Speaker 1: Welcome to the Trauma Therapist Podcast. My name is Gaming Person. I interview incredible people who've dedicated their lives to helping those who've been impacted by trauma. A big thank you to our sponsors and our guests who are supporting this show. Five chief, ten one, our folks, welcome back to the podcast. I'm very excited to have back Akila. Riley Richardson Aequila, welcome back.
Speaker 2: Hye goodness, Hi all right.
Speaker 1: Kila is a couple therapists, published researcher, and relational healing facilitator with over sixteen years of experience. She specializes in working with couples, including those practicing consensual non monogamy and supporting sexual and racial minorities across the Caribbean and internationally. She's a founder of bipoc Relational Healing Institute and creator of the Pride Model. She's the author of the recently published Marginalized Couples and Therapy Interventions for Healing from Systemic Trauma, which offers culturally responsive frameworks and practical tools for working with BIPOP and LGBTQI couples impacted by systemic oppression. Articula obviously just a little bit about you. But before we go and share with the listeners where you're from originally and where you are currently.
Speaker 3: I am from Trinidad and Tobago and I'm currently still in Trinidad and Tobago.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is right? How on where I currently am?
Speaker 1: All right, So we're going to get into the book. Before we do, just give our listeners, maybe who didn't hear the first episode you're on, just let's give them the nutshell how all this started for you? How you got into this field.
Speaker 3: I got into the field so I was trained in both psychology and social work, and then after that I just did a lot of week and couples therapy and trauma work. And I felt that as I was sitting with couples and I was sitting with trauma and understanding my background and social work, that there needed to be more space and more room for the reality of people's systems around them, not just their families systems, but the wider systems of racism, homophobia, xenophobia, ableism, all of these things. So I noticing that that felt like, let's say a gap. Yeah, I recognized I wanted to deepen my work there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so that's why I got into it.
Speaker 1: Let's go even a step back. How did therapy psychology? How when did that pull you?
Speaker 3: At the age of about eighteen, I was going to actually head in the direction of business studies and business management. And I remember just sensing at the age of eighteen that I wanted to make a big shift. Yeah, I wanted to make a big shift because I felt in my life i'd be working with youth at one stage, Yeah, and doing therapy with youth, and that isn't a huge part of my practice right now, it would be quite honest. But I did make this pivot, this direct, this direct turn into this, and I'm never very regreted it, you know.
Speaker 2: And I think that.
Speaker 3: Therapy as the years roll by, therapy became a deeper love for me. Yeah, as the years roll by, I think, especially let's say, late in my twenties, when I started to get more into more the thirties, I should say, when I get when I started to get more into neuroscience and understanding the human brain. Yeah, I think I really I really appreciated that. I really appreciated being in this space where I could support and help people with an understanding of the human brain.
Speaker 1: So you're in the field, you're sitting with people, you're working with people, and at some point or over the course of a period of time, you realize there's a gap. What did that feel like for you? When get specific about I mean, obviously you're a person of color, one would think this is easy for you. You're checking all the boxes.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think when I was being trained in various couple of modalities and assumptions were being me that seem too global and too universal. And as I was looking at the various modalities, I felt that I was not hearing enough about people's systemic realities, particularly marginalize people's systemic realities. And I think it was during all of those various trainings that I felt that that voice was missing. And then when I thought about myself, especially as a black woman, and the way that I present, I realize that, you know what, some of my of what works in my body, yeah, doesn't show up, you know, or doesn't it's not made present in the in the trainings. Yeah, I realized that I needed to be vocal since I myself was having my own experience of invisibility in these models.
Speaker 1: When you say, assumptions were being made such as what.
Speaker 3: That we also, for example, there's a understandings of what intimacy looks like, or there's at understandings of of what is healthy communication. Yeah, that does not take into consideration what we carry in our bodies. So for example, you know, there's this stereotype of the angry black woman. Yeah, and if you're if you're communicating in an aggressive way, right, or in a very stern way, their assumptions me that you're not being relational, you're not being caring, without an understanding of our historical realities and the ways in which aggression has been a tool of survival, the ways in which systemic trauma right feeds aggression right in people, and that could then cross over and spill over into relationship.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: For example, I was also looking at things like, you know, vulnerability and this assumption with what vulnerability means, right, without an understanding of the fact that vulnerability looks different for people of color, for us, sometimes vulnerability can put you at severe risk, right, because in our systemic reality, vulnerability can also be can be an opportunity for harm. And I felt that these things were not being taken into account, the ways in which having to present yourself in a certain way to survive any wider system. Those things then crossover and come into the relationship. I felt that those things were not being adequately addressed right in our common or popular conventional models, and so I felt the need to make space for that, you know. Interestingly enough, I was reflecting just now on a client of mine who is LGBTQI, and that client was you know, talking about just and this client is mentioned in the book all right, because I so I have permission to share this person mentioned just feeling this heightened sense of rejection in their relationship, and that's this degree of rejection sensitivity was actually coming from the wider system and sipping in and finding itself sleeping in, sorry, into the relationship. So I felt that these external realities were not finding themselves in the relationship in models, but our understanding of people and the simulation of patterns which were being seen as unhealthy that were just a reaction to historical and systemic trauma.
Speaker 1: You you mentioned vulnerabile, vulnerability, and of course that is kind of a buzzword in our culture right now, and I think in therapy more specifically, and a lot of people use that in kind of a currency way we need to be more vulnerable. Specifically, how might that be tone deaf when used for marginalized people?
Speaker 2: How can current therapist be tone deaf?
Speaker 1: Is what you're asking the word vulnerability vulne vulnerability.
Speaker 3: I think it assumes that vulnerability is a strength, yeah, and openness is.
Speaker 2: A strength, And.
Speaker 3: It does not take in consideration that vulnerability in systems that are designed to harm, yeah, can actually put you at great deal of risk.
Speaker 2: And I think that there are.
Speaker 3: Understandings of what vulnerability looks like, and it looks different for different kinds of people.
Speaker 2: Yeah. For some people, just naming and being brave is vulnerability. Yeah.
Speaker 3: For some people actually being able to actually withholding sometimes as vulnerability. I know that might sound strange, Yeah, but there are different ways which it manifests for different kinds of people. There's no standard definition of vulnerability. Yeah, I can say for example, for me as a black woman, like I remember reading I can't about the text, but in this text talking about the ways in which black women on the plantation were taught to interact with their children, right, and that on the plantation they felt that they had to be harsh and shame their children in order to protect them, because if they would criticize their children or demean them, it means that they protect them, to protect their trial from being.
Speaker 2: Taken from mass by master.
Speaker 1: Sorry.
Speaker 3: And so we're seeing there that even the ability to express love and the vulnerable about one's tender feelings, right, could be seen as being risky. Nor imagine that particular way of being being passed on from generation to generation to generation. It would then mean that we have to construct our own understanding of vulnerability, yeah, our own feelings around vulnerability. Yeah, And so I I conventional therapies sometimes don't take into consideration these historical shapings, yeah, and the way to which these things have to be me which these things are transformed time because of the reality of one's circumstances. So yes, I think for me, whenever I'm sitting with people, especially people who experience historical trauma, right, I am very mindful of what is their circumstance and how do I really find the ask?
Speaker 2: So, if I'm.
Speaker 3: Talking about sharing vulnerability, bravery, unsetting boundaries, even setting boundaries can be hard in a system where boundaries are not boundaries are a relational risk in the outside world, right, Sometimes having a lot of boundaries keeps you safe. Sometimes opening up yourself keeps you safe when you are a marginalized person, right, we don't have the ability to always live in our truth because times living in your truth can get you killed. Sometimes standing up and saying no one being assertive can get you killed literally. And then when a therapist is asking you to direct healthy boundaries with your partner, you know they're making an assumption that you you have a tool within you that is being disrupted and discredited by the external system all of the time.
Speaker 1: Wow, it's it feels like a whole shifting of not just perspective, like a paradigm shift. Yes, how one needs a therapist needs to walk into the room with a worldview that needs to be rejiggered and reformed and reframed.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I mean that's.
Speaker 1: That is what what does that mean to be? And obviously this is different for different people, but I can imagine. I can't imagine what it means to be a client who maybe is marginalized and working with a therapists who doesn't have this, maybe has quote unquote good intentions but is not informed in this way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've so, and you know, I you know it's I remember working with a client once and we were speaking about the goal setting and imagination, and she said, I never thought I had space to imagine.
Speaker 2: I was too busy trying to survive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I'm using that as an example of the ways in which sometimes when we make asks of clients and they're like, but this is not a part of my reality.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is.
Speaker 3: Not a part of In fact, your ask is even violating me. And make no apology, I mean, make no mistakes. Sorry, I myself as a because I'm a su stender person. I work with the LGBT community, but i'm cisgender and I too have made errors coming from a very privileged SIS place. Yeah, there are certain I remember once working with a trans woman who was and this too is part of in my work, I do a lot of recordings of videos, et cetera. But people who give full permission to recorded given formed consent for teaching purposes. And in one of my videos, I was working with a couple a trans woman and a non binary and a non binary partner, and in order to hold space with a non binary partner wrong issues surrounding race, I asked a trans woman to just contain a bit, and because they were emoting a lot and the non binary partner felt that they couldn't share. So we're just working on containment a little bit, and not realizing after that I had wounded that person because they felt as a trans woman, they had experienced so many times in their life when they were told that they could not emote, or they should not emote because only women, only SIS women could emote. And there I was blind to what I was asking, not taking into consideration this person's reality.
Speaker 2: So I want to say that it's.
Speaker 3: Not bad, evil or or ill intentioned therapists who have blind spots.
Speaker 2: We all do your privilege.
Speaker 3: Right, what I call your relational privilege, inevitably creates blind spots, and so your own humility and openness becomes imperative. As a result of that, your willingness to listen and not just tolerate but accept include that becomes necessary.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You in the in the some of the beginning pages of this book, you ask some amazing questions. One is one is fill in the blanks here, correct me if I'm wrong. But you start to say, you know, many many therapists begin from a very uh you know, beneficial way asking questions such as, you know, it's not what's wrong with you, it's but what happened to you? And there's you you say, there's a kind of a more pertinent question than that, and it's what's continuing happening to you? Talk talk to us about that difference.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's the wisdom of FEMA Bryanta, And yeah, I'm so glad you raised that because I'm thinking about it now. You know, sometimes when we're working in therapy with couples or individuals, we work with them as if the thirty trauma has passed, it's done, and you know, we want to we act like it's finished. And the thing with systemic trauma is that it's continuous, it's pervasive, it's chronic, and that has to be taken into account because as I work with someone that I might see a shift and then the week after this person is back in the same place because the system is continuing, it's onslaught. And I think that means we have to really in how we do trauma work. There is no endpoint and completion. And I know, for for a product, I think one of the things about our industries are a very product oriented as opposed to process oriented. Yeah, we want we have all these models and things that we do, and then we assume at the end of it we should see less of this and less of that, and we have always indicators and markers. And I have to say, for me, I've struggled in various settings with that kind of way of understanding human beings that you know, if the work is done quick a bit, well there there'll be less reports of this and less reports of that.
Speaker 2: And you know it is.
Speaker 3: It's important, I think for us to reimagine trauma therapy. And you know, I was a center Robert Schwartz the other day in a trauma training with therapy with them, and he was saying, you know, we have to this is a paraphrase, but we have to give up the need to be helpful. And that provocative statement stayed with me because we're so preoccupied with being helpful and getting outcomes and getting results that over time we myself included, I'm not I'm certainly not excluded from this. Over time we forget how to just be with people in the reality in which they live. Yeah, and to not see a person as something to shift and retool, but a person to just be with and support. And support takes different shapes, especially when you're working with trauma therapy, and we have to remove and see notions of things like resistance and all these different things. Those things have to shift and change when people are continuously being affected. In fact, when people I think one of the reasons we need to shift this is because when persons see themselves being affected in this particular way, Yeah, you will see that Today's if they're not changing or they're not feeling better, they might begin to think, oh, they're not working hard enough. Yeah, And I have to say to people, it's not that you're not working hard enough. You're being affected by a wider system continuously.
Speaker 1: Right right when you sit down, when you sat down to write this book, what did you want to say? How did you put it together? What was important for you to get into this?
Speaker 3: What was important for me to get into this? If I'm doing very transparent, I didn't want to put forward something that seemed like the answer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Want to be very honest, guy, this is my understanding of how to do this work. But I am not proposing that this is the way to do the work. I don't think we can reduce human beings to just being amenable to our ways of working. And I wanted to make sure that in this work I held I continue to help it, I continue to hold sorry a curious position, yeah, and it I wanted it to be accepted that this work is hard, and as I rumble with people through the work, I take my time and take a not knowing stance, take a power with stances, as Julianna Taylor Show will talk about often in her own work. Because it feel like I'm rambling a little bit, But what I'm trying to say is that a huge part of my ethos is liberation and I cannot hope for liberation without practicing liberation in a therapeutic space. And the way I practice that is with being curious seen in an egalitarian relationship, just being in that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you began work seeing clients, talk about how your perspective has shifted now with the knowledge that you have, and you put into this book how you would sit with clients.
Speaker 3: I sit in the liminal space better. The liminal space is the between space, and in the book I talk about that, right, I talk about grief and liminality. I talk about the ways in which when you've put forward all the best efforts and it's not finding, it's not taking shape, it's not taking whole. Because of the wider system and what it's doing.
Speaker 2: I've learned to.
Speaker 3: Sit in that grief with tendinness for myself and tenderness for the person. I think my clients have taught me that. My clients have taught me humility. Yeah, they've taught me this thing may not work and it's okay because there's something else happening. And they've taught me and you know, I've spoken before a little bit about this, but they've taught me the reality of discovery. Yeah, that therapy is a place to discover. Therapy is a place to learn. Therapy is not just a place to take models and impose. Therapy is a learning space.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So even I'd say I published this book and then there's some ideas that came to me after that I wish I had there before, Because as I meet with people and I think through the work, I'm constantly learning. So therapy and living and teaching and training helps me to update. And so my clients, being working with marginalized people has.
Speaker 2: Taught me to update.
Speaker 3: It has taught me curiosity, humility.
Speaker 2: It's not me bravery.
Speaker 3: I've had to say in some instances, you know this is a system right, you know this is not you right, And I've had to be brave about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what mean you? Why?
Speaker 2: Because one of.
Speaker 3: The things I say about systemic trauma is that systemic trauma is often disenfranchised, it's invisibilized. That when persons experience acts of racisms and the phobea, et cetera, they often find it very difficult to be able to have that be heard because persons around them try to dismiss it. And so it is my responsibility in the therapeu takes space to name it. It's my responsibility to let you know that you're not making this up. What you as Rasmomnechem says, what you think is happening, really is happening.
Speaker 2: This is real.
Speaker 3: And that takes courage. That takes a lot of courage. Part of the reason it takes courage is because I too am a black woman, and I am feeling the helplessness sometimes of not seeing things shift, especially in these times. And it takes courage for me to name the thing that my nome might not shift because as I need the system. I'm actuallying domains of powerlessness and helplessness as well that exists so many of us. So it takes bravery for me to name it, and it also takes bravery for me to face the helplessness and the powerless is that you naturally feel when you realize that this is a thing bigger than you.
Speaker 1: When you think of this book, I mean, obviously everything you're saying is vitally important. What are you hoping therapists will get from this work?
Speaker 3: I am hoping that there are few things I'm hoping. I'm hoping that when they see dynamics between couples that they ask themselves what else is in the room. It isn't always systemic trauma. It isn't, but sometimes it's really important for you to ask yourself what else is in the room. I'm hoping that when they realize what else is there, they're brave enough to name it for the couples. I'm hoping that they support couples in normalizing their tensions that result from systemic trauma, that they don't pathologize the couple, that they pathologize the system that they assign they blame what they blame is to yeah, And I'm hoping that they support There's a part of my work that I call relational declarations. I'm hoping that they support clients in creating relational declarations that are rooted with an understanding of the systems that they occupy.
Speaker 1: What might be an answer to the question what else is in the room?
Speaker 2: System?
Speaker 3: The history, the invisibilization, the therapist ignorance is in the room. Sometimes therapist biases a therapist, or on privilege and positionality. All of those things are shaping how the therapy takes space is emerging, but as you can feel and couples are debating with each other in the room, and all that's needed is a therapist understanding and a communication of that understanding. That could be a safe container. And sometimes when we don't communicate the understanding or name the system, it doesn't create the safe space for them to be able to pivot and look at what's happening.
Speaker 2: So all of those things are in the room and shaping the experience.
Speaker 1: In the book, you have quotes from some people you worked with. I'm wondering if you can share one of those or some of those ones that stood out to you. A client who stood out to you who kind of in an emblematic way, symbolizes the work and this.
Speaker 3: Book, there's a quote very early and I think the person says, it's a system of questions. And that always stood out to me that when you are an LGBTQI person on your bipop, that you're always in a system of questions, always wondering, wondering, am I being harmed by not being harmed? Oh, how should I navigate this? Or how should I do this to keep myself safe? You just can't walk through the world comfortably and confidently. You always have to be questioning what's happening to you and how you're going to navigate that, and living and questioning. Living and questioning then becomes your motives operandi. Yeah, and I want you to think about how living and questioning then shows up in relationships.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it almost feels like they're not playing with the same of cart or they're com swimming in a completely different ocean, very different ocean, which in and of itself is like a mind fuck. How do you be yourself? How do you that just be authentic? That even seems like like be vulnerable, be more vulnerable. What do you mean be myself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're right, and this isn't the experience of every single marginalized person, right. I want to be clear that and I'm not making generalized statements. Everybody's having different experiences. But you're right, you know, I think, But I really want to stress that these conventional definitions of intimacy and relationality, I we really need to tailor them to hold space. We really need to account for what I call relational privilege. That the ability to live in your truth, the ability to feel safe, the ability have a sense of self worth, the ability to feel belonging in the world. All those things affect your ability to navigate relationships. And those things are not only shaped by your family of origin, they also shape at the wider system. So I can't abide by your definition of connectedness if it is that I have these circumstances that shape relational themes in my body or every day.
Speaker 1: Well, as we kind of wind down here, when you were working with couples, a couple walks into your room, What are you doing? What are you looking for? Are you not looking for anything? You're just being What's going on for you?
Speaker 3: I'm curious, I'm sitting I am you know in the book I talk about using the biome right. I am sitting from a place of openness, so openly and buiness is a part of the biome right. I'm sitting from a place of openness, being willing to hear. I'm mapping and looking at relational patterns, right, and then I'm considering where.
Speaker 2: You are, your social location.
Speaker 3: All these things that I'm looking at, And when I'm thinking through the lens of the work of wicked marginalized people, I'm asking myself about what are the habits of survival? And that's mentioned as well in the book. What are the habits of survival that exists outside that are probably showing up here. Yeah, I'm asking myself where does this person sit in terms of their degree of relational privilege? Like I actually have a scoring thing that I can use. Yeah, where does this person sit and how does it shape their current reality? So all of these little things are things that I am thinking about and shaping and being aware of.
Speaker 2: And I'm also it.
Speaker 3: Contain Man's necessary as well, because I don't want to Russian to diagnose, so because I think that becoming over diagnostic is not emancipatorial liberatory. When I spoke about the fact that the couple's space, the therapeutic space, sorry, should be a space of liberation. So not being not rushing to diagnosis and that kind of thing becomes even becomes more important there as well. So I'm looking at dynamics and I'm mapping, and I'm thinking about habits of survival and relational privilege.
Speaker 1: What is relational privilege.
Speaker 3: It's the ability to navigate relationships from a place of self trust, yeah, and a place of safety. Those are two things I talk about a lot. Yeah, that ability to do that in itself is relation is relational privilege. And for me, that ability comes from the wider system. So when I talk about what is relational privilege, it is the ability to navigate intimate partner relationships that is affected by your social location historical reality and not your personal historical reality, the historical reality of your people and the wider system. Yeah, So it's the themes of relationality that the wider system sows in you.
Speaker 1: The book is called Marginalized Couples and Therapy Interventions for Healing from Systemic Trauma. It is out you know kill When I remember when I first interviewed you, and I was blown away by you and your just your your you have. You exude this humanness, this this human kindness that is so inspiring. And I remember getting off that interview and I was like, oh my god, you know this is what it's about for me. You know this, this, this presence you have that you bring into your work is very inspiring. I love it.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: It's amazing. All right. How do people learn more about you and the book? It's the best way.
Speaker 3: Oh well, they can check me out on my website Keiler Riley Richardson dot com.
Speaker 2: There is a link there.
Speaker 3: You could buy it as well off of bookshop Amazon, go straight to Norton's website.
Speaker 2: It's available. Once you google it, you can definitely find it.
Speaker 3: And as I said, if you want to learn more about me, you can find me at Tekileriley Richardson dot com. You can shoot me at email infu at Tequila Rally Richardson dot com as well. Also on my website. You could also click that little contact me button and keep in touch.
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll have all that link up here at the show notes page at the Trauma Therapist podcast dot com. Killer love It, Love you Love Love having you on here pleasure.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: All right, take care, okay, bye back