Speaker 1: Tonight on the Twilight Zone Podcast, as promised, I hand the microphone over to you, the audience, to give your thoughts on the episode From Agnes with Love. I figured, considering we have so few episodes of the Twilight Zone left, why don't we make the most of them and try and get more thoughts onto the show. And it was quite an interesting episode to cover, because I must admit it wasn't one that I particularly liked, and as I was working on it, I kind of became a little fonder of Wally Cox. I thought in moments he was quite good, but overall it didn't really work for me. But I've said this several times on the podcast. You know, every episode is someone's favorite episode. Now, I'm not sure there's many of you out there who would say from Agnes with Love as your favorite episode. But that said, maybe it was an episode that you watched as a child and you really enjoyed it and you can see its flaws, but you've grown up with it and it's part of your Twilight Zone enjoyment. So under those circumstances, I really don't like to be super negative on a show, even if I don't like it, because there's always going to be someone out there waiting to listen to that. And while I do have to be honest, there are ways to be honest, and there's no point in really just being as super negative as possible, because don't we have enough of that in the world at the moment anyway, So why don't we go over to our friends at the After Hours Club because I put a poll over there, as I do with every episode, for people to vote on and to leave their comments. Oh, probably no surprise to anyone that in terms of top tier, middle tier or bottom tier, nobody voted from Agnes with Love in the top tier. Have we had that before? I can't quite remember. But middle tier is fifteen percent of the vote and bottom tier is eighty five percent of the vote. So eighty five percent of the voters in the After Hours Club put it in the bottom tier. And I don't think there's any surprises there. But let's hear what they had to say about it. Our friend Michael Feinbach said, bottom tier. The best you can say is that Wally Cox is perfectly cast. Sadly he and Sue Randall died too young. I absolutely agree with you on that one. Michael, Joshuaheed said, the last time I remember watching this, I was sick in bed. It didn't make me feel any better afterwards. Yeah, I can see what you're saying there, Josh. Thank you. Friend Ben Cairkeham says from Agnes with love. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. Absolutely okay. Aaron Laurence says Middle Tier for the ambition of artificial intelligence interference in human matters, which is actually relevant today. Thank you so much, Aaron, appreciate your comments. Our old friend al Shadsma says, I loved Wally Cox when I was a kid, and this episode's ending surprised me back then. But if you're over ten years old, it's unfunny and predictable. Poor Wally died far too young and belongs mostly in comedies, I mean real comedies, not this lump and not that dreadful short on Night Gallery. You know, even though I covered the Night Gallery in the After Hours Club, I can't remember the one that Wally Cox was in, but I will definitely have to look that up to jog my memory. I think that's the thing. Isn't it unfunny?
Speaker 2: It's uh?
Speaker 1: I think I grew to appreciate some of the little moments with Wally, some of the looks he had or the little inflections he did, but it wasn't really enough to save the episode. Thank you all. Jordan Dollock says there isn't much to say. I probably would like it more if it were waste, but it commits the cardinal sin of being bad enough and good enough to be boring. Thank you, Jordan. My old friend Steve Badger says bottom tier, but not the waste episode, no real saving graces, and just reinforces the TAZ shouldn't do comedy theme. It's not what springs to mind when we think about the Twilight Zone. I absolutely agree, Steve, Thank you. Cerebral p says it's bottom tier but definitely the better of the comedic attempts I've come across at numerous times, and ca'm bring myself to turn it off. Good casting, bad script, good concept, bad story, good director, bad direction. It's bad, but I love it. It's a spoonful of ice cream buried under too many cherries, al East anything.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: If there's one thing I can really respect, it's someone who can say, you know what, Yeah, it's not very good, but I like it anyway, or the flip side of that is someone who says, you know what, I can see this thing is actually very good, but it's not for me, because I think in this kind of modern world of you know, amateur critics, of which I count myself as one, I think there is a real lack of ability quite often to detach themselves from what is their kind of you know, do I like this to a more universal appraisal of something, you know, and even the best critic in the world, obviously it's still their opinion. But I think the good ones have the ability to detach themselves somewhat and be able to make those declarations you know it's good for it, but it's not for me, or you know it's bad, but you know there's something about it, those kind of things, rather than putting out there that my opinion on this thing is my overall review. And I don't mean in terms of people sending in feedback and that kind of stuff. I mean people who are putting out content as reviews, if you like so. But anyway, that's a very long thing for what you were saying, cerebral pe or I just wanted to say that I really like where you're coming from with that. Santino says. Wally Cox is great, but this episode not so much. I think we're on a similar page with that one, Santino. Whitney Bieler. Personally, I'm a computer geek by profession, and it's nice to see we were already portrayed as lacking social graces even in the early sixties. Yeah, that's an interesting point. Actually it was. You know, computers were barely out of the box, so to speak, but the computer gig stereotype was right there. Whitney goes on to say, I did like how Agnes the computer displayed output that kind of trapped our mouthed And for some reason, I've always liked the wimpy Wally Cox. But overall, this is quite a week episode bottom tier. Absolutely, thank you, Whitney. My dear friend Emmy says, I won't go into too much detail here because we'll cover it on the after show, but I definitely don't hate this one as much as others do. I think. So what Emmy is talking about is over in the after hours club after I put the main show out. Sometimes it's straight after it, but other times it might be a few days or a week after the main show, she and I will get together and talk about the episode in a more conversational way, and we call that the after show. So it's like the Twilight Zone podcast and then the after show, and now we have the feedback show. So because there was two prelude episodes too from Agnes with Love, you have had five episodes. Well, if you remember on the Patreon there will have been five episodes covering from Agnes with Love. I'm not sure anyone actually needs that, or there you go. Our friend John Hay says this episode is simply painful to watch. No message here. Yeah, I agree, John. I mean I mentioned in the main show that there's these other couple of stories which are quite lighthearted in their way but still had something to say. But I can't really get much to say from this one. Our friend Chad Boykin says, I don't like to be in with the mainstream of opinion, but it looks like I have to be on this one.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Chad. Uncommon Nasa says, I don't remember hating this episode, but I don't remember much about it at all, besides being board through stretches with the emergence of brain center at Whipples in recent years. I think that episode really makes this one even more obsolete. Different how common themes, but similar reliance on the computer as the gimmick at the core of the story. Thanks so much, NASA. Okay, so that is our Patreon feedback, and if you want to join that part of the conversation, go to patreon dot com slash twilight Zone Podcast, where you'll find podcasts about Night Gallery, the Twilight Zone, reboots, story readings, all kinds of stuff over there. There's actually a really big back catalog of stuff over there now, so it'd be good to have here. And we're also covering the outer limits over there as well. So next up we'll be hearing from some people with some audio feedback. Don't go away, so just starts us off is our old friend and voice actor extraordinary, Josh Chambers. Josh, take it away.
Speaker 3: Hi Tom, first and foremost, if I may be so bold and speak for the rest of us in the after Hours club, we are all eagerly awaiting to see how you'll be taking one of the lowest to the lower tier episodes and find a critical, academic, or otherwise praise worthy angle from which to present the entry, we have faith in you, my friend.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: I was originally going to record some audio feedback where I'd attempt to explain some cogent theory or simply discuss the episode's historical context. I don't know, maybe even do a riff on AI and where we are in twenty twenty five. But now a few days later, as I look over my notes, I just simply cannot make sense of what it is I saw. And I'm I'm sure I have watched this one at least half a dozen times. So, without further ado, here's just the list of the most mind bogglingly odd things from the episode that I noted. Why are they playing Dance the Cuckoos, Dutch Angles? Why never go full underdog? Especially at super data? Is anyone else scared that Don Keefer's head is going to pop off if only Agnes had some Perry combo there. This is just weird. I have no idea what that was, though I could have said that thirty times the computer's display is like watching the board on an old episode of Jeopardy? Is Agnes somehow related to Agnes screp all girls, same mother? Venus schmemus, premature Champagne odd editing, weird jumps and an ambitious crane shot for absolutely no reason. Only wished computers today sounded as cool as Agnes. What on earth was Elwood doing to that machine? And why is he about to put the door placard on the young woman's bosoms? And that's it. But for the record, our son Carson liked it. When I pressed him on why, he simply said, I love the Twilight Zone. I guess in the end he's right, good, bad, just playing mediocre or whatever. From Agnes with Love is we do love our Twilight Zone. Thanks again, Tom, and I hope you are in recovery after this episode.
Speaker 2: Take care, Thank you, Josh.
Speaker 1: I enjoyed your stream of consciousness thoughts there on From Agnes with Love. But I think we all could be a little bit more like cars and sometimes, and you know, I guess try and find the joy in things more than we probably do as adults. I mean, I tried, and I think that's probably why I came away with the thought that at least I enjoyed some of what Wally Cox did. So there was that you said at the beginning that you're you were interested how I would approach this one and I appreciate that because it is getting a little bit tougher here in season five. The trivia is really drying up, and you've got to try and I guess do something with the episode. So this time, you know, it was like, well, what are computer's doing at that time? And bring a little bit into it to round things out a bit, I suppose, But I hope you enjoyed it, and thank you for charming in Josh.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Next up we have the CEO of job a house press, our friend.
Speaker 4: Chad Hey, Tom Chad here calling in with a couple thoughts on for Agnes with love. You know, mostly I'm guessing that there's now going to be a whole lot of feedback on this one. So I like to try to do things that nobody else is doing and giving a feedback on one of the episodes that I think this might be one that Rod Serling referred to lovingly as a Turkey. Twilight Zone didn't do comedy especially well, that's the conventional wisdom. Maybe they just sort of pale in comparison to the to the weight and the gravity of the bigger, more heavy episodes, but these also provided a little bit of levity and you know, maybe kind of maybe they just pale in comparison, but try to sort of take them for what they are. So this story was, you know, the sort of nerdy office guy. He's smitten with his coworker and the supercomputer is giving him bad advice, intentionally trying to sabotage his relationship because the supercomputer is really in love with the nerdy guy. So the I guess that's one of the jokes that the episode make. But my two cents on this one. My takeaway was that from our vantage point at this point in time, when we have the supercomputers and the palm of our hand and we're you know, buying laptops every couple of years, and they're they've become such a big part of our lives, and I think Twilight Zone and other science fiction sort of predicted that way way back when. But what stands out to me is in this episode, it's the supercomputer that's in love with the person, Whereas from where we stand today, it seems like the people are in love with the computers. So it seems like it sort of flipped or became kind of the inverse of what this episode kind of says.
Speaker 2: But who knows. We're only at a certain point in time.
Speaker 4: It might be that in the future it becomes that way right where the computers are in love with us, but right now it seems to be the other way around, and we're so connected to these things all the time, Like twenty four to seven, we're practically iborgs with these computers on our person all the time and in multiple forms. So anyway, probably not an episode that's in anybody's top tier, but I wanted to send some thoughts in on it. Also, just a quick congratulations. I really loved the recent episode where you talked about that the spoof concert that never was and how Rod Serling did the narration for that sort of in the mid seventies, one of the last things, if not the last thing that he ever did. I wasn't aware of that. I thought it was a really cool, a really nice hidden gym to find, and I think it's sort of a great little concept and to do a half mockumentary half real documentary about that is really cool.
Speaker 2: So keep up the.
Speaker 4: Great work, and we're in the home stretch and hope everybody is doing really well.
Speaker 1: Cheers, Thank you, Chad, and we will have some news soon about another book from job a house Press that will be of interest to Twilight Zone fans. Yeah, I mean, I enjoyed your take on the whole. These days it's us who's in love with the computers thing. It's I don't know, I don't want to get too kind of real world on everything, but it is troubling sometimes. And you read now occasionally about people who are really trying to shun technology to a degree. And much as I love a gadget, sometimes I think, you know what, I kind of get that as well. It's just a shame this episode doesn't really say much about anything.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 1: I suppose at that time, you know, there wasn't that dependence there, but as Epicac and a logic named Joe kind of illustrated, there were still things to say. Thanks for your thoughts on that chat. Okay, my old friend Joe Brown with some thoughts on from Agnes with Love.
Speaker 2: Hey time, Joe Brown.
Speaker 5: Here, just some thoughts about the latest Twilight's Own episode from Agnes with Love. I'm not really sure where to start, tom. I started watching the episode again just to familiarize myself with it, and some things that stuck out to me.
Speaker 2: Was.
Speaker 5: Immediately when the episode starts, you see that mister Drysdale, who's played by Raymond Bailey, mister Drysdale from Beverly Hillbillies is.
Speaker 2: Wally Cox's boss.
Speaker 5: Wally's playing Jim Elwood, and then the episode starts out like it's going to be a really a serious type episode. And as time goes on, immediately as he goes down to get Elwood to fix Agnes, that music that is supposed to be joyous and happy and silly is going on, and it makes the viewer think we got a comedy coming right away. And I'm just sitting there shaking my head watching the television, going I don't this is not going to turn out good, and it doesn't because he gets into he being Elwood gets into the computer room with Agnes, and there's Dan Hollis from It's a Good Life is sitting there, you know, Don Keefer, and he is completely it looked like he came straight out of the cornfield to now deal with Agnes. And he basically tells Elwood, this is your problem. I can't fix her. I'm out of here, and he leaves. So, of course Wally Cox Elwood is getting involved with trying to answer these questions or gets computer to work, and it's just.
Speaker 2: It's just silly.
Speaker 5: Tom trying to get advice on the computer about how to deal with women and advises him on what to do with Milly ask her out, and then it moves into we'll have dinner at the apartment because he tries to ask her for a date that doesn't work out, and it's just these funny moments that are supposed to be funny are simply not funny. It's just not a funny episode. It's just it's so typical of these comedy series of that time, even in the sixties, to where it's supposed to be lighthearted, it's supposed to be taken with a grain of salt.
Speaker 2: But the stereotypes are just ridiculous.
Speaker 5: On how this computer knows that all girls are the same and that if Elwood allows Milli to go meet Walter with the blue sports car or before even before that, he can use romantic or reckless romantic. And I'm just sitting here, shake of my head, going, I don't understand why this episode is doing it.
Speaker 2: It's just that's not funny.
Speaker 5: And then one thing I noticed, if you watch the episode and when the camera pans back looking at Agnes.
Speaker 2: It almost looks like a face.
Speaker 5: When the message board is opening and closing like a mouth. And then the video cameras, which are really just lights, are flash and it looks like it's a face. And Agnes is supposed to be saying these words, but the words are populating in that little flapper that's opening and closing, you know, And then you know, as the episode goes into act number two, we go back to mister Drysdale. It tries to be serious and tries to be funny at the same time, and it just does not work. And the one thing I made mention about Walter earlier with the blue sports car, why is Agnes asking Elwood have you met? You're still with Millie, You're still trying to date her, And then it says, why don't you go have her hook up with Walter?
Speaker 2: You know, the one with the blue sports car.
Speaker 5: Agnes has all of the answers about what Wood is supposed to be doing, but yet doesn't know whether or not Elwood's with Milly.
Speaker 2: It doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 5: It's I don't know, it's trying to personify Agnes is a person and you know, when I first started thinking about this episode, I thought what I remembered it as was going to be like the movie Her with Joaquin Phoenix, and it's not. It's it's not that Elwood has fallen in love with the computer.
Speaker 2: It's the opposite.
Speaker 5: Agnes has fallen in love with Elwood, and it just it makes no sense. In the episode is trying really really hard to be funny. And then of course at the end, Elwood ends up in the same boat that Dan Hollis did. He's all Harry Walter comes in to save the day, and it makes me think that is the same thing going to happen to Walter because Elwood's not going to be back to seeing Agnes in the future.
Speaker 2: So I don't know, Tom, this isn't a Twilight episode. It's just a waste of time.
Speaker 1: Thanks, thank you, Joe. You know, I was listening to that thinking, man, I missed those conversations with Joe at sailing Fest, and it kind of occurred to me that actually all of the feedback that I'm playing in this episode is from sailing Fest attendees. We were all there last time, and yeah, man, good times, good times. You said a lot of cool stuff there, Joe. And at the crux of it, we can forgive anything. If something is funny, it will take us away from a story that doesn't make sense, or maybe one of the actors isn't so great, but overall it's funny, or you know, whatever it might be. But you're right it it just wasn't funny, which is you know, the cardinalsin of comedy. Also what you picked up on, you know, Agnes being a love with the Wally Cox character. And I said this in the in the episode, it's like, well, where does that actually come from? You know, it kind of needed something to at least explain why this has come about, because as it is, you know, we have the Don Keifer character who's clearly went through the same thing with Agnes, and then all of a sudden, Wally Cox's character comes in and Agnes is in love with him straight away. So I guess what we're supposed to take from it is that Agnes is just this kind of crazy computer who just falls in love with whoever is her main programmer. And again going back to Epercac, at least there was a reason for that. You know, Epercac was creating all this love poetry for the guy who was operating him, and that was generating these feelings for the person who he was writing the poet, so you know there was something there. But yeah, with this one, there's just absolutely nothing but good to hear from you anyway, Joe. All right, so let's play out with our old friend from Bedea, Texas, Harold Clark.
Speaker 6: Hey there, Tom, Harold Clark reporting and from Bute to Texas talking about from Agnes with Love. So, unless my vast Wikipedia research fails me, you have already said in your very mellow tone, first broadcast February fourteenth, nineteen sixty four, So to have a love themed episode debut on Valentine's Day? Eh, okay, nice touch. So one minute in we go to see what this Agnes is all about, and they play that whimsical music and I thought, oh, it's one of these episodes. I mean, I knew it was a whimsical episode to start with, but like, oh no, we're gonna have these stingers. Let's see how this goes. So I will say one big plus of the episode is the design of Agnes. I mean, you know, here there, here we are, you know, five seasons in I guess budgets were going getting smaller. You know, they could have phoned it in Agnes, could have looked like anything. But you know, to have a whole wall, I mean, I guess that's what computers look like in the back in the day anyway. But to have a whole wall dedicate tour and have the monitors for eyes and the mouth, and all the lights and all the ticker tape spilling out and all of this stuff. I mean that, you know, they could have done anything, but you know, that was that was nice.
Speaker 2: I liked.
Speaker 6: I liked how they did that. And then we have good old James Elwood. So I'm gonna believe in my head that this is where dan Aykroyd came up with the idea for Elwood Blues from the Blues Brothers. I mean, he was in the Twilight Zone movies, so who knows. Maybe he was a longtime fan and and this character, you know, you know, stuck stuck with him, and you know, unless Ellwood is just a very common name. So I think the actor who plays the part of the nerdy programmer actually plays it very well. Now, whether you want a nerdy programmer as your main character of your of your story. Well that's another story. But hey, you know, I think he's fine for the role, for the role that's actually given to him later in the episode. I am surprised that they used the term sex fiend. I mean, I guess, you know, in nineteen sixty four, you know, considering what was getting what was getting censored, like you couldn't say coffee and tea and other stuff for me. And I know that's very related to to censors, but or to sponsors, I should say, but I don't know that that line, just that phrase just struck me that huh that was the thing way back then. Huh uh. So, I mean the story as a whole is very cliche, I mean, you know, nowadays, very clicheh you know, to have a comedy episode about this. You know, maybe it was just maybe maybe they just thought it was too wild of a concept, you know. I mean, by this point, we've had plenty of episodes of robots having you know, emotion and things like that. But maybe the whole idea of just a computer being able to have an emotion of love, I don't know. Maybe that's maybe they just felt compelled that this just has to be a comedy episode, not sure, but it did make me wonder, well, what happened if you would gender swap this, uh, this story, you know, you know, have a you know, a woman programmer you know, well does would she be a nerdy you know programmer? Would that have to be the case? And what would a male you know, you know angus, I guess what would a male computer sound like? Would it I mean, it's it's a know it all already? Would it already be a know it all? Would it try to man explaining stuff anyway? Not sure, but you know, it makes makes me wonder how they could have took the story if again, if things are changed. It makes me think about the twenty thirteen Joaquin Phoenix movie Her. I have not seen it, but apparently that's very much more dramatic retelling almost maybe of this story where you know, somebody actually does fall in love with a digital a digital thing. So you know, I mean, with with the advances in AI nowadays, I mean, it would be interesting to see what, you know, some of these writers stuff could could come up with as far as stories in twenty twenty five, I mean even five years ago, AI was completely different, So I mean, who knows, who knows what some of these stories will be coming out nowadays. You know, in the end, you know it's it's a harmless episode, you know, forget full so to speak. I mean, you know, I'll always remember the design of Agnes, but you know it, I mean, it's bottom tier for me, but you know, I mean, I'll give it. I'll give it kudos for the set design. And I did enjoy the the the banter back and forth between Elwood and Agnes and some of the some of the retorts that.
Speaker 2: Agnes would come up with.
Speaker 6: So you know, at the end of the day, it is what it is, and you know, you know it'll be interesting to see, you know what the what the high, you know, middle, low, bottom tier is what that percentage is going to be like. So anyway, on to the next episode.
Speaker 1: Then, thank you, Harold. Always good to get your thoughts. I was thinking over while you were talking actually, from some of the things you said, you know about the time period and everything with computers being quite new, I suppose it reminds me of when the Internet was starting to become a thing. So filmmakers started to make films about you know that the Internet and try and weave down into an adventure or something, but they didn't really kind of know what to do with it or how it really works in a kind of real world way. And I suppose there's shades of that. All this was quite new, so like, right, what can we do with this? What can we do with this? And they're like, let's let's make a comedy and here we are from Agnes with love. Thank you, Harold, appreciate it. So I've enjoyed this. You know, maybe I should have done this fifteen years ago, separated out a kind of feedback upsode where I could take a bit more time with it and speak to you all about it. But I've enjoyed doing it. As long as I keep getting feedback, then I will carry on doing this until the end. So if you want to get your thoughts onto the show, then send a clip of around five minutes to give or take. You know, I'm not too strict on it. If you've got a lot to say about an episode, that's fine, and send her over to Tom at the Twilight Zone podcast dot com. And let's do this again, because our next episode is spare of the moment. I'll speak to you then