Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County. It's time for your morning wake up call. Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: Good morning. It's five o'clock on this Monday, November eleventh, Veterans Day. Happy Veterans Day. Special thank you to my brother Rob, my baby brother, my uncles Dave and Roger, my best friend's husbands Monty and Travis, all proudly served our country. If you know a veteran, be sure to thank them today. And if you want to do something more than say thank you, there are so many places you can go today to honor the veterans. We're going to be telling you about some of them coming up at the bottom of the hour. Lots of ways to say thank you for the brave men and women who serve our country. Here's what's I head on this Monday morning wake up call. The winds have died down. Firefighters are gaining ground against the wildfire in Ventura County that has destroyed more than two hundred destroyed or damaged more than two hundred homes in Camarillo moor Park and Somas. The fire hasn't grown over the weekend. Firefighters now have the more than twenty thousand acre fire thirty one percent surrounded. The California Air Resources Board has approved rule changes that could spike gas prices in the state by up to fifty cents a gallon. CARB says these changes are key to a climate program aimed at reducing planet warming emissions from transportation fuels. Three ballot processing centers in California have received bomb threats. Election workers were evacuated from a ballot center in Orange County on Tuesday. Another bomb threat prompted evacuations and a bomb squad being called out to a center in Riverside County. A third bomb threat was emailed Saturday at the Norwalk headquarters in LA. The FBI is investigating similar threats across the country. There are several houses house races that still haven't been decided a week out of the election. We're going to check in with ABC Stephen Portnoy at five point fifty to find out what's still outstanding and what's at stake, and a couple of those races are right here in California. We also have this is a treat gets your dial in fingers ready, We've got tickets to see the Beach Boys at the Cerrito Center for the Performing Arts November twenty first. It's coming up this hour during wake Up Call, Beach Boys. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The brush fire that's burned more than twenty thousand acres and more destroyed or damaged over two hundred homes in Ventura County is now thirty one percent surrounded. Evacuation orders in some areas have been downgraded to evacuation warnings, and a shelter set up in came Rio has been shut down. During a town hall meeting yesterday, Deputy fire Chief Chad Cook says firefighters did one hundred and thirty six active rescues when the fire started last week.
Speaker 3: Those are not easy. I will tell you. I wish I could play video for you. A lot of you lived through it. Well, you're talking zero visibility, you're talking, you're hampered by wind, you're talking hampered by embers.
Speaker 1: Fire officials say the fire didn't grow much over the weekend, but it's still creeping and smoldering in steep rugged terrain with dry vegetation. A landscaper has been arrested for looting in an area under an evacuation order inventor A County. The guy allegedly stole an electric bicycle from a man whose property was damaged. The man told sheriff's deputies he parked the bike in his driveway Friday, walked around his front yard, then noticed his bike was gone. He also saw the neighbor's landscaping crew in the area. Sheriffs, She'll say one of them admitted to taking the bicycle. A race for Congress out of Santa Clarita in the Antelope Valley has flipped. Democrat George Whitesides now leads the Congressman Mike Garcia by more than forty seven hundred votes. Whitesides was trailing by almost a thousand votes on Friday, but then Saturday's count of unprocessed ballots put him ahead by more than two thousand, and his lead has kept growing. Both candidates have posted on social media that every vote needs to be counted. In A congressional race out of Orange County, State Senator Dave min has a slight lead over former assembly Member Scott Baugh, who's a Republican man leads by just under three thousand votes. Ball was head early on Wednesday and maintained his small edge through Thursday night. The registrar will release the next tally of votes at five o'clock this afternoon. A judge in Manhattan is set to decide whether to uphold the verdict in the hush money case against President elect Trump or dismiss it on presidential immunity grounds. Judge Jan Marshawn has said he will rule tomorrow on Trump's request to toss the conviction because of a Supreme Court ruling that presidents have broad protection from prosecution. Okay, let's say good morning now to ABC's Karen Travers. Karen, a week after the election, Trump's getting busy, huh.
Speaker 4: You know, he has been busy filling out senior staff positions, starting with his chief of staff last week.
Speaker 5: Susie Wilds.
Speaker 4: This is kind of expected that his campaign manager would be moving with him into the White House.
Speaker 5: You know, she's credited as somebody who kind of.
Speaker 4: Kept the trains running on time inside the campaign and is somebody who's very loyal to Donald Trump, and that was a big factor for him, and she was very critical for his success in this White House bid. Once you pick the chief of staff position, things sort of flow from there. That's the one you have to start with before you start doing any of the other one in the White House or in the cabinet. But he has interestingly announced over the weekend on social media who is not joining him in the White House or in his cabinet, saying that former UN Ambassador Nikki Haley and former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo will not be a part of the second Trump administration.
Speaker 1: Did he say anything, Karen, like, did he make nasty remarks or did he just say they're not.
Speaker 5: Going to be there, just that they're not going to be there.
Speaker 4: You know, they had both endorsed him in his race for the White House, but had been critical of him, and of course Haley ran against him in the Republican primary.
Speaker 5: And when you look back, you know.
Speaker 4: There were allies of Trump, supporters of Trump who felt like she stayed in the race too long and was critical of him during that race. And the longer she stayed in the more you had the negative headlines about Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: Now, which is funny because didn't when did she drop out? I mean it was. It was quite a while ago, like it was so early in the season.
Speaker 4: Spring yees, of course, But he got a lot of votes in battleground states, you know, just off the top of my head, she got one hundred and sixty thousand votes in Pennsylvania two months after she dropped out. So I think that her presence still loomed large even after she got out of the race, and that's still stung for the Trump team, and they don't forget things easily. So she is not going to be a part of this. It's not even clear she wanted to be a part of this, but he announced over the weekend that she and Pompeo will not be joining him in the second term.
Speaker 1: But Pompeo did say he was interested in it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know off the top of my head, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, i'd seen where he'd said, Yeah, I'd be totally in for it. But okay, so do we know who else he's looking at at this point?
Speaker 5: Well, we have confirmed.
Speaker 4: This morning that he has selected Congresswoman elist Stephonic to be his nominee to be the US ambassador to the UN.
Speaker 5: He said he is honored to nominate her and called her.
Speaker 4: An incredibly strong, tough and smart America first fighter.
Speaker 5: This was not unexpected.
Speaker 4: That's a position, of course that requires conformation, but that was a big announcement this morning.
Speaker 1: Okay, and with Stephanics she's in the house right, yes, and with the House in the balance because we don't know the outcome of you know, all of the races yet, are they willing to give her up?
Speaker 5: Yeah, she's from a pretty safe district.
Speaker 4: I don't think this would be anything that would swing towards the Democrats, but you know, I think this is of course something they consider in the sense of senators and how that would work in different states, and whether governors can appoint people they have calculation in the Senate, and in terms of filling positions with cabinet you know, if you're going to look to fill cabinet positions by turning to senators, and how the succession rules are in each individual state.
Speaker 1: Okay, And do we know, Karen, like you said that once the chief of staff is announced, the other ones just sort of start falling into place. Is there a timeline or can he just kind of do it as he wants to do it?
Speaker 4: You know, he can do it as he wants to do it, take it time, do it quickly. I mean, you don't even have to have everything filled by January twentieth, obviously, you know you have to start moving on things.
Speaker 5: I think with what your.
Speaker 4: White House team ready to go to hit the ground running, but cabinet positions, you know that's going to take some time still, Okay.
Speaker 1: And then going back to the chief of staff pick Susie Wiles, do you are you familiar with her? Because I think I was talking to Stephen last week and I was saying I had never heard of her until election night when he thanked her.
Speaker 4: And I think that's kind of a big part of her appeal right now. And you know the fact that she is low key, the fact that she had stayed out of the spotlight compared to previous campaign managers, previous senior officials in the White House or on his campaigns, who were very much in the spotlight. That's not what she's known for. She's known for running a tight ship. She's known for deferring the media attention. It's just not her style. But that's been a big part of then her success in this campaign and in being able to outlast others. You know, he went through a lot of campaign managers the first time around, he did not this time around.
Speaker 1: Okay, And a quick side question, since you're the ABC White House correspondent, will we be talking to you going forward in the new Trump administration?
Speaker 5: That seems to be the plan of Okay.
Speaker 1: All right, Karen Travis, Thank you so much. It's you know, when we talked to Karen, I love this because there's so many goings on in the government and I love to like find out kind of the inner workings. So we love the insight that we get. Thank you so much, Karen. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The LA Unified School District is investigating racist text messages sent to some of its black students, including this one. I was immediately disturbed.
Speaker 5: It made me feel scared afraid.
Speaker 1: This woman's sixteen year old daughter received one of the texts last week.
Speaker 4: You've been identified as a slave and you're going to be You're going to need to report on this date.
Speaker 1: At this time, they knew her name, and.
Speaker 4: The demographic was specifically targeting to black kids.
Speaker 1: The texts are similar to those that have been sent to people in more than a dozen states. The texts mentioned slavery, forced labor, and picking cotton. We're going to be finding out more about this with ABC's Jim Ryan. That's coming up at five point twenty. An armed man wearing a ski mask has stolen a corvette from a driver at a gas station in Palmdale. Ellie Kenny Sheriff's officials say the carjacking happened shortly after midnight yesterday at the Mobile station on East Palmdale. One person has been killed and sixteen others were heard in a shooting during homecoming weekend at Tuskegee University in Alabama. The least say A man was arrested leaving the scene of the shooting early yesterday. They say he had a handgun with a machine gun conversion device. Tuskegee has canceled classes for today. A group of researchers says in the US says China has built a land based prototype nuclear reactor to power future aircraft carriers. They say they came to the conclusion after pouring over satellite images and public documents from a span of several recent years. Climate experts are talking money as the United Nations Climate negotiations start in Azerbaijan. They say curbing and coping with global warming is going to cost one trillion dollars or more, but only about one hundred billion in financial aid is now going to poor nations. Santa has been spotted in a Riverside City fire truck.
Speaker 6: The Riverside Fire Department has started its version of the Spark of Love Toy Drive. From today through December thirteenth, firehouses in the city will accept new unwrapped toys, sports equipment, blankets, and gift cards for underserved kids in the city. The Spark of Love Toy Drive has collected more than nine million toys at fire stations across southern California over the last twenty five years. Donations can also be made directly to the Riverside City Firefighters Foundation. The campaign asks donors not to leave toys outside the fire station when firefighters are out on calls. Corbin Carson KFI News.
Speaker 1: Okay, as I mentioned, it is Veteran's Day. Sure to thank a veteran when you see them today. There are several celebrations. If you want to go and join a community, be part of a group and we'll be telling you about a few of those here are just a couple of them. A Veterans Day celebration is being held in Lach crescent It's at eight o'clock this morning, so still time to get there. It's at American Legion Post two point eighty eight and the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post sixteen fourteen will host the event. It's for all veterans in active duty military. It includes a presentation of colors by the Crescenta Valley High School, Air Force Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps, and an Armed Forces medley performed by the American Legion Color Guard. It's at two Strike Park on Rosemont Avenue in Lach Crescente and that one gets underway at eight o'clock. And then in Alhambra they're doing a the event at It's also a Continental breakfast and music that is at ten followed by a ceremony at eleven am at Alhambra Park Veterans Memorial. And in Pasadena at the Pasadena City Hall, they're doing a Veterans Day event that includes Colonel Juan Mora, Chief of Staff, fortieth Interstry Division in Infantry Division, and a Yellow ceremony, a yellow ribbon ceremony to honor the two D Battalion, twenty three D Marine Corps Regiment and a flyover by the Condor Squadron. That's happening starting at ten am. That's the Pasadena Salutes our veterans. Lots of celebrations, lots more will be telling you about in case you want to attend one this morning. Arizona is officially in the win column for President elect Trump. NBC News has projected Trump will win the swing state. Arizona was the last state to finish counting presidential ballots, and the wind gives the less swing state anyway, and the wind gives Trump eleven more electoral votes. With the win in Arizona, Trump has swept all of the swing states in the twenty twenty four election. Cuba has been rocked by a pair of powerful earthquakes. The US Geological Services A five point nine quake hit at seven point fifty yesterday morning, followed an hour later by a six point eight quake. Several more smaller quakes have also rattled the island nation. The quakes were centered about two hundred and fifty miles away from Guantanamo Bay. No injuries were reported at the US Naval base Cuba has been hit by two hurricanes in the last month. Man, they just can't catch a break. Venom The Last Dance has added another sixteen million dollars to its box office tally and remains number one at theaters for the third week. The horror film Heretic and the Best Christmas Pageant Ever opened in second and third places. Talk about opposites. Right at six oh five, it's handled on the news. President Biden and President elect Trump have a sit down planned at the White House. That is now the Bidens and will soon be Trump again. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Jim Ryan. So Jim, out of the blue. Someone's been sending some just really awful text people in more than a dozen states, including here in California.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, yeah, I just saw a story on KBC Channel seven about that, about family receiving some of these kids. That's really one troubling aspect of this that, yes, the text messages telling people to report to a plantation to pick cotton art being received just by adults or seniors, but by kids, preteens and teenagers who are going to their parents, their grandparents saying what is this all about? And yeah, So that's really troubling. The other really troubling aspect is that many of these messages are being sent to recipients by name, so you know, it's dear John Smith, greetings, etc. And then goes on with this bizarre message there. Some of the messages also might contain a threat, and that's what the FBI is looking into, and certainly FBI dot gov is one place where you can report if you receive one of these messages. Don't know if any more have been received, but in fourteen states, including California, people have received these.
Speaker 1: How many people don't know how many.
Speaker 7: No indication of how many people, but in fourteen states, we know that people of color have received these messages.
Speaker 1: Amy, okay, And what are they saying? Specifically?
Speaker 7: The threat goes like there or the message says greetings so and so by name in many cases greeting you know, greetings John Smith. You're being ordered to report to a plantation or even a specific plantation to pick cotton. A van will pick you up. There's something to that effect. You are in plantation group W or plantation group, and that plantation group thing seems to change from recipient to recipient. So and again, some of the messages were told can play or contain a threat that says if you do not do this, you will be killed. So you know, it's really serious stuff. It's not just a First Amendment thing. This isn't just somebody saying expressing some kind of idea. This is people making actual threats.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I know that they're going to be looking into The FBI's looking into it. LAUSD here is looking into it. I think LAPD be involved. I mean, obviously they want to find who this is. Are there any indications of hints whether it might be from within the US or since we know that Russia and Iran have been trying to mess with our election, that maybe it's coming from outside.
Speaker 7: It may be coming from outside. The Attorney General in Louisiana and several attorneys general have demanded action about this and launched their own investigations within the states where these messages have been sent and received, and she says the Attorney General in Louisiana says that some of the messages were sent using an email service that routes through Poland, But does that mean the message is originated there? Not necessarily. There's also a company in this in the United States called text Now, which is a mobile provider that allows people to create phone numbers, and it has told ABC that some of its users might have created some of these messages, and those accounts now have been shut down and the information turned over to the FBI. So, you know, we may be getting to the bottom of this. The FBI and the FCC is working on this. You can see the kind of it spider web that has been created the IP addresses, phone numbers and other information that might lead to the people responsible amy.
Speaker 1: What do you think the likelihood is that they actually catch somebody?
Speaker 7: Boy, you know, it's hard enough for them to catch people who are perpetrating crimes, financial crimes, you know, something like this could be even more difficult. But and it is troubling. I mean, you've got kids receiving messages directed at them by name, making these really awful, awful statements, and you know, this is really nasty stuff.
Speaker 1: I would be interesting not to do it, of course, but like interested to see how they kind of figure that out. Because you're saying that they're getting personalized messages. So is it just computer algorithm algorithms that are spitting it out? I mean, because so many people have been afed affected.
Speaker 7: Sure, yeah, and that may be it could be information received on the dark web. You know, they're finding names out there. It's easy enough if you do some social engineering to look at people's Facebook pages. But this is being done so quickly and in such apparently large numbers that this isn't a person individually sitting down and doing this without some AI help potentially or using algorithms, as you say, and to put these things together and then to send them out. Why, who knows. I mean, if it's a foreign actor. We've heard about interference or attempts to interfere in the election, so this may be an extension of that to try to create division or deepen divisions, political divisions, racial divisions.
Speaker 1: Like we don't already have enough, right people are. I think that's a nice place to put a pin in it right now. Jim Ryan, thank you so much for the information. I hope this stops quickly.
Speaker 7: Thanks heby.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The California Air Resources Board has voted to make significant updates to the state's low carbon fuel standard. That's expected to cause higher gas prices. The changes, approved late on Friday, will increase the state's emission reduction targets and fund charging stations for zero emission vehicles, which, of course you know we need more of. They will also phase out incentives for capturing methane emissions from dairy farms to turn into fuel. Air regulators said last year the changes could raise gas prices by forty seven cents a gallon by next year. Others say prices will go up more than sixty cents per gallon. Dozens of people in Amsterdam have been detained for taking part in an a legal demonstration following violent clashes targeting fans of an Israeli soccer club. Amsterdam's mayor banned all demonstrations over the weekend because of teens on scooters seen attacking Israeli fans Thursday and Friday. A wildfire burning on the border of New York and New Jersey has killed a park's employee. ABC's Andrew Dimbert says a tree fell on the eighteen year old volunteer forest ranger Saturday.
Speaker 8: While fighting a fire north of New York City.
Speaker 9: Extreme drought conditions fueling nearly six hundred fires in recent weeks across New Jersey and New York.
Speaker 1: The fire that killed the park's employee has burned more than twenty five hundred acres and is threatening buildings, including an historic site dating back to the Revolutionary War. An entertainment auction has had buyers boldly bidding where no buyer has bid before.
Speaker 8: The Star Trek themed bid Long and prosper Live auction was held at the Infinity Festival in Hollywood over the weekend and included more than two hundred props from Star Trek's original series as well as spinoff films. Some of that Star Trek's space swag included Captain Kirk's long lost phaser from the sixties TV series that sold for over nine hundred thousand dollars. Late actor Leonard Nimoy's spock robe and headband from Star Trek four The Voyage Home, sold for over forty five thousand dollars. The auction brought in about three point six million dollars. That's a lot of latinum. Andrew Caravella k if I News.
Speaker 1: That's a lot of what latinum. What's latinum. I'm a Star Trek fan. I've never heard of latinum. Okay, anyway, nine hundred thousand dollars for his phaser, wouldn't that be fun to have?
Speaker 2: I love Amy?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: Amy? What's latinum's latinum? Gold press latinum? It's what they always would They used to like gamble with when they would always do all the different things. No old press latinum. It was the little bars that they would use, like the FARRANGI would use and everything.
Speaker 1: The FARRANGI who are the f are you're talking about the newer star Trek. I'm I'm captain, I know, but FRANGI were there too. I'm gonna have to google this.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, Amy's on it.
Speaker 1: You got war girl of course is right.
Speaker 8: It's a precious liquid metal that comes in gold ingots ooh currency.
Speaker 2: In the original slide with yeah, yeah, yeah, it is from Captain Kirk's era.
Speaker 1: Okay, I will believe both of you. I don't doubt that I've forgotten it. But what's it called latinum latinum?
Speaker 2: It's gold pressed latinum. It's weird because like from from our world, gold is like the standard from their time, it's latinum is And it's funny because they used gold to press. From our era, they used gold to press what's important from their era, which is latinum. We use what is precious from our time period to press what's prescious from theirs.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 1: I still have never heard of it. Okay, the California Air Resources Boards it proved a new clean air standard. It's expected to raise gas prices by about fifty cents a gallon. In a twelve to two vote to boardvoed in favor of clean air standards to cut emissions by thirty percent by twenty thirty. Senate Minority Leader Brian Jones says this is a shameless effort to hike gas prices to force Californians into electric vehicles. A church in South LA has been severely damaged when a car crashed into several parked cars, flipped and crashed into the side of the First ame Zion Church. The car burst into flames yesterday around three am. The church's pastor says the damage is pretty extensive. The church was still able to hold Sunday morning services. Democrat George Whiteside has taken the lead over Mike Garcia for the twenty seventh district seat in northern La County. Whiteside is now leading by fewer than one thousand votes. In Orange County, Republican incumbent Michelle Steele has widened her lead over Democrat Derek Trand almost seven thousand votes. Also, an OC Democrat Dave men Now has a lead of almost three thousand votes over Republican Scott Bob. We're going to be talking more about this and what's at stake with ABC SE Stephen Portnoy. That's coming up at five point fifty at six oh five, it's handle on the news a really good chance that la is about to become a sanctuary city following President Elect Trump's win in the twenty twenty four presidential election. So with all the late night comedians' reactions to the election been really interesting. I think Stephen Colbert visibly mad doing promos about how upset he is. Jimmy Kimmel was crying on TV about the election. So I was really curious to see what Saturday Night Live was going to do the week after the election. They've had such great opening skits leading up to the election, with Maya Rudolph playing Vice President Harris and Danik Carvey doing one of the funniest impressions I've seen. It was of President Biden. So Saturday's opening skit opened with a very somber tone, and I was like, oh, no, it's going to be a protest kind of open and here we go. So here's how it started. A clouza plaza plus.
Speaker 10: On Tuesday, Americans went to the polls and elected Donald Trump to be the next president of the United States.
Speaker 11: To many people, including many people watching this show right now, the results were shocking and even horrifying.
Speaker 12: Donald Trump, who tried to forcibly overturn the results of the last election, was returned to office by an overwhelming majority.
Speaker 13: This is the same Donald Trump who openly called for vengeance against his political enemies.
Speaker 10: Now, thanks to the Supreme Court, there are no guardrails.
Speaker 11: Nothing to protect the people who are brave enough to speak out against him.
Speaker 13: And that is why we at SNL would like to say to Donald Trump, we have been with you all along.
Speaker 10: We have never wavered in our support of you, even when others doubted you.
Speaker 14: With every single person on this stage believed in you.
Speaker 15: Every single person on this stage voted for.
Speaker 11: You because we see ourselves in you. We look at you and think that's me.
Speaker 5: That's the man I want my future children to look.
Speaker 16: Up to and mister Trump, your honor. We know that you say things that are controversial sometimes, but really you're just speaking the truth. And I hate how the lamestream media, Michael Cha tries to spin it to make you look coolish.
Speaker 13: So if you're keeping some sort of list of your enemies, then we should not be on that list.
Speaker 3: And it's c h E Cha.
Speaker 10: And if we find out someone here voted for Kamala, we will wrap them out so fast like our three disgusting new cast members, so real quick, left right, fast boat Ashley Padilla and Emil Joachim.
Speaker 13: You can find their home home addressed is online.
Speaker 15: Hail Trump, but the rest of us Hell Trump voted for you at least once.
Speaker 12: I voted for you fifty times in Pennsylvania, Okay.
Speaker 1: So that's how it started out. And then then they had the Donald Trump character and I can't remember the actor's name, who doesn't, but he came out as the super buff Trump. And then Dana Carvey dumped his Biden character and did Elon Musk instead. So I think that, you know, I think they handled it like Saturday Night Live would handle it. You know, Trump made gains in the election in the black vote, the Hispanic vote, the Asian vote, women, young people, kind of all across the board. So the cast in its end of the opening skit had a message to the younger men.
Speaker 15: So all young men who helped elect Trump and Elon, we know you felt unseen these past four years.
Speaker 10: So we say to you, young men, there's no need to feel down.
Speaker 13: Young men. Pick yourself off the grounds.
Speaker 11: Young men, time to put on your crown.
Speaker 16: Did you use me.
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 1: Touche? Well done? Saturday Night Live. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour news room. So Saturday Night Live might have been spoofing all of that. But a history teacher at Valley View High School in Moreno Valley has been placed on administrative leave for using profanity in class while making anti Trump remarks during a discussion with students. He told the class last week that Trump embodies some of Hitler's ideas and that they could end up in concentration camps in their lifetime. The teacher's rant was caught on video and went viral on social media. Israeli strikes over the weekend have killed dozens of people in Lebanon and northern Gaza. ABC's Britt Clenitz says one of the strikes yesterday hit a refugee camp in northern Gaza.
Speaker 11: Now the idea of saying it quote eliminated dozens of terrorists there.
Speaker 1: It's not clear how the US presidential election might affect the war against Hamas and Hesbellah. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says he has spoken three times with President elect Trump since the election and says they see eye to eye regarding the Iranian threat and all of its components. Isra's president is set to meet tomorrow with President Biden. And visitor tags at La City Hall could soon become a thing of the past.
Speaker 14: Visitors to the seat of city government currently slap on a sticker, but some visitors end up taking them off and leaving them on walls or furniture. City council in bob Bloomenfield says the city may take a page from the state government where visitors don't have to wear tags at all, so.
Speaker 16: You don't have to waste plastic or anything else because all of the employees have badges.
Speaker 14: The city council approved a motion last week asking various departments to come up with a new plan which could include no tags or tags that could be reusable and clipped on and returned in downtown La.
Speaker 1: Michael Monks k if I knew again, it is Veterans Day. If you want to participate, there's so many Veterans Day ceremonies and events going on around the Southland. Here's a couple more of them. In Burbank. There's a Veterans Day celebration starts with the Burbank Community Band doing a concert at ten fifteen, and then there's a ceremony to honor all veterans starting at eleven, and there is a flyover of the Condor Squadron. I mentioned that they were going to be flying over Pasadena. They're also going to be flying over Burbank. It's happening at the m Cambridge Park War Memorial at the corner of Amherst Drive in San Fernando Road. Again, that gets into way at ten fifteen, and then if you want to head to the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library, which I highly recommend anyway, even if you don't go on Veterans Day, it's really a really beautiful and very interesting and informative thing to go see. But anyway, for Veterans Day. They're doing musical entertainment, civil War encampment. They're going to have some military vehicles on display, and also a Veterans Day program that starts at ten. The program that gets underway at eleven includes an honor guard in music and remarks by the keynote speaker, and also the Condor Squadron is going to be flying over the Reagan Presidential Library. Condor Squadron's busy, very busy today this Veterans Day. Firefighters continue to gain ground on the fire that's destroyed one hundred and sixty eight homes and other buildings and damaged another sixty seven in Ventura County. The fire hasn't really grown since Friday. It's burned through more than twenty five hundred acres and is now thirty one percent surrounded. Evacuation orders for about ten thousand residents are still in place, either orders or warnings. The FDA is proposing to stop sales of a common ingredient found in most over the counter decongestans. Researchers have determined that oral phenylephrine doesn't actually work. It's an ingredient in many common cold and flu products, including tailan al Benadryl and day Quill. A man found living in the crawl space of a house in East la has been arrested. The people who live in the house in El Cerino called police after hearing loud noises coming from under the house. They say they thought it was animals. Police used teargas to flush the man out after taking him out didn't work, or talking him out rather didn't work. He's facing trespassing charges. The familiesays the guy may have been staying there for up to six months. We're just minutes away from a handle. On the news this morning, Israel's Benjamin Nettagnah, who has acknowledged for the first time that Israel was behind that pager attack against Hesbola in Lebanon. Let's say good morning to ABC's Stephen portnoy So. Stephen. Starting with the presidential race, former President Trump made it a clean sweep over the weekend.
Speaker 9: Yeah, he won all of the battleground states. ABC News projected that Trump will win in Nevada and Arizona, and so he winds up with a larger share of the electoral College than he had in twenty sixteen, a larger share than Joe Biden had in twenty twenty, the best showing the electoral college since Barack Obama's reelection run in twenty twelve, and ultimately it demonstrates how the country has moved in his direction. But what we're still waiting on is the makeup of the House of Representatives, and it will wind up, I think, being a narrow Republican majority. But Republicans, I would say, are likely to hold the majority. I don't know that necessarily they'll improve on it.
Speaker 12: Man.
Speaker 9: In fact, it may shrink, it may grow by one. We'll just have to see. But you know how difficult it has been for the Republicans to operate in the House, given how narrow their majority is. I don't see it growing substantially. We're still waiting on sixteen districts, including several in California, and one of these days, I'll understand why it takes you guys so long to count your ballots.
Speaker 1: I was just going to ask you, Steven, why does it take so long to get these stupid ballots counted?
Speaker 9: If I were in Sacramento, i'd have the answer. I don't know the answer. The bottom line is we're still waiting, and so you know, I think more than twenty percent of the of the expected vote in California still yet to come in, And so a couple of these districts, particularly in the central not central coast, but I don't know what you call that region, part of the center of the state, is still up for grabs, and I guess we'll wait to see what happens. But in the sixteen districts are still outstanding, Republicans have a lead in eight of them, Democrats have a lead in the other eight. If those leads hold, you'll have a House that looks very much the same in terms of the Republican majority as they currently.
Speaker 1: Enjoy because we have how many now can like official.
Speaker 9: Well, we count two hundred fourteen for the Republicans, two hundred and five for the Democrats. That's total of four hundred and nineteen of the four hundred and thirty five.
Speaker 1: So if they held the way the numbers are looking now, the Republicans would have two twenty two and they need two eighteen for control.
Speaker 9: You got it right, So they would have a narrow majority that's akin to the majority they had when the Congress that we're currently in began almost two years ago, where it was difficult for Kevin McCarthy to hold the gavel. He wound up losing it. It was difficult for the Republican Speaker, Mike Johnson to get much through. And so let's see what happens. You know, the whole idea of Trump being able to do what he wants with unified government depends on Republican unity. And if the majority is as thin as it has been for the last couple of years, it could be tough depending on what he wants to get done, but it also might serve as a moderating force. Let's see what happens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And one of the races that you were talking about in California that is still contested is out of Santa Clarita and Anelope Valley. Democrat George Whiteside is now leading Mike Garcia, the Republican, by more than forty seven hundred votes. So Garcia had the lead, and over the weekend it flipped.
Speaker 9: I see it right here, eighty four percent of the expected vote in California's twenty seventh district. Whiteside, the Democrat, ahead of Garcia fifty percent to forty nine percent, but against sixteen percent of the expected votes. Still outstanding and ABC News is not projected a winner in that.
Speaker 1: Race, and we will continue to follow it. Thank you so much, Stephen Portnoy. I appreciate it as always, you beat. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Ooh, how about more election results. Voters in California have rejected a measure amending the state constitution to ban forced labor in prison. Nearly fifty four percent of voter said no to Proposition six. Supporters of the measure say inmates are often paid less than a dollar an hour to fight fires, clean sells, and do landscaping work at cemeteries. The work is voluntary in exchange for credits toward an inmate's sentence. More than two dozen monkeys that escape from a facility in South Carolina have been captured. ABC's Dave Packers's eighteen others are still running around, but they're staying close to home.
Speaker 2: Police saying the privates are hanging around the perimeter fence of the facility, cooing at their fellow primeates still inside. Their behavior calm and playful.
Speaker 1: The little monkey's got away Wednesday when a worker failed to close a door properly. The monks, a monkey's catched over. The captured over the weekend were said to be doing well, and one of them had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. A new Star Wars trilogy is in the work. Slucasfilm has tapped Simon Kinberg to write and produce a new Saga of films. Kimberg co created the hit animated series Star Wars Rebels and served as a consultant on The Force Awakens. It comes as other Star Wars projects remain in development from filmmakers including Donald Glover, Teiko Watiti and James Mangold. Of course, we did mention that today is Veterans Day and there are celebrations and events being held all over the place to say thank you to our veterans. A lot of veterans and families gather the Battleship Iowa in San Pedro called the Battleship of Presidents. Also, they're celebrating Veterans Day at the Queen Mary. This is for veterans and active duty personnel and their families. There's free admission to the Queen Mary today from ten to six and all kinds of Veterans Day activities. You do need to pre register, and that one is for veterans and active duty personnel. You can pre register on Queen Mary's website. This is very cool. The City of Santa Monica is doing a Veterans Day ceremony and they're gonna have guests and speakers and the three hundredth Army Band is going to be performing. And then tonight the Pacific Wheel at Pacific Park of course on the pier is going to have an enormous American flag lit up and the seals representing the Fined five Armed Services. That happens starting at sunset. And let's see City of Santa Clarita's co hosting an event that honors veterans and includes Veterans Day remarks by local veterans. That's happening at eleven am at the Veterans Historical Plaza. And there is a Veterans Day Parade, the twenty first Anuel Parade in San Fernando Valley honoring those who served past and present. That begins at eleven eleven this morning. It starts at Laurel Canyon and San Fernando Mission Boulevards and Mission Hills South on Laurel Canyon to Paxton in Pacoima. Please thank the vets today. They've provided so much to us and literally put their lives on the line for us. Very humbling. This is KFI and kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call, and if you missed in a wake Up Call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on CAIAM six forty and any time on demand on the iHeartRadio app.