Speaker 1: Walk back to a Broncos Country Today's All Bright, Dick Ferguson, Grant Smith here with you. Five six six nine zero is the text line. Thanks to Steve Atwater for joining us in the first hour. Thanks to Ryan Michael for joining us in the last segment as well. You may stay part of that God Brocos Country dot Com, slash podcast, where Wage podcast, Apple iTunes, Spotify, the Totally Free, Awesome and redesigned iHeartRadio app. Well you get to take it for Granted podcast as well. A new episode just dropped. Get your tissues ready, keep a box of I recommend the ala Vero Kleenex. It's got the alo in the Kleenex.
Speaker 2: It's got the ala in the Kleenix. Yeah, you get loationed while you're crying, right, so you don't rub the paper and then rub a ross spot in your nose. It didn't moisturize.
Speaker 3: Hold on, man, isn't that stuff like getting to your tear ducks and your eyes and burn.
Speaker 2: Well, you're not putting tissue directly in your eyeball. I mean well, I.
Speaker 3: Mean your your tears come out to your tear ducks.
Speaker 4: Some people actually stick the tissue, right, but your dad below the eyeball and then you know, you get the moisturizer right there.
Speaker 2: I don't know about that. Yeah, it's great when you have running nose or something. Especially, Yeah, when you're sick, you get the running nose. You're not crying. Do you put vasiline right there? Don't need to do it.
Speaker 1: The ali vera puts it red in It's a natural plant puts it red in there.
Speaker 2: Let's be a fan of this. Yeah, you're all naturally you want to put the.
Speaker 1: Chemical vaciline into there, but you're not doing the natural alveras even a box from here.
Speaker 2: But it's the one with the what's the one with the body snatcher? So yeah, we got a body snatcher Dick Ferguson in here.
Speaker 3: I'm just I'm just saying, I know how used you have a cold? Wiping too much when you're wrong on your nose, it gets a little dry. And obviously talking about clean aches and alabara just took me back to when I was a kid. My mom had like this this remedy, right, And I don't know where.
Speaker 2: It came from.
Speaker 3: I think maybe mom's passing down, But I mean he was always chicken soup Cambo's chicken soup.
Speaker 2: Put all that damn sodium.
Speaker 3: In it, right, Canada dry ginger real right, has no ginger in it?
Speaker 2: Nope at all. Right, So the Redheads aren't cattibalizing themselves.
Speaker 5: No, no.
Speaker 4: And then it was Vic's vapor roupe. The rub it on your chest and on your throat. Yeah, an old old time cure for the dark agent.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you man, that's what My mom would just stick their hand in that little bluetube and just come out with a hand full of.
Speaker 2: U And it was right. I put it on your chest, in your back, and they were like you good. See in the hells of Ohio. My parents would just give me a little shot of whiskey, shut me up, and you go right to see your throat. How does that help?
Speaker 1: Try to picture hand your old grant looking for the pappy that wapel back there.
Speaker 2: I got a cold. We were a little too poor for that. We were more of a gym bean family. Give it the bird the wild.
Speaker 3: Wait, Gray, that's one hell of a remedy because I've never.
Speaker 2: Heard of that before.
Speaker 1: Now, Pappy's warl cross syrup, you never heard that. No, you do the you do the you know the lemon and honey. You think you said you put a little shot of bourbon in there?
Speaker 2: Never yeah, oh yeah, yes, lemon and honey burbon, not some right out of your throat just too. That's right, So I can grow this beard, and then that's right that.
Speaker 4: I was denied the alcohol version. So that way, that's the remedy for Ben. If you want to grow in space your.
Speaker 2: Hair, it's a lemon, honey and subourbon. That's why forty years old it looks like I have alopecia.
Speaker 1: Five six text slide speaking of Dry, the Rocks run game coming up? Dry, who's gonna be here next year? I mean, that's the May figures to be here because he's on the rookie deal. But are we bringing Javonte Julil back? Do we need a clean house?
Speaker 2: What do we need to do here?
Speaker 3: I don't believe that you need to uh necessarily clean house. I think the first thing to do before you come up with that idea, Ben, is go back and reevaluate what's been going on with the running back position and say, well, well, these guys are not adequate enough to get the job done. Because when you look at Javonte Williams. Right, like when he first came into the league. Obviously he rushed for almost almost thousand yards or four touchdowns. He suffers the injuries, a lot of things happened that changed a little bit as far as how the team utilized his ability.
Speaker 2: But I mean, he had the.
Speaker 3: Same amount of touchdowns this year as he had in year one, and two of those touchdowns he got on a Thursday night game against the New Orleans Saints against.
Speaker 2: The team that was short handed, shorthanded, notorious for giving up plays. And by the way, that was the.
Speaker 3: First time all season a long that Jafonte actually scored a rushing touchdown.
Speaker 2: So my question is, here's a bigger question.
Speaker 3: Well, you look at the fact that that the Broncos have not had a thousand, nine thousand yard rusher one hundred yard rusher in a game. That's right in the Champagnon errawor the last time they did it was with the Sean Payton's guy and he did it. There you go. Latavious Murray was the last person, right, And do you remember what happened during that time, because Latavious rushed for I think one hundred and three yards against Arizona then they play the Rams on Christmas Day and that's when Nata.
Speaker 1: You got diausted because you had the offensive line fighting Brent Rippan on the sideline.
Speaker 2: Yeah, zact, let it rip our hYP Yes.
Speaker 3: So that's kind of crazy to know that the Broncos haven't had a one hundred yard rusher in a single game from a single player since twenty twenty three.
Speaker 1: It barely had fifty yard rushers all year. Uh you look at you look at the running backs this year. Javonte Everage thirty yards a game, Chili leverage thirty one yards a game. Estimate twenty three yards a game. That doesn't even it barely adds up to one.
Speaker 2: Hundred by itself. Okay, but my biggest question doesn't add up to one hundred. It does my math. So even if you were to that's eighty four yards a game between the three of them, exactly.
Speaker 3: So, even if you want to change the running backs for the Denver Broncos, right, you got to change the philosophy as well. And what I mean by that is going back and watching a Buffalo game I find to be refrustrating to watch. Savante gets a carry rush for five yards, He's taken out. You had taler Berday come in, he rushed for seven yards and he's taken out.
Speaker 2: And I'm trying to understand.
Speaker 3: What's the overall ideology associated with it.
Speaker 2: If you can help me out, those out there listening.
Speaker 3: To the show, help me understand, because I don't understand it, because I thought the idea was keep the ball away from Josh Allen by running the ball, right what we saw Coach Payton actually write that on his call sheet.
Speaker 2: Run it, but it's you're not utilizing your running.
Speaker 3: Backs, and everyone's asking the question as to why it isn't really truly the running backs like the ability to run the ball.
Speaker 2: Is that the reason that.
Speaker 3: The Broncos have been ineffective as far as having a hundred yard rusher over the past two seasons.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know. I think it's more scheme.
Speaker 1: I think it's more play call than it is, UH player, because we've seen these guys be able to get these kinds of yards when they're given enough to be able to do it. My problem here is you're gonna have to go to the draft to address this.
Speaker 3: UH.
Speaker 2: To add to the room. You can't add to the room.
Speaker 1: There's no but First of all, in free agency's not gonna be anybody to add what are you gonna add Naji Harris on a nine million dollar deal in a paying that especially not really run what would you what would you add? You know, I mean the Aaron Jones, Naji Harris, those are the top two guys. After that, it drops off a cliff, Jeff Wilson, AJ Dillon, the ghost of Nick Chubb, Like that's that's what we're doing. I mean, And then you've got Alexander Madison and then you get into a whole slew of nobody's after that, Like it's it's the free agent running back group here. There's there's nobody that you want out of this group. So what are you gonna have to go to the draft if you're gonna do that? And I know you get everybody their mother talking about asking Janty. First of all, I don't think he's there guy. Second of all, I don't think he's gonna be there to me, if you're looking at guys that sort of fit the mold of what Sean Payton wants. O Marion Hampton out of North Carolina, Caleb Johnson and Iowa Judkins at Ohio State those guys kind of fit the body types when you start to look at that Nick Singleton's going back to school.
Speaker 2: By the way, if you want like a bruising.
Speaker 1: North South guy, maybe Khalil Mullings out of Michigan.
Speaker 2: You know, he's six two two thirty.
Speaker 1: But it's like there's just not there's not a lot of room here, So it's gonna have to be you'd have to make a commitment to get these guys going, which and you'd think that Sean Pate would recognize that because his most successful seasons came when they had a strong rushing attack, not when they were slinging the ball over the ark.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But being for me, it doesn't make a difference what's running back you bring in here, right, veteran or riocky.
Speaker 2: They're not gonna use them enough.
Speaker 3: If there's not a steady commitment to utilizing that player's skills, it really makes no sense. And the way that I look at it from a defensive standpoint, it's not all about how many carry there's a single running back actually received in a given season or a given game to me's touches, Right, I told granted this before, I look at it like it's fantasy football. I need to get this guy as many touches as possible because now you put that on the hearts and minds of preparation for defensive coordinators and players.
Speaker 2: We have to stop this guy.
Speaker 3: And it's not just about you know, getting in the bare front and what I mean by that is gapped out across the board and you're just gonna clog up every gap and you're gonna say, well, we're gonna force you to plug with.
Speaker 2: One hand tied behind your back.
Speaker 3: No, you need a guy that's like a Chase Brown, right, Well, you can give it to on an outside zone, you run gap scheme with him, but also you can flex him out and you can match him up with safeties and linebackers and you know you still can win. That's the evolution of what I would love to see this Broncos usage, not running, the usage of their running back.
Speaker 2: Get to Yeah. And for me, I mean, I think that's the thing. Excuse me, I want to see I want to see them use the.
Speaker 1: Running backs more because that's really sort of where we're at with this thing. It's it was obvious that the plan or what should have been the plan to to beat Buffalo was keep the ball out of the Bill's hands so they can't run it downhill on you, and we did the opposite of that. We came out with the deep strike. Okay, you got them on their heels with the Troy Franklin thing. Congratulations, you got him.
Speaker 2: Happened.
Speaker 1: Now we need to go to the ground game. Now we need to establish that. Now we need to get that going. Now we need to have sustained lengthy drives. We scored two and a half minutes off the thing, and then we never scored again. The closest we came was clanking a fifty plus yard field goal off the upright. It was I mean, whatever happened from here's the plan to in the game?
Speaker 2: That changed, Like I don't understand.
Speaker 1: And I don't understand if it's you know, again, is this all on play calling, because it feels like that there's some missed backside cuts at times as well.
Speaker 2: But you know, I don't know. You're going to have to run the ball to be successful.
Speaker 1: And Sean Payton's winningest seasons came from when they had a top rushing attack, So what's the problem with doing that? Was this just about getting Bonux reps because I'm coming up dry when I'm looking for answers, Well, you were.
Speaker 3: Coming up dry, just like the balance in the run game for the Broncos came up dry and you gotta sprink some water on it.
Speaker 2: Man, you got to plan some seeds right, water.
Speaker 3: That grass because ideas, wherever you water the grass using the grass actually grows.
Speaker 2: And you need to do that with the run game.
Speaker 3: Now, I will say this to you know, Coach Payton's offensive credit is that that going back and watching in the games, not just the Buffalo game, but the games over the season, there was some creativity that eventually started to evolve that we saw Marvin MAM's kind of utilizing the scheme, and I was thinking, okay, well, this is what I was anticipating.
Speaker 2: The time, this is what I wanted.
Speaker 3: More like, when there's a positive play, you know, the part of me as a fan, I thirst for more. And when the well is tapped off and some guitars out the like, I get a little frustrated. I get a little frustrated because I'm like, there's your juice right there, right, utilize the juice. And I would have loved to see Marvin Mims utilize more in a vertical passing game. Yeah, because when you do that, you open up more of the run lanes. Because that is something that defensive coordinators have to think about.
Speaker 1: When you put Marvin Mims in the backfield, it tells the safeties to come down.
Speaker 2: It's coming to him. He's not going vertical from the backfield. Come down, especially after.
Speaker 3: What we've seen over the past couple of weeks with going you know, you go back to the Chargers game, the Bengals game in Kansas City Chiefs game, and I was looking for and when you.
Speaker 2: And I talked about a particular play, it was in a.
Speaker 3: Second quarter, nine minutes and forty eight seconds, right.
Speaker 1: After you ripped off a six yard run with Chavante and then what are you doing throwing the ball behind the line of script image to Marvin Mims in the backfield? As you pointed out on it, defense is on alert.
Speaker 3: And the first that once again when I when I watch film and I tell Ryan Edwards this because sometimes Ryan thinks that, well, he said, Nick, you're kind of like Ben And I was like, what do you mean, I'm kind of like Ben right all the time.
Speaker 2: Well, well, we know that.
Speaker 3: But the idea is just like, well, well Ben loves to just kind of pile on coach Fagan.
Speaker 2: I say, I'm not.
Speaker 3: I can't change the defensive eyes that I develop over the years, and I look at and I evaluate games based on that. Like if you tell me you and the shotgun, you got Marvin Mims in the backfield offset to the left and Javonte to the right, and I know for three games you've been using him a certain way and the swing passes and then he goes from left to right and he's swinging. I'm like, something's up.
Speaker 2: Something something is up.
Speaker 3: So with that being said, use your strengths to your advantage on as though you're gonna draw the defense.
Speaker 2: I was waiting on that particular play.
Speaker 3: I was thinking, Okay, well maybe Bo's gonna fake it, throw it downfield, or he's gonna throw it to Marvin, and Marvin's gonna throw it downfield, right, But none of.
Speaker 2: None of that materialized. It didn't, and he had the lost three yards and I was like, dang it.
Speaker 1: And it took an opportunity to put you back behind the chains in an area where you were in plus territory. You can't you can't throw the ball behind the line of scrimmage. One, once you cross the fifty, you should never throw the ball behind the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 2: You just shouldn't. It's very rare place where you're gonna do it.
Speaker 1: A third and long after you've gotten knocked back, you might run a screenplay, but you're not throwing the You don't. Once you get plus territory, you don't throw the ball behind the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 3: No, you don't unless you're gonna break your own tennessees and throw it down the field.
Speaker 2: That's the only time that I would be.
Speaker 1: If you're said it's a double pass or something, then yeah, but the intent is still to push the ball behind the line.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't take it like. That's the thing.
Speaker 1: Once you're getting a plus territory, you don't put yourself in negative place, and if you teach your quarterbacks, you don't take sacks there. You know, it's just one of those things like you don't live to fight an other day there, get rid of it, you know, you don't. You don't hang in there trying to make something happen, live to fight another day.
Speaker 3: And that's why, like when with they fake the the punt, right.
Speaker 2: I thought that was that was perfect, yeah, and I.
Speaker 3: Thought, Okay, the team's gonna get some points off of that, and no one is though, and then we came up drying on that, right, but knowing that.
Speaker 2: Points are a premium, that there was.
Speaker 3: Gonna be another shot where it's gonna be another aggressive move some something fleet flicker whatever it is, throw back the ball, both throw back the corner. I didn't see that. Yeah, I didn't see it.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm just the point now where I need some of Grant's parents coughser cough remedy at this point, Well, we got a whole six pack coming up next.
Speaker 5: Western our tackles, help the receivers on the official home of THEOS. All Right, all night, Kowa, welcome.
Speaker 2: Back to my broncost country. Tonight.
Speaker 1: All right, think Ferguson grat Smiths five six six nine zero text lone.
Speaker 2: Time for the NFL six pack.
Speaker 5: It's time for the NFL six pad. I'm gonna trade a lot of insight and insight information you can't find anywhere else. No. Six the top six NFL headline.
Speaker 2: What well with the loss yesterday?
Speaker 1: Contract talks with Kevin O'Connell get front and center in Minnesota Jay Glazer's report and multiple teams are interested in trading for Kevin O'Connell.
Speaker 2: Certainly not idle talk. There is tension in the.
Speaker 1: Relationships, stemming largely from the fact that he did not get an extension after his second season. Now he's one year away from free agency, could be willing to let it ride if necessary and hit the market, betting.
Speaker 2: On himself for one more year.
Speaker 1: Entering the final Sunday of the regular season, his earning potential.
Speaker 2: Was as high as it could be.
Speaker 1: Here's the question, Well, the two sides agree on consequences of a two game tailspin, the vikings over either hand. O'Connor can always say you know what I'm out, He voluntarily coaches a lame duck, can make himself available to anyone and everyone. In twenty twenty six, beyond money, O'Connell could be looking for more, say and roster construction that our alignment with the general manager in a situation where he'll have more of what he needs to put a team together that can get to the playoffs and win when the postseason arrives.
Speaker 2: But O'Connell contract obviously should.
Speaker 1: Be the first order of business for the Vikings right now that the season is any.
Speaker 2: But will a deal be reached?
Speaker 1: Will they keep him for one more year, let him become a free agent, or take the best offer they can if teams want to trade for him. On the surface, O'Connell seems too good nature to play hardball. But his dad, as many of you may or may not know, as a retired FBIA.
Speaker 2: Agent who was partially responsible for.
Speaker 1: Taking down John Gottie.
Speaker 3: So you are suggesting maybe he unlisten his dad to do absolutely what Benjamin.
Speaker 2: It's in the family of DNA to match wits with the rich and powerful.
Speaker 1: So if the if the wolf's snowed off for Kevin, the kind of deal he's looking for the me not themit the match.
Speaker 3: Well, there's a lot of teams out there that love young coaches, and you know, Kevin o'conno's one of the young coaches that.
Speaker 2: Stem from Drumbard.
Speaker 3: Please the Mike sending him coaching tree and his record is thirty four and seventeen. So if the Vikings won a part ways with Kevin O'Connell, there will be some takers. But I would suggest, why don't you just try to make a deal work because Detroit and Dan Campbell they're not going to go anywhere. They may lose Aaron Glynn and they may lose Van Johnson, but which will provide an opportunity.
Speaker 2: For the Vikings to take over that division.
Speaker 3: So make him happy, figure something out with Sam Donald and just run it back.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, they could actually trade him to a team like, for instance, Jacksonville and reap the benefit of draft picks while the economist general manager continues to strike out on the long players.
Speaker 2: Bad ball two.
Speaker 1: An learn head coach who could possibly have teams interested in trading for him says save your time. Unlike last year, Steelers coach Mike Toman didn't walk away when asked by reporters about his future. He handled one specific question about his future with a very specific.
Speaker 2: And clear message.
Speaker 1: Asked for his message to any team that might be interested in possibly trading for him, Tomlin said, I have no message.
Speaker 2: Save your time.
Speaker 1: Any coach can put the cabash on a potential trade by refusing to engage in talks with the team that has secured permission to negotiate with him for reaching a deal on compensation with the coach's current team or Tomlin, Well, I agree to a trade. If the Steelers don't want him, they should fire him and then he can take another job without compensation to Pittsburgh, or he can wait a year with full pay and loom Over the twenty twenty six coaching carousel, topic of potential trade became relevant because the report regarding Tomlin's future wasn't that the Steelers without fire Tomalin, but they're not planning to make a coach change.
Speaker 2: Tomlin is not planning to go anywhere else voluntarily. If you order in need of a coach.
Speaker 1: Would you trade for either one of these guys?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I would.
Speaker 3: We're talking about coaches who have shown as though they can win an NFL. But more importantly, think about Mike Tomlin's team here with the Steelers, one of the longest teams with the organization in the league at this particular moment.
Speaker 2: And I know there's been a.
Speaker 3: Whole bunch of bad characters who have come out and made the suggestion maybe it's time that the Steelers decided to move on.
Speaker 2: Here's what I do know. Right, you don't quit.
Speaker 3: One job but I'm having another job lined up.
Speaker 2: Right, You don't break.
Speaker 3: Up with your girlfriend unless you have another girlfriend.
Speaker 2: On the side.
Speaker 3: So why would the Stealers decide, well, Ben that Ben's give me that smirk. Theres so make it's a little different for one bitchmin all Bright. But why would the Steelers have to move past a Hall of Fame coach just to satisfy the stomach rumbling.
Speaker 2: Of a whole bunch of bad characters. You always have something lined up just for the next.
Speaker 3: Wait a minute, wait a minute. This has always been my idea of my concept. You don't mess up a sure thing for possibly maybe let me do that.
Speaker 2: You always have to have a sure thing on the other side. But if we had to make it makes sense. So why would the Steelers do this?
Speaker 1: Unless you're me, I I'll just blow it up at random, just to blow it up free.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Tomlin, he doesn't know his starting quarterbacks is going to be in twenty twenty five. Tomas said today there are a lot of unanswered questions about the future in Pittsburgh and that.
Speaker 2: The quarterback position is one of them.
Speaker 1: Thomas said he hasn't ruled out bringing back Russell Wilson or Justin Fields are both.
Speaker 2: He also has it ruled out moving on for both of them bringing in a new starter.
Speaker 1: We don't have a quarterback under contract, Tomlin said, We're certainly open to considering those guys.
Speaker 2: We have a lot of work ahead of us.
Speaker 1: Shortly there after, the Steelers did sign bring in Skyler Thompson, so they do have a quarterback under contract at least. Thomas said the Steelers had a lot of work to do before free agency of the draft to determine which quarterbacks are available. Realistically, it's hard to believe the Steelers would go into twenty twenty five with the Fields as their starter.
Speaker 2: I don't know about Wilson.
Speaker 1: As promising of the season as it appeared at times, no one could be satisfied, I think with the final result, although that may or may not have been on the quarterback. If you look, the defense really gave up the goods against the Ravens.
Speaker 2: SOS won advance past the wild card round.
Speaker 1: They're gonna have to find a long term answer there eventually.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, I mean, obviously they're going to have to find a long term answer. I don't think if they run him back with Russ that would be a bad idea, right because now they can sign him to a team fly deal and let me better, quarterbacks are getting eight nine million dollars.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of money to everyone else. Backup, money is says ten million on these days.
Speaker 1: Starting quarterbacks start in the late twenties, early thirties on.
Speaker 2: Up to sixteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but at this particular point where Russ is, I'm sure he would if the Sales offered him a two year deal that pays him ten million dollars a year, he would take it. Maybe maybe we once again you asked that question.
Speaker 2: You keep that tired down the road, But it's about.
Speaker 3: Trying to fix your defense, add some valuable wide receivers to go with.
Speaker 1: The pass catchers. If yeah, whoever me is going to be the quarterback there. That's that's that much is very obvious. And I don't know. George Pickens is so mercurial. I don't know if you can count on him, as you know, he's your wide receiver one, but I don't if you count on If you're bringing Russ back, why not make a play for Courton Sun.
Speaker 2: I mean that is Hey, I'm sure the Broncos got to pick their interests. Yeah, for the right draft pick, I think everybody'd be happy there we'll see four.
Speaker 1: The Bears completed their interview tonight with Broncos senior personnel executive David Shaw for their vacant head coaching job.
Speaker 2: Jaw who's fifty two.
Speaker 1: With Stanford's head coach from twenty eleven to twenty twenty two, compiling a ninety six and fifty four record with the Cardinal three packed twelve conference titles. Before returning to his own monitor coach in two thousand and seventy, he was in his NFL assistant with the Eagles, Raiders, and Ravens. He officially joined the Broncos back in June of last year. The Bears have completed interviews with interim head coach Thomas Brown, former Seahawks coach Pete Carroll, Lions defensive coordinator Aaron Glenn, Lands offensive coordinator Ben Johnson, Giants offensive coordinator Mike Kafka, Cardinals offensive cordator Drew Petsing, former Commanders and Panthers head coach Ron Rivera, and Dolphins defensive coordinator Anthony Weaver. They also talked to Mike Rabel before the Patriots hired him. They still have interview requests out for Iowa State at coach Matt Campbell. Viking's defensive coordinator Brian Lawrees was believed to be the leader in the clubhouse. There Notre Dame head coach Marcus Freeman, Commander's offensive coordator Kingsbury, former Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy, who will be on Wednesday, and Ravens offensive Quardner Todd Munkin, Steven's offensive cocording to Arthur Smith and Packer's offense acording to Adam Statovic as well. Bear's casting a wide wide net in the search. I think they want Ben Johnson, but the odds on favorite is Brian Flores here.
Speaker 2: How do you feel about that? Okay, let me go.
Speaker 3: Back to the David Shaw situation for a second. For those who don't really know David Shaw, and some fans may not look at him in this way, how would say you need to change your mind? Because I immediately go back to Andrew Luck. And we know what Andrew Luck was at Stanford and why the Coast Suck for Luck campaign was such a big thing, and the time that Andrew Luck was with David Shaw.
Speaker 2: I mean, he said a lot of records. So even if David.
Speaker 3: Shaw does not become someone of a head coach in this league. To me, I think some mu should give him an opportunity to be an offensive coordinated because he has shown that he has the capabilities to work with young quarterbacks. At Chicago Bears, they have a young quarterback in Cable Williams.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do. And and that's the thing. The question, though there is is the run.
Speaker 1: Of poles and whether or not you're aligned, you know, I mean, is that is that?
Speaker 2: First of all, here's what you have to ask yourself. You Ryan Post, are you trying to save your job?
Speaker 3: I'm to you there have been two head coaches who've been fired, right, so you're trying to do whatever you can to make your quarterback look great because you had justin fields when you're coming.
Speaker 2: To set him up right and your coach look great. That's the thing. So it's it.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you're a if you're a Ben Johnson, you're taking that job.
Speaker 2: Knowing that poll that you know that polls.
Speaker 3: I mean, no, you know you're you're not because you want to make sure that you have someone tied to you. So the idea, if the Bear is going to do it, you hire Ben Johnson and guy with Ben Johnson the Hide.
Speaker 2: This guy, who you know a team like the Raiders certainly has the ability.
Speaker 5: To do five.
Speaker 1: AJ Brown has started his one Book book club. The one Book AJ Brown book Club has boosted Inner Excellence to the top of the Amazon bestseller list. The e book is nine to ninety nine and it said non fiction.
Speaker 2: It was buried down there at like five hundred thousand or whatever.
Speaker 1: The best part of all this is at Brown's habit of reading between drives has sparked at least interest for now in reading, which can be a nice diversion to whatever's going on in anyone else's life.
Speaker 2: But are you buying this AJ Brown? Reading this book on the sideline? What is with this motivational ploy?
Speaker 1: I mean, but for me, I'm like, well, if that's what it takes to get you motivated to so be it.
Speaker 2: I don't know that I would need that. But okay, well, once.
Speaker 3: Again, your situation may be different from his, as it may be for anyone else.
Speaker 2: But for me, I'm like, do whatever.
Speaker 3: Floats your boat as long as there's not a distraction to the team.
Speaker 2: It's not like he was eating a hot dog on the sideline or whatever.
Speaker 3: I mean, he was a little frustrated that he was not as involved, or if that means that he has to go read some book.
Speaker 2: Some chapters here are excellence.
Speaker 3: Whatever it is, as long as he's not distracting the team, what's.
Speaker 2: The harm in doing it? What is it? I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'd be listening to the take of a Granted podcast personally, well, and.
Speaker 3: I'm sure if someone found that out, they would say, well, why has it been You have to listen to the take of the Granted.
Speaker 2: Podcast to kind of get him gold because I got to find out the latest from Grant's minute. I gotta hear that in my life. So as much as oh that's all I said, just say, that's what I need. That's the motivation of my life. I need. All right, This is a wild story here.
Speaker 1: Last year's Wildcard game between the Dolphins and Cheese featured temperatures that were pretty cold, bone and chilling cold. Some fans who attended the game developed frostbite. There were reports of amputations, although that specific remains unclear. A new article from ESPN looks back at the Deep Freeze playoff game, and it adds something new that in January twenty sixteen, Open Air playoff game in Minnesota, the last played outdoors before the opening of the dome that replaced the Metrodome. The Seahawks safety Cam Chancellor's case of thing your tip frostbite had amputation on the table. The Canceler said, I had never had frost bite, and I was like, wait, are y'all gonna cut.
Speaker 2: My fingers off?
Speaker 1: At the time, he posted photos of his fingertips for the skin peeling beneath the nail. Although he wore gloves during the game, the damage occurred due to sweat that froze inside the gloves. Canceler said, you're out there playing that cold weather, You're out there sweating, and then once you take a time out, you're standing or sitting.
Speaker 2: Down, all that sweat is on you. It's cold, it makes the sweat worse.
Speaker 1: So the potential for playing games and ultra cold conditions has obviously increased. Now the season has banded into seventeen games. It will get worse if it when another game is added to the schedule. As noted by ESPN, the league monitors weather patterns with two or three alternate stadium reserved in the.
Speaker 2: Event a game must be moved.
Speaker 1: Given last year's weather issues at the Wildcard involving the Dolphins Chiefs, which was not moved or delayed, and the Steelers' bills, which was delayed by a day. The league started planning for playoff weather contingencies earlier as normal this year, the NFL has never had a temperature or wind chill minimum, and after that, had the chance, I probably should have established one. And while fans attend open air games with full knowledge of the conditions and assuming full risk of potential consequences, a decision to play the game at the scheduled time in that venue carries with it an implication that's safe for human beings to attend. Even if no one could ever credibly claim that the league is a legal obligation reschedule it, there's kind of a moral obligation here.
Speaker 2: When do we think about Cam Chancellor getting frost.
Speaker 1: Bite from playing in a game and fans getting frost bite and having to have amputations just to watch football.
Speaker 3: Well, the idea is from the league is whatever, man, Because do you remember the Ice Bowl December thirty first, nineteen sixty seven.
Speaker 2: I rememb remember when I was in attendance, obviously thirteen years before I record not.
Speaker 3: From from that particular standpoint, But you can always go back and google the coldest game in NFL history.
Speaker 2: I mean, the.
Speaker 3: NFL is going to play games no matter what, right, I mean, there was a Fighters Los Angeles that displayed so many people they just moved to Arizona because the game is cold and the cold climate, whether it's in Green Bay, Chicago, Seattle, Denver, wherever, all of a sudden, that's going to change the m of the league. No. And for those fans. This is why I love Broncos fans because they endure the cold weather. They're out there, you know, all bundle up. But I always wonder this Ben right, when they build these new stadiums.
Speaker 2: They make it sight state of the art.
Speaker 3: Why is it that they never make like plug in seats like for cold weather and you can even sell them at the premium right when you can see the tickets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you have to make sure those seats are working all Like you put heaters in the seats, you get those heated cushions.
Speaker 2: That's what they should do, is get he could buy sell those or rentals to you. Let you put those. You go something and you look at the stating at the Broncos.
Speaker 3: Some of those places have little outlets like where you could plug things in.
Speaker 2: You can plug them right there, plug it, there you are, there you go.
Speaker 3: So now you're not worried about frostbite. Carries about frost bike. You have seen those those big airplane like blowers on the.
Speaker 2: Sideline, the heat heat stuff on them, and then you.
Speaker 1: Get those those big jackets that you could put on that have the thing hooked up to him. But the problem with that is just like when you if you get too hot in there and you sweat, you go out of the cold to do to get a chancered you freeze.
Speaker 2: You know what.
Speaker 3: Earlier this season there were there were a couple of cold games in Steve Batward and I was standing on the sideline, you know, waiting to our sideline hit, and I'm waiting for Steve to come.
Speaker 2: But he's standing by the blower. Yeah. I'm like, that's that's that's a whole page right there. He was standing by the blower.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 2: Yes, I said, be doing. I'm gonna pust kids here later. Yeah, you can stand there, I said, Steve, you played in Denver, you used to be used to it.
Speaker 3: He's like, man, oh, it's cold, cold, Yes about the heater, standing by.
Speaker 2: The heat and elbowing. People have to wait to stand by the heater. Said that are going out there half time? Well no, I'm covering myself off out a spot here. That's the friendiment, all one thing to do. Yeah, push the kid out of the way, just to bom you from the city. Yes, the Broncos Country nine rolls side up to this. Your soul is mine.