Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty on demand.
Speaker 2: We're here with very lucky Irish folk Richie Robin Heather. Thanks for being here today. Of course, do you get a hazard pay for working on the Sunday before? I feel like the Hazzard pa would probably come the Tuesday after. Yeah, yeah, it would definitely be the day after. Yeah, like the super Bowl.
Speaker 3: Remember how there was like a movement for a while for people to make the day after the super Bowl like an automatic holiday where people didn't have to go into work.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't think it caught on.
Speaker 2: There's plenty of people there in Sacramento and up in Washington, d C. They've seem like they've got a lot of time and they've passed stuff all the time. I don't know why they can't just roll that in there. We would all universally agree on that make it a national holiday. Indeed, Saint Patrick's Day tomorrow not a national holiday, but of course originally began as a religious feast day commemorating the efforts of Saint Patrick to bring Christianity to Ireland way back in the fifth century. And if you've checked lately, he was pretty successful. Irish Catholic. They're very, very very common rather, I guess in the Irish community to be Catholic over time. Though of course it's a broader celebration of Irish culture. There are parades, you wear green, you drink green beer. There are different kinds of festivities worldwide. Of course, in Chicago they dye the river green there and people are wearing green, and I guess the reason is because Ireland is green. It's the emerald dial. That's sort of where the green came from. Leprechauns wear green. I guess they see people and they pinch them, and if they're not wearing green, that makes you invisible to leprechauns, preventing them from pitching. Can you is this so normal to us because we've done this forever? But can you imagine if someone just came up with this today and we're like, all right, you wear green tomorrow, and you go there's these little there's leprechauns. They're like fairies, but they're mischievous and they're going to pinch you. They have gold at the pot end of a rainbow. I don't know. We drink a lot. You'd be like, okay, great, I'm on board. Historically, Saint Patrick's Day was a solemn day in Ireland and it was actually a dry holiday in Ireland in nineteen oh three, which is such a surprise if you've ever been to Ireland, pubs were actually legally required to close. And then obviously that's not the same way that it is, but it was up, I guess until the late twentieth century before anybody started celebrating the way we celebrate now, especially in America. Irish American communities have embraced pub culture. Saint Patrick's Day associated with beer, whiskey and more, and drinking is a big part of the celebration.
Speaker 4: It's been that way for basically one hundred and fifty years.
Speaker 2: Green beer in America, though it is an American innovation, an invention. You would not see this at a traditional Irish pub. No green beer. And there's actually a bar over in South Pasadena called Griffins of Kinsale which has no TVs. There's no sports on TV because there are no TVs at Griffin's of Kinsale in South Pass. It's right on mission there by the train tracks. And they also of course don't have green beer. Now they say you can show up and bring your little dye of green food die if you want to put it in your beer, but don't expect to order anything there. Heather, do you have any local haunts that you like to hit up for Saint Patrick's Day? Any recommendations?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 3: There used to be a place in Glendale called Clancy's.
Speaker 4: Oh, that was a lot of fun that was back in the day.
Speaker 3: And that's a nice little Irish seafood spot.
Speaker 4: It was oh, Irish seafood.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I mean it was like seafood, but it was like an Irish bar.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then there's a place into Luca Lake. I can't think of the name of it.
Speaker 2: Is it's out of business now, right, it might be yeah, it was like, well, no, there's Missus Robinson's Irish Pub, which is what is closed now.
Speaker 4: But there was something over there that was that was Mormons for.
Speaker 1: Is good.
Speaker 4: That's that's right, that is still there. And then there's also Catcher in the Rye, which is.
Speaker 2: Great, very fun. Those are great valley hangs. Are you local to the valley?
Speaker 4: I am. I live in the Glendale. Hey, I love the Glendale. The two freeways.
Speaker 2: Shout out Chevy Chase, Idol hours great I don't know that that's a that's an Irish pub, but it's a great one. It's a great place bar. Give me a Molly Malone's Molly Malone Tom Burgens.
Speaker 3: Some of those are so far away though, because I am an SGV gal and it's a little far to commit, especially if I'm going to be drinking at all.
Speaker 2: Oh, I hear you. I went out last night in Santa Monica. Had to visit some friends over there at the Bungalow, which, by the way, I am far too old for. I went there and uh, you know, the uber.
Speaker 4: Was eighty dollars. Oh my gosh, two there just one way you think.
Speaker 3: They increased the pricing? Where is it? Like, how do I pricing that they do?
Speaker 2: You got to think it's a busy weekend. That's probably part of it. And that's brutal, but it is.
Speaker 4: It's brutal.
Speaker 2: It's tough to do that. But I guess you know, it beats it beats a dui that alternative.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for sure, everyone please take a new Berg driver.
Speaker 2: Especially this weekend. There are I think it's one of those things, like my mom was always you don't even go out on Saint Patrick's because people are so crazy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, you don't even want to be on the roads at all.
Speaker 2: So I hate to be that way, and that's such a sad POV to have on what's supposed to be a fun thing.
Speaker 3: But I'll definitely be wearing green, okay, And it's actually my favorite color is green, and so I always love this time of year because I am Irish. I have Irish Scottish roots, so it's just kind of fun, you know, fun little tradition that's great.
Speaker 4: I agree.
Speaker 2: Well, there's another tradition happening in the San Fernando Valley that's not so great.
Speaker 4: Have you heard of this key cloning?
Speaker 2: No police warning residents of a rise in key cloner car thefts in the San Fernando Valley. So basically what happens is there's this device that they have that remotely scans for a key fob signal. So you know how your keyfob is always emitting some kind of signal to let your key the car rather know that you're near, and that's how you get that cordless opening or whatever. So you can remotely scan for a keyfob apparently, and they make a clone key, so they make a digital version of the key, and this is according to the Burbank Police Department. This is happening a lot though, where they're using the signature of your key to then open your car and turn it on and steal it. This happened to me. I had somebody break into my car a couple of years back. I live in the valley, also not Burbank, but not far and it was a rental car, and I was told by the LAPD that they do this where they figure out a way to mimic the key, the key signature, and then they open the car and take whatever is inside. And it was crazy because what you'll know you've been broken into. At least I've experienced this a couple times in the valley because the door will still be open because they of course don't want to make noise when they steal something they pull it out of there.
Speaker 4: They don't want to they want to shut the door and wake you up.
Speaker 2: And if they steal it in the middle of the night, so anytime you go outside and you see your car and the door is open. At least in my case, this happened I think two or three times. That's what happens. So no good there. This is how you get around it. Do you love this? This is what they say. Tips include parking in a secure area, as if we can't generally always park wherever we park, using motion sensing lights and security cameras in areas where one typically parks.
Speaker 4: Also, I feel like something that okay?
Speaker 2: And then they say this, store your keyfob in a signal blocking pouch. I don't know what a signal blocking pouch is. We'll have to look that up and find that out. But they also say that people should check in with dealerships to see if they have any updates for your cars.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that's a good's it's sort of unsettling to just put it in a lead pouch.
Speaker 6: I guess.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think I feel like somebody's made like workout pants or like Lululemon pants or something that have a little pouch like that.
Speaker 4: Maybe I don't know, like for a signal blocking workout. Yeah, did I just invent this is so great?
Speaker 2: Let's look hold on, here we go, signal blocking work out pants.
Speaker 3: There must be something like that where because the they have like little pouches.
Speaker 4: Yeah, in shorts, you're so right.
Speaker 2: So there's a place called uh well, I don't know if this is real Shield signal proof apparel. This is not an advertisement for Shield. By the way, we have just discovered Shield. They have EMF protective headwear, so I get if you have an EMF issue with your head. EMF is like we'll disable electronics. So I don't know what's going on in your head that you need to protect it from EMF phrase. But it's very sci fi. Though this is very sci fi. We'll have to get to the bottom of this.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Kfi AM six forty on demand.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of stuff that that TV does that I feel like is a little unnecessary, though I will say not having to wear makeup is one of the highlights of this, isn't it fab It's so nice. I don't I don't just suck in. I don't have to sit up straight. I can just be a slob. I didn't shower. I haven't showered in weeks. We know that. No, I'm just kidding. I'm just kidding, but I want to.
Speaker 4: I want to tell you.
Speaker 3: By the way, Amy King hosts a wake Up Call, just messaged me and said she's listening in. She said she's going to be wearing her one green item of clothing tomorrow. Hey, And I told her, I said, you need to get more green, lady.
Speaker 2: She's a redhead like me. That's our signature color. Green's a great color on people. Green's basically a neutral. So I am told, according to TikTok that I see. Huh, I don't know anything. I mean listen as I mean, I may have said this before I moved recently. And this is just how the internet works. They find out you move, and then you just get a million videos about why everything in your house is wrong and needs to be redone like home renovation, home renovation stuff, and this is out.
Speaker 4: Oh you have a white kitchen. Why white kitchens are out great?
Speaker 3: I know. I saw that and I was like, I've been wanting a white kitchen forever. Now I'm like, I guess I better not rather.
Speaker 4: No, we are wrong. Yeah, I can't like things. I just love.
Speaker 2: The trends are just we got to stop with the trends. There's just too much happening here.
Speaker 4: Just live your life, people, do what makes you happy.
Speaker 2: That's so right. I want to jump down here, Richie. I'm sorry, I'm going to do this to you. I know that we said we were going to do something else, but we're going to I'm going to call an audible.
Speaker 4: But I think that it's.
Speaker 2: Because I'm thinking about trends and I was thinking about you, specifically with this new gen Z dating trend. Oh yeah, have you heard of this flood lighting before? Do you and your gen Z friends say flood Oh yeah, that met guy totally flood lighted me. No, But I just heard about it like recently, like before we did the show, Yes, like maybe two nights before. I was scrolling on TikTok and that came about. But break it away. So one of these things that happens. And we do a lot of trends on KTLA. I cover a lot of trends. That's sort of my beat. And I think the thing that's so tough is discerning between what's really a trend and what's just something that's fun to talk about on the internet. But I don't know about this one. Let's try to figure this out. Flood Lighting is apparently, when in dating, someone floods someone with vulnerability in a way that feels more like a test rather than an attempt at genuine connection. When I was growing up, this was called gaslighting. This was called being kind of a sociopath. But now they have a thing called flood lighting. Apparently it's a real thing. People are oversharing their personal traumas with the purpose for another person to then share their personal traumas so that I guess you can really get to know who they are quickly.
Speaker 4: Like trauma dumping on a first date.
Speaker 2: It's trauma dumping on a first date, but with the intention that they will also trauma dump back, so I guess you can have something to hold over someone else's so.
Speaker 4: Like trauma bonding. Maybe, yeah, though I guess it's a little bit hack. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean they say though, instead of strengthening bonds, oversharing can make the other person take a stat back, which actually creates an emotional distance rather than closeness. Is that because all of us think that everyone needs to know everything that we've ever done?
Speaker 4: I mean maybe, yeah. Social media has a big part of it. Is there's so many people that I want to do that because we want some dy to be proud of us.
Speaker 2: Ooh, you guys, I'm this is the best therapy that I've ever had.
Speaker 4: Is get working through problems on live radio.
Speaker 2: But I think that you're right about the social media thing, saying, look like, if we just got rid of all social media, I think eighty percent of our psychological issues would go away. So what we're saying is just watch terrestrial television and listen to terrestrial radio.
Speaker 4: That's all we're saying. Is that such a crime to ask?
Speaker 2: No, unless you want to listen to of course, the iHeartRadio app you can keep that one. You can keep the KTLA plus app, but everything else, please, we're done with it unplugged. And I think that that's also part of this sort of bigger problem with social media dating apps Richie. I know that you're on the apps. You told me recently went up to Do you want to say where you went?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 8: Oh, well I was in Seattle. So I was in Seattle. And you know, when I'm in a new town, I'm shopping, you know, But what are you shopping for? Friendship?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is what's wrong with your generation. By the way, I'm not gonna you continue, but I'll just so.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 8: So, like I use this app called Hinge, and for years I've had it. It's kind of there. I use it whenever I'm bored or whatever, you know. And then again I was in Seattle, so I checked it out, you know, scoping the scene, you.
Speaker 2: Know, scoping the scene. Exactly what are you looking for in this scene? And you're telling me because here's the thing that I always thought with And I haven't been on dating apps for a while, but I remember, and I think that I I confirmed this in a report at some point over the past couple of years, that the reason that they're so awful, that it feels so awful to be on a dating app is because they'll show you people who they know that you will almost really like, they'll show you enough people to keep you coming back, because at the end of the day, what they want is for users to be using their app. This makes sense. Even if they say Hinge designed to be deleted. I think it's still is a business. They still got to have people coming through the doors. They still want to have people using this. But you're saying things are a little.
Speaker 8: Different now, Yeah, Like I don't know, like I feel like it's I don't know, I don't I'm not really a fan of it. There's this new thing that Hinge introduced. It's called your turn limits. It's pretty much a feature.
Speaker 2: Limit, like you have to run your only eight years of hinge and then you're done.
Speaker 4: You pretty much right now.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's like a new feature that restricts users from liking you matches. For instance, like if I have more than aid unanswered messages, it won't allow me to go further or you know, swipe whatever side or message them or get a message back. I need to literally send a message and then it gives me the opportunity to you know, reply to another. So basically it encourages us to seek more of a connection than just like the next wipe, et cetera.
Speaker 2: So you're not allowed to just message people at random at will forever infinity. Personally, I'm pretty popular on the app, so I'm limited really quickly.
Speaker 6: So that's why I don't like it.
Speaker 4: Robin. I know you're you're married, Heather, do you have.
Speaker 2: Any insight on dating app stuff?
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 3: I'm an old married lady and have not ever had to be on the apps. I have a lot of single friends though, who've had hit or mis experiences on the apps.
Speaker 2: Nobody likes it. There should be no one's like man, I just love being on dating apps. That's a pretty good. That's a pretty good.
Speaker 4: Indians like it. It gives them a lot of material to work. Maybe that's the problem is that the too many comedians on data.
Speaker 3: Apps where every comedy show I go to, someone's like, hey, anybody else on the dating apps?
Speaker 4: And you're like, oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't ever necessarily call myself a comedian because I was never paid to be a comedian. But I know a lot of them, and I will say that they are a bit of a sad bunch, a bit of quite a few. And I have a lot of friends who are comics that I would say, if they're asking if anybody's on the dating apps, it's because they're curious if they can find anyone, anyone else, if there's anyone to hook up. But that's exactly right.
Speaker 3: I am a comedian and I've been to a lot of comedy shows, and almost every comic is just that's their spring well of launching off point for jokes is the dating apps.
Speaker 4: I don't know. Do you do stand up?
Speaker 7: I do?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: My next show's coming out May tenth at the Ice House. Everybody passadis come and see me. I got jokes and I swear a little.
Speaker 4: Oh, I love that FI. After hours, there you go, KFIF. I hate to put you on the spot.
Speaker 2: But when we come back after this break, do you want to like just run us through one of your bits.
Speaker 4: No, I'm not gonna give you my bits. You all gotta pay for that period.
Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty on demand.
Speaker 2: Gorgeous day here at the KFI studios in Burbank, beautiful view of the Verdugo Mountains and probably Jay Leno. I'm Andy Reesmyer. Thank you for being here on this Sunday. It is absolutely gorgeous outside. And look at this earlier a shout out from cafi's very own Amy King. I hear on the wake up Call show every day here from five to six am, right before handle. I'm generally on my way to the studios in Hollywood, the Sunset Bronson Studio where we do the KTLA morning news. So that's really awesome that she's listening. I hear she's looking for some green clothing and Heather, I did some investigation here, all right, I think we can get her a signal blocking jacket.
Speaker 4: What is that? Oh? Yes, yes, if.
Speaker 2: We can get a green one. It's one hundred and ninety dollars. So let's figure out a change dot org petition maybe or a GoFundMe.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 2: We need to get this woman some more green because she can't be. She can't be without green. Tomorrow Safe and Stylish for five to six am tomorrow on KFI for the wake Up Call show, and then of course Bill Handle from six to nine am.
Speaker 4: It's cool.
Speaker 2: I go to work and I listen to Amy in the morning, and then when I'm on my way home, generally it is Gary and Shannon, and then I will catch Conway while I nap.
Speaker 4: It is just past the count If you have a green tattoo.
Speaker 2: Boo, I'm not the Heather's the Irish for you? Yeah? Great, good to know, all right. So we had a marathon today. Of course there was another race down there in Long Beach. We love Long Beach, the Port of La see San Pedro down there as well. It's the Rolex Los Angeles Sail Grand Prix or Sail GP. They roll around at different cities all over the world, twelve teams from different countries battling it out in identical fifty foot foiling catamarans. They go sixty miles an hour. And when we say foiling catamarans, that's not that we're fooling them. They literally come up out of the water and glide over the water a few feet out of the water. It's really something to see. They just wrapped up this weekend. They're gonna be up at San Francisco next weekend. Joining us live on the phone, Andy Thompson, who is the managing director at sale GP.
Speaker 4: You're on KFI. Thanks for being here today.
Speaker 5: Hey, Andy, it's great to bear. How are you guys?
Speaker 4: I'm so good now.
Speaker 2: Judging from your accent, it sounds like you might be from Ohio, Is that correct?
Speaker 5: Yeah? London, Ohio. Yeah, I'm over here from the UK. I think I bought a bit of the British weather with me earlier this week. But the weekend turned out great. We've had an awesome time down here, as you said, some great racing right in front of the packed grandstands down here at the Port of la.
Speaker 4: Is it too late or too early to ask who has won?
Speaker 5: Well, it's too late. Yeah. We just wrapped here and unfortunately US sports fans will they didn't the US team didn't take it home. US finished and eighth position, and your neighbors to the north Canada brought it at home and won the final at just about thirty minutes ago.
Speaker 4: Well, we're happy for them, you know they needed a win.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, yeah, we haven't won a s LGP race for two years, so they were due on and yeah. Yeah, the obviously Canadian sports is doing pretty well right now.
Speaker 2: So when you go around the world, it's the same teams, I'm assuming with these giant catamorans, I mean, these are huge. They're not ships, they're boats, right or how do you describe them? And they do they kind of float over the water.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're boats, but they're almost like flying racing machines. It is how I would describe them. There, As you accurately said earlier that these boats hydrofoil above the water. They're going almost sixty miles per hour. It's a really short course here, and this isn't conventional sailing. This is you know that the racing is right in front of the shoreline, so you know, the fans can see the whole race evolve. And yeah, there's some crashes, there's some thrills and spills. Our Danish team hit one of our hit one of our race marks yesterday and they crashed out for the rest of the week weekend. Then we were just just fortunate enough that there wasn't any more damage amongst our teams.
Speaker 2: What happens to these guys that are on Guys and girls that are on these catamarans. There's how many of them and they're all running back and forth from one side of the boat to the other. They're going sixty miles an hour, and I'm not really sure I understand how any of it actually works.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, well there's six positions on board that there's a driver, you know, so the drivers drive in like you with a race car. You have a wing trimmer who's almost on the accelerator pedal, and then you've got you've got two grinders up front who are generating the power for that for that wing. And then there's a flight controller that's that's controlling the flight of the boat out of the water. And so yeah, these yeah, these are real athletes, and the g forces on these boats are incredible. So you know, you see the athletes look close, they's huge, you know, as you expect an athlete in any other professional sport.
Speaker 4: Is there anything special about the race in Long Beach?
Speaker 5: I guess you know, it's so close to the water here. You know, we've set it up here at the Port of La because we can get our facilities right to the edge of the shoreline and we have a technical area. So if you think about NASCAR or Formula One, the kind of pit row, let's just say it's right. It's right here on the water side. So all the fans can go and see the boats getting put together, see kind of mingle with the athletes. So yeah, it's been an awesome, awesome race weekend. And yeah, the wing conditions here here down here have been really good for our style of racing.
Speaker 2: It's a fun place to go sailing. I've done it once before it was absolutely terrifying, but I'm sure it's very fun with professionals. And I know you guys are going to go up to San Francisco next week. When will you be back in Los Angeles or the LA area where people can see again.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, we're currently working with the authorities down here just to see when we can come back next. We're figuring now at twenty twenty sixth calendar right now, so so watch this space. We'd we'd love to get a race back here in twenty six or twenty seven, so likely to be kind of similar similar Tarpic Tomas year than we have this year.
Speaker 4: Well, thank you so much. Best of luck to you guys next weekend.
Speaker 2: And of course, if you want to see more about the Rolex sale GP Championship, where can people find you online?
Speaker 5: It's a wwwslgp dot com. Pretty simple.
Speaker 4: There he is, Andy, thank you so much for talking.
Speaker 2: Andy Thompson, sale GP Managing Director, joining us live here on KFI this afternoon.
Speaker 4: Very very exciting stuff.
Speaker 2: Really, you can watch a lot of the recaps and things like that on their YouTube channel and if you want to go see. Of course we got it. That's what we got to do. We got to get Heather, I'm sorry, excuse me, Heather. We have to get the Amy King some green clothing. Yes, and we've got to get the sale GP back to Long Beach next year.
Speaker 4: There you go, we have a plan.
Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty on demand.
Speaker 4: I'm Andy Reesmeyer.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us on this Sunday, the day before Saint Patrick's Day. Just coming to the end of our show here we do have a couple of talkbacks. I believe we call them, and I also think Meryll just stop by? Are you there, Chris?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Hi, buddy? How you doing it?
Speaker 6: I'm doing well. They'm a freend.
Speaker 4: I missed I missed you last week.
Speaker 6: Oh, I missed you and.
Speaker 2: I and I thought about it really NonStop, and so I'm glad that you're still you're sticking around.
Speaker 4: What's coming up on the big show for you today?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 9: Well, you know, we're going to talk about the big storms with another tornado coming through? Is that two tornadoes that we've had this year? Which is kind of crazy.
Speaker 4: You're in La.
Speaker 6: What trip? Isn't that wild? Yeah?
Speaker 9: And then State Farm's gonna get their twenty two percent uh RT hike, but they have to tell everybody why uh yeah, okay, wow, that'll be tough because we're broke right right. And then how about fifty million dollars for hot coffee in your lap?
Speaker 2: That is such an unbelievable story. I'm glad you brought that up. And I don't you know, if you've got the good stuff for your show, I don't don't waste it on me.
Speaker 6: Oh no, go ahead, Yeah, but it's not a waste. Everybody loves his story.
Speaker 2: This LA resident, we love we love LA resident in local news. Not just a person who lives in Los Angeles, He's an LA resident. The man just well see if he actually ends up getting the money. But he was awarded a fifty million dollars judgment against Starbucks because of some tea that had spilled in his lap. Now, on first glance, you might say, okay, well I'd take that for fifty million dollars, but we've got reports of severe burns to his genitalia.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and it's awkward when you have to put cream on that.
Speaker 4: I said, don't use that good stuff for this show.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: What I had this conversation earlier today with somebody.
Speaker 2: I said, what would you do it to take it for fifty million dollars?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean for fifty million, you'd probably do it.
Speaker 9: But the this comes back to this will be a case just like the McDonald's coffee case from the night. Remember that this is gonna be one of the people talk about, like fifty million dollars because your coffee was too hot. And in both cases there's some liability on the part of the of the company. In this case, Starbucks didn't put the lid on it with McDonald's didn't put the lid out, and they were superheating the coffee. So uh, I mean there's more to the story. As always, remember it's a jury of peers, not a jury of.
Speaker 6: People you hate.
Speaker 4: So I love that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, So what we do is we tend to say I disagree with this jury.
Speaker 10: So uh.
Speaker 9: The lawyers are terrible, the court system is terrible. Everyone's out to get somebody. But if you were on the jury, obviously this jury agreed.
Speaker 2: So one of the right One of the things that I see here is that the original offer was what three million, and then they later at Starbucks later offered thirty million when they, I guess, saw where the wind was blowing with this one. And then so the thirty million, the fifty million judge, fifty million dollar judgment. Excuse me, they say, we're still not that seems a little excessive. But this guy, though according to his attorney, suffered horrific burn injuries. It required multiple surgeries, permanent disfiguration to his grow So it sounds really terrible. And I think that's a similar thing with that nineties case that you were just talking about that we talk about all the time, which is, oh, well, she just spilled some coffee on her.
Speaker 4: It's like, no, she was really hurt by yeah.
Speaker 6: Bad.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it was a bad thing. And nobody wants to get skin grafts on their genitals. And that's an awkward thing for you know, party conversation. That's right, you want to all right, well we have a little talk back to talk about that. I would love your input on as well. We were talking about key cloning in the San Fernando Valley earlier, where the bad guys are able to clone your keyfob.
Speaker 6: I heard you say that happened to your rental car. That's crazy, isn't that wild?
Speaker 2: And then I thought the police said it was that's what happened, And I wondered, was it somebody on the inside of the rental car company who is from I don't know at all. I'm not going to put it. I'm not you know, who's to say. But I did lose a bike and that was a bummer. Then I learned to never put a bike in a car. But here's what one of our listeners had to say about the what you could do to protect yourself.
Speaker 7: It's called a Sara day box that blocks the signal and it comes with two pouches for your car keys. It has a really.
Speaker 11: Nice hangar on the pouch so you can hang it by the door without the thief scamming the code for your car. Karen Bass and Gavin News need to do.
Speaker 7: Their job, and we wouldn't have to do this.
Speaker 4: It's called Is that rita? That's rita? Is that Rita?
Speaker 2: Calling back again with some more I yeah, I don't know. It seems like carrying around a box would be a big deal. But I guess if you have a little pocket that you can put your keyfob into it. But then if all, if it's always in the key in the package, I don't even know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 4: Does it work? You can't use it as a key fob anymore.
Speaker 2: Kind of if he's the purpose out of the box, take it out, which is like, that's not convenient.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I love that.
Speaker 9: I love when all of our callers are like, hey, here's a neat little tip to help you out.
Speaker 6: And let's also say, Karen, I try to know some other reason for all things.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, it's like I said, the wind, the way the wind is blown here. Yeah, it's interesting since the fires, I think there's been a lot more public sentiment about that kind of thing. Sort of feels like people are are not talking about it as much. Like I said in the group chat, it's really all about the eagles this week, not so much about people dissatisfied with the local government.
Speaker 4: But you know, your mileage may vary. I guess.
Speaker 2: All right, here's another one, a talk back from another listener. We were talking about dating apps, Merril, Were you ever on the apps?
Speaker 6: No, I'm like, I'm like Heather, I'm an old lady. Yeah, me too.
Speaker 4: Yeah to married lady, consider yourself so very lucky.
Speaker 6: I am too. I've got friends that are on the apps and they say it's just miserable.
Speaker 9: And I love that everyone uses a dating app like it's an Amazon shopping cart. They just click all the things that they want and they're like, oh, I'm sorry, I wanted six foot. Yeah, you got a great job, Sure you're healthy, you love your mother, but you're only five.
Speaker 6: Eleven, so you're out. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And also, just like Amazon, when it arrives at your house, you're maybe not sure that you wanted what you want.
Speaker 6: Yeah, let's not open that box.
Speaker 7: It's called a Sarah Day.
Speaker 10: Sunday afternoon radio.
Speaker 4: That's Eastern time.
Speaker 1: Okay, dating apps.
Speaker 10: My dating app was at eight and a half eleven piece of paper, hard coffy, I think it was four or five pages long, and I had a magic marker and a pen and I just circle him and then give him a call. And there were two matchmakers, and they just give me another couple of hard coffee sheets, five hard copy sheets, once every about two weeks. And then they say, well, how to go okay, son.
Speaker 6: That's great love that he sounds like Conway.
Speaker 4: How did you go DG dong with? They were great?
Speaker 6: Outstanding?
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, very good.
Speaker 2: Well, Merril, I really appreciate you taking the time with me, and I know it last time I left you with a little bit too much time. So now I got to come up with something to talk about for two minutes. Is there anything that surprised you at the La Marathon today?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 4: None, No, sur no surprises you You were looking forward?
Speaker 6: I was I was wrapped.
Speaker 9: I certainly wasn't watching basketball and not paying attention to the.
Speaker 2: Marrita of course not. Oh yeah, I tell you what I went out last night. I will not be shy about this. It was Saturday night. I know I worked today, but I worked at two pm today, so everyone hold your calls. And I went out and I woke up today and I had had a maybe a martini or two, and to sit there sort of in my stupor and watch the world come back as others were running twenty six point two miles.
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 9: Right makes you question life choices, and then it makes you question their life choices.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's you know, there's nothing.
Speaker 2: It's a real gut punch, and you're like, look at these people, and they're showing you all these stories of people who have I you know, I have no excuse.
Speaker 6: See, and I look at it the other way. I think, what's wrong with these people? Right?
Speaker 9: They could have spent their Saturday night enjoying a martini or seven, that's right, and instead they got up early so they could run.
Speaker 6: These are the kids that loved pe class.
Speaker 4: That's so right, all of that. These are the kids who asked, do we have any homework?
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh, the worst.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they are showing off. You're right, you know what to heck with all those marathon.
Speaker 6: Rights, right, that's right? You guys, forget them.
Speaker 4: You're just trying to make us feel bad.
Speaker 9: Right, And I won't do it because tomorrow is green Beer Day, so we're not gonna We're not gonna feel bad about ourselves thanks of these marathoners.
Speaker 2: Last question for you, mister Merrick this, do you do anything for good luck?
Speaker 6: Oh that's a really great question. I Oh, I'm sure I do.
Speaker 9: But I'm one of these guys that if there's a if they're superstition, I I kind of rebuke the superstition out of principle, right, but I'm sure.
Speaker 2: That there are because we're just generally leery of any kind of authority, even if it's super superstition supernatural.
Speaker 6: That absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 9: But I've got friends that are sports fans and they have to wear the same sweatshirt or their team will lose.
Speaker 6: You know, They're kind of crazy that way. Yeah. Yeah, so I tend to look at those things.
Speaker 9: In fact, I majored in theater, and I used to really upset all the other actors because before every show would be getting ready, you know, you'd have your your your meeting, like I don't know, just after call, and then everybody gets together and maybe do your vocal warm ups and and.
Speaker 4: You know what you need unique New York.
Speaker 9: Yeah right, And then I would leave and I'd go, all right, good luck Macbeth, good luck Macbeth, good luck Macbeth, good luck Macbeth.
Speaker 2: Which all the way around people who don't know. Yeah, it's bad luck to say Macbeth in the.
Speaker 6: Theater, and it's bad luck to say good luck.
Speaker 4: That's right, that's right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So I would always say goodluck Macbeth, good luck Macbeth.
Speaker 4: And then everyone was like, god stop their skin.
Speaker 2: Their skins started such a loser, Like, okay, hey, I just Chris is never I don't like the superstition stuff.
Speaker 4: What are they doing now though?
Speaker 6: Probably marathons?
Speaker 4: Probably, Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 6: See, thanks for the lob on that one. I appreciate.
Speaker 4: Have a great show.
Speaker 1: KFI AM sixty on demand