Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from kf I AM six forty. She confused artificial intelligence known as AI with a one.
Speaker 2: Social media is going nuts, big deal.
Speaker 3: She misspoke, okay, and of course social media media nailed her.
Speaker 4: I can't believe social media would come after her like that. You know, SoCal media today is rotting the brains of our two Alia.
Speaker 3: It's so so, it's not particularly impressive, okay, And it's media, all right, So so Amelia.
Speaker 2: And now handle on the news, ladies and gentlemen. Here's Bill Handle Thursday morning, April seventeen.
Speaker 3: Bill Handle here and in the morning crowd, and here we start another day.
Speaker 2: The A team. How long have we all been together? By the way, this particular group of.
Speaker 5: People a really long time?
Speaker 3: Well, Neil started, You're a year, Neil, you're a year too long.
Speaker 2: You're a a few months right, See.
Speaker 6: You started in January of last year, yes, so yeah, and I started in August of the year before.
Speaker 2: Hm hmm.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's been here longer. Have you've been here the longest with you Bill? Of the the current team? Yeah? And then Kna, when did you start?
Speaker 6: It was in like sex.
Speaker 1: Months after Anne?
Speaker 5: Really when I started, how long have you been here? An March twenty three, it's just two years last months with two.
Speaker 3: Years and Will just uh well, uh he's still Oh Will is sick.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's not here I now because I can't see him on the monitor.
Speaker 2: Sometimes he's on, sometimes he off. So all right, I won't talk to Will will Is sick. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean I used to have people that were twenty twenty five years on this station.
Speaker 1: Always you for that long?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean just I mean I have said what Michelle was with me twenty five years? Rich Baratta was twenty years Paul, Paul T Wall?
Speaker 5: When was Paul T Wall?
Speaker 2: When was Paul from the beginning?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: He was there from the very beginning, and then and then he left.
Speaker 4: Uh he went back to Guam, Yeah, to shake coconut trees his feet.
Speaker 3: Gary Hoffman was with me for eleven years as a male Amy.
Speaker 1: Amazing.
Speaker 5: He's gonna love that reference.
Speaker 3: He was a male Amy and then he went on to star in his own big show. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Then he went on to Gary and Shannon. Oh, a quick word.
Speaker 3: Last night, Neil and I were at we were.
Speaker 2: At an event at the Anaheim White.
Speaker 3: House, and of course Bruno and Silvano as usual, put on the most extraordinary dinner you could ever imagine.
Speaker 1: Two fantastic people, by the way.
Speaker 2: Yeah they are. And cat Arena's club. You know, we've been involved with him for.
Speaker 3: Fifteen sixteen years, and so we here's what we came up with. We're having this incredible meal, Phila mignon and salmon and the dervs.
Speaker 4: I mean just it was a sales mon and those yellow mashed potatoes, yes every time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're the saffron mashed potatoes. Anyway, here's what we thought. We're sitting there at the Anaheim White House and we're all sitting around having dinner and it was a sales event for prospective advertisers.
Speaker 1: And Lindsay reading some advertisers.
Speaker 3: We were yeah, and Lindsay started working the room and literally was shaking people, throwing him against the wall and said, you will advertise.
Speaker 2: In the morning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she was like Stursky and Hutch throwing Huggy Bear up.
Speaker 2: You know, I know, it was.
Speaker 3: She amazing in any case, and this food is incredible. So here's what we thought of, and we're going to do this and we're putting it together, and that is we are going to have for the first time in the history of this show.
Speaker 2: All right, we've never done this.
Speaker 3: So now we're thirty one and a half, almost thirty two years into this show.
Speaker 2: For the first.
Speaker 3: Time, we are going to have a sort of contest where five people and a plus one will have dinner with the entire Morning crew at the Anaheim White House. And it's going to be insane. So we're putting that together right now, and I don't know how we're going to do it, and you can have to try to figure out how we do this.
Speaker 2: People do they.
Speaker 3: Write in in an essay why I want to have dinner with the crowd or just your name, and then we pull it out of a hat.
Speaker 5: No, it can't be random.
Speaker 3: It has to be I think it has I think it has to be random.
Speaker 1: Under a ten page s say yeah, enjoy the show?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Or not?
Speaker 2: Why they would enjoy it? Why they enjoy me?
Speaker 4: Let me tell you something, The Anaheim White House food is so good. Even if you hate the Morning Show, would I would do the contest?
Speaker 5: Suffer through the company? How badly do you hate Bill? Let us know and then we can all just sit there and eat and watch them go off. On Bill and bring extra security.
Speaker 4: Okay, everybody will get a poncho like they give out at at the feet parks with the wet ride so they can sit by you when you eat.
Speaker 1: That'll be great.
Speaker 3: Sounds good to me. All right, guys, let's do it. It's time for a handle on the news.
Speaker 2: Amy.
Speaker 3: I said hello to everybody. Kno, everybody, I said hello, good morning. All right, let's do it. Handle on the news, Amy, Neil and me lead story US sister Judge Jane Boseburg. He's hearing the case of the now determined Illy Gal, a migrant abrego who was tossed into that president at El Salvador. He was deported by mistake. The Trump administration admitted by mistake, and the court has ordered that the Trump administration facilitate his return. And basically the administration said.
Speaker 2: You can go pound sand. We have no intention of doing that.
Speaker 3: The L Salvadorian president said, we have no intention of returning him. By the way, he hasn't been charged with anything, either here in this country or in Now Salvador. He's just sitting in one of the most notorious prisons, if not the most notorious prison in all of El Salvador.
Speaker 2: And went to court.
Speaker 3: Supreme Court unanimously said to the Trump administration, get going and returned this guy. Administration said no, And now the judge is about to said that there's probable cause that the whole Trump administration violated the court order and will be in criminal contempt. What do you do with the Trump administration? Do you say put yourself in prison? And who gets nailed for that? We'll see what the judge orders. And I think they're may be hearing.
Speaker 6: Today still on the same subject and no face to face time. The government of El Salvador has denied a request from Senator Chris van Holland from Maryland to free Kilmar Abrago Garcia. That's the guy who was swept up in the ice ray and taken off to El Salvador. Van Holland flew to El Salvador yesterday trying to get him released.
Speaker 5: Also, he was refused.
Speaker 6: An opportunity to meet with the Abrigo Garcia and couldn't speak to him on the phone.
Speaker 3: They said nope, yep, and the administration is laying into him. That's Chris van Holland, Democrat by the way, from Maryland for even doing that. It's this thing is getting crazier.
Speaker 4: And you know what cracked me up is yesterday Van Holland or whatever came out and he was like, he the president and his administration didn't follow the proper procedures.
Speaker 1: I'm like, what do you think an illegal alien is?
Speaker 2: But he was legal?
Speaker 1: Yeah, who didn't follow the proper procedures?
Speaker 2: Well, but there's proper procedures to deport.
Speaker 4: I get so they both they both didn't do the proper procedures. But it's like, uh, I love the whole nobody's above the law that we hear all the time when it comes to the president and everything else.
Speaker 1: And then it's like, well except these people, No, that's not.
Speaker 2: True because they're not above the law.
Speaker 3: They just you have to punish or try them or have a hearing that's within the law.
Speaker 2: There has to be due process.
Speaker 3: You can't do exactly what the administration does is just pick someone up off the street, deport them. Oops, made a mistake while how about getting him back? Now?
Speaker 1: I get that.
Speaker 2: Now we ever have.
Speaker 4: A friendly neighbor law with Mexico and Canada.
Speaker 1: I don't understand why.
Speaker 2: Well, we never really had a big here.
Speaker 3: We've never had a big issue with Canada in terms of illegal immigration Mexico. We have, but it was it's complicated because you know, during the Nixing years we had the Bresserra program where migrants not migrants, where people would come from Mexico during the harvesting season and then go back. And it's just it hasn't been as bad I means as it has been recently.
Speaker 2: So it's I mean, there's no easy answer here. There really isn't you know.
Speaker 3: I have to give credit to the Trump administration for being really aggressive and shutting down the border. Stuff like this. I don't understand. I mean, this is crazy, you know, tossing someone out. You make a mistake. Okay, we made a mistake. Now let's do everything we can to bring him back. Nothing nothing, I mean, crickets.
Speaker 2: Now he's there.
Speaker 3: We have no intention and he'll never come back. Oh he's a criminal, he's a member of MS thirteen. Well, the problem is is that there's no proof. The government said that, and the judge said, okay, where show me the proof, you know, show me the beef. Well we really don't have it. It's like Giuliani with this crazy stuff about all of the fraud, and the judge said, well, show me the fraud. Well, we really don't have it, but we're alleging there was fraud in the election.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 4: The Trump administration going head to head with Habit in the AD. So you've got the IRS has been asked now by the Trump administration to either they've got their different levels of attorneys, so the top attorney to revoke Harvard University's tax exempt status. This comes from a couple of people that are familiar with the situation, and this is this big toe to toe President Trump with his concerns that the institution is handling the anti semitism and diversity practices improperly, and the directive is a significant escalation rather of the President's feud with this Ivy League institution.
Speaker 2: Yeah, another story. The IRS.
Speaker 3: Usually there's a firewall between the administration and the IRS.
Speaker 2: They're usually completely independent of each other.
Speaker 3: Trump of course, has jumped over that line and now is using the IRS as a cudgel, telling Harvard you either do what I tell you to do, and that is the DEI programs, for example, the woke approach to education. Now you may disagree with that, I certainly do. Is there enough to cut off all of the grants. I don't know even when for went beyond that and was talking about removing their tax exempt status so donations to the school would no longer be tax deductible. I mean gone really far. An enemy's list. Basically there's an enemy's list there, which is illegal. But does it matter anymore. It's either you cow tell to what I tell you, or I'm going to bring the full power of the federal government on your back. And by the way, any kind of guard rails I am going to ignore no matter what the courts tell me, and we'll see how far it goes.
Speaker 2: And by the way, Harvard is holding firm. Harvard is saying no.
Speaker 4: So what if an Ivy League school tried to bring back segregation with blacks.
Speaker 3: That would be a quart It would be a court order. You would go to court to undo that. I don't think that the Feds can say we're taking away your tax exempt status. And as far as the anti semitism is concerned is concerned, I mean, I can see you know how upset you would be if you took a Harvard course which exists, by the way, on anti Semitism, and his title.
Speaker 2: Knowed you for you.
Speaker 3: Okay, pro how to hate like a hobbit in so in any case, it's just gonna be another fight.
Speaker 2: And it's that.
Speaker 3: It's insane. It just I was talking to Anne this morning. It's it just compl was complete insanity, just crazy. Okay, let's move on.
Speaker 6: Island in the dark. An island wide blackout has hit Puerto Rico. Hospitals on the island are using generators, but the power went out yesterday local time about twelve thirty. The source of the outage, according to the Electric Power Authority in Puerto Rico, was in the southern part of the island, where a transmission line was affected. About one point four million clients on the island don't have power, and then another seventy eight thousand customers also lost water service.
Speaker 1: That poor beautiful I know, they just can't catch break.
Speaker 4: They just beautiful people and culture and food and all of that, and it just gets battered constantly, and we don't do crap for them.
Speaker 3: Well, they don't do crap for themselves. Keep in mind that this is a territory, this is not a state, and a lot of people in Puerto Rico wanted to be a state because all of a sudden, all the benefits hit, and they just never dealt with their infrastructure.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about internally.
Speaker 3: I never did a job with the certainly their electrical infrastructure. And then Hurricane Maria comes and wipes everything out, and it's just they not do a very good job of governance. So when you go to West Side, when you see West Side story next time, and Maria sings, I feel pretty how do you know? You can't even see you it's so dark. And Puerto Rico because of.
Speaker 4: The well you know what, I know at least one place that's darker than Puerto Rico, and that's in your head, sir.
Speaker 2: All right, moving on, all right.
Speaker 4: California first state to sue over old Trump tariffs. But we already knew that gav Governor gave was set what he put originally put like twenty four million dollars aside just.
Speaker 1: To get ready to sue.
Speaker 3: So yeah, that's there's so many lawyers. Those are just the parking fees at the courthouse. There are so many lawsuits they are going to be filed, but hundreds and hundreds of.
Speaker 2: Lawsuits are gonna file.
Speaker 3: First one was filed I think the day that Trump was sworn into office.
Speaker 4: You don't understand, Bill, he was so mad yesterday because the toys, nine of the toys under his kid's Christmas tree are from China and they're going to be so expensive. He's hurting for money and he's just really upset about it. That's how it's affecting him.
Speaker 1: You know, it's a war.
Speaker 2: I know it's a war.
Speaker 3: I mean it's we knew that California is going to be at the forefront of the anti Trump movement in terms of states, and it's there.
Speaker 1: I mean, we're.
Speaker 2: We're suing, you know, and.
Speaker 3: The Trump administration is it's going to be cutting off all kinds of federal aid.
Speaker 2: Whatever they can do.
Speaker 3: Every bit of ammunition that either side has are going to go to war. The only ammunition that the states have the are the courts, because the states don't hand the money over to feds. We do individually because we're the taxpayers, but it's federal money flowing to the states. That's simply the way that government works.
Speaker 4: Take care of the homeless issue and fill the potholes. Then you can fight with whoever you want.
Speaker 3: With dead people, I guess, you know, a soilent green kind of You didn't say fill the potholes.
Speaker 1: With the homeless. I like your creativity.
Speaker 3: You remember Soilent Green, Yeah, one of the better movies where people became food. Yeah, all right, we'll be back, yes and Robinson.
Speaker 2: It was just a terrific movie. I loved it. So I ran it's people, it's people, it became dog food.
Speaker 1: Okay, guys, well all right, I thought it was me.
Speaker 2: I'm now that's Amy.
Speaker 6: You can do it if you really want to, Neil, I don't.
Speaker 1: Is this Menendez?
Speaker 5: It is?
Speaker 3: It is?
Speaker 1: I thought we did that already. My apologies.
Speaker 5: Freedom could be just days away.
Speaker 6: An La County judge is expected to start hearing arguments in courtroom in Van Eys this morning. That could give Eric and Lylemanandez their first chance at freedom in more than thirty five years. They've been serving more than or almost thirty years of a life sentence a thirty.
Speaker 3: I'm doing more on this, diving a little deeper. And we've got Michael Monks at the courthouse who will be reporting for us as soon as anything breaks.
Speaker 6: Of course, the monkey wrench is that Da Hoffman has now said, oh I need a delay.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Well, so he'll request that this morning.
Speaker 4: Right, all right, Tijuana River is ranked number two amongst nations most endangered rivers.
Speaker 1: It seems that our own Mississippi is number one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Mississippi.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't care how the river is endangered as opposed to people who swim or drink from the river are endangered.
Speaker 1: Well, the river has its own ecosystem.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and this is yeah, well, this one is just crap city. I mean, ross sewage is just delightful.
Speaker 4: There is a lot of cacies like in there, and it's not good to have acies.
Speaker 2: Yea, and period of time.
Speaker 3: You know, what the problem was is that Chipotle was using this river water to make their burritas.
Speaker 2: By the way, I'm taking that back. Okay, that is an apology to Chipotle.
Speaker 3: But but Chipotle did get a little bit got in trouble with the e Coli business.
Speaker 1: A few years ago.
Speaker 4: Well, when you have raw fresh ingredients, there's and using river water from the wrong it's not so I guess the American River is. The Environmental Group ranked Tijuana River number two now, but that's that's up from number nine nine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's filthy.
Speaker 3: By the way, the Chapotle advertise with us not now yeah, or they never or they never will I get that.
Speaker 1: Although it sounds delicious right now?
Speaker 2: What the river water from Tijuana? Okay, that's on.
Speaker 4: You so so hardy, you can eat it with a fork.
Speaker 3: Oh nicely said, all right, one more before we take a break.
Speaker 6: Okay, more government agencies could be on the chopping chopping block, according to an internal document that CNN got its hands on. The preliminary memo says that if the White House gets its we there would be a total federal health cut spending cut of tens of billions of dollars. It would also consolidate dozens of health programs and departments into the Administration for a Healthy America. Aha, it's sort of like as handle anything.
Speaker 1: Ah, you got that wrong.
Speaker 2: It's a I've just taken away your jew card.
Speaker 4: Ah ha, you do it much better, Amy Kingenstein, Yeah, Kingenburg, so CEO Mark Zuckerberg. The zuck defended Metas or Metas if you ask, Bill, acquisition of Instagram and What's app on the stand. This week they started the trial over that blockbuster antic trust lawsuit brought on by the FTC. There the interesting thing about this is, at some point you had Zuckerberg once he was, you know, buying Instagram and What's App. I guess knew that this could possibly be a problem in the future. Now he's defending to keep them, but he may have to offload Instagram and What's app if he loses this whole thing.
Speaker 2: We'll see.
Speaker 3: I think if he donates enough money, he may be Okay, Well, we'll find out the fight continues TikTok even that's been put off, that whole business with TikTok and forcing TikTok to be sold off to an American, an American firm.
Speaker 1: So instead he had an interest in that around.
Speaker 2: The whole thing is gonna get fascinating.
Speaker 6: Will e t soon be phoning home? Scientists say they found new but tentative evidence that a far away world orbiting another star may be home to life. It's a planet called K two eighteen B. It's two and a half size two and a half times the size of Earth. It's seven hundred trillion miles away from US. I think it's I think they did that out to one hundred and twenty four light years away. But they found chemicals detected in the planet's atmosphere by the James Web Space telescope, simple organism. So maybe not et might not be ready to phone home, but they may have found life.
Speaker 2: They might and you know, you don't know at this point.
Speaker 3: Maybe underneath the surface there are some k K two eighteen bi ns that are living there.
Speaker 1: We have no idea, but we're going to find life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're gonna we are going to find life on the on these other planets because there's just too many and we're not that unique, we really aren't.
Speaker 2: We are a spec on a.
Speaker 4: Spec on a spac math on what it is for us to exist at all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's infittestible. I mean, it makes all it's ridiculous. But there's so many out there. At some point you're going to find life. And the problem is that most of these are, you know, hundreds of millions of light years away, and so we're looking at something that happened let's say, what one hundred and fifty million years ago, and you know, maybe life has evolved quite a bit.
Speaker 4: Well, if we can find very simple life out there, it'd be great to have someone fill in for Kono.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, all.
Speaker 4: Right, So the California home prices barely rose last month, would be buyers weren't able or willing, apparently to bid up housing costs much further. So, you've got economic economists rather and real estate agents citing various factors obviously a lot contributing to this trend. High mortgage rates, rising inventory, the uncertainty that's going on economically with the on again, off again tariff. So the Zilo folks at Zillo said, the housing market is no longer a seller's market at this point. Who gains in this we don't know yet because it's kind of stalled.
Speaker 3: Yeah, too expensive, too few units being built. Interest rates we still consider high, even though they're not high historically, because everybody's used to three percent money and we're fate that's fading away, you know, at some point that's going to go away.
Speaker 2: Oh we have.
Speaker 1: On this place and or other place. Yeah, insane. I mean we will never be able to leave, right, that's.
Speaker 2: The whole point.
Speaker 4: I hope you like your house, yeah, well we do, but yeah, we would never be able to leave because you're just not going to get that.
Speaker 5: Guildford the dog, Yeah, good dog, good dog.
Speaker 6: Our rancher's dog is being credited with helping protect a toddler who had wandered away from home. Uh the toddler wandered away from his home in Seligman Seligman, Arizona, which is about one hundred miles or one hundred and eighty miles southeast of Las Vegas. A search and rescue team was put together about forty of them started looking for the boy, and then sixteen hours later he was found in the driveway of a rancher's home, almost seven miles away from his home, and he wasn't alone when they were. When he was found, he was with the ranchers dog named Buford, a five year old Great Pyrenees and Atolian mix, so Beauford was protecting the little boy.
Speaker 2: Sweet Yeah, I Like it.
Speaker 4: Chinese suppliers been flooding American social media this week, urging users to out flank President Donald Trump's one hundred and forty five percent tariffs on Beijing by buying direct from their factories. So they're saying things like, why don't you just contact us by from us. We're the ones that supply all those you know, We're the factories that make lulub lemon, were the factories that make all these expensive purses like the Burken bags all of these things.
Speaker 2: And they're all fake.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's said here highly improbable that things fair flyers. So but they're saying, hey, you buy this for five bucks and then the tariffs aren't gonna you know, there's still gonna be less than if you buy the name brand.
Speaker 6: This kind of stinks. A British tennis player, Harriet Dart has apologized after she went over to the chair umpire and asked to have the chair umpire ask her opponent to put on deodorant because she, as she put it, smells really bad. Oh maybe it was sour grapes. Dart lost six zero six' three To french Player Lois.
Speaker 3: Boissant, yeah, yeah well that went, yeah that went up On instagram and it really of course went, viral and once it went, up she didn't know she was on a hot.
Speaker 2: Mic she.
Speaker 3: Apologized that's not HOW i want to carry. MYSELF i take full. Responsibility of, COURSE i have a lot of respect For lois and how she complete competed. Today i'll learn from this and move. Forward, however she Is. French, okay that's A french don't bathe. Joke do you know what they call just taking cologne and just spraying it on you and you don't bathe for a, while or you take a sponge here you. Go you you don't, shower you sponge yourself for weeks at a.
Speaker 2: Time what do they call that.
Speaker 1: A sponge? Bath?
Speaker 2: Yes but who?
Speaker 3: Does who partakes of sponge bats when there is a shower?
Speaker 4: Available depends what racist is, speaking Because i've Heard mexican.
Speaker 3: Shower, no, no, no, no, No french. Hors, okay hey, listen you Know i'm not making that. Up that's a medical. Fact french, horse, Yeah french. Ones, okay we're.
Speaker 4: Done, yeah but they have beautiful wallpaper in, there, tortellos, yeah velvet, yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh, no they're very. Strong, yeah all, right we're. Done, no we are.
Speaker 3: Gone we can keep on going over and over. Again this is KF I A m six.
Speaker 2: Forty you've been listening to The Bill Handle.
Speaker 3: Show catch my Show monday Through friday six am to nine, am and anytime on demand on The iHeartRadio.
Speaker 5: App