Speaker 1: And now your host for Morongo Casino Dodgers on Deck.
Speaker 2: Damn kays Hi everybody, and welcome in to Morongo Casino Dodgers on Deck. Thanks for being with us on this Friday night in the Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: Dodgers sixty six and.
Speaker 2: Forty nine on this season, first place to top the NL West. The lead, though, is starting to shrink down to just two and a half games over the Padres, three and a half games over the Diamondbacks after dropping two of three to the Phillies to start the homestand the Dodgers now welcome the Pittsburgh Pirates to town for a three game weekend series tonight.
Speaker 3: Jack Flaherty on the mound.
Speaker 2: First pitch from Dodgers Stadium is coming up at seven to ten. We got a lot to get to over the next hour here on Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck. We're gonna hear from the man of the Night, Dusty Baker in forty five minutes. Dusty Baker, now the eighth player to be inducted into the Legend to Dodgers Baseball before tonight's game, honoring his eight seeds with the Dodgers as he helped them to a three national egue pennants and a nineteen eighty one World Series championship that's coming up. In forty five minutes, we'll check in with David Vassa. Throughout the show, we'll dive deeper into this pitching matchup.
Speaker 3: We'll of course have your Dodgers magical moment.
Speaker 2: Shortly, we'll hear from Kirsten Watson, who's live on the field at Dodgers Stadium. In just a few minutes, we'll send it out to Rick Monday at the Galpin Motors Broadcast booth. Well Wednesday night, a frustrating call turned into a frustrating night for the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: Cavin Stone got the start.
Speaker 2: The right hander immediately got tagged by Kyle Schwarber for a home run.
Speaker 3: To lead off the game.
Speaker 2: The Phillies the early one nothing lead, but that didn't last long. Is a Dodgers answer back In the bottom of the first Freddie Freeman and RBI single tied the game at none and won and then came at Gel Rojas.
Speaker 4: One ozer pitch, Rojas blisters of all the left field. Hey, he's coming in, it's sicking. He can't all make the cats. Freeman cross his home play Dodgers half the lead. A tie breaking single for Miguel Rojas in his first plate appearance off the Il Harvey I.
Speaker 2: Single for Miguel Dodgers up two to one. In the second, the Dodgers added to their lead thanks to Freddy Freeman.
Speaker 5: First pitcher.
Speaker 4: Freeman, He's swinging a little flair left side, turning going back from shore. It drops in the left field arm scores Kiermia.
Speaker 6: Right behind him. A two run bloop single for.
Speaker 4: Freddy Freeman, and now he's got three RBIs.
Speaker 6: The Dodgers have a three run lead, four to one.
Speaker 7: That's the O line in the box score tomorrow. That will look like a line drive.
Speaker 2: No doubt about a two out, two run single for Freddy Freeman. That is the top tier play of the game, brought to you by Arco quality, top tier gas for less.
Speaker 3: Dodgers.
Speaker 2: With a four to one lead and feeling good. In the fifth though, things started to get away from Gavin Stone. Kyle Schwarber a two run double that made it a four to three Dodgers lead. In the sixth inning, Alex Baum to the left, Brandon Marsh grounded into a fielder's choice at third, but Key k hernet Is.
Speaker 3: His throw to Miguel Rojas.
Speaker 2: Ruled interference by umpire Hunter Windelstead. Boom then scored on a jt Real Muto RBI ground out to third against Joe Kelly. That tide they came at four. Joe Kelly walked, Nick Castianis, Joe on Rojastin loaded the bases. Brandon Marsh scored on a wild pitch and fell apart for the Dodgers in that sixth inning. Kyle Schwarber in his twenty seventh home run to lead off the ninth inning against Michael Grove, the Dodgers let one get away. They fall to the Phillies nine to four. Dodgers blow a lead for the second straight game. Dodgers dropped two of three to Philadelphia. They're now sixty six and forty nine on this season, and they're lead now two and a half games in the Division over the Padres, and tonight the Pirates in town for a three game series. Check Flaherty on the mound, first pitch coming up at seven to ten, and with more, let's head out to the Gallpin Motors broadcast booth as we say hello to Rick Monday and friends.
Speaker 7: Thank you very much, Tim And for the Dodgers back in Harness, and they're leading out two and a half games in front of the second place San Diego and andres three and a half in front of Arizona. And for the Dodgers trying to get it in the gear with Jack Flaherty, his second Dodger starting on the mound here tonight. Well, it's a big night in a lot of different ways. Dodgers, steady, and first of all, Dusty Baker is going to become the eighth former player inducted it into the legends of Dodger Baseball.
Speaker 5: And I have the pleasure.
Speaker 7: Of bringing back on the air not only a friend of mine, but a broadcast partner of mine that I have dearly missed. And he's here and we're going to do some baseball. And that's Charlie Steiner and Charlie. I cannot tell you enough how many times people have said, how's Charlie doing well? Charlie is doing well enough, and welcome back, my friend.
Speaker 8: You know, this is our twentieth year together, and I thought, well, happy anniversary. I'm sorry I'm a little late to wish it, but we're back. You know, some folks know that I've had a bad back. I don't recommend it to anyone, but we're getting better. We're here tonight. A I miss you, I miss Dwayne, I miss David. Is so much fun to see everybody again. I've been sneaking in and out here and there the last couple of weeks as I am progressing, and we'll get to do a couple of innings tonight together. I miss you, guys. Don't get me gone, I'll start to tear up. I'm so happy.
Speaker 5: Well, we're not going to let that happen.
Speaker 7: But you and I have been talking about this Dodger ball club on and off because we're on the phone. A lot of we're not on the phone, we're texting back and forth. Okay, the lead is two and a half games. The Dodgers since the opening day, which took place in South Korea, have had a share of the lead in the nash League Western Division. But quite frankly, they need to play better. They need to hit better, and they also need some healthy guys that can pitch better.
Speaker 8: Well, and talking about help. At least now it looks like Mookie will be back. He's been on the field here today last couple of days and I gather he'll be back in right field and not at short stop beginning on Monday. And as you mentioned, the Dodgers got off to the great start that everybody expected and then now it is really kind of petered out. Yeah, and for the last what is it, three months, roughly a five hundred tea.
Speaker 7: Your impressions are watching his team. Yes, they've had the injuries, there's no question about it, but the other guys have had to step up. They've had to reach into the minor league level. They've been over thirty three pitchers that have also been used. But just a brief sketch if you will, what you have seen from this team of what you think that.
Speaker 5: They need to do as far as the direction from here.
Speaker 8: I think health is the big thing. You know, when you're missing the likes of a Mookie Bets day in and day out, and when he comes back, you will be batting second, which I find fascinating, and not short stuff, but in right field once they get their help. If my grandmother used to say, how you doing, Grandma, If you got your health, you got everything, And they're getting close, Hi, Grandma, buffing beyond all that again, I'm so thrilled to be back in the booth with you guys and uh but we'll chat more about it a little bit later on. But between now and then, much more important stuff than their health or mine.
Speaker 2: We go back to Tim, Charlie. Great to hear your voice. Great to have you back on the broadcast. The great Charlie Snider back with us tonight for a few Indians coming up here on Marago Casino, Dodgers on Deck. We are going to hear from the manager Dave Roberts. We'll check in with David Vazz. He'll go one on one with Dusty Baker, who's being honored tonight in the Legends of Dodgers Baseball. We'll dive deeper in to this pitching matchup up next, so your o Tawny Rewind, we'll visit with Kirsten Watson live on the field at Dodgers Stadium. So much to get to as we lead you up to first pitch on this Friday night, Dodgers and Pirates, first pitcher, Dodger Stadium is at seven ten.
Speaker 3: Thanks for being with us.
Speaker 2: I'm Tim Katsus Los Angeles Dodgers Audio.
Speaker 1: Network is Morongo Casino Dodgers on Dodgers on deck y'all on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: And so Dodgers and the Pirates started a three game set. Mitch Keller, Jack Flarity, the pitching matchup as we cut you down to first pitch, Dodger fans, get your game day meal on a Shaky's Pizza parlor. What are your Shaky's Pizza, Chicken and Mojo's right now at Shakey's dot Com.
Speaker 3: Mitch Keller, Jack Flerity.
Speaker 2: The pitching matchup in this series opener, first pitch coming up at seven ten.
Speaker 6: This is the Otani.
Speaker 2: Rewind Well the Dodgers fell to the Phillies on Wednesday Night showe E. Otani had a rough night, oho for five on Wednesday, zero hits in his last nine at bets going back to the last two games against Philadelphia. However, he's now hitting three to oh two on this season. He's still top ten in baseball and batting average in top five in home runs. Y Otani Rewind brought to you by Eto into Oyocha, Japan's number one green Tea and the tea that show Hey Otani Loves and drinks available at your local DISO stores, Amazon and etoin dot com.
Speaker 3: That's it O E N dot com.
Speaker 6: This is Kirston's corner with Kirston Watson.
Speaker 2: And Kirston now joins us from Dodgers Stadium. A busy day with Dusty Baker going into the Legends of Dodgers Hall of Fame. But off the field, Mookie Bets getting closer to returning to this Dodgers lineup, and Kirston when he does, he's gonna be playing right field.
Speaker 9: So he's, like you said, he's getting even closer. And he's been taking part in different sim games the last couple of days, including one today, and everyone noticed that when he was taking part of the sim game in between is at best, he would go and do some just defensive reps and he was taking fly balls in right field. So of course the question came up of especially after the other day when Dave Roberts said that he's going to primarily be playing at shortstop, questions came up of, you know what led to now him getting reps in right field and what does that mean for the team. So Dave Roberts today that then he had a conversation with Movie last night, and you know, They've been having a lot of conversations just as of late as kind of what the team needs and things like that, and it's for both sides. It just made the most sense for him to go back to right field. They've obviously been staying that Gavin Bluff has been playing really strong at second base, and I think you know, earlier season there are maybe some questions of maybe does movie come back at the second basement and they come back at shortstop. And then we've been seeing toguil roof not only getting his bat going but continuing to play go in dee bet he's now healthy and he saw him making some huge plays the other day. And then you acquire someone like Nick Ahmed, and there's all these other players that have come in who can kind of play at different parts of the field. A lot of the questions were what are the needs right now, and right now the need is Mookie Bets and right field. He obviously has been working really hard to try to come back as the shortstop, and it even said that these last what months and a half has been kind of like a spring training for him of getting his reps at short So yes, he's gonna have to kind of get readjusted going back to right field, but he has the confidence and his skill set and so that's just what the team means. Now he's still going to be batting second behind Shoeotani, which was another, you know, big move, But right now it's what does the team need to win, and right now they need Mookie Betts and right field to not only win the division, to win to win the Pennant and to ultimately win the World Serio.
Speaker 2: Quick update, Tommy Edmonds going out in a minor league rehab, Assigmon and Max Months he's getting close, sir.
Speaker 9: Yeah, both of those guys. They flew out today. So they're going to meet the Oklahoma City team and Dave was saying, I calling need about a week of just whether it's fast, playing defense, all the above, and then they're going to have a conversation at the end of the week and kind of reevaluate see where they're at. But hopefully they'll be returning quickly after that.
Speaker 2: Deerson, we appreciate it. We will check in with you after the game. The guys are starting to get back healthy. This Dodgers roster is starting to look like the roster we saw pre All Star breaking.
Speaker 3: That is certainly great news. We appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Dodger fans and hansher listening experience by downloading the iHeartRadio I've been listening in HD. It's all powered by LA Care Health Plans serving all Angelinos lacare dot org. Still they come here on Dodgers on Deck, will dive deeper to this bitching matchup. David Vassa goes one on one with Dusty Baker. But up next we get you an injury report. Hey, we'll hear from the manager himself, Dave Roberts. It's the Dodgers and Pirates on this Friday night, first pitch and seven ten. I'm Tim Kass, Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Morongo Casino Dodgers Hunting game on your home for La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 3: Wrongo Casino.
Speaker 2: Dodgers on Deck continues as we lead you up to first pitch on this Friday at night. It's the Dodgers and Pirates, Morongo Casino Resort in Spa, a grand slam for a good times. Mitch Keller, Jack Flaherty. The pitching matchup tonight in the series opener. First pitch, It's sevent ten.
Speaker 6: It's the LA Dodgers Injury.
Speaker 2: Report presented by UCLA Healthy Official medical partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Bruis dar graderol back on the IL with the hamstring injury. Blake Trining on the IL at the left hip discomfort. Chris Taylor is still on the IL with he left groin straight. He just can't seem to get healthy. Mookie bets on the IL. He'll return on the next road trip. Yoshinobu Yamamoto is pro guessing throwing bullpen sessions. Walker Bueller. Soon we'll rejoin this Dodgers team. Max Munsey, Ryan Brazier on the IL as they continue to work their way back. All right, let's tap back out to Dodger Stadium and check you with the Dodger Skipper.
Speaker 5: Anything else with questions for Dave Dave? Can you just describe Dave? Can you talk about the pressure in.
Speaker 6: The dugouts with Dave Roberts.
Speaker 10: It's coming along well, you know, they're they're taking it bats, they're playing defense. Uh, you know, they're running the bases and all that stuff. So I'm encouraged.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 10: Mookie is still on track to join us on Monday. And you know, CT is probably a couple of weeks behind. Uh, Tommy and Max just went on rehab. They left today and they'll start playing games with OKC tomorrow, and so you know, I'm hopeful that in a week we'll get both those guys back, you know, a week or so something like that. And yesterday Walker just kind of on the re have front. Walker was good yesterday, then got into the sixth inning, which was really good to see the performance of stuff. All that was lined up. So, you know, to imagine him making a start for us in Milwaukee seems feasible. So we're trending he is as.
Speaker 1: Righting the guys play in that conversation that just taking he inspress right.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think that with Mookie, he's first off, what he's done for us at shortstop doesn't go unnoiced, taking on that daunting task to be a great teammate, and he was relentless, has been relentless with his work at short as we've all seen guys that have been here every day. And so I think that, you know, we've had commons essentially daily about what's best for him, what's best for the team, And I think that, you know, I know that I said that. You know, we want to start with Mooki out there at short to then give the potential a pivot out there. I had a good conversation with him last night, and you know, I think right now and again things always seem to change. But right now we're gonna go. We're gonna kick Mooky out to right field.
Speaker 2: All right, there's Dave Roberts. The big news today. Mookie Bett's going to right field. Down the dugout brought to you by Service Titan. Dave Roberts is a Titan in his own right, and he's going to plan me for his team hits the field. You need one for your growing contracting business too. Let's Service Titan help you implement it. Learn more at Service Titan dot com. Will we continue here on Dodgers on Deck. We will check you in with David Vassey as we lead you up to first pitch on this Friday Night Dodgers and Pirates. I'm Tim Katese's Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino, Dodgers on Deck on your home for the blue all Season law.
Speaker 2: It's the Dodgers and Pirates on this Friday Night started of a three game weekend set. Mitch Keller, Jack Flaherty out of Burbank. The pitching matchup. First pitch coming up at sevent ten. This umpiring crew for tonight's game brought to you by Fred Loyer Insurance, celebrating fifty years of providing reliable and affordable car insurance for you and your family. Tonight the start of a three game set, and again first pitch is sevent ten.
Speaker 6: Joining Tim Kates on Dodgers on Deck.
Speaker 11: I accept everybody for who they are.
Speaker 6: This is Dodger insider David Basse.
Speaker 2: All right, DV, you're gonna go high and tight with Dusty Baker in about twenty minutes. But what a night to celebrate one of the great.
Speaker 3: Dodgers, no doubt.
Speaker 11: And when he was playing, I'm not sure if you know this, Tim, they called left field Baker's field here at Dodgers Stadium. And how about this He was telling the story story in his press conference that there was a fan in the left field pavilion that would throw bubblegum to Dusty Baker, and then all of a sudden it turned into all the fans throwing bubblegum to Dusty Baker when he would take his position out there in left field. But he said he would only eat the gum from that fan because he trusted that gum. He wasn't sure what could have been in those other gums that were being thrown at him. So it's awesome that Dusty's going to be honored Reggie Smith this year. Kenny Landrou is here, Rick Monday is right in front of me, So it's a special night to have a lot of his teammates here to celebrate one of the all time favorite Dodgers.
Speaker 3: No doubt about it. David is driven by Ford.
Speaker 2: If there's one thing we like, its choice is fine yours with the four f one fifty gas hybrid or electric tough this mart it can be only called f one fifty. Jack Flaherty gets to start tonight, David. He got to start in Oakland last time his Dodger debut, But tonight his Dodger debut at Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 11: Really full circle for Jack Flarerity. In twenty thirteen, when he was pitching for Harvard Westlake in the CIF Championship game, he pitched a complete game shutout to win the championship for Harvard Westlake. And also drove in the only run of the game. It was a one nothing game. So Jack Flarity on the mound in twenty thirteen as a high school senior, and now here he is tonight wearing a Dodger uniform, making his Dodger Stadium debut this season. Wearing that blue certainly a special night for him, his mom and everybody that saw him grow up in the San Fernando Valley.
Speaker 2: All Right, David Mookie Bags, last time we spoke, he was not gonna be batting lead off, but he was gonna play shortstop.
Speaker 3: Now, Dave Roberts, we've just heard from him.
Speaker 2: He said, not batting lead off and not playing shortstop anymore.
Speaker 3: What's going on?
Speaker 11: Well, when I got here to Dodgers Stadium, I saw they were getting ready for a simulated game where Mooki was participating. That part was not out of the ordinary. And then all of a sudden we saw Mooki Bets go out to right field, and that was certainly eye catching, And Dave Roberts was asked about it. And Muki is coming back Monday in Milwaukee, and Mookie Betts will be the starting right fielder. And right now, tim the Dodgers don't have the luxury of time to figure things out. There are only three games ahead of the Diamondbacks and Padres as play starts tonight. They are in a division race. And Dave Roberts had a phone call with Mookie Betts and asked him where do you feel the most confident, and MOOKI was honest. Right field and he's a six time goal glover.
Speaker 3: Tim.
Speaker 11: Many consider him one of the greatest, if not the greatest, right fielder of his generation. It just makes a lot of sense, especially when you have a guy like Miguel Rojas at shortstop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no doubt about that. Smart move all around for the Dodgers. David great stuff. Dave's gonna go one on one with Dusty Baker in fifteen minutes.
Speaker 3: You're not gonna want to miss that, Dodger fans.
Speaker 2: Next TV should be break down this pitching matchup still to come up next, So your Dodgers magical moment.
Speaker 3: We're leading you up to Dodgers and Pirates.
Speaker 2: Jack Flarity making his home debut in a Dodger uniform, the Pride of burmak on the mound, first pitch at seven ten. I'm Tim Kats's Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: As we were saying, this is Marongo Casino Dodgers on Jack on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: It's a Dodgers and Pirates the startum in three games, said, Dodgers.
Speaker 3: Clinging to it two and a half game lead in the division.
Speaker 2: Mitch Killer Jack Flarity the pitching matchup tonight in this series opener. First pitch coming up at sevent ten.
Speaker 12: Who wants.
Speaker 6: It's time for the Hawfe Magical Moment.
Speaker 1: Pitch Magical presented by Hawfy Hot Dogs.
Speaker 2: July second, two thousand and eighteen, the Dodgers played host to the Pittsburgh Pirates as the Dodgers made the Pirates walk the plant that night.
Speaker 3: Three balls, one strike, and one out.
Speaker 8: Here's pitch, flyball the left field.
Speaker 12: He is eight for eight, including a three run home run.
Speaker 3: Matt Kemp having the time of his life. When the Dodgers lead sixteen to one. Yeah, Matt Kemp with the three run home run.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers absolutely boat race the Pirates. A final is seventeen to one. That night, as the Dodgers beat up on Pittsburgh. This Hofey Magical Moment brought to you by Haffy hot Dogs, a SOCAW treasure for over one hundred years.
Speaker 3: Visit Hafeybrandon dot.
Speaker 2: Com to find out where you can purchase Crave Delicious Haffey hot Dogs. Cat you tell you here on Dodgers on Deck, we will check in with Rick Monday, so we lead you up to first pitch Dodgers and Pirates. I'm Tim Kats's Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Morongo Casino, Dodgers on Todgers on Deck. Y'all on the official home of LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: Hey's the Dodgers and Pirates On this Friday night. Jack Flaherty makes his home debut first pitch coming up at seven ten, Dodgers continuing their homestand Dodgers fans. Start your future to California Community College. Financial aids available to help you with tuition, the books, and sometimes even the rent. Yes, it's time to take that next big step. Classes can fill up quickly, so enrolled today and I can go to college dot.
Speaker 1: Com and now joined by David Bassaying, Here's LA Dodgers broadcaster and World Series Champion Dodger Rick Monday.
Speaker 11: Rick Mondy your best teammate. It's being honored in the legends of Dodger Baseball. Dusty Baker.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Johnny b the hard bake, doctor scald was the other was the other nick.
Speaker 11: Where did that nickname come from?
Speaker 5: And I brought this up. I think was on the road. We talked about him.
Speaker 7: Dusty had a tendency to say and he hit the ball, and he hit the ball hard a lot, so he would come back he goes, I scalded that ball.
Speaker 5: So we kept hearing I scalded it. I scalded it. So we just coined the phrase doctor scold.
Speaker 11: Hey, Rick, I was not teammates with him. I was just a kid watching you guys play in the San Fernando Valley. What made Dusty Baker such a great teammate.
Speaker 7: He had high expectations of himself, higher expectations of himself than those around him, and he wanted to prove a point all the time. You know, he's the same guy that was able to shake Hank Aaron's hand when he hit that big home run. And he learned a lot from Hank Aaron about not only being a player, but also about being he uman, being kind of man. And that's carried over to the Dusty.
Speaker 5: He always wanted to excel, but.
Speaker 7: Again his expectations were the highest of himself versus those around him. Someone asked me, also, a lot of people ask me, did it surprise me at all that Dusty became, first of all, a manager. The answer is flat out no. And then they asked me, did it surprise me at all that it became a very good manager? And that was double note. And here's a couple of reasons why. First of all, he's a wonderful person. You saw the ballplayer. He didn't get to see the person. Secondly because of the expectations that he had it himself. But the other part too, is he reads people very well. And by that I'm talking about you know, we work with people and we see them me eaching every day. And it's even more I think concentrated on a baseball field with the ups and downs and the expectations, and really you're looking at livelihoods and guys succeed and fail in front of fifty thousand people each and every night during the regular season. Sometimes you become very fragile. So my point in being able to read people, he knows when he needs to put an arm around someone, and he knows when he needs to place a boot somewhere on someone's backside, and very seldom does he do the boot because he understands he can get a whole lot more from people, and understand people by putting their arm around him and encouraging and nurturing. And that's kind of in a nutshell, I was thinking about a couple of different things. If I'm going to look at Dusty Baker, I would say it was a pleasure to have Dusty as a teammate. He has been an honor to have me as a friend.
Speaker 11: Man, that's special. Rick, do you remember the first time you ever got a high five from Dusty Baker?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean he would bruise you. Yeah, he could bruise you and say, hey, wait a minute. You didn't necessarily want to high five him if you were coming to home plate. Here's why he hits a home run, you're standing at home plate celebrating and give him the high five. And I mean there was a loud sound that took place, and go, wait a minute, I have to let my hand cool off before I can grab the bat and go to home plate. He was one of those things let me tell you a quick story about Johnny b Dusty hard Bake, doctor skull Baker. I think we're in I think we're here in La playing against the Astros and Joaquin Andahar. If you think back into the memory bank, when he would strike a guy out, Joaquin Andahar would act as if he had a holster on his right side, and he would make believe he was pulling out a six shooter right, and then he was making believe that he was blowing into the barrel of the gun to blow the smoke out of it, because he just blew you away as a hitter. And then he would pretend that he was putting the gun, the six shooter back into the holster.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 7: So he strikes out Dusty in one game here Dodger Stadium would believe it was and he pulls out this imaginary pistol and he blows in the end of the barrel and then puts it back into the holster. He strikes it Dusty out. The second time he pulls it out, he blows in into the barrel and then he.
Speaker 5: Puts it back into the holster.
Speaker 7: And Johnny goes back into the dugout and he stands with his right foot up on that ledge, the first step to come out of the dungout at the time, and he has hands on his hips, and only as bait could he goes, yeah, go hey, keep laughing. Next time up, I'm gonna knock the spit right out of your mouth. And he stood there. The dugout got very quiet, and then he started to chuckle. And he turned around and goes, that was pretty weak, wasn't it. So he has the ability to laugh at himself at the same time.
Speaker 11: Love it, Rick, you're the best person to honor Dusty us.
Speaker 5: You can tell I don't like him at all.
Speaker 11: That bond will be there forever, that's for sure. Rick, thanks a lot for sharing those stories and man, awesome to have Dusty Baker being honored by the Dodgers long overdue. Yeah, well send it back to you out there in Thousand Oaks.
Speaker 2: Tim, All right, thanks loud DV. Great stuff, Rick Monday. Dodgers Baseball is brought to you by a Speedy Cat, official sponsor of every LA Weekend. Find out more at Speedy caash dot comerce stopping in LA Area Speedy Cash Store still to come here on Dodgers on Deck we'll get you a preview of this pitching matchup Rick Monday, we'll get you a keys to the game. But up next we go high and tight with the man of the night, Dusty Baker being inducted into the Legends of Dodgers Baseball Dodgers Pirates. First pitch is seven ten. I'm sim KATESUS Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Morongo Casino Dodgers Hunters game.
Speaker 6: On your home for LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: It's a Dodgers and Pirates on this Friday night to start him a three game set. Mitch Keller, Jack Flaherty. The pitching matchup, first bitch coming up at seven ten. Todgers Baseball is presented by Children's Hospital Los Angeles. When you need the very best care for your child, there's one place to go.
Speaker 3: That's Children's Hospital.
Speaker 2: La RAG number one in California for pediatric care. Find the right doctor at ch LA dot org.
Speaker 1: And now what will likely be vast a fielding insults from a Dodger player.
Speaker 3: It's an engagement of endearment.
Speaker 6: This is high and tight.
Speaker 11: Well, we're joined right now by a man that was a great player for the Dodgers, but more importantly, was beloved by his teammates and everybody that has ever come in contact with him. And that is the one and only Dusty Baker who is going into the legends of Dodger Baseball. Dusty, it's an honor to.
Speaker 5: Be here with you.
Speaker 11: This is the way it should be.
Speaker 12: Well, hey man, you've been interviewing me for years, and uh man, it's a time goes by very quickly. And I never thought about, you know, being a legend or just I just thought about playing ball and uh, you know, doing everything that I could to help my team win. It's just, uh, you know, it's a little strange to you know, to be here right now because I you know, I never thought of myself and so you know, I thought I was a good ball player. But at the same time, you know, and I you know, me going in the four guys like you know, Reggie Smith, I thought Reggie was the best player on the team. Oh yeah, I mean we all did. And uh and you know, you know, hopefully you know, and get Ronsea and some of my other teammates in because you know, without those guys, you know, I was hoping, well, when I look back, you know, they made me better coming here from the Braids. And I was hoping that possibly, you know, I could have you know, made them a little bit better. But they made me a lot better because I wanted to come here as a kid, I wanted to win the Dodgers and winners. I loved the Braids. I was born on the Braids, so to speak. But I I matured as a man and.
Speaker 5: A pro, you know, with the Dodgers.
Speaker 11: I remember in the eighties when you played Dusty the two best smiles in Los Angeles. One was at the form with Magic Johnson and the other smile that was the best was out here at Dodgers Stadium. The joy that you had for the game of baseball. Could you feel how infectious it was for your teammates and for the city.
Speaker 12: Well not really, Like I said, I didn't think about it.
Speaker 5: I love playing.
Speaker 12: I mean, I love it, and uh, you know, I try to respect the game, you know, as much as I could, and try to respect my you know, my teammates.
Speaker 5: I uh, you.
Speaker 12: Know, we came to play, and we came to play every day, I mean, and it was it was fun, yeah, you know, I mean, and and and the media guys were close to us at the same time, the media and and and the players were together. I mean, and that, you know, I kind of missed that after a while because now things are a little bit more adversarial than they were back in those days. I mean, you know, we'd hang out, you know, you know, with Joe McDonald and then I mean, you know, all these guys, Jim Hill, I mean, we were I mean we were like like one and uh so, uh.
Speaker 11: Would did Joe ever give you a ride in his Cadillac?
Speaker 12: Yeah? Yeah, if if I needed it, you know what I mean. You know, when every time I come to Dodge Stadium, it's like, you know, I have very pleasant memories here, and.
Speaker 5: You know, like I just.
Speaker 12: Think about a lot of the kids that were here, like you you know, and now they're fathers and grandfathers. Look at a few of them and just shows you how fast life goes. But you know, you try to enjoy it, try to do the right thing and treat people right.
Speaker 11: Dusty, before I let you go, the bond you shared with your teammates losing to the Yankees twice and then finally beating them, how much more complete is everything with you guys? Not only winning in eighty one, but beating those Yankees, well.
Speaker 12: You know something, I see Yankee fans now and they're still mad because we beat them one time. And I'm like, wait a minute, you guys beat us twice, and you know something. Seventy seven, I thought we had a great, great team and we had outstanding and then seven eight we were playing for Jim Gilliam who died of a brain aneurysm that August, and so we had this number on our sleeves and I think we were up to to nothing on the Yankees, and then we went to the Well two to nothing. We played them there, and then we came back here for a three game series and I don't think we lost the game of a series at home all year, and they beat us three in a row, and then we had to go back to New York to lose one in a row, to lose one and end up. I mean, I never you know, forget the you know, the pain and the hurt that we felt coming back home, because I was like the longest trip home. That was like a ghost trip. You know, none of us really wanted to come home. We didn't want to go out in the public. We didn't want to go to the supermarket, you know, because because we you know, we thought we were.
Speaker 5: Supposed to win.
Speaker 12: But you know, fourteen for us, we won eighty one, which wasn't our best team.
Speaker 5: So joseih show you.
Speaker 12: I mean a lot of times, you know, you win when you're supposed to win.
Speaker 11: Winner, Dusty Baker winning in life for sure.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Dusty.
Speaker 11: Right there, he is the man. He's about to be inducted into the Legends of Dodger Baseball. I think now from now on, I'm going out to that area where they're gonna put his picture and just you know, tap it every day that I come to the stadium right behind uh, right behind center field. They're gonna have you and everybody else in this Legends of Dodger Baseball.
Speaker 3: They put you up like a plaque.
Speaker 12: Really, I'm gonna go out there every day.
Speaker 11: I'm gonna send you a picture. Okay, man, there he is the great Dusty Baker. We'll send it back to you in thousand oaks.
Speaker 3: Tim all right, thanks lod DV. Thank you.
Speaker 2: Dusty Baker being honored right now as we speak is the Dodgers Legends of Baseball. Dodgers Baseball brought to you by Shakey's Pizza Parlor, the official pizza partner of the Dodgers Audio Broadcast. When it's game night, it's group night at Shaky's dot Com. As we lead you up to first Bitch Dodgers Empirates from Dodgers Stadium, I'm Tim Kats's Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino, Dodgers on deck on your home for the Blue All season long.
Speaker 2: It's a Dodgers and Pirates on this Friday nights. Dusty Baker inducted into the Legends at Dodgers Baseball. First pitch coming up at seven ten and.
Speaker 1: Now before the Dodgers hit the dining we look at the pitching matchup.
Speaker 2: PRIs ent about your Southern California Toyota dealers turn your trail dominating off roading dreams into a reality in an all new twenty twenty four Tacoma. See your Toyota dealer today. They make it easy. Mitch Keller on the mound ten and five with a three to twenty er Ray, twenty eight year old right hander, a second round pick of the Pirates in twenty fourteen, a sixth season now in the Big Leagues, making his twenty third start this season.
Speaker 3: He's got two thirty four er ray.
Speaker 2: Back to his start on five to six as May sixth, the Pirates have won five straight in seven of his last eight games that he's pitched in coming to the start, he's six in the National League in RRA and tied for six and wins. Last time out, four innings, one hit, for strikeouts and no decision against the Diamondbacks. It was only four innings because they had an hour and eight minute rain delay that he.
Speaker 3: Did not come back afterwards.
Speaker 2: Jack flairt he gets to start for the Dodgers the Pride of Burbank, twenty eight year old right hander in his eighth season in the Big Leagues Cardinals Orioles Tigers this year until he was traded to the Dodgers at the deadline. He's eight and five with a two to eighty RRA. In his first start the Dodgers six shutout innings against the A's, he scattered just five hits while striking out seven along the way in a win at Oakland last Saturday. He's facing the Pirates for the seventeenth time in his career, first as a Dodger he last pitched against him last June at PNC Park five and third innings, allowed one run over six innings while not factoring in the decision. Over sixteen games against the Buckos, he owned a nine to one record of the two to fifty two rray and ninety strikeouts. Dodgers Pirates were fifteen minutes. It's away from first pitch, Keys to the game. Our next I'm Tim Kas's Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 8: As we were saying.
Speaker 1: Yes is Morongo Casino Dodgers on deack on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: It's Dodgers and Pirates on this Friday night. Mitch Killer Jack Flaherty of the pitching matchup. Dodgers start the night with a two game lead in the division.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Padres just keep on winning.
Speaker 2: They won in Miami already a six to two finals, so they have won six in a row, eight of their last ten. Dodgers again a two game lead as we speak going into play tonight as the Dodgers started three game series against the Pirates. Dodgers fans at Hans are listening experience by downloading the iHeartRadio app and listening in HD It's a great way to take it with you on the go on your mobile device.
Speaker 3: It's crystal clear in HD and it's.
Speaker 2: All powered by La care Hell serving all Angelino's lacare dot org. All right, before first pitch, let's head back out to the booth. Rick Monday, Charlie Steiner, guys.
Speaker 8: All right, Tien back at Dodger Stadium, first of three the Pirates and the Dodgers. Neither team particularly hot coming into this three game set. The Dodgers their lead over the Padres now is just two and a half games in the Western Division and two terrific pitchers having hated tonight. Mitch Keller, He's ten and five out of the three. Twenty Eer the Pirates have won each of his last five starts and thirteen of his past fifteen. Jack Flaherty making his first start in a Dodger uniform here at Dodger Stadium. He is eight and five out of two.
Speaker 7: Eighty er and Charlie Flaerty was really really good on Saturday up in Oakland against the Ages. Six shutout innings, only one walk, only five hits, struck out seven. And I think really for both of these pitchers, tonight is going to be the breaking stuff, because if you're looking at Jack Flaherty, only four starters in baseball have thrown breaking balls more often than he has.
Speaker 8: The Pirates are just swept at home by the Padres, and they have lost six of their last seven, five of those defeats coming to us by one run.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: For Keller, he moves the fastball in on you, and he also has that good curve boall on top of it. Here's the thing too, with Keller, he's had hitters with two strikes. It's below a two hundred batting average. First of all, we're hitting one thousand tonight. I can't tell you what a big deal it is to have you back into booth, my friend.
Speaker 8: Love you guys, I really do. Can't wait for the first pitch it. Oh, by the way, come on Monday, Mookie Betts back in the lineup and he will be back in right field. Lineup's at first pitch coming up.
Speaker 2: All right, Great to hear you, Charlie, Great to have you back. Rick and Charlie Tien Neverard as well.
Speaker 3: A little bit later on, we'll have all the play by play as we lead you up to first pitch.
Speaker 2: Dodgers and pirates enjoy the game. First pitch itches Next, I'm Tim Katese's Morongo Casino Dodgers on Deck on the Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network