Speaker 1: This is the book I feel I have it in me to write. And there's so much documented that's never been pulled together, which is not just the making of the film, but the influence of the film. Why the film looks so unusual, Why it's an art house film that was made to cash in on a band before they split up, and actually it was the beginning of something rather than the end of something.
Speaker 2: We're totally rock and roll.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'll leave you.
Speaker 3: You're reading little Hands this, It's time to rock and roll, rocking up, I totally booked.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to book do on Rock, the podcast for those about to read and rock Americ Sanitch. If you'd like to support the podcast, get episodes commercial free. Sign up for the backstage Pass from Patreon. It's just five dollars a month the link in the show notes, or you can go to book down rock dot com now. Our guest Samira Ahmed is the author of A Hard Day's Night, part of the British Film Institute's Film Classics series. The book examines one of the most influential music films ever made. A Hard Day's Night, released in July of nineteen sixty four at the height of Beatlemania. The film was directed by Richard Lester and followed John, Paul, George and Ringo through a fictionalized thirty six hours in their lives as they traveled to London for a television appearance. What could have been a simple pop star vehicle became a groundbreaking film that helped redefine music movies, influence the modern music video, and captured a rapidly changing Britain in the mid nineteen sixties. Samira's book explores not only how the film was made, but Wyatt's reputation has continued to grow more than sixty years later. Samira, Welcome to the podcast.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Thank you for such a beautiful description of what I was trying to do in that book. So thank you sounds like maybe I pulled it off.
Speaker 2: Oh you did a fascinating read. A fascinating read, and for you is there's so much that we can get into from your aspect here. You've watched A Hard Day's Night as an eleven year old discovering the Beatles, as a broadcaster, as a film critic, and as someone fighting a landmark equal pay case. So talk about this film's importance to you and what convinced you that you had something new to say about this film.
Speaker 1: Well, like you hinted, I mean I first discovered the film as an eleven year old. The BBC broadcast all six of the Beatles films, the feature films, and the Shay Stadium documentary and the Less It Be film, all of those at Christmas nineteen seventy nine. And my family were early adopters, and we had a Betamax video recorder and my elder brother taped all the films off TV, and I discovered the Beatles through those films, particularly A Hard Day's Night and Help I Think and to some extent, Yellow Submarine. And I used to come home from school every day I used to put one of these films on. So I probably watched A Hard Day's Night once a week for a really long time, so it's possible I may have watched it more than most people on the planet. And as I grew older, I'd always loved the Beatles, and about three years ago I discovered the earliest complete concert recording they've made in the UK, the so called Stow tape, where they played a boy's private school and a student recorded the whole concert. So it's in really good quality, there's not screaming all over it. And he shared the tape with me three years ago and that story went around the world, and it was about the social history. It wasn't just about the music being brilliant or the band. It was about why did the Beatles resonate what was going on in Britain at that time, And people got in touch to say, even though they didn't particularly regard themselves the Beatles' fans, they really connected with that story. So I thought, I thought a lot about A Hard Day's Night. And I had been on there's a great podcast called I'm the Egg pod here, which I had been on talking about the album and the film, and I realized I had more to say. When I've discovered the BFI series hadn't covered this book because iont. I was surprised, but I was also relieved because I thought, this is the book I feel I have it in me to write. And I actually pitched it and wrote it really quickly because I did lots of research. But there's so much documented that's never been pulled together, which is not just what you know the making of the film, but as you say, the influence of the film why the film looks so unusual, why it's an art house film that was made to cash in on a band before they split up, and actually was the beginning of something rather than the end of something. So all that's gone into it, And I've had lovely feedback from a lot of people who knew the Beatles in the sixties actually and said that they felt they'd learned stuff from it, which is all you could ask for, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Oh? Sure, yeah. You describe A Hard Day's Night as a snapshot of Britain in nineteen sixty four. What aspects of British society does it capture better than most history books.
Speaker 1: Well, for the first thing, I think it just gives you a sense of how weird it was with Beatlemania. There had been you know, like Sinatra in America. There had been pop stars that had fanatic followings in the UK before, but there was something but beatle The Beatles and the way they connected with all generations. There wasn't a lot of pop music television, so they weren't on mainstream light entertainment variety shows like more common wise with comedians and things. It's equipment to them going on on the ed Sullivan Show, and the hysteria just continued to grow around them. So what you see in this film is it captures the way that they couldn't go anywhere without screaming fans just appearing from anywhere. It captures that sense of them on television as a medium which kind of transmitted them to the world. I mean, the cover of the book is a spoof of the it's a play on the film posters that have been contact sheet. It's the Beatles split into four TV sets and I like their there are kind of contagion being transmitted to the world. So the world of television and how powerful a force it was in people's lives were captured in this film. And of course the changing social picture of Britain we had, although it's you know, you glimpse it rather than it's made a big point of it's a multi racial audience. There are teenage girls of color and teenage boys of color in that audience. Because the so called Windrush generation of Commonwealth immigrants like my parents came to Britain in nineteen sixty from Indian Pakistan. They were, you know, very much changing the picture of Britain. And the other thing about Britain at the time is the changing economic picture of work. So there are a lot of interesting career women in this film, and I know a lot of women who became makeup artists. In the sixties, television, the screen world is a big growing place and women were starting to make their impact in all kinds of ways. So all of that is captured incidentally in the background to a film which looks document entry style. Even though it's a scripted film, there is a mixture of I've described it as a fantasy documentary.
Speaker 3: Eric.
Speaker 1: There are moments that are real. There's fans screaming on the street. Some of them were paid to turn up, but a lot of them turned up just because they heard the Beatles were filming. So everything feels you're not quite sure where the reality stops and the surreality of Richard Lester's comedy style begins.
Speaker 2: You know Richard Less and let's talk about him, because he's often described as a film secret weapon. What did he bring to the project that maybe another director might not have.
Speaker 1: Well, it start with he's kind of an outsider. He's an American who had made his head in Britain and loved British humor and he had a very strong anti deaferential sense. So when the sewers crisis happened, he's one of those people who thought, who are these idiots who are ruling us? He goes on to make a film like How I Won the War, which is scathingly anti war and anti the kind of political forces that send young men to die. And his sense of humor just gelled with the Beatles, who watched a lot of television, knew the comedy of particular couple of actors, Piece of Cellars who's known very much in America, Spike Millier, and he's less well known. The two of them were in a comedy troupe called The Goons, which began on radio. People like King Charles grew up a huge fan of it. The Beatles used to listen to that, and it transposed television. Some of these actors wrote TV series and films, and which Leicester had worked with them on a lot of these projects. So they had a shared sense of humor, I think, and he bought that surreality. And also it wasn't that he knew the Beatles, but he had a strong sense. I read some lovely interviews with Richard Leicester of his heart being in sync with a young audience. He was about ten years older than them, but he kind of came up with lots of creative ideas about how to film them, how to capture them, how to turn the surreality of some of those crazy press conferences, like the one at JFK when they first arrived in the US, when they're being asked about their haircuts and stuff, and they just bat back these inane questions from journalists, and he found a way of turning that into surreal moments where if you watch the press conference scene in a hard day's night, they're giving answers that don't quite make sense because he kind of mixes.
Speaker 3: Up the answers and the questions.
Speaker 1: At one point, Paul's being asked, you know, how how do you feel about your father? And he goes, oh, not really, We're just good friends, which makes no sense at all. Yeah. He he films things that could have just been done dead straight as a kind of pop art collage, and that sense of a comedy surrealism, which isn't about big laughs, but it's about playfulness. That's what really makes this film stand out.
Speaker 2: I think Richard Lesser had other writers in mind, including some of Britain's biggest sitcom talents. What did Alan Owen bring that those writers might not have.
Speaker 3: It's a great question.
Speaker 1: So Richard lest did know a lot of the comedy writers at the time, and Alan Owen, well, he was from Liverpool. He's originally Welsh, but you know, Liverpool was his home. And I think one of the things this film captures very well is the sense of the way that Liverpudlians talk. They have their own code, they have They're very, very witty, and it's something George Harrison has gone on to say that, you know, everyone in Liverpool is very well I mean, in his view, is very sharp tongued and sharp witted. And so if you watch that film, even I as an English speaking person and get all the lines and all the jokes because it moves so fast and they're speaking in their own idiom. But alan On makes it feel authentic as a result, and he's writing dialogue for them that's obviously not necessarily what they would have said, but he kind of plays with what the real persona I were like. So John Lennon is the kind of you know, sharp mouthed, kind of quip quip stuff you know, Ringo's a bit more laconic, you know, Paul is a bit more eager to please. And while subsequently the Beatles in real life might have felt that they were slightly stereotyped by the version of themselves in this film, I like their there being a version of the Beatles that's a fictional version of themselves. And Alan know and did a great job at capturing that. Some of the situations he puts them in, you know, I just thought were really like the press conference scene he wrote. He wrote scenes during the filming, so they they saw how the Beatles responded, So the film was shot more or less in ordin. As they've gained in confidence, they realized George was actually a really good acting at a real presence. He was very laid back, and they wrote that extra scene for him in the ad agency. They wrote the scene for him where he's giving their roadie a shave in the using the mirror in the bathroom, you know, just little moments like that. So there's a sense of the film is responding in real time to what the Beatles are offering up as they go along.
Speaker 2: One of the great Beatles stories Ringo accidentally inventing the phrase A Hard Day's Night. The film's producer, Walter Shenson, needed a title song almost overnight, and by the next morning, John and Paul had delivered A Hard Day's Night. And the detail that the lyrics were written on a birthday card for Julian Lennon. That's another great one. Did you uncover any other small human moments like that which made these larger than my figures feel more relatable? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, that is such a great one, isn't it. Because I one of the things I felt quite moved by was the fact that the real life that John was married, that he had a one year old son. These facts were of kind of kept out of the script, even though it wasn't an official secret that he was married. I thought it was a shame that the reality of the women's lives around the Beatles was sort of kept out of it. One of the stories that I, I mean, I didn't realize, but it was out there if you went looking for it, was that John Lennon's real father had turned up during the shooting of this film. This is the father who had abandoned the family, disappeared off to America, and suddenly it turns up after years at the theater where they're filming, you know, the concert sequences and there's crowds of people trying to get in, and if you remember the film, of course, there's a scene in which the grandfather is trying to get back into the theater and tried to send you know, I'm Paul's grandfather, and the real guy who say I'm John's dad turns up and you know, the message got through to John that your father's turned up, and he said, you know, in no polite terms, to get lost. They did subsequently arrange for him to have a meeting with him. But I just just what a strange and just you know, upsetting things to happen in the middle of all that chaos. I thought there were moments like that, and then things like some of the people who were just on the periphery of this. So there's a photographer called David Hern who had covered the Hungarian uprising. It'd been in places a real danger, and he said he was freaked out by the hysteria that the fans created around the Beatles. He'd never seen anything like it. Needs to ply monopoly with them on the train while they were filming, I was fascinated by even a war photographer was deeply disturbed about the scale of Beetle Banya.
Speaker 3: I thought that was quite interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've heard some Beatle experts talk about that PTSD that all four members must have had in the years following the breakup or the end of the Beatles, because it was it took a while for them to get out of that phase and be comfortable in their own skin and in their own careers. That Can't Buy Me Love sequence is classic. It's such a great representation of youth breaking free from authority and tradition. It's still there when you watch it, probably the most iconic of all the scenes from the film. You call it the most complex in the entire film. What makes it so much more sophisticated than it first appears.
Speaker 1: Well, I love that it's actually shot in three different locations weeks apart, because you know, you just assume that it's just all in the editing. But the scene where they come out on the far escape and they go we're out, that's one location. That's the Hammersmith Odie in the West London as it was in ald Cinema, and then they run down that fire escape and then when they're running across the field. That was shot in Eiseleworth near he Through Airport. In fact, a community group got in touch with it and they did a screening of the film in those same playing fields just the other weekend to mark, you know, Paul McCartney's birthday, which was lovely because the playing field is still a place you can visit. I've been there. But the other location is Gatwick Airport, Britain, London second airport and they basically had a helicopter and if you think about it, when they first seemed to run into the field, the suddenly you're very aware that it's a judgery shot. It's the helicopter going up and that's where they were shot from a distance, running around larking in the field. And what's interesting is that that was in a way the first part of the sequence that was shot. But the cameraman was an experienced ex military cameraman had shot a lot of planes, had shot to air raids over Germany and stuff for Winston Churchill and they footage ascent to number ten Downing Street for him to monitor what was going on. So he'd gone up with a helicopter and when he got up, he realized that the battery in the.
Speaker 3: Camera was run down. The footage was.
Speaker 1: Running through at low speeds. When he played it back a normal speed, it had that speeded up silent movie slapstick effect. So they shot the rest of the stuff kind of to match it. So Richard Lester was very good at responding to an accident and saying, well, let's make this a feature, because he loved Buster Keaton. There's a whole sequencer chase sequence later with the Policeman, which is based on Cops nineteen twenty two. Bus to keep the film, so they shoot the stuff in the playing field later, and they mock up a version of the helipad so it looks like it's the same location and they speed up the footage, but those are three different locations shot weeks apart, and at one point John Lennon isn't even there because they used to film, despite the fact that they all had other commitments and John Lennon went off to a literary luncheon for his first book, And so there's moments when they seem to be doing like a dosey dough on the helipad and the camera is being held, but what you assume is John and he points the camera down at his feet and his beetle boots. That's Richard Lester, you know. So sometimes they substitute. He substitutes himself for the missing beetle. So you wouldn't know any of this, and literally unless you went looking for the information. And I read a lot of interviews that he had done with people at steven Soderberg Accounts, had given at previous screenings. Because the Richard Lester is very much still alive, but just very frail, and he still lives in England. And I think, more than anything, I wanted this book to be homage to him as an American who made Britain it's his home. And together with the American producers of this film, I love that it took a true of Americans to give the Beatles back to Britain and the world as the most exciting new British phenomenon.
Speaker 2: How much of Hard Day's Night, Oh, is it's magic to accidents like you mentioned, like the sped up film effect only because the camera batteries running low, and that Richard Lester was smart enough to keep I mean, how much of the movie has those moments?
Speaker 1: A lot has it, and I think one of the best of those moments is that within the first two to three seconds of the opening film, when you suddenly start with that cord of the opening track and you see through the Beatles are running down that alley next to Maribone station and George trips over and falls flat hard on his face, Ringo lands on top of him. They get up and they keep running, you know, And that happens a couple of times things like that. I mean, in that whole sequence, there's a lot of fans falling over quite badly in the crush, so you have that sense there's real peril, there's real jeopardy. If they hadn't got up and run again, you know, would they be able to shoot that sequence? Everything shot as fast as it can be because they never know when the police are going to shut down shooting, as they sometimes did this if the crowds are too big, or the crowd might get out of control. And you know, they had a moment after the first day of shooting on the train where the young technician was carrying the cans of film looked a bit like a Beatle and he starts to being chased by girls and he tried to outrun them, and he dropped a load of the film and they had to, you know, abandon some of the tape that got lost, So the whole film has a sense of urgency about it. And there's another moment when they're rehearsing a number in the studio when George leans on his amp and it kind of starts to always fall off its stand and you actually hear the.
Speaker 3: Thump of it. So I think all that adds to a sense.
Speaker 1: Of authenticity, doesn't it that he left all these accidents in.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's why it stands up so well over time as well, because there are those real moments. You suggest that A Hard Day's Night helped create the modern music video. When people talk about the birth of MTV modern music video, does the camp Binmen Love sequence deserve to be at that center of the conversation.
Speaker 3: I think it does.
Speaker 1: And in fact, even before that, the very first pop video I'd argue is when they're on the train and they go into that guard's character they're playing cards and the music starts up of I should have known better?
Speaker 3: I think think it is, isn't it?
Speaker 1: And if you watch that sequence, it's the first time in cinema that you start to hear the song before you see them singing or performing it, and then it's suddenly jump cuts to them in the same seats, but they're playing instruments. We take it for granted that pop videos work this way. No one had ever done this before. It's all in the editing. The way that Paul even looks like he's miming along or jiggling his head to hearing the song on the radio, the next moment singing it out loud, and then the can'tbine we love sequence is the kind of you know, it's arguably the inspiration for The Monkeys. I mean, the whole TV show spins out of these running zany foursome of guys playing around in a field in a slapstick way. There's a huge amount of slapstick in sixties pop music cinema, even before the MTV comes along. And I find it quite ironic, Eric that MTV has basically been shutting down across Europe. It's you know, very much in retreat, and that this film has outlived the art film that had invented. I mean, they famously gave him a Vanguard Award in nineteen eighty four as the father of the the pop video and he jokingly demanded a paternity test, but you know he's outlived his child again. And the other one i'd point out looking ahead a bit because I look at the other films that they made, and including Help, which is their follow up with Richard Leicester. Those films all shot the pop music treatments in that film in the studio with a cigarette smoke sort of filtered through blue lights. Or they're in the Bahamas with these beautiful girls, all again shot through beautiful sunlight. I mean that interspitual the jurand Geran exotic videos of the ninety six eighties like Rio, doesn't it?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? Samira I met as the author of A Hard Day's Night, part of the British Film Institute's Film Classics series. David Jansen plays the young truant who meets Ringo during one of the film's most memorable sequences. What insights did he share about working with the Beatles and Richard Lester.
Speaker 1: Oh, it was such a joy to talk to David Jansen, who he realized is one of the few members of the original Casters still around because he was ten years old at the time and now he's in his seventies, and one of the things is he was quite an o experienced actor. He had been in the stage production of Oliver for about a year and he'd done a lot of television, so he turned up with his own clothes on the shoot. He hadn't realized that Ringo was incredibly hungover. It comes straight from an all nighter. I love the way the Beatles. We talk about burning the candle at both ends, and they did that a lot. So they cut back a lot of the dialogue that they had scripted for Ringo, and the dialogue was written to be learned in short bursts. They didn't expect the Beatles to be learning pages and pages. They would learn it on the day. Do the scene, move on to the next scene. So they cut that right back, and he described beat you to me the way that they improvised with the fiddling with the camera. They're walking alongside each other, which wasn't the original plan, riginal plan where they stood and looked at each other and talked to each other. But the reason that suit still works is something very modern. Isn't there about two men who can't quite communicate, and so it's like driving along next door to each other in a car, isn't it, And you talk to your son without looking at him, and you can share things if you're not looking at each other in the eye. I also love the fact that there's something very poetic about Ringo essentially encountering his childhood's self, because he had in real life played Truant as a child on the shores of the River Mersey, as captured in the lyrics of the Glass Onion. So all there are all these echoes underneath, whether you know or didn't know this stuff that comes into that. And though I don't want to spoil it because I won't be able to read the book, I was shocked to realis David Jensen that he was supposed to be in another scene later on in the film, And that's one of the possibly the only era of judgment I would argue that Richard Lester made, which is failing to have that return of his character, which would have had a lovely symmetry to it when he was sposed to turn up again, and David explained how and why it was that he wasn't included in that scene.
Speaker 2: You suggest that Victor Spinetti's frantic TV director was inspired by the BBC producer that Lester observed that day. Talk about that and how much of a hard day's night is rooted in those real moments that he witnessed firsthand.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, so there's such a lovely role an rich fix Spietti who plays this very uptight, concerned director who doesn't really understand pop music but is very very anxious about it all going horribly wrong and.
Speaker 3: Then the band not turning up. Richard Lester said two things.
Speaker 1: One was that it was supposed to be a sort of exaggerated version of himself because Richard Lester spent ten years in television. He directed hundreds and hundreds of light TV shows, a lot of the mistakes like Grandfather coming up through the trapdoor with stuff that he'd witnessed, so he's working in all these jokes about how television works. When Richard Lester got the job and was just definitively going to be working on the film, he went along see the Beatles in action and meet them. And it was at a theater in London where they were supposed to be for a show, and there was complete chaos and the Beatles turned up late. They were very good humored through it all the way that they always were. But the director of this TV special was the BBC director was absolutely frantic and tearing his hair out with the kind of anxiety. So when Richard left a witness doll that he thought, this is all part of the story, isn't it that everyone around them is kind of caught up in the anxiety of it. And one of the things I subsequently found, which I quoted the book, is you know, there were a lot of other TV shows that they did, and there was a great TV appearance they've done in nineteen sixty three. Again it was a live show, which is what the scene in this is supposed to be, supposed to be a live broadcast concert on television, and the director of it had had to write a big explanation to the head of his department about why it have been such a disaster because no one could hear anybody else. The Beatles were seeing out of tune because they couldn't hear themselves over the screaming. The cameras were always on the wrong shot because they didn't have any direction because they couldn't hehar the director. And so I love the fact that this film in a sense is an artifice because when the content happens like spoilering, like the concert goes beautifully. But of course when they shot these sequences for the feature film, the Beatles were actually miming in a theater full of screaming fans rather than playing live. So there is an artifice in conveying the controlled chaos of it.
Speaker 3: And I like that.
Speaker 1: You know, in the end, the film looks good because Richard Lesson, you went to fake stuff and went to do stuff for real. And I did interview two of the girls who are in that constant sequence. He was screaming along, so that was quite insightful as well.
Speaker 2: He's the most valuable player I think here of all the decisions he's made and the things that he did to make this movie stand up so well over time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I mean I particularly appreciate it. I think one of the biggest things that I learned was how he had made this one of a successful by using television techniques. So in live TV, you have multiple cameras on the act and you cut between them live from the director's booth. In cinema usually you have maybe one or two cameras and those is probably just one and you shoot the same sequence repeatedly, and instead he just got all the best camera when he could the time there was a lull in the British film and it's just they got the top camera operators in the UK and they just because they knew they wouldn't be able to hear anything of the screaming, they said, just shoot and shoot and shoot when the Beatles are playing whatever you like, and then they compose the whole film in the edit. So part of the frenzy of that concert sequence is sometimes you see a camera and it starts like it's on ringos face and it's only zooms at high speed across the theater to catch and it jiggles around looking for a place to land. And those were not moves that were shot to be included in the edit. They were shot just to find the next good thing. And then the idea is that you know you could then, but Richard Lester thought, no, I can use some of that that gives. So you know, he uses the stuff that you're not supposed to see to help convey the energy.
Speaker 3: And again we take it for granted.
Speaker 1: Now we have all those reality style comedy shows like The Office, where you know it's there's a camera crew and that pulls the focus or it zooms around to catch someone just off the edge. I mean, Richard left arkadly invented all those formats. There's a sitcom feel to this that is fifty years ahead of its time.
Speaker 2: Wow. Never even thought about that as well. Yeah, so you argue that the story of women in a hard day's night is much richer than the stereotype of just screaming girls. What do modern audiences miss when they reduce speedlemania to that single image.
Speaker 1: Well, for a start, they're patronizing, and I think it's very interesting that whenever pop bands or pop stars have big female fan followings, they always dismissed. So David Bowie's teenage girls often excluded from the story of his fame, and they're a huge part of his story, And in fact, I made a documentary about them called I Dressed Siggy Stardust, which pointed out that, you know a lot of his early fans were the teenage girls who influenced his dress and so on, and the Beatles as well. Everything was just produced to all those streaming girls. Now, they're obviously a big part of it. But one thing, and the photographs. What book is full of photographs. There are a lot of boys in the audience screaming along too, which I think is interesting. But if you look at the world that the Beatles moved through, you know, through the TV studio and through the news conference, and in the hotels and so on, in the nightclubs where they try to escape, they're encountering adult women of their own generation are a little bit older, sophisticated city women who are in nightclubs with their boyfriends or working in an advertising agency or assistant directors. And I like the idea of it capturing this changing world of work where women's opportunities were opening up in a big way. And of course it started to be reflected in the Beatles songwriting, where they're encountering, you know, rather than just writing the songs which were written to a kind of fifties formula, a bit brill building style about you know, I want to hold your hand and she loves you. It's not to write songs like you won't see Me or Norwegian Wood I once had a girl, or should I say she once had me? You know, songs that you are more about women who aren't at the beck and call of their men, and I feel all that transition is going on in this film. And I love that I was able to identify one of the girls in the nightclub who's a really famous fashion design in Britain called Adina Ronne. And she's in the scene where she's got a long blonde hair and she's drinking glass of wine. John Lennon's talking to her, and she's sitting with what's presumably her boyfriend, and if you look carefully, her lovely leather booted leg is erotically cupped by her boyfriend's holding her foot in his hand.
Speaker 2: A chat.
Speaker 1: It's such a love little and that's one of the photograph that put in the book. And I loved just taking them time to revel in actually what interesting women characters are in this film. They're not in it for very long. And there's Anna Quail, the theatrical figure that John Lena bumps into in the theater goes. I think she knows him, but she can't quite place him. You know, these lovely little cameos. They're so rich, aren't they, And they just they give you a sense of there's so much more to it. The one thing that I think is a shame and it is and it's not you know, Richard Lester was deliberately being sexist. But I think it's a shame that the school girls on the train were a little bit you know, finger in mouth like Toddler's and I know that, you know George Mett's wife, Patty Boyd, you know, and so there's a lovely meat cute there. But I thought it was a shame that that's the that's kind of image that I think is dated a little bit. And similarly, there's a woman in the nightclub who incidentally is the bond girl that you see in the title sequets to Goldfinger, with all the title sequence is projected onto her bikini clad body, Margaret Nolan. But she plays a kind of comedy big busted because you know, woman in the casino who has no lines of dialogue. And I think some of those that's to do with the script. I mean, there was a whole scene that was cut Eric which was quite sexist, and you know, I think on the whole they had a good eye for not they, but the producers around them had a good eye for what would and wouldn't work the film. That's no, it's not mean spirited. And the other thing I wanted to mention is that there was a whole scene that was written for Ringo which is quite racist. It would have had him going into a shop and I've got the original scripts and talked about a quote typical Jewish proprietor and trying to make a sale that would fool a load of black sailors. And the Beatles ever got to see that scene. I mean, the producer bad Nstein just saw it and just said, no way, that's racist. And so you know, there were some really good instincts and the decision makers around the Beatles as well as they themselves be of course, very passionately anti racist, which meant this film has not dated in the ways that a lot of other films have.
Speaker 2: That's what I was about to ask, is a lot of nineteen sixties films of age poorly in terms of race and gender. But maybe those decisions are why it's largely of did that fee?
Speaker 1: I think there's two factors. I think one factor is that Brian Epstein, like a lot of managers at the time, wanted to keep romance plots out of the film, and so it means that you don't have female characters doing, you know, and it's such a big role that they might be then written in a stereotypical way, which I think helps. But the other factor is that I think Richard Lester's background in comedy means that the women in the film are there sometimes little comedy moments, you know. So the secretary in the advertising agency who's appraising George Harrison for an advertising gig, not quite realizing he's the real thing, you know. It's quite a sophisticated form of comedy, you know, and it's I think that's what he brought. And if you look at I mean it's a great show that Richard Lester made with Spike Milligan, called a show called Fred, and there was a sequel that called Son of Fred. Made us far back as the nineteen fifty six, so only a year or so after independent television began in the UK, offering some competition with the BBC. And it's astounding how many interesting female characters there are, how surreal it is. Piece Sellers is in it as well. It breaks the fourth wall. It's that sense of, you know, women can be just interesting comedy character types rather than stereotypes. And I think that's why this film works in that sense, it doesn't have just doesn't have the dated opinions that we're still at large.
Speaker 2: Then you know, find the bookdown Rock website at booked on Rock dot com. There you can find all the back episodes of the show, the latest episode in video and audio, links to all of the platforms where you can listen to the podcast, plus all the social media platforms were on Blue Sky, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, and x. Also check out the Booked on Rock blog, find your local independent bookstore, find out all the latest hot rock book releases, and before you go, check out the Booked on Rock online store, pick up some Booked on Rock merch. It's all at booked on Rock dot com. Reading the letter by BBC TV director Barney Colehan, I think that's pronunciation cole hand. It sounds as though Beatlemania created technical problems television simply wasn't prepared for at that time. How did Richard Lester overcome those challenges in a hard day's night.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the director I was thinking of when I talked earlier about how they shot the constant sequences very practically. Richard Lester knew that although he was trying to create the idea that they're doing a live TV broadcast.
Speaker 3: He was very practical.
Speaker 1: About how he shot it, so the Beatles mind those songs repeatedly in that theater. They shot over the course of the whole day with that crowd. Richard Lester moved that audience around. So although there's the stalls and there are two circles and balconies, he either filled the stalls or he filled the upper circles. And if you watch the film carefully, you can see moments where one section is actually black.
Speaker 3: It gets blacked out and it's not lit, so the emphasis is somewhere else.
Speaker 1: So he took the time over the course of a day to capture what looked like of a live gig, but shot it really carefully, and I think that's the key.
Speaker 2: A young Phil Collins one of the children in the audience during the concert filming. Did you uncover any interesting stories of out Phil's day on a Hard Day's Night that maybe didn't make it into the book?
Speaker 1: No, I mean Phil Collins had narrated some of the DVD extras for A Hard Days Night at its fiftieth anniversary release, I think, or even earlier. So I'd watched that back and he actually had. I don't think it has many memories of the other and they're just being overwhelmed. The other future pop star, of course, was in the audience was Linda Lewis, who did a singer a lot with the likes of David Bowie and stuff as well. So I love that there are two future pop stars in that audience, and then a different kind of musical style you could argue is someone I met through social media. Her mother was in the opera scene. There's a scene where they're rehearsing for a clip from Deflator Mouse by Strauss and the grandfather suddenly comes up through the trap door in it, and they recruited these singers from the Royal College of Music at Central London, and someone had just gone around the canteen and said, you want to be in this film for shooting it twicken in studios, it's ten pounds, it's quite a lot of money. And they all had to learn a few bars of Deflator Bus and they came delivered it. And that was one of the lovely stories because this woman said she didn't want to give her name for some reason. She wanted to not be named in the book. I don't know why, but she talked about going to the canteen. They filmed this, took them studios with a couple of the other singers, and they were still in their kind of durandal, you know, sort of German rustic peasant costumes, and they went out to Paul McCartney's for an autograph. Of course, Paul McCartney had studied, you know, English literature at a level which is the kind of senior school qualification, and he started to quote Tennison at them, do you come from Haunts of Coot and Hern which is quite a famous poem that was widely taught in schools at the time. And she remembered that, and I love these little insights into you know.
Speaker 3: There was all.
Speaker 1: I mean, the thing that really comes across about the Beatles is they were all really smart. And Ringo probably had the least schooling of them all, but the other three were all grammar school boys. They were all quick witted. As you discussed, you know, Ringo came up with this ringoism of a hard day's night, and you came up with eight days a week and all these kinds of phrases, so you know, they were all quick verbally, and they had a huge range of interest in kind of they were interested in classical music and pop music and and anything that was going in poetry and all of that, and television and film and all of those references are kind of the present, aren't they. In the way that the Beatles interact with each other and their fans.
Speaker 2: That's how they were able to handle the press too quick questions because they had a bunch of questions getting thrown at him, and so they were able to be witty and not be able to say anything that's going to get him in hot water. Were the exception of you know that Lenin famous Lenin moment, you know, the bigger than Jesus moment. But otherwise they had those funny comebacks.
Speaker 1: Can I just say about that? I mean, I don't know how you feel watching it back. And British journals could be just as inane, But there was something about the way those America that American press call didn't seem to get the Beetles at all and asked such inane questions. And I thought the Beatles were really smart. They didn't just say that's a stupid question. They just batted it back with, you know, with their quick wit, and they made I think they made the press fall in love with them, because they didn't mock the press exactly, but they laughed.
Speaker 3: They laughed at them.
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah, at first they just thought, who are these these kids with the strange haircuts from the UK? You know, they didn't know what to think at the time, And yeah, they just they fell in love with them.
Speaker 3: Okay, what's one other thing?
Speaker 1: Just was an American insight. So the future Olivia Harrison, of course, was a teenager in California at the time this film came out. I had interviewed her at at the launcher of the Beatles sixty four documentary, which came out a couple of years ago on Disney Plus, and she talked about the importance of the Beatles hair, which is of course captured in such glory in this film up closed a lot of the time. But she said, how you know, being a high school teenager and you never saw her like that, you know, everyone had the preppy look or they were sporty jocks, and that it was a real shocking thing to see young men with such lovely hair, and that it freaked out a lot of American men, both teenage boys themselves and their dads.
Speaker 3: I don't know what your memories are.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I mean your father has told me. Right, I was going to say, it's before my time, but sure, I remember. No, that's okay. My mom and dad talked about that. How Yeah, they that was kind of it was a culture show. It wasn't something anybody had been prepared for. But what's interesting here about in the States is during that time, it was like this welcomed relief or outlet for teenagers here in the States after the John F. Kennedy assassination. You know, That's what you know, my parents have talked about, and other people from that generation, like man, they just kids needed somewhere to release that all that pent up sadness and frustrations over the changing times, and it was like they just came along at just the right time, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I'm fascinated by the fact that the Beatles had signed the contract to make this film in October sixty three, but by the time they start shooting it in March sixty four, they've already been on Ed Sullivan and they have become the biggest band in the world. And somehow they're still shooting on the streets of London without any big security or anything, you know, And as I mentioned once or twice in the place, we turn up and saying I'm sorry, you're not alatitude on the streets day because it's dangerous. They would improvise it, go inside the theater, and they shot the press conference sequence a couple of days earlier than planned, just improvising, and they managed to bring up people to come play it being the journalists and wrote and journalists had turned out to watch the shoot. But the fact that the Beatles are already the biggest thing in the world and they're shooting a film just on the streets, and also crucially, they're still enjoying it. They're not, even though they are trapped by the fame, the joy they have when they're performing for each other, you're right, and even when they're running from crowds, the way that they laugh and they look at each other, you can tell it's still joyful for them. And I think within a year that's all changed, hasn't it.
Speaker 2: But within a couple of years, yeah, then it just becomes just unbearable. They stopped touring because they know they didn't feel anybody was taking their music seriously, just screaming fans wherever they played, and that's why they stopped touring. But John later admitted that he was the band was worried that their old friends from Liverpool might think they sold out. But despite all those worries, two hundred thousand people turned out for the Liverpool reception. Was that the more that the Beatles realized they hadn't lost Liverpool after all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's something that's a really astute observation.
Speaker 1: They were more worried about going to Liverpool for the Northern premiere than they were about the original world premiere in front of Princess Margaret in London because being from Liverpool going back home and being you know, they were worried, as I quote John in the book, are saying that you know that they had somehow they had become too clean, they'd kind of sold out in a way, and he's argues that we sort of had. And there's great news footage, The original newsual footage that were shot by Grenada Television is available at the BFI Archives. I went and watched a lot of this footage, and you know, you can tell they just they're just so touched by the crowd. There's two great stories, one of which is of course John doing one of his notorious Hitler salutes. Not because I think he was, you know, thinking of himself as Hitler any more than he thought of himself as Usus Christ. But I mean, partly it was just a trope at the time all British school boys were obsessed with World War Two. But also there's something about these adulation, the adulation of these crowds, and I think he's got a kind of ironic distance from it, like why these so many hundreds of thousands of people turning up to waive at me? You know, it's seen madness. But the other story that I've learned since writing the books, it might go to second edition is Michael Palin, of course, was a very good friend.
Speaker 3: Of George Harrison.
Speaker 1: George Harrison's big supporter of the Python, and that's part of the subsequent story of A Hard Day's Night is you know how they all went on to pursue film in different ways. And I didn't realize that George Harrison had stolen the trun should belonging to the Chief Police Constable of Merseyside Police on that Northern premiere in Liverpool and he kept it all those years, And at some point in the nineteen eighty I was reading Michael Palin's diaries from that decade quite recently, and one day for his birthday, George Harrison just gave him the truncheon that he had stolen from the premier.
Speaker 3: He was quite a rule breaker with George.
Speaker 1: People think it was John, but I think George is the one who's really the most anti authority, and I love that he just lifted the truncheon and kept it as a souvenir.
Speaker 2: We know they captured the minds and hearts of the youth in the UK and the States. But what's interesting is that many older critics were pleasantly surprised by the film. Why did A Hard Day's Night win over so many reviewers who might have been expected to dismiss a Beatles movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that really surprised me.
Speaker 1: I went through all the old press cuttings, and almost universally, with the exception of the Financial Times reviewer and ironically Sight and Sound, which is the kind of siniesques magazine, people loved them. And I think it was partly a lot of these reviewers were relatively speaking Middle Ages and were probably in their late thirties or forties. They hadn't known what to expect, and they were charmed by the fact the Beatles were really interesting, charismatic people.
Speaker 3: I mean, like Elvis.
Speaker 1: This is one of the biggest things that emerges from watching the Beatles on film. They have a natural charisma and charm. And I know Elvis's films weren't all that good, but he's always watchable and he's always wonderful in everything. As far as I'm concerned, the Beatles were like that. They were themselves, and they had a warmth that just came through the camera. And these critics got to work out, like they would say in the reviews, oh I can tell them apart now they noticed how much came naturally to them. They can made comparisons to the Marx Brothers or Buster Keaton or Charlie Chaplin. You know, this was high praise at a time when those filmmakers were being were highly regarded, and and even in Germany where you know the spiel magazine, which you know you thought how to cope with the translation, they talked about that it's a treat for sinyasts, so I think they surprised everyone, and they also particularly their their magnetism, and there's an animal sexuality, even though it's slightly diluted by the comedy that surrounds them in this film. Some of the critics comparing them to other British pop stars as a pop starck called Cliff Richard who whose music whose musicality was quite an influence on them, and Hank Marvin and the guitar playing in this band, the Shadows was a big influence on on the guitar playing of the Beatles, and he'd been considered a big heart drop up until this point, but he suddenly looks like nothing compared to the energy of the Beatles, and.
Speaker 2: That the next thing.
Speaker 1: I know, And I don't know how what you made of that section in the book, because it's he never made it in America, although he made a couple of big films that had very much an American audience in mind, particularly Summer Holiday, which was the second film that came out a year before Hard Day's Night. But it was ironic that those films were made to an American formula to try and break through in America, and they don't work. Whereas the film that The beatlesmaker Hard Day's Night is deliberately a black and white. It's an art house film. It looks like the French nouvelle varg you know, it doesn't quite make sense. There's no love interest. It breaks all the rules. They don't even speak in you know, recognizable Southern English and posh English. You know, the American the Americans is all. The first screening of it at Billy Wilder's house said you're going to redub this, surely you know?
Speaker 3: And they didn't.
Speaker 1: You know if you didn't understand it while you just got carried on on by their charm. I mean that's These are all reasons why the film has endured, because it dared to be completely original, and originality is always what endures, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe that's why did joined the book by observing that while we grow older, the Beatles, you know, A Hard Day's Night never do. Why do you think those four young men still have What do you think they have to say to audiences in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: I think they speak of the joy of camaraderie and friendship, of sticking up for each other, about living in the moment, and about celebrating doing what you do really well. They were great musicians and they that songwriting, that sense of the performance of doing their music to the best their abilities. That's hugely inspiring for us all, isn't it?
Speaker 2: Final question? If you could sit down with John, Paul, George and Ringo today, ask them one question about a hard day's night, what would it be.
Speaker 1: It's tricky because I have sat down with Paul mccartner. I interviewed him for a couple of hours for his book Lauge, and the thing is, I don't know how much they would remember because it was just one It was a period a few weeks in the whorld of their life. I suppose, I would argue, is if they watched the film again, you know, are they how do they feel about it now? Because I think at the time they liked it, they wanted to make more films. But over the time, I think they're worried that it caught them in an aspect in a way, the cliche of the sort of the mop tops, and of course they moved on so quickly from that. So I'd like them to watch it afresh and then tell me, now, can you see why this will listen Jed.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much for checking out the Booked on Rock podcast. If you've just found the podcast, welcome. If you've been listening, thank you so much for your support, and make sure you tell a friend, a family member, share on social media and let people know about Booked on Rock. And if you do like the podcast, make sure you subscribe give a five star review. Wherever you listen to the bookd on Rock podcast, We're on Amazon, Apple, iHeart, Spotify, Spreaker, tune in in on YouTube music. You can check out the full episodes on video, along with video highlights from episodes on the bookdown Rock YouTube channel. Find it at Booked on Rock. Thanks again for listening. Now back to the show. The book is titled The Hard Day's Night. It's part of the British Film Institute's Film Classics series. It's out now. Find out where her books are sold. Look for at your nearest bookstore. Go to book down Rock dot com to find your nearest independent bookstore. Where can people find you online?
Speaker 1: Samarra, I've got a blog called Samera Armored dot Blog. I should say I am not the same Samera Armored as a great Chicago based writer Samra Armed who's a young adult writer. But she's a friend of mine, you know, I like and I have interview that she's brilliant, but she wrote books like this book Won't Burn and Hollow Fires. But she's a different smera armored to me. We often get each other's emails, which is quite entertaining, but that's and I'm also on on Blue Sky and X at Samira Armored UK. And I should say there's also an audiobook of this which you might enjoy all.
Speaker 2: Right, well, as usually I always put the links to all of those in the show notes so people can find you and reach out to you.
Speaker 1: And can I mention one other thing, which is I have a podcast called Through the Square Window where every month me and my co host we look at vintage TV shows from a month of a year, so we did nineteen eighty seven.
Speaker 3: Recently we looked at Moonlighting, for example.
Speaker 1: I have to subscribe a bit like with this book, you look through something from the path through the prism of what was going on at the time, what's the social history moment, but also how does it look today? Can we see the start of something or do we see something that has dated and is obsolete, like an.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm literally subscribing right now before I let you go. What's the name.
Speaker 3: Of it again? Through the square window.
Speaker 2: Through the square window. I am a TV fanatic. Are we talking about? Is it Moonlighting with Bruce Willis?
Speaker 3: Are we talking about?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And simple Shepherd.
Speaker 2: Watch it every week with my dad. That was a must watch.
Speaker 1: We looked at the first episode of Twin Peaks for example. My god that that show holds up.
Speaker 2: Oh, fantastic. Okay, I'm subscribing. Always looking for new podcasts. Okay, great, Samira, thank you, fantastic book. I hope you do a sequel. If you do, come back on we'll talk about it.
Speaker 3: I will I would love to and thank you so much for having me on. It's a reel through.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 3: It's in the books.