Speaker 1: You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind, a journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination.
Speaker 2: That's the sign post up ahead your next snap. The Twilight's on.
Speaker 3: Last time on the Twilight Zone Podcast, we gave you a glimpse behind the curtain on Sailing First twenty twenty five, and tonight we're going to continue that journey. But before we do, we're going to have a conversation with the man who brought you these conversations, and that is my good friend, Chad Ellis Boykin, the publisher at job A House Press. Chad, welcome back to the Twilight Zone Podcast.
Speaker 2: Fantastic to be here. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: Back, Chad. I think last time you were on the show, we were probably talking about The Twilight Zone IIQ, which you wrote, and it's an absolutely beautiful book. I think the layout and design of it is absolutely gorgeous, and of course I was mentally grateful to be asked to do the audiobook version, which is out there right now. So how's things with, you know, the whole publishing weld. You know, you published that book house the response been to it.
Speaker 2: So far, so good. You know, I read something recently someone said there's never been it's never been easier to publish, but it's also never been harder to sell, which there's so much content out there, There's so much great stuff. That's that's the challenge is just sort of getting it getting it out there. So it's kind of like that the best of the best of times and the worst of times too. But it's been a real fun journey, especially being able to do things like sirling Fest and did a couple of book fairs recently and that went really well. So I think that it's really a process of just getting in front of people, especially when you know, my buddy Chris, who did the audio for these recordings, are sort of sound engineer. He said, you know, it's hard enough to start a publishing company, and even harder than that is starting a publishing company that specializes in niche books, and you started a publishing company that's niches within niches, right, So it's like he said, you've done the hardest thing that you could possibly do, And I didn't really think of it that way. But it's really been fun. It's it's really I'm sure it's a lot like the podcast. It's like a lot of work, but it's something that feels really good to be able to create something and to when when you get that right audience or when you get those right people who are who understand it and think, oh wow, this is really something that I'm glad exists and I'm glad to have it. Really, that's really what makes it all worth it.
Speaker 3: I Mean you mentioned it there that you know, people say you can publish anything now, and maybe that is true, but to publish something with a sense of quality about it. Sometimes you get something and it just feels like it's it's just not quite right. But the Twilight Zone Hikup was a beautiful book.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: The layout that you used with the hikups on the pages was just absolutely so in tune with what that book should be that I think you really did great work there. But that was the first Twilight Zone book that you've published. What's next, What's coming out next?
Speaker 2: Well, what's next is we we just released the Twilight Rounds, which is at first just became aware of that in twenty nineteen, I think on the or maybe twenty twenty, when the Sarling Fest was online. Because of COVID, and I saw that one of the Raffle prizes that was being done was this book all about Rod Serling's experience and his boxing related writing, which I was familiar with the Twilight Zone episodes, but I didn't know about all the backstory. I didn't know that he'd had experience as a boxer at the time. And that's Chris Benedict's book. So we just released that in time for Surling Fest, and we really put a lot of work into making that the best that it could be, and Benedict got some great some great forwards done by some really real heavyweights both in the boxing and in the Surling and Twilight Zone world, and we got the cover art by Korn Shadney. So we really hustled to get that ready for Serling Fest to have that ready. So that's what's that's what's new, and it's hard to believe it's been a couple of months already. So now we're working on some other projects. We're working on sort of a Kaiju hai Ku book and then a book down the road about the links between Kaiju cinema and the world of pro wrestling. So when I say Niche within Niche we're definitely still doing that, but it was an honor to work with him on that project, and it was wonderful to have that ready for serling Fest and be able to get that in front of people. And I appreciate your statements about the layout and the layout of the Haikup to Twilet It's ow Hi Kup book, because one of the things I learned this year at surling Fest was when this I think was Joseph Doherty, he had said when he was reviewing Serling scripts, there was a lot of white space on the page, that he did that intentionally because there's all these notes in the margins and these were like, these scripts were living documents, and I think having all that white space on the page really unintentionally or unknowingly really dovetailed with what Serling actually did with the scripts, which was really cool. Cool thing.
Speaker 3: I mean, just to go to the Twilight Rounds for a moment, because Chris Benedict, he's not just a Twilight Zone fan, but he is like a proper boxing kind of efficionado. He knows the sport inside and out, to the two things kind of dovetail together beautifully. But you really kind of pulled the stops out with this one, because you know, Koran Shad Me a fantastic artist. I love his Rod Sailing book. He's been on the show a while ago, you know, met him a couple of times. Really great guy. But not only is it like it just a beautiful product with the Koran Shadmy cover, But I don't think it's any secret that at the moment I'm working on the audiobook version, and I thank you for that inviting me to do it. This just seems like a really great melding of people who have all kind of come together in this modern kind of Twilight Zone world. You've got you know, yourself as the publisher. You've got Chris as the writer, Koren shod Me doing the cover. You've got Uncommon Nasa, who is a great friend of the show, a great friend of mine, doing the kind of intro and outro music to the audio book. And then you know, gratefully, I am doing the audiobook myself. So I think it's it's just a wonderful testament to how Rod Serling's work just keeps inspiring people and keeps bringing people together, you know, oh.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent, And like if if you can't get Rod Serling to read the book. Then then you got to get Tom Elliott because I really you really have become the voice, the modern voice of this. And to be able to get NASA on the project too is just a real, real, incredible get. He actually had a I think a CD of Twilight is Own inspired music a few years ago.
Speaker 3: I think Minke swimming Pools.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Minke swimming Pools. And so having him attached is just amazing. And I think the work, the song that we were able to work with him to get is just such a perfect fit for the project. So it's really cool to be able to do the audio version. I think this is really going to be a standout, and I appreciate your being willing to do it because I know that your hands are full, just like me. You've got a day job and then you've got this. You record all these podcasts, You've done a series of audio books, so you it's not like you've got a whole lot of time on your hands. So it's it's greatly appreciated that you're able to make the time to do it.
Speaker 3: I'm glad to mine. I'm glad to I mean, this is this is road sailing This is the Twilight zur and I think anytime we can put our stamp on or get involved with it, I think it's it's very wealthy stuff to do. So time on the Twilight Zone podcast, we presented a bunch of interviews that you did with your friend Chris at sailing Fest. It seems like the time is taken away now, sailing Fest seems like a while ago. Both interesting people are interesting people, whether they recorded two months ago or ten minutes ago. So how was sailing Fest for you in twenty twenty five?
Speaker 2: Sirling Fest is always a great adventure, and I think there was somebody who on the chat was mentioning they were thinking about going for the first time. And I think more than one person said, you know, you can go to the big you know San Diego Comic Con or the Galaxy comm these things where you know you might be around ten or twenty thousand people with all kinds of things going on. But you know, in those environments you might pay two hundred dollars to spend five seconds with somebody, right Whereas with serling Fest, it is a it's a niche festival or convention, and it's it's incredible that we have it, because you really do get to spend time with the authors and the scholars and the people who are producing the new, the new, the new content that's carrying on this legacy, and you really get a hands on and an in depth experience there. So it's it's it's always a pleasure, and it's been different every time. And I remember last year you had mentioned, you know, lugging some audio equipment and wanting to do some recording for the show, but you got really sick and you had to muscle through to do your presentation and it was it was so rough. So I thought this year you weren't able to cross the pond, and you know, Emmy and Zach and a lot of the people, you know, Harold weren't weren't able to make it this year. And I just had this idea that I pitched to Chris, who was our audio engineer, and the guy's a genius, and I said, you know what if we could just do some interview and capture people and send it, you know, for the podcast. And said, yeah, let's do it. And so it gave us a challenge, but it was it was it really was a highlight to be able to do these interviews and it it it's a unique challenge, but it was a lot of fun and it gave us an opportunity to talk to people and get some sort of new material that it's yeah, so so really glad to be able to do that.
Speaker 3: Just to kind of peek behind the curtain kind of literally in this case. But at the last Sailing Fest, I was where I was on stage and I gave a presentation and so on, and I've said that a million times. I don't want to hop on about it, but I was just sick as anything, and literally before I went on, I was kind of a crumpled mess behind the curtain, you know, to the left of stage, and you were kind of looking after me. And I'm so appreciative of that because I was literally just sat in a chair, you know, barely able to do anything, never mind go out on stage and do a presentation. But you were like, do you want me to get you some water? Do you want me to say? You know, do this?
Speaker 2: Do that?
Speaker 3: And and I really appreciate it because you know, I went out there and I did it. It was fine. I wish I could have done better if I wasn't so sick, but I always appreciate that before that I had you behind the scenes kind of prop on me up. So thank you man.
Speaker 2: Well, you had a whole team, if I remember, I remember Emmy, and there was there was there was a lot of concern because it was it was pretty rough. But I'll tell you, I think the people in the audience, I don't think anybody knew. I don't think anybody knew that you were under the weather or how much it took to be on the stage. I mean, you were a true professional in that presentation. I'll tell you. The hardest part about it was I had to follow you and everybody left the auditorium to get to see you because it was like the Beatles were in town. So yeah, I don't think anybody there knew that how much it took, but it was inspiring to see that kind of like determination and professionalism at work. And so yeah, I don't think anybody knew it. I don't think it could have gone any better.
Speaker 3: Thank you man, Thank you. So my plan always was that I would try and get interviews with everybody at sailling first, and obviously I was too sick to do it. But this time, you and Chris stepped up and you did it, and I just want to kind of pay tribute, really, because it's not as easy as all that. It's not as easy as just kind of ten and up and doing this. You really need to be on your game. You need to have your stuff ready to go for when you get a chance to speak with these people. So it kind of becomes the whole focus of your day. You know, you can't really really relax when you're doing something like that. So I want to thank you and Chris for doing it and getting these great interviews for the show. Was the you know, any standouts for you in terms of the people that you spoke to.
Speaker 2: You know, it's going to sound it's going to sound odd, but really every single interview was a standout, And I mean, there were there were some people that I was really looking forward to speaking with. I mean, and there was a lot of buzz about the new documentary that's happening, and to be able to get a few minutes with Joanah Tullis, the director of that was was fantastic. But truly everybody had something unique, and every interview was this like living dynamic catches catch can kind of thing and there were a few people that I wanted to speak to, but like you said, it's it's it's kind of chaos, and you sort of can catch who you can. But yeah, everybody brought something unique to the table and every conversation. Listening back to it last week was really special because I'd sort of, you know, you do it, and you didn't. I hadn't listened back to any of them, so yeah, it was. It was amazing to get this diverse range of people who were all all inspired by the same figure, and just the range of you know, being coolly on NPR professors, authors, documentarians. You know, I think Mary Kate, who made the hats and was a first time vendor, her energy was was just amazing and inspiring. And you know, you make this long drive, I'll tell you the real one of the real magic tricks as we turned a nine hour drive into a fifteen hour drive because I missed a few exits and I'm not the best navigator in the world. But you know, you're pretty spent your shot. You've traveled. But once you get there, the energy of the people and all of these incredible, unique people just it sort of gives you that adrenaline and inspiration and yeah, the whole thing was pretty remarkable.
Speaker 3: I'm going to say here and now that you know there is going to be an in person sailing fest next year, I am hoping to go. There's a couple of things that need to line up for that to happen that I'm hoping that they do. So I'm going to try and start the buzz early. And if I can go, I mean, whether I can go or not, then people should go. But if I can go, I've said that a million times. I just love meeting people there and connecting with people who listen to the podcast, connecting to people who are Twilight owned fans, road sailing fans, and I just feel that when you are there, you're truly with your tribe, you know, and it's it's a feeling like no other. So what what is sailing Fest to you?
Speaker 2: Chat surling Fest? I think we're so fortunate to have it and every every I've gone three times and each time has been completely different. The first time in twenty nineteen, I went and I got to experience it from the audience and listening to all the presentations and meeting the people and going through that vendors room, and just being surrounded. You know, they have this beautiful old theater that this is held in. Just being in that theater is incredible by itself. And then the second time I went, it was the first year I was in the dealer's room and I was presenting, you know, on the stage, and that was a whole different experience. And this year, this year was all about the Twilight rounds, getting you know, getting that ready for the for the festival and setting up you know, the book signing at the Barnes and Noble in Vestal. They've let us generously let us have to you know, tie in surling Fest book signings and author events at that Barnes and Noble investible to invest two years in a row getting that coordinated, getting all the authors there, and then this year doing the audio and getting this sort of audio documentary done was so each year has been completely different. But it's I guess if I had to put it into one word, that word would be magic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's definitely a magic about it. You know, it really is a great feeling. So, you know, fingers crossed Man, next year, I want to be there. I want I hope you'll be there because I'm not sure we've actually had a drink yet. Chat you know, we've kind of we we cross paths in various ways while we're there, but I think we just need to sit down and have a drink and take this all in because it's it's truly a magical time, I think. So next time, we've got to do it.
Speaker 2: Man, we've been talking about that drink for years and yeah, it's always escaped us. But I'm having one right now, so I'll let that cat out of the bag.
Speaker 3: Okay, there you go, have a nice golden delight on the air. Okay, so let's let's go over to some of the interviews that you recorded a sailing Fest this year and we will catch you on the other side.
Speaker 2: Well, thanks so much, And I think this round there's some of the actual producers and people who make Surling Fest happen, and I've definitely gotten an appreciation for all the work they put in, like Tony and Nick Parisi and just the work that goes into this is tremendous. So it's I hope everybody enjoys this and it was a pleasure to do it. I'm here with Jeff and Andrew Serling, members of the Sterling family here at Surling Fest twenty twenty five. How are you doing.
Speaker 4: We're good, We're good. Thanks for thanks for having us.
Speaker 2: Absolutely And so this year is twenty twenty five. Is Rod Serling in his own words? How do you feel about that? That? That theme?
Speaker 4: It was good.
Speaker 5: We you know, we try to give a different theme to the to the Surling Fest each year. This year seemed really kind of you know, pushed onto rather than you know, us talking about what's going on in the world and what you know, you know, kind of the pulse of everything that's going on is really giving an opportunity to people hear from Rodd's earling, you know, in his own words. So a lot of speeches, a lot of his writings, and a lot of his works just really coming out less of the twilight zones and the night galleries and all that, and really more of the speeches and the things that he talked about from other places.
Speaker 2: And that's wonderful because we know he put a lot of messages into his shows and episodes, but this is just direct, you know, his his speeches. And is there anyone in particular that you're fond of did you have sort of input on what was selected.
Speaker 5: Well, it's part of the We have a committee that puts this together. So as part of the committee, we we had a lot of different ones we worked with and that we looked at the Library of Congress. One is always one that resonates with everybody, the one that Mark Mark Hallshaker did this morning, simply because when you listen to the words of it, it could have been done in nineteen sixty eight, it could have been done two weeks ago, and the words resonate just years later.
Speaker 4: So I think that was probably one of my favorites.
Speaker 2: And I just love that this so infest just really does. He never felt like his work would go on, but in fact, his work has gone on. It's it's one of the most He is one of the most vaunted and respected writers of all time, and this is really a way to just keep his legacy alife. Do you feel like this is doing just that?
Speaker 4: I think so.
Speaker 5: And I think the more people we bring in that have been influenced by Rod Serling, I think really kind of you know, gives you the opportunity to really see the impact that he made, not just in pop culture, but you know, the industry of writers themselves. And you hear about, you know, whether a writer has been inspired or a TV producer or a showrunner and all the inspirations. Just getting the people that we got here in Joe Dougherty and Frank Spotnitz and David b and Coldy and you know, just hearing their stories about the impact that Rod made on them throughout their entire career.
Speaker 4: David said it best.
Speaker 5: I think he was talking yesterday, or maybe it was Joe, but they were basically saying that so many people didn't know what TV writers were until they heard Rod Serly's name, and he was really the first identifiable person that they that they could connect with. Before that, TV writers were a lot of times people you think, in the back rooms and they were doing all the writing and stuff. But suddenly there was this personality and this person that came out on the screen. But it was also just an amazing writer. And I think that was a big part of his popularity, is the fact that he was not only an incredible writer, an incredible person, but also you know, kind of an on screen persona people can see him and they recognize him, and you know, it just kind of made him stand out a little bit differently.
Speaker 2: And what stands out, especially today, is that you know, Rod Serling was front and center as the host and the narrator and the writer. But it wasn't about him. It wasn't it wasn't about no furthering his own ego. It was always about bigger things for him.
Speaker 4: It was always about the words on the page. It always was.
Speaker 5: I think the fact that he was on screen added to the credibility and added to the kind of the lore that has made this last a lot longer. There have been some amazing TV writers, but sometimes you don't know what they look like, you don't know what their personalities are like. But he was one of those people that just simply stood out above everybody. And even though they were amazing writers all during the time period that he was producing The Toilet Zone, you still, you know, you identified with him, You could connect with him because you saw him, you knew him, and it was just it was an amazing thing he was able to accomplish in a day that writers didn't go on screen, writers didn't didn't go in front of their you know, writers were at the host of TV shows.
Speaker 4: But you know, he pulled off something that no one had ever done before.
Speaker 2: You know, and it's being here in Binghamton. Had said that no one can be a profit in their own hometown, and I think, you know, the sort of message of that is when you're in your own hometown, maybe people see you differently than the aggrandizement or But when I'm here in Binghamton, I feel like everybody that I meet has something that they're just as in all all of Rod Serling as everybody that didn't even grow up here around him. I mean, what do you.
Speaker 5: Think it's It's an interesting upstate New York, the whole area. So when you're talking to Syracuse and Ithaca and Inner Lake and Binghamton, there's just there's a there's a presence up here and people, you know, they found this person that that was relatable and it's one of their own, and you know, they talk about the homegrown kid that made good in life, and he was just simply one of those people that Binghamton has had a lot of, you know, people that have come out of there, but Rod Serling is kind of the child of Bampton, and I think it just resonates with people throughout throughout the community. You see it in the number of people that come out here and are telling their stories. And for you know, doing this as many years as I have, I have people that come in and some of the people that have been living in Binghamton for years and years and years would tell me, hey, do you have your grandmother's pickle recipe? Because when when my grandfather had a deli, my grandmother made pickles. I didn't even know my grandmother made pickles. But you know, you find these people in the community that just you know, tell you all these stories about Rod and my dad and you know, and my grandparents all living here and you know, being on Bennett and what parts of the community they are, and it just it just you know, like I said, it kind of warms your heart knowing that this is really like a second home for a lot of a lot of us in this Earling family. This is this is a second.
Speaker 2: Home for us. And yesterday at the book signing, Chris Benedict met someone who said, oh, yeah, you know Rod Serling Box at the y m c A. He trained there and he worked out. There's just one of a kind to be in a place where you can have that kind of insight, you know, just from people around. And so it's amazing to be here, and last year was the big statue unveiling and I think we've h he has would be surprised at how much his legacy has UH has influenced the world.
Speaker 4: Would be the first one to say, I don't know how he would react to this, but.
Speaker 5: I think he would be floored that that he's that we're doing festivals for him, you know, years later and you know, you know, celebrate his hundredth birthday last year and erecting a statue. I mean, these are things I don't think anybody really looks to and inspires to in life. But he made an impact. He made an impact on nearly everyone he worked with everyone, He touched every person that's looked at his work.
Speaker 4: He's made that impact.
Speaker 5: On people, and I think that that's you know, that's something that you know, we all can kind of aspire to.
Speaker 2: At some point. Absolutely, And with this, this is going out to a podcast that's hosted in Liverpool, England, is worldwide and any last thoughts for for the for the listeners of maybe what's coming down the road or any ideas you've got for future events or.
Speaker 5: Well we're always looking for you know, you know, Surling Fest is one of those things that we're always looking for ideas and you know, we we we scoured to find you know, new and unique ways of presenting this, and you know, we never want this to get old and stale where people will say, hey, you know what I did that last year. We want Surling Fest to be always an everything as Wow, they're doing this and look at who they've brought in, look at this new perspective and you know, the boxing perspective last year, the haikups that we brought and all the things that we do that are just just.
Speaker 4: That are different.
Speaker 5: People come up with new ways to honor and tribute Rod Sterling, and we want to make sure we're identifying those type of artists and the new writers and the you know, the people that have found influence and talk to people you know that have been influenced by him throughout the industry and bring them in and let them tell their stories. It's you know, I think that's really the goal through Surling Fest is really just not not to promote just the work and the twilight Zone, but it's really just you know, to show the man and to have the family come in and give you the opportunity to meet, you know, all the people that have been involved in his life.
Speaker 4: I think that's always probably the most important thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like the Twilight Zoners. Just the door you walk through and there's so much more on the other side.
Speaker 4: There's more on the other side, just walk through that door.
Speaker 2: Well, this is wonderful. Thank you so much for to speak with both of you. And yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, absolutely ask the question. Yeah, now, I'm thinking that Rod Sterling was kind of punk rock before punk rock was punk rock? What do you think?
Speaker 6: Oh, yeah, for sure. Yeah, there was lots of like music in the Twilight Zone, and I'm sure he loved like punk rock as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, And so what's been your experience, I mean, you've been I've seen you around. I've been to three of these and I always see her. What's how has this changed and evolved for you?
Speaker 6: Well, it's interesting hearing about like like his life, and I love hearing all the people's stories about how Rod impacted them. It was really cool.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Do you have any particular favorites, favorite works that he did or things that inspired you.
Speaker 6: Well, I do have a favorite Twilight Zone episode. It's it's timing to fit last and I loved the character and not the main character because he he met me, have my my grandpa. Yeah, so I decided to rep this Shart because it's my favorite episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah so your favorite character was Henry Beamish, Yeah, that was That was actually the episode that got me hoped when I was a kid. It was nice. It got me because I thought, you know, this, this person's the hero, he's the Protagonistbody's yelling at him. Yeah, he's the underdog. But then the universe sticks it to him. Right, It's like what But but it felt like he was telling me the truth. Yeah, it felt like he was telling me the truth like TV shows the happy ending and stuff like. It felt it felt that felt really like he was willing to.
Speaker 5: Now that's probably one of the out of all of his writings is everybody can see themselves in so many of the characters, whether it's you know, whether it's Henry Beamis or you know, really anybody. There's there's always there's there's there's good, there's evil, there's protagonists, there's antagonists, but there's they're relatable characters, and you know they're they're not people that you know, are the beyond the everyday man. They are really just people that you know, at some point you find something in yourself in some character in the Twilight Zone.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, yeah, that's that's wonderful. We've got the same favorite episode.
Speaker 4: I love that mine is Out to See a Flight thirty three. I love that one. That's that's the one that my dad and Rod collaborated on.
Speaker 2: Oh I didn't know that, dude. Oh yeah, tell me about collaboration.
Speaker 5: So I wrote about this in one of the newsletters that we did for the foundation, But uh, do we have time for It's a little bit of a long story, but so, uh, my dad and Rod were in California and Rod went into his office and he was picking up a bunch of mail and they had a mock up in an advertisement for a like a seven oh seven, uh you know jet that you could use for filming. And so my dad had horrible eyesight and he was not a very great driver. But Rod tossed him the keys to one of his brand new cars. He says, you drive, I have an idea. I want to think about something. That's where it was kind of born from. And Rod was talking. Rod was talking about, Hey, well would happened if there was a plane and it picked up like a freak tailwind, and that tailwind moved him back in time. And so he was talking to my dad about this, and my dad you know, kind of got you know, kind of interested in it, and Rod said, I really want to make this authentic, So I really want you to help me with the cockpit dialogue to make it very accurate. And many pilots who listen to it at the time said it was one of the more accurate portrayals of cockpit dialogue. If you go back and listen to the episode when the pilots and the copots are talking to each other, they say that that's that was the part that my dad kind of wrote with The funny part of the story is years and years later it became very much like the Serling fish story because the fish got bigger. First, it was a collaboration and he got a consultant's credit on the on the episode, and it was one of the ones that they worked on together. But then over the course of you know, by the time my dad was in his nineties, he co wrote the episode. It was one of those things where he just you know that the fish story just got bigger and bigger. The amount of participation he put in it, but you know, they were able to collaborate together. They had such an amazing relationship as brothers, and you know it's something that you know, I have two sons as well, so putting them in a relationship where they have, you know, hopefully the type of relationship that my dad and Rod is something that I've worked on as a father, and you know, I hope that they have the relationship.
Speaker 4: That they did.
Speaker 5: But it was it was a cool story and having the two of them worked together on a twilet so so honestly, a fly thirty three If when you go to the statue, you'll see that the odyssey of Flight thirty three is what we put in our brick. Yeah, so that's that's the one that we did, and Flight thirty three Forever was kind of our family model that we did for all the bricks. We did a brick for my family, my wife and my two sons, and we decided we wanted to do a brick for my grandparents, so they have a brick there and then my mom and dad we put a brick for them as well, and they all have the Flight thirty three se.
Speaker 4: Theme on it.
Speaker 2: That is beautiful and the big Fish story. I mean, the older I get, the better I was.
Speaker 5: Right, that's exactly correct. But it was so much fun. And I don't think you ever got a chance to meet my dad. But like I said, he was a character. And you know, so much of the two of them in terms of being brothers and how they worked with each other and how they supported each other is exactly how we all hope to raise our kids someday, because they just had this amazing relationship through life and it was really.
Speaker 4: Cool to see.
Speaker 2: But you had so many stories growing.
Speaker 5: Up of Dad had a lot of stories. Rod died when I was two, So like I said, there are definitely some some pictures of me and we'd go down to the cottage at kug all the time. But h but like I said, some of Dad's stories are just things that they did were just incredible, and like I said, it's you know, it's the type of thing that you know, this is why we like to come to curling fast and tell stories and get people to understand that.
Speaker 4: You know, Rod Surly was more than the guy in front of the television.
Speaker 5: He was he was he was a father, husband, you know, a friend and you know, anybody who met him probably has more stories that are funny than stories about his writing.
Speaker 4: It's just that's the type of guy he was.
Speaker 2: Well, I can tell you like to live on the edge. Because you got somebody with bad eyesight and you throw them your car.
Speaker 4: Keys, you'r got shocked.
Speaker 5: It was a brand new car too. That was the one thing my dad used to say. The only thing he was ever jealous is Rod had a new car like every other year, just because he was he was able to and so and Rod loved collecting cars. And you know, my grandfather loved it too, I mean so much so that he bought for the house in Bennett's.
Speaker 4: Which if you've ever driven by there is a really small one.
Speaker 5: He bought like a like an osmobile that barely fit, so they couldn't get their bikes in. So my grandfather built a Pulley system so that when they rode their bikes, it would go on a ramp up above the car and that they could move their bikes around and then get them down again.
Speaker 4: So that was something that he did.
Speaker 5: Because he had such a huge car, there was no way to get off to the side.
Speaker 2: You couldn't get the bikes in Oh, that's incredible. So I'm almost thinking of like et the bike lifting off the ground.
Speaker 5: Of It's kind of well, my grandfather was a was an aspiring engineer.
Speaker 4: He always wanted to be an engineer, so he was always tinkering with things.
Speaker 5: And so my dad used to tell a lot of different stories about things my grandfather built or things that he was able to work on. He worked on the panel and he and my grandmother were worked on the Panama Canal. I don't know if people know that. Oh, that's amazing. Yeah, yeah, and my grandmother were I believe they were part of the Peace Corps. But they worked on the Panama Canal in the mid nineteen or nineteen sixteen, nineteen seventeen, they came back because she was pregnant having with my dad, and.
Speaker 4: They came back.
Speaker 5: And if you go to Ellis Island, which we went to New York a couple of years ago before surling Fest, you can see their entry back into the US from Panama. So you can go look up the Surlings, and you can go look up Sam and Ester and when they came back into the US.
Speaker 4: So it's kind of cool.
Speaker 2: That is absolutely amazing. Yeah, Well, it's great to great to meet you, and I think this has been a wonderful, wonderful interview and I look forward to seeing you again absolutely.
Speaker 4: Thank you, appreciate it, thank you, good to see it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I am here with Tony Albarella. Surling Fest twenty twenty five. Tony, how's it going this year?
Speaker 8: Great chat, Great to see you again. We had a great time last year doing the book signing together and then sirling Fest and doing it all over again this year.
Speaker 2: It's nice to have you with us. Absolutely. So this year's theme is Serling, Rod Serling in his own words. Can you tell me a little bitout how that theme.
Speaker 8: Can just developed as a theme because we definitely wanted to. I mean, we always present the that wrote things that Rod said, but we wanted to really do an extra special focus this year just on his so much of what he did in speeches and what he did in interviews because the man, you know, everybody has access to the stuff that he wrote, the stuff that was produced. They can determine his voice and his politics and everything else from what he wrote. But in particular, he was such an intellectual man. He's such a well spoken man. It's a grate vocabulary and such a wonderful interview subject that we really wanted to focus on some of his non filmed work and bring that out for people who might not be familiar with it.
Speaker 2: And it seems like an unofficial theme is sort of like Serlings. How relevant Serling's work is today and for what's happened.
Speaker 8: I think that just kind of generated organically because this stuff that he wrote is kind of is kind of timeless. There's a lot of it that, you know, like Michael I said in an interview last night for The Loaner, he was writing about eighteen sixty five and the Civil War and the divisive country coming together in the wake of war, and he was writing this in nineteen sixty five, where a lot of the same stuff was going on with the civil rights movement and that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: So so much of his so much.
Speaker 8: Of history is cyclical, so so much of his work is timeless. It really applies to all errors, and it just seems to keep coming up and up and up over and over again. Things that we think we got resolved or that we made some progress on seemed to fall back, and it just it always comes around again, and we're at a particular high point right now, our low point right now, where things that he said really seemed to be prescient. So I don't really know, other than Mark Olschenker's Library of Congress presentation that he just did, I don't think any of it was planned to be, you know, overtly showing lots more political side, but just the fact that we are highlighting so many of his his his spoken word things, his his interviews and editorials he wrote, and things of that nature. So much of that comes out and really is applicable right now and.
Speaker 2: From this side of the stage, and really feel that. And you introduced the loaner last night. Is there are any any of the presentations you're really looking forward to this year or anything that you're.
Speaker 8: Actually looking forward to the majority of them, because even though I did the tech for some of them, and I received some of the files that people were going to run, I purposely just tested them and didn't even look at them, or because I wanted to. I wanted to see and hear them in context. I wanted our presenters to. I wanted to be a part of the audience when the presenters introduced the clips and all. So so all of it was gonna other than my own. Was was new to me and so far has been new to me, and I wanted to experience it that way, just like you guys.
Speaker 2: How do you balance the stress of having to be the technician and make all the things operations go and also enjoy it?
Speaker 8: You know, you just roll with it and you you know, you can deal with the problems as they come up. It's it's inevitable happens on this level of you know, production, so we just roll with it.
Speaker 2: Well, it's kind of like the trouble of being Santa Claus instead of being the kid that gets it right.
Speaker 8: You get to see that, you get to see the yells in action.
Speaker 2: Well, we're lucky enough to be tabling right next to you and you've got some absolutely beautiful hardback books. Can you tell us a little bit? Thank you?
Speaker 8: Thank you so much. Yeah, the Timeless Infinity series was a wonderful thing to be involved with. And this is the production in ten volumes and then an eleventh best of paperback version. This was put up a Gauntlet Press from two thousand and three, I believe it was till and put out one a year. So we did that project for ten years, and I was working on it for about twelve because I was interviewing so many of the people that were still alive at the time and involved in the series, actors, directors, producers, directors. Just because I had Carolyn Serling's involvement in it, I had so many doors open up to me and had the great pleasure of being able to interview so many of those people and frame Rod's original scripts. But that's what the series is. It's all ninety two of the scripts that Rod wrote for the Twilight Zone. And I'm very thankful to Galtlet Press for sticking with that project and being able to do that. It's a hell of a commitment. You know, a big hardcover, signed volume that's not cheap. You know they retail for sixty dollars apiece. That's not a great commit That's not an easy commitment for a publisher to make. And they did, and they stuck with it, and it took us ten years, but we were able to get every single one of Rod's scripts out there, and the ability to go through them and edit them and put some lost things in the books, or not lost things, but things that people just didn't know existed into those books and get that out to you know, the reading public who might want to see it. Was just a great, great privilege of mine.
Speaker 2: Well, it's amazing that that happened. I mean, was it a long process of getting them getting this?
Speaker 8: Not really no. I previously had originally started writing by doing an article on Earl Hamner because he was what we titled the forgotten Twilight Zone writer. He became so popular for the Waltons that and so well known for the for the Waltons and some of his other work that people didn't even realize that he got his start on The Twilet Zone writing eight episodes for the series because he had known Rod and when Earl himself was a novelist. But when he came to California to break into television, he found out that it didn't matter how many books, so how many best selling books you might have written, you need to have you need to have televi and credits, so you weren't going to break into the business. So he called Rod up, and Rod bought a couple of his stories and let him adapt a couple of stories for Twilight Zone. Not because Rod knew him, but because Rod liked the stories and and so that's how that's how we're all got his break, but a lot of people aren't aware of that part of his career. So I wrote that article on an interviewed Earl, and then that started a friendship with with Earl Hamner between myself and my whole family that we really cherished until the day he died. And it was Earl himself was suggested, well, why don't we put these scripts out in a book because they're already had a publisher. So I was more than happy to do that. We worked out a process and you know, I interviewed him exclusive interview through him for the book, and then I had been interviewing people I could find and actors and directors and people that were in his episodes. And we released that book of his eight scripts with my kind of commentary to support it from from the interviews that I had and that had already been out. And when Gauntlet saw that and also knew that through the foundation, I knew Carol Serling. They put two and two together, and so I wonder if it'd be if Caarrol would be interested in doing this for Rod's scripts, and so they approached me and I approached her. She was happy to do and I was certainly happy to do it, so that one happened kind of quickly because that groundwork was already laid.
Speaker 2: The hardbacks are absolutely looks like a museum. It looks like something that should be in a museum. How about the artwork for the covers, was that as.
Speaker 8: An artist, an in house artist that works for I don't know if I don't think it's exclusively what he does, but it's an artist named Harry O. Morris who works for Barry Hoffmann a Garnlet Press, and does a lot of his covers, and yeah, he's a very talented artist. In fact, I'd edited a couple of things with Richard Madison because Madison was also heavily involved with Gauntlet. Garanlet brought out a lot of lost Mathison stuff, a lot of stories and scripts that you know, had never been published before. And I don't remember the total of how many different Gauntlet books Richard Madison ended up doing with Gauntlet, But Richard really really loved Harry's work and had him do all of his covers, and luckily and we were able to get him for his time with his fit me too, because it's a little tricky. You know, we try to try to put one element from this series. You know, you've got the eyeball, the door, all that stuff. You tried to try to spread that out over ten volumes and it's not easy to do without a getting redundant. So Harryo did a lot of passes of colors and elements and really put his own stamp on it.
Speaker 2: Well, the finished product is amazing. Any favorite Hamner scripts or episodes of yours.
Speaker 8: I know, my favorite Hamner script I would say probably The Hunt, but it's but very closely behind that is Jess bell I just I just love his.
Speaker 2: Dialogue in that it is a beautifully shot one of the one.
Speaker 8: Of the better hour longs, of which there aren't that many that you would really include in your top Twilight zones, but I do love that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm with you on that. So yeah. Any last thoughts for our Serling Fest twenty five.
Speaker 8: I'm just so happy that we're doing it again, and hopefully we plan on we're going to do a little post mortem on this and make sure we want to continue to do it in person every year. There's some debate as to whether or not we'll do it, you know, alternately in person and virtual, but hopefully we do it in person again and time will tell. But I'm really really happy to have you guys show up again and all the people who came, just grateful to you all.
Speaker 2: Oh, we love to be here. This is just unlike any other type of convention. It's not like thousands and thousands of you know, different things happening. It's not a free ring circus. It's very focused and it's very much like a you feel like you know your people every.
Speaker 8: Absolutely, and it kind of hits all the buttons too. It's not it's not fan service totally, and it's not totally intellectual. It's it's a nice mix of both with the presentations that are in it and the people who show up.
Speaker 2: Like you said, we just.
Speaker 8: Wish Tom could make it every year, but I know that's that's a heck of a trip for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're giving him a little audio so he can do something with this. And it's brought people from all over the world. I met someone from Australia.
Speaker 4: Today.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think we had we had I believe you. I know we had counted out. I believe we had three different countries besides the US, represented this weekend. So that's that's pretty amazing.
Speaker 2: It is amazing. It's also amazing that I think it took me as long to get here as it took the Australia guy because I took some wrong turns I don't know how to use.
Speaker 8: It's not very surprising.
Speaker 2: Unbelievable, very surprising, but I'm an idiot. No, we can't go out on anything better than that. This is the perfect fish.
Speaker 1: But you take it as you wanted.
Speaker 2: Wonderful. This is fantastic as always, Tony. It's always great to see you.
Speaker 3: Thanks.
Speaker 8: I appreciate it all right.
Speaker 3: So, unfortunately a technical hitch meant that the first part of this interview isn't available. Well, hopefully you will recognize the voice because this is the voice of Joseph Doherty, who wrote Rod Sailing Get one hundred one writer's acknowledgment, and you gave a great interview here on the Twilight Zone podcast. So let's go over to Chad's chat with Joseph Doherty.
Speaker 2: Now, now you have the days of streaming, but there was something about staying up late, not knowing what was going to.
Speaker 9: Be on and having to see it when it was on exactly if you didn't, it would just go away.
Speaker 2: So what was what was the zeitgeist like at that time? What was the reaction of your friends and felt like? What was the reaction people were having during this first run of the series.
Speaker 9: My memory of it basically was that if you realized it was something that was like nothing else that was speaking to you directly because it was at the time. You also have to remember that at the time science fiction was not really anywhere near as respected as it is today. It was considered kid stuff, which is one of the reasons he was able to do the show the way he did and talk about what he wanted to talk about without upsetting sponsors who were rather literal minded people.
Speaker 2: And do you think those messages got through. Absolutely.
Speaker 9: I think the fact, the very fact that we're sitting here talking about it is it has to do with why the impact he's had. It's just that we still talk about it. And I think we're up to now easily three, possibly four generations of writers who have been inspired in some shape or another by his view of of drama. They never wrote, you never wrote an insincere word.
Speaker 2: It's life. And do you think that he shaped the medium?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 9: I think you could make an argument that Rod Serling is the first showrunner. Before then, you had hosts of antology shows, but they usually were just that hosts. Alfred Hitchcock didn't write any of the Alfred Hitchcock Resents. But here here was the guy who wrote the show as a prime and produced them, and he was presenting them to us. I think you I don't think you get Roddenberry and people like that without without the control that Serling had, and at least Twilight zoned.
Speaker 2: Him, and so he really started the show runners for somebody that doesn't know, like what what is the showrunners?
Speaker 9: There are as many ways to do it as there are shows, but primarily you're the guiding vision it this. You know, you're talking to writers, you're shaping it. With writers, you're you're laying it. Go off and find their own path. But then you help them. You're watching everything. You're on the stage, you're looking at the cuts. You're the final cut before the studio sees it. It becomes your vision. It's it's you're allowed to do your vision. It's it's it's not an easy job. That's why only a certain number of people get to.
Speaker 4: Do it well.
Speaker 2: And you were a showrunner as well.
Speaker 9: I was a showrunner, and it was incredibly frustrating. And then I decided what I wanted to do was was a writer director as opposed to a showrunner.
Speaker 2: So I didn't so I didn't want to. Very welcome for authors who have written books about and inspired by the Twilight and its iconic creed or local hero rods, local.
Speaker 10: Heroes in the center.
Speaker 2: Of our stores take up the side copies of their books today now.
Speaker 8: And it's always thank you for shopping.
Speaker 2: At It's really cool. I hope the microphones picked it up, are they?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 9: I mean he was the first person as a writer who basically was in charge of it and wanted to tell his stories and it yeah.
Speaker 5: It.
Speaker 9: I was a showrunner, so I know precisely how hard a job it is, and it takes it took a lot out of him. It's why, you know, he says, it's a young man's job. He says, he he said, I've quoted no where it's from, but basically said, it's not a job for anyone over forty. It's just will burn you right out.
Speaker 2: And so and following in these footsteps and being inspired by rot sarying if you were a comic book character, what would be your Rod Serling origin story? How did how did you know? You stayed up late? Your parents let you sit up and watched it. Was there any episodes that really spoke to you or any particular aha moment of well.
Speaker 9: All of the classics hit me the way they hit me, But frankly, just to just to talk about what we're going to be doing later tonight at the festival is I'm going to introduce what I admit is my favorite episode, which is on Thursday.
Speaker 2: We leave for home.
Speaker 9: That might have been the aha as well. You know what, I'll claim it is the aha.
Speaker 2: As a writer, it was Oh, if.
Speaker 9: I could do that, that would be a great thing to do.
Speaker 2: It was absolutely no wasted words. It was.
Speaker 9: It's an amazing fifty minutes. I've never seen it with an audience, so I'm kind of looking forward to seeing that tonight. And and yeah, I'm going to do a little spiel in front of it, which hopefully won't embarrass myself or anyone else, but I want people. I want to set it up a little bit about where he comes from and why I think he wrote it.
Speaker 2: Really, he did wonderful and it's it's a resonant today.
Speaker 9: Yes, well that's he doesn't go out of style because I don't think the thing the kind of personal responsibility and humanity that he was interested in and wrote about, it's basic.
Speaker 2: Core and you core people. You can see all sides.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, there's something there. You can you can find something.
Speaker 2: Looking very forward to it. Last year I was asked what the favorite episode Wasn't that was the one I named, even though depending on the day right it can change. There's so many that can change.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and it's the first hour, the hour episode they've shown at the festival, so I'm pretty pleased about that. I kind of I said, I would like to do something, and this is what I would like to do is I would like to present this episode wonderful.
Speaker 2: I'm looking very forward to hearing it. I appreciate your time today, And this is for Tom Elliott in the Twilight Zone podcast. If you have a message for Tom, I know he wanted to meet you and he was hoping he could get a chance to meet you, but he wasn't able to be here, So feel free if you have anything to say to him.
Speaker 9: Well for you know, Tom, continue the good work. And if we don't do it this year, we'll do it next year.
Speaker 2: Wonderful, Thank you so much.
Speaker 9: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Joseph Jordan's I'm here with Joonah Tulis and he is working on a brand new documentary of Rod Serling. Great to meet you.
Speaker 11: A nice meet as well.
Speaker 2: Wonderful. So you gave a little preview, little three minute snippet. Can you tell us about the how did this film come to be? How did this project get started?
Speaker 11: Project got started? I was on a zoom call with the guys at Appian Way, Leonardo DiCaprio's production company, and they were talking about different ideas and different things they were passionate about, and Rod Serling was one of them, and they'd been in touch with the estate and I jumped at it right away, and I know it was very interesting at first, but then I did sort of more of a deep dive and found all these Dick debut recordings and then I was like, oh, wow, there's a much bigger story here than I even imagined.
Speaker 2: Ooh, So, I imagine it's got to be difficult to come up with what specific pieces to use and what story you want to tell. Yeah, imagine that's still evolving, right.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it is still evolving. We're getting close, but there's so much out there, and there's he really had so much to say and he was so prolific, So it's you know, it's a lot to fit into one hundred minutes, but I think we're close.
Speaker 2: Amazing. Were you a fan to begin with or from childhood or when were you first What was your origin story with like the Twilight Zone and Serling's work.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I was exposed to, you know, watching it and syndication in the nineties with my dad and time and flast was probably my favorite back then. It still might be, but there's some others that are in close intention and yeah, yeah, but I've always been a fan and sort of it was that, you know, focusing on the Dock was sort of finding that next level and sort of understanding all the sort of different beats of his life, sort of specifically involving with his activism and social and respect for social justice.
Speaker 2: Awesome and how has how is your production? Sort of you mentioned the PBS documentary from a few years ago. It seems like you have a different I think it was almost thirty years ago. Well thirty, It make me feel old now. You got to just go with me and say it was ten.
Speaker 11: I'm not exactly sure of the year. I thought it was the nineties, but someone said two thousand. So but I'm watching it off of a copy I found somewhere that's VHS copy of a VHS copy, So maybe I got tricked into the tricked in the actual year.
Speaker 2: So you're sort of going in a different path. So there's gonna be some reenactments or is there.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I wouldn't call them traditional re enactments, but they are sort of We shot four three black and white, you know, recreations of Rod's old office and sets and sort of that's the visual language to complement sort of, you know, I would say a good portion of the film is Rod speaking and archival. There's no sit down interviews. It's all from that era, like a time capsule.
Speaker 2: Oh that's amazing, because he did he used that dictaphone a lot, so you're gonna actually use his actual voice. And yep, and the theme this year is Rod serling in his own words. So that's a perfect, perfect encapsulation. So we're looking forward to this documentary and any anything else you can share that you'd like to share.
Speaker 11: No we're excited to get a cone and should be out sometime in twenty twenty six more soon.
Speaker 2: And the fact that Leonardo DiCaprio, I think people have heard of him, he's he's pretty fantasy. He's that he's a fan is really really amazing. So we look forward to seeing more. And thank you, so thanks for having me great, Thank you. Hi. I'm here with Nicholas Parici. He is the author of the definitive biography Rod Serling, his life, work and imagination. Unfortunately it's no longer hardcover. We got soft cover only now, but it is. It is the definitive tone and we are here at the Barnes Noble right before the Serling Fast kickoff. Nick, how are you doing, sir? I am doing great.
Speaker 1: Chad, how are you doing?
Speaker 2: Wonderful? It's amazing to see you. And so Rod Serling origin story. You're a comic book character. How did this start? What's the what was the flash of inspiration?
Speaker 7: Well, in terms of my fandom, it started with The Twilight Zone. Like so many other people, I started watching when I was a kid and became enamored with the Rod Sterling as a presence as a writer, as an orator, his speech patterns, you know, the way he used the language, and that's what drew me into the Twilight Zone to begin with. And then gradually I became aware of all the other things that he had written and became obsessed with trying to find out about all these other things that he had written, and that was really the impetus.
Speaker 2: For the book. Amazing. Now, if there was one thing that your average Twilight Zone fan that you could tell them, if you haven't seen any of his other work, what would you steer them towards?
Speaker 3: Oh boy, there's a lot.
Speaker 7: Actually, one thing, I guess. I mean, part of the reason for writing my book is that so much of the stuff that really was great.
Speaker 10: Is not generally available.
Speaker 7: So if I'm going to steer somebody towards something, I'd like to steer them toward something they can actually get a hold of. So from that standpoint, I would certainly recommend The Loaner. The Loaner was a Western series that he wrote after The Twilight Zone and it was released on DVD about ten years ago, I guess at this point, and I think it's a fantastic piece of work. It's about twenty six episodes and road Road fifteen of them, and I think he does some of his best writing for the Loaner, So I would certainly recommend that we're going to be screening an episode of it at this year's Sailing Fest, and other than that, I would just generally point people towards Playhouse ninety. I mean, Rod wrote ten episodes of Playoffs ninety and I think they're all terrific, So they're generally you know, again, they may be hard to find. A few of them are available on DVD in commercial box and commercial collections. Some of them you can find on YouTube, but those be the two that jump to mind.
Speaker 2: Fantastic and if you can't find them or get ahold of them, you can read about them my correct.
Speaker 7: Yes, the idea of the book was part of the idea, anyway, was to inform people about everything that Rod Serling had written that had been produced, so if you can't get a hold of it, you can read a description of it in my book. So it's the way I structured the book was to give people a when they read it. I hope that they come away feeling like they have watched some of these even though they haven't seen them, because I give more than just a one or two line, you know, description the way that you know TV guide might This is an actual, you know, synopsis of the whole story that we're talking about. So so yeah, so pretty much anything that you might be interested in that Rod Serling wrote is covered in some way in my book.
Speaker 2: And this is absolutely a definitive tone. Was there any surprises when you were doing the research and writing. Was there anything that surprised you or that that really that you weren't expecting that you came across.
Speaker 7: Or the surprises were Some of the surprises were, as I detail in the book, and as you probably know, Rod Serling was his own harshest critic.
Speaker 2: He was.
Speaker 7: He was very very hard on himself. He never gave himself a break. So some of the surprises were things that I watched or read that turned out to be really, really good that Rod Sterling had denigrated over time, you know, things that he said, oh, this was terrible or whatever, and then I watched it and.
Speaker 3: Realized it was really good.
Speaker 7: And again that's primarily just because Rod was so hard on himself. If something was great, Rod thought it was passable. If something was good, he thought it was terrible. You know, that's just the way he was. So some of that surprised me. The other thing that surprised me, I think is I go into some detail about the genesis of the script Noon on Doomsday, which was Rod's attempt to tell some version of the mb Till story on television, And after reading the first draft of the of Nowon on Doomsday, I think I came away with a whole different version of that story that you won't find anywhere else but in my book.
Speaker 2: And so you detail that in the book, and so you actually get to know what the real story was before the censors and the sponsors.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and to spoil it to some extent, what I found was that the Rod's very first draft was not all that different than what ultimately aired. So I go into some some detail about what the actual censorship of that script was, and like I said, I think it turns into a story that a different version of that story than you've ever heard before.
Speaker 2: It's amazing. I think that now is a time where I've really looked at Rod Serling as a figure who you wish he was here today because it's a voice that we need, and.
Speaker 7: No doubt I hear that all the time.
Speaker 2: I think that all the time.
Speaker 7: You know, the thing that we hear at the Foundation and the things that I hear by email, by messages that you know, we really could use Rod Sterling's voice right now. It's not the twist endings at the end of the Twilight Zone episode that people are missing. It's Rod's moral compass and Rod's moral certitude that people are looking.
Speaker 2: For right now.
Speaker 7: And yes, Rod would have a lot to say about everything that's going on in our country right now, and I wish you were here to hear what he had to say.
Speaker 2: Absolutely feel exactly the same way. And when you say that Rod Serling was sort of self deprecating, you feel like that was genuine. He really did feel that he was a harsh credit. It wasn't so much sort of tongue in cheek.
Speaker 7: I think Rod was somewhat insecure about his own abilities and about his own talents. And yeah, I think it absolutely was genuine. He was also very very sensitive. He was very sensitive to critiques and to criticism. His brother Robert would say that Rod could have a show on the air and the next day he could read ten glowing reviews and then one bad one, and he would totally forget the good ones, and it was the bad one that would stick with him and that he would be upset about for the night and for the rest of the day. So he was very sensitive to that, and then he was just very hard on himself too. He always believed that he could do better, he could do more.
Speaker 2: And what a tragedy that he wasn't around to see that there's a statue in Recreation Park that's been erected, that there's an entire foundation, which you're a big part of, that is dedicated to preserving his legacy and his works, and how he has stood the test of time and is still standing the test of time. He would be amazed.
Speaker 7: I'm sure he would be absolutely flabbergasted that there is a statue of him standing in his hometown, that there is a foundation dedicated to his work, that so many people have come out to say what an influence he was on them.
Speaker 2: He would be amazed.
Speaker 7: I mean, he very famously said, you know, what I've written is momentarily adequate. You judge good writing by its lasting qualities, and nothing that I've written will last one hundred years. Well, it's been one hundred years since he was born. It's been fifty years since he was gone. It's been sixty five years since the Twilight Zone ended, and we are certainly we're still talking about Twilight Zone now, We're still talking about Rod Serling now, and one hundred years from now, we'll still be talking about Rod Serling. So his work has shown how wrong he was in that estimation.
Speaker 2: And this year's Serling Fest is Rod Serling in his own words, and I think that's a wonderful theme. Any preview of this year's events or maybe what's coming down the road.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Well, on Saturday particularly, we're going to have you know, it's an old day of series of events, and we're going to be showing and screening some interviews with Rod Serling that you've never seen before, one particular one interview, particularly one speech particularly that you've definitely not heard before. Some clips that you have not heard before. So we're trying to give people a taste of again, Yeah, definitely Rod Sterling in his own words. You know, a lot of us, and I think I'm just guilty of this, or more guilty of this than anyone. We're attempted to speak for Rod Serling, you know, because he's not here and we feel like we're experts on him, and but it is it is a risk that we run. So this year we wanted to be real clear that we're going to let Rod Serling speak in his own words. We're going to let Rod Sterling tell you what he thought of the issues of his day, which unfortunately are very very relevant for today.
Speaker 2: Oh well, that's incredible. Thank you so much, Nick, And this has been a wonderful event here to kick off Surling Fest. And thanks Jad, it's great to talk to you. Great great as always.
Speaker 3: So there we go. That was our COVID of Sailing Fest twenty twenty five. What a pleasure, What a pleasure to listen to these people and chards you mentioned before we started playing those interviews about people, the people who put their time into organizing this convention, all of the board members of the Rod Sailing Memorial Foundation, Nick Parisi, Tony Alborella, all good friends, all great people. But also I think Nick actually said it that Jeff Sailing, who was a relative of Rod Sailing, he's obviously part of the Sailing family, was a big part of the organization this year. He put a lot awake in and I think that's just such a lovely thing to have the sailing family so connected to this. So, you know, well done to Jeff and everyone involved. I think it's really great to see.
Speaker 2: Well absolutely, and it was really such a pleasure in an honor to speak to Jeff and Andrew Serling this time around. I think we had a really good interview with them, and they were actually the first people that I saw this year. Went over to the Lost Dog Cafe, which has become one of my favorite places to go when I'm in town, and there they were, and I remembered them, you know, from seeing them last year and meeting them, and they were also you know, greeting people at the door or thanking them for being there. I mean to, like I said, to be able to spend time with these people is just incredible, right, You're not paying five hundred dollars and waiting five hours on the line for two seconds of somebody. This is and to be around the people who grew up with Rod Serling. I remember one of the people that we spoke with at the Barnes and Noble event, they said, hey, yeah, they were talking to Chris Benedict and said, hey, yeah, I know, you know Rod Serling used to box over at the YMCA right here in town. You know, my dad knew that and stuff, and so you get to have these kind of experiences of the people you know right there in town, who who grew up with him and knew him, and everybody's just so gracious and yeah, just fantastic. But yeah, Jeff, Jeff and Andrew were fantastic to talk to you.
Speaker 3: Okay, we will leave it there. We will leave it there, because man, I wish I could have been there, But I am so hoping to be able to go back next year. Things are looking okay and if the stars aligne I want to be back among you know, our people, that the Rod Saling people and Chad. I want to thank you and Chris for all the hard work that you put in to make this coverage possible. So thank you so much, Min.
Speaker 2: It was an honor to do it. And fingers crossed for next year. I can't wait to see what's in store.
Speaker 3: So now that you've heard from the people who put the event together or presented at the event, I'm going to play out with some audio from a friend of the show, Joe Brown, who was in the audience. So he can give that perspective. So if you went to Sailing Fest twenty twenty five, I hope you had a great time and I hope to see you the next time.
Speaker 1: By for now, Hey, Tom Joe Brown here, just want to leave some feedback on the experiences at this year's Serling Fest. However, I'm not alone on this journey. My good friend John Harbor went with me. Hey everybody, Hey, we just want to share our thoughts on what we saw, what we heard, and what we took away from this year's event. So Friday, we get to Binghamton in the afternoon, we went to the hotel and got squared away there, then went over to the bookstore for the book signing. So we get there in Chris Benedict, who's the author of The Twilight Rounds, Chad Boykin, the author of The Twilight Zone Haiku, Nick Parisi, author of Rod Serling his life, work and Imagination, and finally Joseph Daugherty, the author of Rod Serling at one hundred one Writer's Acknowledgment. All four of those authors were there and I purchased three of the four books because last year I had met Nick and got him to sign one for me, I had the other three guys all signed their books and spent some time talking to each of them. On an interesting note, I talked to Joseph Doherty and I mentioned your interview with him on the podcast, and I had mentioned we had listened to it again on the drive down from the Syracuse Airport. He got really excited and he's like, yeah, I remember that. And I told him was hey, man, I really appreciate your candor and the interview was really well done that you had done with him, and he remembered it very well. So after the bookstore we headed over to the Forum Theater on Friday. They had scheduled Friday Film Night with an episode showings of On Thursday, we Leave from Home, an X Files episode called The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat, which had a Twilight Zone sequence embedded in the storyline. Then they did a showing of the first episode of The Loner called an Echo of Bugles Now. This one also included a promo film that Rod had made in order to sell the show to the sponsors. And this is a rare event because I had never seen this before. But it was always good to see those I remember. It reminds me of the first one of the Twilight Zone when Rod did the pilot film for Where Is Everybody to try to sell the show. Well, anyway, let's talk about let's talk about Friday, John just a little bit. If you remember when the when the speakers came out. First we heard Frank spot and it's uh, he had talked about being inspired by Ron Serling. And then we heard from Joseph Doherty who introduced on Thursday we leave for Home, and he talked about the leadership aspect of the episode. And then Tonyl Aborella talked about authority and also leadership and the loaner. Would you take away from those three speakers on Friday?
Speaker 10: Well, I think it was interesting to me the effect and the impact that Rod had on all of their lives, the way they right themselves their ideas. And also I had never even heard of the loaner. That was a kind of a shock to me, and I thought that was as well. Yeah, and that's a good show. But hey, let's talk a little bit about Saturday.
Speaker 1: So I get a kid kind of this. I'm getting ready to talk about it. So we get there at the Forum Theater and there's a raffle table set up and it's got about thirty things on it. And you weren't too lucky here, Worr you Johan?
Speaker 4: Did you win anything?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yes, I did imagine that. I won.
Speaker 10: Any Twilight Zone T shirt and DVD and a little writing tablet in the first raffle, and then the second raffle was a group of three Planet of the Apes figureines.
Speaker 1: And so would you spend on that? John? Two dollars and I spent forty and didn't win anything. Yeah, I like it. Yeah, I bet you do. So, so I'll tell you what Saturday when we got there, a large segment all day was going to be filled up with these events. But I think it will buy really fast because the theme of the event was Sertling in his own words and a lot of what we heard. That began with Friday night, it segued into Saturday, and it opened up with an audio of Rod's Library of Congress speech that was presented by Mark Olshaker. This was very powerful stuff. Now, Mark's relationship to Rod Serling is he met Rod when he was fourteen years old and continued to correspond with Rod through his formative years of being a journalist. And Rob was kind of his mentor, it was a really cool story that Mark told. But this Library of Congress speech was really, really good.
Speaker 10: I would agree that that was fantastic from beginning to end.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just it was. I mean, the way he addressed those concerns and how he felt about his writers to have the freedom to do what they needed to do and talked about freedom and speech. It was really good stuff. So Amy Boyle Johnson spoke next. She's the author of Unknown Serling. My takeaway from her speech was referring to Rod's experiences in the war, and then the Planet of the Ape screenplay. The Wrong End of the Banana was the title of her presentation, and it came from an excerpt from an original line of Rod's screenplay, and what Rod wrote was the protagonist gets into a cab driven by an ape cabby and says, hey, buddy, to you, I look like the wrong end of a banana. But in time, we'll get to know each other for who we really are. And I think this was Rod at its deepest. The quote is really a metaphor for judging a character for who they are and not what they look like. And then the program segued into a TV interview of Rod Serling on a program called Look Here, a Dick Cavott type of interview interviewee TI style program. And this is where I think you really got to see Rod in his element. This interview was done in the backyard of his house at Pacific Palisades, and Rod really cut loose when he was asked about sponsor interference, very passionate, and I think watching this video you could see Rod, and I've seen other videos of him talking about, you know, I got to play to the sponsors in order to get my shows sold. And you could just tell this way he was coming from the gut that I don't like it when they, you know, trim down my stories because these are stories that don't need to be trimmed down. And I really like that.
Speaker 10: The interview to me, it was almost confrontational.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was, yeah, because questions the guy was asking him is like he's putting him on the spot exactly. But you know what though, Rod didn't fold. I mean he held his ground to it, and it was like almost they wouldn't a guy kind of attacking him a little bit.
Speaker 10: Yeah, he kept pressuring him, you know, well, you have to kind of cater to the sponsors on one hand, in order to get the sponsors and get the money. But then you're kind of in a catch twenty two situation.
Speaker 1: Yep. He's constantly pushing and pulling trying to get what he needs. Yeah, if you get a chance to see that one, it's a good one. Look here. So the next thing, coup This is the next portion. I get excited about talking about it. I'm gonna spill over my words here. But director Jonah Sullis came up and he is doing a movie documentary on Rod Surley. Now there's been some clips of a title card and a frozen Seni or two have been spotted around the internet. So Jonah comes in and he explains that this project he is doing is being produced by Leonardo DiCaprio and should see a release date soon. So then he proceeds to show us a little film I called a demo video, but he called it a sizzle film, which is what I guess in today's words, they used to sell to the sponsors to get them to back the project as well. It was basically a three minute video of what to look for in this coming film. I'll tell you what. I was speechless when I saw this and I was really excited. Would you think about it? Man? Does it look good? It looks exciting?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean, what's not to like? It just was really really grabbed your attention and and made you excited of what this is going to turn out to be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember how he said he was going to do it. He's using some dictaphone words to where the whole movie is going to be in Rod's own words, just like the theme of this Serling fest was in his own words. Here we got a movie that's going to be being produced with Rod's doing all the talking. That's really cool. So next up after Tullis was and Serling, and she's the daughter of Rod. We all know that. But she recited a very poignant speech with the help of her cousin, Jeff Serling, Rod's nephew. And during this speech they had some rare photographs that were showing up on the big screen up on the stage. And I'll tell you what, I'm sitting there listening to Anne's speak and I'm I'm just like, it was very emotional. It was bringing tears in my eyes, and she did a very very good job of that. What was your reaction to something like that.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it was. It was a very well done speech. And in the background, as you're seeing these these photographs, these these home pictures that they're taking in their own private home and their surroundings, and and watching the one with the guitar, well, the one with the guitar, yeah, and the other one where he had Anne's lampshade on his head.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 10: You just you see this man in a in a light that that you don't we don't typically see him in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I agree, it was. It was. It was a look behind the curtains speak, you know what I mean. It was. It was really cool. So then the next person that was a guy named David B. And Keoley, and he is a movie critic TV critic, and he talked about teaching through the Twilight Zone. And I really liked his presentation because what David talked about was enhanced by how lively he was an informative was in his presentation and he explained how he would take Twilight Zone episodes and incorporate them in the class episodes. And I thought that was a really interesting concept and it makes me want to go back to school again just to have David be the teacher, so I could figure this out.
Speaker 10: I think the funniest part of when he was speaking he was having computer difficulties and he was asking anyone who would answer for for help, and someone gave him the answer, and he whipped out a dollar bill and says, take this, take this.
Speaker 1: No, I I.
Speaker 10: Needed the help, So I'm going to pay for the help. And this happened a couple of times and it was really kind of humorous.
Speaker 1: It was that was that was. That was a good time with him. So then next up is Mark Dewidzieck. Now, Mark was the author of a book called Everything I Need to Know about Life I Learned from the Twilight Zone. And I'll tell you what, Mark has got to be the smoothest speaker because this guy doesn't need a script. You could say, Mark, we want you to talk about X and he would talk about X yan Z and tie it all together and he just knows his material. And what Mark talked about was Rod's time at Antioch College. And he reminded us because the question came up to him was can you do the Twilight Zone without Rod Serling? And he was like, no, you can't do the Twilight Zone without Rod Serling because the Rod's not in it. Everything else is on its own, you know. And then he Mark is from Ohio, so when he talks about Antioch College, which is in Ohio, you really can hear the passionate voice in his and it's like, long live Ohio is right there you go, Mark, So that was pretty cool, and I think the next part is what I always look forward to, is this roundtable where the panel of guests, speakers that have been on the programs already, David b and Kewley, Frank Spotnitz, Jonah Tulis, and Joe Dougherty. They all fielded questions. They were moderated by Jeff Serling and Nick Parsi. And the cool thing about it was is once they got through a certain number of questions, they turned to the crowd, so we all got to ask questions of the group, and it was really cool. That took it really about forty five minutes to an hour to get through all these It was really informative and I can't recap everything that was talked about, but I will tell you this, it was good to be involved in in mixing and hearing those different ideas and how four guys can answer the same question differently, so and then you know, of course the night ends with the raffle and John we know how you did with all that. But I think to wrap things up and some things up, just a couple of questions, and you know, I think we could talk about is what did you like most about serling fests?
Speaker 10: I think what you were just talking to well talking about there the roundtable discussion.
Speaker 1: I was one and.
Speaker 10: Joanah told US's presentation about his documentary. When we were listening to those presenters taking turns and each giving their answers to the same question, that was really interesting to me. You got four interpretations or four answers to the same question, how they would solve that or however they would go about that question. And listening to Jonah described the process for putting this documentary together, it's unbelievable.
Speaker 12: The painstaking hours that he went through sorting through all of these audio collections on the dictaphone and the innovative filmmaking ideas.
Speaker 10: It's really exciting to me. I can't wait to see the film.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't either.
Speaker 1: I think it's gonna be really, really well done, and I think it's gonna be worth it. You know, I think you know what did I like most at Sermifest? Yeah, the roundtables. It was exciting to see Frank spot and that's that, you know, the Xbole episode they show the Lost Artist for It's what I've never seen it before, but it was. It was really funny and I liked it. It's just as everything went through I just I tried to when I was thinking about what is.
Speaker 10: The most, what I like the most.
Speaker 1: They really put presentations together that drew Serling's words out and explained them and expanded the thought processes behind them, or at least the interpretations of the individual And I really liked that because it made us all think. You remember the round table, I remember spotting this goes Rod Serling. Joe had already said it too. He makes you think, and that's what I took away from this surling Fest the most. So would you ever come back to surling Fest?
Speaker 10: Absolutely?
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 10: I really enjoyed the entire experience.
Speaker 12: You know, we we saw people there that were from all over yeah, England, Australia, yeah, yeah, you know, were walked through the streets of Rod's hometown where he we took the steps he took we drove past his boyhood home in Recreation Park, we saw the statue of Rod and Uh rode the carousel.
Speaker 2: That was yeah uh.
Speaker 10: And then when we when we left.
Speaker 12: Headed back to Syracis, we we stopped off to seem Rod Serling's grave and you know, those are those are just a handful of experiences and that I'll remember from a great weekend and me too.
Speaker 1: Man. It was just a really good time, and I'm glad we got to spend it together because I got to do a lot of talking back and forth and sharing these experience and that's the good thing about going to Surling Fest is having camaraderie and being able to experience these things and share those thoughts, you know as you listen to other speakers. He's just wonderful. So anyway, well Tom, that's it from John and I. We just wanted to get these thoughts out and share them with you. It was a really great time and we look forward to future Surling Fests. So till next time, mate, Cheers
Speaker 10: Cheers along everyone,