Speaker 1: Hello everybody, and welcome to episode fifty six of Game Spot after Dark, Game Sports Official after Dark Podcast. That's a very circular definition, but you know it's me on the rains today push Jake out for the week, so it's gonna be a chaotic episode. I'm Lucy James joining me this week. We've got John nigsideke Hello with a very crisp new mic. I'm very excited about it because I haven't set mine up yet. I just have the crappy old one Tomorrowhos saying.
Speaker 2: Hi, Old Mike also yeah, but your mic is good.
Speaker 3: And Kelly Plaguey Hi, also an old Mike, but I figured out her music correctly.
Speaker 1: It's been like this week has felt very strange because when we're putting the running order together, at least for the topics to talk about, they are the same was last week, but this time we have actual stuff to talk about, like in terms of DC fandom, Black Ops, Cold War. So it's gonna be It's been a big week already in Games Come for context, we're recording this on Wednesday. Games Come hasn't happened yet, so we're in a we're in a world without pork knuckle and without tiny German beers or game announcements at the Achillies. So if we're not talking about I don't know, you can order, you can pre you can register to pre order PS five now, but we don't know when it's out. So if they announce a PS five, really stay and we're not talking about it here. That's why. But let's get into what we've been playing. CALLI and when come Chief first.
Speaker 3: All right, well, Tomorre, we'll be really happy to hear. Well, I've already told him, but a surprised Tom that I've begun blood Born, my blood born. Uh my, my character's name is Strawberry because that's what I was eating when I created her.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, And.
Speaker 3: I found that like like I was like, okay, I I know on paper when I'm supposed to do. And then the first area has so many enemies that I was just like, I don't know, I don't know if I'm mentally ready for this, Like I don't know, but I got I got through it.
Speaker 2: What it wants you to think.
Speaker 1: But really it's just it's you. Just The thing I love about that first area is it's so overwhelming at the very beginning and then the more you kind of go through it, you just you learn it and it just and it sets you up for the rest of the game where it's like, oh, it's going to present me with things that are immediately very intense and scary, and then it gives you the confidence to tackle them.
Speaker 2: It's very, very exciting for you. It's basically that bit in Simpsons where is the references that I can sing, but it's like escalating. So you go off and you're like, I can sink, I can sing, and then by the halfway when you're like, I can.
Speaker 3: Except I would certainly hope that's where I get with it. I've been I started playing at like the height of the heat wave too and with the fires, so I had to like stop a lot because I was getting way too like literally and figuratively heated playing. So it's cooled down. We still can't really open our windows too much, but it's cooled down at least, so I'm ready. I'm ready to give it another shot. But uh yeah, I I've The hardest thing for me was the controls, honestly, because I think the last game I played on PS four was the last of US Part two. So because I haven't started Ghost of Sushimi yet. I'm sorry, but I had really like I kept accidentally throwing molotovs, having a really hard time with the control scheme and blob on. But but I'm I'm excited. I I also like, I want to finish Secro, but I kind of want to do Bloodborne first because I feel like like I don't want to cross those two. I want to keep them a little bit.
Speaker 2: That room, I was.
Speaker 1: Gonna say, because Scro will get you used to not having a stamina bar and then Bloodborne will be like, oh no, you to manage.
Speaker 3: That ship that was that was also very difficult. So yeah, I'm I'm enjoying that journey. And I'm also I've been watching The Simpsons from the beginning.
Speaker 2: Before you move on? What weapon did you pick up? The start?
Speaker 3: The one that.
Speaker 2: Opens Okay, okay, okay, what it's called?
Speaker 1: Wait? They all kind of.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 2: It's been described as the reu effect where it's on the cover, so that's why everyone picks it.
Speaker 1: Ah.
Speaker 3: I mean I was just like that one looks cool. Oh when I got the the I got a better outfit.
Speaker 1: Would you get to get a hunted?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So how do you feel about the little messengers in the bath. Have you met them yet?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Hang on, where did you get up to?
Speaker 3: I have? I have seen a boss, but I ran away using the item that lets okay my blood.
Speaker 2: Fine. Next time you're in the in the Hunter's Dream, just go to the little bath area that's on your left immediately and you'll see the little like yeah, that little lad. Yeah, yeah, I love this.
Speaker 3: My favorite thing about the game so far as the little the little guys the floor, your little notes, I love love them some hilarious.
Speaker 4: No can't you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You can get a top hat for mine all wearing top hats, and you can get like there's like maybe three or four things, but they're very cute. And if you like, get the Pigma figures come with those little guys as well, which is what I was like. They're very cute. Yeah, all around, Bloodborn is a very cute game.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. Yeah. I've also been watching The Simpsons from the beginning and it uh just because and it's amazing how well.
Speaker 1: I've been doing that.
Speaker 4: Actually, those jokes, it's I don't know what caused it, just like all of a sudden one day we're like, let's just watch Simpsons.
Speaker 3: You know, I was like kind of in a mood, and I've been on Talking Simpsons a couple of times, and one of the episodes that I did was in actually, I think a couple of them were like early episodes, so I got to one that I've already done. But watching them in sequence is like, I'm just like some of those jokes, I like just can't believe that they happened in nineteen eighty nine, nineteen ninety, right, and they're still funny. I know, I'm not the first person to say this. I just have been thinking about it a lot.
Speaker 2: It's wild how those jokes from nineteen eighty nine are still relevant today. In George Oil's nineteen eighty four.
Speaker 4: Oh go ahead, I was just gonna say, like, you kind of forget, like I've I've literally existed, like the Simpsons has existed longer than I've been alive, you know, Like so like you kind of forget You're so used to modern Simpsons and what it's like, and it's very like pop culture heavy and like celebrity cameos and all that stuff, and you kind of forget how like incredibly cynical, like o G. Simpsons is and like how it's just like like, uh, like Homer and like the Simpsons are like the asshole family that like would have been the antagonist and like the average sitcom in Flanders would have been like the protagonist. And they've like completely flipped it, and it's just like it still works. It still works so well, and it's so it's so funny, like, oh my god.
Speaker 2: Any there's it Modern Simpsons is it still is?
Speaker 1: Still the last episode. The last episode of the Simpsons I saw was I think four hundred, I want to say, or three hundred where Bart moved out and Tony Hawk was in it. That's the only one I remember.
Speaker 3: Oh I remember that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the last episode of Simpsons.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Tony Hawk. Really that was the last episode of the Simpsons you saw.
Speaker 1: I feel like anything since.
Speaker 3: I've watched beyond that, but they're not as memorable, you know.
Speaker 4: No, I feel like the characters just like Mo. He he's like wears like a nice shirt in like modern Simpsons, and he's like goes over to them for he's like a family friend. And I'm like, no, Mo's like the sleazy bar owner. He's in love with Midge, Yeah, and calls him and he threatens to murder him.
Speaker 3: Definitely.
Speaker 2: Oh sorry, I was gonna say that that episode that Lucy is mentioning is the Simpsons S fourteen e eleven dot xvid dot eazy TV. So season fourteen, episode eleven, Wait, so hang on.
Speaker 1: So when what are they up to? Now? What? Season twenty two?
Speaker 3: Thirty thirty thirty.
Speaker 4: Yeah, twenty was around when the movie came out. I want to say, oh, jez.
Speaker 2: I think that's the last major Simpsons thing that I watched. The movie after that was Goodbye, Old Friend.
Speaker 3: I mean, I will extend like the Simpsons episodes. I will watch like through some seasons that people can like, like I think most like if you want to be like, oh like push up glasses like a big sentence four to nine. But I will watch like through the early teens and like have a good time just because it. I mean, like John Luke said, that shows older than I am, so like there's a it has this grace period for me. We're still nostalgic. But I yeah, I haven't watched it this year.
Speaker 2: This is clearly not the right place to do this, but like, did it just run out of things to say or did it like did the characters become rubbish or or did they what happened?
Speaker 4: I think that well, for there's a really good Super eight Past World video where he kind of like breaks it down. But I think I think the big thing that he kind of brought up was, like I mean most of the original staff just left by like season like nine. I think there's like a massive exodus and like all but like Conan O'Brien, yeah, all but two of the writers. So it's like it's just kind of like the priorities are different. Like the people who who created it, who had like that specific vision for it to be this like biting satire, were like not there anymore, you know, to keep that going.
Speaker 3: And you also have like those early episodes. The context is so different because, like you said, at the time, Flanders would have been the protagonist in any other sitcom on the air. Probably you have like like at the time, people were really upset about Bart as a character, like they just knew the show is like the show with the foul mouth child. Celebrities that were on the show were like too embarrassed to have their names in the credit made like a dig at the Simpsons.
Speaker 1: Wow, So like, uh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're gonna talk about Ronald regularly. But but yeah, like I think there's the changing landscape to I think there it's hard. I feel like it's hard to do satire in a post like Family Guy, South Park, the attitude towards what's.
Speaker 4: Different, Like I I in the way that like Simpsons was like the animated sitcom for like the ninety I would say like the two thousands was more like a Bob's Burger's or something, just a very different feel and kind of like capturing more a different culture though, like the Simpsons was created for the nineties.
Speaker 2: So they are currently in season thirty two, no episode number. October twenty fifth, I believe was the last episode Treehouse of Horror Roman numerals that I won't to even begin to try and guess what that is. How long do you reckon before the show gets canned?
Speaker 1: It's not it makes some still get millions of still so popular.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'd say it's probably Tria support thirty one because there's been one every season except the first, right, or have they been multiple per seasons.
Speaker 4: I feel like it's more likely that the majority of the cast will just pass away and they'll have to cancel it for that reason rather than.
Speaker 1: I mean like if you lose one of the core.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like at this point, I mean.
Speaker 2: Like the enough people who are able to pull amazing like Home.
Speaker 4: Uh, like a Mickey Mouse scenario where they like train people, they have them at the ready to replace them.
Speaker 2: They change Home with voice to Mickey Mouse.
Speaker 3: There's an ending like sequence in a newer Simpsons episode where they do a little song. I'm not gonna say it, but they say like they'll never stop. The Simpsons have no fears. We'll have stories for years and one of them is like Marsh and it's all sing song, but it's like Marsh becomes a robot. One of them like it's a jokes, but it's it's also true because they're like, it's never it's too big to be canceled. But anyway, we can move on from the Simpsons because we do have to talk about Ronald Brake.
Speaker 1: Let's move on, John, what you've been doing?
Speaker 4: I was, I popped in and played some Batman Arkham City. I was feeling that Batman itch and I was like, you know what, I'm gonna pop it in. It was it was. It took me like only like ten hours. It was like a nice like I'm just gonna beat a game real quick and have a good time, And that is a fantastic game.
Speaker 2: The weird thing is Alfred has to help Batman with his Batman You get a little, you get a little.
Speaker 3: I saw it in your badge as soon as John Luke said it, I saw.
Speaker 1: More n.
Speaker 2: Carry Uh.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't know what to say about the game. That hasn't been said in for years, and it's just it's it's really good. Uh, it's really good, you know what, you know, I'll tomorrow, I'll admit it.
Speaker 2: Finally everyone comes around.
Speaker 4: It might be the best Batman game.
Speaker 2: It is the best game.
Speaker 4: I still think I like the slightly more condensed pack structure of Asylum, but I'll admit that I think from like a story perspective, and like the design. I mean the like their their take on like Old Gotham, and like that architecture, and like the stuff like wonder City underneath it's incredibly well done. Like that game's art style holds up beautifully.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like they To truly feel like Batman, you need an open world like you need to. You need a a city to move around and like have crimes to drop in on like in an asylum. That is about mine experience. But you don't really get the complete Batman experience, right, You don't get to see in the distance the bat signal like piercing the sky and fly towards it. That's the that's that's when you truly feel like Batman, and that is why City is the best one.
Speaker 4: Also the zip where you where you do like the double tap and he like slingshots himself. Oh so satisfying.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Yeah, that is like that's why I keep playing Night because it feels so satisfying in that one. That's where they like perfect that field.
Speaker 4: I want to try Night again. I only played it once. It's the only one I've played once. I played all the others like multiple times.
Speaker 2: You should play it again, Like that's so burnt.
Speaker 4: I really that game feels bloated in a way that I just was, like I just I just felt done with it by the time I beat it.
Speaker 2: I think it was like it came out in the height of like open world fatigue as well, but like I played it again recently and just coming at it at a slower pace after not really playing many open world games. It felt so good, Like it felt really well paced, and there's parts of it that feel like it's perhaps not as like high quality as other things. I know people don't like the Batmobile a lot, or the missions around it. There's certain things that you can skip, like the Riddler stuff like just don't don't bother, like it's not right. Yeah, but like when you do that, it's such a good game. It's so much fun and it feels so good to play, and I think like the story holds up really well.
Speaker 4: The story is the thing I remembered the most and kind of why I want to replay it. But yeah, I think it's a shame that like I have to ignore so much of it, Like like I did all the Riddler trophies and like Arkham Asylum and City, and I felt like those like it was like the right amount. It felt it felt good to do it all and it didn't feel like exhausting, And like I think A Night just like went too far in the way that I think a lot of open world games do now where they're like, let's just put more stuff in it, and you're like, oh god, no, I don't want to collect another goddamn Riddler trophy. I don't care, Catwoman, you can just hang there forever and I'll you'll never be saved.
Speaker 2: Sorry, Cal, I'd be interested to see what you think of it now, because I I when I went back to it, I think I liked it more than the first time I played it.
Speaker 4: Okay, I definitely want to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's good. It's like night you gigabytes though, so good luck with that.
Speaker 4: Did they fix the PC version eventually?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you became a bit British there.
Speaker 3: I was about to say version you fix the.
Speaker 2: People into but yeah, it got updated and I think it's way better. I know. Chris Praira was playing it recently. He said it looks amazing and it performs well. So I think they eventually fixed it up.
Speaker 4: Yes, so it's good. That was one of those people that bought it on PC when it came out, heard about all the issues, and I was like, oh, maybe I'll be lucky. I'll be one of those people that doesn't have it. Turned it on. All the textures were missing on like Gordon's face and that like opening scene, and I just immediately turned it off, refunded it and downloaded the PS four version.
Speaker 1: That's for bad tim.
Speaker 2: Been playing so I have been playing a game called Batman Arkham City. No, so, I played a bunch of Arkham City, and then I when I'm actually going back to Asylum now just because I've been in the mood for it, but I won't talk about that too much. I been playing Kimi, still Yami, still good, enjoying it. I can't remember how did they add things to this game A ton, yeah, because like there's certain like side quests and even like plot beats that I'm like, I do I do not remember this.
Speaker 4: Most of the side stuff is new new right. You can definitely tell from the writing it feels very different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it feels very current. And I was like, I don't remember any of this stuff. I just remember like straight up brawl stuff and not a lot of like extra material.
Speaker 4: All the Margin stuff is completely now, like that original game shows up like three.
Speaker 2: Times, three or four times. Yeah, That's why I was like, wow, but Margin was really popular now. I don't remember him being this popular back in the day. I remember him being like an asshole like four or five times to me, and I whopped his ass.
Speaker 4: It's two I think made him twos, yeah.
Speaker 2: Twos where he were really Yeah, So like I'm really enjoying the feeling of like going back to that game and it being somehow better than I remember it to be, like and like knowing that this is well different, but like it's like rediscovering an old love for the first time. Like it's really really fun to do that. And I spent a lot of time doing the stupid mini game. Still. I played UFO Catcher yesterday for maybe an hour and a half. Pocket Racer, I did Pocket Racer a really long time. I've done too much bowling, and I do I do the thing with the Hostess club where I just go down to chat to the lady.
Speaker 3: That's my favorite part.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the lady. It's like, this is what reminded me, this is what made me think this is this is very different, like the Hostess mission in Kwame.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think the character I got was her name is Rena or something like that, but she is a lesbian or maybe she's bisexual. She's bisexual like Hostess and like is very progressive and chill about everything, and like Kiri at the same time is like huh, discovering about like her preferences and like.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to think if that's the same, because there's there's one where he's like specifically, there's like a plot line where like a girl's like feeling like she just needs to date guys and he basically like cure you like tells her like convinces are like, no, you should be yourself, don't change for society and other people.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that there's an element of that in this. But the thing is that I don't remember that in the original, Like maybe I just wasn't like I.
Speaker 4: Think all the the hostess stuff in Kiwami is different than it was. Yeah, I think it's committed.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think that's why I was like, this is very different.
Speaker 3: It's very progressive even now versus when that came out.
Speaker 2: That's that's exactly what I was thinking. And it was one of those moments where even Kiriri was like like he's I'm at the stage way like he she's telling a story at like, oh, yeah, my ex, I was talking to my ex, et cetera, et cetera. And then he's like, oh, so would you get back with him? And she was like him and he's like oh, yes, of course, and then like they're like learning about each other and like it's really wholesome the way he kind of starts and then he'll retain that information next time you speak to her, So he's like internalizing her sexuality and then talking to her with respect, and like, Kiriu is good.
Speaker 4: The Yakuza team is definitely one of the more progressive video game teams Japan or not, like just in general, like even like I haven't played them, so I can't comment on like personally, but I know that for the remasters of three, four and five, they completely redid the translation to like line it up with like the current team that starts to zero, and apparently they they like changed a lot of it and they changed like transphobic stuff, and that was not just like the localization team decided to do that. That was like like Negosti himself was like, no, like that stuff doesn't fly anymore, we need to fix that. And I think that's I really appreciate. Going forward.
Speaker 2: There's there's a scene with Maguma which I won't.
Speaker 4: Spoil, but I think I know what you're talking.
Speaker 2: He does something which you would think, like it would be CEO would have a very you would think someone would have a very specific reaction to and like you're given the options just play off as normal, and it's just the funniest thing because like even Margina was like, how is this not not like on how is this not getting you on hill? What's going on here?
Speaker 4: Have you that the Pocket Racer yet?
Speaker 2: No, he's not showed up there. He's hiding out in the construction in somewhere in the city right now.
Speaker 4: So I think my Pocket Racer is the favorite one because it like in that game, he's like just showing up in all the different mini games like Bothering Cure you. When he shows up at the Pocket Racer, Curius like not here, this is a sacred place for me. There are children here, we are having wholesome fun, Like I will go outside and I will fight you, but you need to leave. And then Margima's like, no, this looks great. I wanna I'm gonna buy a bunch of Pocket Racers now. Oh it's so good.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So the setup for Majima in Kiwami is like he's helping Kirri you remember things or like get back to a certain state of his like legend, and he does that by just being a menace everywhere. So like you could turn a corner and he'd like irrupt from like a bin to be like now we have to fight. And he'll like do things like send you a threatening phone call to be like don't come down the street. If you come down the street, I will find you. And he'll like hide out in places. So he's generally just being a nuisance the entire time, but it's so that you can fight him every time you see him. And like sometimes you'll be walking down the street and you'll just hear like a siren and then you'll see a big red exclamation mark in the distance, and it's because he's like spotted you in the distance and he comes like running towards you, and.
Speaker 3: You're like, shit, it's Nemesis.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then sometimes like you'll get a call from like his like his underlings, and they'd be like, have you seen Marjuma? Anyway, he said a bunch of weird shit, and now he's like run off and he's talking something about like a new way to get carry you back or something like that, and you have to be like, oh, find damn. You're like babysitting him as well as kind of like kind of indulging his madness. It's really fun. Yeah, so I'm playing your Army. That's good. And then I'm watching an anime. Rewatching an anime for like the fifth time, call You're Lie in April, which I think he is a perfect anime. I've talked about him many times. It's about a boy, a pianist, who meets a girl, a violinist, and they go in on an emotionally devastating journey that will make almost humans cry. Yeah, you want to get rued It's a ten out of ten. And if you want to get ruined by an anime but also feel like just unbelievable ination and uplifting feelings, but also like soaring highest crushing lows the anime, it's it's that watch it is phenomenal, Like.
Speaker 3: School Days is an anime that will ruin you in a really bad way. I would say You're Lying in April is like a good ruin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the whole thing is about like finding inspiration in others and rediscovering who you are, but also living life to the fullest. It's it's phenomenal. I wish everyone watched it, but sometimes, what are you watching it on? It's on Netflix? Oh Lucy, watch it? You will, you'll you will absolutely love it. I'm going to be mudge my now, I'm going to be everywhere where, like jumping out from behind your TV. What you're watching? Is it your lae in April?
Speaker 1: Now? What I'm watching great seg is Uh. I'm not proud, but I'm just I've had one of those weeks where it's just very difficult for me to like concentrate on anything really. So I've been watching ninety Days.
Speaker 4: Yeah, whoa.
Speaker 1: We welcome. I've just been watching like trash TV. And when I watched the Weekend, Oh, I watched the first two episodes of Lovecraft Country. It is, but it also is like, I don't know, it's not how I pictured it when I read the book a couple of years ago. It's very like a very high budget, which shouldn't surprise me when you know Jordan Peel and jj Abrams are attached. The first episode is like really good, like setting out what the world is, who the characters are, and the second episode just kind of takes things up to eleven in a way that I'm not sure that I really liked. I think the thing that I liked in the book bo so a primer on Lovecraft Country you've not seen. It's on HBO. It is a The book is more of like an anthology of each chapter's a different point of view of a character, and it's family and friends of a black family who are their entire their business is like they have a a guide book of places that are safe to go for black people. And it's set God is it set in like the fifties or early sixties and so yeah, and so they, you know, you deal with these really uncomfortable scenes with like they roll into a town and they go to a place where they've been previously told as safe, and they discover that, you know, this town is the furthest thing from safe, and you have to the mounting tension of like being in that environment for them is like really well executed. But obviously it has Lovecraft in it. So it's also this very incredible mix of love crafty and horror too, in secret societies and all that shit. And I really really loved the book. Tim and I both read it a couple of years ago, and so, I mean, I'm very much intrigued by the show. It hasn't grabbed me as quickly as I thought it would, even though I have the background on the show on the book, but I'm going to keep watching it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want to check it out. But yeah, I think the thing that you said there where like it doesn't match what you were thinking. Was my biggest worry.
Speaker 1: Because I fully, I fully anticipated like every episode, you know, being the POV of a particular character, because there are some some stuff with like Hippolyta coming up that I'm really excited to see. I'm just intrigued as to how they do it, Like I think maybe the first two episodes are the the general setup of the whole show and then they'll move into the anthology stuff. But other than that, I've been playing yeah because of but my RSI has been very bad the last couple of nights. I haven't been able to play anything, and I'm actually at a boss fight and I can't physically play it because I risk hurts. So that's why I've been watching so much trash TV that I don't mean to concentrate on.
Speaker 2: Also, Love on the Spectrum.
Speaker 1: Oh, I did watch someone Love on the Spectrum, which is very very wholesome, very very sweet, recommended to us by well my boss Chris Beaumont put it in the group chat that we're in and it's very very wholesome. The thing that I guess I never really had to think about. But like autistic kids, they get a lot of help. It's school about learning to socialize and social cues and stuff, but they don't get that, you know, really when they leave. And so dating is a very difficult prospect for a lot of them. And so the show follows a lady who it's at her entire job is to kind of teach them the dos and don'ts of dating, consent and you know, what flirting is, and how to keep a conversation going as an adult in a romantic scenario. It's very very wholesome, very very good, and if you want to cry wholesome tears, then watch that.
Speaker 2: The thing I like about it is like almost because there's a bunch of people, and like it follows a bunch of people. Almost all of them are like they're nerdy, they love the stuff that we do like and they're like I want someone who loves sailor me yeah, and you're like, yeah, same. And there's like someone who's like a savant at Smash Brothers and like stuff like that.
Speaker 1: She brings out smash when they're to date.
Speaker 2: And whoops the other person at it.
Speaker 1: It's really good.
Speaker 2: It's really wholesome and like nice, and it kind of like is insight into something like as Lucy said, like how does you know her? People who live live you know, in this way kind of tackle adult things like dating and forming serious bonds with people. It's fascinating and like kind of like I don't want to say uplifting, but like it's endearing to see them, you know, loving the things that we love and trying their best at this stuff and in a lot of cases being way smart and way better than most people are.
Speaker 1: One of the things I do really appreciate about the show is that I was kind of afraid that it would be very take advantage of them and you know, put them in situations just to make fun of them. But they always have the producer micd Up and you always hear him saying things like are you comfortable with this? You don't have to do this if you don't want to, and like talking to them in a really reassuring and pleasant way and just obviously just treating them like a human being. But it's really nice to see that they're not being exports for entertainment.
Speaker 3: So we have Oh, go on, I'm just gonna say I've done that. That'smatross thing except with Mario Kart on three separate occasions.
Speaker 2: Love it, So.
Speaker 3: I just if I find it very relatable and I would like to watch it.
Speaker 1: Now, let's move on because we have spent almost forty minutes talking about what we've been playing and doing, So let's talk. Let's go into the news.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the news. This is the part of the show where we talk about the news.
Speaker 1: Ale all right, DC FanDome. Honestly, I think bigger than anyone could have anticipated when DC said they were going to be putting on their own event. We had trailers for Wonder Woman. I have not watched the Justice League trailer.
Speaker 2: I did. I was confused, Like I want to say, I don't care. I want to say one thing about the Just League trailer. It leaked, A trailer leaked before DC fandom, and literally everyone watched it, pointing and laughed and went, Wow, this is so shit. This is definitely one hundred percent fake, Like there's no way it looked like someone went so, this looks like someone's taking old footage from old trailers, stitches together and put the like a really awful, cheesy soundtrack on it to try and make it look bad, and then they showed the trailer and it was the same trailer.
Speaker 1: I just like, you know, if you're excited about the just Sleep the Snyder cut, then you know that's that's totally fine. I just I don't have it in me to care about that movie or hours a mini series.
Speaker 2: Now four hours. I think the weird thing about it. The entire thing was like, I'm with you, I'm really interested in seeing what it is and really interested in watching it. But there was an element of watching that whole reveal and watching the panel which was like everyone just treating Zack Snyder like he's some sort of god. And then also Zack Snyder kind of reinforce he was just done, but his whole thing was like he was reinforcing the things that people did to make it happen, and the way that people reacted bitter around it, and like the greater narrative around it, like I don't want to be mean, but it was a lot of people bullying other people about getting this done and being really shitty on the internet, and his like tacit approval of that is like, come on, man, And then he's out there, you know, attacking people who say they don't like it, which is like what you're doing, Like is this a good look for you? Like you're already your your movement is tarnished with being like a bullying like movement, and then you go out there and attack someone who said that they don't like what they see.
Speaker 1: It's weird. And I, I mean, let's talk about other cooler stuff from DC fandom. So the Batman trailer.
Speaker 4: Baby, oh my god, I'm alling.
Speaker 1: Like obviously, that was another one that leaked and I watched it out of morbid curiosity, and I.
Speaker 4: Was like, oh god, it was just a really good trailer.
Speaker 1: Trailer they've only shot.
Speaker 4: Oh really wow, Yeah yeah yeah. Georgia. Georgia watched it because she's like everyone's talking about this trailer, let's see it. She doesn't care about Batman or superheroes. She doesn't really like dark stuff. She was like, that was a really good, damn good trailer.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, so a really good Nirvana pick too.
Speaker 2: Robert Pattinson, Emo, Robert Pattinson.
Speaker 1: I loved Robert Pattinson is I love that they keep the eyeliner on his face.
Speaker 2: During that sequence his panel where they where they brought him on the stage. My man was in space high like he was he was not in this galaxy because like he was falling asleep, and he was like, would just watch it. He's like, I do not care about being here one Yeah, he was like out of there. He just like passed it on too matter reeves. The was like later and then we had him on site. Eddie did an interview with him about for Tenant and he talked about Eddie asked him what his favorite video game was, and he talked about how one of the few times in his life he cried was Final Fantsy vin Heiress Untimely Demise, and then he also called her his first love. I was like, I am all on board with you. He's one of us.
Speaker 1: My favorite thing to do is there's a great super cut on YouTube of I think it's called something like how much Robert Pattinson Hated being in Twilight, And it's just this cut of all the stuff he said in interviews, but also there's a lot of stuff on the DVD commentary Twilight. He just talks absolute ship and it's so clear that he just hated every moment of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've been, we've been, Lucy and I have been watching Twilight with a group, and it's very obvious watching the movie as well. I mean, and like the thing about the Batman trailer is like, that's what everyone who was attracted to Edward in Twilight, That's what I know.
Speaker 4: Like he's got like the clean hair and he's got the like the the pale skin like Robert Pattinson, but like he's got his messy hair down, he's got the.
Speaker 3: Like No, that's what I'm saying. It's saying, this is okay where you graduate?
Speaker 4: Yes, exactly. Yeah, Like I I purely think he just he didn't he didn't have the right look in Twilight.
Speaker 2: I think the other thing in that trailer is like Colin Farrell, I was Richard Nixon.
Speaker 1: He looks like the future. He looks like Futurama's interpretation of Richard.
Speaker 4: Not look like I had no idea until people say, what the old what is it?
Speaker 1: John Q? Nixon on it? Yeah, And also I think Paul Dane was a fantastic actor, and so I'm very excited to see and also Zoe Kravitz too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a that's a good pick.
Speaker 2: I want I want Batman to grab Ridler and shout stop crying your sniveling ass at him, just because that should be the reference for him.
Speaker 1: That would be very good. But also hang on, if he's British.
Speaker 2: That'd be yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Moving on. One woman. Trailer didn't do much for me. I don't hear about that. But let's talk about the games. So Gotham Knights, which is like having the gameplay stuff that they showed after as well, that trailer was really strong. I'm all in for Gotham Knights and Tim you were speaking to one.
Speaker 2: Of us Montreal just yeah, I talked to them this morning. So if you go on Hit video Game where it's GameSpot dot com, you'll find an interview with the creative director and senior producer of the game, and we talk about like just a bunch of things, like I clarified what the game is about and kind of like the the format of it, and they are very very clear about it not being a games as a service model, which is good, and kind of reiterated that it can be played single player or in co op is two player co op only, which it makes me slightly sad, but especially because there's yeah, that's the that's the weird thing, but like a lot of really interesting things in there, Like I talked to them about like their own reputation, like how they feel about themselves given that, you know, to start with, everyone was just like, oh, second fiddle to rock Steady. But then over time poob actually that Origins game was okay, it's pretty good. So there was that, And I asked him about whether Batman was actually dead, and they were very very clear about him being dead. But I looked at him, I was like, still don't believe you, Still don't believe you, and like they're they're currently like tweeting at me saying yes, he's dead, but I'm like, technically, if you're a talent, you are technically dead. So maybe he's pretending to be ted so he could be in the Court of Owls anyway, he ned shit like that. But yeah, I'm well excited for that game. Obviously, very happy to see w Montreal trying something different.
Speaker 4: And I really appreciate that it's its own universe that they're like, it's it can stand apart from the Arkham Games by being its own continuity. Like I think I like how colorful, the costumes are I kind of hope it has like a different tone like the Arkham games are like kind of get a little like brooding intense Batman, and I hope this is like a little bit more like like I think background this was little more fun, little more witty, and then like Batman was in like night Yeah a little. I'm a little worried about the leveling stuff.
Speaker 1: Wells just matter, nothing's gated.
Speaker 4: I guess it's more it's not like I think it's gonna be ruined the game. I guess it's more just like I don't I don't know what it'll add to the game, and I want to be like obviously we've seen so little. But I think for me, I see it more as like how I felt about the Last God of War, where I'm like, great game. I don't know if I needed any of that like crafting gear stuff in that game, Like you could have taken that out of the game and it would have been like totally fine, Like I don't think it needed it, and so they need to convince me that like the game needs this like leveling kind of like gear crafting system that they're adding to it, because I'm just I'm not I'm not sure if I'm convinced.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Well, I I was watching the game plan and I was like, please let me turn those damage counters off.
Speaker 4: Yes, I don't want to say I don't want to see that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I asked them about like balancing the damage numbers and characters and enemies scaling alongside you, and like they're The response was made sense, but it also kind of like it kind of explains that they want you to feel like the underdog in certain situations. They want you to feel like you need to be away, you need to go away and develop your because the whole thing is like, from what I can tell, it's not set across one They actually said, it takes place across an extended period of time where you're in the belfry during the day doing investigation and whatever you may be on the side, and then each night you go out into the world and control it. And the whole purpose is like you're basically building yourself up to prove to the world that you are the appropriate replacement for Batman. And then so as part of that, the impression that I got was like they need areas to be like this is too hard otherwise, so that when you are building yourself up, they those serve as an area where you can go there and feel a sense of growth, Like you couldn't do this before, but now you've come back, and because of all the hours you've put in the days previously solving mysteries and doing crime stuff and you know, being a vigilante, you're now capable of doing this. And the one thing that they briefly mentioned is like as you scale up, and as the enemies scale up, they change in their behavior. So it's not like just an arbitrary number where suddenly they're more power. It's like if you fight mister Freeze at level ten versus level thirty, it's a different behaving mister Freeze. And that seemed like it made a little more sense, or at least from a narrative perspective, it was more engaging to me. We'll see how it works out in practice, but I think I've warmed to the idea of the levels now. But I do wish that you can remove the numbers.
Speaker 1: So I think I think they'll probably see the feedback because I was a lot of the feedback that I saw on Saturday was people being like I don't want to see the damage. I'm doing impression of people like me. I don't want to see the damage cans. Let's move on to Suicide Squad, which we didn't see gameplayoff, but we did see a little pre rendered trailers Suicide Squad. It was one of those situations where it was like rumored for years and then they just tweet it out. I love the games that rock Steady make. This is a very different composition. Needs to be hard about the work practices of rock Steady right now. There's obviously a lot of stuff that's come out recently about some of the stuff that's been going on in the studio. I don't know how deep we want to get into that. Everything's still I don't know. Yeah, it's very very strange.
Speaker 2: We have reporting up on the site, and it's sticky and tricky to the point where trying to to kind of recall it and recount it from memory is probably a bad idea because despite best intentions, there has been various developments and if we, you know, recount it out of order, it could completely change the narrative. So we'll try and avoid doing that. But they're safe to say that there were questions asked around the working practices there and the abuses of power that may have happened. Like I said, we've got up to date reporting on the site if you want to read up about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so not to like it's it's very weird, as similar to the Ubisoft stuff from a while ago, where it's like hundreds of people work on a game and if you don't talk about it, you're kind of diminishing their work on it because it's like a few bad eggs ruin it for everyone sort of thing. So us talking about just asqu is in no way uh agreeing with whatever may yeah, endorsing anything, But it's like, yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Mean that applies to any situation like that, right, Like I mean, we have to deal with this is a quick aside. We have to deal with this a lot with with reviews. I mean, like you know, you've heard about like rock stars labor practices being suspect and that was right around red Ded Redemption too, And that's something I really had to deal with when reviewing that game. And you know, you do take into account that there are a lot of people who work on a game and you don't know as as just the person who's playing it. I certainly don't know who worked on what and during what times and how long each thing took. And there's just there's so many moving parts there that I considered them to be very separate. And yeah, in no way is like a good score and endorsement of bad labor practices. I think those things can exist side by side. So yeah, good shout Lucy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just wanted to stick someone like tweeted a bunch of us about not talking about the ubisof stuff, and I was like, oh, Ubisoft post show was just us ragging on yupisoff and not talking about this stuff, and like, we, you know, have condemned it then and we condemn it now. So I just wanted to make that kind of clear up front. But like, let's ungracefully segue to talking about it's very difficult to get a feeling for a game when you're just seeing and Trail does king shock in it. My Suicide Squad knowledge is begins and ends with the movie. I've never read any Suicide Squad is one of.
Speaker 2: The most heartbreaking things I've heard in a long time.
Speaker 1: I'm so sorry, you know, I mean, like, I love Holly Quinn and so yeah, I'm like cautiously optimistic for this game, like it's rock Steady. Everything they touch I've loved, and so I'm sure I'm gonna play it. But it's it's very strange because I just don't have a connection to those characters other than Holly Quinn.
Speaker 4: I loved the tone. I'm not the first to say this, but it gave me like mad Sunset Overdrive, which is one of my favorite games of this generation. So I'm like, all right, if Insomniac's not gonna make Sunset over Drive too, maybe rock Steady will. So.
Speaker 2: So the interesting thing about this is this is set in the Commune averse, so this is a sequel and continuation. Yeah, Gotham Knights isn't. This is so, which is weird.
Speaker 4: So that means when they're saying kill the Justice League, Batman wouldn't be in the Justice League at that point.
Speaker 2: He would technically because depends on this is gonna I feel like I might start by giving myself a waggie, but.
Speaker 4: What I'm saying doesn't take place after technically.
Speaker 1: Tom, can you get your glasses you?
Speaker 2: Technically that you're find Everyone reads Everyone reads the Nightfall ending as Bruce Wayne dying or Batman dying and just all like removing himself from the equation. But like, I think the other interpretation is like he that ending is him giving into the Batman fully, so he he kills off Bruce Wayne and becomes the Batman wholeheartedly by taking on the Scarecrow toxins. So when at the end of that Nightfall Protocol ending, those those goons in the alley like look up and they're like engulfed by this demon, I think that's Batman using the Scarecrow toxin to kind of up his fear level. So if you if that is the canonical ending, he's still alive, he's just a bit more extreme.
Speaker 4: I I like the idea of that as an ending. I don't like how vague it was. I wished I would rather they had like committed if that was what they wanted to do, they should have just said that.
Speaker 2: I kind of I think, I think that's a way more interesting ending. And then like saying one way or the other. I love the idea, but because that could be that could be like an entire that could be as reel for you know, like there's enough to think about that.
Speaker 4: You know what maybe maybe I'm just salty about it because you only got that ending. If you did all the goddamn Riddler trophies, it sucks and it was hours, and I was like, that was it, Like that wasn't worth it. So I was maybe maybe I'm just salted.
Speaker 2: That is a good reason. But yeah, I think weather. I mean, you'd expected Justice League would involve Batman as well, but in the trailer we only get to see Superman and he's like he brings up a a law enforcement officer and then incinerates him, and You're like, oh, Superman is not happy and we've got to kill him. But yeah, I like what they talked about briefly. They're like everyone feeling distinct and everyone feeling like they will play differently, and they showed it off a bit not in game players we probably in the traditional sense, but in like their vision for it, with you know, the way they move around. You know, you had dead Shot using his jetpack and that kind of stuff, and other people like hopping across the rooftops and King Shark being a shark. So yeah, I'm excited seeing more of it, and I'm glad that they've been given an opportunity to do like a tone shift. So I like a comedy because people were tweeting about how it's people who worked at the studio are tweeting about how this is one of the funniest games even worked on, and that's incredibly like exciting.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, and what let's quickly talk about cod blops cow uh launch within Warzone today very very cool. Well not launched, but like revealed with hin Wars and today very cool. Looked at the trailer sequel to Black Ops one, So Aaron Samson on our team has done a primer of what happened in Black Ops because that was ten years ago, and I feel like the gokeeper. Yeah, and I've forgotten a lot about what happened in that game, but it looks like Cold was gonna be a lot of cool stuff. Revisited some fan favorite characters. I'm excited for it, like.
Speaker 3: Fan favorite characters like Ronald Reagan.
Speaker 1: Well I was, I was talking more like no, I know, but I'm sorry Ronald Reagan.
Speaker 3: I do think there are a lot of interesting I'll start with the stuff that's interesting, like the like they kind of hinted at, like no kill options like non lethal for levels. Cold wool, not a lot of the not a lot of fighting, not a lot of battles in the Cold War. I don't know if we really studied that too hard in history class, because if you were in my history class, we stopped at about nineteen seventy and then they said summer's coming up, goodbye.
Speaker 1: But I mean in the UK never lend about it at all, so fine.
Speaker 3: So, but yeah, I think the non lethal stuff is interesting and fitting. I know that I myself a lot of us goofed on this today, but I gotta give them props for the option to have a gender neutral character. I don't know how much that actually does, but I do commend them for trying that. I like that it's gender classified. I find that very very funny in a good way. But I you know, as with anything you're gonna have, like like, I do think it's important because I do remember when they the first time they made female soldiers default. I think it was a ghost or something. It was like, you started out in multiplayer with a female character. Remember I remember my little brother complaining, it's like I can't believe, I can't believe they make you play as a girl. And I was like, they would make me play as a man my whole life. So and then he shut up, But like so, I I do think like that that was important for him, and I think sometimes this stuff can be important. A lot of people play Call of Duty at the.
Speaker 2: Same time, I really want you to make your your brother play Super Metroid.
Speaker 3: That you know he hasn't and that he knows he knows, he knows what SAMs is. He's played Super Smash Bros. He knows what Sam says, but what Samus is that she's a girl. And anyway, I think that, you know, Call of Duty is interesting because it seems like it to like, you know, this is totally just me. I don't know anything. I have no insider information, but it just seems like somebody there is like what if we made a statement and it gets edited out at the last minute, but there's like a glimpse of it in there. Like Black Ops three had like these glimpses of like talking about PTSD and they never quite got there, And you know they have like Call of Duty has this like really big like active military and veteran player base. I to be like to be that person. My therapist works with veterans and she's like, oh yeah, all of my veteran clients play Call of Duty and that's how she relates to me. So like it's I think there's like a lot they could say, and they never quite get there. So so I don't know if I have like high expectations, but I do like have hopes that there will be like there will be something cool in there. But then then the Brennan Ronald Reagan and they're like, oh yeah, we really studied a lot of Reagan speeches, and I'm like, that sounds really fun. That sounds like a great way to spend an afternoon.
Speaker 1: I'd love to do that.
Speaker 3: So I, you know, I just don't know where to land on it. Frankly, Yeah, yeah, that's fair.
Speaker 1: I'm interested to see what they do with war Zone, like staggering away from you know, the single player stuff. Warzon has become a real staple of my like online gaming recently, so I'm intrigued. Like Black Ops is always the cod franchise that I gravitated towards. It was the one the first one that I became really obsessive with in terms of the multiplayer, and I had the most interesting story, and so it's Raven doing the single player. It's not a Triarch software doing it, so.
Speaker 4: I'm actually very That's maybe the thing that's making me the most interested about it is I I love Raven. I think they're a super underrated developer who's made like some really really classic games that I love that I've never been like top tier but but are really good. And but they've been like stuck at doing Call of Duty multiplayer maps for years, so I'm really they're excited that they get a chance to do stuff again. Uh And and I'm they're bringing back some elements from like Black Ops two. Like, like Black Ops two had the the like branching story where they're actually multiple different multiple endings, the different missions and side missions, and they're actually bringing that stuff back into it because I thought that was so cool and I was really bummed that, like I assume that's where Caldy would have gone going forward, but that was the only game to do that. So I'm I'm excited that they're bringing that stuff back because thinking about it, like I enjoy a good solid like I'll just play a five hour shooting campaign, like I kind of grew up playing games like those, those kind of don't exist as much in the way they do anymore. I feel like most games are like third person action kind of like that's sort of the current like trend, so in a weird way, Call of Duty's kind of keeping that genre alive in a bizarre in a bizarre way.
Speaker 3: I'm totally right, though. My dad is like, like he he got really into specops the line and he played it like ten times, and he was like, Callie, what else do I play? And I was like, like, I was like, what do you mean. He's like, I just want like a shooter campaign and I was like, uh, And then I bought him a wolf In's Time. That's all I mean to. It's just yeah, Dying Breed for sure.
Speaker 1: I'm excited me too. You know what? Bring back trend Restna for the soundtrack, That's all I'm saying. But that was Black Ups.
Speaker 2: Too, so back ice Cube.
Speaker 4: He was in Houston Black opps?
Speaker 3: What about Avenge Sevenfold Hill Move?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yes, where's your God?
Speaker 3: Spirit? Em Spirit?
Speaker 1: All right, let's move on to listener questions.
Speaker 2: It's time for listener questions.
Speaker 1: Thank you jingle Man. As always, if you've got questions, email them to us at afterdok podcast against dot com or d M one of us message one of us for a invite to our discord, very wholesome and a lot of the questions from there today. So Tam, I'm going to read the first one.
Speaker 2: This is from serious business, from our discord and pretty much everywhere, to be honest. Bonus question, this bonus question.
Speaker 1: Okay, Maria asked another question last week.
Speaker 2: All right, right right, scones jam or cream? First, my fellow Brits will need to explain this one and the implication for one's character based on their answer.
Speaker 3: Quick question before you guys answer that. So Tomorrow said scone? Lucy, how do you pronounce it?
Speaker 1: Scne?
Speaker 3: You say scone? Which one is more posh?
Speaker 1: Tam, is this sc scone?
Speaker 2: That's that's ironic because I literally never eat scones, so I cannot answer this like if I eat a scone, I will almost will. I have never put jam or cream on a scone to.
Speaker 1: Eat it, so I've only ever done that in the context of I find it very like heartwarming in a way that you come to America and you call it and they call it high tea, because back in the UK we just call it afternoon tea. I have had it in you know, some nice places like Betty's in York is very good for afternoon tea. With regard to the Scone debate, people, yeah, very like, it's very very serious. In the UK, what I do is actually a cheat. I put jam on one side and then I put cream on the other, mash them together.
Speaker 2: I get Ski fruit yogurt and then get a packet of some vinegar crisps and then crush the crisps and put it in the yogurt and then eat that. Because that's the kind of trash monster that's what I used to do for tea, Like monstrous shit like that. Like I'm not eating posh food. I'm just looking at whatever we could afford and smashing it together to see what I could create. Top.
Speaker 3: Let's smash it.
Speaker 1: Let's smash it.
Speaker 3: So you know, we don't eat a lot of scones. I would say I've had them, but I'll say this, I don't put jam on my toast. I just do butter. I'm a big butter fiend, only butter, so.
Speaker 1: I also very much enjoyed butter. But I also have high cholesterol.
Speaker 3: So we're gonna Oh dude, I'm gonna have high cholesterol. I have some seriously disgusting I'm.
Speaker 1: Disgusted I have I have genetically high cholesterol from both sides of my family. So shout out to my parents.
Speaker 2: Eating butter because.
Speaker 1: You don't have to do this. Oh do you?
Speaker 3: Are you one of those people that's like eating just like butter straight?
Speaker 2: Just just get a block of butter, open it like it's a chocolate bar, and just eat the entire thing. That is that my teenage.
Speaker 1: Years because revealed this to us.
Speaker 2: You can absolutely crush internal sadness by eating entire block of butter.
Speaker 1: We were having dinner at we were at games Com. Hey, you know it's Games Come Week? What are little Games Come throw back? We were having dinner at that steak restaurant opposite at the Dorrit And I don't know how this came out, but yeah, you told us that story. And we were all just sat around the table being like, oh, like, we're all just very sad.
Speaker 2: Eating alive is not a good idea. I used to get loads of chocolates, assorted chocolate bars, put them on in one plate and then put them in the microwave and melt them all down and just do that rest of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I used to eat it with spoon. I just melted. I also used to make so I was very very small child. I didn't start growing like.
Speaker 2: Those big childs that exist, No.
Speaker 1: Childs, I didn't. I didn't really grow until I was like thirteen. I was and I was always the smallest in my class. And then when I went hit about thirteen, I just had the most immense growing what do you call it, gosper spur, I say, growing.
Speaker 2: Streak, actually killing it with the growing day after day, just growing, growing, growing, growing.
Speaker 3: It's just like this insane growing combo.
Speaker 1: And I just would eat. I would make a sandwich of salt, vinegar, crisps and kit cat and bits of chicken, and I would just eat that, like I would go through a disgusting amount of kats.
Speaker 2: Muted. John looked muted himself, and so he's just like making motions as if he's eating on which I'm a huge fan of white.
Speaker 1: I think it might be actually his mic it.
Speaker 2: Was crackling earlier.
Speaker 3: Yeah, while he's fixing a different question.
Speaker 2: Well, I was going to say another monstrous thing that I used to love to do, and occasionally we'll still do it. Because sometimes sometimes it reminds me of old times. Is I used to get, like I still get get peanut butter on one on one slice of bread and then chili sauce on the other side. What okay is I can't recommend it at all, but sometimes you know, you just want to eat something and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you just want to put it altogether. So I'm so please write in with your monstrous food creations. Ign have just had their drowning stories on the IG and UK podcast. We're having monstrous food combinations.
Speaker 2: Please please include the phrase Gordon Tamzy's Hell's Kitchen.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I have like a lot of food of versions, so I've never done like that kind of thing, but I'm the kind I was the kind of kid who would eat the same meal every single day and it would too. I still do that. Oh yeah, I still do that. Plain buttered noodles, no sauce, like plain vegetables. Just yeah, you know, I have dairy with every meal. I have just constant dairy.
Speaker 1: When I was a kid. My mom, I don't fault over this, she's a very busy lady, single mother. I didn't live with my dad, and I would just have like essentially like what you'd pick out from a buffet for a dinner. I'd have bits of cheese, crackers, cucumber, like little like individual salad bits, lettuce, maybe some fish fingers which they call fish sticks here that I discovered, and just like little random bits that would never really a complete meal. And so I feel like that's really not set me up in goodstead for adulthood.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I'm I'm horrible. I don't know how to cook meat. I was a vegetarian by pure just because I hated eating meat for ten years. I had my first cheeseburger at seventeen years old. I was in an out burger and then I was like, WHOA, why haven't I been eating these? And it's because my dad didn't season chicken. I love you, dad, He's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can. Now you have to tell us one horrid thing.
Speaker 4: That you eat, one horrid thing that I eat, or you used to eat.
Speaker 2: As a child. Oh man, damn. Joan Lucas clean. He had an impeccable diet all his life.
Speaker 4: The only this isn't bad, But I just remember that I have this very vivid memory. This is like not it's actually the opposite. I wanted as a kid. I was like four, and I told my mom, Mom, I want to have a salad, and I want to and I specifically wanted a salad. It was like seven o'clock at night and and I wanted to go eat it in the back porch and it's like pitch black and like turn the light on. So she like made me this salad. And then I went out and I like sat down the complete darkness with all like the porch light and I and I ate like two bites of the salad and then said no, I hate this. And then I went back inside and I said, sorry, Mom, I don't like the salad.
Speaker 2: I love that you kind of gave yourself, like you put in a college try into that, like you you basically gave yourself sensory deprivation to try and give this salad the best shot.
Speaker 4: I wanted to like have like a unique experience, like a salad experience.
Speaker 2: I would I would also give any amount of money to be like just watch a replay of you walking up your mom and going, mother, I want the salad.
Speaker 1: I like a salad. Please, Oh my god, all right, let's very quickly do this last question. Uh John, look you're back. Yes, I'll give this one of you.
Speaker 4: Sure, I definitely have the sheet open up.
Speaker 1: I'm I can drop it in zoom too.
Speaker 4: I can find it. I can find it. I'm totally on top of thinks today.
Speaker 3: I used to just eat peanut butter sandwich, one piece of bread folded only peanut butter, no jelly. That's my last one.
Speaker 1: I could really go for that. I've become really big into peanut butter peanut all right?
Speaker 4: Which question is it?
Speaker 1: Second one down from mister Footus yesterday.
Speaker 3: Which wants just a corrective fetus yesterday.
Speaker 4: Mister Footus yesterday says, what is your proudest moment in competitive gaming like PvP types of games, the things you brag about to everyone you did once?
Speaker 1: I I have one that's the thing that I brag about for the Office serieson because it's so shit. It's the time I'm gonna play the game watch you one that I'm still from you.
Speaker 3: So there there are ship this.
Speaker 1: Ship that I love doing in Overwatch, and one of them is unintentionally stealing to More's playing games because he always sets me up with like a really good czarreal and then I as Diva or junker out or someone just steal playing the game. But one time I got a play of I was playing a soldier on Route sixty six, and the play of the game is me immediately dying, then being rest by a mercy and then I just get one kill. But like the kill cam is so bad because I'm clearly disoriented from being ressed and I wasn't prepared for it, so I'm just like just pray and pray and accidentally get a kill. But I think that kill was a parah who was alting, so that's why. But other than that, there was a phase where we would play on PC where I players may and there was a one night in particular where Town was playing a lot as Ryan Hart and he would charge or he would use his alt and I would accidentally keep putting my wal up and just immediately.
Speaker 2: Blocking just every pin I went for. There was just a lucy wall right in front of me every second, to the point where I was like, I'm just gonna play someone else.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But my actual like thing that I'm proud of in competitive gaming is like, one of the very first times I've played Somber, I had the most incredible game. I've got a thirty six player kill streak. I got played the game by like using my alt and I think five people and I literally just went. I will never play Somber again because I will never reach these highs PC I play on console.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to talk about that one Brigida.
Speaker 1: Match, oh the time I got one hundred percent kill participation because Brigita was technically broken for a while. But I will take it. That's mine.
Speaker 2: I don't have I mean, I can't remember. Not any of that spring to my Like. I've beaten a few people at a street Fighter using one hand, which is pretty good.
Speaker 1: I do have a picture of you playing I think a street Fighter producer with one hand. Yeah, which was very good, man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a good I'm like scratching my chin with one hand and like playing street Fighter with the other. And the only reason I know how to do that is because Seth Killian did it for a while. He's known for playing one handed. So I'll try that. And I did that for a really long time, and now I have RSI in my hands.
Speaker 1: Callie about you, guys.
Speaker 3: I The other night I was playing Siege with Matt and Jake and I had a really good round and Jake said, WHOA where did that round come from?
Speaker 2: Wow, you guys are playing Siege. I've got Siege as well now.
Speaker 3: No. Actually, though I was at the Pokemon World Championships that go every year.
Speaker 1: I was really excited to go.
Speaker 3: This year, I was going to be in London, so that was a big bummer. But it's always like around my birthday too. Anyway, it was the Pokemon World Championships a couple of years ago, I think it was for it was before Ultrason and Ultramoons a couple of years ago, and those games introduced Battle Royale, and it was a four player like like one v one v one v one situation where you were trying to get the most knockouts and the least knockouts on your Pokemon. You have three Pokemon, and the game like the challenges like figuring out do I attack this Pokemon or am I weakening it soone slower Pokemon can like get the kill on it. So there's a lot of there was like a lot of like interesting strategical depth that I really liked. But it's not like an actual competitive mode. So I was playing a pickup match like a pickup tournament and the in like the state, like the what's it called convention center? That's not a coliseum? Wow, sounds more dramatic and cool when I say it's a coliseum. It is a convention center. And I came in second place with my team beaten only by a Japanese man. However, a lot of children were playing, but some of those children were cheating, so I still think it was a big achievement and I could play competitively if I really put my mind to it.
Speaker 2: I thought you were going to say some of those children were Japanese men.
Speaker 3: Some of them were using hack to Pokemon and their dad was like, here's your charger, sweetie, And I was like, your child's a witch.
Speaker 4: I used to be really really into the multiplayer for the Uncharted games like two and three, Like I played those like all the time, Like I went and went to the Subway and got the thirty day month or access to Uncharted three's multiplayer, which, for some reason, I still remember that as a promotional thing. If you've never seen it, go look up the commercial for it, because it's like Nathan Drake, It's like a scene from Uncharted three, but they like rendered like a subway sandwich and drink in his hand, and it's like Nathan Nolan North being like, hey, get this and you can hang out with me and get a subway sandwich. It's like, really good.
Speaker 2: Excuse me for a second. On charged Drake's footnot thank you.
Speaker 1: There it is there, It is, it is.
Speaker 4: But a couple of years ago, I was just like, you know, I'm gonna I kind of want to play Uncharted two multiplayer and it's like I pulled out the PS three and like tried to get into a match, and it took it took like must have been like half an hour to get in because like there is only like one match available, and it was like all the people there were like the highest rank possible, and like I guess, like that's all they do is play it. And I was like, oh, I'm probably gonna have a real bad time. I want to buy twenty kills and I was like, still got it. It's like all right, I'm good. I don't need to play this over again and then to shut down the service so I can't.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately like that, John Luke, guys, gone shut down, shut down.
Speaker 1: All right. Well, thank you everyone for listening to episode fifty six of Games after Dog, Let's go around the room. Tim, why can people find you what you're working on?
Speaker 2: I'm on Twitter tomorrow. Hey, you can find me there doing bad tweets. I'm working on Generation Next with Lucy. I pot up the interview for Gotham Nights. There's probably some other things I'm working on.
Speaker 1: You.
Speaker 2: I just cannot remember because this week has been one year and.
Speaker 1: It's only Wednesday. John, good about you?
Speaker 4: Find me at john Sake. I'm doing more of those cyberpunk lore videos with Jake. Hopefully the next one will be up soon. It's about Adam Smasher, who sounds like a d list superhero but he's actually a cyborg.
Speaker 2: Sounds like a h so.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I look forward to that.
Speaker 1: Kelly, what about you?
Speaker 3: You can find me on Twitter at Inky Dogico I n K I d O j I K k oh. I'm also doing bad and spicy tweets. I'm losing followers by the thousands.
Speaker 4: Your tweet today was excellent.
Speaker 1: Yeah it was bigs.
Speaker 3: I had fun. I tested it on some people before I tweeted it. Anyway, I'm working on uh, you know, editing reviews, so continue to read gamespots wonderful reviews. There's a lot happening. We have a lot of sports games coming out right about now in the next couple of weeks. We're looking at stuff like Avengers and others like like tomorrow. I am also very burnt out, even though it's only Wednesday. But there is a lot, like a lot of reviews. I'm looking at a my calendar. So please support this and you can catch me on some games comps you probably already did at this point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but we're doing another one. Oh yeah, we are posial and you can find me onto it early James Games, I'm doing Generation Next with Tam and Jordan, and this week we have special guests Michael Hyam telling us about TVs and monitors you should buy to enjoy PS five and Series X on on top of that, uh, safe State games com Uh everything really just around everything like ghost I don't know, I'm all right. Emails after that podcast at games dot com, message one of us to enjoy the Discord Server. We'll see you next week is