Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to kfi AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Gary and Shannon kfi AM six forty Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Monday, August fifth, twenty twenty four. I had a friend send me this. It's a tweet from a Stanford student. It says Stanford students are so bad at dating. There's now a class where the assignment is to go on a date. And here is the curriculum guideline. And this is straight from the Stanford classes. You know, literature guidelines for the dating project. Number one, ask a classmate not limited to our class out on a level one date in person. Number two. Level one plan an activity in a public venue. No alcohol. Number three, spend no more than fifteen dollars. Number four, limit the date to ninety minutes. Number five. Write a narrative account of your experience, fallow by some reflections five hundred to eight hundred words. To prepare for this exercise, you're encouraged to read pages three to fifty six of Sherry Turkle's Reclaiming Conversation.
Speaker 2: We're teaching people how to be humans again. Yes.
Speaker 1: Level one is you can go for coffee. Level two, if a kiss is involved, it implies exclus exclusivetivity. Excuse me, this is stressing me out.
Speaker 2: Exclusivity, my God.
Speaker 1: And the attraction between both parties should be acknowledged. Real relationship work begins with level three when you ask yourself, can I lean on this person emotionally? Is this person going to become one of the primary emotional relationships in my life? God, they're just sucking the fun out of all of it, aren't they. That sounds and you hit the nail on the head. We have to teach people to be humans. That's terrifying. Shouldn't they have done the date in high school?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: I mean that's isn't that when you do it you gotta wait until you're required in a college class to do it.
Speaker 2: That's awful.
Speaker 4: Hey, Shannon, I had a pet duck. It was a junior high experiment. We hashed a bunch of little ducks. I asked my mom if I could take one home. Took it home, loved it. My duck's name was Shaq, super cute duck would followed me everywhere.
Speaker 5: My mom.
Speaker 4: One day, though, decided that she had enough of all the poop, and so she took the duck to a farm, and she didn't tell me about it, and to this day I still hate her for it.
Speaker 5: Oh wow, yeah, you know what? And what are the odds that that duck was taken to a farm.
Speaker 2: Huh?
Speaker 5: I don't know what happened to that duck.
Speaker 2: You think they took it?
Speaker 5: Probably ended up with Kevin. You're abandoned pet.
Speaker 2: A white duck and a white cat.
Speaker 5: An unlikely friendship, that's very likely.
Speaker 2: Swap is horrible. The government doesn't work, man, Make this like a TV show.
Speaker 1: A bad doss always a pleasure to be anywhere from Washington, d C.
Speaker 6: Hey, Joe. A town hall too, clearly built on a swamp in so many ways, still a swamp, not a bunch of maworkee.
Speaker 2: Nobody said, drained the swamp. I said, Oh, that's so hope.
Speaker 1: You know the thing.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, swamp watch.
Speaker 2: I love swamp.
Speaker 3: Watch, swamp Watch, slump watch, love swamp Watch.
Speaker 2: One of the best parts of your show.
Speaker 6: Love it.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you, thank you. I think so exciting. That's funny.
Speaker 1: I never heard that kind of excitement for us to engage in political discourse. I think he likes the sounder. Oh maybe not. That just sounds of us. So Nancy Pelosi comes out and she does an interview with CBS News Sunday morning where she makes.
Speaker 2: This bizarre assertion that.
Speaker 1: President Biden should be on Mount Rushmore, and even Leslie's still was like.
Speaker 2: Are we talking about the same Mount Rushmore? Are we talking about the same Joe.
Speaker 7: Biden top of his game, such a consequential president of the United States, a Mount Rushmore kind of president of the United States.
Speaker 5: Want to know what comes next?
Speaker 7: That he belongs up there on Mount Rushmore.
Speaker 2: Lincoln and Joe Biden.
Speaker 7: But you got Teddy Roosevelt up there and he's wonderful. I don't say take him down, but you can add Biden.
Speaker 5: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 2: So this is what this is.
Speaker 1: This is Pelosi trying to make good for the fact that she was the one who kicked Biden out of the race. Everything was everyone was walking on eggshells. No one was saying anything overtly. Nancy Pelosi starts picking up the phone and that was the day that everything crumbled to the floor.
Speaker 3: That was also she did an interview with ABC also and was addressing that that rumor, that storyline.
Speaker 7: People said I was burning up the air was no, it wasn't. The Only person that I spoke to about this was the president. Other people called me about what their means were about it, but I rarely even returned a call, much less initiated one.
Speaker 2: Now, she also said, just let me just.
Speaker 1: She just said, I never spoke to anyone about this but the president, and then realized that she lied and had to rework her lie. And so then she says, well, people called me, but I rarely returned calls, which is leaving the door open for those calls. She did return to those three senators on the committee investigating the riot at the Capitol who were the first people to come out her soldiers and say he's got to step down.
Speaker 3: She said she never suggested he stepped down, that she just wanted to see a winning candidate.
Speaker 7: I wasn't asking him to step down. I was asking for a campaign that would win aha, And I wasn't seeing that on the horizon.
Speaker 2: So how is that? How are you not telling him not to step down?
Speaker 1: Talking out of both sides of her mouth, per usual, You don't, You don't have a career like Pelosi had in Washington and be an honorable person and a trustworthy person, and somebody who doesn't lie to every single person.
Speaker 3: The assertion though, that the president that Joe Biden has what would she say, the most consequential.
Speaker 7: A Mount Rushmore kind of president of the United States.
Speaker 5: Want to know what next?
Speaker 2: That he belongs up there.
Speaker 3: I just if he were as consequential, and I'm wouldn't he have stayed?
Speaker 2: I mean, isn't that part of why?
Speaker 3: Part of the reason that he stepped down from from the campaign is, you know, he he touts his successes, he touts his legislative accomplishments, but if there were more to it, Yeah, I mean the idea that he's stepping down out of duty to either his country or his party, or whichever order you want to put it in, that does not make him noteworthy.
Speaker 1: They tore down Biden's legacy. The whole party admitted he's in senile land, and now they're trying to build back up as legacy for their own, for their own purposes and the strength of party. Yeah, that's all it is. They don't believe any of this crap. She doesn't believe he should be on Mount Rushmore.
Speaker 2: Wall Street, is taking it in the shorts once again.
Speaker 3: The Dow's down more than nine hundred points right now, the bottom of the hour, We're going to be checking in with a former director of Office of Management and Budget, Mick mulvaney, former White House Chief of Staff, is actually an economic contributor now to News Nation.
Speaker 2: We'll check with him about what this means and what it.
Speaker 3: Could mean in terms of a couple of months, a few months left in this election. How important will the economy be when it comes to choosing another president.
Speaker 1: One of my girlfriends is a big Donald Trump fan, or if you ask KRT, a big Donald J. Trump fan, and she gets specific. She was talking over the weekend about how she hates this jd Vance pick. And she's not alone money.
Speaker 3: I've seen a lot of people see because he doesn't really bring a whole lot to that ticket.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they say.
Speaker 1: The Trump campaign is seeking to help him move past this rough start vance by focusing on issues like the border that are going to resonate with the base. They're trying to have a jd Vance reset.
Speaker 3: Well, speaking of vice president, the vice president is going to make a choice for her vice presidential running mate within the next say twenty four hours or so. Most of the people believe that either late tonight or tomorrow morning is when the candidates that will be informed whether or not they were chosen. Three of them met with the vice president yesterday. Senator Mark Kelly out of Arizona, Pennsylvania Governor Joshapiro, Minnesota Governor Tim Walls all showed up at the Naval Observatory yesterday. She also spent some time with Pete Bootages, the Secretary Transportation, on Friday, and was meeting other candidates virtually, including Kentucky Governorry Busheer, Illinois Governor J. B. Pritzker, among others. The story regarding the story regarding her choice is going to be important because of the absolute barnstorming tour that they're going to go on. The campaign offered some detail. They have a five day tour in seven swing state cities starting right away Philadelphia, Auclaire, Wisconsin, Detroit, Durham, North Carolina, Savannah, Georgia, Phoenix, and then Vegas, all of them together.
Speaker 1: Supposedly, some Doug m Hoff dirt surfaced on Saturday. He admitted to cheating on his first wife. Apparently there was a bombshell report claims that he got his nanny pregnant. He reportedly strayed from his wife at the time, Kirsten, over a decade and a half ago, with a blonde nanny, Nason Nailer, caught at a private school attended by their two kids. She looks exactly like she sounds. Beautiful, blonde Norwegian was he.
Speaker 2: Was, Doug, Well, I don't not the right person to ask.
Speaker 1: You're gonna ask him. He's a good looking guy. Yeah, not my thing.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 5: He she did not keep the baby.
Speaker 2: But what does that mean? We don't know what that means.
Speaker 3: The wife, by the way, the now ex wife, Kirsten, said, Doug and I decided to end our marriage for a variety of reasons many years ago. He is a great father to our kids, continues to be a great friend to me, and I'm really proud of the warm and supportive, blended family Doug, Kamala and I have built together.
Speaker 2: There was a video that.
Speaker 3: Was kind of making its way around social media this weekend also about toxic masculinity and that Doug m Hoff was caught in this this world of claiming to have been fighting against toxic masculinity, but at the same time gets outed for having an affair with the nanny while his wife, you know, while he was still married.
Speaker 2: As being second gentleman changed your own view of perceived gender roles, of what it means to be a man.
Speaker 8: This is something I've thought about a lot and something I've spoken about a lot. There's too much of toxicity, it's masculine toxicity out there, and we've kind of confused what it means to be a man, what it means to be masculine, where you've got this trope out there that you've got to be tough and you know, angry and lash out to be strong.
Speaker 2: It's just the opposite.
Speaker 8: You know, Strength is how you show your love for people. Strength is how you are for people and how you have their back, and how you stick up for other people and pushing up, pushing.
Speaker 2: Out against bullies.
Speaker 8: I mean, that's what I believe it is. So every time I can speak against this toxicity, we're seeing it with our younger people. We're seeing it in our discourse and our politics.
Speaker 4: In the media.
Speaker 8: You're seeing it as it relates to so many of the issues that we're pushing back on. So I think it's a problem and I'm going to continue to use this platform every time I get to speak out against this toxic why not lean.
Speaker 1: Into the fact that you're married to a very strong woman. You know she gets strength points when her husband talks like that, I think, because you know who has to say in that household.
Speaker 3: But the most toxic, the most toxicly masculine thing that should be said is sometimes it takes toxic masculinity to tamp down a toxic man. There's a difference between negatively negative masculinity, which I think that's hence the word toxic, and masculinity through strength, the idea that you that you're going to hug your way out of need.
Speaker 5: A masculine response to some things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like when you've talked about it before, when people don't get angry, when politicians don't get angry, and I can't like put my finger on a specific situation, but you get pissed off when there's no showing of masculinity after a shooting or a crisis or something like that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like where's the anger at where's the like? You know what I'm gonna.
Speaker 1: It's why you know everyone loved the Toby Keith song After nine to eleven. We'll put a boot in your ass. It's the American way. There's something that resonates with a masculine response to somebody doing something very wrong.
Speaker 3: Then that's why I hate it when they do things like that. I mean, some of what he said, sure makes sense, but you don't clarify. Yeah, you don't get I mean, you're just talking about how men are the root of all evil around this place and they're not. I wanted to point out that we were talking about that RFK Junior story and the bear that he supposedly planted in Central Park. My wife reminded me, that's very much something that my family would have done, was picked up roadkill.
Speaker 2: Perfectly good road for sure.
Speaker 1: And I told you that that's going to play well in some parts of this country.
Speaker 2: Probably will, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 1: The spiral of the American financial markets today stoking fears of a recession, it all started when we got a soft jobs report last Thursday, and the snowball continues to roll down the hill.
Speaker 3: Joining us now to talk more about this. Mick mulvaney, economic contributor to News Nation, of course, former director of OMB and also acting White House Chief of Staff for a time. There and Mick we spoke on Friday about what we thought was going on. Is this still a hangover from that job's report from last week?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think so. It's also a chance for some folks to take some profits, some significant profits, off the table. Of course, it's more than that. It's not just regular profit taking. But I think when we talked on Friday, we had raised a couple of weeks worth of games in the Dow. Looked at the S and P or the broader indexes today, but the Dow is just almost exactly where it was on June seventeenth. So you've given up less than two months worth of worth of benefit. Yeah, it's tough to take. There's no question. You get games in the stock market. You want to you want to keep them. You don't hate, you don't want to lose money. But it's not it's not as dramatic. I've heard it explain, you know, described on the internet as the next you know, big meltdown, the worst thing since October of nineteen eighty seven, And it's neither of those things. It's a an ordinary correction, and it was triggered by those bad job numbers last week.
Speaker 1: The three major US indexes to your point, do remain positive for the year and the other experts, of course we went straight to the top with you, but they have said that, yes, this is kind of a course question.
Speaker 5: But it feels like shock and awe in the moment.
Speaker 6: It always does, doesn't it. I mean, it's just it's tough, and the numbers are so much bigger now. Remember when you know, when I was a kid and the Dow was at three thousand, you know, six percent would be eighty points, not six per said, it's a thousand over a thousand points, So it's a big deal in terms of the numbers. It's the percentages you want to look at, and to your point, the fact that they're still positive for the years is noteworthy.
Speaker 3: The other issue, of course, that plays into this, or that could result from this, is the FED reserve and a decision whether or not to cut rates now or wait until September.
Speaker 2: If they do anything, then.
Speaker 3: Do they react the same way, I hope not the same way that normal people do when they see these headlines.
Speaker 6: They're not supposed to. But at the same time, there's still people Keep in mind, where do you start from when you talk about the FED? What's their legal mandate. They've got really two sort of legal which is stable prices, which is inflation, and full employment. That's the dual mandate of the Federal Reserve. So that doesn't mean that they're supposed to buoy markets. Now that being said, if the markets are moving down because the market's anticipator recession, certainly the Fed is going to pay attention to that because the said would try and make any recession as gentle and as short as possible, So there's a sentiment involved there. And plus if the wealth effect, if the markets tank enough to where people feel like they don't have as much money to spend, they don't feel as wealthy, then that can become a self fulfilling prophecy and lead to a recession in itself. So yeah, the Fed is not supposed to act like normal people. They're supposed to follow the law and their mandation, and so for the most part they do that. But there's still people at the end of the day. I cannot imagine unless something dramatic happens in addition to what we've seen then, I mean a much steeper drop in the market or some other macroeconomic event, something overseas. Perhaps that they would do anything before September that would be really really hard for them to justify under the current circumstances and most importantly, damage their credibility going forward. You can't can't create an expectation that every time the market goes down a couple of points, the FED comes in.
Speaker 1: Following what happened in nineteen eighty seven, they made it possible to just kind of pause the markets should it get there. Do you anticipate it getting to that point in the next couple of days.
Speaker 6: No, no, No, we didn't do that during COVID. I mean they drop off. We staw during COVID. I think it was February of March of twenty twenty. Was as out as dramatic. I think in the percentage charge during my lifetime. I'd have to go back and see because I was I'm older than you folks are, but I was only in college in eighty seven. But no, I don't see them shutting down markets or freezing temporary suspending training, except perhaps on individual stocks if they see something unusual going on.
Speaker 3: Okay, we spoke on Friday about how crazy the next three months are going to be.
Speaker 2: Obviously there will be.
Speaker 3: Some political gain and loss out of a market correction like this because of the impact that people have, the fear of the personal feelings they have. Is this a winner for one side or the other or can it be you for one side or the other?
Speaker 6: It absolutely can and will be used. Whether or not it's effective remains to be seen. Look, I used to tell the President all the time that part of the art of doing the job is taking credit for stuff you're not responsible for and then avoiding blame on stuff you are responsible for. Because when you're washing, when you're when you're president of the United States, you get blamed for all the bad stuff and get credit for all the good stuff even if you had nothing to do with it. So it doesn't surprise me, for example, that when the market was running up in the months of June and July that Donald Trump you out and said, well, this is in expectation of me winning, so I'm going to take credit for it going up. And now that it's had a rough couple of days, is blaming it on Biden Harris? It's you know, it's their fault for going down. The other side will be doing it the exact same thing, and it's across It's across various topics, right. I mean, you've seen both sides trying to take credit for the hostage exchange last week that Trump said it was because Russians thought he was going to win and they want Biden to win, and Biden said the exact opposite. So yeah, that's that's politics. There remains to be seen. I don't think this is a major player in the in the November election, but if it is the General of Thomas. Anytime the economy is more and more in people's minds, the better the Republicans are going to do. Now the stock market stays choppy like this for a couple of months because we're still a couple of months out the election, and people start to worry about their four to one k's even more than they are today, that could help the Republicans for sure.
Speaker 1: Mick mulvaney always a pleasure. Former director at the Office of Management and Budget, former White House Chief of Staff as well.
Speaker 5: Always appreciate your time.
Speaker 6: Thanks ch'all.
Speaker 3: Absolutely a reminder. Surf is up and so is the excitement. Today the Ultimate Beach viewing party for the Olympic Surfing Gold Medal heats live at the Lexus US open up surfing at the Huntings and Beach Pier. The gold medal heats are today at about quarter to two and at about two thirty.
Speaker 1: If you're quite the pivot, quite the pivot serve from Yeah, I have an update from the Duck Sanctuary. They listened to the show and they would like us a sponsor a baby duck. And I think this is a real conversation that we have to have. This is somebody in our community in America who needs our help, and I think it would be a nice thing.
Speaker 5: For us to do.
Speaker 1: We could share custody of the duck. I could take it home on Mondays. You could take it home Tuesday, Thursday. Jacob could take it home Wednesday Friday and keep it through the weekend. I think we could all do this together. I mean, this is what society is built on, shared burdens. How many days do you get I get it on Mondays?
Speaker 2: Just one day? Just the one, okay.
Speaker 1: And I just think that if you want to be a communist about it, I do then fine. But I am standing here as an American saying that I will foster a duck with you guys and your help.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 5: I think it would be something nice.
Speaker 2: I think it's very nice.
Speaker 1: You're talking to me like you're talking to somebody who's in a psychiatric facility.
Speaker 2: Yes, put down the fire and the sharp objects now, please please.
Speaker 3: The Dow Jones Industrial average did not like our conversation with mcmulvaney and dropped below a thousand again, or I should say down a thousand. It's still now below thirty nine thousand, thirty eight thousand and seven forty four. Global equity market route continues. We have about an hour left in trading on Wall Street, and as we've seen in previous situations like this, to see here everything's fine. Sometimes that last hour gets a little more volatile than the others, so we will keep an eye on that. The campaign to be Vice President Harris's running mate is reaching its final hours, and now it looks like the top two contenders Governor jos Shapiro of Pennsylvania and Governor Tim Walls of Minnesota. According to a source that talked to Fox News. They said that those two are the ones that she is deciding between. That would leave out, of course, Mark Kelly out of Arizona, Pete Bootage, the Transportation secretary, and some others that had been named in the process.
Speaker 5: There, Gabby Thomas is beautiful.
Speaker 2: My goodness, she's very fast.
Speaker 5: She's very fast as well.
Speaker 1: A growing number of younger adults in this country say they are unlikely to have kids, the primary reason being they just don't want to. This is according to the Pew Research Center, found the share of adults under fifty who say they're unlikely to ever have kids climb ten points ten percentage points since twenty eighteen.
Speaker 3: This is this Pew pole that you pointed out to me during the break. It's interesting because it's not just a question of those who say they don't want to have kids, it's what do other Americans think about fewer people choosing to have children? Like what does that mean for us as a culture, as a as a country. And that, to me is just an interesting way to ask the question about half. Like you said, about half of all adults say that fewer people choosing to have children in the future would have a negative impact on the country. Men, older adults, Republicans, and anybody with a higher income among the most likely to say that fewer people having children would have a negative impact.
Speaker 1: Well, because the people who you don't want to have kids are going to have them. Wanting to focus on careers or interests was the second most popular reason behind I just don't want to. For the younger group. The older group, their second most popular reason was I haven't found the right partner. There's a bunch of men running around without socks, without socks, socks and sex. Sure, there's people that are making money off of coming up with AI apps for companionship.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and not normal human interaction.
Speaker 1: Nobody's interacting with humans anymore. They're interacting with machines.
Speaker 2: Uh So.
Speaker 3: What they also asked was are there policies that could be put in place that would encourage people to have more more kids? And six and ten said free childcare would be extremely or very effective now. And I don't want to cast dispersions on anybody who's who's gonna have a kid and then have to put their kid in childcare, But there is something to be said about you're having a you're having a kid.
Speaker 2: I mean that.
Speaker 3: I don't know if that's necessarily be baked into it. Yeah, there are people who, through whatever circumstances, they can't not have childcare. They've got to work, especially single parents. You've got to have some amount of income and working is the way you're going to get that, hopefully, and that means.
Speaker 2: You're gonna have to have childcare.
Speaker 3: About half of the Americans said that requiring employers to provide paid family leave would be highly effective. A similar share said the same about providing more tax credits for parents, and forty five percent. Forty five percent of Americans said giving parents of minor children a monthly payment would be a highly effective policy. Then we're getting into some weird areas here, because then you're paying people.
Speaker 1: To have kids, and those are the last people you want to have kids.
Speaker 2: That's exactly why it's like you.
Speaker 1: Go, that goes back to the welfare mother argument from the eighties. Keep having those kids to keep getting more checks. Yeah, you're going to read you're going to re reframe that some way of saving America.
Speaker 3: No significant gender differences among Democrats, except on paid family lead. They said Democratic women sixty four percent more likely than men fifty eight percent to see paid family leave as a highly.
Speaker 2: Effective way to encourage more people to have kids.
Speaker 3: I mean, we know people who took months off when their kids were born. Men, men who took months off. Now again, there are going to be circumstances. You took off twelve hours. I did two days. Honestly, I did two days, and I feel awful about it. I mean, my kids are fine, everything worked out fine.
Speaker 1: But there's a happy medium between two days and three months.
Speaker 3: Yes, and if I could do that, yeah, I would go back and do it differently.
Speaker 2: I take it at least.
Speaker 1: Wow, So this just breaking the Nate Silver forecast model. Now give Kamala Harris a fifty three percent chance of winning. And that's the that's the one that did not screw us over the Nate Silver numbers, right am I remembering that correctly?
Speaker 3: Not entirely, but I think Nate Silver it was when he was head of five thirty eight.
Speaker 2: That was what a lot of people I.
Speaker 1: Don't I don't all do a deep dive in the break good question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've still got three months left. Though still got three months.
Speaker 5: A lot of people can make a lot of mistakes.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 3: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.