Speaker 1: In studio Heart for Seniors. It's a link on my blog page fifty five care see dot com. Grab that microphone, have a seat because we can talk. Welcome back, Patty, Patty Scott from Heart for Seniors. I was really impressed when you were here and as I discussed the last time Heart for Seniors was in studio, Patty's wonderful organization. Obviously, I thought of my father who was in a dementia facility, and I know what he went through, and in spite of the fact that we viewed it as a good facility, and I'm not don't want to be critical of the people that provided the care for him, but if I just my heart breaks my mom. She was there every single day, and I know it was because she was there every single day that he got probably better care than he would have gotten had she not been there every single day. And one of the problems, and you outlined it so well previously, so much so that I gave you a contribution to your organization. All right, we appreciate it was my pleasure to do it. You have a software and technology that can make sure folks who are literally lying in their own juices if you know what I mean alert the staff that that's the patient that needs the immediate service.
Speaker 2: It seems so simple, so simple.
Speaker 1: Explain how that works back.
Speaker 3: Well, so it's all about alert response technology, right, because if we don't know something's occurring, right, we can't fix it. And this industry, as we said last time, has seen no technology. And we know healthcare workers are stretched then and especially at a nursing home level. Yeah, they just don't have the staff at night, weekends, nights and weekends well, but not.
Speaker 1: The most highly compensated positions. And that's saddle into that. You know, honestly, you're going to be in charge of bringing up after seniors and bathing them and showering them. To get somebody to even agree to do that as for a living, to me, that would cost a lot more than what they're currently making on an hourly basis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it really is.
Speaker 3: It's sad and so I hate to say this, but a lot of nursing staff averages, especially on the weekend, is one st anda to a whole pod which could be thirty four patients and real human being one and they're technically protocols are every two hours, so they need to go in and check every two hours.
Speaker 2: I mean, do the math. The math just doesn't work. No, it couldn't.
Speaker 3: So with alert response technology, what's great about it is if you're incontinent, let's just take that for example, there's a special patented brief and there's a little module that goes on the brief and there's a cell phone that the st anda carries around with them. So think about before if they'd have to go into the room every two hours and check, put their hand down or round the brief. Which where's the dignity in that?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: I'm with you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So now it alerts their phone and they can go in, they go bedside, they just take the phone, they detach, they check, it's it's fool proof, it's perfect. It's alert response technology. You're alerted, you respond, and then you fix the issue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just thinking, and we'll take a break here, we'll bring it back. But you could be on the two hour schedule. If you're the provider, you walk in and you check them and everything's fine, and the moment you walk out the door, that's when they experience the incontinence and they're gonna be laying there for at least a couple of hours. And if not a lot longer. Average is twelve twelve hours, twelve hours, and there are a lot of complications that go along with lying around and st doing your own juicues for that period of time. We'll bring back Patty. Let me pause right now for these brief words. I'll be right back.
Speaker 2: Fifty five KRC dot com. Your hands work hard, tex.
Speaker 1: Heay, very happy Friday to you. And I got Patty and studio Patty Scott from Heart the number four seniors dot org and they have this amazing technology to help ensure that these seniors in these various living facilities are going to get the attention they need when they soil themselves. And it's a real problem, but a real time it's happened. Software alerts the caregiver to the cell phone so they know exactly what you patient to check on. There's no rotating schedule, and obviously these senior facilities are overwhelmed. Would you say one caregiver for maybe thirty people on.
Speaker 2: A week a week is kind of a normal weekend night.
Speaker 1: And this is a huge issue. You said off air, how many millions of seniors are going to be in these facilities?
Speaker 3: One hundred and twenty eight million seniors is what we have in the United States right now, one hundred and twenty eight million. One point three million of them are already in long term care. As we speak, fifteen million of them are being taken care of their homes.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, And this technology could be rolled out in a home environment.
Speaker 3: Right, absolutely, yeah, absolutely, it can be rolled out in a home environment. It's alert response technology, So right now there's a risk wearable. There's a brief that's special technology that can alert. We also, bing bing binged this week are rolling out a call light. So imagine how many times people are sitting there and pish their call light and they never show up. So the call lights are being implemented this week. We actually also are working on something for dehydration. Dehydration is a huge issue. Oh sure, toxicity if they're not dehydrated and they're taking how many meds and things like that. Think about the diabetes right now, Like a Libra three, right, it's if somebody's wearing a Libra three there, the alert is sitting bedside, it's gonna alert.
Speaker 2: Well if nobody's around, who's going to see it?
Speaker 1: And again, going back to my father when he's experiencing his worst phases of stages of Alzheimer's dementia. He wouldn't know to reach over and press a button.
Speaker 2: Right, right.
Speaker 3: So we also are working on thermal imaging where we can actually not even have to have anything on a patient and it can just be sitting in the room and it can take everything from pollox to blood pressure, can uncover tachycardia, any and all. So, I mean, at the end of the day, here's the issue, right, there's a crisis. We're in four facilities right now in the state of Ohio. The gold this year is to be in fifty. The only thing the technology is there. The only thing that is holding this technology back truly is just funding.
Speaker 2: But here's the catch.
Speaker 3: How much, Brian, do you think it costs for a caregiver, a resident to have a Heart for Seniors technology system ecosystem around them.
Speaker 1: I have no way of knowing.
Speaker 3: Twelve dollars and sixty three cents, Oh my god, forty seven hundred dollars a year.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 1: So and I want to thank from the bottom of my heart because last time Hart for Seniors was on they you ended up getting like three thousand dollars from.
Speaker 2: My listeners we did, and a donation from you.
Speaker 1: Well, I know I wasn't trying toot my own horn, but you know this, and these were small contributions folks you have in the listening audience. Twenty dollars here, ten dollars there. It all adds up. Every little bit counts, like a flea urinating in the Pacific Ocean, all everything, every little bit counts. So you can reach out to Heart number four Seniors dot org and help contribute to this wonderful cause. And I want to see you in all the senior facilities.
Speaker 2: We need to be because well.
Speaker 1: It benefits the caregivers that are there. They're not going around doing make work on a schedule. They're going to actually where people need the care that is correct. It's such a simple solution. It just blows my mind that it hasn't been rolled out more across the board. It's a way for senior facilities to save money and provide better care and be more efficient.
Speaker 3: The other thing that the show and you have helped us with is there were several what are called discharge planners at hospitals. So discharge planners are the ones that have this heavy burden, right they're sending off patients from hospitals they don't know really what they're sending off to and where they're sending off to.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's right.
Speaker 3: So we've been able to we've been able to visit a couple of hospitals since your last show and actually shared the technology with the discharge planners. They're just like, you've got to be kidding, mind blown, mind blown that this even exists. I know, And it's just the dignity and the care. I mean, it's saving lives without question.
Speaker 1: And you went through some of the horror stories of folks who are neglected and have the neglected. It doesn't take a whole lot of imagination to realize what that neglect can bring about.
Speaker 3: People are sitting in their urine and feces for over twelve to eighteen hours. That turns to skin breakdown bacteria, including sepsis, which then takes you back to a hospital where you're going to Keep in mind, hospitals get paid, oh regardless whether you're there five days or seven days, but they try to send you right back and it's just this cycle that just tens.
Speaker 1: And thousands of dollars just to walk into the hospital Patty Scott of Heart four Seniors, Heart the number four seniors dot org, check them out, help them out, and thanks to all of my listeners who did that last time around. What a wonderful organization. Got a break now, Patty, because we're gonna catch ourselves A crime stopper Bad Guy of the Week