Speaker 1: This is a story that's not for the faint of heart. This is a story with twists and turns that will not leave you happy with the end results. This is a story with unanswered questions, confusion, and utter shock. I strongly recommend you listen to this case and keep an open mind to every perspective and understand what you think you may know could be entirely wrong. This is the story of two year old Kayleie Anthony, how she died and her mother, Casey Anthony's involvement.
Speaker 2: Warning.
Speaker 1: The following podcast contains content and material intended format.
Speaker 2: Your audience. Listener discretion is advised.
Speaker 1: Hey, what's up.
Speaker 3: My name's Ben and I'm Nicole and you're listening to Wicked and Grim, a.
Speaker 1: True crime podcast. We're gonna do it.
Speaker 3: We're doing it.
Speaker 1: Do it?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 1: Three two one?
Speaker 3: Ah.
Speaker 1: That was very anti climactic.
Speaker 3: And I got it all over myself.
Speaker 1: That's what she said, you got to go more like this.
Speaker 3: Well, my lid's different. I think it's my lid's fault. Just hid it. I actually I am not very good at opening cans. I'm not gonna lie opening cans and tying balloons.
Speaker 1: I just like I have trouble, you're too deficit. Say yeah, if we all have them.
Speaker 3: But h our local brewer, you got our two favorite drinks back in stock or yeah, hinder, whatever you want to say. So we're like we're on cloud nine.
Speaker 1: Yeah we're we're definitely drinking it up. We got I've got the thousand Peaks from Trench Brewing.
Speaker 3: And then I have the Peach Rosemary, which is at vod cuts Seltzer, also from Trench Soul freakin delicious.
Speaker 1: However, I just want to give a shout out to all the other breweries in town, because not to say that I don't like Crossroads or I don't like Deadfall Brewing or Caribou. You guys are all awesome. However, Trench just so happens to have this one that is like my favorite.
Speaker 3: Yeah, your favorite beer. So, but you drink a lot of other beers too, Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: I go all across the board. They all got good stuff. This one's just you know, it's just my favorite, this one, this.
Speaker 3: One beer well and showed out to the new one.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, dead Fall.
Speaker 3: Dead Fall person got a cool new brewery which just spacewaight, I'll uh, I'll be.
Speaker 1: Making sure I drink them in future episodes too, so I'll be talking lots about them. Absolutely, got to support the local, the local love. Yeah, well, there.
Speaker 3: Isn't really much for local that I will like drink because it's most like beer, right, but then this place has a different drink. Some usually like wine or like a cooler of sorts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, these are siders. So see, you said, what do we got to talk about today?
Speaker 3: We got lots and lots of juicy things. First of all, okay, this is cool. We got two pieces of mail from listeners, which is like unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Technically, I think we can say this is fan mail. I think I don't know. Can we say that?
Speaker 3: I don't know?
Speaker 1: Nah, I mean that they're more than just fans.
Speaker 3: But you know what I mean, friend mail, mail for friends.
Speaker 1: Mail from friends sounds weird. Yeah, it does. Almost sounds like like a sexual thing.
Speaker 3: It kind of does. So I'm moving on. But yeah, I don't have it. So Leah Page, Yeah she sent us.
Speaker 1: She sent us a awesome epic handmade Halloween scrap book with like.
Speaker 3: A handmade card and everything. It was like kind of awesome.
Speaker 1: Incredible work. So good jobs on that. That was ridiculously cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was so sweet.
Speaker 1: We'll put that to good use one hundred percent. And Michelle Canon sent us over some Harry Potter key chains from Universal with our names on it, yes and everything so cool.
Speaker 3: It's a later day Actually.
Speaker 1: Mine is actually not going on a keychain. It went on my backpack and the little front zipper. Yeah, so that's my everyday work backpack. It goes with me to work every day.
Speaker 3: Now. Yes, now it has your name on it, so no one can take it exactly.
Speaker 1: I'm like, bitch, that's my bag, hands off. Yeah. I don't know if anyone remembers King of the Hill if they ever watched it. I just reminded me of Bobby Hill. That's my purse, I don't know you, because he taught he was taking self defense lesson classes. But it was like he's like a thirteen year old kid. Yeah, but he was taking women's self defense classes. So he learned to shout that term that's my purse, I don't know you, and then kick the attacker in the balls. That's awesome, That's what it reminded me of. Oh, I want to talk about Obi Wan Kenobi the series. Okay, first off, everyone out there. You need to convince Nicole to watch this series with me, because she's a start.
Speaker 3: Thank goodness, what are you doing.
Speaker 1: I'm really trying to get you to love Star Wars, is what I'm trying to do. I haven't watched it yet, but I've been waiting for this series, like this particular series, for a long. Look.
Speaker 3: Hey, I can't remember I've already asked you this. But did I have to watch other things?
Speaker 1: I mean, you don't, but it helps.
Speaker 3: I did watch that one thing because I was into Baby Yoda.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you watched The Mandalorian.
Speaker 3: That was good. Actually, I was actually super into that. It was a good show, and I feel like it might have had to do a lot with Baby Yoda, but I'm unsure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everyone went nuts for Baby Yoda, so cute, although it's technically not Yoda. It's not Baby Yoda. It's Grogu. Oh okay, just the same species. Yeah, okay. Yeah. We should actually go back to the patrons though, because both Michelle and Leah were patrons, and we should go back and thank our new patrons for this week.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, okay, yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 1: We only had one sign up this week, so glory moment in the spotlight to Alexandria, I'm really sorry if I say your last name wrong. Heat Meyer Hightemeier. Yeah, awesome, that's all I know, And I don't know how to say.
Speaker 3: You are awesome. You're very awesome. But thank you so much.
Speaker 1: It means the world to us for people like you supporting us on Patreon, So thank you, thank you, and of course thank you.
Speaker 3: So yeah, there you go.
Speaker 1: Should we get into the case, I think so? You ready for it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because we're also recording a Patreon exclusive episode after this, that's right, which is super awesome.
Speaker 1: So we got to get to bed, so we got to make best of our time here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we got to record two and let's get ready to roll.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm ready. So if you want to catch that Patreon exclusive case, you can only get it you sign up for Patron drops every day on the last or every last day of the month.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So they're literally getting two episodes tomorrow, which is kind of awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it'll be a great day.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's do this. Our story is going to start on July fifteenth, two thousand and eight, in Orlando, Florida, with a nine one one phone call. So it starts with two year old Casey Anthony, who was reported missing by her grandmother Cindy Anthony. During the recorded call, she was frantic and audibly shook. She told a nine one one dispatcher that she had not seen her granddaughter for thirty one days and her her daughter, Casey Anthony, had just admitted to the fact that someone had taken her. Oh boy, yes. So after a moment on the call, Cindy hands the phone over to her daughter, Casey, And it's a bit odd. The tone in her voice was much different than her mother's when talking to the nine one one dispatcher. Okay, so I've got a little insert from that nine one one call here, I'm gonna play for you guys. I called her a little bit good at SIF.
Speaker 2: I found that my grandfather has some like she hasn't listened from. We're talking about it for you, little girl. Oh, my daughter finally admitted the baby.
Speaker 1: I need to find her.
Speaker 2: Your daughter admitted that your the baby is. Where did you sort of took her once?
Speaker 3: To go?
Speaker 2: My daughter's been looking for I told you my daughter was no sing for a month.
Speaker 1: I just found her today that.
Speaker 2: I can't find my granddaughter. She just admitted to me that she's been trying to find her herself. There's something wrong. I found my daughter's car today and it's round like her dead daughter in their own car.
Speaker 3: Okay. What is the three year old's name?
Speaker 2: Kaylee se air Y l e e. Anthony Hailey Anthony? Yeah? How long has she been missing for? I have not seen her since the seventh of June?
Speaker 3: Is your daughter there? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Can I speak with her?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: They want to trust you. Hello, Hello, Yeah, can you tell me what's going on a little bit? I'm sorry, can you tell me a little bit?
Speaker 3: What's going on?
Speaker 2: And my daughter's been missing for the last one day? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And you know who ever? I know who?
Speaker 2: After I've tried to contact her, I actually received a phone call today now from a number of that is no longer in service. I did get to speak to my daughter for about a moment, about a minute, to have her do you have a name? Her name is ben Ya Fernanda has been lallas.
Speaker 3: Who is that baby? Said?
Speaker 2: She's been my nanny for about a year and a half, almost two years. Why are you calling now? Why didn't you call it any one days ago? I've been looking for her and have gone through other resources to try to find her, which was stupid. I think the officers are here, the opposite are there.
Speaker 1: Yes, So that's the nine one one call to report the little girl missing.
Speaker 3: Wow, that was intense.
Speaker 1: It was what do you take away from that call?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, there was so much because like, yeah, the grandma, it was just like frantic, and it almost just sounded like the mom had like gone through some shit as well or something, because like the mom said that the grandma sorry, had said that the mom was also like missing too. Kind of.
Speaker 1: Yes, So how it played out is we'll touch on it here in a little bit. But essentially, the daughter had been missing for these days with the granddaughter, but there was communication with the daughter to the grand grandmother. Okay, so finally the daughter was home and admitted the granddaughter was.
Speaker 3: Missing and she was searching for her this whole time, yes, or trying to get her from the babysitter.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's what she does.
Speaker 3: So wild I'm just very intrigued.
Speaker 1: Well, the some of the conversation though that we just talked about, it doesn't detail everything. There are actually a total of three nine to one one calls that were made in total that began to unravel this whole story. Okay, First and foremost, it describes how two year old Kayley was had taken by her babysitter. Her mother, Casey, said that it happened thirty one days ago, and she's been trying to find her daughter on her own. Okay. Now, Casey's mom, however, Kaylee's grandmother is seriously concerned of the dire situation. We can clearly hear that in her voice, much more so by the sounds of it than Casey. Now we didn't hear in that nine on one call was Cindy's car was impounded. Her daughter had actually stolen that car from Cindy and had gone with Kaylee out for the past month, like we were just talking about. So both of Casey's parents ended up figuring out that the car was impounded and went to pick up her daughter or their daughter along with the car. And that's when they noted a strong smell of what we just heard in the nine on one call, described by Cindy as the smell of a dead body coming from the car. Now, I don't have an audio clip from this other.
Speaker 3: Nine I must have missed some shit there because I don't even remember the smell of Cindy says, it was hard to understand. It was a bit hard to It wasn't yeah.
Speaker 1: But Cindy in there. One of the things she said was she's calling for help. She said, I need someone here. I just picked up my daughter in the car. Smells like a dead body. Wow. So she says that in the clip, Holy heck. So the other nine one one calls. I don't have audio clips from, but I do have a transcript, and I do have an insert here I'm going to talk about and this is from one of the prior nine one one calls. So the nine on one operator says, and this is between Cindy, the grandmother and the nine on one operator. So the operator says, Okay, what did the person do that you need arrested, Cindy says, my daughter. Nine on one operator for what? Cindy for stealing an auto and stealing money. I already spoke to someone who said they would patch me through to Orlando Sheriff's Department and have a deputy here. I was in the car and I was going to drive her to the police station. And no one will, no one is open. They said they would bring a deputy to my home when I got home to call them nine on one operator. So she stole your vehicle, Cindy, Yes, nine on one operator. When did she do that, Cindy on the thirtieth in brackets of June. She didn't say June, but that's what she's referencing. I got it back from the impound. I'd like to speak to an officer. Can someone come to my house? So she's trying to get her daughter arrested, and then in the next nine and one call when she figures out the granddaughter's missing, she's talking about the smell of a dead body, granddaughter missing and these thefts.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, because there was different dates in there and stuff, But I guess that doesn't really matter. It was because she had seen her granddaughter early, earlier on or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yes, Cindy had seen her granddaughter about a month ago. That was the last time she saw her grandfather. That was the last time she seen her daughter. But there was communication with her daughter between then. Right.
Speaker 3: Why was the police station closed? Are they closed? Sometimes?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I didn't think that they would be, but maybe they are. I have no idea.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, anyways, maybe just yeah, emergency numbers or something would be what you contact. Then I'm not certain.
Speaker 3: And also like this is just going to terrify parents because some parents probably have issues leaving their kids with a babysitter. Yeah, noa, I know I would. I can't even leave my dog with like a dog sitter without having issues.
Speaker 1: Now that aside though the whole dog sitting babysitting thing, I do know. This is a whole overload of information we've gone over so far. This is like jumping in head first. But the strangest thing about it all seems to be why Casey was so nonchalant about it. Why would she leave her daughter missing for thirty one days and think she could take care of it on her own without alerting authorities or even just other family members.
Speaker 3: Yeah you think maybe a day, but not a whole momth.
Speaker 1: So, as you hear through police or sorry, as you heard, police had arrived to the scene to investigate, and questioning had begun, and as we all know, family members are usually the first suspects in any case. They are the ones who are the closest with victims, and even if they aren't involved, they can at least provide authorities with extremely important information regarding important locations, people of interest, strange occurrences, and any other significant events or information that can help finding the individuals or solving the case. So police started questioning Casey right out the bat, and they interviewed her as a witness fairly casually at start, and unbeknownst to her, she wasn't under arrest, but she was under extreme scrutiny as a main witness currently.
Speaker 3: Right now, well that's generally how it goes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, yeah, one hundred percent. So, yeah, the police were questioning her regarding her story and ultimately regarding her lies.
Speaker 3: Oh boy, how old is she? Did we go over that?
Speaker 1: Actually I never did look up how old she was.
Speaker 3: I'm just so curious. She did sound very young.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's a young mother. I would say, like late twenties to early thirties.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean she sounded okay, like okay, this Her voice sounded so kind of chill to me, which is like unexpected. So I was like, maybe she had gone through shit herself, or maybe she was just like I don't know, almost like in shock, shock or even like under the influence of something or I don't know. There was just like many things that were going through my brain.
Speaker 1: It's there's gonna be a lot of things going through your brain throughout this entire caset.
Speaker 3: It that way, Okay, Well, it's very sad that a child is involved here.
Speaker 1: It is so. Casey claimed that Kaylie's nanny, Zindaia Zenaida Zanada, is hyper Nata Sanata also known as Zanni Fernandez Gonzalez, who she met through a mutual friend, was the individual to take her daughter. Okay, Now, that mutual friend who she met Zeneida through, was by the name of Jeffrey Michael Hopkins. These two had previously met working at Nickelodeon in Universal Studios Theme Park Cool. Both had worked together cashtag dream job, hashtag dream job. Could you imagine all the concession snacks you'd.
Speaker 3: Get, Oh my gosh, I would, Or the butter beer, Yeah, That's what I'm gonna say. I would, but get one of those like daily one. Oh yeah, honestly one's good because remember we had some more than one one time and we got like sick.
Speaker 1: No, I'd be cutting coffee into that every day. I'd be like three four cups of coffee mixed with butter beer. Oh my guaranteed disgusting, and I would gain so much weight, but it'd be worth it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, worth it, oh gosh u.
Speaker 1: So regardless of by this time, Casey stated she sorry. Casey stated that Jeffrey hadn't worked there for the past nine or ten months and he had moved away to various different cities, kind of moving around. However, this would later be revealed as one of her lies. Later on in court, Jeffrey would talk or take the stand and go under oath describing how he worked at Universal in two thousand and two to two thousand and three and never worked with Casey at all, nor did he ever introduce her to anyone by the name of Zeneta Fernandez Gonzalez, and he never even moved away from the area, described as Casey either.
Speaker 3: What a weird lie because obviously they're going to ask.
Speaker 1: Him, yep. And it's not like she lied about one thing. She lied about every detail regarding him, like he doesn't even really know where.
Speaker 3: That's weird.
Speaker 1: They never worked together nothing, okay, so though they didn't know what just yet, Casey was lying through her teeth right to the investigator's face. And I do want to bring up a little bit of a quote here, because this is one of my favorite quotes and it's by Abraham Lincoln actually, so to quote him, No man has a good enough memory to be a successful liar. Yeah, and that is very much so true.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, yeah, especially me my memory. Shit, there's no way I could get through a lie. I feel like it just wouldn't It just wouldn't happen.
Speaker 1: Well, the worst thing is it spirals because one lie leads to another to another to another, and you need to remember how.
Speaker 3: And then who you told what to and oh it's.
Speaker 1: Just like diston't so it's it's very much so true.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, during questioning, Casey tells the story of how her daughter went missing on June ninth. She said she dropped her daughter off to Zenaida to look after her while she went to work at Universal Studios, the same she had done for the past year or so. Now, after work, after her shift was over, she went back to pick her up, but nobody was home. She knocked on the door and there was no answer. She tried dialing Zanata's phone number, but it was now out of service.
Speaker 3: Oh god, okay, yeah, actually, at that point you would be phoning nine one. I feel like, yeah, kind of freaking out.
Speaker 1: I would I would do the same, but clearly she didn't. Now. One of Casey's alibis was one of her co workers by the name of Juliette Lewis. As it turns out, though Juliette Lewis doesn't even exist.
Speaker 3: Oh boy, okay, she.
Speaker 1: Claims she was an event coordinator alongside her at Universal Studios. Juliette Lewis not a real person. Wow. And of course, which police would soon find out.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, they're gonna look at all this.
Speaker 1: So before they found out all these lies though, because this is only the same day as the missing report, or maybe even the next day, so before they figured all this out, they asked Casey if she could lead them to places of interest, you know, such as places like Zanada's baby or where she babysat, and of course Casey's workplace. So the very next day after the missing report, on July sixteenth, she took them to Universal Studios, where she led them through the park to her office where she worked. They walked through the busy places, through concession stands, and through the attractions, through the crowds and they went towards a long building at the end all the way at the end of the park. It was almost a twenty five minute walk. She led them through the park towards her office, where apparently she would turn around, face police, laugh and admit she doesn't actually even work there anymore.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, I was not expecting that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that one threw me for a fucking loop.
Speaker 3: How did they even get in and stuff? Then?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean it's police, an investigation.
Speaker 3: Oh, I guess.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so they're like, yeah, like we're doing an investigator.
Speaker 3: No matter what, they'd probably just be like, yeah, go in, yeah, wow, Okay, I was not expecting that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So she just let them on a wild goose chase and we're twenty five minutes? Yeah, Like, what what's the thought process you doing there?
Speaker 3: Maybe they should have got on a ride too, really just lived it.
Speaker 1: Off the Oh I think they went on the ride. The whole ride of this as a ride in itself, that's true. Yeah, But like I just can't understand like how like she was. She literally walked as far as she could, She went as far with this lie as she possibly could. At that gate, she knows she's going to get caught. Yeah, she still walked that twenty five minutes to the very last moment.
Speaker 3: HM, that's so interesting. I just yeah, it's very hard to comprehend.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, of course this right away led to her immediate arrest on the spot, which from there she was officially out loud suspect number one.
Speaker 3: Oh no, yeah, not good.
Speaker 1: So from here Casey would undergo interrogation, questioning, and of course, eventually courtroom appearances, all while maintaining her innocence and that the nanny took her daughter. Now, while this was going on, the world was hearing all about this missing girl. Kaylee's even grace the cover of People's magazine on the issue of February ninth, two thousand and nine. Oh did it, hey did? Everyone wanted to find her, and her grandparents, Cindy and George Anthony, were at the center. They were doing interviews, putting up posters, printing out T shirts, anything they could do to help find their granddaughter and spread that word. Their hearts were clearly heavy, and they were wanting to bring her home.
Speaker 3: Oh that's so sad.
Speaker 1: Casey, however, almost seemed to have given up on her daughter.
Speaker 2: Why.
Speaker 3: I just don't understand I don't get it either. Well, she knows something.
Speaker 1: There's something there, whether it's maybe just in her heart she knew something was wrong and it couldn't be helped, or maybe she knows more than she's saying. Who knows, but there's something there that's different. While she was in prison, she was actually visited by her parents. They informed her about the progression of the search, what was going on, how far Keiley's name was being spread, But Casey almost didn't even seem to care. It's really hard to put into words unless the conversation turned to what she was doing and how she was doing behind bars. When the topic turned to her, it would almost always bring her to tears, like how she's doing, what she's going through, what she's eating, how she's keeping busy, how she misses her parents. But the moment it turned to a conversation about her daughter's disappearance, she was almost so nonchalant the tears would stop.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's almost it's oh, how do you word this? But like push or it's like sheltering her brain what would be the word, Like making it so that it's so terrible that she's just like forcing it out of her mind. Almost like it's just not even in there.
Speaker 1: Okay, No, fair enough, she don't cutting that off? Yeah okay?
Speaker 3: Or or I almost like she might even have like some sort of like mental illness or something.
Speaker 1: Well, potentially and like honestly, since his case, psychiatrists and web slutes alike have actually pointed out her behavior being akin to a pathological liar, meaning she essentially can't help but lie, not necessarily having a reason or a rhyme to do thro but she just does.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. I'm almost like thinking her mental health or something is suffering of sorts.
Speaker 1: So I don't want to confuse that not necessarily saying she's diagnosed with that that she is, but it's pointed out that it very much could be, and in fact, even if you look back on some of her earlier life, there is evidence to support how she could have become someone like that. For example, when she was going to post secondary, she got into the habit of skipping classes and going out partying a lot, so much so that she definitely did not make graduations. There was no way she was going to make it, so once her parents actually found out, Casey would lie to her parents, and she told him that the school must have messed up her attendance sheet and it was them who screwed up her graduation. It wasn't her fault, it was the school's fault. Her parents, for whatever reason, I don't know, maybe bless their little girls sort of situation, they believed her and to cover up her not graduating, they lied to their friends and family said she graduated anyway, even through her a great big grad party. Oh really yes?
Speaker 3: So wow?
Speaker 1: Almost supporting her lies? And who knows how far this goes into her childhood in her past. Who knows how much her lies have been supported as she grew up.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, it was almost like they could do she could do no wrong in their their mind though, too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so who knows how deep that is?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Now sorry? Moving forward on December eleventh, two thousand and eight. It is unfortunate, but two year old Kaylee Anthony's remains would be found.
Speaker 3: Not till December? Is that what you're true?
Speaker 1: Two thousand and eight?
Speaker 3: Is that the same year though? Right?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Is it? Now? I'm second guessing myself. Oh it is too okay? Yeah, so yeah, December of two thousand and eight, that's right?
Speaker 3: Okay, Still, that's like a long time. I didn't expect it to go on that long.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's quite a while, honestly.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now I need to scroll backworth find where it was at me. You did, what do we got? Okay? Here I am. It's all good. So they found her remains on December eleventh of two thousand and eight, and by this time they were more so skeletal remains when she was found, and she was found less than a mile from Casey's parents' house, where she was wrapped up in a Winnie the Pooh blanket Oh gosh, and stuffed inside a laundry bag.
Speaker 3: Oh man, Yeah, okay, the Winnie the Pooh blanket. That's like, that's that's a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And it was a swampy kind of usted aio that she was found.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: Wow, Okay, it's heavy on the heart, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, like that's just it's super all my gosh.
Speaker 1: Investigative reports and trial testimonies did vary a bit between one thing that happened because she was also found with duct tape around her. Now that duct tape was either being found near the front of this of her skull or on the mouth of her skull. So those are the varying reports. But either way, duct tape was found in the proximity of her mouth inside the laundry bag with her as well. Most likely she was suffocated. Oh gee, most likely.
Speaker 3: Oh and I just have like a serious question, but I can wait to see how I answer.
Speaker 1: No, it's all good. What's the question.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm just curious if, like if the body had been like decomposing for quite a while, or if it was like, hadn't been there that long, Like, I'm just curious.
Speaker 1: No, it was they they, I mean, there there's a timeline established. There's a last time that Casey or sorry, Kaylee was seen by her grandparents. There is witnesses saying that this was a date, you know, thirty one days prior to the call. So then to now, so you have June was the last time she was seen to December.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well I was just curious if maybe, like what if she'd only been there for a month, so like, had she been alive for a while well everyone was searching and stuff, or had she actually been gone for like that whole time.
Speaker 1: No, she had, she'd pretty much We've got a timeline, we've got an estimated timeline. Okay, so we'll get to that though, Okay. Moving on to April thirteenth of two thousand and nine, prosecutors announced that they would plan to seek the death penalty in the case regarding the death of two year old Kaylee Anthony.
Speaker 3: Oh boy, I mean that's pretty brutal. That's that is just a baby. That's a baby, yeah, oh boy, that did not deserve to die, that had their whole life ahead of them. It's really traumatic.
Speaker 1: And I mean death is something that everyone has to deal with eventually, but when it comes so young and so unnatural and by the hands of a potential family member, it just gets heavier and heavier, way worse.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, May four, twenty eleven, the trial would begin in Orlando, Florida. The prosecution stated that Casey Anthony used duct tape to suffocate her daughter, Kaylee Anthony. Now, the defense would contend that she actually didn't get suffocated by duct tape, and that she actually drowned in the grandparents' swimming pool. That Casey's father, George, warned Casey that would imprison her for life for child neglect if authorities figured it out, So the two of them would then cover up the death, which is why she failed to report the incident for thirty one days. Oh wow, that is their story.
Speaker 3: That's the defense's story.
Speaker 1: That's the defense. But they've got a little bit more to it though too. They also said that George Anthony Casey's father had sexually molested Casey as a child, and she had the habit of hiding her pain and lying.
Speaker 3: Oh geez. Okay, So this is this mother just learning a lot of things about her family marring this court case. Holy heck.
Speaker 1: The defense team also admitted that Casey had fabricated the story of the nanny name Zenaida Uh. And they also questioned the individual who found the remains, actually saying that they potentially removed them from elsewhere, and question police motives pursuing a murder investigation. So there's that was a little excessive. There was no There was no evidence regarding that as far as I could find. But it was one claim that the defense was chasing.
Speaker 3: You know, It's so interesting because I was almost wondering if the nanny thing was actually legit too.
Speaker 1: No, it was complete fabricated. Nanny didn't exist, Nanny wasn't real.
Speaker 3: Okay, yep, okay.
Speaker 1: Now the prosecutors would actually call George Anthony Casey's father as their first witness, and he denied any sort of sexual abuse towards his daughter Casey or covering up the death of his granddaughter.
Speaker 3: So hmmm, wow, okay, Oh my gosh. So also, I was thinking the grandma was learning a lot of things. But imagine if this this dad or grandpa or whatever was literally like hearing these things that he was being accused of that he didn't do.
Speaker 1: Oh and not only that, it's his daughter in court accusing him of them.
Speaker 3: Oh my, yeah, exactly, Like holy, okay.
Speaker 1: That's heavy. That would just that that's heavy on both sides. If it was true, that is heavy for Casey.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: If it's not true, that is heavy for Jordan.
Speaker 3: That's a stab in the freaking heart.
Speaker 1: It's not true. There's no win scenario.
Speaker 3: Oh no, there isn't. Wow.
Speaker 1: During her trial, Casey was graced, luckily for her with an incredible defense team, which included a man by the name of Patrick McKenna, who is known for his work on the defense of the O. J. Simpson case. Okay, so the individual who said no, it couldn't have been me. The glove doesn't fit. Yeah, he worked for his case. He got him off scot free.
Speaker 3: So he's good, is what you're saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's good. The prosecution, however, wasn't going to go down without a fight. They had a lot of seriously incriminating evidence regarding motive and her mental health to push forward, and that they did. Now, the timeline and evidence they came up with went as follows. Now, bear with me, this is I'm gonna be rambled a lot here. There's a lot of information to take inka. So June sixteenth, two thousand and eight, Kaylee was last seen alive at the Anthony family residence at seven am. Cindy testified that she left for work a few minutes before seven am while everyone, including Kaylee and Casey were in the home of sleep seven fifty two am. Activity on Casey's phone password sorry. Activity on Casey's password protected account on MySpace show she's searched for quote unquote shot girls costume for a nightclub event. Nine to fifty six am. Casey's aim account was used to chat on the computer twelve fifty pm. According to George Kayley's a Kaylee departed with Casey by car around twelve to fifty PM with backpacks on their shoulder. However, the defense disputed this. George testified that Casey and Kayley left the house at twelve fifty where first their computer activity at the home computer associated with Casey's account and her cell phone pings, not leaving the area of the home until about four eleven PM. So it's a contradictory statement there.
Speaker 3: Which is actually a pretty big gap of time.
Speaker 1: Yes, it is one thirty nine PM activity associated with Casey's aim, MySpace and Facebook accounts at one point thirty or sorry, one thirty nine pm on the home computer. The last browser activity during that session is at one forty two PM. One forty four pm Casey calls her friend Amy, two twenty one PM calls with Amy, and two thirty PM George Anthony testifies that he left the home at this time to go to work. Two forty nine PM Casey's Anthony Sorry, Casey Anthony's cell phone connects with the tower nearest the home, and the Anthony family's desktop computer is activated by someone using a password protected account that Casey used. Two fifty one PM, a Google search is made for the term quote unquote fool proof suffocation. The user clicks on an article criticizing pro suicide websites that promote quote fool proof ways to Die. Two fifty two pm activity on MySpace. Two fifty two pm, Casey answers a phone call from Jesse Grund. He describes his conversation as quote an abnormal where Casey stated to him that her parents were divorcing and she needs to find a new place to live. Three or four pm, Casey disconnects a phone call from Jesse Grund to take an incoming call from George Anthony, her father. According to defense, the twenty six second call from her father took place as soon as he got to work to tell her quote from the defense, I took care of everything. Tell her he disposed the to tell her that he disposed the body in warning her not to tell her mother about the child's death. That's according to.
Speaker 3: The defense wow.
Speaker 1: Three point thirty four pm, Casey made a phone call to her boyfriend Tony unanswered. Between four ten and four fifteen, Casey made six unanswered phone calls to her mother. Four eleven PM, casey cell phone pings indicating it was near the house, until she headed towards Lorenzo's apartment at for eleven pm, seven fifty four pm. She and Lorenzo are seen entering and walking around casually at Blockbuster Video store. Kaylee is not with them.
Speaker 3: I hate so much of that. I don't even know what to say.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Holy, So that is that's the last day that Casey the Kaylee sorry was ever seen. That is the activity throughout the day. Now, there are some days to note here following up to the case and the timeline as well. So we have June seventeenth, George and Cindy. Anthony noticed that the gate to the swimming pool is open and the ladder is next to the pool. June twentieth is captured in various photos partying at Fusion nightclub and participating in quote a hot body contest, oh my. June twenty third, Anthony Lorenzo testified that he helped Casey break into the shed at her parents' home and take gas cans for Casey's car, which had run out of gas. Lorenzo said he watched Casey open the trunk of her car, Although he did not see inside of the trunk, he said there was no odor that he could detect. June twenty fourth, George called police to report a break in and report the gas cans missing. Later this day, he saw Casey at the Anthony residence and confronted her about taking them. George said that when he went to get them out of his daughter's car, he ran past them quickly. She ran past them quickly, sorry, quickly opened the trunk and retrieved the gas cans herself, yelling here's your fucking gas cans. George testified that he smelled gasoline in car, but did not detect any other odors. June thirtieth, Casey's car is towed from a parking lot after being there for several days. Her purse and a child's car seat are found in the car's back seat. July second, Casey gets a tattoo on her back saying bella vita, which means beautiful life in Italian. July fifteenth, nine to one phone call was made to report Kaylee officially missing. Wow, which brings us to where we are now.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, I need to go back to like the Google search of the strangulation thing, which was so crazy. Yeah, I mean, I can't super drudge. My Google history is really fucked up. But I'm also like doing true crime podcasts, So that's really messed up. And the fact that she got the tattoo, I feel like, is also like super messed up.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now there is something else that's super messed up that I wanted to discuss here. That's not technically in the timeline, but it was brought into evidence. So this takes place on June twenty first, a couple weeks after her disappearance, and it is a entry into her diary. The diary entry says June twenty first, and it reads this, I have no regrets, just a bit worried. I just want for everything to work out. Okay. I completely trust my own judgment, and I know that I made the right decision. I just hope that the end justifies the means. I want to know what the future will hold for me. I guess I will soon see. This is the happiest that I have been in a very long time. I hope that my happiness will continue to grow. I've made new friends that I really like. I've surrounded myself with good people. I'm finally happy. Let's just hope that it doesn't change.
Speaker 3: Okay, this just keeps getting worse and worse and worse. If you needed. Okay, there are other means of like if you decided you didn't want to be a parent, right, or you needed to live a different life or a happier life. It's like there's other means of like not being a parent. Then then I don't know then what everyone is thinking potentially happened. M m.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean this like, this is admittedly after her daughter is missing, and this is an entry into her diary.
Speaker 3: And so if if the daughter is missing, there is like no way in hell that she should be living her best life. Yeah, like, no way.
Speaker 1: I am finally happy. Let's just hope that it doesn't change. Are you fucking kidding me?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, this is just Oh I just don't like this.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I've been wanting to research this case for a while and it's a whole lot more of a can of worms than I ever expected it.
Speaker 3: It's a lot.
Speaker 1: Now. The world was sure that Casey was going to be found guilty of this until her defense made their closing statement.
Speaker 3: Okay, I want to hear it. What is this?
Speaker 1: Well, the closing statement is rather long winded, so I'm not going to go into that exact quotations or anything like that that's fine, but you can find it up on YouTube. It's I do recommend you go watch it now. They pointed out, basically as a sum that all the evidence against Casey showed a distraught mother, it showed a victim of circumstance, and that they claimed that the prosecution was playing on the emotions of the jury as they painted Casey in the worst light possible, all to make her look guilty.
Speaker 3: Of course, yeah, that probably happened.
Speaker 1: Excuse me, I just burped. Wow. I tried to make it quiet. It didn't really work. So because of all this, they had the jury against Casey even though there was zero evidence tying her to the death of her daughter. There was zero evidence to show she did anything to cause any harm to Kaylee. There was zero evidence to show she knew anything. The death of Casey. I'm sorry Kaylee Anthony was one hundred percent unsolved, and that all the prosecut had was pure speculation against it offendant. And yeah, after that, they held up their their story of the accidental drowning in the grandparents pool. Hmmm, they have a point. There is a lot of speculation. There's a lot of fucked up shit going don't get me wrong. But there's not I drop of blood. Well, yeah, there's not a hair, there's not a fingerprint.
Speaker 3: I mean we we've done other cases like that too, where it's just it makes sense I guess that the person did it, but then there is really no evidence at all. But then there's no evidence for whoever anyone that did it. So it's like someone had to have done this.
Speaker 1: Yeah someone did. Yeah, but there's no more proof to show that she did it than I did it.
Speaker 3: Technically, Oh my gosh, technically there was no evidence on the body whatsoever?
Speaker 1: Then? Eh, really no evidence found?
Speaker 3: Would they not have been able to tell if the if the my daughter had drowned? Verse?
Speaker 1: Like it was more so skeletal remains by the time they found her, so cause was not easy to find, right, Okay, so it speculated it was suffocation speculated, hmm. And that's all they have is speculation, which sucks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that sucks, It really does, because, like, I want to know what the freak happened here, I'd really love to know.
Speaker 1: Well, I think we all would. But what happened next was on July fifth of twenty eleven, after about ten hours of deliberation, the jury found Casey Anthony not guilty of the first degree murder, not guilty of aggravated manslaughter, and not guilty of aggravated child abuse. They did, however, convict her of four misdemeanor charges of giving false information to law enforcement.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, well she definitely did that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So she was sentenced to one year in county jail and up to one thousand dollars in fine for each of the four misdemeanors, and the judge ordered the sentence to run consecutively, but based on the credit years she had already served. Based on what she'd served as, she would end up only serving ten days after her sentencing because she had already served the time.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, well, I don't know what to say. That's crazy.
Speaker 1: Well, as of today, Casey is a free woman, living her life as she pleas. She still upholds that she doesn't know what happened to her daughter and that she doesn't care what anyone thinks about it. She's also working as a private investigator now alongside Patrick McKenna, her defense investigator. Really, there's no evidence to show any sort of romantic relationship, but yeah, she's now an investigator alongside him, and she says that she's good at what she does because she uses the tactics that were used against her in her case, but this way in her turn doing them for good now instead.
Speaker 3: That's so interesting that the lawyer and defense or whatever just believed her that much. So, I mean, that's something. But the thing is like she just has to have been heartbroken, like her daughter is good, but it doesn't seem.
Speaker 2: Like she is.
Speaker 1: She knows something something. I know that much because if her claims are then nanny took my daughter, and then in court it's found out that nanny doesn't even exist. Well, then what the fuck was it?
Speaker 3: Mm hm yeah, I mean there's just too many lies. There's there's too many and.
Speaker 1: Like we mentioned, the idea of being a pathological liar very real. It stated that the dad had helped her cover up an accidental death, but the dad would on trial saying that didn't happen. So someone is lying.
Speaker 3: I wonder if she has any relationship on her parents after this.
Speaker 1: I would assume not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, probably not.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but I would assume not.
Speaker 3: They would have to be incredibly forgiving people, no kidding how what she did.
Speaker 1: That would take a lot of strength. Yeah, and I mean if they do have that strength, good on them, that that's good. Yeah, but I don't know if I could do that.
Speaker 3: No, No, not at all.
Speaker 1: So that is the story of Kaylee Anthony and Casey Anthony.
Speaker 3: I really want to see a picture of this little girl to see if I recognize her. That's just heartbroken.
Speaker 1: Well, well, we'll definitely put that People magazine cover up on her Instagram on Facebook.
Speaker 3: Okay, so yeah, because we I mean I've always like, you're just at the grocery store and you look at these these magazines all the time, right, so I'm curious, Well I do anyway, I don't know if you do.
Speaker 1: Do you? I mean I see them, I don't specifically go out on my way to investigate them.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, I'll you should grab one and like look at it lots of times. So I'm just like curious to know if I would recognize this picture.
Speaker 1: So no, my my usual standing in the grocery store aisle and I see them as I'm usually eye rolling at the celebrity gossip. Oh my god, what has Brad Pitt done?
Speaker 3: Now? Yeah, like picking it up, reading the whole cover, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely different perspectives that way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, well that's the case.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that's definitely like wild. My brain is just like still going crazy.
Speaker 1: So what's the case that we're about to record for Patreon.
Speaker 3: It's kind of a doozy. It's a big one. It is the case of Joe Methani.
Speaker 1: Oh snap, I know that one.
Speaker 3: So this is the nasty mofo that allegedly served his victims to innocent bystanders via an open pit beef stand.
Speaker 1: Delicious and nutritious. Yeah yeah, Soilent Green's coming up on the on the Patriot epis.
Speaker 3: So clearly yeah, yeah, they're in for it.
Speaker 1: If you want to give that a listen, you can find us over on Patreon. You can sign up for the all Access tier and that's where you can listen to these monthly exclusive episodes. Or you can just support us on Instagram, Facebook, you know, all that good stuff. Or you can just keep listening to us. Maybe give us a review. Five stars would be appreciated.
Speaker 3: We would love that.
Speaker 1: But either way, we appreciate that you're here and you guys are incredibly amazing, and of course, as always, stay wicked