he's worried. And if he is worried, that that's, I mean, makes total sense. He should be worried. It's a star player. So I have no clue if that's just I mean, it could have been. Maybe if Chucky came back in and played and finished strong, and he was asked and he was asked about and he knew Chucky was healthy and he was asked about it, maybe he would say the same thing. I don't know. I don't I have no clue. But I also heard his radio interview that he did after the game with Bob Bobono, and again he said really the same thing. But because I am someone who is paranoid and I worry more than I ever should about everything in life, I worry about everything. That's just an issue. I got to get better at but it kind of still sounded like maybe he was worried. And again, that's all normal, right, I just want to know what's the status with Chucky and we haven't heard anything just yet. There will be a press conference tomorrow. Kelsey's media availability will be I believe around. Let's see. I know we got an email earlier about it from U of L sid the Lovely Dana Brown and uh yeah, Pat Kelsey's gonna talk tomorrow at eleven am. So he'll be asked and we may not get any kind of an answer. He may say, look, he's he's he's a little sore. They're dealing with it. I'm not sure what's because coaches can always do what Kelsey does, even if they just want to use it as an excuse. I think he's just giving you the honest truth. But when it comes to injuries, you can always just say, hey, I know they're trying to get him back healthy. I'm not exactly sure what the exact issue is because I'm not a doctor that kind of stuff. Like again, you can, you could do that if you want, And maybe some people would say, hey, that's weak. You know more, why don't you tell us what they don't have to. And really, as much as I would love to know, because I'm you know, it's my I would love to know if my team's gonna be okay or not, it's not really our business, to be honest with you. So anyways, that's where we are. And I'm not gonna make it the entire S show today because that wouldn't be any fun. I want to have some fun. But to see the replay, you can tell this was a non contact thing that kind of tripped him up. And he, I mean he he kind of stopped in his tracks and and couldn't really do anything. And then he went back to the locker room briefly and then came back out and seemed to be in good spirits. I mean he he was cheering on his teammates. At some point he cracked a smile, a little bit of a laugh. I don't know if maybe the fellows on the on the on the bench were giving him a hard time because maybe they thought also that he got hit in the in the you know what. But no contact at all, and just it just seems like kind of like a freak type of thing. And it may be absolutely nothing, but you can't you can't be surprised that that that myself and other Louisville fans are are thinking about it. Austin, go look at the video that I just posted on on my Twitter, and again, we're not we're not doctors. We're not we're not trained. And by the way, even if you are a doctor, I don't even know if you'd be able to look at.
Speaker 5: That and know I'm not a holiday and express last night either.
Speaker 3: But just the non contact part of it, and to see that it kind of I mean, it'd be different if he fell over and was in pain. It wasn't that, but something happened and it kind of you can tell scared him and he didn't even attempt to run back on defense or anything like that, and that has me worried. But again I guess in fact, I know, here's what I do know. Worrying about it isn't going to change anything. But I'm having a hard time not worrying about it because the loss to Georgia Tech gets stunk, right. Nobody wants to lose at all, and you know that you're a better team than Georgia Tech, and you just you know they got you. So last night I thought Louisville actually came out worse in the game against Boston College than they did against Georgia Tech. Now, they they made a lot of shots, and clearly they ended up putting together overall a pretty good performance and they were able to kind of run away with it. Again. You won eighty four to fifty eight eight in a game that really honestly could have been worse. I mean, Louisville was missing some shots there towards the end. They were only one of seven in their last eight shots, so or yeah, they only they only made one of their last seven shots, I should say. So watching them last night and then having that worry about Chucky, it just kind of made me think back to how fun the season has been, especially once they got rolling in January, and you know, the last night evening. To me, Chucky even last night before he went out, was already was having a good game. Was five of ten from the floor to a four from three point range, had a few assists, and you know, didn't have a single turnover. I mean, he's one of the best point guards in the country. We all know that, and it's been a hell of a ride watching him play. And I hope we get to watch him play on Saturday whenever they host Miami. And again, this could all be for nothing. Maybe maybe we find out soon, maybe we find out tomorrow. Oh he's fine, no big deal, he'd be He's good to go. They just wanted to They just wanted to hold him out and see if in fact, you know, they didn't want to have him out there. And I don't. And that's where we need to reach out to our friends doctor Ben's and doctor macroy, because they could they could educate us and help us when it comes to these kind of things. If it is a groin strain, which I've seen some speculating that that's what they think it is. And again we're talking about people who you know, want to play doctor on the internet. And I don't say that to poke fun because look, I'm doing the same thing. I have no clue, but I'm just trying to figure out what it might what it might be, and it you know, what do I know, but that that is the type of injury given what we saw, that I could see being something that might happen, and that, you know, a groin strain, it sounds like can be can be mild, can be pretty severe. But it can certainly linger. I mean, groin injuries are are tricky because you can you can you can linger, you can play on it, or you can have surgery. But obviously having surgery would put you on the shelf and you wouldn't be able to play for a long time. So who knows. And I already feel like I've I've given too much time even talking about it. But it's a big deal. I mean, totally different vibe for me last night when I hear Pat say in the press conference that he was told by the medical staff that Chucky couldn't come back in So we shall, we shall see, but I will I will mention. I mean, this is something I mentioned on the on the show this morning. On has I would say that if they knew that they had something bad, we would know by now, like meaning if it was like severe to where he can't play anymore, he's out for the year, he's going to require surgery. Uh, And I look, you never know, but just the overall demeanor of him made it seem as if he wasn't like in pain, and he was in good spirits. He didn't seem overly concerned. But he may not know what the issue is and again you got to keep in mind when he when he got hurt. However, it happened that no contact situation to where they stopped play and he walked to the bench, you know, it stopped him in his tracks and he couldn't He didn't run like he just he kind of gingerly walked over to the bench. And and and that's that's all we saw.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, like I said, we're not we're not doctors, but.
Speaker 6: Just played on the radio, right it it looks like some sort of some sort of groin pool or something. And like you see him like I mean, he finishes the layup in that layup. It was nice lay up, by the way, it is very nice layup. Nice little lay Yeah, and then like kind of goes back to look like he's gonna get in position for a rebound. That's when he feels it so rather than kind of one like he's splitting his legs to try to set his foot so he can get in position for a rebound. That's when it felt it. Seeing it live, I thought maybe he might see nothing. When I saw it live, right, I thought if anything. Once he came down, I thought, oh, he probably got punched down there and just watching Holly. He wasn't touched it, just only when he tried the quick action move to get him positioned for a rebound. That's when he seemed to react to it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, there's been like no indication from anybody. And this is where I get to really overthinking it because I also have wondered throughout the day if they knew it wasn't serious. Don't you think because they know how much we love him meeting this team, that they give us some kind of a hint that everything's going to be okay. Just tell us everything's going to be okay. That's all we want to hear. But they may not know if everything's going to be okay, and that's I mean, that's that's part of the process here. Maybe they're going to get some imaging done today and figure it out. But we'll find out, well, I know, I don't.
Speaker 5: We won't.
Speaker 3: I mean, we may not find out anything because again, Patt will talk tomorrow in the morning, but he may not have any update. And even if he does, he may choose to kind of just keep that between Chucky and the medical staff, the trainers, because you know, he has every right to do that. So anyways, it's coffee and Company. We are fueled by Thornton's. I'll try to lift the spirits for the rest of the show today because you know, I don't want to be sad. We want to bring the good energy. Or almost to the end of the week. We got the super Bowl coming up here in a few days, and I hope Chucky's Growing's okay. It's coffee and Company again. We are fuel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 2: Ninety there's a message in the way now back to coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety eight.
Speaker 1: How that's what I become.
Speaker 7: And it looks like I'm losing this fight in your world. I mean, so I'm trying not to understand, and it's.
Speaker 1: My heart that's working down this long.
Speaker 7: Distance slides and night.
Speaker 3: The song is great. I mean, there's a lot of people in life that I miss that are no longer with us, just people I haven't seen in a while. And there's nobody that really comes to mind when I hear this song. But I feel it, you know what I.
Speaker 6: Mean, Like, I, yeah, who is this? This is John Waite he's gonna be at Bourbonham beyond this year. Well he means it when he says he's missing. You know, this song reminds me of And here's what's crazy, because this is one of those things that.
Speaker 3: I wish it wasn't the case. I don't want to think of this movie because it's a great movie, but like it just it's weird.
Speaker 5: Okay, But the scene with.
Speaker 3: Jonah Hill and the who's the hunk guy that's in like the Terrible Actor, but he's in a lot of stuff. Channing Tatum, Yes, twenty second or twenty second Jump Street that came out a long time ago.
Speaker 5: To the second one or the first one?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know which. I don't I don't remember. Like there's two of them, and they're both actually really good.
Speaker 5: I don't think I've watched the second one, but watched the first one.
Speaker 3: The second one is the one that has ice Cube in it, right?
Speaker 5: Or is he in the first one?
Speaker 8: He's in the first one too, Okay, he's he's like the guy that they report to. Okay, because yeah, and you're right, I guess he is in both of them. But uh, that movie is I mean, it's one of those kind of stupid comedies that like, I can't tell you manute it's a great movie, but like it's like the perfect level of funny.
Speaker 5: Yeah good kind of buddy cop movie.
Speaker 3: It's a really really good, a really good era there for Jonah Hill. I mean, he's still very talented. And yeah, didn't he kind of get canceled because he was mean to his girlfriend or something?
Speaker 5: Did any Oh? I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean I shouldn't say kind of get but like I think, uh, he made a comment about like his girlfriend's appearance, and it was very heavy in the in the when everybody was getting canceled for for anything.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, cancel culture.
Speaker 3: But whenever, whenever, Channing Tatum like decides he's not gonna just stay undercover. He's gonna actually try to live the life of being a college football player. And he's partying with the boys, and uh, they kind of break up Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill do in the movie, okay, and Jonah Hill's kind of just walking around without his partner. There used to be detectives together, and now he's he's by himself and they're playing that song and it's just it's again. It's a perfect stupid funny really works with me. I guess it speaks to ye my stupidity. But yeah, good, Yeah, there was so twenty one Jump Street came out in twenty twelve, and then they did twenty second Jump Street in twenty fourteen, rare comedies that actually, you know, both of them were good and in fact a lot of I mean, I this is good timing here, because I don't remember what how Oh yeah, we were talking this morning on the on the on the Morning Show on HAS that Justin Thomas is going to be in Happy Gilmore too, and I love Happy Gilmore so much that I have a little bit of like a fear that, like, don't do anything to change how I feel about my favorite movie potentially of all time. And I'm trying to it because I'm gonna watch it, but I'm trying to just accept the fact that, like it's not what this is. You know, they're going to have some fun, It'll probably be okay, but like, just if I go in trying to compare it to the first one that I'm I'm I'm going to automatically be disappointed.
Speaker 5: Yeah you can't do Yeah.
Speaker 3: So anyways, we brought up the whole topic about how often do you need equals in comedy movies? And it's rare, so a lot of sequels, and if there's a third movie or a fourth it's usually like an action movie or like a Marvel kind of thing. What's the other one, Marvel and d Yeah, DC and Marvel. I definitely missed out on that. I'm in the minority because I know those are super popular movies and whatnot, but I just I don't.
Speaker 5: See kind of sucks Marvels always going to be the king.
Speaker 3: I know nothing about it. I just know that those are really really like when they when they make one of those movies and they put it in theaters, they make a lot of money.
Speaker 5: See like the DC and like the like the Superman and like the Flash movies. Those are all d C.
Speaker 6: And those aren't the ones that are like very highly regarded, like the ones with the Avengers.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and like Iron Man and Captain America and Black Panther. That's all Marvel and they seem to be more cinematic.
Speaker 3: Yes, And those are the ones that like clearly are insanely popular. So the other like comedies that have that have that have had a second movie that you feel like, okay, not only was it worth doing it, that one was just as good, maybe better than this than the first one. And this one, this is kind of the number There was a listener that sent in a link that showed all these comedies that had a sequel, and the number one on this ranker list was a movie that I oftentimes forget it is considered it it is a sequel, but it's but because of the whole the whole thing, like it's kind of it's just different. And that's the National Lampoon's Vacation movies because the original Vaker, the original vacation was I don't remember which one it was, but was that when they go to Europe maybe, And then of course there was Christmas Vacation, but that's kind of like its own movie, but technically it was the second movie that had the family, the Griswolds, right, So that one, I mean, that's one of the best movies of all time, Christmas Vacation. So there's that one. And then I don't know if I totally agree, but the second Austin Powers, like that was good, but I'm not sure if I would say that like it's as good as the first. But still it was a good movie. It was rather popular.
Speaker 5: And then.
Speaker 3: This is something that I didn't even realize until this morning. I don't think I've ever seen the original Bad Boys Like Bad Boys Too is really when it kind of became a thing for me, and I think, and I think Bad Boys Too is the better movie of all of them. I mean, that's that's a classic movie.
Speaker 5: Rush Hour two is just as good as the first one that.
Speaker 3: Was on the that was on the that was on the list as well. And then I feel like there.
Speaker 5: Was dumb and Dumbers who sucked ye, the first.
Speaker 3: One, so and that was and that that was the example I used this morning when talking about it, because they did a they did a dumb and dumber err if you remember Bob Bob Saggett was in it. They did a dumb and Dumber without uh, without Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels, and it was really stupid but kind of like stupid funny. And I remember watching it and thinking like, all right, well, they're not trying to like make me think that this is the same thing. They're just you know, kind of doing their own version of it. And you know, expectations were kind of low it was stupid funny, and Bob Saggitt was actually really funny in it. And uh, then they later did the actual second movie with those two guys, and You're right, like there was some nostalgia that I had a few laughs, because you know, those two guys are really funny, But I remember not feeling any different about the original Dumb and Dumber after watching the second one that they did like twenty years later. So I'm hopeful that that's the same thing that happens here with with Happy Gilmore too, because the three movies that I feel like I can I've probably watched them more than any movies, and it's not even close, these three, And I don't know if I could actually recite them word for word. In fact, I know I can't word for word. But if there was a movie where I could give you word, I could give you, you know, I could tell you what they're gonna say more than any other movie, it would be it would be these three. Mostly Happy Gilmore though, but there's Happy Gilmore, Dumb and Dummer, and Tommy Boy, Like, those were the three movies. I had them on VHS when I was a kid in the nineties, and I watched them religiously really really good stuff, and then this is actually, this isn't a sequel, and this may be before your time. Like you if you have, if you've seen Tommy Boy with Chris Barley, Okay, yes it's been a while, yes, because you know that's where the age difference between us could get it, because I was like, when that movie became really really popular, you were probably barely even born. So they also did another movie with Chris Farley and David Spade called Black Sheep, and it was an entirely different movie, entirely different characters, meaning like who they played, Like it wasn't the Callahans but the but it was still but it was it was basically the same thing. Like I don't know how you would. I don't think you can get away with that now. But yeah, both movies were good. I think Tommy Boy was better than Black Sheep, but it was like they were the same. Like, for example, in King of Queens and in Seinfeld, Ben Steeler's dad Jerry Stiller, he's kind of the same guy when he's George Costanza's dad and when he's yeah, when he's arth there, like that's a very similar character Chris Farley was the same guy essentially in Black Sheep and Tommy Boy, and David Spade was the same guy in both those movies, but it was an entirely different story and you know, different. So I feel like we were really dumb to eat that up because those two movies were both really successful. They came out around the same time, and I don't know. I guess it's not uncommon for two people to do movies, multiple movies together. I mean, that's really not that not that uncommon at all.
Speaker 6: But they have Beverly Hill's Ninja too. Do you remember that one? Am I thinking of the right one?
Speaker 3: Beverly Hills Ninja?
Speaker 5: I might? I might, I might be getting it wrong, But isn't that it's I'm trying to think of the.
Speaker 3: Beverly Hills Ninja was easily the stupidest movie ever from Chris Farley, and I don't remember if they did a second one, Okay, I.
Speaker 6: Remember, well, I yeah, I know that well. I didn't even know if that was a trilogy series or not, or a sequel series, But for whatever reason, I remember watching that as a kid and just dying laughing the whole time. I don't know why but maybe maybe that appealed to me. I didn't know the story or anything else.
Speaker 3: It's stupid, funny and in some.
Speaker 5: Point playing and I love that was come, I love that song.
Speaker 3: That's a good movie, man, that's a good movie. I mean it's stupid, but it's a good movie. And when I say it's the worst movie of Chris Farley, like I'm setting, I mean, I don't. I mean, how many movies did he actually do where you felt like he was a part of it, Like Let's see Beverly Hills, Ninja. Let me see if I can go to his his uh, his catalog here, because he was he was mostly popular from the hit movies that we've already discussed and also on Saturday Night Live. But as far as the movies where they made a movie and he was the main character, I don't really feel like there there was there was a whole lot.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So he was in Let's see Tom, He was in Billy Madison is the is the bus Driver?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 3: He was also Officer Wilson in Airheads, which I love that movie. You need to watch Airheads as a radio guy and somebody that I think would appreciate like it's early. I mean both both both Let's see who else Adam Saydlor's in it, but he's not anywhere near I mean, you think he's brand new to SNL sort of at that time. So he was in Wayne's world, but it had minor role. So really the the the movies where he was kind of the star, it was it was Tommy Boy in Black Sheep, Beverly Hills, Ninja, and then I don't remember almost heroes. I think they. I think it was one of his last roles and he had a minor role and whatnot. But yeah, do you want to hear when we take you back to a traumatic moment in my childhood talk about it. Do you want to know how I found out that he died Chris Farley? Yeah, because I was I thought he was the funniest guy in the world. Again, I was obsessed with Tommy Boy, but when he passed away, I was Let's see how old was I. That was in nineteen ninety seven, so I was nine years old when he died. And we were at the Winn Dixie, which they used to have wind dixiees around here.
Speaker 5: Did you know that that's right before Kroger.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So when Dixie that we were checking out at the grocery store, me and my mother, and I think my sister was there too, And I remember those magazines that do they still make the magazines like the like the newspaper type magazines that would be at the checkout that would be like the Tabloid.
Speaker 2: News and all that.
Speaker 3: So like the TMZ put them out of business, like the National Inquirer like all that stuff.
Speaker 5: Like he's like a star magazine, like all these.
Speaker 3: Salacious headlines about these celebrities, and like even as a young kid, I remember reading things and thinking, there's no way that's true, Like, there's no way that that's real. So I remember one of those magazines had the picture of him laying dead in a hotel on you couldn't see his face and it wasn't graphic, but on the cover, and I remember seeing that it said Chris Farley, and I asked my mom and she was looked at me like we got it. We got to talk about that, and I'm like, what's going on? What happened? So yeah, I was very very sad because I it's kind of tragic. Oh dude, it was. It was, And there have been some really sad sad uh sad deaths with people who were legendary comedians and especially some SNL folks that that were great. And then you know, I mean Robin Williams, like that was the one of the saddest things ever. I mean, I don't know, I'm not making in the SNL connection there, but just I'm thinking of comedians who made so many people laugh, brought so much happiness to and really, I guess could be an escape for somebody that's going through tough times in their life. They can watch their movies, watch their comedy and just enjoy it. And you never really know what people are going through. And obviously Chris Farley had had some personal demons and uh, you know, he gosh, it's been not only is it crazy to me to think that that he's been gone that long, but also he was only thirty three, like he was he was four years he was roughly four years younger than I am now when he passed away, two years older than I am. Yeah, that's crazy.
Speaker 7: Too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then I cannot think of the guy's name. He wasn't like a big time a lister, but he was funny, had a great run on SNL. A known celebrity who who took his own life, and you know, just tragic, really tragic stuff. Anyways, let's get back to the reason we're on the air today that he's growing. Yeah, Chuck, he's growing. So somebody he wrote this on the text line and said the Chucky Grun situation has distracted us from Boston College's coach being a little baby after the game. So we didn't get any indication at least I didn't hear as to what was said by Earl Grant in the handshake line. You know, it looked as if Pat Kelsey was trying to have some dialogue and there was going to be no dialogue, and Earl Grant just had something to say and then he walked off. Don't know what it was, but if he was upset about something, it would have to be that Louisville didn't put in the walk ons at the end of the game. I mean two things. One, if you don't want to get blown out and you don't want to get embarrassed, then you know, maybe don't suck. I mean, he's going to be out of a job after this year unless Boston College doesn't care, and I don't think they do care about basketball. I mean you see that. I mean they, by the way, they've never really cared. I was at their arena when Louisville played there five years ago, and I mean I've never been to a more lifeless acc environment. And nobody cares about Boston College sports really in Boston, which is kind of sad. So if there's ever a team that's gonna get kicked out, some would say, well, no, they've got the Boston market.
Speaker 5: No, they don't.
Speaker 3: Like. Boston University and Harvard get more love and more attention in Boston than Boston College. From from from what I could tell when I was there on two different occasions, some.
Speaker 5: Market it's a great place to I don't know if you've had that before.
Speaker 3: I have it as good. So my guess is that he just didn't like that that Louisville kept the starters in and they stayed aggressive. And again, like if you don't it's one thing to try to embarrass your opponent, like like, and I don't think Pat Kelsey was trying to do that at all, But we're in a world now where you have to beat really bad Like to be honest with you, if if Boston College wasn't the very worst team in the ACC, then there wouldn't have been such a need for Louisville to win by such a big margin and kind of keep their foot on the gas. I mean they did put it. I mean, it wasn't like they were out there literally pressing and trying to run up the score, but they just stayed locked in for all forty minutes and you know, tried to compete to the end and win by as much as possible. And that's because Boston College is a team that when that thing tipped off yesterday, they were ranked two hundred and fifteenth in the net. Louisville has to beat those teams really bad in order to have any potential positive movement with these metrics. So, I mean, that's just how it is. Like it's not personal, and Louisville jumped up one spot after beating a conference opponent on the road by more than twenty points. I mean, again, that just speaks to where the ACC is. So really all of it is is Earl Grant in Boston College's fault, if in fact that's what he was upset about. Somebody told me that they thought maybe maybe Pat was asking about the injury to the Boston College player. There was I think it was a second leading score for Boston College that did not play because he was dealing with an injury. Somebody thought that maybe Pat was asking about that, and then Earl Grant answered and gave him, I guess, not a good update about the injury. But I've since been told that that wasn't what was said. But again I'm the only speculation, and again it's just speculation to me, is that he didn't like that Louisville was shooting threes and really competing to the very end of the game. And I don't know if there's like a history there, but I will admit I totally forgot this. This was something that was talked about in Charlotte a the ACC basketball media days, but Earl Grant was at Charleston before Pat Kelsey. I totally forgot about that. So I don't think there's I mean, again, they weren't on each other's staff. It wasn't like Pat got the Charleston job because well, I don't know. Maybe they did work together now that I look at it, because obviously Pat Kelsey was at Winthrop as a head coach and then he became the head coach at Charleston, So I don't know, maybe they do have like an actual connection. I know they're familiar with one another, and obviously Pat Kelsey took over for Earl Grant when he got the Boston College job in twenty twenty one. But usually when you know you go through a transition, there's really it's not like you know you're gonna hang out for a few hang out for a couple of weeks help you get settled in on the new job. Like that's not really how it works at all. So yeah, I mean, look, Earl Grant is not a good coach. Maybe he is, though, and he just does have Boston College like that could be it. I don't think there's really anything out there that would tell you that he's a phenomenal coach. But nonetheless, I mean, I don't know if, even if you are a good coach, if you could win at Boston College with the resources they have. I mean, they wear new balance. Sorry Jack Harlow, but like new balance, that's not a mean. New balance can can be stylish. I have some new balances myself. But like when we're talking sneaker wars in college basketball, we're talking Nike. Indeed, is in maybe a little bit of under armour. Yep, new balance is not is not not a player in the game, and that's their apparel brand. So anyways, and Pat was a lot better at Charleston than Earrol Grant was, so like, maybe he has some animosity because the job that he did at Charleston, which, by the way, a lot of coaches have won there, but the job that he did at Charleston didn't look as impressive. Whenever you know, my man p K comes in and wins the league, what two out of his three years there or something like that. All Right, we got to get to a quick break. Keep it locked right here. We'll talk some super Bowl coming up here on the other side. And I definitely want to talk about Mark Poe because it sounds like he was angry in the locker room after their loss on the road at all Miss. Apparently he was punching things. I don't get mad, That's what I'm saying. Man, I don't know. I don't think he's that guy. Not that that guy, Pal, You're not that guy.
Speaker 2: Pal.
Speaker 3: We'll talk about it right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee.
Speaker 2: And Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 3: Because I want so badly for the Philadelphia Eagles to get the win on Sunday, And I was gonna say de throne the Chiefs, but I'm not even really sure that would be accurate. If they win, I mean, it would be impressive, and maybe it would be a sign that the Chiefs are not as dominant moving forward as they have been recently. But again, they could lose and then maybe win two more and I wouldn't be shocked. But when it comes to the matchup, I think you really you need to get off to a really good start if you're Philadelphia, and I don't mean get out to some huge lead, but what you don't want to do is have to play from behind, because then you're gonna have to really trust Jalen Hurts. And Jalen Hurts is trustworthy as a quarterback. He is consistent, does not make a lot of mistakes. But where your offense is going to be able to, you know, really thrive, I mean, if it's going to thrive, I should say it'll be leaning on Sequon Barkley, the birthday boy who has had a phenomenal season and is clearly one of the best players in the NFL. But if you end up down ten or something like that, you could still you know, you could still rely on him, but you know, it's just you're gonna need to. I just think the scenario where Barkley has the big impact and they are able to win, I think it's because he's he's making plays early and it's the Chiefs that have to come from behind. Now with that said, I mean the Chiefs are built to come from behind. Patrick Mahomes, I mean some of these stats out there about how successful he is not only with what he does individually, but also his team's winning him leading his teams from behind or in games where they're down or it's tied. I mean he's clutch in a major way. And a lot of people claim it's because he gets bailed out by the Revs. I mean, in all seriousness, that's not why he's clutch. I mean he's had some calls go his way that shouldn't have. We all know that. But I mean the guy is phenomenal. So I just the more the closer we get, I actually start to think that the Chiefs are going to win, and I don't, and I shouldn't say that. I don't give the Eagles much of it chance. But I guess what I'm doing mentally here is preparing for the worst and just hoping for the best. All Right, So Kentucky lost four or five after they're beat down at Ole Miss, and I think it's safe to save it to beat Then they lost by fifteen or something like that, and they were down twenty three at half. I believe it was so look, Ole Miss is a good team, and they were hitting a lot of shots. And Kentucky's without Lamont Butler. This team still has a lot of good resume wins. But obviously I would say right now, just with it being four out of five that you've lost, fans are starting to worry a little bit, understandably so, And I don't think worry about missing the tournament, because, as we discussed yesterday, I really don't know if that's possible for you to miss the tournament, Like you could lose out and you certainly wouldn't want to do that. Who would We'll never know. But I think they have such good wins at this point that losing out would probably still put them on the bubble. But they won't. They'll probably beat the hell out of South Carolina this weekend. They still play LSU, who's not that good, and then you know, we can't be shocked if they beat some of these really good teams left on the schedule, because you know they've done that before. Their win at Gonzaga. They win at Tennessee was without the guy that they're still missing, which is Lamont Butler. So I didn't you know, I must have missed this yesterday. I didn't see it until the KSR post from earlier today with Nick Roush, and that apparently in the press conference on Tuesday night you could see Mark Pope has a bloody hand. And I don't know the specifics of of of what happened here, but apparently he was he was white hot. And I'll read directly here from KSRS as Pope described these moments as getting white hot. A well placed, flaming, white hot tirade ca can effectively motivate players if used properly. And here's the quote from Pope. There were there may or may not have been some completely destroyed furniture in the locker room recently, A little coach p maybe that's just part of it. Pope said, it's got to be for a purpose. It can't just be an emotional release. That's not the most productive thing. We try and make sure it's always something that's really really personal and not just indulgent, like an indulgent emotional outburst, it's not functional. That sounds I mean that Mark Pope is a very calculated guy, and I want to be able to say, hey, this guy, he's really starting to show that he's losing it, man, because he's not the guy if he thinks he's got to throw a tantrum and throw things in the locker room. His players they know that's not who he is. They're going to sense that that's not genuine and they're going to think the guy's a fraud. I mean, I would like to be able to say that, you know, for the sake of the rivalry, but even though he's not that red hot guy, that's just you know, going to be screaming at people. That's just not who he is as a person. And that's okay. Everybody's different. It does sound as if maybe it was just you know, frustration, and he probably was calling these guys out privately, not publicly, because again that's just kind of how he operates, it seems, but that they're not competing at the level that they need to compete at. So we'll see if if it works. I mean, I kind of can't really envision Mark Pope breaking furniture in a locker room, just because like that's so not his personality. I mean, I've never even seen him angry, to be honest with you. I mean, I'm sure he does get angry, and if I paid close enough attention, I'm sure I could see him yelling at his players. It's just to me, he's been never too high, never too low in regards to like anything. But yeah, they'll they'll they'll have South Carolina on Saturday, and really that's the perfect game to kind of, you know, try to bounce back. You've lost four or five, you're still without Lamont Butler and Kerk Crisa, who sounds like won't be back at all this year. So yeah, we uh, we'll see. But I wouldn't be shocked if they blow South Carolina off the off the floor on Saturday, just because they're that much better and it's the rare game that you have on your schedule where you're at home and You're not just playing one of the worst teams in your league. You're playing a team that you know they're not god awful in the grand scheme of things, but they're they're not. I mean, they're not a tournament team. I mean they've taken they've taken a big step back this year. All Right, it's coffee and Company and we are fueled by Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety