Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on WBS Boston's Radio.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much to call. I will get everybody to eleven fifty eight so I can get you, you know, with two minutes to Saturday morning. Just stick with me for the next four hours. We have an interesting program coming up before we start tonight. Just the two minor matters that I would like, well, they're not minor matters, are major matters. First of all, I want to send a big happy birthday wish out to a young man by the name of Bill Dougherty. Bill Dougherty, who is married to his lovely wife Elaine. I'm not going to tell you how old Bill is. He's actually celebrating his twenty eighth birthday tonight. That is the spirit of this guy. He's a great friend. I saw a picture of him with his granddaughter and it looks like there's a Holy Cross celebration going on in the Doughty household. And I think it has to do with maybe that young hockey player has committed to play college hockey. So there's a lot going on in the Doughty household tonight. And I suspect there's a purple and white collars are abounding on maybe I have it backwards. I'm not sure. Can you. Can you have a granddaughter at the age of twenty eight? Probably not Probably he may be a little older that, but he's in spirit. He's twenty eight. So Bill Dougherty, congratulations to you and Elaine. You're a saint putting up with him. There's no doubt about that. At least that's what I'm told. Anyway, even on Bill's birthday, Elaine, we got to give you a shout out. Okay, simple as that. I also want to congratulate our winner of the Unfortunately Paul from South Boston never got in touch with us, don't know why. But our runner up and now is the winner of the beautiful coat bag that our friends at College Hyper making available. Go to Nightside and Demand and check out Nightside and Demand. That's for our that's our podcast. To Nightside Gear, Nightside gearollwornword dot com and check out our t shirts and our Hooded sweatshirts and just an array of holiday gifts, Christmas gifts, and Pelvis Presley as a winner. Believe it or not, I talked with Pelvis tonight and that is his actual name. His mother must have been a big Elvis Presley fan. Pelvis Presley of Middleton has won the first tote bag because he was very close. He ped it. He predicted that Trump would win with three hundred and seven electoral votes. He was only five away. Because we haven't heard from Paul Pelvis that tote bag from our friends at college, Hype is on the way. Now. We have a very busy show tonight and we have four really interesting topics here in the eight o'clock hour. No phone calls this hour. I'm delighted to introduce to all of you Alex London, who was a librarian. It was Massachusetts, a beautiful community, and there was a story that we saw in the Worcester Telegram recently about Worcester Public Library was reunited with an o overdue book of fifty one years. Alex, this is a great story. Tell us about this. You are a genealogy and local history librarian with the Worcester Public Library. Thanks for joining us. This is a great What was the book that was kept by someone or someone's family for fifty one years was the title of the book.
Speaker 3: Called the Early Works of Aubrey Beardsley, and it was published in eighteen ninety nine. So quite an old book.
Speaker 2: We dropped the first couple of seconds the early Works of Aubrey Beardsley exactly. I must tell you, I don't think I've read any of the early works or the late works of Aubrey Bearsley. Sounds with a name like that, they could be sort of a relief picture for the California, for the Los Angeles Angels. Daty myself.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I tell you I wasn't familiar with Aubrey Beardsley either. But it actually it turns out that he wasn't a writer, but he was in fact an artist. So it was really kind of a publication which had a lot of his early drawings. Interestingly enough, apparently he did a lot of work on book illustrations and drawing the covers book, so that was that was pretty fitting, but really just a collection of his artwork.
Speaker 2: So how did the book show up? I mean, does someone walk in and say, gee, I've had this book for fifty one years. I'm sure that wasn't what happened. And someone said, okay, let's see ten cents a year you owe us whatever with compounded interest, who brought it in and what were the circumstances well, you.
Speaker 3: Know, it's interesting. Somebody actually brought it into the Cambridge Public Library. They had, according to the librarians and Cambridge, they had rescued it from being thrown out. I don't know if that means that maybe you know, they're cleaning out someone's attic and found it, or you know, they found it on sort of a used book sale, but they noticed that it had Worcester Public Library markings on it, so they brought it into into Cambridge, which you know, I guess was the closest library to them. And the Cambridge Library reached out to us and said, you know, hey, we have a book with the due date slip from nineteen seventy three. Would you be interested in having it back? And sure enough we were, Wow.
Speaker 2: That's an amazing story. Obviously it's not someone I was joking when I asked the question. It's not someone who would have held onto the book. You just forgot to bring it back to the library. But yes, you hear these stories every once in a while. Has anyone figured out what is the longest book that was overdue? I mean, this has to be pretty close to a record, if not an actual record. I mean we've heard about books twenty years, thirty years, but this is fifty one years. And any idea what the longest overdue book, the latest or the most tardy overdue book in the history of any library in America? Is there? I assume someone has that record somewhere. I don't know if you do.
Speaker 3: I assume that someone does. You know, I don't know necessarily if it's us. You do hear stories about this pop up every every once in a while, But certainly, at least for our library, this is the oldest, the oldest overdue book that we've ever had come back to us. But if it's not a record for the United States, I'd imagine it has to be at least up there.
Speaker 2: It has to be in the top ten. There's no doubt about that. Now. Have you actually received the book already from from Cambridge?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yes, yes, we have it back. It's currently currently on my desk.
Speaker 2: And is it available for lending or is it are you going to keep it out of circulation for a while?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, it's it's funny, it's actually no longer in our library catalog because it's been out of the library for so for so long that you know, a while back in the nineties, we switched over from the old you know, card catalog drawers if you if you remember that, oh, well, electronic cataloging. But you know, since the book wasn't in the library, it was actually never added to our electronic catalog. But to answer your question, we are actually going to have it re cataloged and make it, uh, you know, make it available on the shelves.
Speaker 2: Though.
Speaker 3: What we are going to do, given the fact that the book is so old and the fact that it was you know, on the lamb for so long, we are going to make it so that it can only be used in the library. So unfortunately people won't be able to to take it home, but hopefully soon they will be able to come in and you know, see it if they're like.
Speaker 2: What what condition was it in? Did it did it just sit somewhere or was it in rough shape when it came in?
Speaker 3: No, it was actually it was actually in great shape.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Some of the pages were a little bit yellowed as you as you might expect, but you know, overall it was I don't know exactly where it was for over fifty years, but it seemed like wherever it was it was in a in decent enough condition. You know, it's funny. Inside the book there's a little you know, the Worcester librarians of the time, they put in a little message that says, you know, this book is the property of the Worcester Public Library. You know, good care and prompt return or the responsibility of each borrower. So so I was saying that, you know, they did take quite good care of it, but the prompt return they didn't. They didn't quite have that down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just that you'd love to know the whole story. I mean, and of course it's impossible to figure out. But but someone must have taken it out, forgotten about it, and somehow, some way it made its way to Cambridge. It's it's it's a great it is a great story and Alex really appreciate, you know, it's funny. So so, how how old are the books in your library? Are they books to go back to the to the nineteenth century.
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, we have, you know, not too many of them, but we do have certain books that are from the eighteen hundreds, even the seventeen and sixteen hundreds. You know, those don't circulate, but we do have we do have some very old books.
Speaker 2: Well, when I first started as a TV reporter, I am proud to tell you that I was the subject of a book that was a fellow out of Vermont lived in Moscow, Vermont, and he did a series of books called A Day in the Life of and he happened to do A Day in the Life of a Television Reporter, which was me back in nineteen eighty one. And so that book, now, I realize, is pretty darn old, but I have a few that I kept there in premo condition, which I intend to pass on to my grandchildren. You might check it out someday, because I was told that that book was published by Little Brown, was a hardcover book, a lot of pictures, a lot of stories. Who was a children's book, you know, for kids who wanted to become TV reporter a journalist. And I'm told that that book was literally in every public library in America. And while I worked for Channel four many years ago, periodically I would get a book sent to me by a librarian. I remember one from Saint Joseph's, Missouri, and a couple of others. They would send them to me and say, we're cleaning our shelves and we thought you might like to have this book, so I have a few copies of the book. I would bet you you have one at your Worcester library, believe it or not. A Day in the Library. The television reporter and the author was a fellow named Bill Jasperson jasp E R. S o h n. Great guy, Yale graduate, wonderful writer, did his whole series of books on Day in the Life of a Marine Biologist, an entire series going in the nineteen eighties. Actually, so pleasure to always talk about books. We recently had Ken gloss on from the Bradle Bookshop. We love talking about books here on Nightside, and this is a very memorable bookstory. So thanks Alex for joining us tonight on a Friday night and telling us a story about a long overdue book coming home to Worcester.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 2: Thanks Thanks Alice, Alex, I very very much appreciate your passion for books. When we get back, we're going to talk with a local author about his passion for baseball stadiu stadiums stadiums, but stadia, I guess with the Latin plural. He calls himself the stadium vagabond. His name is Ken Smoller, we'll get back dright after this and we'll talk with Ken Smoller or Brookline, who has visited I guess over three hundred ballparks around the world or stadium stadia around the world. Coming back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World night Side Studios. I'm WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's talk with Ken Small. He's a local author of Brookline based Ken. Welcome, a nice side. How are you.
Speaker 4: I'm doing great, Thanks so much for having me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you've just released a book about entitled The Last Kimiski. Talking about Komisky Park. You actually talked to someone who watched Gaylord Perry and Wilbur Will Wilbur Wood hook up in an extra inning, zero to zero pitching matchup in the early nineteen seventies in a very cold Comiskey park. Uh, tell us about what you do? You have the stadium vagabond. How many stadiums have you visited around the world.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I have photographed over twenty four hundred stadiums around the world.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I thought it was I thought it was three hundred twenty, No hundred.
Speaker 4: That's just baseball's and actually that's that's a little low. That's probably about six hundred. I was just doing some back of the envelope math as I was waiting. But yeah, I started this back in Michigan when I was in college photo graphing for the Michigan Daily and continued on as a side pursuit ever since then. And you know, it's admittedly a little crazy, but everywhere I go, I try to at the sporting events where we see the stadiums and do a lot of travel for various reasons in my life. And as I continued out, and you know, it all started back at Commiste Park in Chicago, where I grew up. But I've now been in Boston since the late nineties.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I'm going to throw one at you here. Okay, I'm assuming you've done all the ballparks in you know, all the minor league ballparks in America. Okay, is there any ballpark in America baseball ballpark that you haven't visited.
Speaker 4: There are a few, and some obscure parts of the country. I need to get to some in Idaho and a few in Louisiana, but I'm up there. I've got about maybe four hundred minor league parks most of the college ballparks and softball ballparks, so there are definitely some places that need to hit both on the ballpark front and college football stadium front.
Speaker 2: So, man, this is unbelievable. And okay, how many countries have you visited to see stadium or as I'm going to pluralize at stadia, I'm up.
Speaker 4: To twenty four right now, so we you know, keep adding every year to something new. But off to twenty four countries in forty eight states, okay.
Speaker 2: I actually one day while I was in Oslo made it a point to get out to Bislet Stadium, which was the site of the nineteen fifty two Olympics, which was in sort of kind of like a neighborhood. Have you been to Oslo and have you seen that the nineteen fifty the site of the fifty two Olympics? Per chance?
Speaker 4: You know, I need to get up to Scandinavia. That's a part of Europe I haven't been to. I did recently see a ballpark in Rotterdam in the Netherlands, which is kind of unusual seeing ballparks in various parts of the.
Speaker 2: Baseball A baseball park is what, yeah, yeah, which is okay, fine, Wow, that's unbelievable. Have you ever had while you were out looking at one of these ballparks. I remember when I went to Bislet Stadium there was some sort of a grounds crew. They kind of looked at me a little weird, and I just said, hey, I'm just giving a look, you know, I mean, sometimes they locked these things up. I'm young enough. You're not young enough to remember when the Red Sox back in the sixties and seventies used to open up the gates at Fenway Park about at the top of the seventh inning. So if you were in the neighborhood and you just wanted to stroll in. This was in the bad old days, when the Red Sox weren't drawing big crowds, you could just walk in. Has there ever been a ballpark or a stadium that you were not allowed to get into?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oh yeah I have.
Speaker 4: I've had a lot of problems over the years. I've snuck in a few places. I kind of reached the age where I no longer will climb fences, had too many issues with that happening. But I just recently got caught in Antwerp sneaking into it and I got caught, and they were not happy with me and kicked me out before I got a chance to snap my photo. But most people are nice when I tell them what I do and I show them my business card. Usually I get nice ushers and security guards and other people that work at the stagings that let me in, or I always find a groundscrew to let me in or or some open door to seek in. I kind of just act as perfidently as I can and move in, and I'm not doing any damage. I'm snapping a photo and leaving.
Speaker 2: So so tell us about the book. Kmiski Park. Obviously, it was on the South side of Chicago, not a particularly good neighborhood and in its later years, but it had been the home of the White Sox. It was the home of the White Sox during the Black Sox scandal of the early twentieth century. And there were guys there that you know, Nellie Fox, Louis Aparicio, Billy Pierce, Ted Klezuski, Mini Minoso, all these great players who passed through, of course, Frank Thomas and later years. What's the most important thing to remember about Kimiski Park, other than the fact that it was named for the Komiski family, which owned the ball team.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think Komiskey Park was like one of those real special ballparks that doesn't really get its due. It was two years older than Fedway Park, opening up in nineteen ten. Zachary Taylor Davis was the architect who went on to design Rigley Field, although designed it as a Weigman Park for the Federal League Wales. But it was an unusual ballpark in that it was based to some degree on a cathedral style architect architecture. That was what Davis's expertise was in. He also based it to some degree on the Roman Coliseum, infusing it with arches all throughout the ballpark so that fans could both see out to the neighborhood, but the neighborhood could see in with what was going on in the ballpark. It was used for baseball, of course, but so many other things. The Beatles play there, There are prize fights there. The Chicago Cardinals, who are not there. Cardinals, Yeah, played there for decades and in fact are the only team to have won a championship for a Chicago home team in that ballpark. The White Sox the two championships they won during that era were on the road, and so were the Chicago Negro League of American Giants were a real star team at that at that juncture. They always won their championships on the road. So the Chicago Cardinals. Blake claimed that the only title that occurred in Kamiskey Park for the home team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would have been, sir, I'm guessing nineteen forty three or something like that. Forty years of forty seven. The Bears were always Wrigley Field. We used to watch the Thanksgiving Day games. The only other thing I have a buddy of mine who played in the Major League twelve years. He was a pitcher, So he hit one home run and he hit it in Komiskey Park. He hit it off a pitcher. I don't know if you remember the name, Joel Horland, but he was a pretty hard hitcher out of Texas, and he hit it a you know, an August afternoon. It was his one dinger during his career, which is one more than most of us have. Ken, I love this story. Tell me, how can folks get any of your books? Let's let's try to sell some books for you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Christmas.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, it's a terrific Christmas present for anyone who likes sports or baseball, not just White Sox fans, because I tali you a lot of other ballparks. It's available at laskmiskeybook dot com or at my website stadium vagabond dot com, which also has a lot of different stadium prints from from throughout the world that people can get in framed form or in puzzles. I just posted some really great ones of the old Boston Garden and that's something I'm to work on in the future, is a book about all the New England stadiu And you know, I've lived here now half of my life and it's seen a lot of great sporting events here. But you know, my first start was over at Mysky Park back in the eighties.
Speaker 2: First first game you went to right, yeah back.
Speaker 4: Listen eineteen seventy seven was my first game, loss against the Orioles. A lot more losses than wins.
Speaker 2: I'll bet you who was who was pitching for? Who was pitching for the Orioles. I hope Palmer was pitching for the Orioles that day.
Speaker 4: It was not, It was not, it was it was Tippy.
Speaker 2: Your little left handed picture sure who was pitching for the White Sox.
Speaker 4: Oh, I don't remember that. I don't about six years old at the time.
Speaker 2: But that's great, it's great.
Speaker 4: You know there's some definitely connections to Boston with with Comisky black Sack scandal was hatched and near Square.
Speaker 2: More Square Hotel. Absolutely. Absolutely. Hey, you know what, let's uh, let's do an hour some night in early December. Have your pr person I think it's Sharon, Uh, have her get in touch with my producer. I have my producer get in touch with you. Let's do an hour some Thursday Friday night, either at ten or eleven. And let's let's get get some books sold for you across the country.
Speaker 4: Okay, sounds terrific.
Speaker 2: Susby can look forward to it. Thank you so much. I love I love sports. Uh, and we'll we'll have the hour will fly by, I promise again. The website stadium vagabond dot com or last kamiskibook dot com.
Speaker 4: Correct.
Speaker 2: Thanks again, Thank you, Ken, thanks for having me.
Speaker 4: Take care.
Speaker 2: All right, we get back. We're going to talk about well a more serious topic. Full House actor David Coolier diagnosed with stage three non Hodgkin lymphoma. We're going to talk with doctor Jeremy Jeremy Abramson, director of the lymphoma program at mass General Hospital Cancer Center, right after this break, after the news at the bottom of the hour.
Speaker 1: It's Night's Eye with Dan Ray on Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All right. By the way, I was mistaken the fifty two Olympics were actually in Helsinki. For some reason, I thought that they were in Oslo. And when I make a mistake, I tried to correct it. The fifty two Olympics. We're in neighboring, actually not neighboring because because Finland is on the other side of Sweden, but certainly in Scandinavia. And yeah, I've always thought that I had visited the sight of the fifty two Olympics when I looked at that stadium in Ostlo, Bislett Stadium. Anyway, let us move on. Now that I have made my apology, I apologize for that. I'm not often wrong on sports, although occasionally. So here we go. I'm delighted to welcome doctor Jeremy Abramson. He's the director of the lymphoma program at Mass General Hospital Cancer Center, and the words no one wants to hear are a stage three non Hodgkin lymphoma, Doctor Abramson. Welcome to nightside, sir, how are you tonight?
Speaker 4: Thanks to be with you.
Speaker 2: I'm not familiar with this actor. I don't watch as much TV as I should. Full house actor Dave Coolier. Is that how his name is pronounced. He's a young guy, as I understand it, and he's dealing with this might have been the disease that claimed the life of former Massachusetts Senator Paul song As if I'm not.
Speaker 5: Mistaken, Yeah, this a song has also had a type of non Hodgkin lymphoma. Turns out there are lots of different types of non host so they probably had different diseases, but all under the same umbrella.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so what okay when you say how many varieties are we talking about here? Because that's the first thing, and I always learned things in interviews. That's the first thing I learned. I thought that the diagnosis of stage three well a non Hodgkin lymphoma was one type of disease. Explained to us why there's such a number of variations that fit under that umbrella if you could.
Speaker 5: Yeah, sure so. Lymphoma is a general term for any cancer that comes from O lymphocyte, which is a type of white blood cell that we all have in our blood stream, lives in our lymph nodes all of our organs. They're designed to keep us safe from infections, viruses, bacteria, that sort of thing. We all have two types of healthy lymphocytes, B lymphocytes and T lymphocytes, So non hoggen lymphomas can come from either B lymphocytes or T lymphocytes, and so that leads to either B cell non hodgegen lymphomas and T cell non hodge gen lymphomas. Turns out there are several dozens of each type, and within the B cell non hodgeg lymphomas, which is the type that Dave Coolay announced that he has, there are close to four dozen different types of B cell non hodgeg lymphoma, and each of these diseases actually has a different biology based on what type of mutation happens within a lymphocyte when it goes awry will lead to the different type of lymphoma that develops, and some of them can be very aggressive, nasty, dangerous diseases. Other B cell non hogg lymphomas are actually we call in lend very slow growing and may never even be life threatening. So there's really a huge variety and that affects how we approach it.
Speaker 2: So it's good to know that, yes, yeah, I'm stunned by that. And I assume that that doesn't make your job as the treating physician, surgeon or whatever and the easier because I assumed that the variety of treatments must be specialized for each type of this disease.
Speaker 5: Well, that's exactly right. It didn't used to be that way. It used to be that as oncologists, we had a limited number of tools in our tool chest, and they were basic chemotherapy drugs, and so we treated all lymphomas and a one size fits all approach with sort of old fashioned chemotherapies. It turns out today, the more we understand the biology of each of these different underlying lymphomas, the more we can treat them in a directed way. And that's why today each of these diseases often treated distinctly with different types of targeted drugs, different types of immunotherapy is where we actually help harness the power of the patient's own immune system against their own cancer to eradicate it, and that's led to much better outcomes. Across the board. Regardless of the type of lymphoma, a patient might have.
Speaker 2: One thing that I'm sure everyone who's listening tonight is thinking is what are the symptoms? What? What do you need to look out for? Obviously, getting to your doctor once at least maybe twice a year, getting some blood tests are critical here. But for those who are not being that vigilant, is that is it fatigue that might give someone some concern to be checked out. What are some of the early symptoms that to get to get ahead of this disease.
Speaker 5: It's a great question.
Speaker 4: Dan.
Speaker 5: You know, there's no specific symptom for lymphoma. There are a number of potential symptoms. The most common symptom, believe it or not, is just painless enlargement of lymphnodes. Generally, lympho aren't painful, but if you notice a lump or a bump that you hadn't noticed before. Lymphodes live commonly in the neck, under the arms and the armpits and the groin. They look deeper in the body too, but you wouldn't be able to feel them, so unexplained painless swelling in those regions certainly warms evaluation. Additionally, some lymphomas, particularly the more aggressive types of lymphoma, can have systemic symptoms. These could be unexplained fevers, drenching sweats at night where people drench through their bedclothes and their sheets and have to kind of change them in the middle of the night, unexplained fatigue, unexplained weight loss, that kind of thing. But the most common thing is just you know, somebody's shaving and they'd notice a bump that they hadn't noticed before, or they just feel around and find something. But certainly any unexplained symptoms certainly warn't a visit to your doctor.
Speaker 2: Is there a correlation in terms of gender or a with the frequency of this.
Speaker 5: Disease, You know, it depends on the subtype of lymphoma, But in general, lymphomas can occur at any age. They can occur in children, and my oldest patients are in their hundreds on average. The median age is in the mid sixties, but it can literally occur at any age. And I just take care of adults, and my youngest patients are teenagers and my oldest patients are centenarians. There are no very clear risk factors in general most patients lymphomas or what we call sporadic or random in nature, or a lightning strike, if you will. There are certain folks who are at slightly higher risk. Those include people with autoimmune diseases, people with certain chronic infections like HIV, people whose immune systems are suppressed for other reasons, such as they've had an organ transplanter. They take an immune suppressant for an autoimmune disease. And then there's some association with things like smoking and obesity. So healthy living is always good. But the majority of people who develop a lymphoma, it's not from anything they ate, drank, smoked, where they lived, anything like that. It's simply a stroke of bad luck. Although i will say all lymphomas are treatable. Many of them are highly curable, so I'm always optimistic when I'm meeting with a patient for the very first time.
Speaker 2: Doctor, I hear it in your voice, and I hear also in your voice a passion for what you do, And I'm always amazed whenever I talk to you, know, the high profile docs like yourself, that you have to deal with people every day who are getting horrific news, and yet you continue to carry on. And I just want to say you probably don't get thanked enough. But any doctor who I've ever talked to, you take care of us when we are at the lowest point in our lives, and you many times cure us and many times help and always help us. I just want to say thank you for your time tonight and thank you for what you do.
Speaker 5: Thanks Dan, it's my honor and privilege.
Speaker 4: It really is.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll tell you it's I'm just blown away by by your passion. And again, I'd love to have you back at some point periodically, because I think the more we know about these diseases, the earlier all of us can catch them and present ourselves to great physicians and surgeons like yourself. Thank you again, Doctor Jeremy Abramson, the director of le Lymphoma Program at mass General Hospital Cancer Center. Thanks again, Doctor Abramson. Thank you, good night. Thanks well we come back. We're going to end on a really up note. Bobby's Books in Winchester. It's the newest pop up. I don't want to spoil the surprise here, but it's run by a second greater. All proceeds go to charity. We'll talk with Bobby Atchinson and his mom. He's the second grade at the Ambrose Was Elementary School in Winchester. Also talked with his mom, Gina. Gina, I thought, I think it's pronounced right after this, and we'll find out everything we need to know about the newest pop up in Winchester.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan ray Line from the Window World Night Side Studios on w b Z News Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm delighted to welcome two guests, Bobby Atchinson and his mom, Gina Atchinson. Welcome to both of you. How are you both doing tonight?
Speaker 6: Good?
Speaker 2: Good? That's Bob. I can tell Bob, Hey, Bob, you have started Winchester's newest pop up? What what do you? What do you do? By the way, I want to just mention that the Boston Globe, actually I think did this story, uh, and the reporter there is a woman named Cara Baskin uh. And I want to give Cara credit, uh for for doing this story. How does it feel, Bob, to already have been in a newspaper now be on the radio?
Speaker 6: Really good?
Speaker 2: Really good? So, so tell us about your store? What what's the sale at your store?
Speaker 6: Did you say it again?
Speaker 2: Sure? Tell us about your store? What what do you what are you selling?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 2: What's what's going on? Tell us about your your your your project? Here, what's what's the deal?
Speaker 6: So we're selling books and all the proceeds go to the Home of Little Wanders. The Home of Little Wanders are kids that don't have homes.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm very familiar with that. That's a I think it's still in Jamaica. Plane. It's a great institution. So where do you get the book? What type of books are you selling?
Speaker 6: We're selling elementary books, some older kids books because my friends and family helped out donating books to us.
Speaker 2: Really, so your your your customers are kids your age and a little older. I guess right, yeah, yes, okay, how did you How did you come up with this idea? Did you and your mom work on it together? Is this a project? Was it your idea?
Speaker 6: So I had a bunch of books in my bedroom and they started paralleling up. I said we should do something about these books. We started donating them, and I said, why don't we make a bookstore?
Speaker 3: And then.
Speaker 6: My mom said yeah, and then we and then we started.
Speaker 4: Not doing it.
Speaker 6: And then my mom said, why don't we give all the money to charity? And I said, yeah, of course, and then she said, we could give it to some home of the Little Wonders. And she looked at there's the closest one by, and there was one really close by.
Speaker 2: And then I said, go ahead, Bobby. Do you mean do you mean to interrupt?
Speaker 3: You?
Speaker 2: Go ahead?
Speaker 6: I said that that would be great to do.
Speaker 3: That.
Speaker 2: That's a great idea. So how do people get in touch with you if they want to purchase a book?
Speaker 6: So in the morning a lot of people come by or walk by it and they might try to get the books, or they can just take a look at them.
Speaker 2: And yeah, so now it's called the pop up store. You're probably smarter at this terminology than me. Do you do? You have like a little stand in front of your house and you on a nice day you bring some of the books out and you talk to people as they're going by. Is that how it works? Or did they come up and ring the doorbell and say, hey, Bob, what sort of books do you have for sale?
Speaker 6: That never really happened?
Speaker 2: How's it?
Speaker 6: We do it at Starbucks? I mean sucks.
Speaker 2: So you show up, oh, okay, the Starbucks in Winchester, and what do you do? You set up a little table or something with books.
Speaker 3: We set up a.
Speaker 6: Little table and we have like bookstands on it, you know those spinning things that have a bunch of things around it. That's where we put most.
Speaker 7: Of the bigger books because they don't sit in our shelves.
Speaker 6: They don't in our shelves.
Speaker 2: Well, this is great. I'm looking at the picture that was in the Globe in Carabaskin's column and that really you got some stands, you got you had quite a collection of books. Are you a biblio file? That that's a word that means loves books. So you're a biblia file? Yeah, yeah, okay, that's that's from the French. In France they call libraries a BiblioTech and that's that's where the word. So you now know you're a bibliophile, okay, And that's a good thing to be because I love books too, and these are books that this is great. You got to sign and everything. You really how long you've been doing this, Bob?
Speaker 6: It started last week.
Speaker 2: So this is only a week old. Wow, boy, we got in on the ground floor here. These are great pictures. I wish you're best of luck with this. Can I talk to your mom for a second. Is she is she close by. Hi, Hi, Hi Jenna, how are you?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: This is quite quite an entrepreneurial effort. I just uh looked at the picture here of Bob at his table. This one looks like I'm not sure. I guess you inside or outside? This data They in the cold, the weather. He doing it in the winter time.
Speaker 7: We're actually not We're just going to do it for three weekends leading up to Giving Tuesday and December. And it's right outside in front of the Starbucks in Winchester Center from nine to eleven am. And he's collected books from a lot of his friends in the community and kids in his elementary school, and also his own books that he's read that he wants to share with other kids. So every book's five bucks and all the money goes to the Little Home, the Home by Little Wanders. And we're very proud of him. He's very excited about this opportunity. So thank you so much for being interested in chatting about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, he did a nice job. He's entrepreneurial, that's for sure. I explained to him that he's now a bibliophile. So I don't know if you heard my explanation him, but obviously in France, the library's called the BiblioTech and so that's I think the derivation of the word bibliophile. So he now can he knows he's a bibliophile. Well, handsome looking young man, obviously a great presentation. Has this story been in the Globe or is this going to be in the Globe over the weekend?
Speaker 7: It just went out today. So Kerabaskin did her newsletter Parenting and Filtered on Thursday, and then the Globe published it this morning. So we're very proud of him and it's been exciting to see the response.
Speaker 2: Well, that's great. So you'll be there tomorrow morning from nine to eleven, Yes, at the Winchester Starbucks. So I'm going to have all my Dunkin Donut friends. I'm a Dunkin Donuts guy that I want you to at least go over to the Starbucks exactly downtown Winchester.
Speaker 7: Thank you to go into the Starbucks. We'll be right outside.
Speaker 2: They give you did you have to get are they cooperating? Did they give you permission to set up out.
Speaker 7: There or is this just a little permit in the town. So we reached out to the town and then we reached out to the charity, and it's been a nice little, you know, end to end experiment to kind of show him, you know, something he's passionate about, which is reading in books and how that can benefit other kids who might be.
Speaker 2: Great just great connections for him. And he's gonna he's gonna be he's already something. He's going to be really something. I'm sure we're going to follow his career and figure out that he uh, he's going to do something special, that's for sure. Jenna, is it Jenna Regina?
Speaker 5: I'm sorry either way, it's Gina, but you know, all right, Gena, all right, Gina, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: You should be very proud of him to Bob tell him again. Congratulations, Thank you so.
Speaker 7: Much, Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: When we get back, we're going to talk about the Pink House up on Plumb Island. Where do you hear this story? Here comes the news