Speaker 1: The Mandy Connell Show is sponsored by Belle and Pollock Accident and injury Lawyers.
Speaker 2: No, it's Mandy Connell. Andy Ton.
Speaker 3: On KOAM ninety one FM.
Speaker 4: Got to say, can the nice because Fred Andy Donald Keithing sad day.
Speaker 5: Well, welcome, Welcome to a Monday edition of the show. I'm your host, Mandy Connell and joining me award winner from the Colorado Broadcast Association for Best Use of Social Media, that would be Anthony Rodriguez. We call him a rod and today we are going to take you through a Monday that started with me pretty much and only ladies will understand what I am about to say. Well, ladies and drag queens, we'll understand what I'm about to say. Ladies, my Monday getting ready for work and I fully stabbed myself in the eye with a mask ear wine. This is a uniquely female issue. And at the age of fifty five, I've been wearing makeup now for about forty years roughly, and you think this would never happen again, But oh no it did. So I can only partially see out of my right eye, still a little fuzzy on that one. Anthony Rodriguez was not there Saturday night when KOA had a bang up night at the Colorado Broadcaster Association Awards. What he won an award?
Speaker 2: Anyway, Hey, I had a good excuse.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you had a great excuse.
Speaker 5: He was he was doing the video work for our big boss's daughter's wedding. So if there's never made a better excuse than that one, I don't know what there is. But I was so excited a Rod. I was so excited. I felt like I won the award. I did not eight Rod won the award, but I texted him right away and let him know that he won.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it.
Speaker 5: And then the big awesome picture of his plaque that he gets and everything. And then and then I won an award and that I didn't even know I was nominated for US and that was fantastic, thanks to one Rob Dawson who submitted our coverage of the Trump assassination for the best Coverage of a breaking news event, and we won that. And then KOWAY one Station of the Year. And I just want to say this on the air, in addition to the people that you hear on the air here at KOWA, there are so many people working in the background that don't necessarily get a lot of credit, one of them being our program director Dave Tepper, who, in the few years that he's been here has really worked with each and every program and host and news team. I mean, he works with everybody to make this station the best it can be.
Speaker 3: Of KOA in the last couple of years thanks to that guy. Let me tell you, I want.
Speaker 5: To make sure he gets a little love and credit on that today because that is definitely at his direction. A lot of hurting kittens going on behind the scenes, but he has hearded them.
Speaker 6: All very very well.
Speaker 5: So, uh, let's talk about the blog for a second, because I've got one, you know, I do, you know I do. Find the blog by going to mandy'sblog dot com. That's mandy'sblog dot com. Look for the headline that says four seven twenty five blog a capital update and a one hundred year old company. Click on that and here are the headlines you will find within.
Speaker 2: Fifty tariff on this sound effect tech.
Speaker 7: To a winner, I think.
Speaker 2: On with ships and clipmas of say that's going to.
Speaker 8: Press play.
Speaker 5: Today on the blog. Congrats to KOA. The second episode of the Side Hustle is out. Kevin Lundberg is covering the capital. We share a birthday with Polydori sausage. Democrats have killed real estate development in Denver. I'm doing a little survey. It's time to end the lawsuits by the GOP. The mayor's office has been deleting more signal messages.
Speaker 6: If you miss me with Ross Friday.
Speaker 5: A judge stops a reservoir expansion, will the governor listened? In ninety five thousand Colorados, the incompetent Jenni Griswold is running for Attorney General. John caldera yearns for Liberals. Are you going on vacation this year? How Jeffrey Goldberg got added to the chat. Val Kilmer's last social post, you better be ready for the Drake Passage.
Speaker 6: How to not raise entitled.
Speaker 5: Jerks, the weird stuff people will admit to. How to keep your cheese fresh longer? Are we headed to another housing problem? Two different takes on the Trump Trade Wars. Super Baby reporting for duty North Glenn is coming for your pets.
Speaker 6: A sneaky trick to.
Speaker 5: Avoid nasty gas station bathrooms. Those are the headlines on the blog at mandy'sblog dot com. Somebody asked on the common spiritelf text line you can always text us. At five sixty six, nine to zero, someone said, did you accept the award on.
Speaker 6: Eight Rod's behalf? I did not.
Speaker 5: I made Dave Tepper go up and Nick supt nice. You know, I wouldn't expose the big boss she'd have been accepting it. Yes, I would have felt like I was stepping on it somehow if I went up to accept it. M Mandy, I do that all the time and wonder why I make such a rookie mistake with the mascara.
Speaker 6: I poke.
Speaker 5: After decades of practice, I like knowing I'm not alone with that gaff.
Speaker 6: Thank you, Mandy. I'm here for you.
Speaker 3: I feel like when I did musicals in high school, I probably did that, and I remember it not being a great feeling either.
Speaker 5: When you are young and you're just learning how to put mascara on, I would say probably a minimum of once a month for like the first two years. But I cannot remember the last time I stabbed myself in the eye with mascara. I can't remember the last time, and today it was a whopper, like just into my eye kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Thank the Lord, the FCC wasn't listening.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, Mandy, women have unique problems like mascara, but I haven't heard of any women accidentally getting their whip caught in a zipper. Yeah yeah, oh yeah, Mandy, I think you're about ten Bosch moves is behind Ross. I know you're competitive, so I just wanted to give you a heads up. We all need a better contract next time, and there's only so much money to go around. No, we don't negotiate with our boss contract. Yeah, we do that other stuff on that Now, guys, we had a lot of stuff on the blog today and a lot of stuff to talk about. We are going to talk with Kevin Lundberg. Pretty excited about that. Kevin was a long time legislator and he started the Lundberg Report, and on Monday morning at seven thirty am, he does this zoom meeting where you can just log on and hear what's happening in the Colorado Capitol and what we are facing as people who live here. And just when I think they can't get worse, they prove me wrong. So we're gonna talk to Kevin today at twelve thirty about what's happening in the capitol right now.
Speaker 6: They adjourned yesterday or they didn't adjourned.
Speaker 5: They gabbled in yesterday in order to talk about an extremely extremely onerous bill that would essentially say, if you're a parent and you're in a divorced situation and the other parent decides your kid is trans and decides to affirm it, and you say, wait a minute, maybe the kid's just having some gender dysphoria. Maybe we should get him or her some therapy to maybe help them come to terms with their gender. Knowing that eighty percent of children you experience gender dysphoria when not affirmed, eventually reconcile with their same gender. Now a judge will use that against you in a custody hearing.
Speaker 6: You heard me, right, If.
Speaker 5: You don't affirm your child, a child from I don't know, a three or four year old maybe who decides they're another gender, if you don't immediately go along with it, the judge can.
Speaker 6: Use it to take your kids away from you.
Speaker 5: So, yeah, Mandy, in today's age, is it truly a woman's only experience to poke yourself in the eye that way? I did say drag queens, su Mandy, were you driving while putting on mascara?
Speaker 6: I do it?
Speaker 5: I know where my eyelashes are no, I try to what's the words I'm looking for? Drive safely, That's what I'm trying to do there. I don't put on makeup in the car. First of all, I'm really afraid I'm gonna look like Mimi from the Drew Carey Show, right, like makeup should require a little attention. Mandy. All men cringe at the caught in the zipper. Thanks for that, and I just made you cringe twice. Lots of leg crossing going on right now across the Metro area. Now, I'm super excited. Now, you guys may know, if you listen to the station, you know that Koa turned one hundred a hundred this year, actually technically last year, but we're celebrating this year because it happened in December and that's where Christmas is and.
Speaker 6: So you know how it goes.
Speaker 5: But I thought it would be fun to have Polydory Sausage come in because you know why, they too are one hundred years old right now, one hundred years old. So hang on, this is gonna be really weird. Erod, I need you to reach out to hang on one second. I'm gonna find out if I need you to do this. I have to do it now.
Speaker 2: I'm not.
Speaker 5: It's never mine. Ignore me. Nothing to see. Something caught my eye on television that I thought we needed to address.
Speaker 6: I was wrong. We don't need to address it. It's over.
Speaker 2: It's over, Mandy.
Speaker 5: I don't want to throw anyone under the bus. With the show on Friday, the audio signal was very garbled. We know this, but it was I think weather related because we use a over the ear machine. Now, I mean, I leave it to my technical skills. What do we use to get back to the station. We were not hooked into a hard wire.
Speaker 3: We might have been hardwired. I don't know if Shannon had us hardwired out there.
Speaker 6: I don't think we were.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure. Oh regardless, Yeah, no one's fault. It was either lack of hardwire or weather or both. Yeah, possible.
Speaker 5: So we do the best we can. We do the best we can, and we appreciate how annoying that is. We do appreciate it. Now, Polydori is coming in at one o'clock eight r They're bringing us some.
Speaker 2: Sausage, bringing you some sausage.
Speaker 5: No, you're gonna have a little taste in sausage.
Speaker 3: I'm in the extreme calorie defict right now, even more so this week because vacationioning this weekend.
Speaker 5: Where are you going this weekend? Ve Oh gosh, everybody, look out in Vegas. The road's on the way.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 5: There's a story that I want to get to.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 6: First of all, I'm doing a little survey and.
Speaker 5: I don't wanna. I don't wanna. I don't want to give you more than this. And it's on my Facebook page at Mandy Connell. If you went to course Field this weekend and you've got food, I want to know what you ordered and what you thought of it.
Speaker 6: I'm just curious.
Speaker 3: Well, you already know Rob got the what is it? What taco in the bag? Walk taco walking taco and then the.
Speaker 6: Strawberries on the I should have done the walk in taco.
Speaker 3: You liked it, You like the strawberry on the stack more. I Well, I'm not going to get that video for a quick ninety second review at Kaylee Colorado on our socials.
Speaker 5: There you go, award winning Socials Award. Yeah, award winning social Media. Thank you, Mandy. I'm waiting for the first parents to say, okay, fine, the kid is yours and give them to the state.
Speaker 6: That's where we're going.
Speaker 5: Oh to the person who said, Mandy, you don't even need mascara, you have a natural beauty.
Speaker 6: You are so sweet.
Speaker 5: But I have no eyelashes, and the eyelashes that I have are blonde, so you literally can't see them at all. Seriously, but I appreciate you. That's very sweet, very very sweet. I want to talk about this story that was in the Denver Gazette yesterday, but go to at Mandy Connell Facebook to participate in my survey. I actually embedded it on the blog today. If you want to just click that. You can go right over to it. And I'd like to know, but only if you went to the stadium. I'm just curious and we'll talk about those results later in the week. Yesterday in the Denver Gazette, there was a headline front page story that the poll quote.
Speaker 6: Listen to the headline of this story.
Speaker 5: It says, I can't do business in Denver now developers blame energy regulations as commercial projects decline in Colorado.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 5: Ross on his show earlier said that there was two buildings downtown on seventeenth Street that I believe and these no don't I know I don't have the numbers exactly right.
Speaker 6: But they're close enough.
Speaker 5: Sold for like one hundred and twenty million back in two thousand and eight or two thousand and nine. Okay, so these two buildings sold for under twenty million, and of the two thousands and now they just sold both of them for three point two million dollars. And I think a big part of that is what's covered in this article. In their zeal to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, Colorado and Denver especially have passed such onerous regulations that demand that carbon emissions from larger commercial buildings be cut by thirty percent by twenty thirty and by eighty percent by twenty forty. Now, the buildings that Ross was talking about, one of those was built in nineteen fifty seven. Okay, there's a zero percent chance it has any sort of energy efficiency whatsoever.
Speaker 6: Zero percent.
Speaker 5: The other one I think was built in the eighties. And again my numbers are just from memorizing what Ross sent on his show, and he didn't spend that.
Speaker 6: Much time on it. These buildings are gonna have.
Speaker 5: To be completely gutted, taken down to the studs, as they say, and retrofitted with all of this new energy stuff. Of course, the building's sold for three point two million dollars, it's gonna cost fifty million dollars to bring them up to where they need to be.
Speaker 6: What does this mean for.
Speaker 5: The rest of the older buildings in downtown Denver. Let me share some of this article with you because it's incredibly important, especially as we try to revitalize downtown Denver. When I believe we are going to have a just an epic level of build bildings for sale that no one wants.
Speaker 6: From the Denver Gazette.
Speaker 5: While Colorado is earning praise from climate advocates for its new mandates to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, developers and their economists are giving D and F grades to the state and its capital city, blaming the regulations for a noticeable decline in some projects. Representatives for developers and property owners are flagging new data showing a marked drop off in investment in revenues from commercial projects in Colorado. That decline, they said, follows directly on the heels of Colorado's adoption of some of the nations And they say boldest, but let's be real, strictest carbon reducing strategies. The regulations include the Energized Denver Ordinance adopted unanimously by the Denver City Council in twenty twenty one that seeks to reduce carbon emissions from larger commercial buildings by thirty percent in twenty thirty and by eighty percent in twenty forty. Then in twenty twenty three, the Colorado legislature said, hold my beer, just kidding, it doesn't say that. In twenty twenty three, the Colorado Air Control Way air Quality Control Commission issued its own statewide carbon reduction package, known as RAG twenty eight, after a landmark climate bill was passed by the legislature in twenty twenty one. Impacts of both measures are now looming in the windshield of investors, property owners, and developers as they decide whether to invest in large properties here and put a pencil to costs. Last year, industry groups filed a lawsuit against both initiatives, but a federal judge has now dismissed that action. Meanwhile, in early March, Denver Mayor Mike Johnson announced a loosening of deadlines and penalties cited in the Energized Denver mandate. Neither correction is likely to curb complaints by owners and developers as they weigh the impacts on the health of the state's economy. I'm the biggest evangelist that Denver has ever had, and I can't do business in Denver now, developer Andrew Feinstein, the CEO and managing partner of Exto Group, which is heavily involved in Denver's burgeoning Rhino District, told the Denver Gazette last week. Feinstein is among a number of developers, owners, brokers, and trade representatives who have spoken out as costs of the regulations take shape. A new study released by NAO APP, which represents the national commercial real estate industry, shows a sharp lag in economic contributions to Colorado made by the commercial development sector in comparison to those of similar Rocky Mountain states that lack the ambitious carbon initiatives. One year ago. Naop's fifty state data has showed that the input to Colorado's broader economy from development improvement of hotels, apartments, large retail and offices totaled fourteen point eight one billion dollars. This year that sector fell or last year that sector fell to six point six seven billion. That's a fifty five percent drop. You guys, you've got to read the rest of this. And I sent this article to brite Horne this morning, and I said, this is an opportunity, This is an opportunity for Republicans, because every time I turn around, there's another news story about how Democratic policies have destroyed the business environment in Colorado. They are chasing business not just out of Denver, but now out of the state. You know what Utah has seen in that kind of development, It is increased, multifold favorable impacts from commercial development. In twenty twenty four, Other nearby states show some decline, accept nothing on the order of Colorado's sizable losses. And here's where it gets good, you guys. Here's where it gets good.
Speaker 2: They went to.
Speaker 5: Elizabeth Bapcott, an executive director of Denver's Office of Climate Action, Sustainability and Resilience, and you know what she responded. When developers are literally he's saying we can't do business in Denver because.
Speaker 6: Of this, she says, correlation.
Speaker 5: It's not causation, except it is. It is, right, that's what they're saying. They're literally saying it's the cause. We'll get back to this a little bit later. You really should read it. But what an opportunity for Republicans, What an opportunity to run on making Colorado great for business again. Oh it could be glorious because guess what, you guys, all of these costs that these people are gonna have to pay. Who do you think is going to end up footing the bill for those costs in the long run? Spoiler alert, it's not the businesses. Joining me now is a guy who was He was making the sausage there for sixteen years, and now he's out of the sausage making arena and into the sausage viewing arena. His most excellent Lundberg Report and the meeting that he does on Monday mornings to kind of bring everybody up to speed is absolutely worth your time and joining me now to talk about it. Kevin Lendbergh, Welcome to the show. It's been a very long while, sir.
Speaker 8: Well, thank you, Mandy.
Speaker 9: It's a pleasure to be on here and to you know, well, it's not a pleasure to discuss what they're doing down in the legislature, but I'm glad you're giving some attention to what they are doing because it's very important to every citizen.
Speaker 5: Now, Kevin, you were in the legislature for sixteen years, and you were I'm just going to call it the Bridge years, right, the Bridge years where we went from a more evenly divided house, Republicans in charge sometimes of the House and the Senate, a far more reasonable in my view, these are opinion based statements, of course, a far more reasonable group of Democrats that were liberals but not hardcore left wing progressives. And in the ensuing years we have seen the hard left take over the Colorado Democratic part as it is beginning to take over the National Democratic Party.
Speaker 6: And the difference here.
Speaker 5: Is that our state legislature is completely controlled, almost to the point of a veto proof majority, very very close Republicans have been sidelined. And when you look at where we are now compared to how it was when you were in office, how, I mean, how different is it? What are we really looking at?
Speaker 8: Almost like night and day.
Speaker 9: Quite frankly, I entered the legislature in two thousand and three, elected in two two, of course, and.
Speaker 8: Turned out in twenty eighteen.
Speaker 9: And in those sixteen years, ten of them were in the minority in the body I was in, and six were in the majority. So I saw a little bit of everything, which quite right. Back in two three when I entered, we had a Republican governor and control of the Senate and the House, and it well, the Senate was a little close. The almost felt bulletproof. But a whole lot of political manipulation occurred in the two thousand and four election and suddenly we found ourselves in the minority and essentially stayed there since then.
Speaker 8: But you're quite right.
Speaker 9: In twenty nineteen is when things really took off. And hmm, seems like we changed governorship at that point too, but we'll set that aside for the moment, and I'll simply say that I have been appalled, not just with the bills, but with the process. This is something that I learned that the legislative process is supposed to be a slow grinding system that allows everybody a place at the table. Now, the majority opinion prevails, but not after everybody else has been able to voice their opinions, and oftentimes some you know, negotiations, some amendments and things.
Speaker 8: Like that occur.
Speaker 9: And that's what I saw the sixteen years I was there. But it's been breathtaking since then.
Speaker 5: Let's start with what happened yesterday on a Sunday morning, when good, God fearing people are at church, the Colorado Legislature gabbled itself into session for what purpose?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Well, and I would say including Scott Bottoms, who is a representative and a pastor of a church, and so he wasn't there because he had a pulpit to fill.
Speaker 7: But the.
Speaker 9: Dramatic some of the traumatic transgender bills were in third reading as well as a couple of other bills, one to eighty three being the one that actually implements funding of abortions with taxpayer dollars. Now we knew they had the votes, we knew it was going to pass on the third reading is the final vote, and this for.
Speaker 8: The House bills.
Speaker 9: Then it goes on to the Senate for the Senate bill, which was one eighty three. The House was now approving that as well. But what really was appalling to me was they did not allow any debate to occur for these bills on third reading. See, there's a there's a technique you can do. You can call the question and then it immediately goes to a vote of the House. Shall we vote now? And of course the D's followed in lockstep. Well almost I understand five of them said no. Uh. I was in those shoes once in two of three, and I said no to the to the call of the question because I think both sides need to have the opportunity to talk. But they just shut everything down and voted straight up. The arrogance and the the unbelievable misuse the legislative process, it's just appalling.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, I'm going to reflect back to the big debate, and I'm gonna put debate in air quotes about SB three, that SB twenty five three, the absolutely gross and unconstitutional gun bill that was going to pass. And I have to wonder, Kevin, because we saw lots of people that were up in the gallery taking pictures of democratic legislatures during the alleged debate. They were playing candy crush. One of the legislators had a sticker book. She was out putting stickers in her sticker book. They were no more paying attention to the people that were testifying against that bill. So maybe they just decided to end the charade, like they're not going to listen. They know they have the votes, so why bother even giving the impression that they give a rat's ass what the other people who may have voted for a different party.
Speaker 8: Well, that's one way to describe it. I'll tell you.
Speaker 9: It's you know, when you're in the majority, you do get a little bit cocky on okay, we can get away with this and get away with that. And it's it's human nature for some of that to occur. But you're quite right, it has reached a point and there actually there's actually another side to this too that that I greatly disagree with, and that is when COVID hit, the legislature decided.
Speaker 8: That they just go online.
Speaker 9: Now, online is great to allow citizens to come and testifying committee, but for legislators to think they can legislate from home over.
Speaker 8: You know, Zoom's great works in a lot of.
Speaker 9: You know, you talked about that Monday morning call I have, but we do that on Zoom and it's an incredible place for conversation to occur, but it is a lousy place for legislation, and it degrades the the the process. You know, people are somewhat surprised when they watch the legislature in action because there's a lot of talking on the side and there's a lot of not playing candy Crush on your computer, by the way, But but there is a lot of things going on that has to happen in order for everybody to give their input and to understand what others are talking about as well.
Speaker 8: That's gone away. I'm yeah, you're right.
Speaker 9: They've turned the legislature into a charade, and I believe the people of Colorado are starting to wake up, even as we see across the nation a whole lot of political change changes. Well, twenty twenty six just might be a very interesting election year.
Speaker 5: What are some of the big, big things that you've been keeping your eye on in this legislative session. Obviously, the gun bill is a big one. We're still waiting to see if the governor is going.
Speaker 2: To veto that.
Speaker 9: Well, yeah, but you know it's gun bills plural. Yeah, there are nine bad bills. Let me go back to you. You mentioned my report that I published every week, and I do it year round, but when the legislature's in session, I try to look at every bill and identify what I consider good bills and bad bills, and then I track them through the process.
Speaker 8: Well, and I came up with a couple of other categories.
Speaker 9: One woke bills and and what was the other one? A dumb and dangerous bills of course, because some of them are just so over the top.
Speaker 8: But yuh, forget me. I forgot where I was headed.
Speaker 6: Just talking about the gun bills. We started with.
Speaker 9: Nine yea, yeah, there are eight or nine gun bills that that are designed to choke down the citizen's ability to actually bear arms and be able to defend themselves and their family.
Speaker 8: Gun bills.
Speaker 9: There have been a long list of bills going after the rental industry. You know, it has gone to the point that that I know a lot of people who have had rental properties in Colorado that said I'm getting out of here because it is so unreasonable. There's there's a bills that deal with the whole global warming. I'm going to call it hoax, you know, I'll just tell you where I think. And so you see a lot of bad bills going that way. And then there's the whole transgender issue that's primarily being pushed in our public schools. There are many many There's a bill out there right now that will allow a death certificate to not reflect the actual sex of an individual, but will give their preference instead. It's just kind of like bizarre because it's you know, you're not really honoring that person one way or the other. You're changing an official document that's used by medicine to determine why people die of certain diseases, and you take out there you know, you know, I mean this stuff. You just can't make it up. Really, they've gone so far. So that's kind of of a quick snapshot on some of the badills. But you know, when I go down the list, it really covers about every area of life here in Colorado. Kevin, Oh, I want to go after Tabor.
Speaker 5: Well, we've got another lossing about that, Kevin. What I'd love to do is have you on on a more regular basis where we can kind of have a deeper conversation about this. We're out of town right now, so I'll follow up and we're going to get you scheduled for a regular check in because I don't want to do what you're doing. Follow the Colorado legislature are close, so I will I will w my CUB reporter and let you handle that from now on.
Speaker 9: Okay, fair enough, Well, it does take a few late nights to get it done, but.
Speaker 6: I bet it does.
Speaker 5: You can subscribe to the Lundberg Report just click on the link that I put there and strongly recommended. He's doing a great job and everybody needs to know because some of this stuff is just bad news.
Speaker 6: Kevin, we will talk to you again soon.
Speaker 8: Thank you very much.
Speaker 6: All Right, that's Kevin Lendbergh. We'll be right back.
Speaker 5: Award winning koa social media like on platforms like x you can go see a video of Kaminski doing a cartwheel and I ay, Rod, do you think it's because maybe he had a video of a little girl tried to do a.
Speaker 6: Cartwheel and she faced planted.
Speaker 2: That is what Dragon told me. I did see the video.
Speaker 3: I haven't watched it yet, but I guess they got into a conversation about the inability or ability, and I say ability to do cartwheel.
Speaker 5: I'm at the ability because Ross, that's impressive. Ross know how to do a cartwheels.
Speaker 6: We're just guessing.
Speaker 2: I mean he obviously knew, because no, I.
Speaker 5: Mean he understood the concept. But that doesn't mean he's.
Speaker 3: Ever done a cartwheel. He said he hadn't done one in forty years.
Speaker 5: Okay, I think I've done one in the last six months. So I are you gonna come out videotape me because I will Rob Dawson. If we're going to maintain Station of the year. Yeah, we've got to keep the bar high.
Speaker 3: Well, Ross set the bar high, because that was a damn good card work for.
Speaker 6: A dude that doesn't really cartwheel.
Speaker 5: That was a fine, fine card with really really good I mean for a professional male gymnast, No it was not. But for a guy who doesn't do cartwheels, yes, pretty amazing, absolutely amazing.
Speaker 6: So I bet my cart was gonna.
Speaker 2: Be better than We got a rating on X a two point five. I don't know if that's out of ten or out of five.
Speaker 5: Actually the Russian judge gave it a two point so you probably don't even get that reference to you. Do you get the reference when somebody says the Russian judge gives it a two point five. Okay, Back in the day, during the Cold War, the Olympics always went like this, And I'm gonna use women's gymnastics as an example.
Speaker 6: Because this is how it always went.
Speaker 5: You would have an American gymnast out there, they would you know, do their stuff, and then and then the scores would be like and the schools are eight point five, nine point one, nine point two, nine point seven, nine point one, and the Russian judge gives it a four point one. It was like, whatever we did, Russia gave us like a four point one. And it was always the Russian judge was always being harsh and awful. So that was just a Russian judge weighing in on Ross's car.
Speaker 3: Well, in spirit, any submission, we'll receive a ten. Then we'll actually rate it. If you want to put it on X went out there. Oh yeah, just tag us use the hashtag Kaway Cartwheel Challenge.
Speaker 5: And I'm just gonna let you guys know, I don't know if you if I've ever said this on the radio. My my very first job that I got a paycheck for.
Speaker 6: I worked for the.
Speaker 5: Woman that I had taken gymnastics from for years. But then I got really tall and it was pretty much like, you're never gonna do anything with this.
Speaker 6: So then I started teaching.
Speaker 5: I was fourteen years old, ye and I had a class of three to five year olds and the whole class was mostly me teaching cartwheels and pulling leotards out of little tushies. That was the whole class. That was what I made my three dollars and thirty five cents an hour.
Speaker 2: Yeah, doing, we'll spice up litt'll have some fun with it too. Why not?
Speaker 3: Because I want to see if anyone else can do you?
Speaker 2: Hell no, why not? I'm doing.
Speaker 3: I'm sure I can, but I'm not going to risk breaking something here.
Speaker 5: What has ever broken something doing?
Speaker 2: I don't want to fall on my net. Just your pride, Okay.
Speaker 3: So if we get a decent amount of of missions, people giving us their best cartwheels, the best cartwheel will come play against Manyon of the day, either zoom or in person this week.
Speaker 2: Oh that would be cool. At some point maybe.
Speaker 5: They can cartwheel, but they don't want the pressure of the day. Well, you don't have to say yes.
Speaker 3: You don't have to say yes, but you do have to send us your cartwheels.
Speaker 5: This text on the last comment that Kevin just made Mandy. If I can list preferences on my death certificate, I'd probably prefer to be listed as alive. Well done, Texter. When we get back, Koa is one hundred you know who else is one hundred Polydory sausage and they're outside with sausage. So we're going to have them on how do you stay in business for one hundred years? And more importantly, how do you keep it a family business for one hundred years? That's all coming up next and sausage right here on KOA.
Speaker 1: The Mandy Connell Show is sponsored by Bell and Pollock Accident and injury Lawyers.
Speaker 2: No, it's Mandy Connell and KOA ninety one FM.
Speaker 4: Got to stay the nice you're sad bab.
Speaker 5: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome to the second hour of the show. I'm your host, Mandy Connell. Anthony Rodriguez right over there. We are KAWA Radio Station of the Year. We just were named that on Saturday Night. I'm just going to keep mentioning it because it's awesome, because it is our one hundredth birthday this year, and it takes a lot to stay in business for one hundred years, whether you're a radio station or you're making sausage. And joining me now two members of a family that have been making sausage in Colorado for one hundred years. Melody Polar Wait, oh yeah, turner Ning, Polydori poldor is it Polydori?
Speaker 6: Is it polydor.
Speaker 5: Polydori Harris and her brother, Steve Polyodori here to talk about Polydori Sausage, which has been around for one hundred years now. Who wants to start by telling me the family lore behind the sausage company?
Speaker 7: Steve?
Speaker 10: Well, my great grandmother and grandfather started in a small grocery store fourth and show showing in nineteen twenty five. My grandmother brought her recipes over from Italy.
Speaker 5: And when did when did they immigrate? Did they both immigrate from Italy to the United States?
Speaker 8: Did?
Speaker 2: And they both went to Magna, Utah.
Speaker 10: And my great grandfather had worked in the copper mines and they moved to Colorado because you had black lung disease?
Speaker 2: Or what the heck do you?
Speaker 5: I mean, you come into Ellis Island and you immediately go Utah.
Speaker 6: That's where going? I mean, how did that happen? Magna, Utah?
Speaker 5: Magne, of course, I mean as one does when you go to Utah. Is there any other city in Utah other than Magna? Do you know how that decision was made?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 10: So that he was had bad lungs, came here for the cleaner air, obviously on the fighter air now, but.
Speaker 2: They started out at the little grocery store.
Speaker 10: And in nineteen forty eight, my great grandfather passed away and my grandfather and my uncle great uncle.
Speaker 2: Took it over, took the grocery store business over.
Speaker 10: So then in nineteen eighty two my great grandmother passed away, my grandfather started this little business.
Speaker 5: Wait a minute, so your great grandma how old was your great grandmother when she died nineties?
Speaker 6: Okay, so she was there for a lot of this.
Speaker 5: And Melody, I want to go to you. When you're born of Polydoro, is like they bring you over the hospital, Mandy Polydori.
Speaker 6: Palladori.
Speaker 5: Paulador I already told her I was going to ask her the name over and over again. I'm on brand, you, guys, is what I am?
Speaker 6: Who I am, what I do?
Speaker 2: Polydori?
Speaker 5: Why I eat your sausage all the time? I mean, I buy your sausage, so I'm familiar with it's a product. But when you read a name, you don't necessarily know how it hears. When you're born of Polydori, Polyodori, we're just going to move it from there. Are you come over from the hospital and they just give you a little sausage making kit right then to play with so you can get started in the family business. Sure, was there ever an assumption that you would not work in the business or was there pressure? I guess is what I'm asking to work in the business?
Speaker 2: Zero pressure, zero pressure.
Speaker 11: And I never graduated from college thinking that I would go work in the family business. I came to the family business in two thousand and two mostly because my brother wanted a little bit of help, and I had been working in other professional careers and consulting, and the opportunity presented itself. And I had always really sort of wanted to work in the family business, but I never thought I would really end.
Speaker 6: Up in the family business.
Speaker 5: And here you are these many years later. Now, Steve, when you I'm assuming you're the day to day guy, because I know that Melody.
Speaker 6: Is the chief sausage officer.
Speaker 5: Rich we'll find out more about those job responsibilities as a chief sausage officer. When you took over, when you assumed the helm, was it difficult because maybe you have some new ideas or maybe you want to change a few things. Was that transition challenging because you want to honor the tradition but also keep the company, you know, up to dat and current.
Speaker 10: Yeah, we automated the business, you know, as far as machinery and all that stuff that you know, pumps out all the little links and a little different shapes and sizes of sausage.
Speaker 2: That part was easy.
Speaker 10: It was just you know, dealing with a generational app with my grandfather generation skip and you know, him spending money in certain areas but not in other certain areas where they'd really needed to be spend. He was stepping on dollars to pick up pennies. Well, we got to move on.
Speaker 5: So when did your grandfather How long did he hang around the factory after he took over.
Speaker 10: He was eighty six when he retired. Oh my god, I bought him out. He was eighty six years old, and he hung out. He came down every almost every day until he passed away. He was ninety three when he passed away.
Speaker 5: You got an old.
Speaker 6: Sausage guy like that.
Speaker 5: He didn't have anything else on his plate, right, and he's going to come in, Yeah, make sure you're not ruining everything that he had built for so long.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 5: So, Melody, when you came in, what responsibilities did you take on?
Speaker 11: My immediate responsibility was to be dealing with the USDA. We had an audit at the time, and I can remember having an auditor who was really scared and I wasn't because I was blind and didn't know anything, and I had a training and education background and so I was very proficient in my softwork make changes on the fly.
Speaker 6: And he was like, oh my god, you can do that. Oh oh, and.
Speaker 11: Then he started to, you know, get a little bit calmer. So you know, it was I came in extremely blind, which it's probably better.
Speaker 6: And I was just very curious.
Speaker 11: I asked lots of questions, I visited lost of customers. I jumped in feet first, and it was it's been super rewarding.
Speaker 5: You guys are successful. I see you in all the markets that I shop in. I buy your products because they're delicious and yummy. How have you avoided or have you just carefully avoided being swallowed up by some other big food company because we're not for sale. Okay, that's a basic point right there. But I mean, if somebody comes with a big enough check everything, they say, everybody's price.
Speaker 2: We're having too much fun.
Speaker 10: Yeah, we really enjoy what we do, you know, providing sausage to all our customers and just I don't know what else I would do.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm not ready to sell.
Speaker 5: So when you have meetings, do you guys use the phrase this is how the sausage is made literally, whereas we just use it figuratively in corporate America, You guys could actually say no, this is how the sausage is made, and it would be a legit point.
Speaker 11: Well, you know, we keep all those recipes under lock and.
Speaker 5: Key, Like the KFC spices, they're in a fault somewhere and no one knows where they are.
Speaker 2: At least sausage recipe.
Speaker 6: Yeah, everything is under vault and key.
Speaker 11: Everybody's got to sign an NDA and a you know, all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 6: Do you confidentiality?
Speaker 11: But I mean, we are making the sausage today the exact same way that our great grandmother did right back in nineteen twenty five, albeit in significantly larger batches.
Speaker 2: Pork, salt, and spices.
Speaker 10: Make it simple, keep it simple, and that's why everybody loves our product.
Speaker 5: And what this has been a very challenging environment in the past few years, just because of inflation and the cost of things and all of that stuff. How have you guys managed to mitigate some of that. I mean, you're producing food, so there's not a whole lot that you can wiggle room there, you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: Pork it's going to cost.
Speaker 5: What it costs. Spices cost what they cost. How do you mitigate those sort of business challenges?
Speaker 11: I mean, every every business has its challenges with respect to regulations, taxes, insurance, wages, and if it's wean, we kind of take it as it goes, and you know, we have to sharpen our pencils.
Speaker 6: We try not to raise our prices.
Speaker 11: To our consumers to the consumers so that they're not reflected in that obviously eat a little bit into your margin, But we try to be as cost effective as possible at our plant by putting in contracts in place with our pork providers and all of our raw material providers to try to offset some of that.
Speaker 5: So you're doing pork futures, is what you'rely.
Speaker 10: But right now this summer, pork has been relatively stable as far as center of the plate meet.
Speaker 5: It does seem like it has not been hit the way beef and chicken and others have been hit.
Speaker 2: It's a pretty safe and clean product.
Speaker 5: And really the best meat if you ask me. I'm just gonna say, Now, you guys are using the same recipes a great grandma used. Do you ever explore new things? And if so, what is that process?
Speaker 2: Like we get the recipe.
Speaker 10: If we can get a recipe, that's great, but otherwise we'll figure out what's in it and uh, you know, we get in the kitchen and you know, start playing with it.
Speaker 5: Like your hatch chili sausage is super good? Where did that come from? Because your grandma didn't make that.
Speaker 10: Well, there was a bunch of like jilapino cheddar broughts out there. We were like, let's make something different. Let's use the hatch we're looking at Pueblo green chilis or Hatch green Chili's.
Speaker 2: Hatch green chilies have a better name. So we decided to.
Speaker 5: Go with that hatch instead, much to peblo chagrin. I'm sure, but we'll just forgive you for.
Speaker 2: That, Well we will.
Speaker 5: But it's a different flavor profile than than the alipino brought worst.
Speaker 2: Correct, It's just different. Definitely milder flavor. Yeah, anybody can eat it, but.
Speaker 6: It's got a good pepper flavor.
Speaker 5: So have you ever tried to make something that was an abject failure plant Beast. You know what, I totally believe that because.
Speaker 10: We came up with a really good product, but it just kind of went on the wayside.
Speaker 6: People don't buy.
Speaker 5: Sausage because they I mean, this is the thing I don't understand about vegans, and I'm just gonna say it, like, if you don't eat meat, why are you gonna eat something that's supposed to be meat?
Speaker 2: They eat meat?
Speaker 5: Commit commit to just eating the vegetables and just go with that. Are there things that you'd like to try that maybe you're outside of your little narrow lane.
Speaker 11: I mean, there are things that present itself all the time. We're pretty busy making our core group of eighty some odd sausages now, oh well, yeah, it's a lot between all kinds of shapes and sizes and the Italian arena chisos breakfast sausages.
Speaker 6: We do pre cooked meatballs.
Speaker 2: And jewey and where do I cut I don't see.
Speaker 5: Oh no, I've made your meatballs before meatball now at King Super Yes, I have made that as well, and they're delicious. We love meatballs and my family. Are there any what are your favorites?
Speaker 2: See?
Speaker 10: Oh, the Italian sausage is definitely goes but I can't. It's a really kind of a loaded question because I like them all. They're all really this is like when.
Speaker 5: You ask them after their favorite role and they're like, I just couldn't tell you that you have a favorite.
Speaker 6: Everybody has a favorite. Like when there's a buffet sausage, then okay, like.
Speaker 5: You know what you go for, you know what the go to item is there? How about humilody?
Speaker 11: Probably the chariso because it's not made with any butts, guts, lips or jows. It's pork, salt, spices.
Speaker 5: Now you just implied that the other sausage is made with butts, guts and all.
Speaker 2: That it's there.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, I grew up with a dad who thought it was important for us to understand our connection to the food chain. So when I was ten, he took us to a slaughterhouse so we could see that portion of Because I lived in your rural area, I already saw I knew what cows. Raising cows was all about, but getting from cow to the grocery store was a challenge, right, that was a big deal. And so we went to a slaughterhouse, We went to a fish stick factory. I have not eaten a fish stick since I was ten years old because of it. Like if people knew what fish sticks really were, you would never ever put that in your mouth. And then we went to a sausage factory. But it wasn't gross. It wasn't like I thought that would be the grossest thing we went to because I mean, ultimately, I know people wouldn't believe this. A slaughterhouse is a very clean operation. Correct, It's a very streamlined, very clean operation. It's not what you think it would be. But I was kind of surprised because the sausage that we went to a little place in Florida, Nettles Sausage is the name of the company, and.
Speaker 6: It was like real meat.
Speaker 5: I think people have this misconception that when you get sausage it is just all scraps.
Speaker 2: Work shoulders. What we use work shoulder love or trim.
Speaker 10: We run about seventy eight to twenty two fatuline ratio, so it's a pretty glean product as far as sausage goes.
Speaker 2: That is kind of lean.
Speaker 6: I mean, isn't it normally like seventy.
Speaker 2: Thirty seventy thirty or sometimes you get sixty forty.
Speaker 5: That's why it's so greasy. What is your favorite thing to make with your sausage?
Speaker 6: I have an answer.
Speaker 5: If you want my answer, I'll just tell you I love sausage balls. Like I'm from the South, so whenever you go to a party, there's always sausage balls. You know what I'm talking about. This wick sausage cheese really easy, and your sausage makes the best sausage balls. I'm gonna have to give them to my friend Crystal, who also makes excellent sausage balls. But I don't know what the sausage she uses. But do people, do you guys have a contest or anything? Like I would have a contest if I were you and just ask people about what their favorite thing is to make with your sausage, I would answer it. You're one hundred years in you may as well. You never know what people are gonna come up with little Scotch eggs. Look, Grace is over there in the corner going great idea. No, and you could all host the winners in here and I will sample all of their.
Speaker 6: We should do that.
Speaker 11: We'll come back in August to commemorate our hundreds.
Speaker 5: Well, we're actually celebrating our hundredth anniversary. Because KOA is also one hundred. I wonder if your great grandparents listen to KOA.
Speaker 10: I'm sure, oh, I know my bloorch right. I mean everybody listened to CHAOA.
Speaker 5: I'm even in Kansas, even across America. I mean we were actually my husband and I were talking, and my husband is an idea guy, and he said, I wonder who in your listening audience has been listening the longest, because we do have people that have been here their entire lives, and they have listened to this radio station their entire lives. And I think that's one of the reasons I wanted to have you guys on. It's like, it's not an accident. They are still around after all these years. Now, are there kids in the family that are already sort of are they interning, are they training? Are they part of the company yet? Tell me about that for the next generation.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 11: So, my son is about to be twenty seven. He has been in an official capacity we won't count the child labor laws before, but he's been in an official capacity for about four and a half years, and he's currently in purchasing and shifting sort of to a sales support sales role. He also ran a r and was doing some accounts payable and accounts receivable.
Speaker 6: So is that what you did, Steve? Did you do it?
Speaker 12: Oh?
Speaker 2: That's when I took it over. I did everything. That's why I needed to hire.
Speaker 10: My sister to help me outlays like I am overwhelmed.
Speaker 2: Over here, Get over here can't come quick enough.
Speaker 5: In my mind, that's why you've been successful as a family business, right because you know exactly how to do everything in that building correct. And I think it's better just me personally when you make decisions about a business when you can say with authority, we can trim the fat over here pun intended, and we can't trim the fat over here. I mean, I just think that there's real value in that. So is he the only kid?
Speaker 11: He's the only kid that probably will take on the fifth generation at the moment.
Speaker 6: I have a daughter that lives in LA I have a.
Speaker 10: Daughter that cuts hair and step son that they do with their own thing.
Speaker 5: You said it skipped a generation from your grandfather to you. How did that process? Did you come up knowing you wanted to do this or did you know when.
Speaker 2: I was in college.
Speaker 10: When I was like a junior in college, I was unemployed. My dad came to me and said, your grandfather needs help down the sausage plant.
Speaker 2: Get down there and help them. And that's basically how I started.
Speaker 5: So I like people who just go with the flow, Steve, And it seems like you just jumped right into the flow and kept on saleing. I. You know, there are worse ways.
Speaker 2: I got out of college.
Speaker 10: He offered me a position and I took it, and I was scared, of course, and didn't know what was going to happen.
Speaker 2: And I worked with him for ten years before I bought him out.
Speaker 5: Do you think that you were just going to do this to get experienced until you found a real job.
Speaker 2: Possibly?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 10: I mean when I worked for my grandfather to work a second job to supplement my income because my grandfather didn't pay me, well, that's.
Speaker 5: Like the most grandfather thing I heard in a life. And nobody did pay you.
Speaker 6: He rubbed the bills.
Speaker 5: Together to make sure he was only giving you a five.
Speaker 6: At a time.
Speaker 10: And believe I was making more money bartending than I was working with him.
Speaker 5: Man, So have you guys ever thought about making sausage out of something else, like other kinds of meat.
Speaker 10: We're chicken right now, and we do some stuff with beef too, but majority it's pork beef sausage.
Speaker 5: I mean, chicken sausage is one of my favorites. I think it's having a moment.
Speaker 2: Does that sell well very well? Yeah?
Speaker 11: Yeah, we're selling, not only on the food service side right now, but we are selling.
Speaker 5: I haven't seen your chicken sausage yet because I would buy it. Because there's only a few brands out there that are good.
Speaker 10: A couple of restaurants around town you can get it out, Snooze Snoop Snooze being.
Speaker 2: One of them.
Speaker 6: And Urban Egg.
Speaker 5: Oh, I love Urban Egg. That's my go to for omelets. They have the best omelets in the metro in my opinion. Can we have that conversation really quick about does the cheese and an omelet belong on the inside of the omelet or on top of the omelet? Because in my lifetime, until I moved to Colorado, I never saw cheese on top of an omelet. That makes no sense to me, and apparently it's a thing here.
Speaker 2: It depends on the restaurant.
Speaker 6: That is the wrong answer.
Speaker 5: Steve I need you to be on my side and to get the cheese it.
Speaker 6: Thank you melody.
Speaker 2: Inside the original pancake. How omelet then well the.
Speaker 5: Melody got it. It's just the cheese on the outside. I'm confused by that. What is that even a thing that's happening right now?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 5: What are you guys doing to celebrate one hundred years? We're on share with you from the cooking contest that you're now going to do with Polydori sausage, and we're gonna have the winners in here to announce where. Somebody just asked where does the meat come from? And obviously the answer is pigs. But where do you get your pigs?
Speaker 2: Sustainable farms?
Speaker 6: Sustainable farms.
Speaker 11: I would love to tell everyone that all of our pork comes here from Colorado, but to be honest with you, there's not very many pig farms here in Colorado.
Speaker 6: Most of it comes from the Midwest.
Speaker 11: But we are very careful to source our pork from sustainable farms that are practicing open pen gestation where the.
Speaker 6: Pigs roam freely and those types of things. Growing up in a rural area, I will tell you I would live next to a lot of.
Speaker 5: Farming type industries, but a pig farm is not one of them. I don't care how sustainable it is. Pigs are pigs, and they like to make noises. They're very noisy. Pigs are people don't realize this bit smilly, but they're very clean. Oddly enough, people think PIDs are like gross.
Speaker 2: They're not.
Speaker 5: They're very clean animals. It's just pig farming is a lot, especially when they've got room to roam.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And I might have gotten chased by a feral pig when I was seven years old.
Speaker 6: This carved me for life. But it's fine. I'm over it now.
Speaker 5: It's all good. That was a horrible thing that happened. Mandy the cheese should go inside the.
Speaker 6: Omelet correct, correct.
Speaker 5: Plant based love her. Where can we find their sausage? You guys are in every grocery store that I shop in.
Speaker 11: Yeah, so every King Soupers, every safe Way, every city market, Spinele's Market, Lever's, Local War, a handful of mom and Woods Mart, Woods Market up or just opened up.
Speaker 6: So you guys are, But you're in a lot of restaurants too.
Speaker 2: That's the majority of our business.
Speaker 5: Really, eighty or sense and that's probably solid business too, Like that's you know, that's not necessarily we're sawing palettes instead of one at a time, Right, You're not necessarily kind of stuck with the slings and arrows of customer preferences. Guys, has been an absolute joy talking to you. Okay, we're gonna your people, my people, and we're gonna get the cooking contest well in here, because I've already got some ideas, like I'm ready to bring some stuff because I.
Speaker 2: Love, love, love to cook.
Speaker 8: Let's do it.
Speaker 5: Did multiple contests like this in the years. We did a spam cookoff one year that I still use some of the recipes for the spam cookoff.
Speaker 6: It was so good.
Speaker 5: People made spam enchiladas, they made all kinds of stuff.
Speaker 6: Are those good?
Speaker 5: Yes? I love spam, though, so I might be the wrong person to ask if they're good because I love spam. I had this weekend. As a matter of fact, Well, this will be fun. Melody Polodori Harris and Steve Pollodori.
Speaker 6: Did I get right?
Speaker 2: You got it right?
Speaker 5: No, absolute pleasure. You guys doing an incredible job. Hey, Mandy, please say the brand name of the company you're speaking to.
Speaker 6: Polydori sausage.
Speaker 5: But that is what you're looking for Polydori Sausage dot Com.
Speaker 6: I put a link on the blog.
Speaker 5: Actually you can go and see everything that they have and where to get them. Okay, we'll be.
Speaker 6: Back with our contest.
Speaker 5: I'm holding ask to it and thank you for the sausage bucket hat. I'm super excited about that, like a little too excited about that. But now when I go to a place that is oh very nice and a bracelet, a friendship bracelet that said sausage best day ever on the Mandy Connell Show.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back.
Speaker 5: Got a bunch of stuff on the blog today, including if you follow me on social media at Mandy Connell on Facebook. I'm running a little survey and I put it on the blog today, so you can just click that and it'll take you right to the survey. And the question is easy. It is if you went to course Field this weekend and ordered food, what did you order and how was it? And I will share the answers to that and what we were talking about. So there you go. Oh, this person, I had the new Halipino cheddar brought at Polydorus Polydori. Why can't I say that a Rod Polydori. It's so easy too. You know what it looks like, Olly doory, That's what it looks like. P O l I d o ri I sausage. And it was amazing. I'm just asking, just curious if you could take him minute, if you were at the games this weekend. By the way, did you watch yesterday's game at all, A rod, did you see any of it?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 5: Finally the bats woke up, finally and it was glorious. It was a glorious, glorious Rockies game yesterday.
Speaker 2: And mister Dolander, oh.
Speaker 5: That kid, he got to win his first major league start. He got to win. They took him through five innings. Yeah, pitched lights on alive for him. Bats came alive.
Speaker 6: But more importantly, the and I hate.
Speaker 5: To say it, like this inevitable collapse of the bullpen was mitigated by the fact they had so many runs on the board.
Speaker 3: Well, we are now in a position where it doesn't need to be double digit runs now if the offense is above average and the bullpen is average yep, lazy and and the Rockies can be competitive. And I know those are two big things that are ifs. But when you have good starting pitching, and the Rockies seem like in twenty twenty five now with the addition of Chase Dolander, that they have good pretty legitimately good starting pitching, but.
Speaker 5: They've got they got a reliever with a ten era really.
Speaker 3: Keep the way the starting pitching is going, and it's not it's not sustainable that dominant, right, but you get average play from the other two sides.
Speaker 2: I just mentioned, Rockies have a chance to be very competitive. Well.
Speaker 5: Jack Corgan gave me a little bit to mull on when he said, you know, the relief pitchers that we have, we're all pretty young, yes, for relief pitching, So they've got to figure out how to how to settle into their roles when the game is on the line.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, Buddy nos pitching, and Buddy will get that in order, I hope.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 5: Anyway, got a couple of things on the blog. One of the things was if you did not listen to the Ross over into the Mandy Verse between nine and nude on Friday, because you don't normally listen. During that time, we interviewed Secretary of Energy Chris Wright, and it was a really good interview. Ross asked questions. Of course I always ask great questions, but the reality is you should listen to and I put a link on the blog today if you want to check that out.
Speaker 6: Now, I also have this story.
Speaker 5: We all know that SB twenty five three, which is the most onerous gun bill out of a million gun bills that we passed here in Colorado, where, by the way, our gun violence, gun crime is not dropped at all.
Speaker 6: After all these gun bills.
Speaker 5: Ninety five thousand petitions were delivered to the Capitol on Thursday calling on Governor Jared Polis to veto this bill. Now, oh, you know, Trump's talking right now in the Oval office. Let's dip in and see what the President has to say.
Speaker 12: Dollar wise and militarily. Until I got there, you know, I was able to get six hundred billion dollars from NATO where they paid NATO because most of these nations.
Speaker 2: Weren't even paying. We were paying for NATO.
Speaker 12: So we're paying them to guard them militarily, and this brewing us on training.
Speaker 2: So that's not a good combination.
Speaker 12: So now it's really turned around, it's the opposite. And the European Union has been very, very bad to us. They don't take our cars like Japan in that sense, they don't take our agricultural product. They don't take anything practically. And yet they said millions of cars in a year, Mercedes Benz Hookswagen, BMW's, they're sending millions and millions of cars into the US. But we don't have a car that's been sold to the European Union or other places. But let's go for the European Union. And it's not going to be that way. It's got to be fair and reciprocal.
Speaker 8: It's got to be fair. It's not fair.
Speaker 12: We have a deficit with the European Union of three hundred and fifty billion dollars and it's going to disappear fast. And one of the reasons, and one of the ways that that can disappear easily and quickly, is they're going to have to buy our energy from us because they need it.
Speaker 8: They're gonna have to buy from us. They can buy it.
Speaker 12: We can knock off three hundred and fifty billion dollars in one week. They have to buy and commit to buy a like amount of energy.
Speaker 2: And we have that.
Speaker 12: You know, we have more energy than any country in the world. I don't know if you know that he knows everything. But the one thing you may not know. We have more energy than any country in the world. We have more of every kind of energy, every form of energy, from oily gas to call, and people talk about I call it beautiful clean call. As you know, Germany is opening up a coal plant a week. They tried the windmills and it didn't work.
Speaker 8: They tried all.
Speaker 12: The other solutions, and they were ready to go.
Speaker 8: Out of business.
Speaker 12: Now they're doing a coal plant a week. China is now up to two coal plants that they're opening two major coal plants every single week in China, all over China, and then we're not allowed to use coal. Well, we have clean, beautiful coal more than anybody else. We have oily gas more than anybody else. We have the most energy of any country in the world, including Saudi Arabia, including everybody, by a lot. And I took it to number one. We were number three, and I took it to number one during my administration. And the reason that we were hurt so badly and the reason that we went into such incredible inflation during Biden is energy. It was also their bad spending, but energy because they played around with this incredible thing that we had built, this administration had built, and the energy costs went through the roof. And when that went up, everything else followed.
Speaker 6: Now, if you.
Speaker 12: Look at what's happening, you got to see this today. I said, we're going to try and get groceries down right, an old fashioned term, but a beautiful term.
Speaker 3: Eggs.
Speaker 12: So when I got in, the press went absolutely crazy. The first week they said eggs have quadrupled in price. I said, I just got here, tell me about it. And Brooke Rowlins and our team did a great job. And eggs are down now seventy nine percent. And the roll over the place is a problem that somebody else would have taken a long.
Speaker 2: Time to cure.
Speaker 12: We have energy is down, we have interest rates are down, we have groceries meaning food is down. We have everything is down at levels that nobody ever thought possible. Energy looks like it's going to be in the two dollars and fifty cent.
Speaker 5: All right, this is Trump talking about reciprocal tariffs, and how you know the thing that that kind of gets lost here is not wrong when he says the United States of America has been subsidizing Europe for many, many years now, we have allowed them to create these generous social welfare programs that liberals here would love to have in the United States because we are paying for their defense. And there is a proposal, and I don't know how serious it is. I looked at it this morning that the EU is saying, you know what, maybe we just go zero zero tariffs, EU and the United States. Everything that is happening right now makes me more and more certain that for Donald Trump, tariffs are a tool, not an endgame. And as concerning as the markets have been, and you guys, you know what, I'm the same. I'm just the same as you guys. I got a four to oh one K. I have investments that I'm you know, looking at and going.
Speaker 6: Oh, that's gonna hurt.
Speaker 5: But I believe that the things that he's doing, normalizing trade in it in a free trade way are going to be really good for the United States of America long term. And we've got to do something. We can't continue to have this same just just march to spending insolvency that we are on our that we're on right now.
Speaker 6: And so I'm more than I'm more certain.
Speaker 5: That I was last week that the tariffs are merely a tool, not the endgame, and that eventually we will reach trade agreements with many, many, many, many, many many nations. The Trump administration came out over the weekend and said over fifty nations had reached out to the United States about doing away with tariffs and cutting a deal. I mean, if it works, it's going to be the boldest play that any president has ever done of this magnitude. If it fails, boys are going to be a spectacular fail. But I was talking to a colleague the other day who said, look, you know, I mean, he's committed to this, and I don't know where this is going to go. The other part about Donald Trump that I want to remind you of is that he is not a politician. And unlike politicians who decide on a course of action, and by God, by golly, they are going to follow that course of action regardless of what you think and how effective it is. This is a guy who is a business person who's not afraid to pivot if things are not working, if things don't go the way they thought they were going to go. He is not afraid to just change direction. So it's all in.
Speaker 6: The early stages.
Speaker 5: But if nations are reaching out now to cut trade deals that are better for the US. I mean, this is like crazy, like a fox maybe, But again, whoever tells you they know what's going to happen next is lying because no one knows whether, well, I know what's gonna happen next in the next break right here, in just a second, Aird's gonna take a picture or our video of me doing a cartwheel. Why because it's a thing now, and now that we're Radio station of the Year according to Colorado Broadcasters Association, we have to keep the bar really high. So I'm in a cartwheel. You listen to some spots. It'll be on our social media in a minute if I do. Say so, it's better than Ross's. Yeah, my legs were straight or not. I just compared before I ran smack. Right, Okay, I compared before I ran smack. That's what I did.
Speaker 2: Was real good.
Speaker 3: You guys are neck and neckel and cartwheel.
Speaker 5: Well he got a running start too, so I should have probably gotten a walking start.
Speaker 3: Guessing you did better in that against Ross than you would against Nick and the speedwalking.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know what, my hip feels better. I should probably get going on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he played in the NFL, so.
Speaker 5: Whatever, he didn't play on the speedwalking NFL. Okay, got a lot of stories on the blog today, and one of my favorites is that guess who's running for attorney general? If you guessed the lovely and incompetent Jennick Griswold, you guessed correctly. Now, luckily there are other Democrats running for the nomination on the Democratic side, and I'm not willing to concede the Secretary of State's race just yet to the Democrats. I do think that in this current environment there is a lot brewing, a lot brewing that is positive for the Republican Party. There are so many points of order about what the Democratic leadership has done to our state, especially since two thousand nineteen, and if you look at things like job creation, we're lagging way behind. I actually heard a SoundBite this morning on Colorado's Morning News as I was driving in actually know it was during the news on Ross's show. I heard a SoundBite from a economist I believe maybe from CSU, but he said something to the effective you know, we have to worry about stagflation, which is low job growth and high inflation. But the reality is the job numbers that came in last Friday came in higher than economists expected. So nationwide hiring is still strong. In Colorado, it is not. So there's a lot of points that can be made by a functioning, coherent Republican Party, and I'm hoping that Britta is the person that can make that happen. Now, coming up for the next hour, we're going to get into a little bit of inside baseball with some of the stuff happening in the Republican Party. But I'm going to make a plea. Now, of course, I'm going to make a plea that's going to fall on deaf ears because none of the people that need to hear my plea are going to listen to the show, because well, I've mocked them quite a bit in the past, and I thought about continuing to mock. No, you know what, Aron, I'm gonna mock them again. Aron, on the break, can you find some dramatic reading music that I can read an email blast that went out? Now, if you're not a Republican, the reason I'm doing this is have you ever read something that is supposed to be serious and then it's so ridiculous that you can't stop laughing.
Speaker 6: That's kind of what I.
Speaker 5: Just experienced reading the latest email blast that was forwarded to me by a listener who said, Mandy, this is what poses is the opposition. We've got to bring the Republican Party back together. And I'm going to read some of this email not to well, partially to pile on, but I really want people to hear especially the people who wrote the email, and want them to hear it because sometimes when I'm about to do something stupid, the easiest way to not do something stupid is to say out loud, whatever stupid thing you're thinking about doing. For instance, you're watching your calories, you're about to eat a huge piece of chocolate cake, say out loud, I am gonna eat this huge piece of chocolate cake. And I'm telling you, when you hear it, it hits different. So I'm gonna read an email that was received and I just want them to listen back to what they're sending out there, and thank you. My cart will was better. Thank you says you know, Mandy did a round off, not a cart Well, no I didn't.
Speaker 2: You kind of stalled out at the peak well.
Speaker 5: Because I didn't give myself enough fu you know running room.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, let me see.
Speaker 6: Did I do a round off? Did I land on my feet together?
Speaker 12: No?
Speaker 6: He didn't.
Speaker 2: Let's see No.
Speaker 5: One two. They came down separately, did not come down at the same time? No, roundoff is too at the same time. Boom, Mandy, Now.
Speaker 6: You and Roster do a cartwheel face off? There you go. Maybe not.
Speaker 5: When we get back, though, I'll have a dramatic reading in the hope so we can bring the Republican Party back together by pointing out how ridiculous some of the issues within the Republican Party actually are.
Speaker 1: The Mandy Connell Show is sponsored by Belle and Pollock Accident and injury Lawyers.
Speaker 2: No, it's Mandy.
Speaker 8: Connell and Dona.
Speaker 4: KA n FM got Way study the nicey.
Speaker 2: Many Connell keeping your real sad bab.
Speaker 5: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome to the third hour of the show. I'm your host, Mandy Connell, and I'm joined, of course, by the award winning Anthony Rodriguez, who just want to Colorado Broadcast Award for his stellar wre on social media. We are also right here on KOA, the radio station of the Year. Yes, that's right. Such a privilege to get to work with the awesome people on the ear off the ear that I get to work with. And the Hungarian judges gave my cartwheel a ten Anthony.
Speaker 2: Oh, what about the Russian which you can well, the.
Speaker 5: Russian judge gave it a four point five four point one. Excuse the joke. Yep, the Russian judge gave it a four point one. Now that I explained to him what that chip quiz? So that's on Twitter if you want to find that. At Koa, Colorado, Ross did a cartwheel. I did a cartwheel? Who else has done cartwheels?
Speaker 3: Ey Rod Jesse too? So far not another Koa host. People have asked for me to do it.
Speaker 2: I'm not doing it. Do you know how to do a cartwheel? I probably could. I'm not racing.
Speaker 6: You don't know how to do a cartwheel?
Speaker 2: No? I probably could.
Speaker 6: Okay, it's not that Harden, says the guy who won't try it.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to He's going on.
Speaker 6: Vacation this weekend. It doesn't want to heard it.
Speaker 5: So that means a Monday, right I would. On Monday, you're doing the cartwheel? No, I'm gone Monday too, Okay, sid Tuesday you're doing the Cartwell, don't think about it, Okay. I can teach you how to do it, as I established it. I taught three to five year olds how to do a cart whe all. I can teach you how to do a cart.
Speaker 2: If I don't do well, I'm just not going to post it because I'm the guy that posts it.
Speaker 6: Right there, you gout.
Speaker 2: You know, people never know all right now?
Speaker 5: I promised you guys are dramatic reading because over the weekend someone sent me an email that they've signed up for for some reason from a group called Rhino Watch. Rhino Watch represents a faction of the Republican Party that is very unhappy that the Central Committee decided to go in a different direction. So they sent out their email on April fourth, and I'm just going to read part of it to you in order to sort of demonstrate the seriousness or lack thereof some of the arguments being made.
Speaker 6: Truly are.
Speaker 5: They start off by talking about how rhydos elected their new leadership and they're unhappy about it.
Speaker 6: But I just want to jump ahead to this.
Speaker 5: The Weld County officers in voting bonus members were unanimously opposed to outgoing share Dave Williams and any of his grassroots supporters. They wore red shirt uniforms, proudly declared themselves to be Rhinos, and bullied any grassroots delegate who wandered over their side of the auditorium. The new reign of Britta Horn did not start off well after her so called unity supporters, the red shirted Weld County bullies guarded donated pizza and refused to share with any grassroots delegates. Click on the Rhino Watch report link above for a complete election recap. They weren't done with that, though, not at all. They had more to say about the pizza issue, and it sounded like this. This is hilarious. By the way, listen to this what they said about Lauren Bobert. Rhino Watches launching the Horn Unity scorecard, and with less than one week in office, new chair Britta Horn and her supporters are flunking unity. They campaigned on being the ones to restore unity to the party and rhino Watch will something something hold them accountable.
Speaker 6: I don't even know what they're doing. I don't think they know what they're doing.
Speaker 5: Rhino Watch will keep tracks so you can compare what they promise to what they actually deliver, which, by the way, I don't have a problem with hold people accountable. Amen, great job. But there's this is where it gets ridiculous. First f grade goes to Horn's pizzagate or no pizza for you grassroots. Right after winning the chair position at the party reorg meeting, Horn announced free pizza for.
Speaker 6: All unless you are grassroots.
Speaker 5: That is, numerous people report Horn supporters refuse to give them a piece of pizza because they were grassroots and did not vote for Horn. That's uniparty establishment unity for you. Click on Rhino watch blah blah blah you guys. So they're stuck on the fact that they say they got no pizza, and this is what this is what passes.
Speaker 1: For.
Speaker 6: I don't even know what we're doing, guys.
Speaker 5: I don't even know. I'm in all these Republican groups on Facebook, and the stuff they're arguing about is just so.
Speaker 2: Dumb. It's also dumb.
Speaker 5: They're arguing about whether or not they were given pizza when we've got a state that we know has the highest inflation out of all the states in the country. We know that our hiring in the last year is falling off a cliff. We know that developers. If you didn't hear the beginning of the show. Yesterday in the Denver Gazette, their cover story was about downtown people who normally would be developing real estate and downtown Denver are saying, we can't work in Denver anymore. We're making it impossible for people to buy buildings because of the incredibly onerous climate change initiatives that the Democrats have passed over the last few years have made it damn near fiscally impossible to buy some of these buildings.
Speaker 4: And you have.
Speaker 5: Republicans arguing about pizza. And here's the thing. I would love the people that follow Rhino Watch and that are that part of the party to feel like they have a place in the party. I think it's very important for the party to have voices across the spectrum from the center to the hard right, and then you can make decisions based on great arguments from wherever you're hearing them. But the reality is is that you have people who appear to be so invested in imponing other Republicans like we're going to own them, that they're not interested in talking about the bigger issues.
Speaker 6: And it's just got to stop now.
Speaker 5: I could be a jerk and say you lost in the last election cycle, which is true one hundred percent. Or I could say, hey, what needs to happen here other than your people staying in charge, which they were not elected by a majority of the people. The people that were elected we were elected by a majority of the people in the Central Committee. Kathleen Chandler said, I was there and I got a piece of pizza. So funny. Did you see what they called bobert rent a rep Yeah, exactly, Mandy.
Speaker 6: I agree.
Speaker 5: It sounds really stupid, but is it true? And if it is, that doesn't sound unifying except I got this text message, Mandy. I personally handed pizza to people I know worship Dave Williams. We didn't care who they voted for. We wanted to feed people. At that point, we'd been there for eight plus hours, So I don't know, Mandy.
Speaker 8: Lol.
Speaker 5: I'm in Weld was at the meeting as a voting member. Pizzagate and all the bs from Rhino Watch was complete bs.
Speaker 2: But think about it like this, this.
Speaker 5: Is the thing that you're hanging your hat on. This this proof that the new regime is not interested in unity. Was the perception that somebody kept somebody else from getting pizza.
Speaker 6: It's not exactly the strongest position.
Speaker 5: And I'd love to know if anybody else was there, if they were denied pizza, if they if they walked up to the table and the pizza box was slammed down dramatically, and then someone looked at him and said.
Speaker 6: Go get your pizza from Dave Williams.
Speaker 5: Oh no, That's just what I would have done, Yanks, Mandy is the Rhino Watch Dave Williams. Peeps confused as to who is who. Rhino Watches aligned with Dave Williams. And what I found fascinating is that they keep referring to themselves as the grassroots, the grassroots, the grassroots. How do you define grassroots? I mean, I asked them to find what a good Republican was and they couldn't do it. So I'm guessing they can't define grassroots either.
Speaker 6: But what are they going to do?
Speaker 5: What is the next step for Rhino Watch to just stand on the sidelines and scream into the ether? Oddly, I'm okay with that. I want to get into this story. I'm going to get into it a little bit after two thirty. Remember the Mayor's office Mayor Mike Johnston using the Signal app to create a group chat about the immigration response. It's now come out that there is more than one signal chat. At least we know there's a second signal chat, and I certainly would hope that the news media that the mayor will talk to, which apparently is getting smaller and smaller and smaller, we'll ask him about this, because well, we're going to get into it at one or two thirty. Rather sorry about that. Got a couple of things on the blog. Finally, we have an explanation for how the Atlantics editor Jeffrey Goldberg ended up in another signal chat with a bunch of Trump administration officials talking about an attack on Yemen. It's a very rational explanation that required a pretty significant but understandable mistake by Mike Waltz in saving a phone number into his phone. It was saved as part of a contact for someone else who had forwarded Mike Waltz an email from Jeffrey Goldberg, and in saving the guy who sent him the stories information, it grabbed the phone number out of the email for Jeffrey Goldberg, and they did like a whole forensic investigation on this, and that is what they came up with. And, like I said, is an ideal no, But is it reasonable Yes. And there's no way that anybody's going to be fired over it because Trump is not going to give a win to the lefties. By the way, did you notice how fast that fell Atvenue cycle when Trump was basically like, yeah, I'm not firing anybody, not gonna do it, not at all. There is a fascinating bit of video today. One of the trips that I want to take I want to go to Antarctica. And there's a couple of ways to go to Antarctica, but one of them requires.
Speaker 6: Crossing the Drake Passage.
Speaker 5: The Drake Passage is the body of water beneath South America and between Antarctica, and one of the reasons that they built the Panama Canal was that the Drake Passage is no joke. It is notorious for incredibly rough seas. And if you've ever wanted to know how rough, you gotta watch the video. Ay, Rod, would you go through the Drake Passage on a cruise ship?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 5: After seeing that, absolutely, I would, I would do I would generally do it. I was like Oh, but you've got to be on the right ship, right, Like, there's a lot of ships that are specifically designed for that trip, and they have you know, ballasts in all kinds of other ways to mitigate these massive but the mass waves are part of the adventure.
Speaker 12: You know.
Speaker 5: A lot of people will do the drake passage strip. They'll do they'll do the passage down or back, and then they'll fly in the other direction because if you get seasick, it can be pretty miserable. But I saw it and I was like, yes, I mean, that looks awesome, but I don't get seasick, which is a big plus because oh wait a minute, did I put the right thing on here?
Speaker 12: No?
Speaker 5: I did, I just clicked the wrong thing. What I love is that there are people standing essentially at the front of the ship at these windows just watching the waves just barrel at you.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's just so cool.
Speaker 5: What I wouldn't do is be this idiot on the top of the stairs that is watching these waves from the top of the stairs instead of at the bottom of the stairs, which is where a rational person would watch it. But if you've ever wanted to go to Antarctica, well now's your chance. Also on the blog today, how to keep your cheese fresh Longer. I feel like out of all the stories that are on the blog, this one might be the most useful.
Speaker 6: And as someone who eats.
Speaker 5: A lot of cheese, I was completely shocked by this. First of all, apparently there's things called cheese paper. Do you know there was a thing called cheese paper? Do you even though that was a thing. It's paper for cheese, keeps it fresh longer, like the ones that go in between the slices litter.
Speaker 6: No, cheese paper is like a storage paper.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is that not what?
Speaker 8: It is? Like?
Speaker 6: Free paper to keep cheese and sharcuterie fresh.
Speaker 3: That's what's in between the slices and a packet of slice.
Speaker 2: Don't talk about how.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, that's just wax paper. But that's what they're selling you. Parchment paper is what they want you to use instead. So yeah, if you need help with your cheese, that's right there on the blog. Because our blog is all about providing you useful information. When we get back, we're going to talk about the latest ways that the Mike Johnston administration dodges transparency. But first, our friend Rich Gugenheim from Gays against Groomers is coming on to talk about what the Colorado legislature did yesterday and what Gays against Groomers is doing to fight back. That's all coming up for the next half hour. You have been a busy boy. You have been everywhere. You've been all over the place. You went to Washington, DC. Let's do a little recap of where you've been rich since the last time you were on the show.
Speaker 7: Oh my gosh, where haven't I been. I feel like you're right, I've been everywhere. But yeah, the big one was Washington, DC. A couple of weeks ago. We were back there and we actually introduced what we call a Detransitioner's Bill of Rights. And this bill, all it really does is it creates a cause of action and a statute of limitations for anyone who has been harmed by what we call gender affirming care. And that was a big bill trying to get that introduced. I've got some good sponsorship and support in both chambers. We met with over one hundred members of Congress. We also had a nice, fun little meeting with Canvas Jackson, who is the senior counsel for the Department of Education, reports directly to Linda McMahon and other people that we had some let's just say, we had some top leadership of our country that we got to meet with, and we discussed quite a few things that are going on here in Colorado. So let me ask you say about that.
Speaker 5: Let me just ask this question about people who have been rushed into medicalization when it comes to being trans and I feel like rich every time I open up social media, I'm seeing another interview with a person who was essentially just given hormones almost immediately when they went in for depression or other things, and now they're detransitioning. It seems like more and more detransitioners are getting their stories out. But what is the current state of affairs if they want to go and pursue some kind of legal remedy against the people that rush them into transition, what is the current state?
Speaker 7: That is a complicated question answer because and it does vary from state to state, but in most states you have if you have any sort of statute of limitations, that's two years, and it takes longer for people to regret something like that, and so a lot of times the other in the worst case scenarios, in cases like Colorado, for example, the transitioning is actually prohibited by our law that prohibits people from well I'm trying to think.
Speaker 2: There's a council just right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they call it conversion therapy and it's not.
Speaker 7: Yes, And so that was the other thing we find on we're going to be helping write an anarchist brief that actually support the Colorado case that's being heard at the Supreme Court to overturn that band. And a lot of people are like, well, why would gay people support that? I, for one, am someone who went through that type of conversion therapy, so I have a lot of feelings about that. But what they did was they tied it to detransitioning. Right, Detransitioning is not the same as as conversion therapy. You're converting somebody when you put them down this path of medicalization and I try to reconcile o their natal sex. That is not conversion therapy. And so they've got it backwards. And that's why this is a terrible piece of legislation, a terrible law that needs to be struck down by the Supreme Court.
Speaker 5: And Rich it's fascinating to me that we have legislators who are just so willfully ignorant about more and more information coming out that says things like about eighty percent of children who have some kind of gender dysphoria, if left alone, right, just leave them to their own devices, maybe get them some counseling to help them work through the sticky parts of puberty and all of these other things, eighty percent of them come to reconcile with their own gender. Now, if they are affirmed, one hundred percent of them go on to medicalization for the rest of their lives.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And that's the thing. That's why I keep saying this is a form of modernity conversion therapy. And when you say wilful ignorance, I really don't think they're ignorant about it at all. I think they know exactly what they're doing, and I think that they know that it's wrong. And that's why we've seen what's going on at the state capital go on at the state capital.
Speaker 6: So you believe it's an on purpose situation.
Speaker 7: I totally believe it's on purpose. And I think that if you were to look behind the curtain, follow the money, who is the one who what industry benefits from all of this? The only winners if you can say this. The only winners when it comes to gender affirming care is the medical industrial complex.
Speaker 6: Exactly follow the money, indeed rich.
Speaker 5: Yesterday they gabbled into session on a Sunday morning to do a third reading for some incredibly onerous legislation that would say, if you're a parent and you are in a divorce.
Speaker 6: Situation, a custody situation, if.
Speaker 5: You refuse to affirm the gender of your child who has declared that they are another gender, that can be used to limit your time with your kid. It can be used to prevent you from getting custody. Are we to point where the people of Colorado are going to be pushed far enough to start pushing back?
Speaker 7: I hope so, Manny. And that's not just in a divorce case. This is a situation where if a child goes to school and says, Mommy and Daddy don't believe that I identify as something else other than what I am, that child's teacher can report that, and now misgendering and dead meaning is going to be considered a hate crime in Colorado, and child Protection services can come in and say, well, you didn't affirm your child's gender identity, and now We're going to remove the child from your custody and we're going to place them in foster care where we know last year's house built ten seventeen requires lost their parents to it from a child's gender identity, an expression, and the state to medicalize them. This is when Mandy, when I speak hyperbolically, I don't do this lightly. This isn't hyperbole when I say the day has arrived for parents to either fight for their children at the state capitol, which costs nothing, or they will fight for their children in court, which can cost everything because the police, our armed forces will show up, men in uniforms will show up to your door, kick down your door, remove your children with force, and send them off to the camps. This is reality in Colorado. So parents have a choice to make. You can show up to the capitol and fight, or you can show up to the courtroom and fight. But the time to remain silent and sit on the sidelines is over.
Speaker 5: You know what it is rich is that most people think, well, my kid's not going to come home and say I'm trans my kid's fine, my kids normal. I don't need to worry about that. And that's where we end up with people sitting silently because they don't want to be called a bigot, they don't want to be called a homophobe or a trans phobe, which is the tools that have been deployed for years to shut people up. Luckily they don't work. And I know that you have been on the receiving end of those slings and arrows. So what is the next thing for gays against groomers and what are you organizing and how can we support this?
Speaker 7: Or You're going to have an X space, So if you're on X, you can follow us against AGI, nstgr mrs against grimmers. You can look us up on X. We're going to host an X space tomorrow night at six pm our time, and we're going to have lawyers, therapists, doctors, parents talking about this bill, legislators talking about this bill, because this is one of the most egregious infringements on both the First Amendment and the Fourteenth Amendment, which gives parents the right to raise their children as ac fit in our country, in our history. This is one of the worst bills you've ever seen. And so we're gonna have experts talking about this from various perspectives. And we're also going to give parents and citizens the opportunity to learn how to sign up to testify against this bill, because that's what it has come down to. You have to fight at this point in time, there's the war is here and we are on the front lines. And if you don't want to lose your children forever to this madness, you got to stand up. You gotta fight, and you got to bring your neighbors and your friends and everybody you know to the capital to fight against this stuff.
Speaker 5: Well, I will put it on my blog tomorrow as a reminder, and I'll put a link on the blog tomorrow so you can easily we can direct people there. But Rich, I just every time I talk to you, I'm so grateful that you are out there fighting as a non parent. Yeah, Rich doesn't have kids yet, so you know, we never know if what his plans are, but you're out there fighting the fight that I think a lot of parents are scared to fight because they don't want to be called a bigot, They don't want to be called the names. But the reality is is that science is on our side, and more and more science is on our side. The truth, as Rich just said, is on our side.
Speaker 8: All right.
Speaker 6: I'll put it on the blog tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Witch.
Speaker 6: Thank you so much for giving us a whole time today to talk about it.
Speaker 8: Day you too.
Speaker 5: That's Rich Cogenheim from Gays Against Rumors, and I'll put that on tomorrow's blog so you can see it there. Now, I want to talk about this Mike Johnston's story. I just think this is super interesting because Mayor Mike Kaufman from Aurra, he is done suffering fools, and I'm going to give you guys a little inside baseball. Normally, when I have conversations with people off the air, I keep the content of those conversations off the air because generally speaking, I don't want people to be afraid to talk to me about stuff because I do a lot of information gathering that I never am going to credit on the air, but it's information gathering. I have been in the process of talking to people about the mayor's administration, people that are not just Republicans, people that are also Democrats, people who voted for the mayor. Even though I supported Kelly Bruff in the primary, I still think she would have been a much better mayor. But I had really good friends. You were Republicans who said no, no, no, Mike Johnston is a really really good guy. Mike Johnston is a good guy. He's going to do a good job. He's very reasonable, He's going to be fine. Well, he's been an abject disaster in my opinion. He finally, finally, finally is adding security to the sixteenth Street Mall. He's finally doing some of the things that I would have advocated for right out of the chute. But whatever, it's fine. But listen to this from our friends at CBS. A spokesperson for Denver Mayor Mike Johnston admitted this week that the office has been operating an internal group on the encrypted messaging app Signal that was monitoring news stories and had been auto deleting the group messages apparently for more than a year. It's a strategy that some experts say violate the spirits of Colorado's open meeting laws. Now, the mayor's spokesperson, Jordan Fuja, said this group chat is used to make sure the mayor's office can keep track of the news in real time, which is a critical function of running the city. Well, then why are we deleting them if it's just a gathering of news stories? Why are we deleting them. I mean, I'm asking the question because it would seem to me they're deleting them because they want to evade transparency.
Speaker 6: That's the reason. Now here's my next question.
Speaker 5: By the way, Brian Moss at CBS, he tried to get an interview with the mayor, and apparently the mayor only has time to talk to the City Cast podcast and NPR.
Speaker 6: That's oh and Colorado's.
Speaker 5: Morning News doesn't have time to talk to me, that's for sure, unless he's ordering a sandwich at subway. Still bitter about that, will remain bitter about that.
Speaker 2: Aby he'll go to Polydori. Maybe Polydori.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So Brian Moss from CBS asked for an interview and they're like, oh, the mayor doesn't have time. Sorry, we can't make it. So, you know what Brian Moss said, he showed up at one of his press conferences. It was like, hey, there, got a second and asked him about this and this, this, This is what he said. Polydori, he said, with a straight face. We feel great.
Speaker 6: We're deeply committed to transparency.
Speaker 5: He said his administration was entirely transparent, always have been. A reporter pointed out that Johnston that the public could not obtain records of the signal conversations if they'd been automatically deleted and no longer existed, and he responded again without laughing, anything that's cora ed will obviously overturn. And we think that's totally transparent, except you can't CORA messages that don't exist anymore. And this is where Aurora Mayor Mike Coffin stepped in, He said, and I quote he Johnston might go down as one of the least transparent officials in the history of the state.
Speaker 2: He said.
Speaker 5: Aurora began requesting open records from Denver months ago related to the immigrant crisis and how immigrants who arrived in Denver ended up being housed in Aurora.
Speaker 6: To date, Aurora said Hiss has spent.
Speaker 5: More than nine thousand dollars on Denver's records, but still does not have everything that's been requested. The City of Aurora has put Denver on notice that if all of Aurora's open records requests are not fulfilled by next Wednesday, they will file a lawsuit against Denver. Kaufmin continued, this is an administration, that this is an administration, not just not transparent, but dedicated to not being transparent. So yeah, I mean, what do we do with this between this? Okay, there's a few things that are happening right now that I just want you to pay attention to because they all demonstrate the arrogance of the Democrats in this state. They convened a meeting yesterday to shove through some onerous anti parent regulations and laws that would force parents to affirm their children as transgender, even if they didn't believe they were, because the state knows best right. It's arrogant. Oh, they didn't allow debate, by the way, they just send it to a vote. They didn't allow debate. Now we have Mayor Mike Johnson saying, hey, whatever you guys, cora, We're gonna give it to you, except if they cora records that have been deleted. I mean, you're beginning to see the pattern here. There's a level of arrogance that can only exist in a state where one party controls everything. And here's the cool flip side of this. Lest you think this is just how Democrats act in states where only Republicans control everything, they do the same crap. When one party has control and the other party has no real you know impact, This is what you get. So yeah, it's time to do something about it. It's also time to do something completely different on this show because Ryan Edwards has made his way into the studio.
Speaker 6: Hello, did you happen to see the Rockies game yesterday?
Speaker 4: I did?
Speaker 2: Second?
Speaker 6: Nice.
Speaker 5: This is what I was talking to Ross about this on Friday. One of the reasons I like baseball is the cerebral aspect of it, yes, but there's other aspects to it, like everybody gets hot with the bat at the same time.
Speaker 6: Right, that doesn't make any rational sense.
Speaker 13: It's also numbingly maddening, right, I mean, like just so brutal to see, like, hey, there's so many opportunities here, and they just get this going, and then all of it comes together in a tidal wave and you're like, why could you do this?
Speaker 7: All time?
Speaker 6: Correct? As it's it's like the best day ever.
Speaker 5: Of course we're you're a Rockies fan and you're up seven runs and then Votnik comes in to close and you're like, oh, sweet baby Jesus, please just don't don't don't scrit up, don't up, don't screw it up. Honestly, don't screw it up is gonna be my new mantra for the Rockies this year.
Speaker 2: Just don't screw it up.
Speaker 14: Honestly, you know, when you're talking talking about the margins that they're on, that's that's a pretty good bar to clue. I know, time for the injection of the torpedo. Exactly while they're getting a couple of torpedo.
Speaker 3: Bouts, Chris Bryan was doing batting practice and.
Speaker 2: McMahon ordered some. So okay, we'll see, okay, we shall see.
Speaker 5: By the way, don't forget check out our Ryan Edwards. Can you do a cartwheel?
Speaker 2: Cannot at all?
Speaker 5: You ever tried?
Speaker 2: I well, I mean like when I was young, and.
Speaker 5: You just your anti you just it's like the Minsky did one of them.
Speaker 13: You know, if you were going to be able to do it at some point you would, and then after a while you stopped trying. Your video Yeah, and I saw rosses as well, and your kudus to you guys for going on camera doing something like that. I've embarrassed myself in off on the station with stuff on camera.
Speaker 2: So you know what I feel.
Speaker 6: I feel like that's a fair statement by you anyway. And now It's time for the.
Speaker 5: Most exciting segment all the radio of its god, the world of that day. All right, what is our dad joke of the day, please, Anthony?
Speaker 2: What do you call an ugly dinosaur?
Speaker 6: Ugly dinosaur?
Speaker 2: I love this one. Um, I don't know an iore.
Speaker 5: Oh that's pretty funny.
Speaker 2: I like that a lot.
Speaker 5: I like it a lot.
Speaker 6: Today's debt or word today the word verb verb It is q h e w.
Speaker 5: It means you you move closely with something, you hew closely to something you're commonly used with. To me, to conform to or adhere to something. I'm giving myself credit on that point three No, I, but I could have used it correctly in this sentence anyway. Today's trivia question. What is the name of the animated Netflix TV show adapted from the video game series League of Legends.
Speaker 2: I have no ida Netflix show?
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 7: What?
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, it's called Arcane.
Speaker 2: Oh oh oh, I'm intrigued.
Speaker 5: Came out in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 2: Apparently I highly recommended Invincible. I'm literally watching it right now. Amazon.
Speaker 3: Think like an X Men animated show, like a nerdy show but rated like NC seventeen, so good.
Speaker 2: Violent.
Speaker 5: Also like what was a movie in.
Speaker 6: The seventies that was heavy metal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was like it was like a very gay Yeah, it's.
Speaker 4: All right, here we go.
Speaker 6: What is our Jeopardy category?
Speaker 3: Getting coffee? Okay, getting coffee? America runs on this Mandy Bear is dun that is correct at any times?
Speaker 2: Excuse me? America's diner this place?
Speaker 5: What is Denny's?
Speaker 2: That is correct?
Speaker 3: New Orleans Cafe Dumon so Good offers coffee mixed.
Speaker 2: With the root Man.
Speaker 6: What is chickory?
Speaker 2: That is correct?
Speaker 6: Coffee?
Speaker 3: This convenience store asks you to walk on the wild side and try the blueberry coffee.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Gross, hard pass on that walk on the.
Speaker 6: Walk on the wild side.
Speaker 5: I don't know what.
Speaker 14: What is.
Speaker 2: What is seven to eleven? I wouldn't have gone at Starbucks.
Speaker 3: The smaller eight ounce cappuccino is called this and it's not an insult?
Speaker 2: Ryan Ran What is a short that is correct?
Speaker 6: I didn't know that one.
Speaker 5: I have no idea how I refuse to use their dumb little names of Starbucks and just like I want to medium coffee.
Speaker 2: Well that's why you. They don't use your right name either.
Speaker 5: They always get my name right. Yeah, yeah, they get my name. It's it's kind of hard to screw up even I sometimes know never and I that's good, always.
Speaker 6: The right, maybe because I spell it out.
Speaker 5: Let me spell that for you.
Speaker 6: What's coming up on KOA Sports?
Speaker 2: Oh, we got got a show, good show. We have Ryan Harrison's studio, looking forward to that.
Speaker 13: We have a rap before at three thirty right checking with him, and all sorts of draft news that we're gonna get into. Plus we'll react to the Rockies National championship tonight.
Speaker 5: I'm excited about this and I am cheering for the Florida Gators even though I'm a Florida State girl because I have so many friends who are Gator fans. I want them to have the fun party. I want them to I want them to win. Yeah.
Speaker 13: Plus we're going to talk about the Nuggets and their struggles and aah.
Speaker 5: Like me shooting the basket. Okay, anyway, we'll be back tomorrow. Keep it righty here on KOA