Speaker 1: Hello everyone, Welcome back to a new episode of the Poker Goo A Podcast. My name is Donnie Peters. It is Saturday, May thirtieth. It is one oh seven am, nice and late here in Las Vegas. I gotta say the weather has been damn awesome for the start for the first week of the twenty twenty six World Series of Poker. A fun episode ahead. I'll hit on the big reveal that happened today for the new w SP Grand Arena. Also got a couple of guests coming up at some point in the show. We got Daniel Gebbo, winner of the five K. We spoke with him earlier in the day, so we'll put that into the podcast. I also got a nice, long one sit down with Nick Palmer, you know, a fun, colorful personality in the poker world. Somewhat polarizing out there as well, but we had a good sit down almost thirty minutes with good old Nikki p So stay tuned for that as well. If you are listening to the episode, please you know, wherever you're listening, I should say, hit the favorite button, leave a review. Give us five stars, six stars, seven stars, eight whatever the heck the mac stars is. Give it to us, all that sort of stuff that engagement. Share the podcast, tell your friends, you know whatever, it helps us grow. It really does. Another thing I want to kick off is, let's really let's let's start getting some emails flowing in. Hit me up on Twitter if you want Donnie Underscore Peters DM me on Instagram. If you want to just Donnie Donnie Peters over there. Do you want to hear what you guys have to say, Tell me where I can improve, Tell me what you want to know from the floor, Ask some questions, give me some takes. Shout out to Nick Denny who emailed in the other day. I didn't see it till now because I neglected to look at the podcast email. But podcast at PokerGO dot com and if it's something worth talking about, you know, maybe we'll read it on air. Of course, a couple more items as well, High Stakes Poker. There's a new season streaming right now over on poker Go, so just head to pokergroat dot com, or you guys can download the app and watch those legends go to work. Use the promo code HSP sixteen for thirty dollars off your first year of a new annual plan. This season on High Stakes Poker steaks up to five hundred one thousand. That is right, Aj Benza and Nick Shulman are on the call. You got Kevin Hart has returned. You got Andrew Rubbell in the mix. You got Alan Keating in the mix. You've got Stanley Tang in the mix. You got Jennifer Tilly in the mix. Doug Polk plays on this season as well, So a ton of fun going on on the latest season of High Stakes Poker. Sam Kekey as well. He battles a lot with Kevin Hart. So check that out. Pokergro dot com Season sixteen of High Stakes Poker. And then if you want to play some poker your well, if you want to play on some high stakes Poker themed tables, you can do so for free over at play poker Go. Visit playpokerg dot com slash podcast. Got hooked up with a nice little link there, and if you go to that url during the summertime, you can claim a free one hundred k in gold that'll get you started with a nice boost to your play Poker Girl bankroll. So once again that's play PokerGO dot com slash podcast. It is free online poker. If you see poker Go Donnie, that is me. I have my own custom avatar on there. Come try and take my chips, but I will guarantee you that I'm going to take your chips first. Up today, I do want to just mention the big reveal that happens inside the Paris Ballroom. The curtain was dropped. You had CEO of the WASIP, Ty Stewart was up there. You had Jeff Platt, the MC of the WASIP up there. President of Poker Go Escandani was up there as well. Justin Garone, who is the president for Blueprint fifty two, he was up there as well. Blueprint fifty two is the casino and Studio Furnishing's arm of PokerGO that built this monstrosity of a set that spans like it's basically the size of a football field. And I'm not joking that the room that it's in, it goes wall to wall on each side. The room is two hundred and thirty eight feet wide. You know, obviously there's a little bit of buffer on each side, so let's call it two hundred feet long. I mean, I know it's not completely a football field, but it's pretty damn closed. It's got five feature tables, It's got a cluster of twelve tables in the middle of those five feature tables are kind of shaped like a horseshoe type of shape. They are all rfid'd out. They got all the cameras, all the bells and whistles. I believe I heard justin say there's a million and a half feet of LED tape. I mean there's LED from as far on the left as you can see to all the way over on the right. It all wraps around smooth curves that go around, so it doesn't really it's not hard edges or corners. It doesn't really look like anything starts or stops. It's very kind of free flowing throughout there. It's got two levels to it. There's the floor level that you know, ropes around where all the feature tables are, so you can stand there. But if you want a higher vantage point, there is a little balcony that goes around as well. So it's pretty darn awesome. Oh and then of course, you know, right in front of the cluster of twelve tables, there is the the WSP pregame show set that's its own little kind of mini stage up there. So I mean, this thing is awesome. If you got to check it out down there, it's incredible. If you haven't, in your coming, I hope you really like it. Hopefully I didn't over sell it, but the thing is damn awesome. I am not easily impressed by a lot of this stuff. I am a hard critic, but this thing absolutely blew me up when I saw it in person. I am happy now that everyone gets to see it, and it also makes me feel like the twenty twenty six World Series of Poker is finally one hundred percent alive. The heart is beating, the heart is racing as far as I'm concerned, and we are ready to freaking go. First thing I want to get into today Daniel Gebba's redemption in the five k nolam at hold Him. I told you guys on the last show that Daniel Gebba is the type of player that when he gets hot, big things can happen, and Geba did just that. He topped a field of five hundred and seventy entries to win half a million dollars five hundred and two thousand dollars in his pocket largest career score by a lot, his first Gabisop Gold brace and when I mentioned the redemption, that is because two years ago Geba got six in this very event for one hundred and seventeen thousand dollars. He is a member of the chip Leader Coach and Crew. Chance Corneth the head of chip Leader Coaching. He was on the rail for the entire final table, sweating Gebba. Fox enjoined later on. Foxen was busy playing in the twenty five K Heads Up Championship, but then both Cornith and Foxen jumped into the Winter photo flanking Gebba as he celebrated there and posed with his first Dobasopy gold bracelet. It was a pleasure to talk with Daniel Gebba afterwards. We joked on our way from from the final table over to the interview area where we were going to set up with him. You know that just I had played with him over the years, you know I had obviously commentated on some of his stuff, and he was like, you know, thanks for thanks for keeping up the image telling people how much of a wild man am. I was like, well, you are kind of wild man. That's kind of how you play. I mean when we played together I saw some hands and I was like, wow, okay, this guy's out there. Got to adjust my strategy. But you know, as we talked about, he's somebody who he plays a certain style because he loves it and that's the way that he believes the game should be played. So really really cool to hear from Daniel Gebba. But let's get into that right now. Two years ago this very event, you had a deep run sixth place, one hundred and seventeen thousand dollars. You feel a sense of redemption now that you were back on that stage and you were able to close it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, I actually didn't think about that, but it's, uh, the player I was then versus the player I am now is you know, wildly, wildly different. It was quite insane circumstances. But back then I think I just started working with the chipular coaching the chance, so then you're just making the final table. Back then it was just insane. Every page jump was like life changing like so, but yeah, I guess it's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Harh.
Speaker 3: You came back and you know, won the same event.
Speaker 2: That's nice.
Speaker 1: Your playing style is an exciting one, aggressive, fearless. You're certainly someone who you know you're you're not going to ever hold back, right, You're always going to go for it. Why does that approach fit you?
Speaker 2: I think the approach.
Speaker 3: Is the right way to play, honestly. I mean, I think the poker is very dynamic and the human psychology aspect of it, the fact that you're playing against humans is extremely relevant. So knowing how to adjust against the ever changing circumstances that I at a poker table is very important. So, you know, sometimes you got to put them in tough spot.
Speaker 1: Back in two thousand and three, I did a little bit of digging. You responded to a post on social media from chip Leader Coaching, and you said, the moment you start second guessing yourself, it's over rule number one in poker, do not hesitate. You know that philosophy seems to really perfectly match your play. Why is that mindset important to you to not hesitate, to always kind of trust yourself and go for it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's extremely important. I think that's one of the things that you know. I think Alex Foxon is the best in the world at probably the best at or as in terms of performing and going with the with your instinct not second guessing yourself, not overthinking in a game where which requires a lot of thinking. So it's you know, and it's incomplete information. So I think, yeah, that's having the confidence in your abilities and trusting your intuition is something that you can't learn. You have to train, you have to be out here, you have to grind, no other substitute for that.
Speaker 1: There's always kind of an inflection point in a tournament, you know, when when you start to kind of think, okay, like maybe this is the one, maybe it's gonna happen. You know, it's starting to all come and work in my favor. Was there kind of a moment in this tournament when you thought, okay, like it's getting real, I have a lot of chips, like I'm making a run, I'm this far away, Like, you know, when does that start to happen for you?
Speaker 3: You know, it's funny, I almost didn't play this tournament. So I've played the first bullet, I busted one hand off bagging and then the next day. Yeah, it was very close in terms of of maxing, but I'm glad I did so that worked out As far as understanding or you know, having that feeling, I think it was. This tournament went by pretty fast. There wasn't that many players. I think Day two was fairly smooth for me, and I think when I had the chip lead is kind of when it became real. I think like final two tables is when I started chipping up, and that's when I was like, Okay, here we are. Let's let's make sure we don't mess this up. Let's let's not mess this up this time. Let's let's close it out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you've been around this game for for you know, kind of a long time now, and you've been knocking at the door several times. What does this victory mean to you at this stage of your career, of your journey.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it means this victory is it's literally a dream come true. I said that earlier. You know, I've been playing for almost six years now, and the the process that you have to go through, most people would refuse if they actually realized what it would be, right, So I kind of got lucky that I've managed to get through it because it's extremely brutal. The swings are brutal, the mental game, aspect, performance strategy, there's a lot of that goes into it that you finally overcome you know, the different plateaus you go through, right, you know, so being able to get to this point means means a lot, it means, it means everything. Yeah, it wasn't all a waste, if you will.
Speaker 1: Yeah, poker journeys are never easy. As you just mentioned along the way, any people who you would say, are you know were the most influential to you to help you along that journey.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, obviously the chips are coaching Chance and fox and Chance literally changed my life. I was just a young kid who you took a chance on me. So I'm glad to repay that, repay the trust, and so yeah, I'll always be grateful for that. And then you know, Alex Foxon is I think the best poker player, tormo poker player in history, so getting to learn from him is invaluable. And yeah, so it's been that's as far as the strategy said. Yeah, that's those two have been pretty pretty massive in my.
Speaker 1: J We're not even through the first week yet, You've already got a bracelet, You've.
Speaker 4: Got five hunderd K in your pocket.
Speaker 1: Do you view it as okay? The summer is a success or are you like okay, I'm hungry for more.
Speaker 3: I have to control myself. Here the HURK looking at I'm looking at the hunter Ka. It looks looks looks interesting. Uh yeah, no, I do have to you know, bankle management has never been my expertise or something that I have excelled at, so I have to be careful kind of you know, now blast off five bullets in the twenty five k. So yeah, it's but I'm gonna play. I would like to play. I'm probably not gonna do a full summer grind, but uh, you know, I'll play some of the bigger stuff and then obviously excited for the main event that's gonna be amazing.
Speaker 1: And then last question here, when you look back on this tournament, this win years from now, let's say, five, ten, fifteen years down the road, what are you gonna remember most about it?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So the crazy thing about something like this is like it just goes by so fast that you're so like focused and you're locked in, you're not really paying attention or like being in the moment as much. I think I did a good job this time. But yeah, I think at the I would say the moment I'll always remember is like right after I won, and then I had like fox with a chance standing there and I'm like holding a bracelet. It's felt pretty surreal, felt like a weird, like sim thing, like, oh, okay, that's crazy that I'm here, And yeah, it's pretty cereal.
Speaker 1: That was Daniel Gebba, a really cool cat, somebody who's been in the game for six years now. He's got his biggest career score, he's got his first bracelet. He's also one of those players you know, put him in the same sort of stylistic vein as an Alex Foxen as a Jesse lonaz As. If you want to take it a little bit more old school Vanessa Selbs like he's just gonna have the pedal to the floor, pressing on the gas. He's not going to miss an opening in terms of taking a shot there. That's just how he likes to play. That's how he wants to play. And when those types of players get hot. I said it, big things can happen. A big thing happened here. But now going forward, now the fact that he's got half a million dollar score here. Right at the start of the summer, he said, Bankroll's not his strongest trait. Bankroll management should say is not his strongest trait. Well, don't be surprised that this wouldn't be the last time that we hear or see Gebba making a deep run. And it could even be a bigger tournament. You know, if bankroll management is not his thing, maybe he's out there blast in the twenty five k a fifty k and he's just going for it. Maybe if he's got chance corner and Alex Foxon in his corner, you know, willing to help when we know how successful those guys are, so willing to help, you know, financially buy some pieces that sort of stuff. I mean, this guy could do some really, really big things this summer. And again it was a pleasure to talk to Daniel Gebo. For as much as that was good news, I do have some bad news that I need to jump into. Tristan Wade's a new PLO friend Josh. He did not make the money in the five k PLO. So I'm sorry to break it to everyone there, but I'm gonna guess that it's not the last time we hear about Tristan and Josh's friendship. I will try and check in with Tristan throughout the summer see if anything else has happened between the two. But they obviously exchange numbers. They had a lot of a lot of fun chatting together. I was right there for that whole interaction, So so that was very cool and hopefully, you know, we get some more stories out of it. Josh's busted out hany and he did send it to Tristan trist and sent it to me blind verse blind on the King Queen seven deuce is when they got the money in. Josh had King seven six five for what he flocked was top and bottom pairs, so he had kings and sevens. His opponent had King ten eight deuce turned two pair, but then the river was a ten and that ten obviously sent Josh out the door short of the money over in the Mystery Mini Sorry, the Mini Mystery Millions had that backwards. Up to two hundred and twenty six entries total four five hundred and seventy nine on day one d There are two more starting fights to go. Both of them are going to take place on Saturday, May thirtieth. One starts at ten am, the other one starts at six pm. Now ten thousand entries sounds like a lot and it is a lot, but.
Speaker 4: It's not in the.
Speaker 1: Top fifth ten all time yet. It's not in the top ten of course either. It needs thirteen thousand, one hundred and nine to break into that top fifteen. I'll say that's a foregone conclusion for sure. And then if it wants to get into the top ten, eighteen thousand, one hundred and eighteen entries is what this needs to get there. I think that's very likely to happen as well. You know, I would expect this thing to get up to twenty thousand, if not more. Now, normally you would get in the fifth starting flight, you would get a bigger number, and then in the sixth and final starting fight you would get an even bigger number. But the fact that these these two starting fights are on the same day, it might fall that, you know, one E is really big. Let's say, I mean, if if today got almost forty six hundred entries, then one E is gonna get what six seven thousand, I feel like is a ballpark number. And then you know, you'll get a lot of carryover. But because it does start from or at six pm, probably I don't know, another three thousand, four thousand or so, But that's certainly well over ten thousand between those two flights. What puts this tournament up over twenty thousand. That would get it into the top ten all time, which is pretty crazy. And someone's gonna win a boatload of money. I mean, a bunch of people are gonna win a boatload of money. But that's gonna be a lot of fun to see people pull the bounties in that one for what was a five hundred and fifty dollars buy in. Largest ever tournament does belong to the WSP In twenty nineteen, the Big Fifty generated twenty eight thousand, three hundred and seventy one entries. A couple of winners that we're going to get into. We got Jason Daily. He won event number four, the fifteen hundred dollars Omaha High Low for his third WSOP Goldberry, so that he also scooped one hundred and ninety one thousand dollars. Perry Green got sixth for almost thirty one thousand dollars. Perry Green is ninety years old, He's got three gold berry so it's on record. I believe it was Stue Hunger's win in nineteen eighty one where Perry Green finished second. He finished second to Stue Younger. I believe it was the nineteen eighty one w SPEMIN events. Poker dot Org did some coverage of Perry Green specifically, and in one of their stories, they said that while the while an official record was unavailable, he's believed being Perry Green to be the oldest player ever to make a soop final table. So that's pretty crazy. I mean, even if that's not true, Perry Green doing this at ninety years old, it is freaking just an incredible feat. So he's out there battling thirty one thousand dollars for him over in the Casino Employees event. We did get a winner. Jerome Nepple won the event for sixty four thousand dollars. Nepll is a poker dealer from New Mexico. I was reading through the Poker News recap of it, and according to Poker News, it's Neple's second career live cash. Prior to this, had one cash for six hundred and thirteen dollars. I think, which is wild that he's now won sixty four k and that he does plan on continuing to deal at the twenty twenty six disip this summer. Nepple also told Poker News that he's planning a move with his girlfriend to Florida and that this money is life changing and will help me get debt free. So congrats to Jason Daly on winning the Omaha High Load. Congrats to Jerome Nepple on winning the Casino Employees Event. Now, next up, I want to play for you guys a special interview that I did Tonight's or last night, excuse me with Nick Palma. Now, Nick Palma, he's one of those players who he's been a pretty popular or I should say, well known figure in poker and kind of growing more and more over the last few years. He's quickly become a talking point in the early week here, the first week here, the twenty twenty six World Series of Poker. If you've been following the stuff that's happening in the action the social media, you've probably seen his name. You know you got Day one Sean deeb is tweeting how he threatened to spit on someone they do. He's in a video with Phil Helmy with Phil Mey saying, this guy called me a pansy.
Speaker 4: So there's that.
Speaker 1: I asked Nick about both of those things. In the interview, you also got Nick himself constantly on social media, just with how with how outspoken he is, with how confident he is, his his personality, how colorful he can be. I think he's a great follow on social media just for the entertainment aspect, for the content aspect, you know. But I wanted to get to know, like, like, who this guy is, what makes him tick, you know, beyond what we just see in headlines or what we see on people posting on social media. He's had success in poker. He wanted up as Supeagle Bracelet in twenty twenty five, but it wasn't online bracelet, and you know, according to him, then we'll get into that. But it's like one of those things where yes, I have this, but I need to win a live one. I just think that Nick Palmer is one of the most fascinating personalities in poker right now. You know, whatever side of the fence you're on with him, because he can be a bit polarizing. That's just the nature of his persona, the nature of his attitude. I wanted to sit down with him. I want to learn more about who he is, what drives him why he approaches the game the way that he does, why he loves it so much. He's constantly saying, like, I love poker. No one loves it more than me. I got the biggest heart, all that sort of stuff. So it's a longer one, but I think it's a really good one, and here's my sit down with Nick Palmer. All right, Nick Palmer, first of all, thank you for coming on the Poker Real podcast with me. The first thing that I want to ask you about, so when you ever walk into a room, there's just a confidence about you. You see it on your social media, you exude it with your attitude, your personality at the table. Has confidence always come natural or did you have to learn that throughout your life?
Speaker 5: When when I was younger, my uncle always he gave me the best advice I ever got, and he said, do something. Whatever whatever you do, you do it one hundred percent. You don't do it at all.
Speaker 2: So everything I've ever done, I've given my I've given my all, and when you give your role, I've always had that confidence.
Speaker 5: If I was a half asset or something, I wouldn't have that confidence. But anything I've ever done, I do it one hundred percent or I just don't even bother doing it?
Speaker 4: Has that been your whole life, like since you.
Speaker 2: Was a teenager young teenager? Yeah, okay, I like it?
Speaker 5: And uh yeah, I mean like also like if you're gonna do something, you better believe in yourself or why even do it?
Speaker 4: I mean that's true. I agree.
Speaker 1: Is there a line in your mind where confidence can become arrogant?
Speaker 2: Illusion?
Speaker 4: I mean delusion? Yeah, whatever, I mean, listen in your mind.
Speaker 1: Maybe not right, but some people might look at you, but this guy's ca this guy's arrogant, he's.
Speaker 4: Full of himself.
Speaker 1: But is that how you view it? Are you just like No, I'm just supremely confident in me.
Speaker 5: The truth is you have to have like a form of delusion or other things, because the truth is most people aren't gonna do what you're doing, and it takes a lot of determination and guts to make it and if it was easy, everyone would do it.
Speaker 1: One of the things I always see you say, I mean you even told it to me and our text messages like you love the game more than anyone. You care about it. We know how much you talk about heart. I mean, what makes you care so much?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 5: So The truth is, I went through a lot of hardships when I was younger and I found poker as a MIDI like a mid teenager, like thirteen, fourteen, fifteen years old, and I lost a lot of my family when I was younger and I found poker and so it's just been me and poker since then. So it's Poker's my family, and the people I met in poker are my family.
Speaker 4: Is that in your mind like an escape from what that once was?
Speaker 2: Yeah, It's basically my safe haven.
Speaker 5: So basically, when I'm at the table, nothing else matters besides me the cards and the and the players that are around me. And it's always just been a safe haven of mine. And to be honest, when I'm away from the table, I have a little bit of a hard time because I think about, you know, things that I shouldn't be thinking about sometimes. But whenever I'm at the table, that's why I play so much. It's like my it's my getaway.
Speaker 4: Do you feel like you're a bit of a lone wolf in this game?
Speaker 2: I guess like yes and no.
Speaker 5: But the truth is, I have so many friends in the game that I've made throughout the years. But uh, I guess I have isolated myself at times because of just things I've been through. But as I'm growing up and getting older, I'm learning to open myself up more and and it's not the truth is you are and by yourself in life. I have I have people, a family that took me in that I got lucky. I have close friends of mine Brandon Hamlet and others and that are always there for me. So like it can seem like you're a lone wolf okay at times, but the truth is, you wouldn't be anywhere in life without the people around you.
Speaker 1: I mean, if you don't mind me asking, and what was it like growing up when you were younger and you were going through some of that adversity, Like do you care to elaborate on a little bit more and just just kind of paint the picture.
Speaker 5: I mean, yeah, yeah, I don't know, to be honest, Like, uh, as I was coming up, I guess I was younger, So you don't really realize that, like the severity of things until you get a little older. So it's given me hard uh you know, tough skin, but it also gives me the It gives me the resolve and like the determination to keep fighting through.
Speaker 2: No matter what.
Speaker 5: Cause a lot of people have faced hardships and it doesn't matter what happened to you. It matters what you do after that. And and I think that's the most important thing.
Speaker 1: Was there a point in life or your poker life, I should say, when when the game itself like almost broke you, or maybe you thought I can't do this, or I want to quit, or it's just too much. I mean, obviously we know variants can be a bitch for lack of a better term, you know, but just going through it all, live in this life.
Speaker 5: So I messed up with money in twenty eighteen with a few people that I rectified, but that was a tough time where Like, you know, I built a lot of good relationships in poker throughout the years and people some people turn their backs on me and they wanted to kick me when I was down, and a lot of people would have just packed it up at that point and just gave up. But that's how That's when you find out who you really are and the real people around you, and you keep going and even since then, you know, you go through down swings.
Speaker 2: It happens to everyone.
Speaker 5: I'd like to say, like, I like to not compare myself, but it's like a Michael Jordan or a Derek Jeter. Derek Jeter, you know, he goes to the plate, you know, thirty forty times in a row.
Speaker 2: Even he'll have some self out and stuff, you know.
Speaker 5: But uh, the strong competitors and the strong people in life, they find the way and they keep going. And I mean, if it was easy in whatever field you were in, everyone would do it.
Speaker 2: And it's not easy.
Speaker 1: Is there any other path that you could have seen yourself ever choosing.
Speaker 4: Like a job or a career outside of poker? Is only this?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 5: I mean, well, obviously when I was younger, I wanted to be a New York Yankee, but that wasn't going to be a thing.
Speaker 2: But I mean, like a regular job, you're.
Speaker 4: Just not good enough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I was pretty good up until a certain age.
Speaker 5: But I mean if you're not from a place that like place full like all the way around and all this disadvantage. But if I were to work a regular job, I would have wanted to be a lawyer. That's a lot of schooling though, But uh, I've always been good. I have a gift of gab as like some people know and I could argue and uh and I'm pretty persistent, and uh yeah I would be I would have wanted to be a lawyer, but I don't want to do eight or ten years of schooling.
Speaker 2: But yeah, a lawyer for sure.
Speaker 4: What a I mean kind of in the vein of school.
Speaker 1: And you know, what's been your poker study like or is it just you just playing through experience?
Speaker 4: Do you study in your off time?
Speaker 2: Like a lot of you so a lot of it is experienced.
Speaker 5: And then also I came up with some of the best players of all time. I came up with Alex Foxen, who might be literally the best player of all time. I came up with Bucky Matthew Wantman, mikey Wang I used to travel with all over Europe for two years and he's another great mind in the game. A couple of the younger online kids that are friends of mine are Julian Julian.
Speaker 2: Barnardis Brandon Hamlet.
Speaker 5: T Slaate, Tyler Hurtfield and basically just keeping good network in a good good group around me and just brainstorming talking about hands with them experience online and live and yeah, just a lot of experience and a lot of brainstorming with some of the best minds in the game, specifically like Fox and when he was coming up, Mikey Wang and now my friend's Brandon Hamlet and these other kids.
Speaker 1: Got to ask you about the heart again. You know, what does heart mean to you? In poker?
Speaker 2: Specifically, heart means.
Speaker 5: That feeling when it's the tenth tournament in a row, when you're deep and they take it away from you, and you could pack it up and give up, or you could learn from what happened and you just give your thousand percent the next time and you're.
Speaker 2: Gonna get it. It's all up to you.
Speaker 5: Like that heart is, heart is falling down and getting back up. What happens is people fall down too many times and they.
Speaker 2: Don't get back up.
Speaker 5: But if you get back up, it's all up to you and you could and you could achieve anything you know you set your mind to.
Speaker 1: My friends and I have a kind of a running joke where we we have what we call the heart rankings, and we say, you know, so and so's king of the heart rankings, or so and So's king of the heart rankings. I would say you're probably king of the heart rankings, at least from what I see you put out there, the persona that you exude. You know, you're always talking about how much you care for the game, and I think you see you at the table, like with your fight and your determination. Now what is it that's driving you behind that?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 4: Is it the money? Is it respect? Is it just the pure competition of it all?
Speaker 5: So I've always I was really bad with money when I was younger.
Speaker 2: But this is off topic.
Speaker 4: But uh, I don't get good.
Speaker 5: I don't care about money at all. I want to do the be the best poker player ever. I want people to know me for being a hard worker and dedicated, being friendly at the tables. I want to I want to be one of the best players ever. I want to have the most final tables, the most wins. So basically, it's just respect, it's the competition. And on top of all of what I said before, it's I lost all my family when I was younger, and I want to keep my family name going. My uncle's name was the same as mine, Nicholas David Palma, and I want our name to live on forever. He's not I'm the last one left, and so I'm doing all of this to basically put on for my family and myself and try to just see how far I can go and how much I can accomplish.
Speaker 2: And I want people that have went.
Speaker 5: Through stuff in life and uh that to know that they can accomplish whatever they set their minds to if they just you know, stick to it, and if you have the hard work, if you keep good people around you, the sky's truly the limit on.
Speaker 2: And it's not just for poker, it's any field that you're.
Speaker 1: In now along that journey that you're on. You know, do you where are you at in terms of the respect earning? Are you? Have you earned it yet? Are you still earning it? Like like do you feel like it's it's there?
Speaker 5: The respect is definitely there out of a say, like out of a level, out of a level ten and a fox and is a ten. And because I relate everything to a fox it because Foxing to me is number one. There's a few other people obviously if Foxing is a ten, I'm at like a seven or a seven and a half right now, and I got a lot of work to do. But I mean to the average person, yes, I have a lot of respect but I hold myself to a very high regard, so I want to get to the ten.
Speaker 1: You want a WSOP bracelet online in twenty twenty five in October? Do you still feel like job's unfinished with a live bracelet? Like how do you look at you personally that has an online one but doesn't have a live one, But it's out here chasing it.
Speaker 2: The job is far from finished.
Speaker 5: The truth is when you're great in whatever field you're in, it's never enough, but you need that because if you didn't have that, you would just be complacent.
Speaker 2: The truth is about life.
Speaker 5: A lot of people just want to get by, have enough money to do whatever they want, and then there's another group of people who want to be the best, and those people they have a sickness, but in a good way. Like it's never enough. If I win a tournament today, it's good for a day. I gotta do it again, because the true great it's all about consistency and longevity. If you don't have those things, you're just a flash in a pan or you know, like it's cool. But the real respectable people and the real legends, they stand that tests of time, and that's what my whole goal.
Speaker 1: Is sounds like you're one of those people who might be deep into Kobe Bryant videos or Michael Jordan or you know, like those types of great I mean, I'm a sucker.
Speaker 4: For that stuff too.
Speaker 1: Write you know how often they were in the gym, how many shots they put up, all the different workouts that they did. It seems like you're that type of person as well, and you're kind of drawn to that, that chase for greatness.
Speaker 2: Definitely.
Speaker 5: Also, like I'm on Instagram and a lot of my stuff just Instagram inspirational quotes and inspirational pages.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, what would you say to people who might think that's cheesy? I mean, listen, I love that shit. Okay, I love it. I think it drives me too, and it helps I think.
Speaker 5: I think those people don't have a big enough goals or they gave.
Speaker 2: Up on their dreams that they truly wanted to begin with.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, if you were to win a live race, So whether it's this summer, next summer, or whatever, do you think that changes for anything anything for you internally or is it just one more notch up.
Speaker 5: It'll definitely change something, but it's just one more notch up. The truth is, like I said, you need to just keep doing it over and over, like uh, the sickness is the gift and the curse, you know, like because it's never enough, so.
Speaker 2: Like when does it end?
Speaker 5: But all you could do is just as long as you're alive, just go one thousand percent and achieve as much as you can achieve, and show people what hard work rings and h and just have good energy about you and and and just yeah, just be a good person.
Speaker 1: Basically, You've had a couple of moments over your career, but two more recently that I got to ask you about. You got Sean Deep's out there on social media saying that you threaten to spit on someone you know. You got Phil Helmi posted a video where like this guy called me a pansy.
Speaker 4: You're like, yeah, it was me.
Speaker 2: It was me.
Speaker 4: It was right next to me. And what's what's going on?
Speaker 1: What's in your mind there trying to get in people's heads or are you really.
Speaker 5: No, No, no, I'll be real, I don't care, So I'm never I'm never just randomly telling like the nice guy Joe the plumber, I'm gonna spit in his face or aunt Betty, like, Hey, aunt, Betty, I'm gonna spit in your face if I say like. And by the way, I'll tell you exactly what happened. This guy was being a really a real, I don't know, a real piece of shit.
Speaker 4: You can say whatever you want. The guy was there.
Speaker 5: The guy was being a real piece of shit, and he says a couple of things that I would never say to anyone. And so I just said bluntly, if we weren't in here, I'd spit in your face if we weren't in this casino, because I'm a I'm.
Speaker 2: A top professional, so I'm never gonna get in trouble on any properties.
Speaker 5: Basically along the lines of yeah, like like, I don't I don't tolerate anyone talking to me the way you're talking to me. But I'm at work now, essentially, But uh, that's not any and I still shouldn't be doing that anyway. I should still be a little bit big of a person because I'm man enough to admit that. But it's he was in the point point one percent of people that I would talk to like that. But it's still I'm thirty six years old, so I should do you a little better. But the guy was fifty five and he hasn't learned yet. So like sometimes I like to teach a little bit of a lesson and then I and then I was like, you know, being a dick to him a little bit, but like the right way like after that, like you know how to talk shit get under people's skin at that point, because then it's easy with those people.
Speaker 4: Well, let me let me just rewind once, like where'd you grow up?
Speaker 2: I grew up in the Bronx.
Speaker 4: Yeah exactly, So I mean I get it.
Speaker 1: You know, like your city life, you've got hard skin, like you know, you know how, you know how to dish it out, but you also know how to take it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you need to take it.
Speaker 4: So so I understand what happened with Phil.
Speaker 5: Okay, I'll be honest, Like even though Phil came up to me and like we shook hands in a pot, like whatever, my thoughts on Phil is I think he's the worst.
Speaker 2: I'm just gonna be honest.
Speaker 5: I think he's an amazing poker player, or was an amazing poker player and a poker legend. The games passed him by immensely. That's my thoughts. And I think every other top players thoughts, but he is an all time legend and he is sixty years old, so like how long are you going to be able to be able to stay sharp as well? So like I'm not you know, it is what it is. He's six years old, it's a new climate. The kids are all very hard workers. It's hard to keep up with them. So I'm not gonna bash him on that sense. But uh, he's just he's he's just the worst. In my opinion, He's a walking infomercial. He was wearing a hat one time for a year where like they rug pulled the people on day one and he was definitely wearing the hat because he was contract contractually obligated to keep.
Speaker 2: Wearing the hat.
Speaker 5: The company legitimately stole the people's money. I mean, this is just this is just a fact. He's a walking infomercial. He's just unbearable, to be honest, And I'm and I'm I think I'm speaking for about seventy five percent of the top professionals. I think they think the same as me, and I think it might be higher than that.
Speaker 2: But I'm trying to be nice about it.
Speaker 4: But it sounds like the words you shook hands and you know.
Speaker 5: That's because he came up to me on camera and I don't want to, like, I.
Speaker 2: Know he's gonna post it.
Speaker 5: And and I just I don't want to be an asshole just to be an asshole. So like I don't mind berating him, like when it's just me and him, you know, like I don't want to be too much, too too brash. You know, it is what it is. But uh, I think he stinks. And I told him. I told him as he tweeted about it.
Speaker 4: I mean, you were in the video saying that, yeah, you're like, yeah, I said that. I said that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Like I stand on anything I do and say at all times. And I also will admit if I'm wrong in my eyes or I'm man enough to I'm not like Trump where like if I think I'm wrong, I'll say it. I've apologized to people. Yeah, And I also didn't say anything that's too crazy. I called him a pansy, and I think I said he stinks. I didn't talk about his family or anything, you know, like so then I would have apologized seriously, but like, you know, whatever, I called him a pansy whatever, it's for shits and gig really like it's nothing serious. I don't I don't want anything bad to happen to him or anything. I think he's a legend, and I just he's just not my cup of.
Speaker 1: Tea now this summer. I know we're only whatever less than a weekend. I mean, how are things going for you? Are you just right back in the groove? Are you feeling like it's gonna be a big summer?
Speaker 2: I just want to continue on the last thing about Phil. This is also something like that, like some of these big names they just got away with.
Speaker 5: He was involved in the ub scandal with Russ Hamilton and he just got a complete pass.
Speaker 2: I mean that's that.
Speaker 4: I don't really know how much he was involved.
Speaker 2: No no, no, no, no no no.
Speaker 5: I don't think he was involved in the cheating, but he knew stuff was going on and he just didn't do anything about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean yeah, I think it's safe to say that there are a lot of people out there that might feel the same way you feel about that, which is understandable because in those moments you might want an ambassador like that to say the right thing or do the right thing or not, because sometimes silence can condone what something's being done right, and that that's kind of the issue that I think.
Speaker 5: Basically, like I'm not trying to be that harsh, but it's really it's really just being a sellout. It's like just taking a paycheck, turning a blind eye and or not doing anything about it and then like just washing your hands with the situation when it was over.
Speaker 2: But like he's definitely culpable of something in this in that.
Speaker 1: Situation, do you think that your stance or your attitude and maybe how some people perceive you might limit you possibly getting deals if they're like, hm, do we really want to sponsor this guy, give him money, make him an ambassador if we know he's gonna speak his mind because we might not be able to control that. Not not that you're going out there going crazy, but.
Speaker 2: Okay, I definitely think that's the case for sure.
Speaker 5: But also this is poker, and and like it's not like we have Disney behind us where we were like when we're you know, and we have to like like why can't people give real opinions. I don't say, like don't be don't be racist, or don't be sexist, don't be these things, but why can't you have your opinion on like real topics and like give your That's why a lot of people like me and dislike me. I would say a good amount of people more a lot more people like me than dislike me. But it's because I give you my real thoughts. But those are my own thoughts. That doesn't mean I'm right or wrong. It's up to the person to gauge however they feel about it. But uh, but yeah, if I was signed to, like a more serious contract, I would tone myself down in certain situations. I would know what topics to broach and which ones not to. But I would still have my opinions, but I would tone them. Like if I got signed by like WSOP and they have ESPN behind them, then I would know to tone it down a little bit and what topics to touch and what topics not to touch.
Speaker 2: But until the.
Speaker 1: Flip side of that, though, some people might say that it's fake, Well not necessarily that, But if the right company were to approach you, right, they might want the full Nick Palmer experience because that is what is gonna get eyeballs, that's what's gonna get clicks. That's why people follow this guy, right, So it might be maybe if you then did that and kind of tone yourself down, maybe then you're shooting your stuff.
Speaker 4: On the foot. So it's just interesting to think about.
Speaker 5: You know, well, well this hasn't happened yet because I've always given my full opinions about stuff, so i haven't held back clearly. But uh, even now, I'm I don't know if I I'm with coin poker now, I don't know if you're gonna put this in, but uh yeah, yeah, I mean they let me say whatever I want.
Speaker 2: They know it's clicks.
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm not like, I'm not like bashing people on like a hatred level. I'm just giving my normal opinions. And I'm sure they like that actually because it gives more eyeballs and stuff. But uh yeah, I'm not trying to be a bad I'm never trying contrary to what like a small percentage of people thinking, I'm never trying to be a bad guy or anything. I'm just giving my own thoughts. And you could whether you could like me or not like me, and but you're gonna get.
Speaker 2: The real me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, on the summer, how's it going, I'm three. Do you feel like it's gonna be a big summer for you. I almost feel like it is.
Speaker 4: I don't know why.
Speaker 1: I just have this weird feeling You're gonna like this is like the summer of Nick Palmer for summers.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 5: I think I'm gonna have the sickest summer in WSLP history.
Speaker 4: And what is that? Four bracelets?
Speaker 2: Like what I mean?
Speaker 1: It's gonna I thowt you wrote an article you said you're gonna win three.
Speaker 5: I'll be honest, It's gonna be really tough because much respect to the Grinder, who's an all time legend and gambler, he won the PPC last year and the main event, so it's gonna be hard to do better than that. But I'm gonna try my best to win the main event, and then I'm gonna try my best to win one or two other big ones. It's gonna have to be two big ones because he won PPC, so I'm gonna have to win two bracelets and then maybe the main event to overtake the Grinder for the sickest summer ever. But uh, I believe I could do it. I really do believe that. Uh it's whatever. You have to be a little bit delusional, but like, I.
Speaker 4: Truly we're all a little bit delusional in this industry.
Speaker 2: I truly, I truly believe.
Speaker 5: That I could do anything and I sent my mind to Obviously in poker there's variants there.
Speaker 2: But like I've been on the wrong side of variants.
Speaker 5: I mean a lot of people say that, but I truly, I I truly have been people could think whatever they want, and uh hey, maybe if the I always I always said, I just need to run a little bit bad. I don't even want to run good. I just want to run a little bit bad. Okay, And then yeah.
Speaker 1: Are you someone who are you only wsp Are you only here because you're here chasing braicelets in the glory?
Speaker 4: Or are you gonna, you know, bounce around.
Speaker 5: I'm basically gonna be playing like ninety six percent WSOP.
Speaker 2: I'll play the two or.
Speaker 5: Three win main events, the ten k or the thirty five hundred where versus a million. But uh yeah, I want I want bracelets. I want WSOP.
Speaker 2: And I also have myself on a bunch of the ODB.
Speaker 4: Teams, so that's none yourself.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, that's extra money, although it's it's unfortunate like a bunch of good players that I know. They all told me that I'm their bonus player on their teams. So I'm gonna have to go to a bunch of my good friends teams as well. But maybe we'll chop it, you know, I'll get first, they get second or third or whatever. But uh, yeah, we're gonna give them hell, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: You said you're gonna have the best summer ever. You said you're gonna win three braces.
Speaker 5: Well, hopefully I'm gonna. I'm giving my absolute all, and I believe.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm getting is ultimately, you know, what is what when the summer's done?
Speaker 4: What does success look like for you?
Speaker 2: The truth is.
Speaker 5: Success to me always has been if I give my all. If I give my all, what.
Speaker 2: Else could I have done?
Speaker 5: So until the day I die, I am gonna give my all every single day, and I'll be happy with whatever happens.
Speaker 2: But I think good things are gonna happen very soon.
Speaker 1: Have you ever thought about doing a poker vlog or I know you tested that recently.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, I did.
Speaker 2: It's just I did six and.
Speaker 4: I heard you talking about the other day like it's a lot of work. You gotta do all this stuff so you.
Speaker 5: Could type Nicholas Palmer WSOP and I did six WSOP vlogs every day at Prague for WSB Europe.
Speaker 2: It was a ton of work, to be.
Speaker 5: Honest, I wish I could be like a lot a lot of the Asian players that are GG players.
Speaker 2: They have people following them with cameras and.
Speaker 5: Like, I would rather have have that being done so I could, really because the truth is, I'm a poker player first. A lot of these guys are more contrate people first, so it's really hard when I'm trying to be the best poker player. There is to be focusing on that end of vlog, But I should be doing the vlog. I should be this I could do is because it's not at the table. But I'm gonna start podcasting soon, possibly one with me and Mike Holtz. I've been talking to him about something, and possibly one on my own, and I think people would be really interested and intrigued with a lot of thoughts I have on mostly poker, but maybe.
Speaker 4: Some other stuff. Is it only poker? Is it?
Speaker 2: I like to talk about a lot of stuff.
Speaker 5: It's gonna be mostly predominantly poker, but I'll also talk about other things and see if people are interested. But I think I'm a pretty intelligent person and I think people would like to hear my thoughts on a lot of different things, but mostly poker obviously, but a lot of other things of life as well.
Speaker 1: I don't really think I have anything else for you. I thought it was a great conversation. I've been wanting to get you on the podcast for a while and just chat get into the mind of Nick Palmer.
Speaker 4: I mean, is there anything else you want to share?
Speaker 5: I wanted to say thank you to anyone who truly roots for me. I really appreciate it, and I wanted to say I love you too, my mom, Rosemarie, and my nephew Bobby, and hopefully I come home with a bracelet or too.
Speaker 4: Where can people follow you this summer?
Speaker 5: Twitter is nick Underscore Palma ten ten and YouTube. You could just type in Nicholas Palmer WSP or Nicholas Palma vlog that'll pop up. And Instagram it's Nicky P ten ten and every morning on Twitter, I'm gonna be putting up a little morning video of what the day holds for that day. I'm gonna be putting updates throughout the tournaments, and I also wanted to say I do it for like all the grinders who play poker, and I wanted to say rest in peace to Daniel Sunig and Ryan Estrada who passed in the last two years, and I do it for them and everyone else who ever wanted to play poker and who loves poker.
Speaker 1: So that was Nick Palma. You heard him say the best wsp ever. I mean, this guy does not lack confidence whatsoever. So we'll see. I kind of think this could be the summer of Nick Palma.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Now, there's a couple of summers that I'm gonna make the analogy to that that have happened recently. You had kind of a summer of will Casue. Now, obviously it's not for like the reasons that I think we all want, but nevertheless, I think a lot of a lot of people watched because of what he was doing at the table. Martin Cabrell is another one like that.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I don't think Nick Palma goes as far as those guys go, but it's the it's the same sort of idea where their personality is so big that that's what people are drawn to more so than they're kind of just drawn to the poker. They just want to see, like what's gonna happen with this sort of stuff and when and when he got the stuff? Like I mean, i mean the Helmeth video is like you know, case in point, when you when you got the When Helmuth is putting this guy on camera saying like this is the guy who called me a panza and Nick's just owning it on camera, I mean, that's like, Okay, people are start to like kind of tune in, you know, so it doesn't really matter what side of the fence you're on with him. It's almost like, Okay, I gotta watch this guy. I gotta see if he's gonna make a run. So it's just listen. The characters in poker are why I love poker so much and why I like to be in and around this industry. In this game, there's all different types of people, you know, all different types of people from like a professional sense, all different types of people in terms of like they all have these crazy different stories and it's just you know, Nick is just another one of those colorful personalities. And I'm happy that I got to sit down with him, so, you know, hope you guys enjoyed that as well. Last thing before I get up on out of here, you got to give a shout out to Sean from Fort Lauderdale. I was sitting there kind of watching the end of the twenty five K the Heads Up Day one A, which also, by the way, I didn't talk about today, just because at time of recording, they're still playing the final round of the day. I don't really know what's happening there. I'm home already, so we'll just catch up with that one on the next show and see how it goes. I do know that Michael mcsrocky was playing Phil Helmuth in the third rounds. That's an absolute blockbuster of a match. But back to Sean from Fort Lauderdale, he came out to Vegas to play a few events. He recently landed. Like when I had talked to him, his body clock was still three hours ahead. But he's got a couple of events coming up. So good luck to Sean out there. I hope to see him up in that w s AP Grand Arena doing his thing, making a deep run. He said that he has a lot of success in a lot of tournaments that have like four thousand plus player fields. You know, I'm talking deep runs like you know, I think you mentioned two twelve fifteen something like that, so he can do the damn thing. So, you know, looking at like the monster stack, looking at that seventeen dollars SOP circuit showcase event, I forget what that one is called. But you know you got those big field no limit events coming up, so we'll see if Sean out of Fort Lauderdale can can make a run at it. But that's gonna be it for me. Thank you guys once again for tuning in to another episode of the Poker gro Cod Podcast. It does really feel like, Okay, we're in it.
Speaker 4: And we're ready to go.
Speaker 1: I'm happy I was able to get some interviews. I'm happy, you know, we got some winners down there. The freaking stage is revealed. I mean, look like I'm pumped.
Speaker 4: I'm ready to go.
Speaker 1: I got I got an interview coming up, I think tomorrow, as long as it happens or today or whatever, with Jeff Platt, the MC of the SIP, the face of the SIP Experience. I don't really know what his title is. I'll ask him on the podcast what the hell I should be calling him, but Jeff's awesome. We're gonna talk a lot about what the WP is doing for this summer and then obviously going forward in this new era for the brand, the biggest brand, the biggest series in the game. But that's it for me, Donnie Peters, I'm out of here and I will talk to you guys next time.