Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI A M six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: It's time for swampwatch.
Speaker 3: Swamp is horrible.
Speaker 4: The government doesn't work. Man, make this like a reality TV show.
Speaker 2: A bad Noos.
Speaker 4: Always a pleasure to be anywhere from Washington, d C. Hey, Joey, a town.
Speaker 3: All too clearly built on a swamp and in so many ways still a swamp.
Speaker 2: A watch of malarkey.
Speaker 4: What he said, drained the swamp.
Speaker 2: I said, Oh, that's so, you know the thing.
Speaker 1: Uh oh, I just got an alert on my phone the World Health Organization declaring m pops a global health emergency.
Speaker 2: So we already did that.
Speaker 1: They have again declared m pos an internal international health emergency in response to a growing outbreak in Africa.
Speaker 3: Well it never really went away, I mean it kind of. We tamped it down here in the United States by changing the name of it.
Speaker 1: The declaration comes after suspected and confirmed cases in Africa exceeded fifteen thousand this year, exceeding the toll in all of last year.
Speaker 4: New highs in the Congo.
Speaker 3: The big story that came out of DC this morning was that price hikes slowed more than expected into line for the first time in more than three years. The consumer price index landed just below three percent. It was at two point nine percent for the twelve months that ended in July. That was slowing down a little bit from three percent in June. Bureau of Labor Statistics released this report. This now is going to pave the way, they say, for the Fed Reserve to cut rates next month after this battle with inflation that sent rates to a twenty three year high. Right now, there is signs of economic stress, as they say, because inflation does appear under control a bit, and the Fed could reduce some borrowing costs to try to get the job growth booming again, although we're still at a pretty pretty significantly great unemployment rate here in the United States.
Speaker 4: A couple of polls to talk about.
Speaker 1: Don't you think this is something that Kamalas should get out and talk to reporters about inflation the economy.
Speaker 3: She's has a big speech tomorrow, not tomorrow Friday speech though that's the word, right, and not a give and take, not a Q and A or anything like that. Former President Trump supposedly has one on the economy today. Right now, I'm going to start national and we'll go local. But Vice President Harris is leading or tied with former President Trump in six of seven battleground states as of right now. This is the Cook Political Report Swing State Project that shows that Harris has an overall one point lead, well within the margin of error. Keep that in mind over Trump across battleground states Arizona, Georgia, Michigan, Nevada, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin. Across the seventh battleground state, she has forty eight percent support.
Speaker 2: Trump had forty seven percent.
Speaker 3: Five percent of respondent said that they were either undecided or would not vote.
Speaker 4: Now there is I'm sorry, no you go oh.
Speaker 1: I was just gonna dovetail the survey from the AP and RK Research Center that found Vice President Harris as honest, someone who is disciplined as opposed to President Trump. That nearly half of Americans would describe her as committed to democracy and disciplined, compared to about thirty percent for Trump. Forty percent said the same for honest, compared to just twenty five percent for the former president.
Speaker 4: That that is.
Speaker 1: Remarkable to me that anybody labels any politician using that word honest. Yeah, you don't rise to levels like this by being honest with people.
Speaker 3: There's also so we mentioned this earlier when we were talking about this poll, specifically honesty and what it means for different people. For Kamala Harris, that is the thing that people are excited about right now is that she brings joy, she brings optimism, she brings whichever positive adjective you want to bring.
Speaker 2: That's what she's working on right now.
Speaker 3: I don't know anybody who's like, she's got foreign policy nailed, or she has beautiful ideas on what to do with the economy.
Speaker 1: Sims'm and and enjoy. Those are all wonderful things. It's a fun movie to watch, but you need substance, and if she's not putting her substance on display, then we are not doing our jobs as reporters in the media.
Speaker 3: Right And the criticism that we got when we talked about in the first hour was well, Trump never talks about policy.
Speaker 2: Okay, yes he doesn't.
Speaker 3: Now there's different reasons why they don't, and I think both of them should. He doesn't because he can't. He has a knee jerk reaction. He can't continue to talk about policy without getting personal digs in. That's his personality, that's who he is. She could talk policy but doesn't want to because she doesn't have to rate now.
Speaker 4: But can she talk policy? That's the big question.
Speaker 2: I mean, she could choose to talk policy.
Speaker 1: Are we at a place in this country where the two leading candidates for president don't need to bother with details that they just.
Speaker 4: Have to be the cheerleader?
Speaker 1: And then who's running the country? Which is a fun question that I've had in my mind since Biden turned up as weekend at Bernie's.
Speaker 3: Because the vast majority of voters, I think it's safe to say the vast majority of voters don't do any of their own homework on who they're going to vote for, and a lot of them, I don't know if it's a majority, but a lot of them will vote simply on their feelings.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: I feel like Donald Trump is mean. I feel like Kamala Harris is wrong for the country. I feel like Donald Trump doesn't know what he's doing for them. Nobody does their homework, nobody. It's all about optics. They're absolutely right.
Speaker 1: Because she's showing optimism and he's showing strength and it's whatever one you want.
Speaker 3: Or they do this, they say to their phone, Hey, TikTok, who should I vote for? And then TikTok blasts them with half thought, halfwits, who then try to use their feelings about Kamala Harris or Donald Trump and convince you that their feelings are right because they did their homework allegedly.
Speaker 4: How much time have you been spending on TikTok?
Speaker 2: Not enough?
Speaker 4: Or have the Chinese moved into your home?
Speaker 2: They've moved into my head.
Speaker 1: Hey there was an article and my heart. You're going through something and I'm not going to deal with it.
Speaker 2: I don't like it when you look away.
Speaker 3: Bottom of the hour, we're going to get into story that's been kind of bubbling for the last couple of days. It was how the FBI yesterday we talked about it in this context, the FBI is investigating whether Iranians were able to hack into or steal information from presidential campaigns. The important thing also is, or an important aspect of that story, is the news organizations who got the information did not publish it, did not go forward with some of that information. So we'll talk about what the decision process is for those news agencies eleven thirty.
Speaker 1: That Algerian Olympic boxing gold medalist Amani Hahalif is naming Elon Musk and JK Rowling in a legal complaint filed the lawsuit in France over online harassment she says she faced during the Olympics. Her attorney says that former President Trump is also part of the investigation. Lawsuit filed against X accuses Musk and Ralling of committing acts of aggravated cyber harassment against her false claims that she was transgender.
Speaker 3: Back in swamp Watch, there were a couple of different versions of this story that came up today that I thought was interesting. A former Trump spokeswoman, a woman named Sarah Matthews, says that Donald Trump has been lighting up his campaign staffers. Former President's meltdown comes from a couple of staffers who worked with him. They don't currently but that they say they're still in contact with some of the people who work in the campaign. Sarah Matthews says, quote, I think he feels this election slipping away from him, and that's where you're beginning to see him spiral. Republicans and top donors are worried about his strategy as he's launching these personal attacks and obsesses over her personality instead of sticking to issues like the border, the economy, and the crime. In fact, scaramog Anthony Scaramucci says he's still in close ties with some of the people in the inner circle and said that Trump isn't barnstorming across the swing states as expected because he's He's due to speak in North Carolina today and he is expected to hit some more battleground states next week. But Scaramucci said he picked Vance. He knows Vance was a terrible, terrible pick, and he's lighting up people inside the campaign right now about picking Vance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, it seemed like a rash decision because they were all high on the assassination attempt and they could do no wrong, and they didn't have to make a calculated pick.
Speaker 4: Just picked their friend.
Speaker 1: And then that kind of faded, that that high of the assassination attempt kind of faded, and now you're kind of left with a dud.
Speaker 3: Scaramooch says this is very typical behavior from the former president. When things go awry, he starts firing people. So she says, expect him to start firing some people in the campaign.
Speaker 1: He sounded pissed off when he had that press availability that went on for ninety minutes or whatever at mar A Lago. The way he starts arted it, he sounded out of breath, pissed off, like he was fuming. He probably had just yelled at a bunch of people, and that's what came across as all right, So he continues to trot out Hannibal Lecter, right. He talked about Hannibal Lecter at a rally in Atlanta at the beginning of the month. They hate it when I use doctor Hannibal Lecter, the great, late Great Hannibal Lecter, the late great apparent reference to the media. They hate it when I do this. At the RNC, he asked, has anyone seen silence of the lambs? The late great Hannibal Lecter. He'd love to have you for dinner. He usually mentions him when he's talking about immigration to say that everyone who's crossing the border is mentally ill, although there's not a lot of proof of that, but he's consistent.
Speaker 4: In mentioning Hannibal Lecter.
Speaker 1: And they say in this article in the Washington Post, it's classic, and we all know people like this that go back to references from their glory days when they rose to fame, when he he achieved celebrity status. They call him the cryptkeeper of the nineteen eighties. It's when Trump ruled New York City clubs and tabloids. First Grace the cover of Time magazine. His rally playlists include Ymca from seventy eight, Gloria from eighty two. The fit of his suits, the length of his ties scream the nineteen eighties. It's why he likes that gold interior design as well. Trump Tower completed in eighty three. That was what his biographer has said, that he's a cryptkeeper for the nineteen eighties.
Speaker 2: That's a funny line that said.
Speaker 3: Basically, every time he opens the door, people spill out from the eighties. Roger Stone, Rudy Giuliani fashion from the eighties. Monochrome suits are sorry, monochrome tie suits that are made in two or three different colors. His office decre in fact, is still the nineteen eighties.
Speaker 1: None of his tastes have been updated in decades. Of course, Silence of the Lambs coming out in nineteen eighty nine. His book came out in eighty seven. But it's so true, and we all kind of know people like that that are frozen in a certain decade. Okay, well every the eighties spill out.
Speaker 4: I like that. That's good.
Speaker 1: More proof that we as a people are circling the drain. The famous pretzel shop Anti Ann's is debuting its first ever perfume, inspired by the brand's signature aroma. Yes, the smell you get inundated with when you walk into a mall. That is what people will be spraying themselves with. It's called need k N E A D.
Speaker 2: It's clever.
Speaker 4: It's clever, that is, it's clever.
Speaker 1: Fans have gotten early access to the scent at a pop up in New York City. It is now available for purchase online. Anti Ann's says it's always looking for new ways to engage their audience.
Speaker 4: It's clever, it's ridiculous. Who wants to smell like a hot pretzel? Cinnamon?
Speaker 2: Hot pre You want to smell raise in my hand?
Speaker 1: All right, well you know that I'll have it to you by tuesday. You know that, right, you.
Speaker 2: Can give me a present in Chicago?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Great, no, because if you smell like a hot pretzel, I'm gonna want one.
Speaker 4: See that's what I'm saying, like I need the pretzel.
Speaker 2: Get it?
Speaker 5: Okay, fine, Garan, Shannon, It's Meagan. I was the one who called earlier about Steve and Shannon, you were asking about the birds.
Speaker 4: I have two.
Speaker 5: Parakeets and a dog, so they that's what you were hearing. They like to sing in the morning. They look up the window and sing with the other birds. They're very cute. And yes, I'm a Steve Gregory fan. And I'm the one who had asked previously if he could do read the bedtime stories. Oh all right, guys, I have.
Speaker 4: A great day.
Speaker 6: Bit.
Speaker 1: She got a little flustered there at the end when she started thinking about Steve just started reading a bedtime story. Oh my gosh, well, once upon a time. I'm Steve Gregory.
Speaker 4: Sorry, good morning, Good morning.
Speaker 6: She and James and Torrance, my wife and son and daughter are heard me in Tokyo. Yes, alert was issued a pretty goosized click down there. They didn't feel that one, but they felt that one mega quick. I thought the one on Monday when I was blon beat into the hospital. Take care of a good day till Deborah see her on Instagram. Went from home, Oh Playground guys, take care.
Speaker 1: Deborah has a nice Instagram profile. If you're if you haven't followed her, you got to check it out. It's very fashionable.
Speaker 4: Thanks.
Speaker 1: It's not the homeless stuff you get with us. Do you want your Jeopardy question?
Speaker 4: Sure? Name calling for one thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: Creator of TV's Fargo, Noah Howley won this mystery award named for a certain poet, Edgar.
Speaker 2: Who is Edgar Allan poem?
Speaker 4: What is the Edgar? Is the answer, not the poet. It's the name of the award.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, Why are the people laughing because you're making fun of me?
Speaker 2: Because I didn't you said it so condescendingly? Did I?
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm really sorry, hurts. I don't want to come across condescending at all.
Speaker 3: At least three news outlets your decision against.
Speaker 4: At least just said that word.
Speaker 3: At least three news outlets were leaked confidential material from inside the Trump campaign. Politico, The New York Times, and The Washington Post have all written stories in the last week or two about this potential leak and about where it may have come from.
Speaker 2: We talked yesterday.
Speaker 3: The FBI I said to be investigating as to whether or not it originated from this fishing attack, originated from Iran. This decision to not publish what's inside. They've talked about the the fact that they received the information but that they have not published it.
Speaker 4: Very different from twenty sixteen.
Speaker 3: If you remember, it was the Russians that hacked into Hillary Clinton's campaign manager John Podesta's email, and then Wiki Leaks published a bunch of those emails. Mainstream news organizations picked them up and covered them. I don't know if the argument then was, hey, we didn't publish it, We're just reporting on the fact that they're out there, because WikiLeaks obviously doesn't have the same footprint today that it did eight years ago. Politico wrote over the weekend about getting emails starting July twenty second from a guy who identified himself as Robert. It included a two hundred and seventy one page campaign document about now vice presidential candidate JD Vance and a partial vetting report on Senator Marco Rubio, who was one of the potential VP picks. Both Politico and The Washington Post said that they have independently confirmed with people in the campaign that those in fact were authentic documents.
Speaker 2: They said it's.
Speaker 3: Unclear who provided the material. Politico says it doesn't know who Robert is and that when it spoke to the supposed leaguer, he said, I suggest you don't be curious about where I got them from. Now, the Trump campaign seems pretty convinced that it was in fact Iran that was behind it, although they don't have any evidence for that. It did come a day after Microsoft report reported that there had been an effort by military intelligence in Iran to compromise the email account of a former senior advisor to the campaign, and again, the FBI released a statement just a couple of days ago that said that they confirmed that the FBI is in fact investigating the matter, so they said that this may have been somewhat of a lesson. Trump and his team encouraged the coverage of the wikileague's documents that came out. A BBC story talked about the eighteen revelations that came out. Vox wrote about John Pedesta's advice for making a superb Risottee.
Speaker 1: I've got good vacation news for you. North Korea will reopen limited international tourism by the end of the year.
Speaker 4: I've never been to North Korea not yet.
Speaker 1: The announcement from the isolated communist country comes as South Korea and the US whole joint military exercises next week in a show of force as North Korea rams.
Speaker 4: Up its nuclear threats. Why wouldn't you want to go?
Speaker 1: What do you think the tourism slogan is for North Korea?
Speaker 2: Mind your damn business.
Speaker 1: American passports are not valid to travel to North Korea unless specially validated. The US classifies North Korean travel as a Level four risk, quoting here, do not travel.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: I have some breaking Stonehenge news.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: They are one step closer to figuring out how it was created. A new study shows that the stone that's lying flat at the center of Stonehenge, known as the Altar Stone, came from a sandstone quarry near the tip of northeast Scotland. Gosh not clear how they got it there, sixteen foot slab of stone. They carried it by boat or through land. It was the Aliens, about four hundred and sixty miles. It traveled for more than a century. They said they believed that it had come from Wales, but they figured out no. In fact, it was the north tip of northeast Scotland. It was once the home of that piece of stone.
Speaker 4: Fascinating.
Speaker 2: You don't have to say that.
Speaker 4: Did I sell it though? No? You want me to try Let me try it again. That's fascinating better.
Speaker 2: Okay, you still sound a little stone though.
Speaker 4: That's fascinating.
Speaker 2: That's good. Yeah, a good one, very stone. Sob all right.
Speaker 3: So there is a serious case in Texas that has to do with the parents of a school shooter. And I almost said convicted school shooter, but in fact, Demetrios Pigwortz, the guy who did this in Galveston, has been declared mentally incompetent to stand trial.
Speaker 1: So there is a civil trial taking place, and the defendants are the parents of this guy, seventeen year old, who killed eight of his classmates and two teachers at Santa Fe High School in twenty eighteen.
Speaker 3: It's the civil trial because in Texas, criminal charges could have been brought against a parent if a child who is sixteen or younger gains access to a loaded gun that was not properly stored. But he was seventeen at the time of the shooting. And the question is whether the parents Demetrius Pogortus's parents were negligent in how they stored their dozen rifles and shotguns and handgun in their home and whether they could have taken steps to help their son.
Speaker 1: So for two weeks now the parents have sat in court just a few yards from the parents of the children who were killed in the massacre. A lawyer for the plaintiffs, Clint maguire, said in his opening statement, there were red flags if they did not know that he was depressed, like they're claiming, it's because they failed in their job as parents and they should have known. Now, that is a dangerous statement to make on its face because it is so arbitrary when you think about parenting and what makes good parents and fulfilling your job as a parent, and what does that mean, right, Yeah, it's not black or white. Saying they should have known doesn't mean that they knew. And if they knew, then yes they should have acted. But if you can't pinpoint if they knew he was depressed or not, that's very flimsy.
Speaker 3: It also, I think works in the parents' favor that the kid was determined incompetent to stand trial. I mean that they they are not doctors, clearly. Now, you could argue that any parent should be able to see the signs of obvious distress, perhaps in their own kids.
Speaker 1: But that's also so common in seventeen year old boys, right, they are so despondent and a chip on their shoulder.
Speaker 3: Perennially, they asked the father if he was aware of things that his kid was buying online, like ammunition. They said he didn't know about the dark turn in his son's interests. When asked if he knew that his son's favorite song was called Angel of Death, dad said he didn't know anything about it.
Speaker 4: Well, your son went through a death metal phase.
Speaker 2: Yeah, They said.
Speaker 3: He didn't know that his son appeared to be fascinated by school shootings, nor that his son had seen disturbing journal entries on his computer, some that described an abusive home life. He did testify that his son had been a good student, played clarinet, ran track, played football. It was not aware of his son's increasing absences during his junior year, nor the declining grades that began to appear on his report card. Now, the mom did contact the school after her son was accused of plagiarism on a school assignment and said that she had talked to him and his sister about mental health and school shootings, particularly after the shooting at Marjorie Stoneman Douglas High School in Florida, which took place in early twenty eighteen. But she said that Mom said that the troubles were hidden. Mom had no idea what was going on in her son's mind, said the attorney. He was deeply disturbed and deeply suffering. But he didn't tell anybody now because again, there's been no criminal trial against the gunman. He was determined, like I said, mentally incompetent to stand trial. He's still in a state hospital for mental treatment. A civil trial has also represented the first effort for any sort of accountability in the six years since that shooting took place, which is.
Speaker 2: A hard thing for the jury to deal with.
Speaker 4: Here, how did we miss this one? Do you remember this?
Speaker 2: I vaguely remember the shooting, yes, they said.
Speaker 1: In a crowded history of mass shootings in recent years, the Santa Fe Mascar has often been overlooked, clipsed by subsequent tragedies and the desire among many in the community south of Houston to move on.
Speaker 4: Do you have any good news?
Speaker 2: Come ahead, boy, you know what.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna find something good for us. We deserve something a little nice. Maybe I'll find something about butter.
Speaker 2: What about a positive message?
Speaker 4: What Gary and.
Speaker 2: Shannon just wanted to say?
Speaker 4: I think your guys show is great.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I don't know why I was cut off there. Maybe he said something negative after that.
Speaker 1: The earliest evidence of butter production dates back to ancient Mesopotamia around twenty five hundred BC.
Speaker 4: That's fascinating.
Speaker 1: So do you think, okay, that's that's going to kiss me off? So Jesus probably tasted butter if he was lucky.
Speaker 4: Of course, it may have originated by accident.
Speaker 1: Butter such as fascinating, such as when chilled milk, which, oh god, that's going.
Speaker 4: To really bother me a lot, Jacob a lot.
Speaker 1: That's fascinating. Go get my gun his face less than lethal, non lethal. Right, you just want to sting them a lot. I want to give them a little stinger. That's fascinating.
Speaker 3: Our trending stories an update from space. Oh and what you watch on Wednesday? Let us know what you're watching this week? Send us a talkback message.
Speaker 1: Did you know that the earliest butter was made from the milk of sheep, goats and yak and not cows.
Speaker 4: That's fascinating.
Speaker 3: There's so many different variations of you saying that's fascinating.
Speaker 4: That's fascinating.
Speaker 2: Devor Mark is going to have an update right after this.
Speaker 4: That's fascinating. You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 3: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio ap