Speaker 1: Tape Deck Media.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome to see you at the Putty Richta. I am one of your hosts, Joseph bet Castro and joining me as always except for like the sort of first six movies. But ignore that is Christopher Chapman. Hello, Hello, and joining me actually as I always, except for that one time MSI, because that COVID is Aaron Frescas.
Speaker 3: Hello to governor.
Speaker 2: Okay, thanks governors, thanks chaps, chips, whatever you want to call. We are going to be discussing Arnold's nineteen ninety three action sattire vehicle Last Action Hero. So I am very excited about this movie. We have a lot to say. So Aaron, you look like you're pumping, and by that I mean jerking off, but also you're like pumping ready to talk about this movie. So obviously have you seen it and tell me your thoughts.
Speaker 3: I have, and mostly moving around like that because I got a pee. But uh, just kidding.
Speaker 4: Just like when he was six years old, he loves this movie and he's got.
Speaker 3: A pee exactly because the movie I was actually ten because I looked it up today. But yes, I am very excited about this movie. This is the whole reason that I'm gonna slow down a little kid. Yes, this is the reason that we are doing the podcast is because Eric and I remember watching this movie and I was like, this movie is fucking great, and then I messed with Joe besides total recall, and I guess Kindergarten Cop too, because I was pretty excited about that. But besides those two, this is probably the one that I'm looking for. I have been looking forward to the most so and yes, I've seen it. By the way, I don't think I did not see this in the theater though, Sorry, did you guys actually see this? Yes, Chris did you see this? But you've seen this theater. Everyone's seen this. Come on, did anyone actually see this? No theater?
Speaker 2: No, I don't think so. I don't think so.
Speaker 4: Well Chris did because he was too I would have been fucking three years old.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which I'm really disappointed about now because like they did a horrible I'm really curious to looking to the marketing. Sorry, oh I got this.
Speaker 2: I got stories on that.
Speaker 3: So you already like what did you listen to something?
Speaker 2: Or no?
Speaker 3: No, it's just a are you talking about what you remember?
Speaker 2: No, well, we'll get to that when we're talking about me and I've seen this movie.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, okay, okay, so yes, okay, I remember, I see, I remember being pushed, but I don't remember like what like just maybe they didn't do very good job of I don't know anyway, Joe, what do you got on this?
Speaker 2: Okay, Chris, that's fine, never guess him. Anyways, this movie was and still is like well it still is. I don't know how that works, but definitely was like way ahead of its time. Yeah, a lot of the marketing was like a lot of the movie, which is kind of satire and like Arnold satiing himself and satiing action movies. So uh, not to brag, but I get a degree in psychic I got a degree in psychology from San Francisco State. And I remember one of the classes I was in, like we were talking about like some shit and like the media blah blah blah, and they we watched this clip of The Donahue Show, and the Donahue Show was like they had like a whole expose or what the fuck you want to call it about this movie, Like when I came out, and they were like they had an interview with Arnold, and Arnold's like, yeah, you know in this movie, we killed like nine hundred and forty seven people in like the last one, you know, it's only like three hundred twenty, you know, And like obviously, like it was like what he was talking about was part of like the fucking satire of the movie, Like it made so much sense. And then they showed a little clip of the movie where so it was like the movie in the movie and uh spoilers, Uh just yeah, like the ice cream or truck blew up or whatever, and guy takes like an ice cream cone to the head and Arnold's like, yeah, he's like ice that guy. And I'm like in a large college classroom, you know, the lights are out, like a serious psychology class, and I start laughing my ass off, and nobody else is laughing. And then like you know, they go back to the Donahue thing and they're talking about violence in the media, and I'm like, are you guys fucking serious? You not how this movie came out like thirteen years ago, Like do we not realize it's fucking satire?
Speaker 3: Are we seriously in a college.
Speaker 2: Are we in a college fucking classroom talking about We're not even watching like the movie you're talking about Vice. I mean we're talking we're watching a fucking Donahue Phil Donahue segment about violence of the media that came out when the movie came out. But he didn't understand what fucking like satire of Oh, it just fucking drove me absolutely crazy.
Speaker 3: That's the way the Donahue thing was serious.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 4: It was like you were in a psychology class and they were taking Donahue seriously. That's yeah, it's so fucking weird.
Speaker 3: Like I mean it was it's.
Speaker 2: Like, uh, when do you take psychology? Like psychology is not just like the brain, you know, it's like psychology of business, like clinical psychology, like statistics psychology, like all these other like different child psychology, development psychology, like multicultural, cross cultural psychology, you know, all that other stuff. I don't remember exactly what class this was for that, but it was like part of like maybe it was like media psychology or some shit. I don't know, but like we watched it and I was just like, are we fucking are we serious in here right now? Like this is real? Like we're like we're a fucking progressive school, Like we're not you know, we're not at the best school in the world where watched it. We're top five, But like you guys can't like fucking see through. This is not like this. This wasn't like three weeks after the fucking Donahoe thing came out. This is like thirteen fourteen years later after the fucking movie came out. Like we're in here.
Speaker 3: So you just seem like a fucking psychopath like laughing.
Speaker 2: Well, I just like I was like, it's hilarious. I forgot about that.
Speaker 3: Middle class ye look at it's that guy and we're for high five and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: I just don't get it, because like either you realize it's satire, in which case it's funny, or it's so fucking stupid that you can laugh ironically at it, but like to sit there and watch it straight faced and not laugh. I was like, I don't understand that reaction.
Speaker 3: I think I think that might be my watch is gonna watch it like it's a serious movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well no, I I because I don't think people watched it. I think people just assume, like coming off of like Terminator two and like action stuff, and they're like, oh, Arnold's talking about how many people he kills on this movie, and they shot like a rocket to space to advertise it or whatever.
Speaker 3: It was the first one, wasn't it after Themator two?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think so, yeah, yeah, two years later, I guess I don't think people really like I don't think people watched the movie. They assumed it was like another brain dead action movie where a lot of people died, and it was kind of marketed as that. But the marketing was sat tire on the industry. But it just went completely over, he said. So people who didn't watch it just like didn't know, and they're just out there just like fucking like, oh Willason, Media's bit fucking just.
Speaker 4: Talking about that one scene where a guy gets killed by an ice cream. Oh no, I think that they're dumb enough to laugh at this.
Speaker 3: Fucking Bob Rafel said over here with Joe, like, well, you guys just don't understand it. He's like Bob satire sin or something like that. Chris, have you seen this movie?
Speaker 4: Sorry, it's fine.
Speaker 2: The movie's fine. You just didn't get it right.
Speaker 4: Fuck you, No, I've seen this movie. Yeah, I've only seen this movie a few times. I remember enjoying it as a child, but I think I found it slightly scary because I was way too young, just because I think between Charles Dance is a menacing dude, and he found him a little scary. But then the part at the end with the axe killer whose.
Speaker 3: Name, oh yeah, the Reaper, yeah, Ripper.
Speaker 4: Ripper, Yeah, that dude, I genuinely found scary, and so this Tom.
Speaker 3: He's something else.
Speaker 4: But then I watched it more recently and I was like, God, damn, this movie is so fucking good. Like it's just so it's a it's an action movie parody while also being a pretty goddamn good, fun action movie. Yeah, Like it's it's one of the rare parodies that doesn't like sell out the genre that it's parody. Yeah, I don't know. I think it's it's kind of genius in that it's kind.
Speaker 3: Of it sounds like we're doing the Irons pumped right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, a little bit.
Speaker 2: But it's kind of what like almost like Austin Powers did for like spy movies.
Speaker 4: Kind of. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think it just came out three or four years too early.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for sure. And I obviously when you say that Mike Myers is making a movie, people know what to expect, but considering the Arnold's track record up to this point, a lot of people probably thought this was just gonna be straightforward action movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, very true.
Speaker 4: I am excited to watch this movie again. I probably haven't seen it in six or eight years something like that.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen it in five, so yeah, almost five. Any other thoughts before we watch a uh something that I found for us.
Speaker 4: You know, I don't think so. I'm just excited to do this. I know, yes, I do wonder if the like like you always talk about, it's kind of harder to write jokes for.
Speaker 2: The Yeah, it is, it is.
Speaker 3: I'm not expecting to write jokes for this, like it's it's just pointing stuff out. That's like, do you believe this ship because that's what always happens. I'm like, I can't. I don't have any ship for this.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now we're going to watch a trailer for that. I found uh sort of trailer. Anyway, We're gonna watch something okay ready and play.
Speaker 4: Boom Last Action Hero.
Speaker 5: What do you think of anyone who doesn't see this movie mistake.
Speaker 3: Play?
Speaker 5: I think it's the biggest movie of the summer. And now when you go to burger King in order a flame world with large fries and a medium drink. You get this last action hero. It actually cool, Like it's so funny. So see the movie and collect all.
Speaker 3: Four cubs right away.
Speaker 5: I love this place and I'm going to see the movie.
Speaker 3: Wait, he's gotta take you too. I know, yes, Okay. First of all, that's Dan Cortes. How do I know that? I don't know. I watched too much shit.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah.
Speaker 3: Dan Cortes was a MTV VJ. He was in Seinfeld, the episode where George is trying to be cool and he's hanging out with elane'es like cool boyfriend who he goes mountain climbing with. Yeah yeah, and he ends up like knocking him off the mountain and he's like, I don't know's it's a funny episode anyway, that's Dan Cortez, which is just the very nineties. Yeah. I was like, there, I know there's a burger King commercial in this. I'm pretty sure it was Burger King. That was a I was like, there's gotta be a breaking commercial. I cannot remember if I had one of those cups or not, because I was like, once I saw that, I was like Oh, I want one of these fucking cups.
Speaker 4: Like you remember it being in the house, maybe.
Speaker 3: Thinking like, uh, well it would have been in my dad's house because I'm buying me that stuff. Come on, my dad's the one that's like okay whatever, like he always had. It wasn't even my I would steal it from my my task because my dad lived with my aunt, you know. Anyway, but uh, I want that cup now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was a very cool looking cup for any for anybody who didn't watch the video, it's a it's like a lenticular cup where as you turn it, it like puts the frames in motion and creates.
Speaker 2: Actually enticular everybody, what's that word? I mean? Yeah, and for those that don't know, you should explain it it is.
Speaker 3: We know obviously it looks it looks like a movie.
Speaker 4: It's one of those little hologram things where when you turn it it looks like it's moving.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's got the different like slats or whatever.
Speaker 2: A hologram. Yeah, like you know, all of us know that word. But for those other people out there.
Speaker 3: Okay, so I can buy that cup for fourteen ninety.
Speaker 2: Nine, really, holy shit, fourteen ninety nine. Yeah, where send me that link. I'm gonna buy one.
Speaker 3: Sorry, yeah, fifteen okay, now fifteen fourteen, No, no, you're gonna pay thirty cents more. It's as Jack's later and Danny, Danny, that's.
Speaker 4: You're going to buy that cup before we release this episode. You're gonna drive the price.
Speaker 2: Up by another fucking thirty cents.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. This stuff is like stage to feed in my printed cycle. Remember watching I don't know the whole The thing that stuck out with me with this movie was the Hamlet scene.
Speaker 2: To be not to be, not to be?
Speaker 4: But I always remember the mob hits scene.
Speaker 3: Yes, we're that yeah, yeah, anyway at the tart pits. Yeah, but that commercial is the marketing for this was? Yeah, I don't know, like what we'll find well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm I'm actually very interested in that part of it because, yeah, I wonder why this movie did not do well and it's the reason and if you'll remember, is the reason we didn't get the Hans and Franz movie.
Speaker 3: Yes, true, and we'll find out about that too, But I I know why. But we'll save it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got it.
Speaker 3: Just watch stuff anyway. Any any of their thoughts on the movie besides, h can wait.
Speaker 4: I don't think so let's just fucking go. Let's go watch the movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah okay, well we're gonna get into production stuff then.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, but I'm gonna watch the movie before that.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah for sure.
Speaker 4: Anyway, I'm not dreading it like I was watching.
Speaker 3: Oh by the way, sorry, I had a quick thought with with that because every single time because I was like, I'm looking forward to watching this movie, and that doesn't like every time I'm like looking forward to something, it gets disappointed, except for the movies that any movie that I don't know, So I'm like, yeah, from here on out, any movie that I don't know, I'm just because I'm like looking forward to the one that tearing kill them directs. Yeah, the killing, the killing out there. But it's probably gonna be bad.
Speaker 4: Just assume it's gonna be anything else, Like.
Speaker 3: I know the Conan one's gonna be bad, but like UHL with Semester stalone, I'm escape playing Escape Plant. Probably we're gonna be horrible. Anything else, I think that's the only ones.
Speaker 2: Maybe expendables.
Speaker 3: Expendables I'm gonna have to look in the screen time. But because we already eliminated one which one.
Speaker 2: Around the world in eighty days or whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that one I think got eliminated because he was in there for like ten minutes.
Speaker 2: But anyway, well that's gonna do it for this quick episode, which is longer than our normal quick episodes. But we're gonna go watch the movie, so stay tuned, uh, and we're gonna talk about all the goodness that is that is Last Action Hero. Trust us when we say this movie is fucking amazing. If you're listening to this podcast, watch that fucking movie because it'll make a lot of sense. You'll love it. But for Chris Chapman, Aaron Fressis, I'm Joseph Becastro, and I don't think there's anything else. Oh, there is one thing left to say it.
Speaker 4: If you enjoy our show, please consider giving us a positive review on Apple Podcasts or your podcast.
Speaker 2: App of choice.
Speaker 4: You can fallow hellow us on Twitter and Instagram at the Potty Richter to make sure you never miss an episode. See You with the Potty Richter is a production of tape Deck Media. Follow tape Deck on Instagram at tape deck Underscore Media, or look us up on Facebook for more hilarious podcasts.
Speaker 1: This has been a tape Deck media production. Thank you for listening.