Speaker 1: Little jillary. It is an outrage.
Speaker 2: Telling me I did not yourself, so let me now for me.
Speaker 3: Outrage indeed was the torment inflicted on young Victor Hathlett, and clearly a case from my friend Charlock Home.
Speaker 1: My name is doctor.
Speaker 3: Watton, and I would privilege to share the adventures of Charlock Holmes.
Speaker 1: I will tell you about the.
Speaker 3: Case of the engineer's cup. It began with myself asleep, a little suspecting emergency that was to awake me in just a few moments.
Speaker 4: What is it?
Speaker 1: Who will carry carry?
Speaker 3: There's been an addent, sir, someone from the railway accident on the railway.
Speaker 5: You know it's someone from the railway stir from Pattinson.
Speaker 1: They're downstairs in the room there. Will I'll be done in a couple of moments, will you then?
Speaker 6: I won't.
Speaker 7: Morning?
Speaker 4: Doctor?
Speaker 1: What wring? God? Haven't seen you around for some weeks? Now, sir? What it is today?
Speaker 3: It's this gent yere sir, his hand any pretty bad weight looks to me?
Speaker 4: What are your men?
Speaker 1: Sir? A passenger came.
Speaker 3: In by praying from reading wage just now asked where he could find a doctor quick, So I brought.
Speaker 4: Him around here early I know that's way good.
Speaker 1: Well it's a look at him.
Speaker 3: Well, if it's all the same to you, sir, I must be getting along against but my duty.
Speaker 7: Same as you have, sir.
Speaker 1: By right, I'll mentioned he talked to wat, isn't it? By old Jack?
Speaker 3: I hope you'll be all right now?
Speaker 1: Then that's let me say, well, look your.
Speaker 7: Him man, my b comf right off?
Speaker 1: Oh, hold on the nose while I get this handry for where pray that one?
Speaker 7: Ye?
Speaker 1: Oh bye George.
Speaker 7: A bit of a mess, isn't it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Soon I get this cleaned up and that uh and um, well.
Speaker 1: Like this mister blood terribly he did?
Speaker 3: I think it the first maybe when I came round it was still beating, so I wanted the handkerchief type with that twig that stopped hitting you.
Speaker 1: You knew what to do.
Speaker 7: Sense matter of hydraulics.
Speaker 1: It's all hydraulics.
Speaker 3: Hydraulic principle come off and fell from the pumper from an engineer, you can probably guess.
Speaker 7: Happily victor, happily Victoria Street.
Speaker 1: How did heaven looks as there's something heavy and sharp?
Speaker 3: Did it some kind of knife? I mean, it wasn't an accident, doctor, not to mess. It was a murderous attack and a tack.
Speaker 1: Just the mood. Uh this this must be kept up with a thing good. And I think you will tell me a bit more so.
Speaker 3: I was glad to tell someone because I'd have to tell it all to the police soon enough to tell you the truth. Though if it weren't of this wound, I doubt they believe a word of it.
Speaker 7: It's an extraordinary story.
Speaker 4: And I have a lot of shred of truth behind me.
Speaker 1: Okay, hello, before you're going to I think I might be able to help you.
Speaker 4: What more can you do?
Speaker 1: I don't know what you caught my name? What it might mean something to you if I mentioned the name of Shelotte Home. Sure, look who you mean? You dontors to buy a well? Well, I was going to say that from the Sunday your case so far, this is just was a a matter for my friend.
Speaker 3: If if your tail's hot as train as you say, or find a ready listener in Charlotte Home back in public. Oh my dear sir, you're looking at new men already, Alex, begin at.
Speaker 1: The beginning and take out time. Well you must know first.
Speaker 4: But I never alone in lodgings in town.
Speaker 3: I set up in business as a hydraulic engineer a couple of years ago with a magacy after my father died. I had done seven years apprenticeship before that with Venner and Mathison no Greenwich. Well, I suppose most people find starting up on their own a bit sticky. During these two years, mister Holmes, I've had three consultations and one small jobs. I've made exactly twenty seven pounds ten gross. Well, anyway, what I was leading up to was that yesterday, just as I was thinking of packing up for yet another empty day, my talk came in with a card.
Speaker 7: Of course, Hello.
Speaker 1: Gentlemen, to see you, sir, to see me? Will you say to see you?
Speaker 4: Is that his card?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yes, thank you Colonel Lycender.
Speaker 3: Stark shine in at once once, god away, mister Happy.
Speaker 7: Will you said this later? You're just lucky to catch mister Happily a three.
Speaker 3: Months Colonel Lycender's stark ap please to make you, sir, Thank you Robinson.
Speaker 4: Pray have a sir, Thank you, mister Happy.
Speaker 1: You have been recommended to me as a man who is.
Speaker 3: Not only a proficient in his profession, but was also discreet and capable of preserving a secret. I have a professional commission for you in which secrecy is essential, absolute secrecy. I give you my ex blend it, but I'd be grateful if you stage your business now and all my my time is valuable.
Speaker 1: Really well, how.
Speaker 3: Would fifty guineas for a nice.
Speaker 1: Work suit you?
Speaker 7: Fifty?
Speaker 3: Most admirably, I say, a nice squork, but an hour it would be near TheMark. Really, I simply want your opinion about the hydraulic standing machine which has got out of gear. If you show us what is wrong with it, we'll set it right.
Speaker 1: Our set now. How does that suit you at all? Yes?
Speaker 3: Only we shall want you to come tonight. That's why we have pre payer to play rather highly. Where As I come to to a thought in Barksha says, I'm playing from Paddington. That will get you there about eleven fifteen. It's the last train. If you come on that, I will lead you a day for station. Our place is about seven miles from the station.
Speaker 1: How shall I get back and we will give you a shakedown for the night.
Speaker 4: Oh poh, it's not trouble, but it's not My early appointments tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Mister happily forgive me for doubting that you are at all occupied, as you would have me believed. Is to recompense you for whatever inconvenience you might need.
Speaker 1: That we are prepared to pay a.
Speaker 3: Young and unknown man like you the sort of fear that would buy an opinion from the very heads of your profession. I repeat, we preferred you to come on the train.
Speaker 4: I have mentioned very well, I'll come.
Speaker 1: Mister Hasli.
Speaker 3: You are aware that Fuller's earth is a valuable product in this country.
Speaker 4: Certainly I believe it's a found in one or two places, So.
Speaker 1: That is so well.
Speaker 3: Some little time ago I bought this place of mine, not far from rating, and I found the deposit of Fuller's earth.
Speaker 1: In one of my feets.
Speaker 3: Really, not only that, I have since discovered that this quite small deposit happens to be just a link between two very much larger ones.
Speaker 1: Both of these are in the grounds of my neighbors. Well.
Speaker 3: Naturally, when I found this out, I had to take steps to buy their land as quickly as positive. But I had no capital of my life, so I had to take the opinion of a few frames. But to cut a long story shop from my friend's money and what I could raise. We erected a hydraulic place on our site, and we've been working away ever since. This is the press which has now broken down.
Speaker 1: I see.
Speaker 3: Of course, the whole operation is highly secret one, and if it became known that hydraulic engineers of all people were visiting our little house, it would be a good boy to any chance of getting those feats. You understand, yes, of course. And now, mister Happley, I really must be going. I shall see you to night, said, oh, yes, I'll be there. But one question more, Colonel Starry. He isn't full of a dugout like gravel from the past.
Speaker 1: But that's true, then I don't quite see.
Speaker 3: Ah for forgive me, mister Happiley, you are wondering about the hydraulic place.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, we have our own process. You see. We compressed thee full of.
Speaker 3: Earth into bricks so that they can be removed without any danger of peace people who might see them realizing what they are.
Speaker 1: And now we'll buy you. I shall be waiting for you. They for that, he leveled. Fifteen to night, you have an interview of mister Hassling. Hey, it's the.
Speaker 3: Odd indeed, so I said, I can see the point of it all. Fifty imas for a night's work makes a convincing argument. I won't deny it, mister Holmes, if you don't know one about it. No, I kept my promise exactly.
Speaker 1: Pray, go on, dear story.
Speaker 4: Well, I got to.
Speaker 1: Rap it on time.
Speaker 4: I was the only passenger getting down there.
Speaker 3: Colonel Sark was waiting for me outside.
Speaker 1: The wiki gate.
Speaker 3: He didn't say anything, just lost my arm and hustled me over to a carriage standing with his doors open. As soon as we were in, rats on the woods work and the way we went as hard as a horse could go. One horse, yes, only one. Did you observe the color?
Speaker 4: Yes, I saw it by the side bikes when I was stepping.
Speaker 1: Into the carriage.
Speaker 3: It was a chestnut, tired looking off fresh, ah, fresh and glossy.
Speaker 1: Thank you, I'm sorry to have interrupted you.
Speaker 7: Followed well, we were driving for.
Speaker 4: At least an hour. The raid we were going and the time we took, I'd say it was more night twelve miles.
Speaker 3: From the suddenly told me I couldn't say out of the windows, and the Colonel wasn't inclined to talk.
Speaker 1: Did you notice about the roads, but like their purpose.
Speaker 7: And pretty rough.
Speaker 4: We Johns didn't merch most of the way.
Speaker 3: Let's see agar, for we suddenly came off the roads onto a smooth driveway. We soon pulled up straight away. Colonel Stark had the door open and hustled me into the house where we'd stopped. It was done so quickly I hadn't even time to see what the place looked like.
Speaker 1: It was pitch dark inside.
Speaker 3: While the Colonel was fumbling about the matches, a door opened at the end of the hall, and a woman came through with a lamp in her hand. She spoke to the colonel in German.
Speaker 4: Can you follow Germans?
Speaker 7: Mister happening?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 3: I can read it slightly, But something spoken is we often me too fast of conflict. Because it was German, without a doubt, all I could see was that whatever the colonel told her a.
Speaker 1: Bit of a shock.
Speaker 7: She got quite a start.
Speaker 3: Then he took the lamp from her and pushed her off in the way she'd come. He motioned me through a door leading off the hall. Well, every kindness to wait in this room for a few minutes. I shall not keep you waiting long. Ah, that's quite a right t a start.
Speaker 5: Of no, do not speak, do not see.
Speaker 6: There is no good for you to do.
Speaker 7: Good I have to give.
Speaker 6: It is not wealth your right away.
Speaker 3: You can bust over.
Speaker 4: The door if you are thick.
Speaker 7: No one need enough of head.
Speaker 1: Get away from here before it is too late. Let's go away, Go away.
Speaker 3: Mister Hating. Here is my secretary and manager, mister Ferguson.
Speaker 1: How do you do well? Now?
Speaker 3: We have better proceeds to business, mister Turget, and I will take you odd to see the machine, or you can leave your hat here.
Speaker 1: We do not have to go out of the house.
Speaker 4: You mean you take follows in the house. No, no, no, no no.
Speaker 3: This is only where they compress it. But you will see a peaceable.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 3: Mister Rapley. We are now actually inside the hydraulic sas the seeing of this small chamber is really the end of the descending system. It comes down slowly with a fall so many times upon this metal floor.
Speaker 1: The walls here are good. Oh yes, I see what's the trial?
Speaker 3: There are small laughable columns of water outside which received the face and hands hit and market size in a way which is support familiar to you.
Speaker 1: Yes, it has been subdisted that.
Speaker 3: Perhaps there is a defense somewhere. The machine goes bre up, but there is some business in the working of it, and it seems to have lot some of its.
Speaker 7: Thoughts from what there is to seeing here. I'm sure you're right in.
Speaker 3: Believing the detective somewhere on the outside, and perhaps.
Speaker 7: If I of course thank you.
Speaker 1: Oh that's better. There's not room murder.
Speaker 3: No, good to the enormous press you had here all of a sudden, mister berguson que Her, Yes, I see world is controlling here now I just it he is you good? Ah, yes, yes, it's quite obviously. I'll hold it already in differently. See yes, get here this this rubber around the end of this.
Speaker 7: Driving right here, it's quite perished.
Speaker 4: It's not quite full in your pocket as it moves along, and the water getting by.
Speaker 7: Has already trouble this channel story.
Speaker 3: We are very grateful for you, mister happening is very grateful. Indeed, a pur absolutely very quickly. I think I would take one more glance inside, just to make absolutely sure, if.
Speaker 1: You think it is necessary, I ever want to see inthinging more.
Speaker 2: Leading through this way the magic of them all be or that did I may head.
Speaker 1: Is thank you, no, no, nothing, Then your diagnosis is complete.
Speaker 7: Okaydel star.
Speaker 4: If you want my final.
Speaker 7: Opinion about the condition of your prince, is it the beasure?
Speaker 1: If you told me what it's really used.
Speaker 7: For, that could make a difference.
Speaker 3: I have told you, making full of them, Colonel, excuse me, I'm not a fool.
Speaker 7: No, not in this world would use a machine this size for such as.
Speaker 1: Many a process.
Speaker 7: And this mechanic still punted on the floor.
Speaker 1: That's what fun as if I don't think that, I too inquisity very well, you wish to know more about the working of the machine? You shall You can't stay here and you're basically.
Speaker 7: Getting back.
Speaker 1: You hear me.
Speaker 2: Talk I about word back.
Speaker 1: This is an outrage, h.
Speaker 2: Go I about yoursel, your rods, I say, let me up.
Speaker 5: No, you know you are for your life?
Speaker 4: Which way?
Speaker 1: I think it is your only chance?
Speaker 7: Pretty welcome you first want?
Speaker 4: No, he will not have me.
Speaker 5: He's he's almost here, right.
Speaker 2: He's fastly let him go.
Speaker 5: I'll tame, do not let you.
Speaker 1: You will not again find it's nice get back, I say this soul to him. Why grip loosened?
Speaker 3: I felt myself falling.
Speaker 7: No, no, you're nothing more.
Speaker 1: I take it easier, Jo, that's not the same being.
Speaker 3: And only you're gone then, I know, Watson, but it's imperitive to we have mister Heppeler's.
Speaker 1: Tory compete in every detail. There's no time to waste.
Speaker 7: Can you stay in heaven?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 7: Yes, yes, much better now if you fell.
Speaker 3: I'm conscious into their own garden, mister Heavener. How is it that they didn't secure you immediately?
Speaker 7: I shall never know, mister Horns, But.
Speaker 1: The absolute villain was softened by the women's and creatures.
Speaker 7: I hardly think that likely.
Speaker 4: I never saw a more inexorable face in my life.
Speaker 3: Well then, well, the funny thing is that when I did come round and remember what had happened, I found myself lying in a hedgerow next to a road.
Speaker 7: My toes were sodden with dew, and my coat.
Speaker 3: Sleeved with drenched with blood. I did my best for my hands with my handkerchief and a twig, just as we did. Well, after a bit, I got.
Speaker 7: Up onto the road, and do you know I found I was only a stone.
Speaker 4: Throw away from Aford Station, where the Colonel had met me the night before.
Speaker 3: You could have made your way there in the semi conscious state, you wouldn't necessarily remember doing so I suppose it's possible.
Speaker 7: Anyway, I got to the station, there was a train almost due. I said the best thing was to get in it and get back to town.
Speaker 3: All the way to padding till I asked the God if you could get me a do a doctor as soon as we arrived or should it be new you doctor Watson?
Speaker 1: Well, what you say? Just hand me that book for the blue back which one next show? That's it?
Speaker 7: Oh, then just about a year ago.
Speaker 4: I think he's all this just something which I think, Ah, yes, here we are.
Speaker 1: Oh, I should explain this to Heathlet.
Speaker 3: It's my practice profile miscellaneous items which type is.
Speaker 1: Curious in some way, or I see this is to this. Then it is all in the papers about a year ago.
Speaker 3: Not on the ninth inst Mister Jeremiah Hailing, aged twenty six, a hydraulic engineer good Look, left his lodgings at ten o'clock.
Speaker 1: At night and has not been heard of since.
Speaker 3: Course me, mister Heathlet, I fancy that represents the last time that the colonel needed to have his machine overhold good Good heavens it's quite hear the Colonel Staff, if that's his name, is a cool and desperate man who is definately this turn that nothing should interfere.
Speaker 4: With his little game.
Speaker 1: So what his game is?
Speaker 7: I think I can guess, But we must waste no time.
Speaker 3: If you feel up to it and Watson will allow you, I think you should come along to Scoff and Guards with us. Lad you could come away in such short notice Bread Street. The yard doesn't always move so swiftly. Oh come now, mister Holmes. You can't count many ears of your life's strength waiting for me.
Speaker 1: Kenny, Doctor Watson, take no, I buy.
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 1: Not part of he now?
Speaker 4: No, I think we better have a look at that net third and day.
Speaker 3: See here's apan as I said, I've drawn this circle a derageous of twelve miles. You've reckoned about twelve miles regiments every so we were in the carriage for an hour.
Speaker 4: The roads were bad, but we moved along pretty well.
Speaker 3: Sam Or to all ially right then, the place where to look form us is somewhere along this twelve mind line. The only point is which direction did you go after leaving the station?
Speaker 6: I think I could name my things, but oh you could missern Well, now I always did say you had six fence or something, but I wager it can't.
Speaker 7: Help her this time. What information have we got to help us?
Speaker 3: Nothing but an hour's past carriage drive in the dark. It could have been in any direction at all. Not for my part, I'd say we should look to the south. Why then, because it is more deserted that way.
Speaker 4: And what about you heavily, Well, I hardly know west.
Speaker 1: Perhaps several quiet little damages that way.
Speaker 4: What well it could be north.
Speaker 3: I've got through no hills and harpend said he didn't let his carriage going up in him.
Speaker 1: Ah, a nice little piece of deduction.
Speaker 3: Well that leaves only one point of the club that's left. And then we've got it boxed between us. And what do you say to mister Holmes. I'm afraid I can't oblige your inspector north, south, east, west, None of them will do.
Speaker 1: But they can't all be wrong. No, yeah, here the foss gentlemen. But that's that say that it's so the center of the circle. As I say, I don't get you at all, mister Holmes.
Speaker 3: Ten miles, five outs and five packs, twelve six out, six packs. It's quite someome that as you're told on me what you were present all the time.
Speaker 1: Mister Hathley was telling his remarkable thory here.
Speaker 4: Do you not remember my question about the appearance.
Speaker 1: Of the carriage horse? Oh? Yes, yes, you're asked me in color. Yeah, and he told me Chestnut that there was something else.
Speaker 3: Let me think I remember you asked whether I thought the horse tired looking or fresh?
Speaker 4: And you reply fresh and glossy.
Speaker 3: You're shut of that now, absolutely certain, there you are, Bradstreet. Colonel Stark drove to the station to meet mister Heaven. How far had he come ten or twelve miles over country road and arrived with his animal fresh and glossy? Not he If he drove half a mile, I'd be surprised, But he was taking no chances of mister happily remembering their route, he found it well worthwhile, taking him an hour's drive out into the country.
Speaker 1: And back to throw him well off the set.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 3: And this, if I'm not mistaken, is our destination. No, gentlemen, I don't think we shall have to stray far from Aford to find our quality. Now, that is, unless they've anticipated our.
Speaker 1: Coney against me. Jas who are.
Speaker 4: A for the far bottom.
Speaker 1: You might think so, sir, I've been going all day. They have all of the engines. Come right out from reading.
Speaker 3: I hear what is it?
Speaker 1: Then? A big house across the way. Dr Breech's place started burning in the night, asked me. They won't favor stick of it, great old place like tinder.
Speaker 3: Dr Beecher a German, Jeapan Bay not either English as they come.
Speaker 1: It's how funny you should mention it. Though. There's a foreign en staying with him.
Speaker 3: A patient, I understand, and a young lady who very followishes this.
Speaker 1: Dr b j Is.
Speaker 3: He's small and fat, red face, that's right there. You know him when ferguson a big gordon. It doesn't ever And what's happened to these people?
Speaker 1: Or they must have got away?
Speaker 3: No sign of them inside according to the fireman. But I heard that he did find one curious thing on it, a window sill of the stecond floor. I was there, a newly sibby fum.
Speaker 4: What the hell they came to be there?
Speaker 1: Yes, I wonder, Oh well, thank you father, here you are, Oh thank you, sir.
Speaker 4: I come along, gentlemen, we might as well fill in time till the next train.
Speaker 7: Day one, doesn't he a good fie every day?
Speaker 1: We need all over, mister Holmes, so.
Speaker 3: Far as you are concerned, happily, yes, don't you agreeinfected firm? What about stop the other fellow and the girl? Well, of course we can always keep our eyes open for them in the cry. But I very much fear there are good hundred miles off by now.
Speaker 4: But the far mister Holmes, how did it start?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 3: Ever, guess I'd be inclined to say that when the press came down to the floor.
Speaker 4: Of that room where you nearly lost your life, it smeassed the length the curl and left with you, and death.
Speaker 1: Started a bar gay the walls. We wouldn't use it, that's right. And you think they shore often is on as if they did.
Speaker 3: His sense, or at least they had their humanity to tell you out of life beside the road the goal must.
Speaker 7: Have trustagious things.
Speaker 3: Of course, there could be no doubt as to the nature of this gang, or none at all.
Speaker 1: They are coiners on a large scale. They needed the machine to form.
Speaker 3: The amalcom they've been using in cases of sim They so ties in with some requases we've read on our hands, but longer than I like to admit. It's pity about your thuncer. But if it hadn't been for your going to Dr Watson and one thing and another.
Speaker 4: Yes, I see your points in center, there's not much consolation to me. I lost my thumb, I lost the fifty guinea fee. What have I gained?
Speaker 3: Experience? My dear sir, there's nothing so valuable as the experience.
Speaker 1: They say.
Speaker 3: Find the right formula of words for this piece of our tailor of and you'll be.
Speaker 1: Able to dine out for the rest of your day. Hey what?
Speaker 3: The Case of the Engineer's Buble was one of the stories of Sherlock Holmes.
Speaker 1: Who inspired pills Arthur Kernan Doyle. My real name is Norman Sheddy.
Speaker 3: My friend Carton Hobbes played Sherlock.
Speaker 1: Holmes, and I was Doctor Watts.
Speaker 3: Michael Hardwick wrote our script for this BBC production from London. I hope I may look forward to the pleasure of your company again soon. For more of the adventures of Sherlock Holmes,